Designers » T-Z » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women

smoky
Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Videos Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Videos
Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Opium was launched in 1977. Opium was created by Jean Amic and Jean-Louis Sieuzac. Top notes are coriander, plum, citruses, mandarin orange, pepper, jasmine, cloves, west indian bay and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, sandalwood, patchouli, cinnamon, orris root, peach, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are labdanum, tolu balsam, sandalwood, opoponax, musk, coconut, vanilla, benzoin, vetiver, incense, cedar, myrrh, castoreum and amber.

Coriander Plum Citruses Mandarin Orange Pepper Jasmine Cloves West Indian Bay Bergamot

Carnation Sandalwood Patchouli Cinnamon Orris Root Peach Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Labdanum Tolu Balsam Sandalwood Opoponax Musk Coconut Vanilla Benzoin Vetiver Incense Cedar Myrrh Castoreum Amber

Sarabe
Opium Légendes de Chine eau de Parfum
Kantali
Cinnabar
Ispahan

Opium Fragrance Reviews

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

I recently bought Opium Parfume! ( I have allready had Opium EdP).

In fact, the fragrance is perfectly functioning on me, which was confirmed by my female friends.

MRowe
MRowe

Extremely strong and spicy- one of the "room fillers" of the 80's and will precede you into a room. My ex husband gave me a large bottle of perfume about a year after we married and while I didn't like it at first it grew on me. It unfortunately reminds me of those sad and regrettable 3 years so it's a definite "no" for me but someone who loves big fragrances could pull it off on a cold and wet fall or winter evening.

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

Opium in versione originale è una fragranza inimitabile,un orientale morbido, voluttuoso, setoso, dolce e ricco, pieno, tondo e denso. capisco che non a tutti possa piacere,ma di profumi come questo oggi non ne esistono piu. opium è mistero, seduzione, magia, sogno e relax, la sua aura accompagna con piacere, è un fluido che seduce, culla e trastulla nel sogno.
da non confondere con la riformulazione del 2009 che è quella adesso in corso, che risulta aspra e sintetica.
questo opium, il vintage, è una pozione magica meravigliosa.

diamondkite
diamondkite

Review of vintage.

Opium is deeply earthy and deeply smokey. Smells like burning embers from a fire in an ancient forest and church incense.

This was my mother's 'going out' perfume for a time in the 80s so I can't be objective about my love for this... (her daytime signature was Paloma Picasso. I'm so glad I had my perfume formative years in the 70s & 80s. Fond memories).

It almost goes without saying that longevity & silage are INTENSE.

gracenote-floralspice

I love Opium. My bottle is the square bottle with the round window. Not sure if that is the reformulation. However, it's wonderful. Especially during the colder months here in SA. I would not use during the summer months. Opium is the epitomy of autumn, the burnt orange, amber coloured leaves, the tactual sensuality of different textures of leaves drying as they lay on the ground. The earthy smell of soil, the smoky fragrant warmth of a fire, the richness of deep autumn forests. That is Opium. Filled with sophistication and mystery.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

One of the most sophisticated juices out there! I remember first testing it as a 1st year university student in the early 90s, pungent, heady and smoky but I didn't have the sophistication to pull it(few can do at that age).But I never forgot its allure, so when I had the chance I got it recently.
This is the kind of scent one either hates or loves and am in the latter group!On cloth you get a riot of smoke,carnation,myrrh and spice,and takes sometime to tone down to smoky fumy woody spice. On skin though mellows pretty quickly to a smoky resinous carnation, deep, intoxicating and heavy, I also detect ahint of musk somewhere behind the incense and benzoin that gives it a more powedery carnal quality. This is NOT a scent for either the faint hearted or shrinking violets, the opium woman is sophisticated, confident,alluring but mostly mysterious, another fragrantican mentioned that Opium has a strong church like smell and it's that quality that lends it its spirituality.For me,all the above plus the monumental longevity and sillage make it a must for my perfume wardrobe,YSL you created a Legend!Devoted!

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

Heaven in a bottle. So warm, cozy, spicy, reminds me of a freshly snuffed out candle. My mom wears this sometimes. I'm catholic and I'm sure some of the catholics on here reading this will agree that deep down in this fragrance theres an impression of those special masses where they swing this lantern looking thing on a chain up and down the isles. I remember it mainly on christmas. Very classic scents. For the ones who like fruit punch smelling perfume, stay away. Its far too classy for you. ;)

JPS1979
JPS1979

I own an eau de parfum early formulation & the current one (with the black wick-looking thing in the bottle).

The difference between my early-90's version and the current definitely cannot be disputed. The older bottle I have is richer and deeper. It's simply, umm, more expensive smelling? The opening blast of this is somewhat overwhelming. I really don't care for the initial top citrus smell at all, but the dry-down is really what it's all about though, right?
It lasts about 10-12 hours if not longer.

I'm surprised that not enough others have listed this as being so similar to Estée Lauder Cinnabar, so that it would show up as an icon for comparison. While I appreciate EL's creations, this has something which Cinnabar lacks and has more of an oomph. Our American Cinnabar seems stuffy to me, while this one is sexier, richer, animalic and wilder. It's like the corny part in movies where the secretary has let down her French twist and removed her glasses to release the sexiness within.

As much as I enjoy this smell, I would still reach for my bottle of Paul Sebastian (don't judge me) or Estée Lauder's Youth-Dew before this one.

As I sit here writing this, it's still very summery in my neck of the woods. I'm eagerly awaiting the cooler weather only so I can put away the lighter juices and bring out my heavy ones.

Bublegum
Bublegum

This is my dad's favorite perfume and he bought it for me first time when I was 12. I used to hate it back then, it was indeed reminding me of church, as some people mentioned. But I was wearing it once in a blue moon and I was always listening compliments. By the passage of time I grew fond of it. It is a classical one!

Mistressvoodoodolly
Mistressvoodoodolly

Whenever I can I get the vintage version of any older perfume and if I'm lucky I get it in the parfum concentration to stretch it out. I always store them in a cool dark drawer. Years ago I was lucky enough to score .5 ounce of vintage Opium parfum and it's like being a high priestess in a sacred temple wearing it. I haven't smelled the reformulation but now I'm dying to.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

The vintage is wearable on me, with lots of spicy notes with good quality sandalwood incense and delicious leathery/soapy qualities but since this has been modernised and reformulated the components all smell plastic like and artificial and like a cheap oriental musk body spray sprayed to cover the smell of menthol ciggies and I definitely get a mothballs vibe. Nice but not enough of a love for me to bother tracking down a nice vintage bottle. Personally I find dior's Farenheit to be a better alternative to the reformulated version.

tubereuse
tubereuse

Love or hate. Most unfortunately i’m in the latter group. Very strong, a sneezer, scrubber, headache-maker, overboard. Glad that it works for some!

Kittycat63

This has to be the worst perfume I've ever tried. I tested it one time years and years ago and it was a HUGE mistake instantly ... it clung to me for dear life and was suffocatingly heavy, strong, spicy and foul. I tried to wash it off desperately but still it clung on, as strong as before if not even stronger. I literally was turning green and felt nauseous after about 5 minutes of having it on my skin. God knows I've smelled some stinkers, and sometimes made the mistake of testing them on my skin, but have never had a perfume give me such a stomach churning reaction like that! NEVER AGAIN!

Be warned - this is DEFINITELY not the type of perfume to risk blind buying and should be sniffed and tested on skin before buying. Personally, I'd banish all heavy, clingy stinkers like this one into outer space if I could!

Tragically, this seems to be one of those perfumes that totally divides people - it's either (totally inexplicably!) loved or hated and, of course, I'm one of the latter types! I've also noticed that most negative reviews on here for it get no arrows and / or disappear without trace very quickly because no doubt the people who love it get infuriated that anyone dare criticize it and not gush about it! So, let's see whether this negative review gets any balloons ! !

Sweet Sea Pea
Sweet Sea Pea

Born in 1977 like myself, I really want to love Opium, even make it my signature. I hadn't smelled it since childhood, when I had a mini of it. I'm guessing my mother didn't like Opium, since that mini was in my possesion. I recently found that my co-worker, a plain elderly woman, had a vintage mini of EDT tucked away in her desk drawer. I can see why she would never wear this. It's not bad...it's just too much. I have no idea how this compares to the vintage EDP or modern formulations, but it is certainly a familiar, oft overapplied scent. The beginning and top are a very pungent incense for me. I sometimes like incense very much, but I associate this particular variant of incense with shabby student housing, when incense is used to cover bad odors or pot smoke. Initially I do smell something similar to Arpege, which I love...a warm bright golden ambery sandalwood. But it's covered up with so much other stuff and I lose it. There is a soapy kind of note that I don't enjoy, like really cheap public restroom soap. Then there is a powdery element beyond the powderiness of the incense. Normally I can quite enjoy powdery fragrances, but this is getting stuck in the back of my throat, like walking into a cloud of stinkily perfumed talc. I can't see myself wearing this particular fragrance. I felt really self concious on the way home, emanating waves of this scent. I do recall once wearing a version of Opium in my teens which was much more sweetly sultry, and I'm guessing that was an EDP. So, while I am a bit dismayed by the vintage EDT, I am now more eager to sample other variations.

Fräulein Schill
Fräulein Schill

Does anybody know whether a NEW version smells visibly different to its original edition - weaker and/or not so special etc? Need a honest advice quite quick, though.
_______

UPD: tried Belle D'Opium (which supposed to be a "new" violet bottle edition) - despite knowing it is modern edition, I actually like it a lot. So I wonder if it is worth to give it a try and still get that re-formulated Opium? I don't think it would be easy to obtain its VINTAGE version anymore but if the "clone" smells not so dissapointing, I rather get 90ml in order to keep the bottle as long as possible. Silly me, I tried new smell but forgot the details! Yuk.

_______

... Actually there is no need to think this re-newed version could be weak or so - I just tried it today and am extremely pleased with 2009's EDP - long lasting, perfectly aromatic, deep and so much identical to its early friend. Simply wonderful. You can rely on it guys! Excellent!

Whiteclimax
Whiteclimax

This fragrance smells like church! Like myrrh
Definitely not for the young girls!

paoloalcantara
paoloalcantara

Gotta love the 2007 EDP!!! lots of childhood memories from this one. This has been worn by some close relatives of mine during he early to mid eighties. I feel that I can wear this anytime... One spray will do the trick :)

raunchy
raunchy

The Magician at my country used to smell this way. Its classic, authentic.Earthy. My friend used to laugh at me when i use it. They called me a witch. But i'm fine with it. Sometimes nice to be different. Challenging. Only thing when im at public place some people will look around for a witch pass by.
Just give me fun! Though will not use it alot. Probably twice a month at friday night to shopping mall.
Trully Magician Scent!

PERFUMELOVINGWOMAN
PERFUMELOVINGWOMAN

IN THE LATE 80'S, I BOUGHT MYSELF A BOTTLE OF THIS AS A TREAT. I THOUGHT IT WAS A WONDERFUL, SPICY MASTERPIECE. I TRIED A TESTER AT BOOTS THE OTHER DAY. WHERE HAS IT GONE??? I GOT A WHIFF OF MILD SPICY, THAT WAS IT. WHAT IS THIS TREND OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS OF EVERYTHING HAVING TO SMELL OF ALMOST NOTHING AT ALL??? I READ A PERFUME REVIEW THE OTHER DAY FROM SOMEONE WOWING OVER A FRAGRANCE SHE HAD TRIED, SAYING IT SMELT LIKE 'I HAD JUST STEPPED OUT OF A SHOWER', THAT IT WAS LIKE 'CLEAN FRESH SKIN' WHAT!!! I CAN GET THE SAME EFFECT WITH SOAP AND WATER, AT A LOT LESS COST. ISN'T WEARING PERFUME ABOUT PERSONALITY ANYMORE? ABOUT MAKING A STATEMENT?, OR ARE PEOPLE REALLY SO FRIGHTENED NOW OF OTHERS JUDGING THEM.

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

I had a bottle of the new post 2009 opium for a year now (the edp) and i really like it. The sillage is incensy and smoldering hot and exotic.
i also bought a 30 ml edt from the old opium and i traced it back to 2008 i guess.
i now understand some of the anger and frustration towards the new opium. I sprayed the old and new one on both my wrists: the pre-reformulation is warm, deep from the start; lots of resinous amber and a pronounced bay leaf and spicy orangey accord shines through.
the new? more of a watery white floral mix, some vanilla, spice from the carnation and a more manly oriental accord(a tad weird). never bothered me much till i tried the old stuff.
after an hour or so, both perfumes become much similar though, and that's a good thing, but in the opening and early heart notes you can sense the loss:s
BUT surely better the new version of opium than nothing at all! And i still say the reformulated "new" Opium is a very beautiful and sultry perfume.

hanson26
hanson26

I always used to say the reformulated version is good- and it is. It's by no means a bad perfume, and I still really, really like it, but upon receiving a bottle of pre-reformulation, I understand why many people are disappointed. I've always remembered the old version as being great, but this is just ah-freaking-mazing. Right up there on my list of favorite orientals for sure, whereas the new formula is just a strong 'like'. This is an absolutely gorgeous scent, and it's earned it's reputation as a classic. I mostly get incense and carnation, on a background of warm, soft spices. Oh yeah, I said soft. I personally don't think this is the super strong 80's bomb people seem to make it out to be. Yes, it's very spicy, you have to like incense and spices for this to work, but it's just not really a "knock-you-out" type of perfume. Coco Chanel, Dior Poison, those are perfumes that I just can't wear. I can appreciate them, but they kill me. Opium is full of resinous, spicy notes and not much of anything fresh or flowery in there to temper that, so yeah it's definitely not for everyone, but it's not the kind of overwhelming sillage bomb that makes you choke. It has a certain subtlety to it given the notes. LOVE.

EliaTatuirovka
EliaTatuirovka

Ouuuch! My Grandma used it when I was a little girl. LOL.. She even allowed me to use it few times. Back then I thought it was amazing, But today there's no way on earth I am gonna' spray anything like this on my skin. -Ooooooh, This scent is way to0o0o0o strong!

lucindacrewe
lucindacrewe

although i was never too keen on this my nan recently gave me a bottle of the older formulation of this and i quite like it.
it isnt something i would ware all the time but it does seem to cheer me up if i am in the mood for it.
it is best kept for sunny days out in the park. definatly not something to be worn on hot days indoors, or long car journeys...deffinatly not.
i am 24 now so i think that when i last tried to ware it mabey 12 years or so ago i was i bit to young to appreciate it, but that just proves you should never throw a perfume or count it out as you may one day work out the notes from the intensity of it and grow to love it.

moonprismpower
moonprismpower

This would be very sexy on a man. Slightly sweet, clean, spicy shaving cream/barber shop fragrance. Classic.

arrokaj
arrokaj

it was a gift from a 50years old collegue.i was a little bit strong for me. but i guess for her age it was a must :)

danaklein
danaklein

One of my favorite scent, the true lady's perfume, it could be shocking nowadays, but it is just due to the fact that big corporations are formating our taste with shitty synthetics.

firstinthedance
firstinthedance

On me, Opium opens with a very strong, rich incense when it is first applied - but luckily, it calms down within a few minutes, and becomes a clean spicy fragrance reminiscent of men's cologne. It reminds me of Obsession, but it is cleaner and less cloying. It is very pleasant, but I think my chemistry just makes it smell too masculine on me. I would LOVE it on the right guy.

missan

I see older formulations of this wonderful also for men. I have one that I believe is the original edt. It´s very natural smelling and suit a men just as perfectly as a woman, at least if you are just a little into Eastern types of male perfumes.

It was a masterpiece IMHO.

The voted notes for this is totally wrong to my nose.

joe70062
joe70062

The 1980's called, they want their perfume back. And don't forget Dior Poison when you get there! Both classic, and both so strong they were refused entry in many places (where people were eating). Love them and hate them! They remind me of how old I am. Try before you buy!

Laurdess
Laurdess

my mom used to wear this while I was coming up as a kid. This is one of those smells that take me right back when I was a little girl.there are very few things that came out of the 1980's. this is one of them. Iconic, legendary, a timeless classic.

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

I used to hate it, but now I love it. I suppose that is just a result of getting older and tastes changing. more for the 30 and older crowd, might be too boring and out of place for a younger more playful woman, very beautiful if it works with your body chemistry, denotes glamour and sophistication for a more mature woman.
Takes self assurance to wear it successfully, or it will wear you. A good perfume to make you feel glamorous and confident.
Spray light for daytime use, it is a heady strong scent

Rubytwostep
Rubytwostep

My short answer is that my rating claims that I like it. But this is only because this system does not allow you to love/hate it, the way you do a semi toxic frenemy who is so fun and uproarious to drink with before she gets mean that you just can't resist her, even if afterwards nearly every time you wake up with a hangover emotional as well as physical.

My long answer is that I only have a vague memory of some time in childhood smelling this scent for the first time, probably in some aunts toilette or boudoir and being absolutely enchanted. At some point in the 80's I think that I also must have seen the David Lynch commercial, and in my impressionable preteen or teen years formed an impression and forever after associated the bottle with a hauty, exotic and languid woman...the kind of sensuous and magnanimous woman I aspired to be and on good days feel I am.

Now 35, when I went into an old fashioned pharmacy carrying exclusively classic European scents my heart swelled when I saw it on the shelf....I hadn't smelled it in perhaps 20 or more years, and I was expecting to love it....and was struck by how much at first while rich and exotically aromatic, upon second whiff how heavy handed, almost oppressive and cloying it smelled.

Where was the fire eyed languid woman from the commercial? I smelled only the grande dam with the non fashion statement fuchsia lipstick, the woman who's coiffed hair is faintly violet and who's clothes are more gaudy than glamorously elegant as she is aspiring to appear or perhaps once was. I smelled faded glory, an outdated and almost putridly potent scent that coated my already clogged sinuses and threatened a migraine should I be prone to them.

Now that it is dried down, I smell more gloriously strong smoky temple intense, lily and rose singing in strange harmony with musk, iris, spices, citrus and something like bergamot...but still laced together with a heavy, artificial powdery scent that I still find almost so disagreeable as to want to discard my tiny gold embossed sample paper.

The funny thing is the more I write about my surprise negative reaction, the more I keep picking it up to huff it again and again, each time fighting between my strong almost involuntary urge to dive in and search ravenously every nook and cranny of this exotic scent to capture and categorize it as one might a rare and dangerous tropical bird, and to take a shower or plunge my nose over dark roasted coffee beans to erase this heavy smell from my nose like a bad oldfactory dream.

Oh how I wish it had been the old formulation and I could feel nothing but enchanted and hypnotized as I had hoped those around me would feel when I wore it, as I have here read sometimes happens. In it's current formulation I think it should come with a biohazard warning label.

Perhaps that was too harsh. Let me restate and be more specific: This scent in its current formulation could clear a room but for a few nostalgic old souls and maybe a man who is utterly brazen, perhaps troublesomely so...which in certain moods might be just what a mature and strong woman is after. But don't wear it on a first date unless it's for quality control and you're an intense type who believes firmly if it's too hot, get the hell out of the kitchen, and doesn't mind going home alone.

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

The legendary oriental that everyone should smell at least once in their lifetime! The queen of all spicy oriental fragrances! All over the place they sell opium oils, opium incense, opium this and opium that.. I never knew what these products were inspired after until I began my fragrance journey and became familiar with Opium by Yves Saint Laurent.. So I eventually ended up getting my hands on a vintage bottle of Opium and a vintage "Tom Ford" era formula bottle for literally nothing! When I first smelled the cap of the Opium bottle I was lost in its scent! It is truly something mesmerizing and groundbreaking! I was quite surprised how modern it smells for something from so long ago, Opium is still quite far from dated! This is not an old lady scent, it is a scent for a Women and not for little girls that can not handle it.. Opium opens up with beautiful blast of deep exotic spices, resins, sparkling florals, and a hint of citrus.. Than I begin to detect all different types of notes.. Clove, citruses, jasmine, bay.. From the very first sniff you can smell how deep and complex this fragrance is.. More and more notes start to emerge.. Cinnamon, carnation, sandalwood, patchouli, gorgeous florals, myrrh, incense, amber, benzoin, castoreum, musk and the list goes on.. It is so deep, spicy, and exotic that words simply cannot describe it and there are so many notes that it is hard to pick them apart.. The scent conjures up all different things in the mind, mystical temples of the orient, exotic spices of the east, a mysterious gypsy campfire, the scent of an eastern opium den.. I was quite surprised at how easy this scent was for me to pull off as a man.. Easily wearable for men as long as they appreciate this type of fragrance.. Opium is powerful and makes one hell of a statement! The projection and longevity are superb! Two squirts will last over 12 hours and you will keep getting wafts of spices, resins, and incense throughout the day.. The vintage formula is far superior to the new 2009 reformulation.. I do not know how they could permit themselves to tamper with a classic but at least Opium still lives on in its new form.. Opium is to Yves Saint Laurent as No.5 is to Chanel.. Opium is a classic fragrance that should be experienced by anyone that is into fragrances at least once! Opium is powerful, exotic, mysterious, and seductive! This is one of the best classic oriental fragrances of all time.. The more and more I wear this fragrance , the more I fall in love with it.. Opium has so much depth, it is so complex, so rich, and those are qualities that you do not find in modern designer perfumes anymore.. Opium is the intoxicating queen of all oriental perfumes for women! Give her a shot and get to know her before you turn her down.. She is something else!

Elviraelbasan
Elviraelbasan

two very little sprays behind the hear and enjoy this miracle
I love it

purplealien
purplealien

Opium was the second 'proper' grown-up perfume I fell in love with (the first being Mystere de Rochas)

I inherited my love of perfume from my Mother, she would always wear perfume and smell divine. When my Father traveled he would always return home with a new perfume treat for her. When we all traveled it would eventually be my turn to experience my own special perfume treat.

It was the mid 80's and that was when I discovered Opium, it was love at first sniff! It became my signature scent and I wore it for years, during which time my parents must have gifted me around a dozen bottles!

My taste in perfume changed and my last bottle of Opium was placed back in it's box and put away in a drawer.

Recently I had heard that it had been reformulated and it was sad to think that this classic scent might never be the same. It had been quite a while since I smelled Opium although I remembered it so well, so I took out my vintage bottle...would it have gone off like some of my other older scents. It looked all right, it hadn't darkened or changed consistency. It was perfect, I was transported back in time to the smell of my youth, the beautiful incense and spice a true masterpiece. My only disappointment being there is only half of the bottle left, so I will treasure it.

It will be interesting to test the new formula at some point.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

One reviewer hit it on the head. It is not bad smelling. It's actually very nice. But it is VERY strong and can wreak havoc on people with allergies. Most days I revel in it's smell. Some days, it makes me a bit nauseous. If they could take one of the stronger dry down smells: patchouli, amber, vanilla, cedar, sandalwood, cloves, balsam, or incense; or if they could take a couple of these out, it would be much more tolerable to more people. I like it, but would LOVE it if it weren't so dang strong!!! I'm afraid I'll wear it and offend someone.

Miriana93
Miriana93

For me its too strong and over-whelming. It's too oriental, balsamic and woodsy. I like having a tiny whiff out of the bottle since it reminds me of my childhood because it's my aunt's signature smell but I would never wear it out since I cannot handle the potent smell. The smell isn't unpleasant - it is just too strong and I like lighter, fruitier smells. This one is very mature and smells expensive but it's just not for me.

LoveForYMCMB
LoveForYMCMB

IMO, this is the worst fragrance EVER, bad, bad, bad, i smelled it from the bottle and it was plain terrible, so i didin't dare to try it on my skin (i tried the vintage one). This is a disaster IMO.

veda
veda

Sometime ago I tried some Opium from a big 4 oz bottle and it was
a m a z i n g !!

I saw an endless paradise.
I felt real warm carnation waves...
My hair bathed in moonlight coconut.
My heart beat sandalwood hard.

and...the next day...paradise still being there with some amber on my chest...
I tried Opium in a perfume store.
Oh my why.....
It was strong, bitter and so...chemical......

I forgot to tell you my Opium is about 24 years old.
why they killed this jewel...Oh why Oh why do you destroy such a gems like this one...
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind..!

Debra1
Debra1

If Price was not an Object Id wear the Orginal Sent Every Day, However Since it is, I have to Stick to the imotation versions and perfume oils of opium, a good perfume oil opium is even better. I wonder why they call anthing that smells heady earthy spicey musky and intoxicatingly sultry, Old Lady Perfumes? Opim Is a Sent of Insence Musk Patchouli Spices and Sandlewood, How very Hippyeske!!! I Can't Relate This Sent or Anything Like It To Grandma, Unless She Went To Woodstock, But I Rather Doubt It!!! It's Also Sexy, I Don't Know If Grandma and Grandpa are up for that, Unless who knows what they put in that Geratol? Again I Rather Doubt It!!! So Stop Calling Spicey Orentials, Grandma Perfumes. I Adore This Sent, it brings out the Earth Mother in me.

Pusteblumchen
Pusteblumchen

Opium, as the name says, is addiction in pure state. Once you get caught by the scent you'll not be able to ignore it anymore.

I decided to try Opium after asking a woman what perfume she was wearing. I knew the body chemistry changes the results in every single woman and was hoping to have a good result on myself. I didn't get the wonderful result I smelled on her though but my nose keeps me reminding about this perfume all the time. I can "smell" it with my memory and that's special.

It's warm and protective, reminds me a mother being protected by her grandmother. Reminds me on elegant and charming women. I simply can't get all the "sexy" gossip behind this scent. I think I wasn't impressed by the all propaganda towards it but kept the memories of my childhood where these bold, strong and female ladies were wearing such warm, woody and oriental perfumes. With my mum and granny on the first place.

It's absolutely no perfume for easy people. It's bold and at same time smooth... It's like a golden sunset in a oasis...

Boston2013
Boston2013

My sister has worn this perfume for many years. It works on her; she has always been "buxom", blond headed with great, big, blue eyes and has a BIG personality.

She's all boobs and attitude.

I'm (cough cough) not as "impressive." Short, thin, dark eyed - and happily so - but I can't wear this stuff without smelling like I broke into "Mada Hari's medicine cabinet. :)

It's too big. Too strong. Overwhelms me and makes me smell like I'm wearing the perfume of a, well, "real live, grown up" sexy, lady.

This is beautiful perfume, but it's definitely "vampish." Not for lightweights. It's smoldering sexiness, bottled.

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

Balsamic fragrances and I have enjoyed a long and much loved partnership. Imagine my disappointment when my body chemistry decided to muffle those much adored notes as well as EVERY other gorgeous ingredient in this perfume except the CINNAMON, VETIVER and PATCHOULI (which certain quantities/strains of each or either in combination are atrocious on me).

Perhaps I was just too young to wear it? Maybe the last traces of puberty were still present in my late blooming body and wrecked havoc 10 minutes after spraying this well established classic?

I kept away from this for YEARS because in some way, I felt betrayed by it. Here it was, so many glorious ingredients that I know suit me well all in ONE attractive bottle and yet, we bring out the worst in each other?!? It didn't make sense.

I have heard that it is now reformulated. Quite soon I plan on paying a visit to the fragrance counters at my local high end department stores and shall see what happens then.

bojana23
bojana23

my mom has it and absolutely loves it! i hate it so much, but i can't escape it! Lucky for me, after 2 days you start smelling the base notes which are really nice. it's just so frustrating to have to wait for 2 badly smelling days to get to this heavenly scent. (in these 2 days i included 2 showers, which don't really make the smell go away)

elenaki62

ive never tried the new version Im too afraid to now, the original was heaven, spicy heaven never have I come across another like it, It was the best always got compliments and lasted forever all u needed was 1 squirt and u were in spicy clovey heaven all day, ive never gotten compliments on any other perfume like this one, men loved this and so did I Opium vintage for ever, must track down a bottle of vintage I missed it for too long

elenaki62

ahhhh Opium many good memories with this beauty, going out clubbing getting asked my men what is that beautiful perfume u have on, ohhh how I miss Opium, does anyone know of any dupe oils that are like the original, also have their body line, oil,lotion,cream and powder also been changed or are they the same as before

raluca_am
raluca_am

Overpowering, old, at the firts smell. Beautiful scent, but only after it settles down on my skin, after 2-3 hours. It causes nausea in the summer, it only works in cold winter nights or cold rainy autumn nights. It smells great on smokers.

Levana
Levana

Do not mess with women that wear Opium!

witchyfelinelove
witchyfelinelove

I love this scent for fall and winter the spicy smokey smell always reminds me of holidays and bonfires and ice skating. This is a scent my grandmother gave my sister as we were growing up and we shared this I have not used it in years but seeing the reviews that there was a change in the formula I am not sure I would want to.

larebe
larebe

This was my mom's favorite perfume, so for that reason alone, I love it. And it really is a beautiful scent.

gabriel.villa
gabriel.villa

Opium, by Yves Saint Laurent, other great classic that I'm lucky enough to wear these days. Opium means so much to me, as many of my perfumes, of course. But Opium is quite special, really.

Opium was released in 1977, and that by itself is great, because I tend to like many things from the 70s. The music, the movies, the crazy style, everything so beautiful! Opium actually came out one year after "Carrie", my favorite movie of all times, and I really can imagine Sissy Spacek, Nancy Allen and oll of those actresses I love wearing Opium. In fact, last friday I went to the movies and I watched the new "Carrie" wearing Opium, of course. I had to do that.

Well, the fragrance starts with lots of jasmine, and old kind of jasmine, I'd say the same jasmine I smell in some chypre perfumes like Mitsouko. In the beginning I also smell some chypre quality to Opium, perhaps because of the castoreum which brings that bitter thing to the smell, and definitely there is mandarine and green tones. West Indian Bay, coriander... and there is the clove, evidently, also bitter but really sweet. So Opium keeps going on, going more spicy and more smoky. I detect the carnation, floral and spicy, the cinnamon, patchouli gives the fragrance even more depth... and the fruity tone of mandarine keeps alive in Opium, now with a peachy vibe. And as the hours keep going, Opium keeps getting more and more smoky. I detect the castoreum, again, the amber, the vetiver, and that keeps the bitterness of the fragrance. Benzoin, opoponax, myrrh, incense, all of them keep the sweetness and the smokiness. Vanilla, coconut and musk now, so everything is pretty balanced and pretty delicious. Opium is really well constructed... the flowers, the fruits, the spices, the smoke and the bitter elements, everything is there, all the time, making me feel special and exotic.

Opium is really strong. It slaps people in the face, it knocks people down, it makes people to be sick or to be amazed by what you are wearing. It hunts, seriously. Take care with it. But it's not that kind of difficult perfume to wear, in my opinion. It hunts people, but it lets me feel confortable, it lets me feel it's beauty. It doesn't bother in any way - if the weather helps, of course. Night time, cold wear, don't forget.

And Opium was reformulated. Bottle changed, fragrance changed... I have old Opium, I don't know the new one very well, just tried it on paper, but I imagine it's less smoky, bitter and animalic. The new one can be good yet, but the old one, wow, it's just fantastic, just astonishing.

Opium, as the name says, is like a drug. An addictive perfume. And again that word, exotic! Take care with it, I say that again too, but's let be dangerous. Wearing Opium is certainly to be like a narcotic...

fayegiblin
fayegiblin

This was my first 'big night out perfume' in the 70s and it never let me down. Everything about this says 'I'm a girl on a mission' and 'lets go dancing'. It's fabulous , gorgeous, heavy-weight material and not to be ignored.

You will love it (like I do) or hate it but you will not escape it, that's for sure. The sillage and longevity is top shelf! Just get it... join the club, and enjoy!

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

The original and the best.

"Opium" is a procession of spice and incense bearers, at the heart of which is a mysterious, exotic beauty peeking through the veils of her swaying palanquin to observe the dusky red sky and dream about her lover.

Its lush, hazy opulence cannot be ignored. Everyone who doesn't know this classic, wants to know what it is.

I'm not sure how the re-formulation has changed it, but the original was a masterpiece.

andreabutler111
andreabutler111

I have the EDT in this. I didnt expect to like it as I have never liked the perfume.

This I love!! Its soft and very expensive smelling on me. It will always be in my collection from now on.

lollsazz
lollsazz

Slightly old-fashioned perfumes are my guilty pleasure. On me this is a mainly spicy, incense, cinnamon and jasmine (that people apparently don't smell, according to the ratings...). For some reason I expected something scandalous/crazy from the name, but I think the smell is very yummy, cosy, relaxing and appropriate for the colder time of the year :)

ClaudiaA1
ClaudiaA1

The wild, mysterious smokiness with a hint of citrus and lots of clove promises a passionate love-hate relationship.

Then it all calms down a bit as the jasmine and the cinnamon start to emerge and you think - oh - you have grown on me my darling Opium.

And, around the 9th hour of wear, vanilla - cinnamon - coconut... just in time for bed!

As a conclusion, to wear this perfume is to understand and to accept your wild side. It can be that powerful

pretty mini collector
pretty mini collector

This was one of my grandma's favorite scents. It reminds me of her, but on me, it's too overpowering.

shushkin
shushkin

I've just turned 50 and I remember only too well the Opium of the seventies and early eighties. Mum loved the stuff and to be honest it just didnt suit a tall, slender blonde "english rose"! What with that and my Dads love of old spice! My brother and I would keep out of the way when they were going out for the evening. Our heads would spin!
It was all so so heavy and oriental. One sniff and you could never forget it. I can accept it is a classic now. It screams "feminism" to me but hey those were the days when woman were doing their thang!

tanzp
tanzp

i don't love but i like its a great old school smell ;]

jillgath
jillgath

Haunting

Andrapi
Andrapi

There are rumors about a new reformulation that happened in the second half of 2013.
Opium now *seems* to smell like the vintage one.
Can anyone confirm?

mikicat65
mikicat65

...if you are not from te '70's, you will never understand the great magis that Opium cast over us young ladies during those long gone sultry days, and delicious nights.....Opium was my very first "real" scent. I adored everything about it, studied the bottle everyday before gently removing the heavy stopper and dabbing the golden magical potion behind my ears and on my wrists, and ofcourse, a dab between the boobs.....no, we will never forget our Opium days, will we ladies?

Matusha
Matusha

How could I ever forget this epic bottle on my dresser? I rarely get it out as it is so profound and special. I have had a bottle of this in my collection since 1979.

I remember when this came out how bright the world seemed. Disco lights sparkling and nights that officially ended at dawn. Opium never gave out even if you did!

There are more notes here anything currently on the market. I would say over 1000 per spray. Cloves, carnation, cinnamon always came to mind. There is this creamy vanilla sultry ending that is so hard to take apart.

Suddenly, its gone. Well since 2009 when the box changed, the original smell has been replaced with a rather linear jasmine body spray. For whatever reason, most likely the cost, Opium has had bad cosmetic surgery. Cheaper ingredients at the same or higher price.

Hence, I hold my original bottle near and dear to my heart...

Ql7
Ql7

I was given a bottle of the perfume, original formulation, as a gift from one of my lovers back in the late 70s. I remember the beautiful dry down, like church incense - absolutely intoxicating! It was the most sensuous, sophisticated fragrance I ever experienced that drew constant comments from both men and women.

Le_Coeur_Gothique
Le_Coeur_Gothique

-It is a scent of contradictions, like the ancient incense of vespers and the fleeting musk of an one night stand.

-In small doses, Opium is not incompatible with dining, clubbing or romance. Used excessively it will ward off flies, humans and evil spirits.

-A spectacular incense of monstrous proportions.

-The smell of Marco Polo's clothes as well as come back at Venice from his journey along the silk route.

-I particularly love to apply a single, small squirt before bed. The smell is just heavenly. And all night I dream of the hanging gardens of Babylon...

-I know why this perfume is called Opium. It is totally addictive...

-Good lord, this is chemical warfare of the highest concentration!

-God, Opium... what are you doing to me?

-Is it possible not to be consumed by its beauty?

-This is a sin. It must be.And the name, God that name! The whole thing is criminal.

-The Opium is the most glamorous and dangerous girl ever appeared from Paris, seducing one feeble admirer after the other as she moves along.

-Holy mother of god, this is amazing!!!It is just to die for...

-OPIUM feels more like an impressionist painting about life and love on the ancient Silk Road. Truly you can't appreciate what an oriental fragrance really is until you've smelled this masterpiece.

-Oh god, I literally felt like this perfume had a death grip on my throat.

-Even after 32 years on the market, this scent still screams "OBEY ME."

-I like it because it doesn't try to be likeable. It's just there.

-I do believe that this perfume wears you...

-While I do not wear it regularly, when I do, I intoxicate.Seduction in a bottle...

-This is what I imagine the spice from Dune smells like...

-It caused such a stirring in my loins that I'd track and hunt a woman wearing this down forever. BRILLIANT!

-Treat yourself to the parfum. There is nothing in the world like it.

-Opium is intoxicating and heady stuff. Something no wicked, decadent girl should be without.

-It is my default fragrance. The one I want to be remembered for. The one I want to be buried in.

-When it comes down to Opium, I'd have to say I'm a total sucker for it.

-Dear God!!!What on earth is this???How could you ever create such a temptation???

-Opium is timeless and magical, and it is still THE Oriental.

-Proof that there is a heaven.

-I admit it, I'm hooked. I always heard that opium was highly addictive...

-This stuff should be illegal...

-It doesn't offer any favors,you don't have to just like it,you have to love it and if it loves you back,it will be a best friend for ever ...

-It’s a bit of a creepy feeling, like meeting one of your old boyfriends, or someone’s walking over your grave...

-Opium is the most magnificent antidote to the waves of pubescent pop princess, foody/deodorant-style, mass-made scents that rule young fragrance buyers as the 20th century closed and the 21st century begins.

-I thought I bought a scent,I got Lilith in a bottle...

Do I need to say more?...

naen
naen

Had this incredible scent 10 years ago, a gift from an older man who met me for the first time... and actually it was my very fist perfume, a real perfume!
So sorry i didn't, couldn't appreciate it back then, i was actually too young, mid 20s. It didn't suit me, it should be worn by a real, mature woman, not a 25 years old shy girl. But Opium will always have a special aura because of that special man.

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

I remember this scent well, my aunt wore it. I read on a perfume blog that it was completely reformulated due to allergy causing ingredients. I tried the new version and I was SHOCKED how it was so completely different than the original. If you love this one, snatch up the old versions. It will never be the same.

deadidol
deadidol

A huge, intense, shoulder pads and big hair kind of a scent. It brings up all kinds of associations as its one of those perfumes that's been worn entirely too loudly for decades by at least one person you know. It's a true powerhouse of bay, incense, waxy aldehydes, and indolic jasmine that could be rocked by a guy just as well as it could by a lady. I'm sure that, like many of its contemporaries, its a shadow of its former self, but it still kicks the ass of many of its department store shelf-mates. It runs a tad too powdery these days, but everything about it signifies excess in the best possible ways.

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

"Fits perfectly for a late-forties, red-headed, rich bitch, desperate for a man, you get the picture..."

Are you kidding me? Some of these reviews are highly insulting, degrading, and insensitive! The fool that wrote that review below does not know anything about the woman that wears this fragrance. Try being an abused wife, stalking survivor, Hurricane Katrina survivor, raise a son by yourself whom becomes a U.S. Marine that you're so very proud of, and make it up to the top in the corporate world.

The woman that wears this scent is a strong woman! This scent has endured and is still around because the women who had endured are still around to love this fragrance. It's bold, beautiful and empowering! There are enough reviews below to tell you this is a masterfully done fragrance!

Desperate for a man? Not hardly...but if you're a man with a noble heart, want to be her partner, and would never hurt her or expose her vulnerability, she might consider you! Love is there for everyone at any age. This fragrance only enhances the experience.

Please be more kind when writing reviews! That is to say, you can certainly express your opinion, positive or negative, about a fragrance... just don't bash the people who wear it.

polarisking
polarisking

The first impression is of incense, clearly, and is a strong note, enough to take some acrimony. The body: the complex variety of resins along with amber and musk, are a long-term base for this fragrance that changes over time prodigiously. After the first 2 hours spicy notes leading to an intense sweetness, not like the "sugary sweetness" of certain perfumes today..., but a complex and rich sweetness, Animalic, woody, and refined. The cinnamon, sandalwood and clove are well combined with orange, coconut, vanilla and classic rose and carnation. In the drydown, more intense notes give way to the most sweet and smoky. The fragrance achieves its balance and unfolds its magic and personality. It is an earthy fragrance, intense, feminine, feline, magnetic and bewitching. smells of distinction and class. A classic at the same level of perfumes like Chanel No. 5, without going too far. A masterpiece.

schamberae
schamberae

just got my YSL Opium gift set, the perfume surprised me. it smell like massage oil from java island.And definitely like a traditional scrub powder or elixir (lulur) from java. come to Indonesia and ask what java lulur smell like then you will say Yes. i can say I smell like a Java Empire Majapahit (1293 - around 1500) or The Adorable Empress who loves to put 1000 incenses on her boudoir wearing red and gold silk. And this perfume remain me of Shanghai (Forbidden City). it's getting stronger and stronger.

and one day i visited a tarot reader, wow, her charisma was so great, and she smelled exactly like opium. she wore a little perfume from white box before she started to read the tarot. then she kissed the tarot, and read it for me. she's so beautiful on her middle age (around 50). yes, opium is a scent of a fortune teller.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

Opium opens with frankincense, lilies, and cinnamon, mingled in myrrh and darkness. This is an Easter vigil in a bottle... at first.

Underneath the odor of sanctity lurks a bitter, faintly rank botanical note, reminiscent of milky sap. (Poppies have milky sap. Coincidence?) This bitter note makes Opium distinctive -- and a bit wicked.

Opium doesn't have as sharp an opening as Cinnabar. It's balmier, less spicy, more vanillic. Its bitterness is greener and more lasting than Cinnabar's, though.

The Eau de Toilette starts more floral and clove-y than the perfume. It's softer and cooler, less smoky.

Lauralee77
Lauralee77

I have a bottle of this with sparkles in it believe it or not. Limited edition maybe? I've had it for years. I do love this but I don't wear it very often because it's so strong. If I could have it it toned down it would be perfect. I love the smoky smoldering spiciness in this. It's sexy but a bit too heady for me personally.

Jillita
Jillita

My winter fragrance since 1980. The original formulation was best. Still, it remains a masterpiece. Evening, and in winter. Less is more. Spritz some on his pillow and see how it transforms the following day. Plus: He will forever associate it with you (for better or for worse). Opium Fleur de Shanghai exclusive is a lighter version but retains all the 'bones' of the original. A creamy-lite Opium for the warmer months. Patchouli, cinnamon, carnation, amber, musk, pepper, orange, myrrh, cardamom, frankincense, too many others to list. High Art.

Patricia40
Patricia40

This is one of what I would call the perfect scents, also part of this group is Lou Lou, Shalimar Initial and Chanel Allure. I bought a sample today and wow, I will be returning for a large bottle.

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

Opium is a seductive scent. A little goes a long way.
You feel supremely confident wearing it. In my opinion a creamier and smoother deal than Obsession, which is another strong oriental. Both nice in their own way.

takeasniff
takeasniff

I had this perfume many years ago at least 15 years ago. I was in the military and needed something that would last as I could not keep spraying perfume all day. I had the set so I could just use the shower gel or the cream without using the spray or whatever I felt like. I used it because to me at the time it was strong but not too girly. I always received compliments from both men and women and there were a lot of compliments over time as there were a lot of different people in the military from all walks of life and many of them would comment on how lovely it was, they always knew I was in the vicinity because the smell would linger. I did not drown myself with it but I guess it just had good projection. I never thought of it as a strong perfume that reminded me of the orient, it reminded me of Imperial Leather soap just a clean smell but not like shampoo!:)

Now when I smell this perfume it transports me back to those days. It also transports me to a time when I was a little kid and my mum and her friends would be singing, dancing in the 80s there were always parties or barbeques and us kids would play and fall asleep late at night right where we were playing our parents were not too molly coddling of us in those days. We could smell the ladies perfumes mix together. I couldn't wait until I was grown up and could wear it properly and wear sholder pads and big earings, red lipstick etc. Songs like 'Take these broken wings' by Mr Mister or 'Common feel the noise' by Quiet Riot or 'I just died in your arms tonight' by Cutting crew would be playing and being a grown up seemed so far away kind of something to be scared of but also wishing it would hurry up and come;)

Fast forward to now and unfortunately being a grown up sometimes isn't all that it is cracked up to be on some days and other days you are glad you are not limited by being a little kid where all you hear is "No" to everything!:) Unfortunately neither are todays interpretations of the old 80's songs and the old perfumes like this one. The current formulation has butchered this old classic. When I smell the older version of Opium it is full bodied and transforms on the skin but the current formulation just dithers away into a cheap musk.

I will say the old formulation isn't strong enough for me these days and it still doesn't smell like the orient to me. I think I have moved on but I can say smelling the old bottle brought back instant memories and I will always keep it for that purpose. The old perfumes have that ability unlike todays which are discontinued as quickly as they are released no chance to form lasting memories;(

I still believe we can go backwards and forwards arguing about reformulations and those who are hell bent on only collecting vintage perfumes will not be convinced but if you purchase the reformulation of this Opium you will smell better than a lot of the current perfumes on the market claiming to be oriental.

I have worn the current formula occasionally and I still get compliments but I think that is from todays generation who are not aware of the old one so to them it smells strong but to me it isn't and I wouldn't bother chasing it down and you cannot blame them they are smelling the chemicals used today so they can only judge by that but if you are aware of the old one the current one just cannot match it for development of the notes on your skin and lasting power.

spiced_oppulence
spiced_oppulence

I will honestly admit that I haven't smelt this physically in perhaps a year. But, if I were to close my eyes, at any moment, to conjur up its memory, I could do so confidently.
As a child, this was my mother's hugs, my grandmothers smiles and her shadows in the night. As a teenaged girl it was submerging within a bed of velvet in satin.
It carries the bouquet of my favourite, heady blooms across a shadowy oriental den orchestrated by lascivious whispers, covered in smoke.
I could spray this on a winters' night and take a walk in warmth without a jacket.
Perhaps its memory is the inspiration for all my currently favourite smells. It is the perfect balance of warmth, sweetness, spice, subdued woods and harsh smoke.
Today I find it too commonly worn which is why my bottle is shelved. One day though, when I am feeling blue, I will spray this on myself and take a happy walk alone.

monkey do
monkey do

After a long time of dismissal Opium is back in my life.
I am always searching the net for every vintage product from this line.
Classics have the right on eternity.

jacobbonilla
jacobbonilla

Im a 34 yr old male and I absolutely love this on a women! My grandmother used to wear it well, she was a well kept Gal and this fragrance fit her perfectly. To me its the smell of cleanliness. I think women 25+ can pull this off well, if easy on the trigger. I'm tempted to wear it myself:)

Koratlover
Koratlover

I have it but I can't wear it. I love oriental perfumes but this one is far too strong. I hate thinking that people might be disturbed by the perfume I wear and I can smell it myself when I put some on. It disturbs me to smell it so I can imagine that it will disturb even more the people who surround me.

DeeDee2
DeeDee2

The enormously long list of reviews here proves this scent commands attention, evokes strong feelings, and is memorable.

I was young in 1987 and wore Opium Eau de Toilette. I dressed in silk fabrics...purples, burgundies, vivid Mediterranean blues, and black with creams, or soft pink accents. My grand piano dominated my living room, and french doors opened to a balcony I kept filled with flowering vines, and potted palms. My bedroom was done in the opulent style with silks, and realistic (though not real) fur throws on my bed, floor, and covering pillows. I have favored unique bohemian jewelry, and scarves all of my life and began collecting interesting pieces in Paris in my teens. When I first tried Opium in 1987, I felt my soul was captured in scent. As a young woman, Opium apparently bonded with my chemistry to become my signature scent. I wore it with my lover and it drove him into crazy passion. Just the scent did this. The scent of Opium was all around him, he could not forget...

A scent can take you back in time instantly with the sights and emotions experienced then...surrounding you in the present. I just purchased a "vintage" bottle of Opium edt online because I assure you, the new one is not the same. I sampled the new version, and was shocked. Scents will transport me to the moment I first experienced them, yet the reformulated Opium did not take me anywhere, leaving me stunned standing on the hard tile of a department store perfume counter in disbelief.

I so hope my new purchase will be the genuine scent of Opium, the ticket I crave to take myself back in time.

titzkrieg
titzkrieg

A very naughty, noteworthy girl, a shocker and a head turner. She involuntarily ruffles feathers wherever she goes and yet, somehow, still possesses more composure and refinement than her multitude of gossipers and detractors.

I first smelled this at age 14 on the new girl in school who also became the resident vixen- not in a trashy way, but one that inspired a mixture of awe, envy and animosity in other girls. She was two years older than I and we became fast friends. There was even a bit of a girl crush between us. We've lost touch in adulthood but I never forgot her- and I've definitely never forgotten her signature scent. That scent caused something in me and I've never been the same since.

Opium is strong and shamelessly sexy. She isn't for everyone...but if she likes you, she will work her ass off for you.

Aaredhel
Aaredhel

I was 8 when my mother used to wear it and I thought it was the worse thing I ever smelled and that I would have never worn anything like that... so strong and overpowering...
Today, after 35 years I tried a sample of Opium given to me last week and... I immediately understood why Opium is Opium.
I'm seriously considering the purchase.

BlackAmberMoon

Wearing Opium is a transportive experience like no other...try the pure parfum if you can. It is the litmus test for all other perfumes. Even if you don't like it, it will take your appreciation of perfume artistry to a new level.

angelag1970
angelag1970

I could never wear it, it just did not smell good on my at all. My mother wore it...she tended to carry the heavy oriental fragrances beautifully.

Soie
Soie

I liked the fragrance but on one occasion when I had it on, a stranger asked if I was wearing Opium, and when I answered "yes", she remarked that she herself could never wear it, because it smelled too much like "baby urine". I haven't been able to bring myself to wear it since that time, even though it does not smell like urine to me.

gracenote-floralspice

I have the perfume, Eau de Parfume as well as the powder. I absolutely love the powder. It has all the seduction, but is much softer. The big round container, complete with a cotton powder puff is such a luxury. I am eeking it out. The fragrance is sublime - like walking among a forest with someone I love, breathing calmly and deeply to take in the woody forest fragrance of trees. Incense - suggestive of a kind of spiritual knowledge - simply deep and sublime!

Lidell
Lidell

Opium is my cure for all the pain and frailty, and the perfect shelter for all the dark nihilism and deathwish I must hide to succeed.

I'm a proud owner of the vintage EDP version. The luscious red bottle is to die for! This stuff is really potent, it is intriguing, and Oh my God!... so seductive. But unfortunatelly the amyl cynnamal is too powerful here and make my eyes instantly in tears and sensibilized (potential allergen). If you re not sensitive to these components, enjoy this beauty. I gave it to my mom and love the smell on her. That's the most strong, vibrant and elegant spicy floral that I ever came across! A gem!

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I got a huge bottle of this as an 18th birthday present (over 20 years ago!!) and although I didn't love it I used to wear it because I knew it was expensive and it does make you feel more grown up. It can be very overpowering though. I was at least halfway through the bottle before I worked out that spraying it in the air and walking through the mist gave a better/softer result. Either way, I wouldn't go back to it - I think this fragrance is responsible for me being a bit over oriental scents!

Momo2836
Momo2836

Couldn't be better. Just bought a bottle for old times sake, I remember it in early 90s. Elegant, womanly, not at all strong or overpowering, perfect day or night perfume. So unique and gentle, mysterious as I can't detect any individual notes. Second only to Chanel Coco, though they not at all similar.

Libran
Libran

To all the ladies who only think mature women can wear this fragrance, please don't judge before you have tried it. Your Mothers may have worn it in the 80's, I know I did but let it romance you. Modern fragrances are alright but can be so shallow and lacking in personality. This wonderful fragrance has just that, personality! in bucket loads. It is a very warm and sexy fragrance, it embodies everything we as women want, sexiness, style and bags of class and attitude! I will never be without this lovely fragrance, it reminds me of being young, free and brave! Don't judge Opium, there is nothing more surprising than seeing a well turned out young woman who then wafts past you rocking a "vintage" fragrance!

valeriapredoiu
valeriapredoiu

mom had it as a gift from my dad. as a little girl, i remember i imagined my mom to be an arabian/indian princess whenever she sprayed it on. i really loved it. I think it is exclusively for age 45 plus and only for winter. It is a masterpiece YSL signature, a once-in-a-lifetime-must-have!

Chryseis
Chryseis

I don't really like this perfume, except when my mother uses it. It smells awesome on her from the start to the end, but not on me. To me it's intensely sexy, yet too spicy and strong, even though I only apply a small amount. And I often had a headache while using this...

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

My bottle is a 2005 young vintage EDT. This fragrance is spicy, exotic, intense, powerful, captivating, enchanting, gorgeous, ......... I really don't know enough words to describe this fragrance. For a fragrance having such spectacular quality, how can I not love it forever and ever.

suzrwin
suzrwin

I remember my first boyfriend's Mom wearing this in 1979. It was so rich and exotic--she was French, and to me, this was everything a perfume should be. The reformulation is absolutely horrible and bears absolutely no semblance to the original. A sad disappointment.

BikiniBabe
BikiniBabe

This is a very strong old fashioned scent. It goes into the 45+ category for me. In some ways i find it similar to NO5. A classic, empowered woman will wear this amazingly. Its just not me =( sorry

Museumgal
Museumgal

I love this scent, but if you are looking for something along the same lines(not exactly the same of course) I found it very similar to Tabu. If you can tolerate Tabu's civet and are having trouble finding this, it may be a good alternative.

sygrid29
sygrid29

my grandmother used to have this perfume a long time ago and i can remember the string smell that i can't resist as a child. maybe i have very weird childhood since i don't find this perfume heavy and cloying together with dior poison and chanel no. 5. i am able to sniff this one again but to my surprise, it smells like avon imari classic... its so watered down and i have to put my nose to my wrist just to smell it.

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

I wanted to love this..And I understand and appreciate all the history or it and it being an iconic scent for so long..But it does not agree with my skin..I have a huge bottle of it with a huge tub of body cream..If you would like to swap..I would love it if it was used/loved by someone..FYI Mine is authentic and I'm a very careful/proper perfume collector..So my perfumes are in dark, cold storage area..They are all authentic and freshly preserved..never exposed to daylight and heat.:-) Let me know if you want them.

Merebon
Merebon

This scent can blow your head ff and people can smell you 10 miles away. Strong and an older woman scent for sure. Not for the office.

malikado
malikado

the one i have belongs to my mom bought it from paris 1979 ...till now nobody can wear it ..
very strong masculin heavy ..i dont like this type

I actually much prefer this version to the one being sold in stores now. Current formula turns acrid and screechy on my skin. This one is strong, but smoky and balmy. Somehow it actually smells more modern. Probably because I don't notice the carnation as much.

freddinos
freddinos

As I expected, major love hate relationship with this perfume. I acquired a used, vintage bottle off eBay. Sprayed once and rubbed my wrist on my neck and arms to lighten the application as much as possible. The first 10-30 minutes are a true hate for me. It smells almost like Cinnabar, I get the same wild- burning my throat-overwhelming-suffocating smell. And after that's gone, the best part of Opium begins. Mellow, old fashioned, incence like beauty, deep, rich and domesticated. The lion is at last out of the cage, hypnotized and ready to roll onto his back and cuddle. And you cannot hate the lion that lets you pet him...

Sofy888
Sofy888

At the heart of fragrance is sensual and enveloping oriental composition.

This legendary, exotic and versatile light fragrance called secret feelings, enliven vitality, generate passion, your aspirations to inspire and lift you to the heights of greatness and enjoyment.

This luxurious, sophisticated and feminine bouquet is the perfect complement to chic evening dress.

Inessa66613

No, it's not that old and original opium anymore. This is another remixed fragrance with an old good name. Even the bottle looks different.

Betweenshades
Betweenshades

One of my clients wears this! I was floored by how much it is distinctly of the 70's and 80's while not feeling dated. It's got a lovely balmy, mossiness to it that I can't get enough of. I might buy a bottle of my own, now. :D

antfarm
antfarm

Vintage EDT: Wow, this will burn your eyes and knock your socks off... and back to 1987. Huge and just way too much for me. I don't get much of anything spicy, just a lot of notes that seem "perfumey" for lack of a better description.

In elementary school I had a very elegant, strict, and well-groomed teacher in her fifties, and this is what she wore. It suited her perfectly, like it was an extension of her being. She was one of those teachers who the other kids were afraid of, but I wanted to be like her: to always expect excellence, act classy, and not be afraid to wear red lipstick during daylight hours when I grew up. I will keep this tiny bottle maybe to wear on occasions when I want to be reminded of her.

Annica

Yes the reformulation is a shadow of the glorious Opium vintage. A majority of people here seem to think that the vintage reminds them of Cinnabar, not the reformulated Opium. That speaks for itself IMO.

Heliotropea
Heliotropea

OK, here goes : the umpteenth review comparing the vintage and the reformulated edp.
I can be short : it is the same smell alright but immensely watered down and it lacks the depth and spiciness of the original. Two sprays of the vintage used to last all day. The reformulation barely lasts 2 hours. Though forewarned I had to buy it to satisfy my curiosity. Pity I did.
End of (sad) story.

Edit : if you have the reformulation, spray it on clothes, not skin. That way it lasts MUCH longer.

courtney.lirilli
courtney.lirilli

I got to sample this gem.
Wow, I have certainly smelled this before out and about.
Opium gets a bad rep because it seems that the over 50 crowd appreciates it the most, but being 21 I can honestly say I love this scent. The extravagant list of notes aside, opium is creamy and buttery. On me I get a warm apple pie cinnamon scent that slowly develops into whiffs of cola and amber with a luxurious baking of incense and myrrh. Even though this is classified oriental, this reminds me alot of the Arab perfume world. I imagine Cleopatra and other ancient royalty smelling like this.

willbear
willbear

my mother wears this i love it takes me back to being a kid the words spicy, rich, dark, come to mine with this

arose1015
arose1015

This was my great grandmother's signature scent in her later years, and it suit her pretty well. I just bought a little sample a few days ago and tested it today, and I can't say that it suits me anywhere near as well. On my skin, the top notes and middle notes smell like a decrepit church, which may be attributed to the combination of cloves and sandal wood. I almost wanted to scrub it off,but I'm kind of glad I didn't. The drydown is actually really pleasant with a seductive mix of myrrh,amber, and incense, but the top and heart notes last so long that I don't really want to buy this just so I can wait for the drydown. I really love orientals, but this isn't the perfume for me just yet. I may wear it better when I'm much older, but until then this will just be a reminder of my favorite grandparent.

Aerides
Aerides

My grandmother wore this a lot in the 80s so I'll always associate it with my childhood. She still has some left of the original version. It's very spicy and strong with a lot of incense and myrrh in the mix. It gives me a bit of a headache after a while but is still nice for the nostalgic value.

Reverie78

hey...what happens? Every one says my mom's favourite! haha

Reverie78

All time classic and my mom's favourite. Deep, mature and seductive. What can i say for this perfume.. Adorable! Very pleasant and addictive just like its name...OPIUM. It can make you travel with your mind at East. As other members said, a real legend in the history of perfumes like LouLou (cacharel) or shalimar (Guerlain) Probably i will wear it when i'll reach her age. Suitable for evening use.

metaluna
metaluna

I think Opium (I'm talking about the original Opium here) single-handedly proves that, when it comes to perfume at least, rules are for breaking and tastes for changing. I used to smell this all the time on my mother and it seemed so heavy-duty, clinging to everything and hypnotising.
These days (and several years later) I've naturally gravitated to it and almost yearned for it. I now wear Opium with affection and pride. It envelopes me with warmth and passion, it's mature but never dated, sober and daring at the same time. It represents a time of life when quality scents are rediscovered and treasured.
I'm eternally grateful to my mother for her impeccable perfume taste and fine collection. But I do believe it's a very good thing when a perfume starts to lose its various associations - both good and bad - and gets to be experienced afresh, on its own merits, and appreciated just because it's good.

Inessa66613

"Smells cheap and disgusting", it was said by my classmate 10 years ago, of coure this guy was an asshole:) Because this perfume doesn't need to be commented. Authentic
chef-d'oeuvre! Deep, heavy, intoxicating...you don't need drugs to get high. Just sense "opium", you'll immediately become addicted and die from pleasure...slowly.

Snowfairy
Snowfairy

MEN LOVE THIS...after the drydown. It's sexy and sensual and full of vanilla and spices of the orient.I can't believe how many men ask what I wear and want it for their wives. Remember to let it drydown for about 20 minutes then it turns to sensuality

kismetdaisy

So, I just went to Macy's to at least smell the new formula Opium. And no, I haven't smelled the old "good stuff" ever. But with all the good reviews, I figured the new stuff would at least resemble the old Opium to some degree and smell somewhat decent. Let me just say, it was so not what I expected! It smells kinda ok sort of... but it was VERY strong. About a half hour later after the dry down, it started to smell kinda good. The scent definitely was ever changing. But no, I wouldn't wear it... I think I like Cinnabar better, and I was thinking this had cinnamon notes, but I didn't smell cinnamon at all, nor did I smell anything sweet. I can't even describe what I smelled. I couldn't detect any of the notes that are supposed to be in this fragrance. But I have been really looking into this stuff on the internet, reading reviews, looking for old vintage cheap bottles and everything because with all the raving about this, I was sure I was going to love it. But I didn't ;( and i'm really sad about that. I was expecting something very different from what it was I guess. I guess everyone has different noses, and the notes people described it smelling like, I didn't catch any of that. I guess it's a shame. The only thing I can say I detected was jasmine and rose. I wish the lady would of let me spray it on my skin, but she had to open a new bottle so I could smell it, and simply put it on a fragrance sample paper.. I wish I would of kept that too instead of throwing it away so I could of kept smelling it to see how the scent changed and if it would of grown on me.. but I'm thinking that it never would of grown on me. i'm too much of a vanilla-y, sweet woman. That's just me, i guess. but i do appreciate spicy, woody things, like Shalimar I love! But that also has strong vanilla as well. Oh well. I'm just glad I didn't blind buy this

EDIT:: It's an hour or so after I smelled that on the fragrance paper thingy. It's strong obviously, so I am still getting whiffs of it off my nose. I am wearing Warm vanilla sugar lotion and getting whiffs of that too. I don't know if it's the two combined, or i'm actually really liking the dry down scent on my nose. But it's not really strong enough on my nose for me to really tell how much I like it.. But what I keep smelling DOES smell GREAT!! I am so surprised how before it smelled not good at all, and now it is smelling better and better! I have to test it out ONE more time I think, actually spray it on myself just a tinnnyyy spritz, and wait an hour or so to get the good dry down. I desperately want to like this and get that "WOW" factor everyone is getting!! actually, i dont know why i even care so much lol

Woops, I meant to say I love sweet orientals too**

KATHIRTEEN
KATHIRTEEN

I used to wear this perfume every day for years, then my finances would not allow me to splurge on it anymore. However, I saw a 3.3 oz bottle at CVS for only $60.00, so I bought it. I like it, but it doesn't smell as I remember it, which was a definitely "love it" rather than "like it."
I can't put my finger on why it doesn't smell as I remember it. Maybe it always smelled the same and my senses interpret it differently now? Is that possible?
It does smell more citrusy and sweet than I remember. It seems like it was more woodsy, spicey and incensey before.

Shtefitza

Today I sprayed Opium on my wrists, from a sample I got the other day in San Francisco... What a "Madelaine moment"!!! ... it took me right to the Christmas eve some 25 years ago when I got my first Opium by YSL... opulence, intensity, complexity... it was amazing to me such impressions could be coming from a bottle. Today the fragrance evoked the warmth of my parents home, Christmas spices, my femininity that I started discovering, mistique of this exotic perfume... Lovely!! :)

aber19
aber19

This is one of the best quality perfumes. Please do not buy the new version because they killed it. I does not last as long, the quality fragrance has been compromised. Do not be seduced by the wonderful marketing bottle unless you want a weaker fragrance that is different. Be aware before you purchase it, you need to try this one first. I think they wanted to have a newer and younger audience,but it was not for me.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I am 33 and I love Opium EdT. I don't know if I can pull it off or not and honestly, I don't care.

Also the kids at work call me a cougar. Roaarrrr. But they're all like 20 year old. It's relative!

(sorry this is not a very informative review!)

marie.roy.au
marie.roy.au

Very interesting comments. I have worn it for years on and off.From what I have heard and my own observances you can either wear it or you can't - no middle ground. Seemingly I am one of those that can. And I'm not a cougar, for the record lol

a.odessa
a.odessa

Wow. Smells like my mom, but now I know that she is a fox. I'm looking for the modern day version. ideas?

BillyC28
BillyC28

When I was growing up and went over to my best friends' house my friend's mom and aunt would spray this and I remember being so intrigued and intoxicated by it. Opium was really the gateway (drug, lol) to my perfume/fragrance obsessions. I always wanted to wear the original Opium but thought it might be too femme to pull. But luckily disovered Opium Pour Homme and fell for that one too.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I cannot add anything useful to these reviews, but have only recently had the opportunity to try this (thanks Yamba1) and can see why it is a classic. One drop goes a helluva long way. It's a bit dated. I know I have smelled this on many women, but I would be very unlikely to wear this myself on a regular basis as it is very strong. For those who love it, I hope you use it sparingly!

sumrdream
sumrdream

I wore this in the 80's, definitely a strong spicy scent not for the faint at heart! Smells like cinnamon and cinnabar.....

annette kisha
annette kisha

it knocked me of my feet when i smelled it first back whenever it came out. a was a little kid then and wondered how it must be in the grown up world smelling like this.... it still does when i smell it today.unfortunately i cant wear it, it gives me headaches like too much alcohol ... but it always remains me dreaming.....

amoregal
amoregal

I tried this perfume way back when it first came out. At that time, I thought it was a little toheavy for me, but I was much younger then, and the peoplethat wore it would just spray on way too much. In the subsequent years I found myself attracted to the likes of Organza Indecence, Dolce Vita, Casmir, and the like.

I was chatting with a sales person at a dept. store and I told her that I loved floral orientals and used to like the spicy orientals, but they were too strong when I.i would first apply. She told me that if you have a rather heavy perfume, just spray it on the back of your neck. That wy others can spell it, but you won't get the initial whoosh in your face.

When I was at my sister's, I noticed that she had a bottle and said her husband bought it, but she wasn't crazy about it. So I tried it on the back of my neck, and I liked it. I could smell the drydown on my pillow the next morning and kept sniffing it. I will have to try it again.

antiron
antiron

ladies, i began buying my wife opium in my early 30s, i had tried other scents but whatever her body chemistry you could never smell anything beyond ten minutes. i remembered years back smelling opium in a magazine and thought it was heaven. on my wife it was definately heaven. its hard for me to believe so many of you feel like its a scent for your mom??? or your elderly aunt. really? there is something sexual about this smell, all i know is if there is a women wearing this scent i will find her, and thats ok cause i am no longer married :) i wear opium for men and get a lot of compliments, no one i know wears it. i have yet to smell this new version i cant understand why you change perfection but i will have to go and smell a tester and if i dont like it i will glady by a big bottle of the old version on ebay for the next love in my life.

Jacster
Jacster

This was *sooo* popular in the late 1970s - you could smell it on the street, so many women wore it - but I just couldn't bear it.

But perhaps I was just too young way back then.

I now have a vintage bottle of the pure parfum, still sealed in its box when it came to me.

Wow!

I *love* it!

I'm wearing it right now, and it's sensational. Although it's a very hot day today in Sydney, I'm not finding it at all overpowering or headache-inducing. It reminds me so much of the old Youth Dew (why on earth did that never occur to me?), but far more subtle and intriguing. It never ceases to amaze me how complex and wonderful the old versions are.

I've always thought of myself as a 'green' and 'floral' gal. Maybe the passing of the years has given me another facet to my personality.

Parfumista2010

@Geekgoddess : Is the new Opium worth a try ? Hmm...well...uhmmm....sort of. And sort of not.
Depends on how much you love this kind of smokey scent. I loved, like you, the old version of Opium and I will never forget it. Now I also have and wear the new Opium. It´s OK, it reminds me of the old times but never fully brings them back. Some hate the new version, some like it and some, like me, have made their peace with the new times and new tastes.
Opium will always be a part of me and as long as there is a smokey fruity woody vibe to the juice I will probably continue to wear it.

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

I loved the original formula, but I was too self-conscious too wear it. Now that I've (mostly) gotten over caring what people think, it's been reformulated. As if I need more proof that I'm an idiot.

I haven't gotten around to trying the new version. Is it even worth it?

agakielich
agakielich

It does remind me of my mum. She's been using them for the past 27 years, day and night, from summer to winter, every single day. I was so yealous of other kids who could borrow (read: steal) mums parfiums. Well... imagine 11 year old smelling of OPIUM! ;/ I will always love them for the sentimental reasons :) and I would recommend them for a strong, inteligent, independent woman that is warm and compassionate in the same time - as my mum is.

Miss Reem 72
Miss Reem 72

Reminds me of my mum . She used to wear it when I was a child .

Allinug
Allinug

Oh no it doesn't work for me now either. I love the top notes but then the cocacola smell arrives and I don't like it.

redshoes
redshoes

I have been wearing this fragrance for about 15 years....and still get the same compliments on how this fragrance is just for me.....

lindsayyasdnil
lindsayyasdnil

Exceptional. Extraordinary. Esoteric. Opium is my Opiate. Spray liberally everywhere...evoke the mystery...still useful as a filthy aphrodisiac!

Irisfvh
Irisfvh

way too dark for me!

cronai
cronai

I love orientals. I adore spicy, wooden smells. But I also appreciate finesse and, when I put a perfume on, I don't like the idea of having been run over by a truck.

Worse still, I hate to be smothered by someone else's fragrance, which is what invariably happens when I stand close (OK, not so close) to someone who has put this on.

Yeah, you get it: Opium is one of my UNfavorites of all time!

red347
red347

Thanks to all the reviews I just scored a vintage EDT and moisturizer in a red silk case CHEAP! This was a blind buy, I got home, sprayed once and am now in complete amazment as to how good this smells!!! NEW FAVORITE!

Update: so here it is, the next morning, I can't believe it but this stuff just keeps smelling better and better! My wife and I both love Opium!

boruvka44

Opium is such cheerful and energizing sunny smell! Good mood in a bottle ♥

9-na
9-na

Vintage drops, like all things wonderful, got stuck in history and stayed there, everlasting and magical. They're over, they're gone. A bewitching scent. Bitter herbs, powerful flowers and heat of the heart or of some very-very different organs... I did like myself that way, and I wasn't the only one doing the liking. And my hands remember my tiny fingers touching my Mummy's bottle of Opium, delighted. And oh, my Mummy was so great in Opium! Red hair, curls, youth, fiery temper, and that green dress, and power, and wisdom, and tenderness... She seemed to be a real witch of the forest to me, wild and wonderful, with a promise of becoming tame, not losing beauty in the process. I adored her when she was like that.

dkny27
dkny27

Landed a vintage bottle and coudln't resist the "nostalgia in a bottle". Anyone familiar with the vintage scent will associate this with a time frame from decades past... A classic indeed but not for everyone and not for many young wearers, probably because of the era it reminds smellers of.
A mature spicy cinnamon that mellows into warm spicy flowers..... Iconic.

ninaboo

Ok I am being magnanimous here.
If anyone lives in London, the Warman- Freed Pharmacy in Golders Green has loads of vintage opium EDT on sale.
Get it while you can ladies.

mellani bajumi
mellani bajumi

classic and vintage perfume....for me this frag so old fashioned,i think not for me...:(

ninaboo

How can I even begin to describe this masterpiece. Aside from the fact it is so iconic it holds tremendous nostalgic value for me. My late mother who died when I was 15 always wore this perfume on nights out teamed with her 22K gold pearl earrings and her finest shoes. Smelling this brings memories of her Guerlain lipstick, Bally shoes and prim chignon.

For me this is an embrace in a bottle.
A friendly hand that reaches out to tell me everything is going to be ok.
Dear God I wish they had never tampered with this formula *sobs*.
I know she would be turning in her grave to discover they have reformulated her signature scent !

lmktacwa
lmktacwa

Alas, I can not get past the soapiness. I'll stick w/ my favorite classic Oriental Spicy: Obession. Sure smells great on other people though.

Manjica
Manjica

I've been a fan of Opium for many years, ever since I was a little girl, and was appaled when the EDT & EDP were changed. I have a question: Is the perfume sold on the YSL site still the original formula? Thank you in advance :)

girlsworld
girlsworld

Wow I first wore this aged 15 back in the 1980's (this was the era of the shoulder pads and power fragrances) I still love the fragrance but only wear the body cream during the winter which is enough for me. This is one of those fragrance masterpieces from Mr Saint Laurent. Totally intoxicating and addictive, sensual spices, voluptuous exotic flowers leaving a mysterious trail...I think I will have to buy a body cream now as I need a fix !

Frances321
Frances321

This is the fragrance I loved more than any and no other fragrance has captivated me so. It was my signature scent for at least a decade and even though I now find it to be way too overpowering, I will still wear it occasionally on a very cold winter day because it makes me feel warm and cozy.
I wish they would make a much lighter version.

suhaesa
suhaesa

i find it strange when some people say they don't ware a perfume because it s out dated or not fashionable!.. i mean scents are simply a reflection of how you feel at that day ,its a personal taste,.so if your taste changes, then fine ,but i wouldn't ware a perfume just coz its hip, or in, no matter what.. if it doesn't appeal to me, i will never ware it ..
any way back to ysl opium its an amazing all time classic.. a perfumers perfume.. an amazing master piece.. that every perfume lover must have as part of perfume historical perfumes..
its an oriental ,spicy , dry,beautiful fragrance ..yes it takes a confident strong woman who is not afraid of being different, its one of my favourite maybe among the best ten perfumes i love .
it will stand the test of time .. people love it from the east to the west its loved by both sexes ,and is definitely a perfumers perfume ,made with love and pride..its true, pure ,and sexy..it has an addictive quality to it ,once you get hooked ,you can never go back so be ware!

rating 4.9 out 5

Abendlicht
Abendlicht

I can respect the perfume, but for me it's a headache. It's overpowering, obnoxious and... Well... All over! It kills all other perfumes around. One of my aunt has been wearing it since the 80's, even if she knows that 50% of people around her feel sick, she has the personality to go with it... A bit of "I'm here! So now let's talk about me!... " :0/ I can appreciate oriental woody balmy perfumes, just not that one!

Shtefitza

I wore it decades ago. I stopped wearing it not because I stopped liking it, but because that type of a intensly oriental fragrance was out of fashion through the nineties and early 2000s. Now I am glad to see it back "en vogue" and on the shelves... Maybe I'll buy it again... :)

James Lewis
James Lewis

I really like this perfume.It is an elegant perfume that makes me think of an elegant woman when I smell it.

NeoJezebel
NeoJezebel

This is my mother's go-to scent, but it knocks me out despite being a fan of orientals. Maybe I'll have to come back to it at a later stage...

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent is a solid brick of molten, earthy spices and she is a woman who has the power to even tempt male Gods by her namesake.

Opium is one big slab of dirty, punchy solid resins, amber, flowers, spices and vanilla. The opening of Opium is nothing like any of the other two powerhouse fragrances of 80's: Poison by Christian Dior and Coco by Chanel. Poison smells like resinous, balmy grape bubblegum and Coco smells like sweet nectarine flowers with a certain amount of waxy bitterness.

Opium, however smells extremely different. She is something we've smelled before but still strangely unfamiliar. Her smell of resinous and spicy balsam laid over a bunch of sensuous flowers is what makes famous. Opium WILL definitely remind you of a church.

Opium is not a perfume. At least, not for me. This is because she attracts you like a child would be to cotton candy, and then gives you a tight slap for dreaming too much. She is a bold lady who must not be underestimated.

The only problem I have with Opium is that she easily screams. "Here I am, the beast, the woman undertaker, I am Opium!" is what Opium screams like. Loud, sensual and also slightly extra-powerful, Opium must not be taken easily. And I must not as well. "Beware" she screams to those young shenanigans.

judyk
judyk

My first try of vintage Opium:

At first it seemed too honey-sweet and the cinnamon was overpowering, but now that it's settled in a bit it's developed a sharper edge, tempering the sweetness, and the other spices are making their presence known. Ah, and here come the flowers... It's blossoming into a much more interesting perfume as I type!

I do love complex scents. :-) When I look at the stripped down notes for the reformulated (2009) Opium I could cry.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I never did like Opium. I remember sniffing at the stores and flinching at the intensity. But reviews here had me intriqued so I was thrilled to get a wee sample with another purchase. Oh my, I love this stuff! I am obsessed with it. It smells so goood. Some scents just have to be worn to be appreciated.

Merlinrumpel
Merlinrumpel

Its an oriental perfume, kinda sweet and woody, classic, elegant & strong. Defenitly for women with strong personalities. A must have perfume.

picklevalentine

This was my favorite perfume. I was able to bring it back from France before it was sold in the USA. But they have changed the formulation and that is a terrible thing. I am now looking for vintage and hoping to find out how to get more.

Batey2008
Batey2008

As the parfume pyramid above suggests, they threw all kinds of scents in a bottle and what they got was something that resembles at pee. Either you love it or hate it! I hate it!

shreyashi
shreyashi

Opium was and still is a breath-taking classic. This is no tame vanilla cinnamon beauty. It is a ravishing sultry seductive siren. It is a big perfume. Huge projection, huge sillage and to a certain extent you probably need the confidence to carry it on.
However I tend to gravitate towards it the days I am especially low or feeling dour. It is a hefty reminder that bigger and better things are always out there.

fishmerised

... btw, lovers of Opium might want to explore DSH's new YSL collection.

fishmerised

Further to my review I would agree that the new formulation is not a patch on the original. I was gifted a bottle of EDC and was so disappointed I gave it away. I now wear a smell-alike formulation that costs more than YSL's EDC but it's an oil based EDP and one spray will knock your socks off!

fishmerised

Reading frusia's review reminded me of the packaging - it was so alluring, forbidden and exotic - like the fragrance. Opium captured my heart in the 80's, a promise of mystery, seduction and hot arabian nights.

I still wear it as a special treat when I'm feeling decadent but only in the warmer months that caress the lower, richer tones to avoid those "screeching hairspray notes" so aptly described by lovingthealien.

smellME
smellME

First of all I have to tell you I am reviewing not the edP, nor the edT but a perfumed deodorant, wich on me turned out lovely ! It was tucked away with some half through oldies I got some years ago from a collegue, never been used by me, cause Opium always been a little scary and tabu to me . Maybe because this one was used by friends of my moms, in the early eighties and was not for me - I thought....
Now I am all grown up..... : )
beeing a mom myself, I guess I fit to the category....

This deodorant is a bit watered down version and perfect for me as I love light orientals. As this isn´t listed I'm not sure if the notes are the same, but I smell nice like freshly baked cinnamon buns, powdery to a dream ! I sense the incense there somewhere, so this is a nice feelgood cosy way of wearing Opium, if you can get a hold of it - do !!! This could be a really nice signature for winter or smelling yummy for my man on a hot summernight !
No more tabu´s !

Kittycat63

Just noticed that all the even slightly negative reviews for this stinky perfume have no balloons, yet the positive, gushing reviews for it have mainly full clusters of balloons. Interesting! That makes me laugh! Clearly, Opium massively divides people and is, as yet, the most love / hate perfume I've ever come across. Personally, I fall into the latter category and absolutely detest it - which, no doubt, means this will get no balloons. Hee, hee! :-)

For me Opium is an enchanting combination of an oriental fairy tale and French elegance!

Dark and mysterious fragrance where the most noticeable notes are the mandarin, carnation, myrrh, sandalwood and amber notes.

Deep, warm, smoky, spicy, woody, complex... It's like an oriental oil, only with French chic. Noble, without the annoying sweetness.

Classy and gorgeous fragrance!

I adore it!!!

Симба
Симба

New Opium made politkorrekt, and now it is still pretty similar, but very versatile. No previous scandal, fervor, call the society on the verge of vulgarity or even vulgarity, in order, for which I adore this fiery clove, that created a furor in the perfume and bohemian environment, and sunk even to the people who are worried about a piece of bread, and not spectacles ...
For me, the new Opium- fotoshop beautiful erotic picture, which you can admire, marvel at the beauty of bodies, most aspire to such a perfection ...
But like the old for the effect of black and white photographic porn cards, when a child one of the yard guys invited to play the "fool" and took out a deck. Pretend that you're already "vzroslyak" and you do not care what cards to play, trying not to look at the pictures, but in fact it is impossible to keep excitement and the tension just in the air ...
Or as a homosexual scenes in videos Pet Shop Boys-like and do not like this, but the sight of men kissing wildly exciting, and it's tempting to peek again ...
Here's an old Opium for me, with burning cloves, from which the language of nips and lips become red and moist, like a kiss.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

I used to use this perfume when I was in my early 20s. I used to love it. When I was in my mid 20s this perfume just didn't smell the same on my skin.

While I still like Opium, I don't like it on my skin anymore. If Opium works with your skin chemistry it smells lovely. I wish it still worked with mine!

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Opium is a classic oriental perfume with the saturation turned up as far as it can possibly go. It is in excess of excessive. Trailer park Madame and tracheotomy associations aside, it's definitely a unique fragrance worth considering. It basically took the Youth Dew/Cinnabar formula, added some sweetness and more incense, and removed that odd olive salad accord that plagues the others, making it more wearable. Somehow this smokey, woody, cloying thing managed to become hugely popular and is still a best seller. The vintage parfum is definitely the most wonderful version. "Classy" is not a word many would associate with Opium, but it fits with the parfum. The florals are not only present, but rich. The screeching hairspray accord of the lower concentrations becomes a very warm amber. The projection is limited in comparison, but that's a good thing. What's left is a sweet, balmy incense over gorgeous florals. The modern EDP is actually fairly good up close, but its sillage is extremely loud at the cost of being rather unbalanced. The vintage EDT is spicier and a bit transparent, which isn't necessarily a good thing with opium. If you're doing incensed bathed 60s sexpot perfume, it had better be thick enough to cut with a knife. Lastly, the modern EDT is a vile interpretation of aquanet that no one should wear but so many people do anyway.

akheperure
akheperure

To me, it's probably the best perfume I've ever smelled, voluptuous, enchanting, bewitching... :))
I have an old vintage bottle which I bought some 30 years ago, but I think the smell has somewhat changed.
Still, I like to put a tiny bit on my wrists from time to time to enjoy this gorgeous fragrance all by myself (not in public, as so many people seem to dislike it - specially here in Japan where I live and where people barely wear any colognes or perfumes).

samloves
samloves

whether u love it or hate it, it is the most sensual perfume on the market. It makes Jean Paul gaultier Classique smell like baby shampoo!

akarmi
akarmi

One of the fragrances of my mother-in-law candidate.:)
She smokes and has a deep voice, is creole-skinned.
It suits her.

iokasti
iokasti

This is my mothers perfume.She is wearing it a lot of years.Even though it's a strong smell and i don't like it on me i love it on my mother.Brings back my childhood memories.

madameka
madameka

the real opium doesn't exist any more....

darrshanjvoraa

now to begin with this opium is a true oriental fragrance , it has become a cult classic no doubt. today bought the edp version of it and i was blown by it, its less harsh than regular edt were as it is very smooth with all its qualities intact , the longevity is awesome of edp. in one word amazing edp. so all those who havent tried edp pls try.

joyjoyjoy
joyjoyjoy

haven't been wearing it more than 3 years. when i wear it again today, i feel old. it reminds me of old book shops, old kitchens, old streets and old woman in brussels's theater (she sprayed 10 sprays on that day, OMG). not any pleasant feelings anyway.
i'm not sure why i bought it. but i'm sure it will has another 3-year sleep.

Fonna
Fonna

Funny thing.
I recieved a bottle of Opium for the Holidays. Not my favorite at all. Always seemed too srong, almost Obnoxious as that other scent that came out approximately the same time,......... but I was willing to give it another shot.
Sprayed it on in the bathroom, a half spritz, of course,..... walked around, then re-entered the bathroom after 20 minutes and what do you know...
Boom. Youth Dew!
Now I know why I never cared for it.
Then for some reason turned into Old Spice.(?)

Not a fan.

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

I don't know if it's because my mom used to wear this in the 80's or what, but I just don't like this. It reminds me of the 80's! It's VERY strong and too overwhelming to me. My husband thinks scents like this smell like "old ladies" (no offense to anyone) and I guess I can kinda see that. I can picture my grandma wearing this, or maybe Chanel No 5. Not a fan.

ALaM
ALaM

This (both the reformulation and original) sure was a refreshingly unique, distinctive fragrance to me after smelling fruity-floral after fruity-floral (many I can be vaguely fond of or even like, and some are actually original and distinctive - but rarely enough to dish money out for) to the point of numbed scent-reception, nausea and frustration. I'm sure the reformulation may be a bastardization of the original but among the fragrances that major dept stores (at least in the U.S.) are buffet-feeding us...it's still a classic, original, interesting, beautiful fragrance with character, strength, sillage, original composition - things people have become deathly afraid of, it seems. I don't detect any one note but rather...a bunch of notes come together to create a new scent all together. Stop complaining about the reformulation or I'll hand you the Ed Hardy and Juicy Couture and you can hand me the "ruined" Opium and I'll happily be on my way.

Note: I've smelled the two side by side...yes, they're different. The new one is, as expected, less "potent". I still stand by what I said - put the reformulated version up against - say - Wonderstruck, Viva La Juicy, or Chance and try to say it's a disaster with a straight face. Depleted resources are a major reason for a lot of reformulations. Not a whole lot we can do about that, can we? Enjoy a gem when it's sitting right in front of you, not when you're looking back on it after it has kicked the bucket, so to speak.

eruetim
eruetim

A mature oriental fragrance exotic and sensual - in love!

glorious1
glorious1

Ground breaking scent! Unmistakable and devastatingly beautiful. The ORIENTAL of orientals. Try to get the vintage edt or the parfum. Nothing comes close. I can never be without it! When I wear it, it is like coming HOME!

R_a_i_n_b_o_w
R_a_i_n_b_o_w

It's a very exotic and warm scent. The mix of cinnamon and carnation with something else gives me a feeling of mysterious coca cola:) One of the best in oriental spicy.

lukkyme
lukkyme

how can we make our voice's LOUD enough 2 say . . . PLEASE STOP ruining the original formula's of classic's . . . . it doesnt bother me that they are putting out all these flanker's at all im sure there is a market for them BUT what about the ORIGINALS the classic's even if i was buying a flanker i would want 2 smell the original as a point of refference . . . although i 90%of the time would want the original also if they have not discontinued them they have took it upon themselves 2 re-formulate them with out even leting you know when you go hand over your money for a product i believe you have the right 2 know when its in the same box etc . . .that the company has changed the product & they have ALL done this 2 there original's esetee lauder- channel- christian dior-D&G--Y.S.L . . . . to me this is equivelant 2 going thru a beautiful lil historic town & bulldozing all the victorian & art decco home's down with all there charm & mature tree's & garden's & buliding cheaply made suburban track home's & bulldozing the cafe & boutique to throw down a strip mall & a starbuck's :( . . . . . it destroying HISTORY

garamascara
garamascara

I was blessed to be teen in the 80’s; I believe it was the best time in history to have come of age. There are many perfumes that bring back fond memories of boys wearing eyeliner, clove cigarettes and new wave music. Opium however, for me, symbolizes all of the worst of the 80’s: cocaine, my parents divorce, my mom going to singles bars, Hall & Oates and Miami Vice attire… sends shivers and inspires me to write bad poetry about the meaningless of life. Help the Opium is sinking me into depression, too bad I just spritzed generously at the mall on my lunch hour, now I have to finish out my work day in the malaise of the 80’s. I feel the weight of the invisible shoulder pads.

frusia
frusia

One day, tired of trying and smelling too many scents in the perfumery, I bought this one because of the box - these warm reddish brown and golden colours attracted me. And it became my signature fragrance for years. I can't judge it - this perfume WAS ME, I felt so natural with this fragrance around me. Then after a few years I wanted to find something new and stopped using Opium. Tried it again some time ago and it smelled different - or was it me that was a different person? Anyway, looks like my Opium romance is over. But I haven't found another signature yet.

ANSD

In spite of loving the old version, I have to say that i rather prefer the new reformulation. It lasts longer than the old perfume, it is smokier and it has an expressive touch of carnation, that gives it a mesmerizing power.I love to wear it in special moments, and I always receive lots of compliments. Kudos to the new opium!!!

darrshanjvoraa

now tis is a real oriental spicy classic party wear scent, it has a huge projection with a good longevity, for nights and specially for winters, great a cult classic which can be worn in modern times.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

I have loved this perfume for a long long time, I started using it when my dad brought for me while he was on business trip.
It is still as gorgeous as ever to me.

Linofrina
Linofrina

Classic and rich... never be out of date.

AzraElle
AzraElle

got YSL Opium as a gift, tried it on and got an horrible rash, wasn't fond of the smell so it went in the trash

missan

Vintage opium = paradise lost. Suits men perfectly.

pefrumeaddict101
pefrumeaddict101

Stunning gorgeous heavy scent, get noticed wearing this, sexy perfume. Not "old lady" at all. Open your mind and love the Opium!! Men LOVE it!

One of the most wonderful oriental perfumes of all time, Opium is as intoxicating as the resin secreted by the narcotic poppy for which it is named. This vintage formulation is a true work of art, to me, as it is true to its name. Exotic smelling, heady and it does cause an almost euphoric response when it graces my skin and enters my nostrils. Containing more top notes than many modern perfumes have in their whole composition, this is a very complex fragrance that has a core of warm resins, but contains soooo much more...

I was graced with a generous decant of the vintage EDT from the wonderful Wardrobe Mistress, and had been saving it for a special occasion (already having Opium PH, Belle d'Opium and a small modern one). On a cold and gray day in late December decided I needed warmed and cheered by a REAL perfume from "back in the day". Opium EDT fit the bill perfectly. This vintage EDT is much more powerful than any modern EDP! Immediately I was met with a resiny oriental cloud from only two small sprays. Cloves, coriander and bay with an undercurrent of fruitiness and sharp citruses swirled about me, with hints of sexy flowers and a rather "naughty" pepper. I floated on a cloud of simply indescribable perfumed power. As the heart notes appeared, the top notes did not fade so much as merge into them. A heady bouquet of "old school" flowers (like rose, lily of the valley, geranium and iris) combined with patchouli, sandalwood and sweet cinnamon was still drizzled lightly with a peachy nectar. At this point, it dawned on me (yet again) that most "vintage" women's perfumes have way more OOMPH! than most men's do today. Bloody gorgeous!! The dry down is almost like a trip to the Orient (or at least the Middle East) as thirteen basenotes become something dark, smoky and (even more) resinous; yet remain creamy and like liquid gold on my skin. *sighs* What is in OPIUM? What isn't?? Oh yeah...no caloney aquatic wateriness, no nauseating frilly fruity-floral bubble gum accord and no pretense. She is serious perfume, and if you do not like the likes of EL Cinnabar or YR Nature Millenaire; I would advise you to give this one a wide berth and avoid it at all costs.

Sillage: amazing
Longevity: unbelievable
Overall: 4.75/5

This is considered "out of style" by many modern women. It is too powerful and (yes) very masculine; but remember, it came out in an era where women burned their bras and marched for equality with men. The era of patchouli dripping hippies and sandalwood burning stoners had just began to taper off, and the era of Disco was just beginning to dawn. Opium is not only a gorgeous perfume (in and of itself) it is an olfactive snapshot of a time in history. You may not like her, but please: respect her!

lemonfreshjoy
lemonfreshjoy

I put this on when I was 17 and someone told me I smelled like potpourri. Perhaps it was my body chemistry.

innerkim
innerkim

This is my favorite! the smell is sweet and classic. but it's not the daily scent though. i would love to have another bottle of it :)

drummagick
drummagick

My 24 year old daughter made off with my 2005 EDT spray when she moved to Portland, and I had a craving to wear it again, so I went to get some at Macy's and used a bit from the tester first and it didn't even smell like Opium! Another gorgeous perfume bites the dust.

I won a bid for a 10 year old, unopened spray EDT on Ebay yesterday. Hopefully it's still in good condition, though anything would be better than the reformulation I smelled at Macy's.

eta: The vintage bottle was still in excellent condition! This is a perfume that I wear for myself, at home. It's not really who I am in public anymore, but it's who I am at home on certain nights.

eta 2: I have just discovered that new Opium layered with vintage is not bad at all. My vintage was all about the incense, and the new adds a bit of nice top/middle to it.

eta 3: I just had a memory. When my kids were little in the mid-late 80s, and Opium was still GOOD and you didn't have to save it for a special occasion because you couldn't get the good stuff anymore, my kids would occasionally ask me to spritz their stuffed animals with Opium because they loved the scent and it reminded them of mom and I would.

sigh

passionata20
passionata20

My review is for vintage EDT, not the one pictured above but in a glass bottle engraved with leaves and a lid with a golden top. Stunningly beautiful
Once upon a time "Opium" was created.... Then after a long time it was ruined....
I have no memories attached to this scent (i was born several years later than it was released), so my review is purely my opinion without any strings attached.
I have smelled "Opium" qute many times and back then in 90´s i was just a teenager and was interested in absolutly different kind of perfumes, so i wasn´t excited about it. All i knew it was some heavy stuff, extremly popular many years ago that i didn´t like. Then came the first reformulation in a bottle like in the avatar. Still wasn´t interested and didn´t try it. Then came out the newest edition of "Opium" in square bottle and by that time i began to understand more of a value of perfume. When i tried it it was horrible. Even though i didn´t like original one back then i knew this new one is total disaster and it´s not the same. So i was longing to try the original edition, but was scared that it would be something totally unwearable. So when i got a chance to buy a vintage full boxed and sealed bottle of EDT for a ridiculous price i never thought twice. And i´m glad i did! Well, today i am wearing it finally...
What. A. Masterpiece. This. Is!!!! Words fail me....
This is nothing that i was expecting, it is totally wearable and fully ebjoyable one of THE best oriental scents of all time. Full of spices, incence, carnation, labdanum!!! So many notes listed here but i can mostly smell those i have named. Of course it developes and more notes appear later (plum - totally yummy here for example). This is quite strong fragrance, i agree, but totally classy and absolutly worth it´s cult status. But i am talking about the original formula only. I have now also tried the previous formula, the one that pictured above as avatar and it is not the same. It has lost it´s depth, it´s inrigue, it´s power. It totally lacks something very important from it´s ingrediens. So sad!!! The one that i am reviewing has the power, has (sex)appeal, has mystery....
You really have to use it with caution, since it is really strong even for EDT, i wonder how the pure parfum smells then like.
I will be definitly wearing this every autumn and winter, not every day, but time after time. It gives me power above all others when i am wearing it. Many might not understand it nowdays but i don´t care at all. Fantastic projection, great lasting power. WARNING! FOR ADULT USE ONLY! Not for fainthearted and teenagers of nowdays!!!
If you can then DO NOT judge this fragrance based on reformulations, they are totally unremarkable after you got the chance to smell the original. I will never ever want to touch those again, only the real stuff, the real power! And who would´ve thought i would like it since i am more into sweet heavy stuff??? Life is full of surprises.

eilismaireg

Saw an increasingly rare bottle of this baby and just had to have it! The reformulated version just isn't a patch on this gorgeous, smoking hot spicey and powdery number, which acts like a time machine for me back to my 70's childhood, when my mum had a bottle of this always. I will be using this very sparingly as I really don't think this has a true rival.

boruvka44

Even though i was born the same year as Opium, I just got/sniffed it the first time in my life. The original EDT version.
My beloved carnation, unburned sandalwood incense, waxy myrhh, trace amounts of cloves and cinnamon, and light soap note that makes it smell clean. It is warm, dry and natural. I LOVE it

Adrien02
Adrien02

A perfectly done oriental that is quite the hard act to follow. An '80's classy bombshell that is still wowing it's aundiences now and hopefully well into the future. To have so many ingredients/notes but remain perfectly in balance is a glorious wonder.
I would say this is definitely a fall/winter fragrance but can also be used in the summer if used lightly. I recommend if you can find it the body veil (lotion) is a perfect companion to the perfume and could be used alone if you wish. It has great staying power but I think it smell a little different on me than when I wore it in the '80s, although I feel it still works with my chemistry.
I don't bathe in it as it can be overwhelming to others but it is nice when layered with the body veil. Thank goodness it can still be found in abundance unlike other classics of that time.

calyx93

I'll have to reiterate what A. Rose123 just wrote a couple of reviews prior - this is absolutely different on a man's skin - and any man who's a real perfume/fragrance lover really needs to try on their skin at least once. The version above (not the newest reformulation junk now available) is perfect. Seriously - it's that good.

As much as the Pour Homme versions (EDP is appreciably better than the EDT) seems like the logical choice, DO try the original (women's) release. It's headier, spicier and muskier than you might imagine. Many women I've met have NO idea that I'm wearing a fragrance marketed to women. AND they find it very sexy - keep that in mind too ;)

nikkic78
nikkic78

This is one of the fragrances advertised in O magazine for December 2011 with the new Emily Blunt advertisement. Sure enough I lifted the flap and rubbed my wrist back and forth against it to pick up the scent. I love this stuff!
Prior to this, my first experience with Opium was on the associate at the perfume counter one day. She was blond with smokey eyeshadow and a bohemian style dress and she pulled it off like nobody's business. She said men loved it and I believe they do on her. I asked for a sample and she gave me a sample of the EDT. Since then I have occasionally worn this fragrance trying to recreate the smoldering creative persona that was the sales associate that I can see in myself sometimes needing permission to be. Opium is the cool girl...not the popular one. But for now Opium is reminding me that I'm not quite as cool as required to hang out with her.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Narcotic, languid; a dizzying, steady hum of incense, plummy richness, heat and spices galore, evoking the image of ancient, Egyptian temples and pre-Art Deco Egyptianiana Kitsch; polished ebony, alabaster and gold, sweeping in scale and clean in design. The woods are deep, resinous, dry and astringent. The florals are minimalist and engulfed in sweet, foggy smoke and garnished in candied orange peel. "Opium" is a dichotomy of unapologetic trashiness vs. a romantically idealized version of "High Brow" sophistication. It's magnificant.

And that's just it being worn on womens' skin. On male skin, heady and musky, it's something on another level, entirely: It's transcendant. Intoxicating. The clove comes forward and mixes with skinmusk and sears into the brain, the incense becomes activated and sweeter, swirling around in a heady haze, disorienting any helpless objects of affection (or potential objects of affection) into submission. In short, it evokes the sensation of unbridled, uninhibited...

...lust. "Opium" is one very, sexy beast. And I've already said enough. Just try it. But consider yourselves sufficiently forewarned ;)...

karaaslang
karaaslang

opium is the mother queen of all the sexy, alluring, daring scents. this particular one, makes you to stray and sin. this is like all the way to foreign territories and beyond.

I wore this in the 80's and didn't truly appreciate it at the time. After using it up, I moved on. I happened upon a pre-reformulation bottle recently and simply had to buy it, for nostalgia's sake. One whiff and - oh my! I am SO happy I found it. This is a scent you never forget. Opium is spicy to say the least, but also daring, alluring, provocative, assertive, powerful, seductive, dare I say revolutionary. I smell loads of spices, incense and a touch of carnation. When it comes to spicy scents, Opium has lead the way, and set the standard high. This is a fragrance for someone who's not shy, not afraid to be seen or heard. When I sniff my wrists while wearing this, I inhale deeply, it draws me in so much. I wonder how I managed to get along without it for so long. I have not tried the new version but I can't imagine it would compare to this beauty.

Irishfire
Irishfire

I usually go for more fresh/green scents, but I've had a passionate 25-year love affair with Opium that's still going strong. I only wear it at Christmastime though -- IMO, it's just too warm and spicy a scent to wear at any other time of year. Opium and Chanel No.5 are the supermodels of the perfume world!

maatgirl
maatgirl

Two things about me: one, I love autumn; two, I love spicy oriental fragrances. And in my mind they go together like peanut butter and jelly. So, October is the beginning of Spicy Oriental Season in my fragrance collection.
This review is for the fragrance in the bottle pictured above: the pre-reformulation EDT; it's the classic Opium that I remember from my childhood. I recall having a tiny sample vial of that I would sniff surreptitiously because my mother hated any fragrance that was not OCD clean (aldehyde city). I loved the spices, the depth, even the rich amber color of the juice in the tiny flask...and in 30+ years my attitude towards Opium has not changed. To compare it to several other members of its genre, it is less fruity (tangerine/mandarin orange) and more complex than Cinnabar, it has more clarity than Youth Dew, and it has fewer dried-herb notes than Ambre Sultan. Can I say that it is better than the other three, or give a ranking of the four with Opium among them? Can I love one of my daughters more than the other? Opium is beautiful and I love it; it blesses my autumn days with balsams and spices. It is truly a great fragrance.

bobkat
bobkat

I adore this scent, it is Christmas in a bottle to me. Too heady for daytime usually, but I have to wear it on Christmas day. It's the last perfume my Nan bought me before she died, so the scent is doubly poignant. It smells warm, luxurious and comforting...and like when all the family were together.

paraskevid
paraskevid

Unique, classy and it lasts longggg!! A real treasure!

rawan.natsheh
rawan.natsheh

I had an idea that opium was a heavy, masculine and old fashioned. I didn’t even consider it. Today I was at the store and saw the old bottle, thought that there is no harm in trying it. That was 8 hours ago and I keep on smelling my palm like and addict! I cannot wait to buy this tomorrow, even if I don’t spray it I will put it on my cushion, the perfume is soooooooo relaxing and intoxicating, really really loved it!

KuanYin
KuanYin

First wore this in the 80/90's, I have been looking for an oriental perfume for a while now and havn't found anything I like as much as this! still smells absolutely gorgeous, strong, spicy, sexy. I dont care that my daughter says its old lady perfume lol, I'm sticking with it, its going back up ther as my favourite!! I'm in love again!

Seraphic
Seraphic

I love spicier scents and this on the blotter was amazing, however trying it on was a different story. On me it smelt purely of incense, and not the nice kind of incense that brings back fond memories but the incense that is WAY to overpowering.

I can imagine this working for more mature women though.

chowchow41

I have a new botlle but it is not the same as the original. I looked on the internet to get the old botlle of edt wich i really adore. I tested my old botlle with the new one and there is a difference. The old botlle smells sweeter more warmer and richer.
The new botlle contains a note i don't like, i will use it but that note stays present. Luckelly i got hold of a 100 m old botlle edt. Thank god because there are not so many old botlles left.

lisliasm
lisliasm

When my grandmother moved out of her house and into a nursing home, she left behind some incense blessed by a priest, with a picture of a nun on the label. The minute I smelled it, I recognized it as the incense they use in her (Byzantine Catholic) church.

The priest walks down the center aisle in a Byzantine Catholic service swinging a giant metal ball filled with incense so heavy I had to leave one Easter because I was on the verge of fainting.

Opium, to me, smells like walking into a Byzantine church when the service has just ended. The incense is still hanging in the air and emanating from the walls and the ikons.

I could never wear this because it is too old and mysterious. Maybe someday?

Annica

Suddenly I feel I must have it again. I want to wear this original and sensual creation again along with the 60-ies and 70-ies fashion that is coming very strongly. Not a reformulated version, no, The Good Old Opium that I loved.

Update 24th of August 2013: Can´t believe it yet but I won a vintage Opium on Ebay. Love!

vanillaberry
vanillaberry

One of THE most phenomenal perfumes! I wore Opium all through my nid to late 20's. It simply simmered on me. Everyone loved. It just works.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

The EDT is just not good. The EDP is a tad better - more dense and rich - but I find theEDT to be a little overly smokey. Maybe it is my skin chemistry but it gets a tad sour.

I was disappointed because I love the smokiness and incense rich persona Opium is all about! A very difficult fragrance to wear but hats off to all those who rock it!

Aredore
Aredore

A spectacular incense of monstrous proportions, it is the scent of midnight mass in a massive gothic cathedral, creating images of a priestly procession, chanting in Latin, where an incognito woman of the night crouches in the knave, lighting candles before an icon of the virgin. Opiums' sensuality is brilliant in that it relies entirely on the protestant imagination's ability to re-envision the unholy corruption of the old church. It may be inspired by the rare spices and resins of the orient, but Opium is as a European as a perfume can get.

I sprayed Opium last night and 12 hours later it's still humming along on my wrist. In small doses, Opium is not incompatible with dining, clubbing or romance. Used excessively it will ward off flies, humans and evil spirits

krmarich
krmarich

In 1977, the amazing phenomenon know as Opium debuted. It changed the perfume world forever. It wasnt just a perfume, but a pop icon released from YSL. It caused a sensation on all fronts. Its name implied something illegal-it was banned in parts of Asia! Opium is addictive! You cannot stop sniffing it. YSL released it in limited distribution, causing near riots at local perfume counters.

Why the commotion? It had the most spices ever to date and grabbed the attention of innocent passerbys. I never found it sexy. Its rather provocative and alluring. It took a certain type of woman to pull it off. The "vamp" was born. Think Grace Jones. 11" stillettos and yes, real fur...

After the glittery dust settled and YSL passed, came the profane reformulation. How could you alter such a landmark? You cant. Unfortuately, the original is no longer produced, making it all the more sought after! The current Opium is just a flanker.

Celebrity=Grace Jones

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Opium is the quintessential IN-YOUR-FACE powerhouse oriental, not for the meek and self-conscious. It opens with a conflagration of spice and incense that remains broiling just beneath the surface as Opium dries down. Almost immediately after application and most definitely during Opium's dry down phase there's a moist, slightly funky note that I'm guessing is coming from the spice, balsam, myrrh, plum, and vetiver. It's this funky note and Opium's sheer strength that keeps me from loving the blend entirely, but it's tolerable and not so bad that I'd get rid of the bottle my mom so kindly sent me for free. I think this is another scent I'll have to spritz onto a cotton ball and dab on. I reviewed the EDT (tall bottle) for reference.

geekweevil
geekweevil

My mother used to wear the EDP and I avoided going near this one for a while as i thought of it as her perfume.
I'm glad i changed my mind and gave it a go...woah!
Along with Obsession, this is one of the best spicy POW! BAM! perfumes out there.
(I can see Batman wearing it as he fights crime!)

I also think of mustard coloured flares when i wear it. I suspect I have it associated with someone who must have worn it in the 70s, but i cannot recall who.
If i had a time machine I'd go back and figure it out, and also advice against mustard coloured flares.

Spicy, warm, happy pefume!

Aprilily
Aprilily

This was one of my first grown-up perfumes I bought for myself with one of my first paychecks back in high school(the other was Anais Anais). After bathing in this and getting a headache more than once, I learned one spritz in the air and a walk through was sufficient. It is heady, deep, sharp and powerful-a bit much for a 16 yr old girl, but I sure felt sexy wearing it.

chowchow41

My favorite aunt was at my birthday and she smelled awesome. It did not smell heavy, but light and a bit powdery on her [she had the right bodychemistry to wear it}. I asked her what she was wearing because it was love at first smell, it was Opium edt. The week after my birthday I immediately got myself a 30 ml Opium edt and i was in heaven. My husband thank god love's it to, he is fan of all of my fragrance's.

TWebb
TWebb

Sexy, spicy. A little goes a long way. The scent lingers forever on everything. Use a light hand when applying else everyone will smell you coming a mile away.

calyx93

A truly mesmerizing and kaleidoscopic oriental dream. Yes, it's very strong and lingers for an eternity and induces a good deal of olfactory fatigue in the wearer - hence the often over-application of it. However, applied judiciously, it's a symphony of fruits, resins and musks - heady and hypnotic.

Wearing this (and yes, men can wear this - forget the Pour Homme version), I'm reminded of my aunt Nancy - an amazing and exotic woman who traveled the entire world and occasionally made her home in a few countries in the Middle East and Asia. She was the kind of woman to show up at a black tie wedding in a silk brocade sheath dress from turn of the century China; telling stories of narrowly escaping coups and uprisings in the countries which she traveled, and of the beauty & splendor found as well.

It is NOT for those folks who like "safe" fragrances - ones that will please everyone. It takes a strong personality and a certain amount of confidence to pull this off. I mean really - what's the point in disparaging a scent just because the wearer cannot tolerate it nor has the spine or confidence to wear it? Most of the negative remarks come from people who, if you look at their scent collection, choose middle of the road/generic fragrances - or ones that only smell of baked goods or candy. Age has nothing to do with it - only the wearer's frame of mind and a nose that can sense quality, composition and the art of perfumery itself.

A masterpiece - truly exceptional and unique in the world. BTW - ONLY try the pre-reformulation version. The new version with its new bottle (easy to spot and avoid) it's missing much of what makes this scent so extraordinary.

ION
ION

Once again! This is an example of how great perfumes used to be.
"Opium" is so distinctive, much like "Loulou" mysterious and infinitely captivating!
Once you smell it, you know it, and never confuse it with another.
It is rather heavy by today's standards and being so memorable and succesful for so long I can't think how unique a woman wearing it might feel, but it has a great longevity and if you want to attract men's attention effortlessly, this one will certainly do the job!
No question I can imagine the Yves Saint Laurent executives when provided with the very first samples of this perfume back in the seventies, shouting in a voice trembling of sheer excitement:
"Oh my Gosh, this one is a hit!" :-)

Elise1214
Elise1214

Opium is such a classic, elegant, sexy, and sultry fragrance. I have two bottles of it, and oddly enough, one smells different than the other (this could be due to one being older than the other). I must say that the eau de parfum does smell better than the eau de toilete, in my opinion. Typically an eau de parfum simply lasts longer, but I think in the case of Opium it not only lasts longer but it also smells richer and better.

20thcenturyrelic
20thcenturyrelic

I'm mostly a floral and floral green girl, with an occasional fling with a floral oriental in the winter. But, I received a miniature of Opium in a gift set in the late 90s (probably the orig, not reform), and eventually decided to use it up during cold weather.

I liked it a lot better than I expected to. Maybe it was the spicy carnation/clove smell. I finished up the bottle, but, since it was like, not love, I'll probably never use it again.

Apologies to all Opium lovers.

greystone
greystone

This is one of my favorite perfumes that my wife owns,I only wish shed wear it more.Opium is a very multilayered fragrance that announces itself in a room.It is extremely sensual and elegant.Opium is without a doubt one of my favorite perfumes to smell.Love it.

malia

Got myself the biggest bottle of Opium. I always feel like a queen wearing it, feminine, seductive, desirable, like some Cleopatra ;-)
Smelling Opium is a delightful treat. Mmmmm.. I love it and it loves me - it smells warm and delicious on me. The fragrance stays a whole day on my skin, developing, getting even more irresistable, driving me crazy with its magical scent. Opium is a Sensuality in the bottle..

pippab
pippab

I loved Opium in the 70s and 80s, and after such a long time, I'm delighted to again have another bottle in my collection. It's a unique and dramatic fragrance that in my opinion is suited to cooler weather. For an EDT the staying power and voluptuous projection of this sultry and unique oriental are unsurpassed.

Bynesy
Bynesy

This was my first expensive bottle of perfume that my parents bought me when I was 14, now nearly 30 years later I still love this and get compliments everytime I wear this

puddley
puddley

Opium means business..
I got my first bottle whilst living in the Middle East, I think my taste changed in the steaming hot fragrant city of Dubai. Somehow, despite the many Ouds available, Opium fit the environment perfectly, bringing the marketing man's dream of exotic spices and nomadic spice trails to life. Now back in the UK, I still wear it sometimes, but not the new 'Belle' version which I find lacks the spicy soul of Opium.
Often associated with the eighties, I notice heads turn when worn on a young(ish!) woman, it's maybe unexpected, or maybe I am causing asthma attacks..
It can be overwhelming for others nearby so use with caution. I find the body cream offers a lighter wear and considerable longevity. However you use it, it is, without doubt, sexy.

Lilii
Lilii

Wow...opium! Believe me, Today I tested over 10 different perfumes in a shop ..I started from milder modern scents like Arden green tea, pretty, etc and you know that after a while testing different scents it is impossible to smell anything.so I decided to test the stronger ones like chanel line..I tried different chanel bottles , but I could not smell anything! then by chance I picked the opium , I immediately smelled the scent like a hit between my eyes, this perfume is STRONG and unique, you can truely find it among 100 other scents. But I think it is only for strong women , not for casual wear or teens.
It was the only bottle that I picked it 2,3 times to smell again and again, it is so addictive, makes you your slave even if you dont think it is pretty.

When I got home I started to smell the paper strips from the shop and I noticed that the modern line of perfumes are so similar to eachother, like 1,2 notes makes the difference in each one.they are safe and routine.
But I still remember the opium that I smelled in the shop maybe I get a small bottle one day and keep it for my own pleasure since I do not have the strong personality to match opium...it is such a great perfume.hate the fact that modern women do not use this kind of perfumes anymore.such a loss.

smartypants1562000
smartypants1562000

very strong scent. My husband likes it. The bottle I have is 23 years old so maybe I will try a fresh bottle.

derkargy
derkargy

A very special perfume,I think it's suitable for brunettes only!

arubadream
arubadream

I don't like this bottle at all, maybe because I normally don't like spicy/ warm/ musky/ ambery scent and maybe also because I live in a country that has 10 months Summer.

So when I use it in at night where the weather does cool down a bit, it is still very heavy and too strong although it was just one spray. Once I and my boyfriend was going to dinner and I used it, he told me he had got a headache and said he couldn't drive any further.

People also commented that I smell way too old for my age (very sad).

Chismosa
Chismosa

This is the 1980s in a bottle. In a cage fight, this would whoop Ralph Lauren Polo. Scary stuff.

anniebeck
anniebeck

Funny ...I love orientals but just did not take to this,only ever smelt this on a friend and (sorry friend)always smelt heavy and unpleasant to me, it may be just be the reaction on her skin not sure.
Maybe will try when out and about.

ANSD

I love the old and the new OPIUM, but I think, that the last one has a better sillage and longevity than the original...it lasts DAYS!! It is incredible even for me, a fan of strong fragrances...

candymarie
candymarie

Opium is an EXTREMELY opinionated and confident scent.

It gets right up in your face and yells, "Screw you if you don't like me, you spineless fence-sitter!" "I dare you to wear me! Do you have the guts?" "If not, then step aside and stop wasting my time!"

I can't wear it, but I've got to respect it.

Belgianbear
Belgianbear

First edition was "GREAT" Scent and Packaging ... So the best place to find the real sent of OPIUM is eBay !

olga1780
olga1780

Even for a fan of monster sillage like myself, 2 sprays of EDT and it turns from enjoyable to suffocating.I left the bottle sitting on the kitchen table and when I walked in later on, i could smell it even with the cap on.....amazing. But if applied in the right amount,Opium is an unbelievably sexy and statement making fragrance.
Its power makes it worth every penny because it will last you forever and a day. I don't see much difference between the original and its flankers other than sillage and longevity. But no matter what others say, to me the original Opium is very wearable and a head turner in a good way, if not used in warm weather or heavily abused.

paulie86
paulie86

I've tried the modern opium edp along time ago, and it didnt really wow me. I just bought the edt today the one that's pictured above, and all I have to say is WOAH! when I first spritzed it I thought what's all the commotion about it's not strong at all and I can pretty much handle any strong fragrance. Needless to say 5 minutes later, and I feel like i'm Linda Evangelista transported to the 80's with teased out hair dressed head to toe in a white YSl power suit with obnoxious gold jewels on the hunt for a bottle of opium. My head is spinning but in a good way. At first I get a hint of aftershavey soapiness and dominant carnation with a slight spiciness, as it warms on the skin I get a full blast carnation bouquet with resin so thick I can chew on it. Spices galore with a vanilla sillage. I seriously cannot handle myself I LOVE IT!! I haven't had a reaction to perfume like this since I tried Poison so long ago. i'm doubled over in ecstasy slumped over my keyboard lol definitely for a powerful woman.

Inche
Inche

Very strong,heavy scent, not for everyone.Was in the past one of my favourite perfume.

ANSD

The old and new Opium (I think that there is no difference between them) is the best perfume of the world!!It is so mystic and strong! It can only be used by self-assured people!

Scent - 10/10 (so, so original)
Longevity - 10/10 (It lasts days on clothes)
Sillage - 10/10 (fantastic)

Piratka
Piratka

Heavy scent, not for everyone. But I loved it, It made me feel like Queen of Sheba.

Exiihra
Exiihra

This is a heavy, oriental, spicy scent that smells almost like the retired perfume Ispahan from Yves Rocher. After trying many different scents over the years, I have come to realize that oriental ones are the most suitable for my personality and my skin. Opium is one of my favourite perfumes.

ThatGirlsMom
ThatGirlsMom

I have been wearing Opium for almost 30 years. I was at work in the early 80's and a woman walked down the hall leaving in her wake the most marvelous fragrance. I was so drawn in by the scent I ran out of my office and followed her down the hall and into the ladies room. In most circumstances I would never intrude on a strangers privacy but I just had to know what the perfume was, so I asked. Over the next couple of days I couldn't get the memory of her scent out of my mind so I purchased a bottle of Opium and have been wearing it ever since Unfortunately although I like the way it smells me it was like heaven on the mystery woman, just goes to show that body chemistry plays a big role in the life of a fragrance. Sorry to say that my latest bottle of Opium smells similar to the original formula, but is enough different I am searching for a new signature scent. Till then I'm sticking with the reformulated opium.

shenanigans
shenanigans

This is one unforgiving diva (in the wrong hands) and probably the reason I thought I hated perfume for so long. It was the weapon of choice for my ex mother in law and I could not stay far enough away from her when she had it on. It is capable of clearing a room in seconds.

Years later on a whim I decided to give this one a test at a counter. I wanted to see if it was the fragrance or the wearer to blame for that screaming headache and realized that it actually has a smoldering, exotic quality that I like.

I would really love to smell it on a person that knows how to wear it properly. Although, I have not recovered enough to let that person be me.

janmcm
janmcm

I haven't smelled this for years, it was my mums signature scent of the 80s so I'm sure I would recognise it anywhere.
I remember it being very strong, almost overpowering smell. Probably perfect for a night on the town in the 80s.

bluemlein
bluemlein

what is it in opium that so immediately makes itself at home in the back of my throat and proceeds to tear and rip off the lining of my sinuses? a stench - way too great a percentage of it, whatever it is.

and this selfsame stuff is present in bal a versailles for men. braf! if one could ignore it - as in pour homme - it will eventually go away, but opium has so much that one feels coated in it jes' lahk the tar baby was dunked in tar.

(c)2011 Daisy Morant

krissycat
krissycat

Oh my, I wish I could say I like this fragrance. I received this perfume, a full bottle as a gift from an admirer in my early 20s. And let's just say this admirer was way too old for me and super creepy so already my relationship with Opium started off on the wrong foot. I had to give it a test though.. and boy did I NOT like this perfume. Infact I gave it away to someone who heard I had a whole bottle of Opium I didn't like and sweeped that baby up in a jiffy. So I thought now in my 30s, maybe I was just too young to appreciate this one.. so I sprayed it one day out in the store to give it another whirl. Wow, I still hated it... it is so fantastically strong, which is a good thing for women who love this one. You absolutely have to have the chemistry to wear this one, and you have to love strong orientals. To be honest I have a knock off of this perfume, and I can't even enjoy this one because its not only the scent is so strong and peppery, I just don't enjoy the scent at all. I admire any woman who can wear this and the perfume doesn't wear them, as it did me.

Kittycat63

Wow, it amazes me that so many people seem to adore this perfume.

It very definitely is, as other reviewers have mentioned, an extremely polarizing perfume (and I use that word very loosely - to me Opium is a stench!) and provokes extreme reactions. I can understand people absolutely detesting this perfume (as I do) but, for the life of me, I cannot understand how anybody could love it!! It's such a chokingly pungent, heavy, cloying SMELL that I'm one of those people who find it totally nausea inducing and awful!!

As for the notes in Opium, one reviewer has said "..it is a huge bouquet of notes which keep popping up one after the other ...". I don't know about that!! To me, it seems as if there's everything but the kitchen sink in Opium (I don't think I've ever seen so many notes listed in a perfume!), which is probably one of the reasons why I find the smell of it so offensive and staggeringly overpowering!!

Also, as another reviewer mentioned, wearers of Opium (and other heavy, pungent scents) do seem to be far too heavy-handed with their application of it and need to exercise a bit of self control and consider others around them! So many women seem to go crazy with their perfumes and overspray, which can be bad at the best of times but when that happens with such strong perfumes as Opium the results can be horrendous for other people who are forced to breathe in the overpowering smell!

mika71
mika71

So dramatic and exotic still, all citrus, spice and incense. My mother started wearing this when I was about 10, and it must have sparked my fondness for all things spicy and incense-y. In the same family I think as Black Cashmere, but more sweet.

Not for the faint of heart and best applied with a light hand, unless you're looking to issue a nasal beatdown on someone :)

Longevity for days. It always lingered on my mother's clothes.

I don't wear it b/c it conjures up so many childhood memories and associations, both good and bad, but would recommend to anyone who is interested in strong, spicy scents.

Gaston1025
Gaston1025

Un perfumee que distingue a las mujeres su especiado aroma hace de una fragancia embriagadora que con solo ponerte en la piel se queda y dura todo el diaa
es un clasico de yves saint laurent.
Fragancia para mujeres arriba de los 30! exquisito!

mariaraluca
mariaraluca

cinnamon drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love opium but i am only 28 and i think that is innapropriate to use it at this age. i will buy it later...

Louw
Louw

Heady, spicy and seductive, Opium is a rich concoction of wood, spice and musk. I adore it but it makes me feel really ill so I just cannot wear it. Ah well, I suppose I must resort to "passive smelling" and inhale the divine scent on other people!!

Purselady65
Purselady65

I, like most loved it in the 80's. After reading a few reviews I feel the need to go RETRO, yes I'm going out tommorow and buy me a bottle of Opium. It will only be a small one because it is still just as expensive as it was in the 80's. If I can carry a LV Speedy 30 in 2011 like I did in High School in the 80's. I can smell like I did then too.
The best thing was the oil body spray. The more I reflect the more I smile, Opium brings back some memories I dont think I should be sharing LOL.

pmcclure
pmcclure

I was the disco dancing queen, when I wore this back in the 70s. It was a gorgeous voluptuous scent that could stand up to dancing all night.

I wouldn't wear it today -- so many more beautiful fragrances have been developed. It's a nice visit down memory lane, but I've moved on.

Dunmore
Dunmore

I absolutely hate the top notes, they are far too stingy- they even give me dizzyness, after them this frag becomes a bit more human and even maybe likeable.
It has amazing longevity and spreading power, it lasts and spreads then it lasts and spreads some more..
This is a very high quality perfume, it is a huge bouquet of notes which keep popping up one after the other. It just doesn't fit my taste, I'd recommend this for women 45 and up. I definately believe it is outdated, though...

mizfranz13
mizfranz13

I grew up smelling this. This was my mom's favorite. I remember loving this perfume. And it's the only scent that I remember so vividly. I would personally like to wear it myself, if only it wasn't my mom's signature scent.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This is another iconic 80s perfume that I approached with trepidation, since I’d sampled it in the remote past, both personally and in second-hand sillage, and found it unbearably strong. What I have is not only just the EdT concentration, it must also be a reformulated version since it isn’t anywhere near as obnoxious as I remember it being. It was cautiously dabbed, not sprayed. Yes, it’s strong, but it’s not the must-scrub power punch I anticipated. In fact, I have to admit that I like it now that I’ve revisited it, although I still can’t say I love it.

This version of Opium starts out with mixed citrus, spicy florals, and a patchouli and sandalwood-adorned “oriental” base that peeks through, infusing the whole thing with a warm glow. Everything comes together to produce the expected floral-oriental, but it just doesn’t have the swaggering, dark, fake-walnut-grain-paneling feel that I seem to remember it used to have. Darn. Now I’ll have to find a sample of the vintage version to compare. What is clearly still a key feature of Opium is its prodigious strength. A tiny drop of EdT produces an all-day cloud of sillage.

balzac
balzac

Oddly enough, my 7 year old son really loves this scent. He has no knowledge of when a fragrance dropped on the market...it goes to show it's mystery is still very present. I sprayed it lightly behind my knees...unbelievable. When I say lightly, I really mean gently, and it lasted me the whole evening through night.
It has a calming effect, very dark, very warm, yet subtle. Yes, I am speaking about Opium...subtle.

booandgagamomma
booandgagamomma

Ah, Opium! I agree with previous posters that its a rather polarizing scent. Oddly, I somehow was always one of those few middle people who thought: meh...
This is my MIL's signature scent and my SIL brought it to my attention that she cant stand it- it makes her sick, and every time my MIL watches her daughter she has to wash her numerous times to "get the putrid stink off". I thought my SIL was probably just being overdramatic and a little harsh. That was until the day she borrowed mine and my husband's new cadillac. She had it for maybe 10 minutes and for WEEKS we could not get the horrid "old woman" smell out of our new car...which should smell strongly of new car. right?! Anyways, its kind of put me at odds with Opium. Their ads are always lovely and enticing but I'm forever tainted with it. Today at the fragrance counter an octagenarian walked up next to me, snatched up the bottle of Opium and began to BATHE in it. I'm talking 15+ sprays! Maybe this is why it has a bad rap- the wearers can not practice self control!

ShannyO
ShannyO

Opium is one of those perfumes that evokes strong feelings in most people; they either adore it or hate it. I happen to really like it, but no doubt there's some sentimental attachment. My grand"mother" wore it quite a bit in the late 70s to mid 80s, until one too many a person told her it made them ill. Never one to offend she sadly put it away.... but still loved it herself. As for my own experience, it seems men, by and large, love it, while around 50% of women can't stand it. However, as mentioned, when a woman likes it she's usually a devout fan. I refrain from wearing it because it seems that those who don't like it actually get nauseated from smelling it. There is a new lighter version, though, that is more palatable for everyone.

Ms. Holmar
Ms. Holmar

I really love the smell, yet this is another that I couldn't wear because it reminds me of my mom. She wore it. Definitely not a turn on but it evokes nice memories.

Kittycat63

Pierina - you just made me laugh so much! Poor you having spilled Opium on yourself!! I remember only too well the awful nauseous feeling it invoked in me as well, when I tested it one time, so I totally sympathize with you. I hope you did finally manage to scour the stench away!! ;o)

Pierina
Pierina

When I was a teenager my mum gave me a tiny bottle of this, I decanted into an atomiser. I was wearing it while working behind a bar (pre cigarette bans) and a very funky gay man leaned over the bar to shout into my face that I stunk. He wasnt Joking. I never wore it again.
Just now (12 years on) I found said bottle and atomiser and decided to make use of the atomiser.... while recanting the decanted amber liquid, I spilt opium all over my legs and hands (really about 5 drops but that was enough!)
I want to vomit! the smell won't wash off, I think it needs to wear off with my skin cells.
I keep turning around thinking the nemesis of my work is behind me (opium and Chanel No5 are her signatures but I digress)
This perfume is not good. Well unless you are 55-100 with pasty skin and bad foundation.
BLETCH!

Mokokos
Mokokos

Years ago, when I was in my 20's I was at a booksellers show and a woman walked by that had a fragrance that I never smelled before, it was stunning, mesmerizing and wonderful to take in. It also evoked romance and passion. I was amazed that a woman's fragrance could provoke such feelings in me. I got up the nerve to ask the woman what was she wearing? She said Opium by Yves St. Laurent. I complimented her, saying that I thought it was great, it just enhanced her completely. I made a mental note that if I ever married, I would buy this fragrance for my bride. Well, years later a wonderful woman came into my life and she became my wife. I bought her Opium while we dated and for our honeymoon. I couldn't keep my hands off her. What a great Hall of Fame fragrance!

Now, I have smelled it recently, the elements are still there, but to my nose it does seem that there has been a subtle change in the composition. I wonder, have they changed the pure parfum too? If they have changed it, they should try and issue the original and call it classic and let the public be the judge.

Kittycat63

Oh dear, someone on here who must clearly adore Opium seems to have found my previous review highly offensive, for some peculiar reason, and felt the need to send me a bizarre message telling me that she thought I was a vile person (the expression "get a life" springs immediately to mind!) !! Hmmm, and all I did was say that I dislike Opium intensely and that the one time I tested it years ago it almost made me sick to my stomach. I guess some people really find it incredibly hard to handle other people daring to express a different opinion to them and get very bent out of shape about it!

As far as I'm aware everyone who's a member here is entitled to give positive, indifferent or negative reviews about perfumes. So, the fact that someone felt that they had the right to chastise me for giving a negative review of Opium is pathetic, as well as incredibly arrogant and intolerant. It did make me laugh though! :-)

Anyway, I'm happy to say it again - I REALLY dislike Opium and it's the worst perfume I've ever smelled!

lgorz
lgorz

It is a classical that every woman should have in her fragrance wardrobe.
One of the best ever oriental spicy!
For most of women seem now oldfashioned but to me it has a very special place in my fragrance memories.
Obviously I keep it exclusively for cold months in winter and after early evening.
Simply adorable

renaek
renaek

Far too fruity and spicy for me.
VERY oriental...

kgb1_nz
kgb1_nz

This perfume gives me an instant headache. I was in an elevator the other day and a woman got on wearing Opium. Luckily for me I only had 2 more floors before I could get off, so I just had to hold my breath until then.

Katrusya31
Katrusya31

I had it. It is like no one parfum long long lasting. For woman after 30. You can always recognize by the smell, if somebody wearing it that it is Opium on it!

querelle
querelle

Mum's best friend USED to wear Opium alot, I do remember it was her favourite for a very long time. One day I've noticed she was wearing something else and I asked her why. "It's not the same anymore, there is something in the new Opium which makes it a bad copy of the brilliant original". The new Opium attempts to enter the new era in the same outfit but different attitude and all I have to say is, let's leave it to those who haven't been familiar with the brilliant original. And please, all you people in the perfume industry, stop messing with the classics, unless you have a far much better idea.

pinki
pinki

I respect it, but I don't like it! Everyone whom I have encountered wearing this perfume always over does it!

AnaCezar
AnaCezar

Some people may consider it oldfashioned nowdays as so many women had it in the 80´s but, in my opinion, Opium is a legendary and timeless master piece. Extremely sexy, sofisticated, warm and unique. That´s why it became a classic. It´s simply unforgetable. A real seductive, magic, erotic potion. Better for evening and winter days. It´s quite strong so a few drops are enough, and it lasts very, very long.

Update: This review was for the vintage Opium.

malia

Opium really makes you enjoy its fragrance with your eyes closed... from delight. I can't believe i didn't like this perfume before. Long time ago i've tried it once and i have found it way too strong to wear...
Recently i've got a sample of Opium. Well, okay, let's spary it on.. O My God, i was immediatly taken away to the mystical zone. Amazing oriental scent. It lives on my skin for a whole while, becoming even more desirable. Opium is just the right name for this fragrance. It's a drug, a very strong one. I'm buying it!!!
Another proof that you can be mistaken about a perfume by one try.
And you know what... Opium is a turn-on, and not only for men ;-)

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Now, girls, you've got to be sparing with this one. It's a night party perfume. My suggestion is to spray some on a cotton tip and dab on eyebrows, through hair (especially the crown of the head 'cos most men are taller than women)around wrists and inner thighs. Prise the little cotton tip off and tuck into your bra. Then, leave it and do not, I repeat, do not put any more on for the rest of the evening. Don't be tempted to pop the EDT into your purse because you don't need to. This is a perfume that becomes part of you - if you'll let it. AND MEN LOVE IT - if you use the right amount.

flowermom
flowermom

going back to when i was in my mid twentys( a long time ago!!) a lot of women i knew wore this, very spicy, very recognisable, very bold!! personally i never liked it, the smell walks into a room before you do!! not my cuppa tea at all !!

Sparks
Sparks

One of the few Orientals I have ever smelled that I took an instant dislike to. When it first came out a friend who always bought whatever was hot any given week shoved it under my nose and said 'Isn't it wonderful?!'. Uhhhhhhh, no. I have tried samples three or four times trying to understand why it was so popular, but I guess I'll never get it. I at least like most decent scents, even if I don't like them on me, but this one...this one will forever remain on my 'not if it was the last perfume on Earth' list.

I have the EDP (old formula). This stuff is SPICY! I would almost call it masculine except for the fact that there is something sweet in there as well. On my skin, cinnamon dominates. It makes me think of a cinnamon flavored black tea that I have. Sniffing this fragrance conjures up images of chiken tiikka masala -- smoky from the tandoori oven, smothered in a rich curry sauce made of a complex blend of exquisite spices. I am determined to wear this fragrance next time I go out for Indian! I LOVE the drydown, with it's thick, sweet undertones of honey.

IMHO, Opium is in a class far above Youth Dew, Estee, etc.

The reformulation opens with subtle, light citrus notes, but I don't detect any of that in the old version at all. With the old version, there is no beating around the bush. You get cinnamon and spices at first spritz.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Opium is yet another example where you can throw in together a bunch of different notes, which at first glance have nothing in common, and get an amazing fragrance in return. This perfume has been created by genius!
It's spicy and smokey at the same time, with strong cinnamon, incense, tolu balsam and vanilla))
Just like others already noted - Opium stands proudly together with Youth Dew, Coco and perhaps Cinnabar.
Probably, nowadays it is not as versatile as it might have been in the past. But if used in small amounts, it will suit for the evening, if you want to stay unique and mysterious))

Udaria
Udaria

A difficult perfume ... I don't know what to make of it. I'm talking about the Eau de Toilette. I sprayed some on my inner elbow, and at first got something mossy (and that for top notes). But now, two hours later (and I timed it and took notes), a nice warm cinnamon aroma comes forward, intoxicating and quite strong. The further it develops, the more I like it and believe that I can actually live with it.

After so many tests with perfumes containing oud, I can get used to anything !!

The green fragrance of Sisley's Eau du Soir turns me off in the dry down ... Opium gets better and better ... well, so much for body chemistry.

I can see why some people would hate to have to smell Opium, like Angel it is a very demanding perfume ... either you can wear it, or you can't. The only way I will wear it, is to be sure to apply it under my clothes at least two hours before going out. There is nothing charming or relaxing about the top notes, only the heart and the base notes are seductive, warm and scintillating.

Habanita and Le Baiser du Dragon are also very difficult to wear, of the three, I will pick Opium as the easiest.

larali
larali

Whoo... I dunno about this one. Maybe I am just not an Opium girl. This stuff permeated the air around me and made me itch. It got on my clothes and was still all over me after a hot shower (that is with only one spritz!). It immediately brought to mind the older ladies at church when I was a kid... and smells a lot like YouthDew, which my mom used to wear. Honestly it brings back the 80s to me. It is a nice elegant perfume but it is really strong and just not my style at all.

Lady Love
Lady Love

I have 'Opium', 'Samsara' and 'Coco' in my dressing table, looking at me.. I am in heaven!

Opium smell similar to Tabu and Youth Dew. They share the same concept, but Opium place more emphasis on Citruses,incense and Pepper notes, and in the other hand, Ylang Ylang shine more on Tabu and Youth Dew. Anyway I have to admit that Opium is the best.

This is a sophisticated scent, It's strong and rich, with spices and exotic florals, and if you only like to wear fresh or clean scents, well, opium is pretty much the opposite of all that.

OPIUM is one of the best perfumes you can use!

mehrdad
mehrdad

ماندگار ترین عطر زنانه در تاریخ حاظر به همراه شنل 5 و این عطر قدیمی زنانه همچنان جزو بهترین محسوب شده و خواستاران زیادی دارد و نامش نیز واقعا برازنده اش میباشد
گرم
با پخش بوی بسیار بالا
رنانه ای در حد کمال

OPIUM - PARFUM

Bottle PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Opium, a window onto an imaginary world

Once upon a time there was OPIUM…
More than just a fragrance is an opulent, fascinating, inimitable trail.
A one-way ticket to a symbolic and enigmatic faraway place. A dream-like journey into a land of make-believe with unsuspected charm.
Experiencing life at the highest level.

The essence of Opium, a deep and intense interpretation, finds refuge in its mythical bottle in the shape of an inrô. An inrô is a precious box for storing essential ointments and miracle plant remedies. According to the legend, oriental warriors always carried one around with them, dangling at their waist.

Size: 7,5 ml , 15 ml , 30 ml

به نقل از سایت تولید کننده

ReinaT

After reading some of the other reviews, I feel the need to defend my beloved Opium! It is one of my all time favorite perfumes in the world. It is mysterious, sexy, floral, feminine, lasts for hours, gorgeous, did I say sexy??! Oh yessss! Also, men react very well to it. I've had men stop me while I'm shopping and ask me what I'm wearing so they could buy it for their wives. I am completley serious about that. It is sultry and sophisticated, warm but still sweet. It should be used sparingly because for some it can come on strong as it is a spicy floral oriental. This perfume leaves so much to the imagination! Wearing it makes me dream of beautiful girls in flowing thin webs of colorful Indian gossamer whenever I smell this incredibly exotic arouma on myself. I love this scent so much, I wish I didn't have to share it with anyone and I could keep it just for myself! Warning: Opium should not be used by the weak of heart!

TrinitySydney
TrinitySydney

This was my mom's going-out-with-dad-at-night scent. My dad wore Pierre Cardin and my mom wore Opium. I remember thinking that they MUST be the most beautiful and spicily-fragrant people in in the world.

If I ever smell this again, it will make me cry for missing them.

ReinaT

A very strong fragrance, not everyone can carry it off, but I have always loved the gorgeous auroma of the orient. YSL Opium is a classic and important perfume. If one can't handle the strength, the 2005 Opium Fleur de Shanghai offers a much softer version. I'm so grateful YSL has not changed this classic oriental floral and that I can still buy it. I have always received compliments when I wear it and men react especially well to it.

polka
polka

What a monstrous perfume! ... Perfume with the capital "P". Nowadays no one would dare to release such frag on the perfume market, dominated by generic, sweet, floral compositions.

Opium does not pretend to be nice and kind and willing to please everyone. Here it is, very well aware of its value, and doesn't give a damn whether you'll like it or not.

You will not find flowers or candy in it. You'll find coke, rum and whiskey. You'll find stacks of spices straight from exotic market. An expensive incense-flavored cigar with a hint of sweetness. Finally, you will find a whiff from a smokehouse.

This fragrance takes you on a journey to the capital of Haiti, Port au Prince, where coca grows and rum pours in streams, and then moves you on to Havana, shrouded with narcotic smell of cigars. Are you ready for such a trip, or perhaps you prefer to go to plastic Ibiza?

You don't smell Opium. You're supposed to inhale them.

madge369
madge369

Ahh..What can be said about Opium.probably one of the most instantly recognisable perfumes ever. I have always thought that this is the perfume for a dark, sultry brunette. It is far too strong for me, but I admire those women who can wear it!

sweet, strong spicy and foul. i've never liked this. its a pushy and rude perfume. i find most people either love or hate it. there is no in between. guess i'm one of the haters.

not a fan, never have been. strong, spicy, woody, simmering, but not in a good way. passed on this years ago and still do.

gingergirl60
gingergirl60

Time goes by and i forget how wonderful this is, and how powerful...I have the edt at the moment and only need a tiny amount,even then it is only suitable for special occasions when you want to smell exotic, spicy and sexy. Absolutely iconic,the stuff dreams weave around!

Chibichaca
Chibichaca

I thought it was too sweet but it seemed to get a lot of attention, especially from men.

Niunia
Niunia

I like it, not love it. Very strong ... gypsy camp fire frag :) But there is something special about it. I would wear more of it, but my husband hates it :)

Update: I think I love it :) I'm addicted to it! can't stop smelling myself. our relationship is growing stronger and stronger! I's sweet and spicy, and it makes me feel good!

Parfumista2010

Opium is a "love it" or "hate it" fragrance, you cannot like or dislike it a little :-)
I love Opium, I have from the very first sniff when I was a shy teenage girl fascinated by this bold mixture of spices, incense and resins.
Back then I felt so unbelievably ladylike when I smelled it. Of course, at that time I could not wear it, but I kept the miniature bottle for my own secret pleasure.
Nowadays the feeling of a fire site with burning wooden logs comes into my mind when I smell Opium. Or an oriental princess wearing this perfume for dinner.
So many reviews have been written about Opium, some with admiration, others with despise.
If I had to choose one perfume to be my all-time favourite classic it would undoubtably be Opium.
The re-formulation did not help the scent but has not destroyed its charm either, I can live with the change and also use the new version.
The top note shows me mandarine oranges with strong spices, followed by slightly woody elements and in the end of its development the incense appears.
It was, it is and will be an admirable timeless classic.

deadcountess
deadcountess

I use to adore it when I was younger and I was thinking that I can use any perfume I like at any occasion. I still like it but I almost never wear it. It's nice to smell it from the distance when weared by an admirable lady. Maybe I simply realised that I don't have the power to wear it!

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

Adorable fragrance for adorable women. after so many years it is still a unique and totally mesmerizing fragrance. its not for young girls and teenagers for sure it's for mature women with a class. I absolutely love this fragrance.
Great silage and longevity. Thumbs up YSL!
I give it 9 out of 10.

yudisuseno
yudisuseno

this is dead serious, seducing in a mature way, kind of remind me about aristocrats' life.

it smells rich, and intense, even it's EDT. it works like EDP, the indian smell in the beginning mixing with pepper and peach mixing with cinnamon, closed with a mysterious smell of incense and vanilla, (at least that is what i smell) and hey, you smell til you want to eat your wrist

JustinV
JustinV

Hi girls, I know I am a guy, but for some reason, I had to do this review, this was a scent which my mom use it until today. So,here's my take =)

On my skin (yes I spray it on me for the test):
Top + Middle: : Gorgeous, smoky, plum-like scent, but not the sour plums, more like a well-done concentrated plum, there's also a hint of woods, and a pinch of citrusy scent, but barely noticeable. Lasted on my skin for almost 12 hours.

Base: Barely much changes from top to base, I detect some incense + tobacco in it, but not over powering, it just sits there 'professionally'. 9 hours up.

This does not smell like Opium pour homme.

This scent is classy, you may use it for work, I can imagine a boss or a lady superior, someone who has authority to command using this.

Super-duper versatile. But there's a drawback, I can only imagine 28+ ladies wearing it, this is not for teeny-high school, please, don't steal your mom's and use it in school, people will hate you for this XD. You may give it a whiff from the bottle cap, and that's it!!!

Anyways, for the 28 up ladies...
DATES? YES
FUNCTION? 100% YES
WORK? YES (but make sure you're a superior, haha!)
CLUBS? NO (this scent is very, very upper class, you can cut through smoke with this for sure, but people might hate u with this scent).

Ladies, you do not want to go over board with this, its one spray to your 'in-between-your-breast' when you are wearing a low v-neck, and one shot on each of your wrist--> and a quick touch from your wrist to your neck's pulse points.

Or two on each neck pulse points (or 1 on the center of your neck), and one shot on each of your wrist--> and a quick touch from your wrist to knees if you are wearing skirt.

From the top till the drydown, it is beautiful, addictive, and intimate. You can imagine someone wearing this in the morning at work, and then goes out on a wine dining with her love one, and have sex with him later, and the next morning, going to work with this fragrance. LOL

It can be someone's signature scent.
Unique in a way, commanding in another =)

The country I am in has no 4 seasons, so it is either hot or cold weather. This works very well on both, but better at night.

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 5 (this is Yves Saint Laurent art, while Chanel gives women freedom, YSL gives women power, this is a true command queen).

Sillage: 5 (Incredible, it leave a trail, a smoky one, but not the bubble trail, this is smoke trail, and people will smell it!!!).

Time length: 5 (I don't know about the ladies skin chemisty, but this is nuts, this one lasted on me almost 24 hours).

Occasion: 5 (You might be wondering, how could I give a 5 when I say it is not for clubs? Well, Opium is for upper class occasion).

Overall base on mathematics: 5/5

Sweet memories lingers in this scent. I remember when I was a kid, and my mom using it (until today), an addictive scent which is timeless for sure. If I were to pick this or No 5, this is a keeper for me. No 5 is great, but a little to common. But this one, this is a keeper in the ladies wardrobe for sure.

xanman
xanman

While I can't handle this perfume during warm weather, I find myself craving it as soon as the first cold days of autumn arrive.There is something fresh and exhilarating about this fragrance when it is mingled with cold crisp air.The spicy composition just fits naturally with other scents associated with the cooler months; fallen leaves after a good rain, ripened apples, firewood burning... Conversely during the summer months it loses that fresh clean spicy component and becomes overwhelmingly heavy,even cloying.In fact, it downright depresses me.If you've never tried Opium before, do so durng the colder months as this is a wonderful olfactory experience.

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

I was definitely too young to be wearing this as a teenager! But then again I always loved the classic fumes, even if they were too mature for me at the time. I guess I was way ahead of myself in that sense. Opium will always be amongst the most beautiful Orientals ever. It's been some time since I've owned her, but I will make it my priority to do so again.

AgentSteph
AgentSteph

I like spice, and I love orientals, but this one over does it. It's like someone poured a bottle of jasmine and pepper into my Halloween candy. Turns my stomach to think of it.

ilprezzo
ilprezzo

Smelled this yesterday.God...what were they thinking doing such a bad Reformulation!Something plastic is present from Opening to Drydown. Shame on you L`Oreal!!

TankGirl
TankGirl

To me Opium is magic. I feel like I was transported to a Egyptian palace and that Im a sexy golden dressed quenn with a leopard on my feets. Opium its amazingly warm, spicy and adicting as the name says. I dont have nothing to say that everybody here already said, because this is a masterpiece, the reformulation is better than I was expecting and it is totally wearable. I dont find it old-fashioned at all, perfect to wear on a night out with a nice dress and a warm coat...BUT this perfume asks for a level of sophistication that not all women have, that is the bad point of Opium, sometimes it is a little bit too diva. Anyway, I believe that with a light hand, this one still can make anyone feel special. And that its what a good perfume does :)
I gave it all the stars in the universe, I love it :)

meisha

An ex bf gave me an edp when I was in my teens. It smelled soooo good. It is strong and sexy and you must have the confidence to wear it. Unfortunately all I see is the edt nowadays and the edt smells entirely different from the classic edp. I would wear it again if 1 find the edp.

parfum de l'amour
parfum de l'amour

This was instant love, baby! An exchange of glances, a sniff of a scent and I was smitten! I somehow had a feeling this was going to happen. When I first "set nose" on the perfumed blotter, the intense, intoxicating sweetness cast a spell on me. It's rich and strong like, well... opium! and it throws you into something very close to a euphoric trance. The smell is close to that of a balm made out of aromatic plants. As it develops, you get this sharp, evident clove note that I find extremely sexual, like a sting of instant arousal. After an hour or so, it dries down to a hot, quietly sensuous scent, like the smell of a smouldering fire kindling beneath a thin layer of ashes.
This is a perfume meant for strong personalities. Do not come close to it if you are known to possess even the tiniest amount of delicacy or fragility. It's powerful and dangerous. And it does not know the meaning of subtlety, discretion and not even cunning. Its approach is intimidatingly direct.

Kiku
Kiku

I was gifted with a bottle of Opium when it was first introduced. It smelled wonderful but it was so punch-you-in-the-face strong it gave me headaches and people could smell me before they saw me! I threw it away and haven't worn it since. I smelled this again a few days ago and it has obviously been reformulated.
The same exquisite notes are there: the oranges in the opening, the carnation in the heart, the vanilla and sandalwood in the base. But it has become soft and powdery, a complex blend with a subtle result. It lacks the somewhat cheap and synthetic smell of the original. And what staying power! I sprayed some on 18 hours ago and can still smell it. A rare occurence of a reformulation being a big improvement.

Kittycat63

Gisele Bundchen supposedly wears this stinking, disgusting 'perfume'? Yeah right! This kind of cloying, disgusting, slap-around-the-face kind of perfume seems totally NOT the kind of perfume someone like her would wear. So, I'm sure that's a case of her trying to promote it, either because she gets paid to do it or is friends with the company who make it!

Either way, this is one of the most horrible perfumes I've ever smelled in my life. I made the mistake of spraying myself with a tester of it in a department store years ago and boy, did I regret it! As soon as the first drop landed on my skin I knew I'd made a horrible mistake but by then it was too late. The stench clung to me for what seemed like forever, no matter how much I tried to scrub it off. I literally felt sick to my stomach. Luckily, I didn't actually vomit but the stink of it clung onto me and made me feel nauseous for hours afterwards and made me totally lost my appetite!

God knows there are many stinking perfumes out there, some 'classics' and others are newer ones, but this one is in a league of its own in the stinking category!!

Opium is one .very good reason why I really dislike 'oriental spicy' types of perfumes. The ones I've smelled are putrid, stinky and overwhelmingly horrible, but Opium is the foulest of them all by a long shot.

Even if I was offered a million dollars to wear this for 24 hours I couldn't do it. OK, maybe I could but only if I was in a coma and not aware of anything at all, so then I wouldn't feel horribly sickened and suffocated by the stench!!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I think the fact that this is worn by Gisele Bundchen says everything about this perfume.
To me this is heady and intoxicating, it belongs in the boudoir of a beautiful seductive woman (not girl)who still manages to be a lady to the outside world.
It is certainly distinct, just definitely not something I can wear. I felt like an imposter when I spritzed this legendary perfume on my wrist to try. It's all spice and incense and literally smells like actual opium. It's not that I don't like it, it's just not for me.

guest_loulee
guest_loulee

the 2010 reformulation smells far better than the original, imo. a rare instance when a revamp turns out a true improvement. gone are the sweaty sour accords in favour of more angelic powder dust. a masterpiece in my book.

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

This along with Flowerbomb are my cousins signature scents. This is quite nice on a woman & leaves a trail of confidence, craftiness, & beauty alltogather. It litoreally last till the time you go to sleep & even after you wake up! This & Opium for men are both brilliant! Kudos to Yves Saint Laurent & company because when it comes to frags, they dont have to take a back seat to ANYONE!

guest_sara
guest_sara

I love this one in a way because it reminds me of my mom when she was young but it feels a bit dated on my skin..

arg1971
arg1971

Opium is rather a strong fragrance mixed with a good body chemistry one can pull this off very well. It smells really strong on me but I have smelled this frangrance on other people and was like wow what is that scent you are wearing smelled completely different. I like it but dont wear as much more for the colder weather not for Summer

airwatersun
airwatersun

it is still, after all these years, a classy, feminine, mystical, rich, unique, so recognizable in this perfume-flooded world, which is very hard i think, to be so original. you can smell it and say.. good old gold.

Sissi
Sissi

Y.S.L Opium has many identities A glamorous spy
for the Japanese intelligence in ww2,
A faded movie diva or a world-renowned
Opera singer with some dirty little secret
that She is really a He and his British
diplomat lover hasn't got a clue.
Opium despite it's sheer beauty hides a lot of naughty secrets, we well discuss
this later.

The notes to my senses the bottom of the basenotes seem to be more dominate for me then the top and middle section the opening starts with spicy coriander with it's dryness shifts to an scent semi-sweet aroma of cloves and of black pepper dries to a scent of bitter bergamot and citruses.
delicate jasmine makes a nice entrance
in the middle balance IMHO the
jasmine are in the middle not the top
then the sweet dry intoxicating scent
of cinnamon and the spicy nuances of
carnation adds to the delectable sensibility.

The succulent notes of plum and peach
makes it's presence know and adds a primal sexuality to the already complex scent if there's a Lily of the valley
note in here i think there's no evidence of it or it's hiding because it hasn't got a chance against the heavy notes
it's the shyest of the opium family,
The drydown is the best part of the fragrance Coconut starts the drydown
with it's tropical sweetness then it becomes dark and woody with tolu balsam
dry sandalwood with it's fiery aspects
makes it assertive and the deepest most
finest Resinous woods of Frankincense
and myrrh Opoponox and benzoin.

an earthy drydown of Patchouli
Warm Amber civet for the animalistic qualities and patches of musk for a bit
of masculine undertones and a wisp of mysterious incense.

Opium conjures an image of an 1930's
Shanghai speakeasy with half circular doors Burgundy in color and inside are gold beaded curtains hanging nonchalant
from the celling the lighting is of dark red like your in a boudoir everyone is
half lidded from the smoke of opium
hallucination and laughing American Sailors leaning towards the table while
an attractive girl dances to an sad ballad of Billie Holliday while the
gangters mistresses and them do some illegal bribes.

Opium is not a Ingénue scent or a scent
for good girls this is an scent if you want to walk on the wild side.

rithacha
rithacha

For years I've hated Opium with a passion as fiery as the juice in the bottle. Yesterday, a switch flipped in me and I now crave a bottle.

It was an unusually chilly evening, and I was alone at home having some fun. It started with painting my lips in the darkest red I owned. Then donning a black bandage dress. Then a thick black wool coat. Then black stilleto heels (because the ensemble looked strange without them). Then burning a few cinnamon candles. If you've ever played with your inner vamp, you know exactly the mood I was going for.

But when deciding on a fragrance, there was nothing exactly right in my wardrobe. I wanted something that exploded like an atomic bomb, smoked and smouldered, radiating waves upon waves of pure buring scorching heat. The sensation you get with the first 5 minutes of an Opium flanker, which trails off into something weaker.

Now I understand the magic of Opium. One drop, and it smells like my skin is burning! So lovely, the unmatched heat that this generates. There is absolutely nothing else like this in strength and warmth. The cinnamon, spices, carnation, and sandalwood doesn't lose intensity, but develops over the hours in surprising waves of heat and sound.

I want this powerful gorgeous perfume for heat this fall/winter. I'm finally ready to appreciate this unique beauty.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I finally got to try this classic today in EDT form.

At first all I could smell was pepper, and quite a lot of it. It abraded my throat and gave me the coughs. There was more to the opening but I just couldn't focus well enough. A sudden association with a rich liquer I have smelt DID swiftly grace my consciousness but it escaped before I could discover its secret. I am thinking possibly Grand Marnier??? It will drive me crazy till the end of time.

The softening of the perfume is very welcome and a certain peachy softness starts to infilatrate the overwhelming spiciness and brings it back to a more attainable level. As the drydown progresses more vanilla comes forth to sweeten & caress. The sweeter it is the more palatable the spices become.

I do not consider this to smell 'old' so much as ancient - like discovering Aladdin's cave, shadowy & dusty, filled with exotic spices, resins, dried flowers, persian carpets, golden coins and magic. It is certainly quite an experience.

For me however, it is just too overwhelming. I find it difficult to interact with Opium. It is such a behemoth, so ponderously larger than life, that it is like I am 'wearing' another personality. One of me is more than enough thank you!

guest_In_love
guest_In_love

It smells like sex, - that's what my brother says.

birdbrain45
birdbrain45

I remember when this was released in '77 my girlfriends and I had to have it. Loved it and still have the original talc (battered box from many moves) so I can still have a sniff every now and then. I don't like to revisit perfumes as I like to keep my memories where they belong. One of the best spicy frag and great for eve but use with caution!

Contessa01
Contessa01

I have tried and tried again to like this but I just cant. while I love other powerful fragrances (number 5) this just smells really dated to me. To those who love it keep loving it!! :)

StephD
StephD

Maybe it's just my generation, but this smells sooo outdated, and reminds me of old women! (no offense to anyone who wears this). it smells so strong, heavy, sickening. i can't understand how it would smell 'erotic' and 'sexual'. i picture women in their 50s who try to get noticed by men.

reading the comments, it makes me fascinated by this scent... and everytime i go to my local store, i smell Opium and try to find something remarkable in it... but i always fail. maybe that era is over, and we've grown an appreciation for more fruity, gourmand scents, i don't know. it's too bad, i wish i could understand this scent.

MissLola
MissLola

I've tested today the EDT and EDP, I bought the EDP, last longer, en this is a parfume that has to be strong, it give you power.

skitten
skitten

Opium is devine. There is really nothing that smells like it, except Roberto Cavalli's Oro has tried to, but alas no staying power and is not as warm as Opium. Have had many compliments wearing this from strangers and friends. Is worth every cent, perfectly blended together with a transporting power to places you can only dream of. Oriental, spicy, not too sweet, rich and inviting. Love it always.

swenada
swenada

Oh Gosh!!!!!! hahahahah I remember this fragrance. Growing up, my mom used to wear this and while sitting in the car being driven to school I would not be able to breathe nd I would be eager to get to school just so that I can get away from that horrid toxic suffocating smell.... opening the car door at my school was the greatest experience ever!!!! I truly honestly HATE this fragrance and would rather sit at the rear end of any gassy animal anyday.

This scent was waaaaaaaaaaaay too strong but I am happy to see it here cause it'll help steer me away from scents I hate. Now I know it's category is oriental spicy.

egyptian_beauty99
egyptian_beauty99

Yeah..Shocked at the good reviews..But not for me too warm and spicy, can pass for men's if you ask me.

Nicole79
Nicole79

Opium...a "legendary" fragrance...everybody knows it, have it or had it....
Not easy to forget, weare or love !
Very rich oriental and strong...so strong ...the sillage is great and the staying power...lasts for "ever" ..;)
I can't say I like it, i can't wear it , i feel sick after a while..:(
Also...i find it outdated and a bit "vulgar" :(

I am looking on the notes and i think i could wear it IF, it wouldn't contain lilly and coconut !
I hate lilly or coconut in perfumes !
Obsession, Calvin Klein...is very similar to Opium in my opinion.

Hmmm...this is a fragrance that men can also wear !

guest_Maria_Kor
guest_Maria_Kor

2 kittymoon
Yeah, I agree with your comparison with hippy! This perfume is so bohemian, sexy and hot :)) I love it so badly!

kittymoon
kittymoon

If just found a tester to refresh my memories on that scent and sprayed it on. I think insence straight away, Hippy Parties and herbal cigarettes ;) And I whilst I'm sniffing my arm I'm reading zvonicia's review saying: "Like bees got mistaken and collected honey in bottles of motor oil." And I think that's the best description ever! I see an old stinking rickety vw van full of hippies driving through the streets singing "If you're going to San Francisco..." Mmmmmmh ....

meisha

The very first perfume I owned during my mid-teens. First bf gift. Too bad the edp is not being sold anymore. Truly a classic.

honeydeyoung
honeydeyoung

timeless a warm safe place for me . dislike smelling it on others .Has joined me on so many winter days and nights

selinum28
selinum28

This is the best perfume I have ever known. I love it at every stage, because Opium evolves, it doesn't decay as most perfums actually do. I sometimes use it to keep entertained while trying to sleep, instead of reading or watching something probably much less interesting than Opium. I never wear it in company and I don't like to smell it on anyone else either. Nature should have created some place or being smelling like this, maybe a Magnolia flower... I don't agree with the idea that age, status, etc. can make this appropriate to any woman; and I just hate the commercial with Linda Evangelista, not because of the model, but because of the approach. Better a simple marigold than something like this.

Zsuzsanna
Zsuzsanna

It is my aunt's winter time parfume. For the summer she wears O de Lancome.
What's interesting there is really some similarity. Both of them are smoky scents.

fanny
fanny

This was my first big perfume and I was quite addicted. For practically decades it was my signature scent, night and day, even early morning!
You should just try the bodyproducts: it is almost fresh, unutterable lovely.
Every now and then i long back to it. But it has ties to a past that is definitely over.
I've tried to replace it by numbers of others and finally sort of succeeded: Parfum d'Hermes, Elixer des Merveilles, Black Orchid, Nuits Indiennes, L'Arte di Gucci, Le Bain, Le Baiser du Dragon...

Still, Opium will allways have its own Unique Quality.

Edit january 2012:
Finally I found the right replacement: Ambre Sultan, thanks Serge

nyoka
nyoka

this is one of the deepest,sexiest,most smoldering fragran.fall,winterce ive smelled.no,,,u cant bath in it,it is like all precious things,a tiny bit brings hrs of the aromas of the gods fall,winter,spring or fall its equally great.just depends on how u apply it.sometimes i put a tiny spray on my decolette,and put my lighter ones over it.makes them last,and its my little scret.

eilismaireg

My mums perfume for 25 years. I cant wear it myself as its so distinctly 70's/80's and individual. I like heady perfume but this is migraine-worthy. I applaud any woman under 35 who wears it as she's obviously unique- or maybe just didn't smell it on everybody in 1980.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

What a gorgeous perfume. Reminds me of the sexy, classy, affluent, older woman I know I will be when over 50! Ironically, this was my signature scent in high school and the boy I had my first passionate affair with, loved it on me...He used to tell me frequently (in his limited high-school boy-speak way), "you smell gooood." Yeah.

rdoonanuk
rdoonanuk

I used to borrow this from my Mum when I was a teenager for a night out. It was so strong - used to last foreever on my clothes and skin! Now I'm older and wiser I've tried a little dab today and I'm surprised that it's not overwhelming me at all. I like the richness of it but it's probably a bit too complex for me to buy a whole bottle. Agree that it's a classic though as it's definitely original.

soniamcalear

I have two bottles of 1.7 oz to trade with this scent, one is summer and the other is original scent (no boxes). I would sure like to have a vintage bottle of Halston classic before they diluted it like they do now. Like this stuff but it not for my skin type, too dark and very long lasting!

claudia_23
claudia_23

i love to wear opium when i'm on theatre or in an elengant restaurant. i think it suits that kind of ocasions

bronstein

I just took a deep breath and I wish to add one thing: This one smells like it was forbidden. Beware - you might even get hooked.

Shyn's Release
Shyn's Release

Oh my goodness I used to love Opium.It was like the best Oriental ever.It introduced to me by a lady I worked for she wore it as her signature fragrance.I found this to be so exotic and so irrestible.I used to only wear Opium and Posion.But, now for me this is too heavy way too cloying.What happened to Opium it feels like it changed.I find it too loud for me its a shame this is a classic but not one I can wear anymore.

bronstein

This may smell old-fashioned, we are not used to this kind of heavy stuff any more... Never mind, the stunning ad from circa 2000 featuring a naked Sophie Dahl is unforgettable. This legendary ad alone makes the scent a classic.

LenaBel
LenaBel

Have you ever smelled opium incense which they sell in indian shops? well this is what mostly YSL Opium smells like to me. Spicy, heady, incensey, very oriental. It also has this 'old school perfume' note in it.
When I smell it I imagine a stunning oriental woman, dressed in a black silk gown, resting on a bunch of silky pillows and smoking opium with a long old pipe.
This fragrance is definetely not for everyone, maybe not many will be able to pull it off. An oriental classic, breeze of the 70s.
P.S. I smelled the EDT version.

preciouspetal
preciouspetal

Not nice, it smells medicinal with a hint of old tights and sweat.
I love his other perfumes but there's something very unpleasant about this one.

zvoncica
zvoncica

Classics like Opium are greatly appreciated by well trained noses and people who know how to distinct mainstream from masterpiece.

I imagine women wearing Opium on train station in the middle of 1920`s, its freezing winter and snow. She is wearing long fur coat and black leather gloves. With pale skin and red hair. The train arrives and steam covers her entirely. But you can sense the spicy sweet aroma, like mixture of dozens fruits seconds before transforming itself in alcohol liquid enriched with cinnamon. The smell of steam contributes to utterly spicy, sour and hard vetiver, benzoin and incense notes. Like bees got mistaken and collected honey in bottles of motor oil.

If you’re not prepared for this stay away, if you are: bon voyage!

soniamcalear

Very very strong and heady scent. If you dont like strong scents, better stay away from this one! Its dark and deep like Cinnabar by Este Lauder. I used to like it but I can't stand it anymore-don't know why. I don't even use Cinnabar anymore either, just the powerful scents seem to have gone out of my style completely and now im into fruity scents now.

deeannek
deeannek

I really used to like this one quite a bit but now I can't get near it without getting a migraine. I don't know if my taste changed or the formula did but it just completeley overwhelms me now.

peewee
peewee

I love Opium, one the most wonderful perfumes among the dozens I have ever tried. Strong, erotic, misterious , makes you feel noticed . Undoubtedly one of my favorite fragrances.

Persephone
Persephone

First 30 minutes - a fresh and zesty punch of spices, and right after Opium goes straight to its dry down skipping any middle stages and stays there forever.. literally! Smokey, primal and darkly erotic. Makes me want to wear black laced stoсkings, scarlet lipstick and turn the lights down. Now, this is what I call a perfume! Something what has a deep profound impact. (my guilty pleasure is loud perfumes and this is probably the king of them) Unfortunately I can also see how I'm getting tired of it in the future. There's something about this perfume similar to your absolutely favorite candy: once you ate too much you can't even see it anymore. The trick with Opium is not to overdose - in application - this is when you'll experience its true magic and in use - so you can still enjoy your candy. I wear it in EDT, gosh I've never experienced an edt that strong! I don't have any bad associations with the 80's, - it's a timeless classic in my opinion.

Kittycat
Kittycat

A perfume to wow somebody :-) The classic Oriental ! Sexy, sexy, sexy ! Be careful to overdose.

moonflower143
moonflower143

this is also my first perfume from ysl..i love wearing this during night outs,for me its really sexy and lasts a very long time...

katrin__
katrin__

This smell is a masterpiece of perfume. I don't know why, but for me it's smells like pepsi. At first I smelled it when I was at school, now I think that anybody can find a piece of himself in it irrespective of age.

Sugar419
Sugar419

Applied with a gentle touch, I think this perfume is intoxicating. I keep seeing it being mentioned for older women, but I disagree. As long as you don't bathe in it, I think this is a seductive fragrance perfect for women of all ages. It's not going to be for everyone's nose and while I usually gravitate more towards the florals and fruity scents, I think this one is wickedly sexy. It's definitely on my "I want" list!

billur
billur

Just Can't stand this perfume.
A very difficult one.

Oh, how I love spicy orientals from back in the day!

Back then perfumers knew what they were doing. They knew how to create a sensual fragrance that would last decades. They understood the art of perfumery.

Opium is one of those breath-taking scents. A seductive blend of spices, smokey incense and floral notes inter-mixed with subtle fruits. A scent that requires an acquired taste for sure, but one that you can hardly push aside.

The woman that wears Opium is very stylish and as some might agree, exotic. There's an element to Opium that is rather dirty and shocking, like the scent of a heavy smoker or the scent that lingers in the air after a night of passion. While some will find Opium repulsive, others will love its blatantly sexual appeal.

For an EDT, Opium lasts and lasts, so I assume that both the pure parfum and EDP could possibly last on the skin for days, (that is if you didn't shower). I highly recommend.

brown sugar
brown sugar

a classic.took some getting used to back then but now i just realise i was way too young to wear and appreciate it-15 yrs...now i understand it has a timeless elegance.makes me think of a french woman smoking a cigarette and a geisha at the same time!how quirky is that?

truffles
truffles

Yeucchh. I cannot abide anything that smells of cloves being anywhere near me. I don't know if this actually has clove in it or if it is the clove-like carnation that I am picking up but to me it just smells like one big clove. So if, like me, you are a strange cat-human who finds the smell of cloves the most dirty, repulsive smell on earth, steer well clear of this perfume!

Kate_Perfume_Addict
Kate_Perfume_Addict

Classic, perfect for mature women.
Opium (EDP) is my grandma's signature scent. Smells good on her and it lasts A LOT (especially on clothes, lasts for a week!) I like it, although it's too strong for my type..

TigerLady
TigerLady

This was my mother's favorite in her latter days, and I found it too heavy. Decades later, I began to like it, but as I used it, again I found it to be too heavy. It's the Oriental spices that I guess I find a bit overwhelming. I prefer musky fragrances, but not sweet ones. There is a rather large spray bottle I bought at an airport on a trip last year when I realized I had gone off without packing any fragrance! It will take me the next ten years to use it up, if it doesn't go bad before then (but I keep it refrigerated).

Snoo
Snoo

This is such a nose-catcher! When a woman wears Opium and she walks by, you can't help but notice her.
It is definetly an evening perfume.
Very recognisable.
I only wear it a couple of times per year, but it does the trick.

dina

It's a very heavy one, like Poison and old classic fragrances. I usually spray it in the air and walk in the mist, otherwise, it turns badly one my skin. This is my workaround to enjoy such a spicy and beautiful fragrance.

moonruby
moonruby

This reminds me of a stereotypical far East Asian lady clothed in exquisite silk who doesnt reveal her true intentions to anybody, and leaves men wondering after her.

Very Upperclass, and erotic - with class.

guest_Iris
guest_Iris

I have a very sensitive sense of smell and some reviewers here have commented on the overpowering smell of Opium. Remember, a little goes a long way. I only spray once after showering in the morning and it goes well with my body chemistry producing a very light, feminine and sensual aroma. Also, I don't associate this perfume with the "old lady smell" because I'm only in my late 20s and had many compliments.

Michele716
Michele716

Love it! I feel so elegant when I wear it and it has been my signature scent on and off for many years. I've tried other Oriental fragrances, but to me, nothing else comes close. However, if it doesn't work with your chemistry it can smell quite "off". A little goes a long way and I'd love to have the EDP.

kastehelmi

I have to update that I still like the scent, but I now want to avoid wearing any fragrances with patchouli. This is well-done, but I bet it would smell stunning without the patchouli, and I would trade my bottle in a heartbeat for a comparable fragrance without patchouli. I remember loving shalimar when I spritzed myself from the tester, but I wold have to smell it again.....

taydev
taydev

ick! so eighties and it smells horrible to me. kind of reminds me of big red gum for some reason and i hate that smell! an older guy introduced me to it and he loved it but its too spicy for me. not my cup of tea

deannagraham
deannagraham

The most overwheling scent ever. This is the scent you wear when you want to overpower everyone else in the room.

MoietToi
MoietToi

My Grandmother has this scent. It smells absolutley beautiful on her very warm and classy but extremely strong. So I got to try it on and it did not suit me aswell as it suited my Grandmother. On me it turned out smelling very strong and it gave me a headache. All I could smell was burned cinnamon. But I think this scent is absolutley beautiful on the right person but not for me.

Kristel
Kristel

warm ,enveloping ,sexy, it transports you away from the everyday and the mundane.glamour personified.this is a scent you put on to go to bed

TheBritishEccentric
TheBritishEccentric

Opium is one of the all time greats of oriental perfumes. Used with caution it is sensational, sexy and seductive. Too much and you will see people run for the nearest exit!! I adore Opium, YSL perfumes are all beautiful but Opium was his finest hour! I wore this in the 80s then had a break from it for over 20 years. Treated myself to a bottle a few months ago and fell in love all over again! Without fail I get positive comments when wearing it. Still a star!!

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

A timeless masterpiece of oriental spicy fragrances.Smells always wonderful..

Tarya
Tarya

Oriental masterpiece. Fantastico! Warm, sensual, powerfull.

desmondorama
desmondorama

I’ve been obsessed with the whole concept of “Opium” since it’s launch in 1977 – which epitomised “The Disco Years” and the adoration of Yves Saint Laurent as a fashion icon of the era.

It took me decades before I was able to buy myself a bottle of this ‘Oriental Magic’ and I now wear it with pride and reminiscence of a bygone and magnificent Zeitgeist.

As a male in my 50’s I should really be wearing the male version of this fragrance, but I’m more attracted to the sexy exotica of this Opium.

I do not recommend it for younger women (or men) but definitely to the mature and worldly person who understands the mystique and feeling of what this perfume brings.

afraafra
afraafra

Great drydown, great sillage and flowery opening, in the same vein as Amouage Gold and Rochas Femme.

nesca1502
nesca1502

Not for me at all! I don't like its strong smell, I read on another review that it smells like a man's fragrance and I agree! I'm just not the type to wear so spicy and dry fragrances, my skin chemistry just don't go well with them so I prefer floral or fresh fragrances.

kastehelmi

I love it, it embodies my idea of what an "oriental" fragrance should smell like...Rich, sophisticated, sexy...Even if it is "mature" I don't think it's "old-lady" at all! I smell the sandalwood, and amber, two notes I really love. But it's balanced, and I see the long list of notes give it that distinct body that makes it so I can't smell the individual notes so much. I agree that it is a stronger scent-I receive oompliments whenever I wear it, but I know when I've applied too much, and I would worry about suffocating people when I dance close-embrace tango if I laid it on too heavy. Nevertheless, one of my favorite scents ever.

morgataria
morgataria

I most wear it in the winter.I like when people are brave enough to put on strong and heavy oriental fragrance like Opium in this nowadays-light-perfumed-world=) Sadly this scent is underestimated.Don´t judge Opium after the first sniff!Not one of my absoluty favorites but I think it´s truly a perfume-art.

riri
riri

Very bold, classic and elegant perfume.
Sadly, got bunch of tissue paper that similar to it scent :(

EvelynDFrech
EvelynDFrech

I keep coming back to it. The best and most interesting perfume ever made. Luxurious and elegant, sexy and exciting. For evening or interesting day-meetings. This is my perfume. Together with Opium eyeshadow and Yves Saint Laurent powder no 1, that is me. I'm 25.
The Poudre Satinée pour les Corps is also fantastic. The scent is much lighter in the Body Moisturizer.
The wonderful design makes you want to collect all of the bottles, the candles and oils.

I have not yet tried the other Opium fragrances, I will enjoy trying them but I'm not sure I will like them.

minimalist
minimalist

very few scents make me sigh.Opium does. A masterpiece imo

Cris_Venesza
Cris_Venesza

Spicy and full of power , not my type, only 2puff and you will be all day smelling nice . I have periods when i like this perfume ...i only spray 2 puffs to feel good ...more is too intoxicating

mellybee
mellybee

It is marvelous! A truly oriental spicy indeed. It made me sneeze after the first sniff. Later it sweetened and became a beautiful warm fragrance. To be quite frank I couldn't detect the individual notes, this is a well balanced composition with the harmony of the notes. I feel confident and sexy by wearing this. Opium is most suitable for those romantic nights.

eljayebee
eljayebee

One of the few perfumes that my nose doesn't get used to and 'block out' after the first few minutes.If you put this on you will be treated to wonderful wisps of the beautiful strong scent every time you turn your head.One of two perfumes(the other being Ciara) that ALWAYS bring comments and questions from strangers every time I wear them.

snobuni77
snobuni77

I haven't smelled this perfume in ages...since I was about 13 (Im now 29) I kind of forgot what it smelled like.I knew that I hated it when I was younger
so
being that tastes change, I gave it anoy spray tonight.My first reaction was .."UGGGGG" but I think I would have had that reaction no matter what it smelled like because I was pre Ugg'ing' it if you know what I mean.I was expecting it to smell bad so that's what I got.
BUT
I was wrong.
This has the most unique spices & aromas all blended into one that I couldn't stop smelling my sleeve all night.I don't know if it smelled so good because I had Hanae Mori on underneath it & thats what made the dry down was extra yummy
or
if it was solely the Opium that dried down like that.I am thinking it was solely the Opium.
It reminds me a lil bit of the Original Poison with the oriental spices they have in common.I haven't smelled Poison in a while either but Ironically I use to LOVE it.

I am very glad I tested this again & I am now beginning my search for a bottle of my own

honeypoppyseed
honeypoppyseed

Who hasn't smelt opium? If you haven't, it's almost like you haven't been properly schooled in perfume. It's a pretty classic scent, and a heavy weight at that, no one doesn't know when it walks in the room. I find that the only issue with this is that it can be distracting if you, your outfit, your vibe, just isn't totally inline with it's essences. It's the classic oriental, and all the classic notions of oriental seem to derive from this scent. For me this scent reminds me of independent women in europe, who have children and work and move about without any excuses or help. They are movers about their fields and scenes and enjoy life and independence. This scent brings back memories of my beloved aunts and mentors, and I can't wait till it becomes an appropriate scent for me (I'm in my 20s, so it's a bit silly for me to wear it).

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

This is THE "Prima Donna" of all perfumes. It is so overpowering that it chokes my throat. Very 80ies Joan Collins, think huge shoulderpads, think powerhungry (business)women, think opera divas, think excess galore.

I actually hate the scent but admit it is a classic and fits perfectly to a rich bitch red haired mature single late 40ies plus woman who's got all the money but is desperate for a man....get the picture?

katyas
katyas

My ex-husband bought an Opium gift set for me the 1st Xmas after we were married. I like the scent - which is warm, spicy and very sexy - but it is SO strong ... I have to be uber-careful about how I put it on - just the tiniest of squirts - so that it doesn't overpower me. Plus the scent clings to my clothing until the next time I do laundry, so I know that I'll either a) want to wear the item of clothing and use Opium again or b) just wash it so I can use some other fragrance.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

The eternal sizzler! It's for tigresses; Bambi had better stay home. Mandarin and jasmine and pepper top notes, fresh without being sweet or soapy followed by a combination of cinnamon and vanilla that doesn't default to perfume-come-bakery. Where labdanum honeys it up, pepper cuts across, where oppoponax makes it warn and gives it a lazy seductive buzz, some elemental charm - woods? sharp herbs? - wakes the senses.

This is a very seductive perfume indeed, long lasting, for me more provocative at the end than at the beginning; perfect for evening and winter. Why don't I wear it? For the same reason I don't wear Angel; everybody wears it. Also, on some diva level, I want a pretty bottle, and the old one doesn't look special enough. I look to the new version, the Opiium Elixir Voluptueux, with its new design and glass stopper, to renew a sense of class and glamour.

anca.ionescu
anca.ionescu

I like to wear it when I have exams.It gives me strenght and a sense of power.
I would not use it for any other occasion,but to impress the audience and feel powerfull.

juliaferron
juliaferron

I think I smelled Opium once 12 years ago and I can VERY DISTINCTLY remember the scent. Deffinitely not for most people, me being one of them. I wouldn't even come close to it without feeling faint and nauseated.

d dolce vitta
d dolce vitta

My first parfum!!! this parfum belong to my mother who does'nt like oriental parfums, so i cat it . And in my opinion is very clasic and the notes of heart still all day long. Ideal for a strong a more that a woman.

gravdal
gravdal

this is one of my favorite perfumes. i first smelled it when i was a kid on my mother and tried it on myself then which was horrible on me...too strong, and too complicated... but then i got older and turned into a woman it started to smell great on me and i just love it so much afterward.... real classic.

azuriiita
azuriiita

wow... its a dark mysterious fragrance. Elegant, classic (this is a recognizable attribute) The most dense scent that i did smell until now. Extremely recharged.
But, for some reason i can't endure Opium. To me is dark, repulsive, smell strongest sweet nauseating smoking like marihuana. Or something like walk in a old store of old clothes saturated whit a lot of scents in a disgusting way...It gives me a headache...
However, i am reading comments about differences between EDP, EDT and Perfume... i don't know...

Carla
Carla

A roborant oriental mix creating a dark mysterious drama. A definite classic I use to wear until it became a fragrance owned by everyone.

dina

Strong and dark fragrance. However, its not sultry or seductive. It smells a little masculine which makes it wearable at the office.
I read in many forums that it's of the 10 most sold perfumes over the world.

BlackAmberMoon

I love the way Opium smells hours after it's been applied. Initially, it's too harsh (unless you have the pure parfum), but many hours later? Ooh-La-La! Mystical and magical potion. It's best to wait for a final judgment until you've smelled the drydown. Very few perfumes compare to this beauty.

Suzy
Suzy

My favorite fragrance since the late 70's and which is my signature scent. It is very strong, so I use only a little of the perfume or use the body cream. It really lasts and I love the spicy, warm scent that I find clinging to scarves and jackets long after I have worn them.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

The king of perfumes! I LOVE this perfume. Being a fan of oriental, strong, spicy perfumes, this is one of my favorites. I have a lot of scents, but I always keep a bottle of this handy.

Malegria
Malegria

A precious, precious one.A mesmerizing and intoxicating fragrance, it has a wandering soul. I can easily see it on a lady dressed in velvet, and on a Bohemian exotic dancer.But - it creates some boundaries for it`s mistress, it makes her to act and do everything to be worthy of this heaven sent elixir.

The combination of spices, woods and flowers in Opium is superb and can`t be compared to any other creation!I adore the base, it is sultry, warm and slightly oily.Opium is absolutely gorgeous in pure perfume, if used sparingly. Other concentrations just won`t do - they don`t capture the magic of this unique fragrance.

PR
PR

mm..wasn't impressed with this one, I tried it twice, nothing happened , nothing clicked..maybe I need a tester and to use it for some period of time to appreciate it, I don't know

rdecelasa
rdecelasa

This is simply my favourite winter scent. It is something magic and mysterious about it. Usually I wear it only for myself, when i am at home and the smell of this perfume it is like real opium ( i imagine :) to me. Im addicted to this perfume.

SheVampire
SheVampire

Jean Amic and Jean-Louis Sieuzac made a master piece. Beautiful oriental classic which I love since I was teenage.So sexy, so provocative and elegant.It's spicy, it's strong, but at the same time it's so sophisticated and classy.One of my favorites.

bulyov4e
bulyov4e

I have an edp of Opium which was meant for my mother. She rejected it and I was lucky to gain the right to dive into his cloud.
Carnation and cinnamon are the main notes that I feel with every fibre of my body. MMM, delicious like Christmas cookies! However, I wouldn't say it is sticky! Not overpowering for me, though it was not my love in the teen ages;0) The fine powdery trace that it leaves on my skin overnight is as comfortable as a cashmere scarf! My finding for the winter!

girlsrideharleys2
girlsrideharleys2

I wear this exclusively in the winter. And tend to wear Opium 'Fleur de Shanghai' in the summer. Very incency and spicy. The scent lasts forever. My husband doesnt care for the 'stronger' scents but, thats okay, I wear it for me!

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

I'm really surprised with these many good reviews!!!!
I'm just going to say : When I sniffed it, I thought it was a fragrance for men & I can't convince myself with the opposite AT ALL !!

Allegra
Allegra

My mom loves this stuff, it's been her favourite perfume since the 80's. I find it too spicy, strong and intense as I like more subtle fragrances. And consider myself yet too young to wear it, it is a signature scent for mature, self-confident women who stand their ground.

guest_Ruke
guest_Ruke

My mom use it to her signature sense. I think this one is so sexy and feminine. Top note is very strong but wait a minite the heartnote is so classic,and basenote is very warm.

I think this one suit for 30up or adult. Because I spays its on my skin when its dry I don't like.

dianachif
dianachif

Opulent and sexy. Ususally I wear it at the sofisticated parties.

Nuppu
Nuppu

Great oriental classic, spicy, rich, dark, sexy and opulent. And strong, so I prefer wear it in body products and then get subtle (rare word with opium), not owerpowering scent.

benzippo
benzippo

An icon, a legend and a classic.
A hard act to follow to earn such status right?
So no matter what are said about Opium, these remain the fact!!!

For those who cannot stand it, it simply means that they have yet to reach the pinnacle of opulent in life....

guest_marijana
guest_marijana

this is legendary perfume, but very strong even in edt version. It easily gives you headache, so it is highly recommended to use it in very small quantities...

rebella
rebella

My favouriteperfume when I was a teenager, in the 80`s. But unfortunatly I cant stand it anymore, it gives me headache. But still I like the overkill with this perfume, it has totally rejected the term "less i moore". :)

caribou55313
caribou55313

Meditatively beautiful in parfum form, otherwise the sillage can be quite intense. Very striking composition; love the oppononax note!

pimpnazt
pimpnazt

The smell is a bit overwhelming and makes me think of what bitter old ladies smoking cigarettes waiting for their long lost loves to come back smell like -- bathed in the scent. It's not an attractive scent to me, at all.

elgab89
elgab89

One of the most revolutionary orientals at the time, now a classic. Gorgeous perfume, very classy. For evening.

2007

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent 3.49 out of 5 based on 3156 ratings and 428 user reviews

Cologne
Deodorant 3.4oz
OPIUM for WOMEN by Yves Saint Laurent DEODORANT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
OPIUM for WOMEN by Yves Saint Laurent DEODORANT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Eau De Toilette 1oz
Opium Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 1 oz Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging for Women
Eau De Parfum 1oz
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau de Parfum 50ml Gift Set
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau de Parfum 50ml Gift Set
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau de Toilette Natural Spray For Women, 1.6 fl oz
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau de Toilette Natural Spray For Women, 1.6 fl oz
Opium Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 1.6 oz Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging for Women
58.00 GBP
Sephora.com, Inc.
Yves Saint Laurent Opium 1 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
Yves Saint Laurent Opium 1 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
Eau De Toilette 3oz
Opium Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
OPIUM for WOMEN by Yves Saint Laurent EDT SPRAY 3 OZ NEW PACKAGING TESTER
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau de Toilette 90ml
OPIUM for WOMEN by Yves Saint Laurent EDT SPRAY 3 OZ NEW PACKAGING
OPIUM for WOMEN by Yves Saint Laurent EDT SPRAY 3 OZ NEW PACKAGING
Eau De Toilette 3oz
Opium Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging for Women
Opium Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 1.6 oz Eau De Parfum Spray New Packaging for Women
Eau De Parfum
Yves Saint Laurent 'Opium' Eau de Toilette Spray
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau De Parfum Spray New Packaging 50ml 1.7oz
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau De Parfum Spray New Packaging 50ml 1.7oz
Eau De Toilette 4oz
Opium Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent, 4 oz Eau De Toilette New Packaging for Women
Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau De Toilette Spray New Packaging 90ml 3oz
Yves Saint Laurent 'Opium' Prestige Set 190 Value
Yves Saint Laurent 'Opium' Prestige Set 190 Value
Yves Saint Laurent 'Opium' Prestige Set 190 Value One Size
Yves Saint Laurent 'Opium' Prestige Set 190 Value One Size

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Opium fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Opium, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Opium by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Opium by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.