Designers » A » Woody Spicy « Groups

Honour Man Amouage for men
dislike

smoky
Honour Man Amouage for men Pictures Honour Man Amouage for men Pictures

Amouage presents a new fragrant pair in 2011 - Honour Woman and Honour Man. These perfumes are dedicated to the tragic story of Madame Butterfly, the geisha Cio-Cio-San who married an American and waited for his return for three years. More specifically, the inspiration for the new creations was drawn from the last act of the eponymous opera in which Madame commits suicide.

Honour Man is a spicy - woody fragrance of classical compositions. The male version symbolizes the son of Madame Butterfly. Perfumer Nathalie Feisthauer composed it out of spicy notes of red and black pepper at the top. The heart of geranium, elemi and nutmeg is placed on the intensive woody base of patchouli, cedar, vetiver, frankincense, musk and tonka bean.

Available as 50 and 100 ml EDP.

Pink Pepper Pepper

Geranium elemi Nutmeg

Vetiver Musk Patchouli Virginia Cedar Incense Tonka Bean

Bvlgari Man

Honour Man Fragrance Reviews

Jewelpaq
Jewelpaq

Great fragrance & it's the 10th Amouage in my collection now. My favorites being "Opus VI" Interlude Man & Epic Man. I love Honour Man along with all my other Amouage collection.
This is a very fresh, little peppery, ashy, soapy smell with little incense. I will use this a lot. In my opinion, it is very versatile and great for all seasons.
Thanks Amouage.

INJEN
INJEN

Another winner for the house of AMOUAGE!, That initial blast of Elemi: then followed by the incense dry down, Cant detect the patchouli ; But there is a dry woodsy scent all the way to the end, 4 sprays on the skin last an estimated 13 Hours strong , A few days on clothing, Love this stuff ,
I have to admit ; There is not a fragrance that was created by the house of AMOUAGE that I do not enjoy.
Scent 10/10
Silage 10/10
Long lasting 10/10
Thanks,

1968voronkov
1968voronkov

Love it finally ;)
It took some time to realize how good it smells ... soft, peppery, intimate - unlike many others.
And if you forgot to put your t-shirt into washing machine - this perfume will remind you 'bout it even after 48 hours )

McDonalds it's happiness
McDonalds it's happiness

The most ''fresh'' Amouage fragrance that I have ever smelled. Amouage and cool it's almost an antonym. Then, the majority of the fragrances of this house are multilayered and heavy an oriental form. Honour Man it's aromatic, crisp and tangy. Then, suitable for spring and summer and versatile.

If you like Allure Homme Edition Blanche, you will like Honour Man. For me are enough similars since both share a creamy citrus point.

Packaging: 6/10
Quality: 10/10
Uniqueness: 6/10
Sillage: 8/10
Versatility: 7/10

Overall: 7.57

shehrozmalik
shehrozmalik

one of my favourite amouage! the opening is a bit too pepperish but the dry down is just so awesome! fresh soapy woody aromatic scent, performance is also really good

overall 8.5/10

Buckeye
Buckeye

"Super Dry"

Quality, silage, projection and longevity of Honour is what we come to expect from the house of Amouage. However, Honour doesn't have the wow factor of other Amouage products.

It is extremely spicy and peppery, which are my favorite scents. However, it lacks freshness. I feel the moisture in my nose dries out every time I smell it.

Honour will NOT be the 11th Amouage in my collection.

matty64
matty64

Don't write off Amouage completely until you've at least tried a sample of Interlude Man or Opus V. They're both extraordinary creations that can take you on a olfactory journey to the Middle East. I have full bottles of both and I'm just waiting for the weather to turn a little cooler. I made the mistake of trying to wear Opus V in the summertime here in Florida to a Depeche Mode concert. I felt like Dave Gahan looked sweating his butt off up on stage! Oh my, good times. Not!!!

TobiasRo
TobiasRo

Terre d'Hermes minus the citruses

gelo999
gelo999

Honour surprised me several times due to its characteristics and during the development of the following:

At first it smelled because the notes that compose it expected a woodsy spicy with oriental nuances and nothing to do.

The opening of fresh spices consider it almost an aromatic fragrance with a prominent note of rose geranium that I loved, but a few passing minutes of illusion to total disappointment and I mean, that pretty and natural note rose geranium is transformed on another note of very flat geranium, say wild, very gaudy and even seem "synthetic" uncharacteristically Amouage, so I'll assume it was the effect of incense which gives smoky notes, spices and balsamic notes, we a fair disaster through the development of the fragrance.

In addition, the aroma at this stage, leaves the masculine side to almost feminine floral unconvincing to look even a unisex.

Drying returns to improve something, but not much, it becomes more creamy and sweet (like peaches in syrup) by the effect of vetiver, balsam, musk and patchouli, but without ever being an excellent drying.

With Honour, much to my regret is a "no".

Rating: 4

MickZ
MickZ

Honour is the lightest of the "Men" series, a softer and more subtle fragrance than you would expect from the Amouage house. The pepper can be polarizing. The entire package of toned-down ingredients, including the cedar, patchouli and musk combined with an earthy, vegetal, damp hay or hemp accord strikes me as somewhat similar to Black Afgano. The big difference from BA is that Honour is not as dark, with subtle florals and spices that add a touch of freshness.

I, too, find Honour Man underrated. I think it is safe but not mainstream. Two downsides: longevity and projection are below average. Also -- and this has nothing to do with the scent -- while I respect Christopher Chong's creative genius, why would he name a perfume after an Opera character's suicide? 8.5/10.

GRAF
GRAF

Honour Man is a superb and classy quality scent for men. Strong, spicy, smoky, woody, a little sweet and powdery are everything that characterize it. Strong and powerful spices like peppers, incense and geranium are a combination that not everybody likes it. It is love or hate for the first moment. So I can understand the negative reviews although it remains a true amouage with exceptional quality.
It opens strongly with pink and black pepper while the nutmeg comes almost immediately. After some time geranium comes to the surface among with deep and rich woody vetiver. As time passes appear more notes like cedar, elemi and the rest. it becomes tame and smooth. The begining is realy strong for any nose but beautiful!
The longevity on my skin is about 10 hours and the projection is heavy. With two-three sprays you can fill a room. I highly recomend it for winter, fall and cool spring days. Definitely not for hot weather.
The most distinguished notes I get are pink pepper, incense, nutmeg, tonka bean, vetiver and geranium. The other notes are quite noticable except a weak musk.
I've already bought my bottle and I do not regret it because it is a superb juice and I love it! Do not be affected from the negative reviews until you personally try on your own skin the Honour Man.

NZFH
NZFH

It seems that Amouage cannot win. Is such a high-priced luxury house deserving of my sympathy? I think so.

Many people complain that Amouage fragrances are too heavy, complex and hard-hitting for easy every-day use and wearability. Then, when the house introduces a softer and more subtle fragrance to their line, people cry out that it's not special, hard-hitting or noteworthy enough!

I tried this on at the same time as Interlude Man (one on each wrist). I would place these fragrances at opposite ends of the spectrum (I think most would agree). Honour provided an interesting counterpoint to Interlude Man. I could compare the development of both throughout the day.

Yes it's softer, more subtle, but it's a beautiful fragrance, with the trademark incense and a touch of floral. I'm seriously considering purchasing a full bottle of this as well as Interlude. I think Honour could be an excellent every-day, all-season Amouage, not too obtrusive, but still with the quality ingredients and longevity that typify this House.

UPDATE: Tried another sample of this one today and was even more impressed than first time round. Honour Man is far from "overrated" I believe it is CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED.

The peppery opening was nice but did not last too long. For the first hour I got a really strong and fresh lemon/lime note (yet no citrus accords are contained in the official note pyramid - the elemi?). Then the citrus and the pepper residue were slowly submerged under creamy waves of milky incense and geranium. The sweetness of the fragrance becomes stronger without ever getting cloying.

Honour Man is gentle and subtle, but in no way weak.

He has a strong, quiet presence. He is someone who knows his own quiet inner strength, without the need to make an outward display of strength through boldness, brashness or arrogance.

This is perfume mastery.

Russian's man
Russian's man

Wow!! This fragrance it's very interesting IMO. Perhaps, Honour Man it's not the resinous loudness like for example Interlude Man or of other perfumes of this house but win on versatility. Principally, it has a alluring melange of fresh spiciness and soft creaminess. Sincerely it reminds me to Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

It's very suitable for many occasions and seasons. The performance it's amazing on my skin.

Scent: 7
Longevity: 9
Projection: 8
Sillage: 8
Uniqueness: 6
Versatility: 7

Overall: 7,5

bugsyiii
bugsyiii

So I am reviewing the non-magnetic cap fragrance of Honour Man: Great fragrance, I think Honour Man sits somewhere between Epic and Interlude. Honour Man is not as potent as Interlude, however it is not as smoky as Epic. With Honour Man you get a nice geranium mixed with the black and pink pepper and it comes off very inviting. There is this creamy feel that Honour Man leaves in its trail along with this sweet smoky aroma that lifts off the skin in a very beautiful way. Some have concluded this to be too peppery...I'm not getting this, yet to each is his/her own; I don't think this is to harsh or astringent to the nose. Honour Man is masculine in my opinion.

....I tink, I tink I smell a..., wait, I've smelt this before-Burberry for Men. The drydown of Honour Man reminds me of Burberry for Men.

Overall: great fragrance from this line.
Projection: 6.5-7
Sillage: 6.5
Longevity: 6.5-7

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Honour and Jubilation are my favorites from Amouage. They are almost perfect creations. But there is a problem. The Honour, that i bought 3 years ago had 6-8 hours longevity. But the new ones are really week. It does not Last even 1 hour. I tired different boutiques but the result was the same. Im really disappointed....

landshark321
landshark321

Amouage Honour Man falls into the category of the less-hyped men's fragrances, and it's not difficult to understand why, given that this is most a fresh spicy fragrance derived from a heavy use of pepper. While the opening is a bit harsh for my taste, it quickly descends into a fresh peppery blend that is quite pleasant to my nose. While the pepper is noteworthy, no other notes jump out at me, so the notes in the dry down being shown as a muted blend of cedar, patchouli, musk, and tonka more or less makes sense.

I definitely wouldn't call this overrated but longevity-wise, it's a bit disappointing for the standard (even discounted) Amouage price. Projection is decent for the first hour or two then calms down dramatically--it's no Interlude Man.

I enjoy pepper but have an alternate in the form of a Duross & Langel Black Pepper EDC that might be considered a viable (albeit less refined) replacement. Still, I'd certainly consider purchasing this in the future. A good pepper option if you like pepper-dominant fragrances.

7 out of 10

Cyrule
Cyrule

Honour Man opens with a powerful plume of pepper, then proceeds to a juicy aldehydic geranium, and... Is that apple? Apple isn't listed as a note, but it definitely reminds me of apple. Vetiver is playing a supporting role here, never taking the front stage. During drydown, that hypnotic signature Amouage incense suddenly pops up, waiting until the end of the party to make itself known. The scent has limited sillage, as everyone who noticed it had to get pretty close first. It stays on clothes for an excess 16 hours, so I'd say it has pretty good staying power.
All in all, Honour is a fresh, juicy, and aromatic aroma. Wearable in any season, but particularly well-suited to the spring and fall. The combination of notes present is pretty common, so for me I'd have to pass on the big bucks and look for a comparable and more affordable scent. It's a quality fragrance to be sure, but not what I consider a luxury fragrance.

anigemini
anigemini

Spray and forget. 15 minutes later u can't tell the difference. Overrated. Worst Amouage I've ever tried.

myra83

honour men is timeless favorite of mine before i mention its heaven when layering with epic women.. today i try something new i mix it with pure frakincense oil which it given by my friend from amouage factory.. the result its much much better than old formula.. projection superb 10/10 happy

james.morris
james.morris

I love this fragrance. I find myself reaching for it more often than I originally thought I would after trying a sample. It's warm and very pleasing on the nose. It's the sort of fragrnce I also like a few sprays of in the evening. It works very well with the concept of an open fire and a glass of wine.

I would not rate this a as a young person's choice, but it would depend on your strength of character.

I am very glad to have bought a full bottle and would continue to keep in stock. A good choice.

bailão
bailão

This is a captivating one from the amouage's fragrances, you can see the top quality ingredients in here, indeed. Although this is the one that is more apart from the house, from the ones I've already tested. I can't barely smell the incensed based that I can detect from the others, maybe I can, or maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me, honestly I dunno. As someone said before, is the one that is more linear too, but that doesn't mean that I'm disqualifying Honour Man, no way! I feel in the opening some peppery/spicy/metallic/flowery vibe that feels so niche, so unique, so exquisite! Kinda reminds me of Chanel Platinum Egoiste by far, so far, but does (without pepper/spices of course). By far, I've known Memoir, Lyric, Jubilation, Reflection and recently this one. Such as Reflection, this one has some versatility though it's very high class. Longevity is above average (9/10 hours) but projection isn't that great, IMO it's a close to skin scent. Utterly unique fragrance!

I give this an overall 7/10.

If you like peppers on fragrances as I do, you must take a sniff on this one!

Sauerkraut
Sauerkraut

After long and intensive testing of the whole 'Man' (14 pieces) line from this brand Honour is the one that I prefer the most. Most of the offerings are from the dark incensy and woody kind...nothing groundbreaking, nothing new and certainly not worth the price. To me there are four that are different: Dia man, Ciel Man, Reflection Man and my final choice Honour Man, a perfect and unique smelling symbiosis (and surely not a copy) of the scents mentioned by Alfarom: Encre Noire, CDG2Man, Sel De Vetiver, Sycomore and especially Ormonde Man. To me Amouage Honour Man is what Ormonde Man should have been...that's the point!

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Honour Man is for me among the “least Amouage” offerings by Amouage – both in a (slightly) positive and (mostly) negative meaning. The good news is that it smells different from most of their other masculine scents, so at least it’s something new: the bad news is that this “new” smells like a cheap parody of any Comme des Garçons-like balsamic peppery incense stuffed with musk, nutmeg, geranium and discount vetiver. That’s pretty much it in fact, a really artificial and kind of harsh musky incense with a mildly vibrant geranium-green-balsamic vein, which would be even quite nice (leafy, bitter, realistic) if it wasn’t blended with a cheap peppery-musky-incense and ambroxan galore, supported by a really generic, Jil Sander-esque woody base. You can easily guess how this smells on skin: “grey”, kind of cold, annoyingly synthetic, with a lot of plastic-rubbery nuances I wouldn’t really want from this price range. Vibrant and creative as an office cubicle on Sunday. Shortly probably it gives you the same result you’d get by layering Jil Sander Men (from 2000) with any geranium-musky supermarket scent. Now you know why I don’t like most of niche offerings? Because contrary to mainstream/designer brands managing (more or less successfully) to produce anything from socks to fragrances via dog leashes, so having at least the “we’re really busy” excuse, niche houses have one job – making perfumes. They’ve all the time and the resources to do it. And half of the time they make clumsy stuff mainstream brands could make blind folded between a new pair of shoes and a stoneware set. And at a fraction of the price, obviously. Honour Man may be decent, but... what’s the point?

aniwolfe
aniwolfe

Smells 98% like Bvlgari Man. If you don't believe me..test it yourself. Glad I sampled before hitting the buy now button. Pass

Manny44
Manny44

Wonderful scent, but the guy below me who said its like a combo of Bulgari Man And Marc Jacobs Bang is surprisingly right on. Lovely though. Rich and spicy but still very bright and totally "wearable".

Update: Wore this to a formal function over the weekend and it performed beautifully. It was going strong and projecting nicely 4 hours into a crowded party and smelled great. BTW when I said this smelled like two designer fragrances (Bang and BVlgari Man) of course it goes without saying this is of a higher quality. It is Amouage after all. Even though I wore this to a formal event I do think this is ultimately more of a casual, relaxed fragrance.

muzzbait
muzzbait

the thing with amouage is that it spoils you. it spoils you with olfactory pleasure. so much so, when it gives you something like honour man, it underwhelms you a smidge. if this was released by penhaligon's or even l'artisan, you'd hold it to a 'different' standard. your expectations are higher, and as a result, scents like these kinda underwhelm you. this is not like 'fate' for men or even 'interlude' for women. it's mute, doesn't knock you off your feet enough and is quite normal, actually. perfectly normal scent, passable and even pleasant, but it's not amazing, which is what you look for in amouage. i get damp hay, delicate white woodiness and tepid floral. sorry to sound like such a snob, but ummm...

johnnybr0801
johnnybr0801

Very peppery, kinda strong scent however it mellows down after 2 hours to a soft and musky base. Easy to wear and not really screams for attention if this is what you aim for, except the bottle which is simply gorgeous!
Not the best for my taste from Amouage, however I think this fragrance from top to bottom designed for the Asian market. One of those arabic perfumes that could be a hit there, since its not that "middle-eastern".. I like it but not loving it! :)

Marciu
Marciu

More peppery and spicy/woody than incensy/smoky. But still, you can feel the Amouage quality in here.

The opening is a blast of black and pink pepper. It hits my nosthrills immediately each time I wear it. Yes, it's similar to Jacobs's Bang a bit, but done better. This pepper mix stays until the end and mixes with incense and vetiver. That's pretty much all I could sniff out of it. Linear? Compared to other Amouages - yes, a little bit, but it's still much more complex and upscaled compared to most fragrances that contain pepper.

Longevity is something around 10 hours on my skin, sillage is rather medium.

Is it worth its price? Still - yes. Would I buy it? For now - not yet. Maybe one day :)

Diablo
Diablo

This perfume reminds me of Marc Jacobs bang with pepper while metallic and vetiver smell of Bvlgari Man.
I am agree with those who said it has mainstream in it, but still I think this is in his own level. You can really smell how high quality this is.

I have mixed bvlgari man with Marc Jacobs bang and you know what, it smells almost like Amouage Honour for less money. You can even try it out and see what you think

marsya77
marsya77

I love the smell, maskuline, reminds me to somebody,
make me feel relaxing, cool, so sweet...

muffe
muffe

Smell of incense is too overpowering. Don't like it.

henri345que
henri345que

I like Honour Man, but honestly is one of the safest Amouages so far. It's rich, but it's not something that you wouldn't see on mainstream - it seems really like a mixture of bvlgari man and marc jacobs bang on steroids. It has an amazing sillage on skin, the mixture of peppers seems rich, complex and of high quality and with something slightly sweet and resinous that comes after it, which i think it may be the elemi resin. It's too expensive, but well, with Amouage you are buying the full concept, not only the juice. I see that Amouage tries to balance exuberant launches with simpler but still richer ones, and today i think that it's a nice strategy to attract different consumers.

ZELJO
ZELJO

Overrated to dead
simple,plain, short lasting, costs close to 200 euros but isnt worth 15

Kain
Kain

This is a nice fragrance.
At the opening you can smell the signature of many Amouage fragrances Incense note, mixed with huge blast of pepper.
The incense note smell herbal with powdery feeling.
There is a fresh citrusy note at the opening as well.
I know there is no citruses in the notes but I can feel some kind of tart and fresh citrusy scent. something like grapefruit that fades away after just a few minutes.
There is a floral note from geranium and a little bit of sweetness, but they are mostly in the background.
Very complex scent.
There is no too much changes in the mid.
In the mid, the pepper note settles down and you will get a little more sweetness and a little stronger geranium note.
The incense note with powdery feeling still standing strong and you can easily feel it.
In the base you will get a smooth, warm and sweet (not very sweet) ambery scent with some incense, pepper and geranium in the background.
The scent has a light soapy feeling as well.
It's not a very daring and different scent but something that I really like about this fragrance is the complexity of the scent.
Projection is really good and longevity is around 8-10 hours.

یه عطر خوب و خیلی کمپلکس از این برند
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی بخور و دز بسیار زیادی از فلفل شروع میشه
رایحه بخور بیشتر حس گیاهی و کمی تلخ داره و یه حس پودری به عطر میده
با اینکه تو این عطر رایحه مرکبات ذکر نشده اما من یه بوی خنک و ترش مرکباتی، چیزی شبیه به گریپ فروت هم حس میکنم که البته بعد از چند دقیقه خیلی سریع محو میشه
کمی رایحه های شیرین و کمی هم رایحه گل گرانیوم به مشام میرسه که البته در حاشیه قرار دارن و بصورت ضعیف به مشام میرسن
در رایحه میانی بوی عطر تغییرات خیلی کمی میکنه
رایحه فلفل تا حد زیادی ضعیف میشه و رایحه گل گرانیوم و رایحه های شیرین کمی قویتر میشن
رایحه بخور با اون حس پودری و گیاهی و کمی تلخش همچنان قدرتمند حس میشه
وقتی عطر به رایحه پایه میرسه عطر بوی نیمه شیرین و گرم کهربایی پیدا میکنه که در کنارش میشه کمی رایحه بخور، فلفل و گل گرانیومُ حس کرد
عطر تو این مرحله یه بوی خیلی ضعیف و ملایم صابونی هم داره
در مجموع عطر خیلی خاص یا منحصر بفرد مثل خیلی از عطرهای آمواژ نیست اما چیزی که در مورد این عطر دوست دارم بوی کمپلکسش هست
پخشش خیلی خوبه و ماندگاری بین 8-10 ساعت روی پوست داره

Roge'
Roge'

Allow me to resurrect Honour's image in the court of public opinion. There are indeed instances in the development where Honour has mainstream likenesses. With that being said, beware of ”Fragrances was better in the 70s guy". He'll have you believing Honour is average. I'm here to let you know that this is a good one and dare I say borderline blind buy material. Not as complex as its sibling, Amouage still manages to capture the essence of man with this offering. If the price point weren't so high, I would predict this scent to be a go to fragrance for years to come.

yilmazg
yilmazg

Floral you asked? This is one of the best male florals out there. Geranium is my favourite note and I can be a bit biased but this is absolutely amazing. Clean, natural (or should I say übernatural) and floral, this is the medieval perfume of the Turkish Sultan. Very peppery in the opening yes but this is a geranium themed cologne and it excels in every department. It smells like geranium mixed with gum mastic. This is a wonderful experience for any man, woman or couple. If you are a man you will feel privileged wearing this and your self-esteem will hit rocket high. If you are a woman and your ex used to wear this and now he left you for good then I am sure you will buy this and spray on your pillows before you sleep and cry a river. This must be the perfume of Suleiman the Magnificent. This stuff is powerful. Beware.

Well the first time I tried this I promise you it smelled like a carpet shop I even had my girlfriend smell it and when asked what it reminded her of without prompting she said 'A carpet shop.'
So I'd had my first review validated... to a degree.
I have to say I've worn a healthy application of this juice a couple of times now...so a fair trial one would imagine.
And I've concluded it doesn't smell like a carpet shop.

Honour man is remarkably fresh, I get a floral slightly peppery, mild incense nothing heavy or jarring in here and it's nice.
That is all though, I didn't get monstrous longevity or the power you get from the likes of Interlude.
This to me is a more palatable version of Fate, if you like the general middle eastern feel of Amouage scents but don't want a powerhouse of spice then this would be a good choice.

Hate to be a philistine because the other two fragrances I tried from this house absolutely blew me away and I consider them to be genius.

This to me smells exactly like the smell when you walk into a carpet shop.

Not that that's a bad smell...just a weird thing to want to smell like.
I suspect the dry down is better and reveals more but I couldn't get past that opening.

jhitt793
jhitt793

Another one of Amouage's stronger offerings, although unfortunately short lasting. Opens with spicy pink and black peppercorns along side medicinal elemi and beautiful geranium. It dries down rather quickly, and I must say becomes quite tame afterwards. All the promise of the opening quickly fades away much like a flash in a pan. (80)

alepoz84
alepoz84

be con indossarlo non vi fa passare inosservati, è aggressivo al punto giusto, la punta di testa è fenomenale ma la note di base lasciano di stucco..... anche se come prezzo è un po proibitivo....

Vahagn
Vahagn

Strong and imperious, low-key, but spunky from the inside, that's how you can describe this fragrance. I would say - "burning steel" from the east. It is dominated by dry and mysterious incense. Vetiver imparts a certain warmth and pepper notes give inner fire.Bravo!!!

Jwaks
Jwaks

I hope you like pepper, lots of pepper! Amouage does Piper Nigrum...Update and correction. This is not like piper nigrum. Honour Man's pepper dominates with a bold, sharp, nostril tingling goodness. In piper nigrum it blends seamlessly with a plethora of herbs in a creamy, minty dry, herbal concoction. I'll write a review of piper nigrum soon...the quality is on par with Amouage fragrances..Honour man is a totally uninspired, boring and superfluous take on a timeless masculine note, black pepper. It's as if perfumers don't know any other ingredient to use to make a perfume smell 'masculine' so they just reach for the tried and true black pepper. Some advice, stop trying to make scents masculine and just make them smell good, fit a theme, show off your talent as a perfumer, be a piece of art or make a statement. Honour man's statement? Spray this on your steak if you want it au poivre.

rzetzm
rzetzm

Plunging full-throttle into my first Amouage review:

This wonderful cologne is a testament to the benefit of attempting to please one's senses - to broaden one's point of view. To open up new gateways to experiences yet unknown. In our (my?) pleasurable and yet sometimes boring lives, it's nice to know that a quick, innocent sniff at one's wrist is both beneficial to mind and body but also an act so non-discerning that no one pays any notice.

Entering Amouage's Honor Man... I don't know what I smelled at first. Maybe a woody, spicy men's scent? I'm completely a novice in the world of scents, but I'm a quick study and very eager learner. Thanks goodness for Fragrantica! What a wonderful way to explore this pleasure.

So yeah... peppercorns. Very interesting. I went to smell two different peppercorns today, and re-applied. Such a great experience.

Almost all of the other ingredients are noticeable once you have them all listed in front of you. It's a delightful experience. In short, actually - a spicy, woody fragrance that I personally will not be purchasing a full bottle of (because of the price - it's good but not that good) but one that has opened up new ways of thinking and smelling about cologne. A treasured, wonderful, and unique experience.

Well-done.

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

I do echo other reviewers when its comes to Honour MAN, I am a big amouage fan but off lately, under its new tutelage the company i feel, has been more of a wannabe company than the one which should flaunt its majestic opulence as it is already established as one of the best niche house which amalgamates many rare ingredients from the middle east marrying them with handpicked mainstream ingredients for the western or modern nose.

That Said, Honour MAN isn't bad - but its one of the scents which does "nothing to you" there isnt a point in the fragrance where you can put your finger on and say, there this is what i like, indeed its more like a butterfly, it floats around and you and when it dies within a few days, its beauty is not remembered and you just pass on to something better.

The best part of this fragrance is the white pepper/geranium combo which lasts about 30 mins or so, and then comes the dreadful synthetic-sweet dry down, whilst its not cloying its also equally irritating though not off-putting.

So the major part of the frangrance is just several notes which include a handful of peppers (not the spicy kind), elemi & nutmeg with a hint of incense and white sandalwood with NO HINTS of vetiver or cedar or musk for that matter, a milky forgettable composition by Amouge.

May 2013 Edit
---------------------

All Said and Done - i think this has grown on me like no other amouage - its a mysterious crowd pleaser which puts you in a mystical mood - going for a full bottle now..

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

'I am a hardcore fan of Amouage, but there is always a scent that will not fill our eyes, or rather the nose.
Honour Man is easy to like, I think that is beside the Reflection to the more 'western' and 'commercial' house, but in my opinion something is missing in this perfume.
Far from being bad, but nowhere near the level of the other house, is a combination of geranium with a semi fougere touch and heated intensely by pepper, giving an aromatic spiced air with vetiver, has the famous DNA and remarkable home also with the incense, I may be talking nonsense, I know, but something failed.

myra83

For me its similar to sean john unforgivable women... its on my skin.. even this one is for men but its going well on my skin.. love this fagrance

Gashtasb
Gashtasb

Definitely smells Carolina Herrera for Men

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

Perfect! The best pepper based scent I`ve smelled. Under the strong woody peppery topnotes, there is a soft refined geranium / nutmeg combo that almost smell a bit flowery, like a rose! Sillage and longevity is excellent, and 2 sprays last all day long. I use Dia as my daytime / formal Amouage scent, and Honour as my evening scent. I feel like a rich Arabic Sheik when I wear Honour. People around you will think "This is something special, this is something expencive.."

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Ok, I'm not going to get hung-up on the Madam Butterfly/ Arabian frag/ back story here and dispense with a lengthy claptrap. The bottom line is: fab and/ or will I buy?

Well, love the pepper/ pink pepper top notes. Warm, clean and inviting. The middle notes never really make a cameo. But, the base notes are an interesting blend of cedar, musk and patchouli which does wrap it up nicely.

This is not an easy scent to digest ( not frag 101). Need some experience to participate (Are You Experienced?)

Flacon is above average but not by much.

Overall,a well defined scent.

Sillage: good. Longevity: good. Price: what's your credit card's limit? lol!

This review is based on a sample.

Oh yeah, I promised an answer if fab and/or if I would buy. Well, fab yes and still debating the buy.

A spicy-woody geranium. We could talk for hours about Honour Man but, to me, this is just a decent spicy woody geranium.

It opens with a well orchestrated blend of pepper (pink and black) that results quite interesting expecially if compared to other more popular deliveries in the same vein. It speaks clealry and says: "this is how we do it". Nutmeg makes it appearance right away providing even more complexity to the countless nouances of the opening. So far, so good...

Suddendly, a bold geranium note joined by a massive woody vetiver base break in and, together with the usual smoky cedarwood-frankincense signature, lead the fragrance towards a more conventional territory. In this phase (which is the main part of the fragrance), Honour Man is still incredibly pleasant but it fails in originality and overall quality. Think about Kenzoair (pepper-vetiver), Encre Noir (Iso E Super and vetiver), CDG2Man (smoky and fresh incense), Sel De Vetiver (vetiver and geranium) and Sycomore (incense and vetiver) and you'll get an idea.

Downline: Honour Man smells pretty darn good but for the same price of 50ml you can get 200ml of Sycomore. How it sounds?

Recent reformulations and some of the newest releases made me think they're trying to "standardize" their fragrances at Amouage.

s2164059
s2164059

Very good pepper spice fragrance. It is more than that though...rather than actually smelling like pepper it smells like what I WANT pepper to smell like in a fragrance! This is a Monet - not a Rembrandt.

While the notes make me think winter I actually see this as a very versatile scent. I wore it the other day (2 sprays at 7am) and it had pretty much disappeared by supper (a little bit of musk still held close to my skin). At 9pm I went to the gym and the pepper and geranium fired right back up. With some spicy scents this bothers me but this one was fine...I'll have no problem using it in the summer!

Nosina
Nosina

I was very suprised when I tested Honour Man. On my female skin I felt less pepper and nothing metallic but quite rapidely a lot of delicate incense and oud with a gentle rose and a touch of jasmine that comes in and out. I found this scent much more interesting than Honour Woman. I don't understand why Honour Man is classified as masculine and not unisex.

SculptureOfSoul

curtis, your "review" would have more impact except for the fact that Christopher Chong was the creative director behind Jubilation and Epic (and also Memoir and the Lyric duo). And each of them had a storyline, too. Jubilation less so - it was more a celebration of their 25th anniversary - but Lyric and Epic (and the much lauded Memoir duo) definitely have a story behind them; a story that started with Lyric.

So, don't blame CC. You don't like Honour Man - that's fine. But please spare us the shortsighted doomsday speech (especially as you failed to note that it was upon Christopher Chong's arrival that Amouage's two most commercial fragrances, Arcus and Cirrus - that were FAR more commercial than Honour could ever dream to be - were discontinued. I'd say he's taken the brand in a wonderful direction. Most of the most lauded Amouage scents were under his direction.)

curtis.glenn
curtis.glenn

OK, I'm not here to review the new parfum for men by Amouage but to review, as it were, the process used to get to the creation...Madam Butterfly...her son...whatever his feelings were in his life? Really Christopher? Really?
I remember when Amouage came out with the new Gold man, then Epic, then Jubilation XXV and I cannot look b back and recall his 'vision' for those, because there wasn't any!!! Why is Amouage letting him go down this questionable road with their very exclusive, expensive line...Have they sold to P and G, or LVMC? Because that's the type of hype that parfum companies spew out when they've gone "corporate"...and you know what the next thing they’ll do is? All new works and then the older remakes will become synthetic, unnatural, absolutely, awful and a questionable remake of something that used to be wonderful…a fragrance that you were excited to put on before going out (of course their argument will be that no one can tell the difference and they are saving their shareholders a butt load of money). I bought my Mother some Joy a couple of years ago by Patou...I remember back a few years when Joy was the quintessential parfum for women...absolutely the most beautiful fragrance I've ever smelled...men’s or women’s...I was awestruck the first time I smelled it as a 16 year old young man...Now, as I smelled her bottle after she told me something was wrong with her new parfum, I became nauseated...upon turning it over I saw made by "P & G" on the bottom of the obviously fake crystal made out of some sort of glass mimicking plastic with a laughable, grotesque resemblance of a great old gold-on-crystal stopper...my nausea changed to severe depression..it was like the end of an era to me...something wonderful from my childhood that was not dead, because that would have been humane, but something that went from a beautiful, elegant courtesan to a crack ho with no teeth....hey, I was sad...Amouage better take note, because one of the other reviewers was spot on when he said the notes were not nearly as numerous or well thought out as was Epic, Gold and Jubilation...and I think there is a reason for this, and his initials are CC..And, I don't mean Clive Christian. You can't put that blame on Nathalie Feisthauer because her other work is exemplary. No, I feel she did the best she could do with CC hanging over her shoulders irritatingly humming some tired old aria.
CG...

jtd
jtd

Amouage asks you to consider gender with its paired man/woman releases, the Golds, the Jubilations, the Dias, etc.. I don’t know all the Amouages, but I’m always leary of the boy/girl thing. It seems so rote, so perfunctory. Like dressing babies exclusively in blue or pink. The quality of the perfumes, though, has always won me over (at least the three noted above), and the gender pairing becomes less important. But with each new matched-pair release, the issue comes up again.

For the Honours, it is the man who suffers. There is a progression from start to finish of HM, but due to its composition of mostly woody or resinous elements, all quite durable over time, there is a lingering feel. A peppery start moves slowly to a sour wood heart, and eventually to a not unpleasant, but murky base combining vetiver, incense and tonka.

The operatic concept hints at emotionalism and heavy theatrical symbolism. Unmet expectation (of drama) and comparison (to operatic scale) make Honour Man seem insignificant. My real problem with HM, though, is that in a reversal of a recent trend, niche attempts to imitate designer. For all the opera, for all the narrative, HM reads like an attempt to squeeze a boatload of (likely) high quality botanicals into the shape of Iso E Super. Perhaps interesting as an exercise, but to my nose, unsuccessful as a costly product.

velb95
velb95

There are many words wasted on a scent reminiscent of the old Tenere of Paco Rabanne, which unlike Tenere disappears after an hour. It seems like Amouge should change its policy and try to look for more creative solutions, but not only follow and believe the stupid stories of Christopher Chong's unsound mind.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I love the Amouage brand for its redefining quality and inspiration.

While I love the concept and marketing for this scent in particular, I am not too taken by the scent itself.

It reminds me a lot of Marc Jacobs' "BANG" which also starts with this cool metal peppery opening.

What follows is a nice warming up smouldering charcoal effect with some cedarwood, nutmeg, and some other wooden notes. The geranium I cannot identify and whatever Elemi defines, I would not know.

While the frankinsense dry-down is pleasant, this composition is not winning me over despite being an interesting perfume.

I think of a sophisticated furniture designer or wood-working artist will be taking a likening to this.

If you want the budget version: go for Marc Jacobs "BANG!" as it is almost the same, maybe a bit more linear and with less natural oils and sillage, but the price difference will be significant.

Wayne
Wayne

Well I have just received my 25 x 2mil samples from Amouage, this includes both the men and womens plus the five library scents, I don't think £35 was a bad price for these considering if I buy a full bottle within two month's £35 will be deducted from the full bottle price.

Now the problem, which one do I choose? they all smell so beautiful though some of them I feel may be a bit to efeminate for a male to wear. I have not tested them all yet but so far the front runners seem to be, jubililation, epic, of which it's lasting on my skin is amazing, twelve hours later a shower and I could still smell this on my wrist. The new honour I thought is a beautiful fragrance as well and will probably join the short list. I tried out lyric last night, although the scent is beautiful and I could not stop from smelling my wrist I am not sure it is a masculine fragrance giving off a strong rose boquet and an aroma that if I were to smell this on a Woman she would unquestionably turn my head. One thing that did suprise me was the gold, I know a lot of you swear by this fragrance but I felt that this is the only Amouage fragrance so far that does not smell nice on me and seemed to have a dry down similar to that of a tannery in eighteenth century Paris, quite nauseous, I will give it the benefit though and give it another try in a week or so. Oh well two month's to make my mind up.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

Didnt smell the powdery notes, tested it even the dry down..wonder if there is a powder that like this..love to try it

marioslg3
marioslg3

Strong sweet spicy all the way....long lasting and interesting but for me very powdery. I do not like powdery perfumes but in the line of Amouage, there are a lot of these. Different culture maybe! Surely for the colder months of the year.

SculptureOfSoul

I believe that any scent ostensibly based on a particular concept should actually reflect the concept in some way in its composition. So, before I begin with the review I want to share some words regarding Honour Man from Christopher Chong, the creative director of Amouage who guided its development (both taken from an interview with him over at Cafleurbon):

"Honour Man is a spicy and woody fragrance invoking memories of the past signified by a mixture of disturbing and conflicting accords starting with a spicy burst of pink pepper and black pepper. Geranium and elemi are used to represent a filial elegy to the honour and memory of Madame Butterfly. A woody base evolves with a musky allusion to this story of reconciliation."

Mr. Chong also says: "Her son who is now the same age as her when she killed herself revisits the scenario in his mind by forming a narrative with her spirit in order to reconcile the conflict that he has had with himself and her death."

--------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve worn Honour Man for the last 8 days straight since receiving the sample. I can’t recall the last time I’ve worn any scent eight days in a row – it was probably back when I only had a single bottle of scent in my pre-BN days. I am still intrigued and perplexed by Honour and definitely do not feel like I have fully understood it, despite being immersed in it for over a week. Like the virtue bearing its name, Honour may seem easy to describe, but it is anything but.

Honour begins with a resounding warmth and depth that put to rest my fears that it might be a one dimensional “sniff a pepper shaker” opening. I do like the pepper prominent opening of Bang, but Honour Man showcases what large doses of natural oils can do to add depth and richness to a scent. The pepper oils are almost complete scents in themselves featuring nuances of ginger, incense, coniferous and terpenic elements, and a warmth and richness unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in a scent. This is the pepper that was once worth its weight in gold.

Immediately flanking the pepper are elemi – a resinoid related to frankincense - and a very full bodied geranium note. In fact, almost all of the notes in the notes list are immediately identifiable and this is where the composition diverges from any structure I’ve ever encountered before in a scent. Without being too wordy (I’ve written another more in-depth review of this that I decided against posting because it is just over the top wordy and deconstructionist), there are three layers or olfactive threads that immediately become apparent.

The distinction and separation of these layers is almost preternatural, while the way they actually smell is in fact very very natural. Many notes occupy more than one layer, as almost all natural oils are truly perfumes in themselves featuring not only top/mid and base notes in a linear or horizontal progression, but also a ‘vertical spread and progression’ wherein different facets of the note are spread upon a vertical olfactory axis. Some vetivers, for example, can immediately smell almost minty fresh in the upper registers while smelling earthy, grassy and peppery in the mid and low registers.

While the notes list for Honour Man is unusually sparse for an Amouage, I believe this is because each note was carefully chosen so that each facet of both its linear and vertical progression would interlink with the other notes in such a way as to create a composition with extreme clarity in its vertical separation. Further, as the scent evolves, these olfactory threads weave into and out of one another in the same manner as carefully composed lines of melodic counterpoint. It is for this reason - less notes, each with greater clarity, that I believe this is in some ways the simplest Amouage for men. Yet, the interplay of the inspired contrapuntal olfactive threads makes it, in some ways, the most complex. Also, thanks to the clarity of the separation present in Honour Man, it strikes the nose as a truly 3-dimensional composition in a manner evidenced by very few scents.

Three olfactive threads become immediately apparent as the scent opens. A wispy, diaphanous honey and pollen like sweetness with hints of almond provided by the tonka is elevated by the minty, and almost eucalyptus/lime-like tones of elemi and geranium, and conversely grounded by a rich and earthy, almost nutty vetiver in the base.

The middle thread is extremely warm and resinous with the pepper, elemi, and hints of incense present right from the start. Smoldering and warm, this thread offers a great contrast in temperature and texture to the upper thread. It stays closer to the skin and with a simple shift of focus you can easily sniff out each of the listed notes, with the geranium being particularly true to life. This thread stays separate from the upper and lower threads for quite some time and truly feels like a perfume unto itself, as do all of the threads. It is their interaction with each other wherein the genius lies.

The lower thread is a rich and earthy vetiver, grassy and dry but not sour or excessively smoky. Joining it is the hay-like lower registers of tonka, along with a patchouli note that offers hints of cinnamon which merge with the nutmeg that arrives later. The patchouli also helps to smooth the texture of the scent and comes to play later acting as an important bridge between threads in the base.

I’m going to abandon for now describing everything in terms of the olfactive thread it is on, not because it isn’t interesting, but because I fear it is too hard to fully appreciate (and perhaps follow) unless you have the scent before you and can actually smell it.

After the clarion call of smoldering and resinous pepper, the scent begins to transform immediately. The warmth remains in that middle thread but the notes converge elsewhere to create a short lived lime blossom accord, with a distinct airiness carrying both it and the later floral notes that emerge, an airiness that calls to mind the ‘blue sky/fresh air accord’ present in Ciel Man. A faint semi-gourmand quality emerges as the wispy honey and nutty qualities converge, and yet there is a definite warmth and earthiness in the lower registers. Already, dissonance. I imagine the son sitting in his mother’s garden, surrounded by the smells of life – her life – as he lights some incense to help ease into a reverie. Yes, the beginning minute or two is the heat and fire that ignites the incense. Slowly the smoke carries him deeper into his dream.

As the smoldering heart settles and slowly recedes to become a background player, ghost notes of carnation and jasmine are evoked – elements distinctly present in Honour Woman, the scent of his mother - as the floral geranium combines with the tonka for the former, and the tonka and patchouli for the latter. These floral elements are rendered in an airy, ethereal manner, and never fully merge with the base or the smoldering heart of scent, instead hovering over it like a dream.

Elemi, vetiver and geranium converge in the middle register and suggest something almost tea like, faintly smoky, and this merges seamlessly with the translucent and evanescent jasmine which flits into and out of the composition most mysteriously. Yes, jasmine tea – perhaps Madame Butterfly was fond of it.

In time the different threads continue to weave in and out of each other, sometimes in beautiful harmony and sometimes with calculated dissonance. After a few hours the heart and base lines merge and become a grounding ostinato over which the ethereal and floral line plays. This ostinato calls to mind a refined version of CdG 2 Man, with earthy vetiver, a persistent but gentle white smoke, a warm and present but tamed nutmeg, hints of smooth patchouli, and a deep resinous quality that evokes opoponax resin more so than frankincense, to my nose. This opoponax, too, is a ghost note created by the convergence of nutmeg, frankincense, hints of pepper and cedar, and forms another link to Honour Woman, where opoponax is a key player in the base. This smoldering core is at times spicy, smoky, woody, and even features a realistic salt note (likely from the vetiver) that combines to smell not only of resinous incense but also of male skin gleaming with fresh sweat.

Although the core of the scent and the airy floral line never merge, not even in the late drydown, they are tethered to one another via the patchouli. In the late dry down, the patchouli and ethereal and airy jasmine call to mind a whisper of Reflection Man – an observation my girlfriend also made independently from me and without any suggestion on my part.

Honour man finally comes to a close - an ethereal reinterpretation of Honour Woman through the son’s eyes, summoned by and resting upon that resinous incense core - but never comes to complete resolution. Those who like scents that are challenging and offer endless new facets with each wearing will love Honour Man. Those who prefer their scents safe, unoffensive, or comforting will likely not enjoy Honour Man.

I find Honour Man to be as ingenious at reflecting its concept as was Memoir Man. In Memoir Man the transformation was from living to ashy memory, and here the transformation is a reinterpretation of the feminine floating above an incensey, masculine core. To be honest, I still do not fully understand Honour Man, although I have tried very very hard to wrap my head completely around it. I do not know if I love it, but I respect it greatly.