Designers » T-Z » Oriental Woody « Groups

M7 Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

I have it: 1422 I had it: 457 I want it: 1425 My signature: 64

oud
M7 Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures M7 Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures M7 Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures M7 Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

M7 by Tom Ford embodies the male sensuality. It is the seventh men perfume by YSL and the second one created by Tom Ford (who worked as the creative director for YSL at the time). The creators are: Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas. M7 was accompanied by a very provocative advertising campaign with a denude man. We show you one of the moderate ones. M7 man is elegant, sensual, masculine and desirable. The face in the commercials is the aikidist Samuel De Cuber.

M7 is a heavy, rich, intensive and masculine fragrance, dominated by dark, warm and dry precious woody notes with an accord of raw materials and a heavy, natural, earth-like note originating from vetiver. The frangrance is so masculine that it is not even recommended to women who like to wear perfumes for men.

The formula of this perfume encompasses assorted trees and raw, odorous plants. The composition begins with elegant citrusy notes of Italian bergamot, Sicilian mandarin and rosemary from Southern France. The worm heart contains one of the most expensive components – Agarwood, followed by vetiver. The prefume closes with a soft ambergris trail and musky notes. The bottle coloured in warm nuances was created by Tom Ford and Doug Lloyd. The perfume was created in 2002.

Rosemary Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Agarwood (Oud) Vetiver

Amber Musk

La Collection M7 Oud Absolu

M7 Fragrance Reviews

weaselize
weaselize

sorry but there,s so much bullshit going here. Everybody,s cryin about the original M7 is gone. I still have it and like it but i also like the new version that is more appealing to the crowds. The original is all about wood. The new version brings a sweat touch to it. AT LEAST be happy in some kind of way that YSL DID bring it back although in a reformulated version. Because not many designers bring something back to life. Try to appreciate that a little bit and if not just leave it and step to another brand, no one will stop you

gatsby

"The perfume was created in 2002."
... And killed few years later without a sane reason on Earth. RIP, gorgeous masterpiece! The new M7 oud absolu? ABSOLU no.

seekritdude
seekritdude

Got to try the vintage one recently. It reminds me of something else, which for all I know could very well be M7 oud absolu but cant remember the last time I smelled that so lets leave that aside.

On paper I get much more of the sorta thick cherry cough syrup vibe. On skin its much more toned down, and surprisingly sorta fresh and a bit of a powder smell. For the dr.pepper comparison, maybe but if I were to call it that, it would be more so a dr.pepper that has gone flat if that makes sense.

I found this pretty wearable, considering how much of a powerhouse fragrance ive heard this was. I wasnt blown away by it by any means. It actually seemed pretty safe. Then again maybe after smelling so many other more potentially harsh oud fragrances this one just isnt that out there at all to me. Which dont get me wrong im not saying its a bad thing as they arent maybe fragrances with lots of oud that im comfortable wearing anyway....

Projection was lite on my skin, but longevity was good. Probably 12 hours, and then after that sorta slightly sweet musk stayed on my skin for quite a few hours after that a well.

Overall it was alright for me. Didnt really trigger any specific emotion for me, didnt think it was super masculine like others, super sexy, or anything. It was just kinda there for me. Maybe if I get some good compliments on it that opinion might change but as for now, just ok.

Asrul Afrizal Anuar
Asrul Afrizal Anuar

Seriously. This stuff is amazing, one of the best

A + for Sillage
A for longevity

hadi2073
hadi2073

خوشبو و با وقار ولی به نظر من بوی عود تو این ادکن صابونیه

ayaya
ayaya

This scent is unique and superb, but now for me this scent has been ruined by a coleague who has a bought a cheaper and an immitation version of YSL M7, its so getting into my nerves and i dont think i'll ever buy M7, because someone ruined the scent for me by wearing a cheaper version.

holland50
holland50

This one will stay in my collection forever. I already own M7 since 2005 and two years ago I managed to get two extra bottles of the vintage stuff as back-up. And it is still going strong. If I go out M7 is still a head-turner. Last time I went out with four friends we passed a group of women in a crowded bar and one of them started yelling: who is smelling so awesome....Amazing for such a 'dated' scent in a bar where all the guys are wearing one million. I guess the vintage M7 is one of the few flagrances that has the quality to be remembered through time. I know it stands out and people say you have to be able to pull this one off. But I also believe that it works both ways: M7 gives you character. There are not many scents with the same quality.

nero77
nero77

M7... the Myth, the Legend.

Tom Ford was known for a lot of things... he was the man who turned around the fortunes of Gucci from almost bankrupt to such a degree that they were able to buy YSL. He always took risks and they paid off, they were always daring and innovative. A master of design.

M7 was (and in some cases still is) a fragrance unlike any other. It was the first time the note of oud was introduced in mainstream perfumery. There was nothing like it at the time of release. Innovative and daring (just like the YSL of the past). This fragrance is strong yet soft, powerful yet quiet. Very masculine but with a hint of femininity. It's also very well made. Beautiful, elegant stuff.

M7 opens up with a slightly herbal and aromatic accord of rosemary with fresh bergamot & mandarin. What starts to come through very soon though... is the oud. Oud, or Agarwood, is the sap from an infected tropical tree. It can smell medicinal, it can smell sweet, animalic, and can often be cloying. Here that isn't the case. In M7 the oud is perfectly balanced with the other notes, the amber and the musk. There is also an earthy vetiver note which stops this from being overtly sweet, and the drydown is a smooth, powdery amber & musk combination. Extremely pleasing and nice.

My bottle is a reformulation from 2009, but not the "re-orchestrated" version released recently by Yves Saint-Laurent called M7 Oud Absolu. I haven't smelled that but I'm told it keeps some of the character of the original.

Personally, I think this is a wonderful gem of a fragrance, but I think that this has since been explored more by the countless oud variations that flooded the market in recent years. I have a hard time recommending this purely as an oud fragrance, and if you want oud, there are better examples out there. But for what it is, it's a masterpiece in my opinion. But for everyone else, feel free to check out the new version or any "stronger" oud blends out there... because I'm keeping this one for sure!

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

I completely missed-the-boat on M7 and went the M7 Oud Absolu route prior to recently acquiring a bottle of M7 (reformulated). I find this version to be three-quarters similar to Oud Absolu--which is a good thing--but there are some differences. To me M7 is a classy, smooth, confident, masculine fragrance that has a lighly-sweetened cherry-cola vibe going on in the background. It's just a sexy drydown that makes even Homer Simpson more appealing to the ladies than Fabio.

I'm usually pretty good as describing how fragrances smell or how they make me feel, but I dumbstruck when it comes to this one. I love M7 OA, but I love this one even more. IMO, it has a little more of that cherry-cola thing going on along with being slightly woodier/oudier than the OA version. Whereas I get a slightly more barbershop (e.g., Rive Gauche) feel to M7 OA.

Longevity is 10-hours and it M7 projects above average on my skin. I'm very happy with the performance...just thought it would be a little more on the beastly side. Also, this is not a beastly medicinal/sweet oud frag like some of my Middle Eastern and niche oud perfumes; it's softer. However, it feels rich, smooth, a bit dark and certainly intoxicating. M7 is just a very well-done and interesting scent.

11/23/2014

Layton S
Layton S

I found a sample of vintage M7 and I'm really glad I did. I really cant say anything that hasn't already been said about this but if I can find a bottle of it I'm buying it right away!

nat.thomson7
nat.thomson7

It did remind me of Dr. Pepper, but not in earnest. Amusing, but it's a serious scent. The dry down is indeed great. Worldly. That something could go from reminding you of Dr Pepper to making you feel like a titan of industry is very interesting.

Used to wear with chunky sweaters in autumnal shades and sometimes denim. And only for the big nights out. Fun with a cowboy shirt, Tom Ford style, of course.

I was younger then and this is probably a more mature scent than that type of dress, but that's the fun part, there aren't any rules.

Probably works best naked or dressed to the nines. No half stepping. If you must wear with t-shirt and jeans, half spray will do please.

You can find things that smell similar for sure- Animal Oud by I Coloniali being one of them. Poor man's version but no point in being snobbish. They say it's for women but that's rubbish.

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

M7 è un profumo meraviglioso.
un bouquet profondo, caldo, sensuale e fumoso,dove si mescolano le note aromatiche, legnose, terrose, ambrate e muschiate, ricche di fascino, resinose e avvolgenti.
ogni nota si sviluppa con calma, molto lentamente,scandita.
il fondo su cui si sviluppa la fragranza risulta dolce,ricorda il tabacco, ma le note amare e terrose si combinano con gli agrumi e vivacizzano il bouquet.
misterioso,profondo,avvolgente, risulta come una pozione magica, medicamentosa...ricorda un unguento, ha gli aromi delle resine orientali, spirituale e carnale, magnetico.

Jomoves
Jomoves

There's so much buzz on here about thsi fragrance, so when I was on holidays last week I went into the local chemist and found a full, unboxed and untested bottle of this for $25! The cap was broken but who cares!

I have the vintage version YSL Rive Gauche Homme and it is a lot like that. So much so, that if you don't like that one then no need to really search this one out. It has the same strong amber boozy-barabership -shaving cream thing going on, but with more depth. A true MAN fragrance, Lasts for a full day on me and becomes a softer version of itself rather than completely disintegrating as most modern fragrances do.

For comparisons sake I tested the new M7 Oud and as you might suspect, the new one is just terrible. So synthetic and diluted. If you're going to spend big bucks on that one then get yourself on eBay and pick up a bottle of the original instead.

cytherian
cytherian

When I first sampled Yves Saint Laurent M7 (original) I was amazed at the strong impression it gives of cherry wood. I could see how some people might interpret it as a kind of cherry cough syrup. But as the dry down gets underway, that cherry accord fades enough to let the oud speak out loud. It's a really nice oud. Semi-sweet. Rich. Long lasting. But it took me a while to realize that.

My first experience of YSL M7 left me feeling like this was a nice "first attempt" at oud and that there are plenty of niche oud focused fragrances that are superior. But after getting a 50ml bottle and enjoying it in more liberal amounts than what a paltry sample can give, I've grown to really like it. A real bummer how it was discontinued and replaced by a "shadow" of the original, undeservedly called "M7 Oud Absolu". They really should have left off "M7" as it has no place there. M7 Oud Absolu is a rather respectable fragrance, but my preference is for original M7. There was a TON of this stuff produced and because it was a semi-flop (it gained major popularity only after it was discontinued), there was an earlier time when it could be had for pennies per ML. If only I'd known about it then! I'd have a warehouse and would be making a killing. ;-)

Btw, I can't believe people are comparing this to Black Afgano by Nasomato. I sampled that at Barney's and found only a slight similarity to M7, not enough to say it readily reminds me of it. Also... M7 original compared to M7 reformulation (the one with a clear bottle and brown sticker on one side)? Not much difference. Second one is a tad drier, a slight bit less cherry. But otherwise indistinguishable.

Anyway, in my book original YSL M7 gets a solid 10/10.

syedemad
syedemad

Hi
I am just reading all the comments here but I want to ask "Where on earth I can get this?"

I live in Pakistan by they way :)

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

This masterpiece (the original) is hard to describe, but I will try. I get the initial blast of sweet syrupy cherry Dr. Pepper everyone talks about. Its much stronger when sniffing the bottle than on the skin. And trust me, it dissipates fast. Then the oud stands out, then you notice the sweet tobacco/woody notes. The finish is a spicy complexity that will never be duplicated. I doubt M7 could even be described exactly the same by two people. This is one dark and mysterious gem and it is unfortunate it is no longer available. Sad to say I smelled it when it first came out and hated it when I sniffed it right from the bottle. In retrospect, its a hard sell. You really have to live with it awhile to warm it up to it and appreciate it. I finally ended up getting a bottle from somewhere and I have never wore a cologne that got me more compliments. However, it's not at all commercial scent, and it was not on the market for too long.
When it got discontinued Marshall's had the whole line (after shave balm, shower gel, deoderant) for next to nothing. I bought some of the items and gave away great xmas gifts that year to my guy friends and I set myself up as well as buying a 1.7 oz spray for $19.99. Looking back I should have stock piled even more. I'm still kicking myself.

thiefofnoses
thiefofnoses

I was very surprised with myself when I realised that I really liked M7. It's different enough from most designer fragrances to be a classic, although a little ubiquitous now was with the influx of Middle Eastern fragrances onto the market.

The best way I can describe it is: Dior Fahreinheit (-industrial petroleum) (+medicinal) + sweet = M7.* Like everyone else I get the cherry cough syrup assocation. Ultra-masculine, hairy-chested and very musky.

I don't know if it's the marketing playing mind games with me (hey look, there's a man's weiner in the marketing photographs!) but I believe this would be the perfect fragrance for a night out partying and 'sexy time'.

* Please note I do not like Dior Fahrenheit

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

There are few words left to say about this discontinued gem. Try to imagine cherry Dr. Pepper in a medical clinic and you're about half way there. I don't know how something that reminds me of my childhood pediatrician's office could possibly be enjoyable, but M7 is truly stunning. It's sexy, mysterious, and exaggeratedly masculine, though notably sweet and very, very powdery. Don't know if a unisex tag would be appropriate but I'd definitely encourage a woman to try it out.

The bottle alone is totally awesome, as this thing just screams retro. I love the dark amber glass and old school, square shaped sprayer. I'd imagine it on a dresser in the '80s, right next to some beta movie tapes and a giant waterbed. Too fun.

This one was ahead of its time. In today's oud-crazed market, you'd think it'd be wise to bring M7 back, but I'm sure YSL has other priorities aside from appeasing fragrance nerds. Guess we can only sit back now and watch it fade into obscurity.

batabidd
batabidd

Loved it when was available. Sexy, manly and sweet.
If you looking for something very similar you NEED to try CDG wonderoud (softer but veryy similar) without hesitation...

cookiedais

I can hardly put into words how much I love this men's fragrance . It usually seems to worn by men with impeccable taste , the dark sweetness of the cherry is divine .
In fact I hope that when I die and go to perfume heaven , I pray that the angels who will carry me to heaven will be reeking of M7 !!!
I have an original bottle which I purchased for my boyfriend and he wears it on special occasions only do it justice !!!
It's a love love love for me .
The new version absolu is good but lacks the depth,strength and sheer drama of the original .

pjd1234
pjd1234

ohh I miss this one I should have bought 2 bottles when I had a chance. I still have my vintage bottle only sprayed once lol I only spray it when I miss it and its not in rotation because its discontinued what a shame. definitely one of the best designer frag made its that addicting, distinct and unique. I hope they bring it back w/o changing it.

GianGG
GianGG

This is a review of the vintage m7(v1).

I've put m7 v1 on my left arm and m7 oud absolu on the other.

M7 v1 contains real agarwood and it makes a big difference .
When I smell m7 v1, I can easily notice the genuine oud on my arm, it is like something alive. The oud from m7 oud absolu smells really synthetic, dull, flat and lifeless.

M7 v1 is masterly blended . In oud absolu the synthetic oud is predominant and the fragrance doesn't have the same magical smell than the original.

M7 v1 also has a monster sillage and projects all the day, when you spray it, it fills an entire room. Oud absolu is close to skin.

I've smelt a lot of oudy fragrance in the niche market but this one is easily the best oudy fragrance. Like a reviewer said, m7 is not only an oudy fragrance, it is a complete fragrance perfectly blended with amber, rosemary,vetiver, mandarins...and it has its uniqueness.

I understand why people pay a lot more to have the original instead of oud absolu. It is worth the money.
Oud absolu is not a bad fragrance but it's nothing compared to the original.

The price on ebay for the v1 is 110-130 EUR for 50 ml.

Yves saint laurent should relaunch the original m7 as a niche or an online exclusive, even if it will cost a lot more, because we will run out of stock.

rating 5+++/5

seachase
seachase

I agree with the other reviewers...this is a 'real man's' scent. Even the promotional team and the guy that posed naked for the ads was aware of that, as evidenced by his proud display of thick body hair. (check out that gloriously thick and untrimmed bush of his.....That, my friends, is a M7-Man's bush)
No, this wasn't an oh-so-delicate cologne aimed at the "no pubes, candy-aqua-fruit loving wimps," this was a sweet but rip-roaring, Godzilla-stomping-through-Tokyo fragrance.
The only way I can describe it would be a mixture of the finest Arabian musk with that distinct, men's barbershop powder and some rare spices to give it some spark...but, ask 50 different men and they'll give you 50 different descriptions.
I really miss those 'full bush' type of colognes for men. The so called powerhouses today aren't exactly masculine, like Le Male and 1 Million. Although I love 1 Million, the machismo factor is somewhat missing and one feels obligated to trim or shave their pubes in order to wear it :)
Oh well, Tom Ford and Co. should still be proud of everything accomplished with M7....and should really consider bringing it back in all its glory.

Scent - 9
Longevity - 10
Sillage - 10

K1
K1

M7 is my portal to perfume world. About four years ago when I was wearing M7 for a while, the medicinal cough syrup theme arouse my curiosity. So I checked the internet and I found Fragrantica!
Nothing could satisfy me more since then even niche fragrances. The level of oud in this masterpiece is unrepeatable, dry, deserty, pure oriental, heavy and great. M7 is sexy, seductive, edgy and virile.
I tested many perfumes, so many oud based ones, I owned several fragrances from several categories but nothing cam come in between me and my M7!

bottledHeaven
bottledHeaven

One word: polarizing.

What I mean is that this scent is so out there and different from what is currently out there and popular, that it is going to either intrigue the hell out of you or chase you out the door.

I bought this when I was 17, thought it was terrible, and kept it tucked away thinking "holy shit what a waste of money.." Now, as a 25 year old, I'm dying to pull this badboy out: cool or cold day, with semi-casual to formal gear.

Smells like an oozing, aged, damp piece of fine wood. Definitely has that medicinal quality that people say, but this wears off after the first hour.

Lasts a LONG time - when I wear this to bed, the smell lingers when I return to bed the night after. The drydown is very comforting.

The wearer is a man who lives out a deep sense of purpose. Simultaneously, he is in touch with his sensual side and expresses himself, quietly but confidently.

** update - wore this to a talk the other night. A gorgeous woman in her late 40s sat beside me. We flirted throughout and she hugged me at the end of the night (not the mom-to-son kind if you know what I mean). I'm a 25 year old male. It was either the M7, or my charm's gone up. Let's go with the M7 ;)

evilspin
evilspin

Before I got interested in fragrances and having a large collection, I used to have the after shave and lotion of this that I found when we moved and it belonged to my dad. I since threw it out since there wasn't much left and probably got stenched a bit but I recall liking the classic bottle and sniffing it everytime. Now my father doesn't recall the name or ever owning it but I do and one day I went to a mall in San Francisco and I ran into it a recognized the bottle. I wanted to buy two fragrances and I enjoyed smelling M7 tester. I definitely got Jill Sander which was a very large one for 30 bucks and I was about to get M7 cause I felt the smell was nothing like I owned. But my friend said she enjoyed smelling opium by YSL more. So I took a while debating but got the Opium as my second choice. How I regret so much the decision. I never wear Opium not because I don't like it but its not a casual or signature scent unless your a classic older dad or grandpa which those scents remind my of my childhood and hugging them. Besides I have so many great fragrances to choose from and I live in Miami a sunny place so Opium is not the best choice. only for Winter. But I started getting more into fragrances and I learned it was Tom Fords creation for YSL and discontinued and hard to find now unless you want to pay high online for it. I regret it even more that I didn't get it when I stumbled across it on my Cali trip. :( Now I want it more and eager to try M7 fresh as well. I see M7 Oud absolu and its a good alternative but not the same. I want the original and I enjoy the classic bottle. just to have it feels like a completed mission. The downfall? you risk purchasing one that may not contain the right scent in juice due to being old. Fragrances are best during its first 3 years of creation.

silentman26
silentman26

Warm vetiver,you can smell mandarin and intense wood, projects massively, sillage is very strong and a very clever bottle that is transformed to a 3D number 7 ... well done

Valfar
Valfar

Oh wow! M7! I actually lost all hopes that i would actually get myself a bottle. Tried the Oud Absolu version and really loved it, but it's performance didn't impressed me. So, i was craving a lot for this one, until one day, on my way to the gym found a random small store that had available a 100ml vintage tester bottle for only 40$. I was so happy! And I really had the reason to be. I instantly fell in love with the fragrance! I have to admit that the opening of this fragrance might be a "no no" for a lot of people because of that medicinal vibe. But it fades away very quick and then... MAGIC happens. A beautiful cherry/oud smell that will intoxicate you (in a good way). To me, this fragrance smells a lot like sprinkles.Like, imagine you would stick your nose into a bowl of sprinkles. Or, like you just opened a can of Coca-Cola Cherry or a Dr. Pepper, but a more woody, and mature smell given by the Oud note.

This fragrance became instantly my nr.1 favorite fragrance, dethroning the almighty Dior Homme Intense. For me, this fragrance is perfection! You would not wear this fragrance with the purpose to impress people around you and get compliments, although, you won't go unnoticed wearing it. I guarantee that! This fragrance is pure ART!

It's such shame that such masterpiece was discontinued. Although, the current interpretation of this fragrance, M7 Oud Absolu, it's actually a good substitute if you can't find the vintage M7. In my opinion, it's 90% similiar. Although performance are not that impressive with Oud Absolu. This one is a beast! Really, as i said early, this is indeed intoxicating. Actually, this fragrance is not for every average guy. This projects pure masculinity! So, if you are more attracted to mainstream sweet/fresh/citrus fragrances, you might not find this one very appealing.

As performance goes, projection with this one is very impressive, but at the same time not to loud. I'd say slightly more than arm-lengt projection, but a dense type of projection. Longevity, more than 12 hours!
As for versatility, i would not recommend wearing this in warm weather. I actually tried wearing just 2-3 sprays on a night out during this month, but, didn't felt right. So yeah, this would be much more suitable for the colder seasons.

Overall, this is a true masterpice that i'm really glad i finally found it. I hope i'll buy a back-up bottle of this masterpiece in the near future. If you could find a bottle of this amazing juice, don't hesitate. You will really appreciate this creation. Tom Ford did an amazing job creating this piece of art! You will smell so unique, i mean, i doubt that i would find at least 2 guys in my town to own this fragrance. For me, this is indeed, the PERFECT fragrance. This is how PERFECTION smells like!

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

M7... I really don't know what to say about it. This is by far the most shapeshifter perfume I have ever smelled in my humble perfume experience.

It has, hands down the worst opening ever! A mixture of urine and sweat shrieking violently to the point that you have runny eyes. God that opening was aweful! Then, after 10 minutes, it starts to settle down. The oud note becomes dominant. At this point the perfume is still strong. Could barely smell my hand. 30 minutes after and it's all softened into a woody, ambery sort of vanillic smell that is very very good! Finally, the true beauty of this perfume emerges and shows you who it really is!

This is a very masculin scent. It takes confidence to pull it off. Otherwise the scent will wear you out! I'am going to need more testings to see if I can wear this fragrance or the opening might be too much for me to handle. Kudos for everyone who enjoy this fragrance. You are the "Men"!

briangouliquer
briangouliquer

I am a lover of all things Tom Ford but I sadly just cant get behind this one. I at one point owned 2 vintage bottles (4 ingredients, 4 sides brown) but swapped them away. One was brand new sealed and one I wore only twice. The first time was to wear it...and the second was to solidify my dislike for it.
It was a blind buy due to all the awesome reviews and the fact that I love and have other Tom Ford colognes but sadly this was a huge miss for me.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

M7 is quite hard for me to review, it has been my "signature" scent around 2003 (actually more than "signature" it was the only bottle I had at that time, and I was not even that passionate about perfumes, I think it was a gift and I used to bath in it – if only I knew they would have discontinued it). To smell it again today after years threw me back in time, which kind of makes it difficult to review it "objectively". However I must say that it aged so well, I am ultra happy to have it back in my rotation, actually it is even better than I remembered – such a complete, rich, irresistible scent. Thousands of words have been written about M7, mostly about the fact it's the first scent introducing agar wood to Western consumers: if we speak about "oud", today there is surely dozens of scents which have a more bold, powerful and deep oud note. The fact is that M7 does not want to be an "oud something", meaning that it's not about oud being thrown among random notes (to make it sound different from other ouds); M7 it's a perfume, with capital "p", therefore the oud is only a component beautifully and masterfully blended with the rest. Basically the original M7 is a great, irresistible, captivating, mellow and elegant woody-ambery scent with sweet nuances – a medicinal-winey and slightly boozy kind of sweet – with a genius hint of dry herbs (oregano) following the "lesson" of Ambre Sultan about how delightfully amber & herbs go together, and the dark, woody (and not rubbery) agar wood base. That's it: a dark, yet friendly scent, rich but gentle on skin basically anytime of the year, refined, deep, versatile. It may look simple, but you smell it once, and you will recognize it anywhere in the future. It has appeal, class, it fits like a glove, it has the same polarizing charm of a well-cut suit, which may have nothing flashy or bold, but makes you stand out for sure. Fans of modern ouds may not like this, as there is no "in-your-face" oud notes – instead the note it's more delicate and blended with the rest of the components; but oud aside, M7 is a complete masterpiece of strength, elegance, depth, contrasts and modernity. It is a banality, but: "they don't make them like this anymore". Don't feed the sharks (sellers), but grab it if you find it a decent price!

9,5/10

Tomfinx
Tomfinx

Best fragrance in the world (the vintage one brown bottle). Better than BA by Nasomatto. 10/10

johnsmunro
johnsmunro

The Cherry Dr. Pepper of dark fragrances. A wonderful scent. Seductive, sexy and perfect for a night out. The women love this one. Probably too strong for the office. If you can find the original, its even better and louder. I highly recommend this to anyone trying Oud for the first time. A great starter oud scent. Happy Hunting!

amazing, just amazing, one of the best oud fragrances of all time.

Freakmotion
Freakmotion

I tested today a vintage bottle I bought and was expecting too much, I guess... It's good, but not legend-good; in fact, it reminded me of a much more masculine 24 Gold by Scentstory.

I'll keep using it, because it's good :)

By the way, by all the comments here and the votes, I thought this was going to be a sillage bomb, but... I just get little whiffs from time to time. It does last long, though.

Greetings from Chile!

joov84
joov84

a syrupy medicinal powdery ambery oudy fragrance.

vintage version (amber glass on 4 sides): This is a great fragrance from YSL. opens up with a quiet sharp and sweet medicinal smell that is pleasant. as time progresses it gets less medicinal and more powdery and ambery. the fragrance is also quiet sweet. i always cant stop sniffing the atomizer. smells really good. the performance is good. (8 hour longevity). most suitable in cooler weather. highly recommended.

8.8/10

hamidrezaa
hamidrezaa

This is a beautiful and enchanting sweet, smoky woody oriental scent that I love wearing when the weather gets cold. It is a very heavy and sweet scent, and in cold weather it almost has a warming effect. It certainly warms the soul. Imagine the smell of spicy hot amber with cherries and burnt wood, and you'll get some idea of what this is like. It smells dreamy and exotic.

M7 (vintage) was a surprise for me. I expected a dark sillage monster, a kind of proto-Montale. Instead, it was a fluffy Persian kitty, all light musk and sweet amber on a comfy little bed of "safe" oud.

That is not to say that I disliked it--on the contrary, it is a magnificent fragrance, albeit misunderstood. I didn't really get the "cherry cough syrup" accord others have mentioned--just sweet amber with a touch of citrus.

The only thing that prevents this from being a full-fledged masterpiece is the surprisingly light sillage and poor longevity. Granted, my skin absorbs fragrance like Shamwow absorbs spilled milk, but I was expecting more than the 4-5 hours I got from M7

Pros: Groundbreaking at the time.
Cons: Has been surpassed by niche ouds, imo.

aurigavr

why it's impossible to add the similarity with other fragrances???

xaksa
xaksa

واقعا حیف که دیگه تولید نمی شه
اگرچه نسخه هود رو زدن، اما این ی چیز دیه بود.

al.to
al.to

M7 is.. gold in a bottle!
to me the notes are raspberry
pungent rosemary or oregano
earthy herbaceous true vetiver
and amber talc cocoa

oud is a aura you can feel throughout the whole development of the fragrance
dirty animalic woody and marvellous stalled

deserves the fame he has.

bottle and the adv campagn are visionary and old fashioned at the same time

Tom Ford idea of man
(or one idea, the opposite of gucci rush men)

Sad absolu version isn't bad but different, lost the multidimension original M7
and get a boring identity

pelinkovac
pelinkovac

so insensitive (10+/10)

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

I remember reading about M7 here on fragrantica when I first became a member.. It sounded fascinating and I wanted to try it.. I was so intrigued about M7 being the first designer "oud" fragrance and not to mention the ad campaign which I thought was brilliant.. I mean half nude if not fully nude women appear in so many ads so why is it so horrible to show the male body in all its glory? Anyways I first stumbled upon the scent when I bought a M7 aftershave bottle in a profumeria in Italy.. I sat there sniffing the cap and was drawn into the mysterious scent.. Now I am lucky enough to own some of the edt.. I have wore M7 a couple of times but this is a fragrance I have to be in the mood to wear, because it does have a very strong scent.. M7 opens up dark and syrupy straight from the start although the mandarin orange and the bergamot brighten it up a tiny bit for the first few minutes and than it just gets darker and warmer.. There is a rosemary note in the opening also that adds a bit of a herbal tinge to the opening and I guess that is what is contributing to the slight medicinal vibe.. The oud is detectable right from the beginning till the end and it is the star of the show.. The vetiver is also detectable and adds its own slight touch to the scent.. The base notes are amber and musk, and there is loads of sweet amber dominating M7 along with the oud.. I have also heard that there is some mandrake root in there somewhere.. M7 is all about the mandarin, oud, and the amber all blended together perfectly with the other notes adding there touch.. The color of the bottle represents the scent perfectly! There is a dr pepper/cherry cola vibe going on here but it smells great.. This is a strong unique masculine scent that takes time to understand and get use to but I do not see how a real fragrance fanatic like myself could not appreciate it.. M7 is a deep, dark, unique, mysterious, sexy, manly scent that will stand out among a crowd.. M7 was the first oud fragrance I have experienced and it probably will be the best one I ever will.. The projection and longevity are pretty good also.. I have tried the vintage juice and the first reformulation but there is not much of a difference.. The vintage is a bit thicker and syrupy whereas the first reformulation is a bit less syrupy and a tiny bit powdery, but both are great! It is a shame that M7 was discontinued but I thank YSL for bringing it back to us in their La Collection form "M7 Oud Absolu"! I wish other fragrance houses like Gucci would bring back their classic fragrances the way YSL did.. M7 Oud Absolu is also very similar although a bit different from the original but still just as amazing! Do not buy into the bullshit lies about Oud Absolu being watered down, that is far from the truth.. I will continue to love and experiment with this complex masterpiece..

toto453
toto453

Only pleasant but not my favorite. A little bit spiritless...it seems it has been reformulated years ago, that is mabe the reason why I don't like it as far as it could...

Marangoni
Marangoni

As of today, I'm the proud owner of a vintage bottle of M7. A killer. I'm a girl, and boy, am I going to wear this. Beats all the new Tom Fords, nothing even comes close. Please, bring it back.

با سلام
افسوس و صد حیف که عطری چنین عالی و بی نظیر که میتوان از آن به عنوان سلطان عطرهای مردانه یاد کرد دیگر تولید نمی شود و دوستدارانش را از استشمام آن محروم ساخت
اگرچه عود آن را تولید کردند اما خود ام سون ورژن اصلی کار عطری بسیار مردانه و خاص به شمار می رفت
خودم با وجود آنکه در طول مدت عمرم هزاران رایحه مختلف را در داخل و خارج از کشور استشمام کرده ام و به نوعی در این کار سابقه دیرینه دارم هنوز که هنوز است عطری به خوش بویی اینکار را کمتر تجربه کرده ام البته در نوع رایحه و کلاس خود
با احترام
Kik: mehrdad_gallery
E.mail: perfume.gallery121@gmail.com

lvxifer
lvxifer

Surprisingly fresh and not heavy at all with excellent longevity and sillage.it smells like older barbershop cologne with cherry sirup.i can't detect any oud or some aspect of darkly illuminated.mystery of M7(vintage version)is hidden before me.but i respect it,already is in fragrance's necronomicon.

missan

I think this is a wonderful perfume. But only the first, the original M7. To me it would seem that the original contains Hindi Oudh. The others have synthetic oud.

psychocandy
psychocandy

Golden-brown. She stays for the day. Never a frown with golden-brown.. M7.

Renodakato
Renodakato

I absolutely love this fragrance.
It's a very masculine yet exotic at the same time.
I usually don't buy eau de toilet perfumes but honestly this is one of the best.

Opens up with a strong oud scent then dries down to a woody tone.
There are definitely hints of Amber .

The Sillage and Longevity are amazing for an EDT. I get usually 7-9 hours on my skin.
I have problems usually with EDT since they seem to just get soaked and eaten alive by my somewhat dry skin . However, M7 puts up a good fight and comes out winning .

A + for Sillage
A for longevity

ALSO, if you are interested in buying a 5ml sample or purchasing a vintage 1. 6 Oz bottle , check out my ebay auctions . I sell both cause I want people to experience this before it's truly gone .
Ebay screenname is : happy _birthday _max

johannbale
johannbale

Top class from YSL. Some people compare it to m7 oud absolu. Actually from my point of view, m7 is the real oud from YSL. The M7 oud absolu seems to be very intense with mandarin orange scent on the opening.

scents 10/10
longevity 8/10
sillage 8/10.

recommended? YES-highly recommended!

sanicojo
sanicojo

Hace 8 dias entre a una farmacia en Puerto Rico y en area de perfume estaba este M7 Yves Saint Laurent 3.40 oz. Lo verifico, que no sea una copia y para mi sorpresa es original. Cuando lo pago el perfume estaba en liquidacion $20.00 dolares increible, y los compre todos los 3 que quedaban. Y el perfume es increible rico, unico. Verdaderamente fue un exito y mucha suerte.

Mr.Grand
Mr.Grand

Opening is terible for me. But the drydown is quite good. I understand why people call this masterpiece.

Jay T
Jay T

C'était ma première fois à porter un parfum avec Oud, donc je ne sais pas exactement ce que je cherchais. La première seconde semblait presque médicament ou comme vermouth. Il continue de ravir toute la journée tant en dessous, j'ai reçu sentait un peu de bois poli, du romarin, certains agrumes. C'était une joie à porter car il a continué à changer.

muzzbait
muzzbait

why on earth is this discontinued??? i don't get it. makes no sense to me at all. it's deep and majestic. the new version(s) is/are nice, but not like this...

Trobador
Trobador

absolutely best fragrance for me for now!!! brilliant and homy frag! In the beggining this one reminds me "taste" of rosin! then it's start abmre with oud, BUT ambergris is unbelievably fantastic here! Love it!

Sillage: 7/10
Scent: lemniscate(infinity)/10

I also want to try M7 Fresh version!!! and I will, soon...

mofojo74
mofojo74

why dont ysl have a higher end line like chanel,tom ford etc and re-issue this juice and the ORIGINAL formula along with opium,people who know their fragrance are willing to pay a lot more if the ingredients are more expensive!! anyway now thats out of the way can i say...WOOOOW!! just as i remembered back in 2004 when i had this originally i just got my vintage bottle off ebay and it instantly took me back to my first love!!! the tom ford D.N.A is running through this beast,i equate this scent to movies..piss like,paco rabane 1million,invictus,boss bottled polo etc are like the avengers movies....great,impressive instant but bland one dimensional and boring all in all!!! this m7 is like a david lynch movie..ie,unsettling,mysterious,dangerous,memorable and talked about!!!! i feel so superior to guys in the clubs when this scent bubble is around me,the girls must be sick of le male and one million in their nostrils,its no wonder women always as me what the hell i am wearing,i took a girl home once and she text me days later saying she can still smell me on her dress..:) that sums up this juice in one sentence....BEST FRAGRANCE EVER PRODUCED BY MILES!!!

TonyTele
TonyTele

I do not know all the secrets of this perfume but I think I saw the GC proper examination, and this holds true oud perfume in the original formula. It also contains the mandrake root, and chemical molecules and pheromonal expensive.
I am very amazed when I wear M7 because I have lots of expensive fragrances (Creed, Amouage, Kilian), but with this.... I get only 100% support, and enthusiasm.
I now want all the bottles to brown around the vintage that I find around, even if I spend the whole salary, I present to myself a collection that is priceless.
Thank You YSL for this gift to the World.
M7 First Formula 10/10 +++++

NOTE:
The second formula (half bottle in transparent glass) is is less beautiful, is much less intense and has a well-known oud and other synthetic feigned the current version (Oud Absolu) is chemistry and is another perfume that smells of mandarin and cistus.
The Fresh version is yet another perfume that smells just grapefruit and amber, that is not really good.
Be sure for keep the vintage one, a true gift of Heaven.

billem
billem

Finally I just got my first 2 50 ml bottles of this mysterious presence.After expecting very much from it due to all the positive reviews, my first impression was : how could the hell people love this stuff ? I couldn't believe it,it was nasty to my nose.After trying two different amounts of sprays in different moments,I discovered those middle notes of oud of which I wasn't really proud of but when I sprayed it on 3 times, well I finally found out after 1 hour, those base notes that bring you on another planet and that you can only notice with 3 sprays because 1 or 2 are not enough to make the basenotes come out from their precious womb.Just so surprizing and unexpected.Now I know you're mine baby.

Antares811
Antares811

Great perfume. Highly recommended, men.

Critic
Critic

One of the best.

Seriously. This stuff is amazing. Starts off smelling like cough syrup in a medicinal, sweet and syrupy sort of way.

Dries down to a more woody base with what I suspect is amber. I don't actually know what amber smells like so I'm guessing.

Either way, if you do not have the vintage M7, I hope you manage to get some. This is an all time great. Simply divine.

Sillage is ridiculous and it clings on your skin & clothes and simply refuses to go.

10/10.

Herman
Herman

I love it cause it's unique and sexy.

boogiewoogie
boogiewoogie

This is just incredible ! What this juice has to tell during a day !! I am stunned and just perplex of THIS !!
I will edit this later.. it`s just now ?!
overwelming !! not more to say by NOW !!

sharmap14

so i was lucky enough to find a vintage 100ml bottle of this at a store, i bought it and of course it smelled good. few weeks later i found another 50ml bottle of this but it was the reformulated version. looking at how rare and hard to find this fragrance is i purchased the 50ml as well. so i sprayed both on each wrist and i have to say that the vintage stuff i faaar better than the reformulation. the reformulated version smells more sour and curry like with burnt paper like smell to it. its similar to the vintage but has that sourness to it which i cant stand. however the drydown is slightly better. IMO if you can find the vintage version the complete dark red bottle buy it but if its the reformulated stuff don't blind buy because its more so that you wont like it.

nglatech
nglatech

As long as i remember there are three frags that very popular in my family and our city from my childhood day : oud, arabian incese and jasmine. And mybe this three frags are the first frag i ever smelled, yeah i grew up in moslem family.
To the most peoples in our city this three frags become more habit than just smell good, its very common that peoples wear this frags before they go to mosque, As i grow up into a young man i dont wanna smell like my father and grand father, thats what i always tell my self LOL.

Recently i have a little passion to the perfumes world, i always heard M7 name everywhere, peoples always make a fuss about it, the first thing that came up to my mind is, M7 is Oud frag and i will know without even try it, its not my thing. But, day by day, little by little, there is urge in my heart that became so strong, i want to try M7, i want to find out by myself what so good about it. I’m lucky enough, my friend found the last bottle in local store, he said he will take it for him self if i dont want it. I said okey, i will take a risk i will try it, at least i can easy to swap it if i cant adapted to it, there are so much frag lovers hunt this treasure.

Little by little, day by day, i try to adapt to it, this is not kind of love at the first sight to a sexy hot young girl for me, this is like a Long Love Journey with a real deep thought to a woman that i knew all along, she is my childhood friend, she know much about me, she care about me, and always by my side in joy and in sorrow.

I hope i can find a bottle again.

LanceDior

I wore this famously in the back of a limo on a modeling job, surrounded by beautiful female models (one of whom was in a bikini) and we were all sipping champagne. This is the sexiest damn cologne ever made. No bs, the vintage I own is dirty, fun, smudged red lipstick and fingernails digging into my back kinda sexual. Like, as close as a cologne could come to XXX porn.

sharmap14

just bought a 100ml of this from a private scent boutique today the lady had it lying in the warehouse hidden under a tonne of old inventory. so i bought it. sprayed it on my wrist and the only thing i can say is its similar to TomFord's Oud wood only difference is the cardamom and sandalwood note in the oudwood which make it a little sweeter in the drydown.

Mr.noise

Answer: if you're looking for the Oud in M7 you need the first version. Only the V1 is pure paradise!

nrthans
nrthans

I just have one question .. WHERE IS THE OUD ???? I cant smell anything close to oud !! all I can smell is the masculine, powdery , perfect smell , I love it !

manzoor86
manzoor86

cannibis,oud and amber with a tinge of citrus in the opening note,heavy monster,hard to find but fortunately i have got this sample,
this gives a feeling of an odd old house with lot of broken furniture with a mist of dirt flying on the head,smells very similar to arabian orientals,silage and longevity is promising,most of the time i keep it reserved for jumma prayer and religious activities,because it has got oud,i don't know why have always there is a connection of oud with mosques and gatherings like this,overall good dusty stuff.
well done YSL

A true trend setter!!!
Like Opium.

Still, discontinued...

And reformulated.
Like Opium.

They are truely crazy those people at YSL!!!

Egoiste was never a best seller, never sold very well, still Chanel never stopped its production.

Klementina
Klementina

Perhaps because the ad, perhaps only because this lovely beast, it evokes me sex... Im so sorry about this! YSL changed the scent of sweet sweated bodies to bitter tears...
M7 it´s a timeless masterpiece.
P.s.: for me is the dry-down very similiar to Habit rouge edp.

Jason Bogie
Jason Bogie

Well thanks to you fragrance happy chaps educating me on the reformulation issue , I have now found myself an original M7, the only bottle I have ever seen , it was sitting in a chemist in remote Australia. Adding to that I have also recently sourced original rive gauche, Fahrenheit, quorum, balenciaga, lagerfeld, Tuscany, dolce gabana . Yippee.

jotalopez
jotalopez

A masterpiece that was inexplicably discontinued. I don't understand why fragrance houses discontinue heavy hitters like this despite they're great. Are they nuts? This stuff is almost liquid gold. Although the house of YSL has revamped and dubbed it as M7 Oud Absolu, the original M7 should never have been discontinued.

zararbutt
zararbutt

All rounder, Masterpiece. Very dense, confidence booster, tend to shake people around you. Croud would be howering and asking what are you wearing. One of my all time favorite.

jht4060
jht4060

The discontinued Yves Saint Laurent M7 is one of the all time great men's scents (and thankfully the resurrection in the form of M7 Oud Absolu is very similar and equally great). There are touches of dark citrus, rosemary, and vetiver, but the scent is dominated by oud and amber notes. The bitter oud is balanced by a warm ambery sweetness and the synergy of these two produces the addictive M7. It has moderate sillage and persists for days. It is like a drug to my nose. Apparently a few people smell a fruity cough syrup vibe, but for most of us, the lucky ones, this is manna from heaven, a gift from mother earth, heroin for the nose.

Fortunately for those of you who don't have the original, the recent reintroduction M7 Oud Absolu is extremely similar to the original, a claim based on extensive side by side comparisons on my two wrists - I own full bottles of both. Ignore reviews that claim M7 OA is an abhorrence (see my review of M7 OA for more details than you ever wanted to know).

anger_free
anger_free

این ادکلن فوقلعادست ، یکی از خاص ترین رایحه هایی که تاحالا شنیدم ، بر عکس خیلی از ادکلن های دیگه بوش ماندگاری زیادی داره و میتونه زمان زیادی از روز پخش بو داشته باشه ولی متاسفانه تولیدش متوقف شده تا برادر کوچیکش یعنی M7 oud absolu وارد مغازهها بشه

saurabhjodhani
saurabhjodhani

This was my second bottle of fragrance after Davidoff Goodlife back in 2002. Today, I find it as one of the most unique fragrance because nothing comes close. Truely a masterpiece in my collection. Till 2012 I finished almost 80% of my juice of my 100ml bottle and was sad that I would never be able to procure a full bottle after I finish the rest!. But luckily a local fragrance store had around eight 50ml bottles of the old stock out of which I managed to hunt out 3 amber bottles and also bought one semi amber bottle (Batch November 2007). So amassed 200ml of pure class to last a lifetime!.

Experience - This opens on a bitter cherry cough syrup note as most of the people have experienced. The magic starts after the first 20-30 minutes of application. The oud shines for most of the next 3-4 hours with a decent sillage. There is a hint of vetiver and musk too which never overpowers the oud but makes this a very sexy fragrance. After 4 hrs of application I get amber for the rest of its stay.

My dad and I both love this fragrance. Sillage and longevity is good as I can still smell my dad wearing this at the end of the day. Since I have used this fragrance for quiet sometime now I can say that some people do not like this fragrance. I wear this for my own pleasure!. Another point I would like to mention here is that oud in this fragrance is very different as compared to other attar ouds such as Dahn-Al-Oudh etc.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Actually, (old formula) M7 isn't as strong as I expected. It opens as a waxy, cherry-flavored wood...maybe a little reminiscent of the Arabic flavored tobacco they use in hookahs (I've smelled the cherry and strawberry versions). The undercurrent below the topnotes is a good polished wood scent, but I think it gets stifled by the fruit, almost like some kid smashed gummy cherry candies all over your flawlessly-polished hardwood coffee table and you can't scrape it all off. Since I don't know what oud smells like on its own, I must attribute to it the accord that strikes me as a sweeter version of the smell of the gardening section of a Kmart/Walmart/etc. There's always that one sweet earthy medicinal smell that lurks around the topsoil/plant food/pesticide aisle, and I don't know which it comes from, but after months of trying M7 on and off, I finally made the garden aisle connection when I sniff from up close. It's that smell, sweetened just slightly too much, that gets us into the "I'm trying too hard" anise/rootbeer/horehound regime. I always bitch about scents feeling too feminine for me (not that I'm Tarzan or anything), but M7 isn't as bad as I expected in that regard...rather unisex in a good way. But the sweetness of exotic confections and potting soil is just too much for me to carry around with me all day, though it gets more bearable with time; less cherry and garden chemicals, more spices and incense. Maybe in very low doses the base could pass for the residue of potpourri.

I love M7(version 1)!!
It's a very masculine scent, a sensual bomb, aphrodisiac to my nose.
It opens with some citrus notes followed by the union among oud and amber, a binding that hipnotize you, as a kind of drug or potion.
It's perfect for those who doesn't want to be anonymous, and it is the fragrance of elegance, mystery, fascination, and attraction.

The best masculine ever.
If you find the last pieces let's buy them, M7 it's a magnificence.

havardize
havardize

As says my friend: "If you use One Million, Black Xs, 212 VIP and those crap types , do not go near to M7, is too manly for you"
This scent reminds me exactly when i go picking mushroom in Rio Grande do Sul - Brasil heheh. This smell reminds wet and old woods, where are the mushrooms and vetiver in the background.
Very natural and good fragrance, for those who like the woody and oud scents, is a excellent perfume, sorry for reformulation.
Very good Sillage and longevity.

spaniel
spaniel

Fairly monolithic oud, slightly sweet.

Very poor sillage and longevity on me, but does smell great on a friend, so I can't blame the scent.

Not my favourite iteration of oud, and a bit overrated to my nose.

hamednoohi
hamednoohi

had this when i was about 20 which is almost 10 years ago , for me it was a blind buy due to the fact that it had so many great reviews. i was so excited for it to arrive and finally there it was ... instant headache for me i couldnt believe people would actually spray this on themselves so i sure sold it back on ebay after one spray. i havent smelt this recently to see if i may like it now or not the main reason for this review is if you dont like oud be careful , u have been warned.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

Overall rating: * * * *

Bbjr

Good lord, there must be a malfunction in my nose. I've worn this several times and each time I kept getting this cough syrup smell and not much else. It wasn't bad but certainly didn't vault this one into my top 10.
Well, today I sprayed some on and Viola! Nothing but oud, a completely different olfactory experience than all the other sprays. And it's incredible. If this is what I'm going to get from here on out, it's easily a top 5. It smells (today anyways) just like MFK oud which is one of my all time favorite scents. I love this stuff today and I hope it stays that way.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

It starts out musky and deeply, darkly woody. I immediately think agarwood -- agarwood blended with sweeter woods such as sandalwood.

The initial agarwood note is quite realistic. (Agarwood really is that musky and animalic, with hints of composted manure.) However, as the agarwood mellows, a powdery, cherry-laced amber note overtakes it.

Perhaps it's because I'm a girl, with female skin chemistry, but a few minutes after putting M7 on, I feel like I'm wearing some vintage oriental elixir for women, all pouts and powder. It's not bad, but it's not at all masculine.

Perhaps male skin keeps it smelling manly. I should test it on my husband.

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

Oud is never a new scent to us, Malaysian. We call it Kayu Gaharu. (Kayu = wood / Gaharu = Oud)

The scent is strong and it comes from the tree resin. But still I was tempted to own this, and so I bought the 100ml bottle. (The bottle is not all red, the sides and the back is clear except the cap is all red)

I dont get the cherry-cough syprup accord, but I do smell something like oinment but sweet, a subtle sweet camphorous hint in the beginning and it dries down to a really strong, woody scent.

No doubt, the oud is strong and I'd dare say this is seriously powerful. Along with the other notes, like rosemary and amber, it gives this its depth, its bold character and makes this somehow really a 'masculine' fragrance and definitely sexy.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

Opening smells like a dentist's office, drydown smells like pencil shavings or those woodchips you line a rodent cage with. This isn't unpleasant or anything, but I don't understand the fuss over this stuff.

rolls.oud&cigar
rolls.oud&cigar

what can I say after all the positive reviews on this masterpiece ? but I got to thank you M7 and you will be truly missed, yes I got a full bottle but I don't have the guts to wear it, I must get a vintage back up of M7 I cant live without it, I apologize for the wonderful people who want to read a real review yes I know this is not a review, this is a thank you letter to M7, and only M7 lovers know how I feel.

MaxHeadroom
MaxHeadroom

Hello Fall!

This rare 2002 bird displays quite a strange cargo yet it defines color Sinopia, shade of red and brown. Named after the Turkish city it is a reddish-brown ochre-like earth color pigment, also used in traditional oil painting, in fresco or in secco. Sinopia was written in the 15th century in Florence, Italy and described as full of honeyed ambrosia yet lean and dry in character. It projects up well. For the more it is worked up, the finer it becomes. It is good for use in dry autumnal weather. Fresh even to start with, it quickly transforms to calm, serious and mature tune. Phenomenal use of medicinal agar as the side effect, with also prominent orange on top and myrrh and labdanum at its base. Intensely masculine, elegant and sensual. You will need to lit the fireplace, source hand rolled cigars Made in Cuba, and splash for a few bottles of an extra old cognac. Thanks to Morillas/Cavallier. [10]

alisaeed
alisaeed

بعد ربع ساعة من البخ .. يعطي رائحة خشب العود غير المحترق .. رسمي وفواح وثابت ..

عيبه : له اوقات لارتداءه .. ولايصلح خلطه بعطر اخر..
وفي الجو الحار يخرج رائحة متعفنه .
قم بتجربته على الجلد والملابس.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

If you wore this scent today in the Middle East e.g. it could easily get lost in the crowd as the locals tend to wear 'pure' Oud (Agarwood) perfumes, they are extremely strong oils, thick, heavy and heady. In comparison to those M7 is light, fresh and airy. That is just my opinion and experience. In a Western setting however, it will be something exotic and will make you stand out from the crowd. I personally find it very nostalgic as it reminds me of the times I have spent in the Arab world. Whereas real Oud is too strong for me, this is well balanced and blended with mandarin top notes / vetiver basenotes and I do wear it on occasion as it can be very sexual, flamboyant and mysterious in the right setting. Although, the drydown does go very powdery on my skin. Not an everyday scent for me, perfect for an evening in Paris at an authentic Persian restaurant, dressed in an all black suit, something like that... I spend more time sniffing it from the cap, though, than wearing it, just because I am a nostalgic person. Well done to Tom Ford for bridging Eastern and Western perfume styles, and introducing M7 to the world. He started a global trend among fashion houses and designers that is booming today...

hameedbilal
hameedbilal

i got the reform ver...and should say contrary to many reviews...its quite good n unique...
i cant compare with vintage...as i have not tried it
but on its own...the reform is pretty good...
I blind bought a 50ml and i am without regrets

Fahl
Fahl

O recently bought a vintage edition 100 ml bottle. I tested in my forearm. It is very syrup, very sweet, oud and amber.
It lasts 12 hours, even with just 1 spray in my forearm. And projected as a monster!!!
There was a citrus opening, but the syrup oud amber was very noticeable on my skin.
In the dry down I felt an oud and amber mixture , little vetiver. I think this is why people say this is sexy.
It is sweet and different, cause of real strong oud, syrup and amber mixture.
But be careful, is not sexy for every woman.
Some of them said to me that is too strong, that's why , I believe, It was reformulated.
Major part of men just wants to please women, but it is a very different and interesting fragrance.
Different from normal vanilla, coffee, cacao sweet fragrances that we know. It is not that sweet, is a very different sweet, that's why is so wonderful.
Lucky I have one, just for very, very, very, very special ocasions.

oman1234
oman1234

UNIIQUE

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

After reading several reviews I had to see what was so great about this fragrance. I thought that M7 would smell like medicine because of some of the pervious comments so I finally found and bought the original M7.. it had a heavy aroma at first. After you let it settle, its incredible. Knowing that Tom Ford was the master of creating this fragrance, I knew that it would be amazing !!!
From the house YSL, M7 is in a league of it's own, nothing comes close to it. It's an ABSOLUTLE CLASSIC...liquid gold!!!
When I first sprayed on my skin the deep aroma of rosemary, Oud with a touch of bergamot starts off. The aroma of Oud makes this cologne heavenly. The base notes of musk and amber gives this fragrance a warm appeal and makes this cologne sold like a rock. M7 is perfect during the fall through the winter. The note amber also makes this frag incredible on cold days. When it warms up to your body temperature you smell like a million dollar's
Out of all YSL fragrance's.... M7 trumps them all.
Overall, I was so lucky to find the original bottle and I won't trade for anything else.
Longevity is well past 12 hour's
Sillage is excellent
One word sums up this fragrance...MASTERPIECE!!!!!
If you find the original bottle, it's worth it without a doubt!!!!

girasolina
girasolina

thanks to my friends Jicky staff.
This perfume I recovered in an old perfume shop in the center where a very nice grandmother sold me in balance (because they do not produce it anymore).
FantasticooooOOOoooooo
Other than cambodian oud in a vial in the pockets of Gualtieri and his crazy perfumes!
This wonder, search it and hear it. Attention, the original one, not the reformulated.
Superb

TheLumineri

Update since my short review in December:

LOOOOOOOVVVVE! I sometimes just stand in front of my display and sniff the atomizer over and over........and over....it's euphoric...

I've since acquired multiple bottles of the vintage formulation and have fallen in ABSOLUTE LOVE with M7! I now have both formulations and, although I prefer the vintage, I cherish them ALL dearly. M7 OFFICIALLY been declared as my SIGNATURE.....which means I will continue to acquire a stockpile as I need this to last me for the rest of my life! I'm only 28 as of now - and an avid over-sprayer.....which means I will require at least 20 more bottles. :)

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

The legend of M7. Yes it is dark, and yes the top notes smell like cherry cough syrup. But the dry down is very nice. Another quality YSL scent that I enjoy.

Libran
Libran

I own a bottle of M7 and I love it. I keep it all to myself, I love the clean spiciness and really enjoy wearing it. I am a woman of a certain age who likes to be different sometimes! I think it sweetens a little on my skin and last for hours!

samer007
samer007

I have the 2007 reformulated M7, recently acquired:) being middle eastern, agarwood or oud is no stranger to me, and i'm familiar with it's dark sensuous side, but i can imagine how a fragrance like M7 with a heart of oud can be life changing for anyone who hasnt smelled oud.
nevertheless M7 is a refreshing take on it, at least for me. M7 may be dark and heavy, but compared to the oil based oud perfumes in the middle east, it's a light one believe me. It is thick, with a heavy amber base, and a medicinal cherry syrup note that i like. the oud isnt overpowering but rather blends beautifully and enrichens the composition. But i do feel M7 has a dry quality that lacks sparkle, but has a very masculine woody aura with a touch of arabian sensuality, i like:)
4 stars.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

The Vintage M7, I had this gem in my collection in 2004.
Enter a store and felt this powerful aroma, was my first encounter with agarwood / oud, and it was love at first sight.
Introduced in my collection over time using, I noticed a mystical combination with a dark scent, rich, and well by the presence of this famous medicinal wood.
An opening through herbal, I think the presence of green notes and rosemary and then a combination with woody oud, bringing a mix medicinal woody resinous and earthy with a hint of the presence of vetiver.
Amber involves this mix before with musk, bringing an air intensely and somewhat powdery, sweet and semi alcoholic in my nose, sublime!!

Now i have the M7 reformulated, the opening is the same in my nose, the difference is in the drydown, or drying. This scent here, the oud is less intense, this chord medicine is less bitter, less ''syrup'' and appears more amber, giving a touch sweet, almost liqueur, less powdery consequently less intense and powerful, but a little less, both are sensational''

GMK
GMK

I have been wearing many oud based fragrances since long and liked it a lot , but the way oud has been ruined in M7 due to excess of amber its not seen.

I find M7 a cloying , heady and into your face fragrance which can disturb the surroundings if applied at work.

be moderate in application....

silentrich

I own the vintage bottle and it's outstanding. Sexy as hell and unique. Has a bit of sweetness (amber) which mixes with the oud and mandrake root. There are other things going on, but this is really about the slightly medicinal oud note combined with the amber. Don't think twice about buying this, if you see it buy it. 10 out of 10.

ken.z008
ken.z008

When I was 16 years old, I started to go to college. I would wake up in the morning to take a shower and spray a couple of Polo Sport before leaving my house. I would commute to school through open-air, public transportation. The city was over crowding with people and smoke-emmitting public transportation vehicles. The smelt of burning rubber, smoky engine and polluted canals would evaporate all over Manila's soupy heat.

I would witness the dark, gloomy atmosphere created by smoke from heavy traffic, partially covering hot-bright rays of the sun. The heat, humidty, sweat and the pollution of a third world country, is a bitter-sweet recollection.

Another lecture have passed and at 5 o'clock in the afternoon, I was already on my way home--the engine smoke and pollution was still present and more prominent as the rush hour struck in. I could still smell the Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren with dirty animalic and rugged overtone. Or was it the old guy I smell with heavy pomade sitting next to me inside the jeepney?

When my M7(original with 4 ingredients) has arrived, I immediately opened it and sprayed on my wrist. This was what i smelt at the end of the day. Medicinal? Not quite. Pesticide-ic perhaps. Cherry? After her menopause. Smoky? Air pollution from heavy smoke belching vehicles of the third world. Sexy? Old, may grandpa rest in peace. Sex? Poor me. Love? I miss those days. Reminds me of? City pollution, Southeast Asian farmer with sun-burned skin, granny's breath after tobacco session, and granpa's night out.

A man's trash could be another man's treasure. How bittersweet is it?

Excuse my English..I tried...

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Reformulated stuff: I like it! Very nice! And it dries down to a nice, aromatic oud. It doesn't last long, however.

But, problem. I offered my arm hopefully to my wife (without telling her what it is) and she made a stink face: "Yuck! Grandma's house - ashtrays!"

For some reason it appears my wife reads oud scent like ashtrays, which is what happened when I once applied Creed Royal Oud in her presence. A very great pity. (Although she liked the Creed after it thoroughly dried.)

I like this but I still prefer the Creed Royal Oud. It smells richer, more luxurious and less sweet.

-------

Update: Today I obtained a sample of the original "vintage" M7... I do not understand the love for this at all. It is gagging. Too sweet, too medicinal, too much like cherry cough syrup. I haven't disliked the way I smell this much since I tried Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir.

I guess this is one instance where I prefer the reformulated stuff to the original!

Bodda89
Bodda89

I adore it away from the part of Using it in the summer would kill you

shankar1083
shankar1083

Gosssshhhhhhhhhh i got it at last. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL stuff.

gymfreakk

The ultimate SEX scent for real rugged Men who are not afraid of showing off their sexual fantasies...

M7----- I'm glad to have discovered you ....2 THUMBS UP

Kostas_Minimal

Its strange.M7 is on my signatures for ever but i never did a review for this...
Maybe its because when im wearing it,it leaves me SPEECHLESS and in a state of pure bliss...
What to say about M7?The juice reeks of sexyness.Whenever i smell it passionate sex is what im thinking.The absolute elixir.

Scent:10+/10
Longetivity:10/10
Projection:9/10

2002:A LEGEND was born by THE man Tom Ford.
Thank you...

pontifex maximus
pontifex maximus

bought this when it cane out. I still have the vintage formulation and i don't believe the hype. I did a back-to-back with Devin by Aramis. On my skin they share the same vibe, Devin is dirtier and somewhat fresher.

Senzadite

Im trading a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme(The 2003 square heavy bottle discontinued) for a bottle of M7 please contact me if interested.

Bbjr

Have not had the pleasure of the original but this fragrance is very nice. Only one problem, there is zippo longevity. It's gone in an hour on me. I love the initial blast and the dry down is nice as well, just goes away way too fast. I guess that's why everyone is screaming for the original.

gymfreakk

I own the very vintage bottle ( all brown on the sides with 3 fragrance ingredients only) , the formulated one and the reformulated one..... M7 is THE ultimate Male Perfume one must have.... I adore the sex appeal which emerges from it while wearing it , how the agarwood plays its seductive tricks with the other notes... OMG... that thing is indeed a monster which you wana discover fearlessly.

NB: It's the only and i repeat ONLY perfume that i like and wear from YSL. !!!! surprisingly so!

christmasinjanuary
christmasinjanuary

Love to share hard to find stuff cause its just good karma.....if anyone lives near Toronto, Ontario.....there is a big mall on the outskirts called Vaughn Mills....there is a store there called Enchante and I bought a backup box of the original....four ingredients om the back.....sealed box of M7 for $65

Linden
Linden

When first released, M7 didn't make an imact on me, the way it has on many others. I decided to seek it out to experience again. Found an original-release bottle and sadly, I still can't say I'm entranced by it. I was quite curious about the "oud dust" some mention, and yes, there are visible particles floating in it. The mildy bitter-sweet citrus opening, the dry, warm wood and soft amber; pleasant yes, but not revolutionary. The whisper of oud is somehow hidden by the musk in the base I find. I don't get much of the medicinal vibe associated with it, just a soft astringent resinous quality. Glad to have re-visited it; nice heavy woody-amber scent, although not exceptionally masculine IMO, more unisex.

east17
east17

I keep telling myself that it must be hard to have completely unrefined tastes in fragrances when you have a nose for M7. Now I've got my bottle of the original formula to somewhat legitimize my collection :)

lovesupreme

Smells amazingly resinous, dark and woody, with a faint bergamot heart and soft amber drydown (well into 8 hours after initial application)M7 was not a big seller when it was first released and was very much ahead of its time, Yves Saint Laurent should have the foresight to release this exact formulation now given the "oud craze" in the perfume industry, But NO - they released a very poor flanker named M7 oud absolu, which smells very synthetic and cheap. 8/10 for M7 Original Formulation 4/10 for M7 Oud Absolu.

eric.cius
eric.cius

I've missed this one in it's original run but was able to come across and original bottle at $55 for a 50ml, sealed, absolutely authentic.
On fisrt spray it is HEAVY. I get a "petrol" smell in there and yes the cherry cough syrup. But what happens in the next 20minutes and the the following 10+ hours after is just amazing.
I'm definitely returning to grab some back up bottles.
In my top 5 for sure.

herreroph
herreroph

Ayer recibi unos samples y puedo decir que es fantastica, potente y atractiva, muy sexy, me gusta mas que Tom Ford Amber Absolute, mas suave y dulce.
aunque soy de la opinion que esta sobrevalorado, es bueno si, pero no el mejor.
9/10 lo siento un poco suave, al menos en mi piel no irradia tanto como dicen

N'Escape
N'Escape

This is pure passion in a bottle!
Anyone who didn't/don't love this, I bet you found some cheap copy when you tried it on.
Anytime I've had it on people ask me what I'm wearing.
Just three days ago a man who was sitting close to me in a club stopped me as I was on my way to have a cigarette and said: "Excuse me, could you spare a moment? My wife would like to ask you a question." The wife: "I've been sitting here just intoxicated by your smell and now I have to ask you, what are you wearing?"
I sincerely hope that M7 will return in its original perfection one day...to stay. Darkness will fall upon the face of the earth if it don't.

GS_K
GS_K

I owned a bottle when it first come out, in 2002, and while I enjoyed it a lot I can't understand the hype.
IT'S SYNTHETIC OUD and many so called perfume experts don't understand this?????

Great and magic 5/5

cookiedais

Speaking from a female perspective I absolutely adore this fragrance , an ex of mine used to wear this and I couldn't get enough of it on him . It is dark & woodsy with a hint of black cherry . I'm disappointed that this original version has been discontinued as I have found that most reformulated versions are not a patch on the original .

dollastx
dollastx

All I can say is, Amazing!
10/10 all across the board. Get your hands on it and don't let it go from your collection.

danielresendem
danielresendem

Longevity and projection is amazing !! But the scent give me headaches and nauseas.. Smell like a talc with campari drink..

Longevity 10/10
projection 10/10
Sillage 10/10
Scent 2/10

That's unconfortable to use for me.

Miss you BADLY M7
You are the most sensual and sexy frag.I feel like a "nothing" without you

steve0580
steve0580

Well, I finally got my bottle of M7, which I had to order online and it wasn't cheap by any means.

It's a 1.6 oz bottle and it came sealed. They said it was an original and based on what I've read here, I have to think that it is as well. The entire bottle is brown.

Now, after all of the hype, I have to say that I was fully expecting to be disappointed. I'm not. This stuff is wonderful.

Some have said there was a cherry cough syrup smell to it but I don't pick that up at all. It's a very smooth, mellow and sensual kind of smell. For me, it radiates close to my skin.

Since I have so little of it, I'm going to have to reserve it for special occasions.

dito
dito

I'm lucky cause i got old formulation bottle of this potion and today was the first time i smelled this one. YSL M7 easily blows most of the niche out of the water. Dark, sensual, mysterious oud and amber notes create "filthy luxury life" aura. This fragrance is like unrestrained wild animal... elemental force...
You can't judge it by regular bases like longevity, projection (though both are enormous). It's all about how this cologne makes you feel. And when I wear this one I feel like I'm gonna do something really bad..:)
Kilian's Arabian nights? Black Afgano? Montales? forget about these... this is the real king of oud.

P.S. I have another almost full vintage bottle for sale. If anyone in Europe is interested, PM me.

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

Do you hear that? .......... Yup you're right - silence. I am rendered speechless. AND Im a girl. I was very lucky to have this years ago, and still have a good 50%. As I said in another review I kiss the bottle goodnight. It has to be the best scent ever. Nothing NUH-THIN matches it.. Oh Im such a fan, Im such a slave to it... please help.

Government health warning - don't ever approach me wearing this, I will sniff it out and go wild. (as does every girl Ive ever asked, regarding their reaction)

Online it is said that Amouage/creed etc are the true 'women melters' OH PUHLEASE! They dont even reach the dizzy heights of this! This is an ultra planet, the holy grail, the elixir... wheres my xanax...

aucffan1
aucffan1

If anyone has a bottle of this and doesn't use it please send me a personal message with an email addy and I'll get with you about it.... I would like to either trade or buy it from you..

I live in the USA..

TheLumineri

Just received this bad boy in the mail (1st reformulation)...1 spray to the back of my hand...not sure how I felt at first sniff...kinda mediciney with nature mixed in...kinda teetered in and out of disgust actually.......BUT then the drydown came into play...I could definitely dig it!

So far it's been about 2 hrs...at this stage, I understand the rave reviews. Pretty exquisite stuff!

benpitt
benpitt

I miss you M7

wbp
wbp

That thing is just like a viagra for women :)you know what i mean ;) I love it!!!

fuggerone
fuggerone

when oud wasn't in this scent paved the way, the cough syrup note is extremely cool, the absolute version is somewhat richer,this is a love or hate scent, I love it and it's a piece of hystory in every sense!

djinndc
djinndc

Ah ye omnipotent nepenthe from night's plutonian shore. An elixir that would lure tenfold succubi in midsts of every nocturne. Such begrimed smoldering essence adding semblance, tone, and temperament which will create a definitive distinctive individual upon application!

An aura of unmitigated tenacity indubitably. Thou hast abducted thine entity to it's psyche. Captivating, enthralling, bewitching aphrodisiac herein.

I shall desire to adorn thee with apotheosis!

Rating: 10/10 ♥♥♥♥♥
Hot Steamy Sig scent!!

P.S. YSL, (L'oreal) We're waiting for a Cinema Pour Homme!

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

M7 doesn't smell like sex in a bottle and it isn't so over-the-top masculine that the right, confident woman couldn't wear it. In fact, I encourage women to try this. What M7 is, is a beautiful incense scent, that's so well rounded and intriguing that you will want to keep smelling your wrists and everybody (men & women) will definitely ask you what you're wearing. It's in the vein of Balsamo Della Mecca, which is an all natural incense scent, which I sometimes layer M7 with. However, the BDM is so full of natural materials that it highlights how synthetic M7 is in contrast. With that said, it doesn make M7 any less beautiful.

missan

I don´t have this one in my favorite list, I don´t know why, because I think the original M7 is most likely the best I have. Maybe it stands above critic and likings, it just is M7, the pinnacle of Tom Ford.

paul.trollson
paul.trollson

Modern masculine. That sums up what I think about this.
It's resinous, it's earthy, it's woody.
Just imagine a forest of rich, dry, ancient woods. No greenery can be smelt. Instead there is only the woods and the sheer wonder of it all.
On your way out you can smell something else, an elusive medicinal smell. Kind of like a damp earthy mould. It intrigued you with it's mystic and masculine scent.

LanceDior

Pretty much the best thing I have ever smelled on this earth. I sprayed two sprays in my bedroom and my sister at the other end of the house said 'nice perfume!', a mate of mine smelled this on me from about eight metres away (hours into its lifespan) and said 'your cologne is pure badass' and I received the best compliment ever from a sexy girl after she buried her face in my neck, 'f**k me now, and again tomorrow, just so I can smell that again.' nuff said.

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

Smells like a dirty man, but irresistibly sexy!
The oud really is the dominant scent with a hint of syrupy sweet, more to a cherry cough syrup I'd say.

I have the vintage manufactured in 2002 (bought in 2002) and another bottle manufactured in 2008 (bought this year, 2012). I find that both 2002 and 2008 are somehow similar, even IF the 2008 is a reformulated one, still the lasting power is extremely great! One to two sprays would be enough to make you smell damn sexy!

Havent tried the current one, M7 La Collection Oud Absolu. I bet the smells +- is the same. Or almost similar.

gray09
gray09

I love this fragrance! I have the reformulated (only one side of the bottle is brown) and the original versions (the entire bottle is brown) and on the original box only 4 ingredients are listed, the reformulated there are about 16. I sprayed each one on the back of my hands to compare. The opening that many people have described as cherry cough syrup is exactly the same for both versions. This quickly subsides within a few minutes. A this point there is a major difference that emerges between the two. First off the original is a lot stronger. The beautiful oud and amber come out really strong, whereas the reformulated version is generally about 25% weaker and the amber note dominates with at lot less of the mystical natural medicinal oud that makes M7 so rich and complex. The reformulated is a stripped down version which is ironic because it has so many more ingredients than the original. It's like comparing a sharp pencil to a dull one. Perhaps in the reformulated version the oud is cut down.. not sure?. After about 15 mins if I smell my hand with the original first and then the reform I can hardly smell the reformulated on the other hand. But when I wait a few minutes and smell the reform first I can smell the amber and a little oud. It's so much duller, flatter and not nearly as complex as the original. It loses that medicinal quality that makes the orig so rich and outstanding.

In all other aspects the original lasts longer, has more projection and not as much needs to be applied.

PS I consider M7 a winter fragrance. I don't get why some people would not wear this to work or anywhere else for that matter. It is strong but not offensive. A woman at work commented the other day "You smell amazing you're affecting my pheromones" What's wrong with that!

I have not tried the new M7 oud absolu. If anyone has please let me know if it's comparable the the amazing M7.

flkirkland
flkirkland

Don't know how to explain this one the right way - it's raw and sexy, refined and classy. Pardon my graphic explanation here - but it smells like a smoky campfire, old dusty books, left-over musk (from a carnal encounter). It's... nasty - and I LOVE it!!

RAG1987
RAG1987

I just bought this (the original) for a good price on ebay. I received it today and I love it, It is very long lasting and very strong but for some reason I do not find it to be as woody as expected. I personally find Fahrenheit absolute to be woodier and thicker (Woody floral musk) but M7 just has something about it that makes it very unique, this has a sweet medicinal blast from the start and dries down to a perfect woody oriental. Got to love it. Don't understand where the comments about this being unwearable and it being a divorce scent or a mad man scent have come from though... It's only a fragrance and a very good one at that. Why the original was discontinued is a mystery, don't think I will ever venture near the reformulation tbh. I will savour this bottle and make it last!

Sanskilainen
Sanskilainen

They say it is not a scent for women, but that it attracts women. I love it on my guy, but I was the one to buy it for myself! Fantastic oud fragrance that will positively knock you out. It lingers, is sexy and warm, earthy and profound. I will have this one with me always.

mrfume
mrfume

Owning a bottle of this is like owning a lil peice of history,the first time i sniffed this juice,the first word that came to my mind was royal,then i smelled YSL L'homme and bought the latter instead,moment i reached home i realized that this journey is not going to be complete with out the royal oud and promptly returned to the store THE NEXT DAY and bought this divine juice To me this is a great scent that has a lot of character and opulence to it,Winter is the time to let this beast out surely this is not a teenage scent .Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas under the creative direction of MR FORD would only give us AWESOME:D I personally take it out on grand occasions or maybe a nice walk in the winters NUFF SAID. long lasting great projection and stock up lovers of this elixir .

8*/10*

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

Believe me its just a hype of this scent. i was so curious to check this. i tested this on ma wrist. did not find any thing magnificent instead a strong antibiotic medicine. Its a plan scent without anything modifying....Not for me..

LanceDior

This scent lingers even in my nightmares and my girlfriend's daydreams

jBoozy711
jBoozy711

i already have the reformulated one, it is good, But i dont know why sometimes i think it could Be Betta
in my experience with YSL reformulations, they are no good

jazz reformulation was very close to the preformulated (not the Black and white Bottle, i mean the transparent one But Before the most current formulation), at the dry down is nothing expectacular, actually at the very Basenotes when the frag aBout to die, it has kind of a rancid viBe, i dont think that was made intentionally, mayBe just lack of quality ingredients, and if it was intentional,im not really diggin it.

kouros reformulation with the white shoulder and Bottom, it is just a soapy scent which a i now consider dated, and only suitaBle for old men, i never say that, theres a lot of interesting things in what they call the "old men" cologne world, and i like a few of those.
in the reformulation of kouros all of the dirtyness , part of herBalness and the most interesting side of the frag was removed. and to me that was what gives this fragrance its power, youngness, vitality, strenght and all those things that make you feel real confident where you are wearing it.

thats why im thinking vintage m7 might Be an interesting thing, really need to try, i've already ordereda 5ml , so very soon i will Be editing this post and let you know my opinion.

i've only smelled the reformulated, But comparison to Black afgano i find it Bold, Both are woody fragrances, Black afgano aromatic and m7 oriental, i think the sweet vanillic Balsamic notes of m7 take the fragrance in a different direction, But i get where you they are coming from with the comparison, Both are strong thick woody fragrances with a lot of character and Boldness, Both unique and manly, Black afgano stays that way for the whole life of the fragrance, and m7 sweetens up and get smoother in the dry down, after going hard at the top, then dry down and i personally get a lipstick viBe, so then this fragrances its in a different context, more seductive, while Black Afgano its actuallly harder, tough, it sweetens up just a little Bit, just enuf; its too much of a thug to show femenine traits, its sweetens just enuff, to not Be an animal instead of a man, and Be aBle to know how to threat a lady, its sensitive But always hard-faced, furrowed Brow, standing straight, soulja'd up, does not try to hard to score, But he does score, i think this is why it is so overpriced, who understand this, will pay a lot to have that kind of fragrance, i wasnt very impressed first time i tried Black afgano, now after several wearings i understand the fragrance in a different way, projection and longevity its ridicoulous, after 8 hours still strong and going, i also enjoy m7 a lot 'tho, it is a a unique fragrance.

other fragrances related to m7 are dirty english and gucci I.

dirty english its str8 Bad Boy, woody spicy, its all aBout fun with him , and sometimes in a dangerous way that can get you in trouBle, it is not a mature fragrance, it is an immature fragrance actually, in the whole meaning of the word.

while PH I, is a strong man , mature, more of a grown up, formal dressed, cultured, and with a lot of character and confidence, and thats where m7 differs, m7 is a strong guy, and he is actually a wolf hiden in a lamB facade, its Bold, charismatic, smiley, warm, rich, wealthy, gentleman and a seducer with a unique and kind of exotic style who will do what it takes to impress a girl and make him of his possesion, i've yet to met a fragrance with all of the characteristics that m7 has, man i personally enjoy all of these fragrances, and use them for different ocassions, different purposes, it would Be interesting to one day get the oportunity to smell an oriental woody fragrance with strong cannaBis notes and sweet vanillic, cocoa, ylang ylang, Balsamic, aphrodisiac notes in the Basenotes.

sandipraykar
sandipraykar

My favorite men's fragrance ever. It smells like history. No longer
sold in stores, but available online.

darlosu
darlosu

Longevity - 10/10
Sillage - 10/10
Scent - 8/10

Chanel Man
Chanel Man

M7 is an absolute masterpiece. Perfect.

lovesupreme

This will not hit you with a BOMB - throw you off your window, its not a freakin mad man cologne - well it can be if you were living in the mid-western states for the last two decade or so - if you are used to orientals like most mature consumers, welcome to the world of exquisite and exotic perfumery, well - this is just a tip of the iceberg - theres not much oud here, but yes its there (blended with frankincense) it is a nice partially medicinal-oriental spicy masterpiece! - I was lucky to find a 50ml pre formulated juice and the M7 FRESH Flanker, Oud Absolu (the newest version) nowhere compares to the original.

khalid_shehab
khalid_shehab

1. Put a man in a blender.
2. squeeze.
3. add alcohol.
M7 formula .

reinhard5490
reinhard5490

some people said as far as "Sex in the Bottle" oh well...

this review about the pre-reformulation
this perfume is one of the legend from the house of YSL. the captivating exoticism of Oud combined with sweet opening which is more than just masculine. its sexy masculine kind of fragrance. the scent is astonishingly seductive not just to the lady who sniff it in your chest, but also to yourself. M7 doesnt makes you feels that the girls love you, this perfume makes you loves yourself. the intimate feeling that come from the warmth of the oud and the tenderly sexy sweet oud that makes it feels... divine

the sillage and longevity need no question, when you wear M7, you'll definitely attracts attention. this is not for boys who still prefer AdG, this is for grown up men who really know to appreciate the warmth of this fragrance altogether with the sweet sexy notes. M7 is not for the faint heart, for sure. get this when you're going to pleasure yourself in the glory of sense of self-achievement

LanceDior

Just sayin... This one is totally definitely no Le Male or Joop! Homme. As a high schooler the acceptable thing (maybe not so definitely in australia) is to wear sweet, feminie colgones. Growing tired of this, me and my friend went out and invested in Antaeus of me, and Kouros for him. That was my signature scent until I found M7. MERCY! This stuff has a sweet opening but turns into something manly and godlike. Amazing.

word-doctor
word-doctor

INITIAL REVIEW: I picked this up because I'm looking for a more reasonable ($$ and Occidental) version of Amouage Tribute. I do not get nearly the oud that I get from Arabic oils, and in fact feel a bit underwhelmed by its lack of presence. I get the mandarin initially, then a foody blast, then the oud. Reminds me a bit of Minotaur.

EDIT: Not quite sure about this one. It's a viable version of an oud, but maybe tamed a bit too much for me. Would be better in cooler weather. Yet my wife likes it. Will try some other westerns first.
Sillage: 7/10

Gyallar
Gyallar

When I was a child once I got a infection and went to the hospital and took a very strong antibiotic. This antibiotic is the first thing I remember when I smell this scent. However, in the drydown it becomes fantastic and magik, like all the wounds of my soul being healled for M7.

oilizer
oilizer

I first tried M7 when I was at el Corte Ingles in Madrid. It for some reason reminded me of botafumiero incense and wanted to get it on returning to the US. Unfortunately I forgot if it was Body Kouros (another I tried at the time and did not like) or M7 but saw incense as BK's ingredient and bought that. My God what a mistake (and I can't return BK since I bought it on ebay). I got M7 sample from Surrender to Chance and this was it!

EDIT - After few more tries, I didn't agree with what I wrote before so I'm revisioning it. This scent plays trick on me. When I have it on the creases of elbows, I get ~10 mins of distinct citrus, followed by distinct rosemary, which I don't remember smelling when I only applied to wrists. On wrist, I don't have much of the citrus/rosemary opening and it immediately goes to to medicinal dry smoky dark cedar wood. As the medicinal vibe lessens a bit I get a touch of warm sweet amber and musk. The dry wood becomes more rounded and earthy with vetiver peaking through. The initial/mid medicinal gives me bit of headache if I sniff it too much but the dry down is softer and more tolerable.

I love this scent for what it is as well as the fact it reminds me of my Camino de Santiago. The dark bleak appearing cathedrals of Astria and Galicia filled with warm-hearted natives. Funny how most people relate this to sex and describe it as dirty. Well, dirty maybe but more mature than slutty. It's a simplistic but mysterious, reserved but influential, mature but not old scent. A perfect fall or cool evening scent.

emmanuel.santana
emmanuel.santana

I was finally able to get my hands on a bottle of this masterpiece, and I still can't believe how amazing it smells. I was a blind buy for me, I read all the reviews and it was enough for me to buy it. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS IN YOUR COLLECTION, YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR MIND.

10/10 ALL AROUND IN MY OPINION

GugaGaidzak
GugaGaidzak

This is Hardcore Sex in a bottle!!! Its Sweaty, Its Dirty, Its Intoxicating.... Its so damn nasty.....I wouldn't be surprised to know that this one has pheromones on it.

Leccamastice
Leccamastice

This makes me feel like i'm protected by Susanoo

mystica

The fragrance having the sexiest ad ever, and the smell does match with the image reflected in the ad. Terribly sexy, yet at the same time cosy and cuddly, loveable. I can certainly see the model wearing such a perfume. And who doesn't want his men to smell like M7!

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

A sweet cherry cough syrup opening with oud dry down. Very unique, and serious collectors will appreciate this. The average person, probably not so much. This take patience to learn to enjoy, but overall I like it.

It's a shame it was discontinued.

dromidreza
dromidreza

..شاید من تنها آدمی باشم در دنیا که خیلی ازین عطر خوشش نمیاد.! نمیدونم چرا خریدم!همان وقت هم شک داشتم.نمیتونم با بوی اون رابطه برقرار کنم.حالا که نمونه جدیدش اومده به این کار میگم آفرین!

Smyle12
Smyle12

It smells like sex, just in a bottle. That's all. Yes, there is so much more, but that's all that you, dear reader, need to understand here. There's nothing else quite like vintage M7, and it lasts for DAYS. I'd go into more detail, but, honestly what's the point? The above sums it up neatly and concisely. This fragrance is not for a prude and it is a masterpiece. If you can't at least "appreciate" this fragrance is in some way, shape, or form, you are also more than likely a virgin, and for that, I am truly sorry. :(

Blaze00
Blaze00

I purchased this fragrance blind buy from the web and recieved it 2 days ago : a beautiful surprise ! The opening is 'oh my god' cherry-heavy wood-sweet-amberish opening. It's like a blast of emotions ! After that, the fragrance 'calm down' and the oud takes place, followed by the amber. Let me tell you something, the dry down is magical, it's a story on its own. If you keep smelling your wrist, the smell will evolve each hour. At the end, i smelled an amber with a sweet vanilla (like Tom ford - amber absolute but not the same power and intensity of course).

My only regret is I don't have the powerful sillage i was expecting for (maybe because i am always smelling my wrist haha !)

However, this is the best purchase i made so far.

katariina9
katariina9

Simply The Sexiest perfume for men I have ever come across with... that should pretty much say it all.

jgirgar
jgirgar

For starters I decided not to read the reviews below prior to writing mine. I have a strange feeling that the bottle I got back in the fall may be an imposter. I find it bizzare the bottle has one "painted" side. Otherwise the bottle seems like it's constructed the same as the older/original ones. I remember this when it came out and I could smell this wafting around from other people in public. Rarely do I really smell great fragrances on people other than popular mainstream aquatics (hence, nasty for the most part).

I will say that the version I got is actually quite nice. Takes a few extra sprays to get the effect of the original recipe but does quite well and I don't get that tummy ache feeling I used to get from wearing this several years ago. I shouldn't complain really, but there's the principal of the matter that I want an authentic fragrance, not a basement factory knockoff. The oud is still oud and for some reason I get a hint of blueberry in both the old and current versions. And the bath gel made me weak in the knees and how I wished the fragrance itself smelled like that!! Still great though. JG 051612

Rating: 8/10, for the 'real' stuff 10/10

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

This is a very active fragrance, as if to say the notes have ADHD... or simply get along very well. When they calm, there's a Black Orchid vibe. In the sense that the two come off warm, spicy, balmy and almost obnoxious. When I think of Black Orchid, a clean shave and a suit comes to mind. When I think of M7... stubble, a blazer and jeans immediately surfaces to mind. M7 is far more rugged with a masculine feel.

Smoked oud and vetiver, laced with dry spices and amber. Rough yet smooth, if that makes any sense at all. Discontinued? What the hell for? You ever wonder why the best ones get voted off? This industry is rigged like reality TV.

moynah
moynah

Dirty dirty dirty lil monster is this.
Comforting warm, woodsy, but woodsy like no other
There is absolutely a blast of sweet in there somewhere for me, heated fruit, like a warm puree.. but not at all feminine. Im such an Oud fan I even wear this myself but cocktail with Hermes Ambre Naguile, to soften the 'steel' into 'silk' so I don't attract Le Femme!
I feel IMHO, I have to give the gold medal to the new YSL M7 Oud Absolu...I like things a little more intense, smokey and deep .. but the Amber bottle M7 I own gets a very close second, almost at a photo finish

jrichart
jrichart

En una frase ''Orientalismo y Calidez en un frasco'' esta es la mejor definición a modo de compendio de esta exótica y gran fragancia que es M7 de Yves Saint Laurent. M7 es un homenaje a la tan codiciada y a la vez escasa madera de oud, es una de las pocas fragancias designer(diseñador) que contienen esta rara matería prima en una concentración más o menos elevada. M7 la probe por primera vez a mis catorce años aprox y me embriagó de tal manera que me dejó muy marcado ese día que la probé, esto sería debido a la madera de oud que le da a M7 una paleta de emociones que pocos perfumes ofrecen, emociones y sensaciones de una meditación en un templo indio, estar ante los pies de una Pagoda, etc. Como verán todo emociones y sensaciones orientalistas o de clara tendencia hacia este punto. En resumen, este oriental amaderado que es M7 es un gran perfume e incluso obra maestra por varías razones. Primera, es uno de los pocos perfumes no niche que contienen la madera oud en una concentración bastante elevada, Segunda, es uno de los absolutos referenciales en lo que debe ser o es un perfume oriental en todo el sentido de la palabra y Tercera y última razón, es un perfume que pese a haber sido lanzado en el 2002 no es un perfume generalista sino que ha marcado una tendencia y un punto de inflexión en el mundo de la perfumería. De nuevo, un perfume de amor u odio como pueden ser la trilogía de los grandes perfumes masculinos de Yves Saint Laurent Kouros, Opium y Rive Gauche pero que quien lo aprecie encontrará un perfume misterioso y ajeno a las modas.

chicosuave
chicosuave

This scent is amazing. very rich and sexy. Wish I bought xtra bottles when the orig was out.

JohnMc

UPDATE: I was skeptical as to the cries that M7 had been reformulated. I have a bottle of the original (gorgeous, modernist burnt orange/brown flanker in shape of a cigarette lighter). Unfortunately, upon trying a tester packaged in the new square/black bottle recently released, I was astounded to experience what can only be described as a a diluted version. For some, this might suffice (fair enough), however, to those of us - myself included, who love the sheer depth and strength of the original, it was a real disappointment! Safe to say, I have ordered a bottle of the old stuff, just to be safe.

Original: Heaven in a bottle

New version: Heaven light.

del
del

This review is for the original/vintage formulation. (brown/dark red bottle)

M7 is rich and heavy. Somehow, the combination of smoky and slightly syrupy scent gives the wearer a "deep and mysterious" manly aura.

I never had a fragrance that features Agarwood/Oud note until this vintage M7, so I have no other point of comparison. If this is how Oud smells like, then I guess I like it. The pyramid also shows vetiver note which I am not a fan of; fortunately, I'm not getting a lot of it. Maybe it is subtly, well-blended with the Oud.

M7 is extremely long-lasting on my skin -- more than 12 hours after the application, there's a noticeable powdery sweetness wafting from my skin.

Will I wear it during daytime? With my conservative physique in the midst of a young crowd, I need to be bold and confident to be able to wear the dark quality and unique aroma of M7. Otherwise, I would appear/smell like someone who is trying too hard.

tomerits
tomerits

another masterpiece from YSL.modern classic that suitable for winter time (day or night) so happy to own this juice(vintage).love it.
my rank 5/5.

kittykatcris
kittykatcris

Wow - this is glorius stuff!! I absolutely love it on my husband - it's really masculine but not your usual, run of the mill men's fragrance. For me, there is no other men's fragrance can hold a candle to this. It's rich, dark and opulent. The initial blast is quite green, but a deep, potent, woodsy green. I don't normally like green notes but this is just wonderful. It's enticing and interweaves with mature ripened orange, revealing a plummy note which yields the slightest hint of sweetness. The Oud is strong but is so finely blended that I don't get any 'medicinal note' as is often the case with other oud based fragrances. When it's settled, it becomes smoky, luxuriant and creamy. It's base is spicy and a little peppery - just enough to give a little sexy 'cheeky nudge'. This is just so sensual - I could bathe in it. I adore men who smell great, but this is just irresistible - good job then my husband has a bottle of this elixir.....I would definitely follow a man who smelled this good!!

PS - This review is for the original formulation in the dark amber bottle.

goofynose
goofynose

I like the first sniff, very green and unique. But it settles down to something very powdery and dusty.

I had Dior Fahrenheit sprayed on the other hand. After smelling M7, I had to sniff the Fahrenheit to find peace.

I think I am not big on powdery perfumes. M7 is just a bit too loud for my taste.

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

All I can say is Penis....I don't mind looking @ it but why did they feel it was necessary in the ad?!...

well nvm after reading this review...
"Sexy, dirty, wet. Such a bed scent!"
Now I see...

swalibar
swalibar

Did not like this at all. Upon application, I got the sense that I put out a campfire by rolling around in it and it stuck around like a tattoo. I like YSL a lot,just not this one.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

This used to be good but not anymore. The old one had a bottle of interesting design (although not of the best manufacturing quality) and the fragrance itself was a bit edgy-medicinal making it stand oud/t from the rest. Ofcourse upon closer inspection the oud would prove to be synthetic and the overall impression was a bit flat. No real animal in the bottle i'm afraid but still more than a decent buy for the price. The new one is pure dissapointment for me but I expect it to sell better than the old provided the horrible bottle doesn't scare people away. Who on earth thought spray painting a glass bottle and attaching an ugly piece of plastic on top is classy? The corpse of the fragrance's original idea is now floating in a sea of vanillin.

VanBlack
VanBlack

So sweet, powdery, incensey, MONSTER sillage and longevity (14+), definitely my best blind buy ever. BUT... it is not a safe scent to blind buy !! IMO.
It is Beauty And The Beast in a bottle !! I Adore it !

1st0m1n
1st0m1n

vasilisc, very durably fragrance. The order of 12-16 hours, it is clearly audible on the skin.
On the contrary perceive this scent exclusively male, despite the abundance of amber in the base.

drmath123
drmath123

I have both vintage and reformulated versions of this Masterpiece. Both smell EXACTLY the same for the 1st hour. After that the reformulated M7 looses it strength, much faster that the vintage juice. I would say the vintage formula is about 25-30 percent stronger. I like both versions. I use the reformulated one during summer season since it's less concentrated.

krmarich
krmarich

M7 was lost in the 21st century. It offered something totally unique to the market-Oud. What was this strange exotic wood? Would I like it? Where would I find it? On e-bay, in 2007 of course! Its Tom Fords provocative launch for male YSL fans. The add was controversial-one of YSLs selling points.

It was not on store shelves in the USA at all to sample. It had its own website for a time. Yes, I ordered it unsniffed and was not disappointed. The bottle looks like a cigarette lighter(does anybody use them anymore?)The contents are lavish, exotic and charted new territory in the perfume world. Its smokey, thick, ambery with oud throughout the compostion.

It works best in cold weather and can be cloying in the heat(cough syrup?). Other wise it is as a sexy "come closer and snuggle" bait. A worthy addition to the line. If you can find it, buy it ASAP.

MrMookie
MrMookie

I sniffed alot when i got a tester a week ago. i applied it every day and i sniffed many times to get familiar with it.
In my opinion its a unique scent and very well balanced.
Its rebottled in a smaller wider black bottle (like all ysl bottles got a uniform bottle this year where did the identity go??) its deep and medicinal like all others say i must admit it smells like a sweet doctors waiting room.
its spicey and sweet deep n balmy. but overall i dont want to have this on my body?!! im not feeling comfortable wearing it at all.
I like the scent but not on me.
too bad for me but im not the kinda guy i guess...

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

M7 is thick, dark, powerful, syrupy, and rich fragrance.
It is one of the most powerful woody fragrances out there but the woods in it are not typical rather unique and first of their own kind. Oud or agarwood which is the prime note in it is a derivative of arabian woods and eastern fragrances prevailing in the arab world for centuries. But the same fragrance is exploited to west by M7. It can be comparable to Gucci PH not for its perfume but for its genre of heavy woody notes. Both the popular fragrances maybe new for the west but too old for the muslims of the east. Its a holy fragrance reminiscent of Good old times of Arabs and their rulings.

Anyhow; M7 is strictly masculine and smells like an absolute luxury of Dates, Camels, Red carpets, Horses, Desert's Oasis, beautiful belly dancers and Jewels.

Bottle and packaging is great really complimenting the fragrance.
Strong projection and amazing longevity.

I give it 8.7 out of 10.

Kharnak

it smells... the way the bottle "Looks", as i often say.
This is a unique Masterpiece. Another powerhouse Guy cologne.
Agarwood is the first prime note, which is this curiously spicy wood smell, rather than the common Lemon, M7 is more Orange based. Woody Vetiver Musk. careful not to overuse it, it projects a lot farther than you realize. Not for work, because some people find it odd.
As i commented earlier, some say it does smell like chinese Duck Sauce or medicinal like antiseptic.
It tends to be costly, but totally worth it, and i hope to get more soon.

FRAGRANCEZ
FRAGRANCEZ

very nice scent ,especially the drydown.Very good longevity and projection..

missan

Found two 100ml testers with original formulation at a very good price. Wonderful, now I don´t have to use it so sparingly.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

Smoky, spicy ,ambery.
I was shoked by that orangy opening ,it's safe in the first seconds before oud and AMBER join in,amber give the powdery little sweet background.
It's unique for sure but it's too mature and vintage,i would imagine 45+ man wearing it.
Hard to wear IMO and not that pleasant smell.
Thumbs up on longevity and projection.
When people ask u what r u wearing i 'm thinking that for this perfumes they just asking because it's too weird and loud,not because they liked it.
But this still my personel opinion ,some people adore it .

elderflowers
elderflowers

Ooooh, Matron! This opens with a cherry linctus/disinfectant opening that’s probably created by the interaction of rosemary and sweet citrus, and is suitable for sexpot medics of any persuasion. M7 really isn’t the raging, unregenerate oudh-beast of legend, and it features a blend of sweet, spiced amber and mild smoky vetiver that lingers for days, not hours. I wouldn’t say it’s unduly manly, despite fond memories of an ad featuring as much male beauty as any mainstream ad can manage. Women can wear M7, and quite a number do, including me. This stuff is quirky, but it’s not Kouros.

Man or woman, M7 is likely to become the scent version of the Very Special Outfit you don once or twice a year. It’s bracingly medicinal yet blatantly luxurious, and to my Western sensibilities, it’s pretty specialised for use at an unconventional soiree in a cool climate. If I was going to see a top stage magician in an underground club, in the middle of a deep-frozen January, I’d definitely wear M7. My mind runs riot imagining the life of someone who’d reach for M7 on a daily basis.

Picture a showy piece of clothing that you love. It’s made of the richest possible fabric, it’s colour of cherry brandy, it’s heavy and restrictive, but impeccably tailored, and it makes everyone look at you. That’s what M7 is like: amazing sensuality, and very limited utility, in one take-it-or-leave-it bundle.

ikipi
ikipi

Its wild..

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

It is a fragrance that reflects the spirit of la maison YSL. Warm, spicy scent ...

Bandit
Bandit

Tom Ford and I have the same taste in men, lol. We both like them hairy...

Sorry guys, but M7 is unisex for me. It does not smell classic man, that's why I think a women can easily pull that off. Oud is such a strange smell, I never associate it with either sex; just Oud. The dry down is bold, but still unisex.

M7 is my cashmere sweater fume. There is a lot of fuss about cashmere sweater here, cashmere sweater there and we all don't want to hear it anymore, I know, but this one simply is: It smells warm, cosy, tender, stylish, unique.

Short great prolific time that was, when Jaques Cavallier and Tom Ford did perfumes together for YSL. Now those masterpieces are being one after the other discontinued. M7 will be next, I am quite sure.

I can live with the modern times, where 1000 new fumes are thrown on the market every year, most weak bad stuff, but I cannot live with great pieces of work are pulled from the market after short existence. That never happenend in the 20s-80s. Class withstood the test of time then.

bp

The output of the M7 market in the world of perfumery, is one of the facts makes me sad.
This scent is divine, supernatural, fabulous, irreverent, inimitable, ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT:
But it seems I can never come to him, since it has ended its production line.
I repent for not having bought a few years ago.

IMPORTANT: If you find this perfume for sale buy it immediately. Will be 100% satisfied. Do not waste this opportunity as I did.

PaulGaltier79
PaulGaltier79

My favorite fragance. It is only

bejahu
bejahu

Big, powdery men's fragrance with excellent longevity and tremendous sillage. I was walking through NY Penn Station, and stopped in the rest rooms. The smell of M7 was everywhere. It was so strong. The question was, who was wearing it? I eventually located the source: urinal cakes. They had the same powdery, sickening smell as the dry down to M7. To me, the oud note is barely present. The opening is gorgeous, but all I get in the dry down is a powdery mess. If you like powder, then this is for you. I second the commend that the dry down strongly resembles Guerlain's Pour Home L'Intense.

Scentrist
Scentrist

So knowing that this was nearing extinction, I found this little rarity and purchased it as a blind-buy on the premise of the glowing reviews and the Tom Ford history behind it. I was hopeful this would be the YSL equivalent of Gucci Pour Homme (2003).

And I was disappointed. From my perspective, this really turned out to be a very powdery concoction at its base and not at all what I'd hoped given the presence of Oud as an ingredient. It now makes more sense that YSL has since taken a much different direction. So while this is likely to be a martyr review of the fragrance, I'll breakdown my own experience.

It starts as a sharpness from the Orange/Bergamot/Rosemary, and it lacks the depth I would have suspected. The next step should have been Oud and Vetiver, and the Oud -- as compared to other Oud fragrances I currently own or have experienced -- seemed absent. Vetiver was only slightly more noticeable before this dissipated into base notes, which mostly consisted of a very powdery musk. Positively unisex, not a trace of masculinity within the entire composition. Where I'd expected a fragrance composed off Oud and Amber, I'd been left with powdery musk and an intro that smelled dead common to any other fragrance from the early 2000's.

Sorry, it's a miss for me, and my wife felt it was somewhat "old-man'ish" even for her tastes -- totally off-putting for her as well as me.

lhollingdrake
lhollingdrake

Dirty, dirty, dirty!!! Sexy, yummy, almost unwearably agressive. Love it.

i'm a girl, but still:

1.) it's like a LAPHROAIG 15y single malt in a sexy bottle.
2.) I LOOOOVE IT- if i smell it, i think: FUCK me! NOW! (No really it's that sexy)
3.) I'll buy it for myself :-)

Rob Frost
Rob Frost

Wow. I'm impressed.

While M7 smells truly oriental, it also reminds me of age old, dusty books. It's a 200 year old edition of One Thousand and One Nights made into a perfume!

M7 is heavy, warm, dry and moderately sweet. It's mysterious, smoky, dark, hypnotic and very masculine. I've never smelled anything like it.

It's a mesmerizing scent, but anything but a safe blind buy.

Update:

I couldn't resist and bought a 100 ml bottle the next day.

Unlike I wrote earlier, M7 isn't moderately, but very sweet; I didn't get this when I had sampled it. I knew that I would rarely, if ever, wear M7 outside of my house (M7 and I, we're just too different), but unfortunately, it turns out that I'm not sure if I'll wear it at all. While I stay by what else I wrote earlier, the intense citric-spicy sweetness makes M7 (for me) too overbearing.

darkunor
darkunor

Incredible smell. Sadly it gets close to the skin after 2~3 hours. The dry down is much sweeter and the oud note takes the backstage, giving way to the warm amber.

lazzz
lazzz

I bought this a few years back and will never buy again, to me it just smelled very medicinal or something...just did not agree with my body chemistry I guess. I tried several times and just could not use it...ended up using it on my dogs just so I could get rid of it! LOL

I love this perfume.
I'm sorry that this is not already on sale in almost any place.
This scent is so much class and distinction.
A timeless icon.

mystica

M7 is terribly sexy, plus soothing and comforting. I am a woman and I can't help wearing it to bed and in daytime during winter months. it perfectly blends with female chemistry as well, or it's just me, but it smells so good. as if it's not a coincidence that nowhere on the bottle or box of m7 it reads "for men". my perception you know.. This stuff hypnotizes me!

Endymion

So my relation to M7 was surprising :) (as it is with fragrances sometimes).

When it came out I was so eager to smell it as YSL is my favourite brand. I loved the bottle, the package and the advertisement. Manly and rough.
But the scent... Uhhh, yuck! I hated it :( For me it was way too heavy, heady and old manish. What a dissapointment! I thought they aimed at men in their 50s or something. I was extremely disappointed.

And what happened? Some years have passed and gave second chance to M7 as it became less and less available and started to disappear from the selves. Tested it again and... OH MY GOD! This is rough, manly, very very dry and intoxicating!!! Surely one of the best. Simple, not that subtle and refined, rather "rugged" :) LOVE IT! :) (Yes, it's not for guys under 25 or even 30)

Now, M7 is one of my favourites, a real gem, no wonder the original formula is quite rare and expensive now. I feel a bit sad that it never became a best seller :( Could have been a nice counter example to "Aqua di Gió"s and "L'eau d'Issey"s.
I think it deservs it place next to legends like Fahrenheit and Kouros, one of its kind.

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

One of the first fragrances I bought from YSL and got this when it came out.
I dont get the medicinal note some moan about concerning this.what that does is to remind me of Dior's Fahrenheit.Had the moaners going on about petroleum.

This is really woody.the Agarwood simply takes over to the extent I dont really get the vetiver listed in the notes at all.the ambergris is alright by me.

this is a rich,heavy fragrance.very strong for the first 3-4 hours when the smell softens a bit but never ever goes away.am not sure what it is they put in this to make it last so long on the skin.this lasts all day to the next.for that reason consider those around and take it easy on the trigger.maximum 2 sprays should be enough for the required occasion.

the only drawback to this is its versatility.you cant and must not wear this in summer.only a fall,winter or spring day or nite.well as long as it's a cold day you are good to go with this.sorry kids but this is not for you.your noses wont know how to handle this.

M7 seems to have disappeared off most fragrance shelves.In my enclave I was lucky to come across some only in House of fraser.all the other high street shops and perfumiers or dare i say apothecaries-to favour those who see this as medicinal and only fit for hospital use-dont have it.so the only chance of getting hold of this is to blind buy.If I am to take the word of one sales assistant,then this is going to make a comeback this xmas.cant vouch for that.just fingers crossed.

for what its worth,it's good value for money.shop around and you will get some online for cheap.too bad it's not very versatile but overall this is an all-time classic from YSL.

Rather bizarrely,the drydown of this on my skin after some 9hours reminds me of none other than that of Habit Rouge Sport.Only this simply refuses to shed off the agarwood scent.

Go for it and be unique!!!!

Akahina
Akahina

¡¡¡¡¡ BLIND BUY !!!!!

I have wanted this for quite a while and at last found a tester bottle of the original on Ebay at a great price. HOLY TOLEDO! This is a GREAT fragrance!

To my nose. completely different from anything I have smelled. Yes, at the beginning I smell something like cherry cough syrup but with more to it than that, could be the rosemary and mandarin orange. After 15-30 minutes this gives way to a very wonderful, dry woody smell (must be the oud which I am unfamiliar with and vetiver). As the dry down continues I smell the amber and musk, a sweet musk and amber tempered by woodiness. And it lasts too, I still smell the warm amber/musk the next morning. My first test was on a warm summer day, and to be honest it was a bit much, but I did get a lot of comments on how good I smelled. This one is for the cooler months of the year I would say, but that will not stop me from wearing it in warmer days or evenings if the mood strikes me.

Brilliant, multifaceted, classic, unique, masculine, sexy, alluring, seductive, mysterious, exotic and a bit dark and heavy, even challenging for those most attracted to the more "common" formulas of most designer scents. YSL should start selling this again in the US...but if they did more people would wear this and that would be a shame for those of us that want a unique fragrance.

This concoction is amazing! If I had to add one complaint about this fragrance it would be that the oud note is in the middle and I wish it would last longer into the dry down. I love the amber and musk at the end but if the oud were able to last to the end...well, heaven! Top 5 material for me, for sure! I am in awe of how good this smells and since it is so hard to find in the US, I am overly pleased with myself. I better start looking for another back-up bottle...

UPDATE: I have a back up bottle on the way from the same seller so I can now wear this with reckless abandon!

Roqfort
Roqfort

What can I say. Simply, one of the greatest scents in history. Love or hate. If you'll love, you will forever...

thinking12
thinking12

I like it!

renperd
renperd

M7 often goes to bed with me. Yes, it's a bit hairy with a huge woody smell of agar, but it settles down peacefully once it has spent its first vigorous impact. But beware, break a sweat the next day and M7 is back with a vengeance, this time riper, grittier and bordering on the uncouth. Rumours that it's been reformulated are depressing. I loved the original one.

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

it's a pity that this perfume will not be produced in future....;(

Karenin
Karenin

One of my favourite frags from the House of Saint Laurent. I like the way it develops on my skin. The head may put some people off, but the real beauty of this scent lies in its heart and especially in the base. I love the agarwood note and the musky/ambery drydown. The base is a tad sweet- but never too sweet or cloying. I love the supposedly controversial ad featuring the stark naked and hairy Samuel de Coubert- it captures the essence of M7 perfectly, in my opinion. Bravo, YSL!

karan86
karan86

best men perfume,, but only for 25 & above.. & must have for everyone.. very strong perfume very loud & noticeable..

Anup
Anup

Isn't this wonderful? I don't think i can properly express how complexly impressed i am with this eloquent expression of masculinity. I was first introduced to this last weekend, to both the vintage version and the "new" version. I found it very hard to draw and differences, perhaps some reviewers are able to pick up on an added synthetic, but i can't. Onto the "controversial" advertisement. What is it about the beauty of the human male body that irritates you so? I find it to be quite creative, classic and sensual. The son of Body Kouros, M7 contains many of the same "punches" of his father as well as his grandfather Kouros, save a bit less opinionated and a bit more hygienic ;) .

The top:

Green soft, gently powdery and oddly sharp, a healthy pinch of rosemary in the beginning of this fragrance blends very well with a true as day "orange extract" accord. Like a whole orange boiled and ALL of it's oils collected.
I don't get so much in terms of bergamot, but then again i do find it fleetingly apparent at times in the rosemary note, but i may also be something in the middle giving me that aroma.

The middle:

Oud is PREVALENT throughout the fragrance, capitalizing on it's sweet, bold tart/slick flavors. Almost eucalyptus-esque but not quite. Similar to benzoin, but then again not at all. The oud in the middle is paired VERY well with a "frank" accord of crunchy vetiver. Dressing the oudwood with an assortment of intricate designs and patterns, like a tattoo.

The base:

Strange, oudwood is only listed in the middle. I find this strange because i smell it completely upon dry-down as well, very clearly in fact. Don't get me wrong, the smooth vanillic amber is there, along with vaguely animalic musk, but the oud NEVER really does go away.

I would like to add that i am VERY happy to have my oudwood "virginity" taken from this wonderfull stallion of a mens fragrance. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Sort of like a "first boyfriend" kind of relationship. I know there are better oud fragrances out there, but for the time being, i'm stuck on M7 <3.
I love you Yves Saint Laurent.

I approve

Smell: 9.5+
Longevity: 10
Sillage: 9

shamus1
shamus1

A word of warning: M7 smells horrible in warm weather. There are few fragrances that I'll only wear certain times of the year, and this is one. What comes across as exotic and rich in cold weather smells like warmed up Robitussin cough syrup in the summer, on my skin. All the woodiness is undetectable by my nose or my brain in warm weather, and it just smells totally obnoxious and overpowering. In summer or spring, M7 is a sickening, stomach-churning candy-coated slog.

MY RATING: 8/10

JohnMc

Update: I spoke to a sales supervisor this afternoon at a YSL concession in a major London department store who stated that as From November of 2011, M7 will be re-packaged into only 80ml measures and will share the same vintage-influenced bottle design as many other YSL male fragrances - a design that has not yet been released, but which will differ from the current type for this and other male YSL scents. Thus, whilst the lady confirmed that the fragrance itself will not be reformulated, the current stocks of the 50 and 100ml sizes with its iconic flacon will not be replaced in major stores and are by consequence running low.

Heverton
Heverton

M7 on my skin starts with a very nice woody opening chord. But when times goes on, it changes for a sort of medicinal semi-sweet smell where musc and amber takes place. I don't like it. It is not for my taste.

donsalieri
donsalieri

Ok, M7 is different. But it is not different in some controversial way. For me, it is a modern (in contrast to classical fougeres), strong and complex fragrance.

Let me try and describe the three main stages to M7 I can see:

5 minutes – Some people call this phase "a medicinal smell". Yes, there is some alcoholic note there, but if my pharmacy smelled like this, I'd be there way more often. Even if you don’t love this stage, don’t be afraid – it will go away soon.

1 hour – Alcohol fades, you're starting to smell a strong warm accord and suddenly... BOOM, all the notes just click. I really don’t believe there are only rosemary, mandarin, bergamot, vetiver and agarwood in M7, it seems there is so much more. In this phase I I don't get a single easily distinguishable note. I think of M7 as an orchestra where all the members work together. After about one hour, there they are and they play brilliantly.

2-10 hours – M7 has a great longevity, on me it lasts all day. But it is not exactly the same experience that knocked you down in the first hour. Some parts are missing and others are just getting ready to leave. Still, the overall image stays. You can recognize some parts from what is left (which is mainly vetiver, agarwood and amber).

I don’t know many similar perfumes to M7. Even if the first impression is weird, I recommend you try it on your skin and see (smell) what happens. And please, don’t listen to people who say it's only for older men. Just try it and decide for yourself.

JubeiSpiegel
JubeiSpiegel

You know, i got this one based on the rave reviews, but i ended up in the minority of people that can't stand the cherry cough medicine smell. It's just too apparent once you pick up on it. Wanted to like it, but i ended up regretting the buy. Live and learn...

armaniboy
armaniboy

Ysl has reformulated it changed the bottle and still one of my favorite fragrances ever. Mysterious, sexy, elegant.An erotic elixir. Makes me feel good every time i wear it. A quality fragrance.At some points i could call this unisex.M7 was way ahead of its time. Now that i have experienced perfumes like armani prive oud royal, tom ford oud wood and such, i realize how complex expensive smelling M7 was-is.I highly appreciate this fragrance.PERFECT :)

p.s they should bring it back in stores or at least the ysl boutiques in the US.

samihardanian
samihardanian

یک عطر کم نظیر مختص آقایان میان سال، فکور، باکلاس، آرام، موقر و با پرنسیپ. اولین باری که این عطر را تست کردم احساس نمودم که یکهو میزان زیادی انرژی و قدرت از بیرون به درونم وارد شده است. هرموقع این عطر را زده ام اعتماد به نفسم بیشتر شده است. همانطور که در دوران جوانی پدرم عطری مثل آرامیس نماد شخصیت بود.در دوره ما این عطر نماد یک مرد کت و شلواری متشخص است. از داشتنش لذت بردم

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

For me, this fragrance represents modern masculine. Sharp and loud, but yet pleasant. Quite distinguished and not for below 30 in my opinion. Longevity is superb, more than 12 hours on my skin!

silentrich

Unique and unusual. The only downside is that this can only be worn in the winter and is more of a special situation kind of fragrance. Not everyone will like the Oud in this and compare it to cherry cough syrup and medicinal. I get the cherry cough syrup reference in the opening, but through the heart and drydown it transforms into one of the most masculine and comfortable fragrances that's ever been on the market. Masterpiece.

Markx
Markx

It is a human nature for people to hate perfection no matter how much they strive to achieve it, it is still not enough because they are imperfect themselves and there is somewhat of a beauty in less than perfection. M7 is one of those few perfect perfumes with no flaws at all, it is everything a male perfume strives to be but still many people try it and few buy it. You might have a beautiful girlfriend at one point of your life but you missed the chance to marry her, well all I can say is don't make the same mistake twice!

JohnMc

Very masculine, very sharp. Tom Ford I believe tried to create a modern evocation of what he feels constitutes a classic man's fragrance. 'Serious' in a word. Suit, crisply ironed shirt and polished shoes. Power and subtlety, not for partying and playing, a favorite of mine for meetings. Grown-up stuff indeed!

masterbrush
masterbrush

Sometimes I reconsider giving this one another try, but a slight whiff of the bottle is enough. In my mind I had used it for ages yet about 5/sixth is still in the bottle so it must have been the strong impression. Now it just emphasises too strongly on trying too be sensual that it spoils your appetite so if lounging around in vintage Gucci (sorry that would have to be YSL Tom Ford era) is enough for you go for it. A good fragrance should get you in the mood. This just aomes off as too eager to please and sickeningly sweet. Cheap shot and ditto bottle.

Minimephisto
Minimephisto

At first, I was choosing between Guerlain Vetiver and M7and I took vetiver over it (which I subsequently bought both).

This might be due to the fact that M7 reveals itself only after 20 minutes of the spray. At first, its smell of oud wood might be repelling to those who have had experience of chinese medicine.

It is powerful in the sense that you can actually smell its brown and dark imagery, in a sexy way.

missan

I´m not sure about the complaints that there are better Oudh colognes out there. This is not an oudh cologne, this is a cologne that has oudh as one ingredient, and that is wonderfully mixed with other ingredients.
To me it is a masterpiece in it´s own right, and so much better than most colognes i´ve come across.

Plantus
Plantus

#Review for the reformulated version#

The most original fragrance that I ever came across.I love it from the first sniff. This is so warm, rich, deep and dark.

Maybe It's not the most matching fragrance for my age( I have 26), I see a man above 30 wear this cologne.

But I enjoy it so much and I need to have it. The longevity and projection are phenomenal on my skin, I wondering how strong it's the vintage version.

A man's man cologne for sure!

I'm not excited about M7 as it is to oudh as mainstream wrestling is to Roman Greco Wrestling. Edulcorated. The opening is quite pale and soapy. In the drydown it gets a little better with vanilla and tonka beans but this is a tame fragrance anyway. Actually this smells pretty ok if you like soft oud, instead If you prefer it to be stronger, wilder or simply better, there are plenty of better options out there. Go for Amouage Epic Man, Ormonde Jayne's Ormonde Man, Montale's Black Aoud / Aoud Musk /Aoud Cuir D'Arabie /Original Aoud, Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline, Comme Des Garcons Wonderwood etc etc etc. Nice packaging!

Rating: 8/10 (for introducing oud in the designer's range)
6.5-7/10 (for my personal taste)

thobbit
thobbit

First off let me say that I am a woman and I LOVE M7 for personal use. It is my go to scent when I am feeling contemplative, or if the weather is cold and grey and I need a bit of warmth in my day. I am a huge agarwood/oud nut with a preference for the warm spicy fruitiness with medicinal nuances of Indian oud that slowly morphs into a smokey balsamic skin scent. Of course nothing compares to wearing and experiencing the essence of pure agarwood/oud oil on the skin, M7 is a close second. The vetiver is the perfect partner to the richness of the oud.

mediterranean
mediterranean

This one is too much for me to handle. My husband got a big bottle of this years ago and thanks god it broke and I never had to tell him how annoying it was.

Emiraa
Emiraa

OOOO this one is special, I absolutely love it.
So masculine...mmmmm.....love love it!

hrhsambo
hrhsambo

Smashing!! When I got this fragrance on it makes me feel like Mr Incredible. I feel like a Spartan, Maximus- AWOO! AWOO!! AWOO!!! It's a very mature frag, totally masculine, dense, heavy. Kinda makes one feel like a CEO, the all-in-all, the ultimate commando.
Silage is great and longevity is excellent. One of my top 3 fragranecs. 9.5/10

piperis
piperis

this perfume its like pikasso,superb unigue mistirious and 15 hours staying power

Kharnak

Not as strong as I expected. But definitely... classic.. i can imagine myself wearing dark Aviator glasses, or in a dark club in the 80s.
The Most obvious notes are Agarwood & Orange, Agarwood has this deliciously sweet wood smell. Be careful, some people say it smells like Chinese ducksauce.
This is costly... but i want More... mm mm

gatsby

Confident, sensual and mysterious at the same time. Not for me - but definitely a special mix. One of the classy and very distinct YSL.

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

@Brettyboy: Tom Fords best moments ? why Tom Ford? there are named 3 noses behind but none of them is him !?

Brettyboy
Brettyboy

I have it and love it but forget i have it and love it. It was one of the first real fragrances i brought and loved the mysterious smell of M7. However, i am sure other people will recognise the eternal fragrance search for the 'one' when you first get into scents and as my collection grew i seemed to forget about this one. Everytime i sprayed it and left it for a good few hours i remembered why i loved and promised myself that i would wear it more often. in hindsight this is probably one of the'ones' that was there all along. It is deep, masculine becoming softer and more exotic as time goes on. One of Tom Fords best moments.

Nicolas V
Nicolas V

I'm not sure about M7 being discontinued; I think it is just not available in some countries. I see it (and M7 Fresh) being sold in every perfume boutique here in the UAE.

naizzzak
naizzzak

dear friends once i smelled that one i found it ver gorgeous on one of my friends it was so so nice like sth very luxurious but when i come to test it i dont like it any way so my question is that is there a bad version of this >>>>>>

Once you get used to the medicinal qualities of this fragrance, you realize that it smells unique and compelling. I find it similar to Equipage, in that it's a rich and natural smell, but the dynamism may be lacking. Interestingly, when I wear vintage Fendi Uomo I find that the vetiver treatment seems similar to what you find in M7. I agree with those who say this is a scent an aficionado should at least sample, and I intend to always have a little around, perhaps to wear once or twice a year. The longevity and projection ("sillage") are so good that one spray to the chest is more than adequate. I have a couple of sealed, vintage 15 ml spray bottles I can swap (USA only), for those who want this formulation. Judging from the notes for the 2011 formulation, I can't imagine that one smelling all that similar to this one to me, and I haven't tried the first reformulation so I can't comment on that one. I have read that it has a piece of brownish color plastic that was placed on a transparent bottle to make it look like the original. I wonder how much more that dark colored glass could have cost that it was deemed too expensive (I'm assuming that is why the bottle design was changed).

loewa

My favorite men's fragrance ever!!

i like to wear even though i'm a girl.

smells very dark, erotic, strong,wild ...... it makes me think: "Take me!"

get it?

Fereiro

Hmmm... Havent heared about discontinuation of M7... Can someone provide a link or something, where this information is available? Judging to the YSL's site it is still in product list and many online shops sell it. Sometimes fragrances become temporary unavailable in some areas, so one can conclude that they've been discontinued. So, is there any official information about M7 discontinuation?

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

This is a fantastic perfume,i wouldnt mind wearing it myself.It is deep and dark,very sensual and can be worn by a women as well.First time i smelled it,it was new and my sister tried it on her hand(we didnt knew it was for men,they had it at the disk for promo).She liked it so she took some sprays on her,i loved it as well.Afterwards we found out it was for men,and my sister felt stupid..lol But the saleslady said:no worry it doesnt mather.It is a good scent,i like it also and after all it would not smell the same on you as it will on a man..Highly recommended scent,cant understand that they have discontinued it.:(

I'm curious about many discontinued fragrances, the reason being, I want to know why they were removed from the market. Seeing the amount of rave reviews M7 had been given, its discontinuation was quite unclear to me.

The moment I applied M7 to my skin, I was not repulsed, however I detected a straight-up cherry flavoured cough syrup note. I know this scent well, as a kid I suffered from bronchitis and quite often had to down this sickening liquid. From cough syrup it then began to smell slightly antiseptic, before settling into a soft, powdery spice scent.

The medicinal accord seems to be forever present, however a smokey and dry spiciness balances out the fragrance. It's a weird scent because it's somewhere between a spicy masculine and a sweet, powdery feminine. It's intriguing to say the least.

I'm a little confused as to the sillage, which I find rather weak after the cough syrup note dies down. My skin possibly eats up this fragrance, but even on paper, M7 struggles to project. Another confusion was its so-called sexiness, which I don't fathom. I find it more soothing than anything; a snuggling fragrance.

After wearing M7 for several hours, the lasting power is still going strong. I'm also on the verge on recommending this fragrance for both sexes as I have enjoyed wearing it, and have not once felt out-of-place. The odd powdery sweetness makes it perfectly wearable for women.

All in all I like it for its unique approach. I do believe it was discontinued because it was so vastly different from anything else that Yves Saint Laurent sold. To any ordinary nose, M7 just couldn't measure up to the acidic citrus colognes or aquatics that had begun to flood the male fragrance counters around the time M7 got the chop.

This scent is absolutely phenomonal!! I like most of Tom Ford's Private Blends but dislike For Men and him in general; I do not know what it is about him, but he irks me! This scent has definitely changed my opinion of him a great deal. In a time when everyone was trying to make everything watery and citrusy and transparent, he comes out with this...

This begins dry and sexy, even with the citruses. Beragmot's bitterness and mandarin together are just perfectly balanced here and the addition of pungent rosemary make it a real attention getter, some call it medicinal; I call it aromatic. The heart is just divine with the mysterious smell of oudh and earthiness of vetiver. I believe the ad campaign sums up this scent quite well: all man and naturally beautiful!! The drydown here is an ambery musky haze that joins the other notes after a couple of hours and lasts forever. I applied this for the first time yesterday afternoon, and can actually still smell it upon waking this morning! 27 hours later, it is detectable (but not actually projecting)and to find this in a 21st century men's scent is astounding!! I almost swooned when I first applied it, as it is so smooth, sexy and earthy. A real manly man's scent (but in no way brutish or too much) that is raw, dark and sensual...

Sillage: great
Longevity: fantastic
Overall: 4.75/5

This scent is one of the most elegant mens' perfumes I have ever smelled and I cannot get enough of it! This fragrance radiates dark sexiness, dry earthiness and such warmth! The perfect juice for autumn and winter!! Stock up on the older "vintage" reddish glass bottles, they are worth the price, for sure! And sooner or later I'm sure they will be gone (or a shadow of former glory!), and when they are: they will be very sorely missed...the new version is nice, but no classic, in my opinion.

*Thanks Action for my first taste of this wonderful scent!!* :-)

katmerli
katmerli

it smells beautifull. i have to buy a bottle of this amazing fragrance. i fall in love... :))

Valentino
Valentino

Whilst I own and admire this modern classic, I often find it difficult to wear. For me it is the true male equivalent of YSL's Opium for women. As such, it has a heady and complex aura which makes me feel self-important.

The dryness of the agar wood makes me feel strong and arrogant, ideal for work and business meetings. It says that I am a 'Man of the World'. At the same time I feel distant and aloof and wish that M7 had a touch more warmth in its basenotes.

To this end of warm woods, I prefer Creed's Bois du Portugal and even (whisper this quietly) that good old boy of men's frags, Old Spice. (Lol, before I get chucked out of Fragrantica for blasphemy, I should point out that Old Spice dates back to 1938 and is a P&G product, the same as many prestige brands these days!)

mehrdad

بسیار خوشبو و با دوام و عطری شگفت انگیز که به جرات میتوان گفت برای خیلیها شاید بتواند بعنوان بهترین عطر و رایحه تلقی شود پخش بوی مناسبی داشته و همه از بوی آن لذت میبرند بسیار دوستانم هنگام استفاده آن سوال کرده و گفته اند بسیار خوشبو میباشد
مردانه
Kik: mehrdad_gallery
E.mail: perfume.gallery121@gmail.com

M7 - EAU DE TOILETTE

Natural spray PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The expression of a new vision of male sensuality

Intense and fascinating the M7 man possesses raw virility and a sensuousness which makes him both desirable and intriguing. Profoundly seductive, he marks the return to a resolutely masculine and magnetic archetype.

Size: 50 ml , 100 ml

Fantastico!
ფანტასტიკა!
奇妙!
素晴らしい!

Fantastic in all languages!

purplesun
purplesun

One of the best fragrances for men, in my opinion. I just love the darkness and mystery of this EdT from YSL. Actually, I have never smelled a YSL cologne that I didn't absolutely adore.
I guess I dont need to mention the medicinal feel of M7. What else could one say about such a masterpiece, except that they dont really make such perfumes anymore, or in very wide intervals at best. This is not really a trend-setting frag, since there can hardly be any perfume that comes close to this or even follows in its steps. M7 simply does not need that. It stands in its own right as a bright beam of the light of hope that all those despairing of the flood of tasteless juice need. Highly recommended and addictive.

QCYCORNELL
QCYCORNELL

alluring, fresh, crisp and masculine. great value, the weather in Nigeria permits you to wear a long-lasting cologne that keeps you fresh all day long, this is it!

Dad jax
Dad jax

Ppl calling M7 a bad perfume they simply have no right to wear any kindda perfume...I simply love this one..it's dam awsome,fresh, woody, a touch masculine,Unique and girls get crazy about it. I donot belive that you won't get any compliments in the first hour or two after wearing this mate...I must say that YSL on it's very best !

vadim
vadim

it smells good, I don't know but when I first time smelled it was like and old lipstick blended with some cherry. It's a strong,with wood and amber fragrance. Like chanel antaeus it's a great classic fragrance, but this one it's not sharp like chanel. Also it lasts a lot

costaleo
costaleo

As it usually happens with some fragrances, at first I really disliked M7. I thought it was a very, very weird scent, with a medicinal taste to it that made me feel sick. Really sick. But I have come to learn that whenever I have such an opinion about a cologne, I just have to wait until my nose gets more used to more different smells and eventually try it again. Chances are that I will start enjoying it. Maybe not enough to buy and own a bottle, but at least to acknowledge its value. With M7 it was no different. I started to enjoy it when I bought M7 fresh (which for me is much more wearable) and began to get used to the drydown - much lighter.
Now I am thinking of buying it to wear together with Fresh. M7 is definately a great scent, already a classic (one more) by YSL.

misiek_pl
misiek_pl

Unreal fragrance, in my top 3 fragrances. Drydown is heaven.

Lance
Lance

What took me to know about this, is the poster, with a totally nude man on it! My girlfriend just shouted "OMG" when she was surfing the Internet! LOL
The bottle is not like YSL way, kinda cheap!(but I heard that it was designed by Tom Ford), but they said the scent is amazing!
I found it no where in my country! Pity :(

missan

Update: A masterpiece no less, wonderful wood and vetiver. A relaxing cologne best suited for a little colder weather.
Long lasting, lovely drydown. M7 is nearly unbelievably good.

Found the old bottle, don´t know if the newer one is different.

My top 2-3,maybe even my nr one, how can this be bettered? Paco Rabanne or Grey Flannel maybe?

vdxl

Lovely woody fragrance: a different kind of an oriental, very earthy( read also Terre D'Hermes) and very sexy. It is sweet, but not sugary, the oud note is very intriguing: does have a slightly medicinal feel, but it is not something bad: the final effect is marvellous. The projection is monster, the lasting power also. However, after a while you may not perceive it, but be sure others are feeling your sensual scent. Definitely not for work:not everyone enjoys oud-like perfumes, but great for evenings. It is also very addicting.

I heard it was reformulated: I was lucky enough to find the original one, with the old packaging at a very good price.

lovescully
lovescully

M7 is a masterpiece! I could not have hoped for a more sexy, masculine fragrance.

It's quite heavy, but its richness in tempered with a definite sweetness that is just intoxicating.

Although I think this well & truly stands on its own as original, if I had to compare it to something, I would say that it resembles a sweeter, headier version of Gucci Pour Homme 1.

This will no doubt become one of my all time winter favourites. Love it.

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

Wow, I have just receieved my M7 100ml EDT. I must have the newer version as mine is a clear glass bottle with one dark glass background.
The fragrance is sexy, sweet, very woody and lasts forever. I do not get any of the medicinal smell on me at all. I get smokey woods with a spicy sweetness. Amazing projection and monster sillage and a great find for me! It sort of reminds me of Comme Des garcons MAN2 which I love too but M7 is much more sweeter/spicy. 9/10

tavinver
tavinver

I love this scent, is a kind of "chic magnet", well, at least for me, woody, deep, distinguished, spectacular in just one word.

missan

This is very special, especially the drydown, it´s fantastic. I am not sure I like the first hour so much, I have yet to deside. But as a whole, very unique.

hay81hay
hay81hay

one of cologne gave me different Feeling, just like Opium Pour Homme Eau d'Orient after i bought it from ebay i thought that i do big mistake but after 2 days i totally change my mind and it became one of the best i had .

i don't know why two of ysl cologne i hate them first then love them to crazy

behzad1280
behzad1280

You know what? It probably has some Man Natural Odor among notes!

It’s fantastic. Very mature and complicated scent. Absolutely masculine and dignified. Not good for youth and even daring women!

It reminds me my father: a retired but still strong colonel, attractive and charming!

میدونین چیه؟ فکر میکنم یه خورده از عطر طبیعیه پوست مرد تو ترکیبات اصلی این ادکلن هست
واقعاً بینظیره
خیلی بالغانه و تکامل یافته است
مردانه و با وقار
واسه جوونترها زیاد مناسب نیست، حتی واسه زنهایی که دوست دارن عطر مردونه بزنن
این منو یاد پدرم میندازه: یه سرهنگ بازنشته قدیمی ولی هنوز قوی، جذاب و دوست داشتنی

راستی اون قدیمی هایی که عطر دِرِک میزدن یقیناً این عطر اونها رو حسابی ذوق زده میکنه

Fereiro

Disarming and enchanting fragrance. On the skin it changes and transforms magically. The main trick, that you feel its first accords when you take a breath, and than its magical transformation at the exhalation. There's a lot going on there, while drydown, so from time to time you can hardly differentiate, which of the components you hear at this moment. The opening is unusual and rather dark and heavy, but then it transforms into the warm and very intimate composition, just give it a time. Because of its unusual character M7 unfairly underrated, but for me this is an advantage, because it is rare to hear it in a crowd. For me M7 is like a favorite, good, old leather jacket. Wish YSL will produce it unchanged and forever. Outstanding longevity. The color of the original design bottle describes the essence of fragrance very well, but nowadays fragrance comes in a cheap transparent bottle with the brown side. The composition itself remain unchanged IMO. 10/10

DC-8
DC-8

A real wonderful oriental scent. I have a special weakness against Agarwood and this was one real original artwork of it. It has the same hints of traditional Arabic Oud oil as well, which I love so much.

Top notes appear medicinal, resembling something like coughing syrup, because of the rosemary. But don't let it confuse you. Very soon, it will fade out and render into a divine scent that you can't move on. I assure you of that!! The final amber/musk combination create a creamy (also sort of powdery) sweet scent that would all the time stroke your nose in a very warm motherly way :-) Also, I feel some hints of vanilla, though.

For the ones, into 70s style, it could be a good offer, though it is a modern thing.

Longevity and projection are all great on my skin.

When I bought it, it was a cold rainy night and I wore it in the cozy alleyways in the darkness, while raining. An amazing feeling like nostalgia...

Longevity worked really wonderful on my skin. I received comments as well. :-) It's a result of two prominent stars: Mr. Morillas and Mr. Cavallier! :-)

9.5 of 10...

Yiorgos
Yiorgos

speechless.....one of the best ever perfumes...I just ordered on internet!

marioslg
marioslg

One of the most masculine male perfumes in the market. Smells like nothing else, it's luxury, dark and very manly. The woody smell is so great and distinctive that either you love it or hate it....a must for those that they want to have a full range of perfumes.
For chaps above 30 and not for very your guys. One of the best creations for YSL

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

oh i tested it today, im sorry i'm arab boy and familiarised with oriental scents and oud and this M7 doesn't really scent oud like, maybe just a little in the start but it transforms quickly into a very dry and cold myrrh scent, very strong and cold, yes cold despite myrh is a very hot scent, i don't know how they made it cold, but it is not really oud, or just a liitle and a big myrrh presence

6opar
6opar

I don't think M7 should be classified as fresh as I at least associate fresh with simple, light and clean fragrances that smell of air and soap.
M7 is a totally different. Dark, heavy and not at all clean - this YSL offering's purpose is to make men notable in a mysterious, manly and unusual way.
An Absolute Winner. *****

minister smellgood
minister smellgood

the COLDEST cold weather fragrance to come out in quite some time.wearing this makes me feel rich and important.

scenturian
scenturian

A definitely mature classic. Sexy, hot, seductive and very masculine. Woody scent with strong oud and vetiver note. A little sweety and powdery.
Long lasting and really strong. All room smells m7 if somebody wears it, surely dominant.
Not 4children or citrus aquatic fans.

badao70
badao70

It starts with a syrup, but dry down excellent, good sillage, Perfect.

guynspfld
guynspfld

I love M7.......What can I say...It is amazing....IT lasts forever.....I can put it on in the morning and in the evening still smell it. I get tons of compliments and no one smells like I do. I think it is a great counterpart to Nu by YSL......I like the dark and woody aroma, but never is it over powering.

deeper_shallow
deeper_shallow

I got M7 as a substitute for my old (in most places) discontinued favorite KL, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only woman who wears it! Very rich and seductive, but still spicy-fresh.

vdxl

A sweet earthy-woody cologne for men. At first it is very medicinal, but turns into a natural and very sensual vetyver and wood scent. It is great, but still pretentious and definitely not for the summer. In the winter and fall it is most appropriate. In the summer you may smell like a dirty man.

countbernadotte
countbernadotte

I just received my package by FedEx, and tried it on. I must confess, I don't think highly of it; it does not impart an impression that it is a fragrance.

It is as so many have said, smells of cough syrup or a medicated pancake syrup. It causes headaches and it is also very nauseatingly repulsive.

However, a scent like M7 should never be judged so quickly. I'll keep testing it for a week, and will then write a full report about my experience.
---------------------------------------

It has been almost a week now. You would be pleased to learn that I have given it to my neighbor at the very, very end of the subdivision! ... so that smelling it again would be highly unlikely!

Russian
Russian

As a woman,I would really like this fragrance on a man.It's very important to be unique,and this perfume does its job very well.

ZeeK
ZeeK

First 2-3 times of usage and M7 made me feel to like or dislike the fragrance but later I surprisingly started liking it and attracted towards its uniqueness, never had any single negative comment whenever I wore M7 but its for sure a type of fragrance that I like to smell over my body. Its different even its perfect for use in South Asian and Middle Eastern regions. That's just because of the use of Agar wood that doesn't dominates the overall scent but makes it a perfect wearing experience for someone who is fond of "Attar" oriented fragrances and off course where surroundings allow this sort of intense perfume. Truly intense, very masculine, lasting is perfect (can smell it all around on the other day from my worn-out shirt).

M7 is good for romantic / intimate wear and lasts 16+ hours. I was a bit confused about its silage initially but man its perfect.... really a Splendid choice for an extra ordinary Man!

kurisu
kurisu

I always curious about this one for a long time,because its controversial review.So,I give it a try, an opening isn't charming,smelling like medicine,but after the top notes is gone...the middle notes and base notes is heavenly.Rich, mellow and sweet.A bit masculine in the opening,but after dry down...I think woman can use it as well.Just give it sometime to settle on you skin.

glitteralex
glitteralex

This is one of my favorite men's scents to wear, aside from Tenere by Paco Rabanne. Very sexy on a woman, must be the ambergris and Agarwood. Very earthy and close to the skin-yum. A newcomer that bears resemblance is Beckham for Men.

vincent
vincent

This scent attacks your nose and numbs it. Targeted towards old men. To me it smells like someone's "trying too hard".

Jasper
Jasper

Not so mush of a sexy scent, but I like the sweet powdery drydown.

fqjcior
fqjcior

Incredible smell! One of the most mysterious and alluring drydowns in the men's perfums. I think is VERY sexy!
The problem is I bought a new 50 ml bottle recently (which is no more dark red but made of white glass with only one side covered with dark red sticker!) and what I am 100% sure they somehow reformulated the fluid. The sillage is no longer there and it's no longer such incredibly long lasting. I thing they made the fragrance cheaper by incresing the volume of alcohol as a solvent. As we all know the agarwood oil is very expensive... Now I need to use more of it to actually smell it. That is why I will be out of it in shorter time what will force me to buy another bottle. With the older all-dark-red bottle I would stick much much longer. Well - the market won over the quality (again)! Pitty! Because it's not the same fragrance anymore. 09/21/08 22:22:33

ticalau
ticalau

2 me smells like dentist! yack don't like it :( But i do appreciate YSL... one of the best of course!

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

Sexy, dirty, wet. Such a bed scent!

afraafra
afraafra

the drydown is out of this world, very sexy

fredricktoo
fredricktoo

there's none listed below. Last I heard this was being discontinued. Buy it if you find it. This gives an idea of what the Aoud fragrances from Arabia are like.

Urban Skies
Urban Skies

My favorite men's fragrance ever. It smells like history. No longer sold in stores, but available online.

elgab89
elgab89

WOW! This is my favorite perfume that my husband owns. Sexy, warm and fresh at the same time.

2007

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent 4.29 out of 5 based on 1484 ratings and 293 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent M7 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent M7, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify M7 by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of M7 by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.