Designers » T-Z » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

I have it: 760 I had it: 145 I want it: 606 My signature: 13

oud
La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. La Collection M7 Oud Absolu was launched in 2011. Top note is mandarin orange; middle note is patchouli; base notes are french labdanum, myrhh and agarwood (oud).

Mandarin Orange

Patchouli

French labdanum Myrhh Agarwood (Oud)

M7

La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Fragrance Reviews

ConsumerThis
ConsumerThis

This really is a great fragrance guys. I blind bought it of course as I wasn't about to blind buy the discontinued version that people want to charge ridiculous prices for.
I was expecting something more "wood" like or like Tom Ford Oud wood for some reason. It's a sweet and dark fragrance. The Oud is not too loud or anything. We are all created different and our noses can pick up certain notes in a different way so this is all subjective of course. If I am going to take someone's opinion serious, I look at their scent wardrobe of course, just like if I was going to get a tattoo I would look at the artists portfolio naturally.
When I read someone got a powder note that was overwhelming after the fact I ordered it, I started to get worried. I got it, sprayed it and no powder of course.
What I do smell though, is a great blast of patchouli and some Oud and other dark woods lightened up with some sweet Amber and maybe a little vanilla.
I think I got very lucky with my blind buy.
I would recommend this fragrance to a dark and mysterious fragrance enthusiast
i give this an overall 8/10
If you would like me to do a full review of this on my YouTube channel, ConsumerThis, I will. Just let me know .

Freedomlover
Freedomlover

For me nothing compares to the vintage first formulation of M7 the all Amber dark bottle. Simply stunning and unique. Lucky i have lots of bottles to last me many years. The new M7 is still nice but no where near as deep and intense.

rakan1985
rakan1985

scent : 8/10
sillage : 8/10
longevity :8/10
100% night fragrance

Chambery
Chambery

Very classy scent! One for special occassions at work or play. This is still one of my Top 5 favs. Lasts quite long throughout the day for me. Easily recommended.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Competent reformulation of M7!
Differences are minimal and combined with other chords.
What I feel difference to the original is that this one has less amber sweet touch, myrrh appears that combined with other chords tries to bring that touch of amber, almost get there, but it is less creamy and a bit dry and dark, has a touch of oil almost smoky this note and a little rubbery.
Really almost it comes to amber, but also appears patchouli drying that leaves more woodsy but as not to get too earthy, but certainly a great substitute to M7.

MetalMan
MetalMan

It is another week at a mindless job - still no word on my interview and I am losing sleep in waiting. Well, I can at least fragrance my being with something transcendental - something like YSL M7 Oud Absolu!

I have actually smelled the original version of M7 and it's fresh version - I can firmly say that this is definitely in the same family and I enjoy it just as much as the original! I am a sucker for powder notes and myrrh, which this has in droves, so that may have influenced my opinion in comparison to the original. This beast starts with a crisp citrus note smashed against the very potent oud wood note - dense, dark, and a little smoky - this quickly shifts to an oud and powder combo that softens and sweetens over time. The myrrh starts to stir around an hour or so (this smells quite like the myrrh accord in Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum) and it mixes beautifully with the powder note and the waxing and waning of the earthen patchouli note. There has to be some amber in the base because the fume carries a resinous sweet powder note that just gets sweeter and warmer with time. The end of the journey is just a slightly quieter mid phase - sweet myrrh and powdery amber! I would suggest using this only on cold and wet days - the powder note gets a tad stifling in the heat! I also feel that this is a gender bender as the amber and powder notes would be gorgeous on anyone. Well, I hope the daily grind doesn't steal the show away from your beautiful fuming!

Day 44 - The days go on
Listening to: Agnes Obel - Dorian (Daniel Matz Rework)

Zaca
Zaca

When I ordered a decant of M7 Oud Absolu I expected it to be a shadow of the original vintage M7. I was very pleasantly surprised: to my nose Oud Absolu is at least 85% similar to the original. You still get that unmistakeable cherry cough syrup note with an oud background.

The differences: Oud Absolu does not have the longevity of the original nor does it feel quite as rich or deep. You may not notice this straight away but after about 20-30 minutes it becomes clear. There is also a gasoline note in there a la Fahrenheit, which I did not get in the original. The base notes almost have the suggestion of a light incense.

If you're a collector or obsessed with vintage M7, hunt down the original. If you'd like to smell like you're wearing M7 but you're not a completionist and don't feel a compulsive desire for the original, M7 Oud Absolu will do just fine. A very good fragrance in its own right - and kudos to Yves Saint Laurent for listening and bringing M7 (even if it is not a 100% dupe) to a new generation of fans.

aalbertoii
aalbertoii

If my house was on fire (god forbid) this would be one I would run in for... I've tried the original M7 which is a BEAST!!! and compared to this one, the only difference to me is the opening. The O.G. M7 has this powerful opening which I loved but as it dries down (about an hour) it gets hard to tell which is which.. but if you love oud you have to get your hands on this...

Francoparfum
Francoparfum

I love this... this was my first oud-focused perfume and it is one of the best.

It is deep, serious, yet fun. It feels middle-eastern and it is ideal for colder Autumn days. It is resinous, a bit sweet, and has a bit of sharpness and bite to it.
Super well balanced. One of my favourite if not my favourite YSL perfumes!

Score: 89.4%
Proverbs 27:9

masak389
masak389

When the directors of the YSL signature (Loreal fragrances division ) launched M7 OUD ABSOLUE, they really were not trying to revive the original M7 , but they were trying to market something that taking M7 as a starting line, try to create something in the same direction and at the same time try to adapt it to the restrictions and marked regulations by IFRA . All the original M7 lovers thought it was such a sacrilege. And soon after I thought: why ? They are only trying to complain what they can with the actual permissible concentrations ,and it always can be worse ... and indeed it is: Now we have the new reformulation: The new full clear glass bottle to see that if something seems wrong , it always can be worse.

LerouxC
LerouxC

DO NOT BUY THE CLEAR NEW BOTTLE! It is an absolute watered down crap scent compared to the original M7 Absolu with the black plastic body. The loud amber back tone has been removed and the entire scent smells like an indian spice shop with a lingering dirty teabag note. Waste of a space of perfume. It is now a total skin scent, no projection whatsoever. If the batch code says 2016 and onward it is the clear bottle filled with sh*t.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

On me Oud Absolu has quite the tenacity. Yes, it does stay close to the skin. It doesn't have the sonic sillage of an Al-Rehab Oud Attar. I didn't expect it would but wanted something to fall between that and what I don't even consider agarwood in my Jovan Oud .. that is more just a nice woodsy. I did spray about 2X more M7 than recommended .. 3 times covering my entire torso and once over the shoulder. It wasn't overbearing at work. Hours later I could still detect it. That's right about when Oud Absolu showed its claws. It started to not feel heavy but somehow dense. Not at all unpleasant but I felt I'd had enough for the day. Tried to layer some others over it to balance, soften, change and/or mute. This was relatively unsuccessful. M7 Oud Aboslu stood its ground as it had done all day, not overbearing but clearly the dominant smell. This may be the definition of strong but gentle. I very much like this bottle and find it an excellent contribution to the Oud genre. To me,this isn't about something that was trendy for Westerners. This is a basic and staple in Middle Eastern perfumery and I consider it much more important than some trend of which to complain that I'm tired of seeing being used. Yves Saint Laurent really scored in the less than popular dept here as it did with Kouros.

impressedguy
impressedguy

Back in 2002 I can still remember the fuss about the M7 release: Tom Ford's involvement, the naked advertisement, the unusual oud smell... I remember testing the perfume back then, when it was first released, I can hardly recall its smell but I remember thinking that the smell was weird and quite nothing like I had smelled before! It was hard to appreciate M7 back then though, I was just 22 and on the ride of Le Male, Givenchy Pi and Moschino Uomo perfume trend.

So it's quite hard to compare the smell of the old M7 with the one of Oud Absolu. All I can say is that Oud Absolu is an amazing, unusual and very masculine perfume. I really get hints of cherry syrup smell in it and I love it, I still don't get the Oud Wood similarity that many have mentioned here, it smells completely different to me. Oud Absolu has a great longevity but a quite moderate sillage. I also have to mention that quite weirdly enough, even though I adore this perfume, I have never got any compliments for it.

So, if you think about owning this one, all I have to say is go for it! It is not a perfume for everybody, it is quite weird and maybe a love it or hate it kind of perfume, but after all there is so much history here!

PS: I still don't get why they changed the bottle. No more black sides and silver letters on it, just a clear bottle, which is quite boring and uninteresting. Still the same juice in it though.

Fishcadillac
Fishcadillac

I'm writing a review based off of the clear bottle. it's not a full review just an impression. I do have the bottle, but just got it last night and I like to share what I think of it initially. for me, this smells similar to the dry down of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (the green juice). If you take that myrh dry down and add oud, you get this. it's not a beast in terms of projection. it sits close to the skin. it's masculine for sure. i have a hard time determining which season to wear this since its kind of a light woodsy scent, it almost seems like it can be worn in the 70-80 Fahrenheit range, but you might want something fresher for anything warmer than that.

gatsby
gatsby

@markowilson maybe you got a fake, or, in the best case, the new formulation. The first M7OA has a great sillage and longevity. Old M7OA it is powerful, mysterious, with the same vibe and effect with the first M7, 99% the same. Rumours says that this one will be soon discontinued as well...who knows. Anyway, a very good and distinctive one in the world of oud and definitely a worth. The review is for the old M7 Oud Absolu, with the black labeled bottle, in production until 2014-2015. The clear bottle in production now is a bad reformulation, with a cheap vibe, poor longevity and totally different drydown. LOreal is cutting everithing to save money. Including the quality.

BeOrtega
BeOrtega

the famous YSL - M7 Absolu is a niche smelling scent with a designer scent price that has moderate projection and average longevity

M7 Absolu is mysterious sexy and dense which is best suited for a mature individual who’s looking to smell great during those cold months

its nicely blended but that amazing opening that reminded me so much of tom fords - oud wood (but with a dirty vibe from the patchouli) was short lived because after about a hour it turns into a powdery scent with hints of incense and vanilla

even tho i like this i would have only bought it if i never discovered oud wood but since i found that gem first ill have to pass on this

try this one on for size because you may just like it more then me :)

on to the next

ps the bottle design is to notch and collection worthy

Ramy salah
Ramy salah

Good one didn't put my nose on the famous M7 but if longevity was better and silage , it would definitely be one of the best perfumes

Maxvonembs
Maxvonembs

This review is for the latest clear bottle.

I love and own the original version and all subsequent versions of M7, they are all excellent, let no one tell you otherwise.

M7 oud absolu is a wonderful fragrance. Very much like Tom Ford oud wood. I have worn each one side by side for an entire day and they are VERY similar including their respective performance, with a slight nod to oud wood for better performance, very slight.

M7 oud absolu is 85% or more similar to my vintage m7 and at least equal to the first reformulation in terms of overall quality.
Even the vintage M7 was no powerhouse fragrance on my skin, good performance, YES. Outstanding like vintage Fahrenheit, NO, not even close. Others may experience a different outcome. My pale German skin soaks up the juice, so perhaps this is a factor.

The ultimate skin scent M7 Oud Absolu becomes is unique and wonderful. Certainly in my top 10.

8/10 overall.

MindyMe
MindyMe

This is lovely. A wonderful incense and beautiful soft oud. I find it is a masculine scent (I'm a woman). I tried it as there were comparisons made between the original M7 which I have not been able to find to test and Thierry Mugler's Mirroir des Voluptes which is one of my favourite perfumes and my main introduction to oud.
The oud here is not nearly as pronounced as in Thierry Mugler's Mirroir des Voluptes. In M7 Oud Absolu it's the incense that really shines for me. I do find it a little too masculine for me and the time it takes to get to the part I really like in the dry down is just too long. The longevity is truly amazing, the part I love is 10 to 15 hours after having applied (thus the futility of getting it for myself).
That said, it is a masculine fragrance and a darn fine one too!! I'm considering getting it for my husband so that I can selfishly enjoy it.

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

I've been lusting after a sniff of the original M7 for ages. Thanks to a generous fellow New Zealand fragrance fan, I was able to get my nose on a sample decant of the first version. Holy wow, sensational!

Without the mega-bucks expense required for a bottle of the 2002 juice, the next best thing is the reissued, reformulated M7 Oud Absolu. And it’s damn good stuff!

Now that I’ve had multiple wearings of the original, I can see where they differ. Yes, the first incarnation has a few extra shades in the depth department – it’s more nuanced and has better development. The original's opening is bolder and it lasts longer.

As for M7 Oud Absolu, it’s faithful to its forefather. I’d say it’s about 95% the same in terms of overall smell. It loses points for performance. I get a solid 5 hours from the new brew with a decent scent halo for around 2 hours. But I’m okay with that because the scent itself is quite simply stunning.

AdamFElix
AdamFElix

Review of the new clear bottled version.

The fairly good opening should last longer. It lasts about 30 minutes and then dies down to a synthetic and boring skinscent base of powder and some sort of vanilic note, not vanilla.
The fragrance is good for such a short amount of time, that I'll have to click the dislike button.
I've tried to enhance the notes with essential oils. Mandarine, patchouli, myrrh, and rosemary. Patchouli oil seems to better the fragrance a little. I'm not sure about the other oils.

Some reviewers wrote that Nasomatto Duro is a concentrated version of M7 (original). I can certainly say that Duro DO NOT bare any resemblance to M7 Oud Absolu (clear bottle)

Do not recommend.

ausamamira
ausamamira

the beginning is somewhat medicinal and syrupy. don rush...wait until it calms down a little bit and enjoy the subtle woody-oud-vanillic classy smell ....

however, i think it is overpriced ....

landshark321
landshark321

YSL M7 Oud Absolu is a citrus/powder/incense mix that works as an oddly refined winter scent, probably for both men and women. It opens with a blast of mandarin and ends up smelling like a mix of labdanum and myrrh. Definitely a powder bomb, at least to me, though not with the rubbery or leather element of, say, Midnight in Paris, but with an earthy aspect. Definitely an easily wearable incense fragrance. It doesn't involve a ton of development, but the projection and longevity are strong for an EDT. At under $60 for 80ml, its value is decent, as well, given the refinement, as this can certainly be dressed up for winter nights.

7 out of 10

Bbjr
Bbjr

@bobmarley; enough with the the sales pitch on the vintage m7. I think everyone on the planet is aware that you have some for sale. It's getting annoying.

raef_sherif
raef_sherif

a great stylish fragrance

aLmoravado
aLmoravado

Being surrounded by oud oils and fragrances, I don't like the 'oud' note in this fragrance at all... The blend may get somewhat better later on, but I still didn't like the fragrance. I am trying to make myself like it, but I couldn't succeed so far.

GodKing
GodKing

@Bob Marley haven't you been asked to stop schlocking your wares and polluting the fragrance review forums. This is a rhetorical question because you have been--several times--so please, Stop it! As you know, there are other, more appropriate forums, for posing fragrances for sale or swap. If everyone could please continue do dislike Mr. Marley's retail posts and make them disappear, that would be greatly appreciated. I will delete my "non fragrance review" post once his solicitation post below disappears. Apparently he is smoking too much ganja to abide by the rules or show common courtesy to other members. Thanks!

abderrahim
abderrahim

IT has nothing like the original M7 but a well blended fragrance with the mandarin note.

Ravenwind
Ravenwind

A 8 of 10, but not as advertised. Like some other reviewers indicated, Oud is not the main player in this scent at all, but plays a distant background note, along with the patchouli. It is much much more mandarin & myrrh up front, with some additional sweetness to it that I can't identify (the labdanum?). So, if you are looking for an Oud based scent, keep looking. I must admit though, it has a unique profile unlike anything else in my large collection and it stands on its own. Longevity, maybe 3 hours on my skin.

markowilson
markowilson

Just used this today, brand new bottle, is it just me but this lasted 1 hour then zip, nothing at all, huge disappointment and waste of money

Quillion
Quillion

Very strong dirty earthy patchouli and oud fragrance with synthetic mandarin on the top.

Sometimes smells like artificial flavored raspberry licorice on me for some reason.

I only need 2 sprays max with this, it's potent.

Having trouble picturing a setting or situation where I would wear this.

It's beautiful but it's not my style at the moment.

Update: My opinion about this scent is changing rapidly, I sprayed some on last night and woke this morning to the nicest smell. I'm not a fan of the opening but afterwards, man, it's lovely...

Next time I wont be so fast to judge.

alxkwst1996
alxkwst1996

I really like this one. I can definitely detect some of the original M7 in this. M7 on me comes off a little more dryer wheras Oud Absolu has more weight behind it. With the discontinuation of the original, in my opinion Oud Absolu is not that bad of a substitute.

My Rating: 9 out of 10

K1
K1

This is absolutely not M7, an approximate replica of an oud-spinning masterpiece like M7. Why it's not M7, because of a pungent risky ingredient as patchouli. M7 Oud Absolu opens with sugary vegetal sweet theme allied with barnyard oud (consider that M7 presents it medicinal not animalic).

As it goes the oud, sweet, fat and colossal, intensifies. Oud Absolu, unlike dusty dry M7, is a sweet and slightly yummy offset of patchouli and oud. Vibes of vetiver exist but not that high, and the base surprisingly goes with rigid dose of Iso E Super which is quite a big shock! An unfit fresh dusty woody theme for such warm mood.

Oud Absolu is punchy and strong. Close to skin you get the differences but in general, people definitely think you're wearing M7. High longevity high projection.
★★★

این عطر مسلما همون ام سون قدیم نیست، یه بازسازی نزدیک از یه عطر عودی معرکه مثل ام سون میشه بهش گفت. چرا ام سون نیست، بخاطر اون نعنا هندی شدید و ریسکی. خیلی روی لبه وایساده. ام سون عود ابسولو با تم شکری و گیاهی شروع میکنه که موازی با عود حیوانی حرکت میکنه. دقت کنین که عود ام سون مشهور بود به بوی شربت سینه اما حیوانی نبود. این یعنی این دو عطر از دو نوع متفاوت عود دارن استفاده میکنن

هر چی ادامه میده عودش شیرین و چرب و حجیم میشه. عود ابسولو بر عکس ام سون خاک خورده، برداشتی شیرین و کمی خوشمزه از پچولی و عود هست. نشانه هایی از وتیور هم وجود داره، نه چندان قوی، و لایۀ آخر عطر میره به طرف آیزو ای سوپر که با در نظر گرفتن گرمای اول کار شوکه کننده هست

عود ابسولو قدرتمند و بُرنده هست. نزدیک به پوست بوی متفاوتی از ام سون داره اما دیگران مطمئنا فکر میکنن شما ام سون زدین. موندگاری بالا و نشر بالا
★★★

biscuitdough
biscuitdough

When I first tried this, there were hints of citrus and patchouli, and the resins were drier and more incense-like. The current formula is all sticky sweet freshly-cut branches and maple syrup. It's bad. I actually hate it.

gedlive

M-7 Fresh was the fragrance that got me started 18 months ago. Then I sought out M-7 OA. Loved it for a long while, it was Winter, best time for this one.

Then it seemed a bit strange smelling, and could only enjoy it occasionally. Once you have not smelled it for a while and come back to it you can love it again.

I thought I would not repurchase this and moved it to my had list. I put it back into my collection and it will stay there, as I am realy appreciating the powerful rich woodyness. It developes and becomes creamy smooth in the mid.

It is not a versatile fragrance or signature, but it is nice to wear from time to time in Autumn and Winter months. It is very warm, the deepest essence of wood.

It has a nice Labdanum note from which Amber is made. Amber being a main note of the original. The best Oud fragrances are not Oud dominant, like Tom Ford Oud Wood or Creed Royal Oud.

Note: I am bidding on the 2008 2 nd edition M-7. The Oud Absolu has that cherry caugh syrup vib also, I hope the vintage 2nd formulation is a marked improvement over OA, at the prices we pay. It will be good to have a modern YSL classic, that will last me many years, as I can go to the current less expensive version, OA, and use my vintage sparingly.

I will post my vintage M-7 review shortly.

Rating: 8.75/10

God bless. John 3:16.

Neo Ramaphoko
Neo Ramaphoko

Very expensive and worth the price , two sprays and lasted for 12+ I'm extremely delightful with this one and way better than la nuit

Strappyshoo
Strappyshoo

This is beautiful. So beautiful in fact that I tried it in the shop, fell in love, liberally applied five squirts and bought a bottle on the spot. Unfortunately by the time I'd got home half an hour later I couldn't smell it. At all. And neither could anyone else. The unopened bottle is being returned today. I will just have to remember fondly the 20 minutes of joy it gave me!!!

NicheMaster29
NicheMaster29

I have been looking and reading about this fragrance for a long time now. I never smelt the original version. But here's a version that a lot of reviewers state it's just as good , not as good or better than the original so I took my chances and just blind bought it. I've been doing pretty good with my blind buys recently. I would say at least a 78 % success rate.
This as a fragrance is very nice. I don't get a powdered smell at all
It's definitely oud but has a certain smell to it
Definitely masculine
Sweet Amber citrusy type oud
Great longevity and projection
It does have that "I've smelled this before" nostalgia to it
Worth a try full bottle worthy imo due to its price point

Dark-X
Dark-X

As a current owner of the original M7 (100 ml, amber colored from the front only, not the all around), I prefer M7 Oud Absolu (this one) to the one I currently have.

They are both great but there is a reason the original commercially failed & was discontinued; it was too heavy & woody, it took a while before it reached the most pleasuring part of its smell.

Absolu cuts all that & you get the beautiful essence of the original directly.

==================

Absolu has 5 notes in total.

Original has 7 notes.

They both share the oud & mandarin notes.

However, the original was laden with more heavy woody notes: amber, vetiver, rosemary, & musk.

Whether on its own or as a tribute the old M7, Absolu is absolutely wonderful!

alexiou
alexiou

This is a more wearable edition of the original M7.Don't get me wrong cause both are excellent perfumes but for someone who finds the original edition too aggressive or can't stand the smokiness from the nuclear-blast Oud note,then Oud Absolu edition is the solution ,cause is the same theme with the first one but somehow toned down.

Apart from that is also very difficult to find the first edition in the greek market ,so i will keep the rest of the original M7(sadly only a little amount is left in the bottle) only for very special occasions.Both versions can be worn from my point of view in formal situations , going out for a night in a club or simply for a dinner.For every day use i would not recommend this one ,except you are very cautious with the atomiser spray.

Althought both are of eau de toilette concentration,i can say with no doubt that they behave more in an eau de parfum way. The ambery-like Oud note ,which is significant from the first moments of the application ,dominates the whole composition but changes drastically while the perfume dries down.What is left after the middle phase is a pleasant sweet and bitter note from the Oud - Patchouli and mandarin note-combination.The Myrrh note gives an incence-like tone to the composition and just play a secondary role to the perfume. M7 is very special and weird(in a good way)aroma.Is the scent of huge contrasts and of complex evolution, although M7 consists of only a few notes.

AlmalkiJeme
AlmalkiJeme

يعجبني هذا العطر كثيرا.. يلفت الانتباه .. ثابت وفواح .. مميز للامسيات الرسميه الباردة

Zeyad
Zeyad

From the first spray DH crossed my mind, due to the sour sweetness that iris and vanilla smell like. but not after a few seconds.
Oud and patchouli's sweetness and earthiness feel with the combination of orange and myrhh which gives a spicy-papery feel to it. very good.
For winter only.

smora
smora

During the years old M7 had to regulate his diet to maintain the line and lower the calorie intake. This new M7 is thinner, but keeps the old vibe. Compressed, like the CD quality of sound is compressed in mp3 format.
Oud Absolu opens with mandarin, and even some rosemary of the original. Patchouli and oud give some robustness. Although called Oud Absolu, oud is not prominent. It is Westernized, yet has some depth and full bodied. The strong resins in the base are the difference from the original. OA is drier and sticky sweet at the same time.
New version of the old beast. More easy to wear. Yes, it lost some of old charm, but the essence is here.

Rating: polished ****

Aleccsei
Aleccsei

SWEET, SWEET OUD
_______________________________________________________

Being a big fan of Tom Ford (in this case, the designer) I read and heard a lot of M7.

I was told it broke certain barriers, when it came to the fragrance world. Only few had heard of or smelled oud back in the 90's, but Tom Ford managed to change that. Because of this high praise, I was intrigued to smell the only living relative of M7, 'M7 Oud Absolu'.

From the moment I sprayed it on, I sensed something familiar - and it wasn't the oud, it was Dior's 'Fahrenheit Le Parfum'. In my opinion, this doens't smell like oud at all. In the beginning, I smell some alcohol (like the rum in 'Fahrenheit Le Parfum' - FLP), and when the great drydown takes place, I could only sense sweetness, very sweet sweetness (like licorice and the Vanilla Absolute in 'FLP').

Overall: Not being familiar with M7, I compare this fragrance with the ones that I know. It is very sweet and not as 'loud' as I imagines or would have hoped it to be. Don't blind buy it!

Longetivity: - 8/10
Sillage: - 7/10

All in all: 9 out of 10 points (because of Dior).

simon.edwards
simon.edwards

My first smell of something with oud in it. Lie many others, I was taken aback on first sniff. Dry-down was quick, with the heart and bass notes coming pounding through. I'm used to standard high street fare (you know, bergamot, vetiver, etc), so this was something completely different - I only have Terre De Hermes to compare against, and way off of this. I'll need to give it some time to digest (puts tester strip down and walks away....for like, several hours....)

lollotyp
lollotyp

I have the original of 2002 and this "absolu" here. And I know, only one who has not a good nose, or only who is envious of what he has not, can say that the two fragrances are the same thing. This fragrance, synthetic and full of a boring mandarin, is not the real M7. And I think it's bad. As bad is the feeling of envy.

Auminded
Auminded

Simple, Subtle, Soulful.

This one smells much like the original M7 though the Oud is much more subtle. Instead of it being the lead singer of this song its the middle backup singe, not as highlighted but ever so important to the band. This fragrance is simple in note but complex in scent, it has the ability to intrigue and grab compliments. Its strange nature will really make others around you wonder as you sit confidently knowing what it is.

The notes of mandarin and patchouli trade places with each other in a "musical chairs" type of way while the oud and myrrh act as the guy standing on the wall that's too cool to have fun at the party.

I really do like this fragrance, having only experienced the greatness of the original M7 a few times I can say that its not the same, nor is it any less of a fragrance. I will say that it is a close cousin of its discontinued relative. They don't compete, so why compare the two. I like what another reviewer said "Not M7 but a tribute to it -alfarom"

Overall Fragrance: 8.0/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
Silage: 9.0/10

fhr
fhr

so..chaps make it easy to you, nice , sweet, oud, not overwhelming, polite, strong, long lasting, pleasant, and must have for every aoud/oud lover or for those who want to jump on the oud train... nice beginning for that. Strongly suggested...:-)

samuelgustav
samuelgustav

I remember very well when the original M7 was released, I was still a kid (16 or 17 years old I think) got a tester in a magazine, spray it, and to this day I still remember it so well, my thoughts were "Ok this is weird... oh wait, this dry down, OMG, this is so amazing, so masculine, so warm, I must have this one day when I get older" to me it was a way too mature scent for a teenage, oh I wish I could travel in time and bought this one for later.

Now I'm 30, and now I wish I had bought it back then, still, this new M7 is kinda similar, more "safe" then the original, will definately buy this.

groover
groover

I remember when M7 was released,
i was a bit younger then and the
smell was very unusual at the time,
it was not OUD Mania as it is today,
and of course it didnt actually smell
fresh and clean and youthful as i was
expecting at the time, i guess today i
have learned to appriciate the great smell
of M7, but i never bought a bottle back then
and that i regret deeply today, but this one
is as good as replacement as it gets, a fine
smelling earthy oud it certainly is indeed.

amirali0072000
amirali0072000

I really enjoy this..it is very gentleman.. The lasting power is good. I am very glad that YSL has brought it ..i love it
نمونه ارحینال از ادکلن حهت تست موجوده.طالبین پیام بدهند

Jaradona

@naipe I agree, this fragrance is heavy on both dusty-patchouli and earthy-vetiver, this combination gives the dirtiness to it as it is clear in the opening with a blast of mandarin and myrrh as the dominant notes, and the oud is reduced to back-stages whispering poetry gently.
I get something like teak wood too.
Totally strong release plus the long lasting power and nice projection.

ps.I haven't smelt M7 so I can't compare, but I love this, so do people around me.

naipe
naipe

It is pretty difficult to talk about this scent, plenty of mixed feelings... these are my notes:

I don't know if this is a tribute, a reinterpretation or whatever... just don't know how to call it. IMO this is a different fragrance from original M7, not better, not worse either, just different: less fresh and more dusty, less shamelessly masculine and more unisex?, ambiguous?, less unapologetically young and more decidedly serious? mature?... choose your side in the war.

I would swear this is mandarin+oud+vetiver but surprisingly vetiver is not listed here. I detect a strange inclination to abuse myrhh in contemporary perfumery. Longevity is huge and sillage is moderate. It keeps a strange and far resemblance to Dries par Frederic Malle as well, although both compositions have nothing to do.

It seems very difficult that icons like Envy or M7 come to life again so sorry, I don't intend to be a spoilsport, but don't expect to find original M7 here. They have just turned the page.

AZJeff
AZJeff

I got to try M7 and I really liked it so I thought I would try this one. I thought this first smelled good when I first applied to my skin but after awhile it didn't smell so good on me. It has this deep earthy aroma that I don't care for. The earthy aroma is starting to fade after a few minutes on my skin. It's also faintly sweet. I would like to call this a "earth or dirt bomb" when it's first applied to the skin. This also smells very much like M7 but that one doesn't seem to have as much earthy vibe to it like this one does. I like M7 a lot more than this one.

nanomira
nanomira

The description of main accords on the top of the page is pretty accurate. And I love it. I am not a huge fan of sweet scents but this one is not so sweet to bother me. Thumbs up, it is amazing!
Scent 11/10 :)
Bottle 8/10
Longevity 10/10

FORTEZZA
FORTEZZA

It's very sweet, almost more like a perfume for women. A lot of earthy flower and mandarin orange. I don't smell a ton of oud, but it's present in the background of I sniff deeply. Unfortunately its too weak in performance to be full bottle worthy.

It's a weak syrupy floral myrrh fragrance with oud at the weak base.

sam ldh
sam ldh

Oud is by nature an ineffable, mysterious scent.There are numerous variations, owing the diversity to geographical factors, and thus, Indian oud (my motherland! ) can be fecal, the Indonesian /Laoatian fruity, and so on.
This one, though synthetic, is a very good representation, particularly for those new to this aromatic wonder note from the land of Aladdin!
Its really reminiscent of Oud Ispahan but, yet, the two have an individual personality.
However, if the real, honest opinion be shared, I believe the western /French houses' representations of Arabian oriental perfumes,particularly Oud- forward ones, are just that- "Representations ".
To unravel the authentic, unblemished, unaltered and real oud's beauty and opulence, you must revel into the world of Arabian oil (attars) perfumes,which aren't alcohol drenched as the sprays we get in the western markets. And also,the optimum brilliance comes to the fore, fully, only in oil form, as the alcohol flooding somehow disrupts the entire core structural arrangement of this aromatic ingredient from the land of Alif Laila & Ali Baba and the forty thieves!!
Performance in all departments, is satisfactory,and thus, recommended.

Gudluck & Happy Sniffing!

lovetribe

an improved and more strong version of m7. less sweet less syrupy and more portable. Class. less candy. for me it is good for all seasons.10/10 sillage 8/10
longevity 8/10

Tiger84
Tiger84

I ordered a sample, tried it on, and BAM! This is a dead ringer for my beloved Le Baiser Du Dragon plus oud!
Made by the same nose, too! Alberto Morillas created Le Baiser Du Dragon, and he created the original M7. Not sure about this version, though.
Pretty funny that people refer to M7 as "so hypermasculine" and they say, this really requires a man's skin, bla bla... while there is a very similar scent for females. The only difference for me is the oud in this. I love the Dragon's Kiss, and I definitely love this one, too. I'm not going to get it because it would be redundant and too expensive, but respect!

Erikkkk
Erikkkk

What a lovely day. Luv this frag, start mainly with mandarim orange blast, and dry to smoky sweet incense vibe (remember me the Flower Orijental) this place take a little pinch of feminine frags, but in the end a bitter smell predominate, mainly again and strong, not sweet, close dry and classy. Unforntanaly I dont try the orginal M7, but this is a lovely frag.

Úrbez larres.lardies
Úrbez larres.lardies

I tried it yesterday . At the very sweet and feminine principle and almost recalls the scent of an old woman. After three hours the smell becomes woody and pleasant . I do not like .

Cobray
Cobray

Haven't tried this version but I remember the original M-7 and it was very nice!!

Anyone in the US have a bottle for sale please PM me with details

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

For me this reformulation of the infamous classic M7 works! It really does!

Classic M7 was a challenge for me! While I do love it for what it is, I can't really say that I can wear it... On the contrary, it wears me out! Maybe I am not MAN enough for it?!

Anyways... This new reformulations tames down a little of the roughness of the classic's opening while keeping the juice 80% similar.

M7 oud absolu is an honorable reformulation, but if you used to love the original and wear it with no problems, you might be a little bit disappointed with this. But it you were, like me, fond of the original but can't really pull it off successfully, try this one. You'll be surprised!

Good job!

rahul_prasher
rahul_prasher

One of the best oud-wood fragrances out there. At first spray, sharp mandarin notes are released, followed by a rapid drydown to the oud wood itself and patchouli. Those around me describe it as a deep and warm scent. It reminds me of Tom Ford's Oud Wood but without the mandarin.

It's rather potent for an EDT and surprisingly long lasting. Very unique.

Sillage: 7/10

MARFUOFFICIAL
MARFUOFFICIAL

Remember me M7 old formula year 2003.
Scent 9/10
Longevity 9/10
Sillage 8,5/10

missan
missan

Many compare this to the original M7. It is hard to do this I think, they are very different to me.
While to me the original M7 is a masterpiece with real oud and very natural smelling, this is really nothing special. You can find loads of original abrabian blended ouds that are so much better, and not synthetic smelling like this. Way, way too expensive and nothing special.

Jaradona

A good scent definitely suitable for myrrh lovers. I don't get oud maybe because has been tampered with by mandarin and myrrh. A powdery woody and little citrusy nice perfume.

Scent 8/10
Longevity 8/10
Sillage 9/10 (very good projection)

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

Gifted to my husband for valentines ladst year. Excellent sexy warum oudy sweet woody longlasting high quality exeptional extremly recommended.

muzzbait
muzzbait

this smells like the original M7 in the same way that lemon juice tastes like lime juice; yeah, there's a similarity there, and there's some shared lineage and all of that, but deep down NO ONE is asking for lemon in their cocktails...

yes, the same (or similar) oud scent is certainly there. yes, there is that resiney goodness, but there's no sweetness, there's no charm, there's no balance. M7's allure is in the balance; stinky oud with sweet warm amber. This lacks all of that, unfortunately. There's not even enough of a link to label it a 'flanker'; the connection is tenuous, at best.

It doesn't work even if you remove the connection to the original. The resin is borderline herbal and the yin-yang between sweet and sour is WAY.

It's criminal to think that this is allowed to live on while M7 (the original) doesn't. It's madness...we have to dig deep to find original vintage samples whereas oud absolu is available basically EVERYWHERE. madness...

rob2b
rob2b

I am glad I bought this, because as a perfumisto, it's an interesting benchmark of how oud has been muted, westernised by luxury brands to the point of non-existence. It's still a "nice" fragrance but it has extremely low sillage for a fragrance at this price point.

If you buy oud, you want punch, not prettiness. I smell: lots of mandarin peel oil on a woody, spicy base. The Labdanum is noticeable with its dirty, bitter balsamic tang. The oud accord is immature and un-aged. The myrrh is noticeable when the fragrance is sprayed on paper, but on my skin it disappears. Overall, a light, clean soapy fragrance when what I may have wanted was filthy engine oil grunt.

Jay T
Jay T

Ce drydown est une version moins forte de Fahrenheit Absolute. Ce est doux et crémeux tandis FA est sombre est mystérieuse. Il possèdent une qualité médicinale typique de certains produits YSL.

brandonR
brandonR

Growing up Catholic, I can tell you unequivocally, M7 Oud Absolute is the smell of a confessional. It's a serious scent. Dark and refined, yet simplistic and grounded. It's a dry experience that I personally think fits an autum evening better than a winter one.

Anyone who is interested in a scent like this one and hasn't before strayed off the beaten path of mainstream people pleasers as of yet, must be willing to take their game to the next level with M7 Oud. Yes, there's more serious oud offerings out there, but with the YSL name branded on the bottle, this oud will more than likely be a first time experience for newbie olfactory adventurists who choose to open new doors due to aquatic fragrance fatigue. A nice mid level oud scent.

Molko
Molko

I have just a sample from this. It's deep, dark, balsamic, oriental oud smell. I discover some similarities with Fahrenheit absolute, but M7 OA is sweeter and fresher, more syrupy, Absolute is drier. Not masculine at all, just at the begining, little bit mature smell. It contains oud, however well balanced, doesn't disturb the oud, it's smooth. On my skin the sample is soft, moderate with 5-6 hours lasting. Worth a try, because it's different than the other mainstream fragrance.
I bought a full bottle, special fragrance for special occasions:)

psychocandy
psychocandy

I have an original formula, second formula and now this alternate version. I feel this one actually is closer to the original because of the stronger medicinal feel. The second formula is sweeter creamier Amber vanilla, which I feel is toned down in the m7oa. It feels like they amped up the mhyrr, I am completely happy with this version or tribute if you will and for $64 it's a no brainer. I sniffed the original formula bottle and the m7oa side by side and indeed they are similar. My non fragrance friend said 'it smells like cola'...I'd say the original formula would be like 'm7 Oud absolu intrnse' or parfume strength and m7oa is the regular eau de toilette strength...I'll be stocking up on this

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

M7 Oud Absolu is a great fragrance. Perfect for night time wear, it is elegant and sophisticated. Patchouli and Oud give it a sweet, woody feel. I wore it for the first time to a family dinner around Christmas time (2014). My Mom was the first one to compliment me. After that, the compliments just came pouring in. Needless to say I was very happy.

nexangelus
nexangelus

Another confusing one!

Here was me thinking oud was this strong, foul smelling concoction no matter what. Yet here is another very earthy, not very pungent mish mash of minerally, soil notes with patchouli and not much mandarin unless you smell the atomiser. This one is prettier than the Farenheit with oud, but then I like leafy patchouli. Both are not as strong or powerful as I thought. Maybe I am a little disappointed, but the oud in these is tolerable I will give them that much. Might have to re-visit, they are nice enough scents...

Moonchild1985
Moonchild1985

WEATHER / SEASON : Winter (best in a very cold weather)

TIME / : night (or dark afternoons)

SCENT / FEEL : 16/20 (mandarin, patchouli, Oud, Ciste, myrrh) -
dark oriental. Heavy (bitter) mandarin scent at the opening but doesnt last too long(~30 min) then comes the patchouli / oud mix (the Oud is lightly present which is a shame considering the name is basically "absolute Oud").
Not really for the young IMHO (would suit a man above +25 I'd say), with a suit (maybe with a cigar or a pipe), office-like look. Gives a "serious"/mature feel.

LONGEVITY : 7/10 (as I always wear some unscented body lotion and spray some inside my coat, can last up to 7-8 hours)

PROJECTION / SILLAGE : 7/10 (sillage and projection is rather average. Do not overspray, 4 sprays max, or you'll face nose fatigue quickly, and even headache). Stays close to the body after ~1h30-2h

OVERALL : 15/20

NOTES / ADD INFO :
I bought it as a substitute to my almost empty Fahrenheit Absolu bottle. I'm a sucker for Oud-based oriental scents. Though 90% different, i find some similarities in the drydown, the myrrh and (weak) oud are definitly there. But I find Fahrenheit Absolute, more versatile (I'd call it "M7 Absolu Sport"), M7 Oud Absolu is "too serious" and a step below FA. But a good buy nevertheless, one of the best "mature orientals out there if you ask me.
PS : I dont know the original so I can't compare.

benpitt
benpitt

This undoubtedly has the same heart as the original M7, but dries down with less of the sweet powdery effect. It does get a little too sweet if the weather is warm.

Compliments all around any day I've worn it; much more of a crowd-pleaser than it's predecessor which is nice now that I can savor the last of my original!

YSL is back on target with this and Splendid Wood; it almost makes up for the L'Homme collection.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

This is one classy, wonderful fragrance. Dare I say it I think the blending of this one beats the original. It is so smooth, longevity is excellent. It's not the heaviest in terms of projection, but the fragrance itself is addictive, you cannot help checking it out! The packaging is a little naff, bit on the plasticy side, but the juice itself is fantastic, proof that reformulations can sometimes be a viable option, as opposed to a discontinuation.

gedlive

YSL says they have infused the frag with mineral freshness to highlight the oud accord. I was trying to understand that. In the late mid drydown it changes,the oud note suddenly become brighter weter, just zings your senses with a lushes scent. M7 OA is a great cozy oriental oud frag. I think its in top 1% of all modern fragrances.This reformulation is close to the previous one. More citrusy more oudy, seamingly more linear, less complex, but may be to superior blending. Highly recomend.

Rating: 9.25/10

wrexy
wrexy

Classy, dark, earthy smell. Love at first sniff for me! I got a sample from someone and decided to try it out on a cold morning after putting my cardigan on over my dressy work clothes. The opening was quite strong and I was worried how people at work would react. After about 10-15 minutes, WOW! Just carried an aura of masculine confidence. The drydown has a sweet, dark almost woodsy like smell. Lovely frag that I will be purchasing soon!

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

It's not the most versatile oud/earthy scent but it is well done. I see that some women wear it but I feel that it's super masculine. Very dark and smoky with a small hint of citrus. Not to be worn on a daily basis but more for those cold/damp/freezing fall and winter nights. Erotic and evoking!

John Mason
John Mason

This is very dark and masculine. For a very strong woman in tailored female suit and tie, with leather bag. That would be amazing!
I wear it in the evenings, but not very often. You need to be in a mood for this.

olfactorium
olfactorium

YSL M7 Oud Absolu is a severe wood fragrance with a strong projection. Although there are fragrances for women which offer agarwood (oud) as the primary note, this is not one of them. I think only a very mannish woman could carry this off (i.e. a woman who likes to revisit the "Annie Hall" look of the late '70's might feel comfortable in this). The other elements appearing here (patchouli, myrrh, mandarin, French labdanum) which might have mitigated this effect in another oriental, woody fragrance are pulled into this "black hole" of oud and seem to reappear as spagettified "ghosts" in the dry down. If there are more powerful ouds out there I would not be interested in sniffing them. Even a man who is contemplating purchasing this should have acquired some sense of what oud is before attempting to wear YSLM7OA. Not for beginners, it is a very dark, sophisticated and hyper-masculine attar designed by Tom Ford (or was it Tom of Finland!) in 2002 and then reintroduced as part of the YSL "La Collection" in 2011. Most reviews of YSLM7OA I have read seem to think this reinterpretation smells the same as the original but I can't attest to that because I never smelled the original release. I would never blind buy this for anyone unless I knew his or her tastes very well. Even though I am in love with YSLM7OA and have never regretted adding it to my collection there are days when the thought of its absolute, unrelenting wood makes me abandon the idea of actually wearing it on my body. Oud is just like that.

bronstein
bronstein

Fine, classy stuff indeed. I am not sure who would be wearing it, beacuse this one is a bit out of time for young dandies, yet too feminine for true gentlemen. Still, you may enjoy it at home on your own.

***

neemox2
neemox2

Very well balanced fragrance that oozes sophistication. Fantastic silage and longevity on me. The scent holds on comfortably on the shirt it is worn for days. My first oud fragrance and i do not need to look further as it gets the job done excellently.

Smooth, subtle, elegant, quality.

pomusthafa
pomusthafa

After Long time I got one.pretty good oudsmell and the silage is also nice.now this is my favorite.8out of 10.

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

A woody oriental to remember.

"A resounding disruption for a fragrance of excess, the first to use a oud accord: it merges with myrrh and cistus to create a warm, intense and fascinating trail. Mandarin gives a top opening and delivers singular vibrancy, whereas a very potent patchouli wood facet provides depth and addictive tenacity. Resolutely contemporary, M7 OUD ABSOLU has been enhanced with brilliant mineral freshness, revealing the full richness of expression of the oud accord."

The ‘middle-eastern’ sector of the fragrance sphere is mysterious and often as poetic as the ‘One-Thousand and One Nights’ tales. It is only appropriate then that many fragrances houses (at least once) draw inspiration from the exotica and hence, the mystique and the ethos of certain cultures, among the hidden, unappreciated exotics that are somewhat surreptitious to the masses and entirely novel to the senses.

In that respect, M7 Oud Absolu is a wonderful fragrance that is light and friendly with the gloriousness of Oud, Myrrh, Ciste Labdanum and more heavy incense notes regurgitated for a western audience and stereotypically a conservative clientele.

M7 Oud Absolu is a fragrance that reminds me of the resulting fusion from ‘East meets West’ relations that occur purely due to luck; when you combine opposites and you reach something unexpected- and more importantly something unexpectedly good.

For me, M7 Oud Absolu was the breakthrough fragrance into the world of oud, only leading me on to appreciate the delights of Royal Oud (Creed), Interlude (Amouage), Oud Wood and Noir de Noir (Tom Ford).

The opening is the peel and juice of mandarin combined with myrrh and oud in the background. The oud and incense notes present an almost (expected) medicinal quality that isn’t bad… not at all… but it’s certainly unique and interesting when considering my collection of fragrances. Put bluntly, it is a contrapuntal note I now (in retrospect) can expect from the stickiness and sacrosanct reverence of bois de oud.

The first ten or so minutes of this fragrance starts very harsh with the twang of mandarin; ripe, verdant and very sweet with an undeniable heaviness too it, carried along with the myrrh. This creates something very mineral-esque and a touch synthetic. At this stage the fragrance is incredibly balmy and the combination of these two notes combine to recreate a fictional vanillin note; something sweet and cake dough-ish- It must be the sweet patchouli in the mix.

Things only get better in the drydown with the usual occurring. The sweetness shifts down a few notches whilst the woods come into play, something true to the woody oriental nature of some fragrances (blame the labdanum). Mandarin becomes merely a whisper, but still present throughout, only accentuating the beautiful musty smokiness of the oud and the leather-amber tinges of labdanum.

M7 Oud Absolu takes oud on a level that doesn’t perpetuate the sometimes irritable rotting character, but alters it with a decent mix of sweetness and common florals. Albeit, this juice contains the perfect equilibrium between an interesting roughness, expected of eastern fragrances (Interlude by Amouage is a good example of the smack your face ideal) and malty smoothness and sweet honey-like accords. What you get is a fusion opening of barely restrained ‘oomph’ and a fusion dry down of sensual campfire woods and easily likeable florals (which you wouldn’t pick up on unless told about).

However, I wouldn’t call this fragrance “Oud Absolu”, and whilst it is virtually omnipresent throughout the life of wear, it merely remains the backbone in the composition. Certainly this fragrance is enjoyable from beginning to end, but I don’t think it warrants the name. In light of this, Myrrh Absolu may have been a more appropriate name.

I also feel, in terms of wearability that this is a little bit ‘too’ out there to make this a fragrance for daily wear. It is more appropriate for the sporadic occasion or the intermittent wear when one is in the mood for something quite easily distinguishable from the rest; again, sometimes it is good to fit in. The sweet myrrh makes this EdT distinguishable, for it truly is a sticky and pungent antiseptic note.

YSL’s take on an oud note is one that plays on the heaviness of scent and character. It remains totally level as the mineral character of citrus peel changes the olfactic perception of oud wood and myrrh with something initially wet and fresh, only preparing you for the marvelous drydown that is smokier and dryer, that lingers like a treat.

Accessible and user friendly exotica. 3/5

marios4
marios4

Very good fragr, softer and smoothers than the original M7 (why a very good flanker of the first oud fragrance???); the drydown on my skin is very very similar to Ambre Sultan, the masterpiece of Serge Lutens....do you agree???

M7 is drier, while Ambre Sultan is a little bit more sweet and soft....

Skeletor
Skeletor

I was out looking for a new scent for my collection when I came up to the Yves Saint Laurent booth where this strange black cube took me and my friends eye. I applied it straight away and from that point i fell in love with this scent. It is a sweet but sophisticated fragrance which gives me a kind of bubblegum vibe when it radiates off my skin. It is a very long lasting scent which lasts 12+ hours. I have been receiving many compliments while wearing this beautiful scent. Definitely worth every dollar spent on it.

be careful with this stuff, it might get you to much poon

smoj
smoj

It happened today.. I've had M7 oud absolu for about 2 months, and I was very disappointed with it, it smells like floor cleaner, at least the top notes do, really medicine type thick syrupy. not very pleasant to my nose..

then today i thought i'd put some on, maybe in the heat it would change things up a bit, and well... did it just.. if i can get past the opening, which lasts no longer then 5-10 minutes I'm left with a really warm smooth patchouli, amber sent, with a dirty orange underneath it. now it becomes clear how much of a masterpiece this is.
and i am happy i didn't dismiss this frag from the get go.

I'm not sure how much this projects during the dry down on me, but i think I'm happy enough if i can only smell it, but I'm sure with the quality of YSL at least someone should be able to smell me a little.

anyways, if this scent doesn't work for you at the beginning, take your time with it and you'll come to enjoy this scent, and appreciate why its a modern masterpiece..

Kanz Oman
Kanz Oman

I am a Lady & i used this fragrance, it just smells soo nice. This is for sure not only men perfume.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Oud and patchouli are warm and just a touch medicinal from the myrrh. The labdanum comes in and warms and sweetens the entire composition, making it very cozy, wearable, not an overwhelming oud but something one could wear everyday for any occasion. Lovely composition, also would like to say that this is easily an unisex scent, great for everyone.

pelinkovac
pelinkovac

so insensitve, so divine, it's unique case where e reformulation is slightly different but even a little bit better then original, fuc... good (10+/10)

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

This Juice is amazing! I LOVE it. I own three bottles of it and intend to burn through each and everyone of them...like their going out of style. It's blended flawlessly! So affordable. A must try!

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

Have both, one circa 2008 and this absolu. I like the Oud Absolu more than the original. Better in projection, and in the dry down. The older smells more vanilla than this one. Love it!

Sheks
Sheks

Got this for my husband but i wear it sometimes, it smells great! i get away with it as the dry down is very nice. Sometimes, i mix it with wood mystique by Estee Lauder and sometimes, i combine it with sahaa noir and get a totally different scent which makes people stop me to ask what i'm wearing.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

Yep, this is quite awesome. Grows on you too, which is always good. I cant compare it to the original as I havent sampled that yet, but from my understanding, this is a civilised and cultured version of M7.

Whether that is true or not, judging this by it's own merits, I'd personally find many an occasion to wear this.

It's quite 'bubblegum' sweet to my nose but highly pleasant. I wouldn't shy from calling it fairly unisex .Either way, it certainly stands out from a million others.

There are currently so many that are milking the oud cash cow, but at least the lineage of this fragrance can rightfully lay claim to pioneering oud with significance here in the West.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

On first testing I was like, wait a minute I KNOW this, what is it, where have I smelled this before and it was only later as I got repeated wafts did I realise this was the smell of Dubai when you walk behind immaculately groomed Arabs in their pristine white clothes, whatever they are called. It's as if you put out a campfire with cherry coke. An oud for Westerners. Smooth and very sexy.

lucasdeus94
lucasdeus94

Well, sometimes the purist side of ourselves screams more than the sensible and realistic side. M7 Oud Absolu is NOT the same as the original M7. Yes, this is true. But... the M7 feel is the same wearing all of the three formulations and the overral smell, even not bieng identical, is pretty much the same as the other two formulations. For the average guy, all three will smell identical after about 30 minutes.

M7 Oud Absolu opens with a blast of myrhh and mandarin orange, with the oud very in the background. The feeling is very mineral and balmy, and is the major difference between the two other versions and this one. This open balmy and mineral, and the original M7 opens very medicinal, like a cherry cough syrup. This stay for about 20 minutes, that's when the oud comes. And comes very strong. The heart of this composition, whit stays about 30 minutes to 4 hours after the application is a mix of oud, myrhh, a little bit of labdanum (to give a resinous feel) and patchouli on the background. After this heart, the patchouli starts to appear as a major note. The base of this fragrance, that occurs about 4 hours after application is basically a mix between oud and patchouli, with hints of myrhh and labdanum (the same story again, to give the resinous feel of amber of the original M7). And it stays this way until the fragrance dies. I normally do 7 sprays with this one.

The overall feeling is that you a wearing M7. It smells like M7 and the feeling is the same. Even having some differences in the scent, I can say that this is easily 90% the same as the original. And the changes that they made turned this one sexier and more modern. So, it can be a downpoint for some, but can be an advantage to others.

Here go the ratings:
Scent: 10 (Is M7. And is closer to the vintage formulation than the reformulation)
Lasting power: 9 (8 to 10 hours on my skin. Weaker than the other two, but still excellent)
Projection: 8 (Projects very well for the first 2 hours, then 2 hours of moderate projection and becames skin for the rest of the fragrance)
Sillage: 6 (It leaves a scent trail, but disappears quickly from the place. Very elegant)
Versatility: 8 (If it's not hot, you can wear it for about anything.)
Final note: 9,5

It's still M7. And it's still a masterpiece. However, it's not the same as the others, and prefering the cherry cough syrup opening of the original than the mineral and balmy opening of Oud Absolu in addition to the lost of performance, this loses half a point in my book. But I love then almost equally. M7 will be forever my favourite fragrance ever, and this is a very close and cheap alternative for those who don't want to spend loads of money on the original M7. You will still be wearing the king M7 using this one.

Nevermind the haters and enjoy M7 Oud Absolu!

popescuionut100
popescuionut100

Strong distinguishing scent.The opening smells just like cookie leaven with rum essence.That fades in a few minutes and it becomes spicy.
It also has the Opium style in it,not in the opening but in the dry down i smell Opium .
Longevity and projection are good,not heavy but good enough to buy if you like the scent!
Good for winter and autumn,day or night!
7/10,i like it but i wasn't blown away!

usas
usas

Don't have it but tested it twice.
It's a good scemt, distinguishing, but not for me. I think it's too sweet and cloying. Sprayed it on my wrist today and sometimes I get a whiff, but not particularly a positive one.

tomerits
tomerits

A great scent. To my nose it is very similar to original m7 (i own a vintage bottle) and i have to agree with a lot of the reviews that says that its a toned down version of the original.(not always a bad thing)
I get a good 7hrs with 5 sprays and that's enough for me and again scent wise its almost the same as original m7.in todays designer market its way better then most of what is out there.
Highly recommended.
My rank 4.5/5.very very good.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

Quickly becoming my new favorite. I never tried the original, so I won't go down the road of comparisons. But this is very enjoyable to wear. On my skin, the oud is barely noticeable, but the labdanum and myrhh stand out. A winner.

Stevie.D.
Stevie.D.

Sadly on my skin this has been the biggest disappointment in my recent batch of samples. I detect no oud and the whole show is over in barely half an hour. A shame.

Washix
Washix

به نظرم اشتباه هست که این کار را با ام7 اصلی مقایسه کنید
عود ابسلو شخصیت مستقل و متفاوت خودش را داره و فکر میکنم خیلی کم از ام7 چیزی به ارث برده باشه
به هر حال من این کار را حتی به ام7 ترجیح میدم

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

M7 Oud Absolu, upon sprayed, has a plum jam sort of smell, probably coming from the mixture of mandarin and patchouli. A few minutes later, the oud steps to the front with a smoky and incence texture. The oud here is easily perceptible, but the note behaves quite polite and is not difficult to appreciate. After about 1 hour later, the oud then mellows into the background while the fragrance dries down into an amber-patchouli base. On me, the labdunum and myrrh are the most prominent notes throughout the drydown, which make the scent ambery and leathery, with a slight smoky and rubbery twist lent by oud.

The sillage is overall soft and the longevity is at least 10 hours. I haven't yet had the chance to test the original M7, thus cannot make the comparison. But I find it a beautiful fragrance on its own. Maybe not really an oud fragrance, but a sensuous amber and leather fragrance with a nice oud nuance. And it's definitely unisex. It may not be groundbreaking in today's circumstance, but it's well executed nontheless. I'd recommend it as an elegant amber and incense fragrance.

hasanadeel
hasanadeel

This is a gorgeous scent and very pleasing yet intoxicating. Try layering it with Mancera, The Oud and see the magic, the combination of these two create...compliments,compliments and compliments, non stop..You will be noticed for sure, of the aroma and sillage, this one projects ...Just the best of the best ..

Endymion
Endymion

@weaselize
What if you just let other people have THEIR OWN opinion, as you have yours?

weaselize
weaselize

blablabla, the original is gone, weee weee weee, please stop crying about the original is gone. It,s gone ok. Live with it. This one is also very good. Always teh same when a perfume isn,t available anymore. Suddenly the few people who have it and have twisted memories to it show up and crying the whole website under acting like it,s another worldwonder that should be protected by unesco and exagerating that this has nuttin to do with it. Just live with and enjoy this one, it,s good indeed!
It,s not mr Ford himself who created it. True, without him it was never there. Much appreciated that mr Ford launched it but creators Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas themselves also deserve credits

lemonfreshman
lemonfreshman

The smell is like wet wood, or a sauna/humidor. A good scent, but low to moderate longevity and sillage for me. Could have been phenomenal but just pretty good, and weak.

macverickendo
macverickendo

This cologne is amazing on my body. I applied two sprays on my body, 2 mins later, I felt edible. I would've eaten myself if I had my way. Lol.
Guess I'm gonna make this one my signature.

chanakya
chanakya

Bought this one in Dubai during my recent trip to Rome and not a day in Rome passed without spraying this one on me..both my Narcisco Rodriguez (still one of my massive favorites) & Bvlgari Man Extreme sat in my suitcase untouched for the whole trip. And the longevity was amazing! but then, i thought, since it was Rome and cold climates usually let the fragrances last longer, i will hold my judgement till i got back to sunny Singapore, where i live. Now i have worn in for about a week and mannn, this perfume lastssss! If it can last a day in this heat, then it is one hell of a juice!! :-)

maio2012
maio2012

Very similar to M7, but smoother and not so long-lasting. The projection is not enormous as M7´s, but is good. I think it is easier to understand and use than the original, yet not for everyone. I love both.

lovetribe

not different from old M7.one of my preferite!!!!!

christianne1
christianne1

Oh my goodness gracious this is fantastic! I just got a sample out of curiosity, not really expecting to wear it for myself, I just wanted to know what it smelled like....but this is totally unisex! So smooth and sexy and well balanced. I just love the opening and could spray it over and over (if my sample wasn't only 3ml). I'm surprised some people don't like the opening because it is a highlight for me. Love! Dry down is nice also. I don't care if this is in a totally manly looking bottle I will end up with a full bottle of this. I am so pleasantly surprised that this is wearable for myself. I am so glad I decided to try this. Ladies don't be afraid to try this for yourself!

Well I'll be honest...Somebody asked me what I thought about the new formulation M7 compared to the old TF M7.
Well I've never owned the original despite it's legendary status and my time as a fragrance enthusiast. I remember smelling it in a shop and thinking it was great but I can't recall the precise nuances in my olfactory memory banks.
Also having not tried the new one I couldn't really answer the question or have much of an informed opinion on the subject.
Now that I have I can't comment on the comparison all I can say is that this is a superb fragrance full of class. This really puts a lot of highly priced and prized niche fragrances to shame. The opening is lush fruity madarin orange and patchouli the Oud is perfect and it's slightly resinous too.
Great stuff, elegant and perfectly unisex, great value for the quality. YSL M7 Oud Absolu has a huge amount going for it and is revered with good reason.
I'm adding it to my collection.

dmd63
dmd63

very mixed feelings about this.the first couple of sprays and the scent is horrible, just like shit. the drydown however is great, outstadind scent long projection and silage. don´t be afraid with the 1st impression.

asheble93
asheble93

I had been wanting this one for awhile and finally decided to just blind buy it and hope for the best. At first I wasn't that impressed, and fearing that I might be having some buyer's remorse I let it sit unused for a few days. Having just finished a full wear, any fears of buyers remorse have been quelled!

M7 Oud Absolu is now one of my favorite scents and if I had to describe it in a few words I would have to use: warm, powdery, masculine, woody, etc.

I also must add that a lot of this scent's character, for me at least, shows itself in the drydown; that's where the incense and wood have a synergistic effect, which makes this scent so appealing.

The one chip in this otherwise porcelain complexion is that the opening is a bit too heavy with mandarin, it dominates the first 3-5 minutes, after which it slowly fades into the background.

Overall: 8.0/10

montox

Oud is present but I find myrrh dominates on my skin...
anyway this is the shadow of the original M7...

garett
garett

Ok ,, I had 4 bottles of same design in front of me.One was JAZZ (80's) , one was river gauche(2003) or something like that.SA showed me river G and JAZZ and was wanting me to buy JAZZ , but i saw OUD written on this bottle and told her to instead let me check this out. Immediately i took this one.It was written on behind the bottle that this is from 2002.
Ingredients were also written , oud , patouchli etc.

As far as i know oud is some wood , so i knew this would be very sexy and manly.I bought it without further interrogation and i am happy now.

This one is sexy and smooth like a cream.Smoky like dior fahrenheit absolute.But this one is linear too which i love.It is definitely sexy and will not cause problems like headaches and cloying effects. I think all men should go for woody ones too once in a while and just not keep on buying aquatic and lemony modern scents.
And last but not least , oh wow man , the bottle is chic and kind of like right out of some fashion show.It deserves to be placed in front of a nice mirror(the one with bulbs in fashion shows).
10/10 for this.
Oh yea and longevity is 7+ to 8+ depends on your skin.

houstcs
houstcs

Perfectly said ovrnightr

Ovrnightr
Ovrnightr

This fragrance is one of my favorites. The bottle is gorgeous and the atomizer is perfect. You can read the notes in the header, or seek out a more knowledgeable reviewer's take on the development of the fragrance itself, I'm only here to share my thoughts on the character.

I was fortunate enough to acquire some vintage M7 (I had to have it after falling so hard for this one) and, in my opinion, the two are VERY similar. As others have said, M7 OA is a somewhat softer version of its predecessor, and is smoother in all aspects. I find it to have more layers and, as such, a bit more depth. Vintage is more poignant and spirited, but somewhat linear. I don't know if I prefer one to the other; they're both simply fantastic. I'll be more likely to wear M7 OA to the office and around town, and Vintage to special events or romantic nights (it's rarity adds to the treasure). If you've never smelled both, and find yourself interested, Oud Absolu is a very close reproduction of the storied original. You simply cannot go wrong with either.

Darko_sk
Darko_sk

Completely agree with Merclex :)

Merclex
Merclex

This fragrance is nice in fact is more then nice. This is a beautiful smell for autumn and winter, this says I'm a man I know what I want and I want stop till I get it :) it makes you feel happy and it makes you humbled. I know fragrances don't make a man but they do make a man smell nice. This also says I'm a confident man I like to be independent and I'm a go getter :) That's what this M7 says. It is up to the man to stand up to what he wears. Sorry I might have got it wrong for some people this is just my humbled opinion.

janine76
janine76

love this fragrance more than the original, and its that nice i'd like to wear this myself.

gr8daddyg
gr8daddyg

The first spray reminds me of the smell of Dr. Pepper. It's a sweet, crisp blast that dries down into a warm, almost powdery musk.

kaizer121
kaizer121

Now that I've given this a few wearings I fel comfortable posting a review.

Firstly, I never experienced M7 proper, so I can't comment on the comparison. As far as my nose is concerned this is a stand alone scent.

The fragrance opens with a note that's not unlike cherry cough syrup, it's a mix of the mandarin and the oud primarily. Very shortly after that, the drydown leads to the middle notes wehre the mandarin disappears completely and the oud and patchouli take over.

The patchouli dominates the middle note while the oud holds its own, albeit as a secondary scent. As the middle note wears on the scent becomes thicker, and more incensey, probably on account of the Myrrh. As it finishes its development, the incense sticks around with a soft very slight oud note in the background. It's not unlike a dry version of Body Kouros at this point (I happen to LOVE Body Kouros)

Projection is quite good at first, I can still smell if from my writs as I type roughly half an hour after I apply (you'd be surprised how few fragrances work like that, I get amonsic very quickly and need to put my nose right up to the point of application with most fragrances) but this dies down to a soft but not weak projection roughly two hours later and stays that way for roughly 8-10 hours. Longevity on me is, as stated, 8-10 hours with this never REALLY becoming a skin scent, but because I have soft (not oily) skin I tend to get quite above average longevity out of everything.

Overall, it's not what I expected (I had hoped for an oud dominant fragrance with background notes of incense and patchouli, instead I got the reverse) but then this is a fragrance designed before the main Oud craze and I shouldn't really have expected a modern oud powerhouse. Still, it's a great, surprisingly versatile (any time, particularly at night but daytime is acceptable, in the Winter, Fall, and even the Spring is acceptable) fragrance, that frankly, smells like sex. It's a very sexy fragrance, and I think that for $60 on Amazon it's hard to argue against it. For those who want to dip their toe in the Oud waters, this is a great jumping off point. For anybody looking for a good fragrance to get intimate with, this is a great option.

CDGfan
CDGfan

I have 2 vintage bottles and I have grown to love the new M7 oud absolu, its not as strong as the vintage but is far better than the reformulation of M7 in 2008. Longevity is great and sillage is close to the skin to average. It is easily available for 55-60 bucks online and is a definite buy for anyone wanting to dabble in oud fragrances.

Bandit

I've got the original M7, which is a warm wood bomb lasting for hours and hours. This new version is a travesty against it. I know, the old one is not any longer around and all, so why whining, and you're right, the new one might be a better choice than most of the rest of the stuff made for men (as they all smell very similiar to each other nowadays, imho), but still, they use the term "M7", so it has to be compared.

The new one is overpriced and underwhelming for that price tag. It reminds one of the old, but the longevity is a joke. I would have never thought that this is possible, but this new one is a fleeting smell. That's a paradox in itself. 3-4 hours and it is gone. Meh.

Actually I couldn't give an advice on buying or not. If you like it and you have lots of money, go for it. If you have the old version, save your money.

The old M7 was a must-have, the new one definatially isn't (same with the whole house of YSL: Vintages aside the contemporary offerings are absolutely unimportant, the house virtually dead).

If you enjoy oud, but don't want to go all out rotting log with an attar, this would be a good choice.
Oud is present, more present than in some other supposed oud fragrances I've tried, but I actually find myrrh dominates on my skin. There's also a good bit of sweet mandarin going on.
It's on the sweet/woody side. It would work as a unisex if you're a woman who likes to wear oud.

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

If you read the older reviews here, people tend to say that M7 is much much better than Oud Absolu. And I have always disagreed with that, always.

If you're reading the more recent reviews, Oud Absolu starts to get the credits it deserves, and indeed, it's more well-blended, it doesn't attack aggrressively / "in your face" like M7 does. Oud Absolu is rounder, more refined and smooth.

In terms of staying power, I think the original one wins slightly, but since I am never that comfortable wearing the original one, it doesn't bother me even if M7 lasted for 3 whole days. And OA has a pretty good staying power itself, at least 7 hours.

Bottom line, definitely OUD ABSOLU. And you can say bye bye to M7, sorry.

-Mr. Almond-

east17
east17

I had the pleasure of testing this in France (by the way, if you ever want to satisfy your basest urges to sample ungodly amounts of fragrances, walk into a large French department store or mall. They have walls of fragrances with hundreds of testers...no SA's to give you a hard sell or painful sales pitch...perfect)

But I digress...

M7 Oud Absolu is a fine fragrance all by itself. However, similarly to what Dior did with Eau Sauvage (Parfum), Oud Absolu is NOT a natural extension or reformulation of M7. Oud Absolu should be considered separate from the realm of M7...a distant flanker at best. Thus, it should more appropriately be thought of as just "Oud Absolu".

The original M7 gives that in-your-face medicinal oud note with some vague amber sweetness and a vetiver punch. Oud Absolu massively tones down the M7 oud note and instead quietly sits near the skin like a well-behaved child at the dinner table. It is not anything awe-inspiring or otherwise groundbreaking. It IS however, a very "nice" masculine scent that is pretty easily wearable and is definitely NOT a generic scent such as (paraphrasing from Luca Turin here) "clone turbo sport blue for men".

With Oud Absolu, it appears that YSL'Oreal did what any self-respecting conglomerate would do: attempt to cash in on the name of a commercial flop fondly remembered as a bold work of genius ahead of its time... in an age of neutered, wispy eau de toilettes for men.... and create a marketable, toned-down "homage" for the masses.

Bottom line: if you own(ed) the original M7, do not expect an experience close to that of the original. Instead, try Oud Absolu on its own, forget the M7 reference, and see if you enjoy it for what it is as a stand-alone fragrance, nothing more.

bp

This perfume has a very special place in my collection, since it was the first gift my son gave me.
All my perfumes have an underlying story, but this perfume is the most special.
Regarding the perfume itself I can say it is excellent (just like the original that it is based).
I love the intense fragrances of Yves Saint Laurent, like Kouros or M7.
I am very happy that the YSL has given a new chance to this mythical fragrance, and this reinterpretation is presented as charismatic as the original 2002.
Longevity and projection are phenomenal.
I recommend to all those who like strong perfumes and striking, regardless of whether it is male or female.
A special scent offered by most special person in the world. Lovely.

gevuchi
gevuchi

Am done with my first bottle opting for a second one and i am a woman, Love my M7.

gd15329

I test this beauty today at its full range... 6 sprays...

last 7-8 hours (after 2 hours close to skin, but not too close...) definitely noticeable and so damn amazing good... (I am out of words...)

If this is so good I can not even imagine how good original M7 is... oh my... I wish I can find a bottle some day...

Strange thing... (I loved it, my wife also loved it, but) I received no compliments from my "surroundings"...
when with my Gucci pour Homme Gucci for men(2003) at the same time (with the same people) I get numerous compliments EVERY time...

Next big thing (test)... I am going to try layering La Collection M7 Oud Absolu with my Gentlemen Only Givenchy for men OR Dior Homme Intense OR Cologne Intense Oud & Bergamot Jo Malone and see what happens...

stay tuned :)

-- George Dreamer 7/4/2013

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

*Yves Saint Laurent - M7 Oud Absolu

Citrousy opening, sweet taste of orange that lasts some minutes.

Rihght from the start i can feel the Patchouli so strong and intense with the Oud giving a warm woody accord to the scent.

Patchouli here is slightly sweet. Making a comparison with M7 (reformulated one), Oud Absolu is sweeter than the other. The other M7 is more camphorated and medicinal on agarwood.

At this M7 Oud Absolu, the Patchouli is the main note for me, so the agarwood only gives a warmness and streght to its base.

Then, we can fell a sweety resinous that comes with the dry, plus some leather felling. Very intriguing!

Very Good. I guess patch lovers will do beter with this M7 edition!

mdjonze1
mdjonze1

Don't need to smell the original because this oud absolu is AMAZING. Blind bought this off of good reviews and I'm glad I did. To me this could be like a cousin of DH/DHI which a my fav frags.

Wow... I mean wow...
I have never had the chance to find or smell the original M7, but if this one is the closest to it someone can get, then, again... wow...

One word: Thank you Kostas_Minimal.

I can't tell for sure...

or
La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme (I think this one wins for "just a hair")

So I have to buy them both AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...

--George Dreamer (20/3/2013)

sanzioonofre
sanzioonofre

Very similar to the original M7. I wore many bottles of the original formula and I can assure you that this version is even better than it. M7 oud absolu has the same bitter-sweet medicinal musty clove-like feeling that M7 had! I am very glad that YSL has brought it to life again!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I wanted to like this more than I did because what I read about the late, lamented M7 intrigues me. It's complex, I'll give it that. The top notes/heart notes of this are rather flowery and feminine - the base note smells like vanilla to me. I don't know if I want this...

When it comes to oud, I greatly prefer Creed Royal Oud.

acronia_1989
acronia_1989

The scent combined of oud and patchouli and mandarin that oud is intensive.

i like it. :)

»peculiar

جدا از خوش بو بودن یا نبودن خاص ه
مثل بیشتر عطرهایی که از برند ایو سن لورن دیدم
من که دوستش داشتم

jht4060
jht4060

I have both samples from a reputable source and full bottles of Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu and the original M7, and I agree with several others that Oud Absolu is very similar to M7. I have been wearing them one on each wrist for the last few hours and the Oud Absolu smells a bit smokier and a perhaps a bit lighter, but if I weren't comparing them directly I am sure I could not tell the difference. Their longevity is also similar. Claims that the new release is horribly diluted or inferior are perhaps based on comparing a memory of M7 to the new release. Memory is a strange beast. They are both terrific in a dark sexy way, like a distillation of your erotic dreams shrouded in black velvet and stored in an ebony box. Don't expect something big and aromatic, they are more like a smouldering glance than a siren call. If you like these you should consider trying Fahrenheit Absolute and Lalique Equus. They are different but share that dark sexy aura.

How can M7 and M7 Oud Absolu have such different release notes and smell so similar? Why was M7 a cult hit, then discontinued, then resurrected but with a name like a flanker? It is a murder mystery with no tidy ending... we will never know because Yves Saint Laurent, like almost all perfume makers, carefully guards the real compositions. Here is my interpretation. Well...guess.

On the release notes - most modern perfumes probably contain mostly synthetic odorants (though we can't be sure due to the secrecy), so the release notes aren't actually describing what goes into the bottle - they are intended as hints to aficionados like Fragrantica readers as to what kinds of natural scents they might associate with the perfume. The release notes are also presumably influenced by whatever the company thinks might sell, which accounts for the addition of Oud to the new release name. All of the notes in both releases are plausibly associated with the actual scent, except for the citrus notes (which either they made up or are buried so deeply under the woody notes as to be undetectable to my nose).

On the death and resurrection - historically oud (agarwood) is obtained from a particular kind of naturally occurring fungus-infected wood. Oud apparently is one of those scents that has been very difficult to approximate with synthetics, although I am not sure why. Due to over harvesting and increasing demand, the cost of natural oud started to skyrocket around the time M7 was first released. Since the scent of M7 depends heavily on oud, after a few years of this M7 became economically unsupportable. However, because of the now very high value of oud, companies like Givaudin and Firmenich began to work hard to come up with useful synthetic mixtures as replacements. Once these synthetic efforts succeeded, YSL reconsidered and decided to release M7 again using synthetic oud, perhaps choosing a different bottle and flanker name for marketing reasons, or perhaps to mute the cries of M7 enthusiasts that they had ruined a classic. Some of this is rampant guesswork, but it is true that Firmenich in particular now sells a rather good synthetic oud blend that you can get at Perfumer's Apprentice. To my nose, it, or something very like it, is a major component of M7 Oud Absolu.

There - Hercule Poirot has wrapped up the whole mystery for you!

Kostas_Minimal

Whoever voted poor/weak longetivity is just being a blinded hater.
This thing to me lasts even MORE than the original.
When i put m7 i cant smell it towards the end of the day,but oud absolut is there (fainted) for the next day i wake up!

herreroph
herreroph

Nice fragance, I must to say that I am fall in love with M7. I am oud oils collector, so I have some pure agarwood oil from Ensar Oud. The real oud oil is stronger, different in many ways and last for hours , but in the end is woody and smoky like this.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

Overall a nice fragrance. I enjoy it a lot, not as much as the former M7 though.
Some people told me it reminds them of their dentist's consulting room... I can understand that this frag is kind of disturbing. But that's the way I like it !

Also, why so many different votes about longevity and sillage ? For me, Oud Absolu is long lasting. I got about 8 hours with heavy to average sillage. This clearly isn't bad at all !

Marco Chau

armaniboy: I got my bottle at a high end department store call Lane Crawford in Hong Kong this evening. Since there is no tax or duty on cosmetics here, the prices for fragrance here are usually lower than other parts of the world.

Marco Chau

I don't know and care how the original M7 smelled like. The only thing I feel is this M7 Oud Absolu is wonderful and highly surprised by it's low price tag comparing to other oud based fragrances by Tom Ford or Giorgio Armani. US$65 for the 80ml bottle with this quality is very reasonable if not dirt cheap. A BIG YES for M7 Oud Absolu.

steve0580
steve0580

I smelled this while I was out today.

There is no doubt that the signature M7 smell is there. It's easy to pick up the scent. Maybe it's a little sweeter or a little more smoky but it's M7 all the way.

I have bottles of both the original M7 pre-formulation and the reformulated version. If anything, the reformulated version was a bit sweeter.

Regardless, Oud Absolu is simply the successor to the first two. To me, there's very little difference between the three, except that maybe the signature M7 smell in Absolu is a little more subdued.

You know how they have "regular" colognes and then later release the "intense" version after good sales? Well, M7 has done this in reverse. The original could be thought of intense and this would be more like a typical first run release.

Either way, not only would I happily own a bottle of this, I fully intend too in the future and have added it to my want list.

montox

Oud Absolu is a diluted version of the original M7.
Not bad, but ysl have castrated M7 with oud absolu.
It's a pity !

Transmeta
Transmeta

I like this, but has no real Oud in it. An affordable version of this is Korres Saffron, Amber and Cardamom, which has some real Oud in it.

Kostas_Minimal

Tried it today and then bought it...In comparison with the original M7 i have to say that the oud note in this one is more intense and faints slowly in the drydown.The original was the exact opposite,as the oud in the opening was more fainted.Well i dont get the negative comments,it is as good as the original...And to say the truth i liked better this one especially the drydown which is powdery more smokey and "sour"
Longetivity is excellent projects for 1 hour and then stays deep in the skin.Its been nearly 9 hours and im still smelling it intensely...
Its still mature,elegant,sexy and complex as the original...For me is a scent for a 30-35 year old man who is confident and mature.A lady killer scent for sure...
Overall score: 9.2/10

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A powdery, balmy, long lasting subtle fragrance which is chic and for the evening..

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0- 3.5 hours - 1.5 foot projection which is subtle yet strong. The penny drops, this is the same as Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme, its white powdery and subtle, yet projection keeps going. I get a little oud and a little what smells like leather (not listed)

3.5 hours - 6 hours - 6 inch projection. This now morphes into Fahrenheit Absolute and it is 80% the same, coupled with 20% Lanvin Arpege. It is not as powdery as the 1st couple of hours bu,t still very balmy

6 hours - 9 hours - 3 inch projection. Decent projection- nothing that floods the room but around you enough to keep you smelling it

9 hours -12 hours - Close to skin. Had a faint scent the next day, like smokey talcum

Evening wear, black suit, intelligent and chic

If you like this try Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme which you can get online for £7 - £14 and that frag is as good as this IMHO. Also Fahrenheit Absolute is like this. All 3 are lovely fragrances- what a wonderful choice out there

This frag is quite expensive

Very Good

grgfourtinas
grgfourtinas

I DONT HAVE THIS ONE BUT I FOUNDAND BOUGHT THE ORIGIAL(2002) M7 , AND LET ME TELL YOU IT DOSENT SMELL EXACTLY THE SAME..M7 AOUD ABSOLUTE IS A WATERED DOWN VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL M7 !

babak125
babak125

i love it

Go4broke
Go4broke

I went out with the aim of purchasing one of two possible fragrances. M7 and Egoiste Platinum. M7 is so hard to find but eventually i found what i thought was M7 but was in fact M7 Oud Absolou. I tried ONE small spray on the back of my hand at around 2:30pm. Here i am, after showering, washing my hands about 10 times 22 hours later, and i can still faintly smell it. Given a good 2-3 sprays on the neck and wrists, this stuff must last for DAYS. Projection and sillage are monster, even with that one spray. I ended up buying Egoiste Platinum because i prefered the smell, but unfortunately, it doesn't last. M7 Oud Absolou will be my next purchase. Partly because it lasts forever and partly because it smells exactly the same as Fendi Uomo. Which i love. This stuff is not for boys. Ages 35+ easily. Use lightly!

Shahz
Shahz

A slightly sweeter version of the original, perhaps a little more amber intense.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I guess the original M7 has a cult following, but not big enough to reissue the original, or was there some licensing problems? Or, it seems like they took this back to the marketing focus groups to see how they could improve on the original. They obviously used the M7 to use as a flanker and draw on the fans of the original, otherwise they should've just called it M10, or whatever the amount of scents came out after M7.

Oud Absolu starts with the scent of barely nothing...seriously, nothing. There is either a barrage of notes that quickly makes you anosmic, or there is a hefty dose of olfactory blockers that are working to initially do one thing--isolate the mandarin note, and little by little, have the fragrance slowly expand.

As the mandarin intensifies in volume, so does another note--spicy, much like cinnamon, or perhaps carnation, along with an undercurrent of incense like notes. The spicy facet seems to borrow from a structure like Opium for women, but sans the femme fatale floral sweetness and trails slightly of Opium's ambery musk note. It seems to smell linear at this point--spicy, citrus sweet but not candy like, incensy.

M7 was a sweet-dry-smoky-ambery bottle of yum. My eyes roll back in its undercurrent of sensuality, and my mind feels at peace with a certain centered clarity--Sexy Om in a bottle!

Oud Absolu, in my opinion, fails miserably to the original. It smelled strange on my first testing, probably because my nose kept fixating on one thing or the other, to the point I was thinking that this wasn't oud at all. Overall I thought it smelled nice, but not addictive. There's barely any sillage. It smells tiring when smelling it on your skin, in my opinion, because of that spicy note. It evaporates to absolutely nothing in a dismal 2 and a half hours.

Oud...Absolu...where? Where?!? The oud in the market is usually the scent of Cambodian Oud, sharp, bitter, green, a little sweet, rosy, woody, resinous. This (synthetic) oud, however, is like what's in Calvin Klein's Euphoria Intense or Guerlain Habit Rouge EdP.

Bottom line, they shouldn't have desecrated the M7 name, and I can't understand why they would try to bring semblance of it back if they would do it so half-heartedly. To me it's almost embarrassing!

Test first before buying, and this in no way, compares to the masterpiece of M7--so that's a sad sorry there. Scour the internet for your backup bottles of the original, guys. Looks like they might not re-issue the original ever.

ninie25
ninie25

A very nice fragance, oud is just wonderful. It's for men but honestly, i think it's could also wear by women. I put it on my skin, and wow, what a nice smell !
My boyfriend told me he would prefer smell it on me than on him.

moynah
moynah

Honesty best policy - First off, the packaging. hmmm plasticky, 'cheap' not the expected YSL standard I am used to I also noticed they released a ivory matching shape called in love again. Anyway back to the M7 Oud ab (OA) . I have to say until this scent I was an oud virgin. Yes, YSL OA was my first experience of that delicious agarwood... oh hell Im now addicted and buying everything with oud in it. (recommendations appreciated pls)
Beyond the ugly, bulky packaging, this scent is sheer heav-en! Real heaven. This is absolutely male only. Its got masculine written all over it. Myrr, incensy delight If you adore Oud, this is a MUST -- opps mustn't forget - the powder note, but hey I love powder scents

Versus the original M7? A DEBATE!! I think this new release slightly gets the edge, and wins. The old pre-reform M7 smells delicious, but it does have and 'old' woody aspect to it, and I seem to detect a stronger classical amber note in the original - which dates it a little

pknbgr
pknbgr

This is not a copy. It's a new fragrance which is called Oud Absolu.
Great scent and i think that this is the one of the best in mass market now.
A lot of patchouli, vetiver, oud and amber, very long longevity and a monstrous projection. What do you want something else?

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

I went out of my way to order this considering it could be 6 to 8 months before it's arrival here in the USA, as we saw with La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum. I was hopeful that Oud Absolu would be a deeper interpretation of M7. Instead, I found it to be a reformulation in a classier bottle. If you missed out on M7 when it was widely available, this will suffice. Does it have that sillage, projection and longevity it's ancestor had? No, but still a nice fragrance. Think of M7 restrained, harnessed and tamed. Is it necessary to chase after Oud Absolu if you've already obtained the M7 original? No. Unless you're a serious bottle collector. I'll conclude this by saying, I believe the M7 original deserves the title and packaging of La Collection Oud Absolu.

yazounet
yazounet

Worth buying it! Really it is not that heavy. At first I thought about the OUD to be very strong.In the first smell I thought of Gucci Pour Homme, but after 5 minutes I couldn't get my nose back from my hand.Now we are starting to have springtime, It is very suitable with its mandarine notes, M7 is more subtle and very gentleman. Thumbs up!

sreluah
sreluah

watered down, thats all. just watered down. definitely not worth then price (78 Euro) and definitely not worthy of a couture scent. I wish I could find the original

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

I like it, and it is not similar to the original M7 - otherwise they would have just launched that one back again.
I get so tired of people moaning all the time about reformulated perfumes... .

Just take another one, there are so many good ones on the market to not get desperate about a reformulation.

AngelRock77
AngelRock77

This is the shadow of the original M7,it's shy brother.I need to spray a lot to get a little tiny time of pleasure with it.And by short i mean 15 minutes short.

paulik
paulik

@bp YSL have been acquired by l'Oreal. That means MASSIVE reformulations, watering-down and cheap ingredients. They will destroy the brand in a few years. All they want now is to use the brand in order to make the highest profit margin while "YSL" still means something. Then they will shut everything down on account of low sales (duh).

Hilaire
Hilaire

I really enjoy this, I wasn't a fan of the original which I found had too much burnt rubber and amber for my taste. I think this is wearable, soft, deep, and very alluring. It's going on my want list.

Sillage is moderate and longevity good.

stephan
stephan

I prefer it to the original, it is a more refined and cleaner scent. The lasting power is good, but I wish it had more sillage.

Lorna_May's_Collection
Lorna_May's_Collection

I have just tested this one. Watered original M7 formula. NO strength at opening, NO sillage, NO longevity. - NO - . The only real thing is that YSL'Oreal now offers 80 ml at original 100 ml price for a perfume that is NOT M7. Within a single hour it has gone and no-one can appreciate it has been on my skin. Even me. Please, be aware & careful before you buy this one.

First of all let me say this is not M7 but more like a tribute to it. While the polishing and modernizing work they've done may be considered for several aspects commendable, on the other hand the current fragrance lacks the uniqueness of the original. The oud is there but not enough to justify the use of "absolu", while two new elements have been added in the note list (mhyrr and labdanum) providing a remarkable resinous vibe that was completely inexistent in the original formula.

Overall the fragrance is still head and shoulders above the average quality of today's masculines but IMO nowhere close to the uniqueness of the original M7 (and I'm not particularly fond of the vintage. Go figure).

Rating: 6.5/10

Bandit

Well, K1, for me it is definitely not conserving heritages (that'll mean to leave it, like it is), it's conserving money, as M7 was never a big seller and will now be reformulated, probably because of the high costs for oud.

Now they try it with the oud-hype as a selling point. Every moron should know, that M7 = oud. That's why they write it on the bottle. I really hope, that'll smell nice. But I don't really believe it, to be honest.

(I know, I should be happy and optimistic and all, I'm sorry... I just don't trust them a bit. Not one reformulation has ever made a perfume better...)

Bandit

I don't want to be the killjoy, but this is what YSL say about it themselfs:

"Resolutely contemporary, M7 OUD ABSOLU has been enhanced with brilliant mineral freshness, revealing the full richness of expression of the oud accord."

It is not only reformulated, but got additional "mineral freshness", something, which I cannot find in the usual M7. Maybe it's better than the original, but I doubt that.

It's still time to stock up on the old M7.

calyx93
calyx93

It will be interesting to see how this compares to the original - I'm certainly intrigued.

I can not believe.
Looks like I finally have the opportunity to acquire a fragrance of range M7.
I hope that this fragrance is so wonderful, charming and unique as the original M7.
Thank YSL. Do not let die this great perfume.
M7 is really special and emblematic.

La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent 4.28 out of 5 based on 820 ratings and 177 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent La Collection M7 Oud Absolu fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent La Collection M7 Oud Absolu, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.