Designers » T-Z » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men

Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men
dislike

herbal

Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme was launched in 1971. Top notes are lavender, lemon verbena, petitgrain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are rosemary, carnation, clary sage, brazilian rosewood, geranium and marjoram; base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vetiver and cedar.

Lavender Lemon Verbena Petitgrain Bergamot Lemon

Lemon

Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

YSL Pour Homme opens with a citrus, slightly milky accord, dense and subtly musky, with a juicy dark note of carnation and smoky woody notes (vetiver, sandalwood, perhaps even a hint of tobacco), well softened and made more "gentle" by a heavy dose of lavender and herbal notes. A relaxing, friendly, elegant scent with the right dose of "masculinity" (mostly represented by a light chypre base accord), easy-going and refined – a sophisticated weekend scent, without the formal "austerity" of an "office-scent" and without the naughty boldness of a "night club-scent". A brighter and lighter version of a classic fougère, more herbal-citrus, still a bit musky. To be honest, though, nothing more than a good scent (in other words, in my opinion, not that memorable).

6,5-7/10

jyan727
jyan727

I have come to the conclusion that I absolutely love older fragrances with a strong lemon note and YSL's Pour Homme has become one of my favorite from that sort of category.
I now have two bottles of the vintage fragrance one is a regular atomizer that works through the pump action, but I have an even older one that utilizes a gas propellant form of atomizer.
Sadly, the gas propellant one is a bit too old and was possibly not taken as good a care of because quite a few of the notes are a tad dull now.
Which is why I have the second vintage. It is simply beautiful! A superb burst of lemon (which isn't for everyone) that is rich and bright. And the dry down is simply gorgeous.
This fragrance has a manliness to it that is in my opinion timeless but to some dated.

sophisticated

spcmiller
spcmiller

This was my Father's signature scent and the one that introduced me to the magical world of cologne! Every year on his birthday and only on his birthday I wear this to commemorate him. :-D

pedrozanforlin

This fragrance tha is one of the most starts cheers and one of the most that makes me feel good.

brandonR
brandonR

If you look carefully near the beginning of the film, you can see this fragrance (with matching aftershave) sitting on the top and lower shelves of Patrick Bateman's medicine cabinet during his morning ritual/grooming scene from American Psycho.

He must have liked this fragrance because it's the only one that I saw sitting there surrounded by other facial care products. At least the man has good taste in smell, ignoring the fact that he keeps his victim's decapitated heads in the refrigerator. ("Hip To Be Square" plays in the background) Hey Paul!!!!

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

YSL PH was the 1st fragrance I purchased in 1977.
I Picked up a a new bottle 2 years ago and use it often. The top notes are citrusy and
sharp . I can see how the initial citrus blast turns some off. But the dry down is perfect for me. Longevity is 6 hrs with medium projection . I'm glad to have it and do get compliments from women over the age 45 , and that's good! Give it a try if you enjoy classics.

Second review:

I finally got around to buying a proper bottle of YSL Pour Homme - it's certainly not as old as the other bottle I have, but oakmoss is listed in the ingredients, and it definitely smells awesome.

I can't say much that's different from my previous assessment, other than this newer bottle definitely hasn't been damaged one bit; all the notes are there in full force, with the citrus/verbena/petitgrain accord so strong and in-your-face that it almost burns my nostrils! The opening continues for at least a good half hour on my skin before progressing seamlessly to a more subdued, herbal middle, finally landing on a very Guerlain-esque lavender/oakmoss accord, buoyed by the slightest animalic note. This may be a newer bottle, but does it ever pack a punch and not give a rat's ass about any IFRA restrictions!

What I enjoy the most about this fragrance is the talent and ingenuity that obviously went into making it - YSL Pour Homme starts as an almost piercing citrus/herbal chypre, but eventually dries down into a subtle yet indistinguishably old-fashioned animalic fougere. For a fragrance to cross those two genres of perfumery almost seamlessly as it dries down is a testament to the artistry and appreciation of detail that went into classical perfumery.

...which is where I'll make my closing statement: this is definitely not a fragrance for everyone. It's quite loud, smells a bit older, can be abrasive, and probably should be worn sparingly. However, you can put me with those who love it, because I don't care about any of those things - it's one of the best classic masculine fragrances, period. Easily in my top ten vintage masculines and surely worth trying for any classic fragrance lover who hasn't gotten around to it yet. I'm almost kicking myself for waiting so long to try this stuff!

vonMises

I am fifty years old, and this is one of my signature fragrances. I love it. All you who hate it: get off my lawn.

orestes
orestes

a bottle changed,also i think reformulated,or not?

Cassiano
Cassiano

When you think about a cologne with good quality and worldwide recognition, some brands always stand out, as Givenchy, Guerlain, Dior and YSL!
In this case, we're talking about a cologne that was released in 1971. That's exactly what you read: early 70’s, which means, a classic of the perfumery.

This is a citrus and woody fragrance, extremely powerful, with notes of lavender, lemon verbena, bergamot and petitgrain in the output; Marjoram, rosemary, sage, geranium, carnation and rosewood in the heart and, finally, at the base, sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, patchouli, tonka bean and musk.

The only problem for many people is the audience of this fragrance. It refers to the smell of the classics of that time and, therefore, many young men wouldn't wear this cologne nowadays. When I think of YSL Pour Homme, soon comes to my mind the image of a man with his 50 years of age, in a prominent position of any company, wearing a well-cut suit and into his chauffeur-driven car.

In the same style, we can find some similar fragrances like Boucheron and Eau Sauvage. Regarding to its projection and lasting, be careful, for it is beyond any expectations.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I got a vintage bottle of this (marked cologne - made in the US) at a yard sale. It goes on smelling like Lemon Pledge, strident and nasty. My wife thinks it smells like Scrubbing Bubbles. The basenotes are mainly okay, but there are some clunkers in there.

In preparation for a day's wearing I put some on my wrist. No - I do not think I can endure this on myself all day.

It has a skunky, sour off-note that reminds me of Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne (YUCK) or a sweaty old man. I rarely use this term because I like most old scents, but this stuff smells dated.

"Swept floor": Hahaha! Yes, it smells like that as well.

I'm glad I only paid 75 cents for the bottle!

UPDATE: I gave it away.

AZJeff
AZJeff

I don't know what this cologne does with everyone else's skin or body chemistry. This stuff doesn't agree with mine.! I just got a sample of this to try with other colognes of the 70's and 80's. This stuff not only smells bad on me,but stinks.! It's a citrus type of cologne. I smell the citrus then I smell something else from the notes that remind me of urine or something out of the toilet.Pew! I want to warn people of this cologne,but not completely discourage people from at least trying it. Hey,maybe it may agree with you,and you may like it and may even be your signature one. For me,most colognes don't smell too awful,even after the dry down. I may not like a lot of the colognes even though they may not stink,but this one does.

Vintage "cologne spray":

My friend Matt found a vintage 2oz spray bottle at Goodwill of this fragrance, and what an anomaly it is! I feel like the top notes got a bit burnt off with time; hence me not really getting any citrus out of it, but everything else is marvelous - a slightly dusty petitgrain, paired with a strident lavender, a powdery rosewood note, a dab of oakmoss, and finally just a hint of animalism (civet?) in the base. It's a very nice dry, herbal chypre/fougere hybrid with elements of Chanel Pour Monsieur and Loewe Pour Homme in it. I haven't smelled the current stuff, so I can't comment on that, but when I do I'll revise my review.

vonMises

Purely natural and as fragrant as a nature hike. This is the perfect fragrance to me. It feels not only consummately comfortable, but strong and confident. It transforms subtly as it developes, and is always immensely enjoyable. The citrus aspects are always present, which seems miraculous. Woody and musky notes really stay far in the background. Longevity about 10 hours for me.

missan

I´m thinking my journey in the cologne world may be going from a very few to owning quite many, and then going back to very few. But not the same few that I started out from, most likely.
Anyhoo, this will be among the very few, along with Monsieur Rochas and Monsieur de Givenchy.

eldesierto
eldesierto

I used to love that perfume, but quite recently I was offered a bottle of the new Ysl pour homme, this new formulation dissapointed me. The new bottle will last for ever on the shelf...

Roge'
Roge'

Lemon Pledge Furniture spray. A violent lemon at that.......

Endymion
Endymion

I was lucky to recently purchase a vintage tester of this fragrance!!! ;)
The back of the bottle says:

Parfum boisé et épicé
Notes dominantes Vétiver, Citron, Santal, Patchouli, Mousse de chéne, Romarin, Noix de muscade

So, it still contains decent amount of oakmoss(!) and nutmeg, which is not even listed here.

hadrian
hadrian

You will need time to fully appreciate this masterpiece. You will neeed time - or shall I say "age"? - in order to completely understand his majestic simplicity.
Is YSL PH dated? Of course, it is. Despite the reformulation, it is NOT a modern frag. But it is that kind of perfume easely recognizable by any real man - the scent of the cleanness, the aroma of a vibrant and also pacefull & self-confident virility.
I recommend YSL PH for the day and the same in "haute concentration" for evening & night (I have both of them in current formulation - both are very good).
Three shots, two times per day, will teleport you in a space where the scent of a man is an unambigous proof of his masculinity. Nine of ten women will welcome you with a genuine and promising "ummmmmm".
A deserved 9+/10

oxm
oxm

I recently discovered this wonder, I find myself in front of a masterpiece such as those that were realized in the old craft shops, made with passion and skill, the opening is very fresh and citrusy, a cool almost wild that gently dissolves in a hint more humid but at the same time bitter. the bottom robustly woody and amber bring this fragrance among the classics in spite of any meridian shines high in the sky this fragrance a decidedly masculine and bold.
How nice it would be if the new scents would take cue (without copying of course)
from these pearls of the past.
For all seasons (preferably those hot)
in my humble opinion is important occasions, but when used it is difficult to part with it.

grasslands
grasslands

Being female but loving citrus/herb/wood accords I’ve been skulking around masculine fragrances lately. I found a bottle of YSL Pour Homme (the one with the reddish plastic cap) at a discount chemist this week. It was marked down to $50 for 100mls. I had never heard of it before and there were no testers available. But I noticed on the ingredients list there was oakmoss present. I figured it was the pre-oakmoss-restriction version and I snapped it up – being a sucker for the dying oakmoss - chypre genre.

YSL Pour Homme is a real Jekyll and Hyde of a fragrance. It starts off with a nice clean lemon shot but then gets disturbingly skanky. When I checked the notes (on another site) it mentioned thyme and all of a sudden it made sense. It has the dark skanky side of pungent herbs such as thyme, oregano and sage. Then the worst of the skankiness subsides and it becomes a dry herbal scent. Later, maybe thirty minutes into it, the fragrance does a 180° turn and becomes very clean smelling, like a fresh lemon, lavender and vetiver soap. The drydown is the best part of this fragrance - fresh and dry, sweet, warm and woody. Definitely on the femme side of unisex for me. It‘s surprising that something so dirty smelling ends up so clean.

I’m very tempted to go back and buy another bottle of this strange little twister.

PS Some reviewers have compared this to Eau Sauvage. Well I’ve got the most current version of ES and to me it’s all crisp citrus and sharp herbals with nothing of the beautiful drydown of YSL PH.

djwilson99
djwilson99

Im daring to wear any cologne but this one i wonder how come YSL came out with this epic fail when they have some masterpiece in their arsenal I regret I bought this one gotta get rid of it

rsthlm
rsthlm

Simply one of the best and long lasting scents I can have on my skin. Feels very luxurious and classy. Not for the younger generation...

Mario25
Mario25

Patrick Bateman's perfume.

Mr. G
Mr. G

Dear Mr. Badger, I believe Krmarich hit the nail on the head in identifying oakmoss as the missing ingredient from the current formulation of YSL PH. It's absence results in a sharper, soapier presentation than the original, elsewhere described as higher pitched. Not so for the Haute Concentree. This version comes closest to our old favorite, both warmer and a bit darker. For me, the Haute Concentree has a refinement that makes it the better choice for formal occasions. Both YSL PH and YSL PH Haute Concentree are citrus powerhouses, and having both allows one to match their fragrance to the occasion. Cheers!

mr badger
mr badger

My first purchase, aged 18.

I still love it and am glad that I 'laid down' a substantial amount before it was withdrawn.

Sadly the new version doesn't hold a patch to this, the original.

MaxHeadroom
MaxHeadroom

Mature and serious Citrus that lasts and lasts, has oldfashion vibe, summertime Kouros perhaps(ish), but sureley a true master piece. [1971] ***** VM

ericrico
ericrico

This is a classic, timeless scent from the early 70's that does a wonderful and truly brilliant job blending the traditional citrus, herbal and woody components of the dirty/aromatic "citrus" genre that make it such an amazing fragrance - and stand out from all the rest! My friend, krmarich, points out what it is that is missing from the current formulations - Oakmoss. What a wonderful review, as well! The most current bottle I have is still very good (from 2007...prior to YSL being sold) and opens with a whole lemon - the fresh-squeezed juice and the bitter rind with bergamot and petit grain (this is, after all, a masculine citrus-dominant scent) put into a blender with fresh chopped lavender, herbs (mainly lemon verbena and rosemary with a hint of marjoram - the scent pyramid is correct). This is classic in structure - therefore, a bit restrained, but so classique! So, although it is slightly austere in the opening (not a bad thing for a citrus), the brilliant heart is where this comes into form as it transcends the fragrance into a truly aromatic woody fragrance.

The rosewood smooths this composition and offers warmth, along with more light florals (including both a nice carnation and geranium) as well as the important clary sage note, which brings eloquent harmony between the citrus, sharper herbs and florals. The base is predominantly vetiver and musk - although there are nice notes of sandalwood and cedar that one gets after about an hour into the wear. A touch of patchouli offers a nice earthiness and there is still the light touch of green moss (rich Oakmoss in Vintage formulation). This is a classic, French-styled aromatic woody citrus that delivers depth, power and longevity...dare I say the most in the genre (that is not Haute Concentration). More complex than Monsieur de Givenchy (but not necessarily better) and closer in depth of composition to Armani Eau Pour Homme and Chanel Pour Monsieur - YSL's Pour Homme offering is a refined, gentleman's scent with a nice entourage of complimentary notes. A classic among classics. For the gentleman...wearing this will always make you feel invigorated, masculine and more refined. Timeless.

I will not buy any bottle of juice made by YSL past 2008 (when Yves Saint Laurent passed away and the house was sold to L'Oreal). Reformulations to virtually all the fragrances occured soon thereafter - and I am truly appalled with what has been done to the house that was orchestrated by a genius in Yves Saint Laurent. However, his brilliant, genius body of work will live on forever, in older bottles for us to enjoy while we are here...may he R.I.P.

Going back to the review of formulation prior to current, I concur with Shamus1's review as well - this scent is possibly for those who find French-styled fragrance to their liking - except that I, personally, find something here that is (while not "hip") definitely for the retro-crowd as well. A fragrance-lover's delight (and Patrick Bateman's fragrance in his medicine cabinet as he does his morning ritual) - this beauty embodies old-school masculinity. Subtleties, nuances, and aromatic touches that lend to a wonderfully fresh and long-lasting and mature scent...9+/10! Bravo! Cheers!

MrMookie
MrMookie

Are you into vintage classic gentleman like scents like chanel pour monsieur monsieur balmain and armani original then you will love this.
- its certainly not tacky, wild, uncommon, strange, arty or a daring scent
Its more a :
- Fresh, classy, gentleman-ly, conservative, safe, wise scent

Opens heavy in lemons and dry herbals and settles into a gentleman kind a way but it gets in his drydown a bit bitter.
My girlfriend was not in love of this on me. and she stated :
I think it smells better on you when you are in your 60's but not now!
I must admit that i understand her opinion
because i feel a bit more serious and wiser wearing this, like if im in a naughty mood and this potion keeps you more reserved.
No scent for clubbing.

missan

I have both this and the concentrate version. I love both, but I think this is just a little more 'pour monsieur' meaning more how I like it to be. If you like a 'manly' cologne this is one of the best IMO. 10/10

MonarC
MonarC

FOREST, MINT AND LEMON. Very dry.

shoden
shoden

Anyone compared the old one and the new reformulation from 2011 ? Is it the same ? Because I was really thrilled by this fragrance when I heard of it, but for me the new one smells horrible, like an old diaper/retirement home kind of smell after a moment, this was a big disapointment.

Am I the only one ?

A very traditional aromatic fragrance that to the usual tart green-citrus opening pairs a beautiful carnation/sage accord in the heart supported by green herbs galore (thyme, rosemary, marjoram) and lavender. The overall effect is incredibly nostalgic, sort of bitter-aromatic and green with the unmistakeable slightly dirty vibe that's typical of many fragrances of the same period. The base is mainly woody vetiver with just a tad of patchouli.

Something to check out if you're into old-fashioned early seventies aromatic masculines. Possibly the most powerful in its genre. Just great!

calyx93
calyx93

A very nice and "sturdy" traditional men's fragrance. Has a lovely opening with a huge burst of citrus, lavender and herbs, and this phase, especially the citrus, lasts for quite some time. This reminds me very much of the way Monsieur Balmain behaves. The drydown is very similar to Eau Sauvage, but with more weight and longevity - maybe a bit more musky too. Very nice.

Perfect for the office, a nice dinner, meetings and any occasion that requires a confident and sober fragrance - no frills or novelty.

krmarich
krmarich

This was the ultimate mens 007 tres chic, shaken not stirred perfect cocktail mood setter!!! Its was YSL first launch for men. I fell for it hook line and sinker. The bright lemony opening gives way to vetiver and more vetiver. Its so bright and bold, that I will never forget that first splash. Commercially, it was the first real hit for men in the USA from France. Everthing before just flirted with the concept of universal appeal. Subtle opulence lets you blend in unnoticed.

It was my first designer purchase. My parents encouraged it! It was my line in the sand. Everything else to follow was measured by the genius of YSL!

I picked up a reformulated bottle in 2006. Yes, it was lemony and full of vetiver. Something was missing..oakmoss. The very heart of the composition that allowed it to run the distance!!!

HSs320
HSs320

Besides Eau de Rochas pour homme this is one of the best summer fragrances for men

MarFreire
MarFreire

I read a lot about the similarity of the YSL PH with EAU Savage and I can say now, after buying YSL, that for my nose they are identical, twin brothers.
For me, YSL is better because it lasts the day
integer.

shamus1
shamus1

Very classic, very dry and very French. If you're into classics like Monsieur de Givenchy, Ho Hang or Equipage, then you will probably love YSL Pour Homme.

It's a citrus fougere with a lot of lavender that, incredibly, somehow sustains its smell for hours. There's a very dry, herbal smell to YSL PH as well that gives this scent a kind of dirty, skanky smell. I love this part of it because it gives the scent complexity and a masculine edge.

Though this is a light scent (due to its dryness), it projects well and lasts a good 6 or 7 hours. The lavender and citrus give it a Mediterranean style that I really love.

There is nothing hip at all about YSL Pour Homme. This is truly classic and purely masculine all the way. It is a must-own scent for all fans of 60s and 70s old-school colognes.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

an.jorePipip

Finally I have this fragrance, it is classy and firm! I do like wearing for everyday base. Even though some of my friends commented that smells like old school, but this perfume gives me comfort and fresh at the same time. This is a gem, very recommended!

Minimephisto
Minimephisto

Citrus in the beginning. Very strong and substantial wave of wood in the middle. It is a powerful focusing tool for every time office use.

an.jorePipip

I sprayed this fragrance on my wrist, at first citrusy notes open very sharp but enjoyable. Then mysterious note, which I could not define what particular note stays. I don't know what it is, but in my impression it smells like what in Indonesia we called "Bedak Dingin" hehehehe...kinda vintage, but somehow I like it! Don't think perfume for everyone, but it is unique and pleasant! Surely to be added into my collection, soon :)

hay81hay
hay81hay

i listened to viewer advice and bought concentrate ver. , and i didn't regret it. maybe young people don't like it.

its begin with sharp citrus and woody with hint of floral , after while citrus went down a little bit and become more acceptable
its super classic , and complex

longevity and sillage are V. good
i like it, ysl rock in men cologne

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

very nice classic,scent, but just for mature guys in their 50s,not for young men.........

Finisterle
Finisterle

The Regular and the Concentrated are two different creatures.

I have never understood the regular to be quite frank.

But I really dig the concentrated which opens with a torrent of ripe lemon, only to exchange this vulgarity into a coruscating elegance in a drydown that lasts for hours and hours. It's not dissimilar to Versace L'Homme, but it goes qualitative faster and better.

josephperfume
josephperfume

very nice and clean scent. very classic brings back a lot of 1980 memories.very lemony. good to wear after a work out at the gym.

slave for scents
slave for scents

9 0ut 0f 10! Classic, just-out-of-the-shower scent invigorates every time i spray it on! I'd place it as an office scent, not one you'd wear with your motorcycle jacket- that one, you'd use Kouros!!

BIG
BIG

initially you get a blast of citrus, but afterwards the whole thing dries down to a clean scent, but there's this bitter stinky note in the background. maybe it's the herbs or i don't know what - it's bugging me all the time

missan

This is a fantastic scent. I have the Concentrate version and it´s definitely one of the best ever made IMO. So well composed it makes one smile wearing it.
The soapy drydown is just the way I like it. This one and the old Carven Vetiver are two of my favourites.

RobbieX!, have You compared the old with the concentree?

RobbieX
RobbieX

An absolute classic, it really is - one of my top 10 of all time - mellow, fresh, soapy, clean - hope YSL never stop this.

instantjim
instantjim

This is a masterpiece. The start is sharpish and quite definitely lemony and herbal. To me the lavender is hard to separate amongst the other wonderful crisp notes, especially the rosemary.

After it has settled on my skin, the patchouli and vetiver become more prominent and it is the balance of these two notes that make this so enjoyable for me. I have many fragrances where patchouli dominates, in this fragrance however, it is made to share the limelight with vetiver and the other herbs.

The richness of the overall effect of the combination of notes makes it hard for me to identify the woods, however, they are in there somewhere contributing to give an olfactive offering which is stunning.

It is bold without being brash (like say, Quorum by Antonio Puig). I could see myself wearing this all year round, despite its potency. Other strong fragrances I have (mainly the incensy ones and Kouros in particular) have been retired for the Australian summer, due to the widespread carnage they might create when mixed with 37 degree Celcius heat. On the other hand, YSL PH has a cleanness and a greenness, which I think would make this acceptable for hot weather.

Aristo
Aristo

Haute concentration chic .....
classic, bright, individual (!)
petigreyn and perhaps thyme - create bitter plume.
- Wind pine groves, fields of lavender and the smell of the sea ...
immerse yourself in a fragrance ... aura ...
(romantic ... it is not modern)

desmondorama
desmondorama

I have been associated with this iconic fragrance since 1977, in my Disco days and even until now!

Back then, fashion androgyny ruled, so I had the EDT (it was bottled more stylishly and differently by the famous architect/designer, Pierre Dinand), parfum in a mini-manbag-refillable-spray (a beautiful deep red, silver and black -trimmed atomiser), soap, shampooing, after-shave balm; and anything else that was branded YSL.

Even my younger sister wore this scent then almost exclusively because she favoured more masculine-oriented perfumes, although she frequently wore Rive Gauche and Paris by YSL as well.

Yves Saint Laurent was the darling celebrity of the haute fashion and jet-set world; he was King! The fragrance was launched with a nude YSL sporting lion-mane hair, a full beard and moustache and his signature heavy-framed spectacles; very late-70's chic!

In those days, there weren't many notable male fragrances by fashion designers available, other than Paco Rabanne pour homme, Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior and Aramis to name only a few of the prestige and popular ones on the market which are still popular among their loyal, mature fans!

Even though I love this iconic and beautifully masculine fragrance because of what it represents to me of my nostalgia and, I can only say that in honesty, the fragrance either suits the wearer or not. There are no in-betweens.

I'm fortunate that it has always suited my skin and I have received many compliments wearing it; but I have smelt it on heavier-set men who tend to perspire a lot in the heat and on them, it is nothing short of nauseating! I think the chemical clash of perspiration and some of the ingredients in the composition may react negatively.

It's no different to any other popular, sweet, stronger, classic scents like KOUROS/Body KOUROS by YSL, Le Male/Fleur du Male by JPG and JOOP! pour homme, etc in the heat and dripping perspiration. They're better in cooler weather and are less animalic.

Don't be put off by the unusual reviews already posted - try it lavishly on your skin and then decide if you're a YSL/PH man/woman or not.

Reviewers have mentioned that this fragrance is versatile enough for jeanswear, casual, office and boardroom wear as well as formal occasions - they're absolutely correct!

The uniqueness of classic fragrances of the past is that they were built on less-advanced and more traditional methods and ingredients of perfumery; so that's why older fragrances tend not to have a youth-oriented market following. They have been brought up on the sharp and synthetic appeal of CK One by Calvin Klein - what else would the benchmark be?

The EDT and EDP (concentrate) are both fine to use depending on the occasion, and again, as others have mentioned, it does suit a wearer with a more 'classic' image and tastes; but definitely not for the younger wearer!

Andy Capobianco
Andy Capobianco

hmpf it's not my kind of fragrance. After 30 mins to an hour the nice citrus herbal woody opening has gone and after that the middle notes aren't really to my taste. It really does smell kinda like an old kitchen pantry just like someone said below. I really wanted to like this but I didn't. I just get too much of the Kitchen pantry feel to it to be honest. It isn't an awful smell, and at night time, colder weather, I like it more. and sometimes it makes a nice change. but in general I don't feel great wearing it as fragrance. I appreciate it, but I don't think most other people will

iMaverick
iMaverick

This is a very classic eau de cologne type of fragrance. Lemony, herbal and woody at the same time. It is high pitched and sharp in the beginning, and warms up to warm, rounded woody notes at the base. Casual enough with jeans, and formal enough for the most serious business meetings and black tie galas. The Haute Concentree version is exactly that--very concentrated! The topnotes, even at one spray is very sharp, giving off an almost animalic nature about it. It does taper off as the fragrance dries down, once the herbaceous notes, and the geranium and verbena recedes its might and force, but for a good while one might not appreciate it too much if they do not prefer sharp animalic-like notes. If sprayed correctly, the Haute Concentree version exudes a better impression of the base notes which is a show stopper along with the remnants of notes that earlier steal the show.

I think the Eau de Toilette version is the best, giving enough balance between its freshness and warmth and the animalic muskiness is toned down and its sharp herbaceous topnotes are well in check.

Both versions can be had for a steal online, probably due to the overly classic nature due to its smell, but I tend to think this is what perfumery is all about and undoubtedly has its own personality--it makes it darn memorable. New creations lack the sensuality akin to ones own smell which make them awfully forgettable. Give this a try for an instant burst of refinement.

ticalau
ticalau

smell to green...just like a forest of pines or fir! :| From the top notes to the base notes smell green and nothing else... just like an auto air freshners fir :)))) Not to mention that doesn't last to much! I am really disappointed...

Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent 4.04 out of 5 based on 248 ratings and 56 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Yves Saint Laurent Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Yves Saint Laurent Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.