Designers » T-Z » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Live Jazz Yves Saint Laurent for men

Live Jazz Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

sour
Live Jazz Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Live Jazz Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Live Jazz Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Live Jazz was launched in 1998. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Bourdon. Top notes are mint, grapefruit and lemon; middle notes are coriander and rhuburb; base notes are nutmeg, amber, vanilla and cedar.

Mint Grapefruit Lemon

Le Beau Male

Live Jazz Fragrance Reviews

jaybear
jaybear

A good and solid fresh fragrance for spring and summer. It's nice how generously minty and coriandery Live Jazz is; I've always liked those herbs. There's something in the opening which reminds me a bit of JPG's Le Beau Male. Nice whiffs of nutmeg and cedar in the base. Longevity and sillage are quite moderate in my opinion. My father used to have a bottle of regular Jazz around from time to time. Now this stylish zigzag-shaped flacon design finally landed in my own collection, yay!

Hassan Nasrallah
Hassan Nasrallah

One of my favorite Yves Saint Laurent perfumes , the fact it makes me high and happy is that it contains very refreshing formula of mind , grapefruit and coriander which may really be very boring without the touch of the rhubarb ,
it just makes me happy

Singularity
Singularity

This is my favourite fragrance and had been using it for many years. Love the minty citrus burst from the start to the creamy rhubarb heart and vanilla drydown with a hint of wood.

Manny44

My Live Jazz/ Dior Homme Sport hybrid has been a home-run for me this summer. Much better and more enjoyable for me to wear than Dior Homme Cologne 2013. Perfect sweet/ sour mix with very good projection and longevity (For a summer frag of course).

Manny44

In my top 5 favorite Summer fragrances. The bitter vegetal qualities of the Rhubarb and mint, the bright grapefruit. I'm totally in love with the way this feels to wear. Meant for hot summer days, however, like the reviewer below me noted, don''t expect too much projection. I've actually been mixing it with Dior Homme Sport in one of those refillable portable atomizers. The bitterness of LJ cuts some of the creaminess of DHS in a nice way.

lee_maccuckoo
lee_maccuckoo

Nah, don't expect too many compliments out of this one. It's simply a fresh, innoffensive juice that sticks close to the skin; nevertheless an excellent pick for hot summer days here in Brazil. At first spray, I was really scared of the coriander note, which was dominant enough to make me regret my blind purchase. It was not the case though: after two or three tries, I could notice the other ones come to play (mint and citrus especially), adding color and lightness to the juice. The rhuburb note is also pretty noticeable and delicious. I'd say it's worth a try.

Now what strikes me as a mystery is why in this world YSL's marketing team thought this should be named Live Jazz... few musical styles could be more elaborated and dependent on the individual's dexterity than a Jazz piece; also, I see Jazz as an acquired taste rather than accessible music. That's not to say the juice is not good; it's pleasant indeed, but maybe it sounds more like Live Adult Oriented Rock, lol...

PS: I could also notice the discreet notes of vanilla and nutmeg while cooking this morning, which made it even more appealing. Thumbs up!

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

I remember sitting at a computer helping someone who was standing behind me; suddenly she gasped, "Oh my God! what cologne are you wearing? It smells so good." My opinion of this garden of exotic notes was upgraded immediately.

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

I had swapped a fragrance of mine in return for a big bottle of Live Jazz half full and a big bottle of Jazz with a tiny bit left.. When I first smelled them, I noticed that Jazz was much more complex and smells more like a classic mens scent.. Live Jazz smells like a fresh modern take on the original Jazz.. They do have there similarities but are very different from each other.. I am not that into fresh citrusy fragrances but I have to give some a chance in the spring & summer when it is to hot to wear the fragrances that I really have a taste for.. Live Jazz surprised me because It really smells nice, it is nothing groundbreaking but it is unique compared to most other fresh citrus fragrances.. It opens up with a blast of different citruses and mint.. The mint smells real nice and gives a cooling effect to the fragrance, it definitely stands out.. I think the coriander and the rhubarb is what is giving Live Jazz this weird unique smell that I like.. I am not sure what rhubarb smells like but I think that is the interesting note I am picking up on.. I don't really smell much of the basenotes in Live Jazz, but I never really pick all of the notes out of a fragrance.. Live Jazz is a nice versatile fragrance for the warmer weather.. It can be worn casually or pretty much any type of way you choose.. It reminds me a lot of its ancestor Jazz, but in a totally different type of way.. Like a total modern re-imagining of Jazz.. It is a really nice scent and I will continue to use it in warmer weather.. I like Live Jazz a lot and I will continue to keep a bottle in my collecyon!

Redbeard
Redbeard

Major mojito letdown. This had the makings of a great alternative light summer scent for me, but it began to wear out its welcome. The lemon in the top is realistic but rather sickly because of the cilantro and spearmint that hold ruthless dominion over the whole progression. I feel that other herb mixtures would have been less tiresome. The alcohol also persists pretty badly. The scent is fresh, but it's TOO fresh, sharp and cold; an herbal mess. It finally starts to warm up a little, and resembles the later stages of CK One with its sort of floral mustiness, though with a little extra redeeming lime. When I sniff the spot I sprayed, my throat burns a little with something like frosty licorice. Later in the drydown, if I can still smell it at all, it reminds me of that little bowl with all the herbs for a recipe mixed together, ready for the chef to dump into the pot all at once, including more metallic anise than I ever want to see again in such a light cheery scent. However, one thing that I will give it, is the fact that it never gets too sweet at any point, which is noteworthy.

RobbieX

A very pleasant mellow smooth and fruity fragrance. I can smell the mint clearly in the opening. The dry-down has nice grapefruit notes. Longevity and silage are both reasonable. Live Jazz is one of the better summer fragrances.

Markx
Markx

Live Jazz is a striking perfume, it captures the audience attention and demands their respect but it puts the wearer at a very serious mode where there is no love or compassion but sophistication, Live Jazz is just the right perfume in situations when hard decisions are to be taken.

flkirkland
flkirkland

Grapefruit with a hint of mint behind it. I get some cedar in the dry down and am hoping for the amber and/or vanilla to make a grander appearance. However - I really do like this juice. The initial blast is AWFUL. But within 90 seconds has calmed to the grapefruit and mint combo and is really really nice. Very refreshing!

ahmadnademi
ahmadnademi

عطری قدیمی ولی بسیار جذاب و دوس داشتنی،زمانی که از این عطر استفاده میکنم احساس خوبی بهم دست میده و از داشتنش راضی هستم،مناسب فصل گرما

Aerides
Aerides

I got given this in 2000 by my dad's boss (he must have mistaken it for a women's fragrance, or thought I was a boy which I'm not ruling out)
That being said I quite like it and do sometimes wear it when I'm in an androgynous mood.
It's a very green scent with a lot of mint and zesty citrus at the start. Then I got a lot of coriander but it smelled more like fresh coriander leaves not the seeds and the rhubarb adds quite a sharp element to the mix.
So all in all it's very fresh smelling, very energetic and very long lasting on me, a little bit goes a really long way.

cookiedais
cookiedais

My father used to wear the original Jazz in the 80's early 90's and I loved the smell of it so I bought this for my partner but was very disappointed . The original version was a powerhouse with amazing longevity but this seems to be a poor relation ,a watered down version of the original that i can barely smell on him . It also has an added minty note that does not appeal to me at all . Disappointing .

RES2525
RES2525

Mint, mint, minty mint. If you don't like the smell of mint I'm telling you right now, STAY AWAY. However, should you be someone who also feels uplifted and refreshed by the smell of fresh mint then by all means get on the wagon.

Live Jazz opens with a sharp and vibrant blast of cool mint tinged with a great grapefruit and lemon note. Nothing 'toothpastey' about it. Though I cannot say that it smells like natural mint either, it definitely doesn't smell synthetic. Perhaps this is the other notes fuzzing it up. And fuzz it up in a good way they do. While sharp and quite powerful, Live Jazz never feels overwhelming. Strong but not thuggish in its persistence I never feel like its driving a nail in my head. However, I can imagine this being one that would really make you feel sick if you already had a headache.

As Live Jazz dries down a floral quality begins to show. I understand no flowers are listed in its creation, but this is what I get. A subtle and slightly creamy rosy sort of accord. Maybe it's the rhubarb coming into play as I have no idea what rhubarb actually smells like. But I'd bet my money on the coriander as the doppleganger. All the while the mint plays on while vanilla harmonizes.

Live Jazz seems to have excellent projection and decent longevity. No major quibbles there. But I'd say about 3 sprays max or you'll really be gassing people. The stuff is so invigorating and sharp that I really don't see any problem with using it in cooler weather either. It'll get noticed just fine.

If you're looking for something very masculine, this probably isn't it. Very unisex. But if you enjoy mint do try. This is one of the most uplifting and fresh fragrances I've ever tried and retains character through and through unlike many that lose their initial charm after their topnotes fade away. Well blended and smelling of quality ingredients. Great stuff.

teadot
teadot

This one takes your head for a spin!

The flacon of LIVE JAZZ comes in the clever guise of a folding screen. It's multi-facet panels (literally) reflect the essence of Jazz, and the juice inside. The design details of the bottle are all about Contrast. And if you can't already guess, you're going to find out, why !

The opening blast is lemony cool, high-lighted by spearmint. The lemon and grapefruit are more peel, than juice. The accord is airy, fresh, bitter green, and "ozonic". A hint of grassy herbs in the background distinguishes this scent from the Pack. But sooner than you can change into summer gear; a warm creaminess creeps in -brought on by the viscosity of perhaps the rhubarb. This accord transitions into a "mid" -where suddenly, the (dinner) table... Flips !

Amber is the catalyst that begins to "cook" everything in it's warmth. The herbs morph from plant-like, to food-like. Reminiscent of the raw, minty, lemony dish of seasoning that come on the side with your Vietnamese Noodle Soup -dominated by coriander (read cilantro), and simmering in a creamy rhubarb broth. What keeps this from turning altogether savory, is the sweetness of vanilla in the base, throbbing like a consistent beat. Personally, the vanilla made the rest somewhat "sickly" and oppressive to me. But I must admit. This is wayyyyyyy interesting...and will no doubt leave few heads unscratched.

LIVE JAZZ is basically a funky trip to Mabel's kitchen. To hear her nephew's jazz trio, improvise ...while she's cooking ! (lol) Certain food-like qualities to this composition (especially the cilantro and rhubarb) may well be Pierre Bourdon's inspired cross reference of Jazz Music with Soul Food ! Which certainly adds intellectual appeal to this fragrance. But does it warrant a recommendation?

In-spite of the intellectual shenanigan -LIVE JAZZ (as an casual fragrance) is ultimately an unpretentious, versatile, and unique, alternative scent. It all depends on whether you have room on your playlist -for something as interesting, but just as flawed as...well, Live JAZZ !

Longevity:7/10 (base notes)
Projection (fall temperatures):6/10 (in mid)
Art/Creatives: 8/10 (bottle and concept)
How: year round, daytime, casual, free-spirited,
laid-back. (Worth testing).

vmzaneti

Forget my previous review. After testing so many other scents, this is now my favourite one for hot weather. It's so refreshing that it almost shivers the spine. A perfect and distinctive summer fragrance which has an uncommon structure and can be worn both casually or formally: either way you will smell gorgeous and elegant. This never fails to elicit intriguing compliments about how good and different it is. In fact, it is pleasant just as it is unique.

The longevity goes for about 6 hours on my skin, the price tag is fair, and it smells very natural. Very high quality fragrance with high quality ingredients.

An exquisite spring/summer gem!

klamot
klamot

The longevity of this one is really poor on my skin, which is a shame, as it's a great smelling frag.

It opens with a zesty citrus accompanied by eucaliptus/mint. Unfortunately - the fragrance doesn't last, and after 2 hours it is totally gone.

smell: 8,5/10
sillage: 5/10
longevity: 3/10

I don't regret buing this one (only 30$ paid for a 100ml bottle), but i don't think i will be buying Live Jazz ever again.

I still have about 30ml in the bottle and i am only using it for my running sessions. It suits my training perfectly - it is green, fresh, and gives me more energy.

nero77
nero77

This is a refreshing one! I can't see why many people find fault with this fragrance. The opening is mint and grapefruit, very zingy and fresh, and perfect for hot weather I should imagine. This is the fragrance that brings to mind sipping cocktails on the beach, or coming in from the hotel swimming pool on a hot day.

Very inoffensive. Yes it dries down to rhubarb and coriander, but that isn't a bad thing here! So maybe this "vegetable" thing (which I don't get here by the way) seems to turn people off but to me this shouts out "I'm fresh"!

Personally I think you could do a lot worse than wear this on a spring/summer day. Plus, it's YSL and it's at an affordable price for such a house. I find it ideal for the hot weather! I believe that there is always an ideal situation for every fragrance... give this a try on a hot day by the pool and you'll see what I mean.

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

Very unique, overall pleasant, and for a very competitive price of <$35. To me, as well as many others, I find this fragrance to be good, but not great. And of all the fresh/citrus fragrances in my collection, I doubt this would get much wear.

The grapefruit and lemon note are very good. There is a mint note, but it is heavily synthetic and far from the best mint I smelled. What bothers me about the fragrance however is that there is a strong Cilantro note, to the point where the whole fragrance smells like seasoning.

Don't buy it just because it is cheap. Sample it first.

stinkfest
stinkfest

Good all around
capable for hot day
smell : 8/10
longevity : 8/10
sillage : 6/10

abcleo63
abcleo63

For the first 30 minutes, there is a very pleasant lemon and mint smell with very good projection. Then the fragrance starts transitioning to the middle notes. After 2 hours, it smells like an herbal garden with a tiny hint of the citrus lingering. The coriander is energetic, and spicy. The projection is still good. The top and middle notes are opposites. The top notes are cool and refreshing, and then the scent changes to energetic and lively. It feels like taking a relaxing lounge in a recliner, then having to get off my butt and start a workout. From 3 to 4 hours, the projection dies down and becomes a skin scent. After 4 hours, on my skin, the scent is gone. And I mean gone, no skin scent. I don’t even have a chance to smell the base notes.

I am disappointed that the longevity is so bad. I only paid about $30.00 for a 3.4oz bottle, so I can’t complain about the price. The bottle is nice with the words “Live Jazz” frosted on the bottle. The sprayer is outstanding and sprays a large amount in a nice spray pattern. Even with the powerful atomizer, longevity is still poor on me. This was a blind buy. Many YouTube reviewers said this is a great mint based starter fragrance. Unfortunately, the mint only lasts a maximum of 2 hours on me, and I am being generous. Due to the poor longevity, I can’t enjoy this fragrance. What a shame.

Pegasus
Pegasus

Very fresh, cool and green, the mint/citrus combination gives is a pleasant vibe. This is an excellent summer/spring scent. It has good longevity, it lasts almost 5-6 hours on my skin with average projection.

Grassnote
Grassnote

this fragrance masterfully combines fresh and warm notes that's why it is a great all around frag. One of the best frags to combat heat and high humidity. Its longevity around 4-6 hours with enjoyable drydown.

keffy
keffy

This fragrance reminds me of SPEAR MINT, thats best way i can put it, its pretty similar to Cartier Roadster but Roadster is a way better mint fragrance, like my man before me said, it has veggie-ish kinda middle dry down but i still love it none the less. Yves Saint Laurent always come through, you guys know that.

raghavanb
raghavanb

i honestly did not want to smell like someone spending a whole day in a vegetable market in india with its strong and at times disturbing odours. Nothing more to talk about

perfumeholic88
perfumeholic88

My husband had 50ml of it. It´s nice, summer/spring smell. Fresh because of lemon and mint but actually nothing WOW, nothing about what people would ask you. Longivity is avarige.I give 6/10 for scent and 7/10 for longivity.

I got the citrus at first, which was well done, then something vegetal appeared, but was weak, and then I got very little of anything else. I thought I applied enough but this may be one that you need to spray 4 times or more. What I was able to smell did not seem especially interesting, and since I'm not a fan of "summer" fragrances and already have more than I need, I can't imagine obtaining a bottle unless someone wanted to swap me for something I don't mind letting go. If you like the idea of vanilla and rhubarb, there is Ciel Mon Jardin!, for example (and that one lasts, with good projection). I plan to try it one more time and report back, with a lot more applied than for this first sampling. Perhaps the closest I have to Live Jazz now is 2 Rance, which I think I prefer.

Zenith
Zenith

Mint and citrus, the epitome of freshness in the opening of this one, and quite awesomely, it stays for quite a long time for such light notes. While very fresh, it still has complexity, setting it apart from many summer fragrances.

For those who care about these things too, it is very reasonably priced, readily available and comes in an awesome bottle

Peegore
Peegore

We've had a few warm spring days here in England, so I thought it time to tear into the cellophane of my new bottle of YSL Live Jazz, seeing as my previous bottle is nearly empty from last year.

And what immediately struck me when I applied the fresh bottle was the mint. I think this note had lost it's potency due to age in my last bottle, because now it bloomed, fresh and clean, along with the opening slightly bitter-sweet citrus notes. At first, it is oh-so close to being a chewing-gum mint, but this is just about saved by the lemon and grapefruit. Its when the coriander of the mid notes appear, quite soon after the opening, that the mint becomes more herbal and 'real', like crushing a mint leaf between your fingers.

From therein the fragrance holds the minted coriander notes for several hours, slowly allowing the basenotes of mellow cedar and ambergris to seep in.

What is interesting is the interplay between warmth and coolness in Live Jazz, due to the pairing of warm/cool notes through the whole composition. Certainly makes this interesting to wear.

Not a sillage monster at all, Live Jazz is a refined, mellow, sunny day scent, well crafted and very enjoyable indeed.

farello
farello

It smells like a Mojito drink : limon, mint and sugar, i like it!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

As the reviewer said below, this opens with a burst of mint and lemon. The lemon quickly fades into grapefruit, but is pretty soft for a citrus note, blending well with the mint. After a short while on the skin the rhubarb pops out along with a smooth vanilla amber which tames the bite of the rhubarb. The mint remains a quiet presence throughout. This remains fairly linear until the end, with the amber slowly ebbing away at the fresh edges of the rhubarb.
This is a great fresh scent, it doesn't smell like a room spray or a cleaner. I think the combination of the mint and amber works very well to keep this together so that it remains aromatic and clean, but calm. My boyfriend loves this.

firsttime
firsttime

Sport fragrance from YSL house. I love when rhuburb appear but first note too sharp of mint and lemon, anyway,this one of my signature!

Longavity : 6/10 for 4-5 hrs
scent : 8/10 I love rhuburb in it!

cherryred80
cherryred80

I haven't made my mind up about Live Jazz. Over on BN they rave about it, so I bought a half-used bottle (still fresh). When i first tried it, I wanted to scrub it off. Never mind mint, the coriander/cilantro was so pervasive I felt I smelled like a curry. Not sexy!
Trying it again some months later I notice the mint much more, but there's still something about this fragrance that reminds me too much of food. And toothpaste.
That said, I haven't encountered a technically bad YSL scent yet, so maybe I need to get used to this one, or leave it for the others. 5/10

vmzaneti

My review is based upon a test in cooler weather.

Ok, it's different, yes. Unlike most of the summer fragrances marketed nowadays.
In it's opening I didn't find it to be citrousy, but rather alcoholic, and the mint was very subtle, remaining in the background. A few seconds later and the cillantro already began to show off, joined by the rhuburb note. And that's how it is, cillantro + rhubarb with a hint of mint barely noticeable and light woods (guess it's the cedar), giving it an herbaceous feeling, like fresh cut green vegetables very recently harvested. It has a somewhat edible feel in it, but it's not particularly 'yummy'. Then I waited for the drydown, hoping that I would perceive the "hint of vanilla", or something else. I'm waiting till today...

The entire experience didn't last too long too. I got 4 to 5 hours with this one.

Now, the final impressions... yes, it is refreshing, and somewhat even a soothing fragrance, but the question is: why on earth I would chose to smell like salad if there are many other choices in the market suited for summertime wear? Just to feel different? I can understand the uniqueness and beauty in this fragrance, and I do like it. As just as I like the smell of french fries, hamburgers, pizza, grilled beef...
The problem is that, just like these above cited edible-feeling scents, I don't find Live Jazz to be quite suitable as a wearing fragrance. Just a nice smelling fragrance and that's all.

I honestly don't think anyone will ever compliment me on this one.

I'll give it another try when the weather gets warmer, though.

For now, I rate it 6/10.

----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

I recently took the time to test this fragrance an additional couple of times, in hot weather, and this one grew considerable on my appreciation.
Now I can clearly smell the citrus in the top notes, and what a bright and crisp opening it is! The mint now is more proeminent too, giving it an additional sensation of freshness. I still get that "fresh-cut-just-harvested-veggies" vibe in the middle, but now I don't find it weird or foody. The notes all compliment each other very nicely and everything is well toned in this fragrance. I can even detect the hint of vanilla in the backgound, a beautiful final touch, giving the fragrance a little bit of warmth.

Now, when I smell Live Jazz I picture myself early in the morning in a garden, harvesting some vegetables and citrus fruits, the rain just fell and the air is cool and humid while the sun begins to shine between the clouds, gently warming my skin with the touch of the early rays of light it emanates.
Perfect for summer, and a good choice for office wear.

Saddly, this doesn't last that long on my skin.

Rate: 7.5/10

And yes... this does elicit compliments.

aussie bloke
aussie bloke

It's one of those fragrances who serve their purpose but are not special in any way. Its fresh really fresh, I mean u'll feel like u have just taken a bath in mint but you might have to put 5-6 sprays every time as its unnoticeable with 2/3 sprays.
Sillage is moderate and longevity is 3-4 hours.
Scent score 7/10.

BRH
BRH

I just picked this one up recently as a blind buy after reading lots of favorable reviews. Also, I tend to like sharp citrus and fresh, green scents, so this sounded like my cup of tea. I also enjoy both mint and cilantro, so I knew those wouldn't bother me.

As far as my initial impressions go; this one is kind of hard to characterize. It is very fresh and refreshing, but the scent is unique and different. It doesn't have the typical sweet or sour citrus top note by itself like most fresh scents do. Instead, it's a combination of sour citrus, sweet spearmint, and the unusual green herbal smell of the rhubarb and cilantro. They all seem to combine to create a really unique top and middle. I can see where some will like and others might be turned off by the weird combination. And even though it is unusual and hard to categorize, the one thing I can say is that it is a very refreshing and crisp feeling. I really like the fact that it's a fresh fragarance that stands out from the others and makes people wonder what you have on.

As far as the notes go; I get the sharp citrus with a sweet spearmint at the very top. These notes really hang around for the whole duration, but are joined quickly by the herbal/rhubarb middle. (I really get more of the rhubarb than the cilantro myself). And even as it dries down to the base, you really have a unique combo of these three scents playing off each other.

Also, another nice plus is this scent has really great longevity and projection for a fresh fragrance. It is easily detectable 6 hours later on my skin.

Overall, I would definitely recommend giving this one a try (especially since it can be gotten cheaply). It definitely will stand out as a unique fresh scent that will intrigue people. As far as comparisons, the only thing that this kind of reminds me of a little is Cool Water. It shares a bit of the odd green herbal note that one has. I'm guessing it's the coriander(cilantro) and mint that these two fragrances both share. But if you like the herbal/medicinal type smell of Cool Water, then you will probably enjoy Live Jazz. (just imagine adding sour citrus too the mix as well. Kinda like Cool Water Summer Fizz, but with triple the strength & longevity).

purplesun
purplesun

Well, this sure is a fresh one. I can't really pin down the overpowering initial mint note everybody complains about in Live Jazz. There is, however, a weird creamy note that lingers in there, perhaps rhubarb?
All in all, Live Jazz is a lovely, youthful, fresh summer fragrance with style.
Update: Actually, now I can detect the mint note quite clearly. It is great.

justlikehoney
justlikehoney

This is One of my Signature fragrance!I love the citrus and rhuburp scent.Great and long lastin on my skin.

9/10 I feel it's very sport fragrance from YSL

Linus41
Linus41

This one is tricky because in the drydown it pulls a 180. First it's minthy, fresh, citrus and then suddenly the vanilla comes kicking in and loads of ambergris. I use it in the summer and spray it in the afternoon and then a few hours later when it's dark it had that summer evening vibe to it! The drydown is very nice imo.

K1
K1

Of all those masterpieces from 90's Live Jazz is a distinct ground braking delivery.
LJ is a sharp opener on mint and lemon and coriander that inherits from Jazz. Soon later it settles and progressively it presents mint, rhuburb and coriander with grapefruit replaced with sour lemon to balance the fresh sour shivering theme of herbal overpowers.

Silvervine
Silvervine

The top notes are great, fresh and spicy, probably a little bit too spicy but still good, however the mint... the mint makes the scent like a giant toothpaste... And the toothpaste smell is really strong and long lasting. I love the base note, warm, thick, gentle and a bit of subtle sexy (even though it took me almost 6 hours to get rid off the curse of toothpaste...)

Since the scent is not that masculine as its original version I'd like to recommend this to other twenty-something girls who may want to try some fun and different things.

This is a great fragrance for summer and sunny days, though personally I'd like to wear this in some cold and gloomy days. lol

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

Is it just me or does anyone else realizes that Live Jazz & Image by Cerruti are almost identical? Is it maybe the mint opening they both share? I think so! What Image has going on is a beautiful mint/pear opening that is so fresh, so crisp, so clean & out of the shower, while Live Jazz is fresh & clean but thats where it ends as far as the opening goes.. Live Jazz does not have that fruit opening to give it that nice crisp edge but this is not a bad thing! As the scent progresses I still smell the mint along with some form of dusty lemon trailing the woods & vanilla base. I really like Live Jazz as Yves Saint Laurent makes great frags.. But for me this seems to be lacking longevity. I can smell it on me about 4 hours.. I would have to spray my shirt to get a longer scent life, over all I dont think its better than Image when it comes to the opening or the longevity... However, I will still enjoy this as it is well done!

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

The lemon is very offensive, as lemon tends to be, and from that, I found it way to sharp and synthetically strong.
I've tried and tried again to wrap my head around why people like it so much, and tried to find the other notes, but I got nothing. Even in the drydown where anything is slight at best, not even subtle.
I honestly think if the lemon and grapefruit for reduced massively this might be pretty nice, with the rhubarb, vanilla, cedar, coriander and amber this might be a casual favorite.
It may be that the citrus mixing with mint may be what bothers, i find it sour and bitter.

Afraafra was correct in his assumption, not everyone will like this fragrance. To be honest, I was turned off it at first. It seemed too sharp, too citrusy, too synthetic. It does improve as it settles, however the initial scent may have you running for the scrubbing brush.

When I say too citrusy, that's not just me complaining because citrus is not my thing. The lemon and grapefruit tend to clash, creating a strange, sour sharpness that is more headache-inducing than refreshing.

The mint is more like toothpaste than the fresh, green kind. The top notes, to my nose, just seem all wrong.

The scent does improve thankfully with the introduction of the slightly spicy rhubarb and coriander. Live Jazz actually begins to smell somewhat delicious and starts to hint at an element of freshness, possibly even sexiness.

The base is rather smooth, nutty and woodsy. I unfortunately didn't get much in the way of the vanilla, which was something I was looking forward to.

Live Jazz has me changing my opinions every few seconds. One moment it will make my nose wrinkle with its acidity, the next minute it intrigues me. Personally, I probably wouldn't like a significant other of mine to wear this, seeming that it is so strong and so sharp. For some it may be their holy grail.

Live Jazz does have a touch of classiness, however its ruthlessness happens to suggest otherwise at times. My only tip would be to apply sparingly, in fear of people dropping like flies in their millions.

tonni
tonni

The mint is very strong makes this scent like a big mint toothpaste,fresh but so so,I do not like it at all.

I want to check this out but no luck. Can anyone tell me what it's similar to? Do citrus and mint give you like chewing gum or mouthwash vibes?

instantjim
instantjim

Live Jazz – a sonnet
Dedicated to cinsot (you dared me to – I did it)

The sharpness of lemon at the very first
Is stop’d from smelling like ironing spray
By mint which tempers the citric burst
Until the ethanol has passed away.

When the pallid liquid has dried down well
And the lemony assault has ceased its surge
Crisp and herbaceous it starts to smell
Faint woody base notes at the last emerge.

When an hour or two have come and gone
And the once Lively Jazz is all but dead
I feel the need to put gallons more on
As the last note lowers its feeble head.

If only this juice lasted hours longer
Had more woods and was a whole lot stronger.

scenturian
scenturian

I dont think its the greenest scent. Check the cK Truth Men for the greenest scent.
This is cool and yet so warm. Versatile fragrance. A little green, a little sweet, a little woody, a little spicy, a little sour...
Refreshing in summer, warming in winter.
And I dont think it smells like the vegetables or a salad bar.
Maybe the coriander faking the people which is the dominant note in Live Jazz.
Longevity and sillage ok 4me.
As its named its really so Jazzy, quite unique and different scent.
Except the bottle has no similarities with the original.
Opens up with lemon peel, grapefruit and cool mint. Very refreshing and cool, then very soon mid notes join to this carnival which give a subtle sweetness, spiceness and warmness, within 30-60 minutes base notes join also which add some woody notes and sweetness of amber and vanilla. Then all notes exist till end.
Btw very natural, nothing smells synthetic to me in LJ, especially the lemon note is absolutely so natural.

kraxa
kraxa

This was a smell I've chosen for a guy I had a casual relationship with. He never cared for perfume before he got Live Jazz from me, but even though we've been over for several years now, we remained friends, and I know this become his signature scent, and every new girlfriend has to live with the fact ;-)))

lfmars98
lfmars98

Nice clean scent but it has low sillage and last 6 hours on my skin. Cheap bottle so you get want you pay for. 7/10.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

One of the best blind buys I ever made! I was looking for a gift for my boyfriend (a jazz guitarist) who never wears cologne, except when I have had him wear samples. Live Jazz fits him perfectly! It's a fresh and masculine scent, exactly as I expected a good Aromatic Fougere would smell-fresh and natural-fresh without being aquatic, soapy, overly citric or weird. I actually love the rhubarb in this,and the lasting power on the bf is fantastic! Fairly low sillage, which fits his mellow personality. As soon as I got the bottle I tried it on myself, and loved it-it had a pretty similar smell on my skin-but there's no reason for me to wear this-the bf really likes it, and I have enough more suitably feminine fragrances of my own to just enjoy it on him.

RobbieX

A light clean cologne, a mint/orange smell at start - then dries down to a bergamot/grapefruit scent, a nice summer smell. Be better if it was a bit stronger (maybe Live Jazz Loud) It's a likeable scent.

missan
missan

On me this is a perfect cologne, smells great with exactly the right sillage.
Long lasting.
The rhubarb and coriander lingers and lingers.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Mint grapefruit is great for winter. Original but not a great lasting power and almost no sillage. But the scent is great to my nose! hehe

7,5 / 10

bourbon108
bourbon108

Wow! The opening blast of mint and grapefruit is very refreshing on a hot summer day.

This is a great summer scent and the dry down has some sort of vegetable note that makes it different.

guest_levan bichnigauri
guest_levan bichnigauri

mmm luv it

AJ73
AJ73

Yay! This cologne is everything it's bottle design and name promises. It's happiness and energy. It's different from anything else. I got so many compliments on this one. People always ask and wonder what that unique ingredient is they smell. I guess it's the Rhubarb. Very unusual but then very familiar.

Archaic
Archaic

I love it to the max. Smells lemon with mint. Very cool. Great for summer. The rhuburb adds a little kick. Sillage is average. Longevity around 4 hours.

guest_!!!!
guest_!!!!

hmmm it is nor the best fragrance of ysl......i like only the fierst not leater the fragrance begin to smell like tousends other perfums...not realy special

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

Channel sport or BLV Aqua can't reach this great. Full of energy, refresh, so jazzy, so funky,so green. I love this wonderful coolness.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

Live Jazz is the perfect choice for sunny and dry days. I really don't know why, but it smells like a bowl full of fresh vegetables!

It opens with strong notes of grapefruit and mint and during its development I smell these vegetables. Quite long lasting and good sillage.

afraafra
afraafra

Not everyone likes this there is a note lingering in there that I don't like, (mint, rhubarb, or coriander?)

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent 4.06 out of 5 based on 362 ratings and 64 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.