Designers » T-Z » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

I have it: 548 I had it: 163 I want it: 321 My signature: 22

smoky
Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Opium arrived on the market in a new flacon in autumn 2009. Design of the flacon was developed by art director YSL Fabien Baron and Stefano Pilati. The new flacon features a sprinkle integrated inside its stopper. Notes of this edition are bergamot, mandarin, jasmine and myrrh. The new bottle is accompanied with advertising campaign the face of which is Karen Elson.

Bergamot Mandarin Orange Lily-of-the-Valley

Opium Collector's Edition 2014

Opium Fragrance Reviews

Alex1984
Alex1984

This isn't gonna be an actual review. I believe that most of us who have known the original in all its glory, have a very strong feeling towards this one, especially if the memories that it holds are strong and personal.
My mother still has a bottle of the original 1977 release. An edt that even though weakened, still packs a punch.
I've had numerous eBay samples of the vintage, of different eras, and some where not that good. Poor storage, time...some smelled great and others not so much.
The thing is that even though I keep hoping to find a perfect vintage, it's harder every day. Not to mention very expensive. So I've been conducting some experiments with current Opium and even though it's not the same, it brings it closer to its former glory. I've found that some drops of Youth Dew oil amplify the spices that are missing. I've also found that a spray of Absolue pour le Soir gives it the animalic heart that's not beating anymore. It feels weird to have a powerhouse so potent and gorgeous once, feel so muttered today. But combine the 3 together and it feels as if Opium is brought back. As if it pulsates with sensuality again. I'm not up to the task of pursuing eBay anymore. I also can't afford blind buying and risking every time. But I'm not willing to give up on Opium either. And if having to use 3 different perfumes to help bring it back to life is what it takes, then I'm up for it. Plus it enhances the longevity and sillage, something that the new one does not have in spades. And if you are wearing Opium, it's all the way or nothing; sillage and nuclear projection is a must. I'd love to hear someone else's thoughts if you give it a try. Also, if someone has more suggestions, or has found something that smells like 1977 all over again, I'd be happy to hear. Hope you enjoy the experiment!

tatonnement
tatonnement

My skin chemistry does not mesh well with this perfume.

I recall my mother wearing this religiously growing up when it was in the older bottle. She stopped several years back and switched to CK Euphoria. I recently purchased Opium because I was mesmerized how it smelled on my mother when I was young. Sad to say the scent is extraordinarly different. Even my mother cannot get back into Opium, not sure if it's because something was altered in the original formula or if our scent profiles have changed. Either way, I decided to give it a try. HORRID smell on my skin - suffocating, chemical, rancid with overload of cheap sandalwood. Instantly gave me a headache but I will say the longevity of this one is immense for the price you pay. I couldn't scrub hard enough. Even after several hours post scrubbing I could still smell it, the dry down wasn't any better then the initial migrane inducing boom. Returned it stat!

Odelia
Odelia

This thing is amazing. First of all, let's talk about longevity and silage (HUGE). second of all, for me it feels like a 3-in-1 perfume. It is so complex, very incensy in the beginning, middle notes more dark floral and a very very sexy sort of ambery woody dry down but still holding on to that hint of carnation and incense. One must definitely test in on the skin and give it some half an hour before judging. In any case, very very unique fragrance.

Bublegum
Bublegum

I finally smelled the reformulated version that everyone is whining about. OK I will tell something as a woman/girl that I am using Opium since my teenage years. I am kind of doomed to use Opium even if I don't want to since it is my father's favorite and always buying more and more for me (I seriously don't know what was he thinking buy this to a 13 year old girl but anyway). So having worn so much Opium in my whole life, I should have been start whining too. But not really. Yes the nw formula is weaker indeed in the meaning that the perfume has a little weeker sillage (yeah it went from enormous to just big) and smaller longevity. Yeah you will just smell half a day instead of the whole day. But in terms of smell, it really is identical. You either need to have a very picky nose or just dislike reformulations in general or be a whiner in order to notice that much of a difference. Meaning also that someone who is not as picky as the rest will just say: "Oh you are wearing Opium right?" Especially the opening is the same. Maybe the older one was more spicy? But I don't believe that people that they will smell you in the street/work etc will notice the note that went "wrong". For me it still is the same perfume and still stands above the rest of the typical/default perfumes that they are out there.

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

Yes, the scent is weaker than the original Opium of 1977.

But it is still the original fragrance, which stands out among the current smells for girls but not for women with attitude.

I have noticed that the smell functioning equally well for men (thanks myrhh and amber...!)

Maeva
Maeva

@amine.bz6:
Of course, why not? I actually know many men that wear this. One of them even told me that for him Opium pour Homme is much more "feminine" than this one (maybe because of the fruity notes?).

However, I don't think there's such a thing as "masculine" and "feminine" scents. Our nose only distinguishes between good and bad smells. It's only cultural prejudice that makes us censor our tastes. We should only wear the scents that make us happy, so if Opium makes you happy just go for it! :)

nitschevo
nitschevo

My mom uses Opium since it came out I believe. I love the smell of it and think that although the newer versions are not as "loud" as the old ones they're still great maybe a bit more wearable because sillage is toned down from 10 to 8 ;)

I'm 28 now and finally feel that I could get away with it! So this one is on my wishlist now. In my opinion Opium is all a scent should be: comfy like a blanket, alluring, sexy and a confident booster. Ah, I feel so decadent wearing this! :) It's absolutely unique and gorgeous!

amine.bz6
amine.bz6

Please can a man wear this one ?

Rebemario
Rebemario

My my my!! Get the smelling salts because I do believe I've got the vapors!! I am in love!!! An old friend of mine from high school used to use her mom's Opium which I thought was ludicrous at the time. For me, it was nice but for a woman who had lived a little. I could tell even then, it was for a woman of the world who had been through a few things and had stories to tell!

Now as a woman in my forties I have stories to tell and Ive gotta say, this perfume is bombastic! It is everything I wanted and sadly was disappointed of in Youth Dew. I sprayed on this and all the memories of my mom's Youth Dew came back flooding in. It's the spices, the tabernacle myrrh, amber and balsam. I wasn't sure to get this one but I will always be glad I did. This is my go to to remember my mamma, she had all the style and class of an elegant woman. She knew what was alluring without being vulgar or obvious. That takes style, class, that's what this smells like to me. If this is a reformulation, they did a damn good job at it!

TjRjn
TjRjn

One of my favourite perfums for winter.
Woody & spicy - very comforting.

antihero
antihero

Opium, I love you. An oriental spicy dream. Smoky. Myrrh and opoponax(sweet myrrh) and the carnation give me a sense of peace and joyfulness. I breathe this in and feel wonderful.
I tried the original formulation years ago, but wasn't ready for it. This new formulation is quite beautiful.
I love this, it is just amazing.

johanna.lindholm
johanna.lindholm

This perfume smelled like candle wax on me. It wasn't really unpleasant, but surprising. Also a lot of spicy myrrh. It's long lasting, and I didn't think that I'd like it as much as I actually did. The drydown is soft, a bit of vanilla, jasmin and myrrh, smells so comforting. I would say this is a very unisex fragrance, with a pretty heavy sillage.

gishgamesh
gishgamesh

I have never tried the vintage but I have a bottle of the current EDT and I LOVE it. Every wardrobe needs a fragrance of this type. Amazing, wearable, beautiful, mysterious, seductive, sensual, classic, and exotic. Wow.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I have decided I actually enjoy the smell of opium, but don't think I would wear it in the summer or spring, it's more of a cold season scent reminiscent of incense and toasted marshmallows:)

leschoux
leschoux

I adore Opium. It's the perfect spicy: warm, intense and full of personality. The problem? They made a new formulation for Opium and things just aren't the same.

The old one opens with a very spicy set of notes--all of which are bursting with boldness. It stays like that all the way. The spices and incense complement each other perfectly, like the marriage made in heaven. Unfortunately, the new one instead smells more like a very expensive soap. Too fresh for something that used to be very spicy. The dry-down is a disappointment too: the new one melts away into something that's rather sweet, which is not bad, but it's just saddening for anyone who has ever smelled the old formulation. If the old one is a very heavily spiced fruitcake that's bound to set the tongue wagging, the new one is gingerbread made with ginger essence instead of ground spices.

Overall, I still adore this, even though it's a shame that it's not as nice as it used to be. Perhaps YSL should really consider reverting to the old formulation because that's what makes Opium Opium: intoxicating, provocative, sexy and exotically sultry.

Rating: 9/10 (old formulation), 8/10 (new formulation)

massimilianoinquieto

Passare da opium originale a questa riformulazione è proprio un'esperienza deludente.
la nota di apertura è informe, aspra, piccante, aggressiva, disordinata, senza alcun senso, un miscuglio malriuscito. il cuore non ha senso, fugace, fa sentire due o tre elementi fioriti e continua il senso di aspro e di graffiante. è chiaro che tutte le essenze naturali sono state rimpiazzate da aromi chimici puzzolenti.

Inamorata
Inamorata

This fragrance, its intense scent, takes me back to the childhood days - my mum used to wear it then and she was very much in love with this perfume. Nowadays, i have rediscovered myself this YSL creation - it is a fragrance that will never ever evaporate from your wrist, your cloths or from any parts of your skin. This mix of patchiouli, amber, bay leaves and vetiver is deffinetely one for the books!! It is the kind of perfume that, ever since its launch, continues to beautify women's vanities and makeup tables.

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

Spice, Zing *sneeze*. It's very powdery in the opening but pleasant. I however, grew tired of this scent quickly. There's almost too much going on. It's very potent with NUCLEAR sillage and a descent longevity.

It's a mash of notes and I am finding really difficult to pick any one out.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Opium 2009 is sweeter, less resinous and spicy, barely any carnation, the dry down is not as fluffy as the original Opium.
And unfortunately - it´s a bit chemical.
The most beautiful moment comes about an hour after spraying, then it´s even nicer than the original version, only for a couple of minutes. Too bad it doesn´t last.
It then turns bitter/sour, chemical, sandalwood sweetness and myrrh fades away.
The biggest difference is the sandalwood.
Compare to incense sticks - while the original version is the best Nag Champa, the 2009 version is poor "sandalwood passion" from the cheapest market...
Longevity is good, about 10 hours on skin. Nice flacon

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

I grew up with Opium. My mother had a cabinet full of great perfumes and I was a child in the Eighties, so Opium was there. A big EDT bottle and also a little precious parfum bottle (which I used to go and smell when she could not see me).
For me, Opium was the perfect perfume of a lady.
Deep, sensuous, redolent of flowers, spices, incense. Smelling like an oriental night. Smelling like a Valide Sultan. Smelling lavish, precious. Breathtaking,
Sure, it was not everyone's cup of tea.
The sillage was enormous and so the staying power. You could smell it on your scarf for many days. It was an Eighties fragrance, a masterpiece.
What did YSL say about it?
"I will be the greatest, and we will call it Opium". It used to be the greatest, indeed.

Then, it was reformulated and when I found it out I could not believe it.
The EDT version currently available in shops is a pale shadow of the original perfume: screechy top notes, a weak dry down. It smells cheap.
I can just mourn, and buy all the vintage bottles I can find.
Shame on YSL, for what they did to Opium.

IsabelVerh
IsabelVerh

This one. Oh my god. Okay.

Usually I wear Mitsouko by Guerlain, and I tried this at the store today. I sprayed on way too much, but after a soapy water rinse it's all good. Allll good. I would describe it as follows:

Mitsouko is green tea with fresh peaches, for breakfast in silk kimonos. Opium is strong black tea after dinner, with cigarettes and black velvet. This is exactly how I would imagine Oscar Wilde's favorite hangout would smell.

It's a scent I would wear to a play or a classy cocktail joint - Opium is uncompromising and definitely unsuitable for casual wear. Through all the smoky goodness, it has a refined soapy quality that makes it very balanced and contained. Basically, it's me in a bottle. This is only the reformulated version, I imagine the vintage would knock me dead.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

To me, Opium is indicative of how a perfume can "choose you" as well as how subjective/individual perfume is on the biological makeup of your skin. When I smelled it for the first time at Sephora, I was bombarded by richness. Now that I've been wearing it on my skin for hours, only these words suffice: melted, enchanted, seduced.

I've not really been one for the classic seductress staples such as Samsara or Hypnotic Poison but Opium works so well for me. With Samsara I felt I was drowning in ashes. Whereas Opium also has an incense makeup, it is not overpowering. The amber, vanilla, bergamot, myrrh, jasmine and vanilla formulate sweet waves that harmonize perfectly. Woody, spicy perfection without any jarring shift in the composition.

It even has patchouli. I hate patchouli and automatically write off any fragrance with it. Opium, you have not only made me love you but you have hidden patchouli in that bouquet of love. You are formidable.

Wearing Opium, I don't feel exotic the way perhaps the marketing wants you to feel (and "exotic" is probably a problematic/colonial word anyway). Opium makes me feel luxurious, sensual, classy and irresistible. It's oddly not inappropriate for work. I think I've smelled it in various scenarios and places. A keeper!

divan.badenhorstbotha
divan.badenhorstbotha

This stuff is just hauntingly beuatifull !!!!!! If you can get the extrait it wil take the experience to another level. Niches may come and go but opium is forever!!!

ameliunim
ameliunim

Oh God. It's so heavy, like an incense and something from India. I can't breath it gives me migraine too. It is also so flat (I was trying to find something more than incense, but it was impossible). Heavy, sticky, banal incense. Not my cup of tea.

chowchow41
chowchow41

When the new version Opium edt came out i tried it several times but there is a note in the composition that doesnt agree with my skin. I think its the geranium that does that, i had someone that bought it from me.
Recently i was reading the reviews and i read that the EDP was great. I bought it and boy was i glad i did. Its so sweet, soft spicy and i dont get any weird note on my skin. My love is growing for this version, seriously. I do have vintage Opium but this one is also beautiful at its own. The EDT and EDP are different.
If the EDT isnt for you you should try the EDP its great. Im in LOVE.

elnaz_sn
elnaz_sn

This for some reason gives me a headache. I have to add that my mother wears it all the time so maybe its a psychological. seems very strong and bitter to me, not fun. but definitely chic

Daphne du Maurier
Daphne du Maurier

This is still Opium. It really is. Not just a ghost, it has only changed a little, shifted, just as a person can while still remaining oneself.

I loved the original in the 90's, when I was in high school, and one of my friends wore it all the time. Reading the reviews I was a bit nervous about trying the reformulation, but there were enough positive ones from long-term wearers that I gave it a chance, and I'm so glad I did. From the first sniff of the unsprayed bottle, I knew it was going to be worthwhile.

I won't mention the opening, they are rarely significant to me, and after just a few minutes, there is Opium. It might have a bit more powder than before...it's softer, and not as deep - or rather it is, but you can't smell the depth as readily because of the softer impact, and I think I actually like that better. The cinnamon stands out more than I remember, but I suspect that that is simply because I am aware now that it has cinnamon - I was clueless about notes before Fragrantica!

The ultimate proof for me that it has not changed too much is the way it transports me back through time and space. Every time I catch a whiff I am back in 1996-97, sitting next to Kristina in another friend's backyard in summer evenings...or shoe-shopping with her along Queen Street in the winter...or travelling through Spain together on spring break, and all the little memories are being filled in for me in a sudden, overwhelming flood by this new Opium, the sights and sounds around us and the feeling created by the air and light of those seasons. I was not expecting that. I am so happy to have this in my collection, and am not even tempted to hunt down the original.

This review was for the edt, I have not tried the edp.

EDIT: Something, some note, is absent from the drydown that was present in the original, making it feel incomplete, so I can understand why some fans are disappointed. I guess it depends what was most important to you in the composition. For me, this new version is beautiful and satisfying.

Yosa
Yosa

OPIUM - with a taboo name, and once almost banned, there is a lot to live up to!

But Opium does not fail. It immediately captivates with its strong aromatic smell.

It is a powerful, rich perfume. Close your eyes, and it takes you to a bazaar in Morocco. Or into a dark room filled with pillows on the floor... (Hippies, man, hippies!)

Dark brown, red and orange are the colors that would describe Opium the best - it is a heavy, powerful experience! It is definitely for evening wear, and for autumn/winter.

I love this scent, I love the story - the whole thing! But there is a catch: It is not a young smell. This fragrance needs someone mature to carry it, because it is so rich and powerful.

Natalia Oviedo
Natalia Oviedo

I'm really surprised with this perfume. My grandmother uses it and it smells great! Opium is too strong for my taste , however, I really don't dislike it at all, I find this fragrance very elegant, and feminine. It's a very woodsy frangrance, myrrh is there ever since the very start and until the end. I LIKE IT!!

-Nat

Jessamina
Jessamina

This used to smell of making love. It still smells hot and spicy. Maybe I've grown up with it... Opium is marianne faithful, a rich and powerful sex goddess. Exiting but perhaps you don't want to see her doing the dishes. Or perhaps you do... .? I love the musky jasmine and cinnamon but occasionally gets a bit carmen. Melodramatic.

Chava
Chava

This is my first ever review, so I'm picking my all-time favorite perfume: YSL Opium! I seem to be in the minority of young women who like this fragrance - most women my age seem to gravitate towards generic saccharine, fruity scents. If you own any Justin Bieber scents, Opium is not for you. It's for the bold, sensuous, elegant woman who knows what she wants!

To echo what others have said, the older version of Opium is much better. Stock up on vintage bottles if you can - I am so excited when I can grab one at Goodwill or an estate sale!

happyscent
happyscent

YSL Opium female - on my nose it is a powdery jasmin with hints of indistinct spices; I think a man can wear this under a shirt and will smell SEXY

Porsborg
Porsborg

As a man.......
This is the only scent that ever..made me turn around on the street!
Love it !

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

Opium is not the exotic, classic and sensual beauty I had hoped it would be. Instead, it transports me to a kitsch and nauseating world of yoga mats, cheap Oriental fountains, vegan diets and Deepak Chopra, whilst I choke from the incense that has replaced all breathable air.

After a couple of hours, it actually smells okay, but nothing worth the bumpy journey it takes to get there.

charlottesmom
charlottesmom

While wasting time in Lord &Taylor my two of my kids we perused the fragrance section I picked up Opium and showed it to my 11 year old son. My son decided he wanted to smell it, I told him no because it smells pretty bad, when I was putting it back I hit the nozzle and it squirted out on my hand and his jacket. It was even worse than I remembered, very strong patchouli and spices. We luckily had baby wipes in the car but that only helped a little, I washed my hands with coffee soap when we got home and more of the odor dissapated. Opium is a very strong perfume so I decided to get out the big guns...rubbing alcohol. Now 2 hours later I can still smell it a bit and it smells.....good! I can't do this method of applying perfume everyday so I will be passing on the Opium, I'll leave it for the ladies who can enjoy it strait from the bottle.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent is not a sweet, rich contemporary oriental a la Serge Lutens. It opens with a heavy dose of aldehydes, sweet florals—ylang ylang and jasmine—and a touch of citrus. The sweet floral/aldehyde combination, also found in Chanel No. 5, is just enough to add a “perfume-y” touch. Next, myrrh, resins, and spices add warmth that balances the cold opening. I love how earthy patchouli is offset by soapy florals; Opium smells very “70s”, but I think that one or two sprays after a shower could produce an elegant and freshly scrubbed effect. Four or five sprays could be a little bingo hall. Also, men really need to try Opium.

4/5 Retro, unisex, perfume-y, elegant

zquilts
zquilts

I hate to date myself, but is can't change the facts of life! I have been wearing this since 1983! I noticed the change in formula before I ever heard about it, and I do prefer the older version, but the new update is good and I have not found any other that I would prefer to use.

I think that this is a perfume that really does change quite a bit with personal chemistry, although it know that this line of thinking has been somewhat debunked in recent books. I have smelled it on some people and rally did not like it because it seemed overpowering and a bit harsh.?
On me it comes off softer, even a bit powdery. It does not shout - so I am told.

What can Is say? I love this scent, always have and probably always will unless the fiddle with it way too much.

I don't think that would suit everyone as well, but for me it's "the one".

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

i managed to purchase the pure perfume version, it is as astounding as the edt that i have on the old reformulation..the smell is not linear or too strong, just perfect with incense, gum, myrrh, flowers, amber etc..it is just nice...people compare a lot on edt and edp but i have yet to see comment on the pure parfum..suffice to say , i tried it and i like it...

Cascade05
Cascade05

Got a very distinct richness of its on. Smooth , exotic and fiery. Something spl of a winter night.
Worn it once on day and had a real bad headache. Also not a good idea to spary in on clothes. Smells better on skin ( personal opinion)

arrode
arrode

I've never smelled the old Opium, so I sprayed this version on a test card today and after an hour I'm smelling the card and writing this review. I am honestly surprised to see there are no aldehydes listed as a note since this reminds me of Chanel No. 5 in the sense that it smells "soapy" which I've always associated with No. 5 and thus aldehydes. The first spray was very clovey to me, but now after an hour it's less spicy and more aldehyde with some incense. Very nice, but I think I liked the opening notes better than what it's evolving to in the drydown. I'd love to get my hands on some older Opium!

Sherihan
Sherihan

Little different from the old version, the only difference is when I first spray it,this has a bigger top note,it is fresher,more aldehydic. But once I get to the lower notes, it is almost the same as the old one. The vintage one I have is somehow rancid a little and not fresh(from90's),but still I see similarity. My new one is from 2010's patch(I can tell from the code number on the bottle). Both has dirty rose base note,it is annoying in the old,but the new one stays fresh all the way.

Whit
Whit

This review is for the 2009 version.

Well Opium, you've been reformulated and vintage lovers everywhere must cry because you've changed. It's true, you have! I remember in the 80's when my mom wore you. Man, you were so strong! Everybody noticed you and asked what perfume you were.

With all that being said Opium, I actually like the new you. You're still a little incensy in your top notes and you still have that warm, smokey but cozy dry down. Why I wore you the other day and even my mom asked what scent you were! I told her it was you; yes, I was wearing Opium. Sure, you're not as strong as you once were but hey, you still draw compliments and to me, you're still a sexy little number. Just don't change on me again! You got that, Opium?!

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

Wow. Opium by Yves Saint Laurent, what an enduring classic.

My review is for the reformulated 2009 version in the eau de parfum.

Opium is perhaps my favourite all time fragrance. I am very much into deep, classic, spicy orientals and opium has all those three factors covered perfectly.

It is common to see people complaining that this 2009 reforumation is nothing like the original, which may be true, I myself have never had the pleasure of smelling the original, but, to me this 'new' opium is going to continue on the classic. This reformulation is sure to carry on the classic with new fans, like myself.

I have owned Opium Pour Homme, which is fabulous, but to me, the womens version is the best.

It is capitvating, long lasting, and elegant. I am a man, but have no issues with wearing female marketed fragrances, Opium to me defies gender, and is more of a way of living. It appeals to individuals who do not care what people think of them and have a strong sense of style that they like to call their own.

Every perfume lover must have an encounter with Yves Saint Laurent's opium at least once in their life.

I also, despite what many people say, really like the newly designed flacon, I think it fits in perfectly with Saint Laurent's love for oriental antiques, and I believe it looks very chic and elegant.

If you have not tried Opium before, and are an oriental fan you will fall in love with this.

This reformulation is perfect for the next generation who never got to experience the original.

ailishlu
ailishlu

This is a weaker version of Dana Tabu, which to my nose is a total duplicate of the original Opium (circa 1980) in the drydown. Don`t get me wrong, this is a beautiful fragrance, lightly oriental with that smokey feel. However it doesn`t last very long. I was at the store today and asked to try it. She first sprayed it on a card, then on the back of my hand. Mmmm, it still smells gorgeous on the back of my hand. Then she overdosed my clothing with it, and I have to say. The first spray is very strong, but like most modern perfumes, it quickly dissipates to practically nothing. I can still smell it on me, and my husband says it is very strong, but to be honest, at the price (75 Euros for 30ml)I don`t think it`s worth buying. I`ll just pluck up the courage to spray on my Tabu and wait for the drydown. Unless they have a major reduction in the store for Christmas. It certainly smells like a lighter version of my memories of the early Opium. 7/10 overall from me.
EDIT: This is the EdT version in the bottle shown above and this is the one I`ve just reviewed. Just to male things clearer.

lyciumchld

I'm leaving an updated review here, as I recently purchased a jar of the body cream and have been wearing the EDP and cream together.

The scent profile of the body cream (not the lotion!) is much more effervescent than the EDP, with a zingy opening practically bursting with bergamot. My first impression is "cinnamon flavored 7-up", or perhaps "7-up flavored cinnamon". That might sound a bit strange, but I really like it quite a bit.

I smooth the cream on fairly generously, then spray only the back of my neck and my wrists with the juice. This creates a veritable cloud of Opium, which follows me for several hours. The cream differs further from the perfume in that the bergamot stays with the cream throughout, though in later stages it is much softer. The perfume's dry-down, however, focuses much more on the sweeter opoponax with a hint of vanilla and a little patchouli. It's soft, sensuous, warmly spiced, and slightly medicinal. Spice notes remain throughout, though softer in later stages.

Opium lasts for several hours and has a nice, healthy silage. If you're going to wear this baby in close quarters, spray well in advance of attendance, and spray ONLY ONCE OR TWICE!!

I've had excellent luck with YSL scents, the quality and composition of which easily stand with the likes of Chanel's Coco (though she remains, in my humble opinion, the reigning Queen). I'm quite pleased with Opium, and will continue to wear it as long as they sell it.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Opium 2009 se situe désormais entre un Cinnamon et un Youth Dew d'Estée Lauder mais au prix largement plus élevé.
Ils ont totalement ruiné l'âme d'Opium selon moi.
L'ancienne version d'Opium laissait apparaître un soupçon d'orchidée en milieu de notes mais là !! Plus rien !
Une oscillation de bois précieux et d'épices qui drague comme je l'ai dit du côté d'Estée Lauder.
L'oriental de 1977 a été amputé.....de son côté oriental !! Un comble !
Le mariage du côté floral et de l'ambre, de la vanille et des bois précieux faisait d'Opium un parfum luxueux qui faisait le bonheur des peaux claires et des peaux moins claires. Un parfum qui faisait rassemblait les blondes, les brunettes et les rouquines....

debcj

I just tried my sample again, with none of my earlier expectations, and am enjoying it. As a sandalwood addict, I think also that I expected to find that in something called "Opium", and not finding it may have been part of my disappointment. But now I am enjoying the difference, as I do not believe I have ever had anything with myrrh, except the essential oil that I would never consider wearing as a frangrance. I love this forum. Came back to see if there were any new comments and found such a wealth of insight- thanks, everyone! The good news about what I am smelling now is that I would be happy to wear it in the day, and I never thought that would be true of Opium, and maybe it would not have been before the reformulation. I am going to look for the vintage formula though- my curiousity is peaked :>)

notmenoeb
notmenoeb

Later edit: I tested again both versdions of the perfume, both in EDT concentration. the old Opium appears a bit more complex and somehow more pungent [in the sense that there is something in its composition that does not allow indifference in perceiving it - either that of the wearer who becomes aware of it, or that of the others whose olfactive attention is claimed by Opium]. Comparatively, the new Opium starts with what I consider its middle stage which lasts for about 30 minutes, and then what I get is a scent that does not metamorphose.

From this perspective the old si more complex with various stages and intensities alternating, while the new is more direct and' linear' [which is good if the wearer does not want to have to wait for hours for the perfect dry-down lovely scent]. The new Opium, however, might appear to some as 'artificial', probably because in the [fortunately long] dry-down stage it has the oppoponax, myrrh, ambergris and a little floral combination which may 'sound' bitterish but it is not that at all [I have Rochas which has tolu balsam in it and that is bittersih]. Overall it is a soft, oriental and spicy fragrance which is not for the shy or for those who take lightly their perfume. For lovers of similes, the old Opium could be represented visually as a sophisticated, delicate [unintentionally magnetising attention around her] mid-aged woman; while the new one could be a self-confident, intentionally claiming attention and younger woman.

It is a mersmerizing fragrance, I love it very much. I first smelled it accidentally on someone else in my teens and I have been searching for it blindly [because I did not ask the wearer what it was]. I remembered it being more incensy, but I was wrong. I love it and I am glad it is still in production [in whatever formulation].

I have both the old and the new version: the quality is similar/good in both. However, everyone seems to be 'worried' about the new version and states that it is lower in quality than the original [because of the reformulation].

In the EDT version, with 2 sprays/squirts, the old version lasts for a reasonalbe 6 hours on the skin, while the new Opium EDT lasts about 8 hours on my skin [and persists well after a shower meaning that it is present in close to skin sillage, while the old version vanishes and disappears after the shower].

Thus I am more than glad to have the new version which I love [to my surprise, too. I was expecting something with an artifical smell, with poorer lasting power than the older with animal ingredients in it, and am I glad it is not the case].

As to the smell - the old version is somehow softer, more complex, and more round with different stages in evolution, while the new is a bit more confident,straightforward, less chameleonic [and complex] and bolder but almost identical. I love the drydown of the new Opium as it is sweeter, appears faster, and is more powerful than the original's]. What's important for me is the fact that the new Opium EDT outlasts its 'parent' by a couple of hours, with the last stage being the most powerful [which is not the case with the original which becomes softer and very close to skin, nevertheless more complex and spicier/darker].

Thumbs up for YSL for the job they did with the new Opium in the environmentally-friendly version [with fewer ingredients] of their hallmark perfume.

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

I agree that the original version was more exotic. The dry-down has lost its depth of myrrh and leathery notes replacing it by a cola-like scent. I think it's because of trying to please both sides of customers--those who appreciate classic perfumes (and therefore would normally buy reissued classic perfumes instead of new candy-popcorn-etc.-like ones) and those who would like to buy a classic perfume for the sake of its reputation (but can't fully appreciate the whole spectrum of olfactory notes and therefore would normally buy scents that remind of food).

esmerelda69
esmerelda69

Bought it (EDT) in 1982, it was a fantastic perfume. I stopped wearing it in late 80's because it was everywhere.
It has been described in detail so won't go over that but I loved it.
Bought 50ml EDT recently and although I like it it is a pale comparison to the original exotic juice.
This is such a shame, wish they would continue the original for those who were faithful to it in the beginning.

debcj

I am disappointed in the sample I ordered- not because it smells bad, but because it just seems so one dimensional. It is the same smell on my wrist right now as it was three hours ago, only, as someone said below, somewhat soapier. I never tried it before as I thought it would be too serious and intense for me. Now I am sad that it is not more intriguing and exotic.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Opium, this is one of those 80's type fragrances that most people will probably either truly love and adore, or will reject. It is in the same family of scents as Coco, Fendi, Paloma Picasso, Cinnebar by Estee Lauder, etc...

I haven't smelled this in years, but recently sampled this again as I was walking through a department store. The bottle is beautiful and has a distinct richness to it.

The fragrance itself is classic, ageless and timeless. I also compared the original Coco Chanel with this - on the other arm, and Opium is a much more full bodied fragrance. This almost registers in the Kenzo L'Elephant range, where it is definitely something that will leave people with a lasting impression.

The ingredients are decidedly upper market, you can just tell that this is an expensive, elegant perfume - smelling this.

This is NOT for wall flowers. You definitely must be completely SURE OF YOURSELF to wear THIS!

The coloring of this... with my background in image consulting - I see this being worn by a woman who has red hair - or blonde hair, but wears colors and clothing that are either in the soft dramatic retro period - like an elegant film star from the 1930's/40's... or someone who is able to wear more rustic clothing and likes a more refined fragrance. I don't see this fragrance paired with someone who wears super bright colors, pastels, or the dark winter colors. This has a warmth and richness to it - that feels like it belongs with a woman who likes to wear the richer tones of autumn - or the more rustic colors and textures.

As far as silage, this goes on for the first 4-5 hours with a bang. It is potent and very powerful. However, comparing this directly to Coco Chanel, Coco lasts over 12 hours on my skin - where you can still capture the scent of Coco. Opium wears much heavier the first couple of hours, then quickly disappears.

I really love the notes in Opium. I feel that this could definitely be a "signature scent" for someone who can wear this type of warmth and has an air of sophistication - and comes across elegant and refined. I can also see this being worn by a woman who wears more rustic, and trendy clothing. This fragrance speaks volumes. It is something that people will definitely love or hate... so I wouldn't over spray this. Be kind, this could be overly aggressive in a closed or tight area - like in a public theater, auditorium, classroom packed with students, small office area, or an elevator. This needs room to breathe, definitely.

millie1980
millie1980

I faintly recall smelling Opium many years ago, certainly before the most recent reformulation. What can I say? It's still spicy, but it is also surprisingly soapy - I never remember it smelling this clean. The combination of heavy spice and soap just doesn't work for me. Furthermore, I tested the edp, and I could barely smell it after a couple of hours! Why did they bother changing the original?

PerfumeFerret
PerfumeFerret

This perfume is an expensive copy of Tabu. It is heavenly. My father brought a bottle back from a business trip to Paris. The perfume had just debuted and Mom loved it. So much that she wouldn't share it with me! LOL.
Opium is a rich Oriental that is perfect for night activities like nightclubs.

AngelaAngela
AngelaAngela

Pure smokey Myrrh with an amber base. It does conjour what I would imagine is the scent of an opium den. This is a very grown up intense smell. It brings out a feeling of mystery and intensity that I haven't smelled in any of the current fruitbombs an fruitchulis that I normally go ape for. Based in the review I wish I might have a chance to smell the original at some point in my life. For me, it does fill that need to a dark sultry amber scent... No fruit, no flowers, no pretty girl pink stuff here. It is a great addition to my collection.

ilprezzo

Was in a Perfumery yesterday and tried both the EDP and the EDT!!!
OMG! It has NOTHING to do with what Opium used to be. A silly watered down something that doesn?`t know if it should turn sour,or just stay plain boring, shallow and cheap.

acameron
acameron

this is my signature scent. i love any fragrance that is dark, smoky-incensy smelling. i like to be noticed when walking into a room. opium will do that for you. its very dark, daring, strong and confident-and you have to be that to wear this.. reminds me of campfires and gypsies. each body chemistry is different and it smells different on everyone. i tend to draw alot of smokey amber from it. LOVE.

titzkrieg
titzkrieg

Sorry, folks. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to all of you who want to believe that the "Opium" you can buy now is the same stuff of the Opium legends, but everything the naysayers have stated is the absolute truth, unfortunately.

No matter what the bottle says, this is NOT Opium; not by a longshot. And it never will be. This is a feculent stain on Opium's name.

It's sad but it's true. This isn't even a shadow of the original Opium. This is what a really bad facelift, in bottle design and most certainly in the fragrance inside.

I pity the future generations that won't get to experience the masterpiece that was Opium. It infuriates me that they've given such a phenomenal scent a crappy olfactory facelift and dumbed it down to appeal to today's idiotic masses. Everything that made it so special, noteworthy, fantastic, and downright sensational is gone. It smells plain and cheap, cheap, cheap. Not worth the money. You could get one of Chanel's masterpieces or an enchanting Thierry Mugler for the price of this drugstore sugar water they have the nerve to call Opium. Yves Saint Laurent would spin in his grave.

RIP Opium.

babylima
babylima

heavy incense, cinnamon, smoke and powder. to me it smells very bold, yet classy and sophisticated. i would imagine only confident women using it.
i do not know if i like this on me or not, but it is what my favorite aunt used .. so regardless it suits me or not, i do like to smell it alot as it reminds me of her.

liiva
liiva

I was smell YSL Belle d'Opium and I was disappointed, then I was thinking that all those Opium perfumes are nothing special. But one day suddenly I was get this to try. This is perfect! So sexy, smoky and dark! I was surprised! Very good!

cassiopeia09
cassiopeia09

This was my late great grandma's signature scent. I have a little sample that I got from Macy's and every time I smell it, it reminds me of her. Cigarettes, whiskey, mah jong and all..

cinnamonswirl
cinnamonswirl

This version of Opium performs a weird balancing act between church incense and cherry cola. It's reminscent of Tabu, but with less of a honk. Interesting, but I wouldn't wear it myself.

Rawannnna
Rawannnna

shame this perfume has the same name of the legendary Opium! they should call it something else and leave the original mighty formula alone! this will always be compared to that 1977 juice, for me, as I own the original opium, i find this less interesting, tamed, shy interpretation of the original intoxicating juice. this perfume, itself, is not worth it, the counterpart for today's bubble gym perfumes, and like-wise, tasteless.

victoria.rogers.984
victoria.rogers.984

I've only become interested in perfume in the last year, and as such, I have no idea what the original EDP smelled like. I went to a perfume shop yesterday and smelled what seemed like every perfume they had (after many breaks and coffee bean inhaling), and this is the one I kept on going back to. I had the EDP sprayed on me, and I left the store with the intention of seeing how the scent developed on me over the course of a few hours. I went back and purchased it thirty minutes later.

It smells like warm, spiced milk when mixed with my body chemistry. It's very comforting, and warm. It makes me want a nice chai latte, a fuzzy blanket and a good book.

The sillage is a little much for me. I'm not the type of person who wants to shout their arrival with their perfume (I'd rather do that with a solid hairstyle and some bold lipstick ;) ), so less is definitely more with this one. Longevity is absoloutely crazy. I put it on yesterday at one in the afternoon, and at ten in the morning the next day I can still smell it on me.

LATER EDIT:

Just for fun I decided to layer it with Dior Pondichery. Talk about yummy! Pondichery gives it some brightness and makes it far more suitable for day if you apply only a small amount of Opium.

Kapuzik

i have now idea how old version smells, but for me this one is perfect blend for oriental parfume.Not too sweet,not to much vanilla or heavy spices. perfect!

samer007
samer007

it's no longer a secret that opium has been tampered with, reformulated and is simply a different scent than it used to be. vintage opium is by far the most opulent fragrance ever created, smelled it once on a woman years ago and it's haunting. a cloud of spice, orange, heavy incense and all things sensual.
the new opium, without comparison, is a very good perfume. the EDP especially is a beauty; balmy, smoky, woody with beautiful orange and myrrh. it projects well, lasts long enough... but even so it's still quieter, softer than the original juice. but it's a perfume that i wear regularly. if u want to have a better idea of how vintage opium smelled like try estee lauder's cinnabar.
5 stars.

Arctophile46
Arctophile46

I finally tried the reformulation EDT and EDP today- the EDT is an abomination, the EDP is *ok* but, not my beloved Opium.... I'm so incredibly disappointed! I've worn Opium on a daily basis for years so, I'll have to stockpile the vintage I can get my hands on. Sadly, that will eventually run out!

I quite like heavy, smoky fragrances but Opium does not get along with my chemistry. It can turn very sharp and acrid. Have some friends who've told me Opium outright burns their nose.
I can see how one could also find this fragrance "dated". Perhaps it's the carnation note? I find that it's often listed in fragrances I find a bit too "old school" for me.
I love Opium Pour Homme & Belle D'Opium though. Go figure.

Discoball
Discoball

My mom wore this when I was little. It really brings back memories. I tried this today and the first spray I smelled cinnamon gum and incense. After a few minutes it smelled like incense, smokey sandalwood ashes, and amber. A bit sickeningly sweet and strong, but interesting and very unique. This is pretty much the opposite of everything else popular, all those fruity florals out there. l like it, but it calls for the appropriate occasion. I think it's sexy!

Heliotropea
Heliotropea

Snowbunny007 : I have the reformulation edp and it is as disappointing as the edt. There is absolutely no comparison to the original as far as depth and spiciness and longevity are concerned.

Moselle
Moselle

This perfume works on me. It smells like toast and sex when i wear it and I can still smell it after I bathe. It was my ex's fave

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

I was not happy with this. I have worn the original, and now I have been through a bottle of the reformulation. They are similar, but the reformulation is lacking in some areas.

It still retains the original idea of opium. But, the original has a much stronger base, a more masculine edge, a warmer aura, a greater sillage, a more developed and blended set of florals, and far more staying power. This new version could even drop the original name and be called something like "opium eau fraiche" or "leau d'opium". The florals burn my nose they are so sharp. The spices are watered down. And, worst of all- there is a strong, masculine accord in the original, which is missing in this featured version, that could give you this sensual, love/hate (gosh, I'm wearing something really naughty, teehee) sort of feeling. It was frankly sexual!!!

This new version is a bit dated. The original was timeless...so well blended and sensual.

I hear the EDP is a bit better. This is for the EDT. I am curious to try the EDP.

lyciumchld

I'm currently wearing a sample, the EDT I think, and I've got a question: Do the EDT and EDP smell different? What I'm seeing here is a bit confusing and I can't remember which bottle the gal at the store decanted from. I'm so in love with this fragrance and don't want to purchase the wrong one if they smell different!

EDIT: I received a bottle of the EDP today as a gift, and there is no difference between the EDT and EDP in terms of fragrance notes. The EDP is more intense, but they are otherwise nearly indistinguishable. I am so very pleased! This fragrance is a heady, exotic, dark rapture in a bottle. Very aptly titled, too. I'm a recent Opium fan, so I never did get to smell the original, but I'm honestly not sure what all the fuss about the 'reformulation' is about. The 'new' fragrance is divine!

zsazsa.vr
zsazsa.vr

I have both, pure perfume and EDT in the original formula. While this is not my absolute favourite fragrance, it is definitely something I enjoy wearing. Makes me feel exotic and mysterious femme fatale. In a pale skin, red lip kind of way....

Today I decided to try the reformulated version and the dry down made me nauseous. Literally. There is a note that is absolutely revolting to my nose. I don't have a proper terminology to describe it. Benzene, rubber, sorbitol and cinnamon. I scrubbed my wrist with soap and mouth wash, but the smell does not come off. :( it does have an amazing staying power! This one isn't for me. Pity... Once my original is gone, Opium would no longer be part o my collection.

red347
red347

This is my review for the new formula EDT

First off, this smells like the original's long lost cousin... There is something in the original that I just couldn't wear, civet, incense, not quite sure. Anyhow, this stripped down version, on me, wears so much better. Again this is only my take on it and I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that I like this half @ssed, stripped down, poor excuse of a reformulation better than the wonderful, perfect, crown jewel from Yves! LOL

So, my whole purpose for this review is to reach out to those of you who find the original a little to "much" and let you know that this is a great option and stilll yet a beautiful fragrance! It does have a slight masculine base to it, like the vintage, but not nearly as strong.

Go get it, try it, wear it... This absolutely works and fits me, I am so glad I found this and hope that others find this useful!

kittyh30
kittyh30

I love this smell, sexy and intoxicating... reminds me of Estee Lauder Cinnabar that I used to wear about 10 years ago. I recently smelled it again at Christmas time and didn't care for the smell. I tried Opium and became "hooked"...... addicted !!! like it so much better!!

RedLady
RedLady

Okay, when I first tried this months ago, it was on a paper strip. I smelt and recoiled. I thought it was medicinal, masculine and way too smoky for me.

But in the store today, I decided to give it another ago, this time on my skin. WOW, I thought. This is one seriously dark, mysterious, captivating little siren. Don't use a paper strip for this one, its completely different on the skin.
I got strong incense, myhrr, spice, cinnamon... very deep and delicious.

HOWEVER, I'm disappointed now because two hours after application, I'm getting a very prominent, powdery "grandma" smell, which is a shame cos I was so close to buying it. My sister smelt my wrist when I asked for her opinion and she immediately wrinkled her nose and said "old lady".
I do actually smell like someone 70+ and not 25!
Damn.

Now I'm torn...to buy or not to buy... the opening is so lovely. Why the powder YSL? WHY??

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

it would be nice if fragrantica had a page for the new packaging of the EdT, which looks exactly like the packaging of the new "despised" EdP but without the dark tube inside the bottle.

This is way too confusing and I almost didn't buy the EdT in the new bottle because I thought it would be awful. But it turned out it is amazingly beautiful!

Kapuzik

Oh! this one is Hippie scent! I sprayed today in Boots and Iv got an awesome aura! I smelled like ancient asian temple .Very very oriental and beautiful fragrance. Different from any of mass market fragrances. I could think of Lush ,they do parfums similar to opium style) Nice smell of Hippie(in a good way) on me) Interesting,but on my cousin smells very different with lots of fruity berry notes.

Lukiezoomy
Lukiezoomy

I LOVE the new Opium! I wore the old one back in the 90's and, although I loved the smell I couldn't bear to wear it too much as it was far far too strong. The new EDP smells like the old one but is much softer and easier to wear. I can definitely wear this day and night and I don't feel like people are gagging around me, whereas the old one could only be worn at night and people could smell you coming, and I hate that in a perfume. Perfume should be something you wear, not which wears you. I wore Poison in the 1990's as well and the smell of it makes me wince now. Heavy, eye-watering perfumes are so dated now. All those people who don't like it, we know, we get it, you can stop going on about it now. No it's not the same, it's better.

Annelien1987

I'm so sick of people saying: 'shame on you ysl, it is not the same as the original'. Come one, like there is such a difference. There ISN'T!! People just love to idealize the original. There is no difference!

massimilianoinquieto

chi ha amato la formula originale di opium negli anni 80 sicuramente adesso rimarra' disgustato da questa nuova formula. io ho ancora un opium di quelli vecchi e non c'e' veramente paragone.
quello nuovo si apre con note graffianti e stridule, poche e sintetiche, assomiglia acoca cola. poi vola via veloce saltando tutto il bouquet e si ferma su una nota monotona che assomiglia al borotalco. un vero profumo che e' stato rovinato, non c'e' piu niente di opium in questo.

SEVENS74
SEVENS74

I finally got a sniff of the new 'Opium' today. This is NOT Opium and should not share the name with the original. After it had dried, I could only smell it by shoving my nose on my skin; with the original you could smell it a room width away. I'm sure people new to the fragrance will like this but those of us who cherished the original 70s classic will mourn the loss. Shame on you YSL.

FoxyVixen
FoxyVixen

Just.. wow. I just tried on Opium today and it smells DIVINE ! It works so great on my skin and I just love the woody/oriental smell. And it doesn't smells like "smoke" on my skin compared to Shalimar by Guerlain or Obsession by CK.

I'm in love it with and I'm DEFINITLY buying the biggest bottle of this perfume this week ! Unfortunatly, I didn't had the occasion to smell the old formula of Opium, and I wish I had. But anyway, this one smells truly amazing.

Zenobia274
Zenobia274

Ahhhh Opium! First bought this in 1977..it's 'addictive' one of my staples and all time favourites. A splendiforous blend of mandarin, patchouli, frankincense, cinnamon, ylang ylang and fireworks! A no-holds-barred adventure, poised, intoxicating and yet sophisticated - a sheer tigress. Beautiful in winter and amazing on a warm summer night.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

This new EDP is horrible. It immediately reminded me of a masculine scent that I once owned. Then I realized what it was. It has something in it that my bottles of the current Giorgio Beverly Hills and Quorom had. They all had the same synthetic "generic/oriental" fragrance smell. It seems like the factory uses the same generic formula for anything Oriental or Spicy...male or female.

It seems like a lot of the cheaper scents have lots in common with each other. I assume that they are made in the same factories.

Opium should reek of goodness and sillage should be a monster. This doesn't have either one in the current formulation.

Priced at roughly $106 for a 90ml EDP it can't be all that good and it wasn't.

kit1982

A friend gave it to me as a Christmas gift. I want the old version but only the new version is available in Manila.

I have tried the old Opium EDT, months ago. Comparing my experience with old EDT version versus my current EDP in a new bottle... the old version is spicier and smells like barbershop cologne with very soft animalic notes. The new version is sweeter and more floral, but still it is very good. Guys can easily wear this. It is so spicy and rich that an amateur nose will not be able to tell you (if you are guy) that you are wearing ladies perfume.

I my vote goes to the old version, but this new EDP is also very good. The silage is enormous, and one of few perfumes that last more than 8 hours on skin...

I love this.

Cams
Cams

Fantastic on my skin and lasts forever. I sprayed it in the department store and everyone who walked by commented on my lovely scent. Lovely!

Hallonix
Hallonix

This was the first time I sniffed any perfume labeled with 'opium'.
I liked it on a piece of paper, but didn't have the courage to try it on my skin. At first it smelled like a fizzing glass of coca-cola, and then the warm spices appeared. A pleasant scent, that i will try on later.

Nicole79

Opium 2009...it,s the "light" version of the Vintage one.
More easy to wear, not so strong, very warm ,velvety oriental .
Can be worn day or night.
I really like this "modernised" Opium a lot.The bottle is very nice too.
As i already said in my other review, the vintage is so strong that i feel sick, so this is the right alternative for me ;))

zetsubouko
zetsubouko

Deep and warm. I feel like I will be wear it if I'm about 40, but not now. This is for a woman, a madam, not for a mademoiselle.

auroramaria
auroramaria

I found a sample of this in EDT concentration at the back of my bedside table and thought of giving it a chance.
What can I say this is very pleasant, deep and spicy big sillage and longevity if I did not know how tha pre-reformulated one smelled like I would probably love this and make it mine.
The thing is in comparison to the old Opium this one is like tab water

joliecat

Mystica, thank you for your review ! The majority of Original Formula Opium fans agree with you on this one. We are lucky to have been able to experience the unique Original formula in our lifetimes. Many of us refuse to spend exhorbitant prices chasing vintage bottles of perfumes. With the IFRA rules, it is impossible to recreate the original Opium formula. Unfortunately, other fabulous classic perfumes have met the same fate, bowed to IFRA rules, and disappeared. Sad but true.

As for this version of Opium, it lacks many many natural ingredients and spices found in the original. Comparatively, this version is a "nice" oriental floral, just "OK", no longer special or unique like the original.

saguna
saguna

This is really strange. When I sprayed it on my wrist, I couldn't stand this smell. I left it in my drawer and today, I was in a good mood, and I wanted to try something different. I sprayed OPIUM and went out to work. I think I fallen in love with this fragrance.
I was feeling strong, confident and strong again.
I have just half of 30 ml bottle, but will definitely try to find bigger vintage bottle.
I think it's good to layer it with something.

dormir6
dormir6

I haven't known the old one, but I definatly love this! For me it is wintertime fragrance, especially for cristhmas. Very balmy,smoky and heavy but on my skin is comfortable, warm, and kind. Not seductive, but the smell of a cosy, inviting home, full of special spices, shines of liqeurs in the ligth of candles, wealth and tradition. Very nice!

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

This is very very smoky and deep, it remind me of the smell of Russian church and incense. It has a great staying power, I've sprayed it hours ago and can still smell it on my skin, and this is quite rare for me because all other perfumes even with the most staying power fade quickly on me, but not this one.

I personally wouldn't wear it but it if you are into deep smoky scents this gem is for you!

kit1982

I like this a lot. I sprayed it on my wrist, just to try, then I went inside a bookstore... Wow, the sillage is enormous. The scent is very captivating. If you want to be the center of attention, wear this!

this is perfect!
Very much heavy and delicious scent. I hate that talk about "buy only the vintage, this is not Opium anymore". Oh, please, this is pure histeria.

Sabrina_A
Sabrina_A

This is for the real mature woman .. Im "only" 23 , but i'll tell ya'll that I've been wearing this scent since I was 14 . (I know I was young but I couldn't resist my mothers bottle) .

I felt so different and I still do . I love Opium , it's so so .. beautiful , a true legendary perfume .

mystica

In my feeling, the new Opium is likely to be discontinued in a few years. I'm not working at the industry, nor for L'oreal, and am no way associated with the brand whatsoever. As a lover of the pre-2009 Opium, I just wonder about the sales rate of this new interpretation. Because,

1- I know, no true Opium lovers will buy it more than once, if they ever did so. (Some people say that the testers for the new Opium are the old Opium, so they fooled people. -For me it was a blind buy.- But how many times can you fool people, especially when this issue is vastly discussed on the net.)
2- In its own right, the new Opium is incredibly heavy for the younger audience, minus the distinct character of the old one.
3- It's not likely to satisfy people with rather mature noses who like orientals. They will either seek alternatives for their old beloved Opium; or if they are able to splurge on perfume (and most are) they will go for niche stuff then, -such as Montale- for the same price which is labelled on the new Opium. This way, they will not have to tolerate chemical notes in a perfume and they'll for sure be different from the crowd as they wish, and you know for the same price again...

Then really, what makes the customer profile which is targetted for the sales of new Opium; and is it sustainable enough... --or will L'oreal simply someday pull it of from the shelves?...

Just a thought.

Annelien1987

This is one of the perfumes I get the most compliments on, young and 'old' compliment me on wearing an amazing perfume. I absolutely love it. It's balmy and sweet at the same time <3

JasmineLilac
JasmineLilac

This version of opium is TERRIBLE--nothing like the original (which I enjoy but find too strong to wear in public).

Even the summer 2004 opium had something in common with the original, though the summer version was lighter.

This newer Opium is watered down, as another reviewer said, and maybe a bit sour.

Another thing: the new Opium's bottle is just plain ugly and non-feminine: it looks like something in which cheap men's cologne would be packaged.

What are the YSL people thinking?

veronika.norutytė
veronika.norutytė

I'm addicted to this perfume. It makes me feel like a different person. The smell is just hypnotising.

athenian
athenian

If you really like "Opium" try to get a bottle of the original EDT or Parfum on Ebay. The reformulation has nothing to do with the original.

kitten_steele

A little update(on these new formulations, I have not tried the old ones). The review I did, was for the EDT. Later I bought the EDP. Those two start out similar, with the tar smell on me, but while the EDT continue to be tar-ish all the way, plus alittle burning coal, the EDP loose the tar during the drydown and brings out wonderful flowers. I thought the EDP would be so much stronger and even more tar-ish, but it's of a similar strength, maybe even softer, and it came out just beautiful on my skin, with the flowers. I think the EDP is the way to go. I bought the bodylotion too.

Like I've said before, I never knew the old Opium, but this version is fine to me, especially the EDP! I guess, what you don't know ain't hurting you, eh!

ilprezzo

Was in a Perfume Sto yesterday and tried both the EDP and the EDT!!!
OMG!
It has NOTHING to do with what Opium used to be. A silly watered down something that doesn`t know if it should turn sour,spicy,or just plain boring and shallow.
I wonder how high the Dip in Sales got since this Crap hit the Market. I just can`t imagine an Opium Lover who tried it,would actually buy it.

Lucialuz

very good perfum. Incense + cloves + soap. Exquisite, special, oriental!

Amarilis60
Amarilis60

it is "castrate" of the original formula ! shame on YSL! they removed 22 ingredients from the original Opium and selling this one now as OPIUM and for the same price!))) the most horrible thing is - testers of Opium in the perfume stores are the old Opium! people try tester and buy this one !! when I told an assistant about it she didn't want to discuss this issue! horrible! fooling us, as we are idiots, and capitalise on this famous name! crooks!

kitten_steele

After reading so many negatives about this perfume, I never in my life thought I would buy it. Well, I did and I don't regret it. Having tried so many perfumes over the years and so many out there smells similar, I felt I wanted something really different and also "offensive". Something that would really wack me in the head, if you know what I mean. Opium is all that. It's "kaboom". Unique and different. I've not smelled the original, but I like this one. I have the edt and it's amazingly strong for an edt. I wonder if I would even dare try the edp. I think the scent reminds me of tar. It smells alot like tar to me. It's also surprisingly fresh, which I could never imagine. I think it's the tar smell that makes it fresh, 'cause tar is kind of fresh. It's summertime and around 25-26 celsius outside, but I wear Opium despite that. I think it works even in hot weather. First time I used it, I oversprayed it, 'cause I felt it was mild and fresh on the first few sprays, so I sprayed some more. Then 7-8 hours later, I felt nauseus. So you gotta be careful when spraying. Don't let the initial mild and fresh scent fool you. The fresh scent of tar stays with me almost all day. After maybe 7-8 hours later, the myrhh takes control.

I had a tar schampoo in my teens and Opium smells just like it. I really like Opium because it's so unique and daring, a bit offensive, a bit "kaboom".

jesseg
jesseg

i can say that the edt on my clothes reminds me of the vintage opium that i adore....but on my skin it spicy oriental but with a rubber edge

joliecat

This is the reformulation of Opium. Most of the spices and several other ingredients have been removed in this version, so it's not exotic or unique like the original formula. The bottle was changed to this style, but they didn't tell customers that the original formula had also changed. They sold a lot of Opium in this bottle, but when customers discovered the juice inside was different from the original formula, most refuse to buy Opium ever again.

Now, this current version of Opium is OK, but it's just another well blended nice rich floral scent, and yes, it lasts a long long time on skin. However, compared to the original formula, this frag is no longer appealing to me.

I will not buy Opium ever again. I refuse to pay exhorbitant prices for discontinued vintage Opium.

Luckily, reading reviews on this website, I've been able to find other strong spicy frags that I love just as much as I loved the original Opium formula.

Whether you like or dislike a frag, your opinions are very educational and extremely helpful. Thank you ALL so very much for your reviews !

leorine
leorine

I have no idea about the original 1977, I wear new EDT, the opening is with a strong scent of aldehyde like fire which continues through the heart of the perfume with smell of bay leaf, in the middle tones the carnation, coriander and peper is very strong, the bottom notes are not strong it smells like a soft woody incense at the end at least in my skin

Annica
Annica

It's not often I use the word horrible in terms of a perfume, but it is the only word I can think of when I smell this. It smells like toilet cleanser.There is not one shred of similarity with the Opium vintage. They are light years apart in my opinion.

vxgas
vxgas

I know not many women like this scent but if my girl wore Opium I would be obsessed!

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Oh, I love the reformulated EDP...

It`s one of the VERY few perfumes nowadays that actually lasts for days, and has sillage that REALLY can knock you over. You get real value for your money.

Spicy, balmy, warm, erotic... smells like christmas in a bottle.
No nasty/sharp/bitter/sour notes, just smooth, magical roundness.

Sex in a bottle.

amigdala
amigdala

A scent of carnation,with spice and balsams...wonderful fragrance,without other words!!

personsa22
personsa22

An uncompromising portrait of "fuck you, I'm rich as hell and I dont give a shit if you ever like me, but you aren't allowed to forget me!"

Little Cooling
Little Cooling

No no no NO! What is happening? This is NOT the Opium, I adore. What is wrong with L'oreal? They should be banned! The Original Opium in edt formulation is the best, ever. It seems like, I can't get my hands on it anywhere. At the shops, where I live, only have the edp formula, it this boring bottle :/ I need to go search on the net, to find the beautiful edt, which I miss so much. The edt is the most amazing, mystique and bewitching scent. Ever. And the bottle for that, is just amazing. This bottle looks boring and not classy at all. PLEASE YSL, do bring back the original edt in the original bottle. Thanks.

Carnation
Carnation

Dreadful would be an understatement. Hideous would describe this reformulated atrocity perfectly. What happened to Yves St. Laurent's iconic fragrance that broke ground when it was introduced in 1977?
I visited an in town ULTA store yesterday to see what perfumistas had been talking about for some time. What I found made me want to burst into tears: A sour smelling concoction with some cheap spice thrown in that is identical to the scent given off by those gas station bathrooms that you really don't want to use, but nature just won't let you hang in there until you find more suitable accomodations.
If you really want to do justice to this legendary perfume, PLEASE choose vintage.

MissLola
MissLola

I had it, i give it away, first spay is good, after a half hour, í'll get a rubber/plastic smell, really unplessant, on my skin a no go! i have never known the old version, i believe that one was so much better, al the reformulated one's are never good.

Annelien1987

Smells very nice (EDT). I really like it, it's different yet classy. Smells like a sexy vampiress, very seductive. It can be a bit old fashioned, but today I was in the mood for a heavy oriental.

Starts of very old fashioned, very citrusy and green, I never like that. But that fades away after about an hour on my skin. Then I get the soft rose and the heavy incense, like entering a church. I kinda like that. I don't get the reviews saying this has no staying power, because on my skin it really lasts a long time and I do have difficult chemistry, I need heavy fragrances otherwise I don't smell them.

Anna_V
Anna_V

I was very worried about ordering this product after getting a bottle from a local store which smelled nothing like my favorite perfume, and I returned it and they gave me another bottle, and again, it was not Opium. I ordered from e-bay, and waited anxiously, while reading all your comments about how the formula has changed. I received my order today, and it is wonderful! It is exactly the fragrence I remembered, and can't stop sniffing and smelling:) I am a very happy shopper, and am so glad I found it!

jackie.trieber
jackie.trieber

There is NO WAY this is the same fragrance. In 1977 I began wearing Opium. It was the most delicious perfume ever. I loved it so much I used to order it from Herrods in London because EVERYTHING smells better when it comes from outside the US...especially Opium. I still wear it and I am heart broken by the new version. YSL needs a lesson in brand loyalty... We should all email YSL corporate offices! YSL does this with popular lipsticks as well. #22

My take on the new version is they had leftovers from a bunch of unsuccessful cheep perfumes and they tossed them all together. The new one is disgusting!

If you think the new one smells like the old one you either have a deviated septum or the flu!

Opium original was more complex than a Tolstoy novel. It was a symphony...Franz Liszt, Chopin and Bach in a bottle.

The new version is like being in a distorted reality...it's like having Tilda Svenson as the new Kate Moss.
This is the biggest blunder since M & M's didn't choose to be in a little blockbuster called ET.

YSL take a lesson from Chanel..."Market Research". Change your spokes person...not your fragrence. You had the biggest hit in the perfume industry next to Chanel No 9...what is your problem.

You can still get the original version on line in the original packaging. Just put it in your frig and it will last...hopefully until they come to their senses( pun intended)

YSL...you are off my Christmas list!

claudia26
claudia26

Wonderful. I love it.

MademoiselleMimi
MademoiselleMimi

Oh, Yves! Why do you try so hard to make me dislike you?!! All I wanna do is love you, but I just can't stand to be around you when all you do is smell like Tiger Balm and old, funky incense! :P

ALaM
ALaM

I'll say the same thing here as on the "original" opium page. It's just as relevant.

This sure was a refreshingly unique, distinctive fragrance to me after smelling fruity-floral after fruity-floral (many I can be vaguely fond of or even like, and some are actually original and distinctive - but rarely enough to dish money out for) to the point of numbed scent-reception, nausea and frustration. I'm sure the reformulation may be a bastardization of the original but among the fragrances that major dept stores (at least in the U.S.) are buffet-feeding us...this is still a classic, original, interesting, beautiful fragrance with character, strength, sillage, original composition - things people have become deathly afraid of, it seems. I don't detect any one note but rather...a bunch of notes come together to create a new scent all together. Stop complaining about the reformulation or I'll hand you the Ed Hardy and Juicy Couture and you can hand me the "ruined" Opium and I'll happily be on my way.

Note: I've smelled the two side by side...yes, they're different. The new one is, as expected, less "potent". I still stand by what I said - put the reformulated version up against - say - Wonderstruck, Viva La Juicy, or Chance and try to say it's a disaster with a straight face. Depleted resources are a major reason for a lot of reformulations. Not a whole lot we can do about that, can we? Enjoy a gem when it's sitting right in front of you, not when you're looking back on it after it has kicked the bucket, so to speak.

Note 2: I definitely didn't smell the bug spray anyone else is talking about, either. Perhaps a bad batch or tester? I don't know...but yes...the original is better but this one is great in it's own right.

movs
movs

Opium was for several years my signature perfume. I still remember that rich spicy perfume, lingering for hours. The exotic mixture of incense, cinnamon, amber, sandalwood etc. made me think of a fairytale from "One Thousand and One Nights".

I tested the new so called Opium recently because I liked the new bottle. I couldn't believe my nose. Opium has been diluted! The scent was still there, somewhere in the background, but only as a faint echo of what it used to be. Most prominent note was a loud and awful chemical note, like burned rubber or motor oil (that I by the way also detected in the reformulated Obsession). Is it some sort of fixative that they use in the new/reformulated perfumes or are the "noses" of today robots, who like the smell of oil and chemicals??

This is NOT "Opium".
So sad to see how you can trick the customers by "stealing" the name from an old classic gem, put it on a low quality product and sell it at a high price.

Another masterpiece gone forever.

In 3 words (addressed to L'Oreal):

SHAME ON YOU!

Bandit
Bandit

This new version is so awful, I don't have words for it. It smells like bug spray, at least like bug spray my grandma used in the early 80s in Germany to get rid of mosquitos (you remember the time, when we all believed in the chemical industry?).

I mean, c'mon: Who on earth wants to smell like this? It is not worthy the tag "Opium" and Yves Saint Laurent will haunt us all for that dreck, I promise you.

polunata
polunata

Rude and aggressive, nothing in common with the real vintage stuff!

Shyn's Release
Shyn's Release

I took me a while to write a proper review about this fragrance.I was on the fence about buying this.I was undecided about if I should buy Rihanna fragrance which I really liked or Opium.One spray of Opium and it literally blew all the others including Rihannas away.It is so rich elegant spicy sexy oriental in short amazing.Most of all it lasted and lasted.And the funny thing is when I tried to use other perfumes it just was not the same as Opium.I am under its spell.So I will be buying it as soon as I can.

ANSD

I have already made lots of comments to this perfume, but I still have to say that it has a legendary longevity on my skin and clothes, even in EDT concentration. It holds like a limpet to my jackets and shirts. I am a sillage monsters fan, because I have a special skin, that doesn't hold perfumes easily. Thus, I have to wear intense perfumes like Angel, Jungle, Dior Intense, Alien and Terre d'Hermés, but I have never seen a stuff like this...even after 2 days, I still can smeel its smoky and balmy smell on my clothes...fantastic!!!

Lushylori
Lushylori

I really tried to like this scent but I just don't.
I love the new bottle and I love its name and I love Yves Saint Laurent (Mostly the hand bag lines) But I just can't like the smell of this.I smelled it years ago when I was a child and thought...YUCK!!! So a few weeks ago I sprayed some to give it another chance thinking that maybe my taste had matured (which it has) But this smells like Perfume when its gone bad.Like an old fashioned perfume that has turned.
Sorry to all you Opium fans..I did try though :)

reignydaze
reignydaze

LOREAL....ASSASSIN...YOUVE KILLED HER!

maria-clara
maria-clara

Opium, the original version. I had it in the late 1970s/early1980s. Opium was THE fragrance to wear. At that time, if you entered a discotheque or any trendy place the air was filled with a mysterious heavy cloud of Opium. I was 18, 19 years old. I was involved in a love affair with a somewhat older man who had seen the world. To him I symbolized the young, exotic, femme fatale. To me he represented so many fantasies, I cannot even start to describe it. Our passionate, destructive love affair evolved around opium. He had an affair with the real stuff (O) and I was hooked on the perfume. I loved the bottle, the smell, the mystery, the exoticism. My lover showed his passionate love for me by buying me the largest bottle of Opium, time and time again. I was never without. One day I dropped my huge, fresh bottle on the bathroomfloor, it slipped out of my hand. For months the bathroom smelled like Opium. It couldn't be washed away. It was too much, like our love was too much. The love-affair ended, and I never used Opium again. After the overdose in the bathroom, I disliked the scent very much. Two years ago, I wanted to try it again, remembering how I used to adore and love my Opium, before the bathroom-incident. I got a sample of the new edition. I tried it for a couple of days. Compared to the Opium I remember the new edition seems like a thin, girly, watery smell. Nothing at all like the mysterious, exotic scent of a femme fatale that could bring back memories of passion and destruction.

meg1969
meg1969

Go ahead...criticize the reformulation, but its earthy, exotic, arid, resinous quality is still seductive. I imagine Cleopatra could have seduced Julius Ceasar wearing this, except in today's version, the dress would be synthetic. So what if it's not the same as the original, this is still sexy without being skanky.

I see "citrus" in the notes, but do not smell it at all...nor does it smell "sweet" to me. I get a woodsy, smoky, incensy feel of mystery. Sillage and holding power are fabulous. I am talking two days later I can still smell it fabulous - so wear sparingly not to overwhelm or offend.

sallyjwong
sallyjwong

I love oriental fragrances. I tried the original Opium once many years ago, but I can't remember why I never purchased it nor what it smelled like compared to the new version. The new reformulated Opium is a scent that needs time to develop on the skin so that it reacts to your chemistry and have the heart of the fragrance come out. I recently received a sample of the EDT version of Opium. When I first spray it on, it smells very strong and almost repulsive. It has a smoky smell to it which conjures up warm feelings of snuggling up in front of the fireplace on a cold evening. Once it develops, the lovely spicy and floral notes come out. Opium is a fragrance that grows on me. It is a bit addictive because the more I wear it, the more I love it. I would only wear it on cold winter nights.

aqua76239
aqua76239

I didn't know that it has been reformulated because it smells the same way to me. Granted I never owned it, only tested it but appears to be the same scent.
When I first smelled Opium, it was 1989 and i was a teenager. A relative bought it and sprayed half a bottle on herself and I just thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. Fast forward couple of years-I've been wearing Samsara for a while and developing interest in fragrance, when I smelled it on someone-very spicy slightly smoky scent that reminded me of Middle Eastern bazaar. I thought it was very unique and interesting but not quite my cup of tea.
I tested it recently and just a whiff of it brought so many memories back from the time I was younger. Its very spicy and cinnamony(if there is such a word). This is kind of like walking into spice shop and smelling all the spice essences in the air. I don't detect any sweetness in this whatsoever, its its smoke and spice all the way. Very unique and unforgettable. I don't think I can wear it myself but I always recognize it on other women and find it quite beautiful on others.
Lasting power is fantastic-one spray on the card lasted couple of days.

Nicole79

The bottle is very attractive and this makes me want to test the reformulated Opium bcz i might just like it !
The original one was too much for me to take : strong, in you're face, so old fashion !
This one could be more rounded, less strong and of course less dated , just like Poison, i like the reformulation more than the vintage so go figure !

calyx93
calyx93

What's pictured above and what's being reviewed on this particular page is NOT the real Opium. It's been surgically altered to be more acceptable to the dumb masses. Don't be fooled by YSL's slick, new packaging.

Seek out the original if you want to experience the real thing. Buying this stuff is akin to buying Versace at H&M - it may have the name and look superficially nice, but it's a cheapened, dumbed-down facsimile. Don't be fooled by the reviews of this new crap - only those who've never experienced the original and those with "blind" noses will tell you that it's good.

Ugh. YSL is making me really sick these days. Thank God for eBay and new old stock.

the new commercial for Opium it's just asome <3
oooh how i love this scent, it's just perfect

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

For the ultimate oriental, look no further than Opium. Sniffing it today, it's utterly plausible to suppose that this was what Marlene Dietrich's Magdalen wore while blowing smoke across silk-lined train cars in the movie Shanghai Express. Decadent myrrh, nutmeg, opoponax, and amber fill the composition to a bursting point, saved only by its deliberate exoticism and natural volume. This fragrance is full-figured, and accepting of herself. It could make a fine masculine these days, although only if applied very lightly and in social settings. If I were to be totally frank, I'd consult younger men to explore other orientals before Opium. Old Spice would be a safer alternative, and there's no shame in wearing it. I must admit though that the prospect of meeting a woman who wears Opium fills me with desire, followed by a little fear, followed by desire again and again. A masterpiece.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I hear so many people with either negtive responses twords this beutiful perfume or the ''when I'm older....maybe then'' response.

When I was 20 (roughly 10 years ago 'cough cough') I instantly liked this, if overspryed it's cloying, but if handled responsibly it's a very classy alluring sexy fragrance.

Reminds me of CoCo Chanel but with spice (maybe coco chanel mixed with Givenchy's Organza Idencence, minus the rose)...but it's not a loud spice it's a very smooth creamy spice. very wearable and dare I say it, as much as I love CoCo Chanel (minus the rose and plus the extra spice)...this sometimes is a bit more interesting.. I would switch back and forth....because after wearing opium consistantly....(as with anything else) I need to switch things up and the spices after weeks of wearing do grow tiresome, but take a break for a few weeks and wham, smells new again :)

----to comment below .. I find the term ''Harlem Hussy'' highly offensive. You should choose your words wisely

And I've never heard anyone refer to Yves Opium as ''candy''. I'm almost questioning if you've actually sniffed this, lol

missymary
missymary

This new reformulation isn't Opium. But never mind, its an immodest seductive harlem hussy, and there's incensy oriental mystery going on. It has lotsa nerve, NO class. Lovely! No matter that it has "synthetic" written all over it.. We have to be glad even for new Opium, because at least it's a proper strong brassy perfume of distinction, in these days of bland and unmemorable fruity and candy juices.

I guess I'm grown old enough for this now :) While so far I always thought this is a big stinky fragrance I find myself with a sample this winter and am wondering whether I still dislike it or like it now. It is definitely not for young girls and it's best worn in winter seasons. I like a scent like Habanita and Opium seems to be in the same line - but without the sweet edge. I still have to test my sample more, but I like the strong myrrh in it, while the opening is still a strong blast. It's like you have to survive the first few minutes and then the scent grows on me :)

eilismaireg

I've recently fallen for this one, after finding it 'difficult' in the past. It was my mums signature in the 70's-80's, and I still remember the little red opaque bottle with the tiny window in and the tassle on the neck (must have been a limited edition or something). The new bottle is reminiscent of that one, and I find the scent to be the same, I can usually tell reformulations but this must be a good one if it's been fiddled with. Another for my list, sigh....
I must revise the statement above and add that the new version doesn't have the immense sillage and longevity of the older version, it also has a rather nasty plasticky note in the drydown. What a shame :(

watercolour
watercolour

I used to wear Opium EdP in the 70s when I was in my thirties. Now that I'm that
much older (but still craving an identifiable scent) I find I can't bear the
Opium Parfum I was given recently. It's just too strong, and smells over sweet!

It clings to clothes like a limpet. I would actually PAY someone to come and take
it away!

Eaugirlspirit
Eaugirlspirit

So I just tested this; I've always turned my shoulder at it but I've been interested lately due to the season and the wonderful reviews here. The initial blast was bitter and hard to take, but after 20 minutes it's dried down to a very soft, powder and woody base. I like it.

ANSD

Yesterday, I went to a Perfume store with 2 friends, One of them put Poeme...and It didn't last long on her. It smelled weak and blended. What a shame, I tought that poeme was a strong perfume, with an extraordinary sillage...but I was wrong. I put my beloved OPIUM in that perfume store, and in comparison with Poême, Opium lasts longer and has a much more better longevity. My friend said...I put Poême, but I can only smell your OPIUM, LOLOLOOL. Kudos to OPIUM!!!

Lilii
Lilii

unique, strong,long lasting, sex in a bottle...This is what I call a PERFUME.

aveda
aveda

Smoky, sexy, and hot! Sexy fragrance that envelopes you like a cloud of smoke. There's no tabacco listed as one of the notes but this does very much indeed smell like smoke. Sexy smoke, if you will. :)

Sillage and lasting power is good. Definitely a night fragrance. Like this one a lot.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A mature musk smell with immense projection which floods the room..

0-8 Hours - Immense Projection, 5-6 feet around. The scent is very mature, musky to the point of smelling like damp

8 - 10 hours - The damp smell is less prominent and a spicy dry down occurs

Projection amazing, scent is foul for me, sorry not my cup of tea

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

My Husband bought me a bottle of eau de parfum, and I was thrilled to recieve the new flacon. I love the neat, elegant design, although as some have said it is somewhat awkward to use grace concerning its design! Although I love and appreciate a wide variety of categories, this particular Oriental couldn't have been more made for my chemistry if I paid a genius nose to create my perfect signature scent. The first application of the sweet spicy entrance and my mouth starts watering. It reminds me of delectible Indian desserts or creamy, sweet Indian Lassi. Once the perfume settles down into my skin,the new scent becomes absolutely seamless, as the combination smells in no way sour or off as it continues to have an intimate duet with my skin. With every other fragrance, I notice a funny moment when the scent is not in total harmony as if there is a sour note or something when it smells a bit akward. I do notice that the staying power seems to have decreased since my last encounter with Opium. It used to be a couple of short spritzes was plenty, now my chemistry seems to just gobble the stuff up, more than a couple times a day perhaps. My husband, who is crazy about Opium, tried some on and found the same thing. Mabee to do with the cheaper synthetic ingredients YSL is using now.

miahreis
miahreis

I had a very bad experience with this new bottle. I was in Macy's and I wanted to spray it on a paper strip. I mistake the atomizer for the cap, remove it and find there's no sprayer, so I place the "cap" back on, mash down, and SPRITZ! RIGHT IN MY EYEBALLS! OMG I was so embarrassed, I had to press my fingertips to my eyes for, I don't know it felt like forever to promote tear production, all the while praying to God that no one saw me MACE MYSELF AT MACY'S!

boyxtoy

THIS IS JUST THE MOST EROTIC PARFUM EVER!!
i'm so in love with this scent, it makes me feel like, i dunno, like, mmmmm xd ajajaja u get me xd ajajaja, it's just beautiful, full of mistery, and sex.

i have both, opium before 2009, and new opium, and i love both
but it's lastlonging, powerful the new one
the bottle, it's just beautiful, magic
the last bottle, was awful, almost cheap fragance bottle :S i hate it, it's just horrible, as the opium pour homme bottle :( just a shame
new bottle it's b e a u t i f u l
and the "new smell of opium" it's not a new smell
it's just a slightly change in the top notes, not that sweet and lighter as before
now, it's more "masculine" and powerful than ever, i love both, but i rather this one
it last days on my skin

mystica

A very key ingredient which makes the Opium Opium so far (till 2009 at least) is missing in this perfume.

I try hard to appreciate the reasons for a reformulation, but I just cannot tolerate YSL's trying to fool their customers saying this is the same "elixir" in a new bottle. I feel scammed really, and I am angry. (and there are many many loyal customers feeling like me.) let me rephrase why:

1- I have lost my Opium till the end of my life. I am now going to stock as much pre-2009 Opium as I can, I will spend a lot of money and as perfumes have a shelf-life this will satisfy me for let's say a maximum of 5 years. I will be Opium-less, whatever I do.

2- I have unknowingly already spent a lot on a bottle of this new Opium.

3- And what I have is -something which mimics the original Opium but not Opium, that is- nothing.

LaPetite
LaPetite

These "Femme Fatale" scents are definitely not for me , i try hard, i can't love them !
One thing about the staying power , i think it is really good , because my sister is working in a perfume factory , and a colleague smashed an Opium bottle next to her , and even after washing her clothes , the smell of it stayed and stayed !

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Opium is a thing of beauty. Smoky, sexy and oh so mysterious. Very unique and sophisticated. Unlike the 80s, you will no longer find everyone wearing it. Now, you know that it is a more unique fragrance that will set you apart from all the other sugar drenched fragrance wearers. A true masterpiece

- C xx

ANSD

I love the old and the new OPIUM, but I think, that the last one has a better sillage and longevity than the original...it lasts DAYS!! It is incredible even for me, a fan of strong fragrances...

CathyGQ
CathyGQ

I agree with ANSD Fantastic FRAGANCE !!!

For EDP:

In this reformulation, the myrrh which gives Opium its smooth sweetness is nearly hardly recognizable in comparison to the *original* EDT.

Opium 2009 smells HEMP, motor oil, and leather to my nose in its heart notes. At the dry down, this very successfully synthetic but nevertheless synthetic combination takes even a stranger turn and smells like sweat to my nose.

The original EDT is what real Opium smells like to me, and you'll understand particularly at the dry downs that Opium 2009 has certainly nothing to do with it.

As for the flacon:

Though it looks good, it's quite anti-functional. I have hardships in spraying this one (especially when I put some lotion into my hands) as the ball shaped stopper is hard to grasp with my slim fingertips and annoyingly slippery. Once when I was trying to spritz some perfume behind my knees my finger briefly get pinched between the ball-stopper and the bottle neck, ouch, and damn!

Also, in reply to a point in a previous review I must add: I checked, and the spray pipe does perfectly reach the bottom of the bottle. Just have a look at the bottle under some strong light source, and you will be able to discern that though not the black spiral cover but the pipe itself touches well bottom of the container, hence there is no risk of wasting the product this way; it will anyway be wasted enough due to the stupid stopper:)

Sum: I adore the original Opium. This one leaves me confused.

maddame
maddame

When I first smelled it, I thought "hmmm, interesting". It smelled like pepper and spices to me.

But then, the Mister smelled it and said it stank like cockroach spray. Now I can't get it out of my mind.

Maybe a bit dated for 2010.

Pinni
Pinni

Initially I loved it for the oriental feel in it! I was already thinking about buying it.
After smelling some other scents in between I came back to it and didn't like it at all. It smelled totally different! I think I smelled some ylang ylang I've always associated with parfumes for old ladies.

I think I'll go smell it one more time as I really loved it the first time. I'm hoping to like it again.

Castor
Castor

Compared to the one manufactured by PPR, the previous licensee of YSL, this version is what can be called a failed blend - this is, a blend failing at conveying any sense of harmony.

As per news published in the media, the actual manufacturer - L'Oreal - wanted to modernize it but in the effort, they negatively affected the blend: top notes smell harsh maybe due to the presence of synthetic floral notes, a feeling that is amped up by the presence of synthetics; mid and base notes feel pungent to the nose, sharing the same notes with other classics that have been reformulated - maybe the presence of an aromachemical used in lieu of some essential oil/s, a note that smells like regurgitated baby's milk. In this sense, the base notes smell quite similar to that of the reformulated Magie Noire. Interesting enough, this accord in the base notes contributes at making both new versions scents that could be easily be worn by men. They are femenine scents in their top notes, but if "feminine" is a synonym for "delicate", both have lost this attribute, for wearers won't find any delicacy at all: harshness in all its development is what one feels to the nose.

One more word of caution: if you are among the ones thinking that Opium does share mid and base notes in common with Arami's JHL, I am sorry to inform you that this is not anymore so: there is a general feeling lurking around this concept, but similarities end there, so just don't think it could be a replacement for JHL. Better stick to the original, now that Estee Lauder decided to relaunch it.

In summary, an olfactory mess, in the same line L'Oreal did with Ralph Lauren's Polo (green). Scents gone-by that forces any good-hearted perfume aficionado taking the trouble of finding either a replacement (in the case of Polo, some knock-ofs are more honest to the original formula) or securing whichever vintage bottle is available in the market. And, in the case of plain customers, forcing them to overcome the feeling L'Oreal is playing a joke at them when in the revamped version of the box they state "... para las mujeres que no se resisten a Opium, un nuevo frasco para su Eau de Toilette de siempre" ("For women that cannot resist the temptation of Opium, a new presentation for the Eau de Toilette they have always cherished").

mehrdad
mehrdad

OPIUM - EAU DE PARFUM

Natural Spray PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Discover the myth of OPIUM reinvented.

A perfume of an outrageous and evocative name, Opium is a gate open on a fantasy world, a trip to the unknown, to an extraordinary elsewhere, mysterious, full of sensations and emotions.

Back to the roots of Opium, the new aesthetic of the Eau de Parfum bottle refers to the original inrö.

It glorifies mystery, voluptuousness and modernity of the item.

Size: 30 ml , 50 ml

به نقل از سایت تولید کننده

sandlight
sandlight

The new flagon for Opium has a design fault, i.e. the perfume that remains at the end of the bottle which is about 2 centimetres can't be reached by the spray, so how are you supposed to use it?

oyster_horace
oyster_horace

if the original opium is heroin, the new version is the methadone, which tricks your body and tells your receptors that "it's the same" but doesn't get you HIGH.

this one (new edt) is not even worth mentioning, awfully synthetic, it has lost the exoticness, complexity, intensity, incense and wood vibe.

and most importantly, it has TOTALLY lost the addictiveness of the original opium(the heroin!!).
that's why i call this the methadone

RIP Opium(1977-2009)

I own and love the old formula, but the new formula is really nice! I definitely pick up other notes very clearly such as incense, woods, cinnamon, pepper, and maybe even the teenciest hint of smoke. It makes me fantasize about riding a camel to an oasis in Morocco where I would spend my days lounging around smoking a hookah, eating chevre stuffed dates, and drinking mint tea.

COMPARISON WITH OLD: This new version seems a tad modernized. I can see how they kept the original essence but revamped it to appeal to and blend in better with the current market. The opening is fresher, a bit more floral and citrusy, slightly less shocking to the senses. The drydowns after 15 minutes are identical (I sprayed the new version on one wrist and the old version on the other wrist). I daresay that the reformulation is a beautiful take on a classic fragrance, but I can certainly understand how those who have loved Opium for many years would be upset at the changes, especially if they were not aware that the new packaging meant a new formula. Give the new one time to dry down on your skin, and maybe you will grow to treasure this new varietal as well.

sjbst17
sjbst17

My number one perfume. I have been wearing Opium for years. I didn't notice a huge change with my current bottle. It's not too flowery or sweet. It has a warm aspect and it works perfectly with my chemistry. I imagine that it smells exotic and slightly mysterious on me. Someone once said that it smelled like cinnamon. I don't get that...then again, cinnamon believe it or not is a sexy smell...APPARENTLY, cinnamon triggers a sexual response. I heard about that from Dr. Amen. Again, it doesn't smell like cinnamon to me. Although a man could never wear it, there is too much floral for that, it is a more masculine (think men's cologne) or I should say gender neutral scent. As for me I wear makeup and dresses and high heels daily and I love perfumes. But, I don't like too floral or sweet. It seems that my favorite perfumes are not the most popular and other women either really like or really dislike them.

andrada2003
andrada2003

OMG, what a huge disappointment! Another blind purchase, I was thinking of the clasic Opium, the one which I used to love when I was younger, and then I got this...
Absolutely awful. It's so masculine I gave it to my husband. It smells like man aftershave, nothing feminine, nothing like the old Opium. Shame on you, L'Oreal! You manage to ruin something good.
But you can use it as air freshner. Works pretty good in bathroom, after you know what...

Trvevil
Trvevil

e.e The new regulations, restricting of ingredients.. whatever cause for reformulating old perfumes... Is bad! First time in my mind crept in idea about what if the good scents are gone and we will be stuck with all these pink toilet waters? Fragrances don't even have note pyramids anymore in most cases [might spotted that notes are in line now mostly?]. Still, there's niche, but anyways D: Cause, to be honest, I kept every review at positive level, this time I'll say it - its disappointing. Chanel could reformulate their fragrances and new ones are respectable. Why others can't ? n.n
Start is nice - old fashioned, fancy, interesting. ...until you end up with spicy old soap on your wrist. Flat and uninteresting, no depth whatsoever. I like Belle version though. I tried an older Opium flanker and it was good as well. -This- is just sad.

P.S. At whoever listed chemical ingredients as notes - O.o I thought they keep parfum ingredients a secret.
+ btw who's the Nose?

Singabera
Singabera

I do really like it, I like the old one, I like the new one, they are different, but have the similar character - strong, warming, making you feel safe and calm.

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

Hmmm, it's really not that bad. Not on me anyways.

I'm not a fan of L'ORÉAL... thanks for killing M. YSL HARD WORK of his love for the art of beauty in all clothing/perfumes etc...and turning it to....dust!

They should of called it another name and not use Opium.

The true Opium, was a knockout.
This will easily be forgotten.

Lashala
Lashala

I've been in love with Opium for many, many years (aprox.10) and currently I wear the "new" one (which means in a new bottle - not Belle d'Opium: that one seems... let's say in polite way: unispiring, flat and boring). Yes, I agree that Opium has been changed a little (or reformulated to be precise), but I don't think it spoilt the potion at all. It's still Opium in all its beauty and glory! The new mixture seems to be more rounded and slightly sweeter (at least EDP). However it doesn't mean worse and less mysterious or even vulgar. I still love it and feel the urge to defend the "new" one - it doesn't deserve all the attacks.
And I don't think it was changed due to attract younger generation but formal/legal restrictions demanded intervention to the juice.
Last but not least - in comparison to the "old" Opium, the "new" one has worse initial blast but better drydown - on me at least.

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

of course this has not only 4 notes left in it, EVERY parfume has at least about 30 notes in it but rarely they tell all their secrets! think twice before posting dear.

about opium i can t tell so mutch, i ever disliked it and oi took a whim in a perfumestore of the new reformulated version and i could't tell the difference, just as awful as always. maybe little less heavy.

Eleiria
Eleiria

Horrific. Nothing more than a drop of tobacco cologne. Ughh..

guest_kittymoon
guest_kittymoon

I tried this new version of it and it starts nice and promising but soon it turns into smokey soapy old lady smell. I remember the original version being more sweet, insency and rich. But maybe it was me then, being overwhelmed in the 90th with something that strange and different and they just repackaged it but it's the exact same scent? I don't know ...

Endymion

Opium is the most iconic and well-known fragrance in the world right after Chanel No 5!
Can you imagine Chanel changing the formula (and the package drastically) of No 5? No way, because Chanel is led by smart people.
Stupid, stupid people at YSL! Shame on you! You should have made a modern version of Opium (and keep the original) like they did with Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere!

guest_Belle
guest_Belle

I'm glad I didn't spray this on myself. I heard of the legend that is Opium, so I was curious as to what it smelled like. Sprayed it on paper and brought it home. It smells old lady-ish, I handed it to my dad and he agreed. It smells skunky, if occasionaly fresh. Bleh. Surely the original doesn't smell this way?

guest_OzzeyEffie
guest_OzzeyEffie

Now I hope you all know that L'Oreal have bought (Destroyed) the brand YSL???
According to the "Sales Rep" I deal with... They (L'Oreal) re-vamped the old Opium due to falling sales. The "NEW" fragrance was re-vamped a hint more Jasmine and less of the woody/spice tones. As a business owner, in the perfume industry in Australia for 20yrs, I bought some stock as the price was great thinking that is was the old version. I bought my usual 50/20/10 of Eau De Toilette/Parfum/Body Cream, which would sell well before 6months... 13months later I have 45/19/10 and have had all my usual customers abuse me for L’Oreal’s deception/destruction/screw up of a much loved fragrance. The majority of my new customer are disgusted by the so called “NEW” smell... one comment is its shit!! Another was I wouldn’t put that crap on if you payed me!!!
I have sent all the remaining stock back to the twits/idiots/ @ L’Oreal, along with a petition that I got everyone who uses/tried the “NEW” Opium in the store over the last 6months(over 4739 signatures...) all saying it’s crap.... I have lost all my regular Opium customers and have not sold a single unit in 12months... I will not be stocking "Opium" any more.

guest_FridaysChild
guest_FridaysChild

I have worn Opium for years and just received the "new" today. IT IS NOT OPIUM! It is not even close. It has no mystery or depth. It is like a very sad and cheap imitation. Now what do I do? Grocery store perfume has to be better than this.

guest_debob
guest_debob

Just look at the notes compared to the old Opium. They took out 27 notes and left us with just 4. There is no more incense. What's going on? This can't possibly smell exactly like the old Opium. Are they still going to make the old formula? I noticed that there are several perfumes with Opium in the name, so is this one of them, just a version?

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

I don't understand if the previous reviewer is saying this is a new scent, somehow reformulated, or just in a new bottle? Or if they are talking about Belle di Opium.. which is the new scent in a blue bottle. Opium is not new. It smells the same to me, the way it always has to my nose. If you want a stronger version then you need the parfum. This is so sensual and I love it in the Winter or evenings. It's so alluring that only a light amount gets attention. I do like the new bottle. I think it looks more luxe than the original. A slight difference is expected. Brands have to change some scents over time in order to stay modern and make a profit. I know that people don't want their perfume to change, but the YSL brand suffers if Opium isn't selling. This is a hard perfume to sell to most people who are used to squeaky clean florals or fruit punch perfumes. They also stand to gain more attention to the scent from a younger consumer, and in statistics they shop more and do buy more products. There are not just four notes in this perfume. This bottle comes in an EDT and EDP version. I'm going to compare them and update soon.

i bought the new opium- because the package only indicates it is a new bottle-
good luck to ysl with this new fragrance- not only is it false advertising but, the scent is awful.
you know who is rolling over in his grave!

guest_opium
guest_opium

I love love love it!!!
I always like the old opium but I alwys had to spay it like 3 hours before I left because it was so strong. the new opium is much softer

Cereza
Cereza

I dislake "old" Opium because of my trauma that a woman had taken a bath in it and sat next to me in a bus. But oh boy, this even WORSE. At least the "old one" had a bouqet, classyness, power, this is just vile. Mettalic, bitter and vile.

Please, if you want to wear "Opium" - fine, but do wear the old version, not this disaster.

miriel
miriel

Another great perfume gone. Thank god I bought a nice vintage 60ml bottle... Go buy youselves old Opium because you'll miss it...

Natalie467
Natalie467

Yesterday I saw the tester for this in Macy's and wanted to give it a whirl, so I could compare it to my vintage bottle at home. The new bottle looks like a a splash, so I preceded to pull off the top, only to discover that this was indeed a spray. Whoops. Put the top back on the best I could and left.

Some did spill/leak onto my hands and it smells so-so, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. It does not have the same intoxicating, headiness and rich as the original-the new struck me as being sweet, why does everything today have to be sweet?!!

nada
nada

the scent is not identical to former opium :((( So disapointing - my best perfume ever gone...

Endymion

I was "lucky" to get in hands the new designed bottle of legendary Opium. What a disappointment! :(((
Although the design is not that ugly but the quailty is sooooo cheap that it hurts!
It feels so light and the spray is unstable like a very cheap fake product. Terrible!

i actually went out and purchased the new bottled opium edt yesterday. i havent worn opium since 6yrs ago so to be honest cant personaly remember what it smelt like. i do remember the reaction it had on men. had 5 guys fighting over me while wearing this!. my son smelt this on me while testing he could prodimatly smell cinnamon. i smell cinnamon with citrusy undertones it def also has a slight smokey wood effectmaybe patchouli mixed with myrrh. im not getting any hint of floral in it. maybe its my chemistry as perfume smells different on different people.

eilismaireg

the bottle is much more modern and beautiful than the old one. I used to dislike this scent as my mum wore it to death in the 80's but I blasted myself with it yesterday and really enjoyed wearing it; though its lack of evolution bothered me more than the smell itself, which is wonderfully baroque. It makes you feel as though it should be midnight whatever time it is!

elusivek
elusivek

When this first went on it smelled spicy, sultry, & sexy but alas, that element took a backseat to the powder that blankets it :(
Strong and long lasting, just wish they could do away with the powder element.

Chandramukhi
Chandramukhi

I was gifted the new EdP. I never had Opium before, so I cannot compare, but I think this is a fragrance that you receive as a gift and want to sell the bottle the second after trying it and you cannot, not even for 20 bucks, then you offer it to a friend or colleague and their reaction is to sell it or to offer it. Terrible, smells like an old dirty sofa, and also floral in an old fashion way, in the tuberose register. Compared to this, fragrances from the 40ies seem young and avangardist.It has a cinnamon drydown, in fact cinnamon is its dominant note. Reading the ingredients on the box we can detect more notes: cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl cinnamate, amyl cinnamal, among others. It would be correct to list that on this site. The cinnamyl alcohol is has the odor of hyacinth. The benzyl cinnamate can be obtained from Styrax (or storax). The amyl cinnamal smells like jasmine.
Any other defect of Opium? well, it smels very cheap.

Kankuro
Kankuro

Buy as many bottles of the old Opium as you can! The juice that is sold in this new bottle is NOT Opium anymore. The EdT has a weak, watery and cola like scent. And the EdP is even more faint and smells inharmonic and bitter. Why, Yves Saint Laurent? WHY?

efm
efm

I recently purchased the perfume in its red lacquer bottle. I had forgotten how much fun it is. At the height of its popularity Opium was very familiar and almost ubiquitous - it was done to death. Also I don't believe the EDT did justice to the original jus as it could be a little strident.
It fell of my radar.

Decades later, I experience warm citrus and spice overtones that dry to a honeyed myrrh. It is without a hint of wood or leather, no hint of unisex appeal.

I find it a mood enhancer. I truly hope YSL have merely repackaged and not played with the composition.

bronstein
bronstein

If they changed only the falcon, then the scent is identical to the one filled into the original flacon. It's the same then, isn't it?

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent 3.41 out of 5 based on 999 ratings and 196 user reviews

Eau De Toilette 1oz
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau de Toilette Spray for Men, 1.6 fl oz
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau de Toilette Spray for Men, 1.6 fl oz
OPIUM for MEN by Yves Saint Laurent EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ
OPIUM for MEN by Yves Saint Laurent EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Opium fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Opium, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Opium by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Opium by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.