Designers » T-Z » Chypre Fruity « Groups

Y Yves Saint Laurent for women

Y Yves Saint Laurent for women
dislike

aldehydic
Y Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Y Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures Y Yves Saint Laurent for women Pictures

Y by Yves Saint Laurent is a Chypre Fruity fragrance for women. Y was launched in 1964. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Amic. Top notes are aldehydes, honeysuckle, gardenia, green notes, peach, mirabelle plum and galbanum; middle notes are tuberose, orris root, jasmine, hiacynth, ylang-ylang and bulgarian rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, benzoin, civet, oakmoss, vetiver and styrax.

Aldehydes Honeysuckle Gardenia Green Notes Peach Mirabelle Plum Galbanum

Amouage Gold pour Homme

Y Fragrance Reviews

Henriette
Henriette

When I first wore it in the '70es, Y was the most sophisticated chypre around.
Perhaps it was the most sophisticated perfume around tout court.
It was a green complicated symphony of flowers and woods, with aldehydes directing the movement.
It was a masterpiece, a subdued one, never reaching the status of other perfumed monuments. Underrated it has always been, but enjoying the status of untouchable among those who had tried it.
I have never bought the Eau de Parfum back in those days because the Eau de Toilette had a powerful strength and I never dared something more potent.
Today Y is still much enjoyable, much lighter and less long lasting.
The Eau de Toilette is much much thinner than it used to be, the fragrance is still very good, very classy, very beautiful.
It is still a wonderful green chypre, a genre it seems to have been replaced by syrupy, candy, sweety fruity scents so much in fashion today.
But chypre remains a classy genre, my personal very favourite one declined in all its possible hues and Y is a magnificent representative scent.
Yes, even today, even after being reformulated.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

Bought myself my first bottle of "Y" in the current EDT this month. Classic Green/Floral/Chypre. Nose: Jean Amic, 1964.

Y sails in on a cloud of nose-prickling aldehydes; whispers of dry nostalgic peach and gardenia follow. The peach actually takes my nose not into the mod-1960's, but rather into the 1930's, when that winsome note was often used in the head of fine perfumes. The gardenia adds a smooth floral roundness to the head, which is well-supplied with a bitter green galbanum. That Y is a chypre is evident from the first sniff; one never wonders whether it might morph into a fruity, woody, spicy or oriental. The base is a true chypre of the old-school, and surprisingly substantial, chunky for a women's number of Midcentury. If you've ever mixed together the building blocks of a chypre with your own essential oils--- bergamot, tonka, patchouly, oakmoss, civet, vetiver--- you know that the result is surprisingly chunky... thick and dark and earthy; something of that solid nature is kept present in Y, not merely intimated, as it is, say, in CRISTALLE or DIORELLA. Without elements such as cade and Russian birchtar (or isobutyl quinine), I cannot call Y a leather per se; no, it is a true chypre in every way. The heart seems to me strong in bulb-flowers: narcissus, hyacinth, jonquil, iris, tuberose, muguet, with only intimations of other "colored" flowers like rose. With the galbanum head, the flowers always retain an air of sharp, early-spring greenness, even into far drydown. Like many great old fragrances, Y does not have just a single "stamp" or idea that it projects; as others have stated here, it is a free-formed shapeshifter, revealing its components differently depending upon skin tone, warmth and weather; there was a time that this malleable, indefinable character was seen as the mark of a truly fine perfume. Refined, very "French", Y combines an airy, bitter-"haute chic" head with a surprisingly earthy/mossy base. Though I am using the modern EDT, nothing suggests that it has been "dumbed-down", "freshened" or made linear to please modern noses; the moss within is probably tree-moss instead of the IFRA-banned oakmoss, yet it sure smells like oakmoss to me. A subtle civet, here not in a foecal capacity, but rather imparting a wash of some classic ("old lady-ish" ?) indoles, imparting lushness to both floralcy and base. Grand and uber-stylish, Y is not a scent for cheerleaders and sorority sisters; it probably wears best on a woman over 35 who can rock its sophisticated swank. Were it not for its subtly frilly muguet hint, it could be easily worn by men, too. The sillage at first is aldehydic-bright, sharp and profuse, yet it quickly dies down into a rooty greenish-yellow stamp that will last many hours. Its closest perfume neighbor would be, not CRISTALLE, CREPE-DE-CHINE or DIORELLA, but rather 1947's BANDIT in its finer EDP quality; Y looks more to the past than it does to the 1960's future. I may be laughed at by saying that Y's floral heart reminds me of the vernal, green, bulb/rooty blend found in GREY FLANNEL. I picture blonde women wearing Y, somehow--- Grace Kelly or Ingrid Bergman. Y is highly recommended for the person who appreciates fine, classic French perfumery, and with an especial love for green notes.

kewart
kewart

Elegance in a bottle.

elusivek
elusivek

While it started out as bracing/breathtakingly fresh (aldehydes?), it nearly immediately, becomes an almost "ice queen" powerhouse type of chypre (I mean this as a compliment) with a fabulous dose of Oakmoss. However, hours into it, it dried down to a nauseating abundance of powder that choked out every other element.
Sillage is good (horrendously strong once it hits the powder stage) and staying power is 6+ hours. Sadly powder is one of the three elements that is a no go for me in perfume.

minalistic
minalistic

At first I thoght this as a crisp, perfect summer scent --- but it's much much more than just that !
It's a little bit like Saint Laurent's Rive Gauche, but Rive Gauche is to me , is an explosion of adelhydes and fairly one-toned, simple fragrance whereas Y is more complicated and elegant.
It is an art in a bottle. That's all I can say.
A must have.

lemmenkukka

I CAN´T STOP LOVING THIS! Funny that it´s classified as chypre floral, because in my opinion this is very green chypre with some slight sweetness. That´s on my skin. Very sophisticated, vivid, complex and LUX. Feeling womanish, beloved and wise when wearing this. Can You believe that people respect you more when You wear this?! I´m honest saying that yes they do. I have noticed it.
Very good for Autumn and Winter.One of my true gems. And this frag has a Year of Celebration in 2014 - 50 golden years. Absolute classic. Piece of Art.Perfect. A reason to live and keep going.

Sassy1

The "in between" seasons are what Y was made for. It's perfect in the spring as a reminder of freshly turned earth and flower bulbs breaking through to the sun's warmth. In the fall, the autumn leaves rustled underfoot and a chill in the air complement Y's earthy character.

I feel sorry for those who can't appreciate it...life would be less complete without this lovely mossy beauty.

stormyla
stormyla

This is a very charming and elegant fragrance. It's full of poise and intrigue. I've been nursing a 60's era bottle of the parfum for some time now. Of the many classic "green" fragrances that I've tried this has one of the lightest and brightest characters. It is also softer than most green scents having no sharp edges.

This fragrance is a precursor of the "green" scents that came to define the 70's. Most of them are a lot stronger and harsher than this lovely "Y".

Recently YSL has launched a version of Y minus the Oakmoss and with other changes. I haven't tried the new fragrance and plan to replace my bottle with another vintage one. There is a lot of vintage Y EDT available on Ebay, but not much of the parfum. I'm going to hold out for the parfum as that is how I've come to love this scent and don't want something that may disappoint.

For any of you who have found other "green" fragrances too harsh & bitter, this may be the one that will steal your heart!

Blu Garcon
Blu Garcon

This totally reminds me of Pierre Cardin Pierre 1976; almost the same notes and almost he same looking parfum bottle. I actually have both but of course, Y is a lot more prominent.

rttoronto
rttoronto

I can't believe I am just discovering this now. I have a vintage and a new, they are both good. Y de YSL is unbelievably multilayered, in fact it's so complex that I still feel like I am smelling a different perfume each time I try it. An absolute MUST try for any chypre and aldehyde fan. Very unisex...male fumeheads, you owe it to yourself to try this.

greenelf
greenelf

This scent--and I still have a tiny mini of it left--will always scream "1975" to me--the 70's were so very all about herbs and woods and chypre! Clairol herbal essence dressed up to go out on the town! I loved it then and I always will--but it is a lot of nostalgia in a bottle for me!

freddinos
freddinos

My fragrance preferences over the decades have been the story of Benjamin Button. In my late teens and throughout my twenties, I was all about strong, powerful almost astringent scents, always 100% 'sugar free'. Among the perfumes I used during those years were Aromatics Elixir, Jacomo Anthracite, Montana, YSL Rive Gauche and of course Y. After I hit 30 I became an oriental floral and vanilla lover, but that's another story:)
Y is a classic example of timeless perfumery. Green, aldehydic,mossy, animalic, a chypre in all its glory. Despite all those 'harsh sounding' accords, Y is smooth. It doesn't feel dated, but I cannot call it modern. It makes me think of an intellectual yet coquettish Parisian lady of the 1970s on a rainy evening, impeccably dressed in Yves Saint Laurent, dining gracefully at Maxim's effortlessly engaging in conversations about politics, art and literature dazzling her male companions with both her looks and personality...
Powerfull and strong, wear to create a nice contradiction with an ultra feminine outfit or to enhance your assertive personality regardless!

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Thank you Namida, for the generous decant!

No bite, no sharpness for me here.
Y is all about smooth thick flowers on a bed of slightly damp oakmoss.
Never heavy.
The scent of a spring forest at dusk where fairies live and play.

There are no aldehydes for me here. At least not the aldehydes I smell in N°5. But there is a certain airyness to the perfume. A sense of light shining through the new, green spring foliage. So maybe that's what the aldehydes do, without being to prominent as a scent itself.
The hiacynth is quite prominent on my skin, but never once does it turn plasticky, as this wonderful blue flower often does. The gentle yet heady scent of honeysuckle transports me to my childhood and the honeysuckle in my mother's garden that gave off its scent most strongly at dusk.
There's a slight sweetness from the fruits, ripe and dripping. And then there's the wonderful bitter, foresty oakmoss. It binds the whole thing together without ever being austere or cold. No, in Y the oakmoss is light, airy, happy.
Y is a perfume of pure joy. It represents spring and summer without ever being citrussy or overly green. It's a portrait of spring in pastel shades. Soft and slightly chilly, but never cold and always inviting.

troischat
troischat

I love this perfume. I love the bite, and then it softens up without becoming sickly.

mozzaa
mozzaa

I can not like this one despite having a tendancy to gravitate toward chypres and my love affair with Yves Saint Laurent frags. I listened to passionata20 and gave it another try (before deciding what to do with my unused bottle). I'm still finding it a bit too synthetic and perhaps green for me. Maybe it's the aldehydes. Anyone having the same reaction?

thunderlights
thunderlights

Back in the eighties when I was a jet engine mechanic and had to hold on to my fiminine side, I always worn Y. My work partners would tease me about wearing perfume to work but secretly, they loved when I was near. My son was only a young boy at the time but he told me that I should wear this frangrance forever.
I loved it but haven't had any in years.

smellsogood
smellsogood

Forget Guerlain's "Little Black Dress." YSL made the perfect LBD in Y. This is the epitome of chic and style. The wear anywhere, anytime, with anything fragrance. An effortless wonder that is green, but not too green. Clean, but not too clean. Mossy, but not too mossy......I could go on, it is never too anything, it is just perfect. In fact if I could only have one fragrance, it would probably be this. Wonderful.

ensoleille
ensoleille

My favorite scent of all time.
I am not thrilled with the reformulation sans oakmoss, but what can one do?
So, I found some old Y bath oil on eBay that hadn't lost it's original scent, and I use it as a base and then the newer cologne on top.
This perfume was the first or "initial" scent created by YSL - so he used his initial as it's name.

trueblue19
trueblue19

My review is based on the vintage parfum of Y.

Y didn't surprise me, either in a good or bad way, at the very start. Aldehydes, oakmoss, galbanum, golden greenish, freshness of fruits without being sweet, as much as I love these, the opening seems a bit too prim. It does remind me of my ever beloved Rive Gauche, but I much prefer the bubbly fizzy aldehydes in the top of Rive Gauche, which land on my skin like an expanding mushroom cloud. Y is too close to skin, too low pitched. Then came the floral parts, unsweetened white florals and green leaves. It shares similarities with Chanel No.19, only less powdery and cold. This smells to me a dry, warm, self-content chypre floral, well-bred, intellectual, sophisticated. It's very refined, but I was expecting more. I felt a bit letdown by the linearity and even the longevity too. It became quite faint after 2 hours , as a parfum!

How wrong I was.

Just when I began to forget about it, I suddenly caught a whiff of a new scent. It was Y! Still clean, but sweeter with sandalwood and much much deeper with pathouli and resins. It's even become stronger with bigger sillage! I could clearly smell it as I moved around. Gorgeous.

While writing this review, I keep sniffing my wrist and here comes the last drama: the civet! I should've known since my cats sniffed my wrist and licked their lips lol. It's so subtle yet sexy enough to be noticed, adding some edge to the dry down. Now that's what I call a YSL classic. They refuse to fall into any cliche.

It's been over 8 hours now and the tiny drop is still going strong on my skin. I think it's more of a day scent, a luxurious one of course.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Beautiful grassy chypre perfection. Literally a breath of fresh air! I can't really review this any better than JTD did below me, and our feelings about the scent are harmonious. If you've been searching for that perfect spring floral chypre and haven't tried this yet, give it a go. It may be the one!

Matusha
Matusha

I have an original bottle that has a darker color. Indeed the darkness conveys its potency. One spray can last for a day or more depending on when you wash it away. That speaks volumes in todays 3 hour affairs.

Reading through the below comments, it looks like Y has underwent some changes. One of my favorite notes was oakmoss. It had a dark, dusty, mystery about it. The chypre class was all about oakmoss. Toss in some fruit and some tropical flowers and you get one of the most perfect perfumes ever created-Y. Oh did I mention the civet? This is pure seduction in a bottle.

Yes, its a green chypre. You almost forget its green character over the course of the day. In the heat, it carries far. I always loved to use it in the springtime when it rained. It seemed to paint this masterpiece with you in it. The hours passed and this beauty kept revealing her mysteries. The world seemed like such an innocent place back then. At least the perfume world was innocent. Perhaps that innocence has been lost as Y has changed.

Perfume is no longer your character. In fact, you are expected to fade into the background today. Get some original Y and this will not happen. You will steal the spotlight! YSL intended it that way, sort of like nature...

mereltje
mereltje

This perfume I was wearing for years, it's a very light, female, soft and tender perfume. The pitty is that it doesn't stay very long on my skin: after an hour or two, three it is almost gone. I think the vintage will stay longer...

ivi rose
ivi rose

This review is for vintage bath oil. It's ok. I was disappointed because I had read so many good reviews.
It is clean and florally with a sandalwood dry down. I enjoy the dry down but it is light.
This would be good when I don't really want to stand out or around someone with allergies since I don't think anyone else can smell this on me.
This is a very neutral scent for me. It doesn't make me happy nor do I hate it.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I bought this one today after smelling the disastrous reformulation sans oak moss and grabbed this one with not one but two types of oak moss in it! This scent surprised me, I was a little scared that it would be overly sharp as I didn't get on with Ma Griffe though I like most green perfumes. I own and love No 19 and Fidji and feel that this sits between the two. It goes on a little 'angry' as most aldehydes do, then settles into an almost delicious composition moving through dry autumn leaves and green grass to the plum note that I love in Rochas Femme. This is a scent with a long evolution and is clean, sexy and not at all humdrum. I will wear it for work and in the daytime instead of Femme or Opium alongside No 19. A green scent with warmth and sexiness - wonderful and an absolute travesty that it's gone.

soonflower
soonflower

It was my blind buy.
I always wanted to smell it, than it becomes my obsession - I wanted to have it, but were never able even to get a sniff of Y simply because I couldn't find it anywhere in my country.
I'm not dissapointed.
It's green, soft, smells elegant, fresh and after an hour becomes little sweet.
Lasting power could be better but still it's not that bad - about 4 hours on my skin.
Could be an unisex.

LaPetite
LaPetite

I was surprised with this one ; regarding the notes it's one of those typical loud old school scents , but not at all !
Maybe it's because it's an EDT that i've tried , but it's very discreet ans not very long lasting .
Despite this it's very green , fresh , a bit sharp and maybe unisex . I really like it .

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

It seems as if I have found my perfumed Holy Grail:Gosh, what a achingly beautiful scent!!!I From a singular search for a scent my mother wore in the 1960's(one being Nostalgia by Monteil; practically impossible to find at a price I can afford) my journey has led to the discovery and realization that the chypre family of fragrances have become my passionate favorite, ousting the spicy orientals I have favored for years. I have become enamoured with the perfect creation that is Y, balanced, elegant and warm.On my skin the scent is a warm chypre that builds around a tender sweet rose that seems to mix beautifully with my chemistry, creating a earthy, woodsy yet soft and very gentle feminine veil. I would so much like to find Y in a eau de parfum, but I led to believe that it is not being manufactured any more. However, will continue to look. I was also curious if YSL is only selling Y under its spa collection series-and if it is the same fragrance.It would be horrible if they decided to discontinue it now that I have discovered it. They just can't seem to stop tampering with the greats. Y makes me realize that owning a vast array of fragrances that smell amazing is very nice but to focus on those to which I have an emotional connection is priceless.

akats
akats

This will be my next purchase and not a blind one.I fell in love with is at first sniff. Yes, smell of dried fruits and moss are so wonderfully combined. It is so smooth and elegant! I have tested edt and I imagine that edp would be divine. But it's so hard to find that concertration.

Jndena
Jndena

Beware to blind-buyers: I think the EDT version is really too weak to bother. The scent on my skin is no stronger than if I had washed with a perfumed soap. Forget discussing the notes- I can barely smell anything 10 minutes after spraying. Some may find that a positive, but for me, there is nowhere near the strength or intensity to get on board with the reviews below. Maybe many of the reviewers had an EDP? So sad for me- I really thought I would love this. :(

murasakisan
murasakisan

My tiny sample from TPC of this classic was supposed to conjure up my mom, as she was in the 60s: a young Foreign Service wife full of energy and excitement who was never going to stop being an American tomboy even as she grew in sophistication. Y was her signature scent, which she only wore when going out. She never wore perfume during the day, just as she never wore those gorgeous silk scarves in her drawer with her anorak. I know I'm no different than lots of daughters who found their mom's transformation into a gorgeous, sweet smelling, woman of mystery from a familiar playground pal nothing short of miraculous. So, why is this sample so disappointing? I can only assume that this sample, which is not labeled vintage, is not the original juice I remember sneakily putting on from my mom's treasured marble capped bottle inside it's white and gold presentation box. It must be the later reformulation. It's lovely, yes, and sweet, yes, and balanced, yes. And sophisticated, even. But familiar? No. It's not the same. One thing that hasn't changed: when I got older and began discovering my own fragrances I knew this one was my mom's and wasn't for me. It still isn't. And I think that's how it should be.

passionata20

In my previous comment about "Y" i described it as an unpleasant fragrance. So i have put my bottle up for sale. After that i decided to try it again. I don´t know if it was a reason that it soon be gone from me or just a change of weather, but now i actually quite like it. A lot. It is april outside, the sun is shining but it is still a bit cold, the spring is in the air and "Y" just fits perfectly this time of the year. Now i think i finally understand this fragrance. To me this is a perfect early spring time fragrance. Now it doesn´t turn into an unpleasant powder scent (well, it does actually, but now it is not that obvious) and is very pleasant green fragrance. I think i finally understand that though i don´t like chypres very much, i just haven´t tried them at the right time. I decided they work for me the best during spring time, when it is still a bit cold, and not that warm. (the only exception i guess is "Intrigue" by Carven, which i love to use during hot summer).
Well, i have learned my lesson now, and won´t be judging fragrances i don´t like that soon and give them time and try more. Luckily this fragrance is still available online so i can buy a new bottle and the vintage pure perfume i didn´t buy last time is still available (30ml bottle, yesssss) from my favorite seller, so i am buying this. I call it "destiny". :) Do not make the same mistake as i did the first time and do not overlook this classic. After all, vintage YSL are amazing, as much as i have experienced them.

modigliani
modigliani

an april sun is shining, a shy blush
like blossom, quickly bursting,
on the cheeks of some trees

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

i bought my EDP Y in Spain. In France we do not find any more EDP but EDT !!!!! GRRRR !!!!
It's strange but this fragrance is becoming a very powdery violet scent on my skin after a while.
It's not unpleasant me but it's strange because no one notice this point of view. Am i the only one ??

lemmenkukka

I agree with Migalex - this is totally sophisticated scent! Vivacious, comforting, stylish. I like it very much.

passionata20

What i was expecting based on reviews is a nice chypre fragrance. What i really get from my EDT is a very very sharp burst of oakmoss smell, really bitter and harsh, i was really scared away with the opening. Then i read all the reviews that say i should wait until it fades away. So i have waited. It became indeed more pleasant and at one moment i began to think that it is not that bad actually and i might to like it even. Green notes became more subtile and softer. THEN it quite quickly has changed into very powderly scent which i absolutly dislike. I do not understand how a chypre can turn into something that smells like a box of loose powder??!!! I was really upset and decided not to buy a pure perfume version of this fragrance since it will be a waste of money to me.
This is not a kind of chypre i like, i prefer "Madame Rochas" or "Scherrer 1" or "Magie Noire". "Y" is a perfume of extremes: harsh opening and powderly drydown. Too much for me in one fragrance :(
The lasting power is really great and sillage is also really great! But overall not my type of fragrance at all sadly.
My review is not for the very vintage formula, but the current formulation i guess (i don´t know if pre or post 2000, sorry)

Please do not remove this comment, since others might find it useful. Not every review should be positive, so people like me wanted to make a blind buy might find it very informative. Thanks.

Migalex
Migalex

Similar to chanel nº 19 in the first five minutes, but nº 19 diverts after that, while Y keeps the opening notes for much longer. Sillage and longevity are great and the perfume is the embodiement of sophistication. That is it.

Eos
Eos

Review of current formulation EDT:

Y opens with a sharp blast of aldehydes and indistinct green notes. Within a 20 minutes the harshness of the opening faded to a powdery hyacinth and a note that is somewhat reminiscent of peach skin. After several hours what remains is a vetiver, oakmoss and powdery aldehyde scent. Beautiful.

Sillage: Good, 4-7 feet
Longevity: Excellent, 14 hours on my skin!
Even reformulated, Y is a fantastic, understated and under-rated chypre. Well made if a touch "old-fashioned" feeling, probably from the prominent aldehyde notes. Highly wearable and suitable for many occasions, dressed up or dressed down, and appropriate for all ages.

ACH!!!

I'm so tired of the "grandma" and "old lady" references!!

What if we started referring to all the sweet fruity scents made in the last 10 years as "juvenile", "immature", "pre-pubescent" or maybe just "little girly"?

Scents definately belong to certain time periods, representing the current style and can smell "dated", no doubt about it.

But a good perfume is timeless and "Y" is exactly that...it starts as a slightly heavy oakmoss chypre (just like Cristalle actually) but brightens quickly to an enchanting green floral heart. It literally blooms on your skin, truly breathtaking in it's beauty.

You either like it or you don't, you'll either wear it or you won't.

Fine with me no matter (except don't buy the last bottle on the planet or I'll have to kill you) as I plan to add this one to my permanent/masterpiece collection right away.

And if your grandma smells like this, God Bless her, she has excellent taste!

cinsot
cinsot

There is no denying Y is a masterfully constructed chypre. I can't fault it. It wears beautifully.

I have a number of chypres in my collection, and several floral aldehydes. Y is familiar territory to my nose and it sits among the other great retro chypres I have acquired over the years.

Gosh, here comes the inevitable "however", Y is such a good classic chypre that it smells identical to some of the other good chypres I have. My nose lacks the capacity to distinguish any points of difference.

Not to diminish Y's credibility I would like to add I am delighted I finally have it in my collection.

jtd
jtd

It’s no wonder that people love this scent. It is beautiful from so many angles, and so deftly balanced. And, wonderfully, this balance doesn’t seem the result of consensus. This is not the middle of the road in a bottle. It contains the best of green florals and grassiness, a smart fruit choice, a confident dose of moss and just enough darkness in the basenotes to make it meld with your skin. It is a quality of many chypres to sink into the skin over time. This one becomes a skin scent, but one with sillage, almost instantly.

There is something so poised and charming about Y. It has confidence yet never seems to have to prove itself. There’s just that hint of a knowing smile. God, I wish I were Y. Interestingly, while other green scents suggest flowers, grasses, things you might find out-of-doors, Y is in fact outdoorsy. It has all the city sophistication of similar fragrances (Cristalle, Silences, No. 19) but seems perfectly at home in the woods.

Y was released in 1964, the year I was born and a year I’ve never quite made sense of. I remember what the later 60s were like on the east coast of the US where I lived at the time. Yet photos from 1964 look like the mid-50s to me. Y captures a bit of this for me. A few years earlier and Y might have been Jolie Madame, a few years later, Diorella. Sort of an interesting in-between time.

jasmasid
jasmasid

The best of all Yves Saint Laurent scents and definitely the most under-rated. Also, I believe, now discontinued. More's the pity.

linkypinky
linkypinky

50% Guy Laroche Fidji EDT + 50% Chanel No 19 EDT = YSL Y EDT

But to me Y is prettier than both: It is more gentle than No 19 and has more guts than Fidji.

missymary
missymary

Oh my! I have found my favourite chypre! This baby is better than Emeraude and Bandit and No 19 and O de Lancome. It's like inhaling the fragrance of fresh dewy moss and hyacinths. Usually I HATE aldehyde, but the powder here is as clean and sweet as the first new-mown grass of Spring. Y would be equally at home at a classy picnic or a high level Board meeting. Such a waft of underplayed herbal-talcy freshness with charismatic elegance! Ah! If you are a chypre-dipper, then you must try Y.

MizLiz
MizLiz

Here's another gem I might have overlooked if not for "Perfumes: The Guide": Y is a perfectly smooth, polished chypre. Luca Turin describes it as quintessentially French, as French as Les Parapluies de Cherbourg and Chablis wine, and I agree. Even after all of the reformulations, the oakmoss is quite prominent, along with the aldehydic opening. The fruity (plum?) and floral (hyacinth?) notes stand out, too, though they are more blended. This kind of aldehydic chypre is fast becoming one of my favorite kinds of perfume!

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

Too lovely to be believed. All the reviews I read made me think this was right up my alley, and it IS.

A classy (I hate that word) subdued beauty. She's an accountant who rides horses in her spare time.

Or she's a woman who runs a daycare out of her home.

Or she's an English professor.

Someone very competent and self-assured but never cocky. Someone accustomed to making her own way in the world and never looking back. Someone who lives very much in the present.

musicaficta
musicaficta

I'm not a fan of oakmoss. Civet? Phew! Aldehydes-- yuck!

Why-oh-why do I love Y so much?

I think it's because it reminds me of September. It is dry, yet green with a touch of yellow, such as the leaves outside. The peach and plum impart a glow reminiscent of the still-warm sun. It is not emotional, nor does it foreshadow the coming winter. The three above ingredients that I so often find offensive seem to combine together in a singular tour de force, supporting, rather than overwhelming, the shimmering yellow-green composition.

If Y were a gem it would be a peridot.

krmarich
krmarich

Although never commecially popular, Y has a cult status that cannot be matched. I have the original and the reformulation.

The original is just about the sexiest thing ever produced. It is like Mitsouko on steroids! The oakmoss swirls thoughout the entire composition. The fruit is not fresh-more like fine plum confiture and dried peach. It has a complexity that takes hours to develope. The floral heart is restrained and elegant. It has the fire of a brilliant diamond. The amber color promises many hours of olfactory fliting and delivers.

The reformulation is but a cheap zircon that pales in comparison...Seek out an original to experience a giant 20th century chypre masterwork.

The original is Julie Christie in Dr Zhivago.

Silhouette_
Silhouette_

This is one badass chypre, I pretty much see it as Miss Dior with balls. From a contemporary point of view, shaped by fragrances that are designed to smell "cute" on paper for the first ten minutes (in accordance with the shopping strategy of an average customer), Y is definitely every marketing department's nightmare. It's not cute, any which way you look at it, and it doesn't bring out all of its big guns until about two hours in. But I personally love to witness every single minute.

The beginning is aldehydic floral, naturally, but you can already detect some of the mossy base and that lovely civet stink (it even bares a certain resemblance to Bandit for me, which is a plus). Civet and oakmoss are also what dominates the next stage on me, together with a creamy rose note. The drydown brings out more of the dry sweetness of fruits, patchouli and resins.

Shame I only know the EdT which doesn't last that long on my skin.

YGreek
YGreek

What can I say about Y...after 42 years using it!...is my parfum...I used before and for many years Fidji until I found Y...I follow it around the world...is not easy to find...Is a great! flowers, green and wood all in one... nobody does it better than Y...Love at the first snif..."Too bad it's discontinued, but the new rules would make it impossible to recreate anyway,with all that oakmoss. The fruity opening is a great pleasure, aromatic but not really sweet, just fresh and energizing"...I´m very sorry that I can find nothing similar Buahhhhhhhh There is nothing like Y!!!

Louw
Louw

I'm not usually a fan of chypres, but I've always quite liked this one. I find it quite refreshing and green. I wouldn't want to wear it all the time, but it's nice for occasional use - although I'm sure it's probably something of an acquired taste. Haven't seen it for a while - has it been discontinued?

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This review is based on a sample generously sent to me by a forum member some time ago, so I don’t know the concentration. However, I suspect it is an EdT. At first I smell powdery violets, citrusy aldehydes, and something green and mossy. As Y dries down, it takes on a soft, gentle, understated floral chypre feeling, a bit like an old Patou scent with a pinch of pollen sprinkled over it like fairy dust.

It’s a well-behaved scent, easy to wear, pleasant and classically European in its general outline. It’s the sort of perfume I’d wear to a formal wedding so as to smell good to myself and others but not upstage the bride. It’s one of those abstract scents that’s simply meant to smell like a perfume, not a flower, place, experience, person, or anything else representational. It would make a good wardrobe staple for anyone who wants a conservative, subdued fragrance. The only down side is that the version I have doesn’t last very long, about 3-4 hours tops.

Queen_cupcake
Queen_cupcake

My all-time favorite chypre. Love it more than any other perfumes I've owned. It's a classic, green chypre that never fails to lift my mood. And now that Spring is here, I'll wear it often.

Bicewtry
Bicewtry

This perfume is very classic and wonderful! It's my favorite chypre.

Sherapop! Did you notice the DRIED fruits in there? It is one of the most special features of this perfume and although not mentoined in the notes here, one of my vintage books mentoined this. So you saying 'DRY' is exactly the thing! I love that!! DRIED FRUITS!

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

This is truely light scent. I thought this would be more "dark" or how to say hmm, hevier. Thinking so because I looked up them ingredients. I bought Y and Knowing at the same time. One is in my left wrist and one is in right. They are like day and night ;)))
Both are huge good. Maby Y is very pleasant at summer time when skin gets warm ;) I need to try it after few month.
Edit; Nah! This is better at winter in crispy cold snowy time.

Compared to YVRESSE, YSL Y seems very dry and austere. I'd call it a dried grass chypre rather than a fruity one. There is certainly a connection between the two compositions, but YVRESSE seems fuller, in addition to being fruitier, while Y seems clean and direct. Actually, I think that the naming of YVRESSE makes a lot of sense, in relation to Y: it contains more detectable, thicker notes, so the name has become thicker (longer) as well. I should say that I never really found YVRESSE very fruity (and it seems to me very un-champagnelike...), until I compared it side by side with Y!

Y reminds me a bit of a couple of the Balmain perfumes, inhabiting with them the same general neighborhood as CORIANDRE. On my skin, Y is less green than brown, and the aldehydes do evoke vague and distant memories of ARPEGE, as another reviewer points out, but ARPEGE develops and undulates, while Y seems more linear and univocal--notwithstanding the lengthy list of notes, which are obviously very finely blended! Y is nowhere near as green and wacky as MA GRIFFE.

Y is a conservative, classic creation, for women who appreciate aldehydic perfumes which are neither sweet nor very floral. I am happy to have been introduced to this perfume by fellow Fragrantican Action. They are both gems!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I received this as a gift about 25 years ago, before I developed my fascination with scents. I enjoyed wearing it, but did not repurchase. I had been thinking about it lately, and decided to try it again. I am very glad I did; it is a lovely green floral chypre, and the dry-down, on my skin, actually had a citrusy undertone which Chanel 19 (which it does remind me of) does not. It is VERY long-lasting; the spritz of 4pm was still gently sniffable the next morning!. The opening is indeed what I think of as very "French"; fizzy, green, floral with a wonderful chypre flavour. A great re-buy after all this time.

cloyd42
cloyd42

This juice seems to be the cure for winter. In the past 4 or 5 hours I've applied a significant amount of my miniature because I can't get enough of the scent. Y opens beautifully with rose and powder and peach. Aldehydes and other florals slowly come in and then the small meteorological miracle occurs. Normally in the cold dry air of winter these floral notes would collapse into either nothingness or a thin sad sweetness. In the case of Y, the resins and oakmoss begin to open with a strong plum note. There's just enough civet to give the perfume structure. You will then have several hours of pleasure from alternating sweet incense and lush florals. This is how I've always imagined the Spice Coast of India to smell.

When I first applied this I immediately thought of Arpege. I think Amic was too smart to try to reproduce it but definitely was paying tribute. I hope the kill rumor is just that since I've come to this so late.

Sillage: cocktails at the Plaza
Durability: very good though the top note is addictive
Price to value ratio: excellent

mediterranean
mediterranean

How can somebody describe love?
That moment when everything seems to fall into place?
That happened to me when I smelt Y for the first time, love at first snif. I couldn´t have enough of it. I was living in London back then and was visiting a friend. She had a big bottle of Y on a self in the bathroom and naughty me (and bad mannered I know) I sprayed it just to see what it was like, and that was it! After that, what can I say? 20 years together, with ups and downs but always close.

tschiepchen
tschiepchen

Thank you sooo much, lovely Action for this wonderful perfume gift!!!
Y - it is really a classic and does not smell like a perfume from the sixties.
I would have thought it was from the eighties and I can actually picture Alexis Colby wearing nothing but a fur coat and Y while trying to seduce Blake Carrington.
Y is for a strong woman, an alpha-woman, a self-confident woman, a sophisticated and classy woman.
A smart woman who knows where she is coming from, a smart woman who is a leader.
Y turns out to be smoky (no one mentioned that) AND a bit soapy at the same time on my skin, like clean and dirty but not crack whore dirty, it is more like Alexis Colby dirty!
And yes, I always liked Alexis better than Krystle!
And it is so well blended that I cannot single out any note.
Staying power and projection are really good.
A single drop lasted more than 8 hours and I could smell it on me without having to press my nose onto my wrist, my shoulders or the top I was wearing.
Y is not something I would reach for on a regular basis but it is a special occasion perfume.
I would definitely not wear it in hot weather as it would be too heavy for me but I am looking forward to wear it to the company parties (except from the summer party) and my friend's wedding next month.
I will wear it when it is getting a bit warmer, but still below 20 degrees, and when a good friend of mine and I will spend our time sitting in cafés in Hampstead, just watching the rich (and famous) people while we try to look like rich folks ourselves...

Here is another masterpiece that YSL is giving away alomst for free! I have both the vintage and the new one and both smell FANTASTIC!! I really love YSL making this kind of perfumes attainable for everybody (at least online that is..).

AND not unimportant, according to my vintage perfume books, this perfume is quite unique in the fact that it contains DRIED fruits. That gives the perfume and extra sensual dimension, like Quadrille does too, containing dried fruits.

Y may just be one of YSL's most underappreciated fragrances yet. Being overshadowed by all the glitz and glamour that YSL seems to represent today, this bottle is often lost among the sparkly Parisienne or the candy pink Baby Doll.

This fragrance is a classic, especially in the way that it doesn't have to be loud or ground-breaking to be so loved.

When I first smelt Y the word 'clean' came to mind. I wanted to say soapy and fresh, however Y isn't either of those things. It's clean in a very natural and simplistic sense of the word, like something that becomes you, rather than announcing to the world that it's a perfume.

It isn't heavy and it isn't offensive. Y is classy and sophisticated but also versatile enough to be casual and alluring.

It's green and woodsy with a somewhat powdery quality. It doesn't feel dated and I would not have guessed that this fragrance originated from the 1960's. Although not particularly outstanding, the scent itself is quite addictive. It was something that I had to smell over and over again just to embrace its beauty.

I must add that this fragrance isn't as dry as some chypres, it has a delicate moistness, possibly caused by the rich green notes and the earthy, wet patchouli note. The fragrance also tends to smell a little musty.

The aura of Y is incredible. It conjures up thoughts of cleanliness, fresh bouquets of flowers and soft, burning incense. Perhaps slightly 'churchey' and refined in its manner.

I could talk about this fragrance all day, as there are many levels to be experienced here. Y is one of those fragrances that leave a profoundly good impression despite its subtlety.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

A very classy perfume. When ever I wear this perfume, I am always complimented on how lovely I smell. It is the first perfume I have encountered that takes you on a journey with its individual notes. Beautiful honeysuckle, jasmine, soft fruits, rose, greens, the notes are endless. A beautiful perfume that gives you a feeling of sophistication.

Cubby
Cubby

I was given a bottle of Y recently from a generous lady I don't even know. First sniff from the bottle and I thought, oh no, I won't be able to wear this. I have a hard time with chypres (I think). But wow! This is beautiful. It is so clean, green, and to me, a much lighter, rounder version of Aromatics Elixir. I never get a headache when I wear Y. It is becoming a comfort scent for me.

vuelo
vuelo

I must admit- it's too sophisticated for me to wear. This fragrance is for women who dress flawless every day. And acts nice all the time.

guest_Shona from Australia
guest_Shona from Australia

I tinkered with fragrance when I was younger but at 18 I was given my first bottle of Y and we have become friends now for 38 years. When I am hugged by friends not seen for many years they say they remember my "smell" as much as me. Thank you Jean Amic for your wonderful nose. I will be buried with my beloved Y !! xx

guest_Anne
guest_Anne

Whenever I wear this perfume. I recieve many compliments. It is very french and classy. Can be worn day or night. A unique blend of green, citrus and flowers enrapture you. Every now and then I smell these beautiful notes and am always surprised that is me.

patriciaenola
patriciaenola

Well having read some of the reviews - it seems you love it or hate it - personally I love it - I am getting very hung up on this site - and on leaving my opinion I love to compare I think I may have to buy from the USA - despite the shipping costs - there's something wrong in the UK - in my Quartier any way - Left Bank of the Mersey River - I need a good place to purchase some class

guest_guest.
guest_guest.

Y is a masterpiece. I have never smelled an edt that is layerd with such beauty and blended so well. This is a classic. When I wear it, I feel utterly charmed by its beauty.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(Vintage EDP Review)

Finally a chance to test this classic scent!! No need to know hte notes here, as nothing stands out.

This opens sharp to me and develops along the lines of Chamade and Ma Griffe. I do agree that it is a very sophisticated and refined scent.

I know aldehydes were the 'thing' for quite a few decades, but I have a very hard time wearing this ingredient. It turns the fragrance into 'air' on me, and I respond hte same as when I move a pile of papers that have been resting on my desk for a year... a-CHOO!

A nice green chypre, though, and I do recommend the EDP version.

Flora55
Flora55

Wow, I finally got some of this and I love it! I was not expecting it to be quite so animalic in the base notes, but that's fine with me as I adore classic Chypres. Lots of nice "dirty" jasmine along with the tuberose and honeysuckle, and REAL oakmoss in the base too, this is a real classic. Too bad it's discontinued, but the new rules would make it impossible to recreate anyway,with all that oakmoss. The fruity opening is a great pleasure, aromatic but not really sweet, just fresh and energizing. A keeper!

golden
golden

A classic fragrance, which is fresh and complex at the same time.
The Oakmoss and Vitiver are very noticeable to my nose. Very pleasant, i like it.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Almost masculine to me, I cannot smell any flowers or fruits here; woody, powerful, beautiful opening, I don't like the drydown which is soapy on me. It smells a bit like old ladies, but in a sexy kind of way, as if the woman wearing it has a lot of experience and knows everything going on around her; Bohemian, I would give it a change with the right wardrobe; mysterious, strong, and creative, intellectual to the last drop, just lacks sexiness to me... great for showing who's got the power in a world dominated by men.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Y is a chypre that I am most familiar with, its composition has a classic structure.

Chypres like this almost always have a jarring beginning, usually with a bright, sharp, aldehydic and green opening.

As the topnotes fade, you discover the fruity nuances melding with its floral heart. The fruits used are not the the candied type so typical in modern fragrances of the new century. They are juicy, but not terribly sweet. They meld seamlessly into the slightly powdered floral heart with a pronounced rose complimented by tuberose and hyacinth.

It is rather soft, and it reminds me of Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, but done with more finesse and refinement. Aromatics Elixir is very bold, very redolent of roses and herbs, with a woody-grassy background. Y's base is more sensual, woody tones softened by musky civet and styrax.

For those who want to warm themselves up to a classic chypre should try Y.

messy-mom
messy-mom

I agree with PR, my husband walked into the room after I sprayed it and asked what the horrible smell was. Musty, dusty, and just plain awful.

renneyg007
renneyg007

I love this. Its not a scent I would wear because you need to be fairly sophisticated to carry it or it wears you. My mother wore it and I can still recall how strong, smooth and distinctive it smelled. Despite an array of ingredients, the scent is fairly solid and very well blended. Classic.

weegee
weegee

When gardenia, tuberose and jasmine are all together among the chypre ingredients I usually find the overall scent choking, althought I'm a big chypre fan otherwise. I've checked the ingredients of the fruity chypres, the floral chypres and the leather/aldyhylic chypres and those I dislike all contain all 3 (gardenia,tuberose & jasmine) but if it's just one or two of the 3 it's much more appealing to me. But this scent seems to mix the 3 in a way that's truly transformative.

Y is magic. Wear it and you will receive comments, not all of them positive, but wear it anyway - you can't please everyone all the time so you might as well please yourself!

esprit2fly
esprit2fly

Y, the luxury and the perfection together, a very elegant, timeless and sophisticated fragrance. A harmony between chypre, flowers and green notes. Like a green, fresh wind. A floral bouquet, very intensive. A structure riche, warm and woodly.

PR

I think ,Nuppu, there is part of a truth that it might be my chypre intolerance, and after you pointed it out, I scrolled down through the list of chypres. The part of them I smelled before, are alright, not among the favorites but alright, and how can it be that Coco Mademoiselle is chypre? total surprise and miss dior.. Perhaps the problem can be aldehydes, I don't know, because I find Rive Gauche YSL, Chanel N22,N5 quite similar, but with a less suffocative power, and they all are on the list of Floral Aldehydes, and YSL 'Y' has aldehyde among the ingredients

Nuppu
Nuppu

To Scent lover and PR, the problem might be just chypre genre, I also many times feel chypres suffocating and they make me cough, there's something thick and dizzying. And I do like heavy florals and strong oriental, but most chypres make me ill.

Y is beautiful, green chypre, but again, difficult to wear because of this sensitivines of many chypres.

To PR:

Probably our noses perceives the smells in very different way. In general I like strong, intense, complex scents and anything ligter may seem as light scent to me while for someone else it can be strong. I offered to try Paloma Picasso as I consider it as a strong chypre perfume and I was curious to know your opinion. To me Y is much much much lighter than Paloma Picasso.
Y is very well balanced chypre. A bit of green and citrusy notes and beautifully done wood. I think it is more intense than lets say Madam Rochas by Rochas but weaker than Paloma Picasso.

PR

to Scent lover: No, I haven't tried Paloma Picasso, but it is realy strange you name it as light, perhaps I should try to smell it again..though I am not very willing

To PR:
In opposite I feel it as quite light chypre perfume which is very well balanced too. Have you tried Paloma Picasso? I think thats the strong chypre.

PR

if it is possible to choke on the smell this is the one. Something suffocating and not too pleasant to my nose.. was coughing after smelling this for couple of minutes.'Stink bomb' came to my mind

Y by Yves Saint Laurent 4.07 out of 5 based on 416 ratings and 84 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Y fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Y, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Y by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Y by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.