Designers » T-Z » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

I have it: 732 I had it: 967 I want it: 379 My signature: 30

aldehydic
Rive Gauche Yves Saint Laurent for women Videos
Rive Gauche Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Rive Gauche was created in 1970 by perfumer Michel Hy. Its name - 'Left Bank'- stands for the left side of the river Seine, an intellectual, hip and slightly more bohemian side of Paris, where YSL boutique is situated. Rive Gauche is a fragrance for free and independent women, a gracious inhabitant of the city who likes the sun and wind more than anything but who is also quintessentially metropolitan.

The well-known and much loved composition of floral aldehydes was enriched in 2000s with clear woody and aromatic accords. The aldehyde note is now surrounded by pelargonium and rose absolute, which somewhat softens the sharp metal note of the original composition, ending with a comfortable combination of oak moss, vetiver, musk and balsamic notes.

And yet those changes leave the fragrance very recognizable - all the way to the arty flacon. It is a great addition to any perfume lover's collection due to its true versatility and impeccable, 'very French' taste. Rive Gauche was launched in 1971.

Aldehydes Honeysuckle Green Notes Peach Bergamot Lemon

Chanel No 19 EDP

Rive Gauche Fragrance Reviews

Radus
Radus

I adore this fragrance. Always buying for my sister. Smells like France for me.

Miss LaCreevy
Miss LaCreevy

Ivoiresearch, I think it is the banana note of Ylang Ylang.
Rive Gauche stands out en maintains itself amids the tsunami of niche perfumes. Even in the reformulated, softer version this perfume has a strong and unique character.

ivoiresearch
ivoiresearch

I love Rive Gauche on other people but on me it smells exactly like ... bananas :( I'd love to know what the ingredient is in there that turns to banana when it meets my skin (doesn't happen with any other perfumes, thankfully....)

FireDragon76
FireDragon76

I think everyone of my mom's generation (baby boomer) had this at some point. It's not a bad fragrance, I just think I have to accept that I don't suit the aldehyde notes because they just become intensified on me and even people who like a fragrance, will hate it on me and I can't wash it off. I read that it's been reformulated and in 2008 I must've tested the reformulated version so I've tried both. I don't want to knock it though and I encourage anyone who usually suits this type of fragrance to try it. Give it some time if you're under 60-65. I prefer the fragrances women who are at least 10 years older than my mom (b.1946) wear/wore.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Absolutely love Rive Gauche. I am not sure what version I have. The bottle is round, a tin, with blue black and silver stripes with no sticker. I actually like the bottle, though would not mind owning the glass bottle. I have the ed t. It is certainly for a confident lady. You know who you are, when wearing this one and I imagine someone literary, intellectually free wearing this fragrance. There is something that is sharp, like the mind of a fine intellectual, there is also something saying "See me take me seriously". However, there is also something casual about this. I have spritzed it and have gotten past the aldehydes, so now am in the floral and woody phase. Truly wonderful and as its name may suggest, most unconventional. I am going to use my bottle sparingly till I can find another somewhere, hopefully the vintage version.

truffles
truffles

I had this as a teenager in the 80s and have been thinking about a revisit for a while.
Have a nice new big bottle now and yes, maybe it's changed a weeny bit - less of a 'metal' heart and a more light and zingy opening - but it's not criminally different and it's probably even lovelier than the original in my opinion!
I have Ma Griffe and see it and RG as very different and distinct from each other. Same category but that's it. Calandre - hmm, I bought and kept that for a while, couldn't warm to it.
One thing - WHY have they stickerised the bottle? I remember the flacon as being pure stripey glorious metal from top to bottom, why fix it if it's not broken??

chuetta
chuetta

This had always been my mothers' signature scent, and she got loads of compliments. I didn't really like it because I prefer floral/fruity, but if you like fresh, bold scents, this is for you.

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

If you can handle the brash, slap you in the face beginning, you will be in for a delicious surprise. I was so thankful to receive a small vintage one to try. On me it turns into a sexy musk overtime. It has a class that a fine old wine may have. It does not smell similar to anything I find on the market today. I am 45 (I say that because I know I would not have liked it if I were any younger)and happy I can enjoy and appreciate this unique scent that takes me back to when perfumes were made with character.

Mistressvoodoodolly

As an addendum to my review, what sticks in my mind is what one reviewer tears ago called the wonderful "rubbery rose" quality this, the original has. I finally get it.

Mistressvoodoodolly

HATED the spray then rediscovered the pure parfum in the early 90s. I adore it now. How they could fuss with this iconic force of nature is beyond me. Monsieur YSL must be rolling over in his grave.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

Rive Gauche, that is the original Rive Gauche, is one of several very nice aldehydic florals scents to come out of its time period, and which I always think of belonging to a group consisting of (at the very least as I'm sure there were many others) Tuxedo by Ralph Lauren, Calandre by Paco Rabanne, Gauloises by Molyneux, Floris' Florissa, and Trigere by Pauline Trigere. I haven't tried lately to find any of these on ebay, but for someone who is desperate to locate this type of scent and cannot take the newest incarnation of Rive Gauche, you might take a chance on sampling one of these others. They are not identical, obviously, but if you're looking for a similar "hit", you could probably obtain pleasure with any of these. My personal favorites from this group are Trigere and Gauloises, which I think might have lasted better on the market if it hadn't been designed to be a cigarette case. Those of us who loathe any kind of tobacco smoke might have assumed that Gauloises was a tobacco-scented fragrance, which it is not. Trigere has an insistent greenness which may be grassiness or maybe not. With the aldehydic florals, I'm never quite sure just what it is I'm smelling.

cecfor
cecfor

This is a review of the current version.

I am a big fan of floral aldehydes. But this one I have difficulties with. I don't know why. I think it smells like a hairspray (I don't think I am biased by the bottle) which many aldehydes do in the top. This hairsprayfeeling does not subside here though. It is a little heavy on a sharp rose and a harsh oakmoss to me. I can see the potential here though and I bet this is one of the former beautys that have been reformulated into something else.

I think it lacks depth and softness. It lacks something solid so sit on. That is the general problem whith reformulattions imo.

rockegg
rockegg

I bought this hoping for more of a trip down memory lane and I was disappointed. I loved this in the 70's and hoped the reformulation would capture more of its heart but to my nose it's about 50% original Rive Gauche and 50% something else entirely. I wish they would have called it something different if they were going to change it this dramatically. C'est ne pas la meme Rive - "Rive Droite" or "Rive Flanker" perhaps. It's not a bad scent in its own right, very cool, dry, powdery. At its worst (shortly after application) it's a bit like the powder room of someone else's house (this makes sense to me) but over time it settles down to something quite lovely, sophisticated, and wearable.

Edit: If you want something sort of similar but better than the modern formulation try 24 Faubourg. It's not the same scent but it has the dry floral quality this has.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is such a distinct fragrance. I think it smells of class, of elegance, of a strong and fun attitude, and it's very, very smart.

It's definitely Avant garde for its notes and the way they build, but it's still a very sophisticated and intelligent perfume. I'm a bit of a literary sort - and it appeals to me because of what it evokes, and it does have a slight bookish redolence to it - you know how pages have a slight dry sweetness to them? That's this.

There's also a perceptible pale liquorice note that surprises me as I don't mind it - normally I'm averse to aniseed or anything that smells remotely like it, but it's quite nice here. It is part of what would make this memorable, mysterious and dare I say, flirtatious.

All up, a lovely oddball scent that would abundantly suit someone a little different.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Here is something you can do for fun: get samples of Rive Gauche, Ma Griffe, and Calandre and smell them all together. (Important safety tip: if there's a thunderstorm going on, make sure you wait until it's over, as having a terrified dog hiding under your desk panting stink-breath at you will in no way enhance your experiment.)

At first spray, Rive Gauche and Ma Griffe both come across with Green and Aldehydes. The difference is that Rive Gauche smells of aldehydes and green rose, whereas Ma Griffe (which, full disclosure, is one of my all-time favorites) smells like green aldehyde powder. At this point there is no comparison to Calandre, because right at the moment of application Calandre smells like soap bubbles. Pleasant, expensive soap bubbles.

But when the three of them dry down they are very VERY similar. Rive Gauche smells like sharp green powder, Ma Griffe smells like round white powder, and Calandre smells like slightly salty powder. Up to you to decide which you prefer.

elaheahsan
elaheahsan

My mother,has one-which is for 16 years ago,when I wasn't even born!-and she looooves it.It's not her dream perfume-which Narciso Rodríguez for her EDP is-but anyway,It's adorable for her.But in my taste,It's completely masculine.My mother says that the first notes are a little!masculine but the dry down is awesome,which I disagree.Well.I think the one who loves Clinique aromatic elixir,will probably love it too.Cause my mother loves both and I,find them similar in some ways.
sillage:1.5/3
longevity:2/3

raverdudes
raverdudes

Is it just me? It probably is... I just received a bottle of this and something about it reminds me of Narciso Rodríguez for her. Am I too off here?

Elviel
Elviel

My goodness this was everywhere in the late '70s early '80s.

All the girls in the typing pool seemed to wear it and one in particular used to carry it around with her all day and often sprayed herself with it in a kind of zig zag motion starting at the hair and ending at the knees. Does that sound like a lot of perfume? Yes! it was.

The reformulation is quite different to the version from the late '70s but still a nice fizzy green, soft powdery floral despite the fact it seems to have ended up in the 'bargain bin' (£27.95 for 50ml at such places as All Beauty).

karrykins
karrykins

"C'est ne'st pas une parfum pour les femmes effaces"

I remember the advertising tag - " Not a perfume for shy women " - and its not , its a huge reference rose aldehyde with tremendous sillage , lasts all day on me and reformulation hasn't destroyed it at all .

Its s shame it hardly registers on the Saint Laurent counters these days because THIS is one of the best rose perfumes ever and I don't think its at all old fashioned but I am not from the generation that thinks all modern perfume should smell of fruit or vanilla pods . I resent some of the comments that its for 'old women" - its for real women as the tag line said all those years ago .
I don't think the new formulation is a flanker - Jacques Polges original scent is there , if people want to blame someone for the necessity to reformulate , don't blame Daniela Andrier and Jacques Hy of Givaudan when it was tweaked in 2003 - they really had little choice because of the regulations parley imposed on natural extracts that had to be replaced with aroma-chmicals (?) and in fact , the new formulation is a bit more gourmand and less metallic in its heart but I have bottles of both and ultimately, the final dry down is identical .

Alexir101
Alexir101

Classic and beautiful - must have again. I think this is YSLs best. And the male version drives me crazy, very ooh la la!

danaklein
danaklein

This is as sexy as it gets! I used to think of it as a tobacco fragrance but it's the metallic sharpness that mislead me so far.

Scentmad
Scentmad

An amazing perfume.

I know a lot of fume heads are lamenting the old/original - I confess I have a stash of the vintage.

I remember this from years ago - it was my older sister's signature fragrance and every time I smell it I am reminded of her. I would say that back then - as a teenager myself I did snaffle the odd spray only to find it gave me the worst headaches despite loving it soooooo much, it didn't love me.

As I have grown older I have, from time to time, had a bash at this beauty and for the past few years I am - FINALLY - getting the love back.

The old/original version and the new version, whilst they share some characteristics, are not the same. I love the older version because of the memories it invokes but the latter is wearable. I think if the latter was the only version buyers knew, they wouldn't be disappointed but the bar was set high I grant you.

I also think that some perfumes have that whole nostaligic thing going on because of the time, place, my age and the memories. I was a teen/early twenty-something in the '80's and I have an extreme fondness (aka borderline obsession - 'scuse the pun) for perfumes from that era. Yes I know it was launched in 1970 but for me it just screams 1980's because that's when I discovered it/was aware of it.

Amazing though and it's been around 44 years. Not bad for a tin of perfume really.

Finally got to sample this classic YSL. My initial impression was that it smelled much too much like any old forgettable drugstore perfume--sickeningly powdery and cloying like face powder that broke loose out of a compact from the 70's. I wasn't expecting it to smell so generic. After a few minutes, it became much nicer and developed an individuality. It smelled like mossy rose, white flowers, and some peach. It became a little less powdery and a little sweeter too, with a touch of golden honey. Now I see the fuss and why this is a classic! Very feminine, albeit old-fashioned.

It has this je ne sais quoi about it, a note that I can not pinpoint that makes me love it more and more as it remains on my skin. It wears so well, blending in with my chemistry with time and patience, leaving a womanly and confident aura around me.

For me, I think there is still too much powdery aldehyde. I don't think I would add this to my collection at this point in my olfactive journey, but I certainly appreciate it and would come back to it when my taste in perfume inevitably evolves and changes back to chypre-lover.

death_by_water
death_by_water

Strange one...
In its intermediate stage, I get a mint+milk powder combination on my skin. Very ethereal.

The dry-down, however, is very harsh and metallic on my skin.

halalula1234
halalula1234

BEAUTIFUL scent,
some my perceive it as an older woman's scent
but if you sniff it closely, its actually very feminine and lovely.
It all depends on the person! I personally love it.

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

"What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Addams

What seems beautiful for most is a train wreck to the senses for another. I know this is a classic and MUCH beloved perfume. This is the beauty of perfumes, it does different things to and for different people. Lucky are those of you who have positive associations with Rive Gauche. I wasn't so fortunate.

As a child in the 70's I recall smelling it on a loud and rather rude lady who was a substitute teacher who used to douse herself with this. She became quickly disliked and her stench very memorable. This was strike one.

Strike two occurred during the 80s, when it seemed every other budding yuppie was dousing themselves with this shrill and heady perfume. To me, it was like listening to someone learning to play the violin. Meant to be an instrument of elegance and beauty, but the notes kept screeching on and seemed to never end so there was no option other than to find a way to encounter peace somewhere else.

Fast forward into the 90s, there was older me...selling perfumes at a high end shoppe in a beach side town which I shall not name. I recognized the bottle and wondered why I even disliked this classic? I used to dislike Opium when it launched but as I got older and my senses became somewhat more sophisticated, I actually began to like it (in the bottle, mind you). So I figured I'd spray myself (error #1) with good old classic Rive Gauche and hoped it would work out for my 20 something self now that I was of an age those women were when I had my run-ins with it.

And BAM there it was, like tiny needles injecting themselves into my nose and inducing my first migraine. I felt like the cartoon where the guy gets hit over the head with a huge mallet then has birds circling his head while singing. Oh yes, I felt the big old hit but, but, I CAN HEAR THE BIRDS NOW though!

I learned then that it was that sharp aldehydic & vetiver scent which hammered me so intensely. It did such a number on me that even after 20 minutes I faintly could appreciate the lovely dry down of it. And yes, believe that it IS very lovely dry down. After that first stab of those brutal notes, ANYTHING ELSE seemed lovely.

Now Rive Gauche was supposedly named and inspired by the avant-garde movement in France. But, I felt like the dissected, online dictionary version of it felt more apt in my case.

Rive 1. split or tear apart violently.
Gauche 1. lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.

Maybe my dislike of it is simply due to negative association in my past? Or maybe it just became more concrete that this perfume and I were simply not made for each other thanks to my body chemistry. I always found the bottle to have pretty colors at least. But either way I flipped it, it still wasn't working out for me. I'm happy to see so many cooing such love for this perfume that has stood the test of time, but I guess this is another one of those times where I am a raven amongst doves.

C'est la vie.

tiffingirl
tiffingirl

I love the vintage but the modern is just as lovely. Do not let the change-haters put you off .

veda
veda

Plastique Rive...
I love this one but I really don't get it why that beautiful glass bottle became plastic.More powdery than the original pre-reformulated Rive Gauche.
A little bit spicy and green.If you enjoy woody perfumes with a vintage nostalgia this one will fits you great.Remember, it is quite strong and not easy to wear!!

SweetDesire
SweetDesire

I was exceptionally reticent to try Rive Gauche again after the negative reviews I had heard and read about following it's reformulation.
Thanks to a swap with a gorgeous fellow fragrantican I finally got to try this baby again yesterday.
I was instantly transported back to the 70's when I gave this little baby her first outing.
You will forgive me (I hope) for perhaps allowing a little nostalgia to creep in with my thoughts and feelings. But I have to say, wistfulness for the past aside I consider myself extremely fortunate to completely by-pass the metallic opening some have had the misfortune to experience. On me we go straight into honeysuckle and jasmine followed closely by just the right amount of oakmoss. This girl is not for the faint-hearted, just as she wasn't the first time around. But if you want to feel confident and just a little bit sassy you could do a lot worse than try this one. And now, just as back then, less is more!

amelie

I don't know whether it's my signature, but spinning in my life for years!Those sharp notes that many feel metallic simply disappear on my skin, leaving only beautiful soft dry down. A fantasy! If I could, I ordered 10 bottles to have it always with me. Come to think of all the perfume I wore, I always fell in love again with magnificent Rive Gauche.

Atreyu_Crimmins
Atreyu_Crimmins

If there is one fragrance to challenge Estée as my signature, this is it. But I have long felt that we are conned into believing the fallacy that every woman should have a 'signature fragrance' and prefer the polyamorous approach, fragrantically speaking ;-)

Charmed by visions of 1920s cafés on the Left Bank, I can totally see why this fragrance attracts a particular type of person; chic, literary, confident, articulate. What I adore about RG is the drydown, which smells to me of honeysuckle, rose, vetiver and oakmoss, and lasts for hours. The metal atomiser is a brilliant idea and I’m surprised it hasn’t been copied by other houses.

The opening is metallic in an angular, mossy sort of way but you are soon ensconced in a spell of the sensuous. The flowers cut through the soapy aldehydes and you are enveloped in woodsy, resinous and aromatic notes (vetiver, oakmoss, musk) that blend with the cool aldehydes to create an intensely sophisticated scent. As I type, the air around me is rich with a stunning floral bouquet that smells like nothing else. The sillage is incredible.

I wasn’t around in the 70s to appreciate the original formulation, but the modern Rive Gauche is every bit as alluring and beautiful as I imagined it to be when I first read about it.

Naji
Naji

WAY TOO MUCH GRIEVING over the old version! I get it, we all love to cuddle with nostalgia and familiarity. The seventies original was to die for. You know what? The new version is also incredible! all the new niche concoctions glorified and over priced, don't come close. Just as YVRESSE is in a class of its own, honestly, I've never come across anything like it, so is RIVE GAUCHE. Simply sumptuous!

Scout
Scout

Years ago I went reading about for quality old-school scents and this one kept coming up. I bought a can and can honestly say I don't get it. In fact it's been sitting in a box in my closet for at least 4 years I have had no interest whatsoever to try it again. On me, it starts metallic and I'm a sheet of steel by the end of three hours. (Guess the can container is well-played). Can someone tell me what to layer this with? Or is this a by-product of reformulation?
Edit: Afterthought post-script. Did someone say AquaNet hairspray? Yes, definitely. AquaNet. Yep, that's it.

Moonflower2012
Moonflower2012

I first bought this when I had my first job and could finally afford a bottle of 'proper' perfume. The first surprise was that it came in a metal spray can, rather than a bottle. The second surprise was that it wasn't anything like I had expected it to be. Though I did keep on wearing it, having spent so much money - it took a good bite out of my first pay packet! And, whacky and off beat though it was, I did grow to love it.

Now, when I think back to those days, I think of Rive Gauche. I'd love to be able to buy it again and relive those old memories, triggered by the scent.

Unfortunately, it's been reformulated, so that won't happen. It wouldn't matter how good the reformulation was, it would just jar on my senses as being different from the way I remember it.

Change? I don't like change. No matter if it smells better. No matter if it's better for the environment. No matter if it's less toxic for me. I just want perfumes to smell the way that I remember them!

benzippo

Disastrous reformulation which is a caricature of its former glorious self. The nuance is just off tracked and does not smell like Rive Gauche

Am getting more and more disgusted by the day after finding out one after another of those lovely classic fragrances has either been altered and butchered to such sad conditions.

Might as well just discontinued it altogether rather than continue to cheat customers of their hard earned cash with offerings that are merely imposters and yet pathetically, manufactured legitimately.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Another lovely Classic to my shopping list. Why I have not paid any attention to this before. Friend of mine mentioned about this and now, wooow! Oh Boy what a beauty this scent is. And sertainly not the kind every female walking by smells the same. Quite light to my nose after 3 days Shalimar wearing, but beautifully white floral (?) with. Another scent group I adore. Only that white little dress is missing.
Edit; well reading all of these writings of vintage Rive Gauche. I am maby lucky I have not had chanse to sniff it, or have not found it before if I may say so. If I would have, I am not sure if I would love this one as much as I do now. I have not where to compare it. But its lovely for me like it is in these days on the bottle. For me this is quite much to do with Vetiver and Oak Moss with little hints of flower notes. I take this to be one of those best Vetiver scents for ladies I have tried. I need to get few bottles of this before they go to discontinue this also. ;D

Corazon Esperanza
Corazon Esperanza

Lovely fragrance. I had a bottle back in 1979 & used it as a deodorant. I could wear it any time of the day, especially in the office. Love the combination jasmine/rose/gardenia/lilies. Too bad I can't find a bottle anywhere these days.

Jekku
Jekku

My mom had this when I was a child. She stopped wearing this at some point, but still when I smell someone wearing it, I always think of her.
I think I couldn't wear this myself, it's too 70's and too much aldehydes.

frances71
frances71

was the fragrance of my mom during my first 6-7 years of life. I really love this fragrance, for me it is a source of memories!

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

A beautiful dirty rose that always cheers me up and gets the job done in the most reliable way.

stormyla
stormyla

This is a fragrance that I wore and loved in the early 70's. The fragrance was considered very avant garde at the time and was marketed to the newly "liberated" woman. It was a very pleasant scent, definitely sweet with good sillage and a lot of staying power. The TV commercials for this perfume were very memorable. I saved for quite a few months to buy my first bottle of this one.

As was always the case with me, when this scent started to become popular I moved on, to Caleche I think. Alas the years have not been kind to Rive Gauche. I've purchased 5 different bottles of the vintage scent over the past 2 years. Unfortunately every bottle, whether glass or metal had suffered multiple note deterioration. The fragrances were definitely recognizable, just incomplete and lacking in projection or staying power or both.

If you are looking for the vintage juice, just be aware of this possibility and make your purchase priced accordingly. I will content myself with memories of this lovely fragrance and of those exciting times when I dreamt of nights along the Left Bank!

esmerelda69
esmerelda69

Saved like mad for Rive Gauche in the 70's, loved it, quite edgy I thought.
Well 6mnths ago I bought a large can of it and to my horror it has changed. Found out soon after and felt let down.
Anyway it smells corrosive/caustic to me at first blast, the dry down does not get better until it's been on my skin for hours and even then I don't like it at all. Why oh why?

Soignee
Soignee

I had this in the mid-1970s, and it was lovely. It was crisp, floral, woody and soapy. It smelled clean and glamorous.

Unfortunately, the reformulation has ruined it. It now smells like bug spray on me.

osva.loves.leica
osva.loves.leica

Well, I used to wear this one as my everyday fragance. It was in the 80's and 90's.
It used to be perfect in my taste: Not so sweet, very well balanced.
Unfortunately, the scent has changed since 2003, and God, HUGE mistake! Nowadays it gives me nausea and headache, nothing but a big headache!

I remember the smell used to be pretty much the same along the day, like the first minute.
How could they do this? I just cannot understand.
I had the perfect scent. Now it becomes useless, so sad =(

evocative
evocative

I used to wear this a lot in the 80's.
I loved the scent, the bottle - I even loved the ads!
( " Rive Gauche: not for the subdued" and a poster of a woman's hand on the bottle she'd just used to shatter a glass cafe table)
I put it on yesterday and after wearing it for a few hours, I had to shower to remove it because it became too, too sweet.
It was giving me a headache.
I remember it as starting sweet and sharp, and staying sweet and sharp.
Now it just dries down to sickly sweet on me.
Sad :-(

IzzieTerrance
IzzieTerrance

Right after spraying - this smells harsh and a lot like a hair salon - a little like dye, hairspray and metal scissors.

However, once it tries down it becomes the most beautiful, inviting and unique floral scent. It smells "old" yes, but the good kind of vintage-y old, like a great jacket you find at Goodwill and never want to take off.

The longevity is absolutely insane, I caught a wiff of it on a piece of clothing a MONTH after I had put it away after wearing Rive Gauche.

It's beautiful, but not for everyone. Takes a certain type of person and attitude to pull this off.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

I've only tried the vintage Rive Gauche of which I still have a few drops left in the beautiful 1980's crystal enameled bottle with a thread cap which is unfortunately damaged.

Back in the eighties I shared it with my sister and while she would use it as a day scent, I liked for going out as a night replacement of my more formal and still beloved Calèche. Being both excellent floral aldehydes they seem very different to my nose. RG use of peach and honeysuckle in its unmistakable aldehydic beginning transforms it completely into a sparkling fruity side which is far from Calèche white citrus start. In the middle notes RG includes all of Calèche's and adds geranium and magnolia, but whereas in Calèche the main stars are the white flowers in my opinion RG gives rose the main roll. The base notes with which the flower stage merges is as well very similar to Calèche's one though without cedar note which I like so much. If I compare RG with Calandre instead, I find it sweeter and less green and distant in the dry down.

RG was a high quality scent that reviewed the already classic floral aldehyde compositions of previous decades with a new 70's approach. Though I like it I prefer Calandre by the same nose which was designed as more reserved but far more modern.

Nevertheless I treasure this vintage gem.

9-na
9-na

Had modern Rive Gauche. It smelled of toffee on my skin. Toffee made of aldehydes with something firtree-ish to them. Toffee with a touch of scary stories, the kind that live on as children tell them to each other in summer camps. I loved to wear the scent on my personal days of laughter, 'cause it added to the fun of it all.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

Strange , sharp & harsh perfume ..I was gifted with it when I was a teen and seeing it was Yves Saint Laurent "original " made me almost faint with happiness till I sprayed it ....BAM ! the smell of hair perm combined with sour lime ..This is a hippy smell & it smells like a hippie indeed ..I have had the original formula which was so harsh , but read above and heard it was toned down now and became better so try it if you're sporty , rich girl with perfect tan and a hippie side ...Lastly , I should say the bottle is a huge disappointment , a tin can ! that's it really ..I am sucker for lovely bottles and can't deny it, this was the worst designer bottle idea ...

bettybluebell
bettybluebell

Rive Gauche hits me hard and zooms me directly back to my parent's cocktail parties in the seventies. This fragrance was worn by a tall, tanned woman in preppy(lime green/pink) clothes, with masculine short hair, and loving her gin cocktails. No really, I think I know this woman. This is a brash tangy scent that still has something kind of nice about it. In of itself it reminds me of a gin cocktail. On the right body chemistry it could be very good. Otherwise, it could go terribly wrong!

Angelinapink
Angelinapink

My best friend Jane used to wear this, and it always remind me of her. It smelt fabulous on her, but it just isn't me. Too brash, too harsh and so unmistakeable. A perfect signature scent if you want to be noticed!
Amazing sillage. Lovely blue packaging.

Ihab
Ihab

As many stated my mother used to wear it in late seventies and eighties, and my god I loved it.

antfarm
antfarm

Rive Gauche goes on the skin smelling like perming solution. It then strangely morphs into what strikes me as roses, soap, and coconut.

Sheridan72
Sheridan72

A co-worker of mine wears this and it smells like fish on her! No kidding, fish. By the end of the day I am heaving sitting in the same room as her, she ays she has worn it all her life OMG, NO!!!!

amelie

I'm into old classics, but I do like reformulated Rive Gauche, it's softer and less metallic, still radiates. And lasts whole day!
It's one of the few fragrances that is no longer the same, and I still love it.

AngelaChase
AngelaChase

So the formula has been changed and rearranged? I wonder why...because this new version is not very good! This was my grandmothers favourite perfume, and my mother has wanted to buy this for more than 20 years, but didn’t want to spend that much money on a perfume (It was about $165 here in Australia). So last Christmas I bought it for her, along with 4 other perfumes (So she would stop using all of mine ha ha).
I know when she is wearing it because she smells like pepper and mothballs!
There’s nothing feminine or womanly about it at all, and every time I smell it, it comes off as a man's cologne more than a woman's perfume!
The reason it’s not good is because it’s basically, completely synthetic! There is no smell of any actual notes or fragrances. I mean, if it leaves someone smelling like pepper, mothballs and dusty rooms...I don’t even want to know what the original fragrance smelt like.
I’m very surprised this has not been discontinued when so many great perfumes have been taken off the market in favour of this?
I would say it’s a step up from what’s known as an “Old lady perfume” which is usually a heavy dose of sandalwood and off-musk! So it’s not as bad as that composition, but it’s still in that category.
I can only see this being worn correctly by Asian business women in their 30’s wearing Gucci suits, as there’s something slightly oriental and business-like about it! It’s very intimidating!
Good for dry skin types, will last for 6/7 hours and 3/4 hours on moist skin types!
DEFINITELY a night perfume...feels like a punch in the face to smell this on someone during the day.

mrgeebee
mrgeebee

Look what they've done to my song Ma!!
L'oreal's current reformulation is the colossal fuckup of all time.I was content with the Tom Ford era take on Rive Gauche..Steely aldehydes and green Vetiver soaked Rose.I recently bought a backup and gave it away after 6 sprays.Mediocre,base and truly rank.Dont bother..

Pitchlara
Pitchlara

As I've never been a big fan of aldehyde, except L'Aimant, or one of my classmates did "malperfume" of this, she wore way too much of it when she came to English literature class (lol), I can't say I love this perfume. It is very YSL in many ways including the bright colour package.
I do not particularly like some interesting mix of powdery and metallic sharpness (aptly implied by this package!). But in my opinion, there are 2 amazing characteristics which make this perfume outstanding.
1) Strong but decent
2) you can wear it anytime, office, day, outdoor, night if you like.

There are not many unpredictable perfumes like this nowadays.
I also think this is a perfume for young people.

pfhope
pfhope

I really like the smell of this fragrance on others as it blossoms into a wonderfully unique metallic floral. However it just doesn't work with my bodychem as it transforms into a sickly sweet floral. Definently recommend that you give this perfume a good hour or so on your skin before purchasing as this perfume does vary dramatically from one person to another.

nananessa
nananessa

Vintage Version

An absolute MASTERPIECE, a most bright, bold, vivacious, lively, flirty, vividly feminine knockout of Old South Flowers, if there ever was one. It's beauty, charm, boldness, strength, provocative---possessing something dark that gave it mystery & depth-amazing! I am not sure why, but I always think of Scarlet O'Hara's (Vivien Leigh) delicate, vixen, stellar beauty, character, boldness to pursue what she wants, even to the point of being southern belle gauche. But it was clock-stopping gauche beauty, was it not? Maybe a little over the top, but so darned breathtakingly beautiful that even a little tackiness can be overwhelmingly sexy & seductive. My husband really loved RG & he almost never commented on my 'fumes. But that one got him. He would eventually go buy it for me at Miller's in the mall. I wore it about 2 years non-stop. A little more strength than you really need, but abundance here is awesome.
It was always amazing that such a gorgeous treasure could come blasting out of a CAN! I mean, IT IS A METAL CAN, FOLKS, that always felt cool, almost cold in my hand, with it's cool shade of true blue with just a touch of turquoise, cool glistening silvertone, & coal black banding around the can. Cool colors, sharp, crisp, modern & they started showing up all over the place.
He broke silly color misconceptions & paired black with deep rich browns or sapphire blue, or even dark navy with black. He started trends. I did "color analysis" back then, & that black-blue-silver combo swept the nation as we learned about color & image & fashion embraced vivid brights. His color combinations were new & fresh.
Even the name "Rive Gauche" was very different & in my mind, it foretold of beautiful contradictions in the fragrance that made it so special like really great ones do. I didn't/don't speak French but it's easy to see that "Rive" is "River" & "Gauche"....now that throws a most intriguing monkey-wrench factor of contradiction implied into the name for my way of thinking.
Anytime I ever heard the word "Gauche" from my southern elders growing up, it was always used to refer to someone who was "tacky" "uncouthed", probably lacking refined tastes or manners of convention or protocol. But it was especially used in reference to attire. If someone dressed really gauche, it was different with a tinge of tacky. Modern vernacular calls this "left base" or "left field" or heck---even QuicksDraw McGraw exited stage "left", didn't he? "Gauche" in French means "left"; it also means, tacky & wacky! LOL. Love it.
Now back when this came out, I remember reading somewhere about how it was named for the very *bohemian* left bank on the Seine where many of the artists, painters & musicians lived. 'Could have been a mag article or newspaper----but from the info I read on it & promo pix I had seen, it looked a lot like a section of Nashville's Cumberland River that cuts right through the heart of the music capital that I had visited once. And there at the waterfronts, clubs, coffeehouses, cafes, lounges, dinner bars, honky-tonks, juke-joints, tourist shops, lovely riverside parks abound giving the area such a Bohemian vibe. (Little 5 Points in Atlanta or Underground bohemian but no riverfront). Lots of musicians, songwriters, painters, artists & actors/performers hang out all the time there & it makes for a very interesting place. If Nashville had been like that, I imagined that the left bank of the Seine must be a lot like that & Martha's Vineyard, too. Think very cosmopolitan, sophistication, alluring complexities. *Do your own thing!* the motto of the time.
So in many ways the name was perfectly fitting. There was an associated "gauche" quality to YSL's RG that came on strong---like knock you out with the cloud. But give it time. Nothing quite like it. Perfect choices of notes to compose this beauty. One of my all-time favorites that I know I need to revisit again.

mereltje
mereltje

I always had de vintage RG and it was delicious and longer lasting then the reformulated scent. I think this is (for me!) one of the best perfumes there is. I really love this one, it is clean, fresh and making me happy when I wear it. I agree that it is a real pitty that they have reformulated this perfume...It doensn't have the staying power it had before.

sally.west1
sally.west1

I bought a bottle of this in 1975 from a very posh department store - I also bought a bottle for my sister. We had just lost our mum and were only in our teens and I wanted to buy something special to cheer us both up. My perfume experience up to then had been "Charlie" and "Just Musk", "Aqua Manda" and some Avon fragrances so this was a luxury purchase and very special. I bought Rive Gauche at the time because a lot of the classic frangrances just seemed too old for us and I loved the jazzy bottle and it was a "trendy" perfume at the time. I wore it for a few years but now whenever I smell it, it reminds me of losing my mum and I don't think I would every wear it again. Sad, as its a lovely scent - very crisp and fresh and totally original with a warm undercurrent - I always feel its a winter perfume but perhaps that's because I bought it first in January.

Zenobia274
Zenobia274

Not a fan of aldehydes...but this is a true classic, a 'cheer up' tonic. Stylish, refined, elegant and yet light at the same time...great for work, or wafting an afternoon through an art gallery.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Unrepentantly perfumey: aldehydes, rose, jasmine, too many notes more, but, for me, an air of fresh white paint on everything. Cold but relaxing, familiar but stark. Hazy dream spray, cinematic. Lighted mirrors, face powder in large clean clouds, flashbulbs, white roses and hairspray on chignons. Truffaut's 'Day for Night:' it is a movie set scent of utilitarian illusion that will be read as romance to the audience. The container always looks like film roll. Not to snob but the reformulation is flat and unemotional--anorexic slack-jawed Keira Knightly in Garbo's sharp lines and sphinx role-- I will only wear the old formula, sprayed on a silk scarf, as an anachronistic elixir of confidence. On most anyone of any age, there is a sort of playing dress up little girl teetering around in her mother's too large heels air to Rive Gauche, and that is its gauche and its perfection. But that young girl is the best of actors, as most importantly she is not all costume.

jedrzejowskia
jedrzejowskia

Why oh why do they re-formulate perfumes.... :-(
This was my very first perfume, I was 15 perhaps? I thought it smelled very grown up and I liked to smell different. I might have used it for a year or two, tried it on recently and it just didn't smell right at all on me.

ora
ora

30+ years ago my then-boyfriend went to Paris and brought me back Rive Gauche. I was a perf junkie even then but I had never worn anything like this. In truth I hated it, but I loved the GUY so I wore it every day, including our wedding day. Soon after my DH, in an intimate moment, said he loved everything about me--except my perfume. I burst out laughing, as he was the one who bought it. "It looked like a nice bottle, but I never smelled the stuff!" So much for men buying fragrance. But at least I never had to wear RG again. I love green scents as a rule, but this one is a lobotomy.

LADYJSN
LADYJSN

This parfume is very interesting to me,misterious , feminine, somehow strong but at the same time smells like white roses . It could be ideal for wedding , I suppose.Classic, but it lasts forever and its beauty is unchangeable!

rufus sweep
rufus sweep

Crisp, elegant and metalic - I simply adore it!

erilika
erilika

Gods how I love the bottle design.

I always think of a sharp knife every time i smell Rive Gauche. Pierce through my heart, and i take it willingly.

id
id

Nice aldehydes and flowers. A little bit sweet for my nose, but aldehydes, musk and vetiver saves the day. Elegant subtle fragrance, very French and classic. For colder weather or hot summer evenings for a special date. Even I won't rebuy this I like and appreciate the scent.

w.voermans
w.voermans

this original was a beautiful scent. I wore it every day since my age of 16 years old until a few years ago. Since it is reformulated i don't wear it any more.( my taste is not changed of my age.) I miss the metalic scent and since that time i tried a lot of other perfumes but i don't like them very much.
Who knows where i can find the original one?

Smelling strict enough fragrance!

The vetiver and oakmoss notes are the most noticeable in it. Also the aldehyde, musk and ylang-ylang notes are noticeable enough, too. Mixed with the freesia note they bring a metallic scent a little bit sometimes.

Actually, this fragrance doesn't seem to me pleasant. It's not the best by Yves Saint Laurent for sure, imho.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I want this perfume sooooo bad!! anybody wants to swap it for something else? See my perfume wardrobe:)
take care

NEWS!!
THANK YOU to the lovely belladonna'sbliss for sending me a bottle in a swap!! And it seems to be a pre-reformulation of it too! :)

cleo777
cleo777

My mother wore this as her signature scent along with L'interdit (the original). She loved her aldehydes! And they did smell nice on her. With my chemistry, not so much.

alchimia72
alchimia72

I think it's impossible not to like this fragrance. When I wear it I smell of good. It's elegant, french, and of great class. I find it similar to Calandre, but this is discontinued! I don't know the original formula but i like the new one, maybe the version not reformulated is better but this one is lovely.

pfcs
pfcs

A '70's scent is modern to me, as most of my favorites are from the '20's through the '50's! I did have a bottle when it was new and remember liking it just fine.

pollyjean23
pollyjean23

Cool & Gracious Sophisticate

Feeling a bit underdressed for this fragrance today. I wanted to wear it so badly, and I applied it despite the fact that I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts. This tells me something about Rive Gauche. It's a classic that manages to feel modern at the same time, and it's best suited for women of strength and character. Neither aloof nor stuffy, it's gracious, shrewd, and always sophisticated. Rive Gauche seems like a great fragrance to wear for dressier evening occasions in the city and for work.

The initial burst of green and citrus is tempered by warm stone fruits. The soft rose appears quite early and stays throughout the entire middle portion. It is accompanied by many other soft, comforting notes such as geranium and iris. The temperature is kept low by grassy vetiver and dusty oak moss. The warm, powdery florals, the dusty base notes, and the metallic aldehyde and citrus tinge congregate to produce a pleasant soapiness that is more fresh than it is old fashioned or cosmetic. The soapiness and cool, metallic effect you get with Rive Gauche makes it quite wearable for men, as well as, women.

fkollmeier
fkollmeier

this is an absolutely gorgeous and timeless fragrance! comforting ant evocative as well as classic and avant grade at the same time! ysl have done a great job with this and added just the right amount of the magic lilly of the valley! this is by far the most noticeable note in the dry down along with aldehydes and mossy florals.most suitable for middle-aged ladies and for a rather formal evening dinner or gala.

i think it goes well with the famous ysl y or even shalimar by guierlain. the same kind of understated, classy fragrance!

Jacster
Jacster

I used to *love* this, but I was wearing it on a day when something very distressing happened to me and now every time I smell it it brings back the awful feelings of that day.

Fragrance is just so powerful, so evocative. It can transport you across the globe and across the decades.

Sometimes it's a curse to have such a powerful companion!

Cookie2
Cookie2

I have always loved this scent. In the 80's I owned a bottle but I didn't wear it much and in retrospect I realise that I was really too young to carry it off. I own a bottle again and if I'm honest, I don't find much difference in the reformulated version. It is a gorgeous rose aldehyde. I read in one perfume review book that it smelt like "the scent Russion spies would have worn to seduce James Bond" and that really sums it up. It is the epitomy of femininity and woman. It is the scent of a sassy, chic woman who knows her own mind. A free and independent woman. The sillage and staying power are superb - this EDT lasts all day and into the night - it is strong! It is also a little dated. But I wear it periodically and always enjoy it when I do. I believe it is one of the true classics. The metal bottle and design are iconic.

iivanita
iivanita

i own dia from amouage, but if i smelled this one first maybe i would buy that one instead, it smells metallic still, its floral, and aldehidiyc perfect feminine scent, for women that wear black suit and white shirt :) its so well balanced combination of flowers, and it has great aura! just in my city i cant find it! for me its in the same group as Dia , but this one is touch better, more rounded and more balanced composition in artistic way.

Kiku
Kiku

I wore Rive Gauche a lot when it first came out. If memory serves me right(it has been almost 40 years!)this was a powerhouse perfume. Heady and demanding, it said, "I'm here!". Today's Rive Gauche is still a mixture of Southern flowers: magnolia, jasmine, and gardenias but with a bit of green to soften and cool it down. It has lost that slightly metallic edge. It is more of a lady and less the Diva. Lovely and hauntingly feminine. A must have.

lostintheshadow
lostintheshadow

Smells alright on some other people, but headache inducing on me. A bit too mature for someone my age perhaps. Also, my dad's partner wears it, so it would be kind of creepy if I did too. Not sure if it was the reformulation or vintage that I tried, however.

Aysu
Aysu

I have never tried the original one, before the reformulation, but new version is good enough for me to love! Opening is quite old fashioned (not in a bad way), upon first sniff you get an aldehyde bomb mixed with strong floral tones, very soapy, powdery. Feels like you smell a bottle transported from 70s. But after 1-2 hours, it becomes a green floral, citrus notes starts to show themselves blended with the most elegant floral notes. On my skin it becomes so green that my friends commented how fresh scent I have on! It is hard to believe that this aldehyde bomb morphs into such a modern scent in 1-2 hours. Such an interesting pyramid...
Be patient, give it 1-2 hours and enjoy this beauty

drummagick
drummagick

I had a bottle of Rive Gauche shortly after it was released. I remember it smelling nice, but not for me at the young age I was then.

I just received a small decant of new Rive Gauche today, and it smells nothing like what I remember the old smelling like.

This smells exactly like cheap, scented soap on my skin.

No thank you.

paulie86
paulie86

I loove Rive Gauche! it's such a classy elegant perfume. I had the pleasure yesterday of trying the original on one wrist and the modern formulation on the other wrist. Honestly I didn't really sense a difference in the two versions except the opening notes. The original has a powdery resinous opening that smelled kind of stale, the box of the tester in the perfume shop looked really old and beat up so maybe it wasn't cared for and the top notes went off but the drydown was simply beautiful powdery soft florals with a hint of green in the backgound. The downside was it didn't last on my skin maybe twenty minutes then it was gone.

The newer version is breathtaking it's the version I prefer sorry everyone! The opening is fresher as i've read on other perfume review sites. It starts off with a powdery rootiness and the drydown gets more woodsy it's creamier and the powdery florals are more pronounced. The drydown turns into a more generic classic perfume scent peach with an aldyhydic undertone that I got from Arpege and First I like this fragrance more though. Then it turns into a very feminine scent with more powder and a hint of musk. The scent life was amazing I think one spritz lasted 8 hours and I was walking around in the cold all day so it'll definitely last on warmer days. I got no cold metallic notes from either and I didn't sense any citrus. Both are beautiful and I wouldn't mind owning both but the new version is beautiful in it's own right so if you can't find the old the new is a good subsitute.

EDIT 2/6/2012: I picked this up a couple days ago and i'm absolutely loving it! The more I wear the more it reminds me of Chanel no. 19 but without the leather notes. Rive Gauche is such a gorgeous scent it's a sweet powdery green floral based on galbanum, rose, iris and aldehydes the drydown is woodsy with hints of moss and musk. I'll definitely be repurchasing when I run out.

Lindalashy
Lindalashy

On a cool spring day with clear blue skies. The scent you wear to get things done, at least to me it has an energizing effect.I love this perfume. Syntethic, yes, but it really works on me. I hardly ever wear it though I dont wanna get tired of it. But it is not for everyone and I am thankful for that. I am not everyone! Very special scent -unlike anything. But in a GOOD way!
Oh, and the BOTTLE! Timeless classic.

nicenspice
nicenspice

Rive Gauche was my signature scent as a teen.I love unusual "love 'em or hate 'em" perfumes like this one.I'd rather go naked ( perfumeless) than wear a run-of-the-mill,could-be-anything kind of fragrance.
In a fit of nostalgia and dispairing at ever finding another unusual signature scent after too many women had stolen my Thierry Muglar Angel from me.I bought a bottle of RG..what a disappointment.A sexy sassy perfume has been turned into fly spray.Now it sits sadly at the back of a drawer,a metaphor for my lost youth.Tragic.

sirop de Liège
sirop de Liège

I used to wear Rive Gauche when I was young, so recently, in a melancholy mood, I decided to try a tester in the store. My god, where did the original scent go to? This new version is far more synthetic then the old one. It is sad when a good perfume is 'updated'.

Decodawn
Decodawn

Fresh, confident, captivating, unique are the words that describe this fragrance, a very 1980's fragrance that is having a revival at the moment along with other big 80's fragrances to fit the fashion opium, poison if you want an original 1980's daytime fragrance this is just gorgeous

Sunfllowers
Sunfllowers

It warms up the skin sensually, very feminine and classic, strong

GugaGaidzak
GugaGaidzak

You may not like this, but the YSL Maison can be anything, but dull,and is one of a few that deserves respect. Vintage and modern at the same time......still producing classics like this one.....

i say...

wow

Migalex
Migalex

To me this is by far the best YSL perfume, although since it was launched usually the cheapest one, which shows that quality is nothing to do with price. It is the most classical one and a true landmark in the history of perfumery. Very, very sophisticated. Like all good perfumes, it is not supposed to be sniffed off your skin, because it does have a good projection and the smell is different from close on and at a distance. It opens with strong aldehyds ,lemon and honeysuckle, and in the heart gardenia and geranium are the most noticeable notes, mostly gardenia. This is a real perfume, one can only catch its beauty on another person. As for the scent, I do not find the reformulation as good as the original, but strength, projection and longevity are much better. Staying power, although not bad, is not great either.

celygould
celygould

I wear this fragrance when I'm in the 'mood' - It's rich and can be heady; very powdery scent. A delight for one who enjoys viva le difference. I wore this years ago and a friend gifted me with another spritz of it. I enjoy 'sometimes'as it can be too strong for my senses.

poppyvanhaarm
poppyvanhaarm

very foreign and unusual...yet pleasant

dog&butterfly
dog&butterfly

My mom was given this perfume by a French exchange student. She hated it, and I loved it! So, I whisked off her vanity and back to college with me. Whenever I go to France, I buy a bottle of Rive Gauche. I was delighted to learn that Rive Gauche also had nail polish and other cosmetics. I still wear Rive Gauche. It is my signature sent. I have noticed that the scent has changed, but I didn't realize it was reformulated.

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

Once upon a time there was an elegant floral named Rive Gauche. Its captivating chic beauty entranced women of all ages.

Jasmine, lily of the valley and other fragrant flowers were all part of the aromatic bouquet that surrounded Rive Gauche's wearers like a satiny cloud.

This perfume lasted and lasted, with wonderful sillage and it was a true gem, really reminiscent of the ambience of Paris' left bank.

THEN...

One day the big bad Reformulator came along and had his evil way with this fragrance.

And now it is merely a shadow of what it one was.

It smells synthetic, and chemical. It's suffocating and harsh. It's just SUCH a shame to see another YSL perfume ruined by reformulation.

Yes...unfortunately there is no fairytale ending for poor Rive Gauche.

This was one of the scents that provided a backdrop to my childhood, as it was my grandma's signature. Whenever I can find one, I pick up a bottle of the vintage for her, as it's still her favorite, but she won't wear the new version.

Please... YSL has already ruined Rive Gauche, Paris, Opium... how many more of these beautiful scents will be destroyed by reformulation?

Scarlette
Scarlette

Very femininely french, sophisticated, rich, cool, haughty, metallic, posh. Not for little girls. Top 3 floral aldehydes.

jtd
jtd

Rive Gauche has grown on me. I’ve always liked it, smelling it a bit late in the game in the early 1990s on a friend who had to my mind a perfect balance of chic and practicality. She had a discerning, unpretentious knack for picking from high and low cultures what suited her best. She wore Rive Gauche and it fit her perfectly.

Recently I wrote that I preferred Paco Rabanne’s Calandre to RG. Call me sometimey, but today I prefer RG. Their similarities allow their differences to come into view clearly. Calandre is an aldehydic rose floral that winds up with a vaguely bitter green chypre drydown that I wouldn’t have expected at the outset. It’s a beautiful trajectory over time. RG’s aldehydes last longer and move the rose into the sweet viscous shadow of a tonka/galbanum gumminess that feels like a thick incensy resin. Despite Calandre’s reference to metal (chrome grill), RG has more of a metallic feel. It’s cool with a bit of that flinty smell shared by metal and stone. There is a constant question among the perfume set. What is a good rose for men? Here’s your answer.

theconnection
theconnection

Rive Gauche - Yves Saint Laurent
Byzance - Rochas
Calandre - Paco Rabanne

3 Cult Classics all cut down & reformulated to double profits - that is all Proctor & Gamble and the like care about.

We still have some Calandre flacons left from the very last production period but our customers forever ask for Byzance - most are unaware that Rive Gauche was reformulated - as was Opium in 2009...

Many Guerlains are nothing like their originals due to ingredient tampering following Jean Paul Guerlains un-holy sale to LVMH.

Madame Rochas & Rochas Femme will soon too no doubt be cut off and have their production ceased within the next 5 year at the rate Proctor & Gamble is going.

ION
ION

I never got a chance to smell this YSL classic with the very snobbish name (I did have a chat with an upper class French lady once, habitant of Paris' Rive Gauche, who very proudly proclaimed "Moi M. ION, I have never been to Rive Droite") until today, but I must admit that I've always had a secret fascination for its futuristic - tubelike bottle with the rather unexpected and most definitely unconventional color selection and design!
They say it has been reformulated and considerably changed, maybe that's why I can't justify its success.
It does have a strong and "direct" quality however, with something abstract inbetween, and it does smell like the new "Chanel No 19 Poudre' " in its drydown, maybe less tender and spacious.

Of course I have no reasons to doubt that it used to be a lot better and I do feel that the bottle has always been (and still is) ahead of its time!

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

My love affair with Rive Gauche began in the early 80's after finding a 1/4 oz parfum in a holiday villa that the previous guests had left behind, At the time my perfume of choice was Chanel 19 extrait (original) both had that similar metallic note due to the combination of white florals and orris absolute, few perfumes have this ability to impress, R.G certainly had that 'Wow' factor, sadly the re formulation doesn't come remotely close to the original. Rive Gauche is one of a handful of fragrances that I genuinely do miss, long gone are the days of searching suburban pharmacies & variety discounters in the hope of discovering some overlooked cannisters of the eau de parfum, used cans or testers were both acceptable, in fact I just lost interest and moved on. The present eau de toilette is still a high quality product and universally available.
Tres Tragic.......

scenteena
scenteena

Cubby and krmarich, I concur. Aahh...Rive Gauche!! that left bank aldehyic 70's masterpiece in the iconic silver metal can with the french blue and black stripes. Oh how this one takes me back to a time and place IN FRAGRANCE where I really want to be!Like a lot of you, I too am mourning the death of countless, beloved scents as we once knew them. When will this reformulation madness, responsible for the needless slaughter of our olfactory delights, end? Is it possible to CONVINCE profit driven companies, who insist on catering to a generation who only crave fruit, that there is still a THRIVING market for fragrance classics?

Rive Gauche. So gorgeous and special. Undoubtly, one of Laurent's best efforts. A must try for aldehyde fragrance lovers. Skip the reformulation and snag a bottle of the original, if you can. And don't be surprised if you find yourself putting this on your keepers list.

Cubby

To EK: I doubt it was a preferential change. It's been reformulated and gives me such a headache. I've tried it several times - hardly smells at all like it did when I received my first can as a gift in 1976.

And yes, Calandre was its predesesssor--same nose. I have a full bottle of Calandre, right before it was discontinued last summer. How I wish those types of fragrances would come back in style.

bbbonbon
bbbonbon

The first time I tried RG I just fell for it, I thought that's the way a good looking woman suppose to smell(I was seven years old). But, last year I decided to try it again and I found out it was reformulated (why?); it used to be charming, sophisticated and almost magnectique, now it became the classical powdery sinthetic yet elegant fragrance you can find at any more or less renoun perfume brand.

TWebb
TWebb

I first bought Rive Gauche in High School, in an attempt to move away from the sweet teen perfumes (remember Sweet Honesty?). I loved the clean scent. It reminded me of rain. However, I haven't bought it since and have moved on to other fragrances.

krmarich
krmarich

The original beauty was incomparable on several levels. In its day, it was so fashionable and chic! It became a commercial hit, making YSL a household name in many markets! The container was the first of its kind-metal-shocking. Would the contents last?

I have a very large container fron the mid 1970s and it is as good if not better than anything in glass. In fact, the "designer imposters" used metal canister. That was just the beginning.

RG has the same nose as Calandre. It was always more popular, yet never as good. Its is a frosted floral with lots of Ylang, rose and jasmine. The sandalwood chypre base harmonizes well and last until the next day.

It lasted nearly 30 years and then like magic, was reformulated. I felt somewhat familiar, yet ultimately confused and disappointed. If its not broken dont fix it!

Celebrity=Raquel Welch

EK
EK

I wore the original one back in the 80's (as did everyone, I think). When I retried it several years later, I found it disgusting, chemical and nauseating. Funny how preferences can change over time. I don't know the new version though.

Klee
Klee

People really compare this to Calandre but I don't get it. It's okay.. . Never tried the reformulated version though. I only tried the original one! It's alright but not as alluring as Calandre.

MizLiz
MizLiz

I think I actually like this better than Chanel No. 5 (which, by the way, has been reformulated). It certainly lasts longer on me. It gives me the definite impression of aldehyde soap, the same way White Linen does, but Rive Gauche is less blinding-white and clean. The drydown is almost metallic. I love the rose note in the middle.

jasmasid
jasmasid

Was my absolutely irreplaceable signature scent until some not so clever clog decided it needed a "reformulation". (Who the f*** advised him I wonder?) A spy from a rival brand, I hope, because I'm sure Rive Gauche sales have tumbled as many others like myself have let go our addiction to what used to be the most original, most imaginative and, indescribable scent in the whole world.
Predictably, with an inferior reformulated scent, they had to have a price hike, just to prove they were still in the "Top Ten" -- but nobody's fooled and we've all moved on to more scented pastures....
But I live in perpetual fear that all my previously beloved scents will either be re-formulated, (Rive Gauche, Ysatis) -- they will be discontinued and disappear from the shelves (and websites) almost completely: Caleche, Calendre, all the Carons, all the Carvens and my Carolina Herrera (the original) is also beginning to disappear....currently my signature evening scent.
Every time I search for Caleche, am led to the ruddy "Kelly" -- yes, sure, okay for some but I want that original delicious Caleche, (a few drops lasted 18 hours on me and that's just the Eau de toilette!) So the price was no problem.
Why do perfume makers fail to get the message? The world's top-selling perfume, (Chanel No. 5, one bottle sold every 48 seconds) is also the ONLY perfume that has never been reformulated and when new or replacement ingredients are necessary, every attempt is made to replicate the original cocktail of 1921.

How many of today's over-priced stinkers will still be around, in the same format, 90 years from now, eh?

Gotta go now and surf every website to stock up on old favourites before they get reinvented for the worse!

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

This perfume smells like an utterly wonderful bar of soap. Creamy, powdery, soapy, and definite note of ylang ylang.

Cubby

I ordered a decant from Perfumed Court. ICK! is all I can say about the current version. It gave me such a headache. Oh, to have vintage Rive Gauche available again...or even what I ordered online in 1999.

iconoclast
iconoclast

This is a quintessential 70s rock chick's fragrance. I also think it has the glam rock scene stamped all over it - heavy makeup, flares, suede, etc. - just take a look at that tin can it comes in! I used to think the tin can looked cheap, but now it looks cool & iconic to me as though it belongs in a chic urbanite's handbag. It smells avant garde today, and God only knows how futuristic it must have smelt when it first came out. Like Cacherel’s Loulou (to which I think it bears a passing resemblance), RG has survived to this day against the odds in a world full of soft, flowery, ultra-feminine women’s scents. I love it. A legendary fragrance for independently-minded women, but I feel not one to be bought blindly...because it smells strongly like a bug spray...a nice bug spray I hasten to add lest I get handbagged ;-)

sablebombe
sablebombe

Love love love love - been with me since the late 70's and the reformulated one is even better on my nose! Just upset that we cannot seem to get the soap, dusting powder etc here any longer! Just the body lotion - oh well *SIGHS*

twillocks
twillocks

It sure smells like it came from the 1970's . . . not for me it smells like nail polish remover on me.

anniebeck
anniebeck

Will always like this scent...not sure what the new version is like as still have (I think the older) as still smells the same to me and sure would notice if it was different.

K1
K1

So French, so romantic, so feminine and flawless!
Though once a time it was on top as a highly fashionable floral perfume, today it's not something you dare to wear easily. Not for your surrounding, you may get headache in over-apply. It's still nice and it's dry down or less amount makes me insane. More than sexy it's elegant and romantic.
Anyway, I think it must be a part of French heritage just as Saint Laurent is a face in that.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

A wonderful, well-developped almost iconic rose scent. It is a bit strong at first, but the dry-down reveals a soft, smooth rose with a powdery overtone. The aldehydes, in this, are not overwhelming as they can be in many scents. I also get a very slight almost spicy note, not overt, but there in the background. Would not wear this every day, but it is definitely a true classic that I would turn to more than once!

Silhouette_
Silhouette_

Unlike some other fragrances based on aldehydes and flowers (Arpege or Chanel No 5), this one doesn't make me feel like wearing something age inappropriate. The floral soapiness gets somewhat spicy in my nose (is it the geranium?), yet it feels all quite refined and empowering at the same time, ending with rose in a splendid drydown.

I have yet to compare it back to back with Estée Lauder's Knowing, which does similar thing to me, but I'll probably have to buy a large bottle of Rive Gauche eventually. By the way, I enjoy wearing it with men-style clothes, it seems to fit a lady in a suit very well. Just make sure the suit is more of the Marlene Dietrich kind, not something that will turn you into Hillary Clinton. Bisous. ;-)

UPDATE 1: Bought the big bottle and I'll be pretty surprised if this turns out to be my last one. There is no other fragrance in my humble collection (samples and decants included) that instantly makes me think of how damn' well put together it is.

UPDATE 2: I since obtained the sample of Guerlain's Vetiver pour Elle, so now there are two. :)

dom20851
dom20851

I am a true Parisian AND from the rive gauche too, but I have never liked it and I still don't. It is just not a fragrance I like, I cannot explain it in very expert words, it is more a gut reaction!

ellenwolfie
ellenwolfie

Loved this scent in the mid 70s - I wore it whenever I was lusting after my fiance. So funny - it was not my usual fragrance; that was Replique. But whenever I put on Rive Gauche is was just a signal for him to ATTACK!

Louw
Louw

This could knock down flies at forty paces! Ugh! I've always hated it and, though I keep testing it every few years just to see if that's changed, I still hate it!
To me, it's sharp and cheap-smelling with a lingering chemical trace.

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

Oh Lordy Lordy !!! This is a blast from the past!

As I'm getting bored with all the modern/celeb/over-sweet concoctions , I'm going down the Retro Route :)

This wonderful site has given me lots of ideas of what to try next.

Now to RG - Both my mother and my Aunt used to LOVE this in the early 80s . I find it a heavy scent , and the sillage , well ....everyone around you will smell you coming, but there's something about it i just love !

I remember having a sneaky spray of this as a child ( he-he! My Mum used to get exasperated at me spraying her expensive scents all the time!)

The thing i remember most is the opening note - Cold , hard , Metallic , almost a "Blood" smell? Weird i know , but that's what i got. Once its settled down its an unusual and attention commanding scent.

Must be the aldehydes.

UNfortunately it smells vile on me , must be my "chemistry". But i love to smell it on others for the nostalgia trip alone !!

Classic Masterpiece , that i wish i could wear ! 9/10

Aigner_Again
Aigner_Again

As an admirer of Anais Anais in the past and not a teenager anymore, I've been long-looking for a scent of the same class & style, but more mature and suitable to wear now that I'm 30+. Finally, I found that Rive Gauche was the answer! I see some lovely similarities between both AA and RG, I particularly love that 'white coldness' about them. Rive Gauche is very rich and high-class; strong yet non-aggressive; a scent of a confident lady.

Angel10

Why thank you, dahling Malia!

I believe a LOT of the hype about Chanel No.5 (which is lovely, just not in RG's league) is that Marilyn Monroe wore it. Sorry to tell you ladies, but if MM wore ketchup for a scent, the men would have still lusted after her. It was NOT her perfume (or her IQ...I make me laugh!)

There, I said it. I may boldly write Luca Turin this very fact one day when I'm feelin' brave (& slightly drunk - jokula!), just to REALLY get it off my chest.

I've been with my hubby for 13 years, and I wear RG every so often, when I feel he needs a gentle reminder of just how special I am, and how lucky he is to have me. Gives me, and him, that "out of your league" feelin' (helps if I'm dressed to the nines of course), one that he gives me every now and then too....which makes us want each other VERY badly...

RG is "The Good Stuff". I believe that this is the only floral aldehyde that I really like.

malia
malia

Rive Gauche is to be recognized out of thousands perfumes. It says a lot already. I love its unique scent. Classy, chique, bold and very noticable. Not for everyone to be worn though...

Angel10, great review!

Angel10

I love Rive Gauche! The best floral aldehyde ever! Kicks Chanel No. 5's butt! Very classy and french, and a little naughty! (something that Ch #5 is lacking for sure!) My hubby LOVES when I wear this....I can expect to be attacked! It really does have a metallic coldness about it, but that is part of what makes it truly lovely. This is also one of the finest fragrances in terms of blending....very hard to pick out any one particular flower or ingredient, it's just one of those "Wow, that smells soooo good" perfumes! No other smells nearly like it...truly unique.

Saintkitty
Saintkitty

I think that Rive Gauche is a tender fragrance for strong women! I can see it on ambitious young careerist, who doesn't lose her femininity, even she's an independent selfmade lady!
Don't pay attention to metallic sweetness in the very beginning. You need to wait for 10 minutes and then gorgeous bouquet of white flowers will bloom. Than these flowers turns into soft powder, it stays on your skin many hours later. Aroma lasts for long, but doesn't trouble me but becomes a part of me. For me it's delicate springtime scent with character!
Rive Gauche has its own personality, and it also has all advantages of floral adelhydes. First I thought that bottle looks like hair spray or airfresher, but later I had understood that it's really original with its stripes. Truly avant-garde!
I feel myself brave with Rive Gauche! (not that brave as a girl in the commercial with her fast secret wedding)

i had the original. i have no idea what the new version smells like. i wasn't a fan of it. its smells like soap that men use to wash the grease off their hands, kind of a metal soap scent. i found it strong and not very attractive. more of a masculine scent. once you sprayed it on it was with you for the day. i eventually gave it away.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Very RETRO! This is a classic type of fragrance.

Very, very flowery and quite sweet. Rive Gauche is powdery and pleasing. The drydown is the best part. The modern version is nice, but I especially like the vintage.

Good but I just can't get very excited about it.

nada
nada

yes,after trying it I thought metal packadging does justice to the perfume. Not sure it is as great as other YSL creations, or other aldehides. But maybe i need to know it better yet...
worth trying

chaos2
chaos2

I do not like aldehydes, but I loved this. My mom had it in the '70's. I think it was the first "sophisticated" frag I liked. I tried the shower gel and it was great. I snuck srays of the EDT before I went to school. It was soft and it had a warm dry down. I guess they still make it but in a different formula. I will have to check it out.

Bebe70
Bebe70

Very classy, very personilized!
And incredibly similar to Chanel No 19 Deodorant.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Very elegant drydown, with roses and something metallic. I sprayed it in a card in the department stores and put it in my bag and when I got home I couldn´t believe how much it had changed. So smart,for intelligent strong business women.

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

Rive gauche for women is simply an evergreen chypre fragrance by YSL. Though it's a bit outdated now but still it is spreading its charm like ever before. truly classic and elegant of its time. I really appreciate this fragrance on a mature and charming lady. Excellent silage and good longevity.
I give it 8 out of 10.

Eleiria
Eleiria

It's so sharp and artificial to my nose, hated it the minute I sprayed it. I thought maybe it would get better in time, when the aldehyde disappeared but no. It's still bad. After 5 hours of applying, it smells like an old soap. Well, I guess floral aldehydes are not for me, I hate Chanel No.5 too :))

Sassy1
Sassy1

Nice elegant soft and feminine rose. A little soapy in the beginning but not cheap smellng by any means and has alot of projection start to finish.
I find the citrus shows up more toward the middle than the top and it sweetens going into the drydown, similar to No 22 but more grassy than white flowers.
It's not dowdy or dated but it's not youthful or daring either. More like something retro you'd wear to impress the new mother in law.
I wouldn't shell out big bucks for it but would wear it if gifted as it's well done,just a touch boring.

TankGirl
TankGirl

I strongly deslike this fragrance. When I was a kid every doctor/dentist/professor (horrible people at the time) used to wear Rive Gauche and I've been trying to enjoy this fragrance, but when I smell it I just feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. This perfume is a trauma for me.
But beyond that, I think is a really well made fragrance, perfectly blended, another monter sillage from YSL and the longlasting is amazing off course.
The only note that is more obvious on my skin is rose, but I have to work hard to find it because RG is a perfume with capital P, and its not suppose to smell like anything else.
This is not for traumatized people like me, and in my opinion this smells like old clothes in the closet. Its powdery and headaching. I understand why people like it but honestly I cant see this fitting a women on the XXI century.
6/10 (because its obvioulsly well made, for my nose is a -100)

Kterhark
Kterhark

(Vintage review)
I’ve been wanting to try this for a long time, since blue is my favorite color and the packaging was speaking to me.

Here is what is wrong with the ad: the table is missing a big ol’ bouquet of white flowers. Fans of Chanel n 5 and Arpege must surely love this, but to me floral aldehydes can only be appreciated from afar.

I feel a little guilty: I never sample new scents during the day but this morning I made an exception. Wouldn’t you know…a co-worker stopped by for a 30 min meeting. Are you familiar with the game where you hit little critters that pop up from the hole, it’s called ‘whacky critters’, something like that. You get points every time you hit one.

This is what happened this morning, the white notes in Rive Gauche were getting so loud that I feared I was whacking my coworker with scent. I even excused myself to go to the restroom, where I scrubbed my chest. Didn’t really work.

Take away: if you’re looking to sample this, do; its unique. But if jasmine, gardenia and lily-of-the-valley were things that hid under your bed at night then you may want to pass.

RkrChk
RkrChk

Sammiemc said it well! I forgot how amazing this frag is...My best friend's sister had this when I was in high school...I tried it then, and then received a half bottle from someone many years ago...I kept it in a dark, dry cabinet, and when I sprayed it on today, I quickly remembered what a classy frag this is...It is suited for EVERYBODY who wants to smell amazing...The bergamot & lemon shine through right away on my skin...the floral combo with the orris and geranium are a MAGICAL mixture...The base notes are an unbeatable combo that hold this frag's outstanding sillage together...Aldehydes don't attract me much, but this one is classy and OUTSTANDING!

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

Smelled this one today. It is a nice fragrance indeed, but not for me. I am just not that type of woman. The woman in the picture is well casted. That is a kind of woman who can wear this. Very elegant, strong, bussiness-woman. But I don't say it is not a good fragrance. It is very nice, but I think it has to suit you.

mymlan

I recently obtained an unusual vintage Rive Gauche pdt. I bought it just because it was an pdt and I reconed that it must be the old formulation therefore. It is very difficult to find a pre reformulated RG edt, as the container looks just the same nowadays.

Anyway, when I grew up I got the edt from my father who had been abroad on a business trip. This smells just like I remember it.

Fresh roses on an icy cold cloud. I simply adore it. RG original is the most beautiful rose on a cooling bed of very soft woods and balsamic notes. Still very avantgarde. It's so stripped down that it is almost close to some niche fragrances. Try it!

sammiemc
sammiemc

This was my first 'signature' scent from the age of about 15. Strangely you go through life trying new sensory experiences, but the originals often endure! A true classic in my view.

vuelo
vuelo

This is a very very special perfume. A perfume for a great lady, a diva, or a queen. For imposing, authoritary women, very hard working, fiercely independent and very succesful, excelling maybe in their career, also very confident,mature and stylish in a classic way.

That's why this perfume is quite difficult to pull off. It really is VERY special.

secretcrush
secretcrush

A girlfriend re-purchased this yesterday,it smells like a soft rose scented powder and dry woods... It has a old-world feel yet doesnt seem outta place in todays perfume market...I found it 2b a nice change and wouldt mind owning a bottle/canister myself...

Sissi
Sissi

This has an Manish presence to it it's almost unisex the scent of dry woody
Aldehydes makes it adrogymous. i can detect fringes of rose there is a sort of bitterness in this that makes it unique then other women Fragrances dries down into lemon. the scent reminds
me of sequoia burning or the scent of
burning Paper the violet brings an powdery feel.

This has a 70's chic feel to it with it's Blue and Black and silver lines
running horizonaly though an cylinder
shaped flacon conjoures up Paris in 1977
with it's smoky discoteques and open air cafes.
this is a scent for women who dares to be different to break with conventional
Bourgeoisie.

chuaalba
chuaalba

perfume par una gran dama: elegante,fuerte y diferente.Desde pequeña lo he relacionado con mujeres con decisión y caracter

frangipani_sandgirl
frangipani_sandgirl

I tried this on the other day. I quite liked the smell of it on the tester card so I decided to try it on my skin. It was going ok at first, and then I started to feel nauseous. The longer it stayed on my wrist the more I wanted to run to a tap and scrub it off. I had to resort to spraying vinegar on my arm to neutralise the smell, it just would not come off any other way! So I'll say this much, it has staying power! Now, I know that Perfumes: The Guide, gives it five stars in the masterpiece category, and I really did like Rive Gauche until I sprayed it on myself, but obviously it's not for me. It's a shame.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I remember my mom wearing this in the 80's and trying on myself when I was a child. I have not smelled this since that time I'm curious to see if the new RG smells similar to the original. I never new the name of this perfume until recently, I just remembered what the bottle looked like.

selinum28
selinum28

I loved this perfume ten years ago; I don't know if it had been reformulated. It was my favourite perfume, along with Eden and Hiris, but I didn't bought any until recently. I remeber it as defined and controversial as the other two.
Some months ago I finally bought Rive Gauche without testing it again: I had forgotten that it was an aldehyd and it first disappointed me. Since then, I have rediscovered this perfume and found it even more wonderful than the first time. Generally, I find it as oriental as Opium, but with diferent "intentions". It mostly smells as perfumed wood, beautiful dark wood absorbing the smell of northern and southern flowers. Maybe it is more precise to associate it with sophistication, but it makes me think of tropical rain and the tropical sensuous afternoons that come after it. Opium is about the nights.

knvixen
knvixen

Re Age: I got my 1st bottle of this when I was 16. I'm now 42 and I still wear it when it feels right. If you want to try to be the independent sophisticated femme fatale this suggest then it doesn't matter how old you are!

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

Opening on a burst of crisp, chiffon-like, metallic citrus and blooms, before smoothing-out into burled woods and dried grasses. Sporty and hazy, evoking streamlined suits, stark lines, Mondrian minimalism, polyester and tweeds. Captures that style period of sweeping slacks, brick-red lips, oversized glasses and undersized vests, quite well. It always makes me think of the moody intellectuals in 70's and early 80's films, like the characters of "Interiors", "Mon oncle d'Amerique" or "Kramer vs. Kramer".

preciouspetal
preciouspetal

Ultra sophiticated. Modern and assertive, for the woman who knows what she wants!

mymlan

I used to wear RG when I was in my mid-teens, and I remembered the little hesitation before spraying it on my neck because of the sharp cold metallic note that made it so unique. Now, as a grown up perfume addict I bought RG again not knowing it was reformulated. For me this is a complete different frag than I remember. This one is still exclusive and beautiful but way too heavy for me. Its like a thick smoke of roses and musk. The sad thing is that I really miss the original formula and would like to get it somewhere. Thank you Glitteralex for recommending Calandre (which in itself is a lovley, exclusive sensual fragrance). Calandre is actually more similar to the RG I remember, and it will do for me until I find a vintage bottle somewhere. Because the new one is not for me - eventhough I'm happy to smell it on others.

tra
tra

My scent in the 80s.I did not go anywhere without it. I think it is one of the best florals of all time.I just could eat it! Had a sniff the other day of the reformulated version. And Rive Gauche I'll come back to you! Still wonderful.

guest_laura
guest_laura

my favvvvvvvvourite perfume. very strong i am only 21 but have been wearing it for years! u instantly recognise this on people. my mum bought me it she was a child of the 70's and i adore it now.

milena
milena

Today i bought this lovely perfume.I don't know what the vintage one smells like, but the one I have on me is very very classy.I love floral aldehyde perfumes.

guest_jumbee
guest_jumbee

People are saying that age has nothing to do with this perfume. However I think it can be argued that not many young girls would find this appealing. It has a sophisticate opulence about it Im 20 and I dont see myself wearing this till im 35.

amelie

Levana you're right, it has nothing to do with age, but how you feel.There are women who have always been women, and those girls in their twenties, thirties and fifties, I think I understand what Northofsweden wanted to say (for example-for me Youth Dew is a perfume for a woman). It is somehow deeper meaning of the word-woman.To me it's state of mind and is not old-fashioned feel like a woman.

Levana
Levana

i disagree when people say "this perfume is to old for you". i dont think it has anything to do with age. this perfume emphasizes, fulfills the personality. It glows confidence and power,when i smell this perfume i get a don't mess with me woman in my tought. i adore this perfume

allureveil
allureveil

When I first came to NYC (when I was age 22), I walked into a (now long gone) drugstore near Lincoln Center. Maybe I was waiting for a prescription? Anyway, while there, as usual I felt the magnetic pull of the perfume testers on the counter, and tried Rive Gauche. I must have had some stunned look on my face when I first experienced the fragrance, because I looked up, and the counter man standing far from me (gee, he was older -- maybe 45? Ha!), said, "It's a sexy smell." Well, YEAH! It still is, and has always been a huge turn-on for me. One day maybe I'll meet that guy again and he'll know me by my Rive Gauche.

capless
capless

I first found this scent on a cruise ship back in the late '70's and bought the largest bottle they had! I loved it and wore it often. I think I burned out on it because I didn't buy another until last year. I didn't know it was reformulated. Perhaps that's why it doesn't send me down memory lane the way other scents do after not wearing them for a time. It's ok but after a year it's still 3/4 full and getting an "old" quality. I put some on a bit of paper and after an hour it seems more appealing...sort of a light powdery floral.

amelie

Brilliant unique scent that will never go out of fashion. There is no similar fragrance in perfume world, it is "love or hate", but no doubt with its wide aura for me still the most original fragrance. Urban, irresistible and classy! And a bottle design is so unique. I use it more often as a daily fragrance- gives me confidence... although the composition was changed, aldehydes in general are not old-fashioned.
Rive Gauche is ahead of its time!

kewart
kewart

This is a real head-turner of a scent. Bold,uncompromising and very recognisable. I feel totally French when I wear this - flirty,well-dressed and full of "je ne sais quoi!"

I wasn't aware that YSL had reformulated this fragrance and I'm rather disappointed that I'll never get to compare the original to this scent.

I'm usually back and forth with aldehydes. In some fragrances I love the powdery and soapy quality that it gives, while in other scents, (for example, Chanel No.5), I hate how it smells sharp and unpleasant.

When I first sprayed Rive Gauche I immediately classed it as a sharp and unpleasant aldehydic fragrance. It was so strong and nose-burning, that it was almost like a bomb had hit me right in the nostrils.

I quickly stuffed this sample into my pocket in case I became nauseated from the scent and soon forgot about it. When I finally got home I emptied my pockets and wondered what smelt so elegant, rich and flowery. It was Rive Gauche.

When the aldehydic opening softens, the scent becomes feminine and romantic. The rose note is delicate with the gardenia, magnolia and jasmine creating such a beautiful floral blend.

It has that delightful, classic type scent which I love. It's difficult to re-create these types of scents which hold so much class, sophistication and elegance in a bottle.

Although I feel as if I'm a little too young to start wearing Rive Gauche, I can always look forward to growing older in hopes of one day owning this wonderful scent.

Dirty.secretss
Dirty.secretss

classsic..confidence and beauty
this is a diva
i dont think many would understand th beauty of this frag.
not extravagant..its clean
a lady with posture and elegance

karenlsinging
karenlsinging

My all time favourite ever fragrance which I have been wearing since the 80s. I have nearly finished the last bottle I bought and am sad to hear it has been re-formulated. Don't want to try it and be disappointed. Will keep my memories!

guest_kloklo
guest_kloklo

I wear it since elementary (dont ask....) and my mother before me since it was launched in France as she was studying there at the time. It never wears off (literary), that's one if it's strong points but what enchants me more is the comfort it gives after a long day. It's a boost up for starting your day and a lullaby when you commute back home.

My mother and I buy this perfume at least 2 times per year and we never regret it!

(BTW: Try the body lotion too!)

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

THIS WONDERFUL PERFUME IS DEVOTED FOR FREE INDEPENDENT STRONG PEOPLE ;-))

kezbekistan
kezbekistan

One of the first perfumes I bought as an adult.
A lovely scent for daytime use; light, fresh and long lived.
A classic.
I still love it.

I had this one but not all the time use this scent is a lot of soapy but neverthless I love this scent .

The_Entity
The_Entity

My all time favourite, suitable for any occasion, not too strong, not too subtle. perfect :)

Mirandapanda
Mirandapanda

I had Rive Gauche for my first term at university in 1977, and to me it epitomised the feeling of being a newly-independent young woman: cool, strong, confident. It's connected in my mind with 'Cosmopolitan' magazine, in the days when it assumed its readership had a certain level of intelligence. I haven't tried the new Rive Gauche, and I daresay it's perfectly pleasant, but I think it's sad when an old perfume is meddled with. It means that nostalgics like me have one less opportunity to take a sniff at a perfume counter and be transported back to a particular place and time.

benzippo

No matter how good a masetro may be where in this case, I believed was during Tom Ford's realm, something is better left un-touched no matter what Midas touches tbat person has.

Another sad case of tweaking that gone worng as with most classic which is very sad indeed.

I would rather they just simply create another flanker and leave the original formulations intact as it is.

No matter how goos a person is, sometimes it is simply just not good enough.

benzippo

No matter how goos a person is, sometimes it is simply just not good enough.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Even being a man, I had a bottle of this fragrance and I have to say something about it: Rive Gauche is a perfume for a determined, free and independent person (especially women). Its blue, silverplated and black bottle is an indispensable accessory of fashion.
The fragrance combines coolness and smoothness. It is a floral scent for people who don't feel fear of living life completely. It brings to the memory souvenirs from the left edge of the Sena, in Paris, in full autumn, with Brancusi, Lèger, Picasso…
Powerful scent of wonderful lasting. Peace of art in the Perfume's world!

cocomademoisellerie
cocomademoisellerie

Maybe it seems a bit weird, but I read in a magazine that this is Kate Moss's favourite parfum. I have no clue, if that's right, but it gave me the impulse to smell the scent behind that funny bottle. Yes, I think, it's a funny bottle: totally inappropriate for such a scent. But that, in combination with the distinguished and gentle smell, made it even more attractive to me. I think it's quite a peril to invent a parfum concept like this, but it seems to work.

Cris_Venesza
Cris_Venesza

i had this one from my aunt , i don't know why? because is for a mature , maybe old woman .....it's classy,old and strong ...i don't like it

Puck_12
Puck_12

I have been wearing Rive Gauche for years! From time to time I think I "need or want" a change, but I always come back to it! My day doesn't start fully until I have put it on. Just feel incomplete or let's say....naked(?) without it! When I go out my choice is Dior's Hypnotic Poison. Bought Opium for that reason a few years ago, but it just made me feel a bit sick.

stripeymog
stripeymog

This was my first 'grown-up' perfume which I bought on a school trip to Paris, aged 15. The smell reminds me of sailing down the Seine on a Bateaux Mouche on a freezing February evening!

Carla
Carla

It's a sentimental walk down memory lane with this BoHo chic scent of the 70's, however, the recreation of this classic is disappointing. The previous incarnation was an organic, free spirit scent emitting the silvery dusty feeling from the aldehydes mixed with two of my favorite blossoms, gardenia and magnolia which created an aura of peace. The harmony and strength I feel has been lost in the 2003 version.

glitteralex
glitteralex

I loved the fact that the initial aldehydic, metallic blast was almost intolerable. I find the reformulation BLAH.

For the record, I am not reform-phobic; I love both the original and new Senso by Ungaro, and all the versions of Joy and Chanel #5. Without the shattering aldehydes, Rive Gauche is not itself...

BTW, if you enjot RG (by Jaques Polge & Michael Hy), try Calandre by Paco Rabanne. It was created a year prior in '69, by the same perfumer (Hy), and was a very similar and groundbreaking 70s scent.

Leesee
Leesee

I have never owned a bottle of the original Rive Gauche, but I just today received a bottle of the newer version and have been wearing the scent all evening. It had a disconcerting opening note, sort of moldy-floral, but now the scent reminds me of Chanel No. 19 and Calandre, both of which I adore. It is also very much its own scent: a little old-fashioned, a little modern, neither sweet nor tart, and elegant in a way that so few non-niche scents seem to be these days. Very nice.

nodi88
nodi88

well...well...where can i begin....i am speechless when it comes to rive gauche...it's simply perfect...at least for me...it makes me happy optimistic and delighted...i know it's weird i never thought a perfume would affect my feelings and emotions that much...but it's true...rive gauche can comletely change my mood...it's perfect for everyday use in winter and fall especially on rainy cloudy days and for special occasions in summer and spring since it's kinda strong and heavy for hot and warm weather....

Scent lover
Scent lover

Nice one! It is quiet, stays close to skin but lasts a long time. I'd say its like a perfume containing masculine notes which are well softened and added a feminine beauty by a woman who carries it.

PR
PR

I tried this 'Rive Gauche' immediatelly after YSL 'Y' and it rendered the first one in a better light.. not as bad as 'Y', but the same smell group for me - unwearable

Althea
Althea

I hope I will never have to smell this again... I went to wash my wrist, but no, it stayed there the whole day, so tumbs up for staying power. My collegue bought it through internet without knowing what it would like, trusted the review. We were both shocked...blee. I could smell nothing but cinnamon the whole time and it was so strong that I couldnt get rid of headache.

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

When I was a kid, my mom belonged to a 'beauty club' via mail, and this came in one of her kits. I wore this in my teen years and felt very sophisticated! I would love to be reacquainted w/ this to see if I have the same feelings for it!

Nuppu
Nuppu

Gentle, powdery and soft, but stands out from other perfumes. Classy and one of my all time favourite alltouhgt the huge number of old and new fascinating scents. This one is always good to come back.

Halvah
Halvah

A very classic floral aldehyde, the top note is so fresh and the finish is so "French", really. It's elegant, and very well-done, altough it seems to be simple and right for everyday use. However, I have a problem with this: in a few hours it becomes rather similar on my skin to Moschino's Cheap & Chic which I don't like at all:(

guest_marijana
guest_marijana

Suitable for wearing it during the day and for evening. This gentle, feminine powdery scent is one of my favourite. It is old fashioned in a way, but I like it

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

I'd rate this 3.5 lippies. I'm not sure which version I sampled but I really enjoyed Rive Gauche. This is a very classic type of fragrance. It seems to have an oaky powdery finish. It makes me think of a cool day & warm quilts but, also reminds me of cashmere & pearls too. It really is a fragrance that you could wear anytime. It's soft and casual enough for office wear, but sophisicated enough for formal times. Rive Gauche lasts quite awhile on the skin too; about 6 hours. I don't think I will purchase a bottle, as I have similar scents. Nevertheless this is a very well done scent.

elgab89
elgab89

My mom used to wear it in the 80s. They have reformulated the scent. It is still a lovely aldehyde.

2007

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent 3.68 out of 5 based on 1350 ratings and 194 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.