Designers » T-Z » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

I have it: 1026 I had it: 610 I want it: 401 My signature: 58

honey
leather
Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Videos
Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Kouros was launched in 1981. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Bourdon. Top notes are aldehydes, artemisia, coriander, clary sage and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, patchouli, cinnamon, orris root, jasmine, vetiver and geranium; base notes are honey, leather, tonka bean, amber, musk, civet, oakmoss and vanilla.

Aldehydes Artemisia Coriander Clary Sage Bergamot

Carnation Patchouli Cinnamon Orris Root Jasmine Vetiver Geranium

Honey Leather Tonka Bean Amber Musk Civet Oakmoss Vanilla

Kouros Fragrance Reviews

Redbeard
Redbeard

OK...finally reviewing Kouros...god help me. I ended up trying to clean it off me the last time I tried it. Right away I find soapy cloves and honey, as others have commented. There's a sliminess (civet, or faux-civet?), kind of like a very greasy musk. I don't find much piss or sweat yet, but I'm starting to get some anise/licorice, which for me usually means trouble ahead. It's surprisingly sweet in spite of all the pine, leather, turpentine, cowboy sweat, and whatever other horrors lurk within. What I'm noticing, though, is that when I test it on a bit of toilet paper as I'm doing now, it's way sweeter and less rank, but when I wear a splash of it on a T-shirt it's stale and pissy, and not very sweet, and this is when I had to get it off immediately. (I'm afraid to put it directly on my skin because I think it would beat me up.) Later, the sweetness and licorice start to subside, and it gets more sharp and herby like Yatagan, which I like, but it also adds a rubberiness which really bothers me. But the funny thing, the connection which I never made before, is that the mid-note stage immediately made me think of Aramis. It's so obvious now: Aramis has more soapy musk, and this stage of Kouros is surprisingly similar but with a bit of Yatagan and lumberjack extract to sharpen things up. Some time ago, I decided Aramis was too much for me, but that I could deal with Yatagan (or Eucris, along those lines). Kouros, however, combines the aspects that I _don't_ like of these scents, adds the rubber, and is too dated; it lives proudly in 1981, but I don't.

khosro.zk
khosro.zk

The scent is for mature men. A bit powdery. Harsh at first, but it become appealing after 20 minutes. Civet? I didn't get too much. nasty? Not in my nose. Clean? Not except first 20 minutes (probably because of Aldehydes). Bitter, earthy, flowery (soft) and musky (soft).

Bitter = Scent of a wise man
earthy = Scent of profound man
flowery = Scent of romance
musky = scent of getting close ....

Very similar to Aramis, but I like it more.....it's more sensual in my nose

When I get older, I would buy it :)

Too sharp, rather.

Bunino

I would argue that this scent is the most polarizing of all fragrances among collectors and posters on this site. I can see why some would like this, as I am a fan of animalic scents myself, but the scent is simply to sharp for me. Whereas in Antaeus or Yatagan castoreum provides warmth, especially so in Antaeus, the civet in Kouros comes across as bright and uric (it smells like cat piss.)

It's well done however it's on the wrong side of the animalic spectrum for myself.

Also... DO NOT blind buy ANY animalic scent..ever.

michaelb

This has grown on me like no other fragrance. When I first tried it I hated it, came back to it later and found it to be excellent, most likely due to having smelled other complex and challenging fragrances. I could finally appreciate it for what it was, an ultra masculine scent. Newcomers to this fragrance: Do yourselves a favor, give it a chance, and you will be rewarded.

xopreciseox
xopreciseox

When I first smelled it, I thought it was horrible. But after tested other fragrances over a year I have really fell In love with it second time around. So this is to the people who say it smells like piss. Your noses are not developed. These are the signs that a reviewers nose are not developed. They will say.

Dhi= makeup
Antaeus = church greeter
Kouros = public restroom
Tuscan leather = smells good
Joop = subway black man
Polo green = grandpa, well actually that might be true.

So if you see anyone posting general negative statements about frags, disregard there review. There noses are not developed. Let them keep there aqua Di gio and lacoste.

jude1321

I have as good a vintage collection of this Legend as anybody...absolutely stunning stuff. The complexity, depth, power, and sex appeal of vintage Kouros has no comparison in the history of male fragrances. I've owned over 200 bottles in my life of various fragrances, and nothing, absolutely nothing, even comes close to Kouros. Kouros vintage (Eau De Toilette underneath the Kouros sign on the front of the bottom) literally makes me laugh...I simply cannot believe something smells this incredible. Kouros: the best there was, the best there is, the best there will ever be.

marioslg3
marioslg3

Im not sure if someone will say that im not normal but for sure straight i am :-)
The three perfumes i love and will always have are Kouros, Dzing! and Muscs Koublai Khan....all of them are given either the smell of dirty, urine or animal butt....but i love them...those are sex in a bottle and especially Kouros which is the oldest, is the best perfume ever created for men, but not for all men...a pure masterpiece, a unique male perfume, a giant in the world of perfumes...poor guys who dislike you Kouros....and thank god that u are not for everyone.
I smelled that for a first time around 1983 when my late brother was using it and still smells great...i remember the white bottle in his room standing near his photos....31 years ago....

Hedphuq
Hedphuq

When I first tried it, I thought everyone were talking about different fragrance, because it's a really pleasing smell. I would say it smell bit like an urinal cake, but in a good way! It's fresh, soapy, yet dirty at the same time and very strong. More than 3 sprays of it should be prohibited. I don't get the piss smell out of it at all. Maybe before the reformulations it smelled more pissy, because from what I've heard they harshly reduced amount of civet. Anyway, everything blends well, and you don't get like one main note. Remind's me of like an old barbershop with shaving stuff - brushes, lotions. But it's dated and many people used to contemporary "manly" fragrances like Acqua di Gio or Le Male probably would find this difficult to wear, but hey... some people like being eccentric. I do, for sure.

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

There's a reason why so many people say that Kouros smells like a urinal cake: it does.

Tausti
Tausti

I wanted to like this one but I just don't get it. This and YSL Pour Homme have this urine soaked urinal cake base to it that forced me to scrub it off. Kouros is a honey urinal cake and PH is a herbal urinal cake to me. I tried both a second time many months later and the same result. Both are beasts but that is not a good thing. Not easy to scrub off either. My wife hated both.

EddyC
EddyC

The opening is very harsh, but after 20 minutes it becomes very good. Longevity and sillage BEAST

georgequeue

I bought my second bottle a few hours ago (just two months after buying the first one), which will remain unopened for some years, because it's still good enough to grab an extra bottle before it undergoes a new reformulation or in case of a zombie apocalypse.

Today, I tried other fragrances such as D&G The One, CK Euphoria, Paco Rabanne Invictus, and more, but none of them can dethrone the Almighty King of masculine perfumery!

rhynel
rhynel

This one is not for the faint of heart. Chemistry is super important, and when it works, it really works. I personally like the fragrance out of the bottle -- it's mannish and has this very clean note in it (probably the aldehydes) -- but I would hate to see any reactions to those who don't have the right chutzpah this pull this one off.

attilathehun
attilathehun

Hail the all mighty KING KOUROS, the fragrance that Attila the Hun would use.... Love all the notes, very animalic yet clean fragrance, strong,very masculine and nowadays very original.. i agree with the positive comments on this one, Kouros is a LIVE SNAKE around your neck.....
Ive used this one since the 80s,the vintage one is the best, the reformulation is not bad although i feel they have made the formula weak.....

pedrozanforlin
pedrozanforlin

This is an iconic product! The beginning is very, very strong, but pleasant. Initially feel something barbershop, after several flavors emerge, ente them feel slightly Taboco. After a time, going there for animalic notes, more precisely urine, to my feeling.
Towards the end, all that power will be calming down, making the pleasant aroma uch back to the barber shop, soap and honey. Actually male. Good perfume!

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

I love Kouros, this fragrance is for REAL MEN, not like those crappy queer acuatic "fresh" boring common smelling plastic fragrances so popular nowadays..... Love the smell, love the combination of honey and civet, strong, potent, classy, elegant, great for a night party in the Mediterranean after tanning all day long in the beach, a good shower, linen shirt, and KOUROS..... the smell of ancient gods, warriors and athletes from Greece and Rome... This one and Santos de Cartier are my top favorites.... This doesnt smell like urinal cakes or feces, thats just nonsense..

cytherian
cytherian

I wish Fragrantica would split up Kouros into two major categories: Recent and Vintage. Because the two are quite different. And now, as of this writing the rating for Kouros has been pummeled down to a mere 3.28. I have to wonder if it's due to the new version, or people who are intolerable of Kouros no matter what release.

This is one of those major old-school fragrances that needs time to work on you. If you judge it too quickly, you'll run away and never come back. And that would be your loss.

Well the opportunity arose and I obtained a newer version. Not the absolute latest--the one prior with the metal top and bottom panels still in place (newer one dispenses with the bottom one, then the top). The new one initially smells a lot like the original, but into the dry down it feels like something is missing. Not just the civet, but something else. There's a sweetness in the original that seems to be gone now. On its own, it is still a fine fragrance, but my heart belongs to the releases prior to the Gucci era. They are more expensive on the average (occasionally you can grab a deal if you spot a cheap buy-it-now or get lucky with few bidders), but worth it.

oikoymenh
oikoymenh

The majority of thumbdowns comes from experiencing the first thirty minutes, when the top notes tend to be quite dominant even to pungent annoyance. But patience brings roses and after an hour or two, you get one of the best fragrance moments ever created. Hint: needs to be applied to a hairy chest.

Casavulva
Casavulva

My first aftershave, and signature 1985 - 1987.
Glad to see it is now considered an all time classic.

I recently repurchased a whole bunch of these 70-80s fougeres to bring back memories and possibly wear some of them from time to time.

Kouros I unfortunately find unwearable today, unlike Paco Rabanne, Azzaro and a good few others. But I do get a big smile on my face every time I test it indoors (on fabric - it sticks to your skin for days).

Reviewer Karlovonamesti once wrote that he uses 12 sprays of this, not per year but per wear. That makes me smile even more, I guess I would notice him from 3 km and know immediately what todays fragrance was (and that it was him).

Totally unique, love-or-hate, iconic or moronic? You decide :-)

7/10 (used to be 9/10)

Jaykins65
Jaykins65

The ultimate mans fragrance.In my opinion ,one of the best male scents to date.I first fell in love with Kouros back in the 80s and my love affair with this amazing fragrance is just as strong.

georgequeue

It's been 8 hours since I've applied King Kouros on my skin...I can still feel it, and the drydown is just sensational! This has been one of my best purchases ever.

The more I use it, the more I love it (It's really grown on me!). I'm glad I bought myself a full bottle.

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

In 'Wayne's World' Garth asks Wayne if he'd like to go into Mikita's with the rest of the gang. Wayne declines saying that he'll just go home and 'lick the cat's butt'. When I first smelled Kouros I thought that this was what Wayne would have smelled if he chose to lick the cat's butt. Now some time later I find this fragrance is a grower, not for the shy milquetoast type who goes for something bland and generic, this is for a real man. Musky to the max, animal, base, raw, use whatever libido rousing adjective you like, the bottom line is this is powerful, primal and perfect. It gives so much more than you'd expect if you allow it time. This is the one true Sex Panther.

Kouros

Hello, how can I get the original version (1981) of Kouros Eau de Toilette?
Thanks.

DIARKQIKU
DIARKQIKU

Different from other fragrances, Kouros is alive!

More than perfume.

It's like a live snake in your neck!

deda147
deda147

Love at first sniff. Sweet, powdery, slightly dusty and quite 'heavy'. Smells like warmed, sweatty, sweet skin infused with cologne. The locker room references are on point. It is quite erotic, raw but also sensual. I love it, but I'm not sure if I could finish a whole bottle; it is quite potent. I also wouldn't know when I would actually wear it. Would smell fantastic on men, but I guess also sensual and intruiging on a woman.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

One of a kind and very unique, I'll give Kouros that, but there is something in this that smells like a plastic shower curtain just taken out of its wrapper.
I just can't get past that initial plastic-y opening smell.

jude1321

Make sure u get the vintage.. Not the crap loreal is selling today

jude1321

There are no words to describe this.. Kouros is simply the greatest male fragrance ever made.

missan

The original Kouros is THE masterpiece, and when I say masterpiece I mean THE masterpiece.

maio2012

The L´Oréal version (2008-today) is so different from the first Kouros (until 1993) that I propose to have two different espaces for review this fragrances. People that evaluate de first, animalic, strongly masculine version certainly have a much better opinion about this formerly masterpiece than people evaluating the toned-down, simpler and globalized reformulation, created to adapt to new perceptions about today´s people difficulties with clearly masculine or feminine perfumes.

Thomaso7

Kouros is a wonderful scent. Nice soft, fresh, clean, dirty, rich, sweet clove powder honey wet chalky-ness white incense sticks. Almost has a touch of mintyness or menthol giving a slight cooling effect - probably the cloves Billowy like a cumulus cloud. Smells very nice all the way through, beginning to end. Projects very well, so it is easy to smell, and you can smell it for a while, which I like.

steve0580
steve0580

I received a sample of vintage Kouros from a fellow Fragrantica friend.

This stuff is just horrid. It smells like a eucalyptus and cat pee mixture. I tried scrubbing it off but it's still faintly there.

On the plus side, none of you will ever have to worry about me trying to outbid you in a Kouros auction.

Daro
Daro

Got the sample of it recently and I think I'd figured out its secret. The scent is godlike but... I'm 35 years old and I feel like I'm still too young to wear it. It expresses an experience that comes with a certain age, but definitely not in a way that it's an old mans cologne. It's an ultimate masculine and absolutely heterosexual fagrance which primarily attracts true ladies :)

~ Are you using Kouros ?

~ No, no, Kouros is using me.

BobbyJ95
BobbyJ95

I remember sniffing this one ages ago when I was first getting into fragrances. It was my grandad that showed me it. From what I remember it was absolutely revolting on the opening. That was at least 5 years ago when I was just 14, so perhaps my opinion of it may have changed. Next time I'm in a place when I can test it I will. Can't honestly see myself liking it from all of the reviews it's had.

Jefdaj
Jefdaj

Man .... I love King Kouros :-) with the right body chemistry it will work magic. The drydown is out of this world and you ll get noticed for sure. The new formulation is ok, but try to find the bottle with the silver rings.

migueldematos
migueldematos

@beibinis, that is a perfect review for Kouros. I agree totally. And I tried it in the summer, you're right!

beibinis
beibinis

It is not going to be a full review. Just my impression

First of all I have to confess - I was one of many Kouros haters. But now my opinion has changed. Here are 2 reasons.

For me Kouros smells much better outdoors than indoors. It blends perfectly with fresh air and is strong enough not to dissapear. But indoors it is too much for me. Too pungent.
Another thing is dosage 1-2 sprays is enough.Otherwise it becomes unbearable. It needs to blend with your body scent and air - not overpower them.

I live in Cyprus now where is hot during the summer but also fresh sea breezes going around and Kouros is my go to beach scent. Like I said it mixes with fresh air well and is strong enough to stay on your skin lightly after few swims.

Impression I get from Kouros is not public toilets anymore. Imagine yourself going to the seaside through dusty rocky path on the cliffs along the Mediterranean sea. Sun is hot, wilderness around. your tanned body is sweating but breeze from the sea is coming and giving some freshness. Finally you reach the beach all dusty and sweaty and take a dive to the blue water. Dirty and clean.

If you haven't seen kouros commercial check it out. It is represented as a fresh scent. Sun, sea, Greece, athletic tanned body.

Try it in the summer, especially in some mediterranean country.

Sun, sea and pure masculinity. This is what Kouros is for me.

grapho
grapho

disgutsting. who told me to sample this and spray it on my arm. colognes are known for giving me headaches. this made me want to throw up. when i checked notes, i see what i was smelling, a wild asian cat. this the worst colgne i have ever smelled. i do not recommend

LaVieEnParfum
LaVieEnParfum

i loved the bottle, but felt so uncomfortable using the fragrance - like unwashed and kind of a pee smell.
people around complained about every single time.
was very embarrassing.
did not match with my skin, and
definitely to strong.
had a similar experience whit opium pour homme (ysl)

Blutengel
Blutengel

I had the 2007 version (sold because I didn't like it much, too nauseating) and now I scored the original scent (eau de toilette written directly under Kouros) and oh my, whát a difference. Where in the 2007 version I coulnd't stand the smell after 1 day (only used 1 spray, more than enough), the original is much richer, warmer, deeper, ...
The honey note is much more pronounced and it's not just that sharp, pissy note. It's still there, but blended in much better.
My wife still thinks it smells like used public urinoir ;-)

Amparo Noir
Amparo Noir

I could smell the clove in kouros, and it's quite strong. This is uber masculine, strong, sturdy, muscular and everything in between.

Thomaso7

sweet soft powder. has a strong character overall. very fresh, very sweet chalky/powdery, incense like, maybe it is the cloves which gives it the unique smell? and it must be the honey giving it that special sweetness. smells very interesting. amazing. projects a ton.

Gokhanburak53
Gokhanburak53

If you are fat or chubby, kouros cant save you, if you are weak in personality, kouros is like urine to you but what if you are like a lion that chasing his prey? your soul overflow with desire and passion, your eyes as sharp as an eagle eye, there is no hesitation at your glance, you know what you want, you know you are strong, only thing you need to complete your wholeness is Kouros!

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

The oldest scent on my shelf is a 100ml vintage bottle of Kouros. My best guess is that I've had it since 1994. The formerly pristine white Grecian flacon is now covered in rusty marks from when it used to reside inside an old metal filing cabinet. There's a nasty looking brownish stain around the atomiser nozzle where the spray has congealed over the years.

But despite the damage on the outside, the juice inside is still the same formidable original formula. And nothing, absolutely nothing on earth smells anything like it. It's so distinctive, so recognizable. For me it's a total time-warp back to the nineties.

I reckon there's about 5ml's or so left at the bottom of the bottle. I wear it once in a blue moon when I get a nostalgic twinge.

So it sits in the back on my fragrance shelf like some faded ancient relic, one that my other scents acknowledge as a once mighty icon from another era.

1welshdevil

I am doing a follow up review, I slated this last time. A list of the synthetic chemicals on the box should be enough to indicate that L'Oreal (apologies ysl) have messed around with this massively. I put it on a few hours ago, and now it is still sharp, heavy and really giving me a headache. Patchouli is my favourite element in a fragrance, but here it is synthetically overpowering. I have tried scrubbing it off and can't. Huge tick for sillage and longevity, they cannot be questioned, but to me it seems like they have re-formulated the reformula, I remember it being a little less sharp then it now is. Maybe I sprayed too much or maybe it's more suitable on a cold December day. I like owning it, as some days i wake up and want a spray of this, or Antaeus, Drakkar noir. Maybe I need to learn how to wear this properly. I tried masking it with Cacharel Homme, that's gone and I can still smell Kouros!!!

missan

Without actually knowing, but smelling similarities, I would say the inspiration to this cologne come from traditional arabian perfumes. The musky yet light flowery and earthy tone can´t be an coincident, me thinks.

AndreiCristian
AndreiCristian

Horrible fragrance ... smell like a public WC .... just horrible.

lemonfreshman
lemonfreshman

The drydown blends with your natural scent in a fantastic way. Men only. Boys can go cry to your momma while wearing your Bleu de Chanel

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

I was given a sample of Kouros on 7th grade and it was love at first sight. For my unsophisticated nose this was what heaven smelled like, so fresh, to spicy, so different, so mature... only to be heartbroken when I discovered I had left the bottle opened and it freaking evaporated!!!
I got myself a bottle and used it regularly during my high school years reeking of Kouros at 7 am on my way to school. Sure, I overdid it and I stayed away for years from Kouros.
Recently I returned to it and I must say Kouros had the most amazing drydown of any cologne of its time... Honey, leather, patchouli, carnation and the famous piss smell all coexist harmoniously in what is unquestionably a masterful blend. Kouros is a cologne that it is in your face, love me or hate me but you can not and will not be indifferent to me. If you hate it that's ok. It is the experience what counts.
Kouros may be a memory in this point in time, but it sure brings it back with a furious vengeance.

lovetribe

long lasting...4 spray.......48 hours,the king!!

king_basim
king_basim

من اساطير الفوحان

رائحة مميزة وغريبه

لا يسبب الصداع !!

ماذا أقول اكثر من ذلك ؟؟

SMELLY1992
SMELLY1992

This is probably the most manly frag I've ever smelt. I know it's a polarizing one, but this is just amazing guys! Manly, pure, natural, hairy, muscular... alluring
not to mention sillage and longevity. It lasts more than 24 hours on skin and fills a room for sure!
i'd give it 9,5 out of 10!

kaysee
kaysee

Initial reaction: I don't know if I like it or not.

After 10 minutes: This is how the devil smells.

After 30 minutes: Soap! Old school shaving cream!!

Now after 1.5 hour: Smells like new car???

I get why people love it. Not for me though

Kain
Kain

I want to be completely honest!
I knew about this fragrance for a long long time and I wouldn't dare to test it out because I've heard most of the times bad and almost terrible things about this fragrance!
I knew this is a legendary fragrance and If it's going to be as bad as many people around me keep talking about, I'm not comfortable bashing it among the lovers and get killed a few days after! lol
Finally a few days ago I said OK, I don't care about other people opinions! I want my personal experience with this fragrance.
I got a sample from a friend and put it on my skin and smelled it.
Dear lord, I hate those guys for keeping me in the shadows for all these years!
This is an amazing fragrance and I'm surprised that many people don't like this.
There is a lot going on in the opening.
It's semi fresh, green, herbal, soapy, spicy, floral, warm and sweet all at the same time.
If you're into safe fragrances stay away!
At the beginning I can smell aldehydes and some citruses that both together creating a fresh, green, clean and almost soapy scent.
There are cinnamon and carnation flower beside those fresh notes and they add bitter spicy and slightly powdery floral feeling to the fresh feeling of the beginning.
Also there is a warm and sweet honey/ambery scent to balance all the notes and give the scent more depth an sensual feeling.
There are other notes at the opening for sure but these are major notes to my nose.
As time goes by the scent settles down and looses that sharp spicy and fresh feeling and now I can smell more interesting things.
Now I can smell a little more carnation flower with it's elegant powdery floral feeling and some leather and strong dirty animalic note.
The mid of the fragrance is a dirty, animalic, a little powdery and floral, warm and sweet scent with noticeable amount of spices and a little bit of aldehydes.
In the base the scent is very close to the mid, but now the scent has an earthy feeling too which is because of vetiver and patchouli.
Projection is very good and longevity is around 8-10 hours on my skin.

راستشو بخواین من اینقدر در مورد این عطر بد و فحش شنیده بودم که جرات نداشتم تستش کنم
بارها پیش اومده بود بتونم تستش کنم اما میترسیدم ازش بدم بیاد و بیام در موردش بد بگم و طرفدارای زیادشو شاکی کنم بیان سرمو کنن زیر آب
خلاصه بعد از سالها کلنجار رفتن زدم به سیم آخر گفتم بزار برم تستش کنم. من باید خودم این عطرُ تجربه کنم و به نظر دیگران اکتفا نمیکنم. بزار هر چی میشه بشه
یه سمپل ازش گرفتمُ و زدم رو دستم و با ترس و لرز بو کردمش
بعد از یه نفس عمیق اولین چیزی که به ذهنم رسید اینه که برم اونایی که همش ازش بد میگفتن و این ترس رو انداختن به جونم بزنم نصف کنم از وسط
انصافا نه تنها این عطر بدی نیست. بلکه عطر بسیار جالب و جذابیه
منکر بوی خاص و متفاوتش نمیشم اما در مجموع با سلیقه من مچ هست و دوست دارم این سبک عطرها رو
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر یه بوی قوی و شلوغی هست که مطمئنا خیلی هارو فراری میده
تو رایحه ابتدایی من بوی مرکبات و الدئید هارو حس میکنم که بوی شاداب و تمیز و کمی گیاهی و تقریبا صابونی به عطر میدن
در کنارشون بوی قوی ادویه ای خصوصا بوی دارچین به همراه رایحه ملایم و بسیار جذاب گل شمعدانی با اون حس پودری خاص اش هم وجود داره که حسی تلخ و تند و در عین حال طبیعی و گلی به عطر میدن
رایحه شیرین کهربا و عسل هم بوضوح حس میشن و حسی گرم و شیرین و جذاب به عطر میدن و اون تلخی ها و تندی هارو خیلی خوب بالانس میکنن
بوش هم نیمه شاداب و گیاهی و کمی صابونی هستش، هم تلخ و ادویه ای و گلی و هم گرم و شیرین
با گذر زمان اون تلخی و حس ادویه ای و اون حس نیمه شاداب و صابونی تا حد زیادی محو میشن و حالا رایحه چرم و رایحه حیوانی به عطر اضافه میشن و قدرت میگیرن
رایحه میانی این عطر به بوی کثیف و حیوانی و کمی تلخ و چرمی هست که در کنارش رایحه گل شمعدانی با اون حس پودری ملایمش بصورت واضح وجود داره و کمی هم رایحه های ادویه ای و الدئیدی به مشام میرسه
اون حس گرم و شیرین همچنان وجود داره و تم گرم و سنشوال و خیلی جذابی به عطر میده
رایحه پایه شباهت زیادی به رایحه میانی داره منتها حالا رایحه نعنای هندی و وتیور هم اضافه میشن و یه حس خاکی مشخص به عطر اضافه میکنن
پخش بوی عطر زیاده و ماندگاری بالایی بین 8-10 ساعت روی پوست داره
کار مردانه خیلی متفاوت و جالبی هست که بهتره تستش کنین و بدون تست نخرین

Brock
Brock

A controversial and warm scent, this isn't for the average douchebag who veers toward Chanel Blue or any shit fragrance with the word "sport" in the tile. No, this is for real men... men who know their shit. Spray just a little and give it time. Give it an hour or so. The dry down on this is like none other—the best, in fact.

Brace yourself.

Alex1984
Alex1984

So finally have Kouros. Yes, reformulated version with no silver rim. But you know what? I can still smell Kouros underneath. L'Oreal is the worst you can get when it comes to fragrance but this and Rive Gauche don't bring back specific memories, nor have I tested the vintage versions extensively so I'm happy. Kouros for me and on my skin is like a lighter version of Bandit. Lighter being the key word. Kouros is more aromatic and powdery, whereas Bandit is dry and leathery. I love Bandit and like Kouros for different reasons.
Kouros is a no no in the cold, it dies too soon. But in the heat it blooms, and when you think it's gone you catch a whiff of it on skin and more on clothes. It starts off like dusty leather. Like it's been sprinkled with herbs, some rose and some urine like honey. You know, the kind I adore. Toilet? Civet? Piss? Bring it on baby. Sillage is not as monstrous as it is said to have been but it's pretty decent, and longevity on my skin is around 8-10 hours. No complains here. And when it finally settles down I get leather, quite a bit civet and steamy florals. I know that anyone who loves the vintage is probably gonna hate the reform. I totally respect that, I have the same issue with my vintage loves. But anyone interested or not familiar with older incarnations should give it a try. Especially if you like leathery and animalic scents. Give it a try with no preconceived ideas. It might work for you like it did with me. And btw, girls give it a try as well. It's dry, dirty, steamy, powdery but not so macho as it sounds. Just a good 80s masculine with a huge sex appeal! Glad to have a bottle.

rod7elfo
rod7elfo

A perfect poison to blend with a dark convertible mustang or a fatboy harley, and your woman!
This is a masterpiece.

marioman
marioman

Man.I was receive today an old bottle of this juice. I take only two little drops on my neck and i will go outside thru the rainy day. What this frag did to me! Its like i walked with BIG smile on my face and i feel disoriented why other people startin to watch clearly where from that weird scent came from?
I have smelled some things in my life. But this one is something that im sure know from my childhood,im 30+.
Only two drops and still workin on my skin. Amazing.
But did I love it? Take time.Yeah!

Merdogan1
Merdogan1

İyi ki küçük bir şişesine sahibim dediğim ve bugüne kadar hakkında fikir belirtirken en çok aklımı karıştıran parfüm kouros oldu. Kalıcılık anormal derecede fazla. yünlü bir kazağımın koluna sıktım ve 3 gün sonra halen kendini hissettirmeye devam etti. Farkedilirlik konusunda da son derece saldırgan bir yapısı var. Kokusunu algılamamak imkansız. Ancak koku güzelliği kesinlikle tartışmaya çok açık. Benim açımdan erkek yurdundaki ayak kokusu, koyun ağılı ve bazı baharatların karışımından ibaret itici bir kokudan öteye gidemez. Ya da belki şöyle anlatabilirim. Çalışmaktan ter içinde kalmış, ayakları kokan ama üzerine kuvvetli bir hacı misi sürmüş bir amele aklıma geldi. "E peki kime yakışır bu koku?" derseniz bence bir top model kalitesinde yakışıklı, kaslı ve seksi görünüme sahip bir erkekseniz yakışabilir. Ama az kullanmak lazım. Hatta o kadar yakışıklı ve seksi bir erkekseniz bence şehvet uyandırıcı bir etki dahi yaratabilir. Yani zaten olan bir altyapınız varsa hanımların iyice tahrik olmasını sağlayabilir. Ancak sıradan bir Türk genci iseniz aman uzak durun, insanları kendinizden tiksindirmeyin derim.

Gelelim konunun benim algım dışındaki boyutuna. Annem, komşu teyze ve orta yaş üstü bir hanıma daha koluma sıktığım parfümü koklattığımda aldığım tepki beni çok şaşırttı. Hepsinin ilk izlenimi "güzel ama ağır" şeklinde oldu. Hatta hepsi birden içinde tarçın, karanfil, birkaç anlayamadıkları ot ve baharat ile üzerine ağır hacı misi sürülmüş koyun postu deri seccade kokusu gibi bir şey kokuyor dedi. Ben ise hiç de bu saydıkları şeyleri algılayamadan direk kötü bir koku diye algılamıştım.

Özetle diyeceğim şudur. Sakın ama sakın denemeden almayın. Belki benim gibi sırf meraktan alacaksanız da kesinlikle alabildiğiniz en ufak şişeyi alın. Zaten tek fıs tüm odaya yetiyor.

Ek 1 : Kokunun üzerimdeki etkisi halen itici. Ancak geçen günler içinde nedense en kötü tepkiyi vereceğini düşündüğüm bayanlar bile umduğum tepkiyi vermedi. Hatta istisnasız hepsi beğendi. Daha doğrusu "koku çok güzel ama çok ağır, tercihen kullanma" dediler. Bence iğrenç bile sayılabilecek bir kokunun kadınların ağır bulmasına rağmen beğenmesi beni şaşırttı.

Ek 2 : Arkadaşlar yukarıdaki onca kötü yorumuma rağmen ben bile sevmeye başladım galiba kokuyu. Dışarıda asla kullanmaya cesaret edemem ama galiba o kadar da kötü değil. Sevmeye başladım :)

Not : Yorumlarımı ve özel mesajlarıma cevaplarımı sadece Türkçe olarak yapacağım. Böylece yabancı dil konusunda sıkıntı yaşayan arkadaşlara gerçekten denediğim parfümlerdeki kendi görüşlerimi paylaşmayı amaçlıyorum.

babayaga
babayaga

Not sexy? Guys, if your'e curious, get a sample, put a bit on your neck... not too much. then let your sweetheart loose on it, and see what they have to say. If I had first smelled this from a bottle I'm sure I would have gagged, but fortunately, I met it through a boyfriend back in the day. I don't recall smelling it on him ever unless we were very close, and then, man was it was SEXXXXXY, I promise you!

Melany99
Melany99

This fragrance is definately very masculine, very seductive and very sexual.
I love it on men!
For those, who don't like it - they just aren't grow enough!

freeshead
freeshead

I bought it after reading so much about it. To be honest for me it smells like Indian incense( Agarbathis). Extremely aromatic. Basenote for me is woody & musky. Cant say it is called sexy. Not extreme long lasting. Last around 6 to 8 hours.

Carestinus
Carestinus

This used to be the example I gave of an unbearable stinker. I was horrified by this for years. I wonder now whether this has been reformulated or my nose has done a 180 degree turn since I like it a lot now!
This is very soapy but not in a clean, or fruity or powdery way. This is a rather weird soap lol, closer to the white ones people use for cleaning clothes or bleach for your toilets. It also smells animalic which I now appreciate and think of as sexy.
Still, I can't really think of the moment I'd wear this... it is definitely too (cave) manly for me but oh well... a desire creator for sure !

brandonR
brandonR

If you're thinking about trying Kouros for the first time, think temple scene from the original Conan the Barbarian film. Other words to sum It up would be, "sweet Incense, soap, cinnamon and dirty linen with a bit of horse worn leather". You've never smelled something so unique and intriguing as Kouros. It's simply the best fragrance that I own, due in part to it's unique and brute force European personality. You just don't find scents at the local mall anymore that has the masculine character that Kouros drips. It really is a sink or swim scent. If you're not a Billy Badass, you're going to fail miserably with this one.

Guys, if you're seeking attention from women, here's your ticket to the big game. Just be aware that although you're going to stand out from the crowd amongst a world of Aqua Di Geo clones, Kouros is controversial. But let's be honest, that's why it's so fun to wear.

Make sure you stay away from the shitty fragrance 9/11 reformulation with white shoulders and base. Anything before that is fine. Probably my all time favorite scent.

neemox2
neemox2

Not for the faint hearted. Separate the boys from the men. I am the man and i am making my presence noticed. I am independent, a maverick and one with full authority.

Like or dislike my personality...i don't care.

Coz i am Kouros!

jackfort
jackfort

C'mon this really stinks guys. If you want to annoy people, this is the fragrance you're looking for.

A generous 3/10

Jason Bogie

I found a full 100ml bottle of vintage kouros in a remote Australian store for about US$40. You know, shiny bottle, edt and vapoisatuer etc under the kouros.
Wow. This stuff is magic.

zerby
zerby

When I first smelled this. I thought it smelled like
medicine. I took a liking to it. I was hooked.

Okay so sometimes you just have to concede that your tastes have changed or are so varied that you reject things you used to wear off hand...Kouros is one of these.
It's strange that I wore what is quite a grown up manly fragrance in my teens and yet now in my 30's I don't have all that many masculine beasts in my wardrobe.
I've not owned a bottle in several years and my memory of it in the 90's is pretty strong as it's the kind of scent that leaves a lasting impression. Anyway as soon as I revisited this classic I got all same feelings coming back which indicated to me that if it has been reformulated, it's not all that different.
I have to admit that I'm not generally a fan of overly animistic or musky fragrances unless they have finesse and Kouros definitely has that.
As fresh, interesting, complex, masculine and as relevant today as it was when released...I'm honestly considering wearing this again.
Not going to say much more as there's some great passionate reviews about this one but longevity and projection are massive and my favourite elements of the composition are the strong oakmoss and leathery, powdery, musky drydown with the slightest hint of honey. Kouros is great!

Jay T
Jay T

J'adore ce parfum. Je ne savais pas si je pouvais tirer cette off quand j'ai essayé car il est très masculin, mais je me sentais bien portant. Le musc est supérieure et tellement unique. Il a presque comme mettre l'odeur corporelle d'une autre personne, mais dans le bon sens. Mes blonde déteste mais je ne m'inquiète pas un peu.

Marciu

IMO the key is to know how to wear it. If I had a full bottle with the juice that I have, I'd use one spray on the front of the neck and that's it. Sometimes 3 sprays from the decant is too much for me.

I'm very curious about the newest formulation. I heard it's dry and not so full-rounded compared to old formulation, without civet and oak moss. Will have to buy and see by myself.

Christy135
Christy135

Είναι το αγαπημένο μου αντρικό άρωμα... Όταν το μυρίζω σε κάποιον γεμίζω ερωτική διάθεση.... μην κρυβόμαστε... για μένα το πιο διαχρονικό και σέξυ αντρικό άρωμα... Δεν υπάρχει..... <3

Poboijosh

My goodness! This juice just makes me giddy ever time I wear it... I own quite a few perfumes, low and high end, and YSL`s Kouros is still my favorite ever. It has stupid amounts of depth, sillage and longevity, and is so multi-faceted that it takes my breath away every time I wear it. The beauty of Kouros is quite overwhelming. As it drys down, it progressively gets better, and better, and better, and it's my favorite bed time perfume. I love to just go crazy on the trigger and envelope myself in a thick and heavy cloud of floral and powdery, filthy dirty olfactory overload and `smell` myself to sleep. Upon waking up the next morning, I just wreak of Civet, Leather, and Honey, and I love it! I wish I can smell the effect that this creates on someone other than myself because I'd probably rip their clothes off right then and there...

Hint: If you layer Kouros with it's `girly twin` which is Robert Piguet`s Bandit, that's Civet and Leather heavy, has loads of gorgeous florals, and is an Eau de Parfum, it kicks the longevity and sillage into next week and makes Kouros that much more beautiful... It's simply mindblowing!

ritvik.carvalho
ritvik.carvalho

The first time I tried YSL’s Kouros, I didn’t smell it. I heard it. Kouros is a body scent (note, I did not say perfume) that literally reeks. But don’t mistake the barbed language for criticism - I love this fragrance. One spray, and I instantly knew why they named it after those nude statues of Greek youths - it so naturally and powerfully captures the spirit (read, smell) of male vitality. Make no mistake gentlemen, this right here is the Y chromosome, juiced and bottled in its purest form. This right here is Man. The Male Spirit. The Life Force. The Fertile Procreator. Look no further.

Kouros opens with a huge, oily blast of civet and several floral accords, closely followed by honey. I’m no trained nose, and I honestly can’t tell note for note what the other ingredients in this gem are – maybe it’s because they’re so expertly blended. However, in my opinion, what makes Kouros a masterpiece is the skillful blend, not just of ingredients, but also of contrasting facets that spring to life, especially in cold weather. It’s as fresh as a bouquet of flowers yet it’s as dirty as your own post-workout sweat. It’s floral yet animalic. It’s smooth one minute, yet textured the next. It’s bold and brash, yet cultured and refined. Where you won’t find contrasts however, is on the person wearing it. Kouros is a polarizing scent for one single reason – you don’t wear it. It wears you. It’s for the headstrong man who grabs life by the balls, the unafraid alpha male who confidently projects his personality (King Leonidas?). Add to all of this Colossus-like sillage that towers over you (and everyone else) , longevity that subtly represents the age of an acropolis, a bottle that resembles a free-standing Greek column and… I’ve run out of synonyms for masterpiece. Then again, I shouldn't be ashamed. Kouros was created by the avant-garde Pierre Bourdon, the very nose behind another genre-spawning household name - Davidoff’s Cool Water.

Marciu

Believe me or not, but today king Kouros surprised me again. After sour civet-aldehydic intro what I feel is... incense! Pure, incense smoke, mixed a little with camphor. I couldn't believe my nose, but it's happening!

Stunning, marvelous, exquisite fragrance!

hdn
hdn

I had this one but I'm rather puzzled by the fact its marketing should have started in 1981 as in my memories it should have been one to three years earlier.

Anyway it was during my time at university and I really liked it and wore it a lot, but then got too much of it and went to look for some more decent, classic ones.

Mando
Mando

This scent is costus root, costus root, costus root! The smell of wet dog hair. I love it!

Jason Bogie

I have an old 50ml bottle with the eau de toilette tucked just underneath kouros. I read that this may be an old one . Well , I put it on at 4 am before an early flight today and its still hanging in there at 9 pm. My wife hates it.

jude1321

What else can u say about this all time classic. This is what men should smell like, no aquatic here people. Kouros is a sexy titan that has stood the test of time. This is a scent for men that like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. This is a scent for those of us that realize the 1980s sexy power scents will NEVER go out of style, and we will NEVER surrender to the weak aquatics that dominate the male fragrance market today. Long live the mighty 1980s! Long live the mighty Kouros!!

paranoidandroid
paranoidandroid

The world needs another Kouros review like I need a hammer to my face. However, I cannot help myself.

This is a masterpiece. Plain and simple. No other way to describe it.

Like Derby and Patou pour Homme (fragrances that it has nothing to do with smell-wise), this is a representation of how all the excesses of the 80s could still be channeled into something that was stunningly complex and beautiful.

Even repeated mutilations and violent acts of sabotage (politely referred to as reformulation) - cannot hide the unapologetically sexual/romantic aroma that this fragrance conjures.

This is the male equivalent of Rochas Femme in its frank sexual attitude. However, far from being pornographic, this sexuality bubbles over with the sort of magnetism that true honesty does. True and honest admissions of sexual desire for you.

Effusive and kind, honest and erotic; this is the perfect translation of the roughness of a lover's hair rough lightly bruising your skin. The feel of a linen shirt with just the top button open and blowing in the summer breeze against a setting sun. Honest, passionate and heartfelt.

The latest version adopts a dull-grey opening where the original was deep and aromatic and wet - like the snapped twigs of plants that exude white, mildly drying sap when their twigs are snapped. The artemisa and clary sage are both muted. The citrus faces the death of a thousand cuts that modern citruses do. The civet has the flat whiteness instead of the plush velvet feel of vintage civet.

In the drydown however, things come together. The oakmoss (more treemoss) is strong. The honey tonka and vanilla are pronounced and linger. The civetty musk melts into the base.

You cannot discount the gray top- which unfortunately persists into the base. However, you recognize this man. This lover of yours from your young carefree days. When the days were filled with sun and laughter- and the afternoon sun draped itself over your naked bodies as the thin curtain waved in the sea-breeze. The feel of those lips, the smell of that slightly stale cigarette that you felt so naughty smoking just that one time. The memory of that mistake- that was anything but.

As René Magritte would say- ceci n'est pas une parfum.

tolgacavdar
tolgacavdar

I know nobody needs yet another Kouros review. Except for the musk and civet, I cannot even count its notes. I am writing here now because as far as I see, I will not be able to find a person that may love Kouros around me.

How can this be possible? How cannot people see this beauty? I used or tried dozens of scents and none of them could get even close to Kouros. It's so unique, magnificent, incredible, amazing and spectacular. I would want to describe it with better words but I am not a native English speaker and those were the best words I could find from the dictionary.

Alas! Neither a man nor a woman I know likes it! My friends, my wife, my daughters and even my barber! Nobody... Are we all not humans? Do not we have similar anatomical structures? How can our tastes be so different? I am using my lovely Kouros just like an illegal stuff! This is incredible!

Oh, Kouros, I give 10, oh no 1000 points, to everything of yours and zero point to the people who cannot appreciate you.

bazil14
bazil14

i can understand when people say they pick up the smell of piss i remember smelling the bottle of this in boots as my routine when testing out a frag is to smell the nozzle if it smells good illthen try on card and then skin the first time i sniffed the nozzle i revolted the way ppl on public transport do when the smelly person gets on ... anyway after plucking up the couragage to try on card i did and was glad i did because this is a excellent example of how a masculine frag should be done its now on my to buy list but not just yet because this is definatly a fragrance i need to mature into and bein a younger looking 30 yr old i feel that kouros wouldnt suit me...just yet

lee_maccuckoo
lee_maccuckoo

I guess we must bear in mind that the civet note in Kouros is what makes it a true maverick, a landmark in masculinity and, along with Chanel Antaeus, the fragrance I wear those days I want to mark my territory, when I feel at my most primeval and bestial manhood.

Now the fact that girls might despise it... well, perhaps it might indeed be more appreciated by women in their full bloom instead, which simply enhances the grandeur of this masterpiece IMO. Thumbs definitely up.

CDGfan

KOUROS in its pre Loreal condition is a masterpiece.
I have a vintage late 90s Kouros on my right arm and the drydown is just FUCKING AMAZING, yes I said the F word because rarely do you see such a gorgeous dry down.
Imagine a smokey Indian patchouli champa incense with honey,civet and musk drizzled on it and its aroma wafting through a marble Hindu or Buddhist temple yet at the same time this fragrance is very sexual.

Its like wearing a sexy champa on your skin and the concept of Kouros is brilliant. Just like incense is lit in temples to honor deities, Kouros is like an incense which honors Masculinity.

I have yet to see a designer fragrance which touches the brilliance that is Kouros. This is THE male no 5, without a doubt.

benpaul12
benpaul12

I find that this initially smells like an older man's fragrance on early application but it very quickly loses this and honestly becomes one of the best men's colognes I have ever smelt and a cologne I fell for as soon as I started wearing it.

Two particular aspects have blown me away...that there is an incredibly intriguing wood-like base produced by the leather, vetiver and resins. This softens the floral civet mix early on.

The second aspect is the rich dry down around 10 hours afterwards (yes it lasts that long) which gives a similar Antaeus vibe of animalistic sex appeal mixed with herbs.

My girlfriend fell in love with this on me too, where it usually takes her awhile to like new cologne. She loves how "sexy" this smells.

Glad I gave this one a good go. Thanks to the naysayers making this so mysterious!

Jason Harrison
Jason Harrison

A thing of beauty. Beautiful bottle. Blast from the past...Still going for high prices

kmita
kmita

My review for this went poof. I can still see it under my profile but it's nowhere to be found on this page. It's pretty bad to think that someone is going around tossing out reviews they don't like or agree with.

So here's the deal. Scent is subjective. Things do NOT smell the same to everyone and anyone who tells you otherwise is either uneducated or has an agenda.

Look at the number of dislikes and compare to the number of people who LOVE this scent. Look at the people who love it and see how angrily they address the opinions of people who dislike it.

There is not a rumor that this smells like urinal cakes. IT DOES smell like urinal cakes to SOME of us. Maybe your nose is different. Maybe the urinal cakes where you live smell different. Regardless of what you personally think about this scent, if you wear it out into public you may come across people who think you smell like you took a bath in a mens urinal.

Delete this review again. I'll post it again. What's the point of even having reviews if they delete dissenting opinions?

This is now the third time my review has been deleted. Get a life.

Runbox
Runbox

Kouros. I love you.

Yeah. I blind bought a bottle a few weeks ago. Mostly out of curiosity. I was a bit disappointed right after the first spray. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but certainly something wilder, something dirty - possibly somehting horribly foul. Instead i got a clean, and very manly, smell. If you like scents like Azzaro PH and Rive Gauche PH, you should like Kouros as well. It doesn't smell the same, but it has a bit of the same vibe. These three are now kings of my collection.

I do get that urinal cake smell some people talk about, but only because I've read it too many times when Kouros has been discussed. If I hadn't been aware of it, I wouldn't have thought of it. Anyway, it's just a small part in this magnificent fragrance.

I'm a quite conservative user of perfumes, and since Kouros is very potent, I never move beyond 1 spray. On the chest. And not too close to it. I did a spray close to my chest the second time I wore it. And, although my girlfriend likes Kouros, she couldn't keep her head on my chest that evening.

I'm in my late 20s, by the way. No need to worry about Kouros beeing an old man's scent. It's a man's scent though - not a boy's.

orestes

The bottle change! only the cap has metal up and down,does not have now the metal bottom,unfortunately also reformulated..... congratulation L'OREAL! YOU MURDER ANOTHER ONE LENGENDARY FRAGRANCE....

Vovvevov
Vovvevov

I am now waiting for the delivery of a bottle of my own, after more than a year of evaluating it in different stores. The part of this perfume that I am all for, with no complications, is the far dry-down.

Especially what happens when the fabric of clothes catch the dried down substance, and then the next day reinforce the almost gone remnants on the skin.
That scent I believe few people would have much against.

It´s primarily the actual wearing, in the first place, that displays some contradictory and potentially unsettling qualities of the perfume.
But which also are part of whats intriguing in it, once you have sorted it out for a while..

maio2012

Few houses have such extraordinary list of masculine fragrances as YSL: Kouros, M7, Rive Gauche, Jazz/Jazz Prestige...and many very good perfumes, like L´Homme and its flankers, Opium pour homme, YSL pour Homme, some Kouro`s flankers, and the revisited fragrances of La Collection. Kouros, the original, is very selective: few people know how to use it - quantity, weather, time of the day, spirit of the moment, mood. If it is used inadequately, can be offensive, headache and aversion-maker; if it is used with care and reflexion, can be sublime. It is art of using perfume.

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

Definitely confusing... I can't make up my mind over this! It's really a masterpiece, it's aroma is very powerful and seductive. However, if I smell it too much, I feel sick! How can a beautiful smell like this one makes you sick? I bet it's the civet!

Kouros is an underrated fragrance. It's a love or hate relationship between the scent and the nose. And I love it despite that minor setback!

Very long lasting and very masculine, Kouros is a fragrance that rewards greatly to those who apreciate it.

Padhee83
Padhee83

Definitely a male scent.Forget urinal cakes and Poo and all.These comparisons are just height of exaggeration.I bet there is no other male perfume in the world which comes close to the maleness of Kouros.Yes,there are perfumes like Quorum,Drakkar Noir,Ted Lapidus,Azzaro Pour Homme,Antaeus etc but nothing comes close to Kouros.
Opening has lots of spices,middle notes has civet and some flowery notes but they are not feminine at all.The base has musk which resembles Ambergris and it somehow feels soapy but in a good way.
Lasting power is good 8-10 hours with moderate sillage.I guess I have the reformulated version which is a little bit subdued as compared to the older versions.
Kouros is definitely male.Fantastic and different.Brilliant!!!

frog23
frog23

I had to laugh when i finally wore this. After reading the reviews of it, with so much Love for it and so much Hate for it. I put it on and sat there thinking "damn. I'm stuck. I don't love it. I don't hate it."

After a couple of hours. Same thing.

But i decided i can live with it. Not a spectacular endorsement.

I get a cinnamon smell from Kouros at first. I found it to be strong. Towards the middle of the day it struck me that i was picking up an almost aquatic smell from it. Which i love. So it is growing on me.

I can see why this gets the love and hate. Sorry I can't steer you in either direction.

I like it........i don't love it........i think???

petranfx
petranfx

the good the bad and the ugly kouros.so many love so less like and many dislikes

Critic
Critic

I get a sweet, soapy vibe. Rather pleasant. It's just a little too odd and I'm ashamed to say I have never worn it in public.

An interesting smell nonetheless.

X fragrant

All the naysayers of Kouros wouldn't know a good cologne if it pulled down their pants and gave them head. Take your affinity for vanilla and citrus somewhere else. Please.

Among the most alpha-masculine smells ever created along with Antaeus, Yatagan, Lagerfeld, Jovan Musk, Koublai Khan, Ungaro Ii, Perry Ellis (1985)...

I miss the powerhouse era...needs a revival: Bring back the animalic musks!!!

VanAllan
VanAllan

An iconic fragrance and a refference in the scent world, which I used to hate when I was younger (when a lot of foreign students wore it way too loud making it unbearable for the rest of us).
I tried it again couple of weeks ago and it catched me because on one hand my nose has 'matured' meanwhile and on the other hand this reformulated version is (fortunatelly) more bearable for me, so when I got the chance I bought it happily.
Coriander, sage, bergamot with a touch of honey sweetness is what I get from the start, followed quickly by an mellowing flowery combo of geranium, patchouli and carnation, with the top aromatic-sweetness still in background. In the next 2 hrs the scent matures in its leathery-animalic-musky base, very mature and compelling.
A great 'barbershop' style frag which I really like it a lot and even if it's kinda 'weak' now (for others who used to treasure its vintage version's power) it suits me well and so others noses around me. My rank 8/10 - a keeper in my everyday wardrobe. ☣☣☣☣

Poboijosh

Kouros is a fragrance that needs to be`owned` per say... The sheer amount of time, manpower, skill, and chemical know-how that has been poured into this wild elixir is mindboggling! The chemical transformations that take place blow my mind. It goes thru 3 completely different stages, which each progressively get better, with the final drydown being the winner! The opening is very floral, sharp, and cold, but morphs into this warm and soft, snuggly, Civet and Oakmoss blanket that's so pleasing and delicious, masculine and sexy. It is absolutely not for the timid at heart, but there is absolutely NOTHING to be scared of here!! It is divine, refined, classic, über sexy, and just down right hits that pleasure sensor in the brain. The Civet is the key maker, hands down. I see the majority of comments are on the negative about the `piss` smell... Hmmm, the power of suggestion is amazing, isn't it?! There IS no piss smell, it's animalic. Don't you catch yourself kinda, just kinda getting some enjoyment from that sweaty pit odor you get every now and again, almost BO smell?? I think we all do, and that's why you can't stop sneaking whiffs from this phenomenally blended masterpiece, because YSL did a damn great job at SUBLIMINALLY hiding that hormone inducing Civet within Kouros. This fragrance is totally pheremone based. To explain this better, it works with your natural `smell` and accentuates it, but in a dirty sex, I wanna get naked with that person kinda way. But you will only accomplish these results with 4 or 5 sprays on your chest. The finality of the drydown is Oakmoss and Civet (80/20%), but it's extremely tricky how the Civet operates here, you more or less `taste` it rather than smell it, and the combo truly is intoxicating. After 14 hours or so these 2 notes` roles reverse, and then the remainder of smell is Civet, so it`s musty, dirty, and ferret smelling, but respectfully in the cleanest and best way! Ultimately, and the whole moral of this story being, is that Kouros really is in a league all it's own. It works not only on your olfactory senses, but also chemically within your brain. I don't know if it's only me, but when I sniff Kouros, it visually in my mind appears as a light brown color, and soft like corduroy, and kinda makes me hungry! 10 out of 10!!!

Gotlaub
Gotlaub

Kouros is among the few fragrances which underlines the true power of the men.

Arber Cami
Arber Cami

Only real men understand that this perfume is a part of History, this perfume is absolutely fantastic...

dmd63
dmd63

scent - 20/10
silage - 20/10
longevity - 20/10

Kouros starts and ends the discussion of what a fragrance for men should be.

lovetribe

i wear it at 14.00 at 04.10 i feel and love itof a flanker of 5 years old.

kouros is the king!!!!!!!

Marciu

Amazing scent. I've sad it many times before but I have to repeat it. It will never stop to surprise and amaze me.

Today I used 3 sprays and after this aldehydic-civet intro the main thing I can smell is oakmoss. Kouros never was so earthy on me...Incredible...

Now it's ~2 hours after apply and it evolves into honey-patchouli-herbal fragrance.

I repeat - I own the vintage one, so I have to definitely check out how are things going with the current formula.

Ignitron
Ignitron

Here I sit at my computer with a smelling strip doused with Kouros about 2 hours ago. I was very eager to try this legendary scent, and finally I've accomplished that.

Well, I see now that I can't trust what I read in reviews. This is a very classy scent. It smells like masculine cologne, not like sweaty bollocks or cat piss that are frequently mentioned. I also disagree that you have to be 40+ or super macho to wear this. Nonsense, if you don't end every sentence in "LOL" or ":)", you are about mature enough to wear Kouros. Pretty much like any other masculine fragrance.

Again - at least smelling from a strip, there's nothing putrid about this juice. It speaks of class and luxury. It would smell wonderful on someone wearing a button-down shirt, rather than shorts and t-shirt. Greek culture and nature was Mr. Saint Laurent's inspiration for this cologne, and in my mind it surely evokes the picture of white marble statue in the background of a blue Mediterranean sky. The name Kouros is very appropriate.I wish it was possible to describe smells.

Also, who cares whether it was reformulated or not. This version simply smells good, what else do you need.

Adler
Adler

Anybody who has read my past few posts will know that I've developed a bit of an obsession with Kouros. Despite the numerous reviews claiming it has been reformulated and is a shadow of its former self ("The King has died!"), I went ahead and bought the current version of Kouros, with the grey font and lack of silver trimming on most of the bottle.
I certainly had no idea what to expect. I love cologne and always have since I got my first bottle of Sung Homme when I was about eight, but I'm not great at identifying scents.
If this was ever a masculine smell-bomb, it is certainly less of one now. Don't get me wrong, the smell is amazing, definitely in the top five I've ever worn, but the Civet is toned down.
When I smelled the bottle without spraying, there was a bit of a funk, sort of like a musty locker room or gym bag… in a good way.
When I spray, there is a mossy, earthy, incense smell. It's currently drying down on me and the incense becomes more apparent. And I definitely smell all the honey, spices, and herbs that people mention. What I have not heard about it is lavender, which I smell right now. There certainly is a musk, but this isn't a caveman cologne like the old version supposedly was.
I also got the opinions of people in my house - just my mother and my sister. I compared it with the Antonio Puig Quorum that I also bought; my mom immediately selected the Kouros and went on about how good it smelled.
My sister preferred the Quorum. What really got to me was that she initially said the Kouros was girly- imagine that! The original Kouros must be rolling in its grave. But she said she would never wear it or anything, and withdrew the original statement when she smelled it on my skin. I mentioned that the old one could supposedly clear out a room, and she said that that is not necessarily a good thing. She also said it smelled a bit like one of those Indian stores that sell all the incense and candles etc.
Why am I writing all this? Because almost all of the Kouros reviews are about the old formulation. The new one is fairly consistent with the old reviews for the most part- albeit with less civet. As this dries down, I can't stop smelling my shirt. I think the reformulation isn't an entirely bad thing- I can now use this daily as my signature scent, and it's much more wearable for a 20 year old like myself. I can even imagine this being worn in the summer.
In conclusion, the people who complain incessantly about the reformulation simply miss the old one… with good reason; it's not the King anymore. I'll look for a vintage version myself. But this formulation is delicious smelling, and better for mass-appeal than the old one. Kouros no longer needs to be worn with caution. Make of that what you will.
The King has not died; he has retired to a simpler life.
8/10, simply because I can tell this would be better with more Civet and Musk.

CDGfan

This is the perfect antidote to all the pansy mens fragrances out there in the market. Its perfect for men in 25-35 range, its energetic, its sexual , its virile and powerful and all the while introspective too. Easily one of
the best fragrance masterpieces.

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

I was so curious to smell this one, so I sprayed some on a test strip in Sephora. Well, I smelt no urine, or anything offensive. It's musky, pungent, masculine, but not bad! Then again, this is just my personal take on it - as a woman.

ed

Yesterday, I had a surprisingly unpleasant 'incident' involving Kouros.

I woke up feeling somewhat unwell and nauseous. Foolishly, I decided to wear Kouros to work. Given that the spritzer delivers pretty unimpressive little sprays, I daringly applied 5 times.

Well.... not being too well, I started to feel increasingly sick and the Kouros revealed a strange, potent and sweaty smell. I had to wash it off.

I actually really enjoy Kouros in the *right situation*. It is NOT a work fragrance. It is NOT a frag which should be applied liberally - it's not Lynx! And most of all, NEVER use Kouros when you have an upset stomach.

This evening, now my stomach is fine, I inhaled a little Kouros from a piece of tissue and it was good. It's a changeable beast. In particular, the animalic notes are revealed when you sweat.

In my opinion, Kouros is suitable only in the evening. It should be avoided during hot weather and when you're likely to sweat a lot eg. due to exercise. It's a good choice for a night out to the bar... after a few drinks, the potent aromatic frangrance can stimulate your senses. In this situation, a mild airy/citrusy frag would have no impact at all!

I neither love nor hate Kouros. Both apply, depending on the circumstances.

Be careful... and remember, Kouros can develop on your skin. I'm not sure exactly what, but 'stuff' does happen when it blends with your body chemistry!

;)

albion9
albion9

When someone writes on here that they don't like Kouros, I equate them with those who say they don't like the Beatles...and I wonder.

There may be some genetic predisposition to find this offensive/repulsive....like their is for broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables. It may just take repeated exposure. It is possibly beyond the comprehension of some.

I own it! I wear it! I love it! I don't care what others think or who I offend! I am a MAN! I have balls! All the women I know tell me I smell great!

Wear it on a showered body. Two sprays at the most. Get a formulation before 1999...with the words Eau de Toilette just under Kouros.

I believe this GREAT fragrance is the victim of mass hysteria and the power of suggestion. The nay-sayers read a review that mentions piss, or urinal, or sweat etc...so they try this MASTERPIECE with preconcieved notions of what to expect.

Wear the damn Kouros man...all day...then tell me what you think.

I bet most of the men that don't like it don't like cunnilingus or the smell of an excited woman either!

I can't bring myself to try the reformulation. Damn you L'oreal and IFRA!!!

10/10 in all respects!

Force
Force

Masterpiece

Used to hate it, but now i can't stand without it, dont't see any perfume beside it

I think its mystry in that every single note evolve at diffrent time along its life span, so you always feel the perfume and your nose not get acoustomed
Some times it reminds me of antaeous for its animalic, somtimes egoist for its cinnamon, Lapidus for its leather ...............................

I find myself with it, love it.

Asad K
Asad K

Kouros is a good strong manly fragrance. It gives a person a feel to be dirty , lol i dnt mean real dirty bt yea DIRTY . By dirty i mean , a man with rugged beard , Anger on his face , smoking a cigar and spraying this on his leather jacket at evening for a walk .
You'll be having sm idea wt im talking about :D
Buy !!

IF U R A MEN AND U LIKE STRONG CONFIDENT CLEAN GOOD SCENT WEAR THIS
KOUROS IS NOT A strawberry cup cake sweet metro or über sexual men desire it's JUST CLASSIC TIMLESS PERFUME
JUST GOOD

IF U R A MEN AND U LIKE STRONG CONFIDENT CLEAN GOOD SCENT WEAR THIS
JUST GOOD

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

I am so disappointed the current formulation made of Kouros - which used to be a true gem - a total stinking disaster. God, what and where are we heading for?!

sharifhossain
sharifhossain

Don’t judge the Kuoros by its strong initial blast as I did. The real beauty will reveal after a long hour and is hidden in it’s dry down. You will find the very pleasant warm and musky notes especially if it’s rainy season. But the disappointing thing is that you wouldn’t wait for the long-hour dry down! Another thing is that if you are new to Kuoros, you have to train your nose. At first you will dislike it and you won’t start to like it until a few weeks pass!

Fonna2
Fonna2

The Scent of the AntiChrist.....lol

That's about the right analogy for it.
I find no need to write another post, as I already id way beloe there as Fonna.
Just revisiting the pages to fill up my like and dislike list.

Mmmmm, yeah Kouros.
The scent that permeates your skin AND soul.

hydor
hydor

This stuff is eternal like the archaic marbles!The flacon and the box have obvious motives and referances to the greek antiquity. Probably the creator of this juice wanted to capture the smell of the rafinated brutality of the young male models of kouroi(pl of kouros,the archaic greek male statue)! In any case belongs to the top 10 of the male parfumery

Firmansyah
Firmansyah

Its Leonidas's smell.
Brave. Dominant. A king.

-300-

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

Like Cher's face, Keith Richards, cockroaches and fruitcake, Kouros is one of those rare things that would likely survive armageddon.

ed

Smelled this yesterday in Boots. Initially, it was highly potent and rather unpleasant. After a minute or so, I did get the 'urinal cube' smell that someone mentioned. Anyway...

After a few more minutes it became increasingly aromatic and attractive. I actually think I might really like it, but I'd need to smell it a few more times to make sure. For sure, it's much less generic than most of the male fragrances currently on sale.

Marciu

Does anyone get a "camphor" note with Kouros, especially with the vintage juice? I do, quite a lot. And I actually like that :D

markino
markino

This amazing fragrance hasn t change a hint since the 80's. A great survivor!!!

smaragda
smaragda

this is one of the best masculine scents for me. regrettably without female version :(

RobbieX

Kouros really is a daring, gorgeous and powerful oriental fragrance that lasts all day. A classic in the real sense. If you smell it on your clothes the next day it is stunning.

I can understand why some people don't like certain fragrances but later in life they change their minds and love them. I never used to like vanillas but now, they are some of my favourites. I suppose that your senses evolve and change as you age!

Mr.Bobby.N
Mr.Bobby.N

I used to really dislike this bold fragrance back in the early days when I thought I was only a 'citrus/imperial' kind of guy, and joined others in mocking it...

... but as time went on, and I was exposed to (and educated more) by the subtleties of different smells (Like ENCRE NOIRE or AMOUAGE), I've come around and can actually appreciate KOUROS now... It's like I've been educated to the point of "ahh, I get this smell now."

To those that simply hate KOUROS because it shares a note with urinal cakes... well, everyone's nose is different. I certainly don't stop wearing AZZARO CHROME LEGEND becasue it smells similar to a toilet freshener I have.

Anyway, it's all personal taste.

To me, KOUROS is one of the strongest, manliest, freshest and most 'alive' scents I've smelt. My nose has gone from detesting it's boldness, to now embracing it.

Just great.

---------------------------------------------
SILLAGE: Excellent (the best)!
LONGEVITY: excellent (rediculous)!
SCENT: Excellent
VALUE FOR MONEY: Excellent

OVERALL: 10/10
---------------------------------------------

Gazo30
Gazo30

Wow, got this 1st thing this morning, applied 3 sprays and what a result!! its still potent now 10hrs on and no sign of going anywhere soon!! i just love the unique smell of this, i cant see where people are getting the piss cake smell though? yes its opening is sharp but nothing like a piss cake lol!! after maybe 45mins its a smooth clean scent, a little musky & definitely manly

10/10 for me!!

Keith51679
Keith51679

I wear this out at night once in a while and let me tell you it's potent stuff and has gotten me results if you know what I mean. My bottle is a tester produced in 2010 and one spray to the hand will stay all day into the next. I'm a 34 year old man and I think it's great stuff and one of my best blind buys ever. I have no regrets!

sagarjanvekar
sagarjanvekar

Antaeus ? Or Kouros?...which is which
they are amazing .....

FlashAdler221
FlashAdler221

A neighbor of mine is also a colognehead. He gave me a full bottle of this stuff free of charge. He said that he hated it and his wife hated it on him. I tried it on me and although I thought it was very clean smelling, I didn't like it either. It smells like a bar of generic soap to me and that is all I get out of it. Potent yet generic soap. I still have it but I never wear it.

bluektq
bluektq

After being curious for quite some time because of the reviews of this fragrance, I finally decided to blind-buy this.
Yes it's true... the initial spray does smell like urinal cake, BUT the dry-down smells fantastic and it is worth to wait. It's unique, sexy, confident, masculine and classy at the same time. The silage & longevity is beyond average. It is a love or hate fragrance, for me, it's definitely LOVE.
(I can't stop sniffing my wrist)

georgequeue

This fragrance is pure deliciousness! I'll get myself a bottle of this juice for Christmas. :)

UPDATE:
I might be wrong, but I'd tried this fragrance back in 1990, from a friend of my father's, and it smelled almost exactly the same as the current version, which I think is not bad; it does smell a little dated and does have a fetid note - I believe this makes it more fascinating and mysterious. -
I'll be buying this intoxicating potion in a few weeks hopefully (I failed to buy it last Christmas). The reason is mainly that I've grown to love old fragrances throughout these recent years, especially because they remind me of days gone by.

JULY 28TH, 2014 UPDATE:
I went to a cosmetics shop this afternoon, and I asked the saleswoman for Kouros, so she gave me a piece of paper sprinkled with it - which I haven't stopped smelling ever since; - my verdict: a unique, top-notch, spellbinding fragrance!!!
To me, it smells rather clean, and I don't feel any urinal cake odor at all; I do feel an in-your-face blow of honey and talc plus a mixture of spices, leather, wood, and flowers, which is certainly not for men under their twenties. I find it much better and more pleasant to wear than Dior Jules. Either vintage or reformulation, YSL Kouros is an out-of-this-world scent!!! Not having it before has been wasted years; I'd tried it last year, but I didn't like it back then, which is strange because I had previously smelled it on a few high-school classmates years ago, leaving me willing to ask them what fragrance that was but never did. Today, I say, "I can't believe I couldn't recognize this fragrance before! Why had I never bought it previously?" Shame on me!!!

Again, I'll be getting this concoction in a few days, weeks,...I don't know! But it will definitely be on my shelf soon.

JULY 29TH, 2014 UPDATE:
I couldn't take it any longer...I'VE FINALLY BOUGHT MY BOTTLE OF THIS AMAZING ELIXIR!!! (I'm wondering, "The best fragrance ever?"). Although this is the current version, longevity is insane (almost 12 hours on my skin!), and the drydown is hallucinating indeed.

ahmadmohee
ahmadmohee

don't use this fragrance unless you have a long hike or you are going to swim or workout and would like to smell good after. at any-case I find it a must have for all perfume lovers, great experince to learn where the perfume industry can reach!

timd
timd

Just picked this up today as it has been on the list to get for a while.

Love it! Most of all because it is a time machine I swear I have been transported 30 years back to the mid 80's!

Sits very nicely on the shelf between old spice and tabac. Only brut to go ;)

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

Kouros…what animal scent you are! It really stands on its own, bright and loud. There is no present fragrance could match this beast. Even though others said this is old-fashioned, for old people…I don’t care! It smells great and blending nicely on me, luv it!

GMK
GMK

Kouros Vintage is one of the Greatest ever scent created for a MAN, the more i wear it the better i understand it. Love the way it grows on my skin, I am totally addicted to this awesome yet complex Masterpiece.

Hats off to you Mr. Pierre Bourdon

shahab.zaidi

Great Cologne, Great projection and great longevity .I find it unisex...

lovetribe

after antaeus and la martina bayres.the best for me.

Marciu

Today is a quite hot summer day. I had to use 1/2 spray of Kouros from the decant to prove how much I love it. So I sprayed that 1/2 spray on my neck and then wrapped it all over my neck and then on my wrists.

I project like a beast :D However, my family passes me by (normally they compliment me when I wear it). Yes, even such a small amount is TOO MUCH in summer. Colder nights might be ok, but I think Kouros will be my suit-and-tie fragrance.

ilprezzo

This actually made me change Seats in a Movie Theater once,cause the Guy next to me was wearing lots of it...couldn`t breathe.

shahab.zaidi

This is going to be my next Buy. This is somewhere a Gothic stuff. when i first sniffed it on a shop , i got a haunted vibe. Indeed this powerful scent will seize you.

Pissy or masterpiece?

Answer: this depends ENTIRELY on its reaction with your skin chemistry. Entirely. I had no idea what this piss smell everyone complained about. I thought every mans nose grew a vulva thanks to the contemporary crap put on today. I always just appreciated it as a musky scent that some people couldnt handle. However, I performed an experiment. I put Kouros on my skin and two of my other male friends. One friend it smelled HORRID on, absolutely dreadful. But I must insist if you love perfume do not discredit this one as a "urinal cake" but sample it and try it out. I actually receive many compliments from females when I wear this. and most importantly I appreciate its boldness.

spaniel
spaniel

The parfumier's of Hell were working an eternity to make this one.

How something that by all detectable components can smell so agreeable, can be so detestable is beyond me. It certainly made my girlfriend refuse to come near me for 6 hours. The most profound sillage I have ever seen. Makes your eyes water. Enters the room before you.

Smells like a council worker spraying down and disinfecting the aftermath of abhorrent acts in a dark alley adjacent to a gay pride march.

I bought a 10mL vial (vile?) of the classic 80s formulation because anyone who is new to scents and spends enough time on Fragrantica, eventually really really wants to try Kouros, Yatagan, Antaeus, Eau Sauvage and Givenchy Gentleman.

All I can say is, skip the Kouros.

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

The newer formulation is indeed weaker and lasts a few hours. It doesn't have that rich rich pungently sweet honey like animal mustiness anymore. This is probably the note that people disliked the most, since it does have a kind of distant, pissy quality
(specifically, Buck urine that hunters use, after it's allowed to dry for a couple days until only the solids are left... shockingly, it then has that very SAME intensely sweet, eye opening, and quite frankly, erogenous Honey that lingers 24hrs+ Sound unsettling?... no, just look at what Castoreum is!).
But not dirty, more like, urinal cake, yes.
Still heavy on cloves and cinnamon Aldehydes. It's a bit fresher and more agreeable to a wider audience, i think.
Pierre Bourdon is one of my favorite perfumers. AKA for Davidoff's Cool Water, which also has amazingly complex, dynamic profiles that are ingeniously layered.
the overall scent profile is a LOT more linear, without much transition.
well.. if there is no more vintages, i'd say... r.i.p?

Alexandre
Alexandre

Many do not like this fragrance because Kouros is not a fragrance for beginners...It's like a relationship, little by little it will conquer. At first bitter and threatening recalls male soap or aftershave, after a while its nuances will be shown, the touch of animalistic civete and leather that leaves a scent aphrodisiac, mixed with moss, kouros becomes a master piece! For me it has some resemblance Lapidus pour homme. I also recommend YSL Rive Gauche.

kamilleisamansname
kamilleisamansname

Kouros opens up cleanly with aldehydic, woodsy, herbal and spicy notes, then some very prominent smoky and animalic notes begin to reveal themselves, leather, musk and civet being the most noticeable. Really old-school. It's a sexy, masculine powerhouse of a cologne that probably isn't safe for work unless you work as a lumberjack. Kouros smells of confidence, and can even come off as arrogant in the wrong situation. It's surprisingly affordable and has some serious projection, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't care for darker, muskier fragrances.

sam.bo.dubai
sam.bo.dubai

This one is very popular among Indians. It's very strong and annoying, especially if 4 or 5 guys at work are wearing it (sometimes I can't breath.

this perfume is in my black list at workplace after "He Wood by Dsquared2"

missan

I must admit I have bit of a problem with Kouros.

Every time I find an older Aftershave I just have to buy it.

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

As Cleveland Brown of Family Guy would say, "Oh, that's nasty!!!"

anthony.klune
anthony.klune

It was a gift when I was 19 and my first scent. I didn't really like it, too powdery, but my girlfriend, and another female friend absolutely loved it so I ended up wearing it all the time. Talk about staying power! It would be on clothes I'd worn for days. It settled much better than when first sprayed on in my mind. Once it lost that powdery smell, it was bearable, even nice on clothes that had even been washed. I would never wear it again though.

Migalex

It seems in fact to have been reformulated recently. It is weaker, and the scnet goes straight to what the drydown used to smell like. having said that, silage and staying power are still quite good.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

Very masculine, not for the timid. If Kouros is a bit much for you, check out its sleeker cousin Chanel Antaeus.

arron97
arron97

kouros..old school powerhouse with an enormous longevity rarely found in today's current array of scents.it's a love or hate fragrance..i personally love it until i realise that not everyone around me did.As image is important i've dumped kouros after 6 months of quite a good relationship and i'm now on the market searching for a new lover.

nicvalentino1
nicvalentino1

Whoa. I won't sit here and say this is a horrible scent, because I can understand why a certain type of person would love this one. But I'm not one of them. Being a 27 year old, this is just waaaaay to mature for me. I agree with everyone about it being such a heavy, in your face type of a scent. I regifted this to my dad and he adores it.

fuggerone
fuggerone

talking of the pre 2010 formulation.. a powerful blend of sex and classiness, no kid stuff and no nonsense, this juice is not for everyone, got to be a self assured confident powerhouse freak.. this juice stays first line in my wardrobe! it's da bomb!

Jola 72
Jola 72

I love this scent on my man Really sexy warm skin scent,best in summer I like to take a deep breath from his neck Mmm...Kouros ,scent of self confidence and strong personality Will always be my favorite

ION

Yes, Marciu, it appears so. I tried Kouros last week after a long time. It felt weaker, with its longevity and sillage handicapped.

DaZeD

Ichariot totally nailed it!

Don't bother to try and wash it off, it penetrates every pore, every molecule, every atom, even sandpaper won't get this off, don't bother layering it with something else, you'll have to live with it for a while, it's the alpha male of perfumes.

madgefan
madgefan

This cologne takes no prisoners. I love it. Totally in your face. All civet and leather. A powerhouse for a man or woman with a bold personality.

Ichariot
Ichariot

The reason why I like this scent is not because it smells good on me, because it doesnt.. It smells like sprinkled urine all over me.

BUT!

When I first tried it, I instantly thought of my best friend (_he is a god damn giant, his arms are probably as thick as my thighs and his thighs are probably as thick as my torso. He is tattoeed all over including around his throat and hands all the way to fingers and all that, scarred all around his body due to all kinds of shady stuff he has done in his life, and and and, alltogether he just looks like a modern day gladiator or barbarian [which he pretty much is at times] and is indeed an intimidating sight_) ANYWAYS!

I took him to the shop and made him test it on his skin. Then we went for a coffee and I told him to let it settle for a while. 20 minutes later I noticed something extremely good, I couldn't believe it was the same scent I had sampled earlier on. His body chemistry and natural personality and all that just matched the ingredients and composition of Kouros perfectly making it smell like a nectar of gods. He loved it aswell. I told him to buy it but he couldn't grab it right off and I think later on he forgot about it.

Nevertheless this goes to prove Kouros is one of those strong bold scents that really require the right type of person to wear it. I'm a lover, not a fighter and that's why Kouros is not for me, but for him it was perfect.

Beepert
Beepert

Why do I love it so much?? I HATE civet in other perfumes I've smelt... but somehow in this one it's divine!
I sprayed it at the shop today expecting to gag, and crinkled my face up before I even sniffed... and what happened?? I adored it! Incensey, intimate, sexy, powerful. I can't imagine why anyone WOULDN'T love it... I'm having an identity crisis over civet!!!

Ariesboy
Ariesboy

KOUROS you brute of a man! Storms in like a bull in a china shop and knocks everyone and everything out of his way. "IM HERE!"

It is a gritty, animalic scent that was worn by my Uncle his entire life. So it is associated with childhood for me and trips overseas. I remember asking Dad as a little boy, "Why can't you smell like that!" He replied " Your mum doesn't want me smelling like her brother in law!" Fair point.

Now as an adult I enjoy wearing this fragrance for myself. But no matter how many times I wear it for some reason it smelt SO MUCH better on my Uncle. I can't reproduce that memory of what I smelt. Maybe it was the combination of the cigarettes he used to smoke that created a layer of tobacco, or maybe it was just the original formulation...Who knows. Regardless, i still enjoy it very much.

Use it for the gym mostly

Marciu

And BTW, I heard, that the reformulated version(I mean last reformulation) of Kouros is weak, in some way "powdery" and lasts about 2-3 hours or so :( Can anyone confirm/deny this? I'd really appreciate...

Marciu

@id I agree almost with every word you said except one thing. This is not an unisex scent... I wouldn't dare myself to give it to my gf. Well, she did, and grabbed Kouros herself from my perfume wardrobe closet :D Huh, it smelled interesting on her - very herbacious, with a hint of sourness, but I wouldn't like her to smell like this. Unfortunatelly, she liked that smell :D But in the same time she admitted, that Kouros smells better on a man (she meant on me).

juan carlos.henriquez

lo siento tanto, TE ODIO KOUROS, huele a fecas pipi, grasa corpòral y pelos pubicos mesclados con un poco de miel e incienso, paso de aqui.

id
id

It is impressive, complex, dirty and versatile scent. It lasts long and sounds unisex on my skin. My nose tells me it could be a perfect gift for a man.

GIMP
GIMP

This was my first fragrance and will probably remain my favorite. Its sultry, flowery, woody, smokey, and very dirty. Looks like there is a lot of hate for this today. Sorry, fruity sugar herbs are not worth my time.

juan carlos.henriquez

ufff odio este olor mucho, para mi es el peor olor masculino que e olido, huele a orina mesclada con grasa corporal y tambien a zoologico donde abundan animales almiscleros en celo y con 10 toneladas de miel, es repugnante.
mi top five mas odiado.
-OPIO FOR MEN.
ASCO OLFATIVO.

Osmin
Osmin

Hyperbole and meiosis about an aroma of a supposedly beardless Greek statue, which, being launched in 1981, does not qualify anymore for this name, too old to be a Kouros. No matter how bad it smells on me, or how good it smells on someone else, it has the ability to stand alone in the midst of most current offerings; therefore it qualifies to be a classic. Although I haven’t got a trained nose, I did like it on paper, and on paper it stayed for three days; so it is very potent, but none of my acquaintances could endure to stay next to me for even three minutes. Good chemistry, is the only requirement for someone to be able to wear it, and nothing else. I do not discourage people to try it, try it however first, not just on paper.

jaml
jaml

I must admit that I love Kouros. it's strong and shows very masculinity. You have to have balls to wear it. I wear it a lot, and don't have any problem with that. Its a statement.

Jomoves
Jomoves

This was the first fragrance I purchased for myself in the early 80s. I even bought it duty free at an airport which at the time made it even more special. But by the 90s it seemed like I had outgrown it and and I stupidly threw out the remainder of the bottle. I felt it was time to move on, not realising that you never really move on from something (or someone) that you truly loved.

Fast forward to last year when I was contacted by my birth mother. Like me, she loves fragrance and I began to revisit the colognes of my youth to show her what I used to wear. I tried the newest reformulation of Kouros and could not believe how bad it was. I literally thought I was going to be sick. Where had that beautiful fragrance gone? Well, tonight I went into an old perfumery looking for something else and came upon a very old half used tester of vintage Kouros. I offered the lady money and bought it on the spot. The vintage formulation is as strong and enigmatic as I remember. So I'm back with my Mum, I'm back with my Dad and now I'm back with my Kouros as well!

Man, I am one lucky guy.

Kysyona
Kysyona

It is my DH's signature scent and this is a yes to the question whether I would buy it again. I cannot say I can wholeheartedly give it the highest rating, because it's a tad too linear to my nose and a bit nosehair-curling at the application. But it does settle into a nice dry white floral scent with a slight dash of just-out-of-the-freezer aquatics stirred into it, and i would say it's a good tonic to one's senses. I do not think it shines in colder months: it's razor sharp then and just doesn't peak because it lacks temperature for a full blossom. The staying power and silage deserve nothing but admiration. A great one from monsieur YSL - a reliable timeless classic.

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

King Kouros. One of my 1st buys in the 80's. I recently picked up the reformulated and it's still a powerhouse that I love to wear. Long live the king!

missan

I have an after shave of Kouros. It´s maybe 15 years old, or about that. I often wonder when I wear it, how can a person be so talented to come up with something so wonderful as this.

ruchitdave23
ruchitdave23

im gonna keep this review short ...
two words to describe this everlasting scent ....................luxurious.........classy.

limited Edition

This fragrance has been on the market for over 30 yrs and its still causing a storm.

When initially realeased the choice of sophisticated and elegant males fragrances were minimal..

Unless you can obtain the original formulation ,I would suggest you dont bother with the current version.

I really like this fragrance as it conjurs up many fond memories of my past..but I can also understand why some folk may not find it equally attractive

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Probably one of the most 'gendered' things I've ever smelled, but it's so overstated that the macho can be played with or otherwise gotten around. Mostly honeyed musk and leafy sage. Some say dog urine. I say it smells like the balls of God. As a female sort, I really like this as a layering agent for dirtying up anything pretty or amplifying anything rich. Just a very small drop of Kouros lends a subliminal animalism. Worn alone it's compulsively sniffable, but I can't wear it in public because I'll sniff myself too much or be mistaken for a Greek man or something. I could only imagine a totally non-sleazy man with a lot of composure pulling this off these days.

Marciu

The vintage Kouros is really a longevity MONSTER. It lasts on me about 17 hours. I hope the reformulated one isn't much weaker. The new bottle of this juice is a totally must have for me.

cell
cell

Tried this today at Boots. It wasn't that bad. Does not remind me of urinal cake or urine or whatever. Quite linear. It was kinda strong the first couple of minutes but as you go along, you are left with a pleasant floral woody scent. However, there's this odd note in the distance...yep, it's the civet. It's not strong enough to make Kouros stinky but just enough to give it character.

And one more thing:

If you don't know HOW to use it, better don't use it at all. I guess most of you possibly just overspray Kouros. I tell you, 5 sprays, even of reformulated one - I wouldn't dare. 3 sprays is absolutely maximum. I have a decant only, and I use 3 half-sprays. That's an optimal amount for me. Guess I wouldn't like to know how the person who oversprayed Kouros smells like, really. Seriously.

And once again I'm saying: I don't think Body Kouros is discontinued.

1welshdevil

To my horror I was given a bottle of this poisonous dog's urine. I really like powerhouse fragrances 'Antaeus, Obsession, Drakkar etc' but this is utterly disgusting, I literally have no idea what benefit anyone would have to spraying it on their skin. In a hope that they'd reformulated it I visited Debenhams and sprayed it on my arm, within 10 minutes I was desperately trying to scrape it off, gave me a huge headache and made me feel about 87 years old. Ebay here it comes. I agree with housebliss, Body was such a gorgeous scent. YSL what were you thinking!!!

Marciu

No, it's not a myth. It's still alive. And will be alive, it actually doesn't matter how much and how many people(like some here, no offence) hate it.

I absolutely deny that it smells like urine or scat. It's not true. Yes, the opening is simillar to dirty water closet, but not to pure urine, for sake!

And, I repeat, once again, if you cannot smell that this fragrance grows, evolves in time, you are probably having a nausea or something more serious... What I can obviously say, except the opening, it smells NICE and attracts women. Yes. At least on my skin.

And BTW, I don't think that Body Kouros is discontinued. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

NW_Nose
NW_Nose

This scent is pure Bravado. I think it is a unique fragrance. I enjoy the Oakmoss in this fragrance. Here's my caveat: Very Strong, Very Animalic.
(Does anyone else smell horse piss?!?!)

Use in moderation 1-2 sprays and NEVER in the office

daknee
daknee

I had the old school original scent, hated it at first and only used it few times but then the scent grew on me. When the bottle was over is when one female commented on it .

I must say it stand out above the rest! I wish I could get the original!

browne54

Okay, Vintage vs. Latest reformulation (L'oreal).

I didn't have a 1981 vintage bottle of Kouros but I did have a bottle of juice that was made prior to the first acknowledged reformulation in the early 2000s. I just purchased a new bottle of Kouros from Amazon. (Yes the bottle has also changed. Still same shape, but the silver ring lies only on the cap and not the shoulder and bottom and the font is also slightly different).

The juice: When Yves Saint Laurent died in 2009 the house was sold to L'oreal. The latest reformulation/bottle change of the juice occurred in mid 2010. The latest reformulation is dialed down quite a bit from what it used to be. The opening/top notes have certainly been held back; the citrus opening and especially the civet. It was the civet opening that I love about the original. It was the constant contrast between clean and soapy vs. dirty/animalic. The civet note is still there but it is not nearly as pronounced. However after around an hour the two smell almost identical to me but the original does seem a bit richer and pungent. I still detect the heavy incense/leather combo with a hint of honey mid/drydown in both juices.

So should I get the vintage or buy the current? I would absolutely buy the vintage or even prior to the latest reformulation if you can find/can afford it. A good rule of thumb would be to look for bottles that still have the silver metal lining on the shoulder/bottom of bottle. Again, I have not smelled the early eighties original but I can say L'oreal destroyed what Kouros was. The opening/first hour was so strong and wonderfully contrasted with the civet musk. However, especially by today's standards of what a man should smell like, this is still a wonderful fragrance. In the contemporary aqautic and light scented age Kouros continues to remain unique and controversial. If you have read up on Kouros and still think this is something for your tastes it is still worth it to buy the recent formulation in my opinion.

Recent formulation (Original 10/10):
Projection: 9/10
You will certainly get noticed. And if you have the masculine/mature personality to contribute in addition, take your place at the front of the pack because this scent demands respect. And you will get attention from women, but just the kind that like their men to smell like men.

lumberjack
lumberjack

Incredible. As you all well know that piece is definitely not for everyone. Hard and deadly masculine. Dont believe he's innocent white bottle. Monster inside. Whatever happens he deserves respect. Real respect because it's gotta be hard to create such scent like that. Shortly if you wear low hip jeans, Kouros makes you pull it up. Hope i could explain how it's deadly masculine. :)

wickedjester
wickedjester

when i first got this scent i liked it, i didnt love it but it wasn't bad. ive worn it 4 or 5 times since and now i love it every time i wore it i liked it a bit more. on my skin scents tend to have poor longevity and projection so i personally don't have to worry much about this scent being to strong, but i see how that could be a problem. to me its just basically what i always want to smell like, manly strong and classic

Huntre333
Huntre333

This is a fragrance that should really ever be worn 'sparingly' (as it's a highly concentrated/opaque fragrance) and in my opinion, it should really only be worn in VERY COOL weather conditions. Wearing Kouros in warm-to-hot temperatures is simply not a good idea.

Warmer temperatures tend to augment this fragrance (as well as many others of its vintage) to smell sour and very cloying. Even when used sparingly, the notes of this fragrance are just too full and heady for the heat.

Having prefaced that, this IS a very handsome, quality frangrance when worn with minimal application and in the right climactic conditions. If one does not consider the aforementioned, its monster projection and silage can easily overpower and offend anyone within 5 metres of you and with 8 to10 hours longevity.

I have worn this fragrance numerous times in the late autumn and winter season (with thoughtful consideration) and I have only ever received positive comments from people. It's a very likeable, masculine fragrance when worn carefully.

The key here is; "Less is More and the Cooler the Better."

This is a vintage masterpiece that demands and deserves Respect.

kitti90
kitti90

R Kelly's signature;)

sussex2
sussex2

I love how this fragrance still ellicits such strong reactions. A very polarising creation. I can respect and understand the views held at each end of the spectrum.

I felt that I had to reply to Hooper's comments as I had a Kouros related incident this morning after only my second public wearing.

I sat alongside a lady while wearing possibly one or two squirts too many of the fragrance in question. She immediately leant away from me and began wafting the scent with a pamphlet she had been reading. My first experience of an obvious reaction to a fragrance that I have been wearing. I have to admit that I quite enjoyed it.

I don't think its horses ass you are smelling but the excretions from the anal glands of the civet - or a chemical concoction created to mimic that scent.

I'm afraid that I like Kouros so much that I am willing to bear the whips and scorns of public reaction to get my hit.

jembigonjes
jembigonjes

At least after wear this >3 times properly someone will understand its magic. First time I tried I must had put it too much so it smelled disguisting. Just 2-3 thin spray at your chest, 1 spray for each wrist also behind the neck. drydown will be awesome..

Marciu

One of the things that I adore in it is that it smells different each time when I wear it. It sometimes smells like a man's body just after having sex(wild sex!) with woman. Sometimes it smells like a clean pure soap put on the toilet bowl. Both times women sniff me when I wear it!

Sex in the bottle, that's what it is!

antfarm
antfarm

Kouros smells bodily and alive, however, it doesn't smell like underarms or feet or anything unpleasant (at least not on me/to me).

It smells just like pre-worn clothes that have been in the hamper for a few days, or like a man who fell asleep in his day-clothes and woke up the next morning.

It can be a little bit sour and opaque at times, but it's always mature and sexy--a winner in my book.

vonMises
vonMises

A force of nature. It is as if three separate fragrances appear at various times, and in no particular order:

1) A stone wall, drenched with natural history
2) Archaic spices (like frankincense and myrrh)
3) Sweet flowers, citrus, and spice

At times comforting, then alternating cold and heartless. Nothing else is like it. A masterpiece. Always pleasant.

Marciu

Well, I know it very short period of time and I already fell in love with it...

Yes, it is a strange fragrance. Not for everybody. But it seems it mixes perfectly with my skin.

Yes, I feel quite a lot of civet in it, indeed. But I think it makes it more masculine, stronger.

I feel the civet during first 3 hours only. Then, it's becoming, as I said before, very masculine, clean fragrance with a hint of sweetness(honey, patchouli). I feel quite a lot of freshness too!

I wouldn't say you have to be an old man to wear it. No. You have to have type of personality, that Kouros fits to - brave, maybe a little arrogant, a kind of a leader.
I think I'm falling in love with it. Thank you Mr. Bourdon!

michaelb

having tried this on a couple of occasions i must say it has really grown on me! quite unique.

asheble93
asheble93

Kouros:

Back story:
After much internal debate, I decided to blind buy this scent.
As I opened the box the tension was splitting: would I love or hate it? I sprayed the first gentle billow on my wrist...and inhaled.
To be clear, it is NOTHING like any of the negative reviews have made it out to be, NOTHING. I have unfortunately, not been blessed to have the opportunity of smelling a deodorizing cake, or animal sweat, or whatever; but I imagine they could not smell as complex and unforgettable as this.

Scent:
It opens with a lot of leather and honey; with civet mixed right under the surface and some kind of citrus that gives it a certain sharpness.
It's middle is very aromatic, and floral. It is brought momentarily to the top with movement or a calm breeze.
The base is where, in my opinion, the animalism sets in: I smell musk, civet, and a smooth/rich amber.
9.5/10

Projection/Longevity:
I sprayed one spray on a card, and could smell it throughout the house; so yes, it projects.
I cannot speak to its longevity because I have only had it on for a few hours.
9.0/10

Overall:

A wonderful scent with a strong, clean, and raw personality.
9.25/10

deeply11
deeply11

This smell is absolutely abrasive.

Greg1965
Greg1965

Kouros came out in 1981 and I remember that round about that time I had it. At that time I realy like the scent. As far as I can remember, I only had one bottle. Maybe time to smell it again because it was, and probably is, a good scent still.

Mancorp
Mancorp

Kouros is not my favorite fragrance but I am appalled by some of the venomous reviews here. If you're offended by fragrances that diverge from the generic scent of your shampoo, then, not only Kouros, but a large proportion of the stellar products of the perfumer's art, are not for you. Stick with sporty deodorant.
Secondly, checking out a scent on a paper strip means you never get past the top notes and you're insufficiently informed to review it. Unless you've at least given it a few hours on your wrist, don't.
Thirdly, if you're idea of trying on a scent is to check with everybody you know whether they like it on you or not, you lack the confidence that is an integral part of making a fragrance work. Wearing a fragrance successfully requires a degree of arrogance whether you're man or woman. Timidity is the enemy of style.
Kouros doesn't smell anything like cat pee or urinal cakes. In its current formulation, it's even a little soapy on first application. On drydown, I get carnation and jasmine and only the merest hint of civet. But I suppose for people used to the olfactory equivalent of elevator music, even that faint note is jarring.

hadrian
hadrian

I can’t believe my eyes! On our beloved site, today, the number of people who dislike YSL’s Kouros is bigger than the number of those who love it or like it! Incredible!
Sorry to remind you that, folks, but – as Aristotle said it some times ago – democracy doesn’t necessarily signify quality… at least in terms of perfumes’ related sentences…
I beg to differ: Kouros is a perfect Top Ten fragrance for every mature man. Only a woman born on Mars (and, I’m afraid, who died on Saturn) will ignore such a scent on your skin.
I’m happy to be part of this minority – the marginal group of those (males and females) who know that simple truth: YSL’s Kouros is one of the best perfumes for men still available!
Overall, a 9+/10

Masoud.Neshat
Masoud.Neshat

Simply the best smell i can imagine! LOVELY.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

A friend of mine has an older formulation of this fragrance and it smelled wet and sexy on him. That scent tempted me big time to get a bottle for myself.
I was at a fragrance store with my friend yesterday and found the current formulation of it for sale at a very reasonable price and really had the urge to buy it then. Before I did so, my friend picked up the tester and spray some of the fragrance on a couple strips of mouilette for us to give a final test. That scent came out to be very different from what I smelled on my friend before. Across the isle then I heard an SA talking to her colleague and asked him what was that stinky smell. She commented that there must be one of those little kits around urinated somewhere. It was funny to hear the SA made that comment because that Kouros must have been there for a long time without anyone ever trying it at all; otherwise, she should have known that the urine smell came from the bottle. Now I'm thinking should I still go ahead to buy the newer Kouros or should I just beg my friend to share some from his bottle with me.

Post Note: I guess Kouros is really a love/hate kind of fragrance and same as other fragrances, it may also react differently on different people. I begged my friend to share his goody 90's version of Kuoros, that smelled most sexy and beautiful on him, and finally got 5mls of it from him. Last week I tried it on for an entire evening and honestly, it had to be me, it was not it. It smelled just as strong of urine as the one in the store before except it didn't have that sharp nose stinging sensation.

Since I have 5ml of this supposed to be good 'fragrance', I'll give it more tries and hopefully I'll be able to acquire the taste or learn to appreciate it and love it like all other die-hard Kouros fans. However, if the 5ml were gone and I still couldn't pull it off, then I just have to admit that it is not a fragrance for all, me counted. I can't care less how others rave about any fragrance if I find them smelling stinky on my skin as the sole purpose of my using of fragrance is to please my nose and spirit and no one else.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

I respect the people who like this, but for me this is just repulsive... Kouros has exactly the same smell as my office's restrooms. Way too vulgar, not a single woman gave me a positive feedback. The only point is that it is long lasting for sure, I had to wash my hands several times to get the smell off me.

Sorry, but they should have discontinued this one instead of M7 or Rive Gauche... Yuck.

bcire3k
bcire3k

As a person that likes sweet smelling fragrances, this is somehow sweet and simultaneously gross. What's funny is I've smelled this before, in public. It will be remembered, but not in your benefit. I would consider it infamous. I got comments right away after trying it. "what smells?" mostly. Tried to blame it on the car vents ha.

The smell I recall was not something I would have ever considered to be a cologne. I just thought the building vents had a buildup of mildew. Kind of nauseating. Now I know it was just someone invading my space. So it is kind of obnoxious.

Reading all these comments is just hilarious. The people that dislike it feel it is obnoxious and the people that do like it think everyone else is weak or needs to fix their olfactory bulb. Maybe there is some truth in these comments haha.

Anyway, please if you wear this cologne, tone it down. You may like it, but many others might not. Maybe our nostrils aren't mature, all I know is it provided my mom with a weezing fit and me with the desire to gag. Maybe I am just "weak" or "immature." haha

That said, don't rely on my judgment. Just try it out for yourself, you might come to love it. I see no middle ground here so go out and try it!

solbrasil
solbrasil

I havent sampled the reformulation...(when did that happened?) But I remember LOVING this perfum in the early 90s. I remember this scent making all men extremely sensual and attractive (I am a female). I guess I'll have to get a sample and if it is still the way I remember it, I must buy it for my hubby! :)

joezilla

You can't make Kouros without natural civet. The civet was it's heart and soul. I pity those noses that haven't smelled and enjoyed pre-reformulation Kouros.

tomerai
tomerai

My uncle has been wearing Kouros for as long as I can remember. Only I didn't know it was a fragrance, I just thought he naturally smelled that way.
But it suits him. He's a mature man with hairy forearms and a hairy chest who is dressed well and always calm an reassuring.
He is the unofficial head of the family who you go to when you need help and when he greets you with a smile and a hug and you smell the Kouros... it is just so comforting. He smells like THE man in the room.

WillRyanification
WillRyanification

I have no idea how I feel about this scent. On the one hand it smells human and comfortable and kinda like a grandfather, but on the other hand it smells like a men's urinal. I sprayed the paper tester a week ago and it's still overpowering my room, so maybe hold it far away from you when you spray? Or clean it up by layering with something? I dunno, I'm not an expert, all I know is that it does what it does perfectly, it just becomes overwhelming and kinda cloying much too quickly if you're wearing it.

missan

This is the kind of cologne that doesn´t need any reviews......

I mean it is what it is, a legend

kleblanc863
kleblanc863

Only certian men can pull this off. It really is that dividing. I could barely handle this one. I usually would have to wet my hands with water, spray ONCE into my palm and then apply to my neck. DONE.

This is overtly formal wear.

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

Indispensable para el aficionado a la perfumerìa. Realmente impactante, no precisamente bello ni agradable, pero una masterpiece en todo su sentido.

DoctorFaust
DoctorFaust

I have the reformulation, no idea on the original:

Sharp herbal opening with a distinctly harsh scent, a middle that is subjectively floral in a 70s pornstache kind of a sense that is reminiscent of urinal cake if you really think about it too hard (I would also agree with the ashy floral comments other people have on it); finally drying down to honeyed piss and incense you would use to cover up marijuana stank.

Interesting. I mean that unsarcastically. Heavily masculine. One bottle will probably last forever, but it is not only distinctly 80s but also has a perfect "old man" vibe to it.

Pretty much unwearable outside unless you're alone.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

I have a bottle from 2007-08 which is pre new re-formulation. It smelled weird to me at first as I, like others, had read the hype on the web and gave in and I found this bottle for $29 shipped. It has grown on me and is in my top 10 now. It is very complex. It is for mature audiences only and it quite possibly might have magical animalic aphrodisiacal qualities. First spray out of bottle as mentioned I was somewhat taken aback and disoriented. Takes more than one wear to judge.

krmarich

I just realized the tree is missing some notes.
The top is missing neroli-very important and obvious! There is also some fennel and anise, lending the "ouzo accord".

The base is missing sandalwood and the incense note-frankincense and myrrh. Otherwise the ancient temple accord is forgotten. I am pretty sure there is some castoreum here as well. Perhaps the civet should be forgotten, as it get so many complaints.

As far as the fecal note, I would say you wearers are practicing poor hygene after using the washroom if you detect this.

This is the quintessential powerhouse fragrance for men. Everything else was a rewrite. It is the ultimate "come hither" scent. Satyrs and gods need only wear it. Prudes and small endowed men should avoid it altogether. I think thats where the complaints come from.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I remember this from the 80s. Post-sex skank smell, it kind of works well on men on a wild night out if you're dancing and sweating a lot. Obviously not for work. And I think it's maybe a bit too loud and obvious for a more mature man. I must confess I quite like it but wouldn't want it around me all the time - it's not exactly a comfort scent!

Jama4
Jama4

Woman repellant in a bottle!!

Note: I am a female

My father owns this colone. It is too potent...even he doesn't like it. Smelling it is like being punched in the nose with a bag of cinnamon and wood.

Projection: 6 feet
Longevity 12 hrs+
Office safe: No too strong
Potency: HEAVY (1 or 2 sprays is enough)
Timing: Winter / Evenings

Disclaimer: my experience may be different from your experience based on the season, and my personal tastes

limited Edition

I was fortunate enough to have found an "original" bottle of Kouros at a discount store here in Melbourne.I applied the "original" on my wrist and then went next door to a large department store and applied the current version.

The current version lasted about 1hr to 2hrs before fadind..The "original' peaked after 2hrs, by that time the full Kouros fragrance was in full flight..I went for a swim at my local pool ,showered and could still detect the fragrance on my wrist 6hrs after spraying only twice..

I really wouldnt bother with the current Kouros..YSL in Melbourne were discounting at 50% of on Kouros..I doubt if it will be continued...The Civet made a significant differance

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

After reading the polarized reviews on this scent I looked forward to testing it - so test it I did at a giant perfume discounter alongside I-95 in North Carolina.

My wife was with me; neither of us got the cat urine/urine cake smell that is described for this. Or the industrial floor wax smell. So our first response was positive. I sprayed some on me and occasionally checked back with my wife as we shopped - "Still like it?" She nodded okay. But only okay, not "You have GOT to buy this."

The problem emerged during the remaining three hours of the trip in the car as the base notes began to get on my nerves. By the time we got home I quickly took off my shirt and scrubbed my neck. I could still smell it on me the following morning - this stuff has longevity.

But it isn't for me. My wife is neutral about it. I read somewhere that if you wear this in a restaurant you may be asked to leave. I totally don't get that.

-------

Second wearing: Holy cow! Now I get the urinal cake note. Ugh. No, no, no.

raiyanhasin
raiyanhasin

Seen comments on how this is 'what a man should smell like'.
If a man had been manly enough to ever go inside an urinal, he wouldn't have said so, because then he would've been able to draw a striking comparison between that half-cleaned urinal and Kouros; and I am very sure a man is not supposed to smell like urine unless he is without a home.
I know everyone has their own opinion, but for somethings, there are very clear rules. It is like asking 'Is smelling great a good thing or smelling dreadful a good thing?' - common sense.
I remember the first time I wanted to try this at a departmental store, the saleswoman literally pulled up a face that showed pure disgust and said very clearly 'You wouldn't like it sir.' I insisted that I try it on but then she downright said 'I do not want so spray it, sir, this makes me gag.' I made her spray it anyways and she pinched her nose right away and retreated to the far corner of the counter - all dignity forgotten. I was left standing there with a strong urge to throw up as the horrifying fumes crawled up my nose attacking every inch of my olfactory sense and threatened to knock me out like some form of chloroform.

I can't give you the note breakdown as I did not even try to dissect this...thing..that was in the air.

Just because it comes in a bottle that looks good carrying the Yves Saint Laurent name doesn't mean this has to be classified as a 'fragrance'.
A very old product that has miraculously survived several decades whereas good FRAGRANCES are discontinued.

If you have never smelt this and want to try it on yourself just to associate yourself with this alleged 'classic', just don't. Save yourself the money...buy something that would actually make you smell nice and not like a slob...afterall that is what something classified as a fragrance does. Right? Get yourself a 13 dollar Old Spice...and smell like a real gentleman will you?

Yan9
Yan9

I adore YSL Opium,Jazz & Rive gauche with this background I tried this monster.

After first spray, only smell struck me was civet I was waiting for top note to settle down and give way to other notes but no change for hours I felt that civet is sitting in pocket and annoying me with his secretions for hours. May be after 3-4 hours honey showed up for some time on civet background and did not go any further for hours.

This is very different fragrance from YSL with dominating civet note. I think Ted Lapidus PH has done a great job by eliminating civet note in similar type of fragrance.

With respect to YSL this projection and longevity monster is not for me.

CDGfan

Limited, Kouros still uses Civet in the form of Civetone, real Civet in fragrances was abandoned in the 90s. The original Kouros from 1981/82 did use real Civet. I still think Kouros is a pretty good fragrance, but I wish they would do a Kouros Extreme edition one day.

ma2afify
ma2afify

There are two kinds of fragrances in the world: Kouros and those who are not Kouros.

limited Edition

The original version contained Civet and Musk which made the fragrance very rich and fragrant..The current version has the synthetic copies making the fragrance composition seem artificial..I really like this fragrance but its so noticable which makes me feel awkward wearing it

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

I have been wearing this cologne since it's debut in 1981 and have not stopped wearing it sinc. I love the way it smells on me and it lasts a very long time. I get a lot of compliments every time I wear it, which is usually in the winter time. This cologne is truly a classic by YSL.

herreroph

Very animalic, smell like urine if you smell it closely.
dry down is excellent After 2 or 3 hrs, smells delicious on me
Longevity 10/10
Projection 10/10
Smell 9/10, is as pheromones for women
Total: 9.6

Little_L
Little_L

If you want to have a big 80s powerhouse fragrance on your bedside table, look no further, because you found what you're looking for. Having said that, also make room behind the antidepressiv medication in the bathroom because eventually Kouros will find it's way there.
Having done my homework on this fragrance i went to a local mall and tried it on. To my surprise, i double-checked it at another mall. Setting myself up for an adventurous sniff of the 80s glamour and style I just got disappointed. I can see who is wearing this now... All those men, stuck in their ways in the bathroom stall getting to know an acquaintance at a neon bar.
Hooray for private parties in public toilets!

marycon
marycon

A masterpiece to the trained nose! Enough said!

Labaloo
Labaloo

I was fortunate to find an unused 50ml bottle of the vintage formula on Ebay, so this review is for that original; I cringe to think what IFRA has done...

For sure, Kouros is one of the greats from the powerhouse era (I had friends who wore this in the 80's), and absolutely in opposition to the lighter, nearly-unisex masc frags of recent times. It has one of the most-distinctive, heavy, animalic and sexy bases- ever... which young folks today are simply not used to experiencing. I think of all the frags from this era, this would be one of the most-shocking. The citrus/herbal top is complex, and the mossy-floral heart even moreso: one could literally spend all day picking out notes as you glide down to the drydown... and at the end of the day, you are left with pure dripping lust.

snails
snails

pure fetishistic phantasms of all persons you have had sex since you've lost your virginity. perineum mixed with perspiration and the smell of raw, animalic, true, prosaic post coitum intercourse. a gentleman does not sweat. a gentleman perspires

faiz_hoshey
faiz_hoshey

just love it

freddinos
freddinos

A whole day after trying this on my wrist, and still have the feeling that my cat peed on me:( Very animalic scent, almost primitive male ferormones that scream their purpose. It is a perfume that sure does give a message. You either love or hate it, unfortunately my nose said the second

jht4060
jht4060

To me this smells like industrial floor wax visited by a tom cat. It is uniquely odd and maybe even interesting for the occasional olfactory adventure. It is not the musk or civet that is unpleasant to me (Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan has at least as much and it is wonderful); it is a massive overdose of short chain alkane aldehydes, which produces that nose-numbing floor wax smell that dominates for the first several hours. I would never wear this in a crowded public place.

42gr
42gr

This scent polarizes. You absolutely love it or hate it.
There is no in between.

My initial take was, smelt like urinal, moved down to an in your face soap, like someone tried to clean out the urinal. Yes and I agree takes genius to achieve this combo.

The base notes, after about 3 to 4 hours, half way between cat on heat and a musky animal. Around this time it's not too bad, but you have to go through murder to get here.

So this is one you don't not forget.

Update :
When I first tried K. I absolutely hated it. Now after 14 hours, having slept on it, its still around (a feat in itself) , I'm not so sure. And now smells good ! Go figure. What a journey, exhausting. So I can't say I hate this anymore. Would caution to use it sparingly.

CDGfan

Anyone who hates this fragrance, hates sexuality, because this fragrance is pure sexuality. Its refreshing and animalic at the same time and so sexy and romantic. It is not something I would wear daily, but Kouros puts all the YSL fragrances to shame, it is a true masterpiece and lasted well over 30 years.

Fimafeng

Having already left a review on this spellbinding juice I here go again as to emphasize the quality of the original product. I have half a bottle, 50 ml, since 1982 of the original mix after shave tonique. It is half because it lasts forever, or at least it lasts a lifetime. You just need a fingertip on your neck and the spell is on for more than a day. Kouros was sadly reformulated in 2002, switching coriander for mint. I have not needed to buy another bottle of this new formulation in order to try the quality. However I doubt it comes near to the original. A derivative, Kouros d´été 2006, is not even far. It is on another planet. I do like the notes of that mix but you can detect the many chemicals in the liquid. This makes you reluctant to use it on your skin, even more so after having read the ingredient list. It disturbs your relation and the confidence in the reformulated Kouros line although the reformulated Kouros edt is still within the acceptable toxicity range.
The original Kouros was very much a deep mystical experience of the natural wild. Almost transcendant. And it does not carry any chemical unwanted notes whatsoever.
So pick up the old juice on ebay before it disappears into oblivion.

thequietpoet
thequietpoet

Please! Can the divine order please stop trapping me in bank elevator towers - with old men who soak their pinstripe suits in this stuff? Yuck!!! Same sillage as Brut by Faberge... which as kids we used to call "Brutal". My advice is to stay away... if you get it as a gift, sell it on ebay for $55-65!

jusifragrance
jusifragrance

Lobby at the fancy hotel. Elevator bell rings. Handsome dark haired tall guy in a black suit steps out.

On the other side of the room, near to an exit door, a beautifull, classy looking woman sits on a sofa checking emails from her cellphone.

Suddently she gets a whif on something. She stands up. What is this and where it is coming from. She looks over her left shoulder and see this insanely handsome man.

They both stare each other and just when the man is passing her by and reaching the door, she crabs his hand and look up to him and say. Lets go.

This is Kouros...

truffles
truffles

I'm here because I tried a perfume recently and it had a strong element to it that I hated - looking at the notes, I wondered if it was vetiver.
It made me think of Kouros. Looking here, that does have vetiver too so maybe it's that as I find Kouros absolutely repulsive!
A long-ago boyfriend's brother had it and tbh, I'd run a mile from any man wearing it!
I don't find it a 'dirty' or 'animalic' smell in any way, I simply find it pungently horrible and just don't get the appeal!

darrshan77
darrshan77

Review of Darrshan

Not a fan of kouros but I get lots of compliments whenever I wear is perfume , so I continue to wear

Juancho410
Juancho410

MARAVILLOSA (WONDERFUL)
SUPER MASCULINA (TOP MASCULINE)
IN A WORLD FULL OF SWEET AND FRESH FRAGRANCES, KOUROS WINS FOR BEING DIFFERENT. KOUROS IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FRAGRANCES!!!

Teezam
Teezam

The most long lasting and highest silage perfume i had ever come across...

Picked this one on hype at a Dubai duty free(had picked along with Angel Men)- both were a suggestion from a friend that this one had great longitivity and silage + ppl love it

Compared to Angel Men this one lasts nearly twice as much and has a massive silage. Its got a odd pungent flower bazar type of odor mixed with the something bizzare (my colsest guess would be animal phermones)

But I hate it... its got an overwillming pungent oder that will made me scream- someone should suggest the CIA's & FBI's to try a varient of this. It's so annoying that I would prefer a mosqoutio repellant to Kourus...

Thought of sparying it for once to re-confirm the smell before writing this review. Quite frankly the thought of doing that made me feel disgusted tht i didn't do it.

BTW there was a time; I used to repel my neighbour (good friend)- by threatening to spray on him... he used to call it worse this to be worse than an animal repellant

mersilover84
mersilover84

bought it the other day and unfortunately i couldn't return it fast enough. not...quite...how i remember it. TOTALLY picked up on that urinal cake vibe. was it always like that? the hell was i thinking in my early twenties? LOL

Svennis
Svennis

Urine, nuff said. Definitely a no go for me. Maybe I'm simply too young, but I just don't understand the popularity of this juice.

markushhamann
markushhamann

This is one of my favorites. It is very bossy and powerful. For those who dislike the scent, it is a "I'm about to bash you in the face with fragrance." type of scent. I suppose you have to be or appear to be bold and large--physically or economically--to wear this scent.

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

@ LanceDior,

"goddesses will worship you as their alpha." Yeah, right, punkass.
Don't make me hit you with a rolled-up newspaper.

Tuberrose
Tuberrose

Love...love...love.....Kouros
Only real men can wear it!

kit1982
kit1982

Dirty Seduction. One must have confidence to wear this one. Kouros is very animalic and dirty. It blend well with sweat, because sweat acts as a diluting agent, creating a personalized blend of body odor and perfume.

I consider this as one of the boldest fragrances I own. This fragrance will definitely change your mood, it is like wearing a character, and you are the the mean, handsome 40+ playboy.

LanceDior
LanceDior

Aaaaaahhhh... Sweet kouros we meet again. This is a cologne not for simple earthly men; this is the cologne of gods and men with true substance. This is the cologne that will not catch ladies at bars for you, but it will draw the attention of goddesses who will worship you as their alpha. This is not for the faint hearted: wearing this will tempt fate and will stand out as the smell of a true man in a world where 40 year old men wear joop and acqua di gio and le male. Dare to be bold with this, the ultimate power frag.

virajrvyas
virajrvyas

In the age of 1Million, Le MAle, Black XS L'Exces, it is dated, but its lovely. This is like a wild stallion sort of a scent. If you are manly man, you know, the stubble, rugged type, this will be your clean scent. I genuinely feel this is a winner for me from the house of YSl despite the shit reviews people have given it.

Go out try it, most won't like it, but the ones who do, buy it. I have gotten a few compliments, I was told that I smell of sex. :P

The drawback of this scent is that it is not versatile. I'd say a cool summer night or winter nights. If you going to have someone very intimate, I totally advise against it but let this dry for 6-7 hours and this stuff will make her weak in the knees.

Less is more with Kouros as it is a powerhouse IMO. Please don't hate this baby, it is very unique since many people hate it.

edward2000
edward2000

KOUROS 4EVER.

reinhard5490
reinhard5490

Do you want your perfume to stays long and can be smelled by anyone that you met that day? a perfume that would make you feel invincible? this is what you want. if you're strong enough to hold its persona

Yes, Kouros have its own lively persona. animalic, strong and full of character. You don't wear Kouros, since Kouros will wear you. It will drive your emotion, giving certain sense of masculinity into the limit previously unknown. not a scent that you would love, nothing sweet or spicy here. pure animalic civet and slight leathery honey to make you feel like Tarzan in the modern world

there's a sense of animalic masculinity in every men. we need certain things to trigger its up. some men goes to the gym to build up their muscles, some work in military and some wear Kouros. the scent is too masculine, its so strong that drive yourself wild. you can feel the heat that caused by this beast, a heat that almost as strong as instinct of animal. a sense of power and confidence together with courage to show yours into other men

this fragrance isnt build for those who want to impress girls or other people (the drydown smelt like armpit, really) this magnificent perfume drives your instinct and emotion wild to break the limits

jude1321

Sadly, this stuff is somewhat dated because the market is saturated with crappy, wimpy scents, where Kouros, Antaeus, and Third Man are no longer mainstream. Kouros is as manly as manly can get and lasts forever. To me, this is what a gentleman should smell like. Long live the timeless classics of the 1980s. Trust me, your day will come again. I have never been mainstream and will continue to wear these titans of colognes.

stayclose
stayclose

There is civet in this for sure but its blends in so well with the rest of the notes that it dose not bother me at all. Its actually a sharp fresh fragrance not citrus but herbal, it has a 80s feelto for sure but the sweetenes keeps me from ruling it out as unwearbel and outdated. Id say it would suit a older gent best but youcan wear this for sure with a nice suit. I had smelled this a long time ago and thought that it was way pass what I usually like but now I can appreciate it as a fine fragrance for anyone who likes them.

nikthegrek
nikthegrek

nice to see people in 2012 discovering and loving this masterpiece!!!

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

You have to be SUPER CLEAN to wear this DIRTY SCENT.

Otherwise, Kouros will easily "own" you body, instead of you wearing the fragrance.

It's a masterpiece for those who can appreciate it, or in better words, "who knows how to wear it."

Afterall, No. 5 by Pollock is not for everybody, anyway. Don't get me wrong, cos it's just an analogy.

But you gotta give credit to Kouros. We obviously need something dirty among all the sugar and caffeine in the perfumery world. If you're sick of them candies, Kouros is your cure to Diabetes.

Speaking of, they paint it all-white for a reason.

-Mr. Almond-

Vastalux
Vastalux

Very disgusting. Smell like construction worker armpit without deodorant or something like cow’s ass. Sorry totally not for me.

ilprezzo

This is the only Fragrance that would make me move away from the Person wearing it!
Could never stand it.

thaiarmy
thaiarmy

Classic fragrance Love it! <3

kavi
kavi

Sorry to all you fans of this powerhouse, much respect to anyone who can pull this off, but, I can't do it. Feels like I took a urinal cake from a men's toilet and rubbed it on a sweaty man and then proceeded to rub it on me. All developments of this fragrance were the worst I've ever smelled.

I mean directly below. Sorry

DJM

I posted directly above this one as guest. The dry down on this is what I love most of all. Even the opening notes do not last forever and are something that I can more then put up with. After several hours on me, I get a nice honey, musk, slightly floral, incense background going on that outlasts just about anyting in my entire collection. Everyone is different as far as how it reacts on your skin, but after just recently re discovering this, I am glad that it has the same qualities that I LOVED about it 25 yrs ago. If the box th full size came in is a light gray color and not the original blue color, it is no doubt one of the most recent reformulations. I have smelled that one, and will agree that it is not the same juice at all. Not even in the same ballpark. I just can't get enough of this, and love the way it smells on my clothes, and I frequently catch myself whiffing my wrists during the coarse of the day.

The bottle you got at target today, is most definitely a reformulation of Kouros. The only places you can find the original, or one of the BETTER reformulations before the masacred it, is places like ebay Even then you have to ask if it has the plastic or metal pieces on the bottom and also having the eau de toliet directly under Kouros is an older bottle. It could still be a reformulation, but as I said it is one of the better ones when this cologne still had "Nads". I have been wearing this to work the entire week so far, and nothing but positive compliments for me. Even those that are much younger then myself have been asking what it is, and where they can get it. It is definitely a haunting fragrance. Even if you dont like it 100% you have to admit there is definitely something interesting going on, as this smells like Nothing else you will ever own.

jaimex1979
jaimex1979

MVHOOPER...I think your full bottle is a reformulation... To my nose KOUROS is a bit urinous, ant that's what makes it so unique... and the flowers come after this hissy pissy note... LOVE IT

summerjet
summerjet

I used Kouros when I went on holiday to Ibiza in 1987. It's all that I can remember about the holiday. It overpowered everything as I, typically for a young man, splashed it on too liberally. It's a love it or hate it scent and most people I met hated it. Even I hated it. But it was a big seller then and I was seduced by the hype.
Kouros has a particular smell; masculine, soapy (carbolic or camphor or something similar). No sweetness or fruitiness. No trace of spice. There are obscure floral elements, but not enough to disguise the overwhelming suggestion of industrial cleaner. Yep! It smells of a gents toilet.
But I could not shrug it off. I developed fond memories of it. But I was not brave enough to buy another bottle. The smell lingered in my nasal passage 25 years on.
However, I did buy a bottle of Givenchy Pour Homme as a slight nod. The Givenchy shares the essence of Kouros but has way more subtlety and depth.
Oddly, somebody gave me a bottle of Kouros last year. It smelled exactly as I remembered. However, now I find myself attracted to it and if I am feeling nostalgic then I will dab some on; much to the annoyance to those around me. A naughty fragrance for a naughty boy.
Be warned, it is an attention seeker with not quite enough charm. But once smelled, never forgotten.

bleuciel
bleuciel

Oh, my, what a migraine/sinus/coughing inducer. It's not that it smells 'bad', it's just that it instantly gives me discomfort. To say the least. The tiniest spritz and the whole room is invaded by the scent. Which lingers foreverrrrrr! Really made me hold my breath.

I absolutely forbade my bf to ever wear it in my presence, I would vomit if I smelled it daily. Fortunately, he enjoys other perfumes that don't kill me (literally).

Too strong. Too chemical. Too synthetic. Too much.

DJM

I too love this, and have been wearing it off and on for a long time. When I finished my old bottle, I didn't replace it for a long time, until most recently. I had to stop and ask myself "Why did I stop wearing this in the first place"? as this was always one of my few "Go to" scents. Always drew compliments from this no matter where I was. Very recently ordered a few small splash bottles of this and will be very excited later today when they arrive as this is the "Original" juice before it had been reformulated. Personally with this scent, and only this scent, I like the splash a little more then the spray, as I can control it better, and use it very sparingly. Also I don't have to work today, so this will be a dry run on how to prepare myself and possibly other peoples noses that I work with, in the event I receive dirty looks in the office. Like most others have said, in moderation, this is one excellent scent. To me, I don't care how dated one might think this is. I can honestly say this is one that smells like no other, and takes on it's own unique personality. Everything out there today smells like something else that I already own. After all, how many different colors and fragrences etc can someone formulate and have it smell totally different? Wore this at 20 and loved it, and I am sure at 49 it's not going to be any different. I am also one who believes there is no age gap or group, or any set rules on what someone chooses to wear. If you like it, that is all that matters. For not owning this again until recently, this is one where the smell is never forgotten. Now I have to work on hoarding as many bottles of this juice as I possibly can. Great scent. Can't imagine living in a world without "Kouros" The great and powerful does not only apply to OZ anymore

Kittycat63

Hollycat ... it seems you and I agree on several things, i.e. that a) Kouros stinks and is NOT sexy, and b) that sticking your tongue in a guy's ear is often a bad idea and is also NOT sexy!! Good advice girls (and guys, particularly those who are contemplating purchasing a bottle of the dreaded Kouros!).

hollycat
hollycat

As the reviewer below me stated so perfectly, this scent is not a chic magnet imo. I sprayed some on my hand at my local perfumery because I love musky perfumes and wanted so badly to see what all the fuss was about concerning the filthyness some folks speak of. Honestly the first thing that comes to my mind when smelling this perfume is dirty waxy ears. Basically ear wax. OK I admit it, Ive smelled every bodily secretion in my lifetime including ear wax. Its got this bitter undescribable scent that has to be experienced to understand. Yes I have shoved my tongue in a guys ear once. I wont be doing that again.

alonzo.schönewald
alonzo.schönewald

This thing smells like a cow's ass, i never liked it...never.

Ale
Ale

This fragrance is mentioned during the last film by Roman Polanski ,"Carnage ".

orestes

Refolmulated but remains one of the best male fragrances ever! Ps i don't understand why this excellent fragrance refolmulated...... really,i don't.

Fimafeng

The scent is basically Sex in a perfume.
Like all body fluids they may turn you on or not.
They could scare you away or exalt you.
Just like passion.
For me original Kouros after shave is passion.
And I am lost in it.
But as we all know, passion is not for the fainthearted.
The Edt is a bit too sweet however.
The After shave is undisturbed by sweet cuddling.

Ganz77
Ganz77

I am one of those guys who just hates it. I can see there is a market for it but to me it smells like those yellow cubes in the mens toilets. Kouros Body on the other hand is my favourite winter fragrance strangely.

yusuf.bardien
yusuf.bardien

Kouros is more of an experience than anything else. I think it really scratches at that primal instict innate in all of us.This juice is DISTURBINGLY GOOD!

hermine

I am one of those people who could be a drug-sniffing dog; I have an incredibly keen sense of smell, when it comes to detecting "things". This seems to have nothing to do with taste in perfumes, and I do not mean to imply that it does. I am AMAZED at the way so many different people perceive a scent as reminding them of, say, urine, sweat, rancid gym shorts and the like, since I can detect if my husband has thrown things into the washing machine and let them sit for a few hours, the moment I open the door to our home. I also am amazed that scents have evolved so that some are for men and some are for women since it did not start out like this. So I am a woman who wears as a first choice, Apres L'ondee, a scent which is almost invisible in its transparency, and also Kouros and Yatagan. Ain't nature wonderful?

hermine

I LOVE Kouros and my husband loves the way it wears and smells on me. my husband knows scent. years before we met he bought some Joy De Patou parfum in Paris for THE GIRL HE WAS GOING TO MARRY and gave it to me, many years ago. I know Kouros like Yatagan got some awful reviews, some of them by famous noses, but I do love it and am shopping for some since I ran out. The worst thing possible in perfume.

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

This is a very strong and controversial scent. This is very old school, dated in the early 1980's, alien to what people are wearing now.

I liked the opening, but the drydown was less impressive. In the end, I think this is a good scent, but it's not for me.

This is a smoky floral scent, redolent of a beautiful volcanic island. Some people who criticize this will liken it to urine, feces, sweat and a urinal cake. Sometimes, I do draw these associations, to be honest, however, most of the time I don't.

While I appreciate it as a work of art, I (for the consideration of the people I am with) don't see it fit for any public occasion.

This is for the serious collectors to try, but for the average person looking for an agreeable compliment-getter, this is not for you.

williamvargas
williamvargas

when it first came out , i had heard about it , there was a guy i worked with who was wearing it to a company xmas party, i remember i was wearing my standard paco robanne ...i noticed his colonge and he had doused himself pretty good with it, so it was a very strong presence ...as i was standing there with my wife and after he walked away to mingle with others i asked, so what do you think of the fragrance? and she said, he smells like he has been sweating alot and just peed his pants.. i will never forget it and that was her intial impression, i was undecided if i liked it or not, i found it interesting and i think guys like their own musky type of smells....amazingly that is what i got ..so i did purchase some probably a year or so later....but i never really used it very much, maybe women would like that on some guys but i would bet the man who wears it better be desireable to begin with if not my thought would be repulsed..but i may be too cruel on that,.it is unique though and it is worth a sniff...maybe i needed to give it more time..sometimes i liked it sometimes i just wasn't in the right mood for..i do think it would take some time though..

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Creamy, musky cement. Fantastic and hard to ignore.

RAG1987
RAG1987

This is a nice enough fragrance although it possibly is a little bit too mature for a guy in his mid 20's I like proper men's fragrances but this is just a little bit too far into the man in his 40's side of the court. I like the smell just not on me. I do not understand the condemnation this recieves from reviewers saying it smels of semen, urinal cakes and sweat etc. I smelt none of those things and I have a picky nose that notices those things if they are quite apparent i.e. A friend of mine recently tried Thierry Mugler Amen and I was positive I could smell a boiled eggy smell from that so I guess it is dependant on each nose. Upon looking through various sites and blogs and seeing reviews about Kouros I can assume that this is only the American's that can smell all of the above in Kouros, their urinals must smell pretty unusual over there as our urinal cakes smell of crisp lemon citrus or pine etc. Nothing in resemblance to Kouros. C'mon this fragrance has been going strong since 81.... 6 years before I was born so quite clearly it cannot be that bad if it is still in production and still YSL's biggest selling fragrance!

mashur
mashur

Very masculine fragrance! My wife loves it! My sister-in-law also liked it. Its very strong and long lasting. Sexy Classic!

piapedersen
piapedersen

This scent IS the 80es! Every guy I met wore it with pride and I loved it - and still do, as a matter of fact. Today, I prefere other male perfumes but whenever I notice the scent in the air I instantly wear huge plastic earrings, assymetric sweaters and my hear grows into a giant, curly mass, smelling of several hair products... Oh, walking down memory lane, holding hands with Nik Kershaw ;O)

necromancer
necromancer

Yves Saint Laurent Kouros EDT

I don't get people who says that this perfume smells like urinal and piss. Where have your nose been all this time? This stuff is amazing, simply outstanding. It's all man, godly and pure from the initial notes till the heart notes. Potent, masculine, naughty and even elegant; all engraved in that beautiful bottle. A real classic, and a GREAT scent, not like nowadays with water scents and 80 % alcohol.

You want to feel empowered, elegant and without any fear? Grab it while you still can!

fishmerised
fishmerised

My husband's fav but he rarely wears scent so his bottle is from the 80's or 90's. Maybe that's why I hate it so much, all I get is sharp, sour citus and some spice. I might test a fresh sample and see if there is a difference.

edit: uh oh, it's the aldehydes, no hope for me I'm afraid.

Dark Chocolate/Leather/Incense Masterpiece!
I get Leather, Civet, Honey & Cinnamon as a beautiful incense chord off the top. The opening is the epitome of clean!

Leather incense is the overall vibe with this one.

For Men.

Zenith
Zenith

Read the previous comments and see just how divisive this is, so I won't contribute anything else for the 100th time.

If you are ultra masculine, or are married to someone who likes that sort of thing this could work for you, but it is so strong that for us with mere mortal noses find it a bit offputting.

Personally, I don't like this one at all, far too harsh and strong, but at least give it a try, it is obviously the love of many

Migalex

I do like this perfume very much, and always have, find it extremely pleasant, one of the best, if not the best male scent. But sometimes I find it hard to stand it when I wear it, it sort of chokes and depresses me, and I do not know why because I do like and am used to very strong perfumes and much stronger than Kouros.I do like the animalic mixture of civet and leather and the sweetness of honey. I think what depresses me is the toilet smell or, more nicely put, and not nearly as depressing, men dirty underwear. I find the opening and heart stage much more interesting than the drydown, which for me is when it loses its character. Anyway, I think it is a very good perfume, and must be appreciated by lots of people, because apparently it keeps being produced and selling. Silage is great. I do not find it very similar to Lapidus, which is less sweet, more floral, and much stronger. I do find it closer to the original Salvador Dali pour homme, mostly the drydown, which is very very similar, but the opening and heart stages are less similar. Overall Kouros is one of the few male perfumes I really like.

missan

The problems with Kouros is that loving it is mostly an acquired taste IMHO, therefore if we haven´t accomplished that acquired taste it´s meaningless to review it.

Behnisch
Behnisch

It reminds me of my childhood. My grandfather had a cologne that smelled similar to this one. He used to take me downtown to see the city, to watch the people and go to the mall while we listened to Bee Gees and music from the 70's. I'm 19 now and we don't do that anymore. This fragrance reminds me of those times that I love and will always remember.
This one's a nice fragrance, smells good to me. Maybe because it reminds me of my childhood but I know that plenty of people hate it. Well, it's because it's very animalic and strong. I think I'd never wear it because I'm too young. This'd go perfect for a man older than 50. I know this one might scare the ladies if you wear it on a date and you're a guy under 30.
I like it but can be a little bit annoying. It's definitely a hate or love fragrance.

celestialstar19
celestialstar19

This fragrance reminds me of a dirty old man in a bottle. A musky civet that is fighting with incense and and it's a very harsh metallic patchouli. I do not smell any flowers on this? I think this is the worst YSL, and among the worst fragrances I have ever smelled in my life! If you like YSL I recommend Opium for men, and YSL Homme, both are much sexier, and I think are more man magnet than this.

spartan
spartan

Dirty Bad boy scent. I spray this on when I am Hunting with the pack, it sets me apart from the rest. Alpha male scent that women can't resist and men know their lower position in the pack when near you.

narainnaveen
narainnaveen

I would say this is a very beautiful scent. To me it has kind of a strong incense smell. I recommend this to men in their 40's and up. Also smokers can do well with this fragrance.

Projection and longevity are great. I get 24+ hours with this.

brogly
brogly

Kouros is SEX in a bottle. Beautiful. Very Masculine.

tri3pod
tri3pod

In the 80s, Pierre Bourdon created Angel & Demon. First he created demonic scent called KOUROS for YSL then 7 years later he created the angelic scent called Cool water for Davidoff.

I confess, I'm an Angel and I wanna be a human, - that's why my nose need a lot of demonic scent KOUROS, so my angelic & demonic soul get balance and I can be a real Human.

As a human I'm quite happy because KOUROS hasn't been reformulated so much. I only knew that KOUROS was reformulated once in 2002 with wild mint replacing the coriander but still with the rosemary, the leather notes and the cloves, oak and the oak moss. The bottle designed by Alain de Morgues has never been changed since the 80s - still in a white minimalistic shape.

I'm happy with the Demonic scent... so never ever discontinued KOUROS!

RobbieX

A love or hate one this! I love it. Strong, lasts a long time, a unique smell - at its best when you smell a "waft" of this on the air rather than a direct smell on the skin. In my opinion it's a woody oriental but it's great stuff - watch out you don't overdo it! Smells fantastic on your clothes after 24 hours! One of the most masculine fragrances in the world is the one and only KOUROS.

MarkStar
MarkStar

A work of genius!

Deliciously dirty yet crisp and clean at the same time.

May I never be without it...

misterjohn
misterjohn

Despite advice to the contrary, I was so intrigued by Kouros that I blind bought it when I stumbled on a good price. At first, I lay in between the love and hate camp. The fragrance was definitely weird and unlike anything I had seen before. I thought the scent was interesting, but definitely not a love.

It was not a hate either. In fact, I was anticipating cat pee and all sorts of other nastiness. I didn't get any of that. It just smelled soapy more than anything else.

These intriguing experiences are, I find, one of the best parts of enjoying fragrances. Some fragrances do not reveal all their mysteries on the first wearing. They require patience to get to know them, to get to judge their quirks and eccentricities. Kouros was definitely like that.

The more I got to know the fragrance, the more I liked it. I would look forward to putting the scent on and trying to discover some more secrets, more about the amazing evolution of the accords.

After several months, I am now in the love camp. This is a fragrance that requires commitment on the part of the user. Commitment to peek into the delicacy and subtlety of its evolutions. Commitment to put up with its unusual and sometimes odd opening. But as with any true love, this commitment pays off. The scent is timeless: it's barber shop and avant garde; it's powerful and subtle.

Great scent. Well worth gettiing to know...and love.

Acqua Di Gio 333
Acqua Di Gio 333

Even if it is appreciated somewhere in the world, it doesn't seem to be like this in Estonia. Women seem to dislike or even hate it - one shop assistant here said it is too heavy, one of my best friends hates it, another shop assistant said it's terrible, another friend thinks it's disgusting.

I would already offend at least 2 of my good female friends, which is a really bad sign! Even my good male friend who mostly finds fragrances good smelling thinks it's only 4 out of 10 for him, and the least pleasant fragrance as well.

One day I put 4 sprays on my clothes to test it and see how people react - my mother said fragrances I own are better, and it seemed it stays forever on my jacket :S Scent stayed there for more than a week, and got really disturbing, though I even kinda liked it on the day when I put it on.

For now I find Kouros to be one of the most offensive, disturbing and bad scents. It reminds me of urinal cakes and pretty bad soaps. Soapy, too heavy, sharp, overpowering, disturbing! AVOID !!!

waine
waine

Kouros - You either love it or hate it!

A thirty year old powerful, “in your face”, “pick me, pick me, I want to be smelled” scent.

This may be subjective , but this is a very “eighties” trademark smell. A “been there, done that” cologne which I will not purchase again.

I cannot detect any fine, distinct notes. Instead it is an explosion of sweet, musky, civet that stays trapped under my nose, all over my body, in my clothes, in my car, in my cupboard and on my cat for too many hours.

If you are presented with a bottle (which, to me is the only attractive thing about this cologne) then use it sparingly, with a capital S. Everyone around you will smell it. It is by no means unpleasant to all as its 30 year life span seems to have stood the test of time. Back then I did get a few positive remarks but only when I used one or two tiny squirts.

The only positives are; It has survived the fragrance test of time, the sillage and longevity are excellent, and it ooses power. Ironically, something I am looking for in an EDT. However this is not the power house for me.

I give this lemon, musky nuclear bomb a subjective 2.2/5.

ABRAG
ABRAG

Excellent romantic classic perfume

Stately

Last for a long period on clothing

My father likes it repeat purchase

I would recommend him

ericrico
ericrico

A truly polarizing scent. I have had Kouros (Vintage) in a 50ml Spray bottle for a while (I got a bottle from a fantastic seller that was still in original shrink-wrap) and opened it recently and know after trying it in the 90's to apply light - just one nice spray on the neck and one to the wrists, rubbed together (cold weather). Warm weather - it is one to the chest and let it resonate. The bottle is definitely vintage and there is a noticeable difference to me between old and new formulations. The barbershop vibe with the aldehydes, citrus, white florals, smooth honey, great spices, musk and pronounced civet with smooth amber, rich oakmoss, and rich leather with beautiful incense in the base is very different from the powdery talc infused with some of the original notes in the current. Everything is dialed down. I find the latest reformulation to be a fair scent, but it should not be called, Kouros. When Yves Saint Laurent passed away, L'Oreal bought the brand. It is a ghost of its former self...

For the Vintage bottle I have, I stored this away as my preference is to wear this in cool mornings/warm afternoons optimally (Spring & Fall). As a rather natural-smelling animalic, musk-driven smell - I find that initial application is rather loud (so it can cut through the cool spring/fall morning air), but warm up on the body during the afternoon. By evening, it is present, but a nice light smell. Attire is important too - while a lot of people here focus on the barbershop aspect, I see it as a gentlemen's cologne. The connection to a urine cake could be there to some, but only if overapplied and someone's skin is not clean. I've never had that association on my skin - and skin chemistry with Kouros is very important. A proper application of a 1-2 light sprays while wearing a pressed white button shirt with a pair of nice wool trousers is apropos. Clean-shaven, not necessary, but definitely preferred. A neutral after-shave balm would be important here with a light spray to the neck (perhaps even back of neck, so it is not overpowering) and one to the wrists or body underneath.

Not for everyone - I think we all realize that, but a scent that transcends time. YSL created something that is not for today's generation, because it is 30+ years old. A simple reference - are you as old as the fragrance (born in 1981 or earlier)? If you are, then this may have a place in your wardrobe. Younger generation fragrance lovers can appreciate this, but know that you are buying something that will not blend in the wash of aquatics and unisex, watered-down/mass-marketed stuff.

I love some reviews here - including ones that are against this (Crestfallen shows why this is NOT for everyone, including younger generation and the negative bathroom association) while LSDnSideBurns just made me realize "how" this scent can be so blown out of proportion. Great review, man! Love the humor and the notes are all there.

Personally, I "Like" Kouros and respect it - a lot. However, I have to be in the mood to wear it. It is a benchmark scent. A masterpiece. YSL created something that is remarkably good (in the original formulation) and for those who can appreciate it - it truly is the essence of masculinity captured in a beautiful white pillar. I love vintage fragrances and this is one that I seldom reach for as I typically don't wear formal attire. That said, I respect it for what it is. It is Kouros. Love it or hate it for most, while I like it - a lot.

For when I want to present myself as dapper, but with a sense of raw masculinity brooding inside...cheerio. ;-)

**Update** - I wanted to finish this review late into the dry down phase for me (again, just one shot rubbed together on the wrists in cool weather) approximately 5 hours from spray. This really came together nicely and is now a slightly musky, warm skin scent - smooth from the leather, amber and a nice touch of moss in the finish. Little projection, but the nice clean laundry smell is there...civet has long faded along with the citrus, florals and honey. A smooth wearing that exemplifies Kouros.

So, a question persists - "Is this perhaps the most over-analyzed fragrance that exists in the history of male fragrance?" Never a bathroom vibe for me or urinal. Civet is one of the most misunderstood notes that people run from (due to lack of knowledge). The scent is similar to musk, but has a more smoky, sweaty aroma. It is an excellent fixative, and used in many top-quality perfumes for decades...

Fonna
Fonna

Guys, let me give you a woman's advice if you want to attract one.
If you're going to wear Kopuros, please, go easy!!
My ex use to wear this, but that wasn't the reason for the break up, don't worry. lol
Indeed, he wore it when we met, but he wore it lightly.

This was his all time favorite. It doesn't smell too bad if you use it lightly...lightly is the key word here, guys.
One year he recieved a big bottle of it. Wore it constantly in heavy doses after that.
The scent was in the laundry, on the family dog, the kids.....ME!! I could even TASTE it in my food.

I had spoke to him about it. He stopped using it for a week.But the house was infused with it already....it was , alas, too late.

I must say, "animalic" is the best way to put the scent that comes forth in this. I got so annoyed with not being able to smell anything but Kouros that I 'accidentally' dropped the bottle in the toilet.:)

So I do not really like this fragrance from my own personal experience.

MrMookie

They share maybe a few notes (like many frags do btw)
but thats like comparing the colors green and purple as equals
They both have an ammount of blue inside but the final mixture goes another direction
mode on
Yellow and blue makes green
red and blue makes purple ( hah! Im sorry if i offended some ones intelligence here)
Ahum mode off*

And your right about the pissy fecal stuff its not as prominent as in other niche brand perfumes

Kharnak

well MrMookie Kouros & Lapidus both has Aldehydic Honey in their dry downs. But they get there in a different way.
YSL Kouros, makes everything Better! It is the A1 Steak Sauce of men's frags.
i layer the tinyest dab on top of anything, and it brings it to glowing life.

My most recently reviewed Brent Leonesio's #8, makes Kouros seem quite clean by comparison. They blend so well. So let's quit with calling Kouros fecal and pissy. It's mostly Aldehydic Clove, incense, and Honey & Civet grease.
Also blending suggestions: Dana Tabu, English Leather, Azzaro Homme, Chanel Antaeus. It has this way of Hyper Masculinizing everything. That sweet rich rich, "special something" in the dry down that perks my mood... Always.

MrMookie

Who ever voted that this smells like Lapidus pour homme is terribly wrong! they are not even alike! they are both powerhouse frags in the same time frame but thats the only thing they share alike..
I hope nobody will buy it because of this...

OK now about the juice, I can be short and brief because many people before me here told great stuff about this potion.
I think Kouros is Unique,fresh,deep and mysterious oh did i say unique?? but i realllly loved the vintage before reformulation Kouros.
The new one is toned down but still is a great scent.
STATEMENT FRAG AND GETS YOU NOTICED IN CROWDS
--all time classic,period--

karthiktas
karthiktas

Monster Projection with Monster Longevity & its a master of all perfumes, What a Fragrance. This smells great. Wow really superb. Just 2 sprays starts the magic. The smell travels miles. If u wear it & walk in a crowded place, People will turn their heads to see where the smell comes from. You will be noticed in the crowed & u will get lots of compliments. Best for day time. But some feels this is for men around 40"s. But never mind, it really rocks. CAUTION: Dont Over Apply. Just 2 sprays will do wonders. I have never seen any other perfume this much Projection. I LOVE IT. TRY IT, One must own it in their collection. LONGEVITY: 10, PROJECTION: 10, I Give 10/10. What a perfume aha!

cinsot
cinsot

This libidinous masterpiece is worn by one of the security guards at my workplace. I love it when he is rostered on.

My imagination runs riot when I get a whiff of "Barry", seedy elevator music starts to play in my head, Barry strips down to his gun... you can guess the rest.

Guttural moaning guaranteed. Wouldn't it be fun if Kouros came with a warning label?!

krmarich

My final bottle of vintage Kouros arrived today. Its a 1.6 oz splash. The price was worth it. The splash is the best way to control its power. The aldehydes are hushed. Just a drop is all it takes. This box came from the 1980s with the silver foil. The bottle reminds me of solid marble. It feels so clean and powerful in my hands. It is still radiant and warm. Now the magic begins...

I am forever 20, young and in style. Its 1984 every sniff I take! "When Doves Cry" was new on the radio, Ghostbusters in theaters, my hair was ratted high with mousse, long trenchcoats and elf boots were in style. I was a freshman in college. The world seemed so easy to conquer. Kouros was carefully tucked in my bookbag and worn liberally. I was the only man on campus to sport this fragrance. It helped boost my self esteem as everyone focused attention on me as I entered a classroom.

YSL had created "me" with this classic bottle of luxury. Sure, others would follow-Paco Rabanne PH, Drakkar Noir, Lagerfeld and even CK Calvin. Yes, the perfume revolution began with Kouros. I found that I could control crowds without saying a word! Yes, it was like a chapter from "Perfume" by Suskind! That was the power of the "powerhouse". Ladies had Poison, Opium and Knowing to use.

I never paid attention to the notes. It was this "magical potion" that just worked, honestly! Kouros had this subjugating effect on those around me. It made me feel sexy and magnetizing. I remained single, celibate and the center of attention throughout the 80s. The 90s is another story... Kouros put the "come hither" on anyone I desired. It would accompany me for the rest of my life, through today. Pure Alpha Male...

Now, this 3rd and final bottle of my lifetime is in my hands. I hope to have it used up before I die, because it is too good to take to the grave! Its unfortunate that future generations will not get to feel its power. Yes, I am happy the "despot formula" is on the shelves. I will never own a bottle.

For those of you that developed an aversion to Kouros, you have my sympathy. May you never forget however, that once upon a time the was a mighty fashion house called YSL that made a holy water named Kouros that granted men the power of gods
!!!

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

This is it? THIS is Kouros? Judging by all of the ruckus on here I thought my neighbours across the street would be able to smell me every time I sprayed this. I was expecting to smell like I just dunked my head into a tank of raw sewage. What's all the hype about?

Starts off strong, green, and a bit floral. A stunning green-ness, actually, I detect the geranium right away, a bit of florals and a slight citrus edge. As it progresses the florals fade and the civet/musk animality comes through, though never overbearing. I suspect reformulations may have dialed back the civet a bit. Dries down to a pleasant green soapiness, with a bit of powder, musk, and slight sweetness. Reminds me of some varieties of underarm deodorant; in this regard it is not at all unpleasant. No old ladies fainted, no monocles popped out in exasperation, no children crying. Just a clean, soapy musk.

Longevity is superb, projection and silage are both good. Would I use it instead of showering? Not a chance. Would I slather on 15 sprays of this stuff? Absolutely not - 3 sprays is all I need. Will it get me through the day at work? Easily. Stinky? Give me a break.

bp

The traditional can be modern.
The modern can safeguard the values of what is traditional.
The world is made of evolution. The ability to innovate and create something new is what distinguishes the human being.
Really appreciate everything that has historical value, but, above all, I am completely focused on innovation, irreverence and difference.
This analysis applies to all inventions that are limited to a certain historical period.
KOUROS is different. Why? Because Kouros is timeless
I've had many perfumes, various styles and very different year.
In fact, Kouros perfume is the oldest I've ever had, but I can guarantee that what transpires is a more modern and innovative.
In today's society there is a huge obsession for being different. I myself like to have their own style. The idea is not to annoy the others, focusing only on the concept that the difference is that the superiority lies ... whatever that may mean.
Kouros has a charm that no other perfume has. Everyone loves Kouros. Just smelling a perfume Kouros, is very different from using Kouros day-to-day.
It is without doubt the best scent of all time.
It is a timeless icon, and above all there in the world of perfumery.
It is impossible to describe the sensation that is to use Kouros.
In fact it is a perfume that makes us feel as real living gods.
It is fresh and vigorous simultaneously. It's nice and intrusive at the same time. It is attractive and repulsive the same time. It's mythic. It's unique.
The longevity and the projection is surreal.
For those who like to innovate, I strongly advise the Kouros ... even they do not like to smell the fragrance, buy it and use it in day to day and then they feel what I want to express.
Above all, the scent is more attractive to most women. It's guaranteed success.
For me, Kouros is not a perfume. It's a brand image.
Kouros has no time or age. He will live forever.
Kouros is Perfection.
Now I've found perfection, I can guarantee that Kouros is and will always be my favorite perfume.
For me the world could end ... but can never finish the Kouros.
KOUROS 4EVER.

hermesman
hermesman

Wore this juice back in the 80's and loved it.Big, strong and sexy.Purchased a gift set back in sept. and I think it has been reformulated.That strong brace yourself first blast is not there anymore.On first spray it smells like kouros would have smelled after 4 hours of wear then after half hour or so it's just a skin scent.Guess someone tried to make it more modern and ruined it.Hope I can find a vintage bottle and make it last forever.R.I.P.Kouros.

I was expecting something that would bowl me over backwards like the dreaded Secretions Magnifique, but what I smelt was pure and utter bliss.

The reason I enjoy Kouros so much is probably because I adore animalic and musky fragrances. I also don't mind the odd touch of patchouli every now and then in all its earthy glory.

Kouros goes on strong and unforgiving. It's one of those fragrances that say, "here I am, deal with it!" The civet (in its obvious artificial form), stands out a mile alongside a bold, masculine leather accord. In some ways Kouros is not unlike Aramis.

As the scent settles the sillage continues in strength, yet the development makes way for some interesting changes. There's a touch of softness, mainly a floral and soapy kind, that appears towards the drydown. This balances out the composition considerably, causing those somewhat fecal accords to recede and eventually diminish.

I find Kouros quite sexy, but only in small doses. It reminds me of Le Labo's Oud 27, so I am a little surprised that oud isn't listed as a note here.

The longevity and sillage are superb, quite breath-taking actually. Kouros has a tendency to cling to the skin, so bad news for those that wish to scrub this off. I am pleased, as an avid perfume reviewer to have had the opportunity to sample this polarizing and classic fragrance.

armaniboy

@marcosdv YES they have changed the bottles of both KOUROS and BODY KOUROS. YSL has also confirmed a slight reformulation... Hope they haven't "killed" any of these fragrances as they shamelessly have done with rive gauche pour homme M7 etc... :)

marcosdv
marcosdv

did ysl change the bottle?

i just bought a kouros a little bit different of the normal one.
try enter "new bottle kouros" on youtube, theres a video called "Kouros eau de toilette new bottle.wmv" showing the bottle.

darrshanjvoraa

ok last week i showed my bottle to around 5 people and 4 out of them asked me to get one for them, i got these 4 diff people 4 kouros and they r loving it to death,

i fell tis kouros has.

good projection

good sillage

and very good longevity.

malecita
malecita

I hate it! And my boyufriend too!
It's a strong weird (not in the good way) smell...it smells like urine or something like that.
Masculine but definitely NOT sexy.
Not for young men.

oxm
oxm

Kouros is a fragrance to say the least wild, woody notes make it a hot and hazy lung of a church, a sort of bellows that feeds of breath and incense, where the woods are filled the benches of the psalms and incense, where dominates throughout the wood, sometimes dark and sometimes bright midway between myth and recent history, certain masterpieces are a heritage of humanity ... but never mind those poor critters of civet cats ... you can give up their involuntary contribution.

armaniboy

This has all the qualities my ideal man should have. SEXY-masculine-inviting-dirty-elegant-clean-strong-solid-confident-unique.A man with a clean body and a dirty mind.Oh how i love Kouros.The sexiest classic.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A very powerful scent which projects big and lasts a long time, yet has a dated scent..

I applied 2 heavy sprays...

0 - 5.5 hours - 2 Foot strong projection. 2 sprays is all you need so this is a very economic choice. It is a unique dated scent, which has a masculine "edginess" about it... it is as if it is stressed out and in turmoil- there is nothing laid back about this scent.

5.5 hours - 8 hours - 2 inch projection. Linear scent

8 hours - 12 hours - Very Long lasting on skin, 1 cm projection

I wore this in the 80's as a youth and it was a big hit with the girls at that time. My wife really liked it on me today, but I couldn't wear it, even for her...However, I bet there are still thousands out there who are still using this.

stephan
stephan

I love this one, lightly applied.
If applied too much, it smells cheap like a men bathroom.
If you want a similar one, a little less dirtier, just try Knowing by Estée Lauder.

hellogoddag
hellogoddag

I don't know where the rumour that this smells like urine started, but I can't agree. All right, I think the smell is similar to a restroom, but a just cleaned restroom, like if you are waiting visit. With soaps shaped like flowers at the sink.
I don't really think it is that masculine either. It definitely shares similarities with Lagerfeld Classic, Boss Number one, and other old classics with the spicy soap-vibe.
Kouros is spicy as well, but compared to Lagerfeld Classic is Kouros way more flowery. A white floral soap with spicy undertones.
It is actually pretty good!

darrshanjvoraa

now ok, this is not an easy goody goody citrus fragrance like others in market, this is a cult classic very masculine, and not an easy going scent, but has a great projection , sillage is good and lasting is awesome, its a little harsh in starting but after an hour a nice one, its still a huge hit in market.

DaZeD

A little sidenote; i had a shampoo and body lotion sample with my bottle for free and the body lotion is definitely the strongest i ever experienced, when you apply it in the early morning and you undress in the late evening your arms will still smell like Kouros, still very strong, still very pungent, still very Kouros.

First class quality.

GugaGaidzak
GugaGaidzak

This is sharp to the nose, this may cause nausea even if you are into strong musky fragrances......

The Civet brings the urine feeling to it, but also brings the pheromones. I do not like the vibe of this thing at all.... but its a classic that is a masterpiece no matter what i say...

Years and years in the market, we are all goin to die, but this thing will keep on selling.....

i bow my head to this stinky thing!

stinky but unique!!!

tomerits
tomerits

one of the best ever,timeless,unique scent.i really feel for those who can't enjoy this masterpiece because of body chemistry. not for the boys.great for fall/winter time.love it.
my rank 5/5.

joezilla

the kouros is dead. the culprit: corporate profit and market research. for all of you screaming omg what is this, run for your lives upon smelling kouros; congratulations, you have won. kouros has been reformulated. no more civet(the infamous fecal like note), and since there is no civet, the rest of the notes have also been toned down to whisper. the strong incense smell that used to envelop you like a veil of esotery is completely gone. this is just a hollow and pale shadow of what kouros used to be.

Horrible! I can understand the uniqueness and the mastery in this fragrance, but I simply frown everytime I smell a tester. More or less like I frown at Dyptique L'Autre and Secretions Magnifiques.
Kouros: dirty fecal
L'autre: dirty sweat.
Secretions Magnifiques: dirty metallic rotten milk

For some reasons organic scents or stuff that mimics that can be interesting as a work of art, but honestly I'm happy that no man around me wears this!
What I cannot understand is the concept of the more a man smells "nature" the sexiest he is. No way.
A clean man is not a no-odour man. A good elegant warm and ambery fragrance, not overloaded, is an attractive and sexy complement of a man'skin.
Wearing fragrances that makes you smell dirty and "fecal" even if you carefully cleaned your rear parts... not attractive in my book.

I don't know why but the only men I met in my life that wore Kouros were gay men and they also wore it with much style. Perhaps it was coincidence or a more focused attention on fashion and special perfumes. Kouros is special. A bad special.

Kharnak

Mature, virile, unabashedly Masculine. This is my signature Favorite.
Strongly Powdery Musky Aldehydic Honey. Earthy Patchouli Vetiver Sage adding a dirty almost rooty soil punch. Like the Ads & designs suggest, imagine a virile rockhard sweaty body of an Athlete.
It's oldskool. My Manager said he used to love wearing this back in the 80s.
Urinous? yes... i won't lie, it is. i'm familiar with feral scents.(i got samples of seasonal Buck urine, and they have a similar accord) Sweat? Yes.... That's the civet & Patchouli.
People either love it or hate it. I feel it depends on mood and individual taste and life experiences.
VERY powerful and long lasting. It's what i describe as "Punch you in the face" Strong. Do NOT overuse. I can smell it 24 hours later as this Addicting, strangely sweet "Honey" musk on my arm. A Rare kind of... magnetism, I can only say, Erotic. OH this is one... DIRTY animal, and ahhhh love eeeet! It mixes SO perfectly with my own body scents. Just a couple of light dabs, Lasts ALL day....
Yves Saint Laurent's masterpiece. Truly "Passion in a Bottle".
Test before you buy.

** If you Dont like Kouros, i suggest "Kouros Sport". it's JUST the same scent, only sweeter, nicer and more agreeable to the common pallete.

DaZeD

Fecal?I dunno, i don't think it is anyway.

I do understand when people say it smells like those urinal dots they use in urinoirs, it really has a sharp pungent smell at first, after a while it changes to a very musky scent with that same "fresh" undertone, the best way to describe the scent is that it's just plain weird, it is, it's a really weird quirky scent.

Many people seem to have a really definite opinion about it, they love it or they hate it and i think it's just normal with this one.

This is one of the most eccentric scents i ever smelled and lot's of people just don't get it, so if you are afraid of public opinion definitely do not buy this one, i personally don't mind to shock a little, i like to distinguish myself from the mass, not by all costs, but this one feels good to me so i don't care, i love it!

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

This is a fantastic cold weather scent - full of heavy, rich fragrances, smelling of an Orthodox church and at the same time animalistic. The incense and civet hit you at first, for the initial 5 minutes or so, this is a bit disjointed, and this is where most people would shy away.

Let the alcohol dry off, let it settle in and warm up on your skin, and the incense blends with green sage, a hint of vetiver, and the oakmoss and leather start to come out. The body of the fragrance rides for hours this way - slightly smoky, green, woody, mossy. All the while a little bit of the civet and musk peek back through.

There is nothing "fresh" about this fragrance. There are no strings or winds or trumpets. It is all bass and low brass. Scents like this and Grey Flannel are made for the cold, wet winter.

jerseyjoe1981
jerseyjoe1981

A FECAL MASTERPIECE!! FULL OF POWER.....best part about it....after using the bathroom, don't turn on the fan, just spray 5 sprays of this in the air and you will swear your in a public bathroom somewhere in a ghetty gas station off of highway 40 traveling cross country.

Yessssim very powerful stuff. Many haters....I like it because it is daring, provocative, and different. Whether it smell fecal or not.

queops
queops

actualle i think its a chypre spicy for notes aldehydic almost petitgrain,clary sage and spices in top,in the heart orris root,patchouly leaf and the earthy vetiver,finalized of course with leather,civet and oakmoss.

bubbah
bubbah

STRONG!!!

Reminds me of the smell of those discs you'd find sitting in the men's urinal!!...REPULSIVE!!

fergali
fergali

Kouros is a very unique fragrance.Like in every unique fragrance it is a love or hate fragrance.You have to be easy on the trigger to understand the magic of this juice.If it is used right, it evolves on your body during the day and blend with the body odor and give you a sexy natural smell.Also not everybody have it, that is a plus.

spoombung
spoombung

After 30 years on the marketplace this still remains strangely compelling in an unusual, distinctive, seductive way. It's an undeniably fine and brilliantly composed fragrance. Such a bold statement.

Hmmm. I'm pondering whether to go down memory lane and purchase a bottle...

adrianocgo
adrianocgo

Using a few, it blasts for a long time at any place! Symbol of eternal virility

Sillage: 10
Longevity: Really 10, powerful
Scent: 7

soned
soned

Ohhh my, true story. It was 1990, I was finishing my mechanical engineering degree. I had 6 fragances at the time (My mom worked at Sears fragance department, sweeeet!), Fahrenheit, CK Obssesion, JOOP Homme, Passion, Sung Homme and Kouros.
My girlfriend at the time, knew and loved Obssesion, which I used when we got out during the night, and Fahrenheit, which I used during the day at college. When She saw all the bottles in display in my room, She asked "Ohhh, you use women's fragances too?", JAJAJA. She saw the color and shape of the bottles for JOOP, Passion, Sung and Kouros and assumed they were all women's fragances.(At that time, those colors were not very "Manly")
I took her for a scent test, and She loved all, EXCEPT KOUROS!.
Long story short, I still use ALL of them today, EXCEPT KOUROS, and that is the end of the story!

ION

"Kouros" is one of those perfumes that their image is larger than the smell!
Of course it is based on a Greek theme [funny how foreigners always manage to sell Greek themes better than Greeks themselves (see Versace for example), but let's not get into that bitter conversation now, since I don't feel particularly generous about my fellow citizens lately (where "lately" put "the last 30 years")], the white marble bottle and the blue package with the lettering and the motifs are simple, great and to the point.
The smell is very characteristic and unique! Sharp and dry, kind of arrogant and emphatic, a bit on the monotony side I would say.
You smell it once and you never forget it!
Many men still wear it because it makes them feel so powerful and attractive, but as you know, when you buy "Kouros" you don't just buy a perfume. You buy a status as well!
I am more than happy with the way the new bottle feels at one's hand and yes I'll agree with the designers the decorative silver lines outside, were one silver line too much!
Now a small story. I was in a big department store in Athens when I saw two very sexy (but in an arrogant way) girls at the YSL counter.
"Hello girls", I said. "I see Kouros is still on the market, I can hardly believe it! Does it sell?"
-"It not just sells" they both said confident I'd buy the perfume for their sake only. "It outsells!!"
-"Then", I replied "I won't buy it. Who wants to smell like all the the rest, anyway.." (ok, later I found out they were not all that arrogant in person :))

a note: I consider the flanker "Kouros Fraicheur" (see my review) even better than the real thing. If you find it, get it without hesitation.

evilspin
evilspin

I always knew this to be oldschool and a classic American Man, Dad, Uncle, Grandfather scent.My dad had this and I would sometimes go into his closet as a boy and spray this or his other old school classic man scents. So this cologne does take me back. But I don't see me wearing it in today's world. All I see wearing this is old guys or guys that just got here from Cuba.I know they don't sell it in grand department stores or high end. I only seen it in marshall's and Sears so that kind of told me that its one of those forgotten or ultimately classic colones people tend to pass on. I saw it recently and took a wiff to recall old days. Yuuuuup I was right, NOT for me. It has that old school man scent. That may remind you of when Dad or Grandpa would come visit or hug and kiss you and they would smell like this, with their cigar, tobacco pipe scent and beard pinching you. Maybe that's why woman love it so much cause it has that vintage Gentleman smell or psychologically turn them on cause it reminds them of vintage rugged man or the men they looked up to. But for me, I think people would tell me I stink or smell like old man. So that's not ultimately a compliment since I'm young and tend to lean towards scents that are fresh, woodsy and different that no one recognizes or commonly over used. (like: YSL L'Homme, Terre D'Hermes, Un Jardin Sur le toit, Cartier declaration essence, F by Ferragamo, Burberry Brit/Touch, Tom Ford, Hermessence, Bottega Veneta, Dior Homme, etc.)

SippinSoda
SippinSoda

If Kouros were a situation:

You're in a patio garden not so far from the sea. After a day of harsh summer sunshine, the potted orange trees' bark welcomes the moist cool air that the night is now bringing. One of the tealights burns out. You smear some of its wax on your linen sleeve. The setting wax turns a lacquered cotton-candy pink and fatty baby blue. The only sound around comes from your jute-rope soles on the chalky pebbles.

jtd
jtd

I’ve worn Kouros on and (mostly) off since its release. I’ve never found it skanky or off-putting in the least. Categorically, I find it a musky, spicy-floral fougère. I’ll admit the musks give it a bit of a mammalian undertone, but the clove, botany’s super antimicrobial, more than holds the unwashed at bay. I tend to find the musks that others find raunchy, dirty or displeasing merely skin-sweet and appealing. I find Muscs Koublai Khan adorable and actually a bit quaint.

So here’s my scorecard on the judgments leveled on Kouros:

Musky? —Yes. Sweet like the skin at the nape of someone’s neck.
Clovelike? —Yes, cool to the touch.
Indolic? — Yes. Orange blossom.
Urinous? — No. Maybe elsewhere in the world there are Kouros-scented urine cakes, but I get neither the urinal nor the urine vibe.
Poopy? — No. Simply, no.
Powerhouse? Compared to an eau de cologne for instance, yes. Otherwise, merely works like a fragrance. (You know, you’re supposed to smell it.)

All I knew on my own skin before Kouros was the original Chanel’s Antaeus. It was dark and brooding and had huge projection and sillage. I wasn’t sparing in applying Antaeus and while it left a wake a mile wide behind me, I believe it also actually preceded me into a room as well. By comparison, Kouros was a sweet pussycat.

krmarich

This was the first mens powerhouse offering from the 1980s. I didnt encounter it until 1985, when it became my signature. Coming from YSL it was perhaps the largest composition ever created for men. It still gets so much attention. Oddly, a lot of bad reviews-see below!

Looking at the notes-it is a classic fougere. Toss in some animalic notes and you get sex in a bottle. Artemesia and patcholi bring the urinal cake into play. Yes, Kourous seems pissy upon application, yet as it rests, it developes into smokey rich temple offering! Its for those bad boys who your mom warns you about! It always reminds me of sitting around a hot summer pool sipping pastis. It can last for 2 days or more if you dont shower...

There will never be anything like again and its still in production today. I am sure it has been toned down. I still have some original formula. I use about one spray a year nowadays. Its mostly for nostalgia-or a particular hot date...

02/24/12 Update!!!Tragic reformulation was due sooner or later. Nothing is sacred to L'Oreal Paris. I hope they are happy changing history-mine lasted about 25 years with this wonder! I have purchased my last vintage bottle. It is a splash and will last for the rest of my life.

dmdipentino@verizon.net
dmdipentino@verizon.net

Yuck!! Peeeeuuuupie!
probably all of that Patchouli and civet
Prob. the worst cologne that I literaly "assults' my nose, like ... "Fendi" for Women.

Karenin
Karenin

Strong, rich, intense, original, recognisable. What else would you expect from YSL? This a fabulous signature fragrance with a personality, but certainly not for everybody. I highly recommend it, but strongly discourage potential enthusiasts from blind purchase. This is a wild beast! I love it.

cesao72
cesao72

The point is, subjectivity has LIMIT. Kouros is not fresh. Kouros is very strong, striking, invasive, "territorial" even. ICON OF PERFUME is a strong male. Fixed a lot. It is synonymous with virility, masculinity, has a hand up and dirty "animal." It has time and place to use: typically for mild temperatures and night. For me, it fits fine apparel and formal occasions. Many who have it, but very few who know how to use it. A spray is designed to more and catastrophe. In the wrong hands, it is absolutely suffocating, sickening, nauseating. It is an undisputed classic, yet it has aged badly. Again, Kouros is NOT cool. Who wants to smell the line "fresh" have to look for the "Aqua anything" and the "fraiche", "light", "summer" or "ice" of vida.Thanks Pierre Bourdon M, I use since 1990.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

The first time I smelled I couldn't believe how bad it was. I described it as dirty diapers on brindle goldenrod industrial carpeting. That was some years ago and today: I am wearing it right now and it's fantastic. I can not smell what repulsed me originally. Really, really nice. Not screaming 80s, not dirty, not even loud. I asked my boss if it was too strong and she said that she could barely smell it, that it was faint and she loved it. I actually wish I could smell that original impression again, just for fun. In fact I only bought because it was discontinued and I wanted an 80s nostalgia item. I was surprised when it turned out to completely fail on that count.

tyealia
tyealia

I think this is the cologne "Sex Panther" was based on, oh yeah it attracts all the women, its so individualistic, so refined, so modern...its too bad 80% of the people you wear it around cant appreciate it. Honestly foalks this is one only perfumers will understand because they have been bombarded by hundreds of scents and want something "special" it is special. Just not the kind of sex panther special you might want.

reignydaze
reignydaze

Spectacular and enormous. Yes its strong, fabulous longevity and I adore it. Dirt? No patchouli. Piss? No Jasmine. Sweat? Civet maybe. Im so glad im not one of the dirt, sweat, pissy lightweights. To me this is has an opinion, its directional as the 80s was. Women in Poison and Men in Kouros lol clearly everyones noses were numbed by cocaine.

bonovox
bonovox

Worst YSL fragrance ever! Please do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this as possible. Why do you think you can find this for five dollars a bottle? I would rather spray Pine-Sol on my body and roll in dog dung! 4/10

puddley
puddley

This is one of those very odd fragrances with heaps of personality. I have found that I can't get away with wearing it as a woman, it's just too well known. But, I do love it. Maybe because it smells of my school years in the eighties and sends me straight back to 'snogging boys' on the playing fields. Clearly a personal perspective!
Memories aside, it's a shame it's no longer very prevalent as it really is a truly unique scent, quite unlike anything else. On the rare occasions that I encounter it, my heads always turns to the source. 40 year men, if you want to attract a woman (or man) of similar age, this just might give you a head start.

calyx93
calyx93

Well, judging upon the fragrances that Janotte reviews, it is apparent why Kouros is hated by him - it's simply too individualistic a fragrance and far too challenging. Something he's not accustomed to - he sticks with the safe and easy ones. It makes it easier to blend in amongst the other boring folk. (edit - Sept. 13, 2011 - I guess he got a hint, left and had his comments voted away.)

I don't mind his detractions - in fact it just stirs up more interest in why Kouros is such a polarizing fragrance that so many do love. As we all know, bad PR can readily drive users in the unintended direction :) Keep it up the good publicity Janotte!

As for the fragrance - I cannot praise it enough. Yes, it takes some time to get used to for the fragrance novice, like many things such as scotch whiskey, cigars, caviar, certain artwork, particular cheeses, etc. However, when when the taste is acquired, it is as if a darkened screen has been lifted and the beauty and artistry shines through unimpeded. Such is the savagely sexual beauty of Kouros.

Mrgstar
Mrgstar

JANOTTE, This cologne came out in 1981. And it has not been discontinued yet. And it is a very good reason for that; It is a very good and a high quality fragrance!
I can assure you that it will not be discontinued in the near future either!

bp

Only for true lovers and connoisseurs of perfumery more elaborated in the world ...
It will certainly be my next new perfume ...
Kouros results of the complex simplicity of perfection ...
I strongly recommend ...
It is absolutely remarkable and unforgettable ...

Finisterle
Finisterle

It's not called King Kouros for nothing.
The fragrance, bottle and name conjoin in an Allkunstwerk hitting home with almost religious fervor.

This is counter reformation. This is Bernini on a catholic crusade of the arts musing on athleticism, youth and sensuality in ancient Greece while at the peak of his powers.

The big question: Is this recommended for full retail price ? Yes ! Are you kidding ? It's like asking - is St. Peter's worth a visit if you like classic architecture.

santino
santino

On a cold winter evening, you went to meet a newly met acquaintance to their house. You sit down in their living room, playing with your mug of coffee. You dont know these people so well. You are constantly watching your mannerism: thinking twice before speaking, watching your gestures and posture, your body slightly tense due to the air of discomfort. Suddenly, you have an urge to empty your bladder. Very politely, you ask your hosts to direct you towards their bathroom. They do so with utmost courteousness.
You enter the bathroom and frisk the walls in darkness searching for the light switch. The bathroom being dark yet, you cannot see anything but you can smell. A combination of smells hit your sinuses. Smell of clean toilet , smell of air freshener, smell of soaps and lotions laying on the edge of the bath tub and the natural musky smell coming off the undergarments belonging to the owner of the bathroom. It is a combination of these smells, but while you perform your restroom ritual, you take time to analyse each smell according the its source. You feel oddly comfortable with this foreign aroma. Slowly, the cords of your discomfort loosen up and you feel an abstract intimacy with these smells. You are feeling intrigued, amused and slightly embarrassed at the same time.
Now that you have been through the olfactory experience of one the private areas of your acquaintance's house, you take your seat with a broader smile. You grab the mug of your coffee. Now your new acquaintance has become your friend.

janotte

I reviewed this before and my negative review will NOT change. So stop removing the negative reviews that are posted here.

This cologne is BABY POWDER mixed with STALE URINE. No one needs balls to wear this. What is needed is a certificate of madness from a psychiatric hospital.

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

Very strong and very original - as le parfum should be.

I love this scent because it is not like the others scents.

Toujours en vogue!

vmzaneti
vmzaneti

This one rocks. To me, it is a total masterpiece.
It opens and remains very strong, with spetacular sillage and lasting power throughout its olfactory show (yeah, it's that good).

What I get in the opening is a brief burst of freshness, followed up by some dirty notes (guess it's the civet) spices and a very dominant burning incense note (don't know why it isn't listed here) that immediately resembles those incenses that are burnt during religious rituals. That note is the protagonist of the show and, because of it, I consider this scent misterious and almost transcendental...

The incense remains during almost the entire lasting time of the EDT, and God, how does it last! (12+ hours easily).

In the middle notes the initial freshness disappears, and the incense + civet + spices combine with some subtle florals, and a hint of the sweetness of the tonka bean and vanilla is already noticeable, giving the fragrance a quality that is warm, dirty, dry and incredible seductive at the same time. The tonka bean and vanilla become more proeminent as the scent develops on the skin, sweetening the fragrance as the hours pass by.

It's unique, projection is killer, everything is perfectly blended in the composition, the fragrance is utter masculine (can't imagine a woman wearing this). Actually, I've dated some girls who asked me what I was wearing because they told me they never smelled anything so masculine and seductive before. I totally agree with them. Kouros seems to be the olfactorization of the masculinity essence.
You have to be comfortable and in touch with your masculinity to wear Kouros. It's not for the shy or the unconfident type of guy. Wear it boldly and proudly, and it will fit your state of spirit like a glove.

I can see why some would not like this one. It is definitelly a love-or-hate fragrance, and while I highly reccomend it myself, I do not reccomend anyone to buy it blindly.

That being said, Kouros will always have a special place in my heart, and I will always have it in my wardrobe.

Ps: just remember to go easy on the trigger, specially in hot weather, or you will ruin the entire show. Even great things can be intolerable when in excess.

Masterpiece.

Rate: 10/10.

missan

Anybody heard of Lord Kyle by Lord Hamilton? The lady in the shop told me it´s a concentrated version of Kouros. I took a tester with me, and she might be right, it smells like like a more natural and stronger Kouros. I must go back and get a big bottle.

maknine ezzine
maknine ezzine

tres synthetique........mais c'est vrais il sent le sexxxxxxxxxxxx......mai je croi que ce n'est pas ca la plus belle odeur!!!lol ah oui alors!!!!

janotte

vomit inducing, nauseous disgusting scent. i dont know who is worst, the person(s) who made this or the ones who would actually wear such a thing. If this is still in production, then production of this thing should stop immediately.

sillage 10/10
longevity 10/10
awful 10/10

Anup
Anup

KING KOUROS! *Melts*

I swear i've smelled this so many times before. It's been a while since i've done any reviews but this one has compelled me, to not review this masterpiece would be an insult to it's legacy.

This, to me, brings up imagery of a male lovers presence. Protecting me and ravaging me. A huge bulking man with no money, and a big heart.

This scent is Animalic Animalic Animalic. And ladies if you like the way your mans genitals smell after a hard days work, i'm sure you'll enjoy this one as much as i do.

I approve

Smell: 8
Longevity: 15
Sillage: 15

FLMonteiro
FLMonteiro

Too strong, too invasive, too old, too powerful and arrogant.
Like someone that has to yell to be noted.
All i can smell is funeral incense.

Longevity 10/10
Projection 10/10
Smell 3/10

PseudoCz
PseudoCz

This is pure sex. The skin which it works is really hard-to-find. Smell animalic and I think this smells good on me. Strange, poetic, strong and old but, who cares?
On me:

Sillage: Extreme (Touch anything and the fragrance will stuck on)
Longevity: Marvelous (8h+)

I remember those times when designer's fragrances used to be bold, intense, unique and even challenging. I remember those times when we used to wear a perfume to add an extra touch to our personality or simply to fully express it. I remember those times when we all used to smell different. Today it seems that this concepts have been slightly modified. We're all supposed to smell "clean", "inoffensive", "aseptic", "unoriginal". We're filled with anonimous fragrances, "blues", "light blues", "aquas", "fresh aquas". Why don't we all start dressing in white and get a barcode tattooed on our necks?

Kouros is a fantastic alternative to the above scenario and one of the most recognizable scents ever. A dirty, intriguing and extremely compelling fragrance that smells exacltly like a male's greased hairs and his sweaty body while he's wearing an intense animalic musky perfume. Sadly, or happily as the case may be, there's only one like Kouros. Be careful with dosage, this is very powerful.

masterbrush
masterbrush

Handle with care... although Kouros makes me think of holidays in the Mediterreanean (Greece, Morocco, Ibiza) it can be tricky to wear it in high Summer, as then its qualities can be overamplified and the result is inevitably tacky and gauche. Once I had applied it and somehow my sense of smell became numbed so I applied some more. Bad idea. Basically with wearing too much you stink up the place where you are, and yes it tends to reek of urine then.

Having said that, in the right amount on the right occasion it can be dynamite!

JohnMc
JohnMc

Thoroughly 'different' from the accompanying fragrances which can often be found sitting beside it on the shelf of a major department store.

Uncompromising, sexy, powerful and above all distinctive. Depending on your own skin's ph balance, this complex fragrance will either work wonders on your olfactory glands or the opposite. Very much a love or loathe-type of fragrance. One general rule of thumb for the devotees out there (I am one), only one maybe two sprays of this stuff - very powerful stuff indeed.

Natalie467
Natalie467

Oh my.

This IS sex in a bottle. The coriander, orris root, patchouli, leather, oakmoss and civet translate into sex, no holds barred, sweaty, old school 1970's triple X film sex. There, I said it. Perhaps the other notes in this keep it from becoming too vulgar, there's suppose to be carnation, geranium, honey and other things in Kouros, oops, I didn't notice them!

Kouros is a mature, masculine, animalistic, sexual scent, the complete opposite of the myriad of plastic-y, clean smelling, unoffensive scents of today. Strong and attention getting. It's like the proverbial Spanish Fly. I got a real nose full of this recently and it blew me away, bwhahahaha~

Thanks Krmarich for swapping this with me, I'll never look at mens' fragrances the same way again! And I probably won't find any that come close to this one, either.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Kouros is the true meaning of an aromatic fougere.
It uses everything. Especially the powerful wood/floral combo style that makes so many 80's classics.
While still smelling very similar to Lomani and Drakkar Noir, enough so that I would not personally wear it, it claims it's own signature of worth in the honey, aldehydes, cinnamon and bergamot to separate itself from the rest, just that lil extra something.
There was recently a forum topic about "disliking a scent but admiring the quality",
well for me, Kouros fits that bill. While admittedly a tiny bit different from the two mentioned similarities, it's still far from my taste, but a complex and high quality scent IMO none the less.

mehrdad

با احترام
گالری عطر مهرداد

KOUROS - EAU DE TOILETTE

Natural spray PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The fragrance of triumphant masculinity

KOUROS, inspired by the gods of ancient Greece, is a fragrance of strength and triumphant masculinity.
It’s a conquering spirit, the cult of the male body.

Size: 50 ml , 100 ml

querelle
querelle

THE epitome of a male perfume. It just is. For me, it is equivalent to No5 for the male perfumes, just like Coco asked for a perfume which smells like a woman, Mr Pierre Bourdon, came up with a perfume which smells like a man. Simple as that.
EPIC!

mediterranean
mediterranean

Well , this is sex in a bottle. This is what a man smells like after hours of passionate sex, dirty, sweaty and sooooo good. It turns me on inmediatly and makes me want more and more.

MRare
MRare

This stuff is HORRIBLE... The atomic bomb of powder. Instead of using this, you could just drench yourself in powder and go out, it might actually be better!

If you're under 30 and wearing this, you're probably at home on the weekends playing Call of Duty cause no younger woman is into this...

and if they are, they probably have some Freudian dad fetish.

liplop
liplop

they said Nell Armstrong was wearing Kouros thru his first discovery to the moon :)and it was a successful discovery.

adrienn99
adrienn99

oh my. enough of this youngsters cannot understand (I am twentysomething woman)!

enough of metrosexual guys wearing teddy bear scents!

I want a man wearing this :)

poison
poison

Kouros.

Oh my, what an innocent name for such a potent and strong perfume! In fact the name of this fragrance is an antitesys, because the noun “kouros” in classical Greek means young boy or as a secondary meaning youth, but in Kouros nothing has to do with the innocence of a young boy.
I see here on Fragrantica that a lot of ladies think that this perfume smells like sex in a bottle or like a strong, breath-taking, good at making love man, that just arrived from hard work sweatye but still smelling of some nice perfume.

Actually I myself find this perfume a very animalic and manly scent. I think that almost all the perfumes in the world are unisex, but with exceptions. Kouros is one big exception. Honestly I don’t see a woman wearing this. I’d rather imagine a woman wearing Opium for men or Vetiver but not this one.
Kouros deserves to be called by right the masculine variant of Christian Dior’s Poison.

They are both, strong, bold, with a lot of personality but warm and romantic and passional in the same time, just like warriors or heroes they have a super sensitive side. I wear Poison and when I wear it I feel like I would have a special aura around me. The same thing happens with Kouros, when I spray it on me.
Both perfumes Kouros and Poison mean much more than simple fragrances, they are like the most comfortable and cozy blanket under wich you can hide and make a lot of stuff.

The sillage is unbearable and the lasting power is criminal.

This is a paradox I know, although I am open and I consider that anyone can wear and enjoy every perfume that they like, masculine or feminine, no matter the age, I simply don’t imagine young clubers wearing this stuff.

A perfume for the male in you.

purplesun
purplesun

One of the best fragrances to be ever created, those who hate it simply have no idea what a really good perfume should smell like. Kouros has all that it takes to last forever. I bought my one and so far only bottle when I was, let me think, 23 years old. I have loved it from the very first moment and doubt that my very special relation to Kouros will ever change.
I am 27 years old now, and have used very little of my bottle, considering the time-frame. If I want to feel divine, I wear Kouros!
Can you say "transcendental perfume"?

Frag
Frag

If you survive the opening, this is very nice, spicy, manly and sexy with a hint of beastly. If one is willing to put up with the massive, in your face, pissoir opening, which lasts a fair while, I'm afraid, is really another question.

Myself, I am undecided at the moment. It really does smell like (quality) urinal cake at first, which is funny the first time around, but could get rather annoying on repeat. Careful timing as to when to put this on would be necessary; unless you're a little naughty and want to smell like cottaging.

Unique.

Lotofire
Lotofire

I really like strong and complex fragrances (check my profile) but this lacks complexity altough is really strong; smells so bad i asked four women and a guy when i tried it for the second time and the reaction was very bad all five of them agreed that it was disgusting a girl said:¨is not you is the cologne smells just awfull smells like a very old drunk man¨ a nice 40/50 Elegant woman said: ¨yuck, that´s bad smells like cheap cologne¨... then i finally came to a conclusion:I guess that if it makes some women weak in the knees it must be a very old woman with a serious problem getting men; and if it appeals ballsy men it must be a very old guy with extended skin in that area and a lack of sense of taste and smell.

JustinV
JustinV

On my skin:
Top + Middle: OMG, omg, omg, omg....this...is....artwork! This! This scent, it shoots like a laser, or Darth Vader's light saber...
Does it has citrus? YES
Does it has sweetness? YES
Does it has grassy scent? YES (A lil')

This is....quite offending to most ppl. But the scent, this is artwork!!!

This scent...this...omg..its' got that, masculine, after-shave, men, sex, men, sex....

12 hours on my skin, do u believe it???

Base: The gentlemen sweetness of vanilla, with those top and middle notes sitting there. 6-12 hours.

This is harsh, seriously, I got alot of hate from this. Some say it smells old, some say 'wash it away, man, it smells like urine'. Some say 'if I am not with my boyfriend, I would have sleep with you....' HAHA!

1 spray near your neck and chest, I repeat, ONE! Is more than enough to knock ppl out!! And try not to get to your clothes, wear your clothes after the juice settle down, it could stain your shirt.

Daring scent for sure, you will cut through the smoke with this in lounge.

This is not a school or college scent. Your teachers or lecturers will hate you, girls will move away from you, and guys will laugh at you.

The country I am in has no 4 seasons, so it is either hot or cold weather. This works pretty very well on both actually. BUT 1! only one!!

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 5 (unique,artwork,masterpiece).

Sillage: 5 (you know when you see volcanoes on National Geographic and it seems dangerous? This one has it).

Time length: 5 (This scent is bonkers, 24 hours on my skin, even after bath).

Occasion: 1 (Sorry to say this, this scent....is not so modern to me, its dated, its not as cool as it used to be, but this one is a great gift for your dad, and tell him to be easy on the trigger).

Overall base on mathematics: 4/5

This artwork is a keeper, but will I use it? Most probably not...Maybe for intimate session XD. But if you are that tall, 6 footer with that big, giant muscles around you...bingo, this is for you =)

missan

Personally I think this is a masterpiece, a very special cologne that cannot be repeated. The second from Pierre Bourdon should be Live Jazz.
Very special, divine even.

dasa

the best comment of this fragrance I've ever heard was from my ex girlfriend. Let me just say that KOUROS in my language(serbian) is similar with word that stands for penis (dick to be precise :D).
So, my girlfriend asks me: "What's that scent you're wearing?".
"Kouros", I say.
"Mmmmm, Kouros indeed".

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

Cant remember if I wrote a review on this but here goes, this will be very short because there is not much to say about this. I love Yves Saint Laurent & they dont have to take a back seat to anyone, but when it comes to Kouros, this is thee 1 & only frag I HATE from this house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So disgusting & vile... Body Kouros is MUCH BETTER! Thats my opinion! This simply does not work for me & I would not suggest this to an enemy!

sherry99

Bought it yesterday after a while and now loving every micro bubble of it xD: )
Now this one will work for 2 years minimum. Because 2 puffs of this and you are flying : P : )
Guess what? It's time to hunt some Boooobes ::::))))))

guest_Bertram perera
guest_Bertram perera

crestfallen your view is your personal HATE with this HOT SHOT ever green scent.
I'm working in HSBC Rome as a product manager, kouros is wore by me and some other officers in my bank,it is considered to be the most elegant,masculine,stylish and long lasting perfume in our upper middle class section of HSBC. What are you writing this piss cake story?
I'm getting compliments from every second person in my bank and other officials. I am 37 now but i am using it for past exactly 13 years, it never annoyed me or any one around me,though after the bank with out gap i party with my female friends as i am still single and love being single, no one ever complaint like the way you presented this block buster of 80s.
You need to try again.

guest_Faisal shah
guest_Faisal shah

Hello every one ,,,
I have no much knowledge about notes and other technical stuff, i only wear what i like, I am wearing this perfume for past 8 years, first time when i got this as a gift from my sis an after shave of kouros i was in university, i liked it so much plus the class fellows always kept on asking about it, therefore i decided to buy a regular bottle of scent,since then i am only using this and some times Opium.But this beautiful scent always attract more women, so i was pretty shocked to see how can many people writing such bad comments about this scent. I think every bodys skin has a different skin properties, may be this is the reason.

sherry99

Well to many haters of this classic item on this page. Why? I guess they have no idea how much females admire this on men.
I'm sure it is in the top 10 of hot sexy dames.The top notes are the sexiest XDD
About the age thing? Well i think it depends on skin chemistry, i'm 25 and getting a lot of compliments from younger and my age girls and boys, so i can't agree on this.
Very nice projection and longevity is Extra : )))
One thing i know, it is not for summers or hot humid countries.
It is a winter hit classic.
It proves the phenomena right that 'OLD IS GOLD'.

Dad jax
Dad jax

One of me and my dads old favorites, we love it like any thing, i mostly use at elite dinners and Get togethers, i agree every one can't swallow it easily cus it needs a very high profile mindset which many ppl donot have.
Sillage good, longevity on my dry skin fantastic.I donot want any thing more in 34Eur fr 100ml.!!!!
All together a GREAT SHOW !!!!

@ marioslg you are RIGHT !!!!

guest_supertrooper
guest_supertrooper

it's not exclusively for 'mature men'. i first wore it in my twenties and felt special. ladies always complimented me and would say how enigmatic i smelled. now i wear polo and so does my son.

Halalay
Halalay

Makes the ladies weak in the knees indeed, irrespective of age, ha, ha! Best application advice: fill a bottle having a capillary opening in its neck (with diameter < 1 mm) and apply no more than 50 to 100 MICROLITERS at a time and you'll be in fine shape.

Dear Crestfallen,

Kouros is not for young guys. Kouros is for mature men with balls as you said. I had the same opinion with you some years ago but now I'm nearly 36, I find this a very macho perfume and is something that smells like no one else. It has to be applied on the right skin and be 100% a "clean guy" in order to give you the maximum. I remember in late 90's, my boss used to wear Kouros and was an absolute disaster on him. Now I'm using Kouros and although I have more than 60 perfumes, Kouros is something else. I don't know how old are you or what you like perfume-wise but this is indeed a love or hate perfume. So, thank god Kouros is for very few people. Needless to say that it is a very strong perfume, not for hot weather and should applied on the skin with care. It smells like urinal cakes but in a very attractive manly way that is so nice...at least on me. In my opinion is the best male perfume ever because it is so masculine, smells sweet without being female, last long and no other perfume can be similar to Kouros....either you like it or not. I'm saying this because I'm a fan of YSL perfumes and especially the old school perfumes.

This one seems to be about skin chemistry. If your skin "eats up" fragrances, then this may be for you. On me, the animalic notes never mellow out, and it is not pleasant at all. If I leave aside the skin chemistry issue, meaning that if I had to assess Kouros based only upon my skin chemistry, I'd say that it's a failed attempt at merging the Victorian kind of fragrance ("heavy" floral, musky, animalic, etc.) with the 80s "power fragrance" kind of idea. What results comes across as more of an attempt to cover up a horrible smell with powerful chemical disinfectants (thus the "urinal cakes in a men's room" impression many have) than anything else. I can understand Bijan for men, for a point of reference, but not this, at least not for a personal and pleasant olfactory experience. I thought that diluting it might eliminate the harsh, unbalanced, offensive qualities, but it does not, though I've found that doing so makes One Man Show pleasant/wearable. In short, I think the idea was to "throw the kitchen sink" in and "amp it up to the max," thinking that moths are attracted to flames, or something along those lines. How it can be used to impress (or repulse) others is a question I'm not really interested in, but it's clearly a "statement making" fragrance.

UPDATE: I sampled my heavily diluted version of Kouros and now I can just about tolerate it. I'd say it's like this big ball of honey sweetness emerging out of a fetid swamp of animalic/earthy/musty notes. It's actually rather interesting, but I really need to be in the mood for it. I think the patchouli, wood, and sweet notes are now the accord I dislike most (in the diluted version), whereas undiluted it is overpowering to such a degree that I can't even try to figure out which notes are bothering me most.

UPDATE #2: I think the patchouli is what makes these kinds of fragrances unbearable to me (that includes Sung Homme as well). Not that I hate patchouli, which is strong in Michael for Men (Kors). That's one of my favorite fragrances. I think that vanilla, civet or castoreum, and patchouli are the combination I find highly unpleasant.

UPDATE #3: I sprayed once to the chest with original formulation Kouros, and the animalic quality was very strong at first. However, within the hour the balance was much better. The main players in the drydown include the animalic quality (clearly "dirty jasmine"), a vanillic/honey element, and a kind of clean smoke musk. The other notes play more of a supporting role, though you can tell there is spice, patchouli, a light incense quality, etc. There is something similar in the drydown of Sung Homme but here is doesn't become irritating, as I find it does in that one. I'm not sure I like this as much as Joint for Men, which is similar, but I think I can wear it now and enjoy it. Obviously, this is not for those who want something "fresh" or "sporty." I plan on wearing a subsequent formulation (not the latest) and report back.

UPDATE #4: I recently did a comparison between oldest formula and newer one (with chrome on shoulders). I haven't tried newest. These are very similar but there are some notable differences. The oldest has three distinct facets, vanilla/honey, animalic, and "clean" smoke/musk. The other notes are in the "background." The newer one is more blended together, and seems to have a bit more honey. It's closer to Sung Homme than the oldest, with more pronounced patchouli. I prefer the oldest formulation.

BIG
BIG

When i sniffed my wrist after having applied Kouros, i instantly got this nauseous feeling that i still can't get rid of. Moving on, after some minutes the fragrance evolved into a oriental delight (vanilla & honey) with a soapy accord in the background. It me reminds a great deal of Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1987), but Kouros is a multi-faceted beast instead. There's one more thing that should be taken into account, it all depends on your skin chemistry. Therefore Kouros is not for everybody.
And never ever overapply it! Otherwise you're gonna stink like a pile of poo!

Omega Man
Omega Man

Kouros is an aquired taste like whiskey or even beer. It takes a few times of experiencing it to actually like it. Of course, the problem is: Kouros doesn't make a good first impression on young people nowadays. There's a dirty note from start to finish that is never totally hidden by the rest of the thick, strong, soapy composition. Kouros creates more of an affect for a guy rather than just a nice smell.

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

I swore by this scent when I was 21 and living in Wellington New Zealand. It was sweet and manly and everywhere I walked I knew that women could smell my halo of Kourous emanating steadily over a 12 hour period. Now, I have lived in London for 12 years, am 37 years of age and Kouros reminds me of that musky fecal smell when a guy takes a massive dump and the musk from his rectal perineum gland mingles with copious amounts of floral air freshener that he sprays to mask the fecal musky pong.

Annica
Annica

My husband wore this when we dated in the 90-ies. I remember it as a deep, strong and very masculine scent with great sillage and stayingpower. It was quite original compared to other male fragrances on the market at that time.

iconoclast
iconoclast

I've never liked this. IMAO this is bottled "crap". Literally. I've seen it being hilariously described elsewhere as having a "wonderfully vile" fecal smell (ROFL). Needless to say I disagree with this in as much as fecal smells are abhorrent. People smelling this on you could well end up scratching their heads wondering which planet you've come from...Ur-anus? Certainly nowhere pleasant. Don't do it!!

If you must get this, then let me respectfully suggest a less offensive and more pleasant alternative: Kouros Fraicheur (if you can find it). And whilst I'm at it, FOR GOD'S SAKE please bin that old white suit of yours - it's 3 inches too small at the waste now!!

narcotic
narcotic

It's as if Yves Saint Laurent himself removed all the Ls from the "HEATED POOL" signs.

If you are part of the rarefied few who can pull this off, MAJOR kudos!

Lance
Lance

Another love or hate scent! And it's a no no for me, and for my age.
I have to say that it's very unique, warm and sweet in oriental way, suits for gentlemen 30+
Mabe I will purchase this for my daddy as a birthday gift!

marioslg

The classic masterpiece of YSL. I'm a fan on YSL perfumes, especially for this, M7 and Rive gauche but this is the classic male perfume that will always be my signature scent. It is a love or hate perfume and unique. Nothing else smells like this!

The classic fragrance of men....heavy, strong, masculine but not for all....on the right skin is fantastic, on the wrong skin is a total disaster. I would say for chaps above 35 years and not to be used in the summer. The shower gel and after shave balm are also fantastic.

guest_Rrajevv
guest_Rrajevv

Absolutely impressive and last for almost 12hrs ++... For best compliments on earth order it now.

guest_Paul
guest_Paul

Yes, it is hyper-masculine, yes it is very strong, yes it has monster sillage.

But, having in view it's high concentration, isn't it obvious that one should first put a minimal amount and then work one's way up to a decent quantity?

Why on Earth do people spray it like it's some weak watery Cool Aqua de Whatever Summer Light Edition Stratospheric Ray of Sunshine?

It's KOUROS, people!

guest_mark
guest_mark

The Eau de toilette bought as a gift for me in 1981. I have had more compliments on this spray than anything I've ever owned. The women absolutely love it. I absolutely love it. I'm not kidding...total strangers stop me and either say how good it smells or ask what its called and where they can find it. I've been using it since 1981. I bought 5 large bottles 4 years ago. Time to restock. It never goes bad. I guarantee if you buy this product...you will love it! I'm told it smells as nice at 5pm...as it did at 5am when I put it on. I hope they never stop manufacturing it.

lovescully
lovescully

Classic, masculine, powerful, one of a kind fragrance. Absolutely the best value for money male fragrance available. This will always be one of my favourites.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

This smells like what central Italy is all about in the middle of summer time. Truly classic.

For the ladies out there, if you try it then you're trying an amped-up version of the original Fendi for women.

Not for the meek.

scenturian
scenturian

I ll describe it by one word: "hypermasculine".
The most strongest and long lasting scent I ve ever known, absolutely a sillage monster.
It is normal that new generation hate it, in fact they cant understand it, because they were born into a world of simple and vanishing in a minute aquatix such as ADG etc. So their non-trained noses cant understand.
This is a beast for a real, brave and bold man!
Just 2 spritz enough for all day and night.

aromaminx
aromaminx

love it love it................or was it the man i was in 'infatuation' with as a young schoolgirl/teenager that i love{d}?

sexy real man kind of fragrance...certainly not for whipper=snippets

Happy Spirit
Happy Spirit

I've loved this scent ever since it came out in the 80s. Whenever I smell it, I have a compulsion to follow the guy wearing it (sneakily of course). That's how much power this scent has over me!

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Don't like although I'm sure that if applied sparingly it might work for some people. Call me crazy but I can smell a similar note of this cologne in Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamond. I couldn't put my finger on it right away, I kept smelling something masculine in White Diamond thn I realized these fragrances share similar notes like patchouli, cinnamon and jasmine perhaps why the resemblance.

ARAMIS
ARAMIS

I regret my previous review, I'd changed my mind. I love Kouros, and other YSL fragrances as Body Kouros and Opium!

Plus SCULPTURE ;)

RobbieX

A love or hate one this! I love it. Strong, lasts a long time, a unique smell - at its best when you smell a "waft" of this on the air rather than a direct smell on the skin. In my opinion it's a woody oriental but it's great stuff - watch out you don't overdo it! Smells fantastic on your clothes after 24 hours! One of the most masculine fragrances is the one and only KOUROS.

aFineNose
aFineNose

Handle with care! I found upon application it numbes your sense of smell so you feel inclined to apply more. Don't! It will enter any room well before you and will linger like the guest that will outstay his welcome like there's no tomorrow. Used in moderation it can be nice and seductive, but although it smells like a holiday in Greece, better not use it on hot days. And best not on hot summer nights, not even in Greece.

guest_Cristi
guest_Cristi

Best ever, long lasting, don't make the mistake to over spray, one puff is more than enough. The first time i bought it i did the mistake of 3 puffs and then went with the tube, it felt like all the people there looked at me it was too powerful. A bottle lasts more than a year using it almost daily. I recommend it! not only for over 40.... i have 24...

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Kouros is weird,wild,marble cold and spicy hot at the same time.

I absolutely adore the tarragon note.
It is rarely used lately...

I'm a woman, aged around 35 and I find Kouros off-putting. It keeps me at distance. No male attraction. Only a big stink. I blame it on artemisia and coriander which are pungent and revolting smells and they smell similar to some type of masculin sweat: the pungent one. I can't stand it. That's when I pass by a sweaty running man (especially youngsters) and even in open air my nostrils get pierced by that pungent acrid male sweat odour. Bad. There are other kinds of male sweat which smell better. I'm not saying that Kouros smells exactly like that kind of sweat, but it comes close, like a worked natural smell.
The ads are not so bad after all, but I'm interested in the juice.

To kittycat63...
Three women with whom I work love Kouros, one in fact indicated in humorous terms that I had better watch myself if I ever wore it. All of the women are in their 40's ... I can imagine that more mature women (as opposed to younger women) would tend to like this more. My daughter says it makes her gag, my wife is one of the few who has no strong feeling either way.

Kittycat63

Hmm, I just read Countbernadotte's review and I have to say it's a bit laughable!

According to him "The folks at Yves Saint Laurent conducted an extensive market study to find out what men’s scent most women consider as sexy and arousing. The specter of a man hard at work in the gym, perspiring and showing muscle strength came as the number one attribute of sex appeal, ergo, they went to work to reproduce the closest scent that would represent this sex appeal to women in a man’s fragrance.

If men find Kouros by YSL unattractive and disconcerting, it is because men’s perspiration does not, nor should it, arouse other men, whereas, the same scent drives women putts when they smell it on an attractive man.

This should not be interpreted that Kouros smells of men’s sweat, it doesn’t. The thing is: it is not the classic scent men had come to expect out of a fragrance. The masculinity is derived from deep, deep wood and animal scents, strong and overpowering. What remains to be an absolute fact is: it drives women week in the knees, very week in the knees, …… Very, very!"

I'm thinking that Countbernadotte must be working in cohoots with YSL and is desperately trying to convince gullible men into parting with their good money to buy the bottled stinkiness that is Kouros! I can't believe that any woman who is sane would be driven "putts" by an attractive man who is wearing this.

If anything, no matter how attractive a guy might be and how alluring a woman would find him I think any woman with good taste and a keen sense of smell would be running in the opposite direction if he stank of this! Also, yes a subtle smell of sweat can be sexy on a guy in some situations but reeking of B.O. is definitely a major turn-off!

I have to applaud Bamacharm's review of Kouros which I totally agree with and it made me laugh!

Kittycat63

ALL MEN READING THIS TAKE NOTE ...
KOUROS IS REVOLTING!!!!

I'm a girl (well, a woman actually!) and when I was a (little bit!) younger and more naive I was browsing in the perfume section of a department store and came across what I mistakenly thought was an interesting looking bottle of new perfume so I excitedly spritzed some on, only to recoil in absolute horror at the stinkiness that came out of that bottle! To my horror I realised it was actually a man's scent and it was KOUROS. My god, it was VILE with a capital V.I.L.E.!! Luckily, I was on my lunchbreak and my office was close by so when I got back I rushed to scrub it off my wrist but, to add insult to injury, I could not get rid of the stench so I had to endure it all afternoon and I was ashamed that everyone at work would think I smelled as horrible as I thought I did!! On top of that, it made me feel queasy so I spent the rest of the day trying not to inhale too much!

Anyway, to cut to the thrust (so to speak!), I know a bad smell when I smell it and Kouros has to be one of THE most disgusting and stomach churning smells I've ever come across. It's almost impossible to describe how awful it is, except that I found it very sterile and clinical smelling, almost antiseptic, and more like some industrial cleaner or something than a sexy man's scent! I definitely would not want to snuggle up and get close to a guy who was doused in this.

I agree with a lot of the reviewers on here that Kouros is definitely NOT for the faint hearted but I can only imagine any man who gravitates towards this thinking it's sexy and that it will lure women towards him is nasally impaired in a major way!

Anyway, one men's scent I can highly recommend, and which I think is EXTREMELY sexy, is Issey Miyake. Now that's lovely .. which is ironic because the female Issey Miyake scent is almost as disgusting as Kouros. What a shame! I'd actually rather wear the male one myself. Admittedly, it is a lot softer and maybe slightly more "feminine" in some ways than Kouros but that's not a bad thing and it smells very sexy and certainly catches my attention when a guy wears it!

empathyboy
empathyboy

It is 1988, I have just turned sixteen and I am on a plane headed for the Greek island of Kos for my first 'adult' foreign holiday. I look through the duty free magazine and make my first ever fragrance purchase. I have never smelt it before, I take a gamble on a bottle that looks a bit like the Greek architecture that I am headed towards. It even sounds a bit like the place I am going. Surely it has to be fate?

I have to say that my sixteen year old self loved the smell of Kouros. I thought it to be distinctive and clean smelling. An absolute perfect olfactory sound-track to my first coming of age beach holiday. Imagine, a day of swimming in Aegean waters and laying on the beach soaking up the sun's rays. Then a shower in the evening followed by a hefty dose of Kouros. Then out on the town to drink and flirt. I felt like the bee's knees and probably killed a few bees too from over application. For a good few months, I never smelt anyone else wear it and I always got compliments (mostly from older women) of how nice I smelt. Then I started to notice more and more people begin to wear it and I began to realise how potent this stuff really was. Subtle it is not. As I began to notice it's very distinctive scent on other people, I fell out of love with Kouros. It was like a beautiful girl who flirts with you and makes you feel like the only guy on the earth and then you one day find out she is the same with everyone.

I still have fond memories but this is one love affair I will never feel the need to re-visit. Oh, and in case you were wondering about that summer holiday... yes, I did ;)

bourbon108
bourbon108

I got a 1 mL tester of this along with my recent purchase of Body Kouros.

I really don't know what to think of it. I don't find it as immediately revolting as some do, but I'm certainly not crazy over it either. Unfortunately I do kind of pick up on that urinal cake scent that is sometimes mentioned.

One thing I do know is that I would not wear it in public. There's something just a bit wrong with this scent, but of course that's only my opinion.

One thing for sure, is that you should test this before buying -- this is not something to blind buy.

desmondorama
desmondorama

This is a classic, all-time, sexy, masculine fragrance that every man should have in his fragrance wardrobe.

Admittedly, it's part of the 80's Zeitgeist and some parfumistos may see it as a negative; but why has it so much appeal even until today, I ask?

I have just finished a precious bottle and looking out for another, as it's a wardrobe staple for me.

Long-lasting and great sillage. Wear this and know you're sexy.

It is definitely for a more mature-minded man and not for younger males who may enjoy wearing the lighter, 'fresher' versions of this iconic fragrance and other 'fresh' scents that are mass-produced for the youth market.

It's pure sex and not for the faint-hearted!

guynspfld

Truly Masculine.....So distinct and fresh......It was my first grown up colonge and I still wear it.....Compliments abound when I wear it. The longevity is the longest of any I have. When you people talk about classic fragrances this is the one I think of...Nothing compares

instantjim

I picked up a couple of 50mL bottles of the EDT that were being cleared (about $5 US ea) without smelling them - at that price why not. When I got home and tried it I was blown away. I love it - it is so rich. It lasts on me 6 or more hours. I made the mistake of applying 3 sprays when I first got it (as I do with some lesser fragrances) and found that waaay too much (my wife said "Don't use 3 sprays or you'll either give me a nose bleed or an asthma attack") - it reactivated on my skin as I was doing some public speaking and made me start to cough.

My wife likes it, my daughter says it makes her gag. This is definitely a masculine scent and probably my favourite - or at least top 5, it is a masterpiece.

renneyg007
renneyg007

Oh god, this is an all time favourite of mine. I remember being about 16 and smelling this, it was addictive. Hate to admit it but i would follow men wearing this despite my then tender years. Failing that i would spray it on myself for a fix. Its very pungent by today's standards but its one of the most recognizable scents. Complete turn on in a bottle....and yes for men not boys.

guynspfld

I love it...I remember buying a bottle in the early 90s when I was a teen....I could smell for days on my coat....I still wear it and the compliments pour in......It is very different and not that common anymore

cbstarker
cbstarker

Well, for those of you who love, or for those of you who want to experience this for yourselves, I have a bottle for sale. PM me and we can discuss. I had to try it myself and agree that it is both repulsive and a beautiful work of art. It may be the most impressive fragrance I've ever experienced but I don't ever want to wear it again. And I don't care how many women it is supposed to attract, I have plenty of others that also attract very well. Kouros anyone? I have a speeding ticket to pay...!

shamus1
shamus1

Yes indeed, Kouros is definitely the perfume you love or hate - there's no middle ground. I love it. I love it for the reason I love Yatagan - it's risky and utterly unconventional. It's got some beautiful citrus/floral top and heart notes (reminiscent of Caron's Troisieme Homme). But then there's the infamous and reviled base - a raunchy, filthy note that smells like sweat and a toilet full of turds. Yes, it sounds disgusting, but the combination of all the notes together creates a very virile, hot-blooded fragrance that only a man can pull off. I come from the school of thought that most fragrances are "unisex" (I hate that term), but I have a hard time imagining Kouros smelling good on a woman. Kouros is quite simply a manly fragrance. Beware, however, and apply it very sparingly - this stuff is so concentrated and loud that if you pour it on people within ten feet of you will be on their knees choking and begging you to leave the room. Worn sparingly, however, Kouros is a masterpiece.

For those of you who are fascinated with Kouros, but don't think you can wear it because it's too heavy, I would highly recommend Kouros Fraicheur, which is a lighter and brighter version of Kouros and is an outstanding alternative.

Trinity
Trinity

Yes, Countbernadotte is absolutely right! I couldn't not have described it better! Kouros is, next to Azzaro and Aramis, one of the best, sexiest and attractive male fragrances out there.

These 3 scents separate the men from the boys!

Personally, I want men to smell like men and not like women. A lot of male scents on the market today are overly sweet and (even) fruity….they might smell nice, but they are certainly not sexy.

guest_Luvadventure
guest_Luvadventure

Men, I'm a woman who loves good smelling men and I love Kouros, so does my sister. It does not smell like sweat to me, it's sexy and alluring - I agree with Countbernadotte on this - it makes me weak in the knees. Perhaps before you dismiss it so readily you should take a poll of the women you work with and in your life of what it smells like to them. It's my favorite men's scent and it's very seldom I come across a man who's wearing a scent I find attractive. What smells good to you does not necessarily translate into being alluring to a woman.

countbernadotte
countbernadotte

Men must view the appeal of any men’s fragrances with respect to their olfactory effect on women. Whenever Kouros is mentioned, I see too many heads shaking in denial, refusal and disbelief that it has merited any mention at all. Yet it’s almost insane spell on women who smell it on their men is beyond explanation!

However, from a man’s point of view, a woman’s fragrance should be feminine; that is sweet, sexy and fruity. If it is reminiscent of perspiration, it repels men regardless of how well it has been marketed as the quintessential feminine fragrance. The same logic should be applied on a man’s fragrance; if it appeals to women; that is feminine women, then it must be masculine. Kouros falls into this category; it is overtly masculine.

Women are aroused by a man’s sweat after a good work out in the gym. The odder of a man’s sweat, provided it is not a stench, is not offensive to women, in fact, studies have shown that women think of it as sexy and arousing; the whole mark of a man’s power and strength.

For those of you who still find it too strong, please refer to my article on Opium Pour Homme by Yves saint Laurent.

Toni Lop
Toni Lop

Smells much of musk amber ... very deep in sensation ... good for night wear ... for it gives a woody heavy smell to it leaving an elegant touch in you

Rockdj
Rockdj

a real masculine scent, i just love it it's simple it has an strong smell that u will never forget it, it get stuck in ur nose. the only fragrance that i like it from yves saint laurent. its a sophisticated compose hardly to describe but very pleasant to use it. is sexy and masculine at the same time and terrific long lasting!

dasa

hey slipcat, where did you hear that YSL dont produce Kouros anymore? It is one of the classics among parfumes, and it will be produced for many years to come. YSL would be crazy if they cease it from production, and I hope that day will never come.

dasa

This one is sooo strong... I had it and I will have it again. Really masculine and unique. Comments on Kouros are very different when I wear it; some girls love it, some find it repellant and vulgar. Whats important, is that I feel powerful when I wear it. And I like that feeling.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Outstanding in a sense there is nothing that smells like this! Very masculine and machismo.

Greek Gods would have smelled like that as it is THE bodybuilder fragrance and very 80ies! Still a classic and very suitable for very self confident men. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Claude Van Damme, or Tyson Beckford would smell like this. Very homo-erotic as well.

Fresh, citrus, soapy, white linen, white flowers, amber, and heaps of musk and civet....an aphrodisiac.

If you wear this on your first date, you will definitely end in bed, lol.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Inspired by the ancient Greece, this cologne came to symbolize strength and seduction, but it's a difficult fragrance, one of those that you either love or hate!

It’s contradictory and, at the same time it can be aggressive to others, tends to be sensual and hot for those who wear it. Its top notes are artemisia, coriander, bergamot and clary sage, while the heart is much more intense with notes of clove, cinnamon, geranium, jasmine, patchouli and vetiver. The base is the secret of this fragrance and its poignancy: amber, musk, oakmoss, vanilla and civet, pheromone of animal origin. The result is a strong aroma, sweet and animalic, which makes the Gods who live on Earth may have its own fragrance.

Not suitable for hot climates, because it will be a disaster. But it's a scent that generates eternal devotion and exudes and lasts under any condition.

suelle
suelle

Very masculine, but one of my favourites when I need to make an aura of strengt around myself. I'm a heartbraker wearing this one.
And it has all my favourite ingredients.

slipcat
slipcat

One of my all-time top colognes. This cologne got me a lot of "positive" attention from the women and was a great ice-breaker. I am very sad to hear that they no longer make it. Perhaps my highest recommended cologne.

guest_redwine
guest_redwine

I love to wear this and I am a woman...love fragrance with a bite..this has that , yet I find it kind also...very sensual...I am an American woman from Gerogia ! (I do weight train also!)

guest_desmondorama
guest_desmondorama

This is an all-time, sexy, masculine fragrance that every man should have in his fragrance wardrobe. Long-lasting and great sillage. Wear this and know you're sexy. Not for the faint-hearted!

Abbas
Abbas

one of the most aromatic and long lasting fragrance that is masculine and sex appealing.

quite differnt scent

elgab89
elgab89

Very masculine scent. Works great on a more mature man.

2007

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent 3.28 out of 5 based on 1703 ratings and 446 user reviews

Boots.com
KOUROS for MEN by Yves Saint Laurent EDT SPRAY 1.6 OZ
KOUROS for MEN by Yves Saint Laurent EDT SPRAY 1.6 OZ
Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Body Eau de Toilette for Men, 3.4 fl oz
Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Body Eau de Toilette for Men, 3.4 fl oz
Kouros Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent, 3.4 oz Energizing Eau De Toilette Tonique Spray for Men
Aftershave 3.3oz
Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Eau de Toilette Natural Spray 100ml
Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Eau de Toilette Spray, 3 fl oz
Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Eau de Toilette Spray, 3 fl oz
Gift Set 3.3oz
Kouros Gift Set by Yves Saint Laurent Gift Set for Men Includes 3.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray 3.3 oz Shower Gel

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Kouros fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Kouros, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.