Designers » A » Chypre Floral « Groups

dislike

leather
smoky
Occur! Avon for women Pictures

Occur! by Avon is a Chypre Floral fragrance for women. Occur! was launched in 1963. Top notes are gardenia, cardamom, coriander, bergamot and aldehydes; middle notes are vetyver, carnation, jasmine, patchouli, styrax, myrhh, rose and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are musk, oakmoss, amber, vanille, castoreum, civetta, coconut, leather and white honey.

Gardenia Cardamom Coriander Bergamot Aldehydes

Golden Dynastie

Occur! Fragrance Reviews

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

Oh my gosh! I got a small vintage sample to try-what a powerhouse. So, so different from today's Avon. Leather, animal, incense, smokey, heat. The opening blast of animal is just a tiny touch away from skank. Sweetness and richness from the honey, slightly spicy from the carnation. A lovely boozy amber dry down that lasts and lasts. It reminds me a little of Miss Dior. Feminine, but not at all ladylike!

emt1986
emt1986

I bought a 30ml baby owl bottle of Occur! cologne on the Bay for a song. It looks to be from some time in the 70's. Wow, what a lovely scent! I can't help but smile when I sniff myself. It reads almost like a chypre version of Joy, just really gorgeous. The just-prominent-enough honey sweetening up the oakmoss and animalic stank is wonderful. And yes! That's a hint of coconut in the drydown. Coconutty leather... bless whomever thought up that one, because it's odd and genius. These vintage Avons are true treasures... there just aren't compositions like this anymore in the mass market, and to think how affordable Avon has always been, the bang that you used to be able to get with your buck in the world of fragrance, experienced now only by those of us who know to hunt them down.

ptilda
ptilda

I managed to stumble upon a perfume oil bottle and later a cologne concentration bottle of Occur! What a great classic this is. I decided to wear each on a different hand and report my findings.

The oil opened with immediate Avon "O.L." essence...if you follow. The cologne went to bright citrus and aldehydes. It's sort of as if they danced around each other for a bit before settling into more or less the same scent.

To my nose, the oil is definitely the skankier of the two (so naturally my favorite), while the cologne is lighter and almost a floral aldehyde of more modern style.

Because of the intensity of the oil (I applied essentially the same amount of each), I had to clear my nose with a half dozen deep breaths and put the hand with the oil behind my back before being able to really distinguish the notes in the cologne.

Once I did get that whiff, it was heavenly! Powdery, floral, sweet but not sugary, and leathery (yep, I'm sold!) This is elegant class in a bottle.

But of course the oil remains. She is much stronger and more "perfumy" with a strong oakmoss note and the gorgeous civet. The oil is not what I would Call elegant class. The oil is confident, sexy, and just a little bit bitchy, but she has enough class to hold her tongue... If she wants.

It's the silage that really separates the two. From the tiny half dime size daub I made of each, the cologne gently wafts to my nose while I'm typing this on my phone. But the oil? Same amount and to keep her from overpowering her more reserved sister, I have to keep her behind my back.

So what do I prefer? MORE! haha

I only regret that I have two small bottles, and hope I might find a larger bottle... Maybe a spray, but only of the cologne.

The absolute truth is, this fragrance is every bit as classy and well made as Shalimar or My Sin. Did I really just write that? Durn tootin I did!

Please find this perfume. It is heaven scent (see what I did there?) and you will barely need any of the oil to keep you wafting deliciousness all day.

The honey is the star of the show, but it only serves as a carrier for the other notes. It's not a honey scent in my opinion. It's a masterpiece.

And I'm off to eBay...

Kiku
Kiku

If any perfume house should relaunch it's classics it's Avon and let them start with Occur! Dry, woody, smokey it's autumn captured in a bottle. Most Avons make me think of tea parties and church socials but Occur! is a rarity in the Avon garden: full of animalic notes that just skirt nasty. The closest classic Avon to a skank perfume. But what makes Occur! epic, why it has such devoted fans, is it's liberal dose of honey. No other perfume has ever had such a luscious honey note. Warm, thick, and lazy it overwhelms the senses. Bring this one back!

Essy_C
Essy_C

I managed to find a vintage bottle on Ebay, it a good chypre woody perfume with a hint of gardenia and lily of the valley in the top notes.
I dont know how the modern version compares.

mybookhouse
mybookhouse

I bought several vintage small bottles of Avon colognes circa 1964 in a .5 ounce-style bottle that has a lucite topper with 4 "A"s off of Ebay hoping that age (made in the early 1960's) would equal higher quality. I wear lots of vintage Guerlain colognes from this era and have found them to be consistently good. These mini Avon colognes, unfortunately, have been really disapointing. I suspect the Avon cologne that comes in the containers for the individual line may be better quality/more potent - the black bottle with the rhinestone for Occur! for example.

Of the fragrances I bought, Occur! was actually one of the better ones . I put several drops on acid-free paper and let it dry and definitely smelled the honey in woody musky blend. Would love to smell a better quality version.

The most I have been able to do with these colognes is get a feel for these old Avon lines. Rapture and Occur! are the two best fragrances of the bunch but I still am afraid to actually wear them because of all the off notes.

After this experience, I will probably not buy any more vintage Avon cologne. I did get a 1 ounce bottle of Elusive perfume off Ebay for under $20.00 that appears wearable. I also got a super tiny "dram" bottle of Elusive perfume from the mid-70s for around $6.00. The dram size perfume is pretty lousy quality-wise. Not as bad as the 1964 bottles of cologne but way lower quality than the full size ounce of perfume. I have noticed that Rapture smells similar to Mitsouko and Elusive bears a strong likeness to Youth Dew. I have ordered a little bit of Bal a Versailles based on Parfumee's review, which says Occur! was a low-budget Bal. Hope to get the good stuff that used to be in Occur! without the off notes. There is a great vintage bottle of the actual Occur! perfume in a French crystal bottle on Ebay at the moment but the price is over $100.00!

Update: Wearing the old 1964 cologne and boy is it good! Occur! is an amazing fragrance, one of the best American fragrances I have ever tried. I love chypres and woodsy stuff. Avon really hit this one out of the park. I LOVE(D) the original 1980's Obsession pure perfume and Occur! cologne smells just as good to me. I tried the Bal a Versailles and it is also great but Occur! to me is just as good. You really have to take a chance and put the cologne on to see what it smells like.

Parfumee
Parfumee

OCCUR!

AVON

GROUP: MUSK

NOTES: GARDENIA CARDAMOM CORIANDER BERGAMOT ALDEHYDES VETIVER CARNATION JASMINE PATCHOULI STYRAX MYRRH ROSE LILY OF THE VALLEY MUSK OAK MOSS VANILLA AMBER CASTOREUM CIVET COCONUT LEATHER HONEY

SILLAGE: HEAVY RADIATES WITHIN 6 FEET

LONGEVITY: VERY LONG LASTING 7-12 HOURS

REMINDS ME OF: BANDIT PIGUET BAL A VERSAILLES JEAN DESPREZ LA NUIT PACO RABANNE PASSION ELIZABETH TAYLOR SALOME PAPILLON ARTISAN

Occur by Avon was following closely behind the footsteps of Jean Desprez Bal A Versailles. Because that fragrance was incredibly expensive and regarded as being "haute couture" especially when it became known that even First Lady Jackie Kennedy wore it, one can argue that Occur was the more "affordable" Bal for the average housewife. This was a time when Avon perfumes were gorgeous, well-composed perfumes in artistically designed bottles. They came in all shapes and sizes: birds, turtles, cherubs, snails. My mother collected many of them and I fell heir to these fragrances which still have some content.

Occur is an Oriental musk. For me it's much better than Bal because it has more going on. At the first spritz of Occur, a sweet ginger cardamom mingles with the aldehydes. There is a sweet and spicy scent at the beginning. Coriander and spices. A hint of coconut, but more like coconut oil. Then the fragrance develops into it's floral heart. While not especially flowery, the scent of carnation, jasmine and lily of the valley are noticeable. It's more a lily of the valley, green, herbal, and like flowers in a forest. These are not flowers in a bouquet but more akin to wild flowers. It evokes a forest. You're walking into the woods and surrounded by the natural smells of woods and flowers. Carnations seem green here, and if there was such thing as a green rose, this is what it would smell like. And the jasmine is a night blooming jasmine, fragrant, bewitching, alluring.

Before you can call it a floral, the scent progresses into woods. There's oak moss in spades. It reminds me of all the classic chypres with mossy tones namely Bandit by Piguet. This is a nocturnal animal in the forest. It is as much an animalic fragrance as it is a mossy scent. The castoreum and civet scents abound and if you have worn furry creature scents like Salome Papillon Artisan you will get a kick out of this one. It also wears like a fragrant fur coat. Luxurious, leathery, and very respectable, like a woman dressing up in perfume because she can't afford expensive Chanel suits. There's really more to enjoy and admire here: patchouli leaves, tobacco, incense, balsam, myrrh, honey and styrax. All these notes are heavy hitters. For me the honey and myrrh give it an Arabic Middle Eastern type of mood. It smells like a Persian woman, but that's not a bad thing!

I love this fragrance and wear it to the opera, to formal evening galas. This is a lush fragrance bomb. It is so intoxicating that I do want to bathe myself in it but it's best to apply with a light touch so that you won't offend anyone's noses while sitting next to them. It is theatrical, mysterious, and evocative of all the great Orientals that would come later. I'm talking about Yves Saint Laurent Opium and Krizia Teatro Alla Scala as well as Coco Eau de Parfum Chanel. The honey is pure beeswax, the myrrh is straight ouf a Muslim mosque and the civet is real. This fragrance packs a punch.

Highly recommended for fans of musk, Orientals and the notes which are listed here which stand out and you're not afraid of them: patchouli, leather, civet, castoreum, myrrh, styrax, and musk galore.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I admit, I've been a perfume snob and Avon was always avoided and snubbed. I got a vintage 1970s perfume mini and am astonished at the quality. And reading the ingredients list, well, who knew? It's not cheap and it stands the test of time for Big Girl Perfumes. No fruit or candy, just big, rich, real perfume smell. Old Black and White movie kind of glamour. Fits right in an old fashioned bar with cigarettes and bourbon. I think a man can wear it also.It smells 1940s to me. In a good way. Would be good in the winter.

Miss Precious Orchid
Miss Precious Orchid

Sleeping Beauty of a scent,! I love oakmoss ,civet, castoreum ;any of these big NO NO notes not particularly favored in todays' mainstream perfumery. So I had high hopes for this fragrance and was not disappointed. It starts off typically what you would expect from bygone era 'vintage' perfumes a little harsh slightly bitter, powdery; then right away my nose picks out the civet and oakmoss. It's so deceiving in that you think it's tame but latter as it warms on the skin like an animal it starts to purr. Then it it's full glory growls at you. Succintly you have unleashed a giant of unbridled sensuality in a daring pose.
Edit: Sensational! Give me more! Goes straight to my top 5 favorite fragrances.

gtabasso
gtabasso

I loathe chypres but this is a chypre haters chypre. On me, it goes on tobacco. I just get huge tobacco and some musky animal then it fades very fast. Then, it rises from the dead and goes on and on. Ohhhh. I get civet and musk on this dry down similar to but not quite as complex as Habanita or Enslaved. This is lovely.

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

You certainly do not see a set of notes like this in modern perfumes. This is a potent mixture, it speaks to the subconscious of wild animal sexuality, while outwardly appearing to be for respectable ladies and humble housewives. This is an undercover dirty, musky, raunchy sex bomb of a fragrance. This is the polar opposite of popular current scents like Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker.

grayspoole
grayspoole

Occur! is one of the most popular vintage Avon scents. Check out the excellent reviews by Sumo Tiger Cat, Kmarich, Gypsyperfumista below. Vintage Occur! fully lives up to its original black bottle and unusual, slightly forbidding name and punctuation mark (!). The varying opinions of Occur! probably reflect differences among formulations, dates of bottles sampled, and their states of preservation. In my view, vintage Occur! is a beautiful and warmly animalic chypre, reminiscent of vintage Miss Dior, without some of the complexity and the galbanum top. It is not at all aldehydic or leathery to my nose.

Occur! is so worth having, and there are so many vintage bottles around, that if you are interested in it, it's best to shop around to get a really good example. Vintage Avon colognes are quite potent, but you can also find Occur! in a vintage parfum concentration in pretty one dram bottles. Occur was reissued by Avon in the 1980's in various retro bottles, and the scent in these appears to be different, so look for the true vintage bottles from the 60's or 70's, A half full poodle decanter that has been steaming on a bathroom shelf for decades will not give a fair representation of this vintage perfume. Bottles of Occur! that Meemaw, perhaps scandalized by its seductive fumes, put away in the closet still in the box, never to be worn, are a much better bet.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Let Your Fragrance Occur!

Avon's Occur was created when perfume was REAL. I remember smelling this on one of my mother's girl friends who was a cleaning lady and who later became an Avon sales woman. Occur was my "I hate that smell because I don't like the woman who wears it" kind of a fragrance. But that's because I adored my mother and even her girl friends were weird to me. But now I have come across this fragrance through ebay and I am loving it. No soft baby powder or body mist. This is not the synthetic fruity floral mess that the newer Avons turned into. This wears like one of the classic unisex masterpieces: Opium by Yves Saint Laurent, Magie Noire by Lancome, Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia, Charlie by Revlon, Passion by Elizabeth Taylor and to a degree even resembles Chanel's Coco Eau de Parfum vintage original and Dior's Poison. I would say that this fragrance and Avon's Odyssey as well as Timeless are in the same family and their Avon's version of an ORIENTAL The composition is magnificent. A lot of notes and richly layered with: gardenia, cardamom, coriander, bergamot, aldehydes, vetyver, carnation, jasmine, patchouli, styrax, myrhh, rose and lily-of-the-valley; musk, oakmoss, amber, vanille, castoreum, civet, coconut, leather and honey. To my nose the opening notes are big with aldehydes as with most clsssic Avons. Then it settles into patchouli. This is a big patchouli frag like the patchouli in Opium. I can smell some incense but it's not very strong as it's just fragrant myrhh. There are very few flowers whose scent waft up briefly: rose and jasmine. You also get plenty of coconut and some vanilla which make it very sweet and a gourmand type of scent but it's not too heavy and it's balanced with the aimalic accords. You won't find that type of perfect balance in today's fragrances which are pure gourmands. What you get in the end towards the dry down is the reality that this is a CHYPRE and it's very woodsy. The oak moss and amber support the fragrance. And over that, crushing the flowers are the animals: the civet and castoreum notes. It's like you were in a forest walking around thinking wow what beautiful flowers and plants. But then out come the animals the civet and the beaver, in herds and family units, in a stampede and their smell overpowers even the smell of the flowers. It's got a real sting to it. But it's incredible, dynamic, like something is actually OCCURING on your skin, like a furry little creature has made his home inside your skin. I find it interesting that the aldehyde-animalic combination can even be compared to Chanel No. 5 Eau de Cologne. It can also resemble the old vintage formula of Jean Desprez Bal A Versailles and that would make sense since this fragrance came out around the same time as Bal. This has a classic formula that belongs to the Golden Age of Perfume. It's a dark, mysterious evening fragrance which becomes musky and leathery and elegant, and has to be worn by evening wear like evening gowns, coats, hats, gloves, and boots. It wears more like a winter fashion fragrance. It's warmed up by honey. I love this kind of perfume to mix things up as a change from softer florals. If you like animalic musky fragrances this is totally for you. If you are exploring unisex fragrances, this is for you. And it's a classic from Avon from the 60's which today is not bein worn by the majority so you'll definitely stand out and get noticed. I would not wear this as a signature scent every day. This is a special occasion perfume, a celebration dinner, a romantic night out, or even Halloween costume party. It's not for everyone but it definitely has it's allure and it's power.

Marie69
Marie69

Testing this evening, a lay down vintage (1970´s), 1 Dram of perfume. I am very surprized by this. Testing a few vintage Avon perfumes now and I am pretty impressed. Occur is dry. It has a Chanel No 5 type of powder quality but softer. There are some floral notes, but nothing sweet, benzoin and a little pathchouli also. I really really like this. I am now on the look out for the lay down bottles of Avon vintage.

gazelle
gazelle

One generous tester spritz from vintage bottle and I was transported to 1964 when leaving my teens and making my way into adulthood. I didn't know anything about perfume notes in those days, just that I loved "those" certain perfumes with "those" certain notes, years later identified on Frangrantica as moss and civet. I still love moss and civet, leather,spices, and resins (myrrh). But I leave the, IMO, erotic (see SISSI's review), sexy civet scents for the young to wear openly. I prefer to wear vintage civet in private.

Ambergris Intoxication
Ambergris Intoxication

Vintage 70's from a rep sampler.

This went from "Oh dear god in heaven!" to "Oh my god this is heaven!" in 3 minutes flat! The aldahydes were so sharp that they nearly cut my nose clean off. I was thinking dang and it smelled so nice in the bottle! I was just about to go screaming in to the night when it quite suddenly morphed into the strong animolic chypre I've been trying to find for a long time! You know without going that expensive niche route! Yay!

Oh that castoreum is so strong at first it even puts the civet on the back shelf for a while but not forever! ;-) However one can not live off of stank alone and all the spices, resins and creamy white notes give this a certain oriental feel to me. Yes, no? The leather comes later to the party unlike... Shalimar but again this is so not Shalimar! Shalimar is a high class all put together trist with an older man and Occur! is an orgy! Avon should have called this Happening! or Love-In! Speaking of love I love this! So this is comming straght out of the bin and in to my favs!

Update:

I tried a bottle from the 80's and the animolics are gone! That was REAL castoreum in the 60's and 70's! I should know I have a wonderful tincture of castoreum complements of a friend.

Update again:

I've obtained another vintage bottle of Occur! from the early 70's and it's shaped like a Butter Churn. Weird! This one is apparently the freshest (vintage) bottle I've found yet. The aldehydes are way gentler and the animolics are still huge but better balanced. Everything else is the same. Occur! is still one of my new (old) favorites! However it would seem Occur! has a hard time aging but I don't care! I love it!

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

This admitted vintage/niche lover can hardly believe that she's placed Avon Occur! on her "favorites" shelf here on Fragrantica. I mean, seriously.... an old Avon? Yep.

Muscs Kublai Khan,Bal a Versailles, and Shocking have nothing on Avon Occur! MKK is prettier, softer, more floral. BaV is more powdery, sweeter, more opulent. Shocking is way more honey. They all share that certain deep growling voice, impossible to resist.

Occur! has beautiful Myrrh in it. I do believe the old versions have real civet and castoreum. All the notes here are splendid, not a whiff of anything synthetic around. To my mind, this is Avon's pinnacle of success. The Oakmoss and Patchouli are not very prominent in my bottle. That is o.k. they need not be. I do get some underlying creamy Gardenia and Coconut. Everything here plays together nicely.

If you love niche animalics, do your wallet a big favor and find yourself a nice old bottle of Occur! You can thank me later. ;)

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

This review is of a bottle that dates back to the late 1960s or early 1970s.

OCCUR! opens with loud, soapy aldehydes and a deep feral growl. After the initial aldehyde burst, a lovely white floral mix comes into play. The contrast between the clean and soapy florals with aldehydes and the dirty oakmoss, castoreum with musk is riveting. There is also a completely beautiful spice waiting just under the surface. The spice mix is comprised of Coriander, peppery carnation and cardamom.

When the heart really opens up, a whole new dimension is presented. There is smoky Myrrh and a rich, dark, honey. There is nothing sticky sweet about this honey. It’s decadent and very complex. The Myrrh and honey pair wonderfully with a newly emerged bright floral zing comprised of rose and gardenia. There is also a dry (not sweet), fleshy, and freshly cracked coconut. This coconut adds a certain something that takes this composition from beautiful to amazing. All the incense, florals, and coconut blend perfectly and harmoniously with the castoreum and oakmoss. I want to breath it all in deeply and fully.

The dry down is animalistic and heavy with musk and castoreum. There is still that floral zing sitting on top of the feral elements as well. It’s very beautiful and difficult to describe. This classic “cologne spray” lasts about five hours before it becomes a skin scent and it clings magically to the skin until about nine hours. There is such classic beauty here that it is impossible to deny the mastery of art that went into making this composition. It’s constructed very well and wears beautifully. It’s on my short list of vintage greats.

Heavensent3
Heavensent3

back in England in the 60's my darling Mother loved this! me too!

elsie.oliveros
elsie.oliveros

To my great surprise, Occur does remind me of Shocking Schiaparelli. Wow! I bought a small bottle on Ebay just to try and compare, and, yes, I see the similarity between this Avon fragrance and Shocking. The old formula Shocking, that is, not the reformulation that came out in the 90s (which, by the way, I also love. It has the best honey note in the universe).
Sometimes two fragrances have very similar notes, and yet they don't smell the same. Not in this case...the civet, the aldehydes, the honey, etc. I wonder if the Avon people just said: "Let's try to copy this classic". If so, they did a pretty good job. I mean, the original Shocking is still superior, but Occur comes pretty close for a fraction of the price.

EDIT. So I wore Occur today. Lots of it. Nose to wrist sillage. Longevity, on my skin: 2 hours or so. Vintage Shocking has huge sillage and lasts hours and hours. But I still enjoy Occur, and, for that price, I might get some more to alternate with Shocking. I'm glad I did the comparison.

t4x3
t4x3

Sadly, my little 15ml vintage bottle of Occur! has lost its top notes with no aldehydes to speak of. But, what is left smells divine and enough like what I remember my mom wearing in the 1970s to do the trick.

Much tamer than I expected. It's like Bandit with honey. I personally don't find it all that animalic. I was hoping for a lot of castoreum, but I'm not really picking it up. Mostly moss, tarry leather, honey, carnation. As it dries down I smell the gardenia and coconut, though faintly. I think they more chill the whole thing out rather than adding a major fragrance presence.
Very much a chypre, but toward the warmer and softer side. Kind of a soft, suede-like drydown. Not so green, not so much bite.
I don't know how old my bottle is, but it's shaped like a poodle and the box design makes me think late 60's/early 70's.

zzMaja
zzMaja

This was my signature for a while when I was selling Avon back in the early 1990's - wow how time flies when you are having fun. This was a great scent for a night out on the town, wonderful parties and good times. It brings back pleasant memories. I have not worn it for ages, but it remains one of my favorites.

calyx93
calyx93

wow - i'm really impressed by this VERY affordable vintage frag - it puts many, many vintage and modern releases to shame in terms of harmony, quality, longevity, sillage and stability (over long storage periods).

wonderfully animalic and with enough florals, resins and rich base notes - including coconut - which, like jovan's mink and pearls, gives the whole composition a deeper, richer effect that completely underscores the rich castoreum accord and musk. gives it a warm solidity sorely missing from today's compositions.

the version i'm using is a very old small 1/4 oz. pure parfum - and i'm now certainly going to check out the other concentrations to see how they perform.

this is such an inexpensive scent, i urge you all (who are interested in civet and musks) to seek out this fragrance - so easy to find and quite a small investment to experience such a dynamic and rich perfume. will be reporting more after i've lived with this for a few days :)

nananessa
nananessa

If I had to venture a guess as to how many bottles of "Occur!" I have gone through in my lifetime it would probably be at least a dozen---seriously! At least a dozen! This one was my long-time chypre olfactory love affair's favorite from Avon. In looking back on it now that I am much older & reflect on my fragrance preferences throughout my life, this "on the cheap" Avon creation probably spawned my preference for the chypre group over any other.

The Avon campaign marketed Occur! as a very modern fragrance for the very modern woman. But in my estimation, it is probably Avon's best homage to the early days of the chypre genre & so eloquently done by the French. May I venture to dare say it is Avon's version of a fine French perfume for a pittance? For that is what it is in reality. And it brings to mind now a segment of classic film footage recently by the great Dame Maggie Smith playing her role of the Dowager Countess Grantham with her granddaughter, Edith, character of "Downton Abbey". They had previously negotiated Edith was to pick up a bottle of civet for her grandmother & upon presenting it to "Granny" in all her splendor, when Edith reports what the bottle cost the Granny exclaims incredulously, "What?! For a bottle of civet?!?" Since those bottles are now gone & not available, this is about the next-best thing for civet & chypre lovers like myself. I never tire of this fragrance & wish I could smell this wonderful all the time. This one reminds me to return to the truly good things & this is one of them.

GypsyParfumista brilliantly describes the unfolding of this complex gem for Avon & I could not expound any further as to the magic it unveils. I might add that it is somewhat of an almost "tuff-ladylike" in it's character in impression once the aldehydes have settled after opening brilliantly.

Now it seems like ebay is about the best place to find a bottle of this. It is not expensive & sells at practically a give-away. But if you relish the days of yester-years & strong, tuff, ladylike women that hid that toughness housed under the best of the kid leather gloves, then please try this one if you have yet to do so! Probably the best to come out of the house of Avon!

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

I remember this from the '60's. My mom had some splash on..EDC? It was a very intriguing, complex, chypre-ish,almost fruity,(not modern fruit..deeper)scent. I'm looking at the notes listed and trying to recall the scent from memory but it's a hard one to describe. I got a little roll-on on ebay and the topnotes are gone but after about 20min. it warms up on my skin and I like it quite a bit. It seemed modern for it's time. I'm enjoying it at Christmas-time ..seems just right for this time of year. EDIT..This is really too much..and I mean in a GOOD way when it dries down. My skin is dry and eats scent like crazy but this little perfume rollette lasts so long. I'm assuming it is perfume or EDP though many Avon's are colognes, don't know for sure. The base notes on me smell like honey tinged with coconut and a real musk. It's such a rich, sensual scent, very addictive. I fell asleep with some on my wrist and couldn't stop sniffing it..it was still lingering in the morning.

katrin1128
katrin1128

It was the '60's. My mother wore this when she went out and I loved the excitement it represented. One day when I was in the bathroom, I sprayed some on. She asked me if I did and I said No. She washed my mouth out with soap. I never wore it again. But I still love perfume. :)

MarillaV
MarillaV

Not my cup of tea, but I can see where its beauty lies for those who love it. This opens with strong aldehydes that are crisp and strong. Unfortunately for me, the civet roars to life almost immediately. I am still learning to appreciate this note and can only take it in well-balanced doses. This civet is pretty strong and those who love this note would be pleased. The civet is blended with strong florals. The dry down is pretty leathery, another challenging accord for me. It is definitely a powerhouse fragrance and will not appeal to everyone. But you have to give Avon kudos for being brave enough to put such a composition out there.

fullbottleworthy
fullbottleworthy

A very generous Fragrantican sent me a sample of this. I hadn't planned on reviewing it yet until I had adequate time to really experience it, but since I just spilled about a half a mL of it on my hand trying to get the tape off, I thought, why waste it? (Good thing I still have a couple mL's left!) So I decided to enjoy it (even though it's 11 pm at night!) and review what I smell so far, even though it has only been a few minutes. First of all, I am pretty sure THIS was the fragrance scenting the whole lot. (It could have been a combination of all of them though). It is so strong! At first sniff- pure civet and aldehydes! I love it! The aldehydes give it a very bright opening and the civet makes it very animalic, sexy, and warm. Is this real civet? I don't know but it's lovely. The scent definitely smells "vintage", as perfumes like this really aren't made much anymore. The oakmoss is nice as well, and I think there is a nice balance in the opening because although you can detect all these notes, there is nothing that seems overwhelming (well, relatively!), and the ratios are just right. I don't get much of the other notes (except a little spicy carnation or something), as the civet and aldehyedes (and I guess musk too) are so prominent. The scent is quite "mature", if you will, which I am realizing I really love in a scent, regardless of whether my hubby says I smell like a granny. (What does he know about perfume anyways?!)I am glad to see that Avon has some perfumes that are actually really nice! I will have to report back in a few hours (if I don't fall asleep before then!) and give an idea of the lasting power. Sillage though, is incredible! If course I do have a lot on, but you can tell it's a very strong scent. If you're not an Avon fan but you like this type of scent, I say reconsider and try Occur! because you might be surprised.

EDIT: It's been a few hours now and I have to say the perfume is VERY musky at this point. I'm not saying it's bad; just an observation. It's an animalic musk, a little earthy, somewhat powdery, quite rich. This is probably the most intense musk I have ever smelled. Wow! I didn't really get overwhelming musk at the beginning but now I see why it is rated second only to civet. At this point the aldehydes and the brightness have faded and I'm left with a lingering musk that won't quit! I think next time I wear it I will have to only use a little dab because man, this is sooo strong! They just don't make 'em like they used to... Whooo!

DeborahLeigh
DeborahLeigh

A favourite from my youth. I had a little cream pot of this perfume and adored it. My grandmother even had a occur scented statue of a lady from Avon. I so loved this lady, she smelled devine. Avon should bring back scented perfume statues, it was great on my grand-ma's bedroom dresser, very feminine.

This was a civet bomb on me. It smelled lovely in the bottle and I had high hopes. It opened up with a blend of florals, spices and aldehydes and I felt that the first few minutes were a lovely strong fragrance, vintage in appeal, classic and alluring. However, it changed, and as the moments wore on, the aldehydes fell flat, the flowers and spices faded away, and all that was left was the dreaded civet. I was so disappointed that such a lovely scent could turn against me like that. It smelled dirty and animalic to me, not appealing at all. My skin must magnify civet unfortunately. The only fragrance I ever smelled with more civet was also a vintage Avon - it was called Elusive and isnt' listed here. I never had the nerve to try Occur again.

EK
EK

Now what is this... Initially, upon first application, the aldehydes burst out and almost made my eyes water. Yet, very promising. This could turn out either great or a disaster.
Shortly after Occur! became very distinctively animalic. Not vulgar-animalic, more a distanced, "executive-type" of animalic. Something just under the professional surface. Later on it went to a mature, lady-like scent, not romantic, but quite sophisticated.
Then poof! it was all gone, over just a couple of hours. New application, same development.
Now to the interesting point: Late afternoon I applied for the 3rd time, persistant as I am. This time it behaved quite differently. A superfast leap from the aldehydes and bergamot to the animalic part - and now, a different type of animalic. Sweeter, more gentle, and without the predator-like impression from the 2 first applications. It also dried down much sweeter and more cashmere-kitten-purr-ish than before.
I'm not sure which of these developments I like the best. That must be depending on mood probably.
The only thing that disappointed me here is the longevity. In every other aspect a great perfume.

jjlm8
jjlm8

Loved the scent as a young person, but for some odd reason every time I wore it I got a massive headache. This was the case as well for my Mom and even my Aunt. Eventually I had to give up Avon fragrances and moved on to"Charlie" the other perfume of my younger years. I can't recall how "charlie" smelled but I can picture the actress "Shelley Hack" tossing her hat in the commercials! HA HA still makes me laugh.

galady5024
galady5024

I loved occur they took that away. Now they have taken softmusk away. I don't know what i will wear now.

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

I found a list online that says Avon replaced Occur! with "Candid." No way! Not the same scent at all. My friends and I wore Occur! in high school. It was very sophisticated and mysterious. Avon made the cream in the pots in the Occur! fragrance and it was amazing. I so wish they would bring this back. Occur was probably my first venture into chypre scents and I love them to this day....

Jomoves
Jomoves

I'll always associate this fragrance with the Avon lady who used to visit our house when I was was very little. She was so sweet to me and I was always so excited to flick through that catalog. Back then, Avon was really cheap and it was a huge thrill for me to use some of my pocket money to buy a cute decorative bottle of either this, Moonwind or Genesis. Of course, it was more the bottle that I was after and I would proudly display these on my dresser long after the fragrance was gone.

I think I'm lucky to have these memories as my first fragrance experiences. I feel a bit sorry for young girls today who all seem to be drowned in heavily marketed celebrity fragrances. I see nothing appealing about looking back when you are middle-aged and remembering your first perfume was something a disinterested Britney Spears was flogging at the time.

mystica
mystica

Occur is the first perfume I ever own, -and I was 12:).

Impossible for me to forget how it would smell... Creamy, really musky, deep, a little green, overpowering, and heady. (Indeed I applied it like crazy.)

It's longevity was fantastic, sillage pretty good.

I agree that this one was one of Avon's best fragrances.

I can't help myself but wonder if I would experience Occur any differently if I had the chance to try and wear it today as a woman. It's long lost...

krmarich
krmarich

This was Avons biggest, bravest and most complex fragrance to date. I say that because I am a chypre fan and have to admire this one on many levels.

First up, the price. It was very inexpensive around $2.99 for a bottle. Now it averages 10-20 bucks on E-bay. Its best to try the big black faux diamond bottle for its full strength.

It is a powerful chypre that can overwhelm the unintiated. Oakmoss, patcholi and vetiver dominates this almost sweet powerhouse from the 1960s. Carnation and jasmine peak out from the dusty chypre. The leather and coconut seduce. The longevity is 8 hours or more with oakmoss lingering the next morning..

The civet is somewhat raunchy, making it sexy and seductive. Avon backed down after this one. To produce something this big, it would be price be astronimical! However if you are brave enough, give it a try. Its unisex and nocturnal.

passionata20
passionata20

This one is tricky! I have a vintage 1,7 fl.oz cologne in a "equipage"-like shaped bottle i bought mostly because of the interesting bottle. Well, first time i have opened the bottle and sniffed "occur" i was scared off and dissapointed, that much strong chypre scent welcomed me out of the bottle. Then i sniffed it again and this time i got some interesting notes out of it. Still it was very harsh and strong chypre with a lot of oakmoss, vetyver and carnation. Smelled really like a men´s cologne a lot. Since i love carnation in perfums then i decided to apply it and i couldn´t believe my nose about that transformation than happened. Instantly upon application all the strong notes dissapeared and soft and sensuous honey and vanilla note along with rose and musk notes were dominant! I just kept asking where all the sharpness that scared me off the first time is gone? Yet, you can still detect some chypre notes amongst the sweet notes, they are not dominant and make a nice ensemble with all the other notes. So don´t judge it until you have apllied it! It stays close to your skin unless you go out in a windy outside and staying power is average, but since it is a cologne i have i don´t have big expectations. A Very nice addition to my collection. :)

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

One of the Avon classics which I hope they never discontinue - like they did "Moonwind" and the lovely "Hana Gasa."

masmiley
masmiley

I wore this from the time I was a teenager until it was discontinued. My husband was stationed overseas at the time and all sources had dried up by the time we returned stateside.

It is still the most exotic fragrance I have worn. I had two younger sisters and they were always getting in my things but they left this alone -- I was the only one who could wear it in our family..I suppose my body chemistry was compatible.

Last year I tried getting some vintage specimens off ebay without success. The ones at the time were way past their prime and smelled more like your average run of the mill stale cheap cologne.

I would so love it if Avon would resurrect this fragrance!

not a favorite of mine. super strong, sweet and spicy at the same time. i'm not a big fan of gardenia so that may be some of the reason i don't care for this all that much. it does last on the skin and clothes. not my taste.

When I was a teenage boy-early to mid 80s, our neighbor across the street was an Avon rep and divorced mother of two, and she used to give me samples (foil wrapped single use wipes) of colognes and sometimes perfumes (supposedly for Mom, but I would keep some and excitedly sniff them...dreaming of the day when I could buy my own and wear them ). This scent reminds me of those days. I found this overwhelming and old lady like at the time. Now: WOW!!...

(Old ladies know what's up!) :-)

The bitter bright and expansive opening (complete with aldehydes aplenty) may turn some people off and make them say Eww!, but to me they say "BOY, come here!". The corriander and cardamom are dry and sharp, and the gardenia is creamy and full. As it calms, the heart blends strong flowers and exotic aromatic woods in a way that is at once sweet, warm and earthy. The myrrh and styrax give it a true vintage aura and the patchouli and vetiver give it strength and presence. There really is a lot "Occuring" here! A very animalic musky base, rounded by the gourmand components sweetness (honey, vanilla and coconuts), gives it something that many perfumes, today, don't really have any more: oomph! The smoky leather note and the warm amber make it feel even more exotic and a tad oriental, though it is most definitelty a chypre! After it dries completely it is nowhere near as loud or raucous as it's opening was. In fact, this is something the right guy could pull off with no problem: smoky, earthy and musky, as long as the power flowers were not a problem. This went from an "Eewww" to a "Hmmm?" to a "Yes, oh YES!" for me. My one friend calls this Avon's "No.5"!! Think you did not like it back then? Give this exquisite lady another sniff today (if you can find her, that is!) and maybe you'll find something grand and gorgeous, like I did...

Sillage: massive
Longevity: great
Overall: 3.75/5

Smelling Occur! again today is making me miss my favorite Avon vintage: Moonwind, even more. :-( If there is anyone in the member community who could provide a sample or small decant of Moonwind, you would have my undying appreciation and utmost respect as a collector!

Other Avon scents this made me remember:

Topaze

Iron
Interact
ProSport
Windswept

*Aah, the power of scent on memories...*

glitteralex
glitteralex

Avon fragrances have a certain signature aroma that is easily identifiable. Usually, I find this a detracting quality...but here, in Occur, it is charming, rather more a signature, like Caron's soapy floral base, than an indicator of cheapness.

This scent is unusual in that it is not flowery at all, despite the category of Floral Chypre. The gardenia in the top and the jasmine, rose, and LOV in the heart are voluptous, but veiled. Occur! leaves me with the impression of a spiced, dry, mossy oriental smoky, sweet incense, thanks to the Benzoin in the Styrax. The base is sultry warm, with a boozy vanilla note. Occur! is moody and mysterious, and lasts the whole evening through.

I want to thank makeupalley's "mariekel" for providing me with an exemplary vintage sample of this iconic scent.

Sissi
Sissi

I Think this is a bit Synthetic but netherless a Perfume of self Interest.
what make interesting and yet with a sting in the tail is the Unusual Mixure
of Leather and Honey and with the stylax
Civet myrrah whould'nt appeal to anyone
unless Brave it has some Vintage Eroticism to it like Italy or France
in the early 1960's a boy of 13 discovering an attractive Neibour next door Who looks like Sophia Loren Or Brigette Bardot. or going to your mother's Burgandy with faint orche stems and green leaves and a Ebony Trimed Round Vanity Mirror all Ebony
And you open the drawers and you see
Eyelash Curlers Red Lipstick Dark Nail Polish Perfumes Bras and Panties and when he saw them it became awaking for him this what i get a vibe Erotisim. without Expilciism.

Femme1
Femme1

I've avoided the cheap Avon perfumes, but I just bought a vintage bottle of Occur and am very happy with it. I remember my mom wearing this. It's a complex fragrance, honeyed woods with spicy carnations.

A classic chypre. Moss and leather prevail. The floral elements are very sweet and right on the edge of 'off', but the scent continues to a final dry down of honey and amber. Very nice in the vintage chypre range. I would recommend this to those who like heavy orientals but wish to branch into another genre of scent.

KalteStern
KalteStern

A good cheapie from Avon, whose fragrances often have some unpleasant notes to unbalance them after the first few minutes. I remember this from my childhood, and it hasn't changed. Still smells wonderfully woody and chypre-like, for those women who are tempted to nick their boyfriends aftershave ratherthan smell flowery and sweet, and it lasts for hours