Designers » T-Z » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

oud
La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. La Collection M7 Oud Absolu was launched in 2011. Top note is mandarin orange; middle note is patchouli; base notes are french labdanum, myrhh and agarwood (oud).

Mandarin Orange

Patchouli

French labdanum Myrhh Agarwood (Oud)

La Collection M7 Oud Absolu Fragrance Reviews

xopreciseox
xopreciseox

Cherry coke, play dough, burning incense and powder. Awesome juice, this is manly version dior homme and lidge. Projection and longevity moderate. 4 sprays and your good.

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

A woody oriental to remember.

"A resounding disruption for a fragrance of excess, the first to use a oud accord: it merges with myrrh and cistus to create a warm, intense and fascinating trail. Mandarin gives a top opening and delivers singular vibrancy, whereas a very potent patchouli wood facet provides depth and addictive tenacity. Resolutely contemporary, M7 OUD ABSOLU has been enhanced with brilliant mineral freshness, revealing the full richness of expression of the oud accord."

The ‘middle-eastern’ sector of the fragrance sphere is mysterious and often as poetic as the ‘One-Thousand and One Nights’ tales. It is only appropriate then that many fragrances houses (at least once) draw inspiration from the exotica and hence, the mystique and the ethos of certain cultures, among the hidden, unappreciated exotics that are somewhat surreptitious to the masses and entirely novel to the senses.

In that respect, M7 Oud Absolu is a wonderful fragrance that is light and friendly with the gloriousness of Oud, Myrrh, Ciste Labdanum and more heavy incense notes regurgitated for a western audience and stereotypically a conservative clientele.

M7 Oud Absolu is a fragrance that reminds me of the resulting fusion from ‘East meets West’ relations that occur purely due to luck; when you combine opposites and you reach something unexpected- and more importantly something unexpectedly good.

For me, M7 Oud Absolu was the breakthrough fragrance into the world of oud, only leading me on to appreciate the delights of Royal Oud (Creed), Interlude (Amouage), Oud Wood and Noir de Noir (Tom Ford).

The opening is the peel and juice of mandarin combined with myrrh and oud in the background. The oud and incense notes present an almost (expected) medicinal quality that isn’t bad… not at all… but it’s certainly unique and interesting when considering my collection of fragrances. Put bluntly, it is a contrapuntal note I now (in retrospect) can expect from the stickiness and sacrosanct reverence of bois de oud.

The first ten or so minutes of this fragrance starts very harsh with the twang of mandarin; ripe, verdant and very sweet with an undeniable heaviness too it, carried along with the myrrh. This creates something very mineral-esque and a touch synthetic. At this stage the fragrance is incredibly balmy and the combination of these two notes combine to recreate a fictional vanillin note; something sweet and cake dough-ish- It must be the sweet patchouli in the mix.

Things only get better in the drydown with the usual occurring. The sweetness shifts down a few notches whilst the woods come into play, something true to the woody oriental nature of some fragrances (blame the labdanum). Mandarin becomes merely a whisper, but still present throughout, only accentuating the beautiful musty smokiness of the oud and the leather-amber tinges of labdanum.

M7 Oud Absolu takes oud on a level that doesn’t perpetuate the sometimes irritable rotting character, but alters it with a decent mix of sweetness and common florals. Albeit, this juice contains the perfect equilibrium between an interesting roughness, expected of eastern fragrances (Interlude by Amouage is a good example of the smack your face ideal) and malty smoothness and sweet honey-like accords. What you get is a fusion opening of barely restrained ‘oomph’ and a fusion dry down of sensual campfire woods and easily likeable florals (which you wouldn’t pick up on unless told about).

However, I wouldn’t call this fragrance “Oud Absolu”, and whilst it is virtually omnipresent throughout the life of wear, it merely remains the backbone in the composition. Certainly this fragrance is enjoyable from beginning to end, but I don’t think it warrants the name. In light of this, Myrrh Absolu may have been a more appropriate name.

I also feel, in terms of wearability that this is a little bit ‘too’ out there to make this a fragrance for daily wear. It is more appropriate for the sporadic occasion or the intermittent wear when one is in the mood for something quite easily distinguishable from the rest; again, sometimes it is good to fit in. The sweet myrrh makes this EdT distinguishable, for it truly is a sticky and pungent antiseptic note.

YSL’s take on an oud note is one that plays on the heaviness of scent and character. It remains totally level as the mineral character of citrus peel changes the olfactic perception of oud wood and myrrh with something initially wet and fresh, only preparing you for the marvelous drydown that is smokier and dryer, that lingers like a treat.

Accessible and user friendly exotica. 3/5

K1
K1

I was trapped by a talkative salesperson and had enough time to scan it again for about tenth time!
Well, I think I was just furious about discontinuing of M7 the Great, and released my wrath over this one!
M7 Oud Absolu in fact is a nice fragrance, yet remarkable and unique just like its ancestor. It opens with oud mixed with citric notes, sweetened by gourmandish myrrh and controlled to be dry by patchouli.
The dry down is perfect and softer than M7.
The lasting power and projection is high and higher, respectively! The sillage is notable good!

marios4
marios4

Very good fragr, softer and smoothers than the original M7 (why a very good flanker of the first oud fragrance???); the drydown on my skin is very very similar to Ambre Sultan, the masterpiece of Serge Lutens....do you agree???

M7 is drier, while Ambre Sultan is a little bit more sweet and soft....

Skeletor
Skeletor

I was out looking for a new scent for my collection when I came up to the Yves Saint Laurent booth where this strange black cube took me and my friends eye. I applied it straight away and from that point i fell in love with this scent. It is a sweet but sophisticated fragrance which gives me a kind of bubblegum vibe when it radiates off my skin. It is a very long lasting scent which lasts 12+ hours. I have been receiving many compliments while wearing this beautiful scent. Definitely worth every dollar spent on it.

be careful with this stuff, it might get you to much poon

Goallingoa
Goallingoa

A lot of mandarin and a bad synth oud note, this is nothing like the original M7 :(

smoj
smoj

It happened today.. I've had M7 oud absolu for about 2 months, and I was very disappointed with it, it smells like floor cleaner, at least the top notes do, really medicine type thick syrupy. not very pleasant to my nose..

then today i thought i'd put some on, maybe in the heat it would change things up a bit, and well... did it just.. if i can get past the opening, which lasts no longer then 5-10 minutes I'm left with a really warm smooth patchouli, amber sent, with a dirty orange underneath it. now it becomes clear how much of a masterpiece this is.
and i am happy i didn't dismiss this frag from the get go.

I'm not sure how much this projects during the dry down on me, but i think I'm happy enough if i can only smell it, but I'm sure with the quality of YSL at least someone should be able to smell me a little.

anyways, if this scent doesn't work for you at the beginning, take your time with it and you'll come to enjoy this scent, and appreciate why its a modern masterpiece..

Kanz Oman
Kanz Oman

I am a Lady & i used this fragrance, it just smells soo nice. This is for sure not only men perfume.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Oud and patchouli are warm and just a touch medicinal from the myrrh. The labdanum comes in and warms and sweetens the entire composition, making it very cozy, wearable, not an overwhelming oud but something one could wear everyday for any occasion. Lovely composition, also would like to say that this is easily an unisex scent, great for everyone.

pelinkovac
pelinkovac

so insensitve, so divine, it's unique case where e reformulation is slightly different but even a little bit better then original, fuc... good (10+/10)

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

This Juice is amazing! I LOVE it. I own three bottles of it and intend to burn through each and everyone of them...like their going out of style. It's blended flawlessly! So affordable. A must try!

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

Have both, one circa 2008 and this absolu. I like the Oud Absolu more than the original. Better in projection, and in the dry down. The older smells more vanilla than this one. Love it!

Sheks
Sheks

Got this for my husband but i wear it sometimes, it smells great! i get away with it as the dry down is very nice. Sometimes, i mix it with wood mystique by Estee Lauder and sometimes, i combine it with sahaa noir and get a totally different scent which makes people stop me to ask what i'm wearing.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

Yep, this is quite awesome. Grows on you too, which is always good. I cant compare it to the original as I havent sampled that yet, but from my understanding, this is a civilised and cultured version of M7. Whether that is true or not, judging this by it's own merits, I'd personally find many an occasion to wear this.

It's quite 'bubblegum' sweet to my nose but highly pleasant. I wouldn't shy from calling it fairly unisex - perhaps in an Antaeus gender-bender sense (i.e for reasons attributed more to cult and style than the raw nature of the scent itself).Either way, it certainly stands out from a million others.

There are currently so many that are milking the oud cash cow, but at least the lineage of this fragrance can rightfully lay claim to pioneering oud with significance here in the West.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

On first testing I was like, wait a minute I KNOW this, what is it, where have I smelled this before and it was only later as I got repeated wafts did I realise this was the smell of Dubai when you walk behind immaculately groomed Arabs in their pristine white clothes, whatever they are called. It's as if you put out a campfire with cherry coke. An oud for Westerners. Smooth and very sexy.

lucasdeus94
lucasdeus94

Well, sometimes the purist side of ourselves screams more than the sensible and realistic side. M7 Oud Absolu is NOT the same as the original M7. Yes, this is true. But... the M7 feel is the same wearing all of the three formulations and the overral smell, even not bieng identical, is pretty much the same as the other two formulations. For the average guy, all three will smell identical after about 30 minutes.

M7 Oud Absolu opens with a blast of myrhh and mandarin orange, with the oud very in the background. The feeling is very mineral and balmy, and is the major difference between the two other versions and this one. This open balmy and mineral, and the original M7 opens very medicinal, like a cherry cough syrup. This stay for about 20 minutes, that's when the oud comes. And comes very strong. The heart of this composition, whit stays about 30 minutes to 4 hours after the application is a mix of oud, myrhh, a little bit of labdanum (to give a resinous feel) and patchouli on the background. After this heart, the patchouli starts to appear as a major note. The base of this fragrance, that occurs about 4 hours after application is basically a mix between oud and patchouli, with hints of myrhh and labdanum (the same story again, to give the resinous feel of amber of the original M7). And it stays this way until the fragrance dies. I normally do 7 sprays with this one.

The overall feeling is that you a wearing M7. It smells like M7 and the feeling is the same. Even having some differences in the scent, I can say that this is easily 90% the same as the original. And the changes that they made turned this one sexier and more modern. So, it can be a downpoint for some, but can be an advantage to others.

Here go the ratings:
Scent: 10 (Is M7. And is closer to the vintage formulation than the reformulation)
Lasting power: 9 (8 to 10 hours on my skin. Weaker than the other two, but still excellent)
Projection: 8 (Projects very well for the first 2 hours, then 2 hours of moderate projection and becames skin for the rest of the fragrance)
Sillage: 6 (It leaves a scent trail, but disappears quickly from the place. Very elegant)
Versatility: 8 (If it's not hot, you can wear it for about anything.)
Final note: 9,5

It's still M7. And it's still a masterpiece. However, it's not the same as the others, and prefering the cherry cough syrup opening of the original than the mineral and balmy opening of Oud Absolu in addition to the lost of performance, this loses half a point in my book. But I love then almost equally. M7 will be forever my favourite fragrance ever, and this is a very close and cheap alternative for those who don't want to spend loads of money on the original M7. You will still be wearing the king M7 using this one.

Nevermind the haters and enjoy M7 Oud Absolu!

popescuionut100
popescuionut100

Strong distinguishing scent.The opening smells just like cookie leaven with rum essence.That fades in a few minutes and it becomes spicy.
It also has the Opium style in it,not in the opening but in the dry down i smell Opium .
Longevity and projection are good,not heavy but good enough to buy if you like the scent!
Good for winter and autumn,day or night!
7/10,i like it but i wasn't blown away!

usas
usas

Don't have it but tested it twice.
It's a good scemt, distinguishing, but not for me. I think it's too sweet and cloying. Sprayed it on my wrist today and sometimes I get a whiff, but not particularly a positive one.

tomerits
tomerits

A great scent. To my nose it is very similar to original m7 (i own a vintage bottle) and i have to agree with a lot of the reviews that says that its a toned down version of the original.(not always a bad thing)
I get a good 7hrs with 5 sprays and that's enough for me and again scent wise its almost the same as original m7.in todays designer market its way better then most of what is out there.
Highly recommended.
My rank 4.5/5.very very good.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

Quickly becoming my new favorite. I never tried the original, so I won't go down the road of comparisons. But this is very enjoyable to wear. On my skin, the oud is barely noticeable, but the labdanum and myrhh stand out. A winner.

Stevie.D.
Stevie.D.

Sadly on my skin this has been the biggest disappointment in my recent batch of samples. I detect no oud and the whole show is over in barely half an hour. A shame.

Washix
Washix

به نظرم اشتباه هست که این کار را با ام7 اصلی مقایسه کنید
عود ابسلو شخصیت مستقل و متفاوت خودش را داره و فکر میکنم خیلی کم از ام7 چیزی به ارث برده باشه
به هر حال من این کار را حتی به ام7 ترجیح میدم

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

M7 Oud Absolu, upon sprayed, has a plum jam sort of smell, probably coming from the mixture of mandarin and patchouli. A few minutes later, the oud steps to the front with a smoky and incence texture. The oud here is easily perceptible, but the note behaves quite polite and is not difficult to appreciate. After about 1 hour later, the oud then mellows into the background while the fragrance dries down into an amber-patchouli base. On me, the labdunum and myrrh are the most prominent notes throughout the drydown, which make the scent ambery and leathery, with a slight smoky and rubbery twist lent by oud.

The sillage is overall soft and the longevity is at least 10 hours. I haven't yet had the chance to test the original M7, thus cannot make the comparison. But I find it a beautiful fragrance on its own. Maybe not really an oud fragrance, but a sensuous amber and leather fragrance with a nice oud nuance. And it's definitely unisex. It may not be groundbreaking in today's circumstance, but it's well executed nontheless. I'd recommend it as an elegant amber and incense fragrance.

Even Bra
Even Bra

This is not our Original M7 The Great.

The pyramid is very different, the perfume also. And Oud Absolu is so chemical... It has not the power of an Original M7 V1.
I think it's a really bad smell, with fat mandarine and mhyrr...
The reformulated of a reformulated. We Know we are away from the beauty of the original M7.
But Dear Friends, these and other things are something you know as much as me ;)

hasanadeel
hasanadeel

This is a gorgeous scent and very pleasing yet intoxicating. Try layering it with Mancera, The Oud and see the magic, the combination of these two create...compliments,compliments and compliments, non stop..You will be noticed for sure, of the aroma and sillage, this one projects ...Just the best of the best ..

weaselize

everytime perfumes get discontinued (sometimes thankfully, sometimes unfortunatelly)the new ones don,t get a chance that bothers . But you,re right, everyone their opinion (including MY OWN lol). peace fragrancedevils

Endymion
Endymion

@weaselize
What if you just let other people have THEIR OWN opinion, as you have yours?

weaselize

blablabla, the original is gone, weee weee weee, please stop crying about the original is gone. It,s gone ok. Live with it. This one is also very good. Always teh same when a perfume isn,t available anymore. Suddenly the few people who have it and have twisted memories to it show up and crying the whole website under acting like it,s another worldwonder that should be protected by unesco and exagerating that this has nuttin to do with it. Just live with and enjoy this one, it,s good indeed!
It,s not mr Ford himself who created it. True, without him it was never there. Much appreciated that mr Ford launched it but creators Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas themselves also deserve credits

Sanskilainen
Sanskilainen

It is so sad that the Original M7 is gone. This one has nothing to do with the real thing. The ingredients are cheap and oud is gone. Instead of oud this cent dominates of patchouli. Do not be fooled by the name! It is not oud! Choose Tom Fords Oud instead, he is the one behind the original M7.

lemonfreshman
lemonfreshman

The smell is like wet wood, or a sauna/humidor. A good scent, but low to moderate longevity and sillage for me. Could have been phenomenal but just pretty good, and weak.

macverickendo
macverickendo

This cologne is amazing on my body. I applied two sprays on my body, 2 mins later, I felt edible. I would've eaten myself if I had my way. Lol.
Guess I'm gonna make this one my signature.

chanakya
chanakya

Bought this one in Dubai during my recent trip to Rome and not a day in Rome passed without spraying this one on me..both my Narcisco Rodriguez (still one of my massive favorites) & Bvlgari Man Extreme sat in my suitcase untouched for the whole trip. And the longevity was amazing! but then, i thought, since it was Rome and cold climates usually let the fragrances last longer, i will hold my judgement till i got back to sunny Singapore, where i live. Now i have worn in for about a week and mannn, this perfume lastssss! If it can last a day in this heat, then it is one hell of a juice!! :-)

maio2012
maio2012

Very similar to M7, but smoother and not so long-lasting. The projection is not enormous as M7´s, but is good. I think it is easier to understand and use than the original, yet not for everyone. I love both.

lovetribe
lovetribe

not different from old M7.one of my preferite!!!!!

christianne1
christianne1

Oh my goodness gracious this is fantastic! I just got a sample out of curiosity, not really expecting to wear it for myself, I just wanted to know what it smelled like....but this is totally unisex! So smooth and sexy and well balanced. I just love the opening and could spray it over and over (if my sample wasn't only 3ml). I'm surprised some people don't like the opening because it is a highlight for me. Love! Dry down is nice also. I don't care if this is in a totally manly looking bottle I will end up with a full bottle of this. I am so pleasantly surprised that this is wearable for myself. I am so glad I decided to try this. Ladies don't be afraid to try this for yourself!

Well I'll be honest...Somebody asked me what I thought about the new formulation M7 compared to the old TF M7.
Well I've never owned the original despite it's legendary status and my time as a fragrance enthusiast. I remember smelling it in a shop and thinking it was great but I can't recall the precise nuances in my olfactory memory banks.
Also having not tried the new one I couldn't really answer the question or have much of an informed opinion on the subject.
Now that I have I can't comment on the comparison all I can say is that this is a superb fragrance full of class. This really puts a lot of highly priced and prized niche fragrances to shame. The opening is lush fruity madarin orange and patchouli the Oud is perfect and it's slightly resinous too.
Great stuff, elegant and perfectly unisex, great value for the quality. YSL M7 Oud Absolu has a huge amount going for it and is revered with good reason.
I'm adding it to my collection.

dmd63
dmd63

very mixed feelings about this.the first couple of sprays and the scent is horrible, just like shit. the drydown however is great, outstadind scent long projection and silage. don´t be afraid with the 1st impression.

asheble93
asheble93

I had been wanting this one for awhile and finally decided to just blind buy it and hope for the best. At first I wasn't that impressed, and fearing that I might be having some buyer's remorse I let it sit unused for a few days. Having just finished a full wear, any fears of buyers remorse have been quelled!

M7 Oud Absolu is now one of my favorite scents and if I had to describe it in a few words I would have to use: warm, powdery, masculine, woody, etc.

I also must add that a lot of this scent's character, for me at least, shows itself in the drydown; that's where the incense and wood have a synergistic effect, which makes this scent so appealing.

The one chip in this otherwise porcelain complexion is that the opening is a bit too heavy with mandarin, it dominates the first 3-5 minutes, after which it slowly fades into the background.

Overall: 8.0/10

mikkov26
mikkov26

Smells very similar to original M7, but is a little smoother and better in every way. Longevity is good and sillage modarate. The scent itself is mysterious and different, sweet and kind of medicinal like many have said, deep and well layered and the juice is very well mixed.

Imo this La Collection -series is very well done overall, I have Rive Gauche too from it and love it as well. I think they have just updated the scents, speculations about poor longevity are totally rubbish; Rive Gauche +12 hours on my skin, M7 6-8 hours -same result as with the originals, no more nore less.

Reformulations are not always a downgrade, I think some people just want to deny it and that's why they say these are watered versions from the originals. I think these reformulations are superb and a little more modern than the older ones.

YSL M7 Oud Absolu gets definitely a perfect 10 from me.

montox

Oud is present but I find myrrh dominates on my skin...
anyway this is the shadow of the original M7...

garett
garett

Ok ,, I had 4 bottles of same design in front of me.One was JAZZ (80's) , one was river gauche(2003) or something like that.SA showed me river G and JAZZ and was wanting me to buy JAZZ , but i saw OUD written on this bottle and told her to instead let me check this out. Immediately i took this one.It was written on behind the bottle that this is from 2002.
Ingredients were also written , oud , patouchli etc.

As far as i know oud is some wood , so i knew this would be very sexy and manly.I bought it without further interrogation and i am happy now.

This one is sexy and smooth like a cream.Smoky like dior fahrenheit absolute.But this one is linear too which i love.It is definitely sexy and will not cause problems like headaches and cloying effects. I think all men should go for woody ones too once in a while and just not keep on buying aquatic and lemony modern scents.
And last but not least , oh wow man , the bottle is chic and kind of like right out of some fashion show.It deserves to be placed in front of a nice mirror(the one with bulbs in fashion shows).
10/10 for this.
Oh yea and longevity is 7+ to 8+ depends on your skin.

houstcs
houstcs

Perfectly said ovrnightr

Ovrnightr
Ovrnightr

This fragrance is one of my favorites. The bottle is gorgeous and the atomizer is perfect. You can read the notes in the header, or seek out a more knowledgeable reviewer's take on the development of the fragrance itself, I'm only here to share my thoughts on the character.

I was fortunate enough to acquire some vintage M7 (I had to have it after falling so hard for this one) and, in my opinion, the two are VERY similar. As others have said, M7 OA is a somewhat softer version of its predecessor, and is smoother in all aspects. I find it to have more layers and, as such, a bit more depth. Vintage is more poignant and spirited, but somewhat linear. I don't know if I prefer one to the other; they're both simply fantastic. I'll be more likely to wear M7 OA to the office and around town, and Vintage to special events or romantic nights (it's rarity adds to the treasure). If you've never smelled both, and find yourself interested, Oud Absolu is a very close reproduction of the storied original. You simply cannot go wrong with either.

Darko_sk
Darko_sk

Completely agree with Merclex :)

Merclex
Merclex

This fragrance is nice in fact is more then nice. This is a beautiful smell for autumn and winter, this says I'm a man I know what I want and I want stop till I get it :) it makes you feel happy and it makes you humbled. I know fragrances don't make a man but they do make a man smell nice. This also says I'm a confident man I like to be independent and I'm a go getter :) That's what this M7 says. It is up to the man to stand up to what he wears. Sorry I might have got it wrong for some people this is just my humbled opinion.

janine76
janine76

love this fragrance more than the original, and its that nice i'd like to wear this myself.

gr8daddyg
gr8daddyg

The first spray reminds me of the smell of Dr. Pepper. It's a sweet, crisp blast that dries down into a warm, almost powdery musk.

kaizer121
kaizer121

Now that I've given this a few wearings I fel comfortable posting a review.

Firstly, I never experienced M7 proper, so I can't comment on the comparison. As far as my nose is concerned this is a stand alone scent.

The fragrance opens with a note that's not unlike cherry cough syrup, it's a mix of the mandarin and the oud primarily. Very shortly after that, the drydown leads to the middle notes wehre the mandarin disappears completely and the oud and patchouli take over.

The patchouli dominates the middle note while the oud holds its own, albeit as a secondary scent. As the middle note wears on the scent becomes thicker, and more incensey, probably on account of the Myrrh. As it finishes its development, the incense sticks around with a soft very slight oud note in the background. It's not unlike a dry version of Body Kouros at this point (I happen to LOVE Body Kouros)

Projection is quite good at first, I can still smell if from my writs as I type roughly half an hour after I apply (you'd be surprised how few fragrances work like that, I get amonsic very quickly and need to put my nose right up to the point of application with most fragrances) but this dies down to a soft but not weak projection roughly two hours later and stays that way for roughly 8-10 hours. Longevity on me is, as stated, 8-10 hours with this never REALLY becoming a skin scent, but because I have soft (not oily) skin I tend to get quite above average longevity out of everything.

Overall, it's not what I expected (I had hoped for an oud dominant fragrance with background notes of incense and patchouli, instead I got the reverse) but then this is a fragrance designed before the main Oud craze and I shouldn't really have expected a modern oud powerhouse. Still, it's a great, surprisingly versatile (any time, particularly at night but daytime is acceptable, in the Winter, Fall, and even the Spring is acceptable) fragrance, that frankly, smells like sex. It's a very sexy fragrance, and I think that for $60 on Amazon it's hard to argue against it. For those who want to dip their toe in the Oud waters, this is a great jumping off point. For anybody looking for a good fragrance to get intimate with, this is a great option.

CDGfan
CDGfan

I have 2 vintage bottles and I have grown to love the new M7 oud absolu, its not as strong as the vintage but is far better than the reformulation of M7 in 2008. Longevity is great and sillage is close to the skin to average. It is easily available for 55-60 bucks online and is a definite buy for anyone wanting to dabble in oud fragrances.

Bandit

I've got the original M7, which is a warm wood bomb lasting for hours and hours. This new version is a travesty against it. I know, the old one is not any longer around and all, so why whining, and you're right, the new one might be a better choice than most of the rest of the stuff made for men (as they all smell very similiar to each other nowadays, imho), but still, they use the term "M7", so it has to be compared.

The new one is overpriced and underwhelming for that price tag. It reminds one of the old, but the longevity is a joke. I would have never thought that this is possible, but this new one is a fleeting smell. That's a paradox in itself. 3-4 hours and it is gone. Meh.

Actually I couldn't give an advice on buying or not. If you like it and you have lots of money, go for it. If you have the old version, save your money.

The old M7 was a must-have, the new one definatially isn't (same with the whole house of YSL: Vintages aside the contemporary offerings are absolutely unimportant, the house virtually dead).

If you enjoy oud, but don't want to go all out rotting log with an attar, this would be a good choice.
Oud is present, more present than in some other supposed oud fragrances I've tried, but I actually find myrrh dominates on my skin. There's also a good bit of sweet mandarin going on.
It's on the sweet/woody side. It would work as a unisex if you're a woman who likes to wear oud.

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

If you read the older reviews here, people tend to say that M7 is much much better than Oud Absolu. And I have always disagreed with that, always.

If you're reading the more recent reviews, Oud Absolu starts to get the credits it deserves, and indeed, it's more well-blended, it doesn't attack aggrressively / "in your face" like M7 does. Oud Absolu is rounder, more refined and smooth.

In terms of staying power, I think the original one wins slightly, but since I am never that comfortable wearing the original one, it doesn't bother me even if M7 lasted for 3 whole days. And OA has a pretty good staying power itself, at least 7 hours.

Bottom line, definitely OUD ABSOLU. And you can say bye bye to M7, sorry.

-Mr. Almond-

east17
east17

I had the pleasure of testing this in France (by the way, if you ever want to satisfy your basest urges to sample ungodly amounts of fragrances, walk into a large French department store or mall. They have walls of fragrances with hundreds of testers...no SA's to give you a hard sell or painful sales pitch...perfect)

But I digress...

M7 Oud Absolu is a fine fragrance all by itself. However, similarly to what Dior did with Eau Sauvage (Parfum), Oud Absolu is NOT a natural extension or reformulation of M7. Oud Absolu should be considered separate from the realm of M7...a distant flanker at best. Thus, it should more appropriately be thought of as just "Oud Absolu".

The original M7 gives that in-your-face medicinal oud note with some vague amber sweetness and a vetiver punch. Oud Absolu massively tones down the M7 oud note and instead quietly sits near the skin like a well-behaved child at the dinner table. It is not anything awe-inspiring or otherwise groundbreaking. It IS however, a very "nice" masculine scent that is pretty easily wearable and is definitely NOT a generic scent such as (paraphrasing from Luca Turin here) "clone turbo sport blue for men".

With Oud Absolu, it appears that YSL'Oreal did what any self-respecting conglomerate would do: attempt to cash in on the name of a commercial flop fondly remembered as a bold work of genius ahead of its time... in an age of neutered, wispy eau de toilettes for men.... and create a marketable, toned-down "homage" for the masses.

Bottom line: if you own(ed) the original M7, do not expect an experience close to that of the original. Instead, try Oud Absolu on its own, forget the M7 reference, and see if you enjoy it for what it is as a stand-alone fragrance, nothing more.

bp

This perfume has a very special place in my collection, since it was the first gift my son gave me.
All my perfumes have an underlying story, but this perfume is the most special.
Regarding the perfume itself I can say it is excellent (just like the original that it is based).
I love the intense fragrances of Yves Saint Laurent, like Kouros or M7.
I am very happy that the YSL has given a new chance to this mythical fragrance, and this reinterpretation is presented as charismatic as the original 2002.
Longevity and projection are phenomenal.
I recommend to all those who like strong perfumes and striking, regardless of whether it is male or female.
A special scent offered by most special person in the world. Lovely.

gevuchi
gevuchi

Am done with my first bottle opting for a second one and i am a woman, Love my M7.

gd15329

I test this beauty today at its full range... 6 sprays...

last 7-8 hours (after 2 hours close to skin, but not too close...) definitely noticeable and so damn amazing good... (I am out of words...)

If this is so good I can not even imagine how good original M7 is... oh my... I wish I can find a bottle some day...

Strange thing... (I loved it, my wife also loved it, but) I received no compliments from my "surroundings"...
when with my Gucci pour Homme Gucci for men(2003) at the same time (with the same people) I get numerous compliments EVERY time...

Next big thing (test)... I am going to try layering La Collection M7 Oud Absolu with my Gentlemen Only Givenchy for men OR Dior Homme Intense OR Cologne Intense Oud & Bergamot Jo Malone and see what happens...

stay tuned :)

-- George Dreamer 7/4/2013

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

*Yves Saint Laurent - M7 Oud Absolu

Citrousy opening, sweet taste of orange that lasts some minutes.

Rihght from the start i can feel the Patchouli so strong and intense with the Oud giving a warm woody accord to the scent.

Patchouli here is slightly sweet. Making a comparison with M7 (reformulated one), Oud Absolu is sweeter than the other. The other M7 is more camphorated and medicinal on agarwood.

At this M7 Oud Absolu, the Patchouli is the main note for me, so the agarwood only gives a warmness and streght to its base.

Then, we can fell a sweety resinous that comes with the dry, plus some leather felling. Very intriguing!

Very Good. I guess patch lovers will do beter with this M7 edition!

mdjonze1
mdjonze1

Don't need to smell the original because this oud absolu is AMAZING. Blind bought this off of good reviews and I'm glad I did. To me this could be like a cousin of DH/DHI which a my fav frags.

Wow... I mean wow...
I have never had the chance to find or smell the original M7, but if this one is the closest to it someone can get, then, again... wow...

One word: Thank you Kostas_Minimal.

I can't tell for sure...

or
La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme (I think this one wins for "just a hair")

So I have to buy them both AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...

--George Dreamer (20/3/2013)

sanzioonofre
sanzioonofre

Very similar to the original M7. I wore many bottles of the original formula and I can assure you that this version is even better than it. M7 oud absolu has the same bitter-sweet medicinal musty clove-like feeling that M7 had! I am very glad that YSL has brought it to life again!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I wanted to like this more than I did because what I read about the late, lamented M7 intrigues me. It's complex, I'll give it that. The top notes/heart notes of this are rather flowery and feminine - the base note smells like vanilla to me. I don't know if I want this...

When it comes to oud, I greatly prefer Creed Royal Oud.

acronia_1989
acronia_1989

The scent combined of oud and patchouli and mandarin that oud is intensive.

i like it. :)

»peculiar

جدا از خوش بو بودن یا نبودن خاص ه
مثل بیشتر عطرهایی که از برند ایو سن لورن دیدم
من که دوستش داشتم

jht4060
jht4060

I have both samples from a reputable source and full bottles of Yves Saint Laurent M7 Oud Absolu and the original M7, and I agree with several others that Oud Absolu is very similar to M7. I have been wearing them one on each wrist for the last few hours and the Oud Absolu smells a bit smokier and a perhaps a bit lighter, but if I weren't comparing them directly I am sure I could not tell the difference. Their longevity is also similar. Claims that the new release is horribly diluted or inferior are perhaps based on comparing a memory of M7 to the new release. Memory is a strange beast. They are both terrific in a dark sexy way, like a distillation of your erotic dreams shrouded in black velvet and stored in an ebony box. Don't expect something big and aromatic, they are more like a smouldering glance than a siren call. If you like these you should consider trying Fahrenheit Absolute and Lalique Equus. They are different but share that dark sexy aura.

How can M7 and M7 Oud Absolu have such different release notes and smell so similar? Why was M7 a cult hit, then discontinued, then resurrected but with a name like a flanker? It is a murder mystery with no tidy ending... we will never know because Yves Saint Laurent, like almost all perfume makers, carefully guards the real compositions. Here is my interpretation. Well...guess.

On the release notes - most modern perfumes probably contain mostly synthetic odorants (though we can't be sure due to the secrecy), so the release notes aren't actually describing what goes into the bottle - they are intended as hints to aficionados like Fragrantica readers as to what kinds of natural scents they might associate with the perfume. The release notes are also presumably influenced by whatever the company thinks might sell, which accounts for the addition of Oud to the new release name. All of the notes in both releases are plausibly associated with the actual scent, except for the citrus notes (which either they made up or are buried so deeply under the woody notes as to be undetectable to my nose).

On the death and resurrection - historically oud (agarwood) is obtained from a particular kind of naturally occurring fungus-infected wood. Oud apparently is one of those scents that has been very difficult to approximate with synthetics, although I am not sure why. Due to over harvesting and increasing demand, the cost of natural oud started to skyrocket around the time M7 was first released. Since the scent of M7 depends heavily on oud, after a few years of this M7 became economically unsupportable. However, because of the now very high value of oud, companies like Givaudin and Firmenich began to work hard to come up with useful synthetic mixtures as replacements. Once these synthetic efforts succeeded, YSL reconsidered and decided to release M7 again using synthetic oud, perhaps choosing a different bottle and flanker name for marketing reasons, or perhaps to mute the cries of M7 enthusiasts that they had ruined a classic. Some of this is rampant guesswork, but it is true that Firmenich in particular now sells a rather good synthetic oud blend that you can get at Perfumer's Apprentice. To my nose, it, or something very like it, is a major component of M7 Oud Absolu.

There - Hercule Poirot has wrapped up the whole mystery for you!

Kostas_Minimal

Whoever voted poor/weak longetivity is just being a blinded hater.
This thing to me lasts even MORE than the original.
When i put m7 i cant smell it towards the end of the day,but oud absolut is there (fainted) for the next day i wake up!

herreroph
herreroph

Nice fragance, I must to say that I am fall in love with M7. I am oud oils collector, so I have some pure agarwood oil from Ensar Oud. The real oud oil is stronger, different in many ways and last for hours , but in the end is woody and smoky like this.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

Overall a nice fragrance. I enjoy it a lot, not as much as the former M7 though.
Some people told me it reminds them of their dentist's consulting room... I can understand that this frag is kind of disturbing. But that's the way I like it !

Also, why so many different votes about longevity and sillage ? For me, Oud Absolu is long lasting. I got about 8 hours with heavy to average sillage. This clearly isn't bad at all !

Marco Chau

armaniboy: I got my bottle at a high end department store call Lane Crawford in Hong Kong this evening. Since there is no tax or duty on cosmetics here, the prices for fragrance here are usually lower than other parts of the world.

Marco Chau

I don't know and care how the original M7 smelled like. The only thing I feel is this M7 Oud Absolu is wonderful and highly surprised by it's low price tag comparing to other oud based fragrances by Tom Ford or Giorgio Armani. US$65 for the 80ml bottle with this quality is very reasonable if not dirt cheap. A BIG YES for M7 Oud Absolu.

steve0580
steve0580

I smelled this while I was out today.

There is no doubt that the signature M7 smell is there. It's easy to pick up the scent. Maybe it's a little sweeter or a little more smoky but it's M7 all the way.

I have bottles of both the original M7 pre-formulation and the reformulated version. If anything, the reformulated version was a bit sweeter.

Regardless, Oud Absolu is simply the successor to the first two. To me, there's very little difference between the three, except that maybe the signature M7 smell in Absolu is a little more subdued.

You know how they have "regular" colognes and then later release the "intense" version after good sales? Well, M7 has done this in reverse. The original could be thought of intense and this would be more like a typical first run release.

Either way, not only would I happily own a bottle of this, I fully intend too in the future and have added it to my want list.

montox

Oud Absolu is a diluted version of the original M7.
Not bad, but ysl have castrated M7 with oud absolu.
It's a pity !

Transmeta
Transmeta

I like this, but has no real Oud in it. An affordable version of this is Korres Saffron, Amber and Cardamom, which has some real Oud in it.

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

I own the original M7.. I stroke and kiss the bottle goodnight every night. This... hmmm its a good second place. Put it this way, The Original amber bottle is the gorgeously sexy kinky bitch you so want. The M7 Oud is her sister, but not as sexy, not as filthy, but IS pretty. If you are happy with 2nd place select this. If you want miss OMFG More more more!!!! Stay with Original M7 .. If you have never tested the original M7.. get to it!!

P.s. the main difference I find between original and new is that the new is more smokey.

If I EVER cross paths with a guy wearing this - I apologise to his wife, in advance

Kostas_Minimal

Tried it today and then bought it...In comparison with the original M7 i have to say that the oud note in this one is more intense and faints slowly in the drydown.The original was the exact opposite,as the oud in the opening was more fainted.Well i dont get the negative comments,it is as good as the original...And to say the truth i liked better this one especially the drydown which is powdery more smokey and "sour"
Longetivity is excellent projects for 1 hour and then stays deep in the skin.Its been nearly 9 hours and im still smelling it intensely...
Its still mature,elegant,sexy and complex as the original...For me is a scent for a 30-35 year old man who is confident and mature.A lady killer scent for sure...
Overall score: 9.2/10

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A powdery, balmy, long lasting subtle fragrance which is chic and for the evening..

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0- 3.5 hours - 1.5 foot projection which is subtle yet strong. The penny drops, this is the same as Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme, its white powdery and subtle, yet projection keeps going. I get a little oud and a little what smells like leather (not listed)

3.5 hours - 6 hours - 6 inch projection. This now morphes into Fahrenheit Absolute and it is 80% the same, coupled with 20% Lanvin Arpege. It is not as powdery as the 1st couple of hours bu,t still very balmy

6 hours - 9 hours - 3 inch projection. Decent projection- nothing that floods the room but around you enough to keep you smelling it

9 hours -12 hours - Close to skin. Had a faint scent the next day, like smokey talcum

Evening wear, black suit, intelligent and chic

If you like this try Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme which you can get online for £7 - £14 and that frag is as good as this IMHO. Also Fahrenheit Absolute is like this. All 3 are lovely fragrances- what a wonderful choice out there

This frag is quite expensive

Very Good

grgfourtinas
grgfourtinas

I DONT HAVE THIS ONE BUT I FOUNDAND BOUGHT THE ORIGIAL(2002) M7 , AND LET ME TELL YOU IT DOSENT SMELL EXACTLY THE SAME..M7 AOUD ABSOLUTE IS A WATERED DOWN VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL M7 !

babak125
babak125

i love it

Go4broke
Go4broke

I went out with the aim of purchasing one of two possible fragrances. M7 and Egoiste Platinum. M7 is so hard to find but eventually i found what i thought was M7 but was in fact M7 Oud Absolou. I tried ONE small spray on the back of my hand at around 2:30pm. Here i am, after showering, washing my hands about 10 times 22 hours later, and i can still faintly smell it. Given a good 2-3 sprays on the neck and wrists, this stuff must last for DAYS. Projection and sillage are monster, even with that one spray. I ended up buying Egoiste Platinum because i prefered the smell, but unfortunately, it doesn't last. M7 Oud Absolou will be my next purchase. Partly because it lasts forever and partly because it smells exactly the same as Fendi Uomo. Which i love. This stuff is not for boys. Ages 35+ easily. Use lightly!

Shahz
Shahz

A slightly sweeter version of the original, perhaps a little more amber intense.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I guess the original M7 has a cult following, but not big enough to reissue the original, or was there some licensing problems? Or, it seems like they took this back to the marketing focus groups to see how they could improve on the original. They obviously used the M7 to use as a flanker and draw on the fans of the original, otherwise they should've just called it M10, or whatever the amount of scents came out after M7.

Oud Absolu starts with the scent of barely nothing...seriously, nothing. There is either a barrage of notes that quickly makes you anosmic, or there is a hefty dose of olfactory blockers that are working to initially do one thing--isolate the mandarin note, and little by little, have the fragrance slowly expand.

As the mandarin intensifies in volume, so does another note--spicy, much like cinnamon, or perhaps carnation, along with an undercurrent of incense like notes. The spicy facet seems to borrow from a structure like Opium for women, but sans the femme fatale floral sweetness and trails slightly of Opium's ambery musk note. It seems to smell linear at this point--spicy, citrus sweet but not candy like, incensy.

M7 was a sweet-dry-smoky-ambery bottle of yum. My eyes roll back in its undercurrent of sensuality, and my mind feels at peace with a certain centered clarity--Sexy Om in a bottle!

Oud Absolu, in my opinion, fails miserably to the original. It smelled strange on my first testing, probably because my nose kept fixating on one thing or the other, to the point I was thinking that this wasn't oud at all. Overall I thought it smelled nice, but not addictive. There's barely any sillage. It smells tiring when smelling it on your skin, in my opinion, because of that spicy note. It evaporates to absolutely nothing in a dismal 2 and a half hours.

Oud...Absolu...where? Where?!? The oud in the market is usually the scent of Cambodian Oud, sharp, bitter, green, a little sweet, rosy, woody, resinous. This (synthetic) oud, however, is like what's in Calvin Klein's Euphoria Intense or Guerlain Habit Rouge EdP.

Bottom line, they shouldn't have desecrated the M7 name, and I can't understand why they would try to bring semblance of it back if they would do it so half-heartedly. To me it's almost embarrassing!

Test first before buying, and this in no way, compares to the masterpiece of M7--so that's a sad sorry there. Scour the internet for your backup bottles of the original, guys. Looks like they might not re-issue the original ever.

ninie25
ninie25

A very nice fragance, oud is just wonderful. It's for men but honestly, i think it's could also wear by women. I put it on my skin, and wow, what a nice smell !
My boyfriend told me he would prefer smell it on me than on him.

moynah
moynah

Honesty best policy - First off, the packaging. hmmm plasticky, 'cheap' not the expected YSL standard I am used to I also noticed they released a ivory matching shape called in love again. Anyway back to the M7 Oud ab (OA) . I have to say until this scent I was an oud virgin. Yes, YSL OA was my first experience of that delicious agarwood... oh hell Im now addicted and buying everything with oud in it. (recommendations appreciated pls)
Beyond the ugly, bulky packaging, this scent is sheer heav-en! Real heaven. This is absolutely male only. Its got masculine written all over it. Myrr, incensy delight If you adore Oud, this is a MUST -- opps mustn't forget - the powder note, but hey I love powder scents

Versus the original M7? A DEBATE!! I think this new release slightly gets the edge, and wins. The old pre-reform M7 smells delicious, but it does have and 'old' woody aspect to it, and I seem to detect a stronger classical amber note in the original - which dates it a little

pknbgr
pknbgr

This is not a copy. It's a new fragrance which is called Oud Absolu.
Great scent and i think that this is the one of the best in mass market now.
A lot of patchouli, vetiver, oud and amber, very long longevity and a monstrous projection. What do you want something else?

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

I went out of my way to order this considering it could be 6 to 8 months before it's arrival here in the USA, as we saw with La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum. I was hopeful that Oud Absolu would be a deeper interpretation of M7. Instead, I found it to be a reformulation in a classier bottle. If you missed out on M7 when it was widely available, this will suffice. Does it have that sillage, projection and longevity it's ancestor had? No, but still a nice fragrance. Think of M7 restrained, harnessed and tamed. Is it necessary to chase after Oud Absolu if you've already obtained the M7 original? No. Unless you're a serious bottle collector. I'll conclude this by saying, I believe the M7 original deserves the title and packaging of La Collection Oud Absolu.

yazounet
yazounet

Worth buying it! Really it is not that heavy. At first I thought about the OUD to be very strong.In the first smell I thought of Gucci Pour Homme, but after 5 minutes I couldn't get my nose back from my hand.Now we are starting to have springtime, It is very suitable with its mandarine notes, M7 is more subtle and very gentleman. Thumbs up!

sreluah
sreluah

watered down, thats all. just watered down. definitely not worth then price (78 Euro) and definitely not worthy of a couture scent. I wish I could find the original

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

I like it, and it is not similar to the original M7 - otherwise they would have just launched that one back again.
I get so tired of people moaning all the time about reformulated perfumes... .

Just take another one, there are so many good ones on the market to not get desperate about a reformulation.

AngelRock77
AngelRock77

This is the shadow of the original M7,it's shy brother.I need to spray a lot to get a little tiny time of pleasure with it.And by short i mean 15 minutes short.

paulik
paulik

@bp YSL have been acquired by l'Oreal. That means MASSIVE reformulations, watering-down and cheap ingredients. They will destroy the brand in a few years. All they want now is to use the brand in order to make the highest profit margin while "YSL" still means something. Then they will shut everything down on account of low sales (duh).

Hilaire
Hilaire

I really enjoy this, I wasn't a fan of the original which I found had too much burnt rubber and amber for my taste. I think this is wearable, soft, deep, and very alluring. It's going on my want list.

Sillage is moderate and longevity good.

stephan
stephan

I prefer it to the original, it is a more refined and cleaner scent. The lasting power is good, but I wish it had more sillage.

Lorna_May's_Collection
Lorna_May's_Collection

I have just tested this one. Watered original M7 formula. NO strength at opening, NO sillage, NO longevity. - NO - . The only real thing is that YSL'Oreal now offers 80 ml at original 100 ml price for a perfume that is NOT M7. Within a single hour it has gone and no-one can appreciate it has been on my skin. Even me. Please, be aware & careful before you buy this one.

First of all let me say this is not M7 but more like a tribute to it. While the polishing and modernizing work they've done may be considered for several aspects commendable, on the other hand the current fragrance lacks the uniqueness of the original. The oud is there but not enough to justify the use of "absolu", while two new elements have been added in the note list (mhyrr and labdanum) providing a remarkable resinous vibe that was completely inexistent in the original formula.

Overall the fragrance is still head and shoulders above the average quality of today's masculines but IMO nowhere close to the uniqueness of the original M7 (and I'm not particularly fond of the vintage. Go figure).

Rating: 6.5/10

Bandit

Well, K1, for me it is definitely not conserving heritages (that'll mean to leave it, like it is), it's conserving money, as M7 was never a big seller and will now be reformulated, probably because of the high costs for oud.

Now they try it with the oud-hype as a selling point. Every moron should know, that M7 = oud. That's why they write it on the bottle. I really hope, that'll smell nice. But I don't really believe it, to be honest.

(I know, I should be happy and optimistic and all, I'm sorry... I just don't trust them a bit. Not one reformulation has ever made a perfume better...)

Bandit

I don't want to be the killjoy, but this is what YSL say about it themselfs:

"Resolutely contemporary, M7 OUD ABSOLU has been enhanced with brilliant mineral freshness, revealing the full richness of expression of the oud accord."

It is not only reformulated, but got additional "mineral freshness", something, which I cannot find in the usual M7. Maybe it's better than the original, but I doubt that.

It's still time to stock up on the old M7.

calyx93
calyx93

It will be interesting to see how this compares to the original - I'm certainly intrigued.

I can not believe.
Looks like I finally have the opportunity to acquire a fragrance of range M7.
I hope that this fragrance is so wonderful, charming and unique as the original M7.
Thank YSL. Do not let die this great perfume.
M7 is really special and emblematic.

La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent 4.31 out of 5 based on 483 ratings and 98 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent La Collection M7 Oud Absolu fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent La Collection M7 Oud Absolu, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of La Collection M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.