Designers » T-Z » Woody Chypre « Groups

Kouros Fraicheur Yves Saint Laurent for men

Kouros Fraicheur Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

Kouros Fraicheur Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Kouros Fraicheur Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

Kouros Fraicheur by Yves Saint Laurent is a Woody Chypre fragrance for men. Kouros Fraicheur was launched in 1993. middle notes are pineapple and orange blossom; base notes are ginger, amber, patchouli and vetiver.

Pineapple Orange Blossom

Ginger Amber Patchouli Vetiver

Kouros Fraicheur Fragrance Reviews

jude1321
jude1321

This is great stuff. Very fresh and manly scent here, that is pretty hard to find. Nothing (absolutely nothing) is as good as the original Kouros, but this fresh version is totally worth getting and good for the summer time. High class this one.

georgequeue
georgequeue

I love Kouros because it's the fucking shit...It's the most delicious, mind-blowing fragrance that I've ever owned!!! I imagine Kouros Fraicheur is also deliciousness in a bottle, and it must be as good -some would say better- as the classic EDT.

Why do designer houses stop making these unique sublime fragrances and deprive us of such amazing olfactory treats? It beats me!

cytherian
cytherian

You either love Kouros or you hate it. There is seldom an in-between. But for those who feel Kouros is too difficult to bear or find themselves wishing for a lighter Kouros, Fraicheur is it.

Original Kouros is a beast. It is brash and in your face. However, after some hours it drifts into something more refined. It is an acquired taste, I'm sure. But worth it, IMHO. It speaks to me on a special level, like no other fragrance. Still, at times Kouros can be a bit much even for one who loves it.

Fraicheur steps in for relief with an echo of the original Kouros, but a much softer and gentler approach. It doesn't have the staying power of original Kouros, but then it's not meant to. I might be hard pressed to wear it on a hot summer day, but on more temperate days of the warm season its just fine.

Btw, I'd say that this a no-brainer alternative to the Kouros Eau de Sport (which I find to be a crippled original Kouros and not really worth bothering about). There are often small 10ml bottles of Fraicheur floating about on the "fleabay" market, so grab one and discover it for yourself.

9.5/10.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Sharp citrus and patchouli? With only tiny amounts of piss? Makes me think of A*Men Summer Flash or Ice*Men, but strangely leathery. I was pretty close to throwing out my sample, but I may have to try it out with different expectations. What bothers me is that it's soapy in a soap residue sort of way. If you could concentrate down the essence of the cheap crusty motel soap that you didn't manage to rinse off in the shower, this would be it. Still, I love how different it is from anything else I have. It's clearly a straightforward, professional masculine scent, even if it's still halfway stuck in the 70s. Maybe this is the holy grail for guys who like those old powerhouse scents, but want something more realistic and toned-down in the direction of Bulgari Pour Homme for the office? Merits more consideration.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Surprisingly it only took me a few days and I found this amazing fragrance!!! If you find the original Kouros old or out dated, the fraicheur version is PHENOMENAL. I ♡ the opening aroma with a powdery/sweet aromatic scent fab during the summer/fall months especially during the daytime!!
When I first sprayed it on my skin I could pick up a hint of pineapple loaded with patucchli making it ABSOLUTELY STUPENDOUS! Vetiver and orange blossom gives is a warm herbal aromatic aroma delicately balancing the overall aroma.
After several hours this juice settles I can still smell the powdery scent with amber which makes my partners hormones go wild.
Guy's, I'm not kidding women ♡ a sweet warm vib with a hint of spicy notes against a man's body...this juice does exactly that.
Longevity and Silage are both very high quality lasting at least 6hrs hours. I can still pick up a whiff 2hrs hours more.
Overall view,
YSL has created several FABULOUS fragrance, Kouros fraicheur has to be in the top 5 of this powerhouse. This is a no brainer...PERFECTION from YSL

ahnafuz
ahnafuz

it is very similar to 'dunhill' pour homme and somewhat like ck'obsession'. i dont like it at all , it is very sharp and old fashioned as if from 70's.

marioman
marioman

"Freshness,comfort, well-being...The perfect balance between a fresh start and sensual harmony(Aromatic,woody and ambered notes)." -as described on old box.

Yes,indeed.When starts on my skin feel very fresh and like just after shaving on early summer morning.But after few hours when the sun is going sleep this scent reminds me that have older brother and his name is Kouros.
Its still kouros but lighter, that you can wear this with comfort and confidence all day from spring to fall i think. Good to have one, even if hard to find.

Deniro98
Deniro98

Truly the Fraicheur is much better than the original Kouros, It is more fresh and citric with a sweet touch of vanilla and less musky than the old version. It is just lovely and casual man fragance, perfect for summer time!!

Brenao
Brenao

This is not a summer fragrance, but a soft kouros, what doesn't mean soft qhen compared to others fragrances, the best part of regular Kouros, the base. So discreet like a peacock.

Jwaks
Jwaks

I have yet to sample the original and it's with great pleasure I sample this gentle giant. All the happy Kouros bashing kept me from trying just about anything bearing the name save Body Kouros, which should have a totally different name. Now, I put all that aside and let the happy kouros bashers have their milquetoast scents.

I'm pretty damn sure more notes are in this bad boy versus the notes list. Ginger, clove, smooth patchouli and a bit of fruit like slightly sour bergamot and pineapple come together in a pretty pleasing opening. It hints at something wild and animalistic while staying pretty clean and refreshing. Honey, hints of powder, something spicy, perhaps clove or nutmeg and a light scent or floral shaving foam form the heart. Fruity top notes have nearly faded to nothing and pop in and out. That wild, animilistic note coupled with ginger lends an almost citrus and sour BO vibe without being musky or offputting. Powder and patch take hold on the drydown with just a touch of dry amber.

Versus modern designer scents, it's fairly strong and long lasting even if it's a 'dialed down' version of the original. And I'm damn impressed. It's unique, deep, complex and very wearable. It stands alone with a fierce and clear masculine identity in a sea of effeminate and shy modern day male fragrances. If kouros is the epitome of masculinity then this is testosterone "light," bottled.

acronia_1989
acronia_1989

»lovely,Fresh and high quality for summer.

ginger and Pineapple scents is intensive.

9.5 /10 !

+ + +

michael.j
michael.j

I wish this one were the original Kouros. The balance of the ingredients is pitch-perfect. I love the original, but this one is much better. It's deep and rich, but still very light on its feet. This achievement is simply remarkable. This is one of the frags that I really wish I had stocked up on. I remember very fondly where I bought this in '95: Saks on Fifth Ave. I got so many complements on it. This was before I really got into collecting. I'm more aware now of the occasional need to hoard certain frags.

ericrico
ericrico

A lot of fantastic comments, reviews and perspectives here. I will adorn this. It is, absolutely and truly, "Fraicheur". The melodic tonality of the ginger, pineapple and orange blossom create a gorgeous, radiant and amazingly fresh top layer that is ethereal over green and herbaceous patchouli and sharp, crisp vetiver. The amber is warm underneath - not cloying and allows this breathe on your skin, acting as a true base layer. However, this is much more than that...

I, personally, love this. Vintage Kouros is dear to me - and this is discontinued and rare as well! It will be worn on occasion, when the mood is right...or when I need to get into the right mood. Sensual aromatherapy in a beautiful flacon.

The scent pyramid here is not complete - what is listed exists, but there is simply more. This actually has a lot of the notes of Vintage Kouros in a lighter, more crisp and ethereal composition. As this dries down, one will find, in a light, airy essence...the light musk, civet, and gorgeous base of Vintage Kouros (but, with a soft breeze infused, therefore "cleaner" and wonderfully integrated). It is rich, but not nearly as strong as the flagship, but it carries the pedigree. That is what is so amazing. It shows on top and in the heart the amazing freshness and beauty, but dries down to reflect both what is listed here and the nuances and undertones of Kouros (just not as strong). Longevity is extremely good, if not excellent, for a fresh scent.

To my friend, krmarich - indeed, they do not make them like this anymore. It is stunning and near perfection in a bottle! As much as I deeply love and have a fondness for Vintage Kouros, this bottle surpasses any and all expectations. It presents itself, brilliantly!

Let this be for those who "know"...to savor and enjoy the last drops in existence. Cheers.

This is similar to the original but lighter, as others have said. I like it but I find it difficult to wear, I think because of how dense it is, creating a creamy patchouli oriented accord I dislike. I do like Joint for Men, which is similar but not as dense. It's also got a dry tobacco aspect that provides some relief and counterpoint. I don't think there's nearly as much honey in this one, relative to the original, so that may be another reason to seek it out.

mohanad
mohanad

Kouros fragrance is very beautiful and men with a special kind of smell Tnashk and Men in 100 100

Kannantas
Kannantas

Rare Notes & very good for men. You spray & go into crowed, everyone will smell only u. Its strong and very smooth. If you want to be noticed in the crowed, Then go for it. I LOVE IT

queops
queops

very chypre woody and greenish,i like this mix...pineapple,neroli,vetivert as woods and moist moss

krmarich
krmarich

This is my holy grail from YSL. I searched for years and then in 2009, found a bottle. Ah, the day I graduated from college I wore Kouros and thought, what next? I had a friend who lavished in this. I stole a spray and thought this was the where I needed to be. I was into other lighter offerings at the time and waited like a fool!

Imagine Kouros with no civet and the neroli/oakmoss turned up! This was too good to be true, indeed. It was paradise in a bottle and took my favorite to a cooler, cleaner place. This was the first flanker and only that was better than the original. I can only think of swimming pools and summer sunshine when I give a greedy spray. On the gloomiest, snowy day it brightens my mood. They just dont make 'um like this anymore. A stunning masterpiece!

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

I rarely wear YSL Kouros Fraicheur these days, but when I do it's like "Ahhhh, why do I ever wear any other cologne?". Maybe I'll give this one a go more often but I don't want to use it up.

I have a half full 3.3 ounce bottle that I mistakenly bought about 14 or 15 years ago thinking I was getting original Kouros. It STILL smells as good as it ever did. Quality never goes out of style. Unfortunately this one is out of production. I love the original Kouros as well, but there's something a little more pleasant about Fraicheur. It's definitely the tamer(cleaner) of the two although they are very, very similar.

There's not a lot more that can be said about these scents that hasn't been said already. You either love it or hate it. I consider myself fortunate to have it and love it. Both of these are fresh fragrances that don't smell like fruit or the sea or water or . . . you know, acqua this or acqua that. YSL Kouros Fraicheur is an excellent choice for hot summer days.

ION
ION

"Kouros fraicheur" was great!
In "poche parole', it was "Kouros at its friendlier and fresher, it really did the original justice while holding its own (so rare!).
For some men that was the way to go, a greater alternative to a strong classic.
Until recently, I had a 2/3 full bottle of this perfume in my drawer and I can confirm the smell had stayed true, so if you find a used one somewhere I suggest you get it (some bottles however, did have a problematic spray mecchanism where you first had to spray and then apply the perfume by rubbing the flowing drops from the glass bottle onto your skin).
My opinions about the numerous reincarnations of "Kouros Fraicheur" followed over the years are mixed, but I do know that this one is a lovely perfume!

Heverton
Heverton

This one was hard to review. I just know that it opens with a very strong citrus tone, fading over time to a more dated soapy smell. After 5 hours, the smell was kind good, but I cannot imagine using it yet. In an older gentleman, this one would be an excellent choice.

Kouros fraicheur has an indisputable quality factor into it, I do not deny that.

Nothing much to say about Kouros Fraicheur as basically this composition does what the label says. Don't get me wrong, this is not a Kouros "sporty" edition neither an "aquatic" version. It's instead a slightly smoothered Kouros (yet mantaining all of its hallmarks) enriched with pineapple in the opening and with a gentler drydown. Simply amazing!

Grottola
Grottola

Yes indeed, Kouros Fraîcheur is a fresher and lighter version of Kouros. The opening is a bit harsh on my skin; the mixture of civet and pineapple isn't the most pleasant (pineapple is among my least favorite fragrance notes) and can smell kinda sour. Yes, the urinous civet is still present here, although tolerable and starts to become barely noticeable at all once this begins drying down. The "sour" smell also goes away within a few minutes.

To me Kouros Fraîcheur is a wonderful fresh, soapy version of Kouros, free of any off-putting notes to turn people away, except for the first few minutes. Gives off an "Irish Spring" vibe, similar to that of Sung Homme by Alfred Sung, just not as obnoxious. The patchouli in the base is great, too - it blends perfectly with the citrus and vetiver. The sillage and longevity are also very good, as I can get anywhere from 8 to 10 hours out of Kouros Fraîcheur.

It's such a shame that Kouros Fraîcheur had to be discontinued. It fetches for high prices nowadays online and is getting harder and harder to find... if you have the chance to try it, or you're a fan of Kouros, most certainly try this. A good example of what a "fresher" flanker or "sport" version should be.

BIG
BIG

if testosterone had a smell, it would be this fragrance. i'm pretty sure if ladies would get a whiff of this scent, they would definitely get a tickle down their toes or get a weakness in their bodies.
I found it arousing!

Cassiano
Cassiano

Talk about this one is too easy!

Do you know the aroma of the traditional Kouros after 2 hours (at least) on the skin? So...this is exactly the Kouros Fraicheur smell.

It hits on the skin smoother, less aggressive. For those who hate traditional Kouros and only make compliments about its smell after hours of being applied, this is the solution.

One more time, YSL made a wonderful job bringing this “fresh” version, without losing the original dna.

guest_Philou
guest_Philou

Yep yep very difficult to find indeed! I first got to know Kouros Fraicheur as a teenager when it came out. A friend of mine had the original one which I thought was way too strong and not that wearable for a teenager. When I realized YSL stopped producing the fraicheur I went for the original one by default and to this day I still think it's too strong. But it's OK now because there's a 100ml of Kouros Fraicheur on its way to my mailbox! Can't wait!

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

I have to agree with fotolux. The best way to describe this rare and discontinued fragrance is like this: imagine the traditional Kouros; if you like it but you think it's too strong, well, then Kouros Fraicheur is your best bet. It's just like the traditional one, but smoother and more wearable.

Unlike Kouros' summer editions, which tend to be aquatic interpretations, Kouros Fraicheur holds all the main components of Kouros.

fotolux
fotolux

Very difficult to find this rare item but I find it and very happy!!! IT`s lighter and more wearable version of Kouros.
I like it because I like the original, so I'll give it thumbs up.Why this scent is no longer widely available?
If you like the original but can't wear it because of the strength, search for this and get it. A real gentleman's fragrance and a classic.

Kouros Fraicheur by Yves Saint Laurent 4.22 out of 5 based on 103 ratings and 28 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Fraicheur fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Fraicheur, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Kouros Fraicheur by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Kouros Fraicheur by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.