Designers » T-Z » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Opium Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men

Opium Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

I have it: 1042 I had it: 476 I want it: 632 My signature: 33

Opium Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Opium Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Opium Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures Opium Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men Pictures

Opium Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for men. Opium Pour Homme was launched in 1995. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Cavallier. Top notes are black currant and star anise; middle notes are galanga and pepper; base notes are tolu balsam, atlas cedar and bourbon vanilla.

Black Currant Star Anise

EddyC

sweet powerhouse!!

adyyy7
adyyy7

Longevity and sillage comparable with other niche perfumes , but too close to the women version.I find it too sweet and feminine.

Lechu
Lechu

georgequeue

Hola George, where are you from? i find 100ml opium !!

Hello there!

My bottle's available for swapping if anyone's interested.

Regards.

georgequeue

Yesterday, I wore Opium again. It lasts and projects a little bit more than I'd said at the beginning, which is good, but, to my taste, it's quite strong and cloying; it was giving me a headache.

It's a real shame that I couldn't give my heart to this fragrance; I DID really want to like it, but I think it's not for me.

Tesha91
Tesha91

I am kinda new to the world of perfumes, only had 5,6 of them, but tried about 50, 60 in the last couple of months, and two days ago, after initial spray of Opium PH EDT from tester it blew my mind instantaneously, and i didn't think for a second, i grabbed it and went towards cash register. I don't know about previous formulations but this one is amazing. It lasts 8+ hours on my skin, and i could still smell it after 13, 14 hours on my t-shirt. What amazes me the most is it's projection which is blasting all the time and it doesn't seem to settle down until 8, 9 hours. And what bout the smell which is as some of the folks below have said, it really deserves the name it bears, and surely one of the top prefumes for the price today. I can't find the EDP version, but really is it necessary.

georgequeue

My brand new bottle has just arrived!

After unsealing the box, you can feel a first blow of ground pepper; I sprayed it on my left arm 20 minutes ago, and now I can feel the black currant plus star anise and vanilla. I can also feel some tea leaves in its composition. It's an oriental scent indeed.

To me, YSL Opium Pour Homme is like a fresh mixture of Givenchy Gentleman and Animale Animale For Men, which is a very interesting, exotic blend indeed. It has surprised me because it smells like nothing I'm used to wearing. The juice is a grower, and it will take me a few days, but I'm sure I'll end up giving my heart to Opium Pour Homme!

SEPTEMBER 25TH, 2014 UPDATE:
It's a very interesting and pleasant fragrance, which stands out for being multifaceted; longevity is average (about 5-7 hours), and projection is moderate. I can smell some chamomile, too.

ShaverX
ShaverX

I wore this one night and as my girlfriend and I where about to make some sweeet lovings she says. Oh my god, what is that cologne. It smells like something i'd imagine Dog the bounty hunter would wear. Need I say more? Young men stay away. One day when your old with leathery skin you can rock this. But not yet...

libou
libou

A masterpiece, longevity in my skin + 7 hours sillage moderate but good

brandonR
brandonR

Out of all if my bottles, I struggle with this scent the most. Owning the EDT, I can not see for the life of me how anyone could wear an even more concentrated EDP of this sillage/projection beast better known as Opium, because folks let me tell you...this Dr. Jekyll don't hide. Just thinking about wearing it is almost headache inducing in itself. That being said, I like Opium. It's nowhere in the realm of a crappy, typical run of the mill mall fragrance. Opium commands respect and attention. If it could talk it would say, "Pass by me and I will crush your Aqua Di Geo puppy dog scent"!

Opium PH is very deep, very serious and very strong. Not Kouros strong, but tasteful and exotically strong. If Kouros is death by electric chair, Opium is death by a carcinogen slipped into your cocktail, only to realize the effect 5 years later with 2 weeks left to live. Opium is not for your average fragrance head. Only take the blind buy challenge if you realize that it's going to take a serious man to pull off this serious nuke of no nonsense.

Valfar
Valfar

Unique scent! I have to admit that i hesitated a lot with this fragrance. I was testing it very often, loved it a lot, but somehow i felt that it didn't fit. Eventualy, decided to finally buy it! After a few wearings i have to say that it grew a lot on me. On me, it smells amazing, and, although some complain about reformulation, this one actually really lasts and projects intensive on my skin.

The scent is intoxicating, boozy, and has a narcotic feeling with it. As weird as it sounds, when you wear it,the smells it's addictive in a narcotic way. Don't know if it's a placebo effect of the name itself, but, i do get this euphoric effect from it.

The opening is very boozy, very powerful! The black currant note at first it's kinda bourbon-ish. In the drydown becomes more powdery. Here is when the vanilla note comes in the game mixing with the boozy black currant note. Amazing combination. Addictive!

As i said, on me this one lasts more than i expected. Projects well for the first 4 hours especially if you move, you will leave a huge scent trail. After those 4 hours, projection goes down a little, but still noticeable from, let's say...elbow lenght. For longevity, i aproximate somewhere between 8-10 hours.

Overall it's an amazing fragrance. Very unique and interesting because of it's euphoric effect and addictive smell. Not yet in my top 10 but, i have the feeling that it would be soon enough, as it starts to grow a lot on me.
If you are about to try this, don't try it on paper, it works very well with the skin chemistry. You won't get that narcotic effect smelling it from the paper.

pelinkovac
pelinkovac

excellent scent, dark, oriental, elegant, festive but I lile YSL's Kouros Body, M7 and Rive Gauche a little bit more

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Bir dönem çok beğenerek kullandığım, bir süre uzak kaldığım Opium'u geçen hafta tekrar aldım. Kokuyu anlatmayı gereksiz buluyorum ancak asıl şaşkınlığı neredeyse 1 saat altında olan kalıcılığı fark edince yaşadım. Gün içinde 3-4 defa kullandıktan sonra akşam kokunun gömlek üzerinde bile kalmamış olması şaşırtıcıydı. Oysa bu parfüm kalıcılığı ile dikkat çekerdi.

zinski19901
zinski19901

For some reason this is one of the few colognes that seems to last on my skin for more than a few hours. It's a great strong scent as well. The only other few colognes that seem to last for a good amount of time on my skin are A Men, One Man Show, and Joop

hallaf
hallaf

چیز خوبی است ولی نمیدونم چرا وقتی میزنم پخش بوی کم تا متوسط و ماندگاری کمی برای من داره

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This is a classic Oriental for men. A bold spicy blast of ginger and pepper, softened by an undertone of blackcurrant, eventually dries down into a slightly powdery, vaguely balsamic meld of vanilla and wood.

At least that's what I smell on paper. Unfortunately on my skin I have found it's not so well balanced. The vanilla turns a bit like warm putty and I detect unwelcome medicinal tinges from the tolu balsam.

Definitely not as mesmorizing as the original "Opium" for women.

davna
davna

Wear this Opium, come out and Boom! Dahsyat fresh nya

alpa
alpa

discuntinud?

toto453
toto453

A old fragrance but it is really a well done fragrance ! As for many of YSL fragrance, this one is powering and male signatured ! I like very much patchouli, and this one offer a spicy patchouli, both fresh and hot ! Really well done ! The weakness for me is there is a little bit too tobacco for me.

Molko
Molko

I like this fragrance, reminds me of Egoiste, cause of the timeless and unisex feeling on my skin.
I think it's so much better and wearable than the feminine version, I don't feel this old, but mature. Soft, fresh, little bit sweet balsamic and spicy, not offensive, sillage is moderate, for me it's not enough from this great smell, I need huge cloud:) Not a cold weather smell, I think, because it's enough fresh, rather spring-autumn and daytime. I recommend strongly for both gender and who likes soft spicy scents.
Smell: 10/10
Projection: 8/10
Lasting: 9/10

alexanderthegreat
alexanderthegreat

no words are needed to be spoken, the things are so very very simple with this stuff......it's just a fucking amazing. No even close similarities up to now, OPIUM was, OPIUM is, OPIUM will be the greatest male frag ever....

RUDOLFO512

I had not worn Opium pour Homme for a while. I forgot how wonderful this fragrance is. From the beginning to the end it just makes me feel so happy. I really do not like spicy fragrances, but this one is just right. Not strong at all and the dry down is sweet and gentle. I especially like the vanilla and anise notes. Very masculine and sexy.

giorgio 223
giorgio 223

glamour in a bottle!!!!!!!!!! fantastic fragrance!rich,deep,elegant, like everything from ysl...

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

There really isn't a lot more I can say to add to the positive reviews of this fragrance, so I'll just tell you of the first time I encountered it instead.

It was '95. The fragrance had just come out and I was in a plane flying back to London from Malta after a football (soccer) tour there.

Reading an in-flight magazine, I came across an advert for this in the centre spread and there was a scratch and sniff section.

I scratched. I sniffed. Then bang! The scent grabbed me by the throat with one hand, clutched my heart with another, and held my wallet open in front of me with yet a third hand (yes, it's that super) until we disembarked and I found the first duty free.

It's given me the single most memorable first-encounter experience I've ever had with any fragrance.

lovetribe
lovetribe

where is the old opium.new formula is light and poor of longevity and sillage!!!!

hiram.j
hiram.j

dubairob wrote:
[Opium] can often cause real alarm and shock in a man sampling ..., "Is this not really too feminine?"

This was my reaction when I first sampled it. I thought I must have picked up the womens version. It has since gone on to be one of my favourites.

I seem to have quite a few YSL fragrances. Even though I like them a lot they are sweeter than they need to be.

dubairob
dubairob

Intoxicating. That is probably the word that most often comes to mind when I consider YSL's Opium Pour Homme.

Without doubt, the most immediate counterpart to Opium today for me is Dior Homme - not because of any similarity in notes or structure or style necessarily but because both fragrances can often cause real alarm and shock in a man sampling them, "Is this not really too feminine?". Of course, the lipstick note in vintage Dior Homme was altogether more obvious, but for a man trying out Opium PH in 1995 (or after) the very perfumey blackcurrant and vanilla combination may well have caused a shudder of doubt. Nevertheless, it went on to become - rightly - an enormously well acclaimed fragrance as the first installment of Jacques Cavallier's trinity of wonderful fragrances for YSL.

For me it is interesting to compare some of the notes here with the way they are used by Cavallier in his other two YSL fragrances. The star anise, in particular, which in YSL Rive Gauche PH blends so nicely with the lavendar to give a very clean and appealing barbershop vibe (so loved by myself and others) here instead gives a slightly more medicinal touch, as it seems to clean up the always risky bourgeons de cassis note from the blackcurrant. This was clearly a well-considered choice.

Altogether, I would highly recommend Opium PH as a try for a Winter evening fragrance if you are looking for something different from the current mainstream but still classy with a lot of heritage. Its performance is very good - no issues there - and its price is excellent for what you get. (A 50 ml. bottle will go a long way.) I would suggest spending a bit of time smelling the scent - longer than usual - as it is very complex and evocative. You'll have to tease out your own associations - and decide if you want to live with a fragrance that brings them out. I did - and have been very glad of it.

neilvizuett
neilvizuett

Sorry, as much as I tried, I didn´t like it, too exotic for me and strong smelling.

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

Opium is very sweet on me. I hate cloying sweet perfumes, but Opium is not! It sits at that thin line between being cloying and being right... Opium is just right for me.

Amazing power, very good scent and a natural feel is what this masterpiece has to offer you. When you feel stressed up, a little down, or just lonely, just have a sniff and everything will be okay. It is a man's scent even with loads of black currant. What balances things out are the peppers and the anise. Anise is a wonderful note in men's perfume.

Once sprayed, it's shocking! Very powerful stuff that may repulse you for a second. But, moments later, everything settles down to a sweet perfume with black currant as a star player. The drydown is a mixture of vanilla, anise and black currant with the pepper keeping the composition from falling into that "too sweet for me" category. The final result lasts at least 12 hours with everyone around you catching whiffs from it!

jp1990
jp1990

Checked this out today after reading some reviews. Seems to be pretty widely stocked in boots (in the UK). This is a special fragrance, no question. It is a really addictive scent and I cannot stop sniffing the tester strip from earlier. What I do not understand is how anyone can say this is manly?? To my nose this smells extremely feminine and would be far better suited on a classy older lady. Yes, the smell is beautiful but I cannot picture a man, regardless of age, wearing this at all.

Ciceronek
Ciceronek

This is the perfume of the gods, this scent reminds me gold, and gold, and gold.
5/5 to the vintage formula.
3/5 to the current formula.

Legolas
Legolas

Just tried it today, this is trully so complex fragrance; classy,litlle sweet,fruity,spicy.. but extremly manly scen't.. bourbon vanilla,star anis,peperr.. this is fragrance with style and it is not for everybody.. longevity and sillage are great.. masterpiece from YSL..

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

This had always been one of the fragrances I wanted to try so bad.. I felt so drawn to Opium Pour Homme just from seeing a picture of it and hearing the name "OPIUM".. Unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere because it no longer available in the American market, mainly because the majority of Americans have horrid taste for fragrances.. I don't think it is discontinued because it is still on the shelves in Europe and still advertised on European sites.. When I first smelled this on a trip to Italy I had to have it! The scent truly matches the title "Opium".. The smell is so rich, intoxicating, narcotic, masculine, sensuous, exotic and mysterious! It is truly one of a kind, a masterpiece! It has jumped right up top with my favorite fragrance of all time! Opium Pour Homme opens with a huge blast of fresh fruity black currant and sharp spicy anise.. Than the exotic scent of galanga and pepper start to come through and give Opium this unique intoxicating scent.. It dries down to atlas cedar, tolu balsam and a very rich bourbon vanilla.. You can smell each and every note listed and they all mix together beautifully! Opium really is one of the greatest oriental fragrances of all time.. You can definitely tell that it came out in 1995 by how classic and masculine it smells.. It does not smell dated at all, it is just a classic manly scent for a mature man.. Opium is a amazing exotic scent, a bit more mature than I usually go for but I still love it.. It truly is a classic and I can not fathom how it was discontinued from the American market.. Thank god it is still produced in Europe.. It would be one sad day to see a true classic masterpiece like Opium Pour Homme discontinued.. In this day and age Opium is a love or hate fragrance but I will always see the beauty in classic fragrances.. The longevity and projection of the EDT is very good, I can only imagine the EDP.. Opium is one of those fragrances that you can not judge from one wearing because it can be shocking at first.. It may seem like to much or to mature because it is so exotic.. You have to get to know Opium and you have to give it a little bit of time to work its magic on you, but once it does you will be addicted! It takes you on a lovely exotic journey to the faraway eastern lands of the Orient.. To me Opium is one of the most unique in my entire collection.. Opium is a stunning intoxicating masterpiece, that I cant quit! I cant get away from it! I keep coming back for more! I'm addicted to OPIUM!

P.S. If anyone has the EDP? I have been wanting to try it for so long! If anyone is willing to work something out for a little sample or decant I would appreciate it.. Thanks!

pmaxlover1
pmaxlover1

Nevermind what this smells like... How about the taste of it!?! WoW, this is one amazing tasting item so be sure to taste it today! Sublime! LoL!

jht4060
jht4060

Opulent, thrilling, lush, narcotic, voluptuous, pungent, lavish, yet spare, silky, urbane, elegant. An Oriental masterpiece with few parts that blend into a sublime and unique experience. Opium Pour Homme is a true classic, let us hope it is never discontinued.

Galanga is one key part of Opium PH, but it is an unfamiliar scent to most. Galanga essential oil is distilled from a rhizome (not a flower as the Fragrantica image suggests) that is related to ginger root but smells completely different. I have some galanga oil - it smells warm, peppery, anisic, woody, slightly camphorous. If you don't want to get some galanga yourself, you won't be far off if you imagine subtracting the sweet balsamic notes, the sweaty animalic note (black currant), and some of the anise from Opium PH. Galanga essential oil is inexpensive and nearly transparent - it is possible that YSL uses natural galanga in Opium.

If you like Opium Pour Homme, you should also consider the plain Opium (Pour Elle, though not part of the name). It is related, equally beautiful, and both are plausibly unisex.

Deefit
Deefit

So I finally tried this fragrance today, it was the EDP version. The star anise and blackcurrant could be picked up very easily. But after 15 minutes, it reminded me of Dark Blue by Hugo Boss and it pretty much stayed like that.

It's also extremely long lasting, after 18 hours I can still smell this as a skinscent and I even went to the gym last night and had a shower. Strong stuff! I'm glad I tried this, but it is not for me. I used to dig orientals, but it seems I'm more into woody-spicy now.

Opium pour Homme a very interesting fragrance for me because I just don't know what to make of it? Having revisited it after many years I find it still intriguing, nothing like it to my mind.
What prompted this fragrance Renaissance was my girlfriend wears Opium very often and I kind of like the fact she prefers a deep spicy scent rather than some horrible floral choking perfume. However I really don't like the interaction of floral with spice, the carnation note ruins the resinous body and nature of the fragrance...just my opinion.
Anyway... Luckily the mens version is entirely different and although hasn't been on my skin for years I have huge respect for it.
For me a wonderful example of a classic oriental fragrance that's maybe a little dated now but by the same rule has stood the test of time.
Deep fruits, with an oriental spicy heart and woods in the base...enjoyable and masculine.

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

Opium Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent is a truly wonderful masculine scent. Many modern colognes are so one dimensional and boring which is why I love Opium PH, it transports you to a new place and creates a personality around you, which is why I love to wear fragrance.

It is rich, deep, and beautifully blended. Boring is not a word remotely close to describing this scent. It is rich, spicy, and very slightly powdery.

I am a huge fan of Yves himself and the YSL fashion house, the Opium family, in my opinion, perfectly captures Yves' fashion and philosophical visions.

I am a huge Opium fan, both the male and female versions. To me, Opium Pour Femme and Opium Pour Homme can be worn by either gender because they are so beautifully blended and so original, so by all means by a bottle of both if you are a true fan, you will not be dissapointed by both formulations.

Former Vogue Paris editior in chief, Carine Roitfeld, wears both the male and female Opium's.

5/5 from Yves Saint Laurent.

If you love spicy orientals, you will be truly pleased with Opium Pour Homme.

RUDOLFO512

I first bought a bottle of Opium pour Homme when it was introduced in the 90's. I used it for a couple of years and then stopped. This year I decided to get a new bottle and it was hard to get. I finally found it, of all places, at Target.com. To me it smells the same as it did back in the 90's. Sophisticated oriental spicy vanilla. I wore it to work this morning and I already got many compliments. I love the way it smells on me. Another masterpiece by YSL.

Revlon
Revlon

Only now, once L'Oreal have decided to discontinue the Eau de Parfum refillable bottles, do I feel it essential to write...L'Eau de Parfum is infinitely superior to the Eau de Toilette. Richer, deeper, longer lasting...a true elixir in today's anti-silage, anti longevity world. For the French market only L'Oreal have dained to produce a standard Opium pour Homme glass bottle 50ml version of L'Eau de Parfum. I fear it will have been reformulated as so many other classics have. A faint glimmer of hope, but no doubt faint.

sebikiraly
sebikiraly

I love this. Ever since it came out I am in love with this one.

It's a magic of black current and vanille. It might be too overwhelming for some but I actually do not really care what people say.

This scent is beautiful. Well done, YSL.

cyber.raga
cyber.raga

Best one from the YSL line. I might be kinda young for this scent but i can't resist it. SO good. Great autumn/winter scent.

gsevrain
gsevrain

Un muy buen perfume, algo fuerte y raro al principio, pero se suaviza despues de 1 hr de puesto lo que toma un aroma mucho mas rico. Perdurable entre 8 y 9 hs. deja aroma al pasar. Es una buena opcion, sin duda alguna se ha convertido en uno de los clasicos. Un perfume que volveria a tener. Calificacion General 8/10.

snifferdogx

Hate to be the bearer of bad news - this is one of my ultimate faves - but it has been discontinued outside of France.

Stock up on it before it disappears completely, because stocks are running low.

demby
demby

es una de mis fragancias favoritas la he usado durante mucho tiempo y la seguiré usando, me gusta mucho la fuerza y duración.

SHERIF SAYED
SHERIF SAYED

برغم أن هذا العطر الكلاسيكي جيد وله شعبية كبيرة لدي شريحة كبيرة من الرجال الناضجين , إلا أنني لم أستسغ مكوناته العطرية و وجدتها غريبة بغض الشيئ , على النقيض من العطرالرآئع ام7 الذي لم يفارقني ,فالفارق بينهما واضح بلا شك , وأنا أعتبره الأسوء بين عطور ايف سان لوران .

victoruvinsky
victoruvinsky

May be good for cougar hunting in the nasty, late fall night. Double breasted jacket, thick frames & off you go. Quite a mess of a scent to be honest. "Stitching" is exposed all over. Rebellious, upper class hooligan Monsieur Laurent was. Cheap vanilla in the dry down unbearably stays for a week on the suit. Dry cleaners. I’ll keep it for someone who really wants it or memories.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I got the EDT and found it very sweet and heavy...an interesting blend of spices and berries that comes out reminding me a lot of root beer. In fact considering how many Europeans I know in the States who hate root beer for its resemblance to a European cough syrup, I'm surprised that this stuff even survived that market. While this isn't as bad as a cola smell, it's still close enough to that food association to be a bit of a strain for me. It's too feminine for me personally, but I could see how it might not be for guys who are more daring in their style than myself. I used it as a room spray for a while, but then gave it to my mom for pretty much the same purpose. I never fully liked it even on the coldest winter days, and can't imagine why an EDP version is even necessary.

popescuionut100
popescuionut100

Just bought it today and i love it since i like distinct, powerful,manly fragrances.
The reformulation has good/moderate projection and longevity,about 5 hours on my skin.To be honest i was expecting it to be more long lasting but 5 hours it's good enough,decent or i just apply more than 2-3 sprays.
To me it's a autumn/winter scent since it's a warm and oriental & spicy rich scent.
It's definetly not a fragrance for teenagers,it's suitalbe for 25+ age category,for a confident,classy men.It works very well for a casual style,i don't see it as a scent you would use when you are all dressed up!

gary_5557@yahoo.com.au
gary_5557@yahoo.com.au

I really love this perfume.. but anyone else get sandalwood and cloves in dry down ?

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

Opium pour homme, probably the most ICONIC male oriental fragrance created to date. Classy, but not in a stiff upper-lip or overly formal way, more like regality gone to the dark side, on travels and adventures far away - souks, hamams, palaces, orgies, banquets, echoes of the Taj Mahal, lands were cultures and ways are discovered, where paths cross and the intoxicating enjoyment of sinful pleasures are not to be forgotten... This is a sexual, seductive tonic, for any woman's nose, it infuses sex with an added esoteric drug like euphoria... This is the exoticism of Opium pour homme. It also somehow reminds me of intoxication by Chinese hot plum wine, but overall I get lychee, blackcurrant, grapefruit, smoke, pepper spice, wood, incense and vanilla... An amazing fragrance that lives up to its name-OPIUM. Amazing and utterly impressive. Bravo Jacques Cavallier!

snifferdogx

Classy, exotic, incency, woody spicy and fruity.

However, note to admins: I really think the EDP deserves a separate page of its own. It's something special, and quite distinct from the drier EDT.

rayees
rayees

ya this one good to use.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Pure bottled magic. Warm, rich, comforting and sexy all at the same time. Seduction arsenal in a bottle.

yudisuseno
yudisuseno

it's been a while since i wear this, and by far this is one of the most exquisite smells i have tried over time. it's classic, it's exotic.

it's nothing but sense of dignified gentle warmth, don't get me wrong, it doesn't smell old.

the blackcurrant at the beginning and the whole drydown is giving an aura of sensuality.

wear this on your date night. no disappointment

goganivash
goganivash

that fragrance is fantastic, unique, personal,friendly and some kind of confident sence you can give from that fragrance.
I love it.
that's been my signe.

stayclose
stayclose

Very nice super spicy. Sexy and seductive but the dry dow is a bit lame. Very linear too. I like it though.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I tried this when it first came out and din't think much of it. Last year I was in a perfume store and tried it again and really liked it. No doubt it has been reformulated, but it still has a musky, sexy edge to it, but not as strong as it used to be. I was wondering if I should buy a bottle when a another guy who was in the store came over and asked what I had just sprayed.

Hey, you've just gotta buy a fragrance if you're getting a reaction like that.

dancinleroy

I like this fragrance. It doesn't do anything very special for me, but I enjoy wearing it nontheless. It exudes confidence and allure. On opening there is this very sharp, almost acidic grapefruit-like smell which I'm guessing is the currant. It smells to me like 100% pure grapefruit juice squeezed right from the fruit. It doesn't take long before that smell changes into a darker, sweeter scent which slowly evolves into nothing but spicy/smokey vanilla much like CK obsession's drydown. The projection on this is strong at first, so be careful not to apply too much. I am an overapplyer at times and tried to get away with 6 sprays of this and that was a bit much. I would not go more than 4 or 5 sprays tops. The longevity is great. After about 4 hours, you start to not smell it as much but others around you can for up to 8-10 hours. There are alot of fragrances out there that are similar to this and easier to find, so I doubt I will be making this a signature but could easily be someones signature cold weather scent. I give a solid 8/10.

Longevity - 9
Sillage - 8
Overall scent - 7.5

dancinleroy

I just bought a 1.6 oz bottle for a very reasonable price, but has this been discontinued? It's not on YSL's website. I will add a review shortly.

Brenao
Brenao

Great fragrance, only works on cold days, it's such a pitty, because it's awesome, the fruity top notes and the oriental woody base. The black currant opening is delicious, very appealing, the tolu balsam takes the sweetest part of the dry Vanilla away, so isn't syrupy at least for me.

GMK
GMK

Very overpowering at times especially in hot weather conditions but has some kinda X factor in it apply with moderation and sparingly otherwise too cloying to handle. a good cold weather stuff.

vonMises
vonMises

I generally dislike the first hour of this one. After that, as the spicy and woodier notes start to become more prominent, and as the fruity and vanilla notes fade, the result is really enchanting. A classic. Longevity is at least 12 hours, but it is not an overpowering fragrance.

42gr
42gr

Top notes
Tertiary colored (muted) fruit come chewing gum (pleasant).

Mid notes
The smell of cat-on-heat on mid notes.
Smoother shades of Kouros (YSL)

4 /5

totoksoedarto
totoksoedarto

I had ever have this fragrance for a long time. Even each time the content finish I always buy again and again untill it was hard to find. I still looking for it to day. The smell is magic to me. Longevity and sillage is very good.

new friend

كعطر بلاتينيوم ايجوست من شانيل وتوسكاني وجيه اتش إل من أراميس
أما عطر ال بي 9 فهو عطر هادئ وناعم

@gryx

@nonsense

Don't worry, everything is ok, I have that sticker on the bottom of my 2 bottles too, and they are the real thing for sure :)

nonsense

Can someone please tell me, because I'm not sure if my bottle is fake or the real thing, on the bottom of the bottle (edt) I have a transparent ellipse sticker with text and expiry code. Is that how it's supposed to be or it should be engraved on the bottom of the bottle?

Marciu
Marciu

I've had the EDP version.

I love it. I can't find much difference between EDT and EDP. Both are great.

It's a typical oriental gourmand("gouriental") to me. It's very rich - I can feel black currant, anise, pepper and vanilla. All blended together smell so beautifull...

I get usually 10 hours with it. Sillage and projection are big.

For sure one of the best from YSL!

said.mubarok.96
said.mubarok.96

Anybody can help me ?
I need your advice where among this three fragrances , which has better scent ( also longevity and sillage ), burberry brit for man , Ysl opium or bucheron jaipur ?
I do really need your opinion !
thanks

rc9097
rc9097

Not the same Opium I remember from years ago. I think this one, like so many other fragrances, has been reformulated. It is missing several notes and seems very watered down from what I bought years ago when this originally came out. I was so excited to buy another bottle, but became very disappointed quickly.

jaml
jaml

Wonderful perfume. excellent projection and silage. I'm talking about the eau de parfum version. I have two bottles and I love it. my two favourite fragrances, Opium Edp and M7 YSL.

Dellinger_DdC
Dellinger_DdC

Opium makes L'Homme cry like a bitch and while I love L'Homme to death Opium is the man. Just try it out and you'll understand... with Opium there's no joking around, you are the boss. If you want to shock your date or friend, Opium is what you want. Unfreakinbelivable!!

The black currant dominates from start to finish and that takes an eternity. I sprayed it on my hand early in the morning and after taking 2 showers that day, waking up the next and taking another shower Opium was still there!! Opium is an amazing fragrance and to me one if not the best from YSL, and here i thought that L'Homme was unbelievable, how naive was I. Very few notes that you will definitely pick up here and there, the anise plays very nice in the opening and the vanilla brings strength to the base but the black currant steals the show, delicious. This is slightly spicy and sweet but to me this is masculine as hell, as for seasons you can pull it off very nicely in cold weather and if you go 1 spray it will work in cool summer nights too. It is also a very nice scent for a special date or a funeral, simply put it as Opium is pure respect. The Alpha of YSL.

Cynthia, yes you can!

danielresendem
danielresendem

Smell this fragrance is like entering into a huge Arabian palace in the middle of the desert, when night comes..

ppiotrus
ppiotrus

Jacques Cavallier is simply a genius

steve0580
steve0580

This is wonderful.

Smooth and subtle, with a rich, slightly sweet and spicy opening. As far as undertones, you can smell more of a powdery scent than you can vanilla. The vanilla is very subdued here.

If you have the opportunity to get a bottle of it, don't let it get away.

dshiler
dshiler

I actually wore this frag to work today and even tho mondays are not my favourite days I notice I was kinda "high" but then I guess that's wat opium does. This opium is a really potent stuff guys..it shud be illegal. A sure compliment getter. Some pple be tellin me I look great..this and that..askin if ma shirt, shoes r new..hehehe. I knew twas d opium effect cos I'v worn those same clothes n shoes b4.
I Co-sign this frag!

Yea the pack of the 1 I got is quite different from d pic above..was d frag re packaged?

benpaul12
benpaul12

A true classic. Absolutely amazing. What are you wearing? "Opium." Even the title rules.

hadrian
hadrian

Recently a wise lady helped me to rediscover this gem. I have a lot of reasons to show gratitude to her.
Sweet and manly, spicy and warm - it's what a real man needs quite often, especially during the winter. Ladies will be delighted - having you around. It’s a classic – truthfully, purely and simply speaking.
A 9+/10 perfume (even in the eau de toilette version).

oxm
oxm

What a lovely discovery this Opium pour homme, I had heard so dear and I must say that the words spent for this fragrance are really in tune with its magical sounds, the opening is very beautiful sparkling gently and gradually the heart sumptuous it turns out like a shiny marble floor typically oriental woody notes while the bottom is vanilla powder impressive and very striking the balsamic note that binds the whole thing as the framework of a hot air balloon, because with this fragrance is a feeling of rise such is the grace with which it was created, warm, friendly, elegant, rich and opulent, Opium adds an extra hour of light in the very short winter days ...
fantastic

degumaniac
degumaniac

I always use the EDP as the EDT is tooooo weak!!It's becoming more difficult to get hold of.
My second favourite,next to Hugo Boss Spirit!

djinndc
djinndc

I've had this for years, and I can't get enough of it, (M7 as well).
It's truly an unmatched amazing spicy oriental fragrance. I love the broody soft peppery vanilla, tolu balsam during it's drydown. I also get a mild soapy aura from the drydown. I've had many compliments from females while wearing this cologne, they say that I "smell great!' and "what is that cologne?!" to their amazement.

The projection is just galactic, I use 2 sprays max. One on each neck pulse point.
For longevity, it's 10+ hours for me on my skin.
Go out and try this and be awestruck.

This will always in my top 5.

Rating: 10/10 ♥♥♥♥♥

dromidreza
dromidreza

مثل هیچ کس.مانند پورانوم و آزارو یار غار هر ادوکلن باز کار کشته ایست.پا به پای آدم تا هر جا بگی اومده.دوستت دارم رفیق !

BillyC28
BillyC28

I will say that this fragrance is the MOST incredible scent I have ever had the pleasure of wearing in my life. It is beyond a doubt the most stunning thing I've ever worn, and it was my signature scent for about 4 years (around 06-10). Without doubt, I came to EXPECT at least one compliment (if not 3 or 4) EVERY time I wore it. I don't know if it also had to do with my skin chemistry, but I recieved compliments from LITERALLY everyone that passed my way (and I was very social and in the club scene at this time). People of all ages ( various dates, males, females, my best friend's mom/grandma, any and EVERYBODY was always INTOXICATED by this fragrance and being that it brought me lots of attention and interesting nights (LOL), I became ADDICTED to it, sprayed it on my sweaters (perfect for winter/cold weather), sprayed it every time I went out (I started to feel that there was actually some narcotic oil/substance in it). Don't know but that is exactly how this fragrance must be defined: Narcotic, Addictive, Mesmerizing, Intoxicating. I love orientals and this is the reigning supreme. Of course my nose/palatte has become more sophisticated and snobby (if u will), so have embarked on a 3 year love affair/obsession with all things LE LABO. and sometimes Tom Ford & Jo Malone. LOL.

jezzey
jezzey

I'm sorry to be a hater, but I just received a bottle of this and it smells like my mom's powdery perfume, Angel by Thierry Mugler. I don't smell anything spicy or masculine about it. I do agree that it is rich, warm, and I definitely smell the vanilla. I don't feel "sexy" as I smell like my 65 year old mother. I am really hoping they accidently put the women's perfume version of opium in the pour homme bottle on accident.

agonista
agonista

Opium is unsurpassed oriental scent created by french school of perfumery. It's narcotic,sensual , deep, unique, balmy, masculine, noble, mysterious, enigmatic,herby, spicy, essential,enveloping .....and much more. It's more than masterpiece, too.... BRILLIANT AND UNPARALLELED CLASSICAL SCENT. INVALUABLE.

jazz444
jazz444

Rich, sensual, spicy, confidence-boosting, powerful, masculine, stirring, and STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL.

xhost
xhost

I really tried to like this fragrance. I am not an expert in fragrances, rather an enthusiast collector. Notes don't sound like music to my nose, but to me this fragrance smells like bread soaked in boiled chamomile tea which I could not stand in my childhood and this is probably why I can't stand this either. it's a wonderful fragrance but I can't wear it. it will stay in my coolection though.

krmarich
krmarich

I discovered a 1.6oz bottle with a short list of ingredients. WOW was this a masterwork form YSL in 1995. Everyone expected something similar to the womens formula. It was a diversion, yet no less beautiful. This time the inspiration was Southeast Asia. It was over the top like everything else from YSL.

Some notes on the tree above are missing:

Top-mandarine, black current, star anise, and galangal flower.

Heart-geranium, jasmine, cayenne, ginger and patcholi

Closing-amber, vanilla, musk, tolu balsam and Atlas Cedar

It was so perfectly blended that the notes remained linear until the end, which could be the next morning! Its somewhat gourmand. Indeed, the cayenne was warming and unexpected. There was always something forbidden about it. Perhaps it was too good.

The jasmine crowns the composition. It borders on floriental for men. Honestly, could you imagine Opium without jasmine? It blends with the vanilla/ginger giving it a powdery/barbershop/waxy/resinous spice character. Jacques Cavalier created his best work IMHO!

It is clean, discreet, elegant and sexy. I used to overspray my bottle 10 years ago. Like all of my YSL, it became a part of me. Its hard to believe Opium PH is only 17 years old. Sure there are more definitive orientals for men out there, yet this was my personal favorite.

This replacement was difficult to find. Now, it sits carefully on my top shelf with YSL PH, Kouros, Jazz and Rive Gauche. These are the classics from the biggest designer from the modern age. M7 didnt make my list.

AbBlue
AbBlue

It's been a long time since I don't have this one on my wardrove, but it will be back and then, a full review. Meanwhile I want to share that once, accidentally layered Opium with Herrera for men (aftershave balm), and the result was very interesting, very powerful. I would like to repeat it one day, but with very small quantities. Anyone want to try?
***
Hace mucho que no tengo este en mi guardarropa, pero volverá y entonces haré una revisión completa. Por lo pronto, quiero compartir que una vez por accidente, puse capa sobre capa de Opium con Herrera for men (bálsamo para después de afeitar), el resultado fue muy interesante, muy poderoso. Me gustaría repetirlo algún día, pero con cantidades muy pequeñas, ¿alguien quiere intentarlo?

Migalex
Migalex

The opening is very strong on the anise, although always mixed up with the pepper and remaining notes, so well, that I had not noticed it before, funnily enough, even though now I find it really obvious. Once the anise wears off, what is left is a a very powdery dark peppery scent. One does notice the sweeetish presence of the vanilla, but it does not smell at all of vanilla on its own. Quite nice though, but much simpler than on my previous trials I thought.

Spicy
Spicy

is tolu balsam powdered with some pepper and vanilla and wrapped in black currant leaves. I adore this frag and often ask my husband to use it even when he is at home))

mmh6352
mmh6352

This one is amazing. Spicy mixed powdery and projects anesthetic sensation. As a hospital worker, I can say that if drugs can be seductive, this is how it is.

evilspin
evilspin

I was never considering a YSL fragrance because they never caught my attention. The YSL L'homme smells great but EVERYONE i know has it so I opted not to get it. Opium reminds me of my dad. But one day I was visiting San Fransisco & I found a shop with these fragrances on sale and I didnt know what to purchase. I wanted to smell Opium to recall when my dad used to wear it and when I smelled it my friend next to loved it and she said I would get that one. I pondered and wondered why she liked it so much when I was not looking for a powdery incense type frag. She said that its different, oriental, mysterious and manly. I thought about it and decided to get it for 49.99 because its true, it is a fragrance type that I do not own. & I have 50 fragrances and nothing like this. Its not that bad. I sometimes always seem to take a whiff when I pass by my dresser but I rarely wear it because its not an everyday scent. Just for nice occasions at night. I dont regret getting it but i never get compliments either. One co- worker at work i asked her if she liked it and she said "No, You have worn other amazing ones, this one smells powdery and floral, not as masculine. Its not bad but not something I would want for my husband!" Not the answer I wanted to hear but I needed the honesty. It was only one opinion. I have worn many other scents since I like to change it up depending on weather and mood and she usually loves and asks what Im wearing so its not surprising she would comment on this. Except she never did comment on it first as she usually does. I had to ask her what she thought since she was quiet and It was my first time wearing it out. Its not bad fragrance just for specific nights and possibly for older classic gentlemen.

srininet1
srininet1

One of the most sensual, strong and fascinating fragrances that I ever owned. This is one of the earliest perfumes I bought and I have bought many other since, but this is one perfume I will always remember for its sillage and longevity. Nothing else comes close!

fahad.al dowailah
fahad.al dowailah

Why is everyone calling this a day-evening scent? First off this is not dated, its beyond modern! But if you were suspecting an "erotic oriental" well then yes, there's probably a chance this will smell dated to you, but in the present time/day Opium to ME (im sure a lot of the die hard opium lovers will disagree with me) but to me, Opium is 'a your skin but better' scent. Take a whiff of it doesn't it smell like yummy tanned skin?

Opium is a signature sent, you can't pull this off if you have a weak character. The star anise in the top is probably too sharp, with the berry's and the vanilla; will smell a bit medicinal to some people but give it a couple of minutes to dry down the black current somehow gives the anise a menthol feel and would cool it down, the black current in this is amazing by the way. After 15 minutes. The mid notes is just fantastic, it smells a tiny-winy-lil-bit generic surprisingly (In a GOOD WAY!) but the vanilla together with the delicious pepper and the lightened down "mentholy" black current is pretty awesome.

What caught my 'nose' is; first this fragrance starts spicy-sweet and a little powdery which i guess 4 out of 10 of the people will actually like (I love the top notes!), later in the mid, it becomes more generic (sorry) or pleasant to the general public and smells like an expensive, posh mens "niche sport cologne". My point is; the top is sharp, the mid is fresh, does it fade completely into a fresh-peppery eau de toilette? NO!

The base of this suddenly turns into this cozy warm yummy vanillic-cedar combo! Wow you really must smell the cedar in this! The base is what sophistication smell like.

+ How cool would it be when people ask you what are you wearing? and you say "Opium" :P Haha!

I just wanna hug anyone wearing this. Very relaxing! Great fragrance, *masterpiece* 7.5/10!

RAG1987
RAG1987

Anyone stating that Opium PH is discontinued is wrong, I have contacted ysl directly and they have confirmed that it is still in production :)

Freakmotion
Freakmotion

Mature smell, but not an old smell if you get what I mean. Requires personality, mystery and passion. It's a true oriental and it's very fruity.
I thought based on the reviews here that this guy would be kind of a "Le Male" projection beast; turns out it's not, but has very friendly sillage.
The drydown it's the best part. Not all the fragrances that list vanilla make it worth. Opium pour Homme sure does it.

Longevity: 8+ hours
Sillage: 2+ hours excellent, then lingers for the rest of its life (close projection).
Originality and versatility: You'd think you smell dated with this, but it stands out from the usual crowd. Nevertheless, there are other new alternatives to this type of smell right now.

xerxes
xerxes

...hope YSL does not reformulate it.
20/10 !

Ichariot
Ichariot

Extremely intoxicating odour, I like it very much. Sweet, compelling, attractive, powerful. I wouldn't see it fit a macho man. I would see it fit a quick witted, charming, intriguing man.

Not for boys or old men. This scent is young, active and fearless!

Nice longevity, still on the skin after 9 hours.
Great projection, I could feel it hanging around me.

1 Spray on the neck/chest is enough for the whole day (unless you apply it in the morning and have something special planned for the evening, then you might wanna give it another spray an hour/few before the occasion)

Maybe it's just me, but I get a clear scent of Clove on the top notes, though I do have a flu at the moment so my senses could be distorted

Opium is like a drug, use with moderation! ;)

ricardodt
ricardodt

Unique fragrance. Classy. Great longevity and sillage. YSL masterpiece in my opinion.

MUST8936
MUST8936

My olfactory identity card in every winter. I adore it.

Padhee83
Padhee83

Opium Pour Homme is truly intoxicating.Opens up with a very sweet smell,maybe coming from the blackcurrant and remains sweet in the dry down.The dry down has the prominent smell of vanilla and tolu balm which gives it a syrupy sweet spicy smell.Quite rare a smell but very very appealing at the same time.When I first smelled it, I was not that impressed but the scent grew on me and I am a big fan now.The best part is that apart from being such a wonderful scent it has got a wonderful projection as well with 10 hours of longevity.It is a far cry from the redundant fresh scents available in the market.Great scent which is very sweet and spicy at the same time giving it an enigmatic touch.Good job Mr.Jacques Cavallier.Thumbs up!!

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

The oriental archetype.
Very well balanced patchouli. One of the perfumes I don't get rid of, even after years. As many oriental fragrances, this is comforting, perhaps a bit soapy too. Several women tell me I smell good when I wear this. Especially women over 30 years. A true classic in french parfumerie, but it seems it has been reformulated at least one time. My old bottle is still OK but when I go to the shop and smell it from a new bottle, it seems less complex and rich. Perhaps is it in my mind ? It's rather hard to appreciate a perfume under these conditions. I should probably ask for a decant to bring the test at home... This is an old frag and YSL has been absorbed by L'Oréal. So don't wait if you want to get a bottle or you may find yourself with a -hard- reformulated juice and a black cubic flask...

Lasting : good
Evolution : delicious

MrMookie

YSL's Opium & Boucheron Jaipur are my 2 beloved designer oriental treasures of all time.
Its a compliment getter for sure i imagine an indian prince getting a full body massage from his feminine staff with etherical oils of all spices of India.
- Peegore says it right it puts a warm sulty glow around you wearing it. great combination of spice n fruits and herbs. A piece of art.
And guess what! i bought a bottle (old reformulation) for cheap :-)

UPDATE > Dont use in hot,warm weather its so harsh then.

AlessandroVil
AlessandroVil

I like to put Opium on a couple of hours before I go out because once it settles, it becomes amazing. Goes on pretty strong. A dab on top of each shoulder spread to each side of the neck is enough for me. A classy mature man's fragrance...not for kids.

Peegore
Peegore

Opium Pour Homme is, in my opinion, a benchmark Oriental fragrance for a man.

It's also a rare fragrance that, for me anyhow, fully shows all of the aromatic notes contained within its note 'pyramid'.

Opium's opening salvo of Anise and Blackcurrant is powerful, aromatic and spicey. This first phase comes across as very 'thick', almost cloying. This could prove worrisome to the unaware, but it gives a false indication of what will follow.

And what follows becomes divine. The peppered ginger accords of the mid notes blend almost immediately and seamlessly with the base of vanillic balsam, creating a truly opulent fragrance heart that lasts and lasts and lasts. All day long.

What I also enjoy about Opium is that when I inhale the sillage of the fragrance the several notes all marry into this beautiful, sultry warm glow. But when I smell close to my hand, I get the medicenal cough-syrup of the Tolu Balsam which I find really pleasing.

At the end of the fragrance life everything is a soft, muted shadow of the last several hours wear, slightly more powdery in it's aspect. In fact this last stage reminds me very much of Armani Code.

What more can I say. This is a great Oriental for men, and one I always enjoy in the colder months of the year. I just love its warm caress!!!

tomerits
tomerits

what can i say, masterpiece,classic,timeless scent that i can never get enough of.suitable for cold day/night time.a real lady killer.i absolutely love it.
my rank 5/5.

Chimp
Chimp

Opium pour homme is a nice and sexy fragrance but i personally think that it lacks some citruses which makes it heavy for me to use, so i prefer Voyage d'Hermes EdP which is lighter and fresher. I'd recommend Opium for mature men looking for a good perfume. If you like Opium pour Homme i'd recommend you to check out TSAR by Van Cleef & Arpels.

rmf1112
rmf1112

Smells amazing, definitely intoxicating as well. I know it smells good to others, but I wear this for myself- I love smelling this warmth all day. I recently found a bottle I bought when it first came out, it has a nice rich gold color to the liquid to match the richness and depth of the fragrance. Here's the question, after smelling it for the first time in 17 years, I have to buy another bottle but I notice a couple things about ones I see for sale online. There seem to be 2 different box designs, one with a gold circle and the other with a red circle with gold stripes on the box, and neither juice looks as dark as the one I have. Has this masterpiece been reformulated? And if so, which box is the vintage juice?
Thanks, one of the best, IMO!

sparkyman
sparkyman

I picked up a bottle of this, without sampling, after a friend here on Fragrantica, advised that if I like Xeryus Rouge then I'd probably like OPH, as it exhibits very similar qualities. Suffice to say he was, yet again, bang on the money at being able to isolate particular fragrances that would wow me.

I find this fragrance entirely intoxicating, to the point of literally inducing a euphoric state of mind and again I can't help but try to fathom which came first, the blend or the name? - it certainly has a drug like aura to it, an addictive quality of pure satisfaction & well being.

A warm, vanilla laced scent, revolving around a slightly floral, peppery middle, with a hint of spicy wood. This one gets placed firmly at the front of the top shelf.....can't stop sniffing it !

I tried the EdT long ago and remember a strong anise note that lasted a long time. Recently, I acquired a bottle of the EdP. As you might expect, it is strong and lasts a long time, but it's also very smooth. There is a really strong clove/nutmeg kind of note, which makes it smell a bit like a clove cigarette (kretek). The other strong element is an ambery/balsamic vanilla, but it's not super-sweet. That's about it. Perhaps there is a mild wood note, but it's not clear. Anyway, I like the scent; it's natural smelling and it doesn't get cloying (with one spray), but I could understand how some might get bored by it. Still, I consider this better than just about any niche fragrance of this type (strong spice or amber/vanilla), so if you can find a bottle cheaply I suggest grabbing it. If you don't like it I think you could swap it easily (I wouldn't mind a backup bottle myself!).

UPDATE: Second full wearing and I'm getting more of an anisic/minty quality (though not quite smelling like toothpaste) and less of a clove-like element (which apparently is pepper). In any case, what I think should be mentioned is that this is sort of between heavier masculine orientals (often with strong lavender) such as Bois du Portugal or Heritage and the more recent, simpler, and more gourmand-oriented oriental fragrances marketed to men, such as Lolita Lempicka au Masculin.

bp
bp

Alluring, seductive, alluring.
For me the world of perfumes is an opium (addictive).
Opium by YSL is at the top of this addiction. It's a lovely scent.
I love it.

olga1780
olga1780

I just got it for my husband for Christmas and decided to test it on myself first. I can see why it turns off some people...the first blast is very strong, sharp and spicy. But less than 5 minutes later it turns into the most sexy and alluring fragrance, very warm, moderately sweet and spicy. A real pleasure to smell it on a man.
Worst case scenario, I am going to wear it myself....I can easily pull this one off. I actually like it better than women's version!

An average quality fragrance in the crowded spicy-oriental territory. Smooth, well crafted but not as distinctive as Jaipur Pour Homme or brilliant as many others Jacques Cavallier's creations. Get the female version which is deeper, bolder and much more complex.

Rating: 6.5/10

newyorknick
newyorknick

Good thing i blind bought this one coz if i tried this first, most likely i wouldnt buy this. First time i used this, i put it back in its box and planned to give it away. It's so strong and too spicy for me. But then after a week, i tried it again and i started to smell its vanilla notes. It mellowed down to a really sweet woodsy scent which i liked so much. Just an advice, never spray it on your chest coz its gonna stick to your clothes. Its spiciness will remain overpowering the whole day if this scent gets to your clothes. Just a spray on your neck (away from clothing) so the sweetness will project the whole day.

Jona16
Jona16

Siempre se dijo que uno debe elegir una fragancia y que esta se convierta en tu sello personal ... la probaron? Bueno, puede que sea la elegida!!! Una mezcla única, un desarrollo impresionante y de larga duración y muy buena estela. Nadie queda indiferente frente a este, del que van a tener MUCHOS comentarios.
Eso si, la partida suele ser algo astringente, pero que no los desaliente, ya que a los minutos comienza su imparable evolución. ALTAMENTE recomendado, accesible e inolvidable !!!

RobbieX
RobbieX

One of the classic orientals. Smooth, musky, spicy, long lasting with loads of character. Projection is superb. Love it!

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

"Opium" is a scent that truly recalls the image of the exotic countries with its spicy smells.

"Opium" is very easy to recognize.

Yes Opium is strong, but it is a fragrance for the strong personalities. That's why I love "Opium" since 1995.

mehrdad

مهـرداد

Very very good

calyx93
calyx93

Can't hold a candle to the original/women's version - PH feels weak and underdeveloped. It fails to bring the implied "narcotic" experience of its namesake drug - something that the spellbinding original has in spades. The EDP version shows some promise, but it's less spicy - more vanillic and with more blackberry leaves.

Men should try the original before opting for this - the EDT (pre-reformulation) with just one spritz to the chest is very nice and melds with a man's skin chemistry very well.

ION
ION

"Opium" for men, I have to say, is a fragrance that shouldn't have come out.
The original is so intense and ingenious, I imagine many men must have fantasized how great it would be to have a masculine version of a legendary classic, but have you seen a No 5 for men? No. Chanel knows better..
For a perfumer I can easily understand it to be a great challenge! Been given the chance to create a masculine analogous of "Opium" is something exciting and scary, but in this case we only got an almost satisfactory shadow of what we had hoped.
As a perfume it isn't bad, and that's where all the disappointment lies. It should be great!
I can't stop wondering which other perfume it reminds me (no, I am not referring to the female version) but no good luck. :-(
Anyway, this is a fragrance that women can safely wear (it is not persistently masculine in any way). One quality that certainly lacks when compared to the female classic is Immediacy!

johngreenink
johngreenink

Opium Pour Homme is the result of a true scent genius. Once again, it is a scent that is far more than the sum of its parts... so much so, that it's hard to distinguish (right away) the individual elements in the formulation.

I started wearing this shortly after it came out in the mid-nineties, and although I've moved on to other fragrances, I'm sure I'll revisit this again in my lifetime.

This is a seriously Oriental scent; there is nothing fresh, green or light about it. It's definitely for after dark, and best worn in the cold, black months of the year. I found that Opium is accentuated by candles and incandescent light - for example, I recall distinctly that it revealed its most interesting aspects as I was bent close over a table in a restaurant at night, or sitting near a lamp. It may be fantasy or chemistry, but the essential oils that make up Opium Pour Homme are those that have an affinity to warmth (i.e., there are no roses in this fragrance!).

Upon reading the elements that make up the notes, I'd have to say I agree with most and can spot them, particularly the balsam, galanga and pepper. However, the vanilla is not as strong as might be supposed. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla in fragrances, but I do recall buying a bottle of vanilla that was steeped in bourbon, and that had a very dark and savory sort of vanilla scent, and it is very similar to the kind of vanilla that you can detect here.

Like other Orientals, this might not be for every man - it is heavy, and its wearability is limited by its full-body, but you'll really get a lot of attention for wearing this scent. It's still mysterious and aptly named; slowly rolling in big waves like smoke from a pipe.

KinG JameS
KinG JameS

I have a bit of a question, has anyone tried the EDP of this? I wasnt a fan of this edt because it was alittle TOO much for my nose but after tryin the edp I found it rather different and more bearable, the notes are carefully let go like slowly by slowly, has anyone gone thru the same experience, I only tried it once so I cant be very critical enough to give the whole evolution of it so I was hopin someone would take the honours to give me a heads up on it.

jazzman68
jazzman68

I did not like this one at first and it took some time to grow on me. Now, I love this fragrance. The spicy smell is what I did not like at first. One thing about Opium is the longer it stays on your skin, the better it smells.

misbehavin
misbehavin

A true classic. I have always loved Opium.

This is not a fragrance for a mature man, a "grandpa" - of course they can use it, but it smells very different on different people and even more suprosingly on dofferent seasons.

I find it very fresh and empowering in summer, once you apply this on your skin and then the Sun heats it up, fragrance is beautiful, pure, not heavy at all. But when I'm using this in Winter, when my skin is not exposed on sunlight and everybody wearing a lot of clothes Opium becames your best friend, heats you up from inside, it's very warm and pleasant.

I wouldn't recommend this strictly to use in Fall or Winter, it's best if you try to wear this through the whole year and simply test yourself. One thing can be said: this fragrance is not for everybody, it's a fragrance you hate or love - nothing in between.

boyxtoy
boyxtoy

it is a great oriental, i buy it cause i loved the opium pour femme, but i wasn't sure to buy it, so i get this one, it's nice, but i only use the edt version, that doesn't last long really, only 5 or 6 hours, and doesn't proyect very well, so i made my balls and purchase the pour femme opium, that works way better than this one, the dry down of both, it's pretty much similar, almost the same, but the femme opium is so much interesting than the pour homme, i think that the pour homme in the 90's was a outstanding fragance, for being a heavy oriental, but nowdays, mmmm that effect is missing, still a good perfume, sexy by the way, but kind of safe smell to my nose

jovejove
jovejove

I find it to be more feminine than the women's "Opium", because its not as sharp. Smells very close to what the "Opium" cream smells like.

DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor
DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor

This is a great fragrance "memory" , my first love wore this. He was an amazingly handsome, sweet and posh Londoner with an innate fashion sense and flawless taste. He was the non-misogynistic version of Patrick Bateman (ironic). On him this smelled like Autumn...all cinnamon, spicy and a hint of peppery vanilla.
I assume this only works on certain men, those with a more mature and posh style.

Roqfort
Roqfort

I didn't found anything interesting in Opium. Typical oriental scent and smells, like my grandpa. Longevity dissaponted me too. I don't get it...

bonovox
bonovox

This was the third fragrance I tried in my order from Scented Monkey, and absolutely fell in love with it the first time I applied it to my skin. The notes open up with a sweet kind of vanilla fragrance and a slight woodsy note. Even though a lot of of people are rating it for a winter fragrance is 90° outside here today and it's very refreshing. I try not to read other people's reviews before I post my own, but if my memory serves me well this smells like a much more mature Obsession. While I have already received numerous compliments about this fragrance today, the nice thing is that I actually enjoy smelling it on myself too. Three hours later it still has the opening notes of currents and vanilla with a hint of woodsy. I really like the YSL House as all their fragrances are well done, definitely something I would also wear for a first date night. I would not just limit this to winter or fall as it can be very versatile in my opinion. You also do not need to bathe yourself in this fragrance for it to project. Three sprays I think you be fine. Age range could be anywhere from 20 to 40. And I would rate it a 9/10. Exotic, sweet, and spicy. A winner!

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

Initially Very Powerful, 30+
Musky, Heady and Sexy
Longevity 4 - 6 hours
Dinner suits, opera and vin rouge..

Belgianbear
Belgianbear

Hé Guys

Try the MIX : OPIUM eau de toilette 2 steps and OPIUM eau de parfums 1 step !!! SO DIFFERENT !!!

Longevity 10/10
Hot'n SEXY 10/10
It works always ......... ;O)
Enjoy !

gryx

Miletto, Opium ph is sweeter and much more "into your face" imo, so I do prefer this one with no doubts, with all that rich, seductive Orient it's overall the best choice!

Jazz.M.777
Jazz.M.777

this is the aroma of sexual passion in my opinion. Its spicy, warm and extremely manly.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

It is not written in the notes, but I smell pineapple at the opening. This fragrance is good, starts with fresh and pleasant smells. On me, it is quite long lasting. I am not fond of vanilla, but the drydown gives a slight of vanilla note which I like it much! Nice!

twlahue
twlahue

I like it, but the first thing my wife said was, "That smells too feminine..."
so I won't be getting this.

Minimephisto
Minimephisto

Don't know why it is sort of diesel fuel for life homme, just that it is not as fruity. It's certainly very minty and spicy. Those who likes it loud and sweet would certainly like it.

Mushroomfat

I'm a 27 year old male who's open to all sorts of scents, but some are just too much of a good thing to actually be a good thing. I'll give the timeline some leeway and say it's just just too classic for me, "which was the style at the time".
Fits right in with Drakkar Noir, Lomani and Kouros.

Mushroomfat

I'm a 27 year old male who's open to all sorts of scents, but some are just too much of a good thing to actually be a good thing. I'll give the timeline some leeway and say it's just just too classic for me. Fits right in with Drakkar Noir, Lomani and Kouros.

mediterranean
mediterranean

My second favourite smell for a man (the first one is Kouros). It is elegant and timeless, very classy.

CandyPerfumeGirl
CandyPerfumeGirl

I'm a woman, and I adore wearing this fragrance. Opium is like incense, similar to sandalwood, patchouli etc... only sweeter. Love it.

PivoineRouge
PivoineRouge

... WOW. I'm twenty-one and I'm hardly interested in having boyfriends, and even I was intoxicated by this fragrance.

This fragrance is NOT for your average university boys. It requires certain maturity, tact, technique, and intelligence to be able to wear it without appearing like one's trying to grow up. I admit, it is a pretty difficult fragrance to wear. Jeans? If you don't look like Rupert Everett, try to dress classy. The fragrance is on the heavy side and for the modern-day people who seem to prefer airy smells, this will be almost cloying.

I won't go into the dissected anatomy of the fragrance, but this is truly a 1990s fragrance. This is a "dangerous smell", in the sense that Comte Valmont is "dangerous". Sexy? I won't term it that way. Sensual? Definitely. Hedonistic? Probably. This fragrance isn't a "player", but it is certainly a "seducer".

jooligan
jooligan

Edt Version: Starts very boozy, vanillic and peppery at the first whiff. The black currant adds some fruitiness to the top notes, but the main accord its clearly the pepper-vanilla combo. 1 hour later, the vanilla-boozy-fruity accord tones down and the tolu balsam makes its appearence, giving a waxy but classy smell that screams elegance and sofistication. The pepper never fades and stays the whole fragrance cycle, giving the perfect masculne touch
Recomended age: 20 and up (not for school tiny boppers)

BIG
BIG

EDP review: it starts off with a pungent blackcurrant note. For a moment i thought it was all there was to it!
But no! A bit later, the breezy pepper note kicks in with star anise rounding the overall scent. Personally, i like the Eau d'Orient version much better!

Plantus
Plantus

I have the EDP version of this wonderful fragrance and I had the EDT.

I love both versions equal, the EDP its best for nights and winter only,I detect mostly the clove, vanilla and amber. The longevity for me its quite good, 8-10h. Very elegant fragrance, you need to dress up for this one.

The EDT its more versatile, it can be wear nights and winter but it's also good for day wear in the spring or fall.I use to wear this in summer nights but just 1 or 2 sprays. The opening it's very strong, more peppery and I detect more clearly the ginger in the middle notes. The projection it's good and the longevity for me its better that the EDP. Strange :))

My favorite fragrance with the M7 from the YSL line . My subjective rating 10/10!

Audryna
Audryna

Truely sexy on a man, but I wear this too sometimes! I use a special routine, I use vanilla body wash and body lotion and a spritz of Vanilla Noir before I use a couple of sprays of this. With this routine the resulting fragrance reminds me of some nice spice cookies baking in the oven, while dad is smoking his pipe on an autumn night. Very at home and comfortable, and a touch woodsy. Don't be shy ladies, this is nice :) And if you don't like it on yourself, give it to the guy in your life and he'll smell incredibley yummy :)

JustinV
JustinV

On my skin:
Top: Beautiful fresh black currant, with some spices (ginger + pepper...or something, what the heck I don't know).
This last 3-4 hours.

Middle: Not much changes, the black currant-like scent tones down a little bit, bringing in the spices on top, but not over-powering. Lasted 3-4 hours after the top note mark.

Base: Settles down with black currant mix with vanilla, something drinkable to me =p lasted 1-2 hours after the middle notes mark.

Complements across the board (70% likes, 30% hates), many has mentioned; it is a gentlemen-scent-that-you-can-bring-back-to-your-parents. HAHAHA!

All rounder scent, you can use it anytime, anywhere. But I won't use it in clubs, its to classy for clubs. Clubs is a fun place with chicks on the dance floor, Opium is an upper class scent to me.

This is a TRY. Its unique for sure, but some people will hate it as it is a little fruity and spicy, that people could sneeze on it.

The country I am in has no 4 seasons, so it is either hot or cold weather. This is great for cold weather. Under the sun, it can get cloying, so be easy on the trigger. But this is a great function scent, work scent.

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 4 (unique in a way, but there are others out there with fruity top notes like Black XS...and all that ladies Anna Sui which I hate...except for this one).

Sillage: 4 (incredible, it sits patiently on my skin when relaxing, and pumps up when I am doing errands like walking down-up the stairs).

Time length: 4 (7-9 hours on my skin, I would say the scent transform 'professionally').

Occasion: 4 (Good for almost anything).

Overall base on mathematics: 4/5

An under-rated fragrance house. This is a keeper for me. Please don't discontinue it =)

costaleo
costaleo

I don't hate or love Opium pour homme, I simply appreciate its richness... I got my bottle yesterday and my first wear was amazing. I had sampled it a few times and thought it was too strong and overpowering, and that I'd smell like an old man. To my surprise I loved to give it another chance (this time as I was not sampling it, I could actually WEAR it). I have to say it definately goes with my skin.

vvvalentin
vvvalentin

This is indeed a special fragrance for many of us. Why? Because it's one of those fragrances that you either hate or absolutely love. People always have mixed up feelings about this one. Some say it's too medicinal and way too old, some say it's pure sex and sensuality. A true classic, i'd say. Personal thought about it? It gives that kind of strong feeling about wearing it - like i know all the people around me can smell this and have those mixed up feelings above :) Had it + want to get it very soon :D

AdamB
AdamB

Notes / scent: 3.5
Longevity / sillage: 4.5
Overall / subjective feelings: 4
Description: quintessence of oriental spicy
Short opinion: Classic, but that's why only suitable for special occasions.

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

Another classic oriental scent! This has to be my runner up to Jaipur Pour Homme as far as orientals are concerned! I love this scent. Even tho im not attracted to smells like this. Opium has always stood out! Its classy yet sophisticated. For those with class! Longevity is great! At least 8 hours! Fall/Winter frag! 9/10

Volta
Volta

Very warming and intimate scent! Perfect for a frosty, winter night!

So many women rave about this particular fragrance on their men. They say it's sexy, spicy, exotic, attractive and desirable. I would have to agree.

Opium for Men has some similarities to its female counterpart, Opium. They are both very strong scents, being very popular and in some ways, very 80's and 90's.

The scent is very rich and quite spicy, but not in a nose-burning sense of the word. I probably wouldn't advise this fragrance as being office-appropriate, however when applied lightly it could be worn anywhere.

Despite its obvious masculinity, I often feel daring enough to wear this fragrance for myself. I adore wearing Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford and Oud 27 by Le Labo, which are in some ways similar to this fragrance.

The contrast between the heavy spices and the syrupy vanilla is absolutely amazing. I do believe it is this particular blend that drives the women crazy.

The sillage and lasting power of Opium is something that almost blew me away. It's intense and powerful, shrouding the room with your presence. An absolutely outstanding fragrance that is still going strong almost 15 years after its release.

ausamamira
ausamamira

i have very mixed feelings toward opium, on one hand i like the sweet-vanilla-powdery smell but on the other hand i dont appreciate the strong kitchen-spices there ,,,IMO, it would have been better if it was less spicy.... the spices here are very clear like if you have just finised eating a spicy dish

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Out of my range?? What was I thinking? This is great! Sophistication, romance and confidence in the same bottle. This is one that glows in my collection.

Its rare that i absolutely detest everything about a fragrance, but this qualifies on that scale.

Its suffocating, old fashioned (not in a good way), and just repulsive.

carlosdavidz
carlosdavidz

I really like this perfume. It is so luxurious. It is a true classic.

andrew85
andrew85

Absolutely stunning fragrance, this is not for mature guy at all, i am 24 years old and i use this oriental masterpiece,, so sexual, is SEX, SEX in a bottle.... so hot... for the bed

raja
raja

Great fragrance! Sillage, longevity everything is just about perfect. A strong muscular fragrance for mature man. This is one of those perfumes i re-purchased many times.

guest_gazza
guest_gazza

fantastic best fragrance on the market, it oozzes sex, stronger the better, after all whats the point of wearing a fragrance if you not going to get noticed!!!

9154mf
9154mf

Im a chick and I absolutely love this on a man - sexy, horny, delicious!! Smooth and spicy, oh boy I'd beter stop and control myself!!

behzad1280
behzad1280

The Great Opium!

Absolutely wonderful and unique.
Sillage, projection, and longevity are extraordinary.

When I wear it, I feel lightness and levitating like I am totally intoxicated or something!
This scent makes me feel good.

I like it very much ☺

به این میگن یه چیز متفاوت که بعد از سالها هنوز کسی نتونسته از اون تقلید کنه
بوی کاملاً برآمده از طبیعت که به شما احساس سبکی میده
دوام و پخش بوی خیلی خوبی هم داره
برای محل کار مناسبه

R-U-S-H
R-U-S-H

...very long-lasting and sexy scent.....love it now for over 10 years! Take the eau-de-toilette for day-wear and the perfume-edition for nights...really nice stuff!!! ;))

bronstein
bronstein

Considering this came no less than 17 years after the original Opium, one may wonder what those guys at YSL actually did all the time. Because this one does excactly what it says on the bottle: It's Opium, only slightly adapted for men.

For this reason, one should be aware that it reminds people of a female perfume, because it's so closely related to the popular female version. However, that doesn' mean it's not recommended.

In fact, it's recommended for true dandies only.

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

I got curious about this fragrance mostly because of one of JADE.PALOMA's striking posts/reviews about it here on fragrantica. This is the first men's cologne I have ever worn. To me it is a rare and extraordinary fragrance. It would perfectly suit an artist or an ingenious actor. This fragrance smells so subtle and independent. MEISTERWERK!

missan
missan

A masterpiece no less. One of my top five.
A very special cologne, not for the office. I only use it at special occations.

ARAMIS
ARAMIS

Very classy, and long lasting.
If I could smell it on my self after 1 hr, this means others can easily do! And yes in fact I did!

clortiz
clortiz

Love it! One of my all time favs!To bad they dont make it anymore. Dont know too many people in my circle that are familer with it, so it was nice to find something only I wore. Ugly bottle, great scent! 1 word - Sensual

andy

the top is very medicinal and heavy but it settles into a very sexy sensual base that smells really nice and i can get the bourbon vanilla and rich spices in this one

highly reccomended

Fereiro
Fereiro

A timeless classics. I have both EDT an EDP versions of this. EDP is a little bit recombined version, where the cedar note sounds in more dominant way. As for me, I prefer Opium in EDP for its descent longevity and deep woody richness. Yes, it's sweet, but this sweetness has the appropriate limits. The opening is VERY LOUD, so be carefull with overspraying it. Just a few sprays of EDP will last all day long on the skin and for a weeks on clothes. Very economical. And don't judge it from the first notes - as a real masterpiece, this needs some time to reveal its beauty. One of those brilliant creations by Jacques Cavallier.

sixthsense007
sixthsense007

Very spicy and stimulating.

The opening seemed to be overly sweet vanilla, but that's probably to compensate for the exotic pepperiness of the scent which follows.

This would probably win a second date if you got within sniffing distance on the first.

Everyone should have the chance to experience this fine perfume.

andy

maybe its a classic but on my skin its a BLAST of old lady perfume and has a VERY heavy tone that makes it offputting

Jon
Jon

This review is for the EdP strength of Opium pour homme. If you are looking for a nice oriental men's fragrance you certainly should try Opium pour homme EdP. This is very warm, spicy, comforting, and yes, strong fragrance. This just makes me feel terrific. The EdP is quite strong, though very smooth. It last all day with one spritz. I can't recommend this enough. It is quite difficult to find in the U.S. though. When you do find it, you will pleasantly surprised by the reasonable price. Buy this before it becomes extinct. A real masterpiece.

Ouch!
Ouch!

I wear this at work, although I think it could be a nice evening scent aswell, for when you are dressed up a bit and wanna feel a bit stylish. It's a soft spicy oriental kind of scent. It's not an overpowering scent and lasts a good while on my skin. You can smell the elements of the female version. I like this and got given it as a present. Not one I would buy again though. I like something a bit more unusual.

instantjim
instantjim

I got this for a Father's Day gift (truth be known I bought it for myself for Father's day). I expected big things from this - especially its strength. I got the EDT, which I do not find to be particularly strong at all (I see that there is an EDP strength for men - which probably would have been better). I quite like this fragrance - especially for the first hour or so where the sweetness is balanced by its spiciness.
For the first minute or so the fragrance has a very intense camphor - like quality (my wife says it smells like personal insect repellant). This subsides, leaving the balanced spicy/sweetness. After about 1 hour it starts to evolve into a subdued vanilla, which is ok, but not earth shatteringly good. By hour five on me this is only just hanging in there. This is a nice enough fragrance, but would not make it into my top ten - it just doesn't have enough bite. I like countbernadotte's idea of mixing Opium with Kouros. I have just put one spray of Opium and one of Quorum on my forearm and I like the results at the moment.

guest_Oslo-fjord
guest_Oslo-fjord

Hoelahoep! You are taking the words out of my mmouth! This is the most classy scent in my collection, and i couldn`t be more agreed!

@ andy:

formal ? suit? tux ?

Oh no my dear Andy,

Just put on a plain white shirt, a pair of jeans, designer sunglasses and OpH EdP.

Take your favorite girlfriend to a nice and cosy restaurant....wait.....let OpH's magic begin....

( and don't forget to book a suite in the nearest hotel)

PS: DO BUY THE EDP !!!!!

hoelahoep

“I am the sweet fragrance in the earth. I am the heat in the fire, the life in all living beings, and the austerity in the ascetics.”

Today my opium pour homme EdP (the blue refillable bottle) arrived in the mail. I couldn't wait till i got home and put in my offic only 2 tiny, very tiny ienie mienie spritzes on.

My god, this stuff is o so strong: Within seconds my officeroom was filled with OpH, incredible !.
2 minutes later my secretary called from here office: "who put that lovely scent on ?"

Tatatataaaaaaaa, i got: very original and exotic spices, bold, provocative, black currant, drama, pushy,delicious sweetness, vanilla,pepper, citrus, star anise......you'll name it....it was all there: strong, powerfull and with an incredible sillage.....

This one is unique, no doubt about it. Sophisticated, rich and blossoming when your body temparature rises....This is a very intimate scent that delivers..:-)

Do not hose yourself down with it....only a little spritz is enough to last and last..

My opinion on my first contact with OpH EdP: 10/10 with five *****. This is one to stay in my collection for sure.

andy

this is a very strong spicy scent for a formal occasion, im not sure its the best scent for an older person and i would not buy it because its mostly for suit/tux occasions

Its great, but not lasting in summer days. May be suitable for spring and winter

da_markos
da_markos

i like opening, specially black currant. dry down is a "typical" vanilla note (like for example in "pi", "euphoria intense", "le male"). i'm indifferent about drydown but top and middle notes are very nice and pleasant.

like most says it doesn't go with sport wears or with hot weather. for me it's good evening/date/buisness fragrance.

ily_sb
ily_sb

absolutely fantastic ... the first time I wore it I went to the University to meet a teacher and the moment she smelled it left her a little semi-unconscious , then the same thing happened when I talked to the secretary :) I think the best word to describe this perfume is "touching"

Bluenova
Bluenova

i agree this isn't for the younger crowd , I'm 23 and bought this . It does have a spicy smell, yet gentle and almost mysterious , maybe when i'm older i'll be able to appreciate it more

6opar
6opar

OPIUM - this fragrance is blessed.

The opening blast is strong - boozy with fruity nuances - you suggest black currant, i would add more dried fruits - a top that Michael Kors would later do for his only Masculine scent. I am glad the opening though delicious is a short one.

Then it all goes god-like vocabulary. The heart and base are rich, multidimensional and , well, amazing. It is laid on the idea of contras - sweet vs. spicy. Pepper and vanilla make astonishingly mythological duet.

At a certain point I would feel like i'm drinking lemonade with sugar. Definitely some citrus in Opium. Or it's the way the ginger is handled. Anyway , Opium is a must have fragrance for guys who dig into life the hard way. And Opium will bless their philosophy. ****(*)

scenturian
scenturian

Oriental Masterpiece.
Start is a little bit chaotic with intense spices and anise.
But after dry it smells so smooth and velvet-like without any harsh notes.
Very hot, sexy and masculine.
Must have 4 mature men.
Strong and long lasting but not disturbing.
Similar to ck obsession if u know it.

I used to regard this as one of the more mysterious and manlier colognes, but now it smells a little too sweet to me. I do not like the way that it ages -- if you spray it on a shirt, wear it for a few hours, don't wash it, and then wear it again a few days later, the smell gets pretty stale. But, I still think if lightly (and recently) applied, it is probably one of the better masculine scents out there. I agree with one of the other reviewers, it is definitely an older man's cologne -- not for kids.

vdxl
vdxl

A wow oriental vanilla-clove for men. It is extremely lasting and elegant. Not as well blended as Jaipur Homme, but still a masterpiece in all its sense. I want to have it, for sure! This review is for the eau de parfum, which is really powdery and vanillic.

The Eau de Toilette, while lacking some sillage( good, but not as Jaipur EDT), it is very interesting: it is spicy, a bit fruity( blackberries which you can feel more intense in Poison- Dior), a little tonka and vanilla, a little ambery incense. What makes this fragrance stunning is the fact that it is an oriental, it is very spicy( I get the cloves in the EDT), sweet but not overly so, but I don't get a hint of powder, it is not dry at all. A work of art which should never be discontinued.

SomeoneElse
SomeoneElse

Opium = sophistication, class, and mystique. It takes only a little...a drop on each wrist is plenty. Best worn in fall/winter months. Not for kids.

DHMO
DHMO

Usually, I'm a big fan of everything that has OPIUM written on it, so I tried this one when I saw it at the store. The first time I was very dissapointed, it smelled not special at all, a bit old even.
After that I read the reviews on it and decided to give it another shot, at a different store. Second time I smelled it, it smelled rotten, no kidding. I don't like it but can't really point out, what note makes it so unpleasant to me, I just dislike it as a whole.
Just my 0.02

fqjcior
fqjcior

Once again Jacques Cavallier proved that he's one of the greatest "noses" in the world! Real Master, no doubt!

dieciseis67
dieciseis67

Uno de mis perfumes preferidos, sobre todo en versión EDP. Es fuerte, intenso, con personalidad propia, elegante y clasico a la vez aunque muy actual, y además extremadamente duradero. Una verdadera maravilla.

ticalau
ticalau

I test this again today... i have 2 say i like this a lot! :D I like the top notes and middle notes because smell so flowery and this is really sexy! And on the base notes i smell the vanilla... very very sexy! And a long lasting 2! I guess i was wrong on the first time when i said that it's not so special...

knightz
knightz

I have the EDP strength of Opium pour Homme and it is one of the best colognes I have.

It opens with an intense anise note that is completely tamed by the fruity black currant. The black currant really does a good job of smoothing over the anise, it's so rich it takes any biting properties right out of it.

The anise-currant accord is met by the peppery ginger of the heart within minutes. This semi-sweet and spicy opening hangs of for about half an hour, then the vanilla and balsam of the base start to emerge into the mix.

Within an hour all of the well balanced notes are revealed and the fantastic dry down begins. This dry down is one of the best of any dry downs I have experienced. Very intoxicating, as the name suggests. It is rich and creamy, slightly sweet, moderately spicy, and hangs on for at least 5 more hours just getting a little less intense as the time progresses.

I use from 1 to 3 sprays of the EDP, depending on where I'm going and how strong I need it to be. Even just 1 spray lasts for hours on me, and would still be fairly strong throughout it's progression. (One evening I was staying home so I tried 6 sprays. The opening was almost overwhelming but still completely enjoyable. Very intense, but not cloying.)

In the pictures above, the clear bottle with light colored juice is the EDT. The other photos, showing the black bottle, is the EDP. It comes as a black plastic case with a 1.7 oz refill bottle inside. If you look at the center of the bottle you see an orange circle in the center, that is the color of the EDP juice. It's much darker color is an indication of how strong the EDP is compared to the EDT version. I highly recommend the EDP, it's slightly more expensive but it balances out by the amount needed to get good results. After all, cologne is an indulgence... so go ahead and splurge.

Opium pour Homme's sillage is excellent and the longevity is well above average. Another awesome fragrance by Jacques Cavallier.

Unisex? Sure, why not. It's not particularly masculine or feminine. Not a typical unisex scent, but I see no problem with a woman wearing it.

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

A wonderful scent! Gentle, dark, calm yet modern, sexy and high class. I love this one!

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

I found this fragrance to be too sweet for my liking. I liked the fragrance...vanilla, ginger and hints of pepper...when I purchased it, but I quickly found the sweetness overpowering.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

Whenever you may be in the mood for a nice spicy vanilla fragrance this may be the one for you. I have the Eau de Parfume version of this fragrance. It is long wearing but not over powering. Plus it is created by Jacques Cavallier, most of my favorite fragrances has his signature behind them. This is one fragrance I will continue to keep in my collection. This fragrance brings back memories of being at A&W Drive-In having a rootbeer float with my sister.

snifferdog
snifferdog

An exotic esoteric blend of fruity topnotes with spicy and woody heart and midnotes.

Opium Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent 4.23 out of 5 based on 1193 ratings and 200 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Opium Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Opium Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.