Designers » A » Oriental « Groups

Black Suede Avon for men

Black Suede Avon for men
dislike

Black Suede by Avon is a Oriental fragrance for men. Black Suede was launched in 1980. The fragrance features nutmeg, amber, musk, oakmoss, cloves and woodsy notes.

Nutmeg Amber Musk Oakmoss Cloves Woodsy Notes

Black Suede Fragrance Reviews

Judahsmith

Warm and comforting. Relaxing and sexy, in short I could be buried in this fragrance. For me...an underrated desert island frag.

Judahsmith

Ok, here goes... I have long avoided any fragrance produced by Avon. I am a younger fragrance enthusiast in my 30s, and always felt Avon fragrances were cheap and old-fashioned. However, I have been experimenting with a number of “old school fragrances”, and have loved them. The key with older fragrances is very light application, lighter than I would normally use with more modern scents. For example with most modern fragrances (although the strength of each varies) my standard application for my skin is a MAX of 3 sprays...

1 chest/upper neck
1 stomach,
.5 sprays on each wrist.

This gives me a subtle aroma bubble for most modern frags.

I may nix “the stomach spray” (bringing it down to 2) for stronger modern frags. But I rarely find a fragrance that needs 4 sprays. At 4 sprays I hate to tell you, but you DO SMELL like “THAT COLOGNE GUY”, at least with my skin. If I have a weaker fragrance, my stomach spray will be on the back off my head instead, for projection. Now with an older fragrance, especially a so-called “powerhouse” fragrances I’ll generally use 1 full spray to the center of my chest, and the scent is perfect all day. This is how I wear Van Cleef and Arpels, Quorum, etc. When I do this it smells amazing. Complex, but not overpowering. Especially, because I normally wear a full suits. But I digress...

I finally decided I would try a few Avon fragrances. I tried Wild Country and hated it. It had that weird Avon smell, that’s cheap and old-fashioned. The epitome of “OLD MAN smell.” It smelled like the chemical they use to scent old "Baby Wipes". My girl agreed. And then I tried the current iteration of Black Suede Leather. Just boring and linear, and still had this odd Avon vibe I didn’t like, which translates to me as cheap.

Then just recently someone gave me 2 bottles of the original, and new version of Black Suede. I actually prefer the new version the best. Some people will say any time a fragrance is reformulated it’s watered-down. And for fans of the original it may feel that way. However I think in many instances the company is merely tweaking the formulation for a more modern aesthetic that will resonate with a new generation of consumers (as well as the need to eliminate ingredients that may cause allergic reactions...aka Oakmoss) I for one having smelled both back to back prefer the newer. It’s less aggressive and even more subtle and cozy.

And for the record: I DO love Black Suede. Actually, for me this is mildly embarrassing. But it’s a very, very nice scent! It would have to be because for me to go out and buy two more bottles just to have as the safety when I openly admit I hate Avon fragrances is very telling. Now to be clear I’m not a fan of the top they still have that cheap Avon smell like old baby powder. But on my skin, right out of the shower... with the NEW formulation of Black Suede this “opening” only lasts the first five minutes. Once I get into the mid and basenotes it’s fantastic. And on my skin it lasts 6 to 7 hours. I have no idea what the note breakdown would be, it’s not really about breaking down individual notes with Black Suede it’s more the overall feel, or “aura”. And this is the “aura” when lightly applied (3 sprays, as mentioned above as this is not a powerhouse)-

WARM, INVITING, SAFE, SUBTLE. COZY, SEXY – Think curling up in front of a fire on a cold night, with a snifter of cognac (or glass of whiskey), a warm blanket and a good book (or old movie), with your girl at your side. All the while the aroma of some delicious, warm baked goods (cookies perhaps) is wafting through from a nearby oven.

This is definitely a fall/winter scent. It screams autumn in New York. The image of a sharp dressed, casual man, with a scarf and Peacoat, strolling through central park with his girl.

I have no previous associations with this fragrance, as I’m too young to remember it in its heyday, if it ever had one. It’s not modern. But it’s also not dated. It’s unique. And my girl who is in her late 20’s loves it! She’s not a fragrance enthusiast, but this is one she always snuggles up to sniff ...when I wear it. Well played Avon, well played.

emmahlou
emmahlou

Not bad. Opens surprisingly soapy and clean, dries to something warm and cuddly. My boyfriend received this as a christmas present, something out of the ordinary of his citrus based scents but it's nice. No longevity however, little sillage (with three sprays)

I cant vouch for this one. Smell first
To me it smells cheap and powdery

I cant vouch for this one. Smell first
To me it smells cheap and powdery

Marie69
Marie69

Pleasantly surprized. Opens nicely without an Avon twang. Maybe a classic bergamot vanilla citrus, into ambers. Nice, very nice. It is soft but has alot of holding power. This is quite classic. Many people would like this one. A safe bet.

Robwiz
Robwiz

I'm grateful to KJS88 for bringing this fragrance to my notice in the forum. It's clean smelling, light with a powdery dry down without any unpleasant cheap artefacts. It's very presentable for work situations and for settings where you want to smell good without wafting powerhouse 'cologne man' fumes across a room. I'm very happy with it and it's going to be in regular use in professional situations when I don't want to transmit olfactory signals. Highly recommended for others who relate to the situations I've described.
Update: I went away and took only this scent with me. I noticed that longevity on my shirt was very good and it reminded me of Old Spice.

FearlessFalcon
FearlessFalcon

Not much character in this. It has an aroma that smells of baby powder. I hate being a billboard for negative comments, but I simply don't see much potential in this. Oftentimes when smelling a cologne or perfume you can sense their notes, and specifics. You can create a certain feeling or evoke a memory associated with its aroma. It gives you a set of traits and characteristics, thereby developing a portrait of the fragrance. Your olfactory system produces an image of the smell stimulating it. How intricate and delightful the image depends upon the smell of the perfume.

But when sniffing this one, all I get is a powdery substance that smells past its due date. I don't receive a pleasant image with this. My dad simply described it as "old". But it's not that... It just the lack of personality. No wow factor, and no detectable uniqueness. Plenty of scents out there have been modeled, seemingly, after this one.

Indeed this fragrance is cheap; literally worth a few dollars on EBay. But that's probably for a reason... Best bet? Save those few dollars, and buy yourself a milkshake. Much more enjoyable.

Overall rating: 2/10

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

Maybe this was nice back in the day, but I only have the present formulation to go off of and it's so bland. Nothing black or suede about it. It's just sweet, powdery and generic. On the brightside at least it's better than all of the other Avon men fragrances whose names I can't even recall.

FlirtBoy
FlirtBoy

On my skin this smells quite powdery with a strange burnt-popcorn vibe if oversprayed, overall effect is very nice, longevity and projection are ok...suitable for a mature man. My rating: 8/10

NorthStar444
NorthStar444

Why do they have the aftershave bottle pictured?

This is the only good thing Avon has done for mens fragrances as far as i'm concerned. And it is awesome! Unlike most their tacky fragrances, this smells so classy, deep and warm.

celebrity89
celebrity89

I found the deodorant and find it very sweet and feminine. I will use this on the days I wear any fragrance that leans towards baby product territory.

Forget Freeman
Forget Freeman

Don't let the the age and price of this deter you, this is a well made, no nonsense cologne.

There is a spiciness to this but it is refined, not in your face, I can see a girl snuggling up to her boyfriend who is wearing this.

Perfect for winter/Autumn, I really think this is an inoffensive cologne that most guys will wear at some point.

Good!

NoApolloG
NoApolloG

Sweet powdery spice.
If talc powder was made for men it would and should smell like this.
This is a cologne to spray and cuddle with, it is just a perfect comfort scent and every man needs that kind of scent for those kind of situations.
An Avon classic that has earned and deserved its spot.
7 out of 10

KJS88
KJS88

Musk, spice, tonka, and vanilla--what this smells like in sillage is actually a lit incense stick, but without any headshop overtures or smoke, whatsover. This is barbershop stuff. Light, clean, smokeless, barbershop incense.

Black Suede really isn't bad at all, but at the risk of sounding like one of 'those people', it has suffered watering-down and thinning out over the years. It dies down to a barely-there skin scent far quicker than it used to even a few years ago. It was never a sillage monster and it never had powerhouse longevity, but it did once upon a time maintain a respectable presence for most of the day.

I'll probably still keep buying the body spray and cologne, if just for work use.

Konga5000
Konga5000

My favorite Avon (contemporary category ) for Men. This one even prods the frag "snobs" out to take a sniff and admit that it's not bad at all . Wonderful "foundation" frag for layering. Great for the price. Also makes a good gift !

Cocotea
Cocotea

Wore this in the 90s. Very powdery crisp woody and fresh. A little sweet as well. Had no idea it was a men's fragrance until my twenties because my mother always presented it without the box. I liked it well enough. I stopped wearing it at eighteen when my bottle fell and broke in the bathroom of my first ever job. If it smells the same I wouldn't mind a bottle now

Sueded leather and slight spice. A nice warm scent, veering towards the masculine side, but can be worn by women with attitude.

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

A staple in my collection , cheap but goodie Avon did well with this one but I do not smell the oak moss any more like a older bottle I had or well new regulations

suzycurlyq
suzycurlyq

Oh my goodness! This is such a wonderful scent. Warm inviting and just plain good! Avon does men's fragrances the best!! So perfectly perfect! I gave this to my son and he loves it!!!

sygrid29
sygrid29

just got a 10ml bottle of black suede while purchasing another bottle of far away gold. well, it wasn't as masculine as i thought. it's a lot more feminine in vibe than charlie blue. upon sniffing by the bottle, it's very aldehydic strongly reminds me of chanel no. 5. trust me a woman can easily wear it!

Labaloo
Labaloo

I can't say I agree with the listed notes. I'm smelling an ultra-dry, powdery fougere with a base of oakmoss, orris, tonka, musk, and a wee little-bitty bit of patchouli and labdanum that warms up the fern-accord and pulls it toward an oriental (chypre, to be precise). Lavender, rose, carnation, and soapy-aldehyde heart; bergamot top. I'm smelling the nutmeg now- how intriguing it is here, adding an unexpected bitter counterpoint. I would call this composition an oriental-fougere- but unlike most in this category, this is quite light! And rather than smelling of leather, it seems instead to be trying to emulate the *texture* of suede... and I think it's done beautifully. Quite unique. Well worth seeking out the vintage which uses raw oakmoss absolute.

Ravisto
Ravisto

I am not a fan of musky or powdery fragrances and that is exactly what Black Suede is.

It is not a bad scent at all though and decent sillage and longevity makes this a perfectly acceptable fragrance. I wear this at the office during the colder months if I want a change.

This one is for the cold seasons.
Scent : 10/20
Longevity : 6/10
Projection : 6/10

Total : 6/10 ... If sweet, musky or powdery is your thing give this a try.

aidenthorney
aidenthorney

It's a bit too powdery for my liking. Very strong and mature fragrance. I'd recommend this for an older guy in colder weather.

IntentOnScent
IntentOnScent

Oh wow! they do still make it. A lifetime ago I used to sell avon. In my opinion every fragrance bar one they made was just embarrassing. Black Suede. I was tempted every time I sold a bottle to get one for myself, not because I thought it was feminine but just because it was so arousing to me. *Blushes* A few years later, I met a guy who actually wore it and was in heaven ..for a time with him lol. Very memorable scent, instant emotion evoking smell in a mystifying way when I smell it, even before it had any history with me. This stuff has pull like some huge gravitational field.. and not because it sucks, in my opinion, its the only frag they made so far that doesn't suck.
Wear it in the heat if u want, that's when I first smelt it on a guy.. the height of an Australian summer, but be ready for the attention. Heavy hand not needed. Its the kind of scent that will definatley leave memory asosiations and im positive after all these years I will still recognise it instantly.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

Mmm..., very powdery. That was my first thought.

Musky and spicy, but still very powdery.

You really can detect the spiciness of nutmeg behind all that musk, but it is still veeery powdery.

I applied it to bed and it was comfortable. It lasted long, very long. I woke up 10 hours later and it was there: intact. And veeery powdery. LOL.

Black suede is a lovely old-school fragrance; manly and gallantly 70's/80's fashioned, made for gentlemen - those who know the meaning of chivalry and what is stands for.

Tremere
Tremere

A spicy, powerhouse take on Pinaud Clubman opening with an amped up Old Spice vibe. Old school, unironic masculinity in a bottle and, needless to say, very good value for money.

rottannie
rottannie

I find some similarity between this and Estee Lauder's Knowing. Black Suede may be slightly sweeter, but both have that gorgeous earthy quality. I like it.

jaro

My all time favourite cologne. I've been wearing it since 1981 and can't tire of it. There is simply nothing like it in the world of men's perfumes. It is immediately recognizable, sweet but woody, oriental yet fresh, powdery but masculine...in fact fairly hard to define. Its sillage is excellent. Sprayed on a scarf, it lasts for days and days. To sum up : I love Black Suede and will go on loving it till Avon decides to discontinue it. Though I hope they never will...

Errol the Flynn
Errol the Flynn

In a Friday night alcohol induced ebay search I came across someone selling Avon aftershaves. Avon?!!,,,,I ask you....How many beers had I drunk? Anyway after web jumping from ebay to review sites and reading the different reviews I chose Black suede. There seemed to be a majority vote and thumbs up to what appeared to be a soapy sexy fragrance that appealed to the ladies. Those three words..soapy....sexy....ladies...that clinched the deal and paypal was activated. The next morning was spent dealing with a hangover and coming to terms with the stark reality that I had bought an Avon fragrance. What had I become? As a fragrance snob with a cabinet full of Dior, penhaligon and floris products to name but a few I was expecting a fragrance to make me literally cut out the middle man and toss it straight in the bin unopened when it arrived and put the whole sorry purchase down to experience and cut down on drinking....well drinking whilst viewing ebay as a start!
Anyway when the package arrived.....curiosity got the better of me and I scurried off out of the site of my flat mates.....(perish the thought they would find out that I had had a secret visit from the Avon lady)
Well what can I say. Yes the bottle is a little cheap looking and yes it is Avon...but the juice inside is simply wonderful. My beer goggles had actually come up trumps. The fragrance smells expensive, elegant and woody with a baby powder dry down that makes you feel fresh and clean if not a little extravagant. The other morning I put on a crisp White Hackett shirt and blue jeans and gave the old black suede it's outdoors debut and travelled down into town feeling like George Clooney's better looking younger Brother. Even on my first port of call at the coffee shop a lady behind me in the queue tapped me on the shoulder and said I smelt nice. Bingo!! Ok she might have been a pensioner but all compliments are gratefully excepted. Anyway this fragrance was a complete surprise and all credit goes to Avon for a brilliant aftershave that smells like a top of the range cologne for what is literally buttons. Highly recommended.

Virgoan-hunk
Virgoan-hunk

Black Suede- I first Bought this Fragrance over 7 Years ago, was almost one of my first fragrances I bought to use strictly for work.
I have to defend this fragrance by saying that though I don't have this Cologne anymore I actually miss it... Yes I am admitting it, this Powdery, velvet like aroma of woods, amber, musk and spices is addictive.
When I owned it (I had about 3 bottles of this juice) I used it everyday to work and sometimes on cold winter days while going to visit friends and never did I hear someone say I smelt, Old, Musty or terrible.
In fact it garnered a lot of compliments and many of my female co-workers who smelt if off me ordered it for their partners, and the main thing I always heard is that it smells really kind, gentle and the type of fragrance to cuddle with.
This may not be a top designer fragrance, nor a Niche line product, but Avon has some Amazing fragrances that they sell, and some not so good, but I feel a lot of people Moan about these Frags as it is cheaply priced.
But I have smelt some niche perfumes, and even designer colognes and some Cheap colognes can give them a run for their money, it may not have a Top Brand Label and cost an hefty price tag but their scents are nothing short of quality and sense.
Black Suede is one such scent, It may not exactly be the Messiah of the fragrance world, but its worthy of being in a Guys wardrobe, and when the Ladies seem to really gravitate towards you when using this then that's gotta mean something.
Black Suede lasts 7 to 8 hours on me, and it really projects well so 5 sprays of this Powdered spice amber juice on a Cold Day or night and you will be set, get warm, fuzzy and cuddle with Your baby coz black suede is enough to make her not let go.
8 out of 10.
I am actually contemplating buying another bottle, maybe 2 just to spray and relax in its spicy, powder cloud.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Ummmm, synthetic. Initial spray is a powder mixed with something else like a liquor or something like that. Don't like it.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Meh. A starter fragrance for a teen, perhaps. Nice but not very interesting. Sort of the olfactory equivalent of a mid 1970's Paul McCartney song. I wouldn't want to smell this on myself all day any more than I'd want to hear "Let 'em in" over and over again.

Avon's knocking at the door/Avon's ringing the bell...

My wife likes it.

Happeniz
Happeniz

A pretty good air freshener for your car. Given that you drive something like myself, a 10 year old banged up Corsa. If it was made out of better ingredients then I'd be happy to wear it myself.

Msanders7
Msanders7

This was one of my Dad's scents. Mind you, he was born in '29. I like it, most likely because it brings back memories, but I used to wear it occasionally.

Beth1218
Beth1218

I like it. It's very sexy. It's my favorite Avon fragrance for men.

pablOSO
pablOSO

I have no idea how Avon product can be different from one country to another.

i live in Mexico , but near the border with the US , so for me is easy to order from the mexican and the us avon catalogs.. i remember buying the american set of this fragance a long time ago , and the cologne was so strong , and yes very very powdery , so powdery that it turned sour on my skin.

i ended up giving it away..

but then i ordered a cologne from the mexican catalog , and the cologne was tamer , smother , less longevity , but still was less in your face than the american version...

anyway , i like it , but i will continue buying the mexican one , cuz is less loud than the american version..

I recently acquired a bottle from the 80s and did a dab sampling. It's highly blended so detecting notes clearly isn't easy. It's not that musky, a little sweet, and a little powdery. There is a clear animalic element and those seeking a milder Kouros could give this a try. If there is any suede it is the underlying texture. I don't get any strong wood but there seems to be a bit of spice and citrus. It's pleasant and natural smelling if you don't mind its overall "old school" quality. I have never tried a bottle from recent years so for all I know it is different.

UPDATE: Regular wearing today. What strikes me now is how spicy it is, but I'm not getting much if any leather (though at first I thought I detected some, so it may be only in the top notes). It's a little sweet/vanillic and a little powdery, with a hint of something animalic. Otherwise the spices are the star of this show. Clearly it's more for cooler weather and not one that is likely to please the youngsters. However, it nicely balanced and has no "rough edges." Nor is it like the super musky "drug store colognes" of the old days. If you hate the usual strong lavender in "men's" scents you don't have to worry because that's absent here. I don't see why a woman who likes the notes here would consider it too "masculine," other than mild woodiness. I could imagine a niche company marketing this as unisex; it's rather simple but natural smelling.

gazelle
gazelle

I find it very easy to tolerate Black Suede in autumn and winter. This could be unisex. The very first notes reminded of woodsy Canon which I'd bought my husband in the 70's. Black Suede is spicy and musky to me. And then, oakmoss. I love oakmoss creations. This is one cologne I'll snuggle up to on my hubby's neck.

mamta173
mamta173

Bought it for my husband and was disappointed....it smelled like someone lit an incense stick right under my nose. was expecting much out of this one.

ertep
ertep

This reminds me of an old castle (in a good way), it's perfect to wear at a night walk in a park. Good job AVON.

shamus1
shamus1

Black Suede is a take on the Zizanie/Dunhill For Men (1934) type of old style men's cologne, but is actually better than either of them. It's a warm, spicy and very powdery oriental that balances everything perfectly. When I wear this, I feel complete, and totally "put together". This sense of perfect balance is why BS is better than either Zizanie or the Dunhill, even though I do enjoy those two old wardogs.

This is VERY old-school, so if this isn't your style, beware! It starts off very spicy and powdery, with a lot of nutmeg, clove and the smell of talc. It dries down beautifully to a perfect amber, powder and musk base. It really is a perfect fragrance, IF you like that old guard style. I do, and I love Black Suede.

MY RATING: 9/10

sanicojo
sanicojo

Me gusta usarlo despues de un buen baño, es un olor limpio. Lo comparo con Zizanie. Great

Winter Peyroux
Winter Peyroux

Pretty typical "masculine" cologne; smells like something somebody's grandfather used to wear. I (a young-ish woman) usually receive compliments when I wear it. I'll probably use it until it runs out, but I have no interest in getting another bottle (the one I currently have was a gift).

hitchie
hitchie

The only masculine perfume I ever wore: tart and warm. I liked it in combination with feminine clothes.
Very good!

pob75
pob75

I'm probably not objective about this as it brings back lots of childhood memories.

This is masculine, but not in a hit you in the face and growl sort of way. It's also quite old school but not in an overpowering musky way. It is quite linear, simple and powdery. Not particularly sophisticated.
BUT it smells really clean, warm and gently spiced.

If Johnsons' made "Baby Powder for Men" I think it would smell like this. Homely, comforting and cuddly/snuggly (as many below have said). My girlfriend says it smells like one of her bath oils (in a good way).

It projects well (9+ hours) and has good longevity (easily 15+hours and can still just about smell it the next day).

For the price I think this is great, but my opinion is certainly coloured by some fond memories.

Guest_Kharnak
Guest_Kharnak

This is a unique fragrance, quite snuggly. It's clean musky powdery Oriental leathery. Some might say soapy. Like the name says, Suede. Dries down to a wonderful sweet but not too sweet spicy mustiness, Anise, Cinnamon. Like a fabric. After a while it leaves behind a lingering and lasting Amber. A Bargain, and totally worth it. I just can't stop sniffing my arm! it's delicious. Definitely good for late night Cuddling. It matches well with my own body smells. I'm so happy i found this.

Update: 24 hours later, it still has a cozy sweetness on my skin. This is a new Favorite! The previous review is right.. it's very Masculine, but doesn't shout it like the Hard-hitters like Kouros and Lapidus.
Winter Update: just got the 100mL, and Wow does it project! Especially clean and smooth in cold air. This makes one feel wonderfully cheerful and confident.

juan carlos.henriquez
juan carlos.henriquez

esta fue mi primera fragancia, hase unos 15 años q la use, tan suave t cremoso olor, me encantaba en esos momentos, pero no para usarla ahora.

bobkat
bobkat

Just got a sample of this and was dying to try it...it doesn't disappoint! It is warm and woody, slightly green with a slightly musky, powdery finish. I would definately love to wear this myself...it's not one of those overwhelmingly in your face masculine scents...just one of those that one sniff is never enough, you want to smell it more and more! It smells clean, innoffensive, warm and comforting...something you can squirt on before going to bed and it won't assault your nostrils or give you a headache...just lull you gently to sleep!
This is not a testosterone fuelled MAN fragrance...it's more the man that is comfortable with himself, knows his attractiveness and doesn't need to shout about it!
And the Avon price is just a total bonus......

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

J'adoooore !!!!
La première fois que je l'ai mis mon mari m'as dit : il est sublime ton nouveau parfum.... Oops !!! C'était un parfum pour homme...

Poetikbliss
Poetikbliss

Smells like old cologne my Grand dad use to have (and which he hardly used, the bottle hung around for years). It smells ok but too old skool and too musky for me. 5/10

alicerombi
alicerombi

Well I love It also for women! It's not so stong and I feel It very powdry and musky...I also feel the leather but...there is none inside...Sillage is very good.

instantjim

I finally got an EDT of this fragrance from overseas. It is a really smooth blend, which exudes old school charm. Yes, it has a powdery feel to it, but so what?
I would choose it anyday over a modern generic citussy fragrance.

What comes across clearly in the EDT is a floral aspect, which is not shown in the notes. I smell the same aspect in Halston 1-12 and it is reminiscent of jasmine. The leatheriness is accompanied by a soapy accord which is similar to Cussons Imperial Leather (soap).

junior halston
junior halston

I can be a fragrance snob at times I will admit it and I don't see much good in Avon scents.

Yet I have to say that Black Suede is a well done classic by them. The blend of oakmoss and musk against suede/leather give it that rich powdery feel. It never announces it self but stays close to the skin. This scent could easly be worn by a woman.

RobbieX
RobbieX

Too powdery for me...it's a no no

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

Non. Nyet. No. Don't do it! You have been warned! Powdery mess! I would sooner DRINK a bottle of Avon Mesmerize.
ADDITION: Okay, so what it smells like...some of you might really like this. It smells very similar to Royal Copenhagen cologne, that tangy musk, with a distinct synthetic suede/leather note added. The powdery muskiness is totally overwhelming to my nose, but eventually, after many hours, this dries down to a nice sweet musky leather base. It has that barbershop quality to it with a little added kick of suede. To me, this is undesirable, but if you like Royal Copenhagen, then you might like this as well. The synthetic suede note is nice also...I just wish it wasn't buried in all that powder.

andrevarx
andrevarx

This EDT is powerful. Entry notes with citrus and spices, leather, middle notes of leather mixed with oakmoss, base notes of leather mixed with cloves.

It's a classic and powerful aroma, really distinctive smell of leather, not because it is classified as a oriental, is really a pure leather. An aroma that only looks good on a 45 and older, is too mature for young men. Is present and gives neatness, however, not meant for something more than everyday use. For those who like the smell of pure leather, this is the choice. Good length on the skin.

guest_guest-perfume
guest_guest-perfume

there's one fragrance missing, Black Suede Edt Leather.
did you heard about it?

naheed
naheed

I second missk by saying that Black Suede could easily be a unisex fragrance. It was a gift to my father back in the early 90s. He didn't like wearing it first and complained a couple of times whenever he wore it but later he started to like it.

I also liked wearing it and this has been my habit since childhood that I liked wearing colognes and perfumes from my father's fragrance wardrobe.

I remember BS as a spicy fragrance with the prominent notes of nutmeg accompnaied by the hint of cloves, musk and woodsy notes. The bottle wasn't so impressive though and looked like a cheap fragrance bottle but we must never judge a book by its cover. I would still like to have it in my perfume wardrobe as I really like its spiciness.

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

HIDEOUS! That is the best word I can use to describe Black Suede, My best friend loves it & says it works on him. I can not stand it from top to bottom!

jaro

Any man who loves to run the risk of walking on the elusive line between masculine and feminine should definitely adopt Avon Black Suede! I wear it since its appearance 30 years ago. This smooth, tender, almost 'velvety' scent, with its woody heart and powdery basis has very few rivals, except perhaps Chanel Allure Homme or Versace L'Homme. A sensual fragrance that has stood the test of years...

Cologne Junkie72
Cologne Junkie72

Black Suede is a nice,smooth,masculine scent.Not too strong,and great for the price.Can be worn for formal,evening,or with black clothing,and a leather jacket.Or for casual use in my opinion.

I have been a tiny bit of a perfume snob, so I've often pushed aside many Avon fragrances thinking they were cheap and nasty. However, after receiving an Avon catalogue on my doorstep with some Avon perfume samples, I retract my previous comments.

Black Suede could easily be unisex in my opinion. It has a beautiful powdery-like quality that is rather classic in a sense and soothing.

For some reason I feel leather in this fragrance, but only a very slight hint of it. This fragrance is mostly musk, woodsy notes, sweet nutmeg and clove.

The scent reminds me of crisp, white pressed shirts that my Father wore to work each day. It has a very clean and fresh feel that is lovely on both sexes.

On me, this fragrance is soft, powdery nutmeg and leather, however on a man's skin Black Suede is far more masculine and warmer. I agree that this does have an almost baby powder type smell, however I'm a big fan of scents like that and sometimes wished more men smelt like this.

A man wearing Black Suede would be a man that I could trust and feel comfortable around. It's not a scent meant to drive women wild, it's a comforting fragrance designed make a lady feel safe and secure around her man. I highly recommend.

bloodflower
bloodflower

i think it is an unoffensive scent for men, sophisticated and classy without the irritating citrus notes that i can't stand, i just gave it to my boyfriend and he totally loved this one, he said it smelled mystical to him, i think he even prefers it to dior homme (which i totally love).

dogwithnobrain
dogwithnobrain

Is impossible for my man, and I, to have a respectable night out if he is wearing this. Is a musky, warm smell, and I can't help but bury my nose in his neck to inhale the scent. My husband isn't a scent wearer, but for night's out he will always put this on for me, which drives me to total distraction!

instantjim

This was a surprisingly pleasant fragrance. The musk is very evident as are the woody notes. The price is the best feature of this fragrance, which cannot be beaten. I wish a version stronger than aftershave was available in Australia - this would be event better.

Gukette
Gukette

i have to agree that this is musky and romantic. it doesn't smell like suede which was my first qualm lol, but instead it is a strong, heady wintertime scent for men. its unique which i appreciate.

MondeoGirl

I agree with Annette87, this fragrance is best worn during winter.

I love cuddling up to my husband when he wears this.

Annette87
Annette87

namt2 - Black Suede is possibly AVON'S best selling men's fragrance of all time. Unfortunately, I would not
recommend it for a tropical region. The scent is a little strong. It would be best for fall and winter.

namt2
namt2

can anyone tell me more about this blacksuede ? i'm in a tropical region so, is it too strong or not? and what season is good for?

MondeoGirl

Sexy, musky and romantic. You've just GOT to snuggle up to your bloke when he wears this frangrance. Irresistable.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Black Suede fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Avon Black Suede, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Suede by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Suede by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.