Designers » T-Z » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

I have it: 901 I had it: 496 I want it: 644 My signature: 32

Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Videos
Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Elle Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

This beautiful passionate perfume by the house of Yves Saint Laurent arrived on the market in Autumn 2007, hoping to win the hearts of young and modern girls. Tender and distinguished fragrance Elle, designed by two renowned noses, Olivier Cresp and Jacques Cavallier, brings joy with luminous crisp notes of lemon and litchi on peony petals.

Its heart unites Jasmine Sambac, rose and freesia, with youthful accords of pink berries, while the base caresses woody notes of vetiver, patchouli, and cedar.

The face of the fragrance is young and extravagant 18-year-old Coco Rocha. The advertising campaign, as well as the bottle design, can say a lot about the perfume: it is a young, but pretentious fragrance within the frame of the "modern classic."

Amalfi Lemon Peony Litchi

Jasmine Pink Pepper Rose Freesia

Vetiver Patchouli Cedar Ambrette (Musk Mallow)

Midnight Poison
Elle Intense Eau de Parfum
Perles De Lalique
Elle Shocking

Elle Fragrance Reviews

bunnberry
bunnberry

This is my signature fragrance. I absolutely love it. It's perfect, a bit sweet but not over the top, with a peppery twist that makes it so unique, elegant and mature.
Is it really discontinued? I bought myself one because I was running out, so sad! :(

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Quite an old-fashioned smelling scent for today's audience but in a good way - simply put not the run of the mill scent which is released nowadays - freesia and patchouli, lots of rose and pepper but the litchi kills it for me. Nice on others but not for me

auroramaria
auroramaria

I can't find Elle in shops anymore I can only find it online so I guess it has been discontinued.
I love Elle I find it ultra feminine and sultry.
It opens floral fruity with peony and litchi thencomes rose and jasmine drying down woody and musky.
When I wear Elle I always get compliments it's an unusual scent and not terribly popular.

lizzie81
lizzie81

I tried this today for the very first time, I know, where have I been!? It was instantly familar, for two reasons, firstly lots and lots of people seem to wear this, I've smelt this countless times on strangers without knowing what it was....mystery solved. Secondly is quite reminiscent of Sarah Jessica Parker 'Lovey' and Narciso Rodriguez for her.

This has a truck load of patchouli and fruits with an underlying smokey/wood note (the cedarwood, I resume) and a touch of spice. Now I LOVE patchouli and I LOVE woodsey notes, you'd think this perfume would be perfect for me, but somehow it leaves me feeling bored :( I think I've over smelled it and having never actually worn it myself that is saying something. There is no wow factor in here that would warrant the price tag either. I find this with most YSL fragrances, this is a designer I am only starting to explore but so far I'm not that impressed. I expected a lot given the price but it hasn't delivered. This is true of the newer fragrances of theirs not the older ones, for example 'Rive Guache' is undoubtidly a masterpiece one that I simply must get my hands on before too much longer or go insane! But the newer ones are mediocre and over priced. 'Parisienne' is 'pretty' and 'light' but with zero lasting power or silage and not much more to be interested about. Come on Ysl, you can do better, think 'Opium' etc. Even Belle d'Opium had more character! (actually quite liked that one)

Oops looks like I've gone on a Ysl rant! Well I suppose I can't expect to absolutly adore everything they put out. Back to 'Elle'. Nice but eh, I want more from a top designer. Dry down is very seductive and just melts into my skin ok, 'Elle' you begin to redeem yourself. Initial blast is quite sharpe and a little unpleasant. All in all, nice but just hasn't won me over.

quency1
quency1

Elle has a dark mysterious side that it gives me confidence and dare. It is one of the best exotic scent that I had.

isabelamattarelli

BOLD! intense, amazing, elegant, powerfull
herbal-mint-patchouli, some floral-fruity notes to equilibrate and a woody base.
Great sillage and lasting power! Happily, its not a common juice and has a masculine vibe, different from all the gourmands extremely sweet scents...
Fits the winter time perfectly!

i love when patchouli is medicinal-herbal-mint just like in elle, femme individuelle, gucci by gucci, midnight poison...
maybe elle is my favorite parfum now! my dad gave it to me yesterday

i cant believe it was discontinued... just like midnight poison :'(

lifeofcarrot
lifeofcarrot

This perfume is nothing like my usual taste as I prefer scents with more musky, powdery accords. I hated it at first and so it is very puzzling to me that I feel so strangely drawn to it.
It is very, very, very sweet. And when I put it on, the scent is strong, heavy and almost overwhelming. Sometimes I feel it at the back of my throat, that's how sweet and heavy it is - even with just one splash on my wrist.

But when the initial strength passes, the perfume reveals a delicate combination of components and one after the other, the individual notes start to stand out. And that's when it starts to get interesting. I can't help but sniff my wrists multiple times a day just to smell that sweet, sweet coctail of flowers, fruits and fragrant wood with just a hint of pepper.

kasslee
kasslee

I love everything about Elle, right down to the amazing bottle.
I found this because I love midnight poison and I was looking for an alternative, I agree that they do smell very similar, but this is not as 'damp' smelling as MP. I also agree with whoever said this is a little like pencil shavings, but I still love it!
Elle is modern, sexy and a little mysterious. The perfect night scent.

loada82
loada82

Very beautiful perfume.
I love the scent.

pinktoe
pinktoe

My mom blind bought this one for me two Christmas ago. At first I thought Elle was more of a winter fragrance, with its cedar note and overall woodsy feel, so I saved it for colder times (I'm in the Southern Hemisphere). I tried it a couple of times during winter but it seemed too woodsy for my taste, almost masculine. I was sad, I wanted to like it. I forgot about it for a few months until I was putting my fragrances in order to accomodate some new acquisitions when I bumped into Elle. I sprayed on a little of it on a whim and OH! the delight! I don't know if the fragrance has changed or that it suits warm weather better, whatever the case, I'm looooving it!! It's no longer masculine, the cedar is now warm, surrounded by beautiful sweet roses. It opens with some elegant pencil shavings due to the cedar that appears right away sweeten by some juicy and not at all sour lemon. The dry down is warm, inviting juicy rose and subdued cedar. I so totally LOVE it!!!

smellit
smellit

This perfume smells very close to Subtil of Salvatore Ferragamo, that´s what I think since I smell it and now I see they have the same father, Jacques Cavallier...
I like to wear them at same time, they are pretty soft and inofensive in my skin

When I want to feel like a real girl, I look to YSL fragrances. Often, they are vampish without being full on "in the club", unique enough so as not to be totally boring, but safe enough that they won't wrinkle any noses. They also seem to be equally liked and complimented by men and women.
Elle is, to the best of my ability to describe it, a fruity-woody fragrance. The vetiver is crisp and slightly citrusy and the patchouli is on the cleaner side. The litchi is rather juicy and the lemon is vibrant without smelling like cleaning product.
Elle is woody enough to be a bit edgy, but still very much a "real girl" fragrance. It's a dinner/date/drinks sort of fragrance.
It does bear similarity to Midnight Poison, but it's less "wet". In fact, I find Elle to be a very dry fragrance. If you are looking for a replacement for Midnight Poison or a dirtier Elle, look to Perles de Lalique.

Atticusalexis
Atticusalexis

This is a fragrance that is seemingly light and girly, but it has my friends divided into 2 camps. Those who can't stand it and those who adore it. Personally, I would not go so far as to hate it nor to love it to bits. Elle is a fragrance that is passable in the sense that I would reach out for it if I were lazy to take my pick from my fragrance shelves or just because it is on the table. It is a simple, modern fragrance targeted at the younger crowd. I like the first few whiffs however as it develops I find myself straying a little further from liking it. Having said that, I don't hate it, just that I don't find a particularly good reason to purchase it again in the vast world of fragrance out there waiting for me.

polka
polka

This is pretty potent, straightforward stuff. Very spicy with patchouli and pepper, without a single sweet note into it, it balances between being fresh on one hand and earthy on the other, which makes it kind of unique among feminine frags. I don't get any flowery notes from it. Because of a very strong presence of vetyver, and despite its name, I consider Elle to be more manly than some of men's perfume; it'd be very easy for a man to pull it off.

Although it's too rough and loud for my usual taste, there are times I feel like using a few drops from my sample vials, usually in winter. And, come to think of it, I can't even say I truly like it. Funny...

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

I see a lot of mention of Patchouli but what I am getting is a thick cedar smell. I might get faint patchouli but nothing that screams it. When first sprayed I detect an insect repellent smell. I presume it's the cedar component that seems to remind me of deep woods off. As the fragrance settles it becomes more pleasant. I am trying really hard to like Elle and I am not entirely put off by it, but I was not fascinated with it either. It's sharp and in your face. This is not my personality so I do not know if I can learn to love Elle. But it's worth a try.

thatgirl1269
thatgirl1269

This was a blind buy for me, based on the positive reviews. I also purchased it at full price. I love patchouli, woody, spicy fragrances and couldn't wait to get my hands on this. Unfortunately, on first spray it reminds me of a combination of a texta colour, pencil shavings & old lady smell with a whiff of bitterness that I don't particularly like (the pink pepper, I assume), however, basically it just smells "blah". It smells like just about every 'old' fragrance I've ever come across, even though I realise it's not technically an old fragrance.

On drydown I can pick out (I think) musk, but that's about it. Other than that, all I smell is pencil shavings and/or texta colour! There's absolutely no patchouli or spiciness about this fragrance WHAT-SO-EVER. It just seems like something an old rich lady would wear and, I'm sorry to say it, it's very, very generic - zero components that would make me stop and think "Oh, what a wonderfully unusual fragrance!". It also (thankfully in this instance) has zero silage on my skin as it lasts about 10 minutes.

I'm so very disappointed in this fragrance as I had (super) high hopes, alas, it's not for me. Unfortunately, I feel this fragrance is going to be relegated to the bathroom as a very, VERY expensive toilet spray. Never have I bought a perfume that has found me unable to say a positive thing about it, until Elle. I have no idea how, or why, this has been designated as a "youthful" fragrance - I can't think of too many fragrances that would seem LESS appealing to an 18-year-old than this.

Apologies to those who like Elle, but it honestly doesn't appeal to me at all. I now know why it has been discontinued - there are a million other fragrances out there that deliver what they promise and Elle isn't one of them.

Actually, I take back what I said above about not finding a single positive thing to say about Elle - I have found one. The bottle is very elegant and looks lovely on display. Shame the contents don't match the bottle.

the_new_esta

Wearing this again today... oh my god! It is bewitching! Taking me to a part of my brain that is empty and bathed in luxury that I previously didn't know existed. Must buy another bottle!

the_new_esta

This is THE feminine spicy fragrance. Sexy and expensive smelling - not a hint of cheap smut.
Discontinued they say? That was short lived!! I must buy 20!!
If you can't find it, however - Dior Addict Eau Delice smells very similar, but doesn't have the lasting power (and we all know Dior like to discontinue scents in their new lines too!)

musi1701
musi1701

Riecht sehr gut, blumig, gute Qualität, sehr langlebig. Gehört auch zu meinen Lieblingen!

Denoula
Denoula

Aaaah! I can almost believe that this is how pencil shavings used to smell when I was a schoolgirl. But 5-star, premium pencil shavings. Shavings from the jewelled and gilded pencil of a pretty princess in a fairy-tale by Oscar Wilde.
Lovely.

isabelamattarelli

Hi! Is this one discontinued? I found it in French senhora site and french YSL site but not in americans sites!

henri345que
henri345que

Elle is one of the few Yves Saint Laurent recent fragrances that i like. It seems to me to have the bold aroma of a classic YSL creation but shapped in a modern androginous shape. I like the spicy of pink pepper, that seems to add something slightly fruity with the litchi to the flower accord, which is more spicy than fully floral. The base is woody, with something a little bit incensed and i don't know why but wearing it today the flowers, woods, and spicy aromas made me imagine Elle as the younger sister of YSL NU Edp, one of my favorite incenses of all time.

pritty.peaches
pritty.peaches

Elle is the perfume that perfume for me that lures me back over and over again. If it wasn't so hard to buy for anything less than full retail I would replace my well-used bottle in a heartbeat.

I've seem to go for perfumes that have lychee, rose and/or patchouli and this has all three. When I say that I feel like I'm implying that this smells like any of the other perfumes I own. It doesn't. Not sickly like the lychee heavy smells I liked a while back and rose doesn't control it like it does in many of my others.

I find Elle to be an abrasive scent - like ultra-fine sandpaper in scent form (its a feeling that is rather hard to describe). Something about it seems to tickle at my senses and make me sniff it again.

A big believer in perfumes smell like memories (I intentionally link them together.) This one smells like Christmas in Europe because that's when I wore it for the first time and most consistently.

I look forward to keeping this on my shelf for years to come and someday looking back on it as the scent that defines my early twenties.

shanghaifleur
shanghaifleur

I love this perfume! Elle is in the same category as Midnight Poison and Coco Noir, it's the same type of fragrance, but still not exactly identical. It's an enticing patchouli with a touch of roses to make it feminine and a base of cedar and vetiver to bring a woodsy masculine vibe...A little bit sour, a little bit sweet, it's quite ambivalent, but definitely feminine in a very sophisticated way.

kayraven
kayraven

I've tried a sample of this fragrance and did indeed find it hard to rate since I can't clearly define how I feel towards this perfume. This is not the smell I would usually get to like. Too sweet and strong, but I love rose, jasmine and patchouli and wooden scents in general so I think this is exactly what attracts me so much. I feel it being a bit bitter and that makes me feel like there is something about it. I can't resist smelling it from time to time and find it somewhat sexy. I wouldn't say it's very unique, it's rather quite ordinary. Wouldn't buy, but I might like to receive this as a present.

mozzaa
mozzaa

WOW! Very classy and DIFFERENT. I bought this on a whim b/c I'm sick of all the trite /gaudy florals and gourmands flooding the market. The woodsy smell is balanced by a citrusy/sweet one that injects itself into the projection every now and then. Patch can be overwhelming but here it is well balanced and def. channeled right. A masterpiece that's very different than the wave of sweet fragrances flooding the market. 'Nuff said!

naide
naide

Freaking love this 'fume. Resembles Midnight Poison ALOT. Intoxicating & strong. Love it.

windhill
windhill

I think Elle is on the same line as Midnight Poison and new Miss Dior(cherie). A fruitchouli scent like younger sister of Miss Dior and MP. While Miss Dior is lovely young women who's fell in love with her man. And MP is sophisticated sexy lady who's sipping champagne in the luxury black dress. Elle is an outgoing and glamorous party girl.

It does remind me of MP. But smell completely different. Sweeter and more fruity. A bit sour. Very interesting. I found MP was much more smooth and richer than Elle(but also very aggressive). The opening of Elle is very sharp with patchouli and bright citrus. Then it develops to soft woody floral scent. Sillage a bit soft but lasting power is really good as I can smelled till the next morning. If you think Midnight Poison was too much you can try this instead. It much softer and more feminine.

As a guy I much prefer MP for myself. And Elle for ladies.

Sofy888
Sofy888

love it!! Strong sexy feminine! smells to me sweet and some peper, defenitely for me!)

stormyla
stormyla

This fragrance is way overloaded with Patchouli. There is also a very strong "perfumey" smell to it. Sharp, harsh and biting are what comes to mind. Tried it twice for several hours each time and had to scrub it off both times.

passito
passito

Not an innocent 20 years old scent. It's attractive and suitable for women in their 30s.

carolien1978
carolien1978

I had a tester of this one. It's a very stong and warm scent. Much patchoulli in it. I personally don't like to much of this. It last very long and it's defenitely a evening parfum ( as I see it) Nice for a night out with the girls ;-)

Ouch!
Ouch!

This is a gorgeous feminine patchouli fragrance. It's so very sexy in my opinion and has sparks of glamour! It's great.

Yes, this is a somewhat more feminine version of Midnight Poison to me. I do have to jump on that band wagon but ya know, dare I say, I think I may prefer this. Hmm...

Heavy on the patchouli, smells like glamorous night time florals, just the right amount of spice and makes me think of deep purple. I have the EDP and this has some kick ass throw when you first spray it..whoa.

It exudes pure feminine sexuality and I think it's a "take notice of me" perfume for sure. A head turner and a sex bomb.

Gorgeous, one of my favourite YSL fragances.

DianeL
DianeL

I absolutely love this, and always get lovely comments about it. Beautiful smell. Would definitely buy it again

Migalex
Migalex

I profoundly dislike this scent. Do not understand how they got it with those notes. It does not remind me of Midnight Poison, but rather of Idylle, at first, and later on of Pure Poison. I like Idylle better, although it is not my cup of tea either. Pure Poison I dislike as much as Elle. This fragrance comers across to me as sharp and bitter. Pink pepper does not smell the way I am used to and actually love. I would not indentify it in this fragrance. The spicy character of it has nothing, in my opinion, to do with the pink pepper the way it is used in, for example, Omnia Ametiste, Dahlia Noir or Chloe Intense. This is totally different. Litchi in Miracle for example also smells totally different, and lovely. Might be the ambrette, which I do not know what it smells like, what gives this fragrance its particular character which I relate to Idylle and Pure Poison and deeply dislike. I do not know. I cannot smell freesia in here, the way I smell and love in Vanitas for example, or jasmin, or peony, either. I suppose there are hudreds if not more types of Patchouly and this is one I am not acquainted to. But definitely this scent does not come across to me as earthy either. The notes I can mostly relate this fragrance to are orange blossom, but it is not even listed above, lemon, and some spice, but not pink pepper at all.

This is more woodsy than I remember it, still it is elegant, classy....
perfect for office wear, or special occasions!! As for me, I would prefer if it were softer, but in winter this is a nice one to have...
I think I will wear it once in a while, but not casually..but this is a YSL, quite nice!!
As for me I prefer Cinema!!

xabaras
xabaras

Elle is sharp and peppery. All I can smell is a very strong woodsy note which verges on peppery and almost makes me sneeze. It feels elegant, but it is one of those fragrances which would never merge with my personality. I can only imagine wearing Elle on a special occasion to show off, but given the fact that I have plenty of other fragrance bottles I feel more comfortable with to choose from, I think I will very rarely use this fragrance. It was nice to be able to get acquainted though..:)

elle.ratcha
elle.ratcha

it's fierce !!
Elegant Vivace
It's clever woman scent.

kaejuntun
kaejuntun

MAN! I feel like a woman!

Just bought a bottle of this off of ebay and oh man, oh man, this is some gorgeous stuff!! For me, definitely a scent to be used at night - I LOVE the bite the pink pepper gives the top notes, and the patchouli is AMAZING. Seriously, this is how I want to smell patchouli in a fragrance - earthy and smooth. Totally agree with the reviewer below that this isn't "hippie shop".

It takes a special something for a fragrance to actually feel sexy to me - I have fragrances that make me feel classy, youthful, cozy, beautifl, romantic, ultra-feminine, so one and so forth, but not as many that really hit that sexy vibe just right. So far, Elle does that for me. From the first spray to the dry down I felt like I was doing the fragrance an injustice wearing it around the house in my yoga pants lol. This isn't a dirty-sexy-out-clubbing fragrance either, though. It is classy sexy,tasteful but seductive, feminine like a tailored blazer - fitted to flatter the female figure with masculine accents. DANG! I feel powerful wearing this!

I was afraid to try this because of the patchouli, and I am SO GLAD I decided to to take the plunge and give this a shot. This may very well make it to my top five!

catherine82
catherine82

It is still listed on the UK site...

den1011
den1011

Is this being discontinued? It's not listed on YSL's official web site with the other fragrances of the house.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

This is an unusual patchouli scent, because Elle is fairly sophisticated and does not remind me of a hippie shop.I think "airy" is a good description. It is strong but not cloying or overpowering. The drydown is fruity, which makes Elle the opposite of many fruity florals, where the patchouli is in the drydown. I found this change refreshing.
The sillage was a bit disappointing, and I was expecting more than a moderate longevity, given the other reviews, so while I am adding Elle to my want list, I am not desperate to own a bottle.However, it is a welcome change from the usual.

Foxie
Foxie

The most amazing and beautiful fragrance to me! I feel like someone created it as a signature for me. Why was it discontinued? I will stock up on this. Oh, back to the perfume, it is dark, very sweet, heavy, patchouli and oh so sexy. The sweetness is balanced by delicious earthiness and woodiness. Very unique; I don't think this will suit many people. Those with long dark hair and limbs should try it. Bewitching.

truffles

The pink pepper dominates the topnotes and I'm not keen on that bit but the drydown of Elle is GORGEOUS. So lovely to find remnants of this scent on your clothes or a card in your handbag.
I love patchouli and it is nicely supported here by the other components. I'm not good at picking out notes unless they're strong but freesia is my favourite floral smell so maybe that contributes to me being so enamoured with Elle.
I've really developed an aversion to musk in perfumes recently - weird - but thankfully I don't detect the muskiness of the muskmallow here.
I really don't see the similarity with Midnight Poison - which I like and am familiar with - though, am bemused to see so many votes for that above.
Ps, I've got the EDP but it doesn't seem to smell very strong compared to the one I tried from Boots while on holiday in Northern Ireland.
Maybe it's not so strong in warm weather? Or maybe my nose is weird. Hmm.

xxstarburstxx
xxstarburstxx

I have tried. I have really tried but thats it I am selling it. You shouldn't have to keep trying with a perfume should you? Its lovely. yes. and I can understand why some people go for it but FAR too sweet & heavy for me. No interesting depths.
Longevity & sillage very good - unfortunately.

Patchouli is strong, but not dank. The litchi and lemon brighten it up. Soft, warm spice & musk. The rose & jasmine mingle in the background.
I find this fragrance assertive and sexy. If you enjoy the patchouli in Gucci Rush you will probably also enjoy Elle.
Manages to be a classy patchouli dominated fragrance.

milenamp
milenamp

Long time my favorite. So elegant, sexy and unique.

hautegaunt
hautegaunt

I actually bought this for my Grandmother who used to wear something terrible and outdated. She absolutely loves it and gets compliments all the time. This scent is for women of any age, which I find to be particularly special.

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

Smells 'almost' like Midnight Poison, but sweeter, tamed by the citrus notes, and the patchouli is not as strong as the one in Midnight Poison. Yes, the patchouli scent is there, but it gives way to the other notes to blend in. Good lasting power and silage.
♥ this!

Lefemmenikita
Lefemmenikita

Absolutely love the scent. It doesn't last long on me (clothing or skin) which is the only downside.

julieanneh
julieanneh

Doesn't last on my skin to warrant buying it no matter how nice it smells.

Ana_Raio
Ana_Raio

This scent is wonderful! A worthy scent of a woman! (1000 x sexy). To be worn with high heels to rock ... Somewhat resembles the Midnight Poison, but in a clean version...

tabithacate
tabithacate

One of the perfumes I have loved since I was 14, I am now nearly 21.
The perfume is sweet, sexy and unique. I don't really smell Elle on a lot of people like I do with other fragrances. Unlike a perfume like Angel which I smelt in the shopping centre from miles away.
But for some reason I haven't brought it! Which tells me it isn't that special enough to make me want it.
Overall a really nice scent but it hasn't got that kick that makes me want to drape it over my skin!

Lushylori
Lushylori

I am in love with This fragrance. I plan on buying some very soon.
I think its a very classy yet sexy scent.
Great Job YSL!!!
I love the packaging and the color of the packaging as well.
It reminds me of a high end Lip stick container or something make-upish :)

Hagoand
Hagoand

Simply heaven.Great for winter.

yvankraft
yvankraft

Classy and simple at the same time, Elle can be worn at any moment, for a mass or a fancy party, you'll feel confident and beautiful.
Yes, it's initially fruity, then floral, but by the and, because of the soft patchouli touch it becomes almost chypre. Really worth having this in the warderobe. The bottle reflects the modernity of the creation.
For women? Don't be so sure of this... I am a man and I wear what I like no matter labels say. By the way, when I wear Elle all my friends, male or female, ask: "what incredible smell is this"?

beccamm
beccamm

I tried this on today and had compliments straight away from men and women! Baring in mind I try different fragrances several times and week and this is the ONLY one that has been commented on. My mum also wears this fragrance and its quite unusal for us to go for the same thing. Its lovely and warm on me and I also love the Shocking version (eau de toilette) which is more fresh and reminds me of Ange ou demon le secret - I find them quite different but both really nice, sexy and feminine.

tandi
tandi

I have only has elle for two days and I must say I am kinda disappointed. I tried it on clothes and its a fresh rose with lemon. On my skin all other notes are drowned by the patchouli.Not a huge fun of patch so that's not a good thing.
It has little sillage and moderate lasting power. otherwise a very elegant perfume
EDIT:There is also a very distinct sniff tobacco note in the opening

linzilou92
linzilou92

I tested this in Boot's yesterday and at first I didn't like it. It reminded me of "Kate Moss - Kate" which I owned a few years back and really disliked because it was a bit too masculine for me for some reason.

Then after about twenty minutes I couldn't stop sniffing my arm, it started to smell really good. I think I'll wait until the post christmas sales before I pick a small bottle up but I'm really looking forward to adding it to my collection as its completely different to my usual tastes.

I Just had a quick look at the notes in the Kate Moss perfume and they are very similar but this I like more due to the added sweetness from the lychee!

I would definitely suggest trying this on as it was a nice surprise :-)

shankar1083
shankar1083

Its simple wonderful, sensual, unique, stays forever, and definitely will make guys turn around (those that have wonderful sense of good taste)...from a guys point of view. Please don't over apply it,as it will choke the guys ha ha ha.

bkblan
bkblan

I like it and haven't tired of it as I usually do most other scents. My friend said it smells like medicine. I don't care, I still like it and wear it.

kikiena01
kikiena01

I absolutely agree with dkny27's description of this awesome pefrume. Elle is more of a night time and special occasion scent, so I have an advice for those of you, who want to wear it during the day. Try to mix it with Viva la Juicy by Juicy Couture - it turns more sweet and won't be that peppery and earthy :)
Simply delicious! ;)

GREETINGS FROM THE CZECH REPUBLIC! :)

dkny27
dkny27

A young fresh scent. It opens with a dash of citrusy lemon but the lemon is short lived and the fragrance really blossoms. It's a peppery floral that is alluring but not dramatic. The patchouli is there but it is sweet due to the litchi and blended with the pink pepper, so this isn't very sharp. Great for cooler weather, every day wear or even day to night, just apply with a heavier hand.
I was really surprised with this one, pleasantly. Decent price, decent longevity...... Nice!

blaaaaa
blaaaaa

Last year my mum recived this one as a present from her friend and when she put it on it gave me a headache, I used to hate this perfume so much. After reading a lot of nice comments here and gave this perfume another chance and I liked it. (I tried this one also on some of my friends and I can tell that it can smell really diferent.)
It is more fall/winter smell. Long lasting atleast at me. Totally going to rock it this winter :)

dormir6
dormir6

Beautiful! I love it! So sexy in a woody,smoked tea way. Hard to describe but perfect for everydays and special events too. Confident, simling, natural and original.

Natali8800
Natali8800

Girls,is is true that they stop to produse this parfum?In Duty free they told me this,and in my city I cannot find it anymore:-(

Light soft flowers and citrus with a woody base. Very ethereal but also a bit too sweet on me with the berries and freesia. Okay but very bland. I never got the attitude others did.

carpp79
carpp79

A very cute scent, feminine, delicate. I'd wear it for a first date.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Elle opens with bright lychee and pepper, which--I have to agree with Mad-Lainey--reminds me a little of Miracle.

However, as this fragrance warms, the angelic nature of Miracle flutters off to the heavens as patchouli makes its assertive entrance. Elle then transforms into a decidedly pink and fleshy scent with a some dirty attitude.

Cedar and patchouli are definitely present in the woody drydown. Combined with a carnal balance of sweet flowers and a twist of lemon, what emerges is an overtly sexual, earthy, sultry fragrance that spanks you fully without faltering.

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

In my search for an introductory patchouli fragrance, I've come across this beauty thanks to the great suggestions from the forums. At first application there's a lot of pink pepper, patchouli, and a little bit of red berries. In about 15 mins, comes the heart phase. Cedar lovers - Definitely go for this one! I smell a LOT of cedar and I mean a LOT of cedar! Whew! It's like the smell of a cedar closet. It's not bad but I think this is where a lot of people say they smell toothpaste or something medicinal. It can take that direction as well. So I can see what they're talking about. The dry down is my absolute favorite part... Sweet powdery patchouli with berries. YUMMY - but - I have to wait at least an hour to get there. I've tried this scent on a tester strip a while ago and remember not favoring it much. THIS is why I didn't. Because on a tester strip, I got stuck in the pepper, cedar, patchouli phase. Not bad but not my thing. It's not as feminine as I'd like my perfumes to be for at least half of its stay on my skin. Unfortunately, I cannot wait that long for an olfactory pleasure. It's a pass for me.

Akasha66
Akasha66

Love it, very strong scent,last for ages! absolutely my fav for the winter!! Very sexy smell.... Men love it :)
Got something that men go crazy! but rather for women than for girls,for me it's perfect cause is very elegant sophisticated frag

krmarich
krmarich

After Tom Ford and before L'Oreal came Elle. Like its magenta bottle, its contents matches the color. I can understand the similarities between Midnight Poison, yet it is far too linear to compare. They are both post chypre patcholi bombs. This patcholi is chemically altered beyond its usual limit. Elle is very likeable. It is very "avant gard" in the current market.

Vetiver is only suggested. Oakmoss is sadly absent. Otherwise it would be a modern fruity chypre. The lemon/pink berry/lytchi note somehow work with the synth jasmine/peony. I detect some other florals behind the scenes. Rose? Violet? Iris? Its really solid! You get the quality that only a classic YSL perfume produced. This was the last real YSL perfume.

The cedar is rich and prevalent. Its dryness is surprising for such a modern offering. In December, it warms your heart. In May, it flirts with a sassiness expected by its promotion. For being so modern, it appeals to all ages. Its marketers were lazy. It flopped in the USA. Or did it? It has an underground fanbase that keeps it alive.

czerwinski1
czerwinski1

Wow! very beauty,modern for my nose this is like Perles Lalique.Rose and pepper very elegant,young,i love!.

phanhtofu
phanhtofu

The smell brought me to the image of a passionate, sexy and rebelious woman. I can't like it more!!! I must have it in my collection :X Simply addicted to this one :)

biancag94
biancag94

This is to me magic in a bottle. Feminine, alluring and very pleasant. On my skin is spicy and also flowery. Love it.

MademoiselleMimi
MademoiselleMimi

Too spicy/patchouli for me at first... the dry down is a nice sweet floral, with a hint of spice, but nothing too tempting.

goodcupoftea
goodcupoftea

i love it - very elegant and long lasting...Gorgeous!

DivaPrincess

@beautifulfan... Yaaaay I found my elle and I thank you!!! :)

Guguluff
Guguluff

A daring perfume, for a modern woman. Not sweet, nor sour, not feminine, nor masculine, but somewhere in between. Actually Elle means She, because she is: sweet, sour, bitter, interesting, passionate, feisty, lovely, intriguing, all in one... It's not a mainstream perfume and that's a good thing.

beautifulfan
beautifulfan

For Diva Princess, I find this fragrance to be very popular with Debenhams stores. Every time I'm in, I can't resist giving myself a wee squirt. Hope this helps.

DivaPrincess

Having a hard time locating this perfume. Does anyone know if it is discontinued?

artsyrn
artsyrn

At first whiff this comes off as sweet Vicks Vapor rub...which is strange to admit I rather like. Later I get a still sweet, but subtle patchouli. It's interesting.

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent is a sweet-spicy oriental floral. It is a great perfume for those who want to feel youthful yet mature.

The top notes of peony, litchi and quince make this a sweet, summery fragrance. But then a masculine, earthy patchouli kicks in, wrapping the delicate flowers and fruits in a veil of darkness. The vetiver comes and adds a nice smoky touch, and the woody drydown lasts a long time.

Elle, for some reason, to me smells like some kind of sweet melancholy tobacco sprayed with a fresh woman's scent. The combination is mesmerizing, beautiful and sensual.

The comparison to Dior Midnight Poison has been quite correct, Elle does come off mostly like a heavy tobacco floral, but it never its the rich, extremely masculine incense smelling Midnight Poison.

If you'd like something lighter than Midnight Poison, and if the elixir didn't do the job for you, then you should definitely try Yves Saint Laurent Elle. Very "lady and the tramp".

Puppe
Puppe

I like it! When I am sick of all sweet fragrances and I want something long lasting and not very common, I wear this! I find it similar to Midnight Poison and somehow with some of Prada fragrances. In my opinion this is good stuff and the patchouli in it is great(but not for a "girly" mood)!

zeynep
zeynep

think twice before you wear it because your boyfriend might thing youre cheating on him.:) It's not masculine but a little unisex kind of smell. very long lasting and heavy. At most I like the sour lemony smell. That makes the parfume alive.

miki1968
miki1968

i allways wanted this perfume today i got a 50 ml in a gift set with body lotion and shower gel...it is simply wonderful...very feminine, classy and ellegant...very happy to have it

CamilaLC
CamilaLC

I had this fragrance a couple of years ago and I was amazed at how quickly I finished off a 50ml bottle. It almost never happens to me, as I wear all the fragrances in my collection interchangeably. I guess I had to spray on a lot more perfume than normal because it just didn't stay on. A weak staying power is something that really annoys me in a perfume. The scent was lovely, though.
When I first started wearing it, I had a strong feeling that it was only a second version of Cinéma. The same happened with Lancôme Magnifique, which I swore off as a revisited Trésor. I might have changed my mind now. Does anyone share the same impressions?

Nkhouri
Nkhouri

You had me at first sniff! I can't describe it but after testing many perfumes one day I came across Elle and as soon as I sniffed it, a big smile came across my face! It was so hard to describe, it was sharp, clean, sweet, floral, spicy and then bam!,..Mr. Patchouli came a knocking and he stayed for awhile, a really long while! ...but his stay was welcomed, in a very good way :) I am a lover of a good, well done patchouli scent and not too big on florals- and this one delivered. This to me is an amazingly crafted perfume with excellent longevity!(still smelled it on my sweater the next day!). BIG thumbs up! SO far I can easily see this as becoming my signature scent.. I love you Elle, I'll never forget our first meeting :)

naushwerwan
naushwerwan

very long lasting ..sweet and sour and then sweet again is what you get on a first whiff :D

Decodawn
Decodawn

An almost copy of Midnight Poison by Dior, patchouli, rose, fruity I prefer Midnight Poison.

You have to be a patchouli lover to like this, which I am. This is a patchouli blend that's soft and slightly woody. I'm not getting any citrus at all, not even at first spray. The patchouli is present througout and is the most prominent, but I can also detect some subtle florals. I find this fragrance very calming and classy.

allexa27
allexa27

i began really to like it very much after the million compliments only from men(friends and random on streets).this is the only one perfume that makes men crazy.i cant beleive it!

Asmaa youssef
Asmaa youssef

Nice,elegant,warm or soft spicy,Little bet flora,nice for Night

Bandit
Bandit

There is no shortage on patchouli based female perfumes in this world (e.g. Prada, Midnight, Elle, Allure S.). You can pick one and they all tend to resemble each other. Elle is very fruity and sweet with the obviously much sought for contrast of masculine patchouli. It's not bad for my liking, but the fruit is too sweet and the patchouli too dark.

All patchoulis have to compete against the best patchouli out there: Cristobal. They all fall short against this masterpiece. Cristobal also has fruit and patchouli, but much better than any of those mentionend, Elle included.

(I know, I promote a discontinued, expensive and hard to find perfume. Sorry for this.)

I'm wearing this again these days and I have only a little left in my bottle. This is a scent that I don't usually wear in my spare time or when I want to smell romantic and dreamy, so I was not sure if it was for me, but I noticed that I always go back to Elle when I need an extra-boost of confidence, dynamism and urban determination (to survive, LOL!)
That happens when I need to melt with people for work reason. Used with sense and never oversprayed it works very well to boost some kind of assertiveness when I need it and in that sense it calls respect from others. It much depends on how you perceive your own perfume. You will never find 100% people liking your perfume, especially if they are very different.
I don't mind. I always thought that wearing perfume at workplaces could be annoying to others, then I've been beaten by all kind of scents I don't like. Fake vanillas, Hypnotique and Coco both original and copy cats, brashy aftershaves... One or two in a room are already too much. Maybe we live too close to each other. I always thought that wearing perfume is a way to mark a land :-)
I often went scentless but I felt almost naked and invaded by other scents around.
It would be a nightmare if everyone wore their perfume in big amounts! Offices are closed places and space is not usually very big.
Wearing Elle is a relief for me. Relief from other smells, relief against nakedness, LOL!
It builds a cosy shell around me and makes me feel secure. It's a feminine modern scent with a piney note that makes it more masculin, at least in a traditional perception, so it's more aggressive and it says: "Come closer if you want, but don't invade!"
Only 2 sprays is enough.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This starts out with a bouquet of multicolored peonies sniffed while eating citrus-flavored candy, or jasmine tea sweetened with lemon drops. Once I see that there’s supposed to be litchee in it, I kind of get it, but it’s perfume litchee, not fruity litchee. In any case, I think there’s some crossover between white peony and litchee, so it’s hard to separate the two.

Elle is sweet and clean-smelling at the outset, with none of the notes being overbearing. It’s a fruity-floral, to be sure, but it’s an excellent one. As it dries down, it gradually becomes more syrupy and resinous, but in a good way. Then it takes on a cedar-chest note. Reading other reviews, I thought those who mentioned cedar were mixing up cedar and “cedrat” (citron), but no, there really does appear to be some cedar in the base.

I don’t smell much in the way of patchouli, though. Whatever patchouli is in the mix is sanitized and toned down, probably something synthetic. There’s plenty of sillage, but it’s not obnoxious. A single tiny spritz from the test vial lasts for at least 6 hours.

poppy10
poppy10

@CozyCat: I love it as you analyze. but I cant wear it daily, especially in the office. It's not friendly

CozyCat
CozyCat

I love this, and I'll tell you why:

1) It's unique and a head turner but lets your own personality shine through, it doesn't smell like any other perfume I've tried.
2) It's a great day to night perfume, very versatile. You can go to work with it, you can go clubbing with it, and it's elegant enough to wear to semi-formal occasions. It's also great for all seasons and weather except hot summer days.
3) It's for the female urban warrior, the scent is very metropolitan, very confident and edgy with some sultriness and sex appeal. It makes me think of New York and attractive career women in stilettos.
4)I like that this is a faceless scent for the faceless modern woman...I agree with the reviewer below on that point...but that's a plus for me because I get to wear the scent and put my face and personal attributes to it instead of it wearing me!
5) Not too many women wear it because many find it too sharp/woody I suppose. Another big plus for me.
6) I love the combination of notes, dry woods and tart fruits (mostly citrus and berries)...but you must be into woodsy scents to love this, it is very different from those countless vanilla-based scents available out there, it's dark and sharp in comparison. It's also very long-lasting (7-8 hours) and has good sillage (not over-powering at all, I never get complaints, just compliments).
7) Best for women in their mid 20's upto late 30's in my opinion, when life is fast paced and dynamic. Not a teen/college-girl scent.

UPDATE 4/20/2012: I made a new friend a few months ago, and this became her signature thanks to me. She's a career-minded woman with a wild streak, and it suits her bold and dynamic personality better than it will ever suit me. I also found myself craving for more feminine scents after wearing this for awhile. So I'm glad she loves it, because someone like her is born to wear a fragrance like Elle.

ION
ION

I can't think of a more inappropriate name for this fragrance! Unless of course "Elle" is a woman with no sensitivity, no personality, no virtues, no warmth.
Truly, this one smells like a very dynamic and "faceless" modern woman.
I can somehow see it working in a professional environment but certainly not in a better way than some other perfumes (imagine this as an inferior "Parisienne", and I don't like "Parisienne" at all).
Honestly, I can't believe how mediocre this creation is, given the fact it comes from a big company and from two well established perfumers.
At its drydown it acquires the ever so popular (Chanel type) hint of sensuality (much for originality) I somehow fancy, and that's about it.
Do yourself a favour and ask for a sample of this along with a sample of let's say....(let me think for a moment)....of "Dolce Vita" for example.
Even if you don't like "Dolce Vita" per se, you'll know instantly why you shouldn't buy "Elle".

princess27
princess27

beautiful perfume!
love it so much

SheShe
SheShe

Elle is fine but nowadays I don't like wearing it.
It's a scent for a young sexy woman who cares about her appearance and likes to look great. She lives in a city and likes when people look at her.

Lots of pepper but that's OK with me, what I don't like is the patchouli masculine drydown. All in all a good scent but I'm not in love with it.

jazmam
jazmam

Excellent perfume if you love raspberry and patchouli. While I do pic up a little cedar and the velvitere helps smooth it out... the two outstanding notes are the raspberry and patchouli, which are very nnice, it's not a super sweet raspberry can easily be worn by grown up, very sexy in it's simplicity and earthiness. Lasting power is fair.. silage is light to moderate. I really want the intense version.. but this one is more affordable can be found fairly cheap on ebay. I would definently reccommend :)

clairdelune
clairdelune

I've been wearing Elle since the lovely Mandashell gifted it to me a few months ago and I am just loving this stuff! I'd gotten a tiny spray sample of this from a kind SA a couple years ago and used it over a summer. My impression then was that it was interesting but not for me--too much patchouli and fruit. But when it was empty I held onto the little sample and kept smelling the sprayer. I couldn't quite let it go. I kept checking prices for online vendors but it was always too high. Then one day, here on Fragrantica, I saw that dear Mandashell was ready to swap hers. I told her I wanted to buy it (nothing to swap) and the crazy/sweet girl just mailed it to me - how 'bout that?!
Since then it's taken over as my go-to scent cuz it works anytime, any place. I agree with Blonde Angel and many others here who say that Elle is a classic. It's strange, because when I look at the notes I think, there's no way this can work--no way these notes can blend and create anything nice or even wearable, and yet they do, rather fantastically. I just read YSL's promotional description for Elle and think they hit it spot on; unique, unexpected, with a touch of the Bohemian. That is Elle.

Mebster
Mebster

Oh jasmine screams from the very beginning till the drdown accompanied by something zingy.. Smells like menthol oil n jasmine. Jasmine is a headache inducer for me, sadly i must say:( it's strong n won't washed off with soap. Very good longevity n sillage but migraine inducer for me :(

maianh83
maianh83

I just bought a new fullsize bottle and still haven't opened it, but i can smell the roses clearly from the head of the bottle.

daliflora
daliflora

Nice, slightly intriguing and original, I believe. Perhaps the playfulness in it is what is meant to young women/girls. Not sure I would ever wear/buy it. The patchouli note in it is indeed kind of sweet, as other previous reviewers have remarked.

jennibean

SO bizarre.... three days ago, my friend and I tried this perfume and fell in love with it. I left a review saying it was a better version of Hot Couture... but when I tried today, it was totally different! It smelled more like... Sprite mixed with cough medicine...? I don't know why! I'm so dissappointed! My rating went from "love" to "dislike" over 3 days! I can't explain what the heck happened! Perhaps I should try it again in another 3 days...haha!

Taliera

I gave this fragrance a second chance today. I no longer *hate* it but I still don't think it is the one for me. The combination of citrus and patchouli is yukky! Lemon is very strong, but I can also detect a floral heart and patchouli base.

longcara
longcara

I have Elle a few months now and even though its summer here it never gets too hot.
I adore the pink peppery opening and when this sexy scent opens up the ceder comes in , followed by the peony, which i love.
The lasting power is quite good, and the drydown is so delish you want to smell your wrists all day!! all in all a great perfume, thanks Ysl.

jennibean

Smells just like Hot Couture but better!
Hot couture gets a bit sickly sweet after awhile for me... but Elle is slightly less sweet and 10x more sophisticated & versatile. I adore this perfume <3

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

Very nice. I would never have sprayed this in the store but I wanted to try perfumes that I ignore normally and I really loved it. Very special and suprising.

Jellybean
Jellybean

My mom had this perfume first and I thought it smelled great. She bought it for me I find it a bit strong. At first spray scent is citrusi and sweet, as time passes by it becomes unbearable. I think it doesn't mix well with my chemistry. It smells great on her thou.

Mandana
Mandana

Elle went on sweet, slightly fruity and womanly and I loved it for the first 60-80 minutes,then the lighter notes settled down into something quite revolting: the musky heavy musky pepper/patchouli notes developed on my skin, pushing all other notes out of the picture. The lemon and cedar notes did not get a look in. That was the end. I could not stand Elle any longer, unfortunately. It did not sit well on my skin. The patchouli was so strong and extremely unpleasant, tinged with a smokey aroma, like someone had been burning old damp branches. I ended up giving Elle away. Disappointing as I normally love YSL perfumes but this was a definite no, on me...

orchid_84
orchid_84

I like this. To me it is a lighter, fresher, less sweet version of Givenchy Hot Couture. The sweetness in Elle comes from the litchi, whereas Hot Couture it is the raspberry. Both have some spice from the pink pepper. I pick up on the pretty floral notes more in Elle, and the patchouli/vetiver base is actually quite light. Would definitely work as a daytime fragrance.

puti monster
puti monster

i love this perfume it has a great smell and its perfect for me

piscianna34
piscianna34

One of the few fragrances with patchouli like.Refined and elegant for use at work, but not old fashioned . I like it but the setting on my skin and poor

indianfeet
indianfeet

This fragrance is a very sophistacated perfume, which makes it more for older, mature women (over 40, say) I have it, and I must admit, it took a little getting used to, but I have, and now I love it. Starts strong, but mellows appreciably and softens from sharp to sensual. Has some staying power -- about 6 hours.

alebanfield
alebanfield

just perfect, this is the kind of scent that u wanna smell from a girl's neck... my gosh! my gf will have it (i'll buy it haha) and I cannot wait for her to wear it!

Very recommendable!

Wearing this perfum u will make people turn their heads and take a look to you.... women, pls pay attention to this perfum.

maryco036
maryco036

This is feels like the poor man's version of Parisienne, except this came out before. Where Parisienne works, Elle's violet combination does not work. Some say this is a young scent. I disagree. The overwhelming flower smell make this for older ladies. The young, hip chick cannot rock this.

mah_mahdieh
mah_mahdieh

i have it i love it and its belong to young and fashion girls

LuluCoconut

It's amazing how some scents require some wearing before you make them "your own". Ever since I first wore Elle (EDP) I knew I'll need some time to get used to its cold earthy undertone. Nevertheless after a few days I couldn't help but completely fall for this berried treasure. This is a vibrant, spicy twist in the pink genre, that combines sweet red fruit accords with woods and peony. The pepper and the vetiver add a nice bitterness to the lemon, making it appear as a grapefruit to my nose. The patchouli is not dominant, it just mingles with the vetiver to give a deeper, slightly earthy and powdery backbone to the the otherwise fruity composition. The peony is clearly detectable surrounded by other petals here and there - subdued rose and some jasmine is what I get out of it. Sillage and longevity are more than excellent - Elle should be applied with caution.
The vibe of Elle is along side Lolita Lempicka Si
Lolita and Moschino Couture!. They are both warm to me, while Elle is rather humid and refreshing even with the pepper. They don't smell alike, but have three major points that are similar: spicy citrus, a strong flower and somehow resinous/earthy base.
The more I wear Elle, the more I'm enjoying it.

olga1780
olga1780

I almost forgot how wonderful and vibrant Elle is.
Now that the spring is here, it's time to start using it again. This is my favourite pachouli fragrance!

saratansey4U
saratansey4U

This perfume is a little sister of Envy and a sister of Stella, it's adorable. The floral rosy blend is deep and crisp and has a delicious captivating bite to it. It hasn't much sillage but it lasts well close to the skin and lingers with divinely rose-petal softness.The aura is youthful and cool, but sophisticated and glamorous.It's a wonderful perfume to have as a banker and it freshens and brightens a dull day. You really can't go wrong with it, day or evening.

Vamy69
Vamy69

Sexy, woody, sensual, warm, fruity and pure class all wrapped up in one hot fragrance. I love this!!!!

mandashell
mandashell

Elle is sweet, sparkling, berried and very woody. Still, depsite the strong woods it is a very beautiful and classy fragrance. And even though Patchouli is listed I luckily don't get a lot of it on my skin. It has the best of both worlds and any woman could pull it off. SOmetimes it can come across as strong and assertive and then it gets all girly bubbly and sweet. I really do love it and sense no resemblance to the bedding that my little hamster currently resides in. LOL! XD I agree that Elle is very chic and certainly not typical or similar to the most current or mainstream fragrances of the moment. So, if you are looking for a mildy sweet and feminine fragrance that has Pizazz then give Elle try. It has great lasting power and would work well in every season except for maybe the summer.

Lovable Amy
Lovable Amy

Elle Yves Saint Laurent = Unique ,Classy and Elegant!!

1blondeangel
1blondeangel

Three words: Woody-earthy-sweetness! I was given a generous sample and tried it a couple times not thinking it was anything spectacular but....I found myself thinking about this wonderfully fresh woody fragrance. Elle is probably the "woodiest" fragrance I've ever smelled. It's unique for sure. It's not something everyone else is wearing and in turn will get you noticed. I detect of course the freshly cut & smokey woods & the clean, earthy vetiver. Next I get that unique mixture of jasmine & roses...it's quiet! Not loud in your face flowers. The wood is showcased here and at it's best I might add. The berries give it just a little touch of sweetness. The musty earthy smell of patchouli lingers slightly throughout the whole thing. YSL Elle is not for everyone but it's so freshly unique it's a must for any collection. It's not something I'd grab every day but I'm mysteriously drawn to this great perfume. This is a masterpiece in my opinion. I say get it now because at some point it will become expensive and a classic. I'm on the prowl for a large bottle. You should be too!

mizue
mizue

Love, love love this so much. It has unique smell that make others can't figure out what u're wearing.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

I bought a miniature of this fragrance for my niece. It is sweet, yet elegant. Kinda modern sweet for my nose :)

bombonica
bombonica

Gorgeous, gorgeous fragrance - smelled it yesterday...sprayed a little on my wrist and after 9-10 hours, and after I washed my hands 3 times I could still feel it on my skin - I would love to buy it because it smells so so pretty and lasts for so long. Big thumbs up for Elle

Bebe70
Bebe70

Woody? I am not so sure....
I think this is a very special perfume and it's gonna be timeless.

batnis
batnis

Love it..eventhough a bit 'strong' (at the begining).. for me,it is like a strong version of Stella intw0.. n it does last long

LuluCoconut

YSL Elle is an unusual fragrance. Given that it has the notes of pepper, peony and vetiver, it's a rather humid woody fragrance than a warm flowery musky one. On paper it has this medicinal-herbal note in the opening that deterred me from testing it for a few days. On my skin however it gives a spicy grapefruit backed up by a cold woody base. It posesses a certain sharpness that takes some time untill the notes mingle, but then it becomes more unified woody, citrusy and heady scent. The vetiver and patchouli balance each other well. Even though it is not candy sweet, Elle conveys a mood of belligerant (fierce dare I say) femininity. For me it's the cold counterpart of Moschino Couture.Nevertheless I find a decent amount of berried sweetness in it. It is not a comfort scent but rather one that will keep you on your toes. The longevity is very good, still going strong in the evening with just 3 sprays. Thank you, KasiaS, for the mini, it is certainly a challenging fragrance for me, but I'm loving it more as I wear it.

Sissi
Sissi

Elle reflects the chicness of modern Womanhood confident
yet refined this scent is the new Era of the powerhouse
scents of the 80's a scent just screams HERE I AM JUST LOOK AT ME! commands your attention with just one spray.
Open zesty with Almalfi Lemon with a crisp and bitter
texture in a minute it dries a bit softer with Petals
of peonies with it's semi sweet airy scent floating in the notes, Sweet and succulent Litchi plump ripe with
the purest transformation to dark pink to bright Red
dries sweetly finishes the top Layer with intoxicating
nuances. Delicate and spicy pink pepper opens the second
layer turns the scent with a bit of dryness that adds
to the intensity Jasmine is very easy to detect in This scent and give off an greenish herbal smell.

The drydown or the bottom layer fades and the only
note i can pick up is the diluted silage of Patchouli,
and deep almost elusive patches of musk that finishes
this Scent.

What i also think why this scent is sexy the reason for this is the shape and the color of the flacon
Clean slender lines reminiscent of the perfectly
built and well groomed businesswoman domineering and
Sexual who put men in their place and also the color
the sexiest of all flacon colors conjours bright neon
signs of a nocturnal city, adds to the futuristic
minimalistic style of Today.

RoRoSe
RoRoSe

sharp ,, fresh ,, clear
for a young & full of confident girl ..
like it ..

perfume_junkie
perfume_junkie

This perfume is special, different in many ways, for conoisseurs only, I would say..

guest_kittymoon
guest_kittymoon

Dear Mad-Lainy, no offense, but I can not understand your comparisons ... I recently bought a bottle of rumeur and it smells horrible like nail polish removing toilet cleaner. And miracle smells so plast-icky it makes me cringe.

Elle is so different to both of these scents! For me it starts fresh and fruity - very girly and turns deep, incensy/woody after a while. Almost like two different fragrances and that's the beauty of it.

Passionflower
Passionflower

This scent started out as quite interesting to me, but unfortunately it quickly became annoyingly sharp. All the pleasant fruity and floral things in the first notes dissapear within seconds to make way for nasty sharpness which would be fine in a cheap aftershave, but really really annoyed me to the point when, hours later, I was wondering what that awful obtrusive smell was before realising it was the Elle on my skin. Staying power is good, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about this perfume. Ah well, you can't like them all I suppose.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

The opening is very tart, the Amalfi Lemon will wake you up when you spray it before going to work - it is really refreshing.
After initial 20 minutes, however, Elle becomes identical to Lanvin Rumeur - there is a powerful blast of jasmine and patchouli that lasts a good while.
In a nutshell, you may be better getting yourself much cheaper bottle of Rumeur, rather than go for an extremely expensive Elle, as any differences between these two are hardly noticeable.
Or if you fancy a slightly sweeter version of Elle - go for Miracle by Lancome.

I cannot understand why is YSL Elle classified as a floral woody musk????
I can't detect any wood, nor any musk in it?????
Can any of you???????
I would dare to clasify it as a purely floral fragrance - another brilliant product of Mr Cavallier's nose :-)

natalia777
natalia777

Today has tried this fragrance on a paper and on a wrist. On a paper it was not pleasant. On a wrist magnificent aroma after a while has revealed.

adele l
adele l

Yes i too got the artificial furniture polish/chemical accord with elle- apparently it clashes with some peoples' chemistry! It was so awful i couldn't believe it. too bad because i love alot of what olivier cresp develops. I suggest testing it on your skin first!

YSL ELLE is a fruity floriental fragrance to my nose. The patchouli and berries are so readily apparent that I cannot really conceive of this edp as a floral woody musk.

However, cedar looms *very* large in this composition as well, so large in fact, that this might work during the winter to fend off moths! I am surprised by the number of negative reviews of this likeable fragrance, and suspect that there may be some bad bottles running around. Or perhaps the twang of cedar is what is getting some of my favorite Fragranticans down?

Happily, ELLE works for me, but I should lay my cards on the table and here confess that I really do have a patchouli fetish. The bed of those delightfully chewy leaves serves here to buoy the rest of the notes, including the assertive cedar and the blast of berries, in a wonderful way.

Although this perfume is not revolutionary, it is very wearable--and would be ideal on a cold winter day--with big sillage and excellent longevity. Thank you, cisco, for sending me a beautiful purse spray! (-:

I am a guy and recently come across many women fragrances that I like. One of them is YSL Elle. It's young, soft, fresh, and perfect for everyday. It's not overly feminine either, which I can see myself wear it once in a while. I am so hooked on litchi and citrus blend with the woody scent at the base. Funny thing is that it gives me the same kind of vibe (but Elle is much fresher) as B&BW Twilight Woods; even though they smells different. Anyhow, I just love it. Thinking about getting the solid perfume charm for my girl pal.

adrienn99
adrienn99

nice scent, not very unique though. Would make a good gift as it is pleasant, feminine and there is nothing offensive about it.

cisco
cisco

I really like this fragrance. It does not seem woody to me. It smells very one dimensional. It smells like roses. It is odd I have the Rose Essential by Blvgari and this smells more like roses than Blvgari. I think its staying power is good. It is just a classic rose scent to my nose.

this perfume embodies pure sophistication, luxurious voluptuousness, and seductive glamour... le meilluer perfume que j'ai jamais eu! bon travaille YSL!!!

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Poor Elle comes out like furniture polish on me. I can see it working for other women but I am crossing it off my list.

A couple of hours later and it has turned into literally eye-watering menthol vileness. Maybe I tried the Intense version? Yuck.

kugkng
kugkng

At first,it open up with strong peony and berry fruity very citric and tangy and then gradually turns colder and smokier. patchouli and jasmine note here very dominate and mixed with the left trace of peony from the first part nicely. like other review says it very similar to midnight poison I agree,too but except the initial half an hour sprayed on skin...a younger and brighter version for MP lover and last pretty long on me.

guest_theodicy
guest_theodicy

I'm in my mid-40s and I find that this is my favorite summer scent. It smells like heat and flirtation and sex and languor. I love it, but would never wear it to work or past September.

I wrote a mixed review below.
Things changed in the meanwhile.
I got this Elle a few months ago while expecting Agent Provocateur... Actually I got both from different people!
I was excited for AP and just meh for Elle.
Then I started wearing both alternatively and I discovered that AP is not always suitable for any occasion and not always appreciated. It changes a lot on my skin according to days.
I also discovered that Elle is not the harsh piney harassing creature I thought it was at beginning.
It starts with a tickling fresh peppery note of peony and goes on with different stages, maybe not too sophisticated but in a very modern way and the final effect may seem refined indeed.
It smells feminine but not frilly, more of a cheaky feminity with a hint of glamour. I don't feel completely drown to it (for that I need an old Guerlain like L'Heure Bleue) but I really appreciate that it makes me feel awake, goodsmelling and confortable while around at workplace, in the streets, at daytime friend meeting...
The woody base is nice and quite soft and for some reason it doesn't smell like the same woody base around in Gucci, Dolce&Gabbana and the alikes, that smells fake, sweet, plasticky and heavy
I wish it could be a little more longlasting.
After all among all latest born fragrances is one of the least irritating.

sarafirmino
sarafirmino

i have a sample of this one. and i really like it! i was amazed with myself, because i normally dont like floral woody scents that are made for women.. so this one, gotta be good :D

nonnative
nonnative

Just pink berries, nothing more. Not classy, nor chic. I wouldn't spend much for this parfume. It makes me feel sick.

perfumepsych
perfumepsych

IT IS ONE OF THE MOST COHERENT AND RICH SCENTS I HAVE SMELLED!
IT IS ALMOST PERFECT!
IT IS LONG LASTING, FLOWERY GREEN AND WOODY AT THE SAME TIME.
IT HAS GREAT SILLAGE, IT IS CLASSY AND CONFIDENT.
IT EVOLVES AS TIME PASSES BY, AND ONE CAN SMELL ALL THE DIFFERENT NOTES ENTAILED.
IT IS VERY EARTHY AND RELAXING TO ME AND THIS IS A SENTIMENT I CAN RARELY GET FROM A PERFUME...I HAVE TO TRIED TO LIKE A LOT OF PERFUMES AND EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T PAY MUCH ATTENTION TO "ELLE" ITS QUALITY AND SCENT MADE ME THINK OTHERWISE.

zvoncica
zvoncica

YSL`s Elle is a sassy lady.

It is red berries in boiling pot.
Citric midst above the fruity pile.
Peony’s samba in Rio carnival.
Vetiver floor in heated crazy jungle.

It is Scarlett O Hara in Gone with the wind.
Perky, beautiful, always in the center of attention.

I think Elle can cause serious trembling of the knees. And blurriness of the vision.
Cause YSL lady is a vamp.

As Joy
As Joy

Do you remember what newly opened peony buds smell like after a light shower in the summer? That's Elle for you. At first I mistook it as the scent of rose, but no, the peony is what dominates this perfume. Personally, I like peony very much but I'm thinking it might not be everybody's favourite. A very feminine perfume this is.

selinum28
selinum28

It smells alcoholic, but fine; "missk" describes it perfectly. I also love the bottle, being reminiscent of the most elegant designs among YSL beauty products.

guest_Noussie
guest_Noussie

It's so strange.. 2 years ago this was my favorite scent, i bought this scent even for a second time when my first bottle was finished.

I bought it 2 months ago again, because I was sure that I would love it, it was really a perfect smell to me.

But right now it smells just soo disgusting on me! And I really don't know why! Is it my skin maybe? Is in hormonal? I wonder!

guest_Nash
guest_Nash

i love it. the best fragrance ever. it is deep and sexy very ladish and it s a long lasting one

It seems to me that patchouli has become increasingly popular in fragrances these days, even though there are still many people that dislike its scent.

Elle is very much dominated by the patchouli. There are many similarities between this fragrance and Dior's Midnight Poison, which reviewers before me have already noted.

This is patchouli in a dark, earthy and somewhat spicy sense. Not particularly feminine yet not unpleasant either. Delicate just isn't the right word here, Elle is actually quite strong and in some ways sharp.

In the top notes, the lemon, litchi and peony are rich and bold rather than being sweet and flirtatious as they are in most scents. The patchouli and vetiver tend to discourage the entire composition from becoming too sweet, too fruity or too flowery. The red berries seem to be the only competition with the patchouli in the heart, which tends to create an almost boozy-type smell.

Elle definitely has character in an alluring and powerful sense. This fragrance is not for a meek and mild woman. Elle is a demanding, attention-seeking, modernistic femme fatale.

Elle is in some ways too loud and dark for my tastes, even though I do enjoy patchouli in heavy doses. This fragrance does not suit my own personality, and even though it did agree with my chemistry, I couldn't feel comfortable wearing it.

heidii
heidii

I smell rose, patchouli and some citrusses. The opening is like a softer version of midnight poison (the rose and patchouli is in MP very prominent too).
After a while it becomes more fruity/berry, but it still has a sharp,sour and dirty(patchouli)quality to it.
That part reminds me actually of the berries you can find in victoria secret's very sexy.

In my opinion this fragrance is sexy but still elegant, because its not too loud and not too sweet. Also its very special, it would be a great signature and/or evening perfume.

Agent Provocateur101
Agent Provocateur101

I bought Elle un-sniffed as i loved the look of the bottle and the description of the perfume. Im glad i did. Its deep, its dark and its mysterious! The 1st impression is very strong but with an air of elegance almost oldy-worldy,the initial strong burst soon subsides and you get a long transition from mid-base notes,as the fragrance is mellowing you can really detect the Litchi and red berries in a thick syrupy,sultry way. Once mellowed you are left with a real woodsy, tobacco plant smell which is really fresh and unique. An ideal evening perfume to knock 'em' dead (in a good femme fatale way) ;) Longevity is good as it will last a good 6-7 hours as it is a very concentrated perfume. I need to try 'Elle Intense' next x

Puma
Puma

I love Elle! It's really sophisticated and elegant fragrance.I admire this fruity beginning.

orangeandyellow
orangeandyellow

Combine midnight poison and hot couture (the best of each..) and you get this!

Taliera

I know that other people like it, and I am willing to smell it again, but this is one of those fragrances you don't feel like giving a second chance to. I was so off-put by the smell in the department store, that I knew I wouldn't be coming back to torment my nose again. If *somehow* I could get past the fragrant wall of offensiveness I could learn to like it as most people here do. It is a shame I don't get the citrus complementing the jasmine or the cedar/woodsy notes. Because I desperately want to love this perfume - the bottle and the concept are so attractive.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

I don't know what it is about this one, but I just don't like it, too strong, just a smell I hate in my nose.

LenaBel
LenaBel

I bought this blindly in a discount shop store and only used it once. Later I gave it to a friend who loves it.
When I first spray it on my wrist I can smell strong fruitiness/berryness which is not sickly sweet and I quite like it. However, after 10mins it starts smelling acid (as others have mentioned here too) and bottom notes overpower everything. I would never have bought it if I knew what it smells like as I HATE patchouli but maybe it will appeal to patchouli lovers out here. Elle is strong and its acidity burned my nostrils when I tried it on my neck. It is just not my fragrance as it annoyed me for the whole day when I wore it, and I dont think it is a good YSL creation - Elle is a chaos of notes, they dont blend nicely. Bottle is very chic though!

defne
defne

Definitely a floral woody fragrance, once the scent settles the woody notes appear.I've been wearing it for a week now, it's suitable for the winter months for sure. I must admit it does smell like oh de moschino so every reaction is "I think I know this scent"

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I first tried this (during summer albeit) because I love cedar. At that time, I was disappointed to find that it stayed so sharp and unpleasant on my wrist. This was probably due to the peony and jasmine in combination. Now that it's winter, I have tried it again and found that it's just the kind of supremely woody fragrance I was originally searching for when I first tested it. I get a lot of litchi, cedar, and vetiver, which creates a kind of pink pepper-wood effect on my skin. I LOVE it. This is definitely a cold weather scent for me.

juliamarchwicka
juliamarchwicka

This is very, very strong.

While I'm blessed with a chemistry that makes nearly all fragrances smell good on me, a friend of mine is the opposite - whatever she wears smells ghastly on her.

Not this.

This is the one perfume that she manages to pull off very well, though sometimes she puts on too much, hence the intensity.

It's slightly smokey on my skin, but not unpleasant.

Kristel
Kristel

At first spray i think of pink berries and patchouli. It`s a soft floral fragrance. Very unique and unexpected.

I love the gorgeous fuchsia colored glass bottle.

ELLE is feminine and VERY long lasting !

costaleo
costaleo

It smells so good, and I'm definetly not a women's fragance lover... this one brings sweetness together with a citrusy smell which balances it out in quite a sophisticated way. Were it a bit masculine, I'd wear it

c3c
c3c

I didn't like this at first due to the cedar note which blasted me with the first spray. However I had sprayed it on the card the trial arrived on and later noticed it smells very much like a lemony Cinema. The cedar fades relatively quickly to a soft background note making it slightly warm. If you're a Cinema fan it's worth looking into.

Gosha
Gosha

Sorry, girls, I appologize to all Elle lovers, but I absolutely hate this fragrance! I can't help it, to me it's deeply irritating, headache inducing, aggressive, sharp, arrogant, penetrating stuff. I myself don't understand why I hate this so much, it must be either the pachouli or the vertiver, because I love citruses, berries, peonies... This must be about the most unpleasant scent I have smelled lately.

I don't like this scent on my skin at all. I like the bottle, the colour, the name and the fact that it's YSL, but I really couldn't stand it on me. It reminded me harsh pine tree. I don't usually re-test a scent that I don't like immediately. Maybe I should, because once in a while it happens to change mind, some rare occasions. It happened with Agent Provocateur, even if I don't wear it on a regular basis.
I got a sample of Elle and gave it to a friend. It was better on her, still nothing special and not for that price.

Edi: I want my sample back! This scent is growing on me! It smells intensely floral-fruity with elegance. Someone also mentioned "arrogance". Yes, I can see that. It is an arrogant scent for people who wants to be noticed everywhere and spread their allure on others without caring for other people's need for attention. Still it smells good! Since the regular version is maybe best one for me, I guess I'm just regular "arrogant", LOL!

truffles

Have a little sample of this. It reminds me a bit of Gucci II in its pink fruity way. It's not offensive but to me there's nothing classy or expensive about the smell and it's typical of a lot of modern perfumes. It's a bit too sweetie/fruity for me so I won't be buying it.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Elle is one perfume which has very very similar flankers. Elle Intense didn't work with me, Elle Shocking is so much better than these two- long lasting, has sillage.
This original Elle differs from Shocking in some way- both are berries with woods and patchouli, but Elle Shocking has more drier woody notes while Elle has more boozy kinda character. It soon fades and becomes close to skin.

kylexora
kylexora

This is the second YSL perfume i bought. it's sexy, but it settle down very soft. the fruity smell is obvious but somehow it smells like coke(coca cola)... sweet like coca cola but i love it..

enigmatict
enigmatict

Elle smells like red berries, clean patchouli and fresh bread. I think it would be a nice winter scent. Don't like the opening though, it smells very artificial.

Taxidermy
Taxidermy

Ok, at first I thought that Elle is very similar to Dior's Midnight Poison because of a dominant patchouli note. But Elle is lighter, brighter, sweeter, fruitier than MP. In the middle notes I can detect a hint of tobacco or black tea, that reminds me of YSL Cinema. Also the peppery part resembles Moschino Couture!. Red berries smell so familiar (think of Guerlain Insolence). It's like a coctail of many perfumes (nice composition). And it is fun. Neither banal nor simple, just funny and unpredictable. Not "screaming", but bold enough to notice. Elle has a great personality.

Maugli
Maugli

Decent fruity scent but a bit boring. Reminds of the perfumery floor in a department store... something in the air, even something pleasant but just distilled average of all perfumes. Definety nothing to do with the image of the bold girl in black in the ad.More likely this girl in black may be some office worker who dreams of being that bold but wouldn't dare (cannot afford) to wear anything more adventurous and loud than this conveniently subdued scent.

mellybee
mellybee

The numerous negative reviews were just incomprehensible to me until such time as I tried this scent.

At first spray I thought it would be hardly for me since Elle opened on my skin with a lemon-boosted wave of overly sweet fruits. Luckily it didn't stay there long, soon peony hit my nose and a woody note raised its head.
While the perfume stayed lemony dominated by peony through of its development, the drydown is barely what you'd call light and easy-to-wear. And at that point I understood why Elle induces the instant "love-it-or-hate-it" response. The end is dark and potent, reminiscent of wet musty soil. No wonder, the base is composed by patchouli and vetiver.

Call me a fool, but this part is the reason I felt in love with Elle. And giving this earty masculine undertone to the fragrance as much as having a slightly masculine flavour in YSL's day clothes for woman demonstrates for me that Elle is a proper Yves Saint Laurent-fragrance.

I recommend it for the woman who aren't afraid of being strong and smart.

PERFUMEMANIACA
PERFUMEMANIACA

THIS PERFUME IN OPINION, AND YOU KILL ME WHEN I TELL TO ALL; ON MY SKIN SMELL VERY SIMILAR AND / OR CLOSE TO: GLORIA BY CACHAREL; REMEMBER ON MY SKIN; OK? I LOVE IT!

essija
essija

I get too much cedar in the beginning. It actually smelled like my old guinei pig cage! Yikes! but it dry down much softer. This is a dry perfume, and I do like it. Soft berries and cedar, good mixture! I can't wait to try the Intense version!

the notes,comments,shape of the bottle and describing in the site,they all seemed to be great,but on my skin it's a disaster!
I don't like it at all,all I get here is strong vetiver.so vetiver lovers will like it.I don't get any litchi here(which is my favorite note),it's just some strong woodsy notes mixed with sweet lemon,that doesn't match the fragrance at all.
there isn't any hint of any fruity note here and as the time passes just the musk scent becomes stronger.
ok,it's modern,but not in the positive way and I don't think young girls like a woodsy fragrance like this which is not soft at all,nor energetic.
th positive point might be that you can't be ignored while wearing it,as it's very strong and good for night wear.in addition I haven't smelled something as strange as this in any female fragrance(in male fragrances there are so many similar scents)
this is where you find out you can't trust the notes nor the comments.you should always try the perfume on your skin.

Annie_D
Annie_D

Let me try to explain this perfume to give Elle its fully deserved credit.

I went and sprayed this among other perfumes on tester strips to try and decide what I would try on my skin. I sprayed elle and wasn't completely sure about spraying this on my body. I continued to smell and it developed. By the time I got home, it was a rich sumptuous perfume. 24 hours later Elle had taken over all of the testers.

This is NOT a girly perfume, it is all woman strong and sensual. Sweet with woodsy it is truly a mysterious blend of everything a woman desires, a scent that shows there is something more than what you see (or in this case smell). Use sparingly and everyone will still notice you, it will truly trump other perfumes and will make you stand out! :)

guest_Bella
guest_Bella

I find this scent really intoxicating. I cant stop smelling my skin, I love it so much lol
I think it has a very interesting scent, not the kind of scent I previously would have gone for. But absolutely perfect.

dolita
dolita

the scent is very old like it had been lunched in 1950
for me the smell is very close to avon fragrance surrender but the diffrence between them is the price only no more but the smell is exactly the same

Ina_Mo
Ina_Mo

The most perfect of fragrances! It wins me over every time I put it on my skin. It has a certain sharp but pleasant note, which deepens it and makes it more opulent. An opening is quite citrusy, but it develops into and intensive scent of flowers and red berries. Elle plays with opposites - sharp and mild, bitter and sweet, berries and lemon, gentle peony and rough vetiver, which unites the masculine and the feminine in this perfume! Its base is very warm and the trail stays on your skin very long, even for days...

itastica
itastica

I purchased this based on the fact that I love other Yves Saint Laurent perfumes. I was quite disappointed. Only the woodsy notes seem to appear on me. So I end up smelling like I've been rolling around in cedar chips. I suppose I could return it, but I feel like I MUST have this for my YSL collection. **sigh**

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

A vibrantly feminine, audacious fragrance that blends dazzling woody and floral notes. Peony. Pink berries. Patchouli with notes of Violet, Bergamont, Rose of May, Iris, and Sandalwood.

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

When I tested before in Summer, I thought it would be heavy for me..
However, I gave it another shot for Winter & I was wearing it today.. I gotta say I LOVE IT !!
I find it soooo lovely& modern.. I imagine a young successful business woman wearing it.. Suitable for everyday & for evenings as well <3

Kasku
Kasku

"Elle" starts with litchi and lemons. It seems a bit heavy at first but then it starts showing its gentle side. I smell peonies, berries and some very subtle wood. It's a definetly fragrance for everyday wear...I like wearing it during the falls' cold days

kokica
kokica

by all means-this is simply NOT a modern girl scent...it's by my humble opinion a very grown-up,beautiful,spicy melange that can be compared with almost pepperish Lalique scents...it's just wonderful...strong but very feminine...not for innocent girlies,so to say...

alicektn
alicektn

A friend brought me Elle on a paper strip last year. It smelled patchouli and roses,which I both adore.It seemed very special!

So,after that I went to test the fragrance on my skin. I was very dissapointed. It was very weak and flat.

I also tested recently the more intense version of Elle. The top/middle notes remain without personality, but the drydown (clean patchouli on me) is much more "there" this time.

I plan to give it some more chances. I don't want to reject that one so soon.

azuriiita
azuriiita

I tried this one some times to be secure if this could be a good one, or maybe a disappointed ... and Im not complacent yet :s
For me, its nothing special... Its only another "modern-cosmopolitan- nice- a bit citrus- a bit fresh- a bit something indefinite"
Its a vague fragrance for my taste... yet...

chance25
chance25

I'm biased, this olfactive group is my favorite group. When I catch whisps of it coming off of my clothes I really take notice. My DH says it smells sophisticated and that comment alone makes it FB worthy for me. It has an airy sweet quality to it. It smells like cedar mixed w/ lilies and hints of patchouli. I love it, I think it's very original.

Jasper
Jasper

I almost blind-buy this one because of its' litchi note, let alone the sleek bottle and pretty color. Luckily I got a chance to try it last week. It was like a nightmare, sickly-acidic-sweet nothing of the top notes. Simply horrible! I would never expect this from YSL house.(I probably expected to much from it though.) Too sweet, too fruity and too expensive!

Taliera

This is disgusting! It's acrid and stinky, and I don't smell any flowers for a long time... they eventually do come, but my experience is already marred by those first unpleasant smells. I don't know why anybody would want to buy this. Nice packaging, though.

cdawnn1
cdawnn1

A nice everyday floral, especially for a young woman. I like how this manages to stay soft enough for casual days, but it has a certain sophistication about it. This fragrance is extremely feminine: a fresh floral, a touch of sweetness, and sensuality. I usually prefer orientals, which I find to be more overtly sexy. This is very sensual though, without trying too hard. I like this scent better than YSL's Baby Doll. I absolutely love the bottle as well.

Manuella
Manuella

The scent is sweet yet with a hint of citrus.
Great for everyday wear.But nothing special....

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

Very beautiful bottle, nice smell... I would buy it once, it is very common smell and not something I would go crazy over for years and years.

liat
liat

It's a bit of a "grown ups" scent for my taste, not sure why it was aimed for the younger. It's very "serious" and "mature", not fun, not light, not anything you haven't smelled before.

Scent lover
Scent lover

I havent found anything about this fragrance special.. Maybe I didnt give it a proper chance? But for the moment I would put it together on the shelve with fragrances like RL Romance. It is nice but lacks of character and uniqueness.

coco76
coco76

i hate to be an echo, but i agree with all the positive reviews here! the only thing i can add to this board is that i find elle to be very playful and an interesting variation on notes that are in a lot of other perfumes - yet manages to smell individual and quite sexy. two thumbs up!

guest_AnN
guest_AnN

Just for Vivian... Interesting, warm, glamorous, extraordinary, marvelous, attractive...

dioradddict
dioradddict

i tried it on the paper today and thought it was actualy interesting...next time i´ll try it on my skin

natissimo
natissimo

i sprayed it once and liked it, but still can't decide to buy...
i think, the aroma is quite interesting...:)

flugeltje013
flugeltje013

My mom uses this and it's the only scent that annoys me. My opinion: only for special occasions and spray once, that really is enough... It does last long.

scenthound
scenthound

Didn't mix well with my skin. The lady at the counter was ticked off that Luca Turin gave it, as she said, only one star. Actually, he gave it three stars. I found it much too sweet and tangy. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad Winter scent... but definitely not for muggy weather. Will have to give it another try.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

I love this! It has a perfect blend of citrus notes and sexy, sultry woodsy notes, along with jasmine and berries, which I can smell distinctly. It just might be my new favorite :) My mother loves this too. Most likely I will buy her a full-size bottle for Mother's Day that her and I can share. Elle is a very interesting, flirty fragrance without being girly. It isn't sweet, but just right. Noticeable, but not obnoxious. Modern and chic.

Lorna
Lorna

Just had a sniff................it is a must have and although aimed at the young market, I like it and I am old!!!!

2007

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent 3.80 out of 5 based on 1395 ratings and 211 user reviews

Eau De Toilette 1oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Toilette Spray 30ml 1oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Toilette Spray 30ml 1oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Eau De Toilette 3oz
Elle Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Limited Edition for Women
Elle Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent - 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Limited Edition
Elle Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent - 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Limited Edition
Elle Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Elle Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Elle Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent - 3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Elle Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent - 3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Eau De Parfum 3oz
ELLE YVES SAINT LAURENT for WOMEN by Yves Saint Laurent EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3 OZ
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Toilette Spray 90ml 3oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Toilette Spray 90ml 3oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Parfum Spray 90ml 3oz
Yves Saint Laurent Elle Eau De Parfum Spray 90ml 3oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Elle fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Elle, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Elle by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Elle by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.