Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Opium Fleur de Shanghai Yves Saint Laurent for women

Opium Fleur de Shanghai Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

Opium Fleur de Shanghai by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Opium Fleur de Shanghai was launched in 2005. Top notes are orange, mandarin orange and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, star jasmine, magnolia and myrrh; base notes are amber, patchouli and vanilla.

Orange Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Carnation Star Jasmine Magnolia Myrrh

Amber Patchouli Vanilla

Opium Fleur de Shanghai Fragrance Reviews

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I'll always be grateful to my friends at Perfume Addicts for recommending Fleur de Shanghai for those who find Opium too strong or headshoppy, which definitely includes me. This is a happy Oriental, a smooth oriental, not exactly leaning to tropical white flowers, but a softened scent which isn't exactly linear, but will not desert you. I would compare it a bit in strength with Goutal's Songes, except that Songes has a slightly greener, or wetter, less oriental feel to it. It's also gentler than Le Must de Cartier, and a bit similar to E by Princess Elizabeth, a long-discontinued perfume.

leathermountain
leathermountain

Resinous root beer with wafts of powder. It's not too sweet, giving it the balance that Goutal's Myrrhe Ardente lacks. I think it's lovely, and this is coming from a person who doesn't like a lot of vanilla scents. In overall mood and in this balance, Opium Fleur de Shanghai reminds me strongly of Tommi Sooni's Eau I, although the balancing is done in a different way.

Симба
Симба

I have these limits-Imperial little more sweet, feel the taste of apricot. Shanghai seems more balsamic-refreshing. But these differences are felt only in a parallel comparison on both hands. Blindfold them hard to distinguish all limits similar to the classic result.

glorious1
glorious1

I am an Opium fan and always will be. If I was to ask for a perfume to be buried with it would be the vintage edt. I can pull if off very well and know how to apply it. The parfum is divine imho and I will never be without either one.

I must say I have not tried all the flankers but Fleur de Shanghai is unbelievable! Lovely beyond words. I live in South Florida (SW Florida) Naples. Needless to say, it is warm here. I have always said that Opium is wonderful in warm weather! It blooms. Fleur de Shanghai is wonderful in the summer. I adore it.

I would also love to try Opium Fleur de Imperiale. If anybody has tried both of these and would like to review the differences I'd love to read it.

To anybody out there who is an OPIUM lover.....here's to you! clink! <3

I have Opium Fleur de Shanghai!! Fabulous!! It's been discontinued but love it!! Ahhhhh.....it is easier to wear than the vintage.......and fabulous no matter what the season!! However.......nothing compares to the full strength vintage Opium! I will wear it regardless!

I've always been a fan of the original Opium (1977) for its distinguishable, spicy scent. Despite the fact that I found it a little dated and cloying at times, I cannot see myself growing to love nor understand the now reformulated and re-packaged Opium, which is now only a shadow of what it once was, and a complete waste of space, in my opinion. Making the Opium flankers a permanent fixture on the market may have been a better move, because Opium Fleur de Shanghai certainly deserves more recognition.

This flanker is a softer interpretation of Opium, with a touch more citrus in the opening and a smoother, vanillary drydown. The spices are still present in this composition, alongside a delicious, syrupy blend of amber and myrrh.

I don't think I'd wear this during Summer, because let's be honest, Opium Fleur de Shanghai is still a rather heavy scent, but it could be applied on a nice sunny day. It's a somewhat demure oriental, with all the spicy qualities that you'd expect to find, just presented in a much softer and less offensive way.

Opium Fleur de Shanghai is not as dark as its predecessor, instead it smells quite delicate and floral on the skin. My first introduction was an blend of subtle, spiced orange and bergamot, with a refreshing hint of jasmine.

The heart takes some inspiration from the original Opium, with resinous, smoky and ambery accords, blended with rich carnation. Vanilla, both smooth and creamy, envelops the woods and spices in the drydown creating a cuddly oriental feel, nearly gourmand in nature.

Although the sillage may not pack the same punch as the original, Opium Fleur de Shanghai is still relatively strong and should be worn in moderation. However, the scent does soften ever so slightly as the fragrance develops. The longevity is looking good so far, as I write this five hours after application. It's a shame that this was a limited edition, however I believe it's still relatively easy to find online.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

A nice change in the light citrus notes in the opening. They do not last long, but they certainly give this version of Opium a special moment. The fragrance then develops into a light, clear and transparent version of Opium, with a reasonable staying power and a very delicate sillage. A nice option for warm weather or when a bigger than life perfume is not appropriate.

ReinaT
ReinaT

I love the original Opium best! It is strong, not everyone can carry it off, and you only need a little to last a lonnng time! Shanghai is a soft version of the original and to me, less floral and much less spicy. It starts off as a softer version of the original Opium, but then the dry down is abit smokey, it is still pretty and floral, but there is a definite smokiness that the original Opium does not have (on me). It starts off fresh, oriental floral and pretty, but drys down to smoke, which I don't particularly like. The perfume rebounds with the floral, but it takes hours and by then it's not worth it, because its so light I can barely smell it so I have to reapply and the whole cycle again! The bottle is pretty with the painted white flowers showing through the liquid, but for me, not worth the price. For me, I will stay with the original Opium which is part of my permanent fragrance wardrobe. I was thinking of using this as a room spray because it was too nice and expensive to toss.

sistercurare
sistercurare

First of all, let me just say that I like this perfume a lot.I never favoured Opium and some types of vanilla give me a two-hour migraine. As I collect mini perfumes I got a mini bottle and smelled it, that was it....I was branded for life. Seriously, I spray it once and get compliments from people.
I am not an expert and not much of a nose but I smell oranges and citruses as top notes and then, after 30 mins, bang it hits you, a surge of spices and smoke, not unpleasant, though. It is not dark either. A sweet sensation of warmth surrounds you, it gives you the feeling of a warm scarf. Of course, I live in Greece where it is 20'C in late November, so wearing this perfume is a big no-no on most days.
Then again I read rithacha's review and I was astonished. She mixed Fleur de Shanghai with another perfume and loved it even more. To me that was eye-opening, as I thought that mixing perfumes was like a sacrilege, a monstrosity. I wore a plain Escada signature (the green one) and tried Fleur on top,mmm... not bad. I have just found a way to wear it. My students know that I have reached school just by my new discovered scent, and find it pleasant
Thanx rithacha!
Thanx Fleur de Shanghai

rithacha
rithacha

I'll preface this by confessing that the original Opium is one of my all-time perfume dislikes. It's far too heavy and spicy for me; even on the coldest days its noisy screeches give me headaches.

But this flanker? Yes, oh yes. At its heart, Fleur de Shanghai still has that Opium prominent carnation-myrrh-patchouli smokey harshness, and I still wouldn't recommend this ashtray combination for summer. But it's much more light and versatile than the original. The citruses in the opening are brighter and the other florals slightly more pronounced. The overall feel is rounder, softer.

Fleur de Shanghai is not Opium, but it is a marvelous interpretation that does not resemble anything else on the market. One spray is enough per application. The sillage is as in-you-face as a floor-length fur and ostrich feather cloak. The climate is hot and dry. Opium fans should not be disappointed.

For me, Fleur de Shanghai is still to harsh and intense to wear alone under normal circumstances, but it layers beautifully. It adds an intense woody-smokey kick to other perfumes, like Infusion d'Iris or Givenchy Pi.

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

its a beautiful creation , complementing the legacy of Opium for sure . its actually way lighter than the original but still possessing sort of heaviness & abit thick smell like the original . u could find the unique soul of Opium in but in more modernized lighter edge-rounded way ,
certainly less spicy & smoky , more sweeter & more flowery-sunny for sure.
very good longevity but certainly shorter than the original , with powerful sillage , caution should be exercised when applying . thanks

Opium Fleur de Shanghai by Yves Saint Laurent 4.36 out of 5 based on 89 ratings and 10 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Opium Fleur de Shanghai fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Opium Fleur de Shanghai, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Opium Fleur de Shanghai by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Opium Fleur de Shanghai by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.