Designers » A » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Wild Country Avon for men

Wild Country Avon for men
dislike

Wild Country Avon for men Pictures Wild Country Avon for men Pictures

Wild Country by Avon is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Wild Country was launched in 1967. Top notes are coriander, lavender, basil, anise, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, sandalwood, heliotrope, cedar and geranium; base notes are tonka bean, amber, musk, benzoin, oakmoss and vanilla.

Coriander Lavender Basil Anise Bergamot Lemon

Stetson

Wild Country Fragrance Reviews

Luna_J
Luna_J

I just tried a recentish bottle of this, mostly for the reference and because I enjoy Pinaud Clubman as a nostalgia aftershave... I can't really agree with the connection past the first thirty seconds -- Clubman still has real oakmoss in it, and gets pleasantly musty once the cheap topnotes burn off.

For me this is only like Clubman for the first minute or so, then rapidly transforms into the sweet coumarin, bright amber & synthetic musk base of Brut (that is, the current plastic bottle version, which is quite piquant and louder than either 'Classic' or 'Special Reserve'.) Not a progression of notes so much as a thick wave of varied stimuli. Not my thing at all, but if you are collecting references, here you are: a fresh drugstore fougere with a superficial barbershop opening. I must also reluctantly agree with Mr. Clark's baby wipe analogy, below.

Geminiemerald77
Geminiemerald77

Warm, cozy, and sweet. Wore this back in the mid 90's. It's sort of like a light but rich leathery candy smell to me..

Marie69
Marie69

Lemonzest. YES that is so true.. Blue Jeans...I remember that. Yes it was alot like this Wild Country. I agree with the need of a light touch. Reviewing the original formulation. Powdery, like the old Blue Waltz if I recall.

williamvargas
williamvargas

One of those that you easily dismiss as a serious fragrance. Yet every time I wear this I get compliments. I love it for the memories I get every time I sniff this.

nguyenvuhungvuong
nguyenvuhungvuong

A classic perfume for men, long lasting on me. Thick and heavy and I love it. Now it's one of my favorite. So sexy !!

fldan1020
fldan1020

Its a clean masculine smell, not too sweet. I use the powder which is great for Florida and the fragrance lasts all day. I have not tried the spray.

sophiesnose
sophiesnose

I call this one a guilty pleasure. I'm female and I love wearing it. It's a classic men's fragrance with noticeable florals. It's sexy because it's like a man and a woman's fragrances mingled together. I just love it.

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

This is truly a classic smell. Some may refer to it as a "mature" fragrance.

This is the sort of fragrance Steampunk or Rockabilly gentlemen might apply for putting more of an emphasis on an homage to days gone by.

Wild Country is a great cologne for men, except me, it's weird, one of those situations where I like the scent just not on me.

A headache inducer on me so I passed it on to my father, the whole gift set which was a EDT, body wash and aftershave.

For the price I can't see why one would not give it a try, whether through ebay or an Avon rep. you have a good number available out there.

Cocotea
Cocotea

For the entire five years of my secondary (high school) tenure back in the 1990s I smelled of Wild Country or Black Suede. I had no idea as a young adolescent female that they were male scents! My sister and I were given a pick of the two and the matching deodorants at the start of the terms. I remember this smelling sorta sweet and powdery and clean. I never saw a box until my early twenties and found out they were for men. I had a good laugh then, but I shouldn't have been surprised because my mom wore mostly male perfume. She said you got more for your money and they lasted longer. I think I'm going to have to order a bottle for old times sake.

lemonzest
lemonzest

Wild Country smells very similar to a drugstore ladies' cologne from the 1970's called "Blue Jeans." Wonder whether anyone else remembers that; it's not on the Frangrantica database. Coty, or Faberge? Anyway, I keep some Wild Country around because it smells like "Blue Jeans," which may have been the second cologne I ever owned (first being Houbigant's Chantilly).
I enjoy the memories more than the smell, but it is clean and inoffensive if sprayed lightly.
Most men's colognes smell great on me if I barely apply them. This one is strong. Use a light hand.

gommiebears
gommiebears

On my father, he either sprayed too much or this is the loudest cologne ever created. I believe he still has a bottle that he purchased back in the 70s or 80s.

nugrahartowinsu
nugrahartowinsu

oyeah i remember the scent .. i used this perfume when i was teenager.
so woody and balsamic on my oily skin,,

joeyy33
joeyy33

nice cologne,still use it in high school and picks up girls easy

I just acquired a vintage bottle and my first thought was that it's a variation on the Old Spice theme. This one is a touch more in the gourmand direction, and also less floral. It's also not animalic. The sandalwood note is quite good here, so that alone makes it worth considering (for sandalwood fans). It's a bit sharp at first but settles down nicely quickly. The ambery, powdery, and vanillic type qualities are obvious in the drydown, but there's a touch of sharpness that hangs on for quite a while. The far drydown is a soft, powdery, vanillic musk. Vintage Canoe is a bit softer than this, but both smell entirely natural to me in the drydown.

WolfHaleigh
WolfHaleigh

I appreciate the spicy presence and the sweet undertone. Makes it a fragrance that is not boring. I don't mind wearing this, but not too often, because I'm not a spice person. Nice for casual wear in fall season.

sanguine1
sanguine1

My mother gave me a 2 oz. bottle of Wild Country for Christmas 1967 or 1968. There's about a quarter ounce left in the extremely thick and heavy clear-glass container.

The scent was always a scosh flowery for me. But the container that holds it and the memories that come with it are exactly right.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I like Volkswagens, so when I saw a funny Avon bottle in the shape of a Bug, I bought it. The Avon Wild Country in it is gone, but the approximately forty year old scent remains, capped and secure. It's a good scent, but I think a bit too baby powdery for me.

-----
Update: Just tried a spray from a fresh bottle onto my wrist. Yes - the very same smell. Hasn't changed at all.
-----

Yes, it's a "barbershop" smell. But... wait. One reviewer said it reminded him of baby wipes. Yep - that's it! Wild Country smells like baby wipes! (I had three kids and am well acquainted with the smell.) Do I want to smell like baby wipes? No, I don't think so.

---

Update: Nevertheless I couldn't pass up an unopened, still in the box, 40+ year old bottle of this stuff at a yard sale for $2.The bottle is in the shape of a beautiful dog - hahaha!

Msanders7
Msanders7

This was my father's signature scent. I like it, it's a classic abd it smells great. The longevity and sillage are incredible. Not something I would wear daily, but if I'm in an old school mood I would wear it without hesitation. The more I remember this scent, the more I want to order a bottle.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

I love this one---on me. I am lady by the way and it smells comforting, rich, and spicy. The plus is that it does not give me a headache. Amazing fragrance.

Labaloo
Labaloo

Well... I think I'm stocked for life. I recently bought a vintage Avon chess set and I think about half of the pieces- which are bottles in disguise- are filled with this stuff! Your move- excuse me while I uncap my pawn and refresh my scent. It's not a bad fragrance. Reminds me a bit of Jovan Musk, but a tad more powdery. Touch of jasmine in the heart as well. Warm, fruity, woody, musky, clean. Ish. Yes, you could still be a little naughty with this one.

Guest_Kharnak
Guest_Kharnak

Hmm.. powdery all the way through from start to Finish.
I personally LOVE Avon Black Suede far more than this, it's far more complex and leathery compared to Wild Country. Needs more Leather, Wood and spice if you're gonna call it Wild Country.
It's mostly Powdery Amber Musk, without being too sweet. I detect a tiny hint of Vanilla, and more Anise.
I umm... must say that it actually reminds me a lot of Baby wipes.
Lasts a pretty long time, and doesn't change much, this must be the Benzoin Resin.(Benzoin is a sticky powdery sweet Resin that can be used entirely on its own.)
The DryDown is pleasant and powdery Anise... Reminds me a LOT of Brut now that i think of it. Brut is sweeter and Minty though.

smartypants1562000
smartypants1562000

I knew a guy who put this in his car as an air freshener. he had a can with a sponge in it and filled it each day and it always smelled so awesome!!!My husband likes it and I will buy it for him again and again.

RobbieX
RobbieX

This has a nice opening and has character, but the drydown is a bit too powdery for me. Having said that, I would like to try this again.

dayena2003
dayena2003

I don't like to smell this on my boyfriend, too sweet. He stoped using it after my bad opinion.

maiker
maiker

I love this cologne, is not sweet neither citric. is just right for a every day use, make me feel fresh and it lost long. love you....

Guest_cybergoth
Guest_cybergoth

this wild contry is really good the soft smell is just great

This cologne is 2 years older than I am! I used to think it was just nasty. Either the formula was modified, or my tastes have changed (most likely); because, now I do enjoy it very much...not an everyday scent for me, but a classic spicy powdery fougere that radiates manliness.

An herby warm clean scent greets the nose immediately, and there is not a whole lot of complex development here; but as it dries, it has very powdery masculine florals and dry woody-spicy air. The ultimate dry down on the skin is smooth and warmly oriental, with sweet mossy muskiness. I recall freshly powdered and freshly shaved guys in old Andy's barbershop, after school while waiting for a feathered haircut(aaah, the 80s). All in all, quite the classic (some say dated...)manscent. This may smell like your grandfather, or your dad...but there are some times when the reassuring scent of clean masculine strength and gentle spiciness bring instant comfort and security. This is a scent you (or at least I had to) grow into. And for what Avon charges-you can't beat the value.

Sillage: great
Longevity: very good
Overall: 3.5/5

I always thought this was a rip-off of Ralph Lauren's CHAPS (original), but anymore I find it very different...more smooth and powdery, less citric and sharp. This reminds me of a real man, one who chops his own wood, hunts his own meat and knows the land he lives on like the back of his hand...simple, fresh, warm and smooth-it does not get much sexier than that!

Cologne Junkie72
Cologne Junkie72

This is a very clean scent.Very smooth smell to it.Good for casual wear.

Veedabestchef
Veedabestchef

when i got this back in 2003..it was actually a gift from my sister..i was amazed by this scent..it smells soft and soothing..at the same time i smell baby powder in this. the musk and the vanilla soften them up..i didnt know this was made from avon till 2007 when i got the catalog from them i saw this and i have to buy my second bottle which was last year..i really like this scent..this one of my favorite scents from avon..and the powder and deodorant are great too...

don ricky
don ricky

Wild Country by Avon is a barbershop scent is smell clean and fresh like when you get a hair cut you look clean.it does not last long it goes away in a hour or less on me

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

My husband is trying the Avon body products in this line. Wild Country smells remarkably like Neutrogena glycerine soaps, and the Neutrogena Rainbath and Body Oil line. Warm, spicy, woody, with a lingering touch of musk, and it's totally unisex. If you like that Neutrogena scent, Wild Country will be right up your alley.

The overall effect is fresh and clean, but Wild Country is a different take on the citrus aquatic "fresh and clean" scent we typically associate with men's fragrances and body care lines today. Castor's description of "barbershop scent" is a good one. Wild Country is the "fresh and clean" of yesteryear, but still smells wonderful in 2009!

SleepyAVON
SleepyAVON

Ahhh this is an absolute classic. Very masculine and clean. One of my husband's favorites!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Wild Country fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Avon Wild Country, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Wild Country by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Wild Country by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.