Designers » A » Chypre « Groups

dislike

smoky
leather
Memoir Woman Amouage for women Pictures Memoir Woman Amouage for women Pictures

The perfume arrives on the market in September 2010 and belongs to leather-animalistic-chypre fragrances. Perfumers Daniel Maurel and Dorothée Piot built it around central note of absynth. Top notes are cardamom, mandarin orange, pink pepper and wormwood; middle notes are clove, incense, pepper, woodsy notes, jasmine, rose and white flowers; base notes are musk, french labdanum, oak moss, styrax and leather.

It is a part of fragrant pair along with edition for men. Available as 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum. Memoir Woman was created by Daniel Maurel and Dorothee Piot.

Cardamom Mandarin Orange Pink Pepper Wormwood

Clove Incense Pepper Woodsy Notes Jasmine Rose White Flowers

Musk French labdanum oak moss Styrax Leather Castoreum

L'Agent

Memoir Woman Fragrance Reviews

1 tiny spray on my hand - and it explodes into my face - oh dear!
But after 20 minutes Memoir has calmed down and I start to smell a great insence note mixed with leather, clove, cardamom and labdanum. Very unisex to me, I must say. A great scent for cooler weather - with the spicy notes, leather and clove - in hot weather I think this will be cloying.

JMSG
JMSG

Immediately I got the "dark fantasy fruit" that a reviewer noted below, and for hours it stained whatever other notes might have been present. The overall complexity and depth of the scent were immediately apparent, but to my nose, the fruit overtook all.

However: it made a positive impression on several bystanders, both male and female. The sillage and longevity are far-reaching in both space and time. And it did change over its many hours, with the drydown emerging far less fruity and more woody/musky.

Amouage Memoir packs a Dita von Teese kind of wallop-- juicy, carnal glamour. Very Black Swan. Its obverse is Boucheron, a blonde Valkyrie of a scent, almost disdainful of sexual love.

sarahjbond
sarahjbond

I have been a fan of other Amouage perfumes for a while but only just tried Memoir. It's magnificent.

It conjures up visions of elegant women in 1950s Paris in immaculate evening gowns with long black gloves being driven down the Champs Elysees for secret assignations with mysterious men.... It shouts danger and mystery whilst tempting its followers down to the underworld. [email protected] a Cocteau film in a bottle..

on the noze
on the noze

I think the main players in Memoir are civet and smoke.
Intense and unique. I wish I bought this instead of Lyric woman.

Performance is BEAST and that's 2 smalls sprays from a 2ml sample.
Amouage are renowned for their 'heavy delivery' spray nozzles,

I'd say, 'strictly one' spray!

Love Amouage quality! LOVE Memoir!
* edit, lasted 20 hours PLUS on my skin. Sprayed it at night, smelt great all day, right up to the 24 hour mark. It even overpowered other perfumes I applied on the following day!
Yes performance is remarkably amazing
This is the longest lasting Amouage in the 'woman' range.

Ticks all my boxes.

Vlud
Vlud

Memoir woman opens up with a warm infusion of spices that dry down into a sweet, dark and complex incense accord. This is a dark and daring fragrance for a confident woman.

Great performance and the quality of the ingredients is excellent.

LadyRuby
LadyRuby

I just started exloring the world of Amouage, as i am trying to uprage my fragrance to a niche one.
Bought samplers 6 of them, planning to go in for more, since the brand is absolutely gorgeous!

Memoir was the first I tried out out of the bunch. It is a warm womanly scent that makes me having such a demure mood. I am in love with it.
It starts of sweet, and quite wintery scent, that reminds me of (don't bash me for this but..) a Christmas fare in my hometown. It smells like plums, punch and warmth. I know there is no plum note in the perfume, i presumed it was the honeyflowers and the cinnamon blending with my skin that gave the impression...
The fragrance settles down to a sweet and delicious incense with a swirling background of other notes on my skin after two hours.
The "pluminess' returns every once in a while, and it wrapes me up in a fuzzy blanket of scent.

What i love the most is, it shows different sides to it the closer your nose egts to the skin. Further away it is a richer and more mature version of Hypnotic poison by Dior, but as you get closer it unforld into swinrling notes of flowery notes sweetness and spices.
It is truly intoxicating, and it lasts. I got 7-9 hours out of it without retouch and any extreme changes to the scent itself.
Gorgeous, I'll be getting it for chirstmas this year ;)

evelynave
evelynave

Even now, after several years of smelling them, I'm often slow to roll around to the love side with Amouage fragrances. Almost without exception, I first smell them and think, What's the big deal? Eventually, I tend to fall hard, wondering what *wasn't* the big deal and how I could have possibly missed it for so long.

Memoir is one of my favorites, and true to form I sat with it for a year before I picked up the small atomizer I'd been given and was suddenly blown away. It's rich but mellow, possibly more caramelized than some would like, sitting firmly, to me, in an androgynous zone that makes it perfect for anyone who likes an emphatic scent and probably a poor choice for anyone who likes a declarative side of the fence.

Maybe I'm alone in this but it reminds me a lot of Joop Homme - as Joop Homme used to be or could have been, without the plastic effrontery of that 1990's atomic fragrance. I often get compliments when I wear this scent; not just "you smell good" but "what is that, where did you get it, how can I get it," etc.

Soofiya
Soofiya

if I wanted to blindbuy an amouage for myself,memoir was my last choice.I'm not into chypers,notes list is unfamiliar and kind of frightening for me and I've heard lots of comments like:memoir is too heavy and arabic,it's bitter and manly and whatsoever from my friends.I even didn't like to try it and I have to thank my friend that sent me a sample of it among others
I'm not good at describing chypres because I'm new to lots of these notes.I've never had or liked something with dominant cypress or insence or leather or clove.Trying amouage memoir was one of biggest surprises in my perfume-sampling life.IT WAS A LOVE AT FIRST SNIFF FOR ME!!
it smells very different from my usual faves and it deeply reminds me men cologne's.maybe because I'm used to experience most of these notes in my hubby's wardrobe not in mine.it's dark.I can get what other comments mean by dominant green note,yes but it's very dark green,almost blackish,so don't think of something vegagative and herbal(I hate such green,fresh scents).it's very spicy but don't think of dry powdery pepper that gives me a sorethroat.spices are very well blended hear.all of them,so memoir doesn't smell like kitchen's cabinet.spices are melted in it's balsamic base so there is no irritaiting dryness.it's balmy and oh so deliciously spicy.florals aren't the main player here but I can detect rose,and I agree with below review.it somehow reminds coco chanel but I like memoir better.leather is dominant on me but this smokey leather doesn't smell like burnt tyre.leather is warm,soft and envloping like human skin.I can't tell about different phases and changes of notes.not yet since it's deep and complex and it needs several wearings to conclude,for now I can just say it has a warm,deep and sensual base with an adorable oakmoss.memoir is so well blended and balanced that nothing seems too much in it.I also feel there is something dark and fruity here,like in dior poison or rihanna rouge.something plummish but sounds like my nose has tricked me
longevity is great and sillage is crazy speacially in first hour.although I find a seductive femme fetal scent,it's also wearable for men
I have to try it more and after my sample ends I'm gonna decide to buy a bottle of it or not.my biggest concern is about costareum and I don't want to repeat my bad experience with amouage fate.my skin can't get along with that note and it smells really bad on me.I hope this note doesn't show itself on my skin when I fullwear it.if costareum doesn't bother me I can say I looove it and am gonna save to buy a bottle
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

MrsPress
MrsPress

Reminds me of Coco Chanel with smoke and a slightly stronger labdanum note. I don't particularly like Coco, and I like this even less. I am very glad I sampled this instead of blind buying. Must say it performs quite well, it is quality, it just isn't to my liking.

Edit: I think this, in the dry down, would be much better on a man.

Edit: I have grown to like this (after the opening, which I still do not care for). The problem is that I think I may be somewhat anosmic to it. Seriously, the more I wear it, the less I can smell it. If that changes I may get a FB, but if I cannot smell it for more than a couple of hours, especially when I don't like the first 30-45 minutes of it, there's no point in buying it!

Duskfall
Duskfall

What a striking scent!

I obtained a generous sample of Memoir Woman for a special occasion and I must say it is the perfect companion for a long black evening gown.

Memoir is a seamlessly blended dark and green chypre with a very prominent leather note. I feel like a mysterious witch when I wear it. I really don't get the similarities with L'Agent, which is a fabulous scent too, but Memoir is greener, deeper and more imposing. It reminds me of Magie Noire (the way it was back in the 80's); not necessarily similar per se, but they give out a same kind of vibe. Memoir might not be a sexy scent in the modern sense. It's not girly, flirty, sweet or cuddly. Instead, Memoir seduces with power and danger! It will attract fearless confident men (who can also wear it). ;D

The performance is top-notch, as can be expected.

EDIT: Wearing it again and it's so gorgeous! I'm seriously considering of investing in a full bottle at some point (even though the price is ridiculous and well beyond what I consider reasonable for a perfume). Addictive stuff.

Angelica 000
Angelica 000

I'm using a sample sent by a close friend...boy, does she know my taste! This is enervating, complex, but not pretentious, deep green & deliciously spicy.
The wormwood permeates all layers, but this is an advantage rather than a take over. I won't go note for note, others have covered that very well,suffice to say this is an intriguing & alluring fragrance, with very good staying power. Yes, I'm saving up...

Fluffyandpuffy
Fluffyandpuffy

Well the opening was nice but then became very smokey, I mean just alot of smoke. I am reminded of being out all night at a Bon fire party and my clothes smelled of wood smoke.

margaritatee
margaritatee

hmm. not really ... i enjoyed reading the reviews here, and thought i might love Memoir, but the sample kicks in with such a sharp load of pepper and honey flowers mixed with bitter incense, that, woah,i almost wanted to scrub it. ... ive had trouble with amouage openings before though,and know they can lead onto wonderful alternate universes, so ... i waited. hmm.. it all softens of course and sweet, dusty leather emerges, but ... i still wasnt really happy wearing it. it reminds me a wee bit of Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme circa 1998, citrusy pepper and smoke ... which i loved on a glamorous man at that time but ... yeah, i guess ive moved on. this one is just not for me.

youngyong
youngyong

I adore Memoir ... this is intriguingly sexy! I adore spices, wood, smoke, leathery, this ticks all the boxes. The package is divine, and the fragrance itself is masterpiece...after this, I got introduced to other incredible fragrance from Amouage. Can I say - I feel like paying a visit to Muscat because of Amouage!

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

I never intended to test any Amouage as the price is so high. I know that perfume is an art form for some, but mainly I just want to smell good. However, I was sent a sample of this and was absolutely stunned by the quality. This was rich, big and beautiful as I imagine perfumes used to be when I hear people lamenting pre-1990s formulae (which is basically when my nose met perfume).

This is complex, with the coca cola aldehydes that work as they do in Bois des Iles, along with soft leather, florals and spices. There are cooler notes - incense I can identify, the wormwood I could not have named - that add a green note and a sense of space that stop this becoming too dense an oriental.

The sillage is lovely - expansive but not overwhelming - and the longevity and quality are fantastic. I love this but it didn't make my heart skip a beat, so it is still won't be added to my collection. But if the notes look good to you and you need something big, dark and a little fragile, I strongly recommend this one.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

No, not Poison, nor L'Agent. Not at all. Well, I guess if you stretch your imagination, there is some minor similarity, but not much.

I have and love Poison. Had and liked L'Agent. This is a whole different ballgame. Memoir, to me, is in a class of its own, and it is the only Amouage that I've seriously fallen for.

This must smell a bit different on everyone. On me (non-magnetic, snap on cap bottle) I get little leather. The leather is black and smooth and supple. There is a distinct sweetness, some fantasy dark fruit. A discrete touch of incense, and just the right amount of cloves. Perfectly arranged fragrance, I think.

Memoir has none of the harsh smokiness of L'Agent. Nor any of the wonderful Tuberose of Poison.

This is a stand by itself fragrance, one of my top favorites. Lingers forever on me.

Solar Girl
Solar Girl

So many beautiful comments and I sincerely apologise for writing a bad one, but we need them both, this is why this page is here.

Memoir was my first and only scrubber. I can take almost anything on my hand and patiently wait till it develops and shows other/better sides, but this one didn't make it. And I tried it again and the same happened.

People say dark and mysterious... I had vintage Posion that this perfume is compared to but to me they have absolutely nothing in common. Poison is (was) romantic and seductive, and Memoir is scary smell of vampires and witches and creatures from the dark side.

When I smell it all I see is Transilvania, night, grof Drakula's castle surrounded by swamps and cemetery, and the smell inside the castle, the humidity, mold, the dead and vampires.. that is how Memoir smells to me.

Not for a blind buy.

małgorzata.kupiec
małgorzata.kupiec

COCO Chanel EDP meets bulgarian rose. The best of all Amouages I tried so far, sweet smooth, elegant and not overwhelming. Drydown similar to Vanille Inscence by Atelir Cologne. Good stuff, but bit pricy.

najgirl
najgirl

I am falling in love with this fragrance but it wasn't love at first sniff - this is one that had to grow on me. It is a dark, sweet, mysterious and very bitter scent. It's spicy, floral, musky... I do detect hints of leather but not a soft creamy suede-like leather (just the tinge of a leather-like tobacco note). The incense in this is unusual in that there isn't much smoke (instead it's bitter and dry), quite different from what I expected. I'm not a huge fan of smoky incense, so this is a great thing. I love Amouage, and Memoir is one of my favorites.

Strange_Alchemy
Strange_Alchemy

This is SEXY.

There is much sweetness here, but this is no celebrity sugar bomb. It's chewy sweet tobacco and leather and flowers that dry down to mildly masculine (to my nose) incense. As ever for Amouage, beautifully blended.

Sillage is moderate (2 sprays of the EDP), but it lasts all day, and long into the night while getting better and better.

I love it for myself, but long to smell it on a man.

astan
astan

ما یه منطقه ای توی ایران بزرگ شدیم که عطرها و روایح محلی زیادی توش ساخته میشه ؛ یه سری امام زاده هم اطراف شهر هستن که اون مکانها هم همیشه بوی عطرای مخصوص خودشون رو میده که اونجا به وفور استفاده میشه
سایر مناطق هم با توجه به طبیعت گیاهی و سبز این نواحی، معمولا به صورت سنتی از همین طبیعت عطرای خیلی زیاد و متنوعی میسازن
از این رو از همون بچگی هزاران رایحه به بینی بنده برخورد کرده و حالا که با خیلی از برندهای عطرسازی که به نیش معروفن آشنا شدیم خیلی جالبه واسم که 90 درصد روایح صدها عطری که از این برندها تست کردم بویی تازه نبودن واسم و بوی نظیرشون رو قبلا شنیدم

اما بنظرم توی کشور های صنعتی و اروپایی این قضیه صدق نمیکنه بلکه اونجا تنها همین کمپانی های عطرسازی هستن که واسشون این کار رو میکنن و با تبلیغ هایی که پشتشون هست توی سایر قاره ها صدا میکنن و عطراشون به فروش میرسه

حالا برسیم به این عطر ، ممویر وومن! پیرو همین صحبت هایی که بالا انجام دادم می خوام بگم که این عطر دقیقا بوی یکی از عطرای مشهور امامزاده ای توی این منطفه رو داره! با این تفاوت که توی شهر بخاطر اینکه از سالیان بلند گذشته این عطر رو مردم آبادی کنار امامزاده و بعضا زیارت کننده هایی که از مناطق دیگه میومدن به وفور و اصطلاحا کیلویی استفاده میکردن دیگه جوک راجع بهش ساخته شده و به تمسخر گرفته میشه

من یه مدت با خودم فکر میکردم این عطر با این تفاصیل چطور اینقدر تولیدش توی همون منطقه ادامه پیدا کرده و به وفور بینشون استفاده میشه

که الان با ورود به یک منبعی مثل فراگرانتیکا تا حدودی متوجه این امر شدم! پاسخ چیزی نیست جز محبوبیت این بو ها در بین عامه مردم
و متوجه شدم چرا عطرای امام زاده ای هنوز تولیدشون ادامه داره و استفاده میکنن ، البته اگه هم محبوب نبود که دیگه از یه جایی به بعد تولیدشون متوقف میشد توی همون محلها و کسی استفاده نمیکرد.

تا اینجا مشکلی نیست اما چیزی که ناراحت کننده ست اینه که عطرایی که ما به وفور توی همین ایران به صورت طبیعی درست میکنن و بوشون رو بارها شنیدیم و از خیلیاشون حتی با تمسخر یاد میکنیم از بس چیپ و همه گیره رو این کمپانی های خارجی با قیمت نزدیک یک ملیون تومن تو پاچه مردمی که یحتمل فقط بوی مواد شیمیایی و هوا تو حافظه بویاییشونه میکنن
یا شایدم برعکس باشه و این جادوی بوی این عطرهای حرمی و امامزاده ای یا گلاب ادویه ای ما باشه که سرپرایزشون میکنه و عنان از کف میدن بخاطرش :) ، غافل از اینکه یه مناطقی توی این دنیا همون بو بصورت کیلویی استفاده میشه

به هر حال این وسط کمپانی های عطر سازی پول خوبی به جیب میزنن

البته یه مطلب دیگه اینه که توی همین ایران ما که از ادویه جات به وفور توی غذاها استفاده میشه و شامه ما از همون کودکی با خیلی از روایح ادویه ای آشنا شده ، و از طرفی خودش محل تولید یه سری از منابع در صنعت عطرسازی هست (مثل گل محمدی و زعفران) ولی تولید به منظورهایی دیگه نه بخاطر عطرسازی ؛ طبیعیه که ما با خیلی از روایح مختلف آشنا باشیم و بخاطر برخورد روزمره مون با اونها واسمون عادی شده باشن
اما جالبه توی نظرات این دوستان خارجی میخوندم، برای نمونه واسه ی تهیه زعفرون اصل (چون اونجا اسانسهای شبیه زعفرونم زیاد وجود داره) مثلا باید به داروخانه مراجعه کنن! درحالیکه خیلی از خانواده ها تو ایران ممکنه هر روز توی غذاشون به عنوان یه جزء اصلی زعفرون استفاده بشه (البته منظورم این نیست که رایحه فوق العاده زعفرون رو درکنار رایحه ادویه های ارزون قرار بدم، فقط قصدم یه مثال واسهء بیان درصد آشنایی ما و روزمره شدن یه سری عطرها واسمون و مقایسه اون با غربی ها درمورد این دست روایح بود)

خلاصه همه این عوامل دست به دست هم داده که این شرکتای عطرسازی با گذاشتن قیمتای نامنصفانه رو عطراشون و سوء استفاده از یه سری ناآگاهی ها و همینطور قدرت تبلیغاتی که حرف اول رو توی دنیای امروز میزنه سود کلانی ببرن

mrs.hart
mrs.hart

*****
wow wow wow - a stunning perfume and imo the best from amouage. bold and elegant, almost rough in its intense sensuality - black leather, intoxicating incense, warm spices, carnivorous flowers, all blended together perfectly. makes me feel dark and decadent, strong, sexual. i don't think this is a very feminine perfume, quite the contrary it leans unisex. there's both class and austerity to it, but its darkness is pervasive and its sexuality of the controversial kind. what's even more surprising is how nostalgic it gets at times, almost gloomy. this is a creature of the night, longing for its lost love and innocence, filling up with darkness and exploring the shadows.

mylancome
mylancome

It does has the Dior Poison style. Poison is exotic flowers, vanilla and sandalwood, Memoir is leathery wood. Both has the similar dark sensuality. Meanwhile, Memoir can be wear by men.

A perfume for business occasion and royal meetings.

Farouhaa
Farouhaa

Amazing perfume and nothing compares. Major compliments when I wear this!

هذا جميل جدا!!!

aschiffm
aschiffm

starts off extremely dark supple leathery, clove-y, and incense-y. it's something i should loveee, but it's pretty simple in my opinion. while it's a scent that definitely smells good, i don't think it's too intriguing as a perfume yet. it does soon morph into a smooth mystical fresh and smooth green wormwood and grows a certain sweetness, it's blended so well..just wish there was more of a loud shock. it resonates in a warm soft cloud. its also a little powdery as it wears.

oktober
oktober

It's one of those perfumes that works swell on smokers. :D I don't get the hype around this frangrance at all.
Dirty leather like on an old, overused leather sofa-this is the strongest note. Than some artemisia, some black pepper with a hint of cloves, some dirty pavement, some paper money smell... the cardamom gets too lost, it's like a cardamom infusion gone bad, and very diluted thruout, gives the feeling of ashtray stench- does no favours to our dirty, old leather sofa.
Like a leather sofa in a very bad bar, sofa that was actually picked up from the street, just dusted a bit, and than put there.

milkyway
milkyway

For some reason I dont get very much incense on my skin. I get cherry jam and black tea smell with a bit of rubber. It dries down to a pleasant creamy rose and oud.

Its a little old fashioned (in a good way). To be fair, I believe that it may develop much better in warm weather. Its very cold and snowy where I am today.

swade
swade

I thought I would really like this at first but after awhile, it started to remind me of those home perms my Mom would give me as a kid - specifically the conditioner you use after taking out the curlers. I want to try it again though and I'll update my review if my impression changes.

Update: Tried it again and really tried to like it but in the end... get out the curlers, we're getting a perm!

Old Herbaceous
Old Herbaceous

Wow!! This is not my usual type of fragrance, as I normally gravitate toward green florals, but I was excited to try it from a lovely gift coffret of six mini Amouage perfumes. Memoir is amazing. Many reviewers have said it reminds them of the original Poison. I used to wear Poison in the 1980s and this is much, much better. I do understand that impression, though, but to me Poison was very plummy and I smell no fruit in Memoir other than the spicy orange in the opening.

As soon as I dabbed Memoir on my wrist, I got a strong whiff of cardamom and orange, with a herbal undercurrent from the wormwood, aka artemisia. The small dabs on my wrists left a slight sheen of oil, showing a high concentration of perfume essence. A little goes a long way! This would be easy to overdo, which would be a shame as its powerhouse sillage could overwhelm an appreciation of its nuances.

The orange vanishes very early but the cardamom lingers. Next come the incense and clove, mostly incense on my skin, freshened up by the floral notes. I can't distinguish most of those, other than jasmine, but the combination is gorgeous. The incense is the strongest note on me at this stage, followed by the combination of jasmine and clove. A rose peeks out once in a while but on me, it comes and goes.

I am writing this as it dries down; it is becoming more woodsy but the incense is still dominant, which I am enjoying. The wood notes have a pleasantly smoky quality which suits fall and winter weather. The longer this dries down, the more the styrax emerges, with balsamic, resinous tones of spices, smoke, incense and just a touch of leather. The balsamic aspect is only slightly sweet, not cloying at all.

I am so under-dressed for Memoir right now! Wearing it, I feel as if I should have just come from a beauty salon with nails and hair done, and about to put on a fabulous dress and good jewelry for an expensive dinner out or elegant society party.

This is a very high-quality perfume. Not sure it's worth paying the usual high price for a large bottle but this could easily become the signature scent for the right person, so maybe it would be money well spent.

stylenurse
stylenurse

Amouage Memoir Woman is the darkest and most regal perfume I've ever had the the pleasure of smelling. This could have been worn by a queen during a very dark period in time. The words that come to mind are gothic, baroque, and medieval. It smells of heavy leather, absinthe/wormwood, incense and some other dark magic that sends you into an ominous black storm cloud of fragrance. It will engulf you. One spray will send the dark magic of this perfume around a room. Everyone will smell you and no one will have a clue what you are wearing. It lasts all day. A character you may imagine wearing this would be Maleficent. An occasion to wear this may be during a seance. Just kidding, I love this dark beauty and I wear this any day of the week. Wear it cautiously as it works in mysterious ways.

lapioggianelpineto1977
lapioggianelpineto1977

I tried memoir because I love L'Agent and got curious by the fact that memoir is the only perfume listed in the reminds me of list for l'agent...well, besides the fact that they don't smell similar at all, only a slight resemblance at the very end of memoir's drydown...memoir is, compared to l'agent, a true masterpiece...it is like comparing the average art of an experienced decently talented, but still not complete artist to the art of Caravaggio, Bernini, Raffaello..... I am in love

edlih
edlih

I completely agree with MARCO CHAU, vintage poison is my signature, at the moment I wear memoir, it has nothing to do with poison.. I like memoir but I love vintage poison quit a bit more, and there is nothing in memoir that makes me think of poison.
For Amouage (at least today,, because I have noticed that sometimes the same perfumes gives me on some days a different impression) I prefer Lyric and Honour and than Memoir.
But for me none beats my vintage Poison.

mrsg34
mrsg34

This is the most beautiful,enchanting fragrance I have ever had the pleasure to smell! It has knocked my beloved Shalimar parfum initial off the signature spot! A lot of perfumes I tend to find the opening harsh until they settle but this one is beautiful from start to finish.I find this a beautiful floral,smoky incense just mesmorising.

deadidol
deadidol

Memoir Man’s one of my favorites from the line, and probably sits somewhere in my top ten overall (depending on what day you catch me on). As with many Amouage scents, the Male / Female designation is nonsense and either can be worn by either gender without the world coming to an end. Memoir Woman resembles the male analog to a degree, but it cheers things up (not by much) and brings in a touch of sweetness. It’s as mercurial as Memoir Man, but it starts with great jasmine bouquet and some candied notes and places them over the masculine’s green wormwood-incense accord. The result is a dark, dense, semi-sweet floral that maintains all the sulky fun of the male counterpart. It does start to smell like Dior’s Poison after a while, but that’s a good thing in my book. This would lend itself well to modern masculine tastes as it has a good amount of sweetness to it, and it might be a viable alternative for those who find Memoir Man to be too aromatic. I think it’s great; totally over-the-top with great depth and drama.

stephgee
stephgee

The most beautiful perfume I ever tried. Deep, mysterious and ethereal. Lovely. I don't think I'll ever get fed up with it.

juji
juji

This is the first time trying Memoir, from a large sample sent to me by the lovely Shimmersmom! Honestly I do see the comparison to Poison but this is far smokier and darker. Cloves and sweet incense, the cardamom and richness are beautiful. I'm waiting for the Drydown to decide fully how much I love this. Quite frankly, most perfumes lately have an acrid, screechy, "bad men's cologne" vibe with my chemistry while drying down but so far, none of that is here. I almost love it but am reserving the final decision for later. Just beautiful so far!

Germany
Germany

I really like memoir , but after wearing it for a few days I decided not to buy it. My only Amougae will be Jubilation, which to me remains the winner of this house.

Memoir is a beautiful, dark , big party scent to me. It's big, it's frutiy , it's vermented ,leathery smokey , cinnamon and spice ,,,, Something I would be happy to own if given to me , but not to run out and pay 300 plus dollar for something I would only wear to dinners and functions. ,,,and then , let's be honest , most people would just think Iam wearing Poison anyways , so I amd tempted to maybe repurchase poison, my so loved party perfume from the late 80 s. ,,,,,, but do I really want to smell like poison again ? Not really ,,,been there done that , i will move on and leave the 80 s memories to were they belong , and with them MEMOIR

pravda48
pravda48

I tried a sample of this (without looking at the notes) and my initial thoughts went like this:

"Spiced apple peels, very smooth, dark incense. (45min later) Touches of green, kind of warm/cool spice profile behind all the sort of mulled cider incense vibe."

I can only guess the spiced apple impression is from thick, quality rose essence and pink pepper/cardamom/clove on me. It's delightful, it's NOTHING like Poison on me (which I find choking plum/incense, with a very heavy 'purpleness' that feels super synthetic). It does share a smokiness boosted by bright pink pepper and background spice/resins with L'agent (which I have/love). This one has more brightness and depth and a fruitiness that are lacking in L'agent. The opening of this one's gorgeous at once while L'agent's kind of sharp and I have to wait for her to get the temper tantrum out of her system before getting close.

10/10, beautiful if you like feminine, fruity sweet incense. Highly recommended.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Others have said it already--it smells VERY much like Dior's original Poison. That's a good thing, as Poison is a fantastic perfume, and so is Memoir Woman.

It starts out dark, so dark! I just think of the color black when I first smell this. After it mellows out on the skin, it takes on a woody incense profile with nuances of honey and clove cigarettes with some kind of orchard fruit--mulled plum and peach? And the perfume is not pitch black after some time, but perhaps black mixed with amber and fine gold sparkles.

I see comparisons to L'Agent, but I personally don't see much relation other than they are both dark and spicy. Memoir clearly has fruit, and L'Agent does not at all. I find L'Agent to be closer to the new Opium.

This version is quite beautiful, very intense and gothic. I seriously hope I get the pleasure of smelling the older formula someday, as I would not doubt that it is even better.

susana75
susana75

gorgeous perfume, reminds me of Dior poison 80s version , its not for every woman its for attractive sexy posh lady think Monica Bellucci, love it.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

oh wow... this is my first time testing an amouage fragrance and so far i *love* this.

at first i am having trouble picking out notes (not always a strong point), but this is definitely a leathery-floral-incense, with the mandarin orange staying present for awhile. after being on my skin for a bit, i get some peppery-smokiness as well. i think i also get the cardamom and some greenery from the wormwood. after awhile this is mostly incense, spices and florals. it's beautiful and so enveloping. it reminds me of dark rain drenched streets in a city at night. at least, that's when i'd be most inclined to wear this for whatever reason.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Memoir Woman is a smoky-incense chypre which opens with humid austere flowers, red pepper, aldehydes, benzoin, green notes, powder, a hint of synthetic leathers (and castoreum?) on the base. A nostalgic and dusty scent permeated with a fog of smoky woods, artificial incense and a pleasant resinous-pollen accord all over, with the usual range of nuances from animalic to herbal-mossy, but... all smelling just "ok", as much elegant and well executed, as honestly a bit fulsome and boring, with also some unpleasant, slightly chemical aftertaste and nuances here and there. It smells decent overall, even good perhaps, but also quite dull and without the quality one shall expect at this price range (I know one should judge the juice for what it smells, but I can't not consider also the price and the pretenses: if they're high, so shall be the expectations).

5,5-6/10

Tiger84
Tiger84

The opening is very Poison like on me as well. Like the original Poison unchained, mixed with some weird dirt (the way your hands smell after spending some time on the public transport). Poison is the good part, the underground handrail smell is the bad part. But the bad part is soon gone, and the good part is mixed with smoke and absinth which gets more and more beautiful as it unfolds.

christianne1

Marco, there are many ways that a perfume can remind someone of another. Fragrance is complex and the way it works on the brain even more so.

It doesn't mean one smells just like something else. For me, Memoir reminds me of Poison in how the original Poison made me FEEL (when it was newly released in 1985). It was larger than life. It was HUGE, big extravagant perfume and it gave me a certain feeling that can't be explained. Memoir gives me the same feeling. It is almost impossible to explain, only something that can be felt.

I wish people would allow others to experience scent in their own way. And if something reminds them of something else, it doesn't mean it is impossible and has no basis or that they smelled a fake. You may not be reminded of another but that doesn't mean someone else can't be. There is usually a reason why several people say that a perfume reminds them of something else. Because it does. For whatever reason.

fuggerone
fuggerone

great balmy wood very easily wearable by men!
unisex really!

lovescents999
lovescents999

I recently became a proud owner of this amazing scent. It was an instant love! When I wear it, I imagine myself sitting under a gorgeous tree, during the most beautiful time of Fall, leaves falling around me smelling so deep and intoxicating while I'm drinking cognac and eating dates. Loooove it!

Marco Chau

I seriously suspect that anyone who claimed this fragrance reminded them of Poison had to have smelled either a fake Memoir or a fake Poison. I am wearing Memoir Woman and my 1987 vintage Poison side by side now and really cannot find any similarity except that both of them are absolutely gorgeous.

nanomira
nanomira

It is unusual, warm, smoky, soapy and very woody. In fact, it is too woody for my taste. I can hardly imagine wearing this perfume every day. There is also something fruity, interestingly enough, given that the only fruit is mandarin orange. The flowers combined with woody notes make this perfume soapy, like a wardrobe of an old lady. :-)

darksome
darksome

Mix:
- heavy, dark leather,
- incense,
- ripe dark plums (from vintage EDP Dior Poison),
- warm nutty notes and some spicy cloves.

Add:
- excellent longevity,
- sillage
- and an expensive, deep, but kind, generous and warm attitude.

Voila. I will never forget you, Memoir Woman.

P.S. if you are a lover of scents like that, try maybe Tubereuse 3 Animale from Histoires de Parfums. It's similar heavy and deep, but way less spicy.

hanson26
hanson26

Love this, but I agree with other reviewers that there is nothing chypre about this. It's all spicy, balmy, oriental goodness. I'm finding that I really like the combination of leather and incense. The butteriness of the leather tempers the dryness of incense very nicely. I'm not getting the comparisons to Poison but I do get the comparison to L'agent, they are very similar actually. Not similar enough that if you have one, you have no reason to get the other, but close enough that my $30 bottle of L'agent is enough to hold me over for now. :-)

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Surprisingly addictive.... possibly even worth the price tag.

I did not love Memoir immediately, but on a certain rainy spring day it came fully into it's own! Memoir also has Good sillage and longevity, a quality I've come to see as rare.

Fans of Habanita and Tabu can consider this one Worth a try!

Femme en Blanc
Femme en Blanc

Like a cross between Jean Desprez' Bal a Versailles and Cacharel's Lou Lou. This is a femme fatale lady in a slinky black dress smoking a cigarette in a bottle.

guest_luna rebel
guest_luna rebel

After wearing and appreciating Memoir enough times that it has actually become as close to a "signature fragrance" for me as possible, I feel that it is my rightful duty as a perfume lover to give it a proper updated review.

Up until my encounter with Memoir, a majority of my perfume collection consisted mainly of blind buys from discount stores such as Ross. At the time, I did not understand why someone would pay over $100 for a fragrace. I bought Memoir because I saw many references to it on posts around the forum and the bottle looked classy and gorgeous. I knew nothing about the house of Amouage, nor was I understanding exactly why I was paying such a high price for a fragrance. To me, it was a gamble and I wanted to see why Amouage had such loyal followers.

When I received my Memoir in the mail, I was stunned. I had not smelled anything like this fragrance before. It was intoxicating yet strange and new to my nose and I did not know what to think of it. Smokey notes, a strong tangerine, and warm spices....I was confused because this was not a scent I was used to. It was simply too wierd for my untrained nose but somehow I still liked it (not loved it). I was simply astounded by how long Memoir seemed to last on my skin. I could still smell it a day later (to this day, Amouage remains the only house which makes fragrances that last this long on my skin).

So I put Memoir away for a while, thinking of it as a special ocassion fragrance. However, something kept calling me back to that strange alluring smell. I began wearing Memoir more often just because I wanted to smell that smoky tangerine incense. It became a fragrance so distinct that even in a purse which mingled with the scents of 10 other perfumes, I could still overwhelmingly smell Memoir while failing to identify everything else.

Memoir is a special scent if you allow it to be. I didn't appreciate it much when I first bought it, but now it is a perfume which I feel is *my* scent. It is one of those perfumes no one has mistaken for another perfume. Something about this scent is very personal, seductive, and addicting to me. If I could describe myself in terms of perfume, I would use Memoir to describe me.

This is not one of those "rave" reviews commenting on how great a fragrance is. Memoir can be strange and tempermental. It is beautiful but because of its unique composition (which defies the mainstream perfume trends) and heavy smoky notes it is not exactly a crowd pleaser in modern times. I do not think that everyone should buy Memoir, nor is it a safe blind buy. You either appreciate it, grow to appreciate it, or simply find it impossible to enjoy such a fragrance. Memoir can be grand and luxurious or dark and mysterious. It has many different facets and personalities.

I enjoy my fun gourmand scents, but Memoir is a different creature altogether. I must be in a contemplative mood to wear it. Despite it's slight tangerine fruitiness, it is a rather serious scent.

Safe blind buy? No. Is it worth the price tag? That's for you to decide. As for me, when my Memoir runs out it will undoubtedly be replaced.

Vahagn
Vahagn

Interesting incident happened with me ...I went to the perfume shop for gifts for the lovely ladies . I was in a hurry ! And when I was painfully thinking what to buy, suddenly appeared at the corner Amouage. I saw a black bottle Memoir Amouage. " Oh , let me try Memoir for MEN !!!, they say it is "sad", interesting perfume .. " I thought.
I smelled from bottle. What mysterious perfume )))) I sprayed on the wristes and 2 small zilch on clothing. Mmmm ... Very rich perfume !
And when I went out into the street , after 15-20 minutes I feel that some fruity and honey, smoky flavor strangles me. It simply pursues me . How can I to get rid of this fragrance on the street , how to wash away .. ? But somehow it seems more feminine ? ? ! Oh my God, I suddenly remembered that with hurry took thick and short black bottle-it is a Women's Memoir!!!! Horror ... !! And all the time on the street and in the church I was tormenting and at the same time laughing imagining my strange image by side in honey- plum harsh perfume )))) ) Yes ..this perfume is rich, with higher quality, but would not buy this for my girlfriend, even my mother. For me the Memoir Woman Amouage associated with artsy lady , dressed in gold, in black clothes with bright makeup . That's it ... And now you can beat me slippers ))))

christianne1

Not since the mid 80s when I first tried Dior Poison has a perfume felt so large and all consuming. I still remember the first time I put on Poison and I will also remember the first time I put on Memoir. I literally felt like I had been put in a time machine and transported back to 1985. This fragrance is MASSIVE and MEMORABLE.

Like most of you, I sample and purchase perfume on a regular basis. I try new ones daily. Sometime multiple times a day. I like the expensive stuff so I am used to quality and potency. But Amouage is on a whole 'nother scale and living in its own galaxy. Usually I am offended by prices grazing the $300 mark and beyond but this is one time I get it. Amouage is packing a serious punch in their fragrances. They are dense, rich and GRAND. One spray will last many hours and would clear out a room for an hour. Amouage means business that is for certain. I see the comparisons to Cedre but there is no comparison to me. There is a vague similarity because of shared notes but it is like comparing a pine tree to a Sequoia. Cedre would tremble in Memoir's presence.

I am captivated by Memoir but something feels wrong for me personally. I am fascinated by it but I think I would feel like I needed to doll myself up or something to pull this off. You know, get my eyebrows waxed or something. This is BIG GLAMOUR - industrial sized - and I feel almost powerless in its presence. I feel the need lower my head and bow down and curtsy to Memoir. She is royalty. But I am far too meek for this much presence.

AUNZBOX
AUNZBOX

The opening for this perfume remind me of Dior Poison.

It is good fragrance,but compare with the price. I prefer Poison Dior.

Michelina
Michelina

This one doesn’t simply waft, it oozes through the air around you. I’d pour this on my pancakes.

Potent, but not overbearing, Memoir Woman intimates a strong sense-of-self: powerful and patient, a languid lady who knows exactly what she wants - but what’s the rush? It’s sultry, dark, and somehow coolly intelligent, potentially intimidating, but not at all uninviting. There’s a soft heart to it, a taste of sweetness (quite possibly the styrax), and a rather persuasive come-worship-at-my-temple breath of incense.

Lasts all day with the perfect amount of reach; suddenly, Madame, you’ve sprouted tentacles, and the fish they still come a-flockin’. ;)

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

God, this is gorgeous! I throw up my hands when trying to describe this scent. I have no idea what I'm smelling, just that I love it. It lasts forever and saves the best part for last. The drydown doesn't start until about 10 hours in on my skin, but when it does, I can't keep from constant sniffing even though there's really no need. Two spritzes and I'm hanging in a cloud all day. One of those perfumes where I keep thinking "Damn, I smell good!" It's creamy and sweet and just the essence of warm sensuality. Easily the sexiest perfume I have among the many bottles, vials and samplers I have.

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

Memoir Woman is first. almost neck and neck ,Lyric Woman is one of the best female fragrances. It is more than just a perfume. It is the caviar of perfumes. Memoir Woman, is truly the seductress in the Amouage family. Its Kin, Lyric Woman is also very attractive, Memoir is the sister with a little bit more intense makeup. I have not found a perfume that has surpassed these. Pure perfection from top, heart to base. This is not for the humble. Memoir Woman is a head turner, no doubt.

Then Epic woman, Its the best incense perfume past and present. There is something special and appealing, can be unisex. As much as I enjoy Epic and its glory, it is wonderful but not enticing nor sexy. However, Lyric & Memoir are the Femme séductrice setting themselves above all expectations of how long they last and how well the hold their base notes.

Memoir Woman best described: If bees are placed in example of comparison, Well then, Memoir would surely is a Queen Bee.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Wow!!!! This is so beautifully blended. I would never be able to do this justice by picking apart notes so you will have to excuse my review. Gorgeous woods, spices and a beautiful smoky haze!!! Total stunner, incredibly sexy and sure to turn heads. When out make sure you're not being followed because this one is sure to inspire such actions!!!

Nickie
Nickie

An initial pepper-induced sneezing fit followed by a headache wasn't the dream introduction to Memoir I'd hoped for. 7 hours on and the itchy nose and head pain have subsided, but I'm the wallflower at this party, looking in and not understanding how to get onboard with the festivities.

The quality of the ingredients is impressive. The longevity looks like it could last long into the evening so, well over 12 hours. The silage is very good without encroaching on others' personal airspace.

It's unequivocally unisex. In fact, I find it more masculine than feminine and did wonder if I'd been sent the correct sample. I've been assured that I was.

But I don't like it; it's far too peppery for me. I'm counting down the hours to home time so I can wash it from my skin and clothes. Perhaps my customary 3 spritzes was too much; perhaps I need to try it again with just 2. However, I don't feel inclined to. I've tried it, and I'm very glad to have had the experience. But my relationship with Memoir Woman ends here.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

Just like another reviewer stated, this is very rich, like that rich dessert, you can only eat about 2 bites of before you need to wash it down with water! So mysterious, so sexy, so alluring. But somehow, there is still a lurking of freshness in the background like a rose hidden under mounds of chocolate. No, there's no chocolate in this, but that's the only thing I can think of. This is something you wear to a regal event or special occasion. Definitely for the GROWN and SEXY type woman. Yum!

Chocobaby
Chocobaby

The incense is so intense it overpowers everything and I was sorry I bought a full bottle. It smells like something was off. I was lamenting my poor choice. After about 6 hours (really!) the incense is gone and I got a smooth musky rose that sits very close to the skin. Not bad at all. I just have to be prepared to endure a few hours of sharp "off" smell before I enjoy it. Sigh,..

ranchorita
ranchorita

Memoir Woman is gorgeous, well-blended and elegant. I normally wear Orientals, but this Chypre works very well for me. This is a scent I'll think of for the most refined pursuits: attending opera, ballet or the symphony. This is spicy and aromatic without suffocating me or the people around me. The blend is subtle on me, and not overpowering on any accord. Absolutely ladylike and absolutely beautiful.

For what it is worth, my boyfriend said this is his favorite of all the scents I've worn.

antfarm
antfarm

My, this is rich. It's like taking one bite from a chocolate mousse cake made by a master chef and having that be satisfying enough.

The notes blend together so well I can't really describe any of them individually. All I can really say is that this smells very classic and French to my nose, as well as very expensive. It reminds me a little bit of Jil Sander 4, only stronger.

EDIT: As time goes on, this one disappoints me a little. I'm not getting any leather, styrax, wormwood, castoreum...or any of the notes I was hoping for. It just smells like a classic French floral perfume.

Marco Chau

Agree with all the good words about Memoir Woman. Originally planned to buy Memoir Man, but got curious and picked up the bottle of Memoir Woman in front to give it a sniff. Sprayed some on the test strip for a second sniff and then switched to spray on the back of my right hand for the third sniff. Waited for about 15 minutes and gave my right hand another sniff. OK! Forget Memoir Man. I'm taking Memoir Woman home.

Cereza
Cereza

I can't say that I enjoyed this at all, unfortunately. From the first moments upon applying this I could smell only leather + wormwood. I had really high hopes as I always enjoy wormwood in my perfume, but this was not the case.
I am actually surprised about all the good reviews as I did not get any of the notes other did, but it yet again proves that it is all about the chemistry.

I did start to find this "bearable" in 4 hours or so when the leather calmed down, but it still wasn't anything I would wear.

pretty_in_pink
pretty_in_pink

It's 36 degrees Celsius out. Late afternoon. First day of summer here down under. An air conditioner whirs outside. Cicadas strain against the humidity. And my next door neighbours shuffle ice into eskies. I lay lizard like across my couch, waiting breathlessly for a breeze to stir.

Memoir is pressed against my pulse points. It lifts and peaks like a silk maxi dress teased by the promise of an evening zephyr.

On first appearance, Memoir presents itself as an olfactory equivalent of a heavily and ornately carved wooden box, made by artisan hands. It's secret places and dark recesses perfect for winter and the velvet underworld of night.

But the way it interacts with the outside humidity on this languid Saturday afternoon is pure perfume ecstasy. It is sultry, hot and and oh so sexy.

I get leather and musk, sandalwood and something slightly herbal. There is jasmine too. It's woody and earthy and confusing and intriguing all at the same time. I am in love.

Silage is fabulous. A little goes a long way. And it lasts and lasts - if only summer could be so consistently long. Sigh.....

It kinda of reminds me of Fendi, the original, that I used to wear back in the 80s. It was a head turner and men would stop me in the street and beg me for the name of my scent.

And Memoir is this too. It lets me channel my inner seductress.

So if you like your scents light and airy try something else. This is a scent to unleash the woman inside - wallflowers need not apply.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

It is interesting that the bottle is black, because when I sniff it I see darkness. I see a full moon reflecting off a still, city-side river at midnight. I see Bonny (as in bonny and clyde) in her leather pants with smoking gun in one hand and cigarette in the other, planning her next bank robbery. I see mystery and depth. Memoir-woman is for the mysterious woman, who is sexy and a little aloof, she has a few secrets up her sleeve, and her layers are not easily peeled off - she is a coveted mystery and she likes it that way. The notes themselves are mysterious, they blend in a way that makes them seem like they are holding a secret. I think the musk, cloves and spices like to dominate though, whilst the leather make it's presence known, and the woody resins take backstage to appear in the finale. I like it, but do I like it enough to succumb to that staggering price tag? For now, I will console myself in another composition and enjoy the sample that was.

9-na
9-na

This scent is resin, pines and Dr Pepper on me. I wear it when I want to laugh.

huntress1
huntress1

Very beautiful! But L'Agent by L'Agent Provocateur is a good dupe for Amouage Memoir, so if you can't afford the latter, look no further! AP has a sharper opening, but the drydown is almost identical to Amouage Memoir! I was so surpised, yay!

Bklynlatinlady
Bklynlatinlady

I am in love with this. I been looking for an incense fragrance. It came down to this and L'Agent by Agent Provacateur. Memoir Woman knocked L'Agent out.
The scent is strong, dark, spicy. The pepper and incense come off loudly but wow the blend of this scent even enticed me, It's that sexy. haha. What I love about this is that after 4 hours, I still smelled the incense and pepper, it was softer than initially however that's when the middle notes start evolving, the floral blend begins to show from the incense. That remained for quite some time a couple hours later was when the musk and base notes began to pronounce themselves. This fragrance lasted on me over 12 hours. I went to shower and still smelled the fragrance on me. I have never purchased an Amouage, thought I would never pay this much for a fragrance, Amouage is worth it. Love it. My favorite scent.

I believe I have finally stumbled upon my favourite Amouage. Memoir Woman is a stunning and bold fragrance, which makes me feel like an Egyptian Goddess decked out in the finest yellow gold.

People will smell you coming from a mile away. Memoir Woman has intense sillage, that leaves the most intoxicating trail. I love turning heads, so this fragrance is very appealing to my nose. I wouldn't wish for it to be delicate or soft. The louder, the better.

The rose accord shines through quite strongly on my skin, followed by shiny leather, incense and spicy cloves. There's something a little naughty about this fragrance, something that hints that Memoir Woman is a perfume intended to be worn by 'bad girls'.

Putting all morals aside, Memoir Woman is incredibly sexy and rich. Men will find it hard not be captivated by the woman who wears this. Some fragrances work as a confidence booster, and this is one of those. I feel powerful and in control while wearing Memoir Woman. It's a scent that I'll always find myself coming back to, time and time again.

Memoir Woman is rather complex in terms of composition. There are some sweet, syrupy nuances throughout, brought about the zesty mandarin orange, rose oil and white floral blend. Leather, spices and incense tend to drag this fragrance over to the 'dark side', giving it that mysterious aura.

Although classified as a chypre, it also has some strong oriental tendencies. If there was ever a genre called, 'oriental chypre', Memoir Woman would be number one in that category. The sillage is powerful, so spray with caution. The same can be said in terms of the longevity as well. In conclusion, this fragrance may not suit everyone's tastes, but it is worth a try even if it is not to your liking.

Arome Sara
Arome Sara

Memoir is really quite strong beginning - the beginning reminded me smell like perfume Hermes Ambre Narquile, Opium or better known for a while, but the smell smoothes beautifully, I feel comfortable in her sweet white flowers and jasmine with notes of smoke and leather (leather is smooth but in a very similar form as in Guerlain Cuir Beluga). But there was smoke Memoir tones add depth to the darkness and erotic fragrance ingredients in it harmoniously blended and well layered. Cardamom, cloves and galbanum I smell evoke rather than Oriental Chypre. Curiously, the Memoir is not downright difficult, but stamina is really excellent. I have to write that this is what I imagine when you hear about a scent that is sexy.

babylon_baby
babylon_baby

reminds me of DK's black cashmere without saffron.Nothing Chyper but smoky oriental only .It would be my fourth Amouage LOL~Maybe~

zsazsa
zsazsa

I don't have enough words to describe the beauty of this fragrance.It has managed to push aside my all time favorite, Shalimar (at least, for the time being!) as my number one. Memoir is a soft chypre, so smooth, refined and so delicious on the skin. It becomes a skinscent, with musky,smokey leather,and tuberose dominating the mix. It makes me feel comfortable,confident and sexy. To me it feels more oriental than chypre, for some reason it reminds me of Opium. Must be the way it combines with my own scent. Sillage and longevity: excellent. The best Amouage ever!(and believe me, I have sampled almost all of them!)I finally got my bottle yesterday, and I wore it today to the office. It is not loud, in your face, but it sure is present. I immediately got a compliment on it. I am in fragrance heaven!

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

I think the name is wrong. It's too airy, light and intellectual whereas this scent is dark, dangerous and intense. I would have said a name associated with the underworld or something like opium or poison might be more apt. I think it bears a resemblance to poison in that it's the only other fragrance I can think of with that kind of intensity and depth. It contains some notes that I love like a cat loves catnip- pink pepper and cardamom (I could sniff cardamom pods all day). The notes are all beautifully blended and the wormwood sits beautifully within the structure. This could be my signature scent but I'll bet a lot of people will think it's too heavy. What do they know.

Just realised after eating a satsuma how much the mandarin lingers on hours later which is good for a top note and not something I'd expected.

jtd
jtd

Memoir Woman is a moving target. It opens as an orange incense chypre, with spices and some huge white floral notes (jasmine, tuberose) holding an impatient sweetness at bay. Soon, though the flower and the spice hang in, a syrupy thickness takes the lead and Memoir comes to feel strikingly similar to Serge Lutens’s Cèdre and Arabie. By this time, you realize that Memoir won’t so much blur genre lines as jump over them. It’s moved from mixed-bag chypre to syrupy sweet and finally lands in the balsamic spicy oriental camp.

All of the above. More is better. Bigger is better. You get the idea. There’s nothing either subtle or minimal happening here. Wearing it, I keep flashing to the image of an insect caught and preserved in amber.

I recently heard an interview with a Danish film director who noted the difficulty and ultimate payoff of delivering the unexpected while maintaining a believable narrative. She might as well have been talking about Memoir Woman.

Huge white florals and fruits (mainly orange) laying on a very complex, kinda animalic, resinous/incensey base. Smoky undertones and leather blend with the rest adding depth and a touch of darkness. A masterfully crafted chypre that's satisfying and well refined yet not particularly distinctive.

lara0905
lara0905

Memoir is a well-layered, complex smell. Peppered zesty opening with some incense note. Pleasant flowery aromas twisted with clove and musc.On me the cardamom is detectable in the drydown with leather, labdanum and musk and I feel some ginger note with some cinnamon in it...the end is lightly spiced,sweet, powdered, incenced leather touch on my skin.

Elegant, super-sexy, intoxicating, longlasting scent for real womens.

Update: Until I sniff my hand all the time, I just thinking about I know, this smell is very familiar for me....Avon Mesmerize!!!!It has more fruityness but the drydown is very similar on me.:)...and it's very similar Avon Far Away Paradise too..:)

The sillage is amazing, after 5 hours the application I still feel it so intensively!

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

I have barely words for Memoir except this one : masterpiece !
Stunning with incense, spices, liquorice, booze, herbs and flowers. A somewhat more dense version of Poison but heavenly and beyond imagination.
Smell it and you will know what I mean.
I must have this one even though the price is less enjoyable.

shoreshells
shoreshells

As I always state first; I'm not good at identifying individual notes. So, this is what I have to say after testing this perfume. I am in love with it! It has just the right amount of incence, rose, wood and cloves that smell feminine. It's a very "me" fragrance since I've been looking for a fragrance such as this without it being very masculine. I'm sure the mens version is delicious! If you like the smokey, incence slightly floral and leather, then look not further.

Amouage MEMOIR WOMAN is a thick and satisfying oriental chypre with a marked smoky leather note which darkens the composition overall while at the same time framing the lighter floral and fruity notes. I do not find the leather very animalic; it almost seems like dark-roasted tobacco, in fact.

As the composition develops, the smokiness fades to a light shadow of itself, while the labdanum becomes more prominent. The heavy hitters--including clove, absinthe, cardamom, pepper, styrax and incense--are judiciously measured in this composition so that none overwhelms the other notes.

MEMOIR is definitely a modern chypre, à la COCO MADEMOISELLE, BRYANT PARK, or LEXINGTON AVENUE, albeit not sweet, and nothing at all like the classic chypres, including MITSOUKO, FEMME ROCHAS, et al.

This creation strikes me as well-named. Multilayered and compelling, MEMOIR WOMAN has a significant and worthwhile development trajectory, which mimics the manner in which memories proliferate in consciousness as one reflects upon the past: one image leads to another until by the end one may even forget what started it all given where one lands… In this case, a scrumptious and complex perfume of the oriental-chypre kind… My favorite Amouage so far...

Kterhark
Kterhark

Memoir Woman opens with the mall effect: an opening blast that would surely catch your attention if you were zipping through the bottles on the counter. Love it!

Moving on... middle phase. This played like a visit to In and Out (this is a burger and fry franchise for all you non-Californians) When it was 'In', I got lovely incense and dry spices, which I give thumbs up to. When it was 'Out', I got...wet leather boots. Not so good.

Dry down- cheers for longevity, which I haven't had much luck with from this house. My closing comments are that this is a nice fragrance, just one that is missing something. A strong base. Compare this to vintage Cabochard, or any other leather heavy weight, and you'll see what I mean. There is something 'light' and 'watery' about this. Chypres are my genre, and I take them very seriously (as I tend to buy them). Here I want more- there just isn't enough contrast or anchor.

In all a good fragrance, I'm just not sure if it can woo over the intended fanbase.

celina
celina

Absolutely beautiful modern Chypre.

Something old, something new. Old is the construction. New is the mandarin orange touch instead of bergamot. Woody, warm with spices and incense. Few flowers and musk. Nothing sharp or aggressive. Sophisticated and elegant with a modern feeling.

The top notes reminded me of JPG classic with a chypre tone: absynth, cardamom, mandarin orange, pink pepper, wormwood, pepper, rose.
(Gaultier: in the top notes delicate rose scent is spiced by fresh anis. Middle notes combine sweetness of orange blossom and exciting ginger)

Also, it is unusual for a chypre but this fragrance is really sensuous, with a hint of smokiness. You might ask: sensuous without vanilla, tonka beans and patchouli? Yes. You should try it and mesmerize yourself.

Should I mention the leather and the musk?

Absolutely fantastic.

9.7/10

After 8 hours: incenses, styrax, labdanum with whispers of cloves on a bed of leather and wood notes. It couldn't have been better.

NevilleM
NevilleM

After trying a few days of Memoir Man I moved onto Memoir Woman.
Initial impression is wow, can I wear this instead. Starting out with a short lived orange settling to pink pepper and green wormwood with a floral contribution (from the white flowers?). After a few hours in the incense wafts around with rose and woods and jasmine and eventually a mossy musk. Sillage will have you walking around with nose pressed to wrist and over twelve hours useful life. Unisex and combines well with Memoir Man.