Designers » A » Oriental « Groups

Perfume Calligraphy Rose Aramis for women and men

Perfume Calligraphy Rose Aramis for women and men
dislike

smoky

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. Perfume Calligraphy Rose was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Trudi Loren. Top notes are oregano, saffron and honeysuckle; middle notes are turkish rose, myrrh, styrax and lavender; base notes are labdanum, musk, ambergris and olibanum.

Oregano Saffron Honeysuckle

Turkish Rose Myrrh Styrax Lavender

Labdanum Musk Ambergris Olibanum

Rose Oud
Shanti Shanti
Peacock Throne
White Aoud

Perfume Calligraphy Rose Fragrance Reviews

I agree that this should be tested before buying a full bottle, even though it's relatively inexpensive. I happen to adore it. In my experience, it goes on a powdery ombre rose with musky amber and light resinous woods, almost vintage in feel. It's a warm, powdered skin scent with elegance, like a hand-written invitation in rich black ink on heavy gold edged stock written by a lady in silk and roses. Okay, fantasy aside, it dries down to a delicious vanilla ice-cream/rose sherbet scent, heavy on the incense. I love it. You should not bathe in it (you should frankly NEVER bathe in your perfume; the world is getting too crowded as it is!) because it can get overpowering fast, but in moderation, this is a gem.

JPS1979
JPS1979

I'm glad I only purchased a tester of this. I love oud/rose combinations and incense based perfumes. The myrrh and musk are too much for me. The rose really stands out. It's just not my type of rose. If you like a smoky, even "smoggy" thick, oriental that isn't sweet, I recommend testing this. It has EXCELLENT projection and longevity. 9 hours later and I am still enveloped in its cloud of dirty, wilted, musky rose petals and cloudy myrhh.

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

Seems like anything less than glowing might not stay so I'm not sure how long my review will be around, but here it goes.

I've heard so many great things about Calligraphy Rose ever since it first came out. However cheaper buys are only for US, so I waited and waited until I got hold of a decant. But alas this is not what I was looking for.

The scent profile of this perfume is best described as pungent and sharp compared to other rose *oud* concoctions that I think are enveloping and warm. The rose is very prominent but overwhelmed by a great does of myrrh, olibanum, and ambergris. Yes it is smoky, and there's zero sweetness on my skin. Some reviewers noted down the medicinal sour smell of myrrh. Yes I got that too.

Others already mentioned about the sillage and longevity: this is a bomb. I was testing this and Zegna's Indonesian Oud together. After 1 spray of CR I cannot smell anything else.

A good rose for the myrrh lover, but I much prefer rose oud perfumes. They just seem more complex with the pleasant sweet woody note that cannot be found here.

perfumista1
perfumista1

Words are not enough to describe the beautiful fragrance. First of all price is good and secondly it has amazing longevity. Lastly had it not been a day when I worn and did not get asked about. 2 sprays and that is whole day whether summer or winter.

Excellently blended Rose , Saffron and resins. I fear it may also be discontinued as grabbed 3 bottles for myself.

Freedomlover
Freedomlover

Sweet intense beautiful and very long lasting. For the price it's a real beauty it should cost a lot more buy it if you like sweet unique fragrances. I bought mine from allbeauty.com they are selling at very fair price.

Calvini
Calvini

Hmm... Interesting, smells very familiar yet different. The rose starts off fresh and European, then turns dusty and dark as if instantly withered (like Tom Ford's jammy & bitter Oud Fleur mixed with Sonoma SS Rose Musc). The whole balmy aspect is very complex and well rounded as well (in order of strengths)--sweet & sticky myrrh, salty ambergris, warm & resinous labdanum, dry & leathery styrax, and lifting & slightly metallic olibanum/frankincense.
I wouldn't call this a rose fragrance because it has such a strong amber accord. It's definitely well worth the $50 you can find online (and it's even more potent than a lot of the Arabian cheapos)!

*It is definitely NOT similar to any rose-ouds from Kilian, Dior, Armani, or Jo Malone; however, it does remind me of Amber Mystique, though even more Oriental.

Update: Although I was quite mesmerized by it, it doesn't hold up against some of the best standalone rose or amber, but it's definitely one of the best hybrid around!

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

Starts off strong, musky and sour, almost like red wine. Once the alcohol dries off, the rose instantly appears. I was hoping this would be like Tom Ford Cafe Rose (my bottle is low), but it's far more musky and dirty. As a side by side comparison, Cafe Rose smells greener, fresher and way more sweetly floral. I blind bought this and I'm on the fence with it. For a rose scent this def tilts more masculine. This is basically a two note scent: bitter myrrh and dirty rose (in that order). Not sure where this would fall: day time or night time or casual or dressy. As a blind buy I can't recommend as of yet, I'll have to live with this one a bit and get back with ya'll...

Cherry_Darling
Cherry_Darling

Excellent oriental balsamic with not too overpowering rose. The only one similar and better than this is Armani rose arabie

MrsPress
MrsPress

This is scent is amazing! I recently bought a sample and as usual I couldn't wait to try it, so I sprayed it on the card. I was wearing a strong fragrance at the time, so I could just smell rose and was so disappointed. The next day, out of curiosity I smelled the card, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It was rose still, but also lavender, sweet resins (mostly a very sweet myrrh), ambergris, all with a barely there musk. This is now on my to buy list! On my skin, the opening is slightly masculine, once the top notes burn off it changes drastically to a smooth, sweet, almost candied rose...so beautiful. My only complaint...poor projection and longevity. I will still very likely be buying a FB, this scent it too good to pass up just because of poor performance, as it is pretty affordable.

kentabatinga
kentabatinga

This is a burning your nostrils screaming rose, just rose. I do not detect any other notes besides that loud rose all the way. You must love rose to try/get this. Maybe a not so safe blind buy for some. Rather feminine and I usually do not care for fragrance gender. Very potent, lasting way beyond 12 hours on two sprays only. This is not a skin scent also. Crazy projection. It won't be on my small collection for too long; gotta get rid of it. Anyone interested, I got a 100ml for sale (in the USA).

adice
adice

So, when I first spray this it's a soapy rose - like "fancy" soaps my grandma or aunts kept in the guest bathroom that never actually got used. About 30 minutes in the spices really bloom and I also get more amber (and whatever else gives this a sort of dark feeling...maybe the Myrrh or Styrax or other notes I'm not too familiar with?) and it becomes more masculine too I suppose - though I think it stays unisex the whole time. This one is really growing on me the more I wear it. I bought it online for about 20 bucks - it's well worth that price. It lasts through the whole workday and then some I'd say 10+ hours logevity with moderate sillage.
(Jan 2017)

kaka brar
kaka brar

I am fan of rose smell and this one satisfies my thirst for rose. Recently aquired a decant of this. Gonna buy a bottle soon . And the most important thing .it lasts long enough .

julmax
julmax

I have a large decant of this. I won't be buying a FB just because I ahve too much of everything, but it is a very pleasant perfume. I am not a huge rose fan but in this it feels like a rose jam and also reminds me of the Fresh rose petals mask, so creamy, sweet and "hugging". Today is an extreme polar vortex cold day here and this perfume works beautifully. I feel warm sugary vanilla, spices and general comfort. It,s been three hours since I put it on and it stays strong. Very nice winter choice for me.

adrienn99
adrienn99

well, first time I dabbed my sample on, thought it was more rose than the other notes but second time it smells different, it is more about myrrh and amber than rose. That is absolutely fine, just strange rose is still listed as top dominant note.

tandaina
tandaina

The rose in this isn't working for me. : I like the spices, they are refreshing and different but the rose is the same obnoxious slightly fake "tea rose" I get in so many cheap rose perfumes. :(

Edit: So after about 30 minutes the "tea rose" mellows and the spices and incense actually begin to show and the whole thing becomes much more pleasant. Still not sure this is FB worthy but at least it becomes enjoyable. So depending on your skin you may need to wait out the fake rose opening.

coltranedreams
coltranedreams

i tried it.

i bought it.

i had to.

Medea Aphrodisiac
Medea Aphrodisiac

Oh this is beautiful. Heavenly. I adore it! I love the heavenly rose and myrrh and incense - all the spices, the herbs - the everything! Beautiful! Gorgeous!

And lemonzest; your review is wonderful! It describes the experience of wearing Perfume Calligraphy Rose better than I could dream of. It's perfect! Thank you.

It's an absolutely fantastic perfume. I love, love, love it!!!

joliecat
joliecat

Really thought I'd love this one due to the notes listed, but NO, No, No. I tried wearing this in different weather temperatures, forcing myself to wear it all day and night for several weeks. No matter how hard I tried, it's definitely not for me.
On my skin this perfume is a mixture of Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, Perry Ellis 360 Red, and Dana Tabu. Too sweet, like cheap sweet/sour candy, and way too much root beer. MUCH too candy sweet to be unisex.
I'm sure some people can wear it well and enjoy it. Refuses to work with my chemistry.

mothwings
mothwings

This opens very sharp and unpleasant for me. It is medicinal, bitter, and the rose is so very sour. I had high hopes for this one from all the love on here, and I am pretty disappointed at my immediate recoil. After the harsh opening the sweetness begins to come through making the rose more clear. At this point it is nicer, but the rose still has a sharp sour edge to it that I do not like. It smells like a plastic flower. Even if it gets more jammy and smooth farther in the drydown I would still never get this due to the opening. I will be looking elsewhere for my rose fix.

djmonty
djmonty

Nothing but a jam packed dense rose here,I know the description lists it as a balsamic frag but I think its more in the woody category.I have a couple of rose frags in my collection and this stands out just because of what i just mentioned.I think its good to have something like this because some rose frags sont last long at all
the myrrh in this is a nice touch.It dosent really start to pop until about 2 hours later on the skin.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Very similar to Rose Kashmirie from Rosines... basically a mature rose, powdery, strong, mixed with ambre, saffron and myrhh.... and just like Rose Kashmirie, the juice has a very deep cognac, orange brown color. It smells opulent, elegant and mature, warm, onctuous, without any freshness, nothing at all.... appealing and clearly oriental without feeling spicy, but the color turns me off, I cannot imagine spraying this on a white shirt...

purplesun
purplesun

Well, well, well, what else can be said about the undercover masterpiece of the Aramis line.. A perfect marriage of rose and incense that screams 'CLASS' enveloping the wearer in a smouldering red cloud hardly any other perfume can confer. A rose so masterfully and respectfully treated, like the queen she is..
I thought before that Grey Flannel is the best value, but this one beats it - there is no amount of money you will pay that is too much for this Rose. And sadly, it is gone already. What a shame. Would love to add a third bottle, but let's not be greedy there... If you can find one, go for it, you will not regret. It puts to shame many a niche fragrance on all counts.

alqusimi
alqusimi

ورد دمشقي غض ممزوج برائحة نبات المر ثم بعد فترة ليست بالطويلة تتلاشى رائحة الورد تدريجيا ويبقى لك المر قي الصدارة، عموما العطر متوسط ولا بستحق الاقتناء

Infini
Infini

@lemonzest = hahahahahaha you said, "scentphobic snowflake!" Your review is dead on. This IS a MASSIVE scent as is all Aramis scents :)

pusia
pusia

This is by far the yummiest frag I know. Adorable.

lemonzest
lemonzest

I love myrrh. I love rose. I love incense.

Therefore, I love Calligraphy Rose because I get myrrh, myrrh, more myrrh, rose, and incense. Mostly myrrh, like a big thorny myrrh tree with a vining red rose in full bloom clambering over it next to a church being consecrated.

This has a sour medicinal smell that I like. Saffron also gives a tangy note that melds with the rose in a weird way. Scent of a distant land, some place with decaying myrrh trees and desert hermits.

Calligraphy Rose is monumental, not happy and light or moody or romantic or whimsical, just massive. Strictly for evening or for time at home to relax. A cold weather scent. I could not wear this to work because it's distracting and would no doubt offend some scentphobic snowflake or cause me to daydream.

The powderiness never shows up on me. Instead this starts off woody and rosy, with loads of incense and tons of myrrh, and gradually becomes sweeter over the course of the night so that in the morning I have some very sweet rose musk scent left over. I think the ambergris note turns sweet on me or maybe the styrax.

For no logical reason this scent puts me in mind of William Blake's poem "The Sick Rose," maybe because I had a college roommate who was working on her thesis on the art of Blake while I was taking a seminar class in Romantic poetry, and we both liked to burn incense. So I am the worm who has found out the rose's bed of crimson joy when I wear this scent to sleep. I would not read much into that statement; it's a fleeting reminiscence.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

Trying a fragrance with "Rose" in the name is an odd thing to do for someone like me who hates the smell of roses. I risk it every once in awhile if I think the rose might be fleeting enough and the rest of the fragrance compelling enough. In this case it paid off. The scent opens with a puff of rose that quickly fades away, leaving the perfume to get down to the serious business of providing a full day of beautiful, sheer, resinous, unisex beauty. To me, this is much more about myrrh than rose. Good stuff.

romanygerges
romanygerges

What a magical mysterious rose it is, so warm and inviting, it is like you entered a Red rose church Garden with the smell of incense from inside the church mixing with the rose in the garden. Wow!

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Calligraphy Rose
Ive heard so much about this scent here on fragrantica, so I ended up buying a bottle. The opening was very medicinal on me with the saffron, oregano and a herbal dusty sourness swirled underneath a beautiful fleshy velvet deep red jammy rose. It was a bit offputting for an hour, but some of the reviews said wait and hour or two and the butterfly emerges from the heart.

The powdery heart starts the middle and it is indeed beautiful for a rose scent. The base spices begin to seep up from the bottom supporting the rose making this better as it goes along its story. The final drydown surprised me as it was a slightly more vanillic verson of vintage EL Cinnabar's drydown. Nice surprise.The notes swirl about and take turns. Ill be looking forward to testing this in winter.

Winter update: Much better performer. The sharp medicinal edge has softened and became much more beautiful from the beginning. This is definitely a winter frag.

Try CR+ Amber Mystique + Hypnotic Poison EDP for a whole other animal. ;)

paneradfisk
paneradfisk

This is a sweet and jammy but also powdery and smokey rose-vanilla. It particularly smokey in the beginning, but gets rounder and more vanillic by time. I love this, especially in the dry down. It has a slight vintage edge to it due to the incensy accord. It's addictive.

I think it's nothing like Rose Oud by Kilian, which is a tart, almost citrusy rose and bitter oud. It has no vanilla, powder or smoke. In that case, Calligraphy Rose is much more in the vein of Rose Flash, which has incense, or even boozy, spicy Rose Ispahan. The price is quite good actually, and I would recommend this not as a dupe for anything, but as one of the best rose jam scents of very many.

KarlekLila
KarlekLila

What a beautifully mysterious, seductive rose. Perfectly sweet, jammy roses with smoky myrrh... How I adore thee! I've been wearing this beauty for all of an hour and I'm head over heels in love. Can't stop sniffing my wrist! I can see myself wearing this juice on summer evenings feeling like a princess in ancient Suza (Persia, not Arabia). She bathes in rose petals while burning the sweetest incense to perfume her hair. My utmost gratitude to Perfumeaddict777 for another BEAUTIFUL gift!

Update: Super sweet, jammy roses with smoky myrrh that eventually dries to powdery vanilla but the rose is still noticeable... Perfection! Lasts forever on clothes (& about 12 hours on skin). How befitting that I used my small sample tonight when I went to see the new "La Belle et La Bête" at a French film festival. (Aka "Beauty and the Beast"starring Léa Seydoux. It won't be released in U.S. theaters 'til September). I kept smelling this deliciously sweet, smoky rose surrounding me. I must get a bottle of this gorgeous juice! *Sigh* ...Yet another "Must Have" bottle burning a hole in my pocket. It is worth it!

drugstore classics

I so enjoy the various opinions voiced about Calligraphy Rose! She inspires such widely varying reviews and impressions.

Right away I knew she was one of those fragrances that catch on like wildfire, surprising some with joy and others with... less than glee. ;)

I'm a true fan of any fragrance with superior longevity and sillage, but that was not what initially drew me. Because of the name alone, I had to try the fragrance, and even as the bottle and name intrigued, I kept getting recommendations from friends here that Calligraphy Rose was the ONE to try. So, I did!

At first I found her a tad too harsh for my taste - needing a touch more richness and warmth to offset the strident, almost sour opening with it's sharp undertones. But over time this aspect ceased to bother me, and I became as enthralled as so many others.

Magic slowly unfolds. The middle notes are indeed worth the wait - rich, heady roses and balsamic goodness! Dark Vanilla and Pillowy Incense linger with the base notes.... ahhhhh.

NOW? I possess my own beautiful bottle, treasured and adored and as useful in my scent arsenal as divine Youth Dew and the equally therapeutic and amazing Aromatic Elixir. All three supposedly too old for me, all three HEADY and unique. If I had only a few scents from which to choose, I would want these three in my wardrobe.

Five Stars!

Madrona
Madrona

Balsamic bomb with ravishing rose. Beautiful. Alas, slightly nauseating.

GrandmaGaga
GrandmaGaga

Testing from a dab sample gifted to me from a generous Fragrantica member, I find this perfume interesting to sniff off my hand but not a scent for me. I'm picking up the oregano and rose and way in the back of my nose the sweetish scent of unburned cigarette tobacco. Perhaps better for men IMHO.

zenazur
zenazur

Unisex or not unisex, is that the question? This fragrance is beautiful and beauty transcends gender. I am a man, I enjoy wearing Calligraphy Rose on a regular basis, and the people I work with or pass by have never raised an eyebrow so far! Two sprays a day, that's the trick! On my skin the oregano is prominent, giving the scent an original Mediterranean feel. Then, of course, the rose reigns supreme... but there is more than sweetness to this rose... there is mystery/mastery!

16stdoering
16stdoering

This is not a unisex fragrance, period. Incredibly sweet, almost medicinal, rose which lasts for 45 minutes, followed by a warm, creamy resinous smell. I can't imagine a woman under 45 pulling this off, let alone a man. On the plus side, performance is out of this world.

curlykitty8
curlykitty8

Having read nearly all the reviews I can only say that Calligraphy Rose is the perfect example of how differently we wear and perceive of the VERY SAME fragrance.
I had really wanted to buy a bottle of this and I am so grateful to Drugstore Classics for sending me a generous sample BECAUSE it did not work for me at all!
Ageism is an ugly word and I never like to apply "old" to any fragrance because it is subjective and unfair but Calligraphy Rose took me back to my childhood and all those powdery, frumpy perfumes that older ladies wore. They were never lovely fragrances that have become treasured vintage classics but more of the overpowering "dimestore" variety!
Since this is my perception from a person who is over 40, for most of you this will mean absolutely nothing and I am very happy as it proves my exact point that fragrance is a multi-faceted treasure that touches us all in different and many times beautiful ways.
Sadly, not the case for me and Calligraphy Rose but as they say "so many perfumes, so little time!"

oktober
oktober

It's ok, but nothing new of impressive, it's like Opium, but with more rose. And just as strong, from my point of view maybe too strong. It could work for winter...

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

All I can say is wow. So this is an incense perfume. I am experimenting with incense fragrances right now. I've ordered L'Agent by Agent Provocateur which is said to be incense. Aramis' Calligraphy Rose is an Arabian Oriental Middle Eastern Muslim type of scent. It's like a temple where incense is in the air. The rose and saffron are spiced up, smoky floral, not sweet, and they have a more masculine persona. The olibanum, frankincense, myrrh, and styrax give this scent an aroma to die for. I would not jump blindly into this fragrance. You need to have experience wearing incense or patchouli type of scents like Opium by Yves Saint Laurent, Maroussia Passion by Elizabeth Taylor or Krizia Teatro Alla Scala, or Coco Eau de Parfum de Chanel. This is mysterious, religious, spiritual, and very unisex. It smells exotic and makes me feel empowered and confident. I would classify this as being a mature floral and incense and it's hard to pull off but it's good to spice up my perfume wardrobe sometimes. Recommended for use in the evening, for Church, for winter.

drugstore classics

Roses, Deep Incense, and an almost vanillic dry down. What's so complex about that? My sample was excellent, and yet it didn't speak to me. I figured I could combine another rose I have with an incense fragrance and get something just as good. Maybe I could, at that, but this particular incense-rose has truly grown from like to love.

While there are Many fragrances I love which contain rose, very few rose heavy scents do well for me - Tea Rose soliflores in particular. Well, for an incense lover this is THE ROSE! I received my bottle (thanks, ClairaNox!) on a warm summer day, so that the perfume was already heated in the mailbox before it hit my skin. Calligraphy Rose blossomed instantaneously into warmth and beauty. I felt like an Arabian Rose blooming beside freshly lit incense. Wow.

I agree with ClairaNox - either because of the heat or the batch - that this Calligraphy Rose DOES smell a bit different than my (also wonderful) sample. And that's great, because to me it smells richer, deeper, better!

Highly Recommended

ClairaNox
ClairaNox

I was given a sample of this by the generous readysniffer1, and I immediately fell in love with the scent; so much so that I bought a big 3.4 oz bottle of it.

Maybe I should have taken my time because the perfume from the bottle isn't working for me like the sample I was given, and unfortunately I don't think I can wear it.

So, I have this up for swap in the US for anyone who is interested; it still has the cap and box. It's a 3.4 oz bottle and approximately 80% full.

Trijumf

...Because of this perfume I must plant one rose.

„U blagom sutonu odustala je od smrti,
svake mijene i straha."
(Danijel Dragojevic, „Ruza")

The epitaph of Rainer Maria Rilke:

"Rose, oh reiner Widerspruch, Lust,
Niemandes Schlaf zu sein unter soviel
Lidern."

"Rose, oh pure contradiction, delight
of being no one's sleep under so
many (eye)lids."

This is how peaceful I am in front of this perfume, I can not add more but - beautiful perfume by mastery of Trudi Loren.

joenick68
joenick68

OK I put this to a test in a sort of warm day and first time wearing it, and the opening lasted a while and is kind of loud, I can say it made me think on selling or exchange it right on, I like rose scents but this is not masculine at all at the opening, and now after the very late dry down after six hrs have passed, the masculine notes kind of come out but the powdery note remains like hidden in the back but present. I did not become a fun on the first sniff that I can tell for sure. I might give it another try, but I won't buy it again for sure.
Update:
I gave up on this one, and got it sold, I have much better rose base colognes so far and my favorites is still Declaration d'un Soir.

simg24
simg24

I bought this in hopes this is similar to Tauerville's Rose Flash but unfortunately, i feel these two end up entirely different. That's not a bad thing but i love Rose Flash and this one is just a "like" for me.
So, i received this and from the bottle this smells great! You really get the rose/saffron combo straight from the bottle.
I then sprayed it on myself in my office. About 10 minutes later, my colleague's 6 yr old kid who usually comes into my office and plays for a bit, came up to me and asked why the office smelled like powder! I immediately smelled my wrist to confirm her nose and yeah... like a kinda granny-ish rosey powdery scent which i remember from childhood visiting my Grandmother's and her collection of body powders.

Impressed by her ability to describe the scent i asked her if she liked the smell and without smelling my wrist she shook her head and said "it's too dusty"..... and i concur, the perfect way to describe the opening; a dusty powdery rose.

So there it is... during the first 2-3 hours this dusty-powdery quality slowly gives way to a amber- musk combo where i think this really shines. The rose is almost gone after 3 hours and here is where i find myself most interested in the scent. Performance sucks at this point but the scent on the skin is amazing and very familiar.

What does it smell like? It smells like the mid notes of M7 by YSL... took me a while to identify but they have the same quality and almost exactly alike in the drydown.

So i like this scent, performance is okay but honestly i cant smell it without putting nose to wrist. Strangely though people smell it around me and really like and have commented positively on it. So take that for what it's worth.

I will be purchasing the sickly sticky sweet Rose flash again which so far, has been the best rose scent i've smelled.

Adrian_jacobs1984
Adrian_jacobs1984

Loved it at first but the rose didn't hang around very long at all and I got this weird pencil shaving note. I am not crazy about this what a shame to this was far from cheap.

kanak
kanak

A rose lover's dream! A slightly sweet, rich rose note surrounded by notes of Myrrh, Styrax, olibanum. Hints of saffron at the top and musky notes in the base. A heavy frag in all senses of the word so go easy on the trigger. One spray to the chest and I can smell it on me all day. Very solid projection as well. Not exactly a frag to go grocery shopping in, meant to be worn with formal dressy clothes, makes a statement. Cooler weather and air conditioned spaces only, will get cloying in heat and humidity. Too bad it's discontinued so if you are a rose lover, stock up on this little gem.It's one for the ages. 9/10

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I smell a medicinal jammy scent for the first half hour; to me, it is oud-like, but I think it could be the ambergris. This is the boldest phase of the fragrance; it begins to fade as the medicinal quality subsides, leaving a balsamic, jammy rose. It is fairly light after 2 hours, wavering between a light rose petal scent and a rich balsamic incense. It is a pretty scent, but not as bold or unique as I expected; I also found it a bit disjointed, less smooth than I'd hoped. I have a decant, so no comments on what looks like a divine bottle. Recommend to those who want an unusual rose or a light incense fragrance.

Msgreenpebble
Msgreenpebble

This has become such a welcome and comforting perfume to come home to now the weather is becoming cooler. The brightly jammy rosiness is tempered with just enough incense and dryness that it is not syrupy, but more delectable. It has the effect of being both a turkish coffee and the rose flavoured morsel on the side in one perfume. Marvellous blind buy!

landshark321
landshark321

I wasn't aware of Aramis' Calligraphy line until recently, and of the secret steal that is Calligraphy Rose, a great value gem at $37 for 100ml on BeautySpin.

The dominant notes on my skin are rose, lavender, labdanum, musk, and amber. The blend is dominated by rose unsurprisingly, with the lavender and labdanum providing some early freshness and a bit of a kick, and the amber/musk mix in the dry down calms the fragrance down a bit.

The overall experience is slightly smoky, slightly powdery, and very slightly sweet, which might put it an agreeable intersection of rose fragrance subcategories. Not as heavy as most rose/ouds, and not as sweet as Rose Flash or Cafe Rose, and not purely floral either.

This ought to be tried by fans of rose due to the smell and value alone, and performance is solid as well for an EDP. Even though I wouldn't personally rank it among the pantheon of great rose fragrances, I'll certainly reach for this occasionally.

7 out of 10

marciasek
marciasek

Excellent smoky syrupy rose parfume. Rich, dense and very complex. Love from the first smell. Stunning longevity and sillage. The only problem is that sometimes, for some reason, I can't stand it on myself. Weird, I know. Several days I love having it on and can't stop smelling my wrists, and then, suddenly, another day under the roses I smell rotten meat. No idea why. Hormones? Temperature and humidity? Or I can't get along with the ambergris base? Such a shame, cause it could be my signature scent.

s kant
s kant

lasts a while and projects very decently.The opening 30 minutes feature a gorgeous deep rose note.This fragrance smells good. The longevity is superb and the projection is good.A real gift for rose lovers.

Spot on Gigi!!

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

"Do you know what you are?
You are the manuscript of a divine letter
The mirror of a noble face
This universe is not outside of you
Look for it inside of you
For everything you ever wanted you already have"

- Rumi

This is a beautiful rose Oriental fragrance. The imagery and feelings it evokes are Persian. I see a beautiful elaborate carpet and tapestry from the Middle Ages with a lot of tiny roses printed on the cloth surrounding the image of an emir with his concubine in a harem. He's seducing her with a rose. This smells exotic, spicy, seductive. But the incense note, the olibanum, the lavender and saffron give it an aromatic and more spiritual air. It's like a fragrance that matches a poem by Rumi the one I used to start off this review. The incense Is what drew me to this fragrance. It's not intense, it's just warm and yet detectable in it's smokiness. It's like going into a temple where there is a scent of roses and incense. I'm reminded of fragrances that tried to smell like this, namely Guerlain's Samsara original vintage, which to me has two lives: hedonistic and spiritual. This fragrance is absolutely gorgeous. I wish everyone could experience a fragrance like this at least once in their life.

Eos
Eos

Instant Love. Mysterious myrrhe, dark resins, ambergris and rose in equal amounts. It starts with the delectable taif rose opening which fades to reveal a hot, slightly animalic crescendo of warm resins and a syrupy myrrhe note. The drydown is what I would call a 'fantasy skin scent' meaning its what you'd hope your skin smells like on the best day of your life: warm, softly sweet and enticingly walking that fine line between clean and dirty.

Caveats: I would wager that this scent in particular may be highly chemistry dependent so you should take my review with a grain of salt knowing that: 1) roses rarely go soapy on me 2) myrrhe usually wears sweet on me 3) saffron disappears on my skin. In short, your mileage may vary.

calensfragrance
calensfragrance

Strong, rich, pleasant rosy perfume, definitely for the bolder, bigger personalities. Wear it with confidence, and compliments will follow.

indigo
indigo

I have no idea how some of these listed notes actually smell in isolation, but I think this is really well blended. I don't know why (seeing as there is no chocolate listed !), but Calligraphy Rose comes off to me as a lovely warm "chewy" chocolatey rose. How did they do that ? :-)
It's rich, dense & almost edible - without being gourmand. I think it's one of those perfumes that amounts to something distinctive, that is better than the sum of it's parts.
Lasting power is fantastic, I spray before bed & I can still smell it strongly the next morning. This is lovely, & excellent value for the money. I like it very much.

nero77
nero77

Sweet Rose & Myrrh...

What a performance! This fragrance opens with a bang of sweet, jammy rose surrounded by myrrh and amber and frankincense, with a big hit of saffron.

It reminds me a lot of the original Aramis - Perfume Calligraphy but with the oud turned down and the rose turned up. I personally don't really get any oud wood in this but the rose is full and sweet and juicy, albeit surrounded and supported by an ambery, honey-like vibe.

The fragrance feels syrupy, like rosewater used in a dessert. Ambergris, labdanum and musk linger in the dry-down, and the sweetness of the opening turns dark, muted and resinous towards the end.

I think this is one which, if you are a rose lover, you will adore. I find the opening a little sweet to my taste, but that comes from the myrrh, which is prominent throughout. I get a syrupy jam feeling with the rose but the incense and resins give it depth the more it stays on skin.

Try this out if you love rose style fragrances and Oriental/Arabian style perfumes done right. I highly recommend the Aramis Calligraphy range, especially as value for price. I like this syrupy rose!

panaitescucodrut
panaitescucodrut

Amazing scent. Good performance

deb.martinez

Got this in a swap. Not sure about it yet..I have Flowebomb rose explosion which satisfies my middle eastern rose oud desire. This one isnt as sweet,,and has a few different herbs and spices that may or may not appeal to me. Like I said...unsure. shall update shortly to either say im keepin or swapping!
Its a........keeper!!!!!!!! Seriously scrumptious!!!! <3

Bstefcorbin
Bstefcorbin

After devoting myself to testing ONE note this fall/winter I know which ROSE fragrance I like the best. This ain't it. With all the buzz surrounding Calligraphy Rose (cult status?)I hopped on the band wagon and blind boughta F.B.EDP. The opening was promising - I could smell it through the box, cellophane wrap and mailer.I think the bottle is really cool. It reminds me of an artifact from the golden era in Persia. Nail head calligraphy, obelisk shape. The liquid inside is a beautiful cognac color. Opening - Turkish Rose, saffron, myrrh. I must have missed the middle because 1 hr later I thought I was smelling an entirely different perfume. The rose is completely gone in the dry down. All thats left is SWEET frankincense and lavender a masculine "barber shop" scent. No likee. However I am glad I have this, no regrets at all. p.s. the #1 Rose IMO is Rose Flash, Tauerville.

the big totoro
the big totoro

I am a rose fan so I had to try this. Sadly disappointed. I had high expectations for this. It doesn't live up to the hype. At least on my skin. Sad because I've been craving a new rose lately. I will look elsewhere.

Sleepalm
Sleepalm

This is a Magic scent. I can't believe the rose scent in this. At it's height my nose is just glued to my wrist and I'm thinking "Powder, Powder, more powder" and then taaaadaaaa there it is like magic, this oddly juicy pink rose. I can't figure out why it's pink but it is, it just smells pink. I will enjoy this fragrance every time I wear it no doubt about that.

mmmmgood
mmmmgood

from the gate, I thought it was a undercover niche fragrance. There is no rose/myrrh combo, better than this, in my opinion...and Ive smelled a few. Amazing...and its one of the scents that, literally, makes my mouth water. The simple, uninpressive bottle, belies whats in it.

the price will vary, from time to time, depending on where you buy it. But its still worth the purchase, if you happen to cross paths with it, when the price is on the higher end. Like I said, its niche-worthy and the longevity is off the charts. One of those juices, where you have to be mindful of how much you spray. It sticks to you like a tic.

goldeneraglamour
goldeneraglamour

I try to avoid blind buys nowadays, but my most recent one was Calligraphy Rose. I just couldn't resist as a major rose fan and seeing all the raves on MUA, plus the really good price! It's a beautiful luxe exotic rose, exactly what I was looking for to help round out my collection of rose scents.

To my nose it smells like roses and Guerlinade, which is so odd! Like a rosy L'Heure Bleue. I even tested the two together to compare and couldn't believe the resemblance. The drydowns are so similar with my chemistry.

CR definitely has this sort of Middle Eastern feel. Some reviewers below said that it has a Turkish Delight thing going on, but unfortunately I have yet to try some. However, it's nowhere near as sweet as loukhoum scents such as Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum, Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum, or L'Artisan Traversee du Bosphore. Not as gourmand, definitely not fruity. Not really spicy to me either. Some also mention getting a rosewater feel from it, and I can see that, but this is so dense, while rosewater is so airy.

I just can't help but think of L'Heure Bleue, probably because of the "denseness" of the scent. Roses laying over this really thick, powdery base. I'm not familiar with most of the notes that are apparently in CR, like myrrh and saffron, so I can't pinpoint anything beyond the rose, which starts to fade away as wear time progresses. The base is so warm, smooth, rich. I think there's something that's just ever so slightly vanillic in there too. It strongly resembles Guerlinade to me.

Good sillage (enough for me to receive a compliment!), excellent longevity. While a man could pull this scent off, it leans more towards the feminine side.

All in all, the hype for Calligraphy Rose is well-deserved. It's a breath of fresh air amongst rose fragrances. Smells so expensive and very niche, like an Amouage. I love this even more than the lovely Lyric Woman, Amouage's complex rose/incense scent. Calligraphy Rose was an unexpected love at first spray for me, and the Guerlain vibe (to my nose) is the icing on the cake. I highly recommend to all rose fans!

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

Simply gorgeous fragrance. I would very much like to thank my swap partner for this lovely number. I had no idea it existed until it was offered to me.

So let me first begin saying I do not do rose well at all. I completely and utterly dislike anything rose.. but wait do I? This is the exception to the rule. While yes I do smell rose it's been done in such an amazing way that it makes it very appealing. The musk and some sort of spice drown out heavy rose and make a luxurious love potion. Honestly I can't stop smelling my hand. It's got a sweetness to it and I can see it being unisex but in no way is this masculine. It's got that slight mid eastern vibe going. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

lotus and jasmine
lotus and jasmine

Chalking this one up to differences in personal chemistry. For me CR is totally linear, white musk (soap), styrax, synthetic honeysuckle, olibanum, and lots and lots of myrrh.

Soapy, reminiscent of some sort of bubble bath product my grandmother bought me as a child, sweet in a way that reminds me of Shalimar, but simple, linear, and more transparent.

On my skin this is overly sweet, powdery, simple, in a way that reminds me of modern men's scents. Not that this is masculine, but that it has that simplicity to it that you find in some scents, that do not evolve at all, but remian strong and stable throughout the day.

I don't hate this, but I don't love it either. I kept waiting for CR to do something interesting. Never did. Simple, probably a safe blind buy if you really really like sweet resins. If you don't know what sweet resins smell like, test before you buy!

If you're looking for a true rose note though, try Perfumista Avenue by Bond No. 9.

RapidScent
RapidScent

This is definitely an interesting scent, indeed. First, I want to say it reminds me of, dare I say it, Shalimar. It's quite heavy like it. But it lacks the quality I dislike in Shalimar. It's more tolerable and not so skanky? Animalistic? Offensive? I still can't bring myself to completely love it though.

butfly23
butfly23

This arrived today and I was very excited, but I just don't like it. Wish I had tried a sample 1st.
Bottle smells Turkish Delight and boozy at first, lovely colour (from Saffron) but straight to dryness.
For me it's a synthetic rose with a terrible strong styrax chemical smell. It catches in my throat and constantly makes me cough like Mr Sheen.
It is unisex but for me it would be better on a male.
I don't find the rose jammy, unable to smell lavendar or honeysuckle.
I love rose but feel this needs a tad less balsams etc and a smidge more airiness or floral just for me.
Not a styrax fan.

FleurdeJour
FleurdeJour

I've received it yesterday - blind buy. I have been contemplating for a while whether to give it a go or not. I've spent a few years living in Middle East countries, I've been craving for this smell - always on a hunt for a great oriental/woody scent. It smells exactly like bakhoor commonly used in those countries. I agree that this fragrance was adapted to European noses, its not as deep and heavy. About the fragrance itself: opening - smoky rose, once settled - musky rose. It stays close to skin - not a great sillage (very common in natural perfumes, wish to think the ingredients used are high quality) while longevity is great, pleasantly transforms on the skin. Now waiting for original Calligraphy to arrive - high hopes.

framorena
framorena

I love this Rose and I much more love the fact it proves it's possible to do great perfumes with decent price, if just we turn down the temptation of astronomical, groundless profit.
Maybe this is the reason why they decided to discontinue (rumors... I hope...)

herreroph
herreroph

Go for it at Beautyspin.com
Best price in the web

dmd63
dmd63

another touchdown for aramis.

this is absolute class, great scent, nuclear silage and longevity!

for man or lady and it works for both.

go for it, really!!!

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

OMG YES YES YES!!! This is for the first distinctly rose perfume that gets a BIG LOVE from me!! Reviewer Lepalm took the words right out my mouth LITERALLY! Rose is a beautiful note but often on my skin it is either sharp, matronly or pee. I have found a few "wearable" rose fumes usually paired with oud as with Montale compositions or covered in spices like in Marni. Calligraphy Rose is rose for sure but it is perfectly shrouded in all my fave resins without be too heavy, too earthy or loud and is just AMAZING!!!

Update: This also lasts and lasts and lasts. I put it on around 11:00 am and could smell it on my skin the next morning . . . Aaahhh . . . .FABULOUS!!

Redpula
Redpula

Weeks ago, I was on a hunt for rose based oriental perfumes. My choices were Club de Nuit Intense, Dsquared Potion Royal Black and Aramis Calligraphy Rose. I need 2 out of these choices. I found a cheap deal of Club de Nuit and I love the scent, even reviewed it. Dsquared PRB was harder to find and Aramis CR was quite pricey. Thanks for a Canadian Fragratican, for selflessly sending me a sample of ACR. Now my thoughts with it.

Powder, smoke, spices, sweet and rose. Smooth, warm, waxy, balsamic and damp. These are words that I describe Calligraphy Rose by Aramis. Initial spray reminded me of my beloved Ferrari Essence Oud.

ACR is a well made fragrance able to charm your olfactory senses. I see why many members like this scent, I can agree with that but on my skin, a no no note, late part of heart stage, lessen my total appreciation, led me to be one on the neutral side. It was the lingering powder vibe.

The top was a bit medicinal (I am okay with it), kinda waxy, warm spicy, damp and balsamic, which I like. A soft rose was being introduced, sweetness was there too. There is also a pomade vibe, very gentlemanly good opening, leaned more for men. Minutes after, the smokiness sets in, soft rose revealing, then came a nice bitter smoothness from myrrh that went well with warm spices, balmy woods plus a hint of lavender, this heart stage is excellent. I can still smell the pomade but it's dying down.

Between the heart and dry down, my hated accord came out, powder. That ruined my full smell appreciation. 15minutes later, powdery feel (could be mix of lavender and styrax) is losing out and a gentle sweetness from Labdanum and Amber manifested. It smells sexy along with soft rose, musk and ambergris. No more smokiness, no more spices, no more medicinal vibe, just a sweet woody floral goodness that reminded me (not similar) of a faint Amouage Opus VI.

Now I can decide, should I go for a full bottle despite my positive reviews. Well due to the lingering powdery vibe, I will cut my urge to own 1. Now it's time to pursue a sample of Dsquared Potion Royal Black. Anyone out there maybe send me 1 so I can evaluate if it's worth bottle owning? Aramis Calligraphy Rose.... Scent - 7/10, Sillage - 8/10, Longevity 7/10. Thanks again Edge. Sorry it ain't as long lasting as I expected. Again, I am neutral to this only because it added powdery impression on my skin.

lepalm
lepalm

Hands down the best rose scent I own. Rose is always a bit tricky for me and although I'm a huge fan of the note, it doesn't always appeal to me. I'm very fickle and "loves" turn to "likes" then back to "loves" and sometimes can be downright unbearable on certain days. However, THIS is one of the best blended rose scents I've ever owned, very subtle, heavier on the resins, myrrh, olibanum, and labdanum than rose on my skin. I never tire of it. An absolute beauty.

gtabasso
gtabasso

goes on a serious rose then dries to a middle of amber then down to a soft, gentle, skin incense; love it and enjoy sniffing my own arm; doesn't project much

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

It was hard to imagine this fragrance because I'm not familiar with many of the notes. I'm glad it doesn't smell like a rose and oud combination to me though. It smells more like a sweet red wine and turkish delight. However, I still don't like it.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

No matter what your taste in perfume, I defy anyone to say that the scent of a rose isn't one of the most beautiful and uplifting on the planet. No wonder it's associated with love.
This is a spicy, warm, musky, sultry deliciously sexy rose. A dusky, devilishly handsome Arabian prince of a rose. A brooding, dark, intoxicatingly beautiful Arabian princess of a rose. This is a fantasy scent that makes me drift away on a magic carpet towards the promise of love waiting in the desert in a sumptuous, incense-scented tent by the light of a flickering fire.
A bit Mills and Boon (sorry) but that's kind of the feeling it gives me. Enough heavy breathing and dark, passionate looks for now....
Longevity and sillage moderate to heavy. About 4 hours on me. I really think this is a rose that men can seriously wear too. Of course women can wear it, that goes without saying. Not an office scent, a night time scent, but any time of the year. Or just when you need cheering up. The price seems to vary wildly online. I got my bottle silly cheap - one of the best buys ever.
Like it a lot.
November 2015

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

For those of you who haven't discovered it yet, a BNIB 100ml bottle of this can be purchased from BeautySpin.com for under $35! I believe I paid around $32/bottle for mine. Check out the coupon codes online and on the BeautySpin website itself (3 Nov 2015.)

It's pretty mindblowing that a frag this beautiful can be purchased for so little. Grab it while you still can.

babydoll2014
babydoll2014

This is an expertly crafted boozy, oud-y rose. It's beautiful but not quite my style. I have a 10ml glass decant that's sitting on my shelf - if interested, PM me.

sam ldh
sam ldh

An Oriental perfume by my top-favourite house Aramis (Estee-Lauder).
Piquant roses, warm, smoldering incense and Middle-Eastern spices, styrax myrrh,olibanum,earthy labdanum and richly animalic ambergris comprise this beautiful and masterful concoction! Completely unisex, and Oriental to the core, this scent is magical and works wonderfully for year-long wearing.
My newest favourite from this prodigious house of Aramis.
And, did I say about Aramis being my top-favourite scent, ever!
Quite, recommended!

Hope this review helps!

Happy-Sniffing,
Sam-Singer

i change my opinion....
roses too strong and resinous ... I feel very sour .... I dont find sweet .... I smell a good red wine ..... I expected more. maybe I'm not used to oriental perfumes ..... but I do not think it will buy. is too feminine.incredible performance.
I would try aramis 900 and declaration d'un soir intense.
or other 2 calligraphy...

iconoclast
iconoclast

Breathtakingly beautiful (if you love rose like I do) with a Middle Eastern vibe - I swear that I can smell some significant oud in there although it's definitely not overpowering. I would say that this is a perfume best kept for special occasions (weddings, etc.) as it's so good. Ingredients are of very high quality, and sillage and longevity are top class. Quite sensual really, and more feminine than masculine in my opinion, although most men can just about get away with wearing it - especially when it has reached its soft powdery drydown. Highly recommended for rose lovers!

miss mills
miss mills

A lovely sample from Xrayer, thank you! First waft of this reminds me a little of Portrait of a Lady - there is the incensed brew of the listed basenotes mixed with rose which combine to give the rose a beautiful depth. There is in this one, however, a smooth powdery buzz (myrrh, maybe? Or musk?) that travels throughout the layers giving it an all round smoother feel, it doesn't hit that incensed depth of POAL. This one hovers at the smooth resinous rose level which is very inviting and very FB worthy!

Evenblondernow
Evenblondernow

Calligraphy Rose was a blind buy. I am a rose fanatic and have always gravitated more toward a bright tea rose. Lately though, I have been craving deep, boozy, lush, heady rose. Calligraphy Rose, to me, is THE most expertly blended fragrance in my collection. Nothing sharp, harsh or unpleasant. The Rose is sweet, but not sickeningly so. I smell lots of powder, but nit "old" or babyish. Feminine is the best way to describe it. I can't imagine this on a man however. While this is a powerhouse scent and I am quite heavyhanded with application, I can't smell it on myself after a bit. So sorry to those in my circle whom I might inadvertantly be fumigating, but lasting power on my rather pale, dry skin is low. I am flumoxed that I paid a mere 35€ (new!) for such a masterpiece!!

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Sweet and rich and heady, rose candy in an incense filled church, ever lasting, lush red red red roses. It is truly beautiful

Lipglossjunkee
Lipglossjunkee

This is one of the most interesting and beautifully blended scents in my collection, hands down. I bought it blind, based on the lovely reviews and recommendations on three different forums (Fragrantica included!). It is a sweet, smoky, rosy, sultry concoction and I am LOVING it on my skin today. The bottle is heavy and classy, the scent is long-lasting but not a slap in the face. It's rose--but a soft rose. It's powdery--but not baby powdery. It's resinous and tickles the nose a bit, and that is quite alright with me! I get a hint of the saffron in there, which just keeps things interesting. Myrrh, rose, and musk together make the most delightful combination!
Smells like a million bucks, but can be found for much much less! Definitely one of my best blind buys.

aqua_de_la_vita

This isn't a review...it's a statement to Estee Lauder.
If anyone at Estee lauder reads these reviews, it is obvious that most enjoy this fragrance....
BRING IT BACK!!!!! :(((

Talicalicia
Talicalicia

I don't do rose fragrances. I'll say that right from the start. Ever since I was a girl I've had a knee jerk dislike of rose fragrances. So what possessed me to try this was beyond me. Partly the bottle partly reviews, and partly sheer madness!
But I am SO glad I did. I've been forced to re-evaluate my feelings for rose scents. The rose is strong in this, but complemented by the other notes in a way that's not overdone like rose scents sometimes can be. The dusty saffron and Ambergris with the balsamic resin of the myrrh balance it much better. My husbands smelled this and his first reaction was "Musk sticks!" where as others comment on other properties first. it changes and evolved along with you and the atmosphere and it becomes part of you not just an overlying scent which iw what a well blended perfume should.
I don't 'do' rose scents... but I do Calligraphy Rose!

karola12345
karola12345

This is the best balsamic rose smell I'Ve ever tried. It's a bit sweet comforting rose you can wear anywhere at any time.

polly golightly
polly golightly

non sono particolarmente appassionata di profumi alla rosa, tranne qualche caso eccezionale di cui scriverò presto, ma ho voluto provare questo, ricevuto come decant in uno scambio di bottiglie. l'inizio, intossicante ma non sgradevole, ricorda una versione più sciropposa della famosa "acqua di rose" che forse qualcuno ancora usa. questa fase viene rapidamente arricchita dalle spezie che compaiono nella piramide olfattiva, lo zafferano in primo luogo, con un tocco di origano per assestarsi definitivamente (e con una persistenza pazzesca) su territori resinosi. buono ma non esattamente me.

Edit: le prime note sono quelle dello sciroppo alla rosa che si usa in medioriente per inumidire le basi da dolce (tipo pan di spagna). l'odore è quello delle pasticcerie di istanbul, meno il miele.

RHONIE14281
RHONIE14281

This is a glorious fragrance, it is the first fragrance i extremely adore but i just can't wear. We have no chemistry together.It is truly refined, aristocratic even, but just feels awkward on me.

The rose stands out throughout its different stages of development, I find that bothersome somehow. Not sure, what my expectations were but hey, it is still an outstanding composition nonetheless.

My personal taste revolve around fragrances like Lalique's Hommage, Ysl's La Nuit & Pure Malt.
Calligraphy Rose is too ceremonious to me, which clashes with my casual personal sense of style.Therefore, too far out of my jurisdiction for now.

However, the elegance and sheer craftsmanship that went into putting this stuff together is meritorious.Bravo!

I am going to give it time, maybe i will feel different about wearing it at some point but for now the beautiful bottle will just have to hangout on my shelf for a while.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

I own a few rose based fragrances and Calligraphy Rose by Aramis tops them all. The rose comes out at first spray and stays through out the day. It is very well blended and has some spiciness to it as well. I am a true fan of Declaration D'Un Soir (both regular and intense)and thought nothing would pass it. I was wrong, Calligraphy Rose passed it with flying colors. Elegant, sophisticated, gentlemanly are three words to describe Calligraphy Rose.

[email protected]
peeck@charter.net

Wow, Just recieved this as a gift for myself because of all the great reviews on this perfume! My new comfort scent... This is the most wonderful take on ROSE. I purchased this because of the resins and some said it had a Doir Eau Sauvage Parfume + Rose vibe... And I could see that, but not as much buttery myrrh. Yes, you do get a Blast of Rose and Saffron in the beginning and drying down into a soothing warm creamy powdered tea scent + Myrrh/Olibanum + Rose. Some have said that it is too feminine... I could see that sorta, but I don't get that vibe at all! It's what they call a UNISEX. A+ in my book... so magicly blended.

And for the deal at BeautySpin I paid $32 a No Brainer!

La_Vie_En_Rose
La_Vie_En_Rose

So excited to receive this as a gift from my love. It was on my want list for a long time, I nearly forgot about how much I wanted to try this perfume. I recalled that it was touted as being rather heavy so I lightly spritzed myself afraid I would offend those around me. Next time I will be a little more generous as I didn't find it heavy at all. At first Calligraphy Rose opens as sweet and spicy with a generous amount of rose...but not an "old lady obnoxious" rose, rather the scent you experience when you bring yourself close to a dozen red roses to enjoy its bouquet. This lasts for a long time. My love kept saying he could detect honey, so we weren't surprised when we saw honeysuckle on the list of top notes. The one thing about this scent that you should know is that none of the notes (except the rose) step out at you, the blending is so well done and the dry down is amazing... Soft and powdery, warm, spicy and sexy. I think this is a scent that you will find unique to the wearer and a scent I'd be comfortable wearing day or night.

Guermantes
Guermantes

I love this one so much.
I've ordered a back up although one spritz lasts more than a day, so I'll not run out of it soon, but the discontinuation just breaks my heart. This is as beautiful as a piece of music that makes you have goose bumps and cry, or a painting that makes you want to stare at for the rest of your life. The rose is strong and bold, supported by myrrh, styrax and olibanum... just a dream. I think this is how heaven smells like.
I also plan to blind buy Saffron and classic Calligraphy. I have high hopes.

Patternatter
Patternatter

This scent is divine. I imagine it to be of a beautiful Persian woman with long flowing dark hair and piercing eyes riding a stallion through the desert. An alluring body with an indomitable heart.
Edit: now that I have been wearing this for a few days, I have found that when you're inside i.e at a restaurant, bar, house etc you really get that gourmand rose Turkish delight scent which I adore but when outside in a cooler climate you get more of the powder rose / lavender which I also love. I'm not usually a fan of rose but this has changed my mind. I can get bored of fragrance fairly quickly, but this is amazing. I can't stop smelling myself plus I have never had so many people, both men and women ask me what I'm wearing. It really is gorgeous.
I was reluctant to write this as I want it all for myself but also want to share its beauty. Enjoy x

Molko
Molko

It's a real intensive oriental rosy scent. The rose has oily feeling and little bit bitter-medicinal a cause ot the mirrh at first, but after it transfroms more feminine, balmy ambery sweet rose, this part reminds me of M7 absolu. About 4 hours later, the drydown seems to me like genderless oud but doesn't contain oud, interesting:) I have just a sample, but the bottle and the content is also very elegant and ambitious. I recommend to oriental/incense/rose scent lovers.

First wearing, I can't say I got much honeysuckle or lavender. It is a bit medicinal for a while and a powdery rose is obvious, but it is not especially sweet. For a stronger oud experience, I would layer this with Jovan's Intense Oud. Over time there is little jammy/rose element that comes forward, but after perhaps two hours it's a smooth skin scent. At this point it does have a mild ambergris-ish quality, and is powdery and slightly sweet, with perhaps the barest hint of something oudy. I don't think I'd spend $100 on this one but at half that price or thereabouts I'd find it difficult to resist!

UPDATE: If you want something more "masculine" along these lines, try ST Dupont's Rose and Oud.

xrayer
xrayer

Tried this today, it went on with a medicinal blast which was off putting at first but soon calmed down. I don't get a huge amount of rose, it is warm, powdery and call me crazy but to my nose smells very like Guerlain Oriental Brulant - it must be the styrax as that's the only common note. It is so similar I almost think this would be a good substitute. Not for me but I can appreciate that it's a lovely oriental fragrance.

DerangedGoose
DerangedGoose

Very jammy, powdery rose with a smidgen of bitter pungency under it. Very feminine and not at all suitable for men, especially compared to more masculine roses like Black Aoud, Black Line, Declaration Soir Intense, and Potion Royal Black.

houstcs
houstcs

It could be the 90F+ weather here, but this comes off with some skank I didn't expect. Like I rolled my self around in some rose jam and vagina. So much more appealing than that sounds. Yay for Aramis.

olfactorium
olfactorium

Calligraphy Rose holds the eccentric switch-reverse attraction of an alternate universe where you can be a guy, smell like your lady and love it all at the same time! Any fragrance that can take the wearer from a rosy oud opening to a crème brulee finish is a unisex two-for-one worth exploring. Who would have expected such a release from Aramis? Produced in Switzerland, this nuanced perfume lends credence to the Swiss reputation for quality luxury goods. Just one or two sprays lasts for days and days. Heady stuff, indeed!

Kudos to jtd (stick figure far below) for a most thoughtful essay on rose in fragrance. Aficionados of the rose will appreciate such astute commentary.

Rie60
Rie60

Wow, just got this in the mail and boy they weren't kidding in the reviews- it is potent. I'm an oversprayer anyway, so I need to be careful with this. Rose is definitely prominent and next comes the musk. I can actually smell the oregano at the end--a very nice exotic oriental without the "grandma" rose smell.

mrsg34
mrsg34

This is a fantastic perfume nexangelus kindly sent me a sample of this and I'm so glad she did! This is a beautiful rose oud and this coming from a person who didn't like rose scents at all!This is a rose with depth, beautiful incense, long lasting and very wearable.I firstly looked on Escentual and it was £125 for 100ml but at the moment on Amazon it is £34 for 100ml BARGAIN!Smells much more expensive just beautiful :)

christianne1
christianne1

This is amazing! What a find! If you are a fan of rose oud with a real middle eastern vibe but still western wearable, you must give this a try! This is one of the most potent rose ouds I have tried if not one of the most potent perfumes I have tried. Literally one spray is all you need. What a steal on this beauty! Tons of rose, oud, saffron...and oregano for a little kick of something different, plus spice and smoky vibe. Totally unisex. It's truly a fantastic rose oud and can be found for a super bargain. Must have for the rose oud fans. Deliriously happy blind buy!

adrian.meeks.35
adrian.meeks.35

Yes it really is that good! enough said!!!

JEDI 2.0
JEDI 2.0

A sample of this was given to me by a fellow Fragrantican. I'm very grateful.

I personally don't go for rosy fragrances, so this doesn't suit me as something I'd wear very often, if at all. It's too feminine for my personal taste but too masculine for my wife to consider wearing. But again, that's just us and we're weird.

When I wore it, I get a warm rose fragrance that is really strong at first, but after 10-20 minutes it mellows out and lets you notice a sort of smoky-amber-sweetness to it. And, after several hours, my wrist smelled sugary sweet but only lightly so. The sweet smell was the last to fully dissipate.

When I smell this fragrance, I picture a tall Middle Eastern woman with dark hair, a deep natural voice and stunningly beautiful. I'm glad to own a small amount of this stuff, but would not buy a bottle only because it's not to my personal taste and that's no reflection on its amazing qualities.

DAL123
DAL123

I had been wanting this one for a while and finally purchased a bottle from a fellow Fragrantican (Thank you!!) This is good stuff. Each time I sniff my arm I get a different scent. About 15-20 minutes in, I got a fairly strong rose and was a bit concerned. Rose with my chemistry can either be very very bad or very very good. Lucky for me it was the latter this time. Soon after that I got a mild spicy/incensy note-not the strong Arabic incense my brain was telling my olfactory senses to expect-but really nice nonetheless. Then it turns to a smoky rose on me followed by something slightly sweet. And it keeps changing like this all day long. I got a good 8 hours out of 2-3 sprays. When I first sprayed it the first time I wore it, it was very soft so I sprayed more. A lot more. I should not have done that. It got stronger 15-20 minutes after I sprayed and I left vapor trails...:) All in all this was a great blind buy and I am so happy with it. In fact, I ordered the Saffron and am anxiously awaiting its arrival :)

Hedonista
Hedonista

This has been one of my "wants" for a while now. I finally got a sample. Glad I didn't do a full size blind buy. Nothing but honey tobacco, vanilla, and spice! They aren't even listed as ingredients.
I like big rose and should stick to those scents. On me the rose is only there for the first 15 seconds. There is no honeysuckle. Maybe it's the oregano taking over? It's not a bad scent if you like honey and spice. Longevity is over 6 hours and sillage is heavier than most scents on me. (Why is the one you don't love the one that lasts the longest??)I don't recommend a blind buy. Try a sample first and hopefully you will be with the majority of reviewers who love it and have the rose last for a longer time.

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

Oh.My.Word. If animals had a signature perfume, this would’ve belonged to the Black Widow! A dark, dangerous lady with a red core. Black spices, luscious red roses, and a touch of gooey balminess that sticks to you like a spider web. If Matahari wore this, she would’ve had presidents spill out state secrets! This powerful juice smells like the older, sweeter sister of Yves Rocher Rose Absolue. One spray equals to 12+ hours of diffusion within your 12+ feet radius. If you love florientals, you just have to try this. Masterpiece!

Paulie129
Paulie129

This is more of a comment than a review, but the first time I wore this scent, there was a sense of familiarity. It reminds me a little - JUST A LITTLE - of the vintage 1978 fragrance 'Karl Lagerfeld Classic'. I'm just going on memory though ... 20 years ago ... but there's a similar vibe, to me. This has more rose though, and is deeper, smoother, smokier, and not as sharp as KLC. Another reviewer was sure they smell vanilla in Calligraphy rose, which is interesting as 'Karl Lagerfeld Classic' contains vanilla. While suitable for both genders - it's labelled a unisex fragrance - it would be beautiful on a man.

myram7
myram7

Wow - just received this from Beautyspin.com - only $38 - and it's just divine! Only 1 tiny spritz and an entire room is filled with wonderful aroma! This rose is luscious and it's grounded with a sexy and fully mesmerizing blend of spices :) It's just a joy to have in my collection of rose perfumes!

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

Wow! I blind bought this because the price was good and the reviews were good.
One spray and that's more than enough - this stuff projects!
Even my nephew said he could smell it in the bathroom after that one spray (and that was 5-10 minutes after I sprayed it).
There's something in this that slightly reminds me of L'Artisan Parfumeur's L'Eau d'Ambre but bolder and clearer.
This one was definitely a sucessful blind buy.
Highly recommended!

lilymorena
lilymorena

09:00 a.m and I just woke up. I have got my Calligraphy some days ago. Then I could just take a fast snif but now I am alone home and today I can test this scent properly. The temperature inside is 22 degrees and outside 16. I sprayed generously my left backhand and arm. Oh wow I wasn't expecting this. I thought it was a scent as Opium or Must. I was searching for a scent with agarwood note because nowadays a lot of new scents have oud in it. Thanks to the recomendation from you guys from Fragantica I chose this one. I can't tell you if what I am now smelling is oud but it has a "wow factor". The bottle is heavy and gorgeus with a wood cap. The liquid deep caramel red looks like some liqueur. Wood, resins, olive, sharp, a bit sweet as a liqueur, some soap and flowers far away. It is getting softer and creamy, the liqueur is turning smoother and round. I have just walked to the kitchen to snif sherry and olive oil. There is something of both in this fume. This is really gorgeus. This one has no gender but I am sure it would smell great on a man.

Half hour has passed and the smell is still great, dark, deep, intense, strong. From a liquer to a perfume. It is getting beter and beter. So far I am loving it.

It is getting cold outside (and inside) and this perfume is turning into something astonishing beautiful. The best blind buy ever.... thank you Fraganticans again.

nexangelus
nexangelus

Don't believe the hype? I do...this is another gourmie rose, love them gourmie and deep and smoky and resinous. This is even woody to my nose. One small spray has lasted ages and this perfume dances I tell you! It switches between the notes, flits, entices...all herbal and I was a tad worried at first spray, as it seemed to split completely in two. Then it danced, it melded and danced again. Blending complete in about 4 hours. Sweet, rosey, scrummy-ness. Up there with Noir de Noir, Cafe Rose, Black Jade, Rose Absolue and Rose Velours for me.

damightyheru
damightyheru

I was aware of this scent for ages now thanks to Fragrantica and the amazing frag com here and was waffling back and forth on whether to go for it and buy. Finally I went for it after seeing it for an unbelievable price under $40.

To sum up what this scent immediately reminded me of within the first, half hour...Baby Powder. Not Johnsons&Johnsons but a Talcum powder. Even my girlfriend remarked that I smelled like a baby. But that was just the beginning.

Another mental association came to mind. Whiskey. It has a very distinct boozy smell to it. Since that is absent in the note breakdown its quite fascinating and a testament to this gems quality and blend. The Rose and lavender is very prominent but tails off during the dry down giving way to a sweet, resinous, incense smell that is very unique.

The notes are blended together beautifully and I'd second all comments comparing this to a Niche scent of the Amouage variety. It also has Amouage's beastliness. I tested it on my arm upon receiving it and lasted on my skin for over 12 hours and didn't become a complete skin scent for me until hour 8. I was projecting for at least 6 hours strongly.

Calli Rose is sophisticated, rich and I have to say, impressive. Its well loved by both men and women on here and for good reason. It's not a commercial fragrance and one most men, who aren't in the know, would consider. You won't smell like anyone you know when you wear this. I'm glad I finally said yes to owning this Gem. If the rumors of this being Discontinued is true it's a huge lost and my huge gain. Might get a second bottle depending on how much I abuse this in the upcoming cooler months.

YouTube Channel- Simply Put Scents

EmmaZumba
EmmaZumba

I bought this blind as I went by the fantastic reviews but am absolutely repulsed.
I adore Arabian fragrances, rose, wood and balmy scents but this is sickly sweet with Christmas spices. It smells exactly like vanilla custard with raisins and festive spice.
I'm now stuck with a full size bottle.

sherifmango
sherifmango

Perfume Calligraphy Rose

لم تشذ دار أراميس Aramis للعطور كثيرا " عن رصيفاتها عندما يتعلق اﻷمر بتسويق أو إطﻻق عطور بصورة حصرية مبدئيا" في منطقة الشرق اﻷوسط، و ذلك من خﻻل تسمية ذلك العطر أو الخط العطري الجديد بتسميات لها وقع رنان على أذن و شخصية المستهلك الشرق أوسطي ...
هذه المرة إختارت دار أراميس إسم ورد أو Rose لثاني عطورها ضمن خط أطلقت عليه إسم الخط العربي Perfume Calligraphy ...

لكن لماذا إختارت الدار "الخط العربي" دون غيره ليحمل عنوان تلك المجموعة ؟!...

تتميز هذه الكتابة بكونها متصلة مما يجعلها قابلة ﻹكتساب أشكال هندسية مختلفة من خﻻل المد و الرجع و اﻹستدارة و التزوية و التشابك و التداخل و التركيب...
كما يعتمد الخط العربي جماليا" على قواعد خاصة تنطلق من التناسب بين الخط و النقطة و الدائرة بإستخدام عناصر ليس لمعناها المتحرك ماديا" فحسب بل و بمعناها الجمالي الذي ينتج حركة ذاتية تجعل الخط يتهادى في رونق جمالي مستقل عن مضامينه و مرتبط معا" في آن واحد...
إنه إسلوب كتابة فتن حتى الغربيين الذي سارعوا بتطويع حروفهم الجامدة للتماشي مع هذا الفن العربي الراقي للكتابة ...

إتخذت دار أراميس من هذه الصفات التي تميز الخط العربي مصدر إلهام لها لتطوير عطرها الثاني في المجموعة Perfume Calligraphy Rose...
العطر في مجمله يشعر مرتديه بالفخامة و اﻷبهة نتيجة لثراء مكوناته الشرقية الغنية البحتة و التي ﻻ تخطئها اﻷنف، لكنه في نفس الوقت ﻻ يسترجع للذاكرة قصص ألف ليلة و ليلة و غيرها، لكنه بكل تأكيد يغمرك بروح التراث الشرق أوسطي ...
يرتكز العطر على ملكة اﻷزهار "الورد" من النوع التركي ... وهي نوت تحتاج في رأيي المتواضع إلى حنكة عطرية إذا ما أريد لها أن تكون ضمن عطر محايد "Unisex" و أعتقد لن يسهل هذا إﻻ بتكبيل إشراقها و إرتقاءها المعروف و نداوتها الطرية اﻷنثوية و حﻻوتها الرحيقية، و ذلك بجعلها ذات طابع غامق كثيف من خﻻل إستخدام نوت مكبله كالجلود و اﻷخشاب كالعود أو الراتنجات كالمر و اللبان كما في عطرنا هذا ...
عبير العطر تم توليفه بصورة متناسقة و تناغم غير عادي بسيمفونية أعطت مساحة للنوت البارزة ليشغل كل منها حيزه دون أن يمس أو يطغى أحدها على اﻷخر ...
العطر ليس به إنتقال واضح، و أعني تمييز بائن بحيث تستطيع وضعه ضمن الهرم العطري التقليدي في رأيي المتواضع، و أعتقد لسبب تشابه النوت في كثير من اﻷوجه بحيث أصبحت دعائم للنوت اﻷساسية أو جسور تعمل على ترابط تلك النوت و إستدارجها بسﻻسة ﻻ تشعر معها بإنتقال بائن بين المراحل المختلفة ...

يبداء بإفتتاحية زهرية حلوة مع جانب تابلي بصورة معتدلة و كما إتصال الخط العربي فإن هذه البداية تقودك مباشرة إلى الورد التركي الحلو العصاري لدرجة تحس معها أنك لو ضممت قبضة يدك ستتقطر رحيقا" كثيفا" مركزا"، هذه الرائحة تبداء معتدلة لكنها بعد ذلك تحاول التمدد و السيطرة على اﻷجواء لوﻻ تدخل الراتنجات في شكل دوامات غبارية من المر بصورته الراتنجية البلسمية القاتمة الحلوة و الحادة الﻷذعة في محاولة منه لكسر شوكة الورد، لكن تدخل الوسيط الذي يرافقه دائما" وهو اللبان و الذي يعمل على تهدئة المر و إضافة طابع منعش بحصيلته الليمونية الخشبية و الجانب الصنوبري. كل ذلك لترويض المر و جعله أكثر تلطفا" بالورد و إكساب اﻷخير بعض الطابع المخضر ﻹبراز أشواكه قبالة المر ...
بمرور الوقت تهداء المساجلة بين الورد و الراتنجات لكنها ما تزال حاضرة بصورة متعادلة مع ظهور لسمة دخانية جلدية ناعمة في تلك اﻷثناء و أظنها من الﻷبدانيوم، يتهادى العطر و يستمر عليها حتي نهايته ...

بعض النوت لم ألحظها بوضوح ربما لتداخلها مع النوت اﻷخرى ...

في رأي المتواضع، إذا إستمرت دار أراميس بهذه الخطوات من حرفة التوليف و الجودة العالية للمكونات، فسيكون لها شأن بين اﻹصدارات الخاصة للدور اﻷخرى ...
العطر من نوعية عطور الورد ذات الطابع المختلف لمن يخشى هذا النوع من العطور و الموجه خصوصا للطرفين من أن تميل لكفة حواء أكثر ...
العطر و من خﻻل المكونات جدير بأن يكون عطر شتوي بإمتياز ...
كما و أنه يصلح للجنسين كذلك ...
عن الثبات و الفوحان .... ستكل و تمل منهما

و دمتم بود :) ...

MonadiFloria
MonadiFloria

I have long been looking for a rose fragrance that is no too faminine, seems like I have found what I need. My first ever rose fragrance in my little collection, could well be my only rose fragrance.

I have to admit I didn't like it in the first 10 seconds as it started off a tad too strong for my liking. After half minute or so, the scent settles down and become something really amazing.

It's not a ultra-complex fragrance, instead it's rose all the way from the beginning til it dies (if it ever will). Very rich rose with some delicate spice at the back hanging around.

This is a very different fragrance in my collection as I usually prefer fresher, citrusy scent. But this completely changes my mind and I am more than happy to have bought this scent.

Angelica 000
Angelica 000

I have just purchased this blind.....THANK YOU to all the people who took the time to write reviews. I LOVE it (1 hour so far) the deep, deep rose with smoky over tones promises to become addictive. Smoldering ,sexy,& beautifully dark.

rp6969
rp6969

What the...?!
I never would have given this a second glance, Aramis being one of those things we wore waaaay back in the day. But the plethora of rave reviews caught my eye and I'm glad they did.

This is a crazy good fragrance. I admired it on the first wearing, but by the second I was deeply in love. Plush, refined, elegant, resinous rose. Amazing longevity and sillage. Sad that it has been discontinued. This may be the first fragrance that inspires me to stockpile backup bottles. Can't beat the price. I find that if I layer this with Kiehl's Original Musk I get a fair approximation of my cherished Lutens' Rose de Nuit for a mere fraction of the cost.

I am anxious now to try Calligraphy Saffron.

aqua_de_la_vita

Just received this fragrance and...WOW it's F @# SEXY. Both Rose and honeysuckle with a hint of saffron gives a sweet creamy vib. Myrrh, strayx and olibanum gives this juice a real attractive unisex smokey/woodsy scent which is very high quality lasting well past 8hrs.
After this frag settles the amazing aroma plays on your skin like a ballerina very clean and elegant.
Longevity and Silage is EXCELLENT.
Finally,
It's a real shame Estēe Lauder discontinued this PHENOMENAL juice. If they ever bring it back, hopefully they won't destroy the quality of this fragrance using more synthetic materials which cheapens the allure of this romantic fragrance. This is a NO BRAINER.....5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐...10/10.
Whoever has this fragrance...enjoy it. Those who want Kilian or Lutens..definitely give this juice a chance it's worth it.

gedlive
gedlive

From the opening to the mid it's more feminine with the rose then a feminine powdery note. I don't want to mislead the ladies, it is also rather dark and dense. The oregano is used as Basil is often used in orientals, it ads a herbal touch.

From the mid to dry down its close to M7 Oud Absolu ,resinous with a dominant Myrrh note. But I like M7 OA better, so I won't be buying a bottle of this. It is a nice oriental, I will enjoy my 10 ml, save it for the cold Winter season when it will be nicer.

perfectscent4Jus
perfectscent4Jus

Phenomenal! 44 bottles and countless vials/samples of perfume later, I finally found "the one". I'm still a little shocked that my signature scent is a rose-based scent. Roses are for girls, right?! Well, most of the time I guess. In the case of this little gem, fear not gentlemen. Oud is not listed as a note, but I'm getting that vibe. It's this presence plus the saffron and musk that prevent it from being too girlish. I love orientals. But oriental fragrances are suppose to be ignored for 1/2 the year until the colder weather hits. The notes in Calligraphy Rose blend together so well that it never becomes cloying. Just go easy on the trigger (like I did today in 80 degree weather) and you'll be okay. It lasted 1/2 the day on my skin, which normally soaks up perfume like a sponge! If you like MPeG's Ambre Precieux, you will like Calligraphy Rose as well. This is an extreme or intense version of Ambre Precieux with a bit of David Yurman Limited thrown in for good measure. I think I'll go buy myself another bottle (or two)!

Highly recommended, and Cheers!

jtd
jtd

The rose is often maligned among fumies. It's quaint, it's prosaic, it's the low hanging fruit of floral perfumes. It's lovely on the bush but uninteresting in the bottle. Perhaps the rose's greatest sin among the cognicsienti: it's common.

I see it differently. The rose’s ability to play the common denominator makes it the ultimate contextual note. Whole genres are created through the rose's affinity with woods, ambers and resins, fruits and mosses. Rose notes make the most beautiful chypres, fruity florals, florientals and woody florals. It has so many intuitive pairings because there are many facets to rose that are enhanced by other materials and notes: patchouli, oakmoss, cedar, citrus, musk, labdanum, vanilla, berry. Rose perfumes can be woody, jammy, sweet/dry, bright/dark, soft, garish, innocent or skanky. Rose is to flowers what sandalwood is to woods: the broadest, most encompassing example of its genre. The best analogy I can come up with for the rose is blood types. Rose is the AB + blood type of perfumery: the universal recipient. The rose can be paired with just about anything.

And here is the trap.

Many fumies disdain rose perfumes because, where's the artistry in a note that can't help but smell good? What good is beauty if it's common? My counter to this line of thinking has two parts. 1) There have been terrible rose perfumes, so quality isn't guaranteed. 2) Smell Amouage Lyric Woman, Vero Profumo Rozy or Paco Rabanne la Nuit and tell me that rose lacks character.

Aramis Calligraphy Rose takes full advantage of the rose and uses oud to make a woody rose/floriental hybrid. A hybrid/hybrid. The rose springboards off a light oud note to create a heady, jammy, boozy perfume with lush sillage and a long arc. Aramis clearly sees the perfume as a market-expander, a foot in the door of an Arabic sensibility and demographic. The marketing strategy is simple to the point of crass, especially compared to Amouage, a comparison Aramis would desperately like the consumer to make. But the perfume is lovely. It steps straight into the line of fire of the rose critics by being a 'feel good' fragrance. But passing the Guy Robert 'smell good' test is only the first hurdle of any perfume. From there, a perfume must then be considered in light of criteria such as coherence, balance and thoughtfulness, and Calligraphy Rose rises to the occasion.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

New addition to my collection. This is a mature age oriental rose with sweetness and good longevity. Opulent, rich, heavy duty, middle eastern style, but very pleasant, great for cold weather and special occasion perfume.

isanie
isanie

I blind bought this one because there were so many lovely reviews here. And yes, mine will be added to the rest ;0) This is a wonderful perfume, full bodied, spicy, warm, comforting, classy, oriental... Sweet without being cloying, long lasting and true quality. Even after taking a shower it survived and this morning at around 5 I still got a whiff of musk, so longevity is amazing. And of course, I'm a lover of rose scents- the kind with some depth to them. I sprayed some on my wrists today and can't stop sniffing. Best blind buy ever!

fpih
fpih

A very well done -and well behaved- rose that manages to not feel "dated" like many rose fragrances do. A bit spicy too, but I don't detect the incense that other reviewers mentioned, nor do I find it dark and mysterious. It's more elegantly sexy than provocative; could be worn easily with a power suit as well as a sexy strappy dress which makes it quite versatile. Also quite strong and long lasting.

But trully? Not my cuppa as I like them darker and deeper (this one has a 'sharp' rose note if that makes any sense). I prefer Midnight Oud by JHaG or EL's Mystique Amber to get my dose of Eastern roses as I find them more opulent and interesting.

star24

la cope so this smells like transvestites??I have to say I really don't think many will agree as scent has no sex.I love this perfume and feel that any scent with the right skin chemistry can be worn by either female or male I just don't get the transvestite reference and I'm pretty sure neither will many folks.The scent reminds me of turkish bazaars and belly dancers but it may remind some people of summer beaches for all I know.Scent has memories but not sexuality this is determined by the wearer and how they feel.
Just to edit the user that compared this to transvestites has removed the review just in case anyone reading wonders what the heck this is referring to.I was a little upset at the reference to gender/sexuality that was made as I found it irrelevant to the review.

michael.j
michael.j

I got this as a blind-buy because I found it online for $50. A deal for sure since it's normally around $125. I have the first Calligraphy release and I love it. This one, however, left me feeling claustrophobic, smothered by an infinitely dense, syrupy murk of amber and sugar. I agree with a previous reviewer's comment that this is very like Turkish delight. In the opening, the rose is lovely, but fifteen minutes into the dry-down, the heaviness enveloped me like a wool blanket on a hot, sunny beach. Suffocating and nauseating. I much prefer a drier rose, like Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan (rose and patchouli) or the drier oud and rose combos. I can see how this would be popular, though, since many people seem to like sweet, heavy fragrances. I'm just not one of them.

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

I am just a little disappointed with Calligraphy Rose. It is not as sophisticated and mysterious as I hoped. It is more like falling into a vat of Turkish delight. It is that kind of rose, very loud and persistent. There is something slightly dark and smoky and a bit woody that goes on but nothing to hold back the runaway rose. The rose note itself is very similar to the rose of Perles de Lalique but I do prefer the woodsy ISO super E development of Perles. Calligraphy R is a bit too brash and linear. Not so delightfully blended.I think you would be a brave man to wear this. I do not associate such a big rose note with a masculine image.

ggabriella
ggabriella

I was thinking seriously if to write a review on this nectar or just to hide it and keep it for me. I decided that the tastes are various enough and my opinion might help someone.
I bough this perfume not fully convinced, and had a helping hand from my other half. Had the need for an extrem smell that might blow me away for a while. And I do consider myself lucky to have found it. It just perfect. Perfect fully blossom rose, even a slight smell of whitened rose. And after that all combined with the most delicious smoke just appearing from underneath the rose. Simply lovely. Lasts and lasts... Simply beautiful.

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ A complimentary Calligraphy from another continent could not have arrived at a better time of the year. The winter here in my corner of the world has refused to give over to spring and that is what I found in the two seasons of this Aramis! To my nose a dominant dark spicy oriental that blends seamlessly with a submissive emerging floral. The day my grateful sample arrived I spritzed my wrist cautiously wanting to savor the moment. The darkness of of the Myrrh caught my nose first and left me wanting more. It wasn't until I took a walk outside into a swirling breeze that it all opened up and even as a strong man I was left weak in the knees! I sat down on the deck to take in this beauty from across the Atlantic. Like hand written poetry the perfume flowed into a lyrical composition of a long lasting flowery myrrh. Swirling Saffron and Rose complimenting the smokey resinous darkness seemed all very exotic to this fresh aromatic Chanel lover. As always I easily imagine lovely images compliments of my nose and this magical elixir evokes in me an exotic dancer desirable, mystical, seductive in her movements behind her veil of Turkish delight!
Kind Regards, Plat ~

burgundyangel
burgundyangel

This is in my must try list. I am really fortunate to spot it on display behind the cashier counter while I paying for my Stella by Stella McCartney. SA was very helpful and allow me to test it. Awesome awesome intoxicating dark deep rose, middle eastern vibe no doubt. Bought a bottle immediately and cannot stop smelling my arms. Comtemplating to go back and grabbed another bottle. Must try if you are a rose love.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

I am usually not a fan of rose – not at all, honestly, except for a couple of masculines - but this Aramis scent nails it completely. It manages to smell “rose”, but without that sort of haunting soapy heaviness many rose scents have (or on the contrary, without smelling like floor cleaner as many cheap rose scents). The key here is how perfectly they managed to balance rose with a smoky-dusty sweet resinous base, which is discreet but perfectly enhances the elegance and the juiciness of rose “taming it down” enough to provide some more dynamism and colour. This fragrance is quite simple actually, as it’s basically a resinous rose; but it’s really pleasant, solid, much versatile, surprisingly unisex and compelling. Nothing ground-breaking, but perfect for “mild fans” of rose which wouldn’t wear rose bombs, but still enjoy the note a bit. Silky, warm and classy. Honestly if I’d ever buy a scent with “rose” in its name, it would be this. It’s cozy, effortlessly refined and really pleasant to wear. Total good quality for the price.

lovetribe

at the beginning I did not understand much ... I looked like a mess of pink style old grandmother more myrrh ... seemed almost eau sauvage parfum with roses. then the notes they took a form and a precise identity.
the rose has lightened and became the best smell rose ever heard along with declaration d'un soir. is softened and not sour from the myrrh and olibanum. Amber is there but does not invade. and the background of saffron makes everything very nice.
a great scent ... sweeter montale black oud. but similar. very elegant and classy and slightly soapy. rapposto excellent price / quality. not for the hot season. 9/10

nettoyant
nettoyant

Dry but rich rose, resins and powder! I didn't expect powder and I'm so pleased! I sprayed one spritz under my t shirt and this bold, rich, lush, earthy and sweet balmy rose has surrounded me all afternoon. For rose fans who also appreciate Arabian attars but are afraid of/can't tolerate oud. Gorgeous and unique in the mainstream NA market. You can find it under $40 US (if you are in the US) I paid $100 shipped to Canada, worth every scent. $40 is a serious steal.

The longevity and silage are WAY above average.

Babygia
Babygia

This is the most beatiful rose/lokoum fragrence ever... Breathtaking and jawdropping beauty,at every stage of development... First strong blast of rosey/ spicy cloud ,then still mouthwatering opulent rose Amber, at the ending still rosecushion with vanilla and incense/myrrh drydown...Loud at beginning , whisper at drydown...
I found my perfect rose dream !

Lacrimosa
Lacrimosa

❀ For the first 10-15 minutes I smell rose petals in a marmelade my grandma used to make. A jammy, thick rose scent that I didn't really care for to have as a perfume, to tell my honest opinion.
But then it mellows into a dark, sexy, slightly smoky n' spicy rose-myrre scent. I really enjoy this stage and it lasts for hours and hours...really long lasting and with such depth! *the rose hunt*

chris1graves
chris1graves

Wow! I fell in love with the first Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis at first spray. I thought it couldn't get any better, but this is RIDICULOUS! Perfume Calligraphy Rose is absolutely DIVINE! This fragrance is so well blended, and the ROSE is perfectly spotlighted throughout the entire day of wearing. It has crossed my mind to never wear anything else ever again. This is "if I were stranded on an island for the rest of my life and could choose only one fragrance to have" good!
Since this is marketed for the Middle East, it may be difficult to obtain in North America and Europe. However, Neiman Marcus sells this jewel, the original, and also the SAFFRON Calligraphy in 3.4oz bottles for $130.00(USD). Given the platinum quality of this DIAMOND, that is a bargain price. I would buy this even if it were 5 times more expensive. It's that good!

Planet_X
Planet_X

For first time will agree with chorus of admiration on fragrantica - its so sublime beautiful rose-oriental, with depth, great incense-vibe and spices, suitable to all situations and all genders, one of most successful offerings on nowadays market and will become a classic. Well deserved 5 star.

Donatella
Donatella

Three simple words: beautiful, elegant, classy... It makes me feel very feminine and so alive.
Fantastic longevity and sillage.

Plantus

@Callie86 Sorry but I don't agree, this beauty isn't just for women, men can wear it as well.

In the opening, the rose may be to much for most of the men, but in about 30 minutes, the true nature of this fragrance, it's unleashed. Beautiful opulent, smoky rose with tons of character.

It's remind me a bit of the dry down of the original M7.

Performances, as I said before, are great!

I must admit, this can be sexy as hell, on the right woman, also!

Callie86
Callie86

I've been looking for my wedding scent, I wanted something different but appealing, sweet but not sickly, long lasting but not repetitive and I think I've found all of it in this scent. Now I must admit, I blind bought after doing my research.
At first as many other reviews have mentioned I thought it was bit pungent and 'mature' for me (I'm 28), but after the initial hours it has developed into a more subtle, vanilla hue, which I'm really liking.
There's an essence of Dior Posion within the after tones, but not heavy or offensive as I've sometimes found Dior Poison to be.
The floral notes are warmed by the vanilla and slightly spiced under layers, I feel these undertones carry the fragrance away from the body, to create a sweet and warm aura, yet on closer inspection (sniff to the skin), the rose scent is still there.
I think people will wonder what your wearing as it's not as generic or know as other perfumes (alien can be smelt and recognised a mile away).
For me I wouldn't wear this on a daily or general basis, but keep it for those occasions where you want such a lingering warm scent.
I'll definatly debut this on my wedding day.

Ps personally it's a feminine smell, not for men, but for women of my age up, no younger than later twentys, as it's not a 'fun' scent, it's more of an alluring sexy, exotic scent.

slapdash
slapdash

Not quite the earth-shattering experience I had secretly hoped for, but there is no doubt that this justifies the hype.

Skewing feminine to begin with, the rose dense and syrupy, it doesn’t take long for Calligraphy Rose to reveal its true nature: an incense-led scent carried by a pronounced rose and, on me, a long-lasting ambergris. The prevailing effect is dry and dusty with a resinous top, which makes me think this would actually work well in warmer climate too. Throw in a touch a of spice and a delicately lingering sweetness and it’s hard not to ensnared by its considerable charms.

And it lasts and lasts.

Deeply satisfying and easily passes off for something worth twice to three times the asking price.

A bona fide winner.

our lee
our lee

If you like middle-eastern rose scents, this is for you. I spent some time in Oman and UAE and this smell took me straight back. Although I must admit initially, as I blind buy, I had wasted my money. Far too feminine and not to my normal taste in fragrances. I had wanted to try something a bit different and got it wrong.

But, as the scent settles and the notes develop, it makes you realise what a wonderful blend this is. And it is Aramis! My uncle (in his 60s) is a fan of Aramis fragrances! But this is something completely different...

However, I do stick by my initial thoughts that this is more of a feminine fragrance. I will continue to wear it though as I like it so much...

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

I received a tester of this from a kind member as I had been exploring rose scents. I didn't like it initially as I found the top notes too much like cough syrup and it was overall much sweeter and stickier than I was expecting it to be so I scrubbed it off shortly after first applying. Where were the resins, smoke and rose?

I have re-tested several times, however, and this has grown on me immeasurably. It still begins with strawberry sugar syrup and oregano, which does give it a slightly medicinal start. It then mellows into a resinous, ambery, sweet middle - still with strawberry florals. The dry down is more sheer and dry.

As others have mentioned, the longevity is really good, and it's a scent that is interesting without being hard work. I have and love POAL but some days I just can't face it. Calligraphy Rose I could wear any time. It is fruity and sweet, sticky and comforting, dry and herbal. It shifts enough that you never get sick of any of its facets.

The sillage works in a strange way, too. I cannot smell it on my skin but I definitely smell it around me, as do others. And whilst it is present, it is not thick or suffocating. One of the aspects I appreciate best is that it shifts from being thick to transparent without losing potency.

For me (and of course, different people prefer different scents), this is deeper than La Fille de Berlin, more striking than Café Rose, more realistic than Jo Malone's roses, less savoury than Ambre Sultan, less work than Portrait of a Lady... In fact, it withstands comparison with far more expensive scents very well.

I'm getting a bottle, and I don't mean "oh, I'll add it to my want list", no, I'm getting a bottle the second I finish typing.

EDIT: I did order a bottle the second I finished typing but whilst waiting for it to arrive in the post I realised that I haven't missed it and I haven't gone back to sadly sniff the empty vial of my tester. I have concluded, therefore, that I will never get through 100ml of this stuff, lovely though it may be, it just isn't my style.

EDIT 2: Well the above resolution crumbled. I opened it, instantly sprayed it and have no regrets! (And the cap is real wood.)

tara2013
tara2013

I jst got this parfume from blind buy. After read thr reviews, i feel confident to buy it. No regret.
Beautiful parfume, long lasting, and great sillage..
I cant describe this fragrance but this parfume smell like turkish delight + ince se. it isnt boring sweet rose wait until you get the dry down..wow so elegant and classy
But if you dont like smell of turkish delight,dont bother to get it.

tdwctdwc

I have to post a second comment about this and say: This is so easy to wear to the point where it moved aside even my most precious casual-wear vetiver/woody/aromatic scents in order to crown itself as my most worn scent of the month.

I love the subtle smooth richness of its ingredients. It's never offensive no matter how much you apply.

Ridiculously versatile and easy to wear, more than one could imagine.

Hats off to the perfumer. Splendid job in blending, seriously!

Plantus

This is the first Aramis fragrance I ever tried, and I'm speechless.

I'm a men and I usually don't like rose based fragrances, but this one it's so special, the rose it's blended perfectly with the other notes. Amazing quality and performances. Puts to shame most of my other fragrances.

star24

I'm just beginning to explore notes and different types of scent so I'm no expert I just know what I like.Perfume does not have great sillage or longevity on my skin so I usually choose "powerful" fragrances and prefer oriental spicy type scents.Calligraphy Rose starts off with a strong saffron and turkish delight blast not sweet like candy but deep sweet spicy arabian souk sweet.On my skin this lasts about 6 hours as a deep real rose scent with a hint of musk then fades into a vanilla,honey,mild inscense waft that sits very close to my skin which lasts for 4 plus hours.I'm impressed with this perfume it has a really natural feminine floral scent without headache inducing cloying sweetness(like the fake cloying floral notes in TF black orchid which make me feel sick).I will be exploring more scents in this range now and recommend that if you like mature oriental scents with great longevity do try this.

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

This was a blind buy for me.It has taken me a week to really appreciate this beautiful perfume. If I had not bought it as a blind buy and had just sprayed on my wrist in the store I doubt very much if I would have given the SA my money for this. I was totally overwhelmed at the first spray and was dismayed. I sprayed it on my clothes and bedding to get a better understanding. I can now say that I do indeed love this.Dislike the first 5/10 minuets of this but well worth the dry down. Long lasting and worth being patient for. Longevity and sillage are very good.
Edited to say that I love this more every day. Not sure that I ever want to be without a bottle, so addictive.

tdwctdwc

A little too relentless for me in terms of sweetness (lots of honeysuckle). I like it better once it calms down and once the resinous facets come to surface. I also like the way the oregano is introduced in this, not too much, just right to give it another layer of complexity.

I can certainly see the quality, depth and appeal especially among rose fans.

EDIT: 7 hours on my skin and still going strong from one small spray, but most importantly: Still evolving. The drydown keeps getting better and better. Styrax and Frankincense are more pronounced now. Really superb drydown.

EDIT 2: Ended up buying it (for half the price; a local store had it on a 50% sale !)

EDIT 3: This stuff is gorgeous. I never imagined i would ever have a rose scent in my top 5, not because it's not "manly", but because i'm usually not a fan of the note and tend to prefer hardcore smoky strictly balsamic resinous scents.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

A very resinous and slightly sweet rose scent. Love at 1st sniff for me. All of the notes are well balanced together but refined. The saffron,myrrh and frankincense are the true stars. The rose is there but does not overwhelm. This is the first that I have tried from the Calligarphy set and it's an absolute stunner! It outshines many "niche" scents with the same theme. Very long lasting and great projection as well. A bit heavy so I would go with it on cooler temps.

Jomoves

There seems to be a lot of cult interest in this one, with many people, including myself, buying it blind online simply because it's so hard to come by. Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that Michael Kors Rose Gold has a very similar smell (not as strong though) and is more widely accessible if you want to test it to have some idea what Calligraphy Rose is like before you buy.

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

I do believe this is the rose I have been quite possibly searching for all my life. My order arrived today and my first impression is that it is a strong contender against Portrait of a Lady (meaning both are beautiful, bold, strong, long lasting heavy sillage dynamite bombastic scents, not that they are exactly the same) at 1/4th the price. I will have to do a side by side comparison to see if it is worth owning both, especially considering the high price POAL commands.

Either way, Calligraphy Rose is AMAZING. The rose is deep, dark and jammy while remaining sweet. Not a hint of sourness on my skin, which is nice since sourness has been an issue with many other rose perfumes I have tried (Noir de Noir,Rose Cut, Velours de Roses, Broadway Nite, etc..)

Just a gorgeously strong rose peeking out under heavy, heavenly spices. I don't know enough about spices to identify each individual one in here, but I can definitely tell that this perfume is extremely well blended and is using high quality ingredients. In some ways I am almost afraid to wear it too much now, because I don't want to get used to it and have it lose its specialness... but it's so addictive that I'm sure I will want to wear it ALL the time!

I hope to make this perfume a life-long companion and hope it NEVER gets discontinued or hard to find! I would seriously buy like 10 bottles the first time I hear a rumor of discontinuation.

The perfect rose.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Countless Rose fragrances have soured my skin and been scrubbed off. At long last, Love.

Calligraphy Rose unfolds, just as the flowers do on my rosebushes. Wearing this scent, I feel as if I'm a butterfly, intoxicated by its' beautiful smell. Rose, yes, but velvety, dark and lush. Almost a nectar. But then... smoke curls from underneath those petals. This is not your grandmother's rose. It is always playing hide and seek with the gorgeous resins, peeking out when least expected. The Saffron lends an exotic, somewhat Arabic touch.

Was all the searching for my Rose worth it? Yes. I feel lucky to has finally found her. Calligraphy Rose is complex and exquisite. I've not smelled anything like it before. I have worn a decant sent by a kind member for four days straight. Just to be sure. I ordered a full bottle.

Odelia
Odelia

I already own the classic Perfume Calligraphy which I love. But this one is just breathtaking. A deep sweet-jammy red rose sitting on a base of gorgeous sweet resins. Mysterious and opulent. However, on my skin, after the initial rose blast, the rose takes one step behind and makes room for a ton of SAFFRON. Reminds me of the sweet saffron and rose Persian ice cream, with the accent on saffron. Eating that while burning sweet incense. Very complex scent that creates as complex feelings. Be careful, it has a monster silage and longevity and it is not your classic take on roses, so some ''virgin noses'' might not fully appreciate this gem. Two sprays are more than enough.

polka
polka

I am slowly starting to get fed up with rose&oud combinations that became so popular over the last few years, so I was pretty sceptical upon smelling the opening notes of Calligraphy Rose, even though rose made a very good first impression. Now that I have gone through all its phases, I am glad to announce that this is one of the best frags I have discovered lately.

The rose here is just like I wanted it to be countless times I tested various rose compositions: deep, mature, dense, almost oily - just a pure, totally natural essence of wild roses. It's properly sweet, very deftly balanced with smoky/earthy notes of ambergris, and rounded with balsamic olibanum-labdanum combo. The oud I have detected in the opening, has almost completely dissappeared after a while, leaving Calligraphy Rose smelling a bit like the highest quality sherry for a moment. And it felt so good!

I am totally impressed with this one and seriously considering purchasing a full bottle.

born for shalimar
born for shalimar

Hello there.is this suitable for ladies.i like s sweet perfume and need some advise as whether to buy.the notes look wonderfull and i love rose.i have amouge lyric on my want list.its been there for some time while expensive guerlains have taken precidence .calligraphy rose looks like it may be next in line.if anyone has s bottle to sell will be quite happy to buy.this perfume could fit me like s glove.i am an assertive but very gentle female.my colors are purple burgandy and blue and calligraphy rose seems right.any word of wisdom.the reviews here are so helpfull i coudnt be without fragrantica and its loyal members.

AntonisZ
AntonisZ

I am a fan of Aramis' male perfumes. Also, I am a fan of rose notes in masculine perfumes. That said and judging from the raving reviews here, I got very intrigued to get one of those beautifully crafted Calligraphy Rose perfumes.
At last, I received one just yesterday and tested it.
In all honesty, I need to report that I can STILL detect the smell of the perfume on my wrist after almost 15 hours of that single spray there!

Now to the perfume: This is a very bold Rose scent and you smell it from the start to the deepest base of the perfume. What's so amazing is the surrounding blend of notes which form a balsamic extension to the primal thick rose. It's a very "ethereal-oil" blend that transfers from a thick and smoky in the beginning to a creamy-balmy cloud around the prominent bold Rose after a couple hours.
Even now, after all those hours from the first application, I get a creamy rose jam essence.

This is promoted as a unisex fragrance but to me, it's definitely a feminine one. I like the idea of a blend of bold rose notes with a set of other thick oils to emphasise and carry along a dreamlike rose cloud but this particular blend gets just too powerful on the rose notes for my liking...

So if you like thick rose blends in the Arabian tradition, you really have to try this one.
As for me, I am sure that my mum would love to get my Calligraphy Rose bottle as Christmas present!

Overall rating: 8/10

scented2014
scented2014

rich, beautiful, dense rose. it smells delicious rose jam and lasts for long-long hours! one of the best roses in perfumery imho.

Roge'
Roge'

I want to thank the following people for their unknowing contribution to my happiness: Angela Agiannidou, Andrew, Juma, Nebelgeist, Susan75, Jomoves, Glamdoc, Kanz Oman, Rawannnna, Prot72, Almond Breakfast, Originaldeftom, Chain and Scentofman. Because of your review, I took the Pepsi challenge and blind bought this amazing rose.

This is an old school powdery powerhouse with weighty features reminiscent of Classic Karl Lagerfeld. All notes here are hyperbolized to the max. A severely deep rose throughout mixed with soapy saffron and smoky olibinum. By far the heftiest fragrance that i own. DO NOT wear this fragrance to the following places: A first date, job interview, airplane or train. This is my 9th favorite fragrance that i own.

Words that come to mind: Flaunt, Boombastic and Bulky

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

What a beauty, this coming from me is a great complement. I am a self confessed incense/styrax/vetiver fan,if there is rose in my scent it usually is hidden behind a cloud of smoke.. (I know, those in my proximity do suffer in silence..)
But, I have to give credit, this perfume has a dominant,ripe rose,its not a shy,spring bloom but a bold sexy one,ripened in the Mediterranean/North African sun, reminds me of Turkish delight as the rose is at the forfront backed all the way by a musky myrrh mixed with olibanum. Think of it as a rose garden next to a Morrocan resins market and you won't be far from the truth
For those who love true orientals this is a masterpiece,also longevity is excellent and sillage, this is a new favourite.

Andrew
Andrew

I bought it for my wife. She said it is the best perfume she has ever had from me.
Everyday she is getting compliments and questions what is this nice fragrance.
Deep, rich, warm, unique and very remarkable, perfect sillage lasting over 6 hours (but not offensive at all). Rose is very hidden and not to identify immediately so perfect blended.
A true gem.

Juma
Juma

It's sort of dirty resinous smoky rose on me. Rich on resins, saffron, labdanum, resins and even oud. Altough there is no oud listed, I get it a lot in. It's exotic arabian night vibe and defin. reminds me to Dior Rose Ispahan.
I imagine mysterious, dark hair and olive skin woman wears this scent.
And it's defin unisex perfume. An oud note makes men's fragrances sexy, IMO.
I NEED to buy a bottle this autumn.
Edit:received a bottle.
2.edit: can a fragrance be more sensual, as it's this one? No.

NebelGeîst
NebelGeîst

The Calligraphy Rose appears powdery on me, while I can´t see where the powder may come from. I smell vanilla like aromas, while vanilla is not on the list, only styrax which is high in vanillin. The powder may come from the vanilla note I detect.
The rose I smell is strongest when you sniff on the bottle, on my skin it is caged by the ambery notes and resins and the warm slightly woody and leathery saffron.
On my skin, not rose plays the main act, but styrax.
Unfortunetaly my skin eats this perfume. To be really able to enjoy it, I have to re-apply it. So I´d say longevity in my case is rather weak, which is a pitty as most people get so much more from it.
Sillage is huge short after application, but melts down to moderate projection soon if I can trust my nose. Again different than most peoples experiences. But not necessarily bad, as I guess this perfume can easily be kind of invasive to other people. It is unisex in my opinion, but in my area unusual for a man. With to heavy sillage this would be less wearable for a man I guess.

After all, this is a nice oriental fragrance. Thanks to a nice fragrantican I have a pretty good amount of this perfume left to test in several situations and to decide if I get a full bottle even with the longevity problems.

susana75
susana75

Today I received this gem , what can I say ,Its creamy, seductive, aggressive perfume its just like comes from ancient place Arabian 1001 stories . The opening is blast of saffron my favorite spices ( used to drink tea aromatized with saffron and rose water every single day).
then settle down to spicy balsamic rose . lovely...love the ward rose in Arabic ( wrd ورد) as we say it in Arabic . This perfume is very me , I will definitely going to buy all calligraphy family..

Jomoves

I am a huge fan of rose scents and bought this blind based on what I had read here. I was not disappointed at all. This is a very strong and sexy beast! Loads of deep rose, musk, cedar, tabacco and all things masculine. The silage is moderate but the longevity is off the charts. As a reference point, it's like Tom Ford's Cafe Rose and Jo Malone's Red Roses mixed together and then trtippled in power. No surprise really, Aramis, Tom Ford and Jo Malone are all Estee Lauder companies

For those who thought the best of Aramis stopped when the 80s ended, this fragrance is testimony to the fact that they can still create stunningly original and strong perfumes. You just have to look to the Middle East to find them. I can see this one becoming a collectors item in years to come.

Glamdoc
Glamdoc

Stumbled on this in Dubai duty free and I took a sniff and swooned,literally. I couldn't stop sniffing that tester card and wanted to purchase immediately but I remembered how Versace oud failed me in the longevity department so I decided to wait. Well, 4 hours later I could still perceive it on the card so I bought it. Thank goodness I didnt listen to a friend who thought Aramis couldn't deliver.
The scent is magical- deep,enchanting,mysterious. Think an attractive ,powerful ,mysterious woman you can't quite figure out. Very nicely blended. How a quality perfume should be. My disappointment is that it lasts days and days on clothes but on my skin,in 4-6 hrs,it's almost gone. Very sad. Its a very intense,head-turning,compliment-attracting scent with heavy sillage when it's around. If you can deal with re-applying after 6 or so hours to get that effect again,please don't hesitate to get this. It's a brilliantly blended oud.

Kanz Oman
Kanz Oman

Who want a strong rose scent, this is the best.

Rawannnna
Rawannnna

This is top quality perfume. I wonder who is behind it?
I haven't seen it in stores but only in airports, from the first sniff, I could smell quality and a different perfume character.

The rose note here is very mature, not innocent rose as in miss charming of JHAG or fresh rose or even dirty rose like vengeance extreme JHAJ, rather, very ripe and really intoxicating, blended very carefully with other notes, creating this smoky cloud around you, really one of the best rose-oriental-spicy perfumes out there.

Sillage and longativity are also amazing, the perfume does change a lot, rather, it deepens.

The sillage and longlivity of this one is enormous. It's as strong as Habanita is and it goes in the same direction but is less sweet. It's more on the spicey side. When I first sprayed it on, I thought the blast is too strong and that I wouldn't like it. At first it's more about strong and herbal notes. Styrax, ambergris, labdanum and olibanum made me want to put the scent away immediatly. But then it developes and the myrrh and rose come out strongly. My friends say, in the drydown it's also a bit like candy. I don't get these candy notes. I guess they speak about the flowery notes there. To me it is very spicy in the drydown and the saffron and oregano stand out, mixed with a hint of flowers. It's very different from the usual scents on the market and you really have to like it loud here. To me it's a bit like a modern Habanita. I like the scent but I also tried to wear it - and there I found it's not for me. It's too overwhelming and too much spices and myrrh for my likes. I like the scent in general - but it's not for me :-)

prot72
prot72

Ok, I have hundreds of perfumes so I couldn't even imagine that something will kill me and blow my mind for hours and days. Also I wouldn't be person who is enjoying news and writing compliments for new release. But Calligraphy Rose is unbelievable fragrance.... I never ever was so strongly kicked into my head... This is beauty in its purest form ever. Amazing marriage between rose, saffron and resins. Not sweet at all, very middle eastern, Turkish, tea, rose oils worth thousands of dollars for a drop, resins from ancient world. Unbelievable!!! New space and new generation of fragrances. Nothing like that was before in history. So even don't think just look for it and buy even you will spend last penny.

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

Just tried this a few hours ago, now the drydown is even more beautiful than the top, smooth and divine.. myrrh, rose, saffron, musk, labdanum, vanilla (I'm quite sure I smell vanilla here).

This is similar to Lalique Le Parfum, but smoother and more refined. Lalique does feel more luxe and powerful. Both are great fragrances.

Still, this is a very beautiful, exotic and charming night fragrance. 4 sprays are enough to take you on a romantic magic carpet ride in Arabian night, thanks to its trailing subtleness, or whispers.

-AlmondBreakfast-

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I concur with "scentofman". Came across this wonderful perfume today in one of London's famous department stores and could not believe the quality of it!
Aramis? Quality? Last time I checked it was an 'old man's brand' for old man's scents and classics, no?

I could not be more wrong. This is truly a top notch modern Arabian influenced, beautifully composed Rose/ Resin love affair!

Again, like with Estee Lauder's Amber Mystique, a very competitive price point at £95 for 100ml.

Next to me, an obviously wealthy Arabic lady bought 2 bottles.....I am not surprised.

Very authentic, very rich, very good value for money.

9.5/10 (and that is without testing on skin, just sniffing the bottle and spraying into air)

chain

The silage of this perfume is fantastic!Lovely fragrance now my all time favorite, Estee Lauder wood mystique used to be my favorite perf ,this just knocked it off.....

chain

Just got it today ,so l cant comment much,just sprayed once and l was blown away.Will give update later,after 4 wears.

scentofman
scentofman

With the trend in full affect by Western perfume houses in creating oud and rose blends this is one of the best. I’ve tried most of the new additions but this one is Royal.

The Turkish rose absolute last throughout the sympathy of the notes transition. It is well blended with myrrh, labdanum, musk and ambergris. The sillage is profound and the longevity is fantastic compared to many premium counterparts that die down within 6 hours.

I can confidently compare Perfume Calligraphy Rose to the Amouage lineup. It has quality ingredients and is well blended and unique, which is an accomplishment in the foray of the Arabian oriental genre that is becoming plagued with hasty and unconvincing perfumes under the “oud & rose” label.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.