Designers » T-Z » Aromatic Green « Groups

Rive Gauche pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men

Rive Gauche pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

I have it: 864 I had it: 208 I want it: 483 My signature: 24

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent is a Aromatic Green fragrance for men. Rive Gauche pour Homme was launched in 2003. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Cavallier. Top notes are rosemary, star anise and bergamot; middle notes are lavender, cloves, geranium and coumarin; base notes are patchouli, guaiac wood, vetiver and oakmoss.

Rosemary Star Anise Bergamot

Lavender Cloves Geranium Coumarin

Patchouli Guaiac Wood Vetiver Oakmoss

Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense
La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Rive Gauche pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

TheSultan
TheSultan

I know this may sound crazy, when you think about all the solid fragrances from YSL. But if they had only made one for men, this one could have stood alone. It's a very soild, dependable, refined fragrance. One of the better designer scents around, even 11 yrs after it was made.

jeffersonfaudan
jeffersonfaudan

the bottle finally got here after 4-5 months... so frustrating... but the scent is just beautiful... btw, i also have brut... and side by side... no... they don't smell the same... YSL scent is just so refined and expensive smelling while brut (with the medallion) comes off dirty rugged and more barbershop type

pelinkovac
pelinkovac

sublime (10/10)

RobbieX

My Number One of all fragrances.......................well, so far.

celoemi
celoemi

I just loved this fragrance. It is very clean and comforting. But there's a catch, my wife did not like. I think it's because the note of rosemary in it. Glad I only bought a sample.
What a shame!

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

Finally got myself a bottle of the old shaving foam tin can. If you like the La Collection version then you will love this; it is richer, deeper and the sweet minty lime creaminess is amped up which makes it even more warm, milky, sexy and masculine. If you can find a 125 ml bottle for a good price, then it is a no-brainer. Many women have told me over the years that they have kind of a fetish for the smell of good quality male shaving products, the way their husband smells after a close shave or how the scent lingers in the bathroom for hours later. I suppose it is a comforting yet sensual association, one of closeness to their men, hinting at grown-up physical intimacy and unadulterated masculinity in its purest most naked form. In this respect, I can understand why women go weak at the knees over Rive Gauche. If you are a wanna-be bad boy who wants to hit the clubs every night smelling like a black forrest gateaux or a strawberry soufflé, then steer clear. This fragrance is for grown Men with a touch of class and will continue to be a great asset for the 30+ crowd. Great silage for 4 hrs on my skin, then it stays closer to skin but still strong. It gets creamier and more seductive as it dries down. Beautiful.

tucktimosprime
tucktimosprime

If your looking for that barbershop feel,then look no further, this is the king.. love this stuff , it just keeps getting better as it dries down..hall of fame frag..

joov84
joov84

Clean, creamy, masculine, aromatic fragrance.

A great YSL designer fragrance. This is one of the most masculine and versatile fragrances. it opens up spicy and aromatic with the lavender, star anise and rosemary. it reminds me of shaving creams. it gets creamier as time progresses. the performance is very good. a staple in a grown man's fragrance wardrobe. it gets compliments for sure.

8.3/10

Bbjr
Bbjr

Good lord, there's one person on this site that bitches about every reformulated or discontinued fragrance. Not once have I ever read a review of a scent from said person. Why no name, it should be obvious.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Solid, citrus-soapy opening on lavender, aromatic woods and musks. Bit of a calone metallic feel. A nice, trustworthy, safe and well-balanced contemporary fougère, which does what eau de cologne and fougères are made for – be a manly, gentle, elegant match to a self-confident grown-up man which just wants to smell nice and polite - I appreciate the fact that perfumers still care about that.

Mancorp
Mancorp

I get the Barbasol association. Unfortunately, the scent of Barbasol is something I tolerate rather than like. The anise in this otherwise very inoffensive fragrance does not encourage me to wear it.

dr.hamada
dr.hamada

- One of my favorite fragrances, it provides a very strange equation = (A barbershop smell with niche quality).
- Excellent longevity (10/10) as it stays more than 3 days on my shirt with 4 sprays only (2 on each side above shoulders) but with moderate projection = 6/10.
- I think that no one can dislike its smell as it's a type of scents that you should love or like. Scent = 8/10.
- overall = 8/10.
- I obtained my 100ml bottle for only 45 US dollars (excellent price for a cologne that became out of production), and i wish that YSL will produce it again.
N.B. I have also AZZARO PH but i can't notice that similarity between both as mentioned in some comments.
- Bottle design is strange resembling cheap deodorants bottles being made of metal, but this is a positive point for the designer.

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

RG is a refined professional scent. I get 6+ hrs with medium projection. Another winner from YSL. RG works year round, too. I'm happy that I was lucky to get it for $36 last year. Try to find it before it gets really expensive.

Markel
Markel

As this is now discontinued , I just picked up the last ten bottles (tin cans)
of it I could find.

Beautiful stuff.

siddiquewallace
siddiquewallace

Great juice..worth every penny
very unique and old school minty kinda smell
Good silage and longevity

toto453
toto453

A great male scent, a bit "macho" even a lot "macho" scent ! But I like the combination of freshness and warm in it ! Moreover, I can smell Patchouli easily, that is also a good point for me.
This is a mature scent maybe, but it clean, fresh, hot, even a classic scent I like very much. And it lasts really a long time on the skin !! It smells like "brut" of fabregé but in a better way by far !

psychout
psychout

masterpiece!

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

Oh Rive Gauche.. When I'M first stumbled upon this guy the only other YSL fragrance I had any experience with was La Nuit De L'Homme.. I saw it sitting on a shelf and I remember reading reviews on fragrantica about it so I told the young SA that I wanted to smell it.. She sprayed it on the card and told me how it was a love or hate fragrance, and stated how she did not like it at all.. But when I sniffed that tester strip I fell in love! It smelled unique and very high quality.. Eventually I got my hands on some.. I very rarely wear Rive Gauche but I appreciate it very much.. Rive Gauche opens up with a bitter star anise note paired with rosemary and a hint of bergamot just to freshen it up.. But that first spray can seem shocking at first.. After a few minutes it starts to make more sense as the lavender, cloves, geranium, and coumarin start to come into the picture and the scent starts to take on a creamy but herbal barbershop type of smell.. There is guaiac wood, oakmoss, patchouli, and vetiver in the base.. Overall Rive Gauche smells like a classic high class barbershop in the middle of Paris.. This is a very masculine scent and a bit mature also.. It is hard for me to pull off since I am young and most guys my age are wearing things like Light Blue year round.. But I still do love the scent and wear it when I am really in the mood.. Rive Gauche is also one of the most potent fragrances I own! One squirt from far away projects pretty good, anymore than two squirts is far to much.. Very classic manly type of scent with a modern twist, fresh, clean, soapy, herbal, classy and a bit mysterious.. Smells great and I need to spend a bit more time with this one..

Guapo
Guapo

Another masterpiece, discontinued by YSL. Now is that synthetic smell of L'Homme, L'Homme something, L'Homme etc...

mrluctoretemergo

the edt of all edt's ... perfection...when i first smelled this gem i instantly bought 4 (vintage metallic) bottles of 125 ml...for everyone there is one 'best' i know but for me this one is the ALL TIME BEST PERFUME....EVER...goosebumps everytime i sniff at my precious bottle(s)...no really... goosebumps... everytime...

pronose

again ysl reformulated and now it sucks!plus ysl deleted the intense version go and ask why???? french are nuts!

missan

I have one and a half bottle of this and a half of the intense version. I use them only for very special moments, and sparingly. One of my absolute favourites.

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

Rive Gauche Pour Homme is a modern classic!

It is such a simple fragrance, but so well done. People have already said it, it smells like a classic lavender shaving cream spiced with anise/licorice. It also has a soapy vibe. This is the scent of an old school barbershop.

I have read that some think it smells dated, and I would have to strongly disagree. I don't see how this is dated, unless it had an overload of civet or something. Like I said, it is a classic smelling fragrance with a modern twist.

Longevity and projection are pretty good. It lasts about 8 hours and projects a big scent cloud, but a polite one.

I acquired a 125mL bottle of this fragrance for $25 at WalMart. That's an awesome deal for such a great fragrance. If this was a more expensive fragrance, I could have been fooled because it is made with so much quality.

If you like or have Chanel Platinum Egoiste and Prada Amber Pour Homme, take a look at Rive Gauche Pour Homme. You can't go wrong with this fragrance.

RobbieX

A masterpiece of perfumery.

vaibsankhla
vaibsankhla

amazing heart and dry down -guiac wood smells incredible in this!

smells like most of the older powerhouses at the beginning but turns sweeter and contemporary

one of the colognes with perfect amount of projection and longevity(8hrs).

Very very versatile-- cool enough for summer and sharp enough for winter.

Very classic smell. wont offend anyone if used in moderation.

quality juice, deserves all the praises it gets.

WORKHORSE!

royalLionheart
royalLionheart

Out of my large collection of fragrances, this one i have the most respect for as is not trying to be too clever, or over confident. It truly is the smell of confidence. A familiar smell, yes barber shaving foam, but with that bit more. Compliment getter i find too. Appreciated even more after wearing a lot of oud, wood, vanilla and leather type fragrances on rotation like i do this just breaks it up perfectly with it's fresh tones.. up there with Green Irish Tweed in terms of class.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

YSL'S Rive Guache opening notes have a excellent aroma of spicy/herbal notes. When it first came out everyone had to have it and it was the choice of fragrance and to this day it still has a strong following.
This juice has a real masculinity to it with a herbal/spicy aroma that acquires one spray which will last well past 10hrs on my skin.
The opening notes of lavender, cloves and rosemary all mixed with a woodsy scent of guaiac wood makes this frag IRRESISTIBLY SEXY. . It'll get your partner's hormones firing like a rocket. ... :))))))))
The longevity and Silage are both very high quality...10+
Overall opinion,
YSL'S frag's are wickedly amazing and this one is also. I really enjoy the deep notes perfect during the fall/winter days. With the warmth of your body temp you'll definitely enjoy several hours with your significant other so the only thing you have to do is switch off the lights and...you know ♡.
I've had so many compliments every time I wear this fragrance.
I've been looking around to find another bottle and I finally came across two bottles in Sears. It was on rake with discounted items and I just noticed both bottles and I didn't think twice I bought both of them for 39usd. What a steel!!
The house of YSL knows what's going to sell well when they launch a fragrance but I only wish that they wouldn't discontinue the fragrance.
Rating this frag is easy anything less then perfection would be an insult. What a BEASTLY fragrance....10/10. ★★★★★

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

As I write this, there's a thread in the forum asking readers to name fragrances that make them feel calm, sexy, spirited at work etc. Some are answering enthusiastically and others are noting their reluctance to pin their mood or personal disposition to any fragrance. While I see the fun in such a thread, yet the validity in the assertion that a person is not the sum total of the fragrance he or she wears, I cannot deny the 'effect' a fragrance can have on a person.
You see, there is something about Rive Gauche pour Homme that is at once old school and contemporary.

While many fragrances aim to evoke a certain mood or feeling such as sexy, clean, dark etc, I just simply feel 'like a man' with this. I'm not one to question my masculinity, never have or will - I'm not insecure about whether or not I'm 'manly'enough etc.

But somehow, I don't feel like a 'dude', or a 'guy' or a 'bloke' with Rive Gauche. I feel like I smell the way a man ought to smell - the way a woman imagines, or better still, 'wants' a man to smell. And from that can come all the other adjectives - suave, groomed, sexy, responsible, etc because though a man can be all of these great things, he is a man first. If Rive Gauche is aiming at anything, it is aiming at your contentment just to be a man.

This is a brilliant, smooth, crisp and delicious fougere that doesn't re-invent the wheel, but stands between yesterday and tomorrow. It is a modern classic, performs excellently, and is one that I'd be very happy if one day, when my children have grown up, remembered me by.

If you like classic fougeres like Azzaro Pour Homme and Drakkar Noir, but fear they are not contemporary enough (for me I'd gladly wear them now, I don't care), then you'll be in very good hands with Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

rue_de_la_roux
rue_de_la_roux

Good Lord, whenever my husband wears this I want to eat him alive. This stuff smells so good, classical and manly. I love the smell of this so much I may try wearing it myself. YSL makes some fabulous men's scents, this, Kourous, L'Homme, Opium pour Homme, M7, all panty-droppers, lololol. Personally I can't say the same for their feminine line. Well, other than Opium, Cinema and maybe NU.

jackfort
jackfort

Barbershop smell.

Good sillage and longevity

7.5/10

Jay T
Jay T

Mon nouveau favori. J'adore l'odeur délicieuse. je suis
déchirée entre réservataire pour cette occasion spéciale, et l'utilisation de tous les jours. J'aime la vieille Vibe, mais le bas sec est tellement supérieur, il me rend fou.

rum
rum

No matter how many times I reach for my 'tin can' bottle of Rive Gauche, I can't really explain this scent. There's bergamot, lavender, rosemary, patchouli and geranium in this (vetiver is also listed but I don't get much of this). A lot going on at once and yet it smells divine! Many have described it as 'barbershop' or a classic 'fougere' ("fern") and others have mentioned the smell of shaving cream. My opinion is that it's all of the above. I've discovered it in the middle of winter and others have raved about how good it is in warmer weather as well, so I am desperate to try it then as well.

I got a tin can version from a shop that had some old stock left. I don't usually believe in the hype of 'vintage' juices, but damn the new version of this one is RANK!! What happened YSL? There's more than one ingredient different to this juice now - it just goes to show that this is just simply not the same fragrance. I will always try to stock up on this stuff, so I suppose I'm partly responsible for the stupid prices that this is going for now online. I blame YSL though for their decision to reformulate this stuff and driving their own, once worthwhile product line into the ground. What a shame. Easily a top 5 scent for me.

RobbieX

Simply a beautifully blended long lasting fabulous fragrance.
Soapy, floral, almonds, great silage and unique.

Rive Gauche is a classic.

dubairob
dubairob

Now this one is just such a joy to wear....

There are few fragrances for men which can impart such wonderful confidence and put a 'spring in your step' in just the way of YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. For a Winter work setting, this does precisely that and I can only compare it to one of my other Winter work cycle fragrances, Dunhill Edition, for doing just that. Moreover, Rive Gauche gives an altogether cleaner vibe that brightens up the darkest of days without resorting to overly obvious note combinations. The star anise and lavendar notes here are just stunning and a real pleasure to experience.

Yes, Rive Gauche feels like a 'barbershop fragrance'. But for those of us who are keen DE shavers - cream, brush, the works - this is just perfect. And no, you won't smell like a million bucks with this, but you will smell like someone who wants to get on with the work that needs to be done.

YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme is outstanding. It is no exaggeration to say that this is a fragrance for a man to live up to when he wears it....

Thank you, Jacques Cavallier, for this, the last installment of your great trinity of YSL fragrances for men.

jude1321
jude1321

I absolutely love this stuff. Very clean and barbershop like. Cannot go wrong with this solid scent. RG has solid lasting power. Highly recommended, but, no, not legendary.

pdubrogers
pdubrogers

Nice scent but for this category there are others that set themselves apart. I wanted to love this but I was expecting more. This is a safe. Doesn't perform that well in winter. I'll hold off for the warmer months. I'm fond of YSL and TF but I don't get it?

Critic
Critic

One of the true 'strong' scents. Rive Gauche is very odd in that it will not project too powerfully but remains rather intense up close. Could be heavy molecules, I don't know.

On me it's a solid performer. Whatever the weather, this stuff sticks. Projection is decent and you'll smell it quite easily ALL day.

It starts strong and STAYS strong. Many fragrances have a theatric opening that knocks you out cold but then falter towards the end and become skin scents.

This is not one of them.

I don't get a 'barbershop' vibe. I don't get a 'soapy' vibe. I don't even find it particularly clean. In fact, I don't think it's a particularly gorgeous smell. Interesting, but not phenomenally beautiful.

A solid performer.

8/10.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

RG has a clean, fresh vibe. It smells a little "chemical," but that does not detract from its appeal.

edge42
edge42

This incredible juice makes me feel like a million bucks! Sexy, clean, confident. One of the better scents I've ever smelled, which combined with it's amazing versatility, great longevity and respectful projection makes this a huge winner in my books and one of my all-time favorites.

Very first morning I wore this was met with a "Mmmmmmm, you smell goooooooooood!" from my wife. Don't know where people get the idea this smells dated, my wife and I are early 30's and often mistaken for mid-20's and this never smells old or dated. Just smells like what a man should smell like.

I will be stocking up on this stuff before it's too hard to find.

This review is for the original aluminum bottle version; I haven't tried the glass bottle version to compare.

Score: 10/10.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

This may be unpopular here, but I don't like this one at all. It's purpose was probably to smell dated and it does. The lavender+geranium+anise combines for not just a barbershop feel but a barbershop that uses 1970's aftershave splash. It isn't a bad scent it is just for me lavender has to be done a certain way (see L'Occitan by L'Occitane) for it to work. I am actually a fan of things like Caron and Taste of Heaven but this one pushes me to an era I am not fond of. It seems like it belongs early 90's late 80's and was suprised it was made in 2003. It performs great and again doesn't smell bad, I just don't see a reason to smell like this. Pass for me.

thegreekone
thegreekone

Super sexy night scent.Manly and clean with great silage and lasting power.Sadly it is pretty hard to find it nowadays.

KellyGrant
KellyGrant

Very clean, very manly fragrance. Many reviewers have compared this to that old-fashioned barber shop smell and I would agree. I find it to be extremely strong; I use literally 1/2 a spray and it lasts all day and into the night. It is somewhat linear and does not evolve much at all over the course of the day.

kenwylde
kenwylde

Certain scents, like certain songs, like certain sensations, they have the power or the ability, the magic, or perhaps it is an accident or defect in the wiring of our brains, but there is something inside of us, inside our consciousness, collectively, that subconsciously draws an association in general or particular between the moment of the now and another place, another time, another object or perhaps another person.

Rive Gauche is like that for me.

When I was a boy, my father would have a bunch of his associates over on Friday evenings for poker night. Friends, friends of friends, acquaintances, rivals. The money would come out and the chips and dips would be on the table and the fellas would play through the night and through the day on Saturday; the game would go on until sometime on Sunday. You've all seen Goodfellas, the Sopranos, so you get the idea. It was my job to make the sandwiches and keep the ashtrays fresh, pour the drinks, answer the phone, sweep the floor, keep the wives and girlfriends at bay.

Now don't get me wrong. This scent does not smell like the poker game. That was a riot of odors both good and bad that came and went over and around that table and indeed the whole room. But after the game, when all was said and done and the chips stacked and racked and traded in for real money, my father and I would take a few bucks and walk to the corner barber shop down by the harbor.

My dad would get a haircut and a hot-towel shave and I'd sit up in the chair next to his and Carmine, the barber, would put a hot towel on my face, too, and rub some tonic between his palms and slap it on my cheeks and work it through my hair, slick it back with a black Ace comb, stick it in my shirt pocket, call me a good boy, tell me to keep it.

Rive Gauche reminds me of this, the barber shop, early on Sunday morning, walking the promenade downtown popping in and out of the myriad shops, sipping coffee on a bench down by the waterfront with my old man back in that time when he was my hero, when he was a giant of the earth, before I became a teenager and therefore too cool to be seen around in public with him.

I miss you, Pop.

I'm sorry.

Rive Gauche is a great scent. Lasts all day on my skin, which is rare for a fragrance. Try it.

BoBoBoy
BoBoBoy

The quality is superb. And to me the scent is to very close to childhood memories of newly shaved men. I totally get the barbershop reference. I wish it worked for me personally, but it doesn't. I have at 98% full 125 ml. bottle for swap.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

LEAVE THE RIVE

There's nothing wrong with this fragrance.
It's perfectly okay.

But in a fragrance world full of possible wonder - why bother?

LookOut
LookOut

I'm only going to confirm what so many before me have already said: old school barbershop / shaving cream smell. While I don't find it revolting at all, it's not a scent for me. Too old school. Trying it out on my skin confirmed it.

Now I can't really say which notes I can smell in this; there's too many notes I'm unfamiliar with. I THINK the star anise and vetiver (notes I know I don't like) are countered by the lavender (a note that I love). But as I said, I can't really discern the separate notes, it might be that it's the other flowers or the cloves that have an influence on my nose. I do smell a woody background though, so that's most likely the guaiac wood.

It gave me a slight reminder to Fahrenheit, which is also old school. But Rive Gauche is a little bit more pleasant to smell, at least it doesn't have a horrid opening like Fahrenheit.

@pdschrader: well it seems that it's not completely discontinued. Go and check out "La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme". Completely different bottle, but most likely the same scent (or at least a very close reformulation)

pdschrader
pdschrader

So many of my favorites seem to be discontinued or difficult to obtain. So too with Rive Gauche, which is a shame. While it is not my favorite, it comes close, and is the only one among my favorites that seems to me to be right for almost any season or occasion.

Budman
Budman

Old school barbershop smell in a bottle! I personally liked it because of the freshly groomed vibe as well as childhood memories and bought a bottle. My first wearing I get a "eww, what are you wearing? You smell like my grandpa" from my wife. Onto ebay it went...

Redbeard
Redbeard

Yup. Shaving cream. Barbasol. Saturday afternoons of discussing hot rods, baseball and blonde bombshells down at Al's Barbershop in 1953. Even the bottle is a can of shaving cream: thin, metal, and light, which makes it feel really odd. This is obviously one of those things that society would say a man "should smell like," and I suspect that it's a collective-unconscious smell memory...even young people who haven't actually experienced that hypothetical barbershop would probably be able to place Rive Gauche as the clean-shaven piece of nostalgia that it is. Still, I feel like it only goes so far toward being a good scent in its class before stopping short while I'm still in mid-sniff. I'm waiting for more notes to show themselves, but they never quite make it to the party. And unfortunately, the guy that actually showed up on time is Anise, which I don't really like when it's this unadulterated. So it's easy to like this stuff, but I couldn't imagine myself really loving it...I expect a fuller, more complex woody oriental.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

Getting my haircut (reluctantly) in the barbers as a young lad. So small they got out "the plank" to go across the swivel chair arms so I'm level with the mirror. Adverts for brylcreem, those small packets of something for the weekend, aged copies of the people's friend magazine and readers digest. The barber's joke about the girls will be running after you now you have a short back n sides combined with that puff of powder all around your pencil neck. This is rive gauche pour homme. Classic and never bettered.

Jose Marcos

gd15329 is very right, RG does seem to be a very nice skin scent, and yes again, it is very masculine hence the feeling of fatherhood. I like it a lot all the same, but sometimes I layer it with other babershop scents like Silver shadow, Azzaro L'eau, 3em Homme, and others to give a little boost. In fact I don't layer, I just spray on other parts of the body.

gd15329
gd15329

I finally (FINALLY) got my 125ml bottle today (after a very long troubled journey) blind buy of course based on the reviews here...

I am not going to repeat everything remarkable already been said about this one of a kind fragrance! [If you don't have it: TRY find it and GET IT, you won't regret it]

But, I am going to make to "strange" comments (actually they are "point outs" not comments)

a) It's not THAT STRONG as I expected to be (based on the reviews) I applied 3 sprays (2 on the neck and 1 on the hand so I could sniff for testing/reviewing purposes) and I have to say... guys it's a close to skin (very close to skin) scent
Seriously! Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense is stronger, He Wood Rocky Mountain is stronger... I think 98% of my scents have stronger projection than Rive Gauche pour Homme
I am not disappointed though because maybe this is what it is... (so I accepted), plus longevity seems to be OK but I am not 100% sure yet

b) Strangely La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme seems to be stronger to my nose (than the original) note: La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme was the first I tested at the store... Rive Gauche Pour Homme was unavailable.

[Note: My Rive Gauche Pour Homme bottle is genuine. with the sealing bar code and everything, it was a retail store -stock- purchase -not online, so pretty impossible to be fake, plus the smell is OK to me, just not as strong as expected to be -but it doesn't looks "watered" either]

I just sniffed my hand again... oh boy... I'm starting to feel on being a dad soon... It smells like "it's all dad to me" (who knows...)

[UPDATE] Longevity 12+ hours by now and still counting... Like I said close to skin but also you get some whiffs here and there.
I couldn't agree more with @Jose Marcos about "layering" (and like he said: "In fact I don't layer, I just spray on other parts of the body.") I also thought boosting it with some citrus-barber scent... (but R.G. YSL is an excellent standalone anyway.) Nobody will get offended, no heavy headaches and stuff, and you will smell non-sweet masculine-sexy great. (For me that I like it sweet, it was a good change/add-on to my collection)

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

Where to begin with Rive Gauche Pour Homme? Is there anything that hasn't already been said?

It is sheer masculine barbershop perfection. The scent simply cannot be improved upon. Along with vintage Paco Rabanne and Azzaro PH, it is part of the holy trinity of aromatic fougeres..

This is my go-to scent when I am in situations that require tact and diplomacy. You will never offend anyone with Rive Gauche. It speaks of universal values such as integrity, loyalty, reliability, and maturity. Azzaro has a bit of a sexual edge to it, an animalic undertone. This accord is absent in Rive Gauche, which makes it a slightly safer fragrance.

Every man should experience Rive Gauche at least once.

reinhard5490
reinhard5490

The finest of aromatic fougere that ever existed, that name could be fitted into Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, which is now discontinued by Yves Saint Laurent itself. Left us wondering what's actually going on with these houses currently, keep discontinuing the good fragrances and launches a horde of new fragrance that far from memorable, let alone became a masterpiece.

Jacques Cavalier created this masterpiece that was launched at 2003, barely a decade it's ended up as a memory - The true Rive Gauche comes in a tin can

It's opened with weird notes; mostly anise and bergamot and makes me think like 'The hell. Nothing special' but when the cloves and lavender start to appears and followed by the rest, I start to change my mind 180. Rive Gauche is neither clean or dirty, it's both, and that's what makes Rive Gauche interesting. It's like yin and yang, the two polar that united into a single harmony; I notice there's a bit of sweet and smoky character in Rive Gauche as well, which is form a single symphony - Nothing heavy, it's smooth and charming, doesn't need to scream to make other people know it's presence; stays long and have great projection without getting overwhelming, the key in Rive Gauche is simple, less is more.

Personally this fragrance shocked me more than just when I wear it, but also the people reaction towards it. It's barbershop feelings never offend anyone, and they all give good compliments, even those who get offended by something as simple as YSL L'Homme give a compliments! Could it be that this fragrance is impossible to be hated? probably. Either way, he's now vanished and left a golden imprint in history.

score : ★★★★★

missan

@Bandit said in another thread that today´s YSL perfumes are totally uninteresting, while most of the previous are masterpieces. Couldn´t agree more, and this is one of the masterpieces IMO.
The real YSL is no more.

marioslg3
marioslg3

it was, it is and it will be the most unique and masculine perfume of the modern era. this is a "man", it represents the ultimate power of a man....
those kind of perfumes are not produced today so let's all save the world or perfumery...

eric.cius
eric.cius

I love this fragrance for sentimental reasons as well as it's beautiful scent...it reminds me of my grandfather. Now I'm not trying to say it smells grandfatherish, or that it's for old men, more like it smells like REAL MAN. Well dressed, well mannered, well respected. It's not dated but it brings you back to days past, days with less complications, days of laid back pace. It gives a sense of well being and ease. My father's day scent for sure.

Jose Marcos

YSL Rive Gauche is like a pleasant journey to the past, like a Robert Altman film, or even better, a Claude Chabrol film with all the criticism of the bourguoisie but nevertheless very classy itself. As someone just says a little down bellow it IS a very French scent, very Parisian, although it is not the only place in Europe where geranium is a trade mark. I don't get the barbershop/shaving cream feeling, not that I mind it at all, I love Guerlain Vetiver Extreme. Perhaps it is the sweet anis and the cloves that give off a clean surgery like airto RG, I want to avoid the word dentist room. The geranium and lavender are so soothing. I am very sorry I couldn't wait for the dry-down, so I haven't got to the woods yet. It si not something ultra spectacular but it smells very unique amonsgt theacquatics andsweet fruit/florals of today.Also one must say that the analogies to the past 70's and 80's don't go as far as strength for Rive Gauche is a very composed fragrance.

vitilsky
vitilsky

This is just a wonderful fragrance, very French, and quite sweet, reminds me of a hairdressers. Shame it is discontinued, but I still can find it as of now. Very 70's. The ingredients are well blended. Not overpowering at all, and no old man smell. That being said, would not spray it on myself, as it's not my cup of tea.

note: it is similar to Armani Attitude to me, in fact, would say Armani copied the smell.

fuggerone
fuggerone

a springtime day strolling through Paris feeling happy!

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

This is a fairly odd statement....but when I smell this stuff, I think of hot, sweaty sex. To me, it smells like what pheromones should smell like. It's odd but in a unique, enticing way. This is also a unique fragrance because at first smell, I'm turned off by it but then keep coming back for more as weird as it sounds. Strange, mystical, and masculine is the best way I can put it.

Jomoves

Don't ask me why, but I imagine this what gay porn stars with tan lines smelled like in 1979.

silentrich
silentrich

A masterpiece and something that should be in any fragrance lover's collection. It does have the barber shop vibe going on, but it's extremely smooth with the blending of the anise and patchouli.

Runbox
Runbox

Rive Gauche is fantastic for masculine, confident men; good old-fashioned, reliable men. I know only a few guys in their late twenties who really could wear Rive Gauche well. If you are one of us you can wear it for pretty much every occasion: Nights out, dates, work, trench warfare.

If you're 22, wear a flannel shirt, some fancy wristbands, converse shoes and such, Rive Gauche probably won't match up with your style over all.

The scent is long lasting and it's projection is great. I generally use one or two sprays. Strong stuff. It's funny though I can't point out the star anise, maybe I've grown "immune" to it via Opium PH.

I've garnered a few compliments with Rive gauche, though usually in intimate settings - or in the form of ladies squirming and blushing during casual conversation.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

Finally got my hand on that old stripped bottle !

Although not my type of fragrance, I find Rive Gauche richer and deeper than the reformulated Rive Gauche "la collection". It smells more authentic for sure.

I agree Rive Gauche would smell beautiful on a man that I won't be, since I simply can't pull off the anise note.

Shame it was discontinued, a truly great fragrance.

Jomoves

This is quite simply the smell of a beautiful man.

Kain
Kain

A really pleasant and good classic fragrance.
The opening of this fragrance is a sharp semi fresh, spicy and herbal scent.
It's really interesting for me beacuase the opening remind me of my childhood and a hair shampoo that I was using it those days.
This fragrance smell like shampoo and also soaps and yes, that barber shop that people keep talking about. yes!
It's not a stunning smell but definitely it's a classic fragrance.
In the dry down the semi fresh smell is gone and that spicy herbal note become stronger.
It's sharp and spicy and you will realize that you need to watch out and don't use it in high heat and you should be easy on the sprayer!
It's almost linear so the smell didn't change that much in the base.
A nice clean, herbal and spicy scent which remind you of soaps and shampoos back in 80s and 90s.
Projection is good and longevity is above average.
يه عطر كلاسيك خوب كه شما رو ياد بوي اون شامپو تخم مرغي هاي پاوه قديمي ميندازه
بوي عطر گياهي، خنك و البته تند و تيزه و بويي دقيقا شبيه به شامپو و ميشه گفت تا حدودي صابون داره
بوش البته پيچيده تر و تند و تيز تر از شامپو هست اما در هر حال بوي شامپو و صابونهاي قديمي رو ميده
آدم ياد دوران بچه گيش ميوفته
پخش بو و ماندگاريش خوبه و مشكلي از اين نظرا نداره

Kostas_Minimal
Kostas_Minimal

A Masterpiece....Just wow....Expected nothing less from Tom Ford,the man who releases signature only scents like M7 and gucci pour homme.
The opening is absolutely fantastic and it reminds me M7 a bit.Rive gauche could be a distant brother to M7...
The drydown is more herbal with toned up the patchouli and oakmoss.
I just cant continue with this review im speechless with rive gauche
*Taking a deep breath*
Longetivity is 6 to 7 hours on me but i have dry skin so i can imagine this on other people reaching 8 to 10 hours easily.
Projection is above average the first hour,the second hour average and 3rd hour a skin scent...
The only negative (which is not really a negative) is that it contains evernia prunastri extract which can be bad to few(really few)people...

Overall Score: 9.5/10

bananas
bananas

I'm a 45 yo female & have worn this fragrance for years, long before i fell in love with the female version...which by the way....is a supreme classic aldehydic chypre, & still wear both fragrances today.

I love it on the days i dont want to project 'girly' or even 'womanly'. To feel fresh, calm & clean neutral but elegant & somewhat....mysterious.

i believe it is a masterpiece scent. Timeless. Gender non-specific almost.
It screams loads of sandlewood in it's base to me.
Has a somewhat 'hippy' vibe but maybe that's just a scent-memory thing going on.
I'll always own it in my fragrance library.

pronose

Rive Gauche pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men is simply a majestic scent! likewise the 70's cologne! just awesome to wear it and go to date!

Jackson Spines
Jackson Spines

When I was first contemplating which fragrance I wanted to buy for myself, it was between this and YSL Opium for Men. I couldn't decide which one to get between the two. I ended up getting them both! I wore the Opium a few times and while I did like the scent, I found it to be too strong and overpowering to my nose. I ended up giving my bottle away. I finally got around to wearing Rive Gauche. Right away I liked it. Not too strong, perfectly blended, smooth and soothing. The lavender and soft spices in this are so beautiful! One of the best men's colognes I've smelled in awhile. It's unique and different with a personality all its own. I can see myself reaching for this quite often. Smells clean and masculine without being too over-the-top macho. Perfect for any occasion. Every man should have this in their collection.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

I always wanted to buy Rive Gauche for men, but I always put it off, until now. I just got it in the mail yesterday. WOW!!!!! I put it on this morning for work and I already got 4 compliments. It smells so refined and masculine. This fragrance is on the top of my list from now on. Another great fragrance by YSL.

Lock1454
Lock1454

*I do not have a nose that is well trained - this is my rudimentary opinion of this scent*

This is truly a great cologne. If you just came out of an old timer's barbershop just having had a haircut and a clean shave, this is what you'd smell like. A lovely & long lasting cologne that is very much akin to Barbasol. This is really a delight for me to wear that works well in the spring but excels in the fall & winter. I would avoid wearing this in the heat, that has sometimes given me the rare whiff of rotten eggs that some have mentioned on other sites/reviews.

This is not a kid's scent, this is for any confident 21+ who carries himself well. I especially love wearing this just having had a shower & shave and am either going to lounge around the house or heading out to run some errands, it really feels invigorating for some reason.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Rive Gauche PH makes me a little sad, because it is the last of the great aromatic fougeres, and represents a sort of retrospective of the genre. Thankfully, it smells terrific, very crisp and "blue" on top with heady notes of lavender, rosemary, star anise, and patchouli, and it dries into a fresh, powdered-patchouli/coumarin aura of great distinction. Clean, light, and never inappropriate, it displays a skillful versatility and timelessness that few other masculines have. That said, be prepared to catch lucid glimpses of Drakkar Noir, Azzaro PH, Cool Water, Brut, and Paco Rabanne PH during RGPH's evolution. It's disconcerting to find so many similar elements working together in a unique form, but then again it suggests the nose behind it all is a genius. Best worn with love.

Quick side note: sometimes when wearing RGPH, I get a feeling that it's an "AINO" - as in, "AINO aromatic fougere," or, Aromatic In Name Only. It's just a feeling. This fragrance is most certainly an aromatic fougere. However, it has a very old-fashioned citrus peel/lavender/powder structure, reminiscent of traditional fougeres like Brut and Canoe. It's not a million miles away from Brut in this regard. It's just beautiful, beautiful stuff. Not to be missed, please guys, go for this fragrance.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

I never start a review by saying this is a must have in a man's fragrance collection - but this is a must have.

Any man knows the smells, feelings, sensations of a good clean shave and splash of cooling aftershave. This fragrance captures that experience for me.
I won't go into the notes because they are so well elaborated by other reviewers. I will just say that this fragrance gives me the sense experiences of cleaning myself up for a special night.

The first spray is like splashing my face with water right after a shave. It reminds me of how cool the aftershave feels as I splash on my just shaved face. That wonderful whiff of the shave cream scent mixing with the skin cooling cologne. Then in the dry-down the classic fougere scent begins to swim in.

It's like I have just put on my freshly ironed white dress shirt for a special night out and am ready to step out with a loved one. It's that wonderful mingling of the cool freshness after a good shave lingering after you spray on some manly fougere cologne scent.
It's all about the sensual, optimistic and enjoyable experience of getting clean and ready for a special night out.

My Grade System : 1 is horrid, 5 average, 10 perfect

Logevity : 9.5/10

OVERALL SCORE : 8.8/10

hadrian
hadrian

It is a merciless seducer and a timeless and silent conqueror. Right said ericrico: “it recreates a sense of nostalgia while staying a step ahead”.
For me, the one and only surprise is the date of his birth – 2003! Why? Cause this jewel don’t smell like the new millennium – but much, much better! On the other hand, that detail gives me hopes: if the last, vain-promising & chaotic decade gave us something so good, we are entitled to have (at least some) optimistic expectations for the future.
RG is one of the best scents a man can cross in his mature life. It’s not a complex or “philosophical” perfume – on the contrary, it is neat and clear, clean and efficient. The current formulation (the first one, I suppose) is marvelous. Pour two or three drops/shots on your skin and the aroma will keep you alive for the rest of the day.
Every – I repeat: every – human being around you will notice it.
A deserved 9+/10

ericrico
ericrico

My review for Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Original formulation - from the 4.2oz/125ml 'shaving foam can' flacon):

A step back to the time of classic, old-school barbershops but with a great twist of modernity. Yves Saint Laurent did something special here in the realm of the traditional Aromatic Fougere. It is not a scent that will blow your mind, but instead, put it at ease. Sometimes, as in this case, less is more.

The quality ingredients with the fresh rosemary, splash of bergamot and the brilliant star anise gently come over you, followed by (as Querelle so eloquently put it) - "lavender in a great mood", a nice earthy geranium note that blends wonderfully with a key note in this brilliant can, cloves. It is what ties the star anise to the heart and carries the composition to a wonderfully warm and slightly 'dirty/earthiness' in the late heart as it blends with the coumarin into the base. Missk points out this nice contradiction very articulately. It is actually why Rive Gauche works for me. If this stayed fully clean, it would not impress me.

It does articulate well and carries an aire of both class and sophistication, but yet it works perfect after a clean shave with a pair of jeans and casual top (t-shirt in summer, long-sleeve thermal in winter). Why? Because Jacques Cavallier's intelligence told him that us, as men, would prefer to have a modern fougere that allows us to display our masculinity first and then choose how we want to present ourselves - not let the scent dictate our attire (which is often the case). This is why Aromatic Fougeres work so well - and the good ones are timeless classics...including Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Azzaro Pour Homme, Houbigant Fougere Royale, Worth Pour Homme and more. I recognize that Rive Gauche is classified as an "Aromatic Green" and not a true "Fougere" or 'fern scent' - but, to me...it is moot point. The classicism that exists here impresses the point to me that it is a modern interpretation of the brilliant Aromatic Fougeres of yesteryear with some added subtleties and nuances with a deft touch be Jacques Cavallier (under direction by Yves Saint Laurent in 2003).

It never gets heavy and stays "fresh" throughout - a key to its charm, yet it warms and reveals very good depth and shows the raw, slightly dirty edge right under the 'surface' of cleanliness. The base of rich, herbaceous green patchouli is impressive and balances wonderfully with the sharp, woody vetiver. The light touch of Oakmoss (.1% allowable by IFRA in the can) is held up with Tree Moss. However, a key note here that transcends the star anise/clove segue into the heart is the use of guaiac wood. It is an exotic wood note that has tar-like quality, imparting smoky notes in fragrance. It works perfect here and underpins the nice warm slightly earthy, dirty masculinity that makes Rive Gauche a man's man in either a fresh, pressed dress shirt with a tie or a fitted T-shirt/Polo, relaxing on the weekend.

I like what a lot of reviews here state - it recreates a sense of nostalgia while staying a step ahead. Although respected, it is understated as a composition...which, personally adds to the allure for me.

Highly recommended. Cheers.

KJS88
KJS88

WOW. I can't believe I'd forgot about it; its really just what the doctor ordered. I was going through a classic fougere/barbershop phase. Test dozens, literally dozens of the classics in the genre, from the Pinauds, to Dunhill 1934, to Brut, Hai Karate, Jade East, old Canoe, new Canoe, now back to this!

Of the lot, I'll say the mangled, over-reformulated stuff we know of today called Brut is somewhat similar, but this is really something else. So don't let that bother you!

Rive Gauche for men does something few other fragrances do: it is rich, lasting, and substantial, complex, intriguing, and has personality. But minus the funk.

That is my way of evaluating a 'modern classic'. All of the above, minus the funk.

I don't understand the 70s and 80s colognes references. Even those fragrances, having been reformulated to remove the funk, are nothing like this: their funk made them what they are--RGPH is rich and complex without the funk as it is.

It doesn't knock you over the head, but it will last, and it is a compliment getter.

Spray generously on neck, chest, and shirt an hour before going out.

I won't elaborate too much on the notes, but I can't think of a better harmony of patchouli, lavender, star anise, tonka, and guaiacum.

querelle
querelle

What can I say about Rive Gauche? It's been a faithful companion through years. Good moments and some bad.. And I was always thinking about writing about it but always doing otherwise. But today I've found 125ml of the old familiar Rive and I just wanted to share it! I'm very happy that I'll have some more time with a perfume who could have been the next step in fougeres. Round, steady, with swag and grace ,elegant. You know, the man that most women dream of. Or most men, it's of no importance.
To me, it's almost iconic. And it's a lavender in a great mood. And that woody base which is the foundation of that structure of true beauty. I'm really sorry that somebody thought completely otherwise and decided to make it, I don't know, so pointless.
Anyway, I'm really glad it's still around. Thanks mr Cavallier.

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

This is how you make Rive gauche pour homme.

Take some 70's fougere. Leave out sweaty, herbal notes that can make it smell outdated (Azzaro). Avoid cheap aquatic aromachemicals (Cool water). Keep all the good stuff like lavender, vetiver, oak moss and of course the main player, star anise.

The end result is very masculine, dark and surprisingly fresh. I don't know if this is still classified as fougere, but it has feel of light and modern fougere.

If scent had a colour, this would be dark blue. It has it's fresh and clean side, so it works great in office, but it's so dark that it's great for evening too.

In my mind there is only two perfect perfumes for men that make you stand little bit higher: Rive gauche pour homme and Chanel's pour monsieur.

One of the most beautiful bottles ever.

10-/10

sorin_mihai
sorin_mihai

this parfume reminds me of Azzaro pour Homme but it's much pleasant.. it's fresh, i can say, manly, elegant.. it was a blind buy but absolutly no regrets.. i like it.

stayclose
stayclose

Wow. Ok so this what I smelled lavender bergamont and maybe rosemary. This is how I felt, at first like a purple furry thing it was quite interesting, but then like I had just shaven all my purple furr and it took a huge can of barbasol shaving cream to do it, finally I soaked my head in old spice. Wow. What a feeling.

williamvargas
williamvargas

for a man, you just can't go wrong with this one, wearing it today, it does have the freshly shaved face smell to it, the aromatic scent that shaving creme gives off. very masculine and clean smell,not an overly perfumed smell, non offensive. always a compliment getter for me. a calming, clean woody type of floral fragrance. one of those i just reach for it without even thinking. a good standby for me and so glad i have this one. a classic man smell. thumbs up, it is dated a bit so we tend to forget how good this smells..reminds me of the aftershave that my dad wore..friendly, soothing and great smelling...all ages can pull this one off.. a lot of times when i go on business and i can only take one fragrance this one is grabbed always safe for me and the bottle is safe to carry...signature scent worthy...i wear this more than any other scent i have..
if you just want to smell like a man..not overpower people but make a good impression, i just cannot think how you can go wrong, and it is one of my most complimented fragrances by ladies of all ages...big plus if you care about that...a lot of guys i work with will often ask me what is the one you are wearing, so not off putting to other men around you..doesn't make you feel like everyone thinks you are on the prowl...lol...

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

Yes, at first it is redolent of a barber shop and shaving cream, however it dries down into much more than that. It is a well done mossy lavendar patchouli scent.

About as versatile as any fragrance can get. It is masculine, however, subtle (and not offensively loud), separating this from the crowd easily.

It is dirt cheap, projects well, lasts a long time. I recommend that you buy this one. A staple for all collections in my opinion.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

A masterpiece.

This is a 1: Aromatic fougere that smells classic and modern, 2: blends traditional clean freshness with naughty, dirty, sexiness, 3: is appropriate for evening wear, 4: is relatively smooth with a simple completeness about it, 5: is incredibly potent and long-lasting without being overbearing, and 5: costs next to nothing (for now).

It opens with a traditional fougere accord that immediately reminds one of warmed Barbasol shaving cream. It becomes woodier and more modern straight away, leaving a trail of clean sexiness. The base is warm, mossy, musky, and sexy with a bit of dampness.

To the 35+ generation: This will make women crawl.

To the youngsters: This isn't the easiest fragrance to pull off but, if you can, you will be the sexiest smelling motherf****r in the room. The fragrance of choice for the well-dressed tall, dark, and handsome men with a tasteful vamp side. Just don't overdo it; this stuff doesn't need more than two sprays for most occasions.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Fresh city air with underpinnings of corn chips (feet) and peppery salsa.

MarkStar
MarkStar

Un parfum doit avant tout sentir bon. (A perfume must above all smell good.)
~Guy Robert~

And that's exactly what Rive Gauche pour Homme does!

A "modern fougere".

IMO, everyone should have RGpH in their collection. It's not my #1 favorite but it's a solid, clean smelling, non-offensive performer that's perfect for when you just want to smell good.

I will never be without it...

oilman
oilman

i get many compliments on this juice...

necromancer
necromancer

YSL Rive Gauch Pour Homme

A classic and old barbershop, those that are deep hidden through the streets of Paris, the magnificent scent takes us back to de 50's and 60's, in those times you needed to go to a barbersop to have a clean and perfect shave. Just imagine the best shave you've ever had and with the scent that combines almost perfectly with it, it's just glorious. The lavender and geranium combination gives us a clean and fresh feeling while the anise gives power and longevity to the perfume.

One of the greatest scents of all time! and truly a classic!

mrluctoretemergo

Let me just say I'm not talking about the poor reformulation in the ugly cubic bottle...

Okay so euh ..I haven't smelled anyone EVER in my surroundings (village,town,work,family, friends...) who wore RG and that's just fine...wanna keep it that way 2...noticed it's a headturner and that's enough 4me...oh sweet vanity....:o)

My S-SCENT is...

Original
Masculine
Refined

So YES...S-scent 4sure !

Let them please make an eau de parfum 4 this one (in the old formulation) - IT WILL BE HISTORICAL !!!!!!

update : only until today i discovered aramis by aramis seems to be RG's older brother...i'm a family man so i'm thrilled !!!!!!!

Wano
Wano

Rive Gauche is one of the two fragrances that i received most compliments, the other one is GIT. Easy to understand, its a clean, pleasant, masculine scent that project well and is never annoying to others. Also, Rive Gauche for me is very versatile, either casual or formal, it does the job for every situations. I use it mainly for fall and cold spring. Finally, the best of all, it is very inexpensive.

Dougczar
Dougczar

Nice. This is not spectacular in any way, but it is easy to wear and versatile. It is a clean scent (yep - the famous shaving cream vibe) and not at all cloying.
This is great to wear when you don't want to smell like "cologne guy" - it is one of those that smells fresh - not exotic and rich. So, for that it is a thumbs up and worth having in the collection.

Zenith
Zenith

Very nice, well structured scent, and a bit heavier than most of the others in the YSL collection. I know this is supposed to appeal to French artsie types when it was created but I just can't get it out of my head that this is a great scent for the older gentleman, for one clear reason.

This smells like shaving cream, the old style applied with a badger brush. Something I definitely have not smelt in an EDT, but a very pleasant, distinct and original fragrance. Very nice on occasion, but this one is a little old for me right now

100mlEDT
100mlEDT

After reading so much about this fragrance I just had to have it!
It is everything I imagined and I love it,
I can't help but relate this to Black rexona deodorant !
In all the blogs and reviews/ comments no one else has made this suggestion, it was the first thing it reminded me of!
Now I wear them together! )

ABRAG
ABRAG

The power of fragrance and sophisticated Excellency Excellent

Complex special

Attractive to women

I would recommend him

bronstein

According to GQ, this one's the only fragrance Paul Weller ever uses. Excellent taste, even for a mod-god.

Professional Aesthete
Professional Aesthete

No!! I just received this fragrance from an online retailer in the UK (because no shops have it in stock anymore) and I find that it has a really bitter smell at the opening when I spray it on my skin. I check the serial number and it's 3323. which means it was manufactured on November 2003! That's 9 years ago!
Others buying this online beware because the retailers will try to get rid of their really old stock collecting dust.
I really wanted this one to work as I read so many positive reviews and the reformulated Rive Gauche pour homme was nice when I tested it. Hope i can get a refund from retailer.

ZELJO
ZELJO

that one should be in EDP, for me this is a night only fragance,right one for a special dinner,etc,isnt that longlasting as one would think after putting it into skin but still its quite ok

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

What a beautiful and unique scent. I think everyone's description of shaving cream with that clean barber shop aura is very apt. Fortunately, this is very well blended and not overpowering and obnoxious. Quite the opposite, it is definitely manly without screaming in one's face. I'm sold! This is disappearing fast, as I think it has been discontinued (I am not 100% positive of that), so pick a bottle of this up before it takes its place in perfume history. I know it has been rereleased in a new bottle and formulation, but I can't speak to that, as I haven't yet compared the two. A wonderful blend of spices and aromatic herbs. Definitely worth a try!

Julio Azul
Julio Azul

A very masculine scent, modern but not modish.it has something of an old barbershop but it's not simple fragrance.it is rich and bold but also soft at the same time.very good silage and great longevity up to 6 hours.for me one of the best male fragrances in market.

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Got my first compliment on this today, from a woman I work with.

She was standing about a good 15 feet away from me. She began sniffing the air, "What IS that?" she said. I braced myself, expecting the worst (the "Sex Panther" scene from Anchorman came to mind). She sniffed around the air a bit, came closer to me and exclaimed: "It's you! You smell wonderful!"

This is a projection and silage monster on me. It doesn't do much at first but after about an hour it really started to get going. Though while this can project across the room, it doesn't seem to overpower or offend. The scent is a bit thick, but never cloying or menacing. It just sort of fills the air with... pleasantness. I'm on about 12 hours since putting it on, it's not projecting much but I can smell it if I lift up my shirt. It's very impressive considering the price.

It's a bit much in the beginning, but it smooths out quite nicely after a short while. A bit earthy. A bit woody, a hint of spice. Creamy, as in, shaving-cream-y. "Barbasol" was the first thing that came to mind, which I don't think is a bad thing. People will smell you and think you've just had a shave. It's very clean and fresh feeling, yet warm and a little sweet. I suppose 'gentle' would be a good description.

This is a very masculine scent, classic and modern at the same time. Good contender for Signature Scent status.

The same woman from work seemed to pass by me a number of times throughout the day, more often than usual.

Rive Gauche for Men is a timeless masterpiece that deserves widespread availability. I'd love some of the younger men in my life to have the opportunity to experience something so extravagant and earthy as this.

Rich and herbaceous, Rive Gauche for Men is understandably an acquired taste. However that's not to say that this fragrance is in any way offensive or loud. I would actually say this fragrance is quite clean and refreshing despite its earthiness.

The scent leaves me slightly perplexed at times with its clean, shaving cream accord counteracting with a somewhat dirty/earthy patchouli, clove and vetiver blend. Essentially, Rive Gauche for Men jumps to and fro between gentleman cleanliness and raw, masculine filthiness. This is what makes this fragrance so intriguing.

As a woman, I wouldn't dare wear Rive Gauche for Men, that is unless I chose to get in touch with the barbarian behind the reserved exterior. On a man's skin, this fragrance exudes elegance and old-fashioned charm, like a slick man in a tuxedo puffing ever so gently on a cigar.

Rive Gauche for Men perfectly compliments the feminine version of this fragrance, which bears the same name. They both share a classic powderiness that when worn on the skin can create a dense and rich feeling.

In my opinion, Rive Gauche has not reached its use by date, even though I will admit that it has the tendency to appeal to much older men. The sillage is moderate but thankfully not too strong and I'm happy to say that the scent lasts and lasts.

Grottola
Grottola

A simple, yet incredibly well-done aromatic fougère that, despite being made in 2003, harkens back to the days when men actually had testicles, and nobody left the house without first applying no less than 20 sprays of perfume.

The premise is simple: take a classic aromatic fougère like Azzaro Pour Homme. Big lavender note? Yep. Turn up the anise a bit. The ambery, coumarinic sweetness? Turn that up a bit. Lower the herbs. Add a BIG patchouli note. Voila. A calming fragrance that says, "I'm a guy you can count on." It's not "old", it just smells reliable. It is quite strong and it lasts a while, but who cares? Wear it with dignity and let the people around you know that they can trust you. I find it more interesting and satisfying than Azzaro Pour Homme (although Azzaro Pour Homme is still a wonderful fragrance; no doubt). Rive Gauche says to the world, "I am not a moody little bitch that starts drama over Facebook. I'm a meat-and-potatoes guy, and I still eat proper home-cooked meals like pot roast."

krmarich
krmarich

After the commercial failure of M7, came Rive Gauche PH. It was lauched with the reformulation of the original ladies. It is a very traditional fougere that could not catch on in todays sugary market.

It last on me for 24 hours or longer if I dont shower. I rarely use it today, but went through a full can in 2007-08! The can remind me of shaving cream-yes the marketing worked brilliantly here-everyone thinks of Barbasol. Its inspriation was Pinauds talc that was used in barber chairs since 1800. Its very clean and maintains that fresh showered feel all day or more.

It has the oakmoss turned down to a whisper, and had it been introduced in 1975, would have roared throughout the composition. It is very urban chic manhood in a can. Yes the YSL revolution continued, but for how much longer could this charade last?

Roqfort
Roqfort

Perfect masculin scent with impressive staying power.
No flowers, only 100% of men.
Must have for guys, don't shave their chests...

JohnMc
JohnMc

An intense, brooding and powerful herbal concoction of a scent. Everything from the stylised, saber-like flacon with its uber sophisticated curves and lines says quiet sophistication and unique appeal to me. This is very unlikely to be a crowd pleaser, in a world full of 'Bleu de Chanels' and such like, this offering from YSL stands out as audacious, herbal and has a light air of antiquity about it, without being plain old-fashioned. I would feel very comfortable wearing this fragrance as an accompaniment to a smart suit, evening at the theatre etc. It has a rich, evocative characteristics which say 'grown-up' without being stuffy. This is the antithesis of bland and boring or sweet and sickly. Do YSL ever do poor fragrances?? A winner.

Yan9
Yan9

This is great scent. This is one of my favorites. This has such nice notes that you feel clean fresh all day along. The longevity on my skin is 10+ hours. The base notes of this scent are really amazing the woods, patchouly and vetiver.

This is really a masculine scent. There is little bit of resemblance to Barbershop smell but I don’t think you can call it as barbershop smell. This is one of the best green aromatic scents and is a must try.

My Ratings out of 10

Scent - 10
Sliage -9.25
Longevity – 9.5

Overall 9.5

I don't understand the "barbershop" claim with this one, but perhaps I went to a different barbershop when I was younger (I no longer do). Instead, I think of the openings of fragrances like the original Lomani as "barbershop." Anyway, I found the opening to be very nice. It's highly blended, a bit creamy, quite soft, and a little anisic. Over time, it dissipates to reveal the base, which is as stated: dry woody with vetiver and patchouli. There may be too much patchouli for me, even though I like the dry, dusty quality of this base. I just did a dab sampling on the wrist, so I'll have to give it a normal wearing and update this review.

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

Initial impression: only very slight rosemary immediately after spray, along w/ nice, clean lavender; maybe a little anise, reminiscent of Azzaro pH;

@ 10" maybe geranium, no clove;

@ 20" still no clove, but something a little sweet;

@ 30" faded, close to skin, not much projection. I don't get the vetiver, gaiac wood, perhaps a note of patchouli.

@ 50" no change. Does not seem to project much on me. Very nice, classic, smooth dry-down, pleasant to wear

bp
bp

Hyper-masculine.
Ideal for all men who see shaving as a cult.
I love it.
Timeless.

saint james
saint james

I like very much but do not love this frag. I tried it several years ago at Colonial Drug in Cambridge, MA and was um, unimpressed. Perhaps it was the mood of the day; the previous scents I had tried or maybe...whio knows? I recently tried this again in the summer. At first the anise/clove smell turned me off. I took the advice of the sales person and waited it out. I am so very glad I did. In it's bottom notes the patchouli and wood note is intoxicating on my skin. I love to wear this with patchouli strategically placed on varius pulse points. I wear Rive Gauche smack dab in the middle of my chest. The person to person reactions are very positive. They never ask what I am wearing. They will simply say you smell good. I could grow to love this scent if I could tone down the anise in the begining. I am trying to locate the Intense version of RG with very little success. If anyone can assist I'd be very appreciative. RG is unusual, deep, intoxicationg and a perfect match for my ever present patch fetish.

jtd
jtd

Rive Gauche pour Homme is a thick, heavy aromatic fougère. Its aromatic notes are balanced, but aren’t key players. They are the Greek chorus to the lavender and coumarin that define RGpH. Clove focuses our attention on the coumarin, and rosemary and geranium steer us to the lavender.

RGpH reminds me of what I love about the fougère. Because the interaction of lavender and coumarin plays out mostly as contrast rather than agreement, the greater the counterpoint, the better the fougère. The aromatics keep our attention on the lavender and coumarin and their combined raspiness.

If the accord is stark, the transitions are not. It moves easily from an enveloping church organ blast of a perfume to a brisk barbershop slap to a husky whisper. There is nothing superfluous. The fragrance emerges from the fundamental duality.

RGpH is not pretty, it’s handsome. By historic fragrance norms, it is so classically masculine that I can’t help but feel like I’m in man-drag when I wear it. By the same reasoning, it’d be loads of fun on a femme woman.

ION
ION

Rive Gauche pour Homme, unfortunately, does not hold up against its big name heritage.
It is an unusual, dark, round smell that creats a cloud of a silent elegance around the person who wears it. If you are a very communicative individual with a solar outgoing personality this one is NOT for you.
It does last long even when applied in small doses, but it doesn't do much, "Givenchy Gentleman" doesn't do better.

boyxtoy
boyxtoy

the proyection in this one it's GOD LEVEL!!!!
it's truly asome that rive gauche pour femme, was realese in the 70's, and YSL can create the pour version like 30 years later and make the scent feel like 70's <3 that's magic, and the bottle it's just a piece of haute couture <3 love it, a shame that my father spend it all xd jajajaa he used mine rive gauche pour homme and finished in just 2 months :| :(

Karenin
Karenin

I´m truly enchanted with this outstanding fragrance. It´ll never be worshipped by the masses, which in itself is a clear sign of its originality and exceptionality.

bronstein

I'm quite with the comments below, it's very unusual and you have to get used to it. The thing is, it smells more like shaving foam than after shave. But then, it's the finest shaving foam you could imagine. Put differently, it gives you a feel of being freshly shaven for the whole day, not least since the lasting power is an outstanding one.

A nice one for four seasons!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A great modern take on the old aromatic barbershop vibe of days gone by. And yes it really does smell like shaving cream but in a good way. Thumbs up.

inquisitor
inquisitor

Well, I bought this blindly since everyone on the Interwebs seems to drink this like cool aid at a cult meeting.

Regrettably I was somewhat disappointed at first that it didn't really smell like anything I expected it to. Perhaps I haven't been to enough barbershops to know what they should smell like. I was somewhat taken aback by the unfamiliar smell of Rive Gauche when I first tried it since it was unlike anything I've every smelled before which made it feel kind of synthetic for me since I couldn't draw any parallels to natural scents. A bit sharp in the beginning too even if it gets a lot better over time. Definitely a very male scent even though it lacks prominent wood and leather notes. I wouldn't want any girl to smell like this. Even if it is sharp and overpowering at first I can still smell an amazing dry down the next day on my wrists.

so, a bit of pro and con:

cons:
- feels unfamiliar and hard to pin down
- a bit too sharp initially

pros:
+ gets a lot better over time with a very smooth and comforting dry down
+ doesn't smell like "old man cologne" at all and still manages to be very masculine (hence the barbershop references I suppose, I still think my shaving foam smells better though, too bad I can't get that in a bottle).

In terms of age this would work fine for all men who are old enough to need a shave in the morning.

Personally I would rate this as "ok but not really for me" yet I can see why some people love this. I've had my bottle for a year or so but I seldom use it.

Definitely not something you should buy blindly but definitely something you should try if you're a man and the reviews intrigue you. Don't just try it on a strip, try it on your skin and evaluate how the scent evolves during the day since this is the only way to reveal its true strengths.

masboi
masboi

original scent.

reminds me of barbershop shaving cream, clean, fresh, really manly frag.

definitely must have for someone who have beard and mustache.

longevity is good too, about 8-10 hours on my skin, another perfect office scent. but sometimes, i do wear it for special occasion, such as wedding ceremony, and formal meeting.

very versatile, i used it in the morning, or in the evening. and it can be used for suit and tie, or just tees and jeans.

i will repurchase this frag if i'm run out.

longevity : 9/10
projection : 8/10
overall smell : 10/10
recommended age : someone who have beard and mustache. (25 and up)

if azzaro pour homme is to old for you, this is the perfect substitute for you.

JubeiSpiegel
JubeiSpiegel

A timeless classic that i had to own, especially since i like fresh smelling scents. I have to say that i only like it, but not love it. I pick up a strange warm smell from it, and it's awfully synthetic at times. Not really what i am looking for in a fresh scent, but i see why people really love this one.

marioslg1
marioslg1

One of a kind perfume....there is nothing in the market to smell like this. Barbershop, the old barbershop that has been renovated but still retains the classic appeal. Definetely for mature well dressed men. In my opinion, this together with M7 and Kouros, are the best from YSL. True classic and unique!

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Tried this in the YSL shop on Luxury row, Hawaii, in case you're looking for it.

It starts as something I relate to a very women's fragrance, to say the least.

The drydown is so much nicer.
Right in there with Body Kouros with the green, spicy formula. Masculine and only slightly modern. Today's youth might benefit from its sporty, yet classic, quality.

I've tried Rive Gauche Homme as it seems to be a crowdpleaser and I totally got disappointed. The opening is nice with a pleasant liquorice/anice effect and bergamot, but as it starts to dry it immediately bring me back in the 80's. The ugly ones. The ones where girls used to wear fluorescent yellow polyamide t-shirts, backcombed hairs, fishnet tights and plastic earings and guys used to wear tennis-player-like hairband and horrible shoulder padded jackets. The ones Perfumes Houses used to mix weird loud accord to a cheap barbershop like base to create a male fragrance. Sorry guys but I've to pass on this one.

When It comes to bold aromatic fougeres there's nothing like Or Black.

The atomizer is absolutely marvellous, but it's not enough.

Rating: 8/10 (for the opening)
5/10 (for the drydown)
6.5/10 (overall)

K1
K1

I can't understand it's launched in 2003. This marvelous fragrance seems is the first of the house.
RG is macho muscled iconic-style young man. It presents a strong green aromatic spicy fragrance on typically famous combine of lavender/rosemary.
RG is extension of old barbershop perfumes without any flowers in. A new comer extremely masculine made of testosterone.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This has a definite classic feel to it, like a 50s barbershop. Reminds me of Old Spice a little bit. The rosemary, clove and lavender are by far the most dominant scents in this fragrance, it's a shame I think that the vetiver and patchouli aren't more dominant, but this might contribute to how clean this smells. I tend to prefer unisex perfumes and even steal my boyfriends cologne sometimes, but there is no way this could be worn by a woman, it's very masculine indeed.

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

I love this stuff ( yes maybe it is similar to Brut ) but this one is great.
Very long lasting power, clean, and very MASCULINE.
No way this can be worn by women

mal23
mal23

old man scent that is out dated for someone under 30 years old. Is still relevant and a classic scent

dandy721

I'm very jealous of my frangrances. This year my friend bought Rive Gauche after he heard many compliments i recieved for this frangrance. At the beginig i changed i took gucci , i don't like to wear the same frangrance as my friends do , but after one month i told myself :Damn i startet to wear it for first it's my sign not his. So i bought it again. I love it. So classy retro' and modern.

lovescully
lovescully

As many have said before me, Rive Gauche Pour Homme has a strong 'barbershop’ characteristic that gives this fragrance a unique combination of an old world kind of charm mixed with a modern fresh quality.

Whenever I smell it, it immediately takes me back to when I was very young. I’d be watching my father getting a shave and haircut at the local barber shop, in the middle of the Australian Summer, with only one small ceiling fan to ward of the heat. It has a certain strong manly quality that I can’t quite put my finger on. It’s not sweat or body odour, but more like the smell of my father’s clean shaven skin after these encounters.

Somehow this classic combination of spices and herbs provokes this strong feeling of nostalgia, yet still manages to offer (in my humble opinion) a very versatile and modern choice for anyone looking to feel clean and refreshed, while still noticeably perfumed.

I absolutely love how this makes me feel; classy, distinguished, sophisticated and a bit daring. I can imagine that this is what a secret agent would reach for when he’s tasked with seducing a deadly female spy (sorry I got a bit carried away there for a moment)!

Sillage and longevity are pretty outstanding. My verdict is a great big two thumbs up.

P.S. The ‘intense’ version of RGPH is actually quite a bit different to this, so check out the reviews on that one and try before you buy.

There is no way this great fragrance to be unisex...unless if women are going also to the barber shops for shaving. This is a real masculine manly fragrance, it reminds the past to conqeur the present in the world of perfumery. Together with Kouros, m7, l,instand de guerlain are the top male perfumes for guys above 35! No other fragrances are so manly smelling.

missan

Update: the normal version and the intense are quite a bit different, I love them both. While the normal is a real barbershop, the intense is more clean and very concentrated green.

guest_ASSAF
guest_ASSAF

What I will say "Rive Gauche pour Homme YOU WELL COME IN THE KINGDOM OF MASCULINITY"

jazz444
jazz444

Plush, smoky, spicy, dark, dry, intriguing, and long-lasting. What else is there to say about this near perfection in a bottle? Resides permanently in my top ten.

BIG
BIG

all in all, it's a good fragrance, except for the cloves note which stands out a bit too much. toning it down a bit would've been much better. enjoying the fresh soapy smell and trying to ignore the cloves note, as much as i can :)

missan

What can I say, this is truly amazing.
I also have the Intense version, a bit stronger and longer lasting. I love them both.
Edit: After some longer evaluation I find the Intense quite a bit better in all.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

I bought that one for 20$ at Wal-Mart! haha!!! What a BARGAIN!

I like it with its lavender and soft patchoully. Barbershop style and classic one. Not my prefered one but I think it deserve a good try by all men.

7,5 / 10

After 30 min you gonna love it. Very french very chic

periquito89
periquito89

Barbershops and shave cream smell, checked. Look the bottle itself, does it mean something to you? Strongly familiar from the first spray ... What are you going to do with a retrofit of something that looks to be an old, cheap smell because you were used to find a long time ago? A "Brut" cousin if you prefer, as I read around there? I don't know. BUT, as for me, I'm still smiling. Feels nostalgic. Doesn't look romantic, but has something classy, an "old spicy" classy. Fresh and very strong, I can understand the "Yeah!" reaction from some, including me.

Robert White
Robert White

I love this stuff. Yeah, it's got a "barbershop" type of note to it - probably do to that rosemary and bergamot - but on the way way extreme end of the drydown, there's a nice incense smell, barely there, but kind of as if they out it in there as a nice surprise. I am buying some forthwith.

instantjim
instantjim

This one is a very clean spicy non-offensive mix. After 6 hours it reminds me a lot of, dare I say, "Old Spice" - which is not necessarily a bad thing (in fact Old Spice is my wife's favourite fragrance for men). This one is neither here nor there as far as I am concerned, though I think I might try to find some Old Spice.

shamus1
shamus1

YSL Rive Gauche is outstanding. At first, it smells like a typical barbershop-type aromatic fougere (kind of like Pinaud's Clubman talc). Very old-school at first. Then about an hour later, after the sharp top notes fade, it mellows out and becomes slightly sweet, musky and just beautiful. Don't let my words "sweet" and "beautiful" make you think this is a cologne for wimps - it's a very manly fragrance, it's just multi-faceted. This milder accords lasts around five hours on my skin and is just great. The remaining drydown is excellent too, because it seems to revert subtly back to the initial barbershop feel. The fragrance evolves beautifully and is a pleasure to wear. I'd put YSL Rive Gauche on my top ten list of favorite fragrances.

knightz
knightz

Rive Gauche pour Homme is not as instantly likable as most other Jacques Cavallier creations are, but, after a short blast of dissonance in the beginning, it quickly comes in tune to my nose. And, with each wearing I like it more.

In the top, before it even starts to calm down, there is a disarray of intense notes including Star Anise, Rosemary, and Cloves, all bathed in notes of rich Bergamot and Green Leaves, and all vying for center stage. It takes 10 to 15 minutes for all the intense notes to calm down, but it soon starts to reveal it's inner beauty. As the Spices and Anise subside slightly, a beautiful and manly floral accord of Lavender, Jasmine, and Rose come to the surface and dominate the scent. The flowers are strong and make a single Floral Accord together, but Lavender/Rose/Jasmine... they are all there... if I look for them. It's a good floral blend. The spicy flowers hold on right into the emerging base notes of Vetiver, Patchouli, and Wood. It is bold, but still classy.

The sillage is huge for the first 2 to 3 hours, then it gets average for another 3 hours. After 6 hours it's still there, but has calmed to just a soft skin-scent, very close and nothing like the monster sillage it used to have.

It is beautiful, original, and classy. It can even come across as being somewhat elegant... with all those flowers crammed into a such a masculine scent. It's about as far away from subtle, without being a "powerhouse" scent, as any scent could be. It tries hard to get it's message out, and it does a very good job of it.

Rive Gauche pour Homme is Excellent.

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

It reminds me of smell of babershops. Classic, clean, fresh, gentle. And also modern, and incredible sexy. I love it!

LuckyStar1

A very popular scent with the ladies. I have had some very nice compliments from women over this fragrance.

LuckyStar1

This fragrance has great staying power. Nice and spicy.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

this fragrance reminds me of stepping in a barber shop. It is long wearing with a woodsy undertone.

2007

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent 4.24 out of 5 based on 780 ratings and 146 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.