Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Nu Eau de Toilette Yves Saint Laurent for women

Nu Eau de Toilette Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

smoky
Nu Eau de Toilette Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Nu Eau de Toilette Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Nu Eau de Toilette was launched in 2003. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Cavallier. Top notes are neroli, bergamot and cardamom; middle notes are iris, jasmine and orchid; base notes are musk, vanilla and incense.

Neroli Bergamot Cardamom

Albho

Nu Eau de Toilette Fragrance Reviews

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

I just got my hands on a bottle of this Nu Eau De Toilette, and I am happy that I did.. I put two little squirts on and I am surprised because it smells a lot like how I imagined it.. It opens up with a fresh neroli and bergamot blast that is balanced by the spicy cardamom note and the incense in the base.. Than the florals immediately start to appear.. I detect a lot of jasmine and iris with a hint of orchid which definitely makes this a feminine fragrance.. The incense is definitely there and it gives Nu a dark, smoky, sexy, mysterious vibe.. Nu feels dark sultry and warm but at the same time feels cold.. I expected Nu to be a lot less feminine being that I read so many reviews claiming that it is so masculine and that it should have been marketed towards men.. To me Nu smells very feminine but I still like it a lot and will continue to wear it and pull it off the best I can.. It smells very modern to me and I do not see why it was a flop because it smells amazing and Nu is far superior to most of the women's fragrances on the market today.. Shame on YSL for discontinuing Nu.. I will update once I spend more time with Nu..

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

I don't think "incense and cardamom" when I put this on. Instead, I smell a musky, gently bitter green-tea-and-rose-scented fantasy flower, floating in a bowl of faintly melon-scented water.

Doing arithmetic on the notes confirms that the incense and cardamom are there -- they account for the flower's musky cooling and balsamic notes. But I think of this fragrance as an incense-inflected floral, not an incense fragrance.

Iris is prominent throughout, reminding me of violet blossoms. The scent becomes powdery, but not unbearably so: the bitter notes keep the powder in check.

I find the vanilla drydown pleasantly surprising. I wouldn't think vanilla could hide underneath such soft, water-scented flowers, but (perhaps thanks to the wonders of modern chemistry) it can.

miki1968
miki1968

i have even the edp version i like both...maybe i like a little more the edp for its longlasting...at least to me seems more powerful but anyway i like the both version and there are quite different.

Addicted2byzance
Addicted2byzance

Now why i keep falling for fragrances i can't get hold of is a mystery. I had this particular one for a while cos i used to grab it and spray it on every once in a while and suddenly when i fell so badly for it i realised it had been discontinued....Why oh why !, i hope i can get a hold of it somehow. It's one of those perfumes i need to have in my vintage collectibles cos i like it.

chaosvirtu
chaosvirtu

I love both the edp and edt, they smell slightly different. The edt is a little brighter and more floral, while the epd is deep and spicy. On me the edt lasts all day, while the edp lasts a day, and a night, and then some. I picked both up a few years ago at r*ss, or T* max, my lucky day!

Flowersniffer
Flowersniffer

both edp and edt are gorgeous fragrances HOWEVER the edp lasts about 10 minuts on my skin and the edt about 5 minutes.... what a waiste of time and money... I certainly understand now ..why it has been discontinued

this review is for the original version. TEST before buying... i found both edp and edt huge disapointments

krmarich
krmarich

Forging in the next century, Nu defied all trends of the day. Tom Ford was still in charge of the house and he was very loyal to the tradition of quality. YSL is still smoking, despite poor sales and public ignorance. In the USA, all of the department stores that promoted YSL merged with Macys, who didnt carry YSL at the time. Where can you sample this descendant of Opium? No where. I bombed in the US.

It was no fault of YSL NU, of course. Its a large, smokey peppery sex bomb that has to be experienced just once. It is very chic without the childish fruity trend. Its also nocturnal with Jasmine and the orchid/vanilla note. It dries down to a dusty, smokey, bed room sent. It is a worthy predecessor to Opium in every way!

The internet kept YSL alive and was the only way to get a bottle. I bought it, unsniffed, just based on the reputation of YSL. There was no risk, as I have loved everything before.

Nu has been relaunched this year, I am sure it is changed. L'Oreal Paris trashed all formulas after 2009.

jellybeantree
jellybeantree

This has come back! It was discontinued! They brought back four discontinued fragrances!

Bandit
Bandit

I have just discovered that Nu EDT is the perfect scent to trim my toenails!

No, just kidding. Before you waste your precious Nu on Yoga, where everybody in your yoga group hates you for wearing it (or a perfume at all), dedicate it to me.

Do try it :)

derkargy
derkargy

The EDP version is far better..

olga1780

What a beauty.....dark,mysterious, elegant and sexy. Insence and cardamom add a lot of depth to it. Sillage and longevity are way above average on my skin. A real treasure in my collection!

olga1780

I made a ridiculously low offer on Ebay to someone selling from their personal collection because another bottle of perfume is the last thing on Earth that I need....and to my surprise it was accepted!
My review is coming sometimes next week!

Nu is a fragrance that I don't tend to hear much of. While it seems to have disappeared from most stores, there are a few select places that I know still stock it. I was lucky enough to try Nu, although I would have loved the opportunity to sample the EDP as well.

Nu is quite a spicy and sharp fragrance at first. As it settles, the jasmine and iris tend to create a soft, loving bouquet, which is complimented by rather peppery cardamom. The overall blend has a somewhat smoky aroma.

The composition has a bite to it. Nu is not a fragrance for the shy. There are so many dynamic ingredients that it's quite flabbergasting to find how beautifully balanced they all become on the skin. It's an incense-based fragrance, yes. However, the pepper and floral accords really give this fragrance that little something more.

Up-close, Nu may tingle your nose a little. It has enough peppery-ness to make you want to sneeze. However from a distance, this fragrance is something special, despite being quite heady stuff.

The longevity is really impressive, as is the sillage of course, as you may have gathered. Really a shock to think this is not something that YSL proudly sells anymore. I find Nu far more captivating than the patchouli-oriental, Elle. It's worth discovering.

Nu EDT is not a perfume I would buy in store,as there are always the other ones to catch my eye.but I recieved this one from an intimate friend and I'm happy to have it as a distinct,different perfume.
it's spicy,sassy,naughty.that's how I can describe it.the provocative notes of jasmine and iris has well combined with spicy notes that totally make it sophisticated.
it's insolent and devil.it's a good choice for a bad girl.

kristina_vili
kristina_vili

Very strange perfume.I don`t know even do I like it or not.It`s interesting for sure and deserves attencion.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

This is another of my preferred "cool" fragrances, as opposed to floral or citrus. I love the bergamot and cardamom, and the incense note is a lovely balance to the herbs. Quite long-lasting, 4-5 hours, inoffensive and not overtly "come hither", and not a strain on your purse. Do yourself a favour and if you like "cool" and don't want to smell like everyone else, add it to your collection.

sistercurare
sistercurare

It's spicy, dark, remarkable, too bad it never took its place in the market.....but this is a review of NU EAU DE PARFUM, because the EDT is different more like the middle notes without the spices and the smoke of the original. It smells like NU edp only mixed with water, seriously. Nu edp is pure sex, edt is so p r e d i c t a b l e, I wouldn't settle for it, since NU edp disappeared from the market along time ago...What a pity!!!

sasadeen
sasadeen

I got a sample of this one, the first time I tested it I thought I could't wear it because it's too "old" and it's not my type at all.

After I try it on my skin, I guess the miracle happen (lol) seems like it's a great mixture between NU and my chemistry, it smells so good, so sexy and not as "old" as I thought. I suddenly love it.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Purchased it for my aunt and I have to say it is a very lovely oriental fragrance. It is strong and intense for a grown confident woman. The floral notes turn powdery which I like. The staying power is superb.!EDT

Kterhark
Kterhark

I did a search on 'orchid, incense, bergamot' fragrances, and of the nine that came up i've tested half, and from that I'd say Nu EDT most closely resembles Black Orchid.

To me, if Black Orchid represents twenties-singles sex; Nu EDT represents married-for-a-while sex.

This is a softer, quieter floral that wears more like a warming plate than a roaring fire. Do I like it? Yes, it hits all the notes I like without getting high-ringing plasticy (which I found in Amouage's Silver cologne) or down right obnoxious (which I got from Estee's Youth Pew)

Nu EDT I would comfortably wear to the office (or church, even). Black Orchid I would wear with discretion.

tzoutzou78
tzoutzou78

i tested it in a store and i fell in love with it right away,all i can say is that is the most feminine sexy fragrance, whith the most armonious incensce note ive ever smelled.definitely a must buy!!!

gesch
gesch

I had the EdP-Version, loved it, ran out and bought as replacement the EdT. These two are really different in character, though. The EdP is more,mhh, gentle?!
nevertheless: I love the deep sultry fragrance, but I can't wear it unless going out and aiming for frivolous things - so for daytime I mix it with "Zinzibar" or "Nutmeg&Ginger" -
and for that I beg your pardon or understanding.
And I have to admit-I love this combi!It's more "me" ;)

lyndsey12
lyndsey12

I bought this recently unsniffed and was unaware of the incense in the base notes. I cannot bear incense and feel that I should be an ageing hippy when I am wearing this for the first time today.
Also the fragrance itself only lasts 2-3hrs tops before you need to 'freshen up'.
Needless to say my mother loves this fragrance and I will be giving this to her!
update- This gave my mum a headache..
Further update- 4 yrs later got it back again and adore it! Its funny how ones tastes change!

mmizy
mmizy

this is a sexy, and mysterious fragrance. I have be avoiding this fragrance just because of the name and the notes. I like it very much. softer than what I expected. Its like a toned down Dior addict minus the initial spicy shock. The vanilla and the cardomam and orchid combine together beautifully. Sensual and intimate is the perfect words for this. The lasting power is not that good though it is fading now after two hours.

I initially detected in Yves Saint Laurent's NU (edt) a tiny hint of vanilla, but the fragrance was then quickly overtaken by a dominant almost pepper-like cardamom note. Although this is definitely an oriental fragrance, NU has a clean spiciness--thanks in part to the bergamot--which brings it closer to a skin scent than to an enigmatic mystery, at least according to my nose...

I concur with those who regard NU as a unisex fragrance, as the bergamot, neroli, and cardamom really tame the mid-note florals. The incense is not too strong here, serving to complement not mask the spicy opening. Neither sweet, nor inaccessibly dark, this fragrance could easily be worn by men and women alike for either day or night.

SPOILEDnose
SPOILEDnose

this is definitely NOT unisex! absolutely and 100% female fragrance, intense, rich, warm, staying power is ok, i would say... jasmine and iris, i dont smell other notes sorry, bergamotte? vanilla? orchid? hmm????'## jasmine, iris, iris, jasmine, and at the base a little incense THANK GOD, and for this it is pretty UNunique, i find a LOT of different frag`s who smell nearly the same... i am a lil dissapointed, especially because its j.cavallier`s work and i think this man is a genius-nose (well most of the time) ah and whats also interesting is, that lancome`s poeme nearly the same (also cavallier-work)

seventh
seventh

Rich, warm and enchanting. Very long lasting. Had many compliments on it. One of the best things in the perfume industry. With this one you smell confident and classy. I like the fact that is not that popular so I am not afraid that I will smell like every other woman in town. Simply a beautifull fragrance.

allexa27
allexa27

Such an enchanting fragrance that is rich and spicy in character.It makes me feel very strong and self-confident.there is no big difference between EDT and EDP on my skin.I barely smell the flowers ,only i get is cardamom ,incense and lots of mysterious feelings.:)
P.S.At first i didnt like it at all ,but now I am crazy about it.Very luxurous ,unique and extremelly long lasting perfume!

moonflower143
moonflower143

i love strong, oriental perfumes coz thats what matches my body chemistry, but this perfume is a bit too strong for me..glad i only bought the 30ml bottle..though i love the bottle so im still keeping it.:-)

i bought a 30ml bottle just today.i got attracted with the color of the bottle and surprisingly, it also smells nice...its sexy and deep..i will purchase a bigger bottle next time. :-)

juliane
juliane

i bought a small bottle of the EDT at ebay without having it smelled before. but i really doesn't regret it at all! its such a perfect floral oriental: feminin and sexy. absolutely not sweet, more sexy like a black silk shirt and perfect cut jeans, understatement like... it's a pity that it isn't long lasting on my skin: after 10min it smells like a light skin scent, very very good, but also LIGHT. this makes the EDT a perfume for everyday, maybe i'll buy the EDP for going out at night, because it's such a modern, nice scent and even the bottle is so wonderful!!!
have they really discontinued it?

FUELedbyCHAOS
FUELedbyCHAOS

I agree. As a man I wear this and get many compliments. I was working with YSL during it's launch and it was almost sold as a unisex. As with most of Tom Ford's fragrances, they are just ahead of their time. Would do much better if released now.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Ok...this is a female perfume, but I like it a lot.
To me it is totally compatible with both male and female.
It is strong and amazingly longlasting.
The power of Iris + Incense make this scent unique!

brittliis
brittliis

Today I received my EDT from cheapsmells and I am so satisfied, as it smells exactly like EDP, maybe a bit milder but actually I dont feel any difference. And the EDT bottle is so nice- attractive blue one. Life may go on now:)!

vertigo
vertigo

I love the poster and the fragrance is stunning! modern, direct and luxurious.

Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent 3.84 out of 5 based on 197 ratings and 35 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Nu Eau de Toilette fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Nu Eau de Toilette, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.