Designers » T-Z » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

I have it: 920 I had it: 253 I want it: 480 My signature: 40

smoky
Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Opium arrived on the market in a new flacon in autumn 2009. Design of the flacon was developed by art director YSL Fabien Baron and Stefano Pilati. The new flacon features a sprinkle integrated inside its stopper. Notes of this edition are bergamot, mandarin, jasmine and myrrh. The new bottle is accompanied with advertising campaign the face of which is Karen Elson.

Bergamot Mandarin Orange Lily-of-the-Valley

Carnation Jasmine Myrhh

Patchouli Opoponax Amber Vanille

Opium
Opium Secret de Parfum
Cafe
Opium Rouge Fatal (Collector's Edition 2015)
Opium Collector's Edition 2014

Opium Fragrance Reviews

free tibet
free tibet

My mother loves this scent. I always buy her the EDP. What can I say. It is one of the best and most intense perfumes I have ever smelled in my life. Every dollar worth.

L'amoureux
L'amoureux

I would unapologetically wear this as a man. It's so good! And not overly feminine, It is just right. It's the powder feel that makes it smell feminine. Powder scents are just fine with me (i.e Prada Pour Homme, Narciso Rodriguez Essense).

I would be light on the trigger, no doubt, It has got hydrogen bomb strength..

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Opium Yves Saint Laurent

*The Reformulation

Bergamot Mandarin Orange Lily Of The Valley

Carnation Jasmine Myrrh

Patchouli Opoponax Amber Vanilla

I thought I'd never wear the new formula for Opium but in my new adventures in fragrance I'm going to places I wouldn't have cared for before. I'm a diehard fan of the original Opium. My mother wears it. I wear it. It's a masterpiece and really the all time best fragrance created by the house of Yves Saint Laurent. It takes me to the 70's exactly as if it were a Time Machine. The fragrance was/is to die for. The incense, the patchouli, the spices, resins, and it's animalistic ferociousness makes it one of the greatest fragrances of all time. I wear it very infrequently because it is rather pungent, and it's a theatrical perfume which for me means I can only wear it on Halloween or for a costume party wearing vintage 1970's jump suits, bell bottoms, and other fabulous finery from the decade. It's boldness is appreciated when I wear it from time to time.

But the new formula is easier to wear and something I can wear with more frequency. It's really not a reformulation and does not truly honor the original. It's not bad, and I can still make the argument that it has the bones/DNA of the original, but it's lighter in it's texture, less complex and more of a vanilla patchouli scent. I find it very enjoyable, like Opium's young apprentice or protégé, taking notes and learning from the master, and while flattering in it's attempt to emulate her, is not quite there yet. This is the same type of "toilette" lighter and more wearable and "shrunken" scent I get from reformulations of classics, i.e. the new Miss Dior, Chanel No. 5, No. 22, L'Air du Temps, Arpege and Shalimar. Opium has it's place among those great fragrances but as far as reformulations go this is a typical reformulation.

This Opium opens with fresh citrus. It smells like lemony men's aftershave. The citrus dominates the top notes so right off the bat you have to enjoy citrus scents in order to like the new Opium. This is a unisex fragrance by the way. It can be worn by both sexes because it has something for both sexes, and ingredients found in both men's colognes and women's perfumes. The original was most definitely a cologne for women, not a typical perfume. There is a nod to Shalimar here as well. The citrus becomes progressively juicier but it starts to smell yup a gourmand scent. Almost immediately I pick up on the vanilla. This is the big player here and it gives this scent everything it needs for support: a touch of powder, a balsam, a musk, and a burnt rubber quality. The amber is also as important to this fragrance's make-up as the vanilla. This is a resinous gooey amber which holds all the notes together.

The flowers that are hardly detectable in the original Opium have more room to breathe and to let out their aroma. The carnation and jasmine. This is more a jasmine on me but the carnation is also present, but it's a green carnation, with fragrant leaves and not it's petals. The greenness of lily of the valley is also here. The green notes of these flowers match up with the patchouli leaves. This has more in common with the Opium Eau de Toilette which for me was far more herbal and green than the Parfum.

The myrrh in this scent is not as smoky or as voluminous as in the original because frankly the original was an incense. It's dense and softer with a slightly resinous texture coming from the opoponax. There could also be a missing note of benzoin. It's creamy because of the vanillic substance but it is not the incense and the Gypsy campfire we enjoyed in the original. For me the original was a true definitive Oriental. It smelled like a Chinese opium den which is what I believe the original fragrance evoked so well.

Because this fragrance is less complex with less notes, and it's stripped and "nude" compared to the gorgeous costume of the original, this is a skin scent, not offensive, easy to wear as any place any time type of fragrance. It is an attempt to get the younger crowds to try it out and then decide for themselves whether or not to wear the vintage. It's also a good introduction to Orientals and to Opium if you don't want to buy it blindly. It's not as sexy and it's clearly more of a skin freshner but honestly I liked it. It was pleasant and it was interesting to compare and contrast the original with the new formula.

I will not bash this fragrance. I'm not going to fall into perfume snobbery. I enjoy the new formula and wear it when the late summer segues into autumn. It feels like a warm outdoors hot tub. It's still a nice, sweet incense, with a dark sultriness that can be alluring if you feel yourself getting sexier wearing it. Sexiness is mental, even fragrances can be mental because the scents have the power to create moods, bring out personalities, and take us to far off places or to our own past through memory. Yes this is not the Opium that reigns supreme but this is a little Opium that has caught a little of the spark.

Highly recommended for fans of vintage reformulations and for fans of wearable incense, patchouli and vanilla, and I would recommend this to be worn when you want to take yourself seriously and go on job interviews and to the office (as long as you don't over spray) and can be formal for evening wear to dinner or dates, but also flexible enough as a casual scent to wear just because you feel like it.

estaesta
estaesta

think of breathing in a burning nag champa superhit insence stick the size of a galaxy with the most expensive oriental oils poured by gods who have just washed their hands in spanish maja soap on a burning stone with a bowl of manderins.

Noelaubergine
Noelaubergine

I thought that this modern retooled version has not been given a chance to express itself. Of course having myself experience the glory of the vintage Opium, it is indispensable for me to compare: from the blanding of the base, the weakening of cloves, cinnamon, coconut, the intensified top notes, plus those that the furious Opium cult members continue to mention. I hold Opium dear to my heart along with Poison de Christian Dior, and it saddens me that noses today so complain much about the modern formula. Haven't you thought that those vintages you hold closely have aged? That some ingredients have turned acrid and rancid?

For me, Opium de YSL is still the Opium I suffocated from when I was 5 years old. When my mom spritzed without abandon. Mom was working at Duty Free and was often given perfumes as gifts from suppliers. She recounted, "I wasn't given Opium when it was launched here [in the Philippines]. I bought it because I really loved it." This current juice has improved, don't tell me it didn't. The base is not as complex as before but definitely, it is still the goddess, the queen, the cloying mother alongside with Poison.

Stop with all the complaints. Be thankful that a modern incarnate with the same soul exists. And having been able to experience this unusual, glorious balsamic, resinous queen oriental, I'm truly grateful. But I digress.

Opium opens with an intense tonic of bergamot and mandarin. Cinnamon still there, holding the citruses in place, more like iced lemonade spiked with cinnamon, refreshing and vibrant. But there's a dark side to it, the unfloral carnation together with the tremendous balsams pushing through a symphony of something that borders between masculinity and femininity. The amber accord with oppoponax and myrrh make a very wonderful statement, leaving a beautiful trail. The coconut, bay leaf, coriander, labdanum, vetiver, castoreum, sandalwod, benzoin take the backstage, they constitute more of the smoothing and rounding of the perfume, more of being negligible to the nose due to modern restrictions. Spectacular sillage even when sprayed on paper. Peppery, smoky, spicy, always deserves a place in my collection.

Marrakech in a bottle.

gillbert
gillbert

i don't know if this perfume is been reformulated or not. just bought it last two weeks. this perfume is absolutely for mature person. really strong balsamic scent in the opening, after an hour i can smell the flowery note. yes, it has the sweetness but not sugary way. really warm, rich, sophisticated, spicy and smoky. it last amazingly on my skin. it's remind me Chanel N˚22 but not exactly similar.

tp53
tp53

My girlfriend tried this on while we were at the mall earlier today. It's an extremely attractive scent that I associate with a woman (25+) who knows what she's doing. I wish this scent was worn more often that the typical fruity and vanilla scents. Overall, YSL Opium is a very appealing, sensual scent. Although one may consider this ann "old lady scent," it certainly is not; it's IDEAL for formal occasions and dates.

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

I have never smelt the original Opium, so I have nothing to compare this to, but I almost dismissed this one, as on paper, this smelt cheap and vulgar and strong to me, and I was almost convinced that it wouldn't suit me at all; however, on my skin, it was a different story entirely. I surprisingly really liked this. Opium is sexy, sultry and seductive. Wear this one to seduce.

The beginning is characterised by a blast of strong resins and spices, before it settles beautifully on the skin. It smells a little bit dusty, a bit dark, a bit spicy, a bit warm. I found it very difficult to determine notes, as everything is well-blended, but myrrh is definitely present throughout, and I did detect some amber as well. The florals keep everything smelling clean. I had a lovely soft to moderate cloud of scent following me around all day and the scent's longevity is for about 8-9 hours.

The only thing that I found lacking for me personally was that I would prefer a more white floral heart. Perhaps the original would satisfy me more, I don't know. But I am reminded of one of the editors of Paris Vogue, Carine Rotfield, who layers Opium with Serge Luten's Fleurs d'Oranger. This combination sounds perfect for me, too. I am now inspired to try this, and soon :)

artisy
artisy

I love the new flanker, Black Opium, even though people seem to be very divided on it.

In an attempt to share my new scent love with my boyfriend, we walked up to a perfume counter and I spritzed some Black Opium and had him take a sniff. Hiding behind it was Opium.

I HAD to experience this and get my own take and see why people said it the two smelled nothing alike.

They are very different indeed! This was a blast of spice in my face with menthol. Very harsh but mellowed by some myrrh.

Again, I had my boyfriend smell and he almost instantly commented, "Vicks vapor rub in a bottle."

I think it's more refined than Vicks, but it is definitely not for everyone! I'll stick with Black Opium personally, but there was something enchanting about Opium. It's something I might want to revisit in another decade of life.

*_Lilly_*
*_Lilly_*

Oooh how I want another bottle of this addictive juice! I wish I could find a suitable dupe because I cannot buy one right now :/
LOVE this stuff. Wore it in my 20's and my son dumped my bottle all over my carpet (funny now I guess cuz my room smelled good lol) but I smell this and it just speaks to me... I can't explain it.

elisita
elisita

last survivor quality scent. love ..

alxkwst1996
alxkwst1996

This is definitely not a playful or juvenile fragrance. I find Opium to be on the more serious side. When I put this one on it makes me feel mature and assertive. I think it may have to do with the heavy spice notes that's in it. I haven't smelled the original Opium, so I can't really make a comparison between the two versions. Reformulated or not this one still has character. Great performance too.

Scent: 9 / 10
Projection: 8 / 10
Longevity: 9.5 / 10

Marco<3
Marco<3

Un profumo che fa parte di un'altra dimensione.
Opium, è istinto, determinazione, potenza, opulenza e maestosità.
È inutile che io scriva, che lo amo, nella sua versione corrente, sia in edt, edp ed estratto.
Opium comunque è e resta una pietra miliare della profumeria, un vero capolavoro.

CAPOLAVORO IMMENSO anche la versione vintage.

❤️

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

This is really a new scent.

It bears no relation to the Opium of past. Its thin, synthetic and feels like someone made a holographic representation of what they thought Opium was like.Hard core fans of the original generally will not find this pleasant.

I really wish they marketed this as a different fragrence in a bottle, or a flanker. To take the name Opium with its Iconic reputation is like a young girl trying to wear the Queens robes. It just doesnt work in that way.

Try it but without the expectation of the Opium name. That is the proper, fair perspective to view this fragrance.

I grew up with the Origional Opium, so this modern formulation personally leaves it flat for me because of the synthetic nature. I realy wish someone with all this technology they tout could do justice to the original.

theladymay
theladymay

I have to laugh when I read reviews of Opium saying it's definitely for mature women. It may or may not be by today's standards - I really don't classify perfume that way. I just know that when it came out and during the height of it's popularity it was anything *but* an older ladies perfume. It was what we wore to the clubs - which in those days some of us could legally go to at 18. Now girls of that age have Black Opium and La Vie Est Belle I guess, and I still drench myself in the original version of Opium. I wonder what will be in style 25 years from now.

I'm happy that people find joy in the current version of Opium, though having loved the original and worn it non-stop for several years I don't. There is tons of vintage available for people like me to whom it does make a difference. It's simply a fact that this version is quite different than the original. If you want to bring your current bottle over and smell it side by side with my vintage, I can show you. I'm not sure why it gets some people so upset to hear that. There's no reason to disrespect those of us who don't like this version, anymore than it would be okay for us to be disdainful of people who love it. It's a big world, with plenty of room for everyone ... even us malignant narcissists who don't think much of modern Opium. ;->

raiza1990
raiza1990

My 100th review o/
I can not believe what i am about to say, but...i like Opium.
I am still surprised. I am normally a floral fruity gourmand kind of girl. I like Fantasy by Britney Spears and La Vie Est Belle. I was thinking i would hate Opium with passion, but it actually conquered me. I totally understand now why it is a classic. I was thinking it would be disgusting and stinky or way too strong like many reviews say, but i think the sillage is ok and the fragrance is intriguing. I think the name suits it very well, it is really addictive. i could not stop sniffing my wrist the entire day. I have never smelled anything like it. It is gourmand in a strange way. savory i would say. The spiciness is not aggressive, but is pungent and sensual. It is comforting and exotic at the same time. And everything is very well balanced. Looking at the notes i would expect it to smell vulgar, but it is not cheap at all.Au contraire, it is rich and elegant. On me, it is very linear, but i am ok with that. I don´t get the fruits or the jasmine, it is basically carnation and spices.
I won´t buy it, first because i don´t know where i could possibly wear it, second, because it is really expensive, but i must admit it seduced me and it is really a masterpiece.

Calvini
Calvini

Today at a well known mall (after I had sprayed this on), 3 Muslim ladies rushed to the nearby counter and said "I smell oud!" While the salesperson struggled to help them out, I pointed them to MY direction and proudly informed them that this is Opium, a very popular amber fragrance since more than 20 yrs ago. Now, this may not be as good as the vintage (which I haven't tried), but if it attracts Middle Eastern visitors and mistaken it for oud, you know it's still a well-done Oriental!

wagner`s erda
wagner`s erda

I have to agree with the previous poster Jerrythecat on this one. I think this reformulation of Opium is really well done. It has just become a little more modern and is in fact less cloying than the original. I used to own vintage Opium in the 70s and I have a decant of the vintage. It smells great, but can indeed be quite penetrating. I love the new one because I can wear it during the day with out knocking anybody out. That familiar Opium smell just lingers and trails behind you when you walk. It's just perfect. I can't complain about this reformulation at all. It gets my thumbs up!

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Wow, reading all the previous reviews, Opium has never been more controversial! Some have thrown up their acidic bile to L'Oréal like Linda Blair in The Exorcist, while others have embraced the change and transition from vintage to new. Funnily and interestingly enough, it sounds that men's comments are more balanced than women's. I can understand that reformulations are annoying, but eh, Opium is not the only one this has happened to. We should be lucky that Opium still exists, as others have gone and will never come back: Ho-Hang by Bakenciaga, KL by Lagerfeld are long dead ones, both belonging to my youth in the late 70's.
Maybe the IFRA regulations are responsible for this, but there is also a marketing change here. Perfumes that existed in the 70's, 80's and 90's had to readapt themselves constantly to seduce mass markets compared to their older sisters like Guerlain and Chanel. Chanel 5,19 and Coco are almost indentical to their DNA, same as Shalimar and Mitsouko, even though they had too to change slightly. Unfortunately, juices produced in the 70's onwards have not been so lucky: Lancome, Rochas, Guy Laroche and YSL.
There is also a change in mentalities now as perfumes tend to be more and more unisex. They evolve to please both men and women and ultra florals/incense like Opium had to follow this trend. The current Opium for Men has nothing to do with Opium at all and should be banned.
So this leaves us with a reinvented Opium for women that I decided to buy and wear as a man. I LOVE IT so much, that I put it on the same affection level as my Shalimar. Its DNA is still there but the ferocious blast of the past has been contained and controlled. Opium will always remain Opium and I'm sure that in 20 years time it will be reformulated again!
Referring to a previous comment: between current Opium and the crap like Rihanna, Katy Perry, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga and the rest, my choice is made!

Rooslien
Rooslien

I was at the public bathhous the other day. Someone smelled sooooo good and when I turned to look who and what it whas, a womman hade a bottle of Opium sett on the mirror table. She smelled amazing. I have never tryed it on my skin but I shure will as soon as I gett a chance. It whas all verry unexpected and i would never have guessed. Crossing my fingers now that my skin will do the same as hers did with this fabules perfume.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Very close to the original without the complexity and animalic vibe. First I smelled the 70s version on my aunt, a woman of great personality and strength (all the Hatz ladies on my maternal side share these traits). It used to be her signature. In her youth she had raven black hair, dark skin and beautiful green slanting eyes, a quick perception and sharp intellect. How appropriate to have Opium as her signature! Though only at first year secondary School I was completely bowled over the beauty of the scent. This current version did not disappoint. It is not the same, but possess the same spirit as Sacre, a Smoky, resinous, spicy floral! The genius here is the way the carnation projects, it is amazingly tempered and mellowed by the myrrh, the 2 of them and
Oppoponax are combined to perfection while the cinnamon rounds up the lot in its spicy character. Vanilla adds to the spicy vibe, no gourmand stuff here, just gorgeous vanillic spice turning the main players into the creamiest of dreams!! This is a strong gem, as removed as possible from sugary fruit salads. A classic, like the haunting Greek and Roman sculptures a testament to The Eternal Beauty, away from trends and fads that eventually will run their course and get forgotten, NOT Opium, whichever version one chooses. Huge sillage and longevity, just the way I love it. Regardless of notes, one should try if not just for the experience! Pure sultry love in a bottle!

ArghJo
ArghJo

I was so upset that Body Shop weren't selling their poppy perfume anymore, but this smells exactly like it! I'm so happy!!

Duskfall
Duskfall

I find the constant moaning about reformulations pretty annoying and therefore I swore to myself I would never do it, but...I'm kinda gonna do it now nevertheless. :D I tried Opium today for the first time in ages and I'm baffled!

I used to sniff Opium at my grandmother's house when I was a little girl in the '80s. Somebody had given it to her as a gift and she never used it. Of course she didn't. I can't imagine why anyone would think that it would make a good gift for her because she was a very modest down-to-earth no-nonsense woman living in the countryside. She was a sweet person but definitely not "flashy" in any way. Anyway, the huge bottle was there, remaining full year after year and I used to take whiffs of it thinking that it has to be the most luxurious scent ever! So opulent, smooth and exotic...

For some reason I've pretty much ignored Opium ever since, but today the EdP caught my eye at a store and I decided to give it a go. Yep, it's still a powerhouse, but damn it's soapy! It actually grates on my temples with that overwhelming "high-pitched" soapiness. That's basically all I get from it. Nothing in Opium's current incarnation reminds me of that deep, warm and smoky oriental bliss I adored a long time ago.

Sooo... I'll end my "review" with questions: am I the only one who's getting smacked around by that extremely aggressive soapy note and, more importantly, was it always like that? Are the vintages a totally different story or did my memories of Opium grow sweeter with time?

p.s. I haven't had a chance to try the EdT. Maybe that one is better...

Shwets
Shwets

I tried the edp version as its been ages. This is probably the closest to the pre-reformulated edt but doesn't have that oomph. Still not bad even though less complex, it lasts long with good sillage.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

I really like this fragrance. Going by the many reviews, I was expecting a masculine vibe but what I found in this fragrance was a very soapy smell. It reminded me of a beautiful fresh smelling milled french soap. I found it very clean smelling, like I had been bathed in luxury, The more I wear it, I like it. I find it rather uplifting and it makes me feel good. I would wear this fragrance day and night. It is certainly a mood enhancer and that is something I always want to find in a perfume. My review is based on the EDT version.

Jurisprude
Jurisprude

This is a sharp, take no prisoners opening. It lacks the strong smoke that it predecessor had. But it nonetheless pulls a strong punch. I don't think it changed much. Still strong. Still beautiful. Still a glory for those of us who are perfume Enthusiasts. I will keep wearing it because of it's dry down beauty!! And I'll keep getting compliments too! Give the new Opium a chance I say! Joyous!

calensfragrance
calensfragrance

Opens very strong, sharp and spicy, but turns into this soapy body scent after a couple hours. Not sure if I am loving it.

Edit: Took a couple times, but now I am addicted to this. Two spitz on my body, and I instantly smell an ancient eastern spice cabinet being opened. Reminds me of the eastern medicine market in Shanghai or a restaurant in Sichwan. I am fond of spicy and peppery food, so this is great. A close sniff of my own chest almost made me want to sneeze. Elevates my mood, perfect for a cold raining day like today.

arteditors
arteditors

i think this perfume is so ambiguous and so unisex that it is an all rounder for creating a mystery and leaving streams as you walk by, and an aura full of statement, i am here and i am in control. whether man or woman, doesn't matter. carnations, carnations, carnations. this is the heart of this perfume. the beginning is of mandarine oranges, satsoomas or tangerines, call it whatever you want. resin, resin, resin for the end. when i want to go out and make a statement this is the one i wear. in fact i absolutely love me and become a true narcissist when i am wrapped in this one. in fact i am so excited with this perfume, it is the only fragrance i cannot sleep with as i become very alerted and cannot stop smelling it all over the bed sheet. so it's worn only when i go out late night as i return home and drop dead in bed. it lasts well until the mid morning. do not blind buy this, seriously not for everyone. opium is a well chosen name after all.

Juliana6
Juliana6

I guess this perfume shows how experienced and mature the reviewer is in the matter of perfumes. The first time I tried this (because I liked the bottle), I was shocked! Really shocked about all that quite masculine, strong, hot wave of incense, spices, dried citrus peels, carnation fields forever! I didn't accept this perfume because I was quite into sweet, non-offensive, a bit fruity and watery scents then. I knew next to nothing about the perfumes, about the ingredients, their mixtures, about the development stages etc. And I was younger then.
Now I'm 30, and shortly before my birthday an obsessive idea came to my mind - I want to try Opium one more time. I did it. And couldn't imagine how could I place it on the "dislike" shelf! Yes, no doubt -it is an exotic mixture of dried orange peels, expensive oriental spices and rare, aromatic incense, but it is also a warm, very sensual spell a woman wearing it can cast on the one she loves (or desires). Powerful, certainly not for everybody and maybe not for every day wear. For strong, open-minded, wise and elegant and a bit reserved personalities.
Reminds me a bit L'agent by Agent Provocateur- the same aromatic incense and mystery vibe.

Grece
Grece

This fragrance is a big disapointment to me.
I confess that I have never wore the original Opium, but this new version is absolutely horrible, I expected a lot more about it, It is like a men's cologne or something like that, I wanted spices, inciense, a bit of sweet and smoke. This is non of them, I think that it smells like Guerlain Shalimar but much worse, like a cheap lotion, I have tried it on me, on some friends (even my husband) and in a paper, Then I waited and waited but, nothing happens, It is like alcohol with powder. I have always wanted to buy this perfume, for years, but for any reasons, I have bought it until now. The last bottle of this in my country (almost) Even the bottle is horrible. Fortunately I own Tabu by Dana and Youth Dew by Estee Lauder to smell something spicy and warm in the winter. I really expected an Oriental mysterious miracle, but this is for sure not at all. I recommend Tabu by Dana if you want to enjoy an oriental market full of spices and cashmere fabrics. instead.

Neckromancer
Neckromancer

This smells like incense combined with half of the contents of my spice cabinet. And then something sour. I do think my grandma had something like this. I wouldn"t wear it, but I'm sure someone can wear it well. It makes me think of cold winters.

Vera Bosch
Vera Bosch

Smell it once and you'll fall in love the second time.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

Myrrh. I just learned my like for myrrh. No knowledge of the original Opium women and I'm glad. I had the men original. When I got this not even sure why? Thought 'spicy' and left it at that .. almost too much spicy. This is why it is fun to revisit perfumes you already have. Now my approach with Opium shall be a fresh one. It's Two kinds of myrrh at the heart and base? Oh. Yah. Going to spray some Right Now! Got some myrrh as an Arabian Oil and now it has someone to play with when I went to go Full Spicy! At least YSL changed the bottle with the reformulation? They offered a clue. It's All New to this nose.

Readysniffer1
Readysniffer1

There's no single perfume for the malignant narcissist. Or I'd only have one perfume! Just kidding. Perfumes are perfumes. Just like there's no one shoe brand, or lipstick, or handbag, for the malignant narcissist. It's a perfume. They're all just perfumes. I know I get carried away, too, but, why insult everyone who likes a particular perfume just because some you knew liked it? Or because you like a different perfume better?

katerina.katka770
katerina.katka770

This is my signature perfume for about 7 years now. For me this is very unigue scent, but I know it is not easy perfume. You either love it or hate it. I looove it for so many years now. Got bored a few times of it, but always coming back to it. This is winter perfume for me. Doesn't work for me at summer, but for me this will be always my Number one perfume. (and btw I'm not "Malignant Narcissist", as someone wrote in comment below... It's not very nice ofend someone else taste, but as you said - Peace :-)

K1
K1

Opium is a tremendous spicy/resinous fragrance with nothing particular to count from top notes. The fragrance born entirely mature at once with all the elements from heart. This oozes a giant impact on wearer. The more it goes, the darker it is, and no one could imagine such cogent effect rises from an animal-less composition.

It's quite strong and solid, fat balmy and waxy, vermillion-to-burnt-caramel-brown smoky and exotic by all mean. But why such idol is not intact while No5 is still on top? The answer lies behind the nature of oriental spicy fragrances with high resinous volume. This sort signifies a particular vibe from particular fashion which is now followed by least possible perfumistas. Nevermind, Opium is a phenomenon and a heavy duty resinous fragrance.
★★★★★

اوپیوم عطری هست شگرف ادویه ای و صمغی بدون هیچ نت بارزی که بشه به عنوان لایۀ شروع ازش نام برد. عطر به تمامی با تمی پخته و جا افتاده بدنیا میاد و همۀ عناصرش اونهایی هستن که توی قلب کار انتظارشون میره. این در ذهن اثری عظیم رو بجا میذاره. هر چی جلوتر میره تاریکتر میشه و کسی نمیتونه تصور کنه این حجم سنگین و اثر قدرتمند از عطری میاد که نت حیوانی نداره

اوپیوم شدیدا قوی و مستحکم هست، چرب هست و رزینی، با بوی دودی و به تمام معنا اگزوتیک. اما پس چرا بُتی مثل اوپیوم فراموش میشه و مثل عطر شنل شماره 5 و خیلی ها قدیمی تر از اون، مطرح نمیمونه؟ جواب پشت طبیعت عطرهای شرقی-ادویه ای هست که حجم بالایی از نتهای رزینی دارن. این نوع روایح علی رغم گیرایی بالا انعطاف لازم رو ندارن و بیشتر یادآور دوره ای خاص و حال و هوایی خاص هستن که فقط تعدادی از عطربازها دنبالش میگردن. با این همه اوپیوم یک پدیده و یک غول رزینی هست
★★★★★

Saltaire
Saltaire

Tested it yesterday and bought it right away. I don't know or don't remember the 70ies version, so I can't compare reformulation and original. The today version ist gorgeous enough, anyway. Carnation, myrrhe, patchouli and just enough mandarin to render it accessible. This is an absolutely wonderful scent. I truly understand the hype about it.

sygrid29
sygrid29

finally got a chance to test the new opium in our local mall this afternoon. it sit besides armani si and ralph lauren. the opium bottle tester is almost full and by sniffing it by the bottle turns people repulse. so the sa is stunned when i pick the opium bottle. she is surprised that im really loving it. for me, its not so strong as thr vintage one but still stands out among all the testers in that perfume counter. it is in good price with a big discount because the sa told me that nobody wants to buy it. but at the moment, im not into buying new perfume due to tight budget. for now, i'll just bathe with avon imari since they are on the same spectrum.

fire2heart

This is my second review about the current formulation. I have both the vintage and current formulations.

I love them both! Perhaps this latest batch I got is improved from a couple years ago. It is wonderful and has some complexity and depth to it that another current formulation bottle doesn't have.

If someone doesn't like their bottle of Opium, I'm more then happy to swap with them. Please contact me! :)

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

There is definitely something about this one.

I bought it a while a go now and was rather taken with it on my first sprays, but as the weather was warmer I was unsure about wearing it, as sometimes spicy fragrances can becoming overbearing in the heat.

Last night while out, there was a woman wearing it. All I kept getting trails of was like an incense and almost-coconutty redolence that was old school elegance and something sensual. I had to ask and it was Opium! I hadn't worn it in ages so had forgotten how lovely it is. After my friend dropped me home, I opened my bathroom cabinet to spray some on and was struck by that loveliness again. I think in the heat it actually works! The key is a light hand.

One thing about this bad boy is that it will last for ages so I feel it is FBW on that account as you shouldn't need much to get your point across and it lasts for ages. I love touching up fragrances throughout the day but think you would probably only need one touch up if that! This is the epitome of full bodied fragrance.

To be clear, this is the little brown bottle version - not the peach coloured one with the neroli/orange blossom addition.

oks-oks
oks-oks

I tested this today out of pure curiosity. I should say while it is a faint shadow of the initial YSL Opium, it is not too bad by itself. The initial one was a true masterpiece scent though I personally could not wear it as found it too heavy and overpowering. This modern one is interesting, strong and, to my mind, quite masculine. I don't see myself wearing it but I can perfectly picture a man with Opium on. Both silage and longevity are decent

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

I have not smelled the original Opium (one in the orange/red bottle) in decades. I obtained this new bottle of Opium and while a new reformulated version, I think YSL did an outstanding job continuing this perfumes integrity. That's not usually the case these days. While the lasting power of this one is not the same as the original opium (that had the strength to peel paint) this is not bad at all. Probably the best reformulation actually.

Opium is one of those fragrances that you either like or you hate. There does not seem to be any grey area on this one. I was a hater but now that I am older I am a lover. I always felt Opium was best for mature ladies and I guess now that I am getting to be one I can appreciate it much more. The flankers cater more towards the younger crowds.

Just to add I really dislike that spray cap. I prefer a bottle that has a removable cap with sprayer protected. I accidentally pulled the sprayer off a dozen times already ha!

shell_bell
shell_bell

I got a tiny sample bottle of this last year when I started collecting gourmands and HATED it! I was strictly speaking a candy & dessert girl and thanks but NO thanks to this spicy oriental piece. I stuck it far back into my dresser drawer and forgot about. Recently I remembered it and thought I'd give it a try.

Lately I got a small bottle of Kenzo Elephant and fell head over heels in LOVE! Craving spices and something different from the status quo I eagerly applied 2 tiny drops to my wrists and waited.
For the first 30 minutes to an hour I would sniff my arm and wrinkle my nose thinking, "Bleh at the soapy weirdness." No way is this gonna work for me, I concluded, and counted the minutes til I decided to scrub it off.

Then by some VERY lucky coincidence something happened. The power went off in the middle of the day on a Saturday. Naturally my kids acted like the world was coming to an end so I preoccupied myself having fun with them for about an hour til the electricity suddenly blinked back on!

I took another sniff of my arm and WOO HOO - HOLY MOLY, what is that GORGEOUS concoction?! Folks, this reminds me a LOT of Kenzo Elephant seeing as how they have the same notes, except this isn't as sweet on first application. Granted, the opoponax is STRONG but given about an hour to dry down that glorious myrrh blends beautifully with the amber and the true beauty of this perfume shines through.

Yep, I'm thanking my lucky stars for that brief power outage because this fits my new gourmand tastes to a T. A little of this in the chilliness of fall or better yet in the subzero cold of winter will keep anyone warm with its expertly blended series of spices!

sashenka1982
sashenka1982

I find this perfume comforting. It's like being wrapped in a blanket on a cold winter night, finally warm enough to dream of far away places that you have never visited but already knew them through smelling this incredible scent.

AlexisJane
AlexisJane

There are several things I would like to address in my review of this perfume, after removing my old review.

Most (not all) perfume lovers who review this new version of Opium, are either the type who loved 1977 Opium and loathe and detest 2009 Opium because they supposedly butchered it, or the people who think this is still the bees knees, the fans of 2009 Opium.

Of course, everyone's opinion is their own, and I can understand the complete upset. What the lovers of the original adored so much in the perfume itself, is not as it once was. I understand, I really, really do.

But that's not COMPLETELY the fault of the L'Oreal brand for the reformulation. Due to restrictions on certain ingredients, there are components in the perfume that have been taken away. And I do agree, to a certain extent, that it's a shame the original Opium is no longer available. I was a lover of the original formula too, but I would never bash people and say they have no taste if they like the new fomula as well.

Especially when I too really do love the new formula as much as the old one.

The newer version is only a bit sweeter, but I don't mind that. On my skin, it doesn't come up floral at all. It's completely oriental, and smells so close to the original on my skin, it's not even funny. Everyone's chemistry is different, and this transforms it into exactly what I missed from the original. Of course, it's not as potent as the original (I use the EDT), but I can still put this on, take a shower, go to bed, and wake up, and still find it lingering on my skin.

It's smoky, very smoky. It's very spicy, very woody, very heady, and in my mind, is still the glorified narcotic perfume that is Opium. Even if it isn't IDENTICAL to the orignal, they have at least done the reformulation justice with the ingredients they were still able to use in an attempt to replicate it.

My skin used to destroy even the original Opium into something that was reasonably moderate. This new Opium, last a long time, and projects somewhere between modertely and heavily, so that impresses me.

Even if it's not identical, Opium is Opium. It's delicious, rich, decadent and luxurious. It's the only perfume that I will knowingly bathe myself in, despite knowing how strong it is. Because I am THAT hooked on it. It's Opium.

On a side not, I noticed a few people camparing it to Tabu (a perfume I wear A LOT because of it's low price point and phenomenal sillage and staying power). I would wholeheartedly disagree with the comparisons, personally, because Tabu is a sticky, sweet, thick, spicy resin-slathered pile of tobacco leaves. Opium is more like someone throwing a display box full of cartons of incense onto a bonfire and tobacco smoke and someome blowing spices in your face, and is much drier. But it's addictive. And you want it all the time.

And honestly I also think the new bottle is beautiful too.

Is Opium still a powerhouse? Yes, but it's modernised. Timelessly modern but also classically dated at the same time. Is it still sexy? No doubt. Is it still carnal but classy? Absolutely! Is it too mature and grown up for someone of my age, at nineteen? Maybe. But I don't care.

Opium, to me, really is still a masterpiece. Opium's a work of art still, and even with this new version, providing they don't discontinue it, I'll always have it in my collection. I hope that lovers of the old Opium can understand that this perfume is still very much a masterpiece in the eyes of some, even if it isn't the way you remember it. And even if it's no longer for you, there are people who still love the new Opium just as much as the old.

NOTE:
If you live in Australia or New Zealand, in chemists, you can buy a perfume called 'Orient' by Australian Deco Fragrances. I'm not sure how far overseas you can get it, and I've never found even a slight trace of it online, being sold, or just details. It retails at $30AU for 100ml, and it smells very much like the original Opium (maybe a bit drier and smokier), and lasts a long time, with moderate sillage, if you can get beyond the chemical opening. Give that a go if you can get your hands on it.

Sweetlilbirdy
Sweetlilbirdy

I found a bottle of this perfume while going through my late grandmother's things when I was seventeen, and I've been in love ever since. I'm talking about the old, carcinogenic formula here. I haven't tried the new one and have no desire to.

My mother always hated when I wore Opium in high school, and now I get why. I get twice as many lecherous leers while I'm wearing it. It is intense, it's sexy, and wearing it says something about you as a person.

It's still not an every day scent for me, just because of how powerful it is. But for a date night or a board meeting, or anytime I need to feel confident and grown-up, it's my go-to choice.

briones
briones

one of the few good scents surviving ......

nero77
nero77

Grown up and in control...

Few designer perfumes today still have the power to give such an aura of "in control" than Opium by Yves Saint-Laurent. I am reviewing the modern Eau de Parfum here.

Opium is a very "grown up" fragrance to my nose, because it doesn't have the same sweet, innocent, sugary vibe of the modern female-marketed perfumes of today. It has a host of spices and resins. I get a lot of cloves and myrrh and oppoponax, with a juicy mandarin orange and soft lily-of-the-valley in the opening. I do detect carnation but more of the jasmine in the middle, with heavy, dominant amber in the base.

I would say the differences between this one and the vintage is that the vintage (to me) is the intense version, I would say. This is still a legend, but maybe tamed down for the modern generation. Absolutely wearable if you like dark, sensual, smoky, spicy fragrances. Not bad.

Amit Thakkar
Amit Thakkar

Last year i have gifted same fragrance to my dearest wife, She is loving it, Although this is one of the strong perfume, but have a different type of trance in this, like the name OPIUM...

Mind blowing lasting & notes are spicy & totally different, one can recognize easily. Sexy & intense notes,,, gr8 Job By YSL...

AnnaT
AnnaT

I have the modern edt version.

It starts off very soft, a bit spicy soapy. What bother me is there is some rubbery smell lingering from start to finish. I sample his perfume a few times and that unpleasant rubbery scent is always present. Granted the rubbery scent isnt big or aggressive but i just dont want to smell rubbery.

I would love this perfume san the rubbery note with a bit more spice...

Kentington
Kentington

Opium is a good example of how much marketing can influence our perceptions...I'd never paid much attention to Opium - because of the campaign and its reputation I'd assumed it was a big 80's feminine floral, a chinoiserie Shalimar for only the sexiest ladies. In reality, the current formulation strikes me as remarkably similar to another classic - Old Spice. A quick perusal of the note structure bears out my comparison - both are huge carnation fragrances with cinnamon, vanilla, and spices, and pretty comparably unisex, too. Despite the ultra-lush sexy campaigns, to me this fragrance evokes warmth and comfort more than carnality. Applied sparingly, I'd say it might even make a nice office scent. Bonus - while the iconic 1970's bottle is no longer in production, the new bottle design is gorgeous.

Circuit FAiry
Circuit FAiry

Opium – The four highly voted notes are the base for this magnificent fragrance. Incense with a touch of vanilla and the most gregarious carnation. The more I wear Opium the more I understand its layers of warmth and beauty. For me the carnation seems to have an almost cinnamon touch, it is sort of delish but not in cinnamon bun type of delish. I am waiting for cooler weather to see how its magnetism wears.

Estasia
Estasia

The best one in human history. Nothing else to add.

MeganD
MeganD

Bloody hell. I am slowly but surely turning into my mother. Last week I found myself mimicking her telephone voice, then I used one of her catchphrases ("stop getting your tits in such a tangle!") and now I've fallen in love with one of her signature scents.

I used to dismiss Opium as old and 'mom's perfume' (but would still wear it occasionally for the dry down) but all of a sudden I've had a change of heart. I think the recent cold spell we've had in my country has helped. Is there a perfume that's warmer than Opium? I think not. It envelops you in a blanket of spice and incense, simultaneously putting you at ease and then having you sniff your wrists excitedly. It reminds me slightly of sandalwood incense, and that smell that proper Indian spice shops have.

Two sprays is more than enough for a beautiful, long lasting trail of scent. I got 3 compliments the first day I wore it, and when I went to bath later that night there was still a good trace of it lingering.

It looks like mother really does know best in this case, though for the love of God don't tell her I said that.

archivist
archivist

You know what? This stuff is perfectly fine. I never really bothered with it, I just assumed it would be impossible to reformulate with any degree of love. I heard terribad things about it online. I moved on.

I was a hardcore, diehard Opium wearer in the 90s. I happened to pick up a bottle of this basically for free using my eBay bucks, and when it arrived I was super surprised to discover that it's basically just like it ever was, for the first 15 minutes or so. After that it burns off and turns into a pleasantly spicy soapy skin scent that probably has zero sillage but would be good to smell on someone you're hugging.

I can't even say that I miss the original because I developed a long-term exposure allergy to something in it, and it was giving me hardcore asthma. It took forever to figure out. I was at the point where I had a mechanical inhaler thing at home that I'd wear with a mask twice a day. Long story short, eventually I realized it was the perfume. When I put it on, my lungs and airway would spasm like I was being suffocated, and I'd see stars.

Not the kind of excitement I like in a perfume. But I loved it so much that even after I learned I was allergic to it, I'd still sneak a little bit now and then, just a little, like huffing it out of the cap. I ended up selling everything just to get it out of the house where I couldn't do myself wrong like that. So anyway. The reformulated version doesn't try to kill me. And I get to have my Opium back.

No, it doesn't last very long as Opium Classic - that one was a beast that could go all day and all night - but it lasts about as long as a few of your favorite songs and then kind of whispers down into something sort of rare - a mild-mannered spice/incense/resin skin scent that isn't overly masculine and isn't bombastic.

If I finish the 1 oz, I'll go for the biggest bottle next time.

Felina
Felina

This is very warm and pleasant, reminds me of "opium" incense sticks I used to burn as a teen but it's not soapy or synthetic smelling. Certainly unique and great for standing out in a crowd, not everyone can pull this off. Incredible longevity as well!

FruitDiet

I can't say enough good things about post-2010 Opium. Yes, I went through bottles of the vintage, but the fact is this just smells wonderful on men and women, lasts forever, and retains the character of the original. When you smell it, there is no doubt it is Opium. If it were marketed under a different name it would be hailed as a glorious, baroque throwback oriental. You can achieve the effect of the original by just wearing more. My dirty laundry all smells of sandalwood incense weeks later. I get told I smell like leather and incense.The powder effect that got "old lady" comments is reduced and the myrrh and incense amped up. This is more wearable in 2015 but still strange enough that you will stand out from the aquatic and Iso E cedar crowd and people with dull minds and uninteresting taste will wish you wore something else. I actually admire YSL's honesty in changing the bottle, making it easier to discern between new and old. Treasure this while we have it.

foxy_princess
foxy_princess

I'm 21 and this is hands down one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled, PERIOD. People have told me this fragrance is too mature for my age but idc. i feel like my nose is more advanced because everyone around me my age loves those fruity shampoo smelling Marc Jacobs fragrances (not that its a bad thing, I love me some Oh Lola). I feel like The Opium among Daises, exclusive and special and unique wearing this. It has a 90s feel to it, but also a ghostly dark vibe, idk how to describe it. But it reminds me of walking through a library filled with the smell of old dusty books and Turkish incense. So much classier than Chanel no5 and idc if someone doesn't like it. i will spray myself with this 10 times then choke them with the smell - LOL

this perfume is fit for a Queen

Revontuli
Revontuli

Having tried both the original and the revised edition of Opium, I definitely go for the latter one.

The original might be too masculine for some tastes and I belong to that group. And no, this doesn´t make me (or anyone who likes the newer version more) any less better in perfume taste! I have the EdT version and during the first hour it stays really sharp and a bit masculine, which was a bit scary for me. But then it turns into a wonderful, feminine, a bit "grown-up" burst of jasmine. I love it and definitely an "opium" this one. YSL can really create good perfumes when they really want it, otherwise you´ll just have Manifestos around...

Note: A really, really strong one.

x-x-x-ANGEL-x-x-x
x-x-x-ANGEL-x-x-x

This to me is just pure incence, and to my surprise that is wonderful. Reminds me somehow of my grandfather. Beautiful fragrance.

ana05
ana05

Too much myrrh in this fragrance. It reminds me of church as they use myrrh there.or in Camden market. The smell is the same as one of those incense sticks they use. Basically not for me. I wouldn't like to have a pleasure of sitting on a train next to a person wearing this fragrance. It would make me sick.

vaniljapulla
vaniljapulla

The EDP somehow arouses memories of a smoke sauna right by a lake during the Nordic midnight sun festivities. Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense invokes those same olfactory memories - a wood heated sauna, by a lake, surrounded by birches, pines and spruces, and the midnight sun. Opium EDT is more like a hazy dream of that clear memory with its opening citruses and more delicate notes. I need the EDP, the EDT isn't sufficient enough to satisfy me.

nif1
nif1

Opium is as masculine as they come . It's hard to believe that it was ever marketed as a woman's fragrance. None the less it's a great scent and extremely genderless imo

moonprismpower

excusee moi but this is so fucking good I'm reviewing it again, all you balloon poppers be damned.
I'm wearing this to bed after a shower, burning a stick of satya super hit incense, and i am in heaven in 1977.
this fragrance is one of the few that still leaves a palpable scent trail in its wake and lasts for literally days, and through showers. everything it touches will smell like opium. my bed has the most intoxicating, powdery, silky, smoky smell to it now thanks to opium. this is what a woman's bed SHOULD smell like.
I know one thing for sure: i am NOT waiting 6 months until christmas to buy this. I WANT MY OPIUM AND I WANT IT NOW.

moonprismpower

opium got a facelift, and she looks beautiful.

i'm testing this (eau de parfum) for the first time in many years. this, along with chanel's coco (1984) are easily the two best offerings on the wall at sephora, by miles.

first of all, the quality of the ingredients is obviously outstanding, YSL did an absolutely amazing job reformulating this. it is absolutely the opium i remember, but softer, more plush, much more wearable. it somehow never smells synthetic, even though it must be in this day and age. there's no more waiting hours for it to dry down to something gorgeous, it happens within minutes now. it smells like plush, dark velvet. whatever the "cat piss" acrid top note in the original formula was has been removed, and that is a good thing in this case. this opium is smooooth. there is not a hint of bitterness or anything acrid in this formula. i've taken two showers since i sprayed it on (2 sprays) and it's still going strong. the longevity and sillage are just outstanding.

the new flacon is absolutely gorgeous as well, it was desperately in need of an update. as classic as the original opium bottle is, it always screamed early 80s to me. the new bottle finally does opium some justice. it's an obvious reference to the old splash flacons with the see-through circular window, executed perfectly. don't get me wrong here, the old flacon is still beautiful, iconic and perfect for the old opium...but this is not the old opium. new juice needed a new bottle.

people who are complaining that the scent has been radically altered, are, for lack of a better term, tripping. this would never be mistaken for anything other than the legendary YSL opium, but it's been given a facelift that was in my opinion necessary if YSL wants to keep the current and future generations as interested in and addicted to opium as our mothers were in the 70s and 80s. props to YSL for keeping it current, I'm thrilled that this has become something i can now actually wear instead of just admiring it from afar on more mature ladies who pull off the original with aplomb.
for those mourning the death of pre 2009 opium...don't panic. vintages are everywhere, reasonably priced and in great shape.

opium is very soft, smoky, and powdery. exactly what i would imagine a plush turn of the century opium den to smell like. i'm getting mostly frankincense and myrrh, but it is softened beautifully by a lovely vanilla and jasmine.
while there are some bad reformulations out there, this is not one of them.
this smells simply BEAUTIFUL on me, even in this heat and humidity. this is going on my christmas list without a doubt. i can't wait to wear this stunning classic in cold weather. this would be amazingly sexy on a man but it's so good that i want it all for myself!

better than coco, better than youth dew, better than cinnabar, LONG LIVE OPIUM!

Wheaters
Wheaters

First blast is a heavy hitter. Very incense-y and powdery.
Dry down is merely everyday 80s talc. Disappointing.

twowendy
twowendy

I bought this not knowing that they had changed the smell once I received it in the mail I put it on for it was one of the ones I use to use all the time I was shocked when I put it on it did not have the smell I remember for my now husbaned use to go crazy when I wore it he said it was very sexy smell & he use to know when I walked into his house he is not keen on it now so not happy about the change

Lisilou
Lisilou

Smells expensive and a little exotic. A perfect every day scent for all occasions. I used to help my mother clean our church mid-week as a child. Reminds me heaps of the overall smell of my church after the church had been locked up for days. For me it conveys the wooden pews, limp flowers, the lingering scent of old ladies on their lap rugs. It is a comforting, powdery skin scent that could not offend. Lasts for hours, survives a shower. I keep sniffing my wrist. Would love to smell it on a guy!

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

This version is much more tamed down than the original which I tried many years ago. Though die hard fans will probably hate that it is much weaker than it's former glory more modern noses may find the appeal in this now as it is much easier to apply without waiting a good hour or so for it to settle like the opium of old. Soft sandalwood, peppery opponax and a raft of different spices, soft sensual, feminine/masculine and great for winter. The bottle is gorgeous.

Sinotah
Sinotah

This fragrance is like a cat to me. Yes, a cat.

The one moment she is so soft to my skin, lingeres around me in a purring way. Indulging me in her vail of mysery. A moderate sillage and floats playfully around me, seducing, tempting and gathering curious looks around me. Warm scents of myrhh, amber, flowers and a lovely vanilla. Outstanding blend!

The other moment she is like a cat that doesn't like to be picked up and starts wiggeling to get out of my arms. She hisses and walks off, poiting her rear at me and... Oh well, you know, getting me the scent of 'her marking terrotory'... With that, I really do get the smell of 'that' and a very old, dusty boudoir that has been not cleaned in 50 years.

Sigh.. Oh well, I love her anyway and her cat-like manners. This one will always be a loving piece of art to me, because she intrigues me. Her moods can swift so fast with my skin, I really do not take her lightly in any way and have the deepest respect.

pinktoe
pinktoe

@mmclean

I also have the EDT that I bought at a legit department store and it doesn't have the black rod. So, chances are you have the real thing. Cheers!

Mmclean
Mmclean

Question. I have the EDT version. Same bottle but no black rod in the middle. Is this real opium? I can't find it on this site. But it is on the YSL site. Is it very different from. The EDP? I just love the one I am using and find it's longevity really great. Thanks!!!

Edit**

This review is for the EDT version: I love it. Okay not really a review, more like singing praises. There is something about this frag that makes me feel like I have put on a power suit and can do anything. It is not for the faint of heart, and you would need to be careful how much you use as it not super office friendly. It is in your face, check how awesome I am. :)

@Jaradona
Thanks! It says 'for women' but it's easily unisex! I think it'd be absolutely perfect for men as well.

francie79

Jaradona, I know that this doesn't have coffee in the notes but on my skin the spices almost take on a coffee/ spicy chai type smell. I'm not saying it will smell like that on everyone and I'm sure it's a body chemistry thing. I just know that I adore this scent!

Jaradona

@ daisyvision nice description.
I have a male friend who liked this one very much.
He even told me that when he sampled it, he loved it that he wished to erase "for women" and change the phrase to "for men":).. it is that good, "in fact i thought of the same thing".

daisyvision

Judging by the name and gorgeous bottle design, Opium is exactly what I expected it to be: Deep and smoky, ancient and exotic... It immediately evokes imagery of ancient Egypt, Myrrh and Frankincense. Even though I've only just tried Opium for the first time, it's extremely nostalgic for me. It smells exactly like 'Earth Lore' - The smoky, incense-laden shop I frequented as a curious teenager, which was stocked with small Egyptian & Buddhist trinkets, crystals, and books on witchcraft. Opium has the same mystical elements, and is an utterly phenomenal aromatic experience.

massimilianoinquieto

Opium ha subìto tante riformulazioni che devo riscrivere le mie recensioni.
Adesso lo trovo nuovamente interessante, caldo, durevole, piu profondo e elaborato rispetto alla versione del 2009.
Non è come l'originale ma sempre utilizzabile con piacere.
Opium mi ricorda il sole estivo di mezzogiorno, caldo afoso,polveroso, affumicato, avvolgente come pochi e denso, inebriante.Adatto anche agli uomini.

Jaradona

@francie79 excuse me, sorry if I disturb but.. aren't you talking about black opium? it is the one with coffee note, not this one, cause i smelled this one before and i like it quite a lot. I intend to buy it as a birthday present for my young sister. This one opens with strong dominant balsamic resin opoponax, and ton of amber, jasmine and incense, followed by faint ciruses, and I don't get myrrh (which should be harsh), nor patchouli nor vanilla. and absolutely no coffee.
So oriental, unique and weird in a lovely way.

francie79

I blind bought opium several months ago for I was craving a clovey/spicy scent and this is just plain heaven. On my skin the cloves and spices take on a coffee type smell which I am just wild about. I was even in line at walgreens one day and the checkout girl said to the customer in front of me, "Mmmmm, something smells kinda like coffee. Do you smell that?" The customer agreed that he smelled it too. I knew that it was me...lol. I just bought a backup bottle of this one in case further reformulation takes it toll which would be a tragedy. *sigh*...I love this one so much!

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

New opium still is a cloud of oriental smoke, gorgeous myrrh, sensual cinnamom and vanilla. It has a beautiful trail and an good sillage, but the smoky facet is heavier than the spicy one. Some faint florals are in the heart too. The composition seems simpler than the vintage that's obvious, less "huge", the bay leaf, the spicy clove, the heavier amber are almost gone, but the character is retained but made more contemporary:)
A showstopper.

scent: 9+/10
longevity: 7/10
sillage: 7/10

I know how it feels when you loose your own perfume because of re-formulation.
I remember old Opium since many years and I still have a mini of EdT from the 80s that smells just as before.
For me Opium was never a love of mine. I appreciated it but I was very Young and while I loved Shalimar, Opium smelled too spicy, strong and suffocating.
I used the term "old lady" without knowing much. I simply didn't like the smell enough to wear my mini and I smelled it evrywhere on many ladies.
Today I wanted to smell it again, the new formula of course. I'm revisiting many perfumes and it's quite humorous to me that a perfume that dates back to the '70s is now re-formulated exactly like one from the '90s and someone put in the same category: the non-original, not as it used to be.
I tried the Eau de Parfum in a light Golden tester. all this Opiums are indeed confusing. Is it a strategy?
So I tried Opium EdP and I was positively impressed because from a non-lover's part I can say it smells like Opium. Softer, less harsh, less pungent (still too pungent for me), very wearable and not stale.
It's still a violently spiced carnation, with White flowers and a resinous drydown. The resinous drydown is very interesting because it smells like the chopped myrrh to burn and even more like the stuff that my mother used to make a Nativity scene at Christmas 40 years ago. It's a mix of vaguely stale resins.
IMO Opium can still be called Opium, only made in a modern way, but I know that true lovers of it can notice every bit of their scent, like for me it is with Samsara and Dolce Vita.
After 4 hours and scraped with soap is still going steam on my skin, stubborn just like original Opium and the projection is not tamed.

FruitDiet

I went through bottles and bottles of pre-2009 Opium. Honestly, it's tough to complain about this reformulation 6 years later when it's typically the strongest, most striking and interesting thing available at Sephora/Ulta/Macy's or what have you. I'd reserve my hatred for insipid modern fragrances created for people who hate perfume, fragrances that don't last and don't make any kind of impression. I haven't bought a new bottle as I have no shortage of oriental spices, but I am considering it. This is certainly better than the newest iteration of Kouros.

maria_aaa
maria_aaa

My mother loves this so I love it because it reminds me of her! I am only 22 years old and this is a muskier smell so I would say that I wouldn't wear this everyday. But this is awesome for a cold day. I smell spicy woods wrapped in a warm blanket. The only downside is longevity for me. I sprayed it on my wrist last night before bed and woke up this morning and its no longer there.

aber19

Horrible compared to the original formula. What do expect when L'Oreal has taken over and is destroying all their classics to save money. Unfortunately, the price tag does not justify the quality of perfume. It will not surprise me that this will become discontinued like Belle Opium.

victoria.mei1992
victoria.mei1992

In dry down smells like old perfume and also I detected gardenia's smell which make ir worse.

LizzieDee
LizzieDee

Soft, spicy oriental. The interesting thing is that is practically all dry down. I couldn't stand this in the 1980s - so unsubtle, like a punch to the nose, and smelled sour on me, like cat's urine. I can't tell if it is the re formulation or my tastes have changed, but the bitter punch has gone completely and this is really enjoyable to wear. It is, I think, much the same on everyone who wears it but now in a good way, not a bad way. Oddly for an oriental, in my opinion it isn't at all sexy or sensuous. A good daytime perfume for winter.

Sister of the moon
Sister of the moon

Tried this out earlier today but I'm not sure if I will purchase. The perfume itself reminds me of the eighties - I remember my mother wearing something similar although it may have been Youth Dew. I think this perfume also resembles Coco in some ways (omitting the incense note). I know this perfume has a reputation for being a powerhouse so my issue with it may seem strange - it does not last very long on my skin! I do however adore the scent :)

fire2heart

I have the vintage opium perfume and love it. I needed to know myself what the difference is between the old and new so I bought the new reformulation.
True, it doesn't have the complexity of the original but there is no mistaking this as not being opium . I think they did justice to it considering the stupid regulations they have to work around.

If you don't like your bottle of opium perfume, inbox me and maybe we can do a swap. I'd make special considerations of some of my have list, or I'd be open to buying it if the price is right.

MsBacall
MsBacall

The crisp days and super cold nights have been perfect pairings for Opium. I have owned this fragrance for many years, but it is reserved for super special occasions. I find this perfume to be comforting and hypnotic. I wear this when I want to be engulfed in solace or warmed on cool days. My chemistry loves this scent. It blends beautifully to a rich, spicy, and nuzzle inducing scent. If I feel adventurous and earthy, I will layer it with a Frankincense & Myrrh oil I have. Opium lends itself to incense and spicy, but on me it develops a kind of sweetness. Not gourmand, by any stretch, but it does have sweet quality to it. When I purchased this scent, the sales girl said, “Opium is for a distinctive woman.” She was right on. I don’t think I have ever smelled this on another woman or man, especially in my age bracket. I am in the younger crowd. If you are looking for something that is distinctive, sensual, and different check out this scent. If you wear only fruity floral, this may scare you, but you may find a whole new you…

1skyblue
1skyblue

I smelled a lot of expensive colognes today at Nordstroms and Macy's and some may have had some higher end ingredients and way higher price tags but this one scent really grabbed me as an award winner. The sales gal gave me a sample and I will go back and buy it, One day. Just fantastic. I am a man and I love it. Yes, it has a gypsy vibe but it also has a very, not in America any more vibe, almost transports you to the Sahara.

PerfumeAddict999
PerfumeAddict999

So, After having the original formula Opium for many years, I decided to give this reformulation a try.
Lets just start off saying, that the original Opium, is/can be harsh, like a very pretty, spice-market- THORNBUSH. Its sharp, peppery and has vetiver coarsing through its veins. To me its like what a gasoline flavored perfume would smell like. Mind you, I love Opium once its settled down, but still harsh for others and dare I say it can smell old lady to others, (not in my belief though) and its a great coverall if you forgot your deodorant or smoke cigarettes.
The Reformulation, I had to give it a try. To my liking, They actually did it justice, as I have been disheartened by all the reformulating shenanigans going on. It is the original Opium at heart, but it is a smoother Opium. Instead of that shocking prickling sensation to your nostrils and sinuses like the original, the new one is like a Velvety Soft Opium, Its no longer a sillage Hiroshima Bomb of a perfume, but a soft spicy oriental like it should be. Dare I say it, Kudos for reformulating this. I am not against the original, I have some of my own, but I had to give this new one a chance, I did, and I liked it.

Tessla
Tessla

I found an almost unused, 50 ml bottle of this at a local consignment shop. It's a circa 2012 bottle, so of course a reformulation. Despite that, I took a chance on it, because it was well under $20 and the initial test spritz didn't smell ruined. (In my climate, that's always a concern.)

Before bed, I sprayed it three times... once on each wrist, and once on the cleavage. A bit excessive, I discovered as I was immediately enveloped in a rich, spicy, almost palpable cloud of fragrance.

I had odd but pleasant dreams all night, and every time would wake to this lush, powerful fragrance filling my head. Taking my nightshirt out of the hamper this morning for laundry day, it still smells gorgeous-- I've yet to see if Opium can conquer the power of laundry soap and a dryer, but I wouldn't be surprised.

To my nose, it smells almost like a man's cologne, but of the very best sort. I'm looking forward to wearing it again, this time a touch more judiciously, to properly experience its nuances.

Reformulated or not, this smells like lots of money and high-class, discreet decadence to me. It deserves its place as a modern classic. It's certainly earned a place on my permanent shelf, though as potent as it is, this partial 50 ml bottle may last longer than I do!

An aside, but since I bought this day before yesterday, I've had Emilie Simon's song "Opium" stuck on involuntary, intermittent repeat on the mental radio. Her crystalline voice and the ethereal melody don't suit this perfume (though the lyrics certainly do.)

No, a better musical theme for this perfume would be Marlene Dietrich growling "Falling in Love Again," and if oversprayed? Madeline Kahn slurring "I'm Tired" from 'Blazing Saddles'.

arzacu
arzacu

Just a couple of sprays and I'm in studio 54...

Amazing, opulent and rich, barroque and lustful...

Love it.

amylouise_
amylouise_

My mother has worn this fragrance for over 25 years (only in the wintertime right around Christmas). Never in my widest dreams did I think I'd pick this bottle up! The beauty manager in fragrances recommended it. It's mature, but in a classy, sophisticated way. Upon first spray, I get a musky whiff, but once it settles into the skin, it's smoky, woodsy and spicy. This is definitely a winter fragrance designed to be worn at night [maybe sitting in front of the Christmas tree in a warm sweater, as my mother like to say.:)]. I really like it!

Nekhbet
Nekhbet

This was my signature perfume back in time and I just discovered it because of a lady who was walking in the street one afternoon and she left that awesome trail of scent, I had to ask her what she was wearing. And she did answer: OPIUM. It was the first time that I could smell something that would become my signature for long time. Sweet, woody, mysterious and long lasting! I first had a sample and would use it on my hair ends, the night or evening, if I had to go out. During that summer I would wear it every night and it was a great success. I loved the soaps as well, they had a glorious scent. Then after a while I changed to Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain, but I would always keep a bottle of Opium on my vanity. Then, the formula changed, it did not smell the same, at least not to me, and it did not last long, so the sillage became less 5. I since look for vintage small bottles of Opium every time I can afford it. Once i bought Cafe and it has a lot of similarities with the Old Opium perfume. Anyway, Opium is a chef d'oeuvre in the world of perfumes.

georgequeue
georgequeue

As a man, I can surely say original Opium is WAY BETTER than Opium Pour Homme!!!

I couldn't help testing this juice today, and I was impressed by how nice it smells (I found it sweet and powdery, but it's not cloying); this fragrance strongly reminds me of a deodorant cream by Elizabeth Arden mothers used back in the eighties, which I used to sniff from time to time and was in my mom's closet.

It's been said Opium can be worn by men, and I completely agree. You can feel the sandalwood, the citruses, the jasmine, the incense, and the pepper notes, which are really pleasant and not overly sweet (as opposed to Opium Pour Homme), besides not being exclusively feminine. As I was given two pieces of paper where both the EDP and the EDT were sprayed, the scents are less intense and therefore projection is far softer, and they smell different than they do when applied on skin. Even so, they gratefully surprised me.

In summary, it's a great classic fragrance that is not for everyone - or maybe it is!

Rating: 8.5/10

Eaugirlspirit

My husband wears Paul Sebastian for men, and it has an uncanny resemblance to this. It is a vivid dupe, really. I wanted to add Opium to my collection because I love warm orientals and this shook its generation with its uniqueness. However, I find myself thinking that I smell like my husband when I wear this which is nice, but I like to have my own distinct feminine signature smell.
I told him that he can dive in when he runs low on PS.
I think I like the EDT better than the EDP because it is more floral and feminine. It has more development on my skin and smells similar to Chanel Coco Noir. Unfortunately I bought the EDP thinking, 'sweeter, richer, more intense'. Ah, well.

HotPozzum
HotPozzum

I have Opium Vapeurs de Parfum and when I saw the original Opium on sale - I thought I just have to try it but sadly this perfume is definitely not for me. I love the idea but not the reality! As soon as I got into the car (after 2 light sprays) my husband was like "Ugh what is that? Wash it off NOW!". It smelt very musty/powdery to me with no distinct spicy notes at all. Perhaps the bottle was off? I am disappointed but I do love it's flanker.

joenick68
joenick68

This is more manly than the one for men and is the woman's scent.. funny.

prairiebellecandle
prairiebellecandle

Having flirted with Opium over the years, I finally took the plunge and bought a wonderful giftset from Dillards last Friday. It it the edp version and a full-size cream. OMG! I love it so. Deep and smokey, incense-laden, warmth envelop me. I don't know if it's drasticaly different than the 1977 one, but I KNOW it's the best of the spice-scents out there for me. I used to LOVE Obsession, but after its reformulation, I could no longer stand the mid tones or dry down on me. The sweet true vanilla seemed gone and a husk of it's former lingering warmth remained. I tried to wear it 10 more times at least, but could not. Glad I did not know original Opium to compare it to, because this scent is giving me so much joy (quite like my love affair w/ Obsession) ...... It is just so yummy and perfect! and sileage and longevity are outstanding. A true ol' 80's perfume experience!

Ahlamsarah
Ahlamsarah

I never thought i would get such a compliment for OPIUM...i've a minature of it and yesterday before bed, i dosed myself with OPIUM but i was afraid that my husband won't like it since it's a little bit "granny smell", instead, he gave me the most beautiful comment about this perfume, he was like " what in heaven is this smell? it entered directly to my heart, this is what's called a real smell" , and i was so happy about it :) considering to purchase a big bottle soon.

This is a strong, a little old-fashioned myrhh-amber bomb. It reminded me of scented candles and incense.
One of the classics in new formation. I find it mature and sophisticated, it's not the most youthful one.
Also kind of unisex, men could easily wear it too.
I guess this is not the best scent for me, but an interesting one to try anyway.
Similar to some Serge Lutens fragrances.

RosemaryVesper
RosemaryVesper

Longevity: incredible, always changing.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago. Up until this point Winter has always been the season for Shalimar, Coco and Mitsouko for me. I took Opium off the drugstore shelf somewhat sceptically as I do with pretty much everything now: as far as I was concerned, it was never going to contend with my classics and thus wouldn't be worth the money. But Opium shocked me. The myrrh in it seems swathed in honey, lemon and pepper simultaneously. And despite the bitter, balsamic character of it, it is surrounded by something warm and sweet. I'm going to use a strange analogy to illustrate what I'm trying to say. The sweetness in this scent (and I am talking about the modern day Eau de Parfum - sadly I have not the money in my life to track down the vintage version) to me comes across a little like a honeyed Bourbon drink. It warms you totally, but burns just a little to wink at you and remind you not to get too comfortable.

I'm looking forward to wearing this over Christmas as the cold sets in, by the fire under some twinkling lights, wrapped up in a silver fur and this incesty scent, bourbon in hand. Thank you YSL!

tatonnement
tatonnement

My skin chemistry does not mesh well with this perfume.

I recall my mother wearing this religiously growing up when it was in the older bottle. She stopped several years back and switched to CK Euphoria. I recently purchased Opium because I was mesmerized how it smelled on my mother when I was young. Sad to say the scent is extraordinarly different. Even my mother cannot get back into Opium, not sure if it's because something was altered in the original formula or if our scent profiles have changed. Either way, I decided to give it a try. HORRID smell on my skin - suffocating, chemical, rancid with overload of cheap sandalwood. Instantly gave me a headache but I will say the longevity of this one is immense for the price you pay. I couldn't scrub hard enough. Even after several hours post scrubbing I could still smell it, the dry down wasn't any better then the initial migrane inducing boom. Returned it stat!

Odelia
Odelia

This thing is amazing. First of all, let's talk about longevity and silage (HUGE). second of all, for me it feels like a 3-in-1 perfume. It is so complex, very incensy in the beginning, middle notes more dark floral and a very very sexy sort of ambery woody dry down but still holding on to that hint of carnation and incense. One must definitely test in on the skin and give it some half an hour before judging. In any case, very very unique fragrance.

Bublegum
Bublegum

I finally smelled the reformulated version that everyone is whining about. OK I will tell something as a woman/girl that I am using Opium since my teenage years. I am kind of doomed to use Opium even if I don't want to since it is my father's favorite and always buying more and more for me (I seriously don't know what was he thinking buy this to a 13 year old girl but anyway). So having worn so much Opium in my whole life, I should have been start whining too. But not really. Yes the nw formula is weaker indeed in the meaning that the perfume has a little weeker sillage (yeah it went from enormous to just big) and smaller longevity. Yeah you will just smell half a day instead of the whole day. But in terms of smell, it really is identical. You either need to have a very picky nose or just dislike reformulations in general or be a whiner in order to notice that much of a difference. Meaning also that someone who is not as picky as the rest will just say: "Oh you are wearing Opium right?" Especially the opening is the same. Maybe the older one was more spicy? But I don't believe that people that they will smell you in the street/work etc will notice the note that went "wrong". For me it still is the same perfume and still stands above the rest of the typical/default perfumes that they are out there.

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

Yes, the scent is weaker than the original Opium of 1977.

But it is still the original fragrance, which stands out among the current smells for girls but not for women with attitude.

I have noticed that the smell functioning equally well for men (thanks myrhh and amber...!)

Maeva
Maeva

@amine.bz6:
Of course, why not? I actually know many men that wear this. One of them even told me that for him Opium pour Homme is much more "feminine" than this one (maybe because of the fruity notes?).

However, I don't think there's such a thing as "masculine" and "feminine" scents. Our nose only distinguishes between good and bad smells. It's only cultural prejudice that makes us censor our tastes. We should only wear the scents that make us happy, so if Opium makes you happy just go for it! :)

nitschevo
nitschevo

My mom uses Opium since it came out I believe. I love the smell of it and think that although the newer versions are not as "loud" as the old ones they're still great maybe a bit more wearable because sillage is toned down from 10 to 8 ;)

I'm 28 now and finally feel that I could get away with it! So this one is on my wishlist now. In my opinion Opium is all a scent should be: comfy like a blanket, alluring, sexy and a confident booster. Ah, I feel so decadent wearing this! :) It's absolutely unique and gorgeous!

amine.bz6
amine.bz6

Please can a man wear this one ?

Rebemario
Rebemario

My my my!! Get the smelling salts because I do believe I've got the vapors!! I am in love!!! An old friend of mine from high school used to use her mom's Opium which I thought was ludicrous at the time. For me, it was nice but for a woman who had lived a little. I could tell even then, it was for a woman of the world who had been through a few things and had stories to tell!

Now as a woman in my forties I have stories to tell and Ive gotta say, this perfume is bombastic! It is everything I wanted and sadly was disappointed of in Youth Dew. I sprayed on this and all the memories of my mom's Youth Dew came back flooding in. It's the spices, the tabernacle myrrh, amber and balsam. I wasn't sure to get this one but I will always be glad I did. This is my go to to remember my mamma, she had all the style and class of an elegant woman. She knew what was alluring without being vulgar or obvious. That takes style, class, that's what this smells like to me. If this is a reformulation, they did a damn good job at it!

TjRjn
TjRjn

One of my favourite perfums for winter.
Woody & spicy - very comforting.

johanna.lindholm
johanna.lindholm

This perfume smelled like candle wax on me. It wasn't really unpleasant, but surprising. Also a lot of spicy myrrh. It's long lasting, and I didn't think that I'd like it as much as I actually did. The drydown is soft, a bit of vanilla, jasmin and myrrh, smells so comforting. I would say this is a very unisex fragrance, with a pretty heavy sillage.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I have decided I actually enjoy the smell of opium, but don't think I would wear it in the summer or spring, it's more of a cold season scent reminiscent of incense and toasted marshmallows:)

leschoux
leschoux

I adore Opium. It's the perfect spicy: warm, intense and full of personality. The problem? They made a new formulation for Opium and things just aren't the same.

The old one opens with a very spicy set of notes--all of which are bursting with boldness. It stays like that all the way. The spices and incense complement each other perfectly, like the marriage made in heaven. Unfortunately, the new one instead smells more like a very expensive soap. Too fresh for something that used to be very spicy. The dry-down is a disappointment too: the new one melts away into something that's rather sweet, which is not bad, but it's just saddening for anyone who has ever smelled the old formulation. If the old one is a very heavily spiced fruitcake that's bound to set the tongue wagging, the new one is gingerbread made with ginger essence instead of ground spices.

Overall, I still adore this, even though it's a shame that it's not as nice as it used to be. Perhaps YSL should really consider reverting to the old formulation because that's what makes Opium Opium: intoxicating, provocative, sexy and exotically sultry.

Rating: 9/10 (old formulation), 8/10 (new formulation)

massimilianoinquieto

Passare da opium originale a questa riformulazione è proprio un'esperienza deludente.
la nota di apertura è informe, aspra, piccante, aggressiva, disordinata, senza alcun senso, un miscuglio malriuscito. il cuore non ha senso, fugace, fa sentire due o tre elementi fioriti e continua il senso di aspro e di graffiante. è chiaro che tutte le essenze naturali sono state rimpiazzate da aromi chimici puzzolenti.

Inamorata
Inamorata

This fragrance, its intense scent, takes me back to the childhood days - my mum used to wear it then and she was very much in love with this perfume. Nowadays, i have rediscovered myself this YSL creation - it is a fragrance that will never ever evaporate from your wrist, your cloths or from any parts of your skin. This mix of patchiouli, amber, bay leaves and vetiver is deffinetely one for the books!! It is the kind of perfume that, ever since its launch, continues to beautify women's vanities and makeup tables.

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

Spice, Zing *sneeze*. It's very powdery in the opening but pleasant. I however, grew tired of this scent quickly. There's almost too much going on. It's very potent with NUCLEAR sillage and a descent longevity.

It's a mash of notes and I am finding really difficult to pick any one out.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Opium 2009 is sweeter, less resinous and spicy, barely any carnation, the dry down is not as fluffy as the original Opium.
And unfortunately - it´s a bit chemical.
The most beautiful moment comes about an hour after spraying, then it´s even nicer than the original version, only for a couple of minutes. Too bad it doesn´t last.
It then turns bitter/sour, chemical, sandalwood sweetness and myrrh fades away.
The biggest difference is the sandalwood.
Compare to incense sticks - while the original version is the best Nag Champa, the 2009 version is poor "sandalwood passion" from the cheapest market...
Longevity is good, about 10 hours on skin. Nice flacon

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

I grew up with Opium. My mother had a cabinet full of great perfumes and I was a child in the Eighties, so Opium was there. A big EDT bottle and also a little precious parfum bottle (which I used to go and smell when she could not see me).
For me, Opium was the perfect perfume of a lady.
Deep, sensuous, redolent of flowers, spices, incense. Smelling like an oriental night. Smelling like a Valide Sultan. Smelling lavish, precious. Breathtaking,
Sure, it was not everyone's cup of tea.
The sillage was enormous and so the staying power. You could smell it on your scarf for many days. It was an Eighties fragrance, a masterpiece.
What did YSL say about it?
"I will be the greatest, and we will call it Opium". It used to be the greatest, indeed.

Then, it was reformulated and when I found it out I could not believe it.
The EDT version currently available in shops is a pale shadow of the original perfume: screechy top notes, a weak dry down. It smells watered down, pale, cheap, a bad copy.
I can just mourn, and buy all the vintage bottles I can find.
Shame on YSL, for what they did to Opium.

IsabelVerh
IsabelVerh

This one. Oh my god. Okay.

Usually I wear Mitsouko by Guerlain, and I tried this at the store today. I sprayed on way too much, but after a soapy water rinse it's all good. Allll good. I would describe it as follows:

Mitsouko is green tea with fresh peaches, for breakfast in silk kimonos. Opium is strong black tea after dinner, with cigarettes and black velvet. This is exactly how I would imagine Oscar Wilde's favorite hangout would smell.

It's a scent I would wear to a play or a classy cocktail joint - Opium is uncompromising and definitely unsuitable for casual wear. Through all the smoky goodness, it has a refined soapy quality that makes it very balanced and contained. Basically, it's me in a bottle. This is only the reformulated version, I imagine the vintage would knock me dead.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

To me, Opium is indicative of how a perfume can "choose you" as well as how subjective/individual perfume is on the biological makeup of your skin. When I smelled it for the first time at Sephora, I was bombarded by richness. Now that I've been wearing it on my skin for hours, only these words suffice: melted, enchanted, seduced.

I've not really been one for the classic seductress staples such as Samsara or Hypnotic Poison but Opium works so well for me. With Samsara I felt I was drowning in ashes. Whereas Opium also has an incense makeup, it is not overpowering. The amber, vanilla, bergamot, myrrh, jasmine and vanilla formulate sweet waves that harmonize perfectly. Woody, spicy perfection without any jarring shift in the composition.

It even has patchouli. I hate patchouli and automatically write off any fragrance with it. Opium, you have not only made me love you but you have hidden patchouli in that bouquet of love. You are formidable.

Wearing Opium, I don't feel exotic the way perhaps the marketing wants you to feel (and "exotic" is probably a problematic/colonial word anyway). Opium makes me feel luxurious, sensual, classy and irresistible. It's oddly not inappropriate for work. I think I've smelled it in various scenarios and places. A keeper!

divan.badenhorstbotha
divan.badenhorstbotha

This stuff is just hauntingly beuatifull !!!!!! If you can get the extrait it wil take the experience to another level. Niches may come and go but opium is forever!!!

ameliunim
ameliunim

Oh God. It's so heavy, like an incense and something from India. I can't breath it gives me migraine too. It is also so flat (I was trying to find something more than incense, but it was impossible). Heavy, sticky, banal incense. Not my cup of tea.

chowchow41
chowchow41

When the new version Opium edt came out i tried it several times but there is a note in the composition that doesnt agree with my skin. I think its the geranium that does that, i had someone that bought it from me.
Recently i was reading the reviews and i read that the EDP was great. I bought it and boy was i glad i did. Its so sweet, soft spicy and i dont get any weird note on my skin. My love is growing for this version, seriously. I do have vintage Opium but this one is also beautiful at its own. The EDT and EDP are different.
If the EDT isnt for you you should try the EDP its great. Im in LOVE.

elnaz_sn
elnaz_sn

This for some reason gives me a headache. I have to add that my mother wears it all the time so maybe its a psychological. seems very strong and bitter to me, not fun. but definitely chic

Daphne du Maurier
Daphne du Maurier

This is still Opium. It really is. Not just a ghost, it has only changed a little, shifted, just as a person can while still remaining oneself.

I loved the original in the 90's, when I was in high school, and one of my friends wore it all the time. Reading the reviews I was a bit nervous about trying the reformulation, but there were enough positive ones from long-term wearers that I gave it a chance, and I'm so glad I did. From the first sniff of the unsprayed bottle, I knew it was going to be worthwhile.

I won't mention the opening, they are rarely significant to me, and after just a few minutes, there is Opium. It might have a bit more powder than before...it's softer, and not as deep - or rather it is, but you can't smell the depth as readily because of the softer impact, and I think I actually like that better. The cinnamon stands out more than I remember, but I suspect that that is simply because I am aware now that it has cinnamon - I was clueless about notes before Fragrantica!

The ultimate proof for me that it has not changed too much is the way it transports me back through time and space. Every time I catch a whiff I am back in 1996-97, sitting next to Kristina in another friend's backyard in summer evenings...or shoe-shopping with her along Queen Street in the winter...or travelling through Spain together on spring break, and all the little memories are being filled in for me in a sudden, overwhelming flood by this new Opium, the sights and sounds around us and the feeling created by the air and light of those seasons. I was not expecting that. I am so happy to have this in my collection, and am not even tempted to hunt down the original.

This review was for the edt, I have not tried the edp.

EDIT: Something, some note, is absent from the drydown that was present in the original, making it feel incomplete, so I can understand why some fans are disappointed. I guess it depends what was most important to you in the composition. For me, this new version is beautiful and satisfying.

Yosa
Yosa

OPIUM - with a taboo name, and once almost banned, there is a lot to live up to!

But Opium does not fail. It immediately captivates with its strong aromatic smell.

It is a powerful, rich perfume. Close your eyes, and it takes you to a bazaar in Morocco. Or into a dark room filled with pillows on the floor... (Hippies, man, hippies!)

Dark brown, red and orange are the colors that would describe Opium the best - it is a heavy, powerful experience! It is definitely for evening wear, and for autumn/winter.

I love this scent, I love the story - the whole thing! But there is a catch: It is not a young smell. This fragrance needs someone mature to carry it, because it is so rich and powerful.

Natalia Oviedo
Natalia Oviedo

I'm really surprised with this perfume. My grandmother uses it and it smells great! Opium is too strong for my taste , however, I really don't dislike it at all, I find this fragrance very elegant, and feminine. It's a very woodsy frangrance, myrrh is there ever since the very start and until the end. I LIKE

Jessamina
Jessamina

This used to smell of making love. It still smells hot and spicy. Maybe I've grown up with it... Opium is marianne faithful, a rich and powerful sex goddess. Exiting but perhaps you don't want to see her doing the dishes. Or perhaps you do... .? I love the musky jasmine and cinnamon but occasionally gets a bit carmen. Melodramatic.

Chava
Chava

This is my first ever review, so I'm picking my all-time favorite perfume: YSL Opium! I seem to be in the minority of young women who like this fragrance - most women my age seem to gravitate towards generic saccharine, fruity scents. If you own any Justin Bieber scents, Opium is not for you. It's for the bold, sensuous, elegant woman who knows what she wants!

To echo what others have said, the older version of Opium is much better. Stock up on vintage bottles if you can - I am so excited when I can grab one at Goodwill or an estate sale!

happyscent
happyscent

YSL Opium female - on my nose it is a powdery jasmin with hints of indistinct spices; I think a man can wear this under a shirt and will smell SEXY

Porsborg
Porsborg

As a man.......
This is the only scent that ever..made me turn around on the street!
Love it !

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

Opium is not the exotic, classic and sensual beauty I had hoped it would be. Instead, it transports me to a kitsch and nauseating world of yoga mats, cheap Oriental fountains, vegan diets and Deepak Chopra, whilst I choke from the incense that has replaced all breathable air.

After a couple of hours, it actually smells okay, but nothing worth the bumpy journey it takes to get there.

charlottesmom
charlottesmom

While wasting time in Lord &Taylor my two of my kids we perused the fragrance section I picked up Opium and showed it to my 11 year old son. My son decided he wanted to smell it, I told him no because it smells pretty bad, when I was putting it back I hit the nozzle and it squirted out on my hand and his jacket. It was even worse than I remembered, very strong patchouli and spices. We luckily had baby wipes in the car but that only helped a little, I washed my hands with coffee soap when we got home and more of the odor dissapated. Opium is a very strong perfume so I decided to get out the big guns...rubbing alcohol. Now 2 hours later I can still smell it a bit and it smells.....good! I can't do this method of applying perfume everyday so I will be passing on the Opium, I'll leave it for the ladies who can enjoy it strait from the bottle.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent is not a sweet, rich contemporary oriental a la Serge Lutens. It opens with a heavy dose of aldehydes, sweet florals—ylang ylang and jasmine—and a touch of citrus. The sweet floral/aldehyde combination, also found in Chanel No. 5, is just enough to add a “perfume-y” touch. Next, myrrh, resins, and spices add warmth that balances the cold opening. I love how earthy patchouli is offset by soapy florals; Opium smells very “70s”, but I think that one or two sprays after a shower could produce an elegant and freshly scrubbed effect. Four or five sprays could be a little bingo hall. Also, men really need to try Opium.

4/5 Retro, unisex, perfume-y, elegant

zquilts
zquilts

I hate to date myself, but is can't change the facts of life! I have been wearing this since 1983! I noticed the change in formula before I ever heard about it, and I do prefer the older version, but the new update is good and I have not found any other that I would prefer to use.

I think that this is a perfume that really does change quite a bit with personal chemistry, although it know that this line of thinking has been somewhat debunked in recent books. I have smelled it on some people and rally did not like it because it seemed overpowering and a bit harsh.?
On me it comes off softer, even a bit powdery. It does not shout - so I am told.

What can Is say? I love this scent, always have and probably always will unless the fiddle with it way too much.

I don't think that would suit everyone as well, but for me it's "the one".

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

i managed to purchase the pure perfume version, it is as astounding as the edt that i have on the old reformulation..the smell is not linear or too strong, just perfect with incense, gum, myrrh, flowers, amber etc..it is just nice...people compare a lot on edt and edp but i have yet to see comment on the pure parfum..suffice to say , i tried it and i like it...

Cascade05
Cascade05

Got a very distinct richness of its on. Smooth , exotic and fiery. Something spl of a winter night.
Worn it once on day and had a real bad headache. Also not a good idea to spary in on clothes. Smells better on skin ( personal opinion)

Sherihan
Sherihan

Little different from the old version, the only difference is when I first spray it,this has a bigger top note,it is fresher,more aldehydic. But once I get to the lower notes, it is almost the same as the old one. The vintage one I have is somehow rancid a little and not fresh(from90's),but still I see similarity. My new one is from 2010's patch(I can tell from the code number on the bottle). Both has dirty rose base note,it is annoying in the old,but the new one stays fresh all the way.

Whit
Whit

This review is for the 2009 version.

Well Opium, you've been reformulated and vintage lovers everywhere must cry because you've changed. It's true, you have! I remember in the 80's when my mom wore you. Man, you were so strong! Everybody noticed you and asked what perfume you were.

With all that being said Opium, I actually like the new you. You're still a little incensy in your top notes and you still have that warm, smokey but cozy dry down. Why I wore you the other day and even my mom asked what scent you were! I told her it was you; yes, I was wearing Opium. Sure, you're not as strong as you once were but hey, you still draw compliments and to me, you're still a sexy little number. Just don't change on me again! You got that, Opium?!

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

Wow. Opium by Yves Saint Laurent, what an enduring classic.

My review is for the reformulated 2009 version in the eau de parfum.

Opium is perhaps my favourite all time fragrance. I am very much into deep, classic, spicy orientals and opium has all those three factors covered perfectly.

It is common to see people complaining that this 2009 reforumation is nothing like the original, which may be true, I myself have never had the pleasure of smelling the original, but, to me this 'new' opium is going to continue on the classic. This reformulation is sure to carry on the classic with new fans, like myself.

I have owned Opium Pour Homme, which is fabulous, but to me, the womens version is the best.

It is capitvating, long lasting, and elegant. I am a man, but have no issues with wearing female marketed fragrances, Opium to me defies gender, and is more of a way of living. It appeals to individuals who do not care what people think of them and have a strong sense of style that they like to call their own.

Every perfume lover must have an encounter with Yves Saint Laurent's opium at least once in their life.

I also, despite what many people say, really like the newly designed flacon, I think it fits in perfectly with Saint Laurent's love for oriental antiques, and I believe it looks very chic and elegant.

If you have not tried Opium before, and are an oriental fan you will fall in love with this.

This reformulation is perfect for the next generation who never got to experience the original.

lyciumchld

I'm leaving an updated review here, as I recently purchased a jar of the body cream and have been wearing the EDP and cream together.

The scent profile of the body cream (not the lotion!) is much more effervescent than the EDP, with a zingy opening practically bursting with bergamot. My first impression is "cinnamon flavored 7-up", or perhaps "7-up flavored cinnamon". That might sound a bit strange, but I really like it quite a bit.

I smooth the cream on fairly generously, then spray only the back of my neck and my wrists with the juice. This creates a veritable cloud of Opium, which follows me for several hours. The cream differs further from the perfume in that the bergamot stays with the cream throughout, though in later stages it is much softer. The perfume's dry-down, however, focuses much more on the sweeter opoponax with a hint of vanilla and a little patchouli. It's soft, sensuous, warmly spiced, and slightly medicinal. Spice notes remain throughout, though softer in later stages.

Opium lasts for several hours and has a nice, healthy silage. If you're going to wear this baby in close quarters, spray well in advance of attendance, and spray ONLY ONCE OR TWICE!!

I've had excellent luck with YSL scents, the quality and composition of which easily stand with the likes of Chanel's Coco (though she remains, in my humble opinion, the reigning Queen). I'm quite pleased with Opium, and will continue to wear it as long as they sell it.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Opium 2009 se situe désormais entre un Cinnamon et un Youth Dew d'Estée Lauder mais au prix largement plus élevé.
Ils ont totalement ruiné l'âme d'Opium selon moi.
L'ancienne version d'Opium laissait apparaître un soupçon d'orchidée en milieu de notes mais là !! Plus rien !
Une oscillation de bois précieux et d'épices qui drague comme je l'ai dit du côté d'Estée Lauder.
L'oriental de 1977 a été amputé.....de son côté oriental !! Un comble !
Le mariage du côté floral et de l'ambre, de la vanille et des bois précieux faisait d'Opium un parfum luxueux qui faisait le bonheur des peaux claires et des peaux moins claires. Un parfum qui faisait rassemblait les blondes, les brunettes et les rouquines....

debcj

I just tried my sample again, with none of my earlier expectations, and am enjoying it. As a sandalwood addict, I think also that I expected to find that in something called "Opium", and not finding it may have been part of my disappointment. But now I am enjoying the difference, as I do not believe I have ever had anything with myrrh, except the essential oil that I would never consider wearing as a frangrance. I love this forum. Came back to see if there were any new comments and found such a wealth of insight- thanks, everyone! The good news about what I am smelling now is that I would be happy to wear it in the day, and I never thought that would be true of Opium, and maybe it would not have been before the reformulation. I am going to look for the vintage formula though- my curiousity is peaked :>)

notmenoeb
notmenoeb

Later edit: I tested again both versdions of the perfume, both in EDT concentration. the old Opium appears a bit more complex and somehow more pungent [in the sense that there is something in its composition that does not allow indifference in perceiving it - either that of the wearer who becomes aware of it, or that of the others whose olfactive attention is claimed by Opium]. Comparatively, the new Opium starts with what I consider its middle stage which lasts for about 30 minutes, and then what I get is a scent that does not metamorphose.

From this perspective the old si more complex with various stages and intensities alternating, while the new is more direct and' linear' [which is good if the wearer does not want to have to wait for hours for the perfect dry-down lovely scent]. The new Opium, however, might appear to some as 'artificial', probably because in the [fortunately long] dry-down stage it has the oppoponax, myrrh, ambergris and a little floral combination which may 'sound' bitterish but it is not that at all [I have Rochas which has tolu balsam in it and that is bittersih]. Overall it is a soft, oriental and spicy fragrance which is not for the shy or for those who take lightly their perfume. For lovers of similes, the old Opium could be represented visually as a sophisticated, delicate [unintentionally magnetising attention around her] mid-aged woman; while the new one could be a self-confident, intentionally claiming attention and younger woman.

It is a mersmerizing fragrance, I love it very much. I first smelled it accidentally on someone else in my teens and I have been searching for it blindly [because I did not ask the wearer what it was]. I remembered it being more incensy, but I was wrong. I love it and I am glad it is still in production [in whatever formulation].

I have both the old and the new version: the quality is similar/good in both. However, everyone seems to be 'worried' about the new version and states that it is lower in quality than the original [because of the reformulation].

In the EDT version, with 2 sprays/squirts, the old version lasts for a reasonalbe 6 hours on the skin, while the new Opium EDT lasts about 8 hours on my skin [and persists well after a shower meaning that it is present in close to skin sillage, while the old version vanishes and disappears after the shower].

Thus I am more than glad to have the new version which I love [to my surprise, too. I was expecting something with an artifical smell, with poorer lasting power than the older with animal ingredients in it, and am I glad it is not the case].

As to the smell - the old version is somehow softer, more complex, and more round with different stages in evolution, while the new is a bit more confident,straightforward, less chameleonic [and complex] and bolder but almost identical. I love the drydown of the new Opium as it is sweeter, appears faster, and is more powerful than the original's]. What's important for me is the fact that the new Opium EDT outlasts its 'parent' by a couple of hours, with the last stage being the most powerful [which is not the case with the original which becomes softer and very close to skin, nevertheless more complex and spicier/darker].

Thumbs up for YSL for the job they did with the new Opium in the environmentally-friendly version [with fewer ingredients] of their hallmark perfume.

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

I agree that the original version was more exotic. The dry-down has lost its depth of myrrh and leathery notes replacing it by a cola-like scent. I think it's because of trying to please both sides of customers--those who appreciate classic perfumes (and therefore would normally buy reissued classic perfumes instead of new candy-popcorn-etc.-like ones) and those who would like to buy a classic perfume for the sake of its reputation (but can't fully appreciate the whole spectrum of olfactory notes and therefore would normally buy scents that remind of food).

esmerelda69
esmerelda69

Bought it (EDT) in 1982, it was a fantastic perfume. I stopped wearing it in late 80's because it was everywhere.
It has been described in detail so won't go over that but I loved it.
Bought 50ml EDT recently and although I like it it is a pale comparison to the original exotic juice.
This is such a shame, wish they would continue the original for those who were faithful to it in the beginning.

debcj

I am disappointed in the sample I ordered- not because it smells bad, but because it just seems so one dimensional. It is the same smell on my wrist right now as it was three hours ago, only, as someone said below, somewhat soapier. I never tried it before as I thought it would be too serious and intense for me. Now I am sad that it is not more intriguing and exotic.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Opium, this is one of those 80's type fragrances that most people will probably either truly love and adore, or will reject. It is in the same family of scents as Coco, Fendi, Paloma Picasso, Cinnebar by Estee Lauder, etc...

I haven't smelled this in years, but recently sampled this again as I was walking through a department store. The bottle is beautiful and has a distinct richness to it.

The fragrance itself is classic, ageless and timeless. I also compared the original Coco Chanel with this - on the other arm, and Opium is a much more full bodied fragrance. This almost registers in the Kenzo L'Elephant range, where it is definitely something that will leave people with a lasting impression.

The ingredients are decidedly upper market, you can just tell that this is an expensive, elegant perfume - smelling this.

This is NOT for wall flowers. You definitely must be completely SURE OF YOURSELF to wear THIS!

The coloring of this... with my background in image consulting - I see this being worn by a woman who has red hair - or blonde hair, but wears colors and clothing that are either in the soft dramatic retro period - like an elegant film star from the 1930's/40's... or someone who is able to wear more rustic clothing and likes a more refined fragrance. I don't see this fragrance paired with someone who wears super bright colors, pastels, or the dark winter colors. This has a warmth and richness to it - that feels like it belongs with a woman who likes to wear the richer tones of autumn - or the more rustic colors and textures.

As far as silage, this goes on for the first 4-5 hours with a bang. It is potent and very powerful. However, comparing this directly to Coco Chanel, Coco lasts over 12 hours on my skin - where you can still capture the scent of Coco. Opium wears much heavier the first couple of hours, then quickly disappears.

I really love the notes in Opium. I feel that this could definitely be a "signature scent" for someone who can wear this type of warmth and has an air of sophistication - and comes across elegant and refined. I can also see this being worn by a woman who wears more rustic, and trendy clothing. This fragrance speaks volumes. It is something that people will definitely love or hate... so I wouldn't over spray this. Be kind, this could be overly aggressive in a closed or tight area - like in a public theater, auditorium, classroom packed with students, small office area, or an elevator. This needs room to breathe, definitely.

millie1980
millie1980

I faintly recall smelling Opium many years ago, certainly before the most recent reformulation. What can I say? It's still spicy, but it is also surprisingly soapy - I never remember it smelling this clean. The combination of heavy spice and soap just doesn't work for me. Furthermore, I tested the edp, and I could barely smell it after a couple of hours! Why did they bother changing the original?

PerfumeFerret
PerfumeFerret

This perfume is an expensive copy of Tabu. It is heavenly. My father brought a bottle back from a business trip to Paris. The perfume had just debuted and Mom loved it. So much that she wouldn't share it with me! LOL.
Opium is a rich Oriental that is perfect for night activities like nightclubs.

AngelaAngela
AngelaAngela

Pure smokey Myrrh with an amber base. It does conjour what I would imagine is the scent of an opium den. This is a very grown up intense smell. It brings out a feeling of mystery and intensity that I haven't smelled in any of the current fruitbombs an fruitchulis that I normally go ape for. Based in the review I wish I might have a chance to smell the original at some point in my life. For me, it does fill that need to a dark sultry amber scent... No fruit, no flowers, no pretty girl pink stuff here. It is a great addition to my collection.

ilprezzo

Was in a Perfumery yesterday and tried both the EDP and the EDT!!!
OMG! It has NOTHING to do with what Opium used to be. A silly watered down something that doesn?`t know if it should turn sour,or just stay plain boring, shallow and cheap.

acameron
acameron

this is my signature scent. i love any fragrance that is dark, smoky-incensy smelling. i like to be noticed when walking into a room. opium will do that for you. its very dark, daring, strong and confident-and you have to be that to wear this.. reminds me of campfires and gypsies. each body chemistry is different and it smells different on everyone. i tend to draw alot of smokey amber from it. LOVE.

titzkrieg
titzkrieg

Sorry, folks. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to all of you who want to believe that the "Opium" you can buy now is the same stuff of the Opium legends, but everything the naysayers have stated is the absolute truth, unfortunately.

No matter what the bottle says, this is NOT Opium; not by a longshot. And it never will be. This is a feculent stain on Opium's name.

It's sad but it's true. This isn't even a shadow of the original Opium. This is what a really bad facelift, in bottle design and most certainly in the fragrance inside.

I pity the future generations that won't get to experience the masterpiece that was Opium. It infuriates me that they've given such a phenomenal scent a crappy olfactory facelift and dumbed it down to appeal to today's idiotic masses. Everything that made it so special, noteworthy, fantastic, and downright sensational is gone. It smells plain and cheap, cheap, cheap. Not worth the money. You could get one of Chanel's masterpieces or an enchanting Thierry Mugler for the price of this drugstore sugar water they have the nerve to call Opium. Yves Saint Laurent would spin in his grave.

RIP Opium.

babypoison
babypoison

heavy incense, cinnamon, smoke and powder. to me it smells very bold, yet classy and sophisticated at the same time. i would imagine only confident women using it.
i do not know if i like this on me or not, but it is what my favorite aunt used .. so regardless it suits me or not, i do like to smell it alot as it reminds me of her.

liiva
liiva

I was smell YSL Belle d'Opium and I was disappointed, then I was thinking that all those Opium perfumes are nothing special. But one day suddenly I was get this to try. This is perfect! So sexy, smoky and dark! I was surprised! Very good!

cassiopeia09
cassiopeia09

This was my late great grandma's signature scent. I have a little sample that I got from Macy's and every time I smell it, it reminds me of her. Cigarettes, whiskey, mah jong and all..

cinnamonswirl
cinnamonswirl

This version of Opium performs a weird balancing act between church incense and cherry cola. It's reminscent of Tabu, but with less of a honk. Interesting, but I wouldn't wear it myself.

Rawannnna
Rawannnna

shame this perfume has the same name of the legendary Opium! they should call it something else and leave the original mighty formula alone! this will always be compared to that 1977 juice, for me, as I own the original opium, i find this less interesting, tamed, shy interpretation of the original intoxicating juice. this perfume, itself, is not worth it, the counterpart for today's bubble gym perfumes, and like-wise, tasteless.

victoria.rogers.984
victoria.rogers.984

I've only become interested in perfume in the last year, and as such, I have no idea what the original EDP smelled like. I went to a perfume shop yesterday and smelled what seemed like every perfume they had (after many breaks and coffee bean inhaling), and this is the one I kept on going back to. I had the EDP sprayed on me, and I left the store with the intention of seeing how the scent developed on me over the course of a few hours. I went back and purchased it thirty minutes later.

It smells like warm, spiced milk when mixed with my body chemistry. It's very comforting, and warm. It makes me want a nice chai latte, a fuzzy blanket and a good book.

The sillage is a little much for me. I'm not the type of person who wants to shout their arrival with their perfume (I'd rather do that with a solid hairstyle and some bold lipstick ;) ), so less is definitely more with this one. Longevity is absoloutely crazy. I put it on yesterday at one in the afternoon, and at ten in the morning the next day I can still smell it on me.

LATER EDIT:

Just for fun I decided to layer it with Dior Pondichery. Talk about yummy! Pondichery gives it some brightness and makes it far more suitable for day if you apply only a small amount of Opium.

Kapuzik

i have now idea how old version smells, but for me this one is perfect blend for oriental parfume.Not too sweet,not to much vanilla or heavy spices. perfect!

samer007
samer007

it's no longer a secret that opium has been tampered with, reformulated and is simply a different scent than it used to be. vintage opium is by far the most opulent fragrance ever created, smelled it once on a woman years ago and it's haunting. a cloud of spice, orange, heavy incense and all things sensual.
the new opium, without comparison, is a very good perfume. the EDP especially is a beauty; balmy, smoky, woody with beautiful orange and myrrh. it projects well, lasts long enough... but even so it's still quieter, softer than the original juice. but it's a perfume that i wear regularly. if u want to have a better idea of how vintage opium smelled like try estee lauder's cinnabar.
5 stars.

Arctophile46
Arctophile46

I finally tried the reformulation EDT and EDP today- the EDT is an abomination, the EDP is *ok* but, not my beloved Opium.... I'm so incredibly disappointed! I've worn Opium on a daily basis for years so, I'll have to stockpile the vintage I can get my hands on. Sadly, that will eventually run out!

I quite like heavy, smoky fragrances but Opium does not get along with my chemistry. It can turn very sharp and acrid. Have some friends who've told me Opium outright burns their nose.
I can see how one could also find this fragrance "dated". Perhaps it's the carnation note? I find that it's often listed in fragrances I find a bit too "old school" for me.
I love Opium Pour Homme & Belle D'Opium though. Go figure.

Discoball
Discoball

My mom wore this when I was little. It really brings back memories. I tried this today and the first spray I smelled cinnamon gum and incense. After a few minutes it smelled like incense, smokey sandalwood ashes, and amber. A bit sickeningly sweet and strong, but interesting and very unique. This is pretty much the opposite of everything else popular, all those fruity florals out there. l like it, but it calls for the appropriate occasion. I think it's sexy!

Heliotropea
Heliotropea

Snowbunny007 : I have the reformulation edp and it is as disappointing as the edt. There is absolutely no comparison to the original as far as depth and spiciness and longevity are concerned.

Moselle
Moselle

This perfume works on me. It smells like toast and sex when i wear it and I can still smell it after I bathe. It was my ex's fave

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

I was not happy with this. I have worn the original, and now I have been through a bottle of the reformulation. They are similar, but the reformulation is lacking in some areas.

It still retains the original idea of opium. But, the original has a much stronger base, a more masculine edge, a warmer aura, a greater sillage, a more developed and blended set of florals, and far more staying power. This new version could even drop the original name and be called something like "opium eau fraiche" or "leau d'opium". The florals burn my nose they are so sharp. The spices are watered down. And, worst of all- there is a strong, masculine accord in the original, which is missing in this featured version, that could give you this sensual, love/hate (gosh, I'm wearing something really naughty, teehee) sort of feeling. It was frankly sexual!!!

This new version is a bit dated. The original was timeless...so well blended and sensual.

I hear the EDP is a bit better. This is for the EDT. I am curious to try the EDP.

lyciumchld

I'm currently wearing a sample, the EDT I think, and I've got a question: Do the EDT and EDP smell different? What I'm seeing here is a bit confusing and I can't remember which bottle the gal at the store decanted from. I'm so in love with this fragrance and don't want to purchase the wrong one if they smell different!

EDIT: I received a bottle of the EDP today as a gift, and there is no difference between the EDT and EDP in terms of fragrance notes. The EDP is more intense, but they are otherwise nearly indistinguishable. I am so very pleased! This fragrance is a heady, exotic, dark rapture in a bottle. Very aptly titled, too. I'm a recent Opium fan, so I never did get to smell the original, but I'm honestly not sure what all the fuss about the 'reformulation' is about. The 'new' fragrance is divine!

zsazsa.vr
zsazsa.vr

I have both, pure perfume and EDT in the original formula. While this is not my absolute favourite fragrance, it is definitely something I enjoy wearing. Makes me feel exotic and mysterious femme fatale. In a pale skin, red lip kind of way....

Today I decided to try the reformulated version and the dry down made me nauseous. Literally. There is a note that is absolutely revolting to my nose. I don't have a proper terminology to describe it. Benzene, rubber, sorbitol and cinnamon. I scrubbed my wrist with soap and mouth wash, but the smell does not come off. :( it does have an amazing staying power! This one isn't for me. Pity... Once my original is gone, Opium would no longer be part o my collection.

red347
red347

This is my review for the new formula EDT

First off, this smells like the original's long lost cousin... There is something in the original that I just couldn't wear, civet, incense, not quite sure. Anyhow, this stripped down version, on me, wears so much better. Again this is only my take on it and I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that I like this half @ssed, stripped down, poor excuse of a reformulation better than the wonderful, perfect, crown jewel from Yves! LOL

So, my whole purpose for this review is to reach out to those of you who find the original a little to "much" and let you know that this is a great option and stilll yet a beautiful fragrance! It does have a slight masculine base to it, like the vintage, but not nearly as strong.

Go get it, try it, wear it... This absolutely works and fits me, I am so glad I found this and hope that others find this useful!

kittyh30
kittyh30

I love this smell, sexy and intoxicating... reminds me of Estee Lauder Cinnabar that I used to wear about 10 years ago. I recently smelled it again at Christmas time and didn't care for the smell. I tried Opium and became "hooked"...... addicted !!! like it so much better!!

RedLady
RedLady

Okay, when I first tried this months ago, it was on a paper strip. I smelt and recoiled. I thought it was medicinal, masculine and way too smoky for me.

But in the store today, I decided to give it another ago, this time on my skin. WOW, I thought. This is one seriously dark, mysterious, captivating little siren. Don't use a paper strip for this one, its completely different on the skin.
I got strong incense, myhrr, spice, cinnamon... very deep and delicious.

HOWEVER, I'm disappointed now because two hours after application, I'm getting a very prominent, powdery "grandma" smell, which is a shame cos I was so close to buying it. My sister smelt my wrist when I asked for her opinion and she immediately wrinkled her nose and said "old lady".
I do actually smell like someone 70+ and not 25!
Damn.

Now I'm torn...to buy or not to buy... the opening is so lovely. Why the powder YSL? WHY??

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

it would be nice if fragrantica had a page for the new packaging of the EdT, which looks exactly like the packaging of the new "despised" EdP but without the dark tube inside the bottle.

This is way too confusing and I almost didn't buy the EdT in the new bottle because I thought it would be awful. But it turned out it is amazingly beautiful!

Kapuzik

Oh! this one is Hippie scent! I sprayed today in Boots and Iv got an awesome aura! I smelled like ancient asian temple .Very very oriental and beautiful fragrance. Different from any of mass market fragrances. I could think of Lush ,they do parfums similar to opium style) Nice smell of Hippie(in a good way) on me) Interesting,but on my cousin smells very different with lots of fruity berry notes.

Lukiezoomy
Lukiezoomy

I LOVE the new Opium! I wore the old one back in the 90's and, although I loved the smell I couldn't bear to wear it too much as it was far far too strong. The new EDP smells like the old one but is much softer and easier to wear. I can definitely wear this day and night and I don't feel like people are gagging around me, whereas the old one could only be worn at night and people could smell you coming, and I hate that in a perfume. Perfume should be something you wear, not which wears you. I wore Poison in the 1990's as well and the smell of it makes me wince now. Heavy, eye-watering perfumes are so dated now. All those people who don't like it, we know, we get it, you can stop going on about it now. No it's not the same, it's better.

Annelien1987

I'm so sick of people saying: 'shame on you ysl, it is not the same as the original'. Come one, like there is such a difference. There ISN'T!! People just love to idealize the original. There is no difference!

massimilianoinquieto

chi ha amato la formula originale di opium negli anni 80 sicuramente adesso rimarra' disgustato da questa nuova formula. io ho ancora un opium di quelli vecchi e non c'e' veramente paragone.
quello nuovo si apre con note graffianti e stridule, poche e sintetiche, assomiglia acoca cola. poi vola via veloce saltando tutto il bouquet e si ferma su una nota monotona che assomiglia al borotalco. un vero profumo che e' stato rovinato, non c'e' piu niente di opium in questo.

SEVENS74
SEVENS74

I finally got a sniff of the new 'Opium' today. This is NOT Opium and should not share the name with the original. After it had dried, I could only smell it by shoving my nose on my skin; with the original you could smell it a room width away. I'm sure people new to the fragrance will like this but those of us who cherished the original 70s classic will mourn the loss. Shame on you YSL.

FoxyVixen
FoxyVixen

Just.. wow. I just tried on Opium today and it smells DIVINE ! It works so great on my skin and I just love the woody/oriental smell. And it doesn't smells like "smoke" on my skin compared to Shalimar by Guerlain or Obsession by CK.

I'm in love it with and I'm DEFINITLY buying the biggest bottle of this perfume this week ! Unfortunatly, I didn't had the occasion to smell the old formula of Opium, and I wish I had. But anyway, this one smells truly amazing.

Zenobia274
Zenobia274

Ahhhh Opium! First bought this in 1977..it's 'addictive' one of my staples and all time favourites. A splendiforous blend of mandarin, patchouli, frankincense, cinnamon, ylang ylang and fireworks! A no-holds-barred adventure, poised, intoxicating and yet sophisticated - a sheer tigress. Beautiful in winter and amazing on a warm summer night.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

This new EDP is horrible. It immediately reminded me of a masculine scent that I once owned. Then I realized what it was. It has something in it that my bottles of the current Giorgio Beverly Hills and Quorom had. They all had the same synthetic "generic/oriental" fragrance smell. It seems like the factory uses the same generic formula for anything Oriental or Spicy...male or female.

It seems like a lot of the cheaper scents have lots in common with each other. I assume that they are made in the same factories.

Opium should reek of goodness and sillage should be a monster. This doesn't have either one in the current formulation.

Priced at roughly $106 for a 90ml EDP it can't be all that good and it wasn't.

kit1982

A friend gave it to me as a Christmas gift. I want the old version but only the new version is available in Manila.

I have tried the old Opium EDT, months ago. Comparing my experience with old EDT version versus my current EDP in a new bottle... the old version is spicier and smells like barbershop cologne with very soft animalic notes. The new version is sweeter and more floral, but still it is very good. Guys can easily wear this. It is so spicy and rich that an amateur nose will not be able to tell you (if you are guy) that you are wearing ladies perfume.

I my vote goes to the old version, but this new EDP is also very good. The silage is enormous, and one of few perfumes that last more than 8 hours on skin...

I love this.

Cams
Cams

Fantastic on my skin and lasts forever. I sprayed it in the department store and everyone who walked by commented on my lovely scent. Lovely!

Hallonix
Hallonix

This was the first time I sniffed any perfume labeled with 'opium'.
I liked it on a piece of paper, but didn't have the courage to try it on my skin. At first it smelled like a fizzing glass of coca-cola, and then the warm spices appeared. A pleasant scent, that i will try on later.

Nicole79

Opium 2009...it,s the "light" version of the Vintage one.
More easy to wear, not so strong, very warm ,velvety oriental .
Can be worn day or night.
I really like this "modernised" Opium a lot.The bottle is very nice too.
As i already said in my other review, the vintage is so strong that i feel sick, so this is the right alternative for me ;))

zetsubouko
zetsubouko

Deep and warm. I feel like I will be wear it if I'm about 40, but not now. This is for a woman, a madam, not for a mademoiselle.

auroramaria
auroramaria

I found a sample of this in EDT concentration at the back of my bedside table and thought of giving it a chance.
What can I say this is very pleasant, deep and spicy big sillage and longevity if I did not know how tha pre-reformulated one smelled like I would probably love this and make it mine.
The thing is in comparison to the old Opium this one is like tab water

joliecat

Mystica, thank you for your review ! The majority of Original Formula Opium fans agree with you on this one. We are lucky to have been able to experience the unique Original formula in our lifetimes. Many of us refuse to spend exhorbitant prices chasing vintage bottles of perfumes. With the IFRA rules, it is impossible to recreate the original Opium formula. Unfortunately, other fabulous classic perfumes have met the same fate, bowed to IFRA rules, and disappeared. Sad but true.

As for this version of Opium, it lacks many many natural ingredients and spices found in the original. Comparatively, this version is a "nice" oriental floral, just "OK", no longer special or unique like the original.

saguna
saguna

This is really strange. When I sprayed it on my wrist, I couldn't stand this smell. I left it in my drawer and today, I was in a good mood, and I wanted to try something different. I sprayed OPIUM and went out to work. I think I fallen in love with this fragrance.
I was feeling strong, confident and strong again.
I have just half of 30 ml bottle, but will definitely try to find bigger vintage bottle.
I think it's good to layer it with something.

dormir6
dormir6

I haven't known the old one, but I definatly love this! For me it is wintertime fragrance, especially for cristhmas. Very balmy,smoky and heavy but on my skin is comfortable, warm, and kind. Not seductive, but the smell of a cosy, inviting home, full of special spices, shines of liqeurs in the ligth of candles, wealth and tradition. Very nice!

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

This is very very smoky and deep, it remind me of the smell of Russian church and incense. It has a great staying power, I've sprayed it hours ago and can still smell it on my skin, and this is quite rare for me because all other perfumes even with the most staying power fade quickly on me, but not this one.

I personally wouldn't wear it but it if you are into deep smoky scents this gem is for you!

kit1982

I like this a lot. I sprayed it on my wrist, just to try, then I went inside a bookstore... Wow, the sillage is enormous. The scent is very captivating. If you want to be the center of attention, wear this!

this is perfect!
Very much heavy and delicious scent. I hate that talk about "buy only the vintage, this is not Opium anymore". Oh, please, this is pure histeria.

Sabrina_A
Sabrina_A

This is for the real mature woman .. Im "only" 23 , but i'll tell ya'll that I've been wearing this scent since I was 14 . (I know I was young but I couldn't resist my mothers bottle) .

I felt so different and I still do . I love Opium , it's so so .. beautiful , a true legendary perfume .

mystica

In my feeling, the new Opium is likely to be discontinued in a few years. I'm not working at the industry, nor for L'oreal, and am no way associated with the brand whatsoever. As a lover of the pre-2009 Opium, I just wonder about the sales rate of this new interpretation. Because,

1- I know, no true Opium lovers will buy it more than once, if they ever did so. (Some people say that the testers for the new Opium are the old Opium, so they fooled people. -For me it was a blind buy.- But how many times can you fool people, especially when this issue is vastly discussed on the net.)
2- In its own right, the new Opium is incredibly heavy for the younger audience, minus the distinct character of the old one.
3- It's not likely to satisfy people with rather mature noses who like orientals. They will either seek alternatives for their old beloved Opium; or if they are able to splurge on perfume (and most are) they will go for niche stuff then, -such as Montale- for the same price which is labelled on the new Opium. This way, they will not have to tolerate chemical notes in a perfume and they'll for sure be different from the crowd as they wish, and you know for the same price again...

Then really, what makes the customer profile which is targetted for the sales of new Opium; and is it sustainable enough... --or will L'oreal simply someday pull it of from the shelves?...

Just a thought.

Annelien1987

This is one of the perfumes I get the most compliments on, young and 'old' compliment me on wearing an amazing perfume. I absolutely love it. It's balmy and sweet at the same time <3

JasmineLilac
JasmineLilac

This version of opium is TERRIBLE--nothing like the original (which I enjoy but find too strong to wear in public).

Even the summer 2004 opium had something in common with the original, though the summer version was lighter.

This newer Opium is watered down, as another reviewer said, and maybe a bit sour.

Another thing: the new Opium's bottle is just plain ugly and non-feminine: it looks like something in which cheap men's cologne would be packaged.

What are the YSL people thinking?

veronika.norutytė
veronika.norutytė

I'm addicted to this perfume. It makes me feel like a different person. The smell is just hypnotising.

athenian
athenian

If you really like "Opium" try to get a bottle of the original EDT or Parfum on Ebay. The reformulation has nothing to do with the original.

kitten_steele

A little update(on these new formulations, I have not tried the old ones). The review I did, was for the EDT. Later I bought the EDP. Those two start out similar, with the tar smell on me, but while the EDT continue to be tar-ish all the way, plus alittle burning coal, the EDP loose the tar during the drydown and brings out wonderful flowers. I thought the EDP would be so much stronger and even more tar-ish, but it's of a similar strength, maybe even softer, and it came out just beautiful on my skin, with the flowers. I think the EDP is the way to go. I bought the bodylotion too.

Like I've said before, I never knew the old Opium, but this version is fine to me, especially the EDP! I guess, what you don't know ain't hurting you, eh!

ilprezzo

Was in a Perfume Sto yesterday and tried both the EDP and the EDT!!!
OMG!
It has NOTHING to do with what Opium used to be. A silly watered down something that doesn`t know if it should turn sour,spicy,or just plain boring and shallow.
I wonder how high the Dip in Sales got since this Crap hit the Market. I just can`t imagine an Opium Lover who tried it,would actually buy it.

Lucialuz

very good perfum. Incense + cloves + soap. Exquisite, special, oriental!

Amarilis60
Amarilis60

it is "castrate" of the original formula ! shame on YSL! they removed 22 ingredients from the original Opium and selling this one now as OPIUM and for the same price!))) the most horrible thing is - testers of Opium in the perfume stores are the old Opium! people try tester and buy this one !! when I told an assistant about it she didn't want to discuss this issue! horrible! fooling us, as we are idiots, and capitalise on this famous name! crooks!

kitten_steele

After reading so many negatives about this perfume, I never in my life thought I would buy it. Well, I did and I don't regret it. Having tried so many perfumes over the years and so many out there smells similar, I felt I wanted something really different and also "offensive". Something that would really wack me in the head, if you know what I mean. Opium is all that. It's "kaboom". Unique and different. I've not smelled the original, but I like this one. I have the edt and it's amazingly strong for an edt. I wonder if I would even dare try the edp. I think the scent reminds me of tar. It smells alot like tar to me. It's also surprisingly fresh, which I could never imagine. I think it's the tar smell that makes it fresh, 'cause tar is kind of fresh. It's summertime and around 25-26 celsius outside, but I wear Opium despite that. I think it works even in hot weather. First time I used it, I oversprayed it, 'cause I felt it was mild and fresh on the first few sprays, so I sprayed some more. Then 7-8 hours later, I felt nauseus. So you gotta be careful when spraying. Don't let the initial mild and fresh scent fool you. The fresh scent of tar stays with me almost all day. After maybe 7-8 hours later, the myrhh takes control.

I had a tar schampoo in my teens and Opium smells just like it. I really like Opium because it's so unique and daring, a bit offensive, a bit "kaboom".

jesseg
jesseg

i can say that the edt on my clothes reminds me of the vintage opium that i adore....but on my skin it spicy oriental but with a rubber edge

joliecat

This is the reformulation of Opium. Most of the spices and several other ingredients have been removed in this version, so it's not exotic or unique like the original formula. The bottle was changed to this style, but they didn't tell customers that the original formula had also changed. They sold a lot of Opium in this bottle, but when customers discovered the juice inside was different from the original formula, most refuse to buy Opium ever again.

Now, this current version of Opium is OK, but it's just another well blended nice rich floral scent, and yes, it lasts a long long time on skin. However, compared to the original formula, this frag is no longer appealing to me.

I will not buy Opium ever again. I refuse to pay exhorbitant prices for discontinued vintage Opium.

Luckily, reading reviews on this website, I've been able to find other strong spicy frags that I love just as much as I loved the original Opium formula.

Whether you like or dislike a frag, your opinions are very educational and extremely helpful. Thank you ALL so very much for your reviews !

leorine
leorine

I have no idea about the original 1977, I wear new EDT, the opening is with a strong scent of aldehyde like fire which continues through the heart of the perfume with smell of bay leaf, in the middle tones the carnation, coriander and peper is very strong, the bottom notes are not strong it smells like a soft woody incense at the end at least in my skin

Annica
Annica

It's not often I use the word horrible in terms of a perfume, but it is the only word I can think of when I smell this. It smells like toilet cleanser.There is not one shred of similarity with the Opium vintage. They are light years apart in my opinion.

vxgas
vxgas

I know not many women like this scent but if my girl wore Opium I would be obsessed!

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Oh, I love the reformulated EDP...

It`s one of the VERY few perfumes nowadays that actually lasts for days, and has sillage that REALLY can knock you over. You get real value for your money.

Spicy, balmy, warm, erotic... smells like christmas in a bottle.
No nasty/sharp/bitter/sour notes, just smooth, magical roundness.

Sex in a bottle.

amigdala
amigdala

A scent of carnation,with spice and balsams...wonderful fragrance,without other words!!

personsa22
personsa22

An uncompromising portrait of "fuck you, I'm rich as hell and I dont give a shit if you ever like me, but you aren't allowed to forget me!"

Little Cooling
Little Cooling

No no no NO! What is happening? This is NOT the Opium, I adore. What is wrong with L'oreal? They should be banned! The Original Opium in edt formulation is the best, ever. It seems like, I can't get my hands on it anywhere. At the shops, where I live, only have the edp formula, it this boring bottle :/ I need to go search on the net, to find the beautiful edt, which I miss so much. The edt is the most amazing, mystique and bewitching scent. Ever. And the bottle for that, is just amazing. This bottle looks boring and not classy at all. PLEASE YSL, do bring back the original edt in the original bottle. Thanks.

Carnation
Carnation

Dreadful would be an understatement. Hideous would describe this reformulated atrocity perfectly. What happened to Yves St. Laurent's iconic fragrance that broke ground when it was introduced in 1977?
I visited an in town ULTA store yesterday to see what perfumistas had been talking about for some time. What I found made me want to burst into tears: A sour smelling concoction with some cheap spice thrown in that is identical to the scent given off by those gas station bathrooms that you really don't want to use, but nature just won't let you hang in there until you find more suitable accomodations.
If you really want to do justice to this legendary perfume, PLEASE choose vintage.

MissLola
MissLola

I had it, i give it away, first spay is good, after a half hour, í'll get a rubber/plastic smell, really unplessant, on my skin a no go! i have never known the old version, i believe that one was so much better, al the reformulated one's are never good.

Annelien1987

Smells very nice (EDT). I really like it, it's different yet classy. Smells like a sexy vampiress, very seductive. It can be a bit old fashioned, but today I was in the mood for a heavy oriental.

Starts of very old fashioned, very citrusy and green, I never like that. But that fades away after about an hour on my skin. Then I get the soft rose and the heavy incense, like entering a church. I kinda like that. I don't get the reviews saying this has no staying power, because on my skin it really lasts a long time and I do have difficult chemistry, I need heavy fragrances otherwise I don't smell them.

Anna_V
Anna_V

I was very worried about ordering this product after getting a bottle from a local store which smelled nothing like my favorite perfume, and I returned it and they gave me another bottle, and again, it was not Opium. I ordered from e-bay, and waited anxiously, while reading all your comments about how the formula has changed. I received my order today, and it is wonderful! It is exactly the fragrence I remembered, and can't stop sniffing and smelling:) I am a very happy shopper, and am so glad I found it!

jackie.trieber
jackie.trieber

There is NO WAY this is the same fragrance. In 1977 I began wearing Opium. It was the most delicious perfume ever. I loved it so much I used to order it from Herrods in London because EVERYTHING smells better when it comes from outside the US...especially Opium. I still wear it and I am heart broken by the new version. YSL needs a lesson in brand loyalty... We should all email YSL corporate offices! YSL does this with popular lipsticks as well. #22

My take on the new version is they had leftovers from a bunch of unsuccessful cheep perfumes and they tossed them all together. The new one is disgusting!

If you think the new one smells like the old one you either have a deviated septum or the flu!

Opium original was more complex than a Tolstoy novel. It was a symphony...Franz Liszt, Chopin and Bach in a bottle.

The new version is like being in a distorted reality...it's like having Tilda Svenson as the new Kate Moss.
This is the biggest blunder since M & M's didn't choose to be in a little blockbuster called ET.

YSL take a lesson from Chanel..."Market Research". Change your spokes person...not your fragrence. You had the biggest hit in the perfume industry next to Chanel No 9...what is your problem.

You can still get the original version on line in the original packaging. Just put it in your frig and it will last...hopefully until they come to their senses( pun intended)

YSL...you are off my Christmas list!

claudia26
claudia26

Wonderful. I love it.

MademoiselleMimi
MademoiselleMimi

Oh, Yves! Why do you try so hard to make me dislike you?!! All I wanna do is love you, but I just can't stand to be around you when all you do is smell like Tiger Balm and old, funky incense! :P

ALaM
ALaM

I'll say the same thing here as on the "original" opium page. It's just as relevant.

This sure was a refreshingly unique, distinctive fragrance to me after smelling fruity-floral after fruity-floral (many I can be vaguely fond of or even like, and some are actually original and distinctive - but rarely enough to dish money out for) to the point of numbed scent-reception, nausea and frustration. I'm sure the reformulation may be a bastardization of the original but among the fragrances that major dept stores (at least in the U.S.) are buffet-feeding us...this is still a classic, original, interesting, beautiful fragrance with character, strength, sillage, original composition - things people have become deathly afraid of, it seems. I don't detect any one note but rather...a bunch of notes come together to create a new scent all together. Stop complaining about the reformulation or I'll hand you the Ed Hardy and Juicy Couture and you can hand me the "ruined" Opium and I'll happily be on my way.

Note: I've smelled the two side by side...yes, they're different. The new one is, as expected, less "potent". I still stand by what I said - put the reformulated version up against - say - Wonderstruck, Viva La Juicy, or Chance and try to say it's a disaster with a straight face. Depleted resources are a major reason for a lot of reformulations. Not a whole lot we can do about that, can we? Enjoy a gem when it's sitting right in front of you, not when you're looking back on it after it has kicked the bucket, so to speak.

Note 2: I definitely didn't smell the bug spray anyone else is talking about, either. Perhaps a bad batch or tester? I don't know...but yes...the original is better but this one is great in it's own right.

movs
movs

Opium was for several years my signature perfume. I still remember that rich spicy perfume, lingering for hours. The exotic mixture of incense, cinnamon, amber, sandalwood etc. made me think of a fairytale from "One Thousand and One Nights".

I tested the new so called Opium recently because I liked the new bottle. I couldn't believe my nose. Opium has been diluted! The scent was still there, somewhere in the background, but only as a faint echo of what it used to be. Most prominent note was a loud and awful chemical note, like burned rubber or motor oil (that I by the way also detected in the reformulated Obsession). Is it some sort of fixative that they use in the new/reformulated perfumes or are the "noses" of today robots, who like the smell of oil and chemicals??

This is NOT "Opium".
So sad to see how you can trick the customers by "stealing" the name from an old classic gem, put it on a low quality product and sell it at a high price.

Another masterpiece gone forever.

In 3 words (addressed to L'Oreal):

SHAME ON YOU!

Bandit
Bandit

This new version is so awful, I don't have words for it. It smells like bug spray, at least like bug spray my grandma used in the early 80s in Germany to get rid of mosquitos (you remember the time, when we all believed in the chemical industry?).

I mean, c'mon: Who on earth wants to smell like this? It is not worthy the tag "Opium" and Yves Saint Laurent will haunt us all for that dreck, I promise you.

polunata
polunata

Rude and aggressive, nothing in common with the real vintage stuff!

Shyn's Release
Shyn's Release

I took me a while to write a proper review about this fragrance.I was on the fence about buying this.I was undecided about if I should buy Rihanna fragrance which I really liked or Opium.One spray of Opium and it literally blew all the others including Rihannas away.It is so rich elegant spicy sexy oriental in short amazing.Most of all it lasted and lasted.And the funny thing is when I tried to use other perfumes it just was not the same as Opium.I am under its spell.So I will be buying it as soon as I can.

ANSD

I have already made lots of comments to this perfume, but I still have to say that it has a legendary longevity on my skin and clothes, even in EDT concentration. It holds like a limpet to my jackets and shirts. I am a sillage monsters fan, because I have a special skin, that doesn't hold perfumes easily. Thus, I have to wear intense perfumes like Angel, Jungle, Dior Intense, Alien and Terre d'Hermés, but I have never seen a stuff like this...even after 2 days, I still can smeel its smoky and balmy smell on my clothes...fantastic!!!

Lushylori
Lushylori

I really tried to like this scent but I just don't.
I love the new bottle and I love its name and I love Yves Saint Laurent (Mostly the hand bag lines) But I just can't like the smell of this.I smelled it years ago when I was a child and thought...YUCK!!! So a few weeks ago I sprayed some to give it another chance thinking that maybe my taste had matured (which it has) But this smells like Perfume when its gone bad.Like an old fashioned perfume that has turned.
Sorry to all you Opium fans..I did try though :)

reignydaze
reignydaze

LOREAL....ASSASSIN...YOUVE KILLED HER!

maria-clara
maria-clara

Opium, the original version. I had it in the late 1970s/early1980s. Opium was THE fragrance to wear. At that time, if you entered a discotheque or any trendy place the air was filled with a mysterious heavy cloud of Opium. I was 18, 19 years old. I was involved in a love affair with a somewhat older man who had seen the world. To him I symbolized the young, exotic, femme fatale. To me he represented so many fantasies, I cannot even start to describe it. Our passionate, destructive love affair evolved around opium. He had an affair with the real stuff (O) and I was hooked on the perfume. I loved the bottle, the smell, the mystery, the exoticism. My lover showed his passionate love for me by buying me the largest bottle of Opium, time and time again. I was never without. One day I dropped my huge, fresh bottle on the bathroomfloor, it slipped out of my hand. For months the bathroom smelled like Opium. It couldn't be washed away. It was too much, like our love was too much. The love-affair ended, and I never used Opium again. After the overdose in the bathroom, I disliked the scent very much. Two years ago, I wanted to try it again, remembering how I used to adore and love my Opium, before the bathroom-incident. I got a sample of the new edition. I tried it for a couple of days. Compared to the Opium I remember the new edition seems like a thin, girly, watery smell. Nothing at all like the mysterious, exotic scent of a femme fatale that could bring back memories of passion and destruction.

meg1969
meg1969

Go ahead...criticize the reformulation, but its earthy, exotic, arid, resinous quality is still seductive. I imagine Cleopatra could have seduced Julius Ceasar wearing this, except in today's version, the dress would be synthetic. So what if it's not the same as the original, this is still sexy without being skanky.

I see "citrus" in the notes, but do not smell it at all...nor does it smell "sweet" to me. I get a woodsy, smoky, incensy feel of mystery. Sillage and holding power are fabulous. I am talking two days later I can still smell it fabulous - so wear sparingly not to overwhelm or offend.

sallyjwong
sallyjwong

I love oriental fragrances. I tried the original Opium once many years ago, but I can't remember why I never purchased it nor what it smelled like compared to the new version. The new reformulated Opium is a scent that needs time to develop on the skin so that it reacts to your chemistry and have the heart of the fragrance come out. I recently received a sample of the EDT version of Opium. When I first spray it on, it smells very strong and almost repulsive. It has a smoky smell to it which conjures up warm feelings of snuggling up in front of the fireplace on a cold evening. Once it develops, the lovely spicy and floral notes come out. Opium is a fragrance that grows on me. It is a bit addictive because the more I wear it, the more I love it. I would only wear it on cold winter nights.

aqua76239
aqua76239

I didn't know that it has been reformulated because it smells the same way to me. Granted I never owned it, only tested it but appears to be the same scent.
When I first smelled Opium, it was 1989 and i was a teenager. A relative bought it and sprayed half a bottle on herself and I just thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. Fast forward couple of years-I've been wearing Samsara for a while and developing interest in fragrance, when I smelled it on someone-very spicy slightly smoky scent that reminded me of Middle Eastern bazaar. I thought it was very unique and interesting but not quite my cup of tea.
I tested it recently and just a whiff of it brought so many memories back from the time I was younger. Its very spicy and cinnamony(if there is such a word). This is kind of like walking into spice shop and smelling all the spice essences in the air. I don't detect any sweetness in this whatsoever, its its smoke and spice all the way. Very unique and unforgettable. I don't think I can wear it myself but I always recognize it on other women and find it quite beautiful on others.
Lasting power is fantastic-one spray on the card lasted couple of days.

Nicole79

The bottle is very attractive and this makes me want to test the reformulated Opium bcz i might just like it !
The original one was too much for me to take : strong, in you're face, so old fashion !
This one could be more rounded, less strong and of course less dated , just like Poison, i like the reformulation more than the vintage so go figure !

calyx93
calyx93

What's pictured above and what's being reviewed on this particular page is NOT the real Opium. It's been surgically altered to be more acceptable to the dumb masses. Don't be fooled by YSL's slick, new packaging.

Seek out the original if you want to experience the real thing. Buying this stuff is akin to buying Versace at H&M - it may have the name and look superficially nice, but it's a cheapened, dumbed-down facsimile. Don't be fooled by the reviews of this new crap - only those who've never experienced the original and those with "blind" noses will tell you that it's good.

Ugh. YSL is making me really sick these days. Thank God for eBay and new old stock.

the new commercial for Opium it's just asome <3
oooh how i love this scent, it's just perfect

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

For the ultimate oriental, look no further than Opium. Sniffing it today, it's utterly plausible to suppose that this was what Marlene Dietrich's Magdalen wore while blowing smoke across silk-lined train cars in the movie Shanghai Express. Decadent myrrh, nutmeg, opoponax, and amber fill the composition to a bursting point, saved only by its deliberate exoticism and natural volume. This fragrance is full-figured, and accepting of herself. It could make a fine masculine these days, although only if applied very lightly and in social settings. If I were to be totally frank, I'd consult younger men to explore other orientals before Opium. Old Spice would be a safer alternative, and there's no shame in wearing it. I must admit though that the prospect of meeting a woman who wears Opium fills me with desire, followed by a little fear, followed by desire again and again. A masterpiece.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I hear so many people with either negtive responses twords this beutiful perfume or the ''when I'm older....maybe then'' response.

When I was 20 (roughly 10 years ago 'cough cough') I instantly liked this, if overspryed it's cloying, but if handled responsibly it's a very classy alluring sexy fragrance.

Reminds me of CoCo Chanel but with spice (maybe coco chanel mixed with Givenchy's Organza Idencence, minus the rose)...but it's not a loud spice it's a very smooth creamy spice. very wearable and dare I say it, as much as I love CoCo Chanel (minus the rose and plus the extra spice)...this sometimes is a bit more interesting.. I would switch back and forth....because after wearing opium consistantly....(as with anything else) I need to switch things up and the spices after weeks of wearing do grow tiresome, but take a break for a few weeks and wham, smells new again :)

----to comment below .. I find the term ''Harlem Hussy'' highly offensive. You should choose your words wisely

And I've never heard anyone refer to Yves Opium as ''candy''. I'm almost questioning if you've actually sniffed this, lol

missymary
missymary

This new reformulation isn't Opium. But never mind, its an immodest seductive harlem hussy, and there's incensy oriental mystery going on. It has lotsa nerve, NO class. Lovely! No matter that it has "synthetic" written all over it.. We have to be glad even for new Opium, because at least it's a proper strong brassy perfume of distinction, in these days of bland and unmemorable fruity and candy juices.

I guess I'm grown old enough for this now :) While so far I always thought this is a big stinky fragrance I find myself with a sample this winter and am wondering whether I still dislike it or like it now. It is definitely not for young girls and it's best worn in winter seasons. I like a scent like Habanita and Opium seems to be in the same line - but without the sweet edge. I still have to test my sample more, but I like the strong myrrh in it, while the opening is still a strong blast. It's like you have to survive the first few minutes and then the scent grows on me :)

eilismaireg

I've recently fallen for this one, after finding it 'difficult' in the past. It was my mums signature in the 70's-80's, and I still remember the little red opaque bottle with the tiny window in and the tassle on the neck (must have been a limited edition or something). The new bottle is reminiscent of that one, and I find the scent to be the same, I can usually tell reformulations but this must be a good one if it's been fiddled with. Another for my list, sigh....
I must revise the statement above and add that the new version doesn't have the immense sillage and longevity of the older version, it also has a rather nasty plasticky note in the drydown. What a shame :(

watercolour
watercolour

I used to wear Opium EdP in the 70s when I was in my thirties. Now that I'm that
much older (but still craving an identifiable scent) I find I can't bear the
Opium Parfum I was given recently. It's just too strong, and smells over sweet!

It clings to clothes like a limpet. I would actually PAY someone to come and take
it away!

Eaugirlspirit

So I just tested this; I've always turned my shoulder at it but I've been interested lately due to the season and the wonderful reviews here. The initial blast was bitter and hard to take, but after 20 minutes it's dried down to a very soft, powder and woody base. I like it.

ANSD

Yesterday, I went to a Perfume store with 2 friends, One of them put Poeme...and It didn't last long on her. It smelled weak and blended. What a shame, I tought that poeme was a strong perfume, with an extraordinary sillage...but I was wrong. I put my beloved OPIUM in that perfume store, and in comparison with Poême, Opium lasts longer and has a much more better longevity. My friend said...I put Poême, but I can only smell your OPIUM, LOLOLOOL. Kudos to OPIUM!!!

Lilii
Lilii

unique, strong,long lasting, sex in a bottle...This is what I call a PERFUME.

aveda
aveda

Smoky, sexy, and hot! Sexy fragrance that envelopes you like a cloud of smoke. There's no tabacco listed as one of the notes but this does very much indeed smell like smoke. Sexy smoke, if you will. :)

Sillage and lasting power is good. Definitely a night fragrance. Like this one a lot.

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A mature musk smell with immense projection which floods the room..

0-8 Hours - Immense Projection, 5-6 feet around. The scent is very mature, musky to the point of smelling like damp

8 - 10 hours - The damp smell is less prominent and a spicy dry down occurs

Projection amazing, scent is foul for me, sorry not my cup of tea

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

My Husband bought me a bottle of eau de parfum, and I was thrilled to recieve the new flacon. I love the neat, elegant design, although as some have said it is somewhat awkward to use grace concerning its design! Although I love and appreciate a wide variety of categories, this particular Oriental couldn't have been more made for my chemistry if I paid a genius nose to create my perfect signature scent. The first application of the sweet spicy entrance and my mouth starts watering. It reminds me of delectible Indian desserts or creamy, sweet Indian Lassi. Once the perfume settles down into my skin,the new scent becomes absolutely seamless, as the combination smells in no way sour or off as it continues to have an intimate duet with my skin. With every other fragrance, I notice a funny moment when the scent is not in total harmony as if there is a sour note or something when it smells a bit akward. I do notice that the staying power seems to have decreased since my last encounter with Opium. It used to be a couple of short spritzes was plenty, now my chemistry seems to just gobble the stuff up, more than a couple times a day perhaps. My husband, who is crazy about Opium, tried some on and found the same thing. Mabee to do with the cheaper synthetic ingredients YSL is using now.

miahreis
miahreis

I had a very bad experience with this new bottle. I was in Macy's and I wanted to spray it on a paper strip. I mistake the atomizer for the cap, remove it and find there's no sprayer, so I place the "cap" back on, mash down, and SPRITZ! RIGHT IN MY EYEBALLS! OMG I was so embarrassed, I had to press my fingertips to my eyes for, I don't know it felt like forever to promote tear production, all the while praying to God that no one saw me MACE MYSELF AT MACY'S!

boyxtoy

THIS IS JUST THE MOST EROTIC PARFUM EVER!!
i'm so in love with this scent, it makes me feel like, i dunno, like, mmmmm xd ajajaja u get me xd ajajaja, it's just beautiful, full of mistery, and sex.

i have both, opium before 2009, and new opium, and i love both
but it's lastlonging, powerful the new one
the bottle, it's just beautiful, magic
the last bottle, was awful, almost cheap fragance bottle :S i hate it, it's just horrible, as the opium pour homme bottle :( just a shame
new bottle it's b e a u t i f u l
and the "new smell of opium" it's not a new smell
it's just a slightly change in the top notes, not that sweet and lighter as before
now, it's more "masculine" and powerful than ever, i love both, but i rather this one
it last days on my skin

mystica

A very key ingredient which makes the Opium Opium so far (till 2009 at least) is missing in this perfume.

I try hard to appreciate the reasons for a reformulation, but I just cannot tolerate YSL's trying to fool their customers saying this is the same "elixir" in a new bottle. I feel scammed really, and I am angry. (and there are many many loyal customers feeling like me.) let me rephrase why:

1- I have lost my Opium till the end of my life. I am now going to stock as much pre-2009 Opium as I can, I will spend a lot of money and as perfumes have a shelf-life this will satisfy me for let's say a maximum of 5 years. I will be Opium-less, whatever I do.

2- I have unknowingly already spent a lot on a bottle of this new Opium.

3- And what I have is -something which mimics the original Opium but not Opium, that is- nothing.

LaPetite
LaPetite

These "Femme Fatale" scents are definitely not for me , i try hard, i can't love them !
One thing about the staying power , i think it is really good , because my sister is working in a perfume factory , and a colleague smashed an Opium bottle next to her , and even after washing her clothes , the smell of it stayed and stayed !

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Opium is a thing of beauty. Smoky, sexy and oh so mysterious. Very unique and sophisticated. Unlike the 80s, you will no longer find everyone wearing it. Now, you know that it is a more unique fragrance that will set you apart from all the other sugar drenched fragrance wearers. A true masterpiece

- C xx

ANSD

I love the old and the new OPIUM, but I think, that the last one has a better sillage and longevity than the original...it lasts DAYS!! It is incredible even for me, a fan of strong fragrances...

CathyGQ
CathyGQ

I agree with ANSD Fantastic FRAGANCE !!!

For EDP:

In this reformulation, the myrrh which gives Opium its smooth sweetness is nearly hardly recognizable in comparison to the *original* EDT.

Opium 2009 smells HEMP, motor oil, and leather to my nose in its heart notes. At the dry down, this very successfully synthetic but nevertheless synthetic combination takes even a stranger turn and smells like sweat to my nose.

The original EDT is what real Opium smells like to me, and you'll understand particularly at the dry downs that Opium 2009 has certainly nothing to do with it.

As for the flacon:

Though it looks good, it's quite anti-functional. I have hardships in spraying this one (especially when I put some lotion into my hands) as the ball shaped stopper is hard to grasp with my slim fingertips and annoyingly slippery. Once when I was trying to spritz some perfume behind my knees my finger briefly get pinched between the ball-stopper and the bottle neck, ouch, and damn!

Also, in reply to a point in a previous review I must add: I checked, and the spray pipe does perfectly reach the bottom of the bottle. Just have a look at the bottle under some strong light source, and you will be able to discern that though not the black spiral cover but the pipe itself touches well bottom of the container, hence there is no risk of wasting the product this way; it will anyway be wasted enough due to the stupid stopper:)

Sum: I adore the original Opium. This one leaves me confused.

maddame
maddame

When I first smelled it, I thought "hmmm, interesting". It smelled like pepper and spices to me.

But then, the Mister smelled it and said it stank like cockroach spray. Now I can't get it out of my mind.

Maybe a bit dated for 2010.

Pinni
Pinni

Initially I loved it for the oriental feel in it! I was already thinking about buying it.
After smelling some other scents in between I came back to it and didn't like it at all. It smelled totally different! I think I smelled some ylang ylang I've always associated with parfumes for old ladies.

I think I'll go smell it one more time as I really loved it the first time. I'm hoping to like it again.

mehrdad
mehrdad

OPIUM - EAU DE PARFUM

Natural Spray PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Discover the myth of OPIUM reinvented.

A perfume of an outrageous and evocative name, Opium is a gate open on a fantasy world, a trip to the unknown, to an extraordinary elsewhere, mysterious, full of sensations and emotions.

Back to the roots of Opium, the new aesthetic of the Eau de Parfum bottle refers to the original inrö.

It glorifies mystery, voluptuousness and modernity of the item.

Size: 30 ml , 50 ml

به نقل از سایت تولید کننده

sandlight
sandlight

The new flagon for Opium has a design fault, i.e. the perfume that remains at the end of the bottle which is about 2 centimetres can't be reached by the spray, so how are you supposed to use it?

oyster_horace
oyster_horace

if the original opium is heroin, the new version is the methadone, which tricks your body and tells your receptors that "it's the same" but doesn't get you HIGH.

this one (new edt) is not even worth mentioning, awfully synthetic, it has lost the exoticness, complexity, intensity, incense and wood vibe.

and most importantly, it has TOTALLY lost the addictiveness of the original opium(the heroin!!).
that's why i call this the methadone

RIP Opium(1977-2009)

AveParfum
AveParfum

I own and love the old formula, but the new formula is really nice! I definitely pick up other notes very clearly such as incense, woods, cinnamon, pepper, and maybe even the teenciest hint of smoke. It makes me fantasize about riding a camel to an oasis in Morocco where I would spend my days lounging around smoking a hookah, eating chevre stuffed dates, and drinking mint tea.

COMPARISON WITH OLD: This new version seems a tad modernized. I can see how they kept the original essence but revamped it to appeal to and blend in better with the current market. The opening is fresher, a bit more floral and citrusy, slightly less shocking to the senses. The drydowns after 15 minutes are identical (I sprayed the new version on one wrist and the old version on the other wrist). I daresay that the reformulation is a beautiful take on a classic fragrance, but I can certainly understand how those who have loved Opium for many years would be upset at the changes, especially if they were not aware that the new packaging meant a new formula. Give the new one time to dry down on your skin, and maybe you will grow to treasure this new varietal as well.

sjbst17
sjbst17

My number one perfume. I have been wearing Opium for years. I didn't notice a huge change with my current bottle. It's not too flowery or sweet. It has a warm aspect and it works perfectly with my chemistry. I imagine that it smells exotic and slightly mysterious on me. Someone once said that it smelled like cinnamon. I don't get that...then again, cinnamon believe it or not is a sexy smell...APPARENTLY, cinnamon triggers a sexual response. I heard about that from Dr. Amen. Again, it doesn't smell like cinnamon to me. Although a man could never wear it, there is too much floral for that, it is a more masculine (think men's cologne) or I should say gender neutral scent. As for me I wear makeup and dresses and high heels daily and I love perfumes. But, I don't like too floral or sweet. It seems that my favorite perfumes are not the most popular and other women either really like or really dislike them.

andrada2003
andrada2003

OMG, what a huge disappointment! Another blind purchase, I was thinking of the clasic Opium, the one which I used to love when I was younger, and then I got this...
Absolutely awful. It's so masculine I gave it to my husband. It smells like man aftershave, nothing feminine, nothing like the old Opium. Shame on you, L'Oreal! You manage to ruin something good.
But you can use it as air freshner. Works pretty good in bathroom, after you know what...

Trvevil
Trvevil

e.e The new regulations, restricting of ingredients.. whatever cause for reformulating old perfumes... Is bad! First time in my mind crept in idea about what if the good scents are gone and we will be stuck with all these pink toilet waters? Fragrances don't even have note pyramids anymore in most cases [might spotted that notes are in line now mostly?]. Still, there's niche, but anyways D: Cause, to be honest, I kept every review at positive level, this time I'll say it - its disappointing. Chanel could reformulate their fragrances and new ones are respectable. Why others can't ? n.n
Start is nice - old fashioned, fancy, interesting. ...until you end up with spicy old soap on your wrist. Flat and uninteresting, no depth whatsoever. I like Belle version though. I tried an older Opium flanker and it was good as well. -This- is just sad.

P.S. At whoever listed chemical ingredients as notes - O.o I thought they keep parfum ingredients a secret.
+ btw who's the Nose?

Singabera
Singabera

I do really like it, I like the old one, I like the new one, they are different, but have the similar character - strong, warming, making you feel safe and calm.

Lashala
Lashala

I've been in love with Opium for many, many years (aprox.10) and currently I wear the "new" one (which means in a new bottle - not Belle d'Opium: that one seems... let's say in polite way: unispiring, flat and boring). Yes, I agree that Opium has been changed a little (or reformulated to be precise), but I don't think it spoilt the potion at all. It's still Opium in all its beauty and glory! The new mixture seems to be more rounded and slightly sweeter (at least EDP). However it doesn't mean worse and less mysterious or even vulgar. I still love it and feel the urge to defend the "new" one - it doesn't deserve all the attacks.
And I don't think it was changed due to attract younger generation but formal/legal restrictions demanded intervention to the juice.
Last but not least - in comparison to the "old" Opium, the "new" one has worse initial blast but better drydown - on me at least.

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

of course this has not only 4 notes left in it, EVERY parfume has at least about 30 notes in it but rarely they tell all their secrets! think twice before posting dear.

about opium i can t tell so mutch, i ever disliked it and oi took a whim in a perfumestore of the new reformulated version and i could't tell the difference, just as awful as always. maybe little less heavy.

Eleiria
Eleiria

Horrific. Nothing more than a drop of tobacco cologne. Ughh..

guest_kittymoon
guest_kittymoon

I tried this new version of it and it starts nice and promising but soon it turns into smokey soapy old lady smell. I remember the original version being more sweet, insency and rich. But maybe it was me then, being overwhelmed in the 90th with something that strange and different and they just repackaged it but it's the exact same scent? I don't know ...

Endymion

Opium is the most iconic and well-known fragrance in the world right after Chanel No 5!
Can you imagine Chanel changing the formula (and the package drastically) of No 5? No way, because Chanel is led by smart people.
Stupid, stupid people at YSL! Shame on you! You should have made a modern version of Opium (and keep the original) like they did with Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere!

guest_Belle
guest_Belle

I'm glad I didn't spray this on myself. I heard of the legend that is Opium, so I was curious as to what it smelled like. Sprayed it on paper and brought it home. It smells old lady-ish, I handed it to my dad and he agreed. It smells skunky, if occasionaly fresh. Bleh. Surely the original doesn't smell this way?

guest_OzzeyEffie
guest_OzzeyEffie

Now I hope you all know that L'Oreal have bought (Destroyed) the brand YSL???
According to the "Sales Rep" I deal with... They (L'Oreal) re-vamped the old Opium due to falling sales. The "NEW" fragrance was re-vamped a hint more Jasmine and less of the woody/spice tones. As a business owner, in the perfume industry in Australia for 20yrs, I bought some stock as the price was great thinking that is was the old version. I bought my usual 50/20/10 of Eau De Toilette/Parfum/Body Cream, which would sell well before 6months... 13months later I have 45/19/10 and have had all my usual customers abuse me for L’Oreal’s deception/destruction/screw up of a much loved fragrance. The majority of my new customer are disgusted by the so called “NEW” smell... one comment is its shit!! Another was I wouldn’t put that crap on if you payed me!!!
I have sent all the remaining stock back to the twits/idiots/ @ L’Oreal, along with a petition that I got everyone who uses/tried the “NEW” Opium in the store over the last 6months(over 4739 signatures...) all saying it’s crap.... I have lost all my regular Opium customers and have not sold a single unit in 12months... I will not be stocking "Opium" any more.

guest_FridaysChild
guest_FridaysChild

I have worn Opium for years and just received the "new" today. IT IS NOT OPIUM! It is not even close. It has no mystery or depth. It is like a very sad and cheap imitation. Now what do I do? Grocery store perfume has to be better than this.

guest_debob
guest_debob

Just look at the notes compared to the old Opium. They took out 27 notes and left us with just 4. There is no more incense. What's going on? This can't possibly smell exactly like the old Opium. Are they still going to make the old formula? I noticed that there are several perfumes with Opium in the name, so is this one of them, just a version?

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

I don't understand if the previous reviewer is saying this is a new scent, somehow reformulated, or just in a new bottle? Or if they are talking about Belle di Opium.. which is the new scent in a blue bottle. Opium is not new. It smells the same to me, the way it always has to my nose. If you want a stronger version then you need the parfum. This is so sensual and I love it in the Winter or evenings. It's so alluring that only a light amount gets attention. I do like the new bottle. I think it looks more luxe than the original. A slight difference is expected. Brands have to change some scents over time in order to stay modern and make a profit. I know that people don't want their perfume to change, but the YSL brand suffers if Opium isn't selling. This is a hard perfume to sell to most people who are used to squeaky clean florals or fruit punch perfumes. They also stand to gain more attention to the scent from a younger consumer, and in statistics they shop more and do buy more products. There are not just four notes in this perfume. This bottle comes in an EDT and EDP version. I'm going to compare them and update soon.

i bought the new opium- because the package only indicates it is a new bottle-
good luck to ysl with this new fragrance- not only is it false advertising but, the scent is awful.
you know who is rolling over in his grave!

guest_opium
guest_opium

I love love love it!!!
I always like the old opium but I alwys had to spay it like 3 hours before I left because it was so strong. the new opium is much softer

Cereza
Cereza

I dislake "old" Opium because of my trauma that a woman had taken a bath in it and sat next to me in a bus. But oh boy, this even WORSE. At least the "old one" had a bouqet, classyness, power, this is just vile. Mettalic, bitter and vile.

Please, if you want to wear "Opium" - fine, but do wear the old version, not this disaster.

miriel
miriel

Another great perfume gone. Thank god I bought a nice vintage 60ml bottle... Go buy youselves old Opium because you'll miss it...

Natalie467
Natalie467

Yesterday I saw the tester for this in Macy's and wanted to give it a whirl, so I could compare it to my vintage bottle at home. The new bottle looks like a a splash, so I preceded to pull off the top, only to discover that this was indeed a spray. Whoops. Put the top back on the best I could and left.

Some did spill/leak onto my hands and it smells so-so, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. It does not have the same intoxicating, headiness and rich as the original-the new struck me as being sweet, why does everything today have to be sweet?!!

nada
nada

the scent is not identical to former opium :((( So disapointing - my best perfume ever gone...

Endymion

I was "lucky" to get in hands the new designed bottle of legendary Opium. What a disappointment! :(((
Although the design is not that ugly but the quailty is sooooo cheap that it hurts!
It feels so light and the spray is unstable like a very cheap fake product. Terrible!

i actually went out and purchased the new bottled opium edt yesterday. i havent worn opium since 6yrs ago so to be honest cant personaly remember what it smelt like. i do remember the reaction it had on men. had 5 guys fighting over me while wearing this!. my son smelt this on me while testing he could prodimatly smell cinnamon. i smell cinnamon with citrusy undertones it def also has a slight smokey wood effectmaybe patchouli mixed with myrrh. im not getting any hint of floral in it. maybe its my chemistry as perfume smells different on different people.

eilismaireg

the bottle is much more modern and beautiful than the old one. I used to dislike this scent as my mum wore it to death in the 80's but I blasted myself with it yesterday and really enjoyed wearing it; though its lack of evolution bothered me more than the smell itself, which is wonderfully baroque. It makes you feel as though it should be midnight whatever time it is!

elusivek
elusivek

When this first went on it smelled spicy, sultry, & sexy but alas, that element took a backseat to the powder that blankets it :(
Strong and long lasting, just wish they could do away with the powder element.

Chandramukhi
Chandramukhi

I was gifted the new EdP. I never had Opium before, so I cannot compare, but I think this is a fragrance that you receive as a gift and want to sell the bottle the second after trying it and you cannot, not even for 20 bucks, then you offer it to a friend or colleague and their reaction is to sell it or to offer it. Terrible, smells like an old dirty sofa, and also floral in an old fashion way, in the tuberose register. Compared to this, fragrances from the 40ies seem young and avangardist.It has a cinnamon drydown, in fact cinnamon is its dominant note. Reading the ingredients on the box we can detect more notes: cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl cinnamate, amyl cinnamal, among others. It would be correct to list that on this site. The cinnamyl alcohol is has the odor of hyacinth. The benzyl cinnamate can be obtained from Styrax (or storax). The amyl cinnamal smells like jasmine.
Any other defect of Opium? well, it smels very cheap.

Kankuro
Kankuro

Buy as many bottles of the old Opium as you can! The juice that is sold in this new bottle is NOT Opium anymore. The EdT has a weak, watery and cola like scent. And the EdP is even more faint and smells inharmonic and bitter. Why, Yves Saint Laurent? WHY?

efm
efm

I recently purchased the perfume in its red lacquer bottle. I had forgotten how much fun it is. At the height of its popularity Opium was very familiar and almost ubiquitous - it was done to death. Also I don't believe the EDT did justice to the original jus as it could be a little strident.
It fell of my radar.

Decades later, I experience warm citrus and spice overtones that dry to a honeyed myrrh. It is without a hint of wood or leather, no hint of unisex appeal.

I find it a mood enhancer. I truly hope YSL have merely repackaged and not played with the composition.

bronstein
bronstein

If they changed only the falcon, then the scent is identical to the one filled into the original flacon. It's the same then, isn't it?

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Opium fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Opium, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Opium by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Opium by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.