Designers » T-Z » Aromatic Green « Groups

La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men

La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

herbal
La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent is a Aromatic Green fragrance for men. La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme was launched in 2011. The fragrance features fern, geranium, lavender, oak moss, patchouli and guaiac wood.

Fern Geranium Lavender oak moss Patchouli Guaiac Wood

Rive Gauche pour Homme
Rive Gauche Pour Homme Light
Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense
Brut Special Reserve

La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

cadilo

Amazing scent! Long lasting and so fresh.

People at the office told me that it smells fresh and sooo masculine!

My advice: 1 spray's all you need -- this is Beast mode! Lasts for hours (combined with scentless body lotion) and projects without being too loud. Your shirt will smell for days!

With Chanel's Platinum Égoïste this is my go-to fragrance for the office (that is, until I get my hands on Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver!)

bugmenot098
bugmenot098

Rive Gauche la collection (which i dont like it) has Nothing to do with Azzaro PH (which i don't like it).

It's like drakkar noir, the same, more sillage and longevity.

thiagomartini
thiagomartini

Had to buy one bottle of this, since I ran out of my "vintage" can - which I got with only maybe 10ml left, from a friend who was not wearing it anymore.

First full wear: compared to the original, the opening is indeed less sharp, more green/herbal and less anised. The lavender on this version is also more round, you don't get the quasi-harshness of the original, which is a little more barbershoper-y. If you know the first formulation, maybe you'll tend to "search" for the more sharp opening, but the more round and, why not, less old-schoolish green accord on this formulation does not dissapoint.

Half an hour later, both versions are 90~95% identical, being the original more soapy and this, more herbal; I do get some oakmoss in the drydown, but there is less patchouli, making it less powdery.

Overall, this is one of the best reformulations I have smelt on a perfume; it seems that longevity and projection were not affected also. Still getting used to the opening, but i think I was biased with the original one... the fern fantasy accord on this is something very convincing but new to me, so think I need more time to get used to it.

9,5 out of 10, for now

Lunchbox148
Lunchbox148

Dear God this is an excellent fragrance. I owned the first formulation but it did not project at all on my skin, instant skin scent for me. I reluctantly sold it at a garage sale for like 10 bucks.

Years later I decided to give this one a try and that has turned out to be one of the best decisions. This one smells 98% the same as the original, the main difference is that it has a just a tiny (almost unnoticeable) bit less anise in it and it's slightly more "green".

For the slight difference in price to the vintage you are getting a fragrance with grade A performance, one spray to the base of the neck and you will have slightly over arms length projection and it lasts for DAYS not hours you literally have to scrub this off with a exfoliating cloth to get it out the next morning and I'm not lying. (I recommend 2 sprays max)

I don't like to call this a "barber shop" fragrance because it's waaaaay more than that. Rive Gauche managed to do the impossible: it blended classic with modern and has become timeless. This fragrance is very uplifting and just smells inviting and friendly. It's very versatile as well. This fragrance is such a pleasure to wear and it has become one of my all-time favorites.

cadilo

Never had the chance to try / test / own the original Rive Gauche so it's pointless for me to try comparing RG with this edition.

My, this one smells amazing! In my opinion this is an amazing barbershop-like fragrance. This EDT smells masculine, fresh and ultra clean. I'd wear this one casually, for the office, when I go out or even for a date with my wife. Could be MY signature scent in the near future.

La Collection RG Pour Homme will complete my arsenal of barbershop fragrances (along with Platinum Égoïste, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme and Azzaro Pour Homme).

Next purchase: M7 Oud Absolu!!

fabio.bernieri
fabio.bernieri

Mi ero creato grandi aspettative su questa fragranza e mi sono azzardato in un acquisto alla cieca... ma, ahimé, la delusione è stata profonda.

Di intensità debolissima (l'idea è quella di una colonia diluita, depotenziata) e di longevità modesta. Ma quello che non mi convince è soprattutto la fragranza stessa, poco complessa e poco accattivante. Si percepisce il legno guaiaco, po' di lavanda e un pizzico di geranio, il resto non lo avverto.

Soldi buttati.

Voto personale: 5/10

valantis
valantis

Less solid compared to the vintage,but still a good quality juice with a very good longévity!

ash_s
ash_s

I have used the Original Rive Gauche in the cylindrical metal bottle. I just loved the Star Ainse notes of the original. I like this but it is not as good as the original.

fnzeee
fnzeee

This is a fantastic fragrance and in my opinion the best of the YSL lineup. Longevity is incredible, lasting days not hours. Sillage is equally impressive at several feet of projection. An extremely masculine scent opening with anise and bergamot, then fern with hints of lavender, cloves and geranium leaves. The dry down brings a wonderfully balanced oakmoss, vetiver and light patchouli underpinned by gaiac wood and slightly animalic white musk. This is an exquisite scent that balances between clean and dirty. No one note is overpowering and the combination is simply fantastic. The woody-musk character is absolutely delicious. Well blended and sexy, at €60, this is a complete steal. It projects a very sophisticated masculinity without being grossly overbearing. A masterpiece for sure, and a modern classic fougere. Highly recommended.

This review is for the reformulation.

dremerick
dremerick

Thoughtful of the original. A bit dated for social use. Perfect for after shower. The quintessential barber shop fragrance. Happy days!

Dandadda19

Missed out the important - does not disappoint ! Can strangely still pick out the oakmoss , but maybe a little weaker hence the strange first 29-30 min

Dandadda19

So so agree with pontifex . Just finished my can of original & dared to buy the new reform. First 20 mins thought my skin might be reacting to give a spicy food skin odour ( Alain DELON samurai 47 comp) like skin the day after some serious spices. But dry down almost identical but less powdery . I am an oakmoss junkie & this does disappoint

pontifex maximus
pontifex maximus

Hey...this is pretty good for a reform...okay, the opening is quite bit different...greener and not as deep as the original. The good news is that the dry-down is pretty much identical, maybe a little bit less dense than the original formulation. Nice to layer with Caron Pour un Homme.

I prefer the original version because i have been wearing it since the introduction. It holds a very special place in my heart. It is one of the best fragrances in my 100+ collection. I recently bought 3 back up bottles, it still can be found for reasonable retail prices.

=======================================================
update 11/28/2016 The old stock of tincans seems to be sold out now.

AquaCitrus
AquaCitrus

I am just loving this fragrance (been testing it 3 weeks running now)!! I've requested my wife to gift this for my birthday (in about 2 months). Here in London, UK it costs £62 for the 80ml bottle (La Collection). This fragrance reminds of my childhood. Its strong on Lavender and the definition of "powdery" but in a lovely masculine way. According to the tester bottle, the notes are Lavender, Geranium, Patchouli, Vetiver and Guaiac wood. I just CANNOT stop sniffing my wrists. A masterpiece of sorts. The link to my childhood is that it reminds me of Yardley's Lavender talcum powder, but guys DO NOT let that put you off. I have not tried the original Rive Gauche (black and silver cylindrical tin) so cannot A/B which is better. Can't wait to get this beauty.

ArschAngel
ArschAngel

Love it. Projection is HUGE and longevity is way over 10 hours. I wear 1 single spray to the chest under a shirt and a hoodie and people can smell it 2 feet away. It smells smooth, clean and masculine. Lavender is definitely in there, but it's not sharp as when you put dried lavender flowers under your nose, in RG it's almost creamy, really smooth. And then there is some woody stuff in the background and this gives it a bit of a kick, it makes it spicy. I have never smelled the original version so I can't compare them. For me it's easily 8/10, do yourself a favor and go check it out.

I'm having a YSL reformulation appreciation week and Rive Gauche is a fragrance which I've always had love for. It is quite simply one of the greatest aromatic/fougere fragrances ever created, and I don't say that lightly. My only minor criticism of the original formula was the oakmoss coming on a little strong when first applied. However, there's no such problem here with the modern version as you'd expect but this does make it somehow a paler brew, longevity is definitely effected. Other than that, this is every bit as good in terms of the soft lavender, powdery geranium and woods with a hint of star anise it's pretty special stuff. Progressing well you get a few stages as it dries down revealing some hidden depth, problem is the few times I tried it I found the longevity okay but certainly and notably not as good as the original.
Still brilliant and well worth getting if you want to glimpse the spirit of the original.
I'm in the market for Rive Gauche (Intense/Extreme?) partly because I've never tried it and I think a spicier hit would be welcome.

FlirtBoy
FlirtBoy

IMHO this is the best fougere ever created (or at least the best of those I´ve tested). For me it´s better than original RG (in a can) as it´s not so spicy and the fern is much more pronounced which makes it smooth and delicious (and more barbershop-ish and greener as marioslg3 wrote). My rating would be 8.75/10 for classic RG and 9.5/10 for this one

btw I don´t think this is a reformulation but rather a "limited edition" - as I can get both versions from time to time in online shops in my country, both for good price...so all that whining about how original was different/better is kind of a nonsense from my point of view:) (same with Eau Sauvage and Eau Sauvage Extreme which even are too different scents but people still tend to compare them because of the name)

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

If barbershop and shaving cream notes are your thing, then this is for you. Unfortunately it was not a good match for me. I'm just not getting any of the notes listed, although my nose may not be sophisticated enough to detect fern.

ImAddicted
ImAddicted

Elegant and versatile woody lavender for men over 30. Wear it to go to the office, dates, you choose. Top quality, as you would expect from YSL.

deja vu-gr
deja vu-gr

What an amazing jouice!!!!!! This house is connected with my younger age during the beginning of 90's when I used to wear the absolute fragrance called jazz that hit the markets worldwide. About this one, it has the herritage and high quality of ingredients that this superb house has to offer. In the first 30 minutes of its life reminds me Narciso Rodriguez for him but more light and fresh underneath,more versatile and less "grey" and "melancholic" than NR. For sure a fragrance that separates a man from a boy but not old fashioned by telling that. Ages from 25-30+ will enjoy and appreciate it more. No doubt an exceptional well crafted scent with great versatility and excellent lasting and projection. It can easily be a signature scent. By they way older in production than Narciso Rodriguez for him so a big thumbs up from me!!

ergun.can.ilhan
ergun.can.ilhan

when you first smell it yes you feel like youre in barbershop.

but you also get the feeling that its the most elegant and expensive barbershop in the world.

good choice for daily use if you are over 25

royalLionheart
royalLionheart

Yep, so i notice they have made it slightly more modern and not so classic.. not a terrible reformulation but NO. The original is what Rive Gauche is really about, and same goes for M7, have tried them all and ended up with the originals.. if you're lucky enough to hunt them down ..get them!!!!

marcelopcr
marcelopcr

I absolutely adore this, but unfortunately I can't wear it till I'm like 40y old as it smells very very mature. Smells like a barbershop, very charming. It's the only reason why I want to get older lol.

Guest_MonsieurK
Guest_MonsieurK

This and the original RGPH are both amazing, so I'm not going to get into the reformulation battle. Instead, I'll post here what I wrote about the original as it still applies

"As I write this, there's a thread in the forum asking readers to name fragrances that make them feel calm, sexy, spirited at work etc. Some are answering enthusiastically and others are noting their reluctance to pin their mood or personal disposition to any fragrance. While I see the fun in such a thread, yet the validity in the assertion that a person is not the sum total of the fragrance he or she wears, I cannot deny the 'effect' a fragrance can have on a person.
You see, there is something about Rive Gauche pour Homme that is at once old school and contemporary.

While many fragrances aim to evoke a certain mood or feeling such as sexy, clean, dark etc, I just simply feel 'like a man' with this. I'm not one to question my masculinity, never have or will - I'm not insecure about whether or not I'm 'manly'enough etc.

But somehow, I don't feel like a 'dude', or a 'guy' or a 'bloke' with Rive Gauche. I feel like I smell the way a man ought to smell - the way a woman imagines, or better still, 'wants' a man to smell. And from that can come all the other adjectives - suave, groomed, sexy, responsible, etc because though a man can be all of these great things, he is a man first. If Rive Gauche is aiming at anything, it is aiming at your contentment just to be a man.

This is a brilliant, smooth, crisp and delicious fougere that doesn't re-invent the wheel, but stands between yesterday and tomorrow. It is a modern classic, performs excellently, and is one that I'd be very happy if one day, when my children have grown up, remembered me by.

If you like classic fougeres like Azzaro Pour Homme and Drakkar Noir, but fear they are not contemporary enough (for me I'd gladly wear them now, I don't care), then you'll be in very good hands with Rive Gauche Pour Homme".

lovetribe
lovetribe

too much questions and compliments by woman!!!!!!!wow!

marioslg3
marioslg3

I dont see it as a toned down or chear or watered or lacking of longevity. It is very close to the original but greener. I like it as well as the original and beleive that people have problem with reformulations but unfo cant be avoided.

hellel
hellel

More or less like the First Rive Gauche Pour Homme. More woody, less tendre, similar, but in a way different.. More expencive certainly.. Well, as to cut a long story short, itw worth buying it..

fabiomori
fabiomori

There used to be a store in the US called RUEHL. Its an upclass A&F. Same owner too. But clothes more sofisticated, adult, and more expansive. They closed in 2007. They had a signature perfume. For me, it reminds me a lot of this one. The stores smell like that too. For me, its a very masculine, woody and dry perfume. Reminds me of Azzaro ( the original for men) but more sofisticated. Some people say it reminds them a barber shop (?). Anyway, i love this.
My only concern is that this perfume might be better suited for an over 40's guy. Im not sure. Anyway, I am 35 athletic, active and work in suit and tie, so it gives me a serious and trustfull air. LOL

gd15329
gd15329

Oh my God what a fragrance (I've never had the chance to smell Rive Gauche pour Homme -original, but...) this one is one of the best and most masculine fragrances I've ever smelled...
projection / longevity: from all the test-paper-strips... this one still smells... one day after

Very rich (heavy) aromatic-woody, elegant sophisticated.
It reminds me a lot of Gentleman Givenchy-1974, but La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men is more refine and way more NOT-synthetic.

--George Dreamer (20/3/2013)

CDGfan
CDGfan

You can buy the discontinued original for less than half the price, why on earth would you buy a watered down, poor version of the original. This is what happens when Revlon does fragrances for YSL.

JohnMc
JohnMc

One could almost be forgiven for thinking that the whole point of these god-awful re-issue/reformulations was in order to get lovers of the originals to buy up all of the old (unsold) stock in as quick a time as possible, for the new offerings are equivalent to 'diet' versions of beloved 'full-fat' drinks!

Shahz
Shahz

This is not completely identical to the original but it is still very reminiscent of it. Less herbal and more floral. If you judge it for what it is without getting too hung up about comparing it to the original you would probably find it to be a decent scent.

murysusanto

In that case if you saw something that were discontinued and suddenly appear again on the market, no matter what, don't blind buy or you will regret entirely.

I found many cases like that and that is the issue

You can't revive the dead

murysusanto

I don't understand why brands so popular, and so many other brands with their signature fragrance and we used to remember in the 80's and 90's, when it's re-created or remake again, the formula changed??? why is it so hard to make the old formulae? is it because the ingredients used then were different then? or because so many organic things nowdays??and they can't get the beautiful alchemy anymore? or perhaps it changes master perfumer??

Well, in that case, we just lost that melody and becomes a loving memory

Oh dear...

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

Totally agree with THOR. This isn't the rive gauche that I used to know...
My dearest signature scent is gone 4ever...people beware, the original is much much better!!
Ugly bottle on top...

thor
thor

ALAS !!! 'THE' Rive Gauche Pour Homme that i knew and adored has been castrated. A crying shame !! I'm so bloody disappointed. The same applies to M7.

I seriously gotta get me self at least 2 full bottles of the original juice (its already getting scarce). I don't want to say anything else.

Oh! Just one more thing - UP YOURS YSL La Collection !!

yazounet
yazounet

Smells like a woman fragrance. A lot of Geranium inside with Lavender.That's it. I couldn't smell anything else. I would go with M7 in this range.

Hilaire
Hilaire

Judging by the reviews this is apparently a toned down reformulation. If that's the case then I can only wonder at the power and intensity the old Rive Gauche Pour Homme must have had. I find this version powerful and masculine, very much a power perfume. Only for the confident.

Excellent sillage and tremendous longevity. Worth adding to your collection even if you don't wear it often.

nikthegrek
nikthegrek

i have test it side by side with the original,it is toned down,still the same smell like the old but more soft..
my advice..stock up the old legent..

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I like to think they've recognized the potential in Rive Gauche to be a modern scent, and figured taking out the notes that held the old school face and gave it youth. But I wot know til I try it I guess

@K1
Well, it seems we think the the same about YSL which is very sad :(
YSL used to be my favourite brand with bold, brave and uncompromising but still very popular fragrances.
But now... Elle, Parisienne, Belle d'Opium, L'homme x3, they make safe choices.
I still like the brand but ONLY for its old catalogue (Opium, Kouros, Jazz, Paris, M7, NU, Opium PH, Rive Gauche).
It's the same with Rochas, but that house has a much worse destiny :(

Oh my precious! :(
I have to stock you up in your fine striped metal bottle!

Rive Gauche Pour Homme without its saturine power. Toned down and mannered.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.