Designers » A » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men

Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men
dislike

I have it: 780 I had it: 334 I want it: 379 My signature: 19

Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures Eau d'Hadrien Annick Goutal for women and men Pictures

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Eau d'Hadrien was launched in 1981. Eau d'Hadrien was created by Annick Goutal and Francis Camail. The fragrance features cypress, grapefruit, lemon, sicilian lemon, citron, mandarin orange, aldehydes and ylang-ylang. This perfume is the winner of award FiFi Award Hall Of Fame 2008.

Cypress Grapefruit Lemon Sicilian Lemon Citron Mandarin Orange Aldehydes Ylang-Ylang

Acqua Viva
Verbenas of Provence
Eau d`Hadrien
Monsieur Balmain
Les Nuits d'Hadrien

Eau d'Hadrien Fragrance Reviews

ronin.jose
ronin.jose

I smelled it on the department store few years ago and I remeber it smelling very bright lemony opening, a little bit sharp, a little bit tart, and sparkling but it turns weird on me when it dries down... kind of salty but in a weird way... Like a fizzy, sparkling watered down soy sauce with a little bit of... sweet cardboard? sweet wet cardboard?... Weird!

This is the first niche fragrance that I smelled but it didn't surprised me as a very good fragrance, quite dissapointed

cristina_mtereko
cristina_mtereko

smells so fresh and clean it is my only annick perfume as i see the longevity is so bad , after 1 hr i cant feel it so i wont be buying another bottle again just because its so weak and is not cheap either

JenniferCarson
JenniferCarson

Annick Goutal's eau d'Hadrian may be one of the freshest,cleanest scents what I have tried till now. It's a trustworthy thing and really suits any mood, any season. When you want to feel pretty, smell fresh, sophisticated, and light, eau d'Hadrian is the solution.

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

Fabulous top notes of verbena and tangerine, but gone in about 10 minutes. Very very similar to Verveine by L'Occitane, which costs about 18 euros as opposed to 70, so I know where my money's going. Such a shame - if it had some lasting power, I'd buy a jugful of this for summer.

barbkory
barbkory

This is one of the most repelling perfumes I ever smelled. I am not sure if I got an old bottle or counter fit bottle but it is just awful. Citric and herbs, terrible, I had to scub it off my skin.

armacoonsum
armacoonsum

I love this! I sense the Lemonheads candy feel at first, alobg with a zesty, herbal, aromatic citrus, but the drydown, for me, is... neroli! Does anyone else smell neroli in this one? I keep re-sniffing my arm to be sure it's not something other than that, but... it's still neroli! Hmm...

LovesProvence
LovesProvence

Deppaholic said it well: Buy it fresh, and use it up by summer's end. Just like a lemon tree, this scent needs daylight, warmth, and humidity to bloom properly. This wears like a verbena-laced daydream on those whose skin plays well with citrus; if you're not among those people or you're currently wearing long-sleeves, wait until May. It's worth the price if treated well!

gtabasso
gtabasso

a pure bitter herbal citrus that I love but it does not last and fades so rapidly

cats8398
cats8398

Refreshing,clean citrus, yet subtle, too subtle as it fades so quickly. I won't buy it for that reason, although, I do love it.

topdogrwd
topdogrwd

I see so many fragrance lovers here drooling over the citrus opening of this reformulated fragrance.

I strongly suggest to give a try to
1>Profumum Acqua Viva
2>Panah London Italian Citrus.

The opening of these two fragrances are heavenly and excellent summer fragrances.

For obvious reasons the highr concentrations and good quality lemon plays an important role for citrus fragrance and its seems Profumo and Panah guys have nailed it .

iwhiffwaft
iwhiffwaft

I read Leonardo D Caprio wears this. Since I'm a collector I figured I'd pick it up and see why. I think this is called a chypre. I have others in this genre. Extra Vielle which is a far better version of 4711 was what I smelled in the beginning of this. I had read that comparison and it was no joke the first time I smelled this. It was my first initial impression of the opening. Then, though it changed. It is still citrusy, but there's a citrus grassy-ness here that reminds me a whole lot of Cappucci Pour Homme. The fullest part of this fragrance is very, very similar to Cappucci. Maybe even in the vein of Acqua Essenziale Colonia by ferragamo. Even though I have a lot of these types of fragrances already, I do enjoy this one a lot. These are really good summer fragrances that are wearable for work or play. I don't think I'd like this on a woman, but on the right woman, I wouldn't care.

GrandmaGaga
GrandmaGaga

As someone below said, first blast is LemonHead candies...then fades away pretty quickly to a very light realistic fresh lemon scent. I can't imagine this would be worth the price for the vast majority of us.

NouveauDruid
NouveauDruid

While Annick Eau d'Hadrien tries to evoke coastal Mediterranean citrus, it does not succeed quite as well as, say, Eau de Rochas. This is because there seems an initial imbalance with the abundance of dry lemon and other citrus top notes and the understandable inclusion of cypress, the latter of which takes over fairly quickly. Normally I adore cypress but somehow this mix doesn't quite work.

There is no roundness to this fragrance. Further, it quickly dries down to something so dryly herbal that it lacks any sillage on my skin. It is also a tad too bitter for me because my nose has never detected the ylang ylang, which could have made d'Hadrien more wearable had there been perhaps one more drop of it.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

LEEEMMOOONNNN!!!!!! Soooo much lemon!! It's a very candy-like lemon, like lemonheads. It's not all lemon though - I can definitely pick up the cypress, and the other citrus adds a juicy depth and sweetness - but this overwhelmingly about the lemon. Almost no longevity; dries down really fast to a faint, almost aquatic and slightly bitter, though still pretty, scent. A really nice (and really expensive) Jean Nate.

Littlegrassstraw
Littlegrassstraw

At first there is an overwhelming lemony blast. Then it turns into a lovely subdued green and tangy composition. Grapefruit is evident cz. i like it but it is a little bit weak, to me that is better than too strong though as i could spray more.

darlingnadine
darlingnadine

Lemon-scented disinfectant. Lemon-scented dish soap. Lemon-scented hand sanitizer. You get the picture. I would only wear this if I wanted people to think I spent the whole day cleaning my house.

ayh210
ayh210

Zingy fresh! It smells like I have just zested and juiced fresh lemons bought from a farmers market. It's incredibly energizing and uplifting!

Sillage - Low / longevity - ~3 hours

RJ Watson
RJ Watson

Annick Goutal was my first foray into niche fragrance, back in the early 90s when the brand could only be found in about 3 shops in all of NYC.

While the Eau d'Hadrien of today isn't what he used to be - with reformulations and all - I am happy enough with the current version to always keep a bottle or two (I am also very fond of the eau de parfum version) in the refrigerator.

It opens with a bracing blast of lemon, properly tart and very dry and given a little lift by sparkling aldehydes. It's sharp and likely to make you pucker. It quickly moves through grapefruit, citron, a touch of ylang and finally settling into its woody base of cypress. The grapefruit and ylang are more evident in the edp, so much so that it feels like a different fragrance - they definitely share the same DNA but are different enough to warrant owning both versions.

People often complain of the longevity of Goutal fragrances but I have it on good authority that she never intended her fragrances to last all day; she preferred a scent applied in the morning to fade away, making way for you to apply another of her perfume creations later in the day. If you want your Hadrien to hang around a bit longer, try layering it with the body creme, which has a very high percentage (I think it's 3% or more) of perfume. It's a pretty luxurious way to experience the fragrance, and if you're a fan, you should treat yourself. :)

A modern classic for those who love their citruses neat and dry. It's been love for me for over 20 years!

diego.lesgart
diego.lesgart

Typical summer cologne ... in the Eau de Cologne by Les Exc. by Chanel style ... may be Moschino Uomo, Allure Cologne Sport and Scale to Para Ti by Dior

mummeli
mummeli

Ah. I currently smell like a sour cough drop that has been soaked in citrus dish washing liquid. The lemon is very sharp in the beginning, and it softens a little as we get closer to the drydown (which is soon - its longevity leaves a lot to be desired). The strong citrus top notes almost make this perfume smell like something edible and delicious, but as the soapy notes kick in, the thought is gone for good.

Eau d'Hadrien doesn't really make me think of an actual perfume, rather it reminds me of the "perfumes" I used to make as a child, combining any ingredients I could find with a distinctive smell, such as fresh lemon juice, rose petals or cinnamon powder. I can't help feeling like this perfume was created by just throwing different citrus fruits together into a blender. There are very few nuances in this perfume, and I find the result quite unilateral.

This perfume is not for me, but please don't let me be misunderstood - It doesn't smell bad. However pleasant the smell itself, I am having a hard time understanding why anyone would like to wear this scent as a perfume.

Kione
Kione

Longevity about 10 minutes, can't even write a review apart from lemony fresh before it disappears.

Migalex
Migalex

I never had the opportunity before to test any Anick Goutal's fragrance, and maybe because I had high expectations about these so said niche fragrances, I was, I would not say disappointed, but unimpressed. It is from my viewpoint an almost purely citric scent, without the acidity, which to me is nevertheless, a good point. There are thousands of fragrances like this one, and many I am sure with a much more remarkable evolution and structure. Also, silage and staying power are not impressive. I also tried Sables and Mandragore pourpre, and was equally unimpressed. To ask for these prices without the glamour of fashion designer houses, I thought the fragrances had to be remarkable, creative and original.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien is a straightforward lemon fragrance on me. The cypress renders the lemon more towards dry and aromatic, rather than juicy and sparkling.

The sillage of EDT is soft and the longevity is barely 4 hours on me. I prefer tart and juicy citrus, thus Eau d'Hadrien is not my favourite interpretation. But for a blazing hot summer day, it provides an utterly refreshing experience.

tige60
tige60

I was hoping to love this one, but the drydown just gets way too close to Sunlight Lemon-Fresh scent disdhwashing liquid...starts off good enough, but rather quickly devolves into lemon dishwashing liquid...sorry, but just can't bring myself to giving this one a thumbs up...much prefer the lemon in A.G. Nuit Etoilee even though it's not the loud intense slightly tart lemon that I am looking for...anyhow, eventually I'll find that loud intense slightly tart lemon that I'm hoping for...anyone have any further leads on a slightly tart intense lemon fragrance?

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

لو بيدي تسمية العطر لاسميته الليمونه المألوفه الخانقة احيانا :)

العطر لايحتاج تقرير مطول رائحة سهلة الاكتشاف

الليمون هو بطل قصة هذا العطر ولدرجة انه مالوف ستشبه باشياء عديدة ومالوفه جدا قد تشبة بشراب عصير بنهكة الليمون المحلى طبعا، قد تشبة بعصير الليمون الطازج وقد تشبة ودون مجمالة ببخات تلميع الاخشاب التي تاتي برائحة الليمون بالنسبة لي العطر لم يقدم اي شي جديد مطلق اذا كنت ستشتري العطر من اجل المديح فسأقول لك ربما تلاقي تعليقات وتشبيهات تحبطك
لم يرق لي للاسف.
طبعا متى ما اتيحت لك التجربة فلا تردد اذا كنت محب لليمون دون اية قيود.
هذا العطر كان ينقصة شوية نوتات اخشاب او قرين نوت او تكثيق على الاقل الالدهيذز التي اغرقتها حموضه الليمون في العطر.
ابدا ودائما لاتنس ذكر الله والصلاةعلى النبي.

psebi101
psebi101

I am sorry that for the reason of so many cleaning products having a lemon aroma, people associate lemon perfumes to this type of products. There are synthetic perfumes that could lead to that, but in my opinion, it's not the case here.

The opening is sparkling with lemon, cypress and some aldehydes. It is bitter and I get more the peal of the citruses than the juice, or it's like the smell of the inside of a fruit after the juice was squeezed. It is very refreshing and smells natural to me. Projection is medium at this point and it will get milder progressively. The change is minimal, but it's there; the lemon is the heart and soul of this fragrance. With time, the bitterness tones down and it becomes a little more zesty and, by the end, when it's purely a skin scent, a creamier and sweeter lemonade.

It's not like a modern sweet citrus, but it has a special appeal that takes you back a few decades. I'm quite a fan of this stuff.
It's a review for the EDP.

Scent: 8.5/10
Projection: 3/10

ColdDiss
ColdDiss

I've gone through so many bottles of the EdP that I've lost count. It is bright, fresh, photorealistic lemon sweetened up with a hint of ylang in a cypress grove. Everything about it is crisp and clean and uncomplicated. It lends itself well to summertime use, when it's too hot to want to smell anything heavy or complex.

I used to smell cumin in old bottles of this, and I don't smell that anymore. Newer bottles have a strong lemon-verbena note to replace most of the juicy citrus, with a fresh-mown grass quality instead of the deep dark cypress forest. It is still Hadrien, but it's not the same Hadrien. I think the newer version is still wearable and better than a lot of the stuff like it on the market -- notable exception being the incredible and devastatingly expensive Profumum Acqua Viva -- but this has definitely been changed, a lot, and not necessarily for the better.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

A quintessential summer fragrance!

Eau d'Hadrien is the purest, most zesty lemon (and citrus combo) linear scent. Such a sparkling, lightweight, uplifting, refreshing perfume. Mouthwatering, actually! There is not much else to say here: It really smells like actual lemons. Not sweet lemon cake, not candy lemon lollipops - squeezed lemons! Some people may be into that, some people will wonder why they don't just dab some lemon juice on their wrists & save a hundred bucks! I personally am a lemon FIEND, and I find this a godsend.

It is a skinscent, so you won't mow down bypassers in your wake with tart citric lemon gusts, no worries there.

On me this smells delicious, but on my mother it smelled exactly like bugspray. So definitely test before you buy, and enjoy!

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

I have read that Leonardo DiCaprio apparently wears this... well, I'm sure that it smells much better on him than it does on me! It's such as shame, as the vial smelt beautiful: very fresh, lively and invigorating, the perfect scent with which to energise and begin your day.

Sadly, on me this smells like lemon dish-washing liquid that fades after a while into a skin scent. I get no wonderful sparkling lemony freshness, but I kind of suspected that to happen, as citrus and white florals have a tendency to turn soapy on my skin. Sillage is soft; lasts for about 7 hours.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

The best lemon I've yet smelled - really delicious, mouthwatering even. As a cologne it's refreshing, clean, sparkling. Spritzing this on a hot summer day would be perfection. It doesn't last very long, beyond a pleasant skin scent, but colognes never do. I like this because it doesn't have a big aldehyde "lift" to it, it smells naturally uplifting and the cypress is a smooth, pleasant base. This is good. 10/10 for a citrus cologne, smooth and cooling.

username101
username101

One of my favorite perfumes in the past used to be Ptisenbon Tartine et Chocolat by Givenchy and I was very disappointed for years that they have changed the formula. Low and behold, Eau d'Hadrien has the elements that I liked from Ptisenbon while being different and unique! While it won't be a complete replacement, I at least have something to smell that has the elements of Ptisenbon that I like.

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

Oh, God, what fragrance is this (EDT for men that is more bitter, more masculine than EDP) - elegant, sophisticated, complex. Near it is a shame to categorize this in citrus fragrance category.
Eau d'Hadrien is one of the best perfumes that I've ever smelled.
So great smell is this exquisite bitter-citrus that very few people who posted here reviews understood this rare natural beauty.
Honestly, until I found this perfume, I thought does not exist in the fragrance world a citric so complex and refined.

Fragrance 7/10
Projection Medium
Longevity 6 h

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Old school lemon scent that has poor performance overall. I would not recommend blind buying this. Much better options are available. I am highly letdown by this.

sniif
sniif

I was searching for an uplifting, fresh, cooling citrus perfume. Eau d'Hadrien is none of these. It's almost the opposite: dry, old, and offputting. Unlike familiar citrusy perfumes that imitate the juice or mist of a citrus fruit, Eau d'Hadrien smells like a stand of whole lemons. Ever try to check if a lemon is juicy by smelling the unopened fruit? That's right. Darn hard. Lemons smell herbal, bitter, almost medicinally so, and so does Eau d'Hadrien. To it's credit, this perfume is natural smelling and if that's what you like, enjoy. But I just feel that natural ingredients went to waste in this fragrance because they don't evoke positive emotions, memories, or possibilities...just the image of a stand of dry lemons, getting old.

AliDC3
AliDC3

I love this perfume, but find that Annick Goutal perfumes "turn" very quickly. It is quite expensive, but really starts smelling bad after about 3 months (chemical and like lemons that are getting moldy). Even using it every day, I can't go through a bottle that quickly. They should either sell it in smaller amounts, or do something to preserve the scent.

AneV
AneV

I like citrus but not like this. I think the cypress is too much gives it more of a cleaning liquid feel. I will not purchase another Annick Goutal, they don't seem to work for me.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

What a strange coincidence! I am reviewing ALL of the aromatic citruses tonight. ;) Okay, not all of them, just several...

This does not smell incredibly complex to me--just like a lemon sucker that was found underneath a Christmas tree. For more interesting and complex aromatic citruses, smell Un Jardin Sur Le Nil and Eau Des Merveilles.

PerfectFloral
PerfectFloral

If you need an universally admired, invigorating, easy going scent to wear at the office - this is it. For the notes, Meyer lemon comes to mind, and a touch of verbena. A very sophisticated, pleasant citrus mix with a marvellous "je ne sais quoi" Goutal touch.

canadianpetite

Yes, citric scent. That's all I get. $99 at Winners - not worth it to me.

one spray on me
Sillage: about a foot
Longevity: an hour
Rating: 1/5 - too expensive for such a simple scent

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

A pleasant, clean, classic citrus cologne with the typical Goutal's touch – kind of a paler and more masculine version of Nuit Etoilée. Nice and lively, but there's plenty of other similar scents which do the same job. Quite light and not much persistent.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Eau D' Hardien from Annick Goutal is an EXCELLENT aromatic/citrusy ..green fragrance. When you spray this fragrance on your skin, the high quality aroma of lemon juice is UNBELIEVABLY intoxicating ( in a good way) that you would swear that the lemon's were squeezed into the bottle before it was capped.
I'm aslo able to pick up a real attractive green aroma from Cyprus which makes it amazing without a doubt! The other two notes of mandarin and grapefruit give it a real zesty aroma which completes a TRULY great summer fragrance which makes it really FRESH and impossible not to wear.
longevity and Silage is subjective...everyone's skin reacts different to what you wear. I personally found that it lasts at least 6hrs hours and as a summer frag it's more then what I expect. As a side note, I had layered this frag and didn't find it too heavy. It drys back really well leaving the citrus notes coming through above the rest.
Overall view,
There isn't many frag's which I don't adore from Annick's collection. ..I do enjoy this one and I just picked up Nuit Etoilee.
Out of a lot of summer fragrance's this one is a real Gem! I was introduced to these frag's a while back. I now own several of Annick Goutal's fragrance's.
The adjectives that describe this PHENOMENON fragrance are..Sparkling, Zesty, invigorating, fresh and also uplifting!!!
Incase you were wondering. .no doubt..100%..10/10 or ☆☆☆☆☆ :-)))))

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

D’Hadrien is a bright and sparkling aromatic perfume with strong citrus note combined—I would say elevated and deepened—with cypress. At first sniff, this is like lemon zest; at second sniff, I swore I smelled bergamot. Indeed, the bergamot-esque note continues throughout the perfume’s development; I assume this is the cypress note expressing itself as a complex, resinous, green note combined with the lemon. This resinous note is almost like pine sap (I have more experience with pine than cypress, I think), a fresh woodiness that is light but not really airy.

This is a fairly hefty perfume, with good sillage and longevity now exceeding 5 hours. Dampness on my skin, from sweat or handwashing, brings the brighter citrus notes back to the foreground; otherwise, the deeper cypress notes are predominant. I think this could almost count as a chypre, with the citrus top notes; or as a fougere, with the herbalness of the cypress with, as I said, the bergamot like character. It shares a freshness that I usually associate with lavender. This is definitely unisex, and very fresh. I would recommend it to those who want a fresh citrus or more herbal perfume.

Lana148
Lana148

Very dry, realistic, bitter citrus, mainly lemon. Usually citrus fragrances "warm-up" on my skin and become sweeter, but this one is very "stubborn" and smells pretty much the same till it's gone.

dsty
dsty

What a disappointment! I was looking forward to trying Eau d'Hadrien very much, because I love citrus, I love the colour yellow and most promisingly I love Mémoires d'Hadrien by Marguerite Yourcenar. So my expectations were high, which is rarely a good thing...
My first impression was of a lot of citrus, nice and a bit herbal. I wasn't blown away, but not immediately dissapointed either. I thought it would be interesting to see where it and/or my appreciation for it evolved. The problem is, it didn't. After half an hour it's almost entirely gone.
I have a sample I bought online; I'll try this again if I see it in a store to see if I get better results with another bottle/another version of it (the eau de parfum instead of the eau de toilette, maybe?), because I do so love the idea of smelling like that book!

Edit: I finished my sample on a hot day, and in the crook of my elbow this time, and the effect was very different. Still a lot of slightly herbal lemon, but blooming in the heat and much brighter. This time the simplicity of the scent did make it convincing as the perfume of Hadrien in the book! It lasts a bit better, too. I think I would like at least a decant of this after all, but now I know better than to wear it on a colder day...

Museumgal
Museumgal

The lemon and other citrus is prominent at first,a little bitter, then it blends into the sweeter ylang ylang to get this delicious, almost lemon tea with honey scent. Delicately floral in the heart the ylang ylang is really wonderful here. The heart is my favorite part of the scent when the citrus is tamed by the sweet florals. Has a sort of "lemon blossom" feel to it in the middle. The citrus doesn't even fade into the dry down. Good for work or waking up in the morning! Appropriate for almost any day time situation.

canadianpetite

Found a bottle at Winners today so had a sniff. Lemons and earthy note but not patchouli or cypress - more like vetiver. The lemons are not sour or sugary sweet, just organic. After an hour, the lemons faded so fast that my nose was right against my wrist. If I liked smelling like lemons, I would pick this, but I can live without this. It's too simple for my taste even if used as just-stepped-out-of-shower frag. This is the second AG I found at Winners (coincidence that they're citrus?). I agree with a reviewer that celebrities love this house cleaner smell because they've not cleaned house so don't know better. For the $70 Winners price tag, I think it's overpriced.

One spray on me:
Sillage: close to skin in first half-hour then nose-to-wrist (where did it go?)
Longevity: half-hour, if that
Rating: for the high price, poor longevity and single-note simplicity = 1/5

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I first wore this in my 20s, and back then it was my go-to summer fragrance. It's light, breezy, refreshingly lemon and citrus smoothed a little with an underlying woodiness and herbal note. Back then, I was light and breezy too....Nowadays though, in my 40s, it just doesn't suit me at all. Maybe my body chemistry has changed with age and hormones or whatever, but the breezy fresh lemon now smells like generic citrus body spray that carries a hint of bathroom cleaner with it. The top notes are all powerful, a florid burst of lemon juice, and then it vanishes-it just disappears within an hour leaving nothing. Its all fur coat and no knickers this one...

This is like a first love-a lovely youthful sweet holiday romance, but not a lasting relationship.

pigletia
pigletia

I really like this fragrance, but within a half an hour, I couldn't smell it at all. It is very lemony but then dries down to a beautiful light green scent and then it completely fades away. Very disappointing.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

I cant say much more than what has been said here. This is a very juicy lemon fragrance. Smells like someone is mashing up a juicy lemon on my arm. Still lemon.....then nothing. Faded away too quickly, was very real while it lasted though.

pinkgnome
pinkgnome

I have EDT.

I got this when I looking for something similar to L'Occitanne Vervena, wishing this would last better but no, it doesn't stay on me.

This is nice and bright I like it but
I will stick to L'Occitanne Vervena, this is too pricey for its weak staying power.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Right from the start, a very appealing and realistic lemon scent. Sweet, but not saccharine or candied. Sour but not unreasonably so, and without the use of bitter herbs. And just floral enough for you to be aware of it in the background. It stays relatively pure in the way that many of the English barbershop lime scents do, so I was worried at first that that it would peter out quickly and into utter nothingness. After a few more minutes, I can tell that it's dropping off a bit less steeply than I thought it would. I'm not really sure how much of the trace woody base comes from other things they've added and how much is from the vague natural base of the lemon itself, but I definitely notice that the lemoniness has lasted far longer than I expected it to, much like the (relatively) long-lasting limeyness of Truefitt's surprisingly good lime scent. I don't like lemon as much as lime or grapefruit, but this is quite plainly the benchmark for lemon, and I don't recall any others I've tried beating it on longevity, initial strength, or the naturalness of the scent. Well done!

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

I wonder what it used to be like before it was reformulated? The current version is like bathroom cleaner to me. Or rather, the solid lemon deodorizers left near the toilets in public bathrooms. A friend of mine has gifted me with the rollerball, and I really tried to like it for her sake, but I couldn't stand it. I even decanted it and put it into a small atomizer to see if it was better when it was sprayed. No.

PerthTH
PerthTH

Refreshing summer scent, it really suits hot weather, reminds me a bit of lying on a beach in a sunny day, Lemon is definitely the main note of this fragrance.

Its longevity is not satisfactory though, even in a hot weather, it lasts only about 2-3 hours then it quickly fades.

Very citrusy fresh lemony fragrance!

I can not only lemons and citrons juice, but their zests also.

For me it's not feminine enough. Even it reminds me a little bit lemon colognes. I would prefer something softer. But it's optimistic:)

AdrianB
AdrianB

Received a partial bottle of this from a fellow Fragrantican.

Generally citrus & I are not friends. This however, is the exception to that rule. It reminds me of lemon icebox pie & lemon drops. On me it's fresh & sweet, but not cloying and thankfully not bitter. Sillage & longevity are about average for me.

A simple but lovely fragrance that will be perfect for spring/summer.

zaynaz
zaynaz

It's not quite Eau de Lemon Dishwashing Liquid, but it's pretty close. It softens a little into a slightly sweet lemon barley sugar fragrance. Very minimal projection, If I hold my wrist three inches from my nose I can't smell it, which is probably a good thing as I don't desire to smell of artificial lemons. I don't think this captures the freshness of lemons or grapefruits or the bitterness of orange peel. At best it smells clean but less 'just stepped out of the shower' and more 'just cleaned the shower'. If other's like it that's great, but I can't imagine buying this or wanting to smell like this and I doubt I'll finish my sample vial.

elena788
elena788

I like the drydown once the screech-y lemon is gone, but the opening just smells like Pledge to me. Way too acidic, even though I generally love citrus.

drakecito
drakecito

One of the best lemon scents in the market and yes, the FIFI AWARD winner in 2008.
Very natural and well blended fragance. Too lemon with a touch of spice and cypress. Nothing more and is suficient...
Last about 4-5 hours on me and projection is moderate (like all fragances like this).

If you like the synthetic and cheap fragances like Carolina Herrera, Dior of YSL (the last fragance of YSL is horrible to me), etc.. this is not for you.

Sillage: 6/10

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

GIVE BACK THAT FIFI AWARD!

Really? A 2008 Fifi award?
Someone must have bribed the judges.

All I got was lemon bathroom deodorizer.
Thankfully it has limited longevity and projection.

If you prefer a mainstream teenage girl citrus blast - have at it.

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

This is a strange one! In my experience it smells different bottle-to-bottle! The first time I tried it in Italy, I really thought I may have found the perfect everyday scent for me. Fresh lemon, mandarin and grapefruit citrus but slightly herbal too, delicious!! Then when I got home I ordered online - but was so disappointed that I believed I had bought a fake! It was so different! An expensive mistake, it smelt like a generic lemony bathroom cleaner! Now when I see a tester in a store I always have a spritz - sometimes it smells as lovely as when I first tried it but I will not be buying it again.

Deppaholic

Leo wears this....rowr....but he's not my type anyways, lol. Ladies, you have to buy this fresh, not on Ebay, at a good high end department store. Use it completely up that summer. This is not one that simmers and gets better with time. Quite the contrary. If it sits it gets pissed and turns into a violent acid. Fresh, and dare I say fresh again. Summer fragrance only if you live in the 4 seasons parts of the world. Lest, you buy a bottle and not use it up quick, it's a waste. It is lovely though. But make sure you get a "what", fresh bottle :)

AnaIli35
AnaIli35

While I enjoy citrus notes in a fragrance, I don't typically care for them as the main attraction. I'm wearing a sample that I got when shopping for another perfume (and was pretty 'meh' about it), but upon trying it on myself I must say that I love it! It absolutely reminds me of Love's Fresh Lemon, albeit more refined. I love the chic, vintagey bottle as well; it would look beautiful on my dresser:-)

FeistyBourbonGirl
FeistyBourbonGirl

Lemon lemon lemon. When I want an organic single note citrus I put this on. Doesn't last very long but while it's there, it's lovely.

LesleyA

I ordered a small bottle of this online, and oh ew.....it couldn't be any different than what I described with glee in my previous review. I'm so sad. Im not sure which scent is accurate now! If the one I received in the mail is correct, then I feel ridiculous for going on about it the way I did a few reviews down.
This one I received smells like a generic department store men's cologne. (aquatic/woody...I'm not one to immediately associate citrus with men's cologne, so it's not the citrus) In fact, even though I love Jo Malone, it smells very similar to her Blackberry and Bay cologne which I seriously do not enjoy. I don't smell any of the bright, refreshing citrus of the time I sampled this at Neiman's. Just a strange, familiar woody smell. Would that be the cypress?? Either I got taken, or my chemistry was night and day different that day at Nieman's compared to today, or this bottle has turned.
Sad face.

vilityh
vilityh

Seriously waste my money. After read reviews here, I buy the frag via online.I purchase the frag with mini size. It's 15ml. Received my item today and I test to my hand. Damn frustrating. It's smell calamnsi not lemon and automatically I got headache. At top note its smell like fresh hesperide but fresh hesperide way better at second and 3rd note than annick goutal d'hadrien. I plan to letgo the perfume. I hate annick goutal frag.

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

I have the mens square 100ml Edt bottle and it is citrus done very well. Upon first spritz the lemon fizzes up your nose and the mixture of grapefruit and mandarin blends in well. A very pleasing sweet citrus fragrance that is perfect for the warmer weather. The only downside is the longevity which is short on myself. I have to re apply the fragrance throughout the day. Very refreshing.
Update: This is very short lived on my skin which is a shame as when I first apply it the scent is amazing. Is Hadrien Absolu any better?
This is the quickest I have ever gone through a full 100ml size bottle, there is only about 10ml left. Stunning citrus fragrance but shockingly poor longevity. Is there anyway to prolong this on your skin?

LesleyA

I'm a sucker for sweet, bright citrus. Especially lemon. Finally tried this and it is as luscious and delicious smelling as I had hoped! My arm was just bursting and fizzing with mouthwatering lemon and mandarin! It's starting to heat up here in TX, and this treat made me feel at least a few degrees cooler, and very refreshed. I was headachy, and losing steam at the end of a long errand-run, and this put the pep back in my step.:)
Something I loved about this scent was the dry-down. I am anti musky/woody dry-downs. At least on me. It makes finding a perfume I love a definite challenge. There are so many scents I absolutely enjoy-until the dreaded dry-down. But I digress....
As this dried I kept trying to decide what orange/lemon sweets it was reminding me of...tic tacs? Fruit loops? Smarties? Then I realized it was chewable baby aspirin!!!
I loved the taste of baby aspirin too alarmingly much when I was little. I wish I could still take them, I have to admit.
So, some will no doubt read this and think, "yuck!" but even though baby aspirin sounds artificial and medicinal, it really is just this light little whisper of pleasantly sweet citrus that lingers and lingers. No musk to be found! Yay!

meg1969
meg1969

Move over Versace Versense, with all your limey goodness. I have found my new favorite citrus summer fragrance! Unlike some of the citrus scents out there, this feels very "organic" without a lot of synthetic ingredients. Though I am not a huge citrus fan in general, wow to me this one is very sophisticated.

Renata tang
Renata tang

ginger???

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is a very clean, green, soap and water type fragrance on me. It is a bit unisex - more androgynous than some of the other fragrances that I really like, and almost could hint at the same notes that you smell in some men's after shaves... but is still registering unisex-feminine.

It is perfect for a casual day when you are wanting to blend in and run errands or just hang out. Very spring/summer-ish.

I prefer Eau de Ciel and Cabotene - over this fragrance, because they are a bit sweeter and more feminine... but I like this fragrance for days when I want to have a bit more citrus and less floral.

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

I've read that Leonardo DiCaprio wears this. I've never smelled it, but I'd like to.

Deppaholic

Everybody else has summed it up pretty good, I agree. It is lemon pledge at first, then after about 20 minutes, I get a lovely lovely floral. I think I will have to buy a bottle of this. Somehow, after that lemon pledge, which is unbearable on me, then the beautiful light summer fragrance comes through. Very feminine. I think you'd have to make sure you got a fresh bottle. Somehow I feel that this fragrance would turn very quickly. There are some lovely layers after the lemon pledge. I can't say about how long or sillage because I only put a dab on my wrist. I can say I like it A LOT. Yet, not in love with it. Not today anyway. I think it would be a good one to have in your arsenal though.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I was going to do a review of this, when I read the one review before mine and decided that it pretty much sums it up!

from suzrwin:

"A burst of realistic lemon and grapefruit is joined shortly thereafter by aldehydes and ylang-ylang. (aldehydes tend to screech on my skin, but it's not too bad with Eau d'Hadrien). Finally, a green cypress jumps in the mix."

Although I believe I was personally more impressed with it, that is what I got from it as well. Smells very expensive as always with AG fragrances! It is small bottle worthy for me.

suzrwin
suzrwin

A burst of realistic lemon and grapefruit is joined shortly thereafter by aldehydes and ylang-ylang. (aldehydes tend to screech on my skin, but it's not too bad with Eau d'Hadrien). Finally, a green cypress jumps in the mix. Although I like citrusy scents, this doesn't make me swoon with love, nor does it offend. I can see the appeal for a hot summer day. For me, however, it is not full-bottle worthy.

stephanieklein
stephanieklein

No matter how lovely, it just DOES NOT LAST on the skin. It doesn't. Not a chance. It's as fleeting as a rainbow.

kamcorn
kamcorn

I found this perfume by using this web site. I looked for a replacement for Jo Malone Verbenas of Provence. It is a great choice. I might even like it better, it is a little stronger and lasts longer.

Redpula
Redpula

A generous dab on my right arm. Right off the bat, the star of the show is definitely lemon and citron, all the way. Superb citrus, no sweetness, not too sour, but very refreshing and relaxing. It made me smile at first sniff, well blended perfume at the start.

Few minutes after, the citrus is toning down equally lining up as a soft ylang ylang with aldehydes made an entrance. Remarkable, light and refreshing. Very simple but comforting. This is the more subtle, close to skin version of Balmain Monsieur.

If you do not have a beautiful citrus perfume for spring and summer, give this a bottle shot. It could be your signature scent on these seasons. It doesn't smell like a toilet cleaner or air freshener. It is to sniff with respect. A very safe perfume that would earn compliments to men and women.

As for me, I don't need a full bottle of this no matter how beautiful and light Hadrien is because I already have enough lemon/citrus perfumes on my wardrobe.

antfarm
antfarm

I used to have a bottle of the EDP and it was my go-to perfume for summer. It was a bright, clean, and happy little thing, but the bottle expired very quickly (within a month of purchase). When the scent went off it smelled like gross old dusty osmanthus flowers drowning in maple syrup.

But anyway, on to describing the scent when it was still "alive": Starts out very lemony, like pure citrus juice on the skin. Kind of weird, but not unpleasant. Fades into a beautiful shampoo scent and lasts for several hours smelling like gorgeous hair washed by grapefruit juice.

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

Eau d'Hadrien was my free gift when I bought Gardenia Passion in the last '90s. I liked it, but it doesn't work well on me these days - a bit too soapy now for my taste.

DariDahlia
DariDahlia

Remember Jean Naté? This reminds me of an expensive version. Nice & citrusy & clean. No real complaints, except that I don't like Ylang-Ylang and I wish this was more floral. Other than that it's perfect!
This would be a nice fragrance for someone who wants to smell nice but not overpowering and not perfum-y. Very non-offensive.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I have the EDT and it doesn't smell citrusy or fresh to me. It has a woody and nutty and a hint of tea smell, maybe it's my body chemistry. I am not loving this at all.

Update:
I must have had a bad bottle. I smelled it again from another bottle and it's amazing. Clean light lemony smell. Just love it.

austinmanix
austinmanix

This was my first introduction to Annick Goutal and I now own 3 different scents (Eau d'Hadrien, Mandragore and Eau du Sud). I recently placed an order for Nerolí and Ninfo Mio. For the most part, I really enjoy the entire line of Annick Goutal. One of the recent scents, Mon Parfum Chéri Par Camille is a beautiful and sexy scent for that special lady in your life. My Grandmother said that it reminded her of the scents she wore in the 30's and 40's.

Cereza
Cereza

Mediocre citrus fragrance that could be worn by both sexes any time around - a very weak staying power (few hours) and sits close to skin, not so expensive though, so this *might* be forgivable.
Opened with a sparkly citrus and pretty much stayed the same for the whole ride. At the heart citrus changed to sweeter grapefruit and cypress joined in a bit saving this and making this more interesting. Nothing much else to add though. Another citrus which is simply "too simple" for me to even think about getting a bottle.

I'm not the citrusy kind. Too much lemon and citrus for me. This one doesn't speak to me.

wbp
wbp

I absolutely love this one!!!! perfect for the hottest summer days here in Italy. Thanks Nemosh for send me this little tresure!!!

Guest_stephanie.hamrick
Guest_stephanie.hamrick

Now, see, if I'd known this was unisex, I'd have known better than to try it. Another victim of "Nordstrom doesn't separate women's frags from unisex." It's absolutely lovely on a test paper, but not on me.

grasslands
grasslands

This is for Eau d’Hadrien edp. I love citrus scents and this does not disappoint. Today it’s a dry and sunny 38°C in Melbourne (Aust). The bracing lemon and soft cypress combination are perfect for this weather. Depending on the temperature different notes are prominent. At the moment the citrus rind and the pine facets of cypress are most notable. On other days it’s sweet and woody with prominent juice notes. I once tried it on a cold spring day and I literally had to go and put on a jumper, it was so cooling. The longevity is reasonable at four hours for this type of fragrance and the sillage is close to the skin, but really, would you want a cloying sillage bomb in this heat?

I feel sorry for all those people with Pledge-itis. Thankfully my cleaning products don’t smell like lemon and I can enjoy citrus accords without being reminded of housework. I'm reminded of the big lemon tree in my backyard instead. Mind you if EH smells like Pledge, Pledge must smell pretty damn good.

Ps what a great review by ericrico

ericrico
ericrico

My review for the Masculine bottling of Hadrien Absolu...

Sharp, vibrant and vivid notes of beautiful lemons (yes, gorgeous Amalfi Lemons, Heather.H.Weber!) combine in the top with grapefruit, and a squeeze of mandarin orange. This gets every part of the lemon - from the juice to the pulp to the bitter rind (just wonderful)! A green note is detected on top - herbal in nature and wonderful (it actually stays and evolves with the citrus maintaining its crisp freshness with a greenness underneath). Whoever thinks this is too bitter - I totally disagree. It is citric in nature, but no sour notes that are off-putting whatsoever or anything even remotely related to cleaning products (please!) This is extremely natural smelling - the house of Annick Goutal uses very high-quality ingredients and it shows here incredibly!

This is for people who have a passion for such wonderful classic citrus scents in the realm of Acqua di Parma, Eau Sauvage and more recently, Monsieur Balmain...but in EdP strength and added depth of wonderful cypress, light ylang-ylang and a touch of aldehydes. A wonderful, niche-quality citrus of depth, but retaining a sparkle...brilliant!

GypsyParfumista really hit this one on the head - excellent review and distinction between this bottling and the original, Eau d'Hadrien. I have tested and worn Eau d'Hadrien and love it - as many times as I've contemplated a full-bottle purchase, it just didn't happen. By the time I made my decision "firm"...the scent had faded and I felt like I had to let go of my lover's hand. It was a difficult choice to restrain myself, as I consider all Goutal bottlings to be absolute olfactory art.

When I heard about Hadrien Absolu, I pondered the thought and then started looking for a bottle (knowing how much I adored the scent of Eau d'Hadrien on its own merit). I wanted this sooner - but it wasn't to be. So, here I am in the middle of winter in Northern California and I find a bottle for the Spring & Summer. My oh my, this is so beautiful. The lemons, when blending with the cypress, a wonderful accord of a green, zesty lemon smell comes to mind - lemon verbena or petit grain with verbena in a blender (all leaves, herbs with a full squeeze of fresh lemon juice). However - that is how it presents itself initially and in the heart, it warms to show the beautiful, sharp cypress...a touch woody but fragrant and ethereal. It never loses its radiant freshness...

A wonderful delight and the essence of how a great citrus can still be made with originality. I would not compare it to any other scent, but say that it is a truly exceptional and rich aromatic citrus unto itself. No rating. Again, for the Goutal house - pure adoration.

Highly recommended, especially for those who love this realm of scent. I absolutely do - and this is, indeed, a stand-out composition and presentation of brilliant ingredients.

heather.h.weber
heather.h.weber

Reminds me of the huge and delicious sweet smelling Amalfi lemons on my first trip along the Amalfi Coast line. Brings back wonderful memories of my first trip to Italy and Capri!

suiteladybug
suiteladybug

Don't rule this out as a fragrance that you can layer with other stronger, sweeter scents. Eau d'Hadrien is a sophisticated interpretation of the lemon citrus fruit accented by complementary citruses and the cypress tree. The ylang ylang (the flower of flowers) in it is very,very light. It has the smell of Fruity Pebbles, which I love.

It is a complete scent however but good for times when you want to experiment with layering with for instance with a lotion of a different scent or even a single note perfume to make it sparkle.

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

My first AG frag. I chose this one b/c of the good yet mixed reviews and I like a happy citrus scent during the summer. Well . . . . this is indeed lemony. At first spritz too much so . . . PURE LEMON PLEDGE!!! I thought I would gag. Then, the honey appeared and I got "good old fashion southern lemonade". Ok so smelling like lemonade isn't THAT bad is it?? Then later while piddling about the house, I kept getting this waft of really soft, sweet and refreshingly pleasing citrus. . . not sour lemons or high octane lemonade just light, fresh, clean, sunny lemons and ruby red grapefruit nicely grounded with woody notes. I can see the unisex quality too. I like it. Will not buy agian, but this big bottle should last forever and I can't see it becoming dated because it is so simple. . . . lemons and grapefruits will always be lemons and grapefruits.

ver jaina
ver jaina

smells exactly like Axion dishwasher soap on my skin, almost no longevity and vanished within minutes...but thanks DC for the samples, i had the chance to test this :)

cronai
cronai

This is simply GORGEOUS!

It is one of my favorite perfumes ever. It is fresh and clean, which are perfect qualities when you live in a tropical city, as I do; however, it manages to be different from all the other fresh and clean fragrances that I know.

It has a personality all of its own.

I honestly can't smell all you guys do in a perfume, other than the most basic ingredients, so I wouldn't be able to tell what goes in it to make it so magnificent.

To me, this is just as well. I love perfumes to keep their mysteries to themselves.

KeLLStar
KeLLStar

I am basing my review on the EDT.

Eau d'Hadrien is termed as Unisex. Whenever I see the word "unisex" I'm wary as the scent usually still leans on one side (be that masculine or feminine - usually the former) however Eau d'Hadrien is neither & I would most probably call it asexual as it is neither feminine, nor masculine if you know what I mean?

This fragrance starts with a super fresh just cut lemon scent, not long after a lovely fresh grapefruit & mandarin combines with the lemon & it is mouthwatering! Just when you think you have Eau d'Hadrien figured out the cypress/aldehydes gives it an unusual herb type quality & the ylang ylang gives it a tiny soft edge.It's simple yet unique & classy.

I see many people compare this perfume to cleaning products, well I don't use lemon cleaning products often & the ones that I have used certainly don't smell like this!

Eau d'Hadrien is simply perfect for Summer. It's definitely an aromatic scent that is really energising.

Lasting power is not too bad on my skin, I get a few hours out of the EDT. It will last even longer if you layer it over moisturiser. The scent seems to lie close to the skin but I get lovely whiffs of it during the day.

It also seems like a perfect layering scent, I am eager to try it with vanilla or sandalwood as I think they would compliment it very well.

I highly recommend you try Eau d'Hadrien!

biancaloren
biancaloren

hits you with LEMON in capital letters then dries down to a absolutely divine melody of citrus and green woods - reminds me a smidgeon of eau de lancome in the green bottle.
received a tester from a friend and I LOVE IT. will buy it when I find it on my journey through perfume counters.

Newton7
Newton7

First of all, this fragrance, despite being beautiful, doesn't take to the atmosphere of Marguerite Yourcenar's novel. Not even close.

Then,$108 for a lemony herbal fragrance that only lasts a breath?

Add all the poetry you want, but no thanks. That's not the way i imagine an emperor like Hadrian was.

ChrisInBrooklyn
ChrisInBrooklyn

I love this, I only wish it lasted longer. It is certainly a fresh citrus, but there is a unique creaminess I love that I find in this as well as Eau d'Charlotte. I wear it to bed for sweet dreams. Not long lasting at all and poor sillage...both of which may last on my skin maybe 15 minutes.

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien (one of their first) is a simple yet complicated one trick pony. Good for the day, good for the night.

A glorious single note citrus scent that is a perfect summer choice for those long, hot humid summer daze. Light and refreshing. It's bottled fun in the sun!

Sillage is ok but longevity on the EDT is very weak. Gone before you can say Good Day Sunshine! Best to pony up for the EDP.

Do not believe I hear any kudos here for the AG bottles. I find them classy and timeless.

It is unfortunate most household cleaners have all developed an upscale citrus component that has crimped the style of all citrus frags. Says more for the sophistication of the detergent companies efforts then the fragrance houses that now have to live with the comparison. I imagine when this launched in 1981 that was not such of a problem.

rdickey
rdickey

Smells like weeds!

OTA Mom
OTA Mom

I strongly disagree that this is a one-note lemon fragrance. Rather, it is a lovely symphony by an accomplished artist. A summer fragrance for a sophisticated events. I would not consider this for daily office wear.

PoppyDarling
PoppyDarling

This is one of the most glorious fresh scents you could ever spritz on skin on a hot summer day. On me, it starts out with a blast of bright fresh lemon with a hint of green and warm peppery spice. And then it promptly evaporates. Rinse and repeat :) But I don't mind as this scent is--as others mentioned--absolute aromatherapy. Never overpowering, just clean and uplifting, and I get compulsive about spraying it. That could be a drawback because of the expense, but I look at it like the most sophisticated blend of all of my favorite essential oils. Get tons of compliments and Mmmmmm! comments when I wear it.

ahummingbird
ahummingbird

This is my Favorite! With all Annick Goutal fragrances you have to layer them if you want staying power...Bathe in the Bath Oil, use the Soap and Spray the Eau..
You can also dot the bath oil on your points for that extra!

Jayne58
Jayne58

This is a beautiful, fresh, natural, lemony herbal tonic for all of 30 minutes, after which I can barely detect anything. Because I love that first few minutes so much, I will persevere and experiment with the optimum amount and frequency and whether spraying on fabric will extend the longevity.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

citrus, citrus, citrus... bright herbal lemon scent; it's obviously acidic, but pleasant nevertheless. Perfect lemonade fragrance for summer.

Heverton
Heverton

A lovely lemon fragrance!! This is by far the best lemon fragrance I have ever came across. So fresh, so pure. This particular fragrance shines by it's simplicity. A lemon peel note that goes through the whole life of this fragrance giving us a invigorating sensation. Perfect for summer days.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

Very nice and fresh juicy lemon, almost like freshly made lemonade so really quite yummy. Trouble is, it doesn' last very long on me and considering how much it cost...well...you decide I guess

krmarich
krmarich

I have loved this sleeper that really started a move to natural perfumery. It always reminds me of winter and the needs for sunshine. AG managed to capture it in a bottle. Its pure citrus. Linear and lemony. There are also some green notes playing under this lemon grove. Its just beautiful and uplifting.

If you are expecting a big bold sex magnet, look elsewhere. This is pure self indulgence. I love it in the morning. I hate to use the word aromatherapy, but thats what it is. Its properties are a mood enhancer. Lets face it, all perfumes are a form of advanced aromatherapy. This one is much more obvious.

You have to respect the beauty of Annick Goutal. She was an incredible and unique talent in her time...

AveParfum
AveParfum

It seems like this is a single note lemon perfume--but I love it. I find it to be super refreshing and clean. It can definitely be worn by either a man or woman. I never thought I'd like such a linear lemony scent, but I do! I am very sensitive to "bathroom cleaner" lemon, and I don't detect any here. Just sun-ripened Amalfi lemons in this bottle. This seems like a great daily fragrance for right when you get out of the shower...works for any time of year, day or night, any time you want to just smell clean and even a bit uplifted.

Decodawn
Decodawn

An ideal holiday travel fragrance, light, refreshing, a real tonic in a bottle,

MarFreire
MarFreire

this perfume is simply the best! I'm using EDT and I'm on the hunt for EDP (Absolu) .. but still EDT goes far away on my skin.
Very similar L`eau du Jardin from Jardin Retrouve.

Duda
Duda

Just delicious!!!

johngreenink
johngreenink

Eau d'Hadrien comes very close to a citrus perfection. Maybe I'm being too poetic. And, I've only so far used the Eau De Toilette, but there is a subtle brilliance to this perfume that takes some time to appreciate.

Goutal managed to do something with citrus that transforms it into a complex olfactory experience that's bright and optimistic but also has a deeper base that leaves a gentle footprint on the skin. Usually citrus scents evaporate fast, but this one last longer than most openings. It evolves the way you'd peel and eat a red grapefruit - sweet oil on the skin, the bitter aromatic pith, the juicy pulp. Somehow, all those aspects are held in suspension in Hadrien, held in check by the cypress base.

This is a wonderful perfume, and a true scientific miracle of scent creation.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I don't find this too feminine at all, and I usually am the first to call some of these "unisex" fragrances a little too frilly for most men. There is more than just cypress in the base of this...I detect sandalwood, and it gives it a very thick, solid and masculine feel in my opinion. Love it! Has the feel of some of the more vintage citrus frags...Armani Eau Pour Homme, even a touch of Eau Sauvage. Tastefully done, as all of Annick's fragrances, and wonderfully mature. Will get definite time on my skin!

Orpheus99
Orpheus99

This smells exactly like putting your nose up to a freshly sliced lemon - the fleshy part, not the rind. Very realistic lemon. Stays like this throughout, but fades over the course of an hour to next to nothing. I have to put my nose right up to where I sprayed to get even a hint. Not a bad smell, but lacks the complexity and longevity I like in a fragrance. Grade: C+

candymarie
candymarie

Pure lemon, grapefruit, cypress. What you see is what you get. No hidden agenda here. So fresh and uplifting. I just received a bottle from a wonderful swapper, and it's so nice to have a true citrus aromatic again!

Bonus: I know some people think layering different perfumes together is sacreligious, but I just discovered purely by accident that Hadrien mixes well with Amarige Mariage! I'd forgotten I'd just spritzed my wrist with Mariage, and when my package of Hadrien arrived I just sprayed right on top of it. They work really, really well together! Go figure!

TawnyMoon
TawnyMoon

Didn't like this, disappointing I expected it to be a lot nicer. It smelt fresh but too much like bathroom cleaner on me. Perhaps its because I have a slightly oily skin? perhaps it just didn't like me!

Louvenia
Louvenia

A juicy,bright,happy sicilian lemon in a bottle!Very refreshing,spontaneous,cristal fresh lemon scent.It's not sharp nor harsh.Slightly sweet lemon scent.Very suitable for hot months or humid weather.The only disadvantage is the low lasting power.Nothing new on this as most of citrus scents have low lasting power.If you like lemon make an exception and try it.

I am a HUGE cypress fan and love amalfi lemons (and just about any other kind too), so I requested some of this in a decant swap from another member. To my surprise i received 5 ml of Eau d'Hadrien and a 1ml vial of Hadrien Absolu (the strongest concentration). My decant is already 1/2 gone so I have kept from wearing it until I get more!

The EDT is friggin gorgeous: cool, sour and sparkly with a clean and almost floral/feminine feel to it, until the grapefruit kicks in and it gets a bit more unisex (to my nose). There is something about cypress that makes me just sigh and float away. Maybe, it is the sheer pungent greenness of it; maybe, the rich sharp exotic aroma of the foliage that echoes the resiny wood and soft yet "piney" sharp feel of the leaves; whatever it is, I am in love with it...and, incidentally, also with Eau d'Hadrien as well. If cypress trees bore golden yellow citrus fruits, THIS is what a grove of them would smell like. Sharp, bracing, woody, zesty and rich, but NOT too heavy. According to the PR, these are some of the scents that the Hadrien (emperor of Rome in the fifth century) preferred in his bath, and were meant to resemble a mediterranean grove. Annick Goutal was inspired by the novel of his life by Marguerite Yourcenar when creating this perfume...and I believe Hadrien would have been proud of her creation, and would have loved some of this after a bath! I know I do...

HADRIEN ABSOLU: Divide the lemon, grapefruit and citron by half and add more cypress...GOOD GODS! I must get a bottle of the Absolu!! Here is a (bitter/sour) citrus and cypress lover's perfumed dream come true!

EDT Sillage: close
EDT Longevity: good
EDT Overall: 3.75/5

HA(edp) Sillage: good
HA(edp) Longevity: great
HA(edp) Overall: 4.5/5

Ed'H is LEMONY (for sure) and the green is more subtle, but present. HA has much more of a cypressy green vibe and is a much longer lasting yet more masculine and elegant scent, in my opinion. If I had to pick ONE to have as a FB, it would be HA without a doubt!

While searching for a bottle to purchase, I saw that the "fancy" rounded and silk ribbon and tagged AG bottle is EDP (available in 50 and 100ml) and the EDT is in the square more "masculine" shaped bottle in 100mls. HA only comes in the square bottle and is only available (where I shop) in a 100ml spray.

Despite many members complaints that AG scents do NOT last all that long, I find the longevity of this to be quite impressive, especially in the EDP and Absolu!

afrancum1
afrancum1

i recently bought this fragrance and i love it! it is definitely simple and more a summer fragrance-refreshing and sparkly-love love love! definitely have to be a citrus lover though- true that it doesn't last that long but doesn't put me off it- a happy scent

Miss.Dior Cherie
Miss.Dior Cherie

I Love That I love him I love him more than I can say that this perfume is for true lovers with lemon and citrus ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Roma27
Roma27

I love citrusy scents but Eau d Hadrien is just too lemony for my liking. It's far to linear in compostion. Sorry but I expected a bit more being my first Annick Gouttal purchase, luckily for me I only purchased a mini.

Edit: will consider this in scorching hot weather just for the refreshing cool lemon though!

Louw
Louw

Way too lemony for my tastes, and I have to say there were undertones of bathroom cleaner in there. Disappointing, because it's so highly regarded and I really wanted to like it.

Migotka
Migotka

I am not a huge fan of citrus fragrances, but I appreciate those which are well done. L'Eau d'Hadrien is all about citruses and powder. A juice squeezed out of lemons and grapefuits topped up with loads of lemon peel and some herbs.

A few people mentioned cleaning products in their reviews, and unfortunately, I had this association as well. L'Eau can be a very elegant fragrance, but it also has this touch of 'washing liquid citrus fresh' quality. As usually in case of AG fragrances, despite the freshness, there is also a bit of dust.

It does not work for me unfortunately, but maybe it is worth giving it another go when it's nice outside?

this is a tart, and i mean really tart and fresh perfume. i love it. i think this will be great in the summer. i love perfume like this, just over-all refreshing and clean. it goes on strong, almost bitter, but dosen't stay that way. you end up with a warm, but not hot, crystal-clear citrus scent. one of my very favorites

kwcarr00
kwcarr00

This perfume was not launced in 2007, rather that was the 25th anniversary for the fragerance. A special rectangulary bottle with butterflys and flowers was made to celebrate it's 25th anniversary. This is the most elegant perfume of all time. It lasts all day and night by spraying the outside of my bra cups with the Eau De Parfum, 10-12 sprays each. Let is dry for at least 20 minutes or the oils can be irritating. The closet is filled with the fragrance until laundry is done.

RavenDarkholme
RavenDarkholme

Citrus are definitly NOT my cup of tea. It's a pleasent, simple but rich fragrance and I can understand why so many people love it. It's so much more natural and fresher (cleaner or brighter in some way) than other citrics like DKNY or CK summer but, sadly, not my thing.

sabina
sabina

The best!

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

I don't like citrus fragrances, because they usually are like "vapourized juice in sauna". This one is quite different, you feel the smell of flowers and grown up fruits from the lemon tree. And the cypress note is so lovely!
This one could be a light version of Dirty Sexy Wilde by Opus oils.

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

This is without a doubt enjoyable. It's just simply lemon with a hint of cypress to add some depth albeit not much. It's incredibly simple, I can't stress this enough. This scent is great if you just want something less fussier than other perfumes with layers of notes, especially deep base notes.

This perfume, I would say, sparkles. So refreshing, and if you ever handled fresh lemons in the kitchen and couldn't help but breathe in the air around the oily rind of the citrus, you will definitely enjoy this. I love the smell of citrus, especially lemons, and this is great for that experience.

But, sadly, this is one that goes unnoticed by others. I'm blaming the sillage which is very very weak. It lasts maybe 2-3 hours tops, and, sadly, after that, you're the only one enjoying it.

Guest_Blimunda
Guest_Blimunda

Eau d'Hadrien is one of the two citrus fragrances that my nose does not complain about and actually, adores it!! The other one is Nobile 1942, Vespriesperidati and I find them quite similar with a slight difference that the former is the purest lemon juice I have ever came across in a fragrance while the latter is less monotone and more creamy.

Eau d'Hadrien gives very natural feeling of this sunny fruit, although people tend to associate the smell of lemon with room fresheners, but i still do not mind that, I find it my summer energy injection! :) It is full of light and good vibrations that swirl throughout it, I highly recommend it both to citrus lovers and those who are fans of it, it is breathtaking!

Love it, thank you nathalieZ!!! :)

la louve
la louve

First smell: Its really near to cleaning products (???)... but only near and not similar... for me! :-)
I like to layer it with "Vanille Exquise" (Annick Goutal) and then it smells like a fresh "cheesecake"... like my husband bakes it... mmmmh.... that´s a "home-sweet-home-smell" for me... lovely !!! LOVE FROM LOUVE

ROBERTO
ROBERTO

My favourite citrus and a must have in my wardrobe. It was created by Annick Goutal and Henri Sorsona. Why the name of Francis Camail ?

I find Eau d'Hadrien to be very bright and quite lemony sharp at the beginning before it settles down to something more like a citrus blossom; less sharp, less citrusy, and more floral feel. The green herbal quality is very faint and it's quite good. This fragrance doesn't excite me however. It's just lacking something which I am not sure of, and it's more suitable for women.

Zhara
Zhara

To say that Eau d'Hadrien takes me back to childhood is of course meaningless to most, and might lead some to erroneously assume that I was reared on a lemon farm.

In fact, I had the distinct privilege of growing up in poverty as to material goods, but rich in imagination-stimulating catalysts such as books, music, and scent. Spices from my father's culinary activities filled the house, a hint of of green slipping in from our rural surroundings, and in the summer, when the lack of air conditioning was most piquant - a cloud of Love's Fresh Lemon was just the thing. At least it was at the time.

Sadly, Loves Fresh Lemon is today nothing of what I remember. Delightfully, Eau d'Hadrien is a closer representation - and includes an excellent herbal base that lingers for a considerable time. The herbal base in particular invokes the happier notes from the yard, the kitchen - while other reviewers say "woody" - I'd have to disagree - herbs here, I'd swear it. Maybe even a clipping or two of privet hedge as well.

Not easy to make citrus, especially lemon, in any way complex. Les Parfums de Rosine has done it well with Un Zeste de Rose, but of course rose is the star in that number. Eau d'Hadrien makes the lemon the star, but it shares P.dR's ability make that note share nicely with a complex set of other notes - no mean feat.

There are other frags that will lighten and brighten your summer with more intrigue, but sometimes one isn't seeking intrigue, but instead, simplicity, well done. Find it here.

moly
moly

Sometimes I need a scent that is inoffensive, fresh and subtle. And this one is prefect option for such moments.It was quite long lasting for a citrus fragrance - I could smell it faintly 6 hours after spraying.

Xandria
Xandria

i bought it without testing and i kind of like it. beautiful bottle. good for hot days BUT it does smell like spa. why do i have to pay a lot for this while i can get the perfume oil that smells exactly the same for $10 in my country?

maatgirl
maatgirl

With its citrus/herbaceous scent, Eau d'Hadrien fills the role of a great cologne and it is great for hot days and muggy climates. That said, it is too simplistic for my tastes year round. I have a 50 mL bottle that I will use liberally and enjoy until it is empty, but I will not repurchase this; I think it is over-priced for what you get.

f1focus
f1focus

Citrus but I don't think this smells Lemon Pledge at all. There's an herbal not chemical ending to the scent.

guest_dissernin
guest_dissernin

wow..was quite surprised to read some of the reviews ..
this is an equisite fragrance ...
agree " lemon & woods" ...
with some hint of vanilla ...
i don't smell cleaner at ALL ..
someone wrote it's more like aromatherapy than perfume ....
very true .....
on me longlasting & complex ..
not at all feminine ..a bit darng somehow ..
i enjoy it immensely ...

falovalo
falovalo

Lemons! Lemons!! Lemons!!! One of the most lemony, citric perfumes I've ever smelled. It reminds me of Pledge Furniture Polish. Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible fragrance, it's not humid and doesn't remind of rotting lemon peel, like some other citrus fragrances. It is somewhat pleasant, in that it's a clean lemon scent, kind of fun actually.

mocha43
mocha43

I got a sample of this when I purchased Eau du Ceil. Unfortunately the first blast was of Lemon Pledge and it did not mellow out. As has been said, there are many lemon household cleaners on the market, and this is what it smells like on me.

guest_dantas,lc
guest_dantas,lc

Maravilhoso no início. Cítrico intenso, evoluindo rapidamente para algo mais quente, resultando no final uma fragrância comum, que lembra muito o men's club 52 de helena rubinstein. chega a ser decepcionante em se tratando de uma casa como annick goutal

cloyd42
cloyd42

Citrus in the generic sense--bright and pleasant but not a lot of character. If you work you can distinguish lemon (more of the sweeter Capri types) and grapefruit. Dry down is odd--intensely herbal finishing with cumin. This would be a good one to drown in on a very hot sunny day but it's a bit of a disappointment from Annick Goutal.

EAU D'HADRIEN is my first foray into the perfumes of Annick Goutal, and I must say that I am disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high, as I have often gazed upon these beautiful bottles and wondered what might be contained inside...

What I find upon my initial spritz of EAU D'HADRIEN is a Demeter-like rendition of Lemon Pledge. As the lemon oil quickly dissipates, an herbaceous quality emerges and lingers for a few minutes, before the entire fragrance evaporates into the cosmos, disappearing altogether from my skin. Given the minimalist notes, devoid of fixatives or resins or what not, such extreme ephemerality is to be expected.

Well, needless to say, I won't be purchasing EAU D'HADRIEN, but I'll try some other Annick Goutal offerings to see whether they might have something a bit more enticing...

RobLyn
RobLyn

Very strong bold scent, did not do well on me. Left a strong sour like air around. Not pleasant at all, passed it on to my niece and she liked it, didn't love but liked it. She tends to like more manish scents that I do.

Vixie
Vixie

This is not a new scent as I bought it in Monaco at the Annick Goutal boutique in the early 90s. I was captivated by its top notes, as well as by its floral compatriot, Eau de Gardenia, but was never able to wear it well. The fragrance did not last and the citrus would be overpowering on my skin, almost acidic.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This scent starts out with a lovely strong bouquet of mixed citrus, but the top notes are out of the vial and on to their next destination before I even have time to wear and enjoy them. Once they're gone, there's not much left except a low-level woody, musky note that also disappears within a couple of hours. I know this is an eau de toilette and dosed accordingly, so I don't think my experience was due to applying too little. If another citrus scent, Eau de Rochas, is the marathon runner of citrus scented EdTs, lasting all day, Eau d'Hadrien is the 100 meter sprinter, Usain Bolt, leaping out of the starting blocks with a dramatic flourish and finishing in record time. I'd prefer that my scent stick around for a while, at least until I can get home and try something else.

Victoria Regia
Victoria Regia

I can't seem to appreciate this one (and neither does my fiancee). I own a bottle and tried wearing it many times, but all I feel is tomato salad (vinaigrette and all), lemon peel and fern. I feel dirty and unshowered in this. In fact, I had originally bought Eau du Sud (which to me smells like an expensive soap bar), but after hearing complaints from my fiancee, I had it exchanged for this one. I wished I had kept Eau du Sud, because I could at least wear it for my own enjoyment.

rikari
rikari

Hadrianus was a real big traveller, who filled the predominant part of his reign with the farther parts of the realm visiting. Was enthusiastic about Greece, the Greek culture, he had his hair and his beard sheared according to a Greek fashion. The emperor with melancholic nature withdrew often, that excluding the external world his mood let him be allowed to contemplate and let him rest. The earthly life enjoyed his goods with a subtle skill as one feeling drawn towards both gender. Loved to bathe in his pools with cool water, where with special fragrances, and spoiled himself with volatile oils. The perfume named after him explosive fresh, sparkling, aromatic citrous fragrance. We may be the participiant of this experience promptly as soon as we blow it onto our seed. Our bath prepared carefully, Sicily island beside ripened lemons grapefruit mingles, that oily takes care of our dry leather with dripping down. The cypress radiates mild woody tartness enhancing the refreshing effect, favouring the strength of the grapefruit with this. Their row is waited for impatiently already in the fragrance casket, that spoil the cleanness fragrance lavender, and the thyme encouraging our senses. All of them get into the water in a row, and from the refreshment, the cypre after an embrace one all members stretching out calmness brings our senses under control. Our eye napping we feel it as the wind brings a sweet fragrance of flowers from the gardens. The day in one going down already, but yet his last beam, than ignited road, shows his fervid strength, which measures its strength against the cool wind now, for us. Servants hurry, that on the end of the bathing with a soft veil drink our well-groomed leather the fragrant one, and from the oil water drops playing in a rainbow. The day disappeared from the horizon as our fragrance blended into our leather finally. The lights are blown out, with this the fragrance fades. The leafy branches of the cypresses aiming at tall one bid farewell to last one in this classic fragrance, that with few components, though with masterful elegance solved his creator.

holly13
holly13

I would love to test this since I am looking for the best grapefruit perfume.

They say perfumes that are citrus are uplifting.

You can use smells and color to make someone happier. Also living in a clean house and inviroment makes you happer. It is essential to mental health!

guynspfld
guynspfld

I thought it was a citronella candle....Oddly I like it. I sprayed some on, but it didnt seem to last...I will have to try it again

TheNoseKnows
TheNoseKnows

With all the stinky, powdery, nose-crinkling mall-scents on the market, Annick Goutal's eau d'Hadrian may be one of the freshest,cleanest scents out there. It's a trustworthy go-to, and really suits any mood, any season. For when you want to feel pretty, smell fresh, sophisticated, and light, eau d'Hadrian beats all. For all you out there who thinks it smells like Pledge, OK, I might I agree with you in specific regards to the body lotion in same scent, but the EDP?! Please!!! It's 1st Class all the way. Period.

I do believe that the sales assistant must have been misinformed or confused when she thought I would like Eau D'Hadrien when I had made it quite obvious that I loved my florals and had little tolerance for citrusy fragrances.

When I got home and opened up my 15ml sample of this fragrance, to put it bluntly, I was horrified.

Seeming that every cleaning solution in my house is lemon scented, this fragrance certainly doesn't remind me of happier times. Had I been born a billionairess and had someone else do my household chores perhaps my view of this fragrance would be a little different.

Also having alcohol added as an obvious component to this fragrance, only makes me think of tequila with lemon and salt, usually after five tequila shots too many.

There's no doubt in my mind that Eau D'Hadrien is more expensive and sophisticated smelling than detergent, however that still doesn't make me love it.

To me this isn't a bright, happy and uplifting fragrance, it's more sharp and rigid. Perhaps a fragrance better suited to men rather than women.

With that being said, I will be trying this on my man just to see whether the scent becomes more likable that way.

On a better note, this fragrance lasts well, I guess that's one good aspect. But unfortunately this fragrance fails in my opinion.

mellybee
mellybee

Eau d'Hadrien starts with sparkling citruses. These fruits aren't sweet and dissipate quickly. As it dries down, it reminds me of over-ripe pineapple tempered by the dryness of cedar. The cedar becomes dominate to my nose and it remains right through to the end.
Even though it doesn't last too long, it's really refreshing.

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

It's an herbal lemon tea...but too pine-sol like for me initially. Then it fades into a bittersweet lemonade with a dash of thyme to keep it earthy. For some reason, I get lavander...or maybe it reminds me of lavander because of its bright yet relaxing aroma. I feel that this is more of a sophisticated citrus juice that can't be worn by the younger generation who prefer a sweet juicy citrus nowadays. Not modern...but classic and sophisticated.

PR

should update this review. Though it still smells like toilet refresher to me, it is kind of proved to be quite addictive scent as well..gees

I rather started to like it's simplicity.
With today's mentality full of detergents and refresheners, and almost every single of them smelling citrus's, I found it to be quite challenging to try citrus scents, even the more complex of them bring back the smell of clean sink or toilet, and Im starting to want some of it on myself as well, ha ha:)

Nice, lemony herbal. Not heavily layered or complex, this is simple and clean-lined.

ruggierml0727
ruggierml0727

Eau de Hadrien is one of the(if not THE) most fabulous aromatic citrus scents I've ever owned! Thankfully, it retains its beautifully bitter notes of cypress, lemon and grapefruit from the moment you spray it on until it fades a long time after. It is so crisp, clean, understated and very sophisticated. I Love it!!!

PR

OMG..where should I start..
I tried this fragrance, because I was intersted what sort of perfume could become so popular among such a famous people and some of them with a great sense of style...

It is a merciless smell of sharp citrucy cleaning detergent.

Yup, THIS would kill any germ within half a meter even without touching it.
Someone should be bloody rich indeed, not to know how a toilet detergent smells:-))))))

This would serve perhaps as some explanation for me, why celebrities find it to be even ok...
My husband said he would rather wear La Perla J'Aime than Eau d'Hadrien:)))poor thing, what a dilemma!!:)but no threat here..

chance25
chance25

This strikes me as a very herbal, natural sort of yogi scent. I like to pair this w/ a lavender scented lotion and I feel at one with the universe. Lemon and woods, very lasting pefume(this is for the female version).

Urban Skies
Urban Skies

Gorgeous citrus! Fresh yet also dignified.

Sweeter and lighter than Eau du Sud

jeca

Very bright citric scent :o)