Designers » T-Z » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Jazz Prestige Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

Jazz Prestige Yves Saint Laurent for men Videos
Jazz Prestige Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for men. Jazz Prestige was launched in 1993. Top notes are coriander, lavender, green notes, fruity notes, pepper, nutmeg flower, anise and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, cypress, ginger, cinnamon, jasmine, caraway, rose and geranium; base notes are leather, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, benzoin, coconut, oakmoss and cedar.

Coriander Lavender Green Notes Fruity Notes Pepper Nutmeg Flower Anise Bergamot

Carnation Cypress Ginger Cinnamon Jasmine Caraway Rose Geranium

Leather Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Benzoin Coconut Oakmoss Cedar

Jazz Prestige Fragrance Reviews

krmarich
krmarich

My curiosity made me take the plunge and I blind bought this mysterious "lost YSL". My box arrived, somewhat shopworn-I liked that. Its very authentic with only one batch produced to my knowledge. I was reluctant to break the sacred seal. I couldnt wait any longer-it was finally in my hands.

andyray's review is right on the mark. I have been a Jazz fan since 1989. Its related to the original yet takes a different direction. Down to the smokey cellar of some Parisian jazz club. This is hot, dark, swingin Jazz. The notes are all over the place. Sandalwood is bold and big like Samsara! It dominates the composition. I love that note, and since its gone forever this bottle is priceless.

The opening is sharp and dark green. Bergamot, mint and spices grab your attention and hang around longer than expected. Ylang ylang, carnation, rose and "jazzmine" play for hours amid that rich sandalwood base. It starts to act like an oriental and then it quickly morphs to a classic leather fougere. Coconut pairs well with coumarin giving it a silky texture. The sandalwood, amber, tonka, patcholi and oakmoss are loud until the end.

Like Kouros Fraicheur, it is not a flanker, yet an original lost YSL creation. Both are difficult to find and classic YSL. "Its 4:30AM, I am pretty drunk and the music keeps roaring on. The piano keeps playing that familiar melody. Its too cold outside to go home." This is one of those nights to remember, indeed. Ah, that sandalwood!

andyray
andyray

*****

Amongst those collectors for whom the pursuit of now obsolete olfactory treasures remains a constant source of fascination and nay, dare I say, obsession, then the discovery of a boxed, full bottle of YSL’s, ‘Jazz Prestige’, would be similar to a back-street car-boot-fare scenario in which Steve Buscemi’s, ‘Seymour’, discovers a pristine copy of an early, vinyl, John Coltrane album released on the original Prestige record label.

Indeed, just as in Terry Zwigoff’s remarkable, Ghost World (2001), we would see ‘Seymour’ admire the album’s sleeve and 50s artwork: feel the weight of the vinyl as it slides from out of its inner sleeve: watch his thorough inspection of the disc for scratches, faults etc, and ultimately his playing this disc on his old hi-fi equipment to preserve the sound of the day, marvelling at the ‘live’ feel of early Coltrane’s ‘sheets of sound’ captured on an analogue –not digital – recording: Buscemi’s trademark over-crowded teeth breaking in to characteristic easy, yet friendly grin - left foot tapping in time to the beat of Art Taylor’s driving drumming.

Such is the masterpiece of ‘Jazz Prestige’: a bottle of now discontinued hard-bop perfume delight that, like the youthful Coltrane’s tenor solos, goes on-and-on: twisting and turning as the (unknown) nose throws everything in to this creation, yet manages to ‘pull it off’ with an unfolding series of outcomes that constantly engage and inspire the wearer.

So, as if in the film Seymour had also been in to vintage perfumes, I ask you to imagine Buscemi’s unmistakable laconic tone giving enthusiastic, erudite commentary to the quietly quizzical, ‘Enid’, (Thora Birch), having judiciously sprayed ‘Jazz Prestige’ on to each others’ wrists. I shall leave you to imagine the rest….

‘You see…it is at once citrus bright; aromatic green, and kinda deeply floral, with a heavy ylang-ylang head note to me…..but don’t be fooled by the box: this is really a unisex despite the 90s bullshit marketing label. Yeah… here we go…this baby is backed by a depth of pepper and spices: an ‘Oriental’. Here…check this out…yeah! Great! You get the apples, okay…but wait now for the chypre notes…these were really cool in the late-50s/60s with a guy called Chant…but here’s the thing…this is no chypre either…cool…you dig the ‘leather’. Yeah that’s genius…really….but you wait a few hours and tell me how this smells then. The oriental shifts to chypre and then to a true fougere…the tonka bean-plus oakmoss thing…yeah, that’s right, the Paco Rabanne fern vibe. Only this is a 1000 times better! In fact, this is one of the best fougere chords there’s ever been, though most people out there just don’t know it, they just stick to Paco and Drakkar. No go on…take it, friend: it’s for you!’

Grassnote
Grassnote

Pros : smells great,not offensive but strong, not cloying even in hot and humid weather, projection is good, longevity is exellent.
Cons : it's dicontinued.

pob75
pob75

I can't really compare this with Jazz because I haven't smelt Jazz for years.
This is quite strong, masculine, sour/green and a little medicinal to me. Found it very hard to pick out notes - they seemed to all smudge together. For the first few hours it reminded me a lot of the early stages of GBH Giorgio, but YSL JP is less sweet and less strong.

I found the smell compelling rather than necessarily enjoyed it - I partly kept sniffing it to try and decide if I liked it. It develops more woodiness and herbiness and mellows a little from 3 or 4 hours in.

It stays strong for hours and later develops a herbal, earthy, muskiness that verges on animalic.
Projects strongly for 5 or 6 hours. At 10 hours it is still strong on skin and projects a little, and it is quite strong on skin beyond 12 hours.

I personally feel this is a cooler weather scent, partly because of its strength but also it feels warm/green rather than fruity or fresh.
Not bad. Nothing special.

[I don't get any obvious similarity with Quorum or any significant soapiness in this, unlike Bigsly below]

sello
sello

smels very strong and bitter. smilar to ungaro III but strong.

Lots of notes listed but I can't detect many of them. Instead, this is a well-executed blend that has certain qualities. It is "soapy" (mostly lavender, I'd guess, along with synthetic musks used in laundry detergents), fruity (muted, light, a little lemony and minty), powdery (in a laundry detergent way, though not as synthetic or irritating as one finds in many recent fragrances), and tobacco-like. There is a very light spicy quality too, but good luck detecting much else. If you are expecting "Old School" leather, patchouli, geranium, or oak moss, I think you will be very disappointed with JP. Longevity is great and projection/"sillage" at least very good (with one spray to the chest). For comparison purposes, this smells like a "clean" version of Quorum, though without pine. The tobacco in JP is not dry/brown/leafy, but instead has a bit of a damp quality, though not earthy.

UPDATE: I've now had a chance to try Jazz (the new bottle design), and you can detect a "family resemblance." However, Jazz is lighter and there is better note separation. It's "cleaner" and crisper, whereas JP is a bit muddled and dense. Clearly, Jazz is better for warmer weather whereas JP if for cooler weather.

missan
missan

Found a bottle. Will be back with my opinion. Interesting for sure.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

If this smells anything like Jacomo by Jacomo for men, I think I'll be quite disappointed. I recall Jazz being a power house fragrance, you mean to tell me this is more intense?? Is that necessary? I want to take a chance on this, but here's what scares me about this fragance...

1. Patchouli
2. Pepper
3. Nutmeg
4. Oakmoss
5. Leather
6. 1993

YSL is highly respected by me, but I fear that particular combination.

ravjan
ravjan

Couldn't agree more..
A very sophisticated yet wearable fragrance. Still can't get over the fact it's discontinued!

Giorgio
Giorgio

A richer and spicy version of Jazz. The citrus-peppery opening notes are wonderful, with mint, bergamot and nutmeg. The middle with geranium and carnation dries down for a base plenty of sandalwood, leather and tobacco.
The longevity and sillage is good as usual in YSL colognes.
Very masculine, rich and interesting fragance, sadly discontinued, this Jazz version was one of the best YSL .

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent 4.53 out of 5 based on 51 ratings and 10 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Jazz Prestige fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Jazz Prestige, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.