Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Opium Vapeurs de Parfum Yves Saint Laurent for women

Opium Vapeurs de Parfum Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

smoky
Opium Vapeurs de Parfum Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Opium Vapeurs de Parfum Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Yves Saint Laurent launches a new version of the Opium perfume in April 2012. The fragrance is called Opium Vapeurs de Parfum or "fragrant fumes," representing a balance of sensual and luminous, warm oriental notes and the freshness of the Mediterranean. Opium becomes gentle, caressing and light, while retanining its distinctive oriental and spicy character.

The composition embodies the contrast of white flowers and resins. It starts with freshness of mandarin and pink pepper. Orange blossom and Sambac jasmine in the heart lead to the base of incense, nutmeg, amber, vanilla and light woods.

Available as 50, 75 and 125 ml Eau de Toilette Legere.

Mandarin Orange Pink Pepper

Jasmine Orange Blossom

Amber Nutmeg Incense Woodsy Notes Vanilla Patchouli Benzoin

Pleats Please Eau de Parfum

Opium Vapeurs de Parfum Fragrance Reviews

napiergirl

LOVE THIS ...but wait..is it bad to spray this with another parfum....what are the rules with blending...because i just discovered THIS ...with another..(miss dior)..IS AMAZING....who else blends 'THIS WITH THAT' because the results can be stunning .Is it rude or part of the enjoyment of fragrance to experiment...let the experiments begin I say.

Yosa
Yosa

I did not have a good first impression of Opium Vapeurs. I smelled it on my wrist and my immediate reaction was: "NO WAY!"

And so I focused examining the original Opium instead, on my other wrist.

After about 15 minutes or so, I accidentally smelled the Vapeurs again - the smell had started to change, to clear up - for the better! I went from "NO WAY" to "Hmmmm"...

From there on it was interesting to observe the scent transform, from something so unpleasant to something so pleasant.

Opium Vapeurs is close to the original Opium - however, it is NOT as heavy! Opium Vapeurs is heavy in its own way too, with the same undertones, but it has a more floral scent.

Vapeurs is like a summer version of the original Opium. It is a rather captivating exotic floral experience.

The price in mind, the longevity of this fragrance could be better!

ancaan
ancaan

I love this! Beautiful blend of orange, pink pepper, incense and jasmine. Totally different from what I usually like, but this one obsessed me from the first sniff. It has a provocative and mysterious vibe. It's not for teen girls, it's for a sexy, mature and confident woman. I literally can't stop sniffing my arm and when the wind softy blows, magic happens! This will be my next purchase for sure!

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

I use to wear the original Opium way back in the 70`s. That was a very `here I am` in the room kind of perfume so I was very surprised when I tested this one. I would never wear the original Opium any more but I do love this version.
Orange Blossom, Incense, Jasmine, Nutmeg, Pink Pepper, these are just some of my favourites in a perfume.
Silage and longevity are very good as well. It lasted 8 hours on my skin and 3 days on my jacket. A winner for the coming Spring and Summer.

death_by_water
death_by_water

I can really see this becoming one of my vacation fragrances, since it is so fresh and delightful, while keeping a firm personality. It smells of fresh mandarins and neroli and it has a slightly peppery character, all that added on a lovely incense base. My skin tames the perfume and makes it powdery and soft, just the way I like it. I think I will buy a full bottle for the summer.

Oh, and the colour is divine!

Hellita
Hellita

Interesting... I like it!

Alexandre
Alexandre

Delicious for summer, a blend of citrus, floral oriental background incensed over a ... Looks like you're crushing the flowers in hand, so natural that Opium Vapeurs can be ... Becoming well unique ... Although softer, have a good projection ... Does anyone know if this is a special edition?

anniemaria
anniemaria

This is just like a dream to me.

A soft, gentle dream. It's feminine, but not girly. It's young, but not immature. Sensual, but not sexual. I feel so at ease when I wear it, it's powdery and spicey with just a hint of vanilla. It's a perfect match for my skin and personality, I wear it on any occasion.

flowerpwrz91
flowerpwrz91

Love this perfume. Light and Spicy.
Why is this perfume not on the YSL website? Anybody know?

blueviolet
blueviolet

I cannot decide if this smells sophisticated or like a lemony cleaning product. I suppose the answer is right there. But not a bad cleaning product. A sophisticated cleaning product.

svetlana.marochko.5
svetlana.marochko.5

It really reminds me Chanel 19 Poudre. Chanel is more intensive in terms of green notes and powdery base, but this YSl is similar in its top notes. It is my opinion.

NicoleO
NicoleO

A delicately spiced feminine fragrance. Jasmine and nutmeg are two of my favorite notes. The incense is subtle (just the way I like it) and the citrus not strong either. Nothing about this perfume is overpowering. I find it soft, warm and alluring. It's also a rarity as I have not found many spiced/oriental fragrances that would work well in summer, but this one sure would. It is definitely 'Love' and I want a BIG bottle now!!
It is a shame this beautiful fragrance can't be appreciated on it's own merits, as it really can't be compared to the original.
I noticed it's not on the YSL site. Is this a limited edition then?

nitschevo
nitschevo

One of the favorite fragrances of my mom is Opium and I love it to death as well. But since I'm only 27 and look like 22 our time has to come yet ;) So since I know and love Opium I had to test this one, because besides of the original scent there are indeed some nice flankers out there! But this one does not fit into the range in my opinion: It is nice and light and I think that YSL would have been better off naming this one differently - come on marketing people, be creative! :)

MademoiselleMaya
MademoiselleMaya

It needs to be worn to be appreciated, it does not delight you when you test it on your wrist for some reason, but applied globally - oh my, it greats you with a juicy mandarine and soft orange blossom seamlessly blended with jasmine and pink pepper. Then there is the underlying smokiness and warmth, it's creamy and delicately spicy but the freshness of orange makes it versatile. Yummy.
Excellent longevity - 12 + hours on me.

Ascarlett
Ascarlett

I like the smell of Opium, I like Belle D'Opium and I like Opium Fleur de Imperiale - Soo, I bought this as a blind buy on Ebay. It was new and in the package.

Oh my gosh how it stinks! Not in a good way. It doesn't smell a thing like Opium. In fact, it doesn't even smell like perfume. It just smells like chemicals. Maybe some kind of cleaning product. Or, actually, it smells just like RAID, the insect killer.

And it is more than just my chemistry, because I tried smelling it just in the bottle and spraying it on just clothing as well and it smelled just the same.

Yuck!! Beware - smell before you buy.

Jonayla
Jonayla

First, I hate original Opium, never ever thought I bought something name Opium. :D But this changed my mind. I would have never tried if it had been on sale. Thank you sale tag this nailed it. After a long time I finally smelled something very unique. For me this is quite heavy, but I`m huge jasmine fan and that is what I smell the most. Floral, warm and little bit spicy. Last for ages on my skin. I think this is more evening scent than day. Only one spray is enough!

levinebabe
levinebabe

The first spritz, I quickly recalled Aqua di Parma Colonia Essenza men. Both this and AdP Colonia Essenza have a hair tonic kind of smell. But Opium VdP is less sharp, thus making it more beautiful. The citrus is light and fresh. The scent itself is a mature one, but this dearest flanker of Classic Opium doesn't smell old, or vintage. It can be worn by anyone, I think. The incense is hiding slightly behind the refreshing orange blossom. Quite spicy and safe for newbies, or your friends who hate classics.

Gabba
Gabba

Unfortunately it's too similar to its classic version for me... I imagined this fragrance much differently, I don't feel any incense here and orange blossom too - on my skin it's the only heavy jasmine and this fragrance is far away from any light summer version and freshness. It's the real "breathtaker" in the wrong meaning of this word. :/
However, the bottle is - as always - beautiful.

dormir6
dormir6

The fragrance and the bottle are good match! Perfect summer smell and quite unique. Flowery but not sweet,fresh but not aquatic. First you can meet a very potent citrus and orange flower cloud,that is refreshing in a strange way. It is loud but untouchable, like a beautiful woman, an eye-candy. Elegant, young, delicate and luxurious. It is so unique in the recent gourmand-floral-patchouli parfume world. It's light as a soft veil but strong as confident and lasting.
Very well done!!!!!

wei.xia
wei.xia

It smells unique.

Yesterday I went to the perfume store and have a lot of trials. But only this and Midnight Fancy impressed me.

I tried the original one, which is totally different from this one. The BA suggested me to buy this one as she thought it suits my age better.

It smells good and very lady-like. Much sweeter and younger than the original one.

However, no every one around you can tolerate this smell...It is so outstanding and overtaking... A man could feel very uncomfortable with you.

It doesn't last long.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

@lovelyephemera (review just before mine): I feel exactly the same as you about this fragrance. No sparkly lemon, no fruit punch, just a very dewy and sensual orange blossom/jasmine combo with a soft cardamom incense stick (not a trace of smoke here!!) and a touch of unsweetened mandarin juice. It is so dewy and soft and fresh at the same time on me. I love that it is a Summer floriental. Really a hot weather kind of scent, where it blooms and radiate. For me, it is the perfect oriental "beach" scent for the ones who do not wish to go the coconut route. Nothing at all to do with original Opium of course, but I was not looking for Opium either, so I am very glad.

lovelyephemera
lovelyephemera

My bottle has a spritzer like a garden hose. A pity, because overdosing does the fragrance no justice. I prefer to apply this from a travalo instead. It's a beautiful summer perfume for oriental lovers like me, it's light and wearable, without being dominated by citrus, and without treading into fruity floral territory. Instead, it has that warmth, spice, and sensuality I love so much in heavier fragrances. Surprisingly, it also has ridiculous staying power on my skin, no less than the original Opium.

Tam
Tam

Very pretty and lightly smelling white floral/spice fume but - on my skin - pretty much gone in 20 mins and my other half says he does not smell it either so it isn't just my nose has become accustomed to it. Agreed with other reviewers that there appears to be little - if zero - resemblance to the 1970s spicey original. Belle De Opium lasts much better on my skin. Don't get me wrong, this is a lovely perfume but just frustrating in its lack of longevity.

Opium and her subsequent flankers appear to have gone through some major changes over the years. The original formula of Opium was a spicy, rich oriental. However the modern interpretation as we know it today, is much softer and more of a crowd pleaser. As a result, flankers such as, Belle d'Opium and Opium Vapeurs de Parfum, are not really spicy orientals at all. They have little to no relation to the spicy Opium from the by-gone era.

The only spices to be found in this composition, come in the form of pink pepper, (which is so zesty and sour that it could be mistaken for pineapple), and powdered nutmeg. Opium Vapeurs de Parfum is a surprisingly subdued floral, wearing almost like a skin-scent.

First of all, I love the bottle. It was such a shame that I didn't enjoy the scent enough to buy it. I would have loved to have displayed that powder pink bottle on my dresser.

I'm quite a fan of orange blossom in perfume, however the orange blossom note in Opium Vapeurs de Parfum struck me as a little synthetic. The floral notes in general were mildly soapy, with the nutmeg creating a smooth, musky blend on the skin.

I sprayed Opium Vapeurs de Parfum on my left wrist and walked around the shopping centre sniffing it occasionally. I found it pleasant but nothing outstanding. It's not worth the YSL price tag, at least not in my opinion.

Opium Vapeurs de Parfum is such a blasé fragrance. The projection is like a whisper on the skin, with the lasting strength being quite poor also. Not impressed. Opium is starting to lose its charm.

Joeysgirl
Joeysgirl

If Jean Paul Gaultier and Coco Mademoiselle ever got together, this would be their love child.

Boasting the same heady florals and vanilla, but like a rebellious teenager, she's brooding with her spicy dry down and sexy incense base. I usually prefer my florals with powder or musk in the final phase and tend to steer clear of Vanilla, if it's overdone, it works against me - too cloying on my skin. Despite sporting quite a few heavy notes in it's repertoire, Vapeurs has a smack of freshness that I adore, nothing is overdone here. No specific note is dominant, they all work together in perfect harmony. I DO find that it is a little remiscent of the original on my skin, but it's not as demanding & heavy - it's a warm, soft uplifting spice that is very sensual and alluring, with the addition of the white flowers and citrus.

Lasting power very reasonable for an EDT. I'm not judgemental with the whole EDP's outlast EDT's. I believe every perfume works differently on every person and that what lasts on some, may dissipate on others. Take JPG Classique EDT for example - it's a silage BOMB!!!

I think it's the incense that helps maintain the longevity. I bask it's glory from morning till evening, getting delightful little whiffs of it all day long, as I move through my busy day. Unlike some reviewers, I LOVE that it doesn't smell exactly like the original Opium, I could never quite pull that off, as much as I loved it on other women. I don't understand the need for people to want it to be like the original, we don't need another! Original is sombre, vampy and in your face.Vapeurs is what it is - Opiums flirty, vivacious, but refined little sister.

It is reminiscent of other scents on the market, yes - but it does have it's own identity and appeal. I realised I was smitten when, every time I walked past this scent in the store, I would spray myself with it and for the rest of the day and night felt so beautiful. That is exactly how I want to feel when I wear my perfume, and this one loves me back. I'm declaring my undying affection for this beauty, she's won my heart - I feel a signature scent coming on. Thank you YSL for a gorgeous Floriental and a bottle design that steals the show as she adorns my dresser - Winner!!

napiergirl

A stunning beginning with citrus and jasmine ...hard to pick individual notes because they work in synergy ...cant stop smelling my wrist ,and as it develops I get cozy and elegant incense notes.I just love this , oriental but fresh ..love ,love ,love .

zvoncica
zvoncica

Opium Vapeurs is feminine and elegant perfume. Beautiful oriental floral, fresh as many reviews here state, but not meaning citric or light. Vapeurs is fresh like smell of flowers in a large living room, the room is full of light and all the walls are slightly rose in color.

It's a smell of mandarin blossom mixed with incense, so light yet edgy. It reminds me of beautiful spring, family lunches and mirrors with golden frames. Smells like afternoon tea in spacious gardens, family fights and wooden chess board.

Reminds me on Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on Hot Tin Roof.
It is awaiting of future, mysterious, tempting and bright.
So beautiful and vivid.

Juma
Juma

Beautiful, beautiful fresh, clean spicy, incency fragrance- another YSL that suits to my chemistry perfectly.I love citrusy incence mixture so georgeus surounded with white flowers where orange blossom dominates.

Certainly reminds to Opium, which is not my can of coke.
Like Opium on a spring diet!

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

un profumo sintetico , fiori frutta e colori , dopo un po diventa uguale a Fame di lady gaga, l'incenso e' finto, di opium non c'e' ombra, ne per effetto del profumo ne per somiglianza.
ma perche ysl si e' messo a fare profumi così? (dopo aver rovinato opium, e aver creato queste cose insulse)

divadani
divadani

First of all, this is not Opium. It bears no resemblance to the 1977 perfume called Yves Saint Laurent Opium, or any of its subsequent reformulations.

With that out of the way, I actually don't mind it. It has almost a fizzy quality, with the orange blossom sparkling on a bed of incense. The incense isn't a heavy, churchy incense - but rather something that you would smell on a gust of wind. The perfume in general has a very breezy quality, forming a pleasant, light fragrance, perfect for spring/summer. I wouldn't classify it as a particularly sexy, femme fatale fragrance (like its namesake). It's more of a day/office fragrance, or for those that prefer the lighter fragrances in general. Weak to medium lasting power on the skin.

I don't find any similarity to the original Opium. Vapeurs is mostly orange blossom, with an underlying note of citrus, and hints of incense and spice. I think a person needs to ignore the supposed relation to Opium and assess this on its own merits, rather than make a comparison. They are completely different. This is a sweet and powdery floral, and I like it quite a bit.

L'Arlesienne
L'Arlesienne

Nothing fresh to my nose, just a strong, chemical smell of bath freshner... I fie not like the original and I totally dislike this one , too. It is hard to me to understand what is fresh in this! It is heavy, artificial and headache inducing. Sorry, no!

BeautifulDynamite
BeautifulDynamite

So fresh and clean...hardly something I expected from a fragrance with the name "Opium" on the bottle. Sadly, it's not as long lasting as I would've hoped.

Still lovely, though :) Not overwhelming, just right.

Ana_Raio
Ana_Raio

Don't look anything like the original Opium, which I consider too strong for me ... This is more catchy, light, youthful, fresh petals and white roses in the air ...

100mlEDT
100mlEDT

Yves Saint Laurent, Opium Vapeurs de Parfum 2012. Citrus accords from the Mediterranean including mandarin and orange blossom, 'fragrant fumes' waft from the tender salmon pink bottle that was once home to super elixir Opium.  Oriental citrus incense becomes gentle and caressing. Pink pepper in the opening give it initial sparkle, orange blossom and mandarin take it up a notch for a more enveloping  sillage. The Vapeurs edition has  less spice than the original and is thankfully low on the sugary calories , you can't go wrong.

suzisabella
suzisabella

I asked my brother to buy me Opium or Midnight Poison for Christmas, and this is what he came home with. I didn't notice that it wasn't actually Opium until after I'd opened it. Now I've got this huge bottle of EDT that's precisely the type of perfume I don't like - white florals and citrus just smell sharp and unpleasant on me.
The shop assistants probably impressed upon him that in the summer months you "need" a light, "fresh" perfume. No.

Guess I just have to put Opium back on my wishlist.

vivik

Finally I have it too, it´s heaven as previous reviewers said, like neroli and incense ideal encounter, l´Agent sinking into neroli and stuff...I am literally bathing in it, hope the passangers on public transport won´t faint...

smellME
smellME

Finally its mine !
- and I´m in seventh perfume heaven !!
Just got this by mail, tried it twice on paper since summer and just knew this is a smellME scent...
The red pepper and mandarin makes just such a beautiful entry, but there are lots to come..., speak about notes they blend and wipe the floor fo every new note making its announcement. The jasmine and orange flower are probably creating that Alien touch I get, but its the top and base that are most prominent on me.
It is quite heavy , so maybe not for every day use on everyone...
so I will put it on early in the morning getting myself ready for the day.
What great sillage and longevity too !
Of course it has vibes from the "old" opium flankers but this is a lot fresher and has its own tone.
I would say it is an Alien with incense and spice , if that makes any sence ?
I´ll tell you one thing , if I wasn´t such a decent girl I wouldn´t have written this review , telling you all about my new love, keeping it for myself...
but I know you all out there are craving for next love,next new signature.... -- so what can a perfume lover do but tell every perfumista whats her new love is, and letting you all try it for yourself !
This is it... - my new secret so don´t tell anyone , ok ?

cherry_lips
cherry_lips

First of all I have to say that I'm not a vanilla fan when comes to perfumes, BUT this one changed my mind. I've tested it yesterday on a blotting paper and I couldn't stop sniffing it. It is so well balanced, very classy, almost intoxicating scent.I have to have it.

vivik

I´ve tried it yesterday at Sephora "overflowing" with many other fumes being tested by pre-Christmas busy shoppers which rendered all the fragnances I´ve tested almost indiscernible until I´ve tried Vapeurs,this one nailed it, so pronounced, elegant,sexy, balmy, beautiful, powerful vapor indeed.

allyendawn
allyendawn

Almost hypnotic! Feels like heaven!

cherie97
cherie97

This one is truly elegant & young opium. It is warm and spicy, such a nice smell. Smells a bit oriental, unusual. On my skin it's pretty heavy, not for everyday use, needs this special occasion. I like it very much, much better than the other from the Opium family. Could be my purchase in near future. Wearing this one, I feel sexy and sophisticated in some way. Thumbs up, YSL!
(my Fiancee likes it too, he says it smells sexy)

BillieNicole
BillieNicole

To me, this perfume is a lighter and more everyday version of the original Opium- and it's fantastic! It has some of characteristics of Opium, but lighter and balmier than the original. It still smells very exotic and still is very strong, which I like.

busik
busik

Something strange! Opium is not that we are used to. Probably I should long to smell, look for notes ... But, I do not even want to guess, a dusty, light cologne. Doily immediately flew into a bin in the store

antonpan
antonpan

Opium Vapeurs de Parfum is lighter and more wearable version of regular John Galliano Eau de Parfum. The John Galliano has a unique and extremely beautiful incense note that makes the fragrance sophisticated. In Yves Saint Laurent they took this incense accord and surrounded it by a lighter and generic fruity powdery veil. Nonetheless the result is nice as well.

monamonib
monamonib

iwas in the airport trying many perfumes when isaw this perfume and my hand was full with other perfumes so isprayed it on my sleeves and ihang my clothes and forget it next da ysame cloth iwear there was nice smell ido not from where itried to remember and it was that opium and the thirde day it was also there with
same sillage although idid not smell first day so it will be my next purchase for sillage and longtivity
please who said this version is not long lasting it is more than long lasting the new thing iwant to add that this perfume has different smell depend on the type of clothes you wear itried on my cotton clothes and stays about three days and give me beautiful smell and itried on fiber clothes it stays for two weeks but the smeel was sharp and keep on going with the same tone never get lower thanks for reading

emiana
emiana

I love this perfume...I can feel the incense note...very well

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

I feel as though they created this version simply for the (predominantly younger) crowd who invariably whinge about the original being too heavy, strong or "old lady" in presence. This is a much lighter, fresher and modern take on the original. To me, it was exotic and powdery, quite summery and fresh, but wound up taking on the feel of an interesting smelling soap. Lasting power wasn't fantastic, but better than some edps out there on the market. Average - moderate appeal, but will quickly lose it's audience when the summer months are over.

L'eaulita
L'eaulita

The trick with this one is to try and disassociate it from the name "Opium". Vapeurs opens up with vivacious and unbridled citrus, orange blossom and the juice of smooshed up jasmine flowers. A healthy dose of pink pepper to spice things up and you've got yourself an almost unisex, vaguely soapy, damn good perfume. The nutmeg and incense doesnt come into play until much further down the track, by which stage sillage is waning. Longevity is surprisingly good, in fact its actually a bit strong at the start and could be overhwhelming if you got too trigger happy. Definitely reminds me of the old Priscilla Presley fragrance Indian Summer- extremely similar, but Vapeurs is a tad fresher.

beccis80
beccis80

A lot of negatives on this one... I feel the opposite! The original Opium feels really old-lady-like, so at first I did´nt really have an interest of trying this. But since the bottle kind of appealed to me, I did anyway. And I was happily surprised! A mysterious, sexy, soft scent that feels younger than the original...

ambersuz
ambersuz

Tested this one out today and am in love! It smells like incense and musky sandalwood but the jasmine, vanilla and oranges give it a feminine flair. It's not too heavy or overpowering, just a gentle breeze of incense. I love the smell of Hemp shops and this one captures that glorious smell fantastically! Will be purchasing this one.

I am a lover of Opium. Unlike many others, I feel YSL is making some much-needed changes in order to bring the Opium empire into the 21st century and connect with the people of today. Newsflash--The 70's Are Over! Vapeurs is a wonderful addition to the Opium family as a "Legere" sister of Opium. I was excited to try this perfume because the notes indicated it could be heavy on orange blossom and jasmine with a warm, softly spiced base. Opium Vapeurs delivers on its promise.

When I first sprayed, I smelled a lot of orange or tangerine. After 10 minutes I smelled the back of my hand again and was shocked at how much it had changed. It became much less citrusy and gained a significant amount of nutmeg and white florals. Another ten minutes went by, and BAM, it was exactly what I'd hoped for--sandalwood, nutmeg, vanilla, jasmine, and incense. Something about it is a tad masculine, which is quite sexy in my eyes.

I spent the afternoon at a charming cafe today. A warm, barely noticeable summer breeze would drift by, carrying the most beautiful scent with it. I looked around and saw a wall full of jasmine nearby. Opium Vapeurs has the same effect with regard to scent and projection. It's quite magical! It's as though I never left the cafe.

Like its namesake, this perfume's drydown is worth the wait. It's a delicately spiced perfume. It tickles the senses and makes the perfect summer oriental.

beatrix75
beatrix75

first opium parfum which I love very much and I'd i want to buy it !!!super feninine luxury elegant oriental-flover becoze i feel the oriental smell there somewhere .Its sooo much good kvalite so long lasting and special its sooo much everithing i want now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

la tailleuse
la tailleuse

I LOVE this!, and I also like the "old" (heavy?) Opium!
So to all lovers of the old an haters of the new version... It's possible to love them both!
I think it's mature, feminine, balmy, fresh, and sensual at the same time.
I think you can wear it anytime, anywhere... People ask me what I wear, and not because they think I smell Like Hell!! haha but because they like it its suits me.
it is not just another fragrance, I find it a unique delicious perfume.

Getting acquainted with a scent is exciting, surprising, a journey of discovery and sometimes disappointing .... It is one of my favorite things to do and sometimes you hit a small treasure.
Vapeurs de parfum van YSL is such a treasure, I call it deliberately no opium, because I think it has its own personality and it is no small sister of the mighty opium from the 70's.

Cams
Cams

I adore this! It's sophisticated and feminine. I was overjoyed when I saw this duty free at London Heathrow! A must-try (with an open mind) as it bears no resemblance to the original - and that's OK.

Migalex
Migalex

The way pink pepper and nutmeg are used here makes this perfume very similar to lots of others. Pink pepper comes through very noticeably since the beginning, together with the fruity mandarine note. Later, nutmeg and incense seem to take over the lead of the other notes. Longevity and sillage are not great. Although I tend to like pink pepper very much, not so in this perfume. I find it common, lacking character, and not particularly pleasant. It is nothing to to with the original Opium, but I never liked it very much either. I do have the greatest respect for Jean Louis Sieuzac, though, the creator of the original Opium, but not for having created it, but rather for what I consider two of the greatest perfumes of all time, Oscar de la Renta and the 1989 reformulation of Madame Rochas.

daisymargueritte
daisymargueritte

This is as politically correct as the original Opium wasn't. Vapeurs is a little sweet, a little citrusy, a little powdery, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Obviously Opium fans are disappointed. But Vapeurs de Parfum was not made for them; it's supposed to take market shares from Shalimar Initial and Coco Mademoiselle. It's not about creating a perfume; it's about the marketing consultants advising: "Why the others should get all the pie from the cute little pink perfumes? YSL is entitled to a piece too!"

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

The best thing I can say about is that it doesn't last long. I really, really don't like it.
I appologize to all of you who do like it, but there is nothing here for me but screechy, peppery harshness. I don't get ANY jasmine, which is a shame, because I love jasmine.
I do get a little bit of incence, and when the fragrance dries down some amber as well. It has a soft drydown, not annoying like the opening, but nothing special either.
Positive thing is it wasn't that strong (and I LIKE strong scents), because if this would have had the strength of an EDP, it would have completely knocked me out.

chowchow41
chowchow41

I got a sample vial of 4 ml of Opium de Vapeur. I like it with a opening of pink pepper but fades within one minute and gets followed by the incense. Then the manderin orange kicks in with the orange blossem and amber. its soft sweet and a hint of spice but on my skin mostly soft sweet. I have sprayed at at 6 in the morning but by 9.30 its completly gone. So it doesnt stay around. Its a shame because its beautiful and i would have bought it but the longivety is the issue and reason why i will not purchase it. Sigh.

starlight47
starlight47

I absolutely love Opium, so I can't wait to try the Opium Vapeurse de Parfum!! I have the Belle d'Opium and the Opium for women and between the two I much more prefer the Opium for women. It is stronger and more spicy. I can actually still smell it on me the next day. I have been wanting to try the Cinema by YSL, I am curious how the Cinema will compare with the Opium?

LaPetite
LaPetite

I have tested it this morning and i'm so surprised i loved it since i usually hate all the "Opium something" scent except the beautiful " Opium Fleur de Shanghai" from 2005 .
I don't feel much pink pepper in it ,( it's a note that i usually dislike and yet i'm loving this cent .)
Just like Elie Saab and Yves Rocher's "Tendre Jasmin " there is a beautiful Orange Bloosom / Jasmine combo ( i guess this is getting trendy? )warmed by the incense and the amber however .
Not surprisingly all the Opium lovers hate it , i predicted it right away , it's really not like the man-eater original Opium , but those who hate it may like this scent , like i do .

Maeva

I find it worrying that the only word you can read on the bottle label, apart from the name of the brand, is "Opium". On the box, we can only find the expression "Vapeurs de parfum" some two centimeters below the word "Opium", and in considerably smaller lettering. This is very confusing. Is L'Oréal trying to fool uninformed users into buying this fragrance instead of Opium? On top of that, the differences between the two bottles are not very remarkable.

The differences between Opium and Opium Vapeurs de parfum ARE remarkable, though. With a very noticeable pink pepper undertone (lately so much in vogue), Vapeurs is a watered down, more conventionally "feminine" makeover of the classic, fresher, lighter, more flowery and citrusy. Even if its development is rather linear, it lasts 2 hours on my skin. Not bad for a summer flanker, I guess.

For me Opium VDP is just shallowly pleasant while the preformulated Opium is deep and ravishing. I began this review complaining about the fact that the bottle and packaging were misleading, but maybe they aren't so if they simply want to make us think this fragrance is "Opium in pink"... :(

Madame Jocelyne
Madame Jocelyne

I think that this perfume is nice, yes it is light and doesn't have much similarity to the orginal Opium, but it is a good introduction to the Opium scent, especially for younger women. It stays on well but does'nt seem to develop like its original namesake.

akats
akats

It's an ok light sweety smell, neither to love it, nor to hate it. What makes me angry though, is the name. They could have named it everything except Opium. Belle d' Opium was enough. Not again the same mistake.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is another disappointment since L'Oreal bought out the great YSL and proceeded to ruin their brand. I would not buy this if it was by Kate Moss or Paris Hilton, if I like a scent and find it good quality for the price, I'll say so. This smells much like decent quality air freshener. It's harsh, 'white floral' screeches up to my headache centre along with some unsubtle citrus. It has no definition or development and is in my opinion, another nail in the coffin for the great scent brands of the world.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Having read so many reviews, I am surprised to find that on me this smells like Opium light. Not a watered down, or weak version, just, lighter. Like Opium for beginners. On me is is very spicy with a ton of incense, cushioned on soft flowers. I think if you find the original too strong for you try this one. It is a more wearable version and I like it a lot better than Belle d'Opium, which I find almost as heavy as the original, just with more white flowers.
Staying power with this one is just as good as the original Opium I might add, a good 12 hours on my skin and still distinct and the bottle is really quite pretty.

Lisa290872
Lisa290872

I love this. One of my other faves is Chanel coco mademoiselle and this is similar. The opium version! I can't agree with the other reviews. I love this. Maybe they shouldn't have called it opium as I don't think it is anything like the original which is probably why opium lovers don't like it.

Maeva

Claudia26, I couldn't agree more with you. I love Opium and I wear it all year round. I don't need to spend a fortune on a watered down version of it just because the temperatures rise every summer (paying a price for it that has not been reduced or softened like the juice, by the way). You're right: the only difference lies in how you apply your perfume in hot weather. But "Opium" seems to be a magical word and l'Oréal keeps associating it to other more run-of-the-mill creations in the name of profit, especially when recent summer launches like Saharienne have not proved commercially successful at all. I'll always stay faithful to Opium, whatever the temperatures and the soft flankers offered every summer! :) (as long as I still have some; I treasure two bottles of the pre-formulated Opium and hope they last forever, but that's another story...).

claudia26
claudia26

May I ask why do we need summer versions of a perfume?
The only difference (from what I understand) is that it doesn't last as long as the original, or weaker sillage.

Couldn't we just apply it in smaller amounts?

I love Opium, and I don't want to wear it (and I don't) only during winter, and in the summer to smell like soap, or floral fruity, so called fresh scents.

I think we should wear the perfume we love all year round, just the quantity applied should be different, no?

i just tried it today, andit is very different from the original. Worth a try.

lizzie81
lizzie81

oh my goodness!! I just tried this today, only on paper though! It smelled generic, cleaned up, run of the mill perfume of the day and very un opium like!! I can't believe they did this! Make the perfume by all means but don't slap on the opium name because this has absolutely nothing to do with the old classic!! I personally think belle 'd'opium was as far as they should go with it, that one wasn't bad even if the opium name on it was questionable, it was still a nice perfume, a bit different and still retained some spiciness and good dose of patchouli! but this one is a completely different animal. Opium had been cleaned and rinsed and niced up and lost all personality and uniqueness its a travesty!! :(

panthere
panthere

I tested this on back of my right hand and ck one summer 2012 on left hand.I immediatly fell for this one,pink pepper and mandarin combination obviously works with my skin chemistry.Its lasted 5hrs+ on me so far and still going strong!. Its a winner in my books and i'm loving it enough to want to add it to my "want list".I'm a huge fan of the original but I can even appreciate this Opium flanker.

Kione
Kione

Its not that it doesn't smell of Opium (I like Belle D'Opium) to me this smells off. I am sure it will work in some peoples skin. In paper strip to me, smelled like a mixture of perfumes that have gone off. I was with another two peope and neither of them liked it. I do have the real vintage one and I love it.
I have a vial with this one and I am very hesitant to trying it on my skin...

Edit: I got the courage to apply on my skin and it smells MUCH nicer than on the paper. I get sweet flowers and then the incense straight away, a few minutes later the woods come in. I think this could be a great autumm perfume.

But I totally agree with others that this shouldn't have been called Opium, because with that name you can't help it but compare it with the original one, and I think if you manage not to compare it, and take it as a totally different one it would be a totally different experience. Unfortunatelly I can't separate them.

puddley
puddley

Before everyone gets all dismissive of this scent, remember IT DOESN'T HAVE TO SMELL 'LIKE' OPIUM.
It's lovely as a stand alone fragrance.
Original Opium is magnificent in it's warmth and richness, in fact it's my favourite scent. I was given a pre-sale sample last weekend of the vapeurs and was surprised by how much I liked it. It reminds me more of their 80s Male scent - Kouros, more than Opium which is no bad thing.
It leads with a strong mandarin citrus and dries to reveal more dry spice mingling with the mandarin, a little more complex and much less feminine than it's parent.
I see people talking about it being too light, in comparison to 'opium' of course it's light, it's supposed to be, hence the word Vapeurs! It does however have staying power, it lasted several hours on me.
If you see this odd little loveliness as nothing to do with the original, you might like it very much. I will be getting a bottle when it comes on sale next month, definitely.

jellybeantree

The only eau fraiche I have used is chanel chance eau fraiche . It really lasts! Thats the exception.

Camila_1712
Camila_1712

Amazing bottle!! I'm very happy to see a light version of Opium, I love the fragrances of Yves Saint Laurent!

boyxtoy
boyxtoy

whaaaaaaaaat?? a "ligere" version of THE oriental perfume Opium :|
whyyyyyyy????? f***in' L'Oreaaaaaaaaal :|
:'( nooooooooo
opium is just the heavy, ambery, spicy, sexy, and incensy scent that we love, and so much people hate, that's opium
and now, this "brand" is trying to destroy opium's soul to sell it for the mass??
i'm crying!!! poor YSL, he's going to reborn only to die again 2 times when he see this :'(

querelle
querelle

Another proof, along with all the sport releases fever, that clearly says out loud that modern perfumery is taken over by marketing people, craving more money, more money, more money.. Poor YSL..

jellybeantree

Anything that says Legere or fraiche , I stay away from, never any lasting power, I don't have time to spray my perfume all day!
If I could also add how ysl last few new releases have been beyond average. Sad but true. I don't buy perfume to wear a watered down version of something that evaporates in 20 min. To pay 60 euros for this is ridiculous!

deyutzu90
deyutzu90

It smel amazing, but doesn't stay long on the skin :(( it's really an EDT Légère

AMDs44
AMDs44

I was actually wishing that they release an intensive version of belle because it is so light but this is really promising !!

Opium Vapeurs de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent 3.91 out of 5 based on 374 ratings and 80 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Opium Vapeurs de Parfum fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Opium Vapeurs de Parfum, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Opium Vapeurs de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Opium Vapeurs de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.