Designers » C » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Boy Chanel Chanel for women and men

Boy Chanel Chanel for women and men
dislike

Boy Chanel Chanel for women and men Pictures

Boy Chanel by Chanel is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Boy Chanel was launched in 2016. The nose behind this fragrance is Olivier Polge. Top notes are grapefruit, lavender and lemon; middle notes are geranium, orange blossom and rose; base notes are coumarin, heliotrope, sandalwood, vanilla, moss and white musk.

Grapefruit Lavender Lemon

Geranium Orange Blossom Rose

Coumarin Heliotrope Sandalwood Vanilla Moss White Musk

White Musk For Men

Boy Chanel Fragrance Reviews

paggeo
paggeo

oh wow! Just plain woooow! I love this.. so clean fresh, happy and invigorating. Can smell the lavender coming through but so beautifully!!! Geranium..... Ah just divine!!!
Not "Boy" , but "Oooooh Booooy"

shiva-woman
shiva-woman

I quite like this. I don't love it with passionate, wild, must hoard bottles love, but I really like it. I think this is perfect for spring-summer, holds up to heat well, and very classy, cheerful, bright yet subdued. I'm a lavender lover (I don't think there are really very many of us), and this is a mellow lavender, not crunchy, herbacious, medicinal. I love lavender in ANY form, but this is soft, very approachable.

As others have noted, it's a bit of shape-shifter, and after a very brief top-note exhibit of lavender-geranium (and clean French milled soapiness) this one pulled toward the citrus side--and maintained it for hours (unusual for citrus I think). The rose, the vanilla, the heliotrope are very well blended so that not one stands out but all are present in a well-choreographed dance; no one is upstaging until the dry down when the heliotrope and musks merge into a powder and send the other flowers off stage.

What I do not get is the coumarin or sandalwood; it's so sanitized and soft that it's not present.
Overall this somehow manages to do many things well enough: citrus fresh, breezy-clean, brisk and uplifting, as well as soft powder, soothing dry-down, almost sensual-sexy--but not quite. I almost hate to write these words since they are so often a kiss of death for me and others but this IS office friendly; however, for me wearing this to the office would put me in a cheerful mood, ready to face the day, braced with a little citrus without fumigating people.

The longevity when sprayed with a lavish hand is pretty good. The silage is low to moderate. As others have noted, when dosed heavily with the juice, there is a point of diminishing returns; it just will not increase in silage or scent trail. Longevity increases, as does one's enjoyment, but that's it.
While this is billed as unisex, and supposedly leans toward the male consumer (one whose "girl" will pilfer his bottle), I think it tilts feminine. A guy could certainly pull this off, and some women might find it "too clean" to be masculine, but the powder qualities skew feminine for me.

Manny44
Manny44

This is .....nice. Boy is an appropriate name for this because it's cute and naive to its own beauty and also because it is too nice and polite for proper seduction BUT....only as long as the Lavender is there is this an exceptional fragrance. About an hour or so on me. The Lavender here is wonderful. Almost anise-like in its herbalness. After the lavender is gone the fragrance is much less interesting with just a simple musk,sandalwood and heliotrope but I found myself reapplying every 3 hours to experience that lavender again. All in all taking price into consideration along with the nose dive this takes I consider this a 6.75 / 10.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - geranium musk, lavender, vanilla & subtle sandalwood.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, during the day.

Projection - I did get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 8hrs consistently.

no-fi
no-fi

Starts with a Jicky-strength lavender, but sadly dries down into an inoffensive Lynx Africa-style scent. I've had better headaches than this sensory experience. A solid 2/10.

davitea
davitea

Nothing "exclusif" about this perfume except for the price. The first half an hour is pleasant and interesting, but far from original. After that I have to rub my nose to the wrist to get anything, and I put 2 good sprays. I would certainly not pay the amount of money Chanel is asking just to hardly detect a faded lavender soap smell.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

Boy smeels like a mixture of many things ... done before... but the result is something very wearable, agreiable, a bit nostalgic, a bit modern/clean, ultra suave and as many Chanel very classy. If Dior has Bois d'Argent, boy could be easely called Bois d'Or, it has the same stylish undertone of d'Argent but Boy shines beautifully any time of the day or night, and I expect any season, too on the moderate side, relaxed atmosphere, discret gatherings etc ... But yes, Boy goes on the other direction from the ouds&sweet&heavy duty scents so many people love ... so, you, beware ...

tneequeenie
tneequeenie

Well, my friend Trisha introduced me to this "Boy" and I am crushing over him bad!!! I must admit, he reminds me a little of my husband's long forgotten Canoe, lavender and powder.....did He just come from the barbershop??? He smells so crisp and green....hey wait a minute!!! Barbershop my ass! This "Boy" has been in the company of another woman! I can smell her perfume, some sort of floral ,sweet almond and sandalwood. A classy ,elegant woman to be sure. I am jealous, they are the perfect pair, their scents blending beautifully and I am dying to know her too. Intrigue gets the best of me, and I follow my "Boy" across town just to glimpse the other woman....but alas, I lost him after a couple of hours.....where did he go????Oh where did my "Boy" go???? Please come back, I can't get enough of you!! I love you Chanel Boy ☺

nbailey9
nbailey9

The initial blast of Boy is slightly masculine, with the lavender and citrus quite noticeable. When it dries down after a couple minutes, it's actually quite feminine because the vanilla kicks in. I'm not sure why, but this scent reminds me of the beach, which makes it summery to me. It reminds me a bit of Guerlain's Jicky, and just a tiny bit of Chanel Jersey, which is the superior scent. Boy is a really great scent, but on me it vanishes almost immediately. I tried several sprays on my skin, and then I tried it on clothing to see if it would hold better. No luck. Even if I put my nose directly to my wrist, it's gone. I have the old formula, so I'm wondering if the new EDP will have better longevity. If not, it's absolutely not worth the $185. Glad I sampled it, but I need a scent that lasts a full work day. If you're looking for a nice lavender that's still feminine and sticks around a little better, go Jersey.

Cherry_Darling
Cherry_Darling

Smells overall green and lemony, nice harmony with the florals,I think it can pass as unisex a lot below say nay but it can easily be feminine I think. A touch of musk but that's all that is really masculine. That said it's not unique enough for me to be a buy. Lasts pretty well good few hours.

I have 100+ niche samples for swap within Europe - updated spreadsheet of samples on my profile, get in touch!

Sample. Boy EdP. A lovely calm, fresh scent. I do have problems with citrus - they turn male'ish on my skin. It starts with Lavendel and citrus - in a male style on me. But its nice, calm, fresh, and I like it alot. But to me this is more of a male-scent then unisex, I guess its because my skin chemsitry. A perfect gift for a he-she or to a man that loves class.

Provtest. Boy EdP. en härligt lugn fräsch doft. Jag har problem med citrusnoter- de blir ofta manliga på mig tyvärr. Denna startar med Lavendel och Citrus med en manlig utstrålning. Men den är fin, lugn, fräsch och jag gillar den rejält. Men för mig är den mer mansdoft än unisex, antagligen för att citrusnoter och min hudkemi inte alls kommer överrens. En perfekt present för en manhaftig brud eller en man som gillar klass.

Kraemer
Kraemer

Boy is a stunning composition that walks the fine line of being neither too masculine nor too feminine. It has a decidedly "barbershop" vibe that's both intriguing and inviting. It's also become my signature scent, and it's one that I enjoy more than Aventus.

The composition begins with an explosion of the softest, most opulent lavender I've yet to encounter, along with bright beautiful citrus notes. After about 30 minutes, its lush, beautiful heart of rose and geranium begin to emerge, mixed with soft, creamy sandalwood, and a stunning, undeniably sexy musk.

My favorite moments begin as the base begins to expose itself, with soft Vanilla entering the mix followed by Heliotrope and Oakmoss. It begins to sweeten a bit without becoming gourmond. It disappears for moments at a time and reemerges as something that's either slightly masculine, or slightly feminine without being too much of either.

To me, Boy invokes the simple joy of receiving a great haircut and a close shave from a skilled barber. It's also walking along the Greenway with my fiancé on a cool spring morning, or dressing up for a night out on the town. It's multi-faceted and is suitable for wear during any occasion.

I should have purchased a bigger bottle.

Germany
Germany

BOY starts with a classic uplifting aromatic “barbershop” scent. But it doesn’t smell like a traditionally masculine scent at all. As Chanel advertises boy is a scent for a woman with traces of a mans cologne , like a woman waking up after a night in his shirt or his bed.
There is a soft velvety accord from the musk and raw materials chanel uses, the “sexy skin scent” .
The lavender smells clean and beautiful but not too soapy nor too harsh.
The heliotrope smells like sweet powdery almond, and then there is vanilla, and both of these help to balance the masculine notes very well. Just beautifully done in my opinion. I find it soothing and sensual and very natural if you will.
Another thing I love about Boy is that it's quite lemony in its beginning and so refreshing as well as soothing it does have a great masculine character in its beginning and then soon shows this sensuous soft vanilla almond face that is much more feminine than expected in the biginning. It is in fact just what Polge wanted to achieve and he has done so well.

There is something about BOY, likely the lavender and vanilla, that reminds me of Guerlain Jicky. Not with regards to the scent itself, but more so in the warm sexy Lavender perfume category. Another one of my favourite perfumes in that category is Jersey, which is a more soft and fluffy lavender vanilla musk scent . Again very different but both play on lavender musk as their main accords.

BOY is a soft, powdery clean but warm smelling perfume and I just love it , it went strait to my top shelf.

I do wish it would last longer. It turns into a skinscent after an hour and wears very close to the skin. However it's beautiful and the coumarin / benzoin enhance the vanilla combined with the heliotrope as a faboukes skin scent that stays very long when smelled up close. I don't mind to respray through the day. It's nice this way to get the lavender side of Boy a few times through the day !

BOY is the only one of the les exclusives that comes in the EDP version but all the other les exclusives will be changed to the EDP version come October 2016.

fuggerone
fuggerone

one of the least unisex of this line, more feminine...disappointed by low duration and poor sillage. It has an Habit Rouge with no leather resemblance, maybe more powdery....surprised by the sub standard performance to be a Perfume!

jojotou
jojotou

Boy is beautiful! It's so far from my usual perfume tastes which tend to be incense, pine and spice notes. It's like a big snuggly blanket and a stylish silk dress on a summers day at the same time. Both comforting and cultured. Its familiar and yet like nothing else. The notes are expertly handled where nothing dominates. I don't find it at all masculine, in fact to my nose, it's decidedly feminine. It's timeless, unpretentious and very, very special. Thank you Chanel.

aqua76239
aqua76239

I sampled it in Chanel store as it is sold exclusively there. As others said, it is a unisex scent. Lavender, heliotrope and musk dry down. I can't say I smell all the florals listed and I don't find it very floral at all. There is definitely some greenery in there but I can't quite identify it. In some way, mid notes reminded me of Eau de Savage?

I couldn't shake the feeling that I smelled similar stuff before. Its pleasant enough scent, make no mistake but I don't find it very unique or anything.

btw, the name is irritating. Why call perfume "Boy"? There is got to be more enticing and creative name than this.

maguayo2014
maguayo2014

I'm on the fence on this one I'll have to wear it a few more times but not bad

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

"Boy", the new Chanel exclusif is a modernized fougere that's very likable, but not sure it's "exclusive" enough.
Playing on unisex codes, Chanel advertises Boy as a woman's fragrance that has masculine undertones, but so do most Chanel fragrances in my opinion; No19, Coco, even chance eau fraiche are all androgynous. Boy is straightforward powdery vanilla, lavender, rosy geranium, with a nice freshness and a rounded barbershop musky note. It would have made a wonderful new masculine mainstream fragrance for Chanel! The opening is sparkly, playful and warms up quite a bit as it settles. The lavender and geranium give a cuddly fougere aromatic accord.

But i can see how Chanel enthusiasts might be disappointed, "Boy" Capel was the ultimate love of Coco Chanel's life, and he was a timeless, chic yet passionate and driven individual, and the fragrance doesnt really capture any of that. It's not timeless, has no dark side and feels rather cute and juvenile. There's no denying it smells really good but it falls rather short as an homage to Boy.

scent: 7+/10
longevity: 5/10
sillage: 5/10

Celloguy
Celloguy

This fragrance to me is a total marketing disaster. So disappointing and old-fashioned.. I expected much more from Chanel of today. Right from the start there is a big problem with the name. It's misleading and the whole product seems like a short-cut, a type of easy recycling of old ideas without the "fresh twist". Anyways, it put me in a bad mood because I expected something fresh and current yet with the class of Chanel that we know. Maybe it could be appealing to a woman in her 50s or 60s, but definitely not for a young girl I would say.

hailiek
hailiek

This is reminding me of guerlain's "insolence". They're both quite powdery and they have one to two notes in common, I suppose. This is more wearable than the guerlain though, it's quite soft.

Edit:
Wore this for two weeks straight. The perfume dries down on me as a vanilla-incense with very soft silage and decent longevity after an hour of a lavender musk combination that isn't unpleasant. Quite a fun perfume to wear, even in sweltering NYC summer heat.

perfumesamplesanddecants
perfumesamplesanddecants

this to us is one of the best new modern releases from the house of Chanel. totally wearable and very unisex. we love this one...

xrayer
xrayer

This was really unusual and as others have said quite a shape shifter. I don't believe I have encountered a fougere before which was the initial impression however this only lasted 10mins before it evolved. The drydown was my favourite phase of this but it reminded me strongly of Jicky and Cuir Beluga - both of which I would prefer. I was glad to try it but it's not amazing enough to purchase a FB.

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ You want to be inspired to write a flowery poetic review then wear a sample of "Boy" for a week. I ask myself would Gabrielle approve and would she share this perfume with her real life lover Arthur? I imagine yes with her in the dominant role of their relationship this soft floral vanilla unisex would depict him perfectly keeping him underfoot and subordinate. Gabrielle is the lavender leading the way here and "Boy" the vanilla dutifully picking her bouquet of geranium and heliotrope. Not all relationships are traditional and this is not a traditional fougere as it leans feminine and delicate to the nose. This Chanel on the other hand has shown me my tastes are a little more barbershop and classically masculine. I respect what Olivier has created but I will continue to find my lavender infatuation in the creation of his fathers Platinum Egoiste.

Kind Regards, Plat ~

Buy, Try or Pass? Try only for the Les Exclusif's loyal.

RobBob
RobBob

Boy oh Boy CHANEL! Love this newest addition for the Les Exclusifs line. I won't go into all the notes and foundation of this latest offering, many others have done that already.

I was in Saks Fifth Avenue and a salesperson behind the counter asked if I had tried Boy yet? No, I had not. Two sprays on my wrist and there I was, yet again, smelling my wrist for the rest of the day. I'm glad that Chanel finally created a Les Exclusifs scent in EDP concentration. Hence the higher price than the others. I think, like my other two favs, Sycomore and Coromandel. I would add Boy to the collection. I will when I save up enough money for it... Sigh... Chanel makes such great perfumes.

heathhaze
heathhaze

Chanel has aptly named this 'boy'. Obviously an homage to Captain Arthur Edward "Boy" Capel, for me its nomenclature alludes to the androgynous designs that Coco herself developed, challenging preconceptions as to what is female or male. I am constantly challenged by perfume salespersons, telling me that a particular perfume is only for 'females' or 'males', when my nose knows better. 'Boy' is quite a 'shape-shifter', modulating between a traditional fougere model, with soft lavender and vanilla, to a delicate citrus, and then changing to a bouquet of soft flowers (geranium, heliotrope and a dash of rose). Back to the lavender, and then start the shape-shifting all over again. If you are a girl or a boy, or something in-between, this is definitely something for you to consider. Projection is moderate to close (another shift!) and longevity is impressive (10 to 12 hours or more). You get several perfumes in one bottle with this, but you will never know which it is at any given moment.

Boy aka how to modernize an aromatic fougere while keeping it solidly linked to classicism. This is what I get from Boy and I like it.

A lavender-driven aromatic / herbal concoction with some delicate floral hues here and there. It gets a tad too sweet during the middle-phase but the overall sweetness tames down pretty soon to disclosure the most lovely drydown. A fantastic exercise on how to turn a typical testosterone-driven theme into an androgynous fragrance that feels classic without relying on nostalgia and modern without trying so hard to be original.

A good perfume. As simple as that.

Bravo.

Rating: 7.5/10

KitKat
KitKat

Ordered it the first day it was available online without even trying it. It sounded so promising and I was super excited about it. Sadly it didn't work for me. My main issue is that is too masculine. It has this old school barber shop vibe. I wish it was a bit more feminine. Also it might smell better during winter time so I will try it then again.

jays786
jays786

Chanel fragrances have performance issues so I'll pass on this one sorry but it's a no from me.

Marie_Anne
Marie_Anne

I normally struggle with unisex fragrances but these notes sound promising - love heliotrope, love lavender, love orange blossom and love rose. Not sure how that all may work as a men's fragrance though.. But I do want to find out, wonder when it is in the UK

EDIT: Tried it finally in Heathrow, absolutely forgettable, nothing special - lavender with some other stuff in the background. Not much rose, not much orange blossom as I expected. Very very unisex, to the extend of being nowhere. May be it is my skin that does not reflect the quality but for me it is a miss.

PerfumeKing14
PerfumeKing14

i tried this recently & all i can say is 'I'm disappointed' i don't quite know what i expected but what i smelt wasn't it, for a new release i was kind of let down by the lack of 'CHANEL' in this scent.. i don't think its awful by any means but it isn't for me i don't think.

Jomoves
Jomoves

Smells to me like a mix of Chanel No.5, a bit of water and a dash of Lemon Pledge. Nothing new to anyone over about 35 but something new to anyone under 25.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

A very soft and soapy lavender scent with a slight powdery feel. Clean, polished and refined without a harsh note in it. The dry down is also very mild and softly flowery. Unisex? Maybe, as a guy I can see this as a safe work fragrance, but it may come across as too soapy and very mature. This veers way more feminine to me. For the price and hype surrounding this, I have to say I'm slightly disappointed, but Im not a big fan of lavender. Its beautiful, natural smelling and well crafted, but nothing I would have to own. Let's just say I respect it more than I actually like it.

LisaMari
LisaMari

I don't think it's anymore masculine than Chanel No.5 , it's basically that but sweeter which makes it more feminine actually. The opening is a bit like lemon scented baby wipes and talc :/ after that thenotes I detect the most are a brisk greenish lemon and powder.. There's also something v cool (as in cold) and metallic about. I prefer it to No5 it's much more wearable and quite refreshing in the humid summer. After several hours the dry down does becomes more aftershave like and masculine.
And I don't notice any musk actually... :/

AveParfum
AveParfum

I wore Boy Chanel many times before attempting to review it, as it demanded time to fully comprehend it. It behaves on my skin the way an Amouage does. It takes on different layers and develops over many hours. That being said, longevity is excellent. The longest I wore it was 16 hours before I had to go to bed, but it was still there when I woke up. Sillage is office-friendly.

I absolutely love the top notes--a classic, masculine combo of woods and citrus coupled with aromatic dried lavender. The citrus smells like sweet, juicy grapefruit. A mere ten minutes later the perfume becomes entirely different--a powdery, creamy heliotrope-dominant fragrance with an intense dose of musk.

The extent to which any masculine notes show up on the skin seems heavily dependent on chemistry. I have to painfully scrutinize it to detect them for the majority of time that it's on my skin, so it wears totally feminine on me. To be more specific about the masculine undercurrent, I smell a seriously gorgeous, smooth, creamy sandalwood coupled with a delicate, clean whisper of geranium. It smells like a classic fougère with woods, geranium, and even a bit of spice. The only thing I was hoping for in this perfume that did not manifest is a fresh, green element like oakmoss or perhaps mint.

Here is CHANEL's description: "Gabrielle Chanel considered Arthur ‘Boy’ Capel as more than her soul mate; he was her double and her alter ego. Inspired by their love, BOY CHANEL is a vibrant, perfectly balanced scent that challenges tradition and transcends gender."

I think the description set up expectations that Boy would smell more conspicuously masculine and really push the envelope as a gender-bending fragrance, but in this regard I don't see it as being avante-garde on any level. Almost anything from the Coco lineup (especially Coco Mademoiselle EDT) as well as the Allure lineup are equally masculine if not more so than this. If you are a man hoping to do some gender-bending, certainly try this out, but you might have more luck with some of the others I mentioned. Then there is the woody, green, powdery No. 19 EDT and the leather-heavy Cuir de Russie. I could go on.

I do feel that Boy successfully encapsulates the two lovers into one fragrance because it smells as if I layered two fragrances together. It's like I am wearing my usual, daily signature, but I put a dab of my boyfriend's cologne on my wrist as I rushed out to work. It's more of a memory of a boyfriend versus a unisex fragrance that a man and woman might share--but of course they can share if they want to, obviously.

I could not help but compare Boy to Jersey because IMHO CHANEL already had a lavender-centric perfume, and I didn't think that lavender was the greatest note to build another Les Exclusifs around so soon, and I still feel that way after familiarizing myself with Boy. And there are certainly huge similarities. They both contain heaps of lavender, and they are both creamy and musky. I'm not sure its warranted to own both perfumes unless you are a big fan of this specific scent profile to the point where only minor differences will be enough for you to want them both. Otherwise I would suggest testing them first and choosing the one you like better.

They both have a luscious, vanillic creaminess, but if you happen to like an almond vibe, Boy contains a sweet, powdery almond scent whereas Jersey lacks it entirely. Also, the lavender isn't exactly the same. I get more of a fresh, herbal lavender in Jersey, which has more of a bite to it, a bit of sticky camphor, bitterness, and greenness, as though it is still on the plant. The lavender in Boy starts out that way, but over time as it develops into a feminine perfume, it becomes a strictly floral lavender.

I love musk, so the other thing I love about both perfumes is that they each have a giant musk note in them, but while Jersey is soft and fluffy, Boy's musk has fur on it and growls a little. The animalic musk heightens it to a fragrance that is truly sensual, a quality that ties in beautifully with its concept. I almost wondered if there could be a bit of a leather accord going on, but it's not leather, it's just furry musk. And to my nose it's synthetic, which is great.

Boy is a feminine heliotrope perfume, not a gender-bender nor a unisex fragrance. The individual notes in the perfume smell very beautiful and of exceptionally high quality. To my knowledge, CHANEL still has their own flower fields and also purchases some of the finest natural essences in existence, and that is evident in Boy Chanel.

While on the whole it might be a sweet, powdery, heliotrope scent, make no mistake: Boy is not "cute," and it is not "girly." It still exudes the elegance that we expect from CHANEL. Like Misia, I feel that Boy is destined to become a classic. Its soft, sweet, creamy, powdery aura of elegance is going to be irresistible to many people.

Boy is not my favorite CHANEL, but it's beautifully crafted. I appreciate the artistry.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Christened the sample bottle today at the Chanel counter in David Jones prior to its Aussie release.
Initial thoughts were of a lavender powder bomb exploding in my nostrils,all the other notes are somewhat drowned out for the first few minutes.The lavender is fresh and natural smelling,almost like it has been just snipped and bought in from the garden.
Then the geranium note,also green and slightly minty fresh makes an appearance from behind the purple curtain.The grapefruit and neroli are very subtle in my opinion and I cannot pick up a distinct rose note at all.
As the mid notes progress it becomes very powdery,no doubt with the musk base note coming more into play.
The drydown at about the 3 hour mark becomes a soft lavender pillow on a bed of understated sandalwood and creamy but not sickly sweet vanilla.
All in all a good effort,not great.This type of fougere has been attempted countless time and Chanel has not added anything new.
Masterfully blended as expected from the Exclusifs range and real progression of notes but not as masculine as I would have hoped.Definitely unisex with a definite feminine leaning.I feel Chanel's use of lavender with the vanilla supporting cast may have something to do with that.
A like but not a love in my book,Coromandel and Sycomore are still my favourites from Chanel.

shushkin
shushkin

Pleasant but I would wouldnt buy fb. its definitely unisex and I cant imagine it offending anyone. Sweetish soft lavender fougere. Long lastng and moderate sillage

lisa o
lisa o

A bit sweeter than I expected, it's actually quoting No. 5. Otherwise no surprise, but very wearable. I don't know yet, if its barber-shop enough to get the connotation transportet without having the b/w pictures of Coco and Boy in mind.
Funnily, my husband wanted to buy it for our teenage son without knowing the name of it, liking it a lot on me.
I think I'll buy it for myself, being a generous mum sometimes;-)

NeoXerxes
NeoXerxes

*Feminine Fougere*

Before its floral mid and vanillic base, Boy opens with an uncomfortably synthetic explosion of notes. For me, the first minute or two is a sinus-searing mashup of what smells like chemical-laden citruses and fixatives. Present in the opening is nearly the same cringe-worthy grapefruit note that is present at the opening of Bleu de Chanel. Sadly, the first few minutes always smell a bit cheap to my nose, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. Maybe it is the ingredient quality, the overall blend, or the perfumer’s particular style, but this fragrance does not belong in the exclusives range, smelling instead like a cross between a Chanel flanker and a Balenciaga fragrance. On that note, if this were a kind of modernized “fougere flanker” of Chanel No. 5, I doubt that anyone would be surprised. For what you get with Chanel Boy, many might agree that the significantly smaller price tag of the normal collection would more appropriate. Still, Boy is very pleasant, and I highly doubt that it will be a widely disliked fragrance. Performance is mediocre in all categories.

Anyway, the fougere vibe that makes this fragrance famous is produced by the texture of the opening and by the interplay between aromatic elements and a sweet vanilla that provides contrast. Aromatic lavender and geranium reference the more classical fougere structure, while the addition of vanilla brings to mind the oriental twists in fragrances like Caron’s Pour un Homme and Frederic Malle’s Musc Ravageur. Boy smells nothing like these or any previous fougere though, as the lavender and geranium are drowned out by a slightly cacophonous medley of florals – rose, orange blossom, and heliotrope – that produce a sweet and sparkling floral bouquet that is reminiscent of Chanel’s No. 5. Incidentally, Chanel No. 5 is an odd comparison for an allegedly unisex fragrance, isn’t it?

Read my full review at FragranceDaily.

duchessm
duchessm

An overall unimpressive powdery scent with a heliotrope and musk heart that dries down into a pleasant vanilla with lavender.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Aldehydes and hesperidic notes in the opening, interwoven with freshly picked lavender and heaps of musk!

Rose and geranium show up briefly in the middle, along with a hint of Neroli, before sooner or later in the dry down the vanilla, heliotrope and vanilla take over the stage.

"BOY" is arguably the new "gender-fluid" generation where anything goes. It's a hybrid between male and female, leaning strongly towards the female. As an analogy: the woman that wears her boyfriend's Levis 501 or his leather biker jacket, or both, yet always her feminine aura, charisma and style will prevail and dominate.

It's a play on words, obviously and I am 100% certain, that the gay fashion market will embrace it with open arms (and use it more than poppers, we hope).

Not terribly original, but it never intended to, for it is simply yet another re-interpreted and updated "Un Homme" de Caron, that ANOUAGE did last year with "Sunshine Man".

The face of this campaign should be the obvious Boy George (1984) or Agyness Deyn Loira (former Burberry model), or even both.

I wonder whether Karl Lagerfeld got involved with this?

Anyway. It is nice and fresh and a nice summer scent, finally launched according to the season. (normally we get fur in July and mini skirts in January).

7.5/10. Allover good effort. Will appeal to many.

antonpan
antonpan

Guys, the more I wear Boy the more I understand it is very similar to Caron Pour un Homme. A less linear, less sweet and better balanced Caron that met Chanel Jercey. A lavender start that turns into super powdery vanilla sandalwood combo.

rnasim
rnasim

Certainly not "fresh spicy" or "citrus". Stifling fuggy rosy/sandalwood smell, nothing special, 100% feminine. Very similar to Encens Jinhae from Atelier Cologne.

s.pa_pandora
s.pa_pandora

I have it as 200 ml. size. Personally, Boy is a women fragrance which men can use. I think there’s nothing like Egoiste Platinum as some people claim.

Normally, most people label lavender as a masculine scent, but CHANEL make lavender more feminine by some notes; vanilla, rose, other floral scents, in both Jersey and Boy. For me, Boy is made more aromatic and masculine than Jersey because of geranium and less vanilla, but I love both.

In sum, Boy is rather unique, based on CHANEL standard, but may not punch someone wanting strange scent or highly having an expectation in newly alternative masculine fragrance.

So, Boy is just a name in CHANEL fragrance but not a specific fragrance for boys or men. It is surely unisex but I think it seems 80% feminine and 20% masculine.

Kake718
Kake718

Modern Masterpiece, It has that Classic Chanel feel, really Lux and easy for a man or woman to wear.. My first splurge in a while TOTALLY WORTH IT.
The price increase is due to this being the first Eau de Parfum in the collection, all the other scents to follow, it's 325 for 6.7 oz. vs 280 for the rest of collection in eau de toilette concentration, I hope the new concentration doesn't change Sycomore, or Cuir de Russie.
But this will probably be a good thing.

aanton1
aanton1

I just got a sample of this, it smells very similar to Chanel no. 5 to me. Not bad, but it smells similar to many of Chanel's fragrances. Citrusy, powdery, soapy, floral, I would say it is more feminine than masculine. Glad I got to try it, but it is not for me unfortunately.

smellagent
smellagent

Ooh Just got my samples mailed to me by the Chanel Boutique and it goes on my want list. I get clean lavender, heliotrope and musk. Mostly lavender up front. Don't get vanilla till the dry down. A little citrus is noticed and the rest is just a blend for me. Classy and just smells good with nothing in there to get "used to".

scott.lauze
scott.lauze

Wearing this today. Very, very nice. For those who are turned off by the idea of a fougere, fear not. There is the architecture of a fougere (lavender, citrus, vanilla instead of coumarin) built on a foundation of classic Chanel floriental (rose, orange blossom, sandalwood, vanilla). It is masterfully blended and straddles masculine and feminine, contemporary and retro boundaries. Moss isn't listed but it gives one that vibe in the base, making reference to classic Chanel. The top notes are crisp and fresh. The vanilla is warm and deep, the sandalwood contributing some milky overtones.

A class act, sillage and longevity are civilized; not too big or loud, doesn't overstay it's welcome, but has PRESENCE.

Worth the price of admission, I'd say.

Knows2Nose
Knows2Nose

At first, I thought this was platinum egoiste, the notes look awfully similar. Maybe it'll be a modern version of that classic.

I wore platinum for over 15 years and no other cologne could stand up to it's greatness. It was constant complement day after day. Up until 4 years ago did the scent suddenly change. It's now a faint, cheaper smelling watered down version. But I get it, Chanel wants to push and focus on newer colognes like Bleu to bump up their revenue. But who knows, maybe boy will bring the "classic" back from the dead.

miniwidget
miniwidget

I went to the Chanel Boutique in my area to inquire about this new perfume. They looked at me like I was batshit crazy. Does anyone know if and when this will come to the US?

Guest_Orbitord
Guest_Orbitord

I am surprised so many people find the name of this fragrance to be "strange". Dear Chanel lovers and haters, please remember the "Garçonne Look" introduced by Chanel. The "Garçonne" derives from the masculine garçon; and "Garçon" is a French for what? - Exactly! Did she call her English lover the "Boy" only or, maybe sometimes "Garçon" as well? We don't know, but the name "Boy" is perfectly appropriate for a fragrance by the house established by Chanel, a rebellious and non-conforming woman and a great innovator of her times.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

This newest Chanel fragrance was delivered to me by air mail from Paris France where it was launched about 2 weeks ago. My good friend Lysette thank you. What a lovely gift. Ok so the only complaint I have is the name. Chanel Boy. I do know that Boy was the nickname of Chanel's first lover a British polo player Capel who supported her dreams of becoming a fashion designer but they would have done better if they had it called it Capel by Chanel. But it's only a name so, let's not let trivial things get in the way. The fragrance is so beautiful. So romantic. And unisex. I repeat UNISEX. This is why it's such a mistake to call it boy. This is a fragrance for men and women. It's very floral and it's a floral fougere. It has a lavender opening and sandalwood base/woodsy dry down (and additional musk) typical of very traditional fougeres. Fougeres are very easy for women to wear because of the floral notes that are in it. I never thought lavender was masculine as on me it always smells so pretty and like heliotrope, violet or lilac. The lavender in this scent is dominant. Lavender for days. The other flowers however are not shy and are also making their own appearance: heliotrope, roses, geranium and orange blossoms. I love each of these flowers especially heliotrope. Being such a flower slut any flower in a perfume just sends me over the moon. This is a beautiful bouquet of flowers. It smells romantic and there is still a definite Coco Chanel vibe to it, as in Gabrielle herself in this scent. She is in love and receiving flowers from Capel, and they make love in a cottage near the beach at Deauville. The fresh sea air and the scents from the beach resort waft into the air. There is grapefruit and citrus at the opening very fresh and just like a summer breeze. There is something just a tad aquatic so it took me to Deauville by the beach. There is orange blossom as well so again this is very floral and so floral enough to be worn by women. To top it all there is vanilla in it and it's very pronounced vanilla at the end, sweetening all the flowers and providing the scent with longevity. The musk is sufficient for men, and wearable for women. I love love love this perfume. It's so cool they released this just in time for spring as it does evoke spring time and love. This is a love story between Chanel and Capel as if they had come together to create this perfume. Enchanting fougere and highly recommended despite the fact that the price is pretty high right now and can only be bought online from the Chanel site or boutiques in France. I have not seen it yet in the US. I hope it gets here soon because I'm buying more of this stuff.

wild gardener
wild gardener

First impressions are: no surprises here.
A medium sweet, greenish, lavender and rosy geranium fougere with a sandalwood, heliotrope and musk base. A hint of that penetrating grapefruit molecule found in the current crop of men's designer frags (Sauvage, The Scent etc) brings it into line with market trends.
An old fashioned genre dusted off and given a modern gloss.

McYvan
McYvan

Oh I'm dying to try this, I suppose it's a powdery fougere fragrance which is uncommon, and the story of Mademoiselle and Boy Capel is touching me. To be updated.

lulu169
lulu169

oh Boy! orange blossom & heliotrope - two loveliest notes to my nose, CANNOT get wrong with this..and the name is perfect sexy