Designers » C » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Chanel No 5 L'Eau Chanel for women
dislike

aldehydic
yellow floral
Chanel No 5 L'Eau Chanel for women Videos Chanel No 5 L'Eau Chanel for women Videos
Chanel No 5 L'Eau Chanel for women Pictures Chanel No 5 L'Eau Chanel for women Pictures

The latest fragrance in the legendary Chanel N°5 line is scheduled for the fall of 2016. Chanel N°5 L’Eau is the flanker that aims to capture the younger, millennial audience. The scent was developed by Olivier Polge as a light and fresh interpretation of the sophisticated original, featuring prominent note of May rose from Grasse. Olivier Polge has apparently been working on this composition since 2013.

Top notes: lemon, mandarin, orange, neroli and aldehydes. Heart: rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine. Base: cedar, white musk.

The face of the campaign is Lily-Rose Depp. Available in bottles of 50 and 100 ml.

Lemon Mandarin Orange Orange Neroli Aldehydes Bergamot Lime

May Rose Jasmine Ylang-Ylang

Cedar White Musk Vanila Orris Root

Chanel N°5 Eau Premiere
Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere (2015)
Chanel N°5 Elixir Sensuel

Chanel No 5 L'Eau Fragrance Reviews

aliora
aliora

Not to say that it smells like shampoo, but there is something in this in the initial two minutes or so that reminds me of shampoo. It's clean, but thankfully not insipid. I was perplexed at first because this smells so much like Eau Premiere initially, I didn't see the merit of Chanel launching this (besides it being a marketing ploy to get the even younger crowd). But now that I've had it on longer, I realize that this is much less powdery than eau premier, and that might be the biggest difference between the two next to the shampoo impression.

My Eau Premiere gives me slightly anxious reminders of my early twenties job searching days, but this doesn't seem to trigger those feelings as much, so perhaps there is more difference between the two than meets the nose.

If Eau Premiere was a lemon/lime soda take on the the legendary Chanel No.5, then L'eau is like lemon accented sparkling water.

mamufa
mamufa

little beauty... it reminds me of the Original but it's weaker and citrusy. but for me its an advantage. the Original is still too strong for me. and this little one is exactly what I need. the perfect base smells like clean skin of a classy young woman...
on clothes it stays much longer, not too intrusive, just a hint here and there when I move...

laurniko
laurniko

I was so surprised to love this as much as I do. I don't own any citrus fragrances, and I do have Chanel no 5 eau Premiere, but this is so nice, clean, and sometimes I feel like it has less sillage and lasting power than Eau Premiere, and sometimes it seems like it has more! Last night I did a spray of each on either wrist and this morning the L'Eau was going strong, and the Eau Premiere had died a sad and lonely death.

This is a great summer perfume, it's soapy, crisp, clean. I really love it. It smells like freshly washed and shampooed me, with a sundress and sandals. I struggle with buying a whole bottle because I have to use SO MUCH of my Eau Premiere for it to last through the day, that I don't feel it's worth the price. It does smell slightly different than the original Chanel no 5. Much more soapy/clean vibe going on here. This does not say "old lady" in the slightest, and what does old lady mean anyway? I know many in their 20's and 30's who ROCK the O.G. no 5. However, it is not for me, too floral and sharp. These flankers do the job of giving you a taste of their legendary mother, but because they are lighter in scent, they don't last very long and therefore are just not worth the price to me. But oh, I'm so addicted to this one, I may have to succumb!

LoriAlyse83
LoriAlyse83

I'm really not sure what part of "L' eau" some of the reviewers below do not understand. This is WATERED DOWN No 5. It's even in the name, as in "L'eau = water". If you want full fledged No 5 then by all means get that. But if you purchase a very dilute EdT then expect EdP performance, you're going to have a bad time.

With that said, this is "Sugar-free Diet No 5". Smells just like No 5 only very diluted, white musk instead of civet. Lots of squeaky clean aldehydes and short lived which is something to be expected from an EdT.

I think it's great for when I wan't No 5 but don't feel like suffocating myself or anyone else under a cloud of extrait. :)

Phoebecat2017
Phoebecat2017

Smells cheap on me. I wanted to like it but I could smell the alcohol lying right on top. As the scent radiated outward, people who know I wear Chanel No. 5, which is everyone I know, would kind of squint and look askance as if something was off.

More than one person shook their heads and said right out "Cheap."

Disheartening, to say the least. In the trash it went.

SebaM83
SebaM83

Beautiful, sparkly and fresh, like champagne, with aldehydes, lemon and Ylang-Ylang taking the front seat. That being said, I think that as beautiful as it is, is one of the weakest Chanel fragrances I've tried. Poor longevity on my skin with very soft sillage. Spraying close to the skin helps with the longevity, but no monster either.
I own Coco, Coco Noir, Nº5 EDP and Nº19 Poudre, Nº5 L'eau is not even near them, which is very sad, because I really like this fragrance.
I love the scent, is a beautifully made fragrance, but it just doesn't perform well on me.
I'll keep testing it.

EDIT: Indeed it is softer than other Chanel fragrances, but its beauty is undeniable. Longevity improves if you spray closer to the skin. Sillage is moderate but good enough.

Photojenchick
Photojenchick

A beautiful, gossamer-sheer version of the original No. 5. My No. 5 love spans across the parfum, EDP, EDT, Sensual Elixir, the powder, lotion, and the pre-reformulated version of Eau Premier. L'Eau definitely possesses No. 5's elegant bone structure. Lovely from box to bottle to juice. The best spray nozzle ever engineered, emitting the finest, perfectly-disbursed mist. The scent is perfect for spring or summer.

Yet, every time I spray it, instant migraine. Every. Single. Time. I blind-bought L'Eau since no other Chanels have led me down migraine lane: not Coromandel, not the original Coco in EDP nor EDT form, not Coco Mademoiselle nor the Chances. I regularly wear heavy perfumes without a single throb of the head, including that freak fragrance (I love) Angel and its celestial sister, Alien. Nothing has brought on the pain as fast and furious as No. 5 L'Eau. I am heart broken.

To L'Eau, I say, "It's not you, it's me." After all, she is gorgeous. I'm the one with issues with her white musk + cedar + aldehyde combo. Just offering a head's up to anyone who might have those sensitivities as well. Please test first before buying. I wish I had.

Deppaholic

Just wanted to add about this fragrance, from my previous review. I am on my 4th bottle of this, and took to heart the recommendation from another review, to buy the Chanel No 5 body oil, which on it's self, has many legs and is gorgeous, but it does ground L'eau, and gives it a little more staying power, plus the fact that I can smell it too! That's the backbone that I like. Love it or hate it, or never tried? Give it a whirl. I love it. I'm down to very few bottles anymore that I am really still am chained to. I'm slowly unloading my stash.

LadyIva
LadyIva

It's downright rude how these big brands underestimate the millenials. It's like: 'Hey, let's make this cheap and weak fragrance that smells like lemon dishwasher and slap a ridiculously high price on it and call it No. 5 and sell it to the millenials, because they are a) too dumb to tell a difference between a chemical lemonade and a proper perfume, b) too lazy to study the history of perfume and get familiar with different notes, c) too self-indulgent to think twice before splashing their (or their parents') money on this, and d) too vain to resist taking selfies with their new purchase and sharing them on social networks, which is gonna give us even more free exposure.'
But seriously, these kids deserve better.

Perfume_Lover85
Perfume_Lover85

I've found my favourite Chanel fragrance! For years I've been searching for one that I love enough to add to my perfume collection, there are others that I like but due to the price I had never found one that I wanted enough to buy until this. I bought the 50ml and now regret it, I really want the 100ml and it will be added to my collection soon enough!

First spray I get citrus straight away, mostly lemon but orange and lime are in there too, it reminds me of Chanel No5 at the very beginning then on the dry down it turns in to a beautiful soft powdery scent that I absolutely love.

Thankfully I don't have much of a problem with it's lasting power, I don't have a lot of EDT but this one does last a little longer or even the same amount of time as some of my EDP so I can't complain too much there.

I really wish I had just bought the 100ml bottle, when I'm at home I sometimes pick this bottle up and just take the lid off and smell it because I'm so addicted to it.

It's just beautiful.

coffeeandgrace
coffeeandgrace

I got this unexpectedly and love it. I think it's just beautiful. And I struggle normally with Chanel fragrances and with aldehydes. People may not think it's groundbreaking but it's very well done and classy imo.

jellybeantree

This fragrance is starting to grow on me . Read K1's review . Spot on !

K1
K1

Light aldehyde - lemony - musky
Color impression: pistachio green

A brilliant flanker that brings classic No5 to today's generation with harmony of lemon waft and soft aldehydic edition, without brutal animalic side. Instead of civet, musk delivers a smooth and soothing soapy aerial vibe to it. Splendid young, positive, chic and posh fragrance. The dry down is out of this world.
★★★★

sphynxcat
sphynxcat

I've tried it a couple of times, hoping to like it more, but it's not happening. The opening and 1st 20 min or so are like a pale citrus cologne with a hint of no 5 in there. This phase is pleasant and very refreshing, perfect for summer, etc. but then came the exploding dryer sheets which made it a scrubber for me and made it smell cheap, actually. They keep trying to re-work no 5 to appeal to the kiddos. "Why?" is my question. Are they that desperate over at Chanel? Most young people think No 5 smells "old". Just make more Chance flankers or something totally new, without dumbing down a classic. That's my 2 cents.

loonad
loonad

Lovely scent but longevity really lets me down. Wanted it so much but longevity disappointed me.

Madrona
Madrona

Much like Eau Premiere, I get "Shalimar off-brand lemon-lime soda" in the opening. From there, a soapy number fivey character emerges. Smells like luxurious handwash, really. Less crisp white shirtey cologney than I expected, but I enjoy it. I think they have succeeded in what they set out to do, that is creating something classy a young woman can graduate to wearing (or something she will get for her graduation that she might actually wear).

vintagevixen
vintagevixen

No. 5 L'Eau seems to made out of magical fairy dust, so light and effervescent that one would think it was created for the sweetest of angels and princesses. The first spritz feels invigorating and fresh with a burst of citrus and orange. Then the floral notes of jasmine and May rose come in, which gives the perfume an elegant rather than sporty feel. Finally it concludes with a whisper of cottony light musk, cedar, and vanilla. It is a beautiful fragrance while it lasts.

Unfortunately, the lasting power is quite weak, even for an EDT. I also cannot understand why Chanel priced it the same as Eau Premiere and the classic EDP when it is an EDT. Still, it takes me to a land of magical fairies and angels every time I wear it. It it also undeniably chic and very Chanel.

Compared to Eau Premiere, this dries down less powdery and is also softer and more citrusy. I prefer the opening notes of Eau Premiere, but I like the drydown of L'Eau better. I have tried different layering techniques to enhance the lasting power of L'Eau. I've tried the No. 5 Body Cream, which is gorgeous but has a strong powdery drydown which I don't always care for. I've also tried layering it with No. 5 Elixir Sensuel, which is sadly long discontinued. So far I'm liking it layered best with the Elixir Sensuel. For those that don't own that, I would recommend the No. 5 Body Oil, which is supposed to be limited edition but its still around. No 5 L'Eau is definitely worth a try if you still haven't found your favorite version of No. 5 yet! There is a possibility you may fall in love.

socorrosouza
socorrosouza

Wouldn't be better if you just said you don't like aldehydes? Many pleple don't.
Aldehydes were one of the first synthetic notes and are very much still in use with new names like "solar notes", "ozonic notes", "aquatic notes", "sea notes", "sea coral notes" .If you don't like aldehydes I gather you don't like these either.
Please stay away from grannies. If you didn't have 2 of them you wouldn't been born. And it is so simplistic and unimaginative to blame your dislikes (and taste is personal and you don't have to justify it) on the age of wearers (and you are very much wrong about it too, because "grannies" have as diverse a taste as anyone else).

MrsTefee
MrsTefee

I tried to love this one because Im a HUGE fan of chanel no 5. but I just cant. The opening is the only thing that smells like no.5 to me. Otherwise its extremely light and linear. I never really get distinct middle or dry down notes at all.

Its just, boring and IMO not very close to no 5 other than that first opening spray. Meh. This also gave me nausea which the other versions dont do either, just something in this isnt working at all.

I VERY much prefer eau premiere anyways...

xxsweetwifeyxx
xxsweetwifeyxx

Preferable Chanel No.5 among the flankers IMO. My first love was Eau Premiere but then it got boring for me and wanted to try the L'eau. Then BAM! I got so madly in love with the L'eau. I love how citrusy it is and the musky sweet dry down though sillage stays close to skin. I have the 3.4oz and 1.2oz to take with me whenever I need to reapply. On my skin is lasts 6hrs+ but I reapply after 3 hours bec I just want a moderate sillage and I just really love the scent to the point that I wanna bathe it lol

Black_Swan
Black_Swan

Wow - so gorgeous and much more versatile than the original. Don't get me wrong, I love No 5 EDP and I love to wear it, but not for daily wear unless it's the body lotion (which is to die for, by the way - it's much softer and so luxurious). This one has a hint of No 5 but then turns into something just as lovely in it's own right. Light and airy with the usual Chanel beauty, elegance, and sophistication. I love that Chanel is treating No 5 with the respect of not surrounding it with sub-par "flankers" (I really just hate the whole concept of flankers - good scents stand alone in my book). Instead, they have created a couple of beautiful but very different renditions of the original, in the same spirit but leaving the original to sit on her throne unfettered. Chanel really knows what they're doing - I really hope it stays that way. I think Mademoiselle Coco would approve.

NewYorkLady2015
NewYorkLady2015

It's so sad but I just can't love this one. I am a huuuge Chanel fan and this fragrance is very well made. The citrus freshness in the beginning in combination with the classic No.5 DNA makes it special but there is something in the dry down that just doesn't work for me. Probably the musk which usually gets amplified a lot on my skin. I really wanted to make this my new signature and I tried so many times...Sorry, L'Eau is a wonderful fragrance but unfortunately not for me :-/

Contessa01
Contessa01

I'm so excited to have this! I just love love love it! I had to wait as it's been sold out in my area. It's such a beautiful more citrusy take on number 5. I feel like Marilyn wearing it. I think she would love this version. I think it's better than premiere. Simply beautiful. Get it!

aschiffm
aschiffm

wow! pleasantly surprised with this one. I gravitate towards "vintage smelling" scents and this is just that - it's sophisticated, elegant/womanly and has just the right amount of buoyancy, it even smells a bit animalic on my skin (i assume its the warm musk with a bit of citrus). drydown is the usual chanel powder.

This is drop dead sexy in my opinion. My boyfriend really liked the scent on me too. (i'm 30/female). The original is old news ;)

desireejake.1
desireejake.1

I wanted to love this new chanel no . 5 but no matter how much i tried to(really tried so hard, used it at night, daytime even mid day.) I can't deny that i dislike this scent..it was a disappointment though because i want this so bad i put it on my wishlist and my brother got this for me this Christmas. It smells like soap, not even those fancy soap. This smells like detergent gone wrong. I love chanel (in fact i have the coco mademoiselle edp and noir) but this is truly a disappointment.

eyeneedles
eyeneedles

I love it. I might be the only one but I consistently feel a strong and lovely liqourice note in this along with the citrus and white floral notes.

raiza1990
raiza1990

I don't know why i keep testing Chanel fragrances. None of them works for me.
The opening of this one smells like expensive dish soap. Maybe rich people wash their glasses with something like this? anyway, very sharp,not nice.
Later on,it gets a bit better, i can smell the flowers and the abrasive notes are gone.
Still, i think it smells dated. I can't picture a millennial wearing it. For me, this would be a good perfume for a young lady in the 20's.

Smucci
Smucci

Smells like a department store. Not a department store perfume but the store itself. A lot of lemon in the beginning and then pure department store. Dreadful. I wish chanel would make something that smells more like the vintage version of the parfum.

énigme

As for my actual review.. as I said I love this! It's funny because when I first received samples from my lovely Chanel counter ladies before it launched I wasn't amazed with it. I didn't hate it but there also wasn't anything special about it to me as it reminded me of the Eau De Toilette of the original or the other flanker Eau Premiere. But I had already put it on so I was like "whatever" and kind of forgot all about it. About an hour later I got a whiff of it and it transformed into this addictive fresher lighter blend of the original. Normally I don't like citrusy fragrances because I don't care for the acidic feel.. but this is amazing and definitely far from acidic. Even my boyfriend commented on how great I smell and even though he always says that.. he mentions it every time I put No.5 L'eau on. That's not something he does very often w/ other fragrances.. especially since he likes the typical fragrances most straight men love that are sweeter based. I don't know what's in this stuff or if it just transforms w/ my body chemistry but there's this addictive quality to it while at the same time not screaming "look at me!". I joke to my boyfriend that it almost puts him under a spell with the way he reacts hahah. He actually ended up buying the 3.4oz bottle as a Christmas gift for me so I've been pretty much wearing this one constantly out of everything from my collection. This fragrance is very well balanced. Not too much of anything. It's also very versatile. I'm 21 years old and can see all ages wearing this espeically millennials who can't wear the original. It's casual yet at the same time sophisticated. Can be worn day or night. Year round.. although I can imagine this being especially amazing during warmer seasons. Incredibly well done.

énigme

I seriously love this fragrance but feel the need to say this since everyone has mixed reviews towards it. I personally feel like the main reason this fragrance is getting bashed is because people are comparing it too much to the original No.5 yet forgetting the fact it's suppose to be different and lighter for millennials to enjoy No.5 in a new way. I think Olivier Polge did a fantastic job recreating the original so that the legacy of No.5 lives on. Now this is coming from someone who loves the original.. but just like many other millennials I feel it's nearly impossible to wear the original. It almost has a way of wearing you. Which I can see how women decades ago would be able to easily wear the original rather then it wearing them because the times then were much more structured. But we live in a day and age where things have evolved greatly and continue to evolve. Millennials are more laid back and care free then the way things were then. They want a fragrance they can enjoy and feel goes with their persona. It's a fact that even though the original No.5 is still widely known its typically one of those fragrances that people buy but don't use and mainly for the reasons I listed here. So it only makes sense that No.5 be lightened, fresher, care free, and still keep its DNA all at the same time. When you really stop to think about it... it's been done perfectly. I can understand why a lot of long time fans of the original No.5 would be disappointed in this fragrance.. but keep in mind.. it wasn't created or intended to be directed to the same audience the original has always had, but instead a new audience that had trouble enjoying the original. Also keep in mind the difference between the millennial generation vs generation z. Millennial's are in their 20's as of now which makes sense why they created a No.5 for them because most people in their 20's begin to have a higher appreciation for fragrance. So why not take on such an iconic legacy in a more fresher modern feel?

mi55anthr0py
mi55anthr0py

I talked my poor DH into braving the ridiculous crowds at our local mall on Xmas Eve to pop into Macy's to sample this, as I knew they'd have it in stock. I opted to "put skin in the game" as a particular Fragrantican aptly puts it; I sprayed a generous dose on the back of my left hand/wrist, then did the same with Eau Premiere on my right, for comparison.

My verdict, after wearing and experiencing the fragrance for the space of several hours: it's definitely a new L'Eau for Chanel.

[email protected]
nellyrlight@aol.com

Divine..Divine..Divine! Thanks to my wonderful husband!!!!

For The Love of Perfume
For The Love of Perfume

Hey Marco....is that such a bad thing????? I think it smells great!! :)

marco_m
marco_m

They can push the youth angle as much as they want, it won't stop this stuff from smelling like hotel soap

bushonka
bushonka

I was hoping that this will be my Chanel No.5, but all I could smell... is Nivea cream on my skin. It's not bad... but I expected more. Weak performance in terms of longevity and projection, and the price tag it's not justified.

Majda16
Majda16

This is a much nicer and more modern version of the original No 5. It is stil very sofisticated. It definetley has this No 5 vibe, but the added citrus makes it contemporary. Although I am not a huge fan of citrusy perfumes, I actually liked this. Or more precisely, this one hour, which is how long the perfume lasted on me. Unfortunately.

La DameDeNoir

Yesterday I was given to test it again.

Perhaps is not as bad as I thought in a first moment, but I am still thinking this is just a watered down version of the original Nº 5. The most prominent notes to my nose are some apathetic aldehydes, which don't know well where to go, a bored lemon (which is not actually bad, but which has been done to the point of nausea), a surly ylang-ylang and some white musks quite innocuous.

The sillage and lasting power are good for an eau de cologne, but hardly acceptable for a perfume which costs about 80€.

For aldehydic fragances, I stick to the original Nº 5, or better, its spiritual sons, Estée Lauder's White Linen or, even better, Estée.

Smelling this new Chanel No.5 L'Eau takes me straight back to the days when I used to wear the older formulation of Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere. I find many similarities between these two Chanel No.5 flankers.

Chanel No.5 L'Eau is nowhere near as heavy as the original powder-bomb that is Chanel No.5 EDP. It's a softer, more citrusy take on the original with a touch more floral sweetness. Although admittedly the original Chanel No.5 agrees with my chemistry, I have always preferred the sheer, more Summer appropriate flankers and found them much easier to wear. I wore Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere a lot throughout my early twenties, and I would go so far to say that Chanel No.5 L'Eau has a similar youthful appeal.

I can detect many citrus notes in this composition, from the top notes to the base notes. Lemon and orange peel dominates much of the scent pyramid, followed by sparkling aldehydic accords and sweet, somewhat tropical ylang ylang and jasmine.

For Spring and Summer Chanel No.5 L'Eau is just about perfect. However unfortunately the sillage is not as bold as I had hoped. This flanker has barely any throw, and for that reason alone I still prefer the old formulation of Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere.

Kon-nos91

Although I did a review before, now it would be more fair/accurate as I bought it. Before I begin, I just can't mention how classy Chanel perfumes are. Ideal for business type of dates/mood/attitude.

From classics like No.5 to freshest Chance Eau Tendre, both and all the perfumes of the house share the same 'DNA of class'. Let's concentrate to newest add of No.5 family, L'eau. It's exactly what the ad says: You know me and you don't! It couldn't be more true. It really reminds me of my aunt's No.5 EDP edition that I used to hate and sorry, I still do, BUT...it has a touch of modern.

It's like their trying to attract younger crowds to such a signature and respected perfume due to it's history.
From my point of you, it could be No.5's body spray but it's sillage isn't that soft. Lasting power is great though. So what do we have? A huge citric orchestra that is a bit harsh and slightly chemical due to aldehydes, a woody/musky base (till here if we exclude animalic EDP's character and it's huge granny type of opening we have the same juice) and if you're patient enough, a vanilla will come soon to give that youth/new/modern tone.

If L'eau would be a color, it would definitely be white. A white soft loose shirt waving from air under summer's morning sun. I guess people will think it's a summer's perfume because of it's EDT composition and less dynamic No.5 but it works so nice in cool weather. 5 keywords: transparent, citric, modern, classy, serious.

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

Opens with a gorgeous, glorious lemony-aldehydic burst, warms up with just a touch of the 'powder' that I cherish from No. 5 Eau de Toilette, and then disappears so fast! What happened? I went back for a third sniff of my inner arm and it was gone!

Missisjoker
Missisjoker

It is a watered down version of the Chanel N5 parfume. I hated the original (smelled old and nasty to me), this one is much more bearable- fresher and lighter. However, it does not have the longevity, disappears almost instantly (perhaps because it is so light, it just gets drowned by other smells).

gabriel.villa
gabriel.villa

Well, for starters, I must say that N° 5 is one of my all time favorites and I had great expectations on this new L'Eau perfume. I was a little skeptical, though. Not only because there is already a modernized version of the classic, which would be N° 5 Eau Première, and not only because it's already great, but because N° 5 is a wonderful fragrance and should be respected.

That said, I did not like N° 5 L'Eau. It has practically zero conexion with the perfume 'mother', smells much more like some Chance flanker (a little like the Eau Vive perfume, by the way). I think there was so much more that could be done with a L'Eau version for N° 5, released in 2016, and it did not deliver.

To me, the fragrance starts off very floral, with mostly roses covered in musks. It sounds nice but there's also some citrus notes with something slightly artificial and dry, and the perfume basicly only dries to a woodier (and bland) base. Nothing else happens, really, it's just slightly floral, citrus-fruity, fresh and nice. Not Chanel N° 5 at all, not powder, not iris... just not what it could have been.

Doesn't last that much on the skin either, doesn't project enough, it's so soft that after 30 minutes I have to sniff directly on my skin to smell it, and it's almost gone in some three hours. Very hard to pick up, very fleeting.

As I said, not Chanel N° 5 enough to me. I will definitely stick to the other versions of the fragrance, and to Eau Première if you want a 'nicer' version of N° 5. As for L'Eau, well... it was all about a good advertising campaign. If they had invested in the fragrance, not only in its marketing...

kl99
kl99

This is actually look more the modern version of Nocturne de Caron than Chanel n 5. Great. Very iperlemony reminds me also Laine de Verre in that almost glass-detergent side. Aldehydes are tamed by lemon.
Well done.
It is not a diluition of n5. Or a sort of openmarket cheap copy of n° 5 which eau premiere a bit was.
Lovely. Architectural.

Remind me also Via Condotti by Lancetti vintage. For that aldeyd sandal/iris fresch aspect.

henri345que
henri345que

We live in a society where the speed of the technological transformations and the advances that they have given us affected the speed as we consume as well as the requirement for the new. And this is certainly reflected in the constant need for brands to repaginate their classics in order to dialogue with new generations and new tastes. It's quite a challenge finding the balance between heritage preservation and dialogue with new consumers. I think in that sense the Chanel brand is an interesting case study with its new flanker, Chanel No 5 L'Eau.

How to translate a multifaceted, abstract, and rich perfume like No 5 to a generation that barely manages to focus on something for more than 30 minutes? The answer found by the house, in my view, was to horizontalize the olfactory elements that make up the signature of No 5 L'Eau and give them a better brightness and focus. It is an approach that if you analyze carefully you notice that it's executed with a foot in the tradition and conservatism and a foot in the contemporary tendencies of linearity in the evolution of the fragrance.

Regardless of the "Instagram" effect on the details of Chanel No 5 L'Eau, the smoothing of its "aging wrinkles", it was not deformed to the point of becoming unrecognizable. You can find the brightness of the aldehydes , the citrus of a more classic appeal, the powdery tone of the ionones and even the rich floral bouquet can be perceived in a more careful study of its smell. Without much attention, however, what is perceived is a citrus, floral and luminous aura of No 5 L'Eau that ends in a cleaner and more functional soft-chic musks that can be quickly perceived in the skin. It is a transparent perfume as its propaganda promises but sophisticated and retro in its "modernity".

It is true that this care of the brand with its patrimony yielded a beautiful result, but at the same time when I think about the target audience that they wanted to achieve I wonder how successful they will be. Perhaps a touch of ethil maltol and fruity tones could make it more youthful - but the difficult thing is to do this without scandalizing the most faithful and older users of the fragrance.

camilla15
camilla15

I was never a huge fan of the Chanel No5 fragrance and the line following it. Whenever I went into sephora I would always try to give the No5 a chance, because I felt that I was forced to enjoy it because of its praise and the constant remarks if it being classic and beautiful. But I always found No5 as very powdery, both on the skin and in the bottle, and I am not a huge fan of powdery fragrances. I always smelled it as bug spray, with a sense of very artificial citrus smell, which is very unlike the citrus smells from D&G light blue, which is one of my favorites. Before I saw the perfume was released, I saw the notes of it as citrus and I knew I was always a fan of citrus in perfumes. So I had high expectations of this perfume, and when I entered Sephora and saw the display and smelled it, I expected it to be amazing. I should of known from the start even before I read the notes that I was not going to like it because I knew that I was never a fan of No5 and the line behind it, but I assumed it was going to be a special exception. It smelled like No5 but a little bit more sweeter, with a hint of sultry on it. Not my favorite for sure. I hope this is a perfume that I will enjoy as I age, because I am still young and building up my collection of fragrances, I will hope in the future to appreciate Chanel's classic line of fragrances and understand their beauty and complexity behind it. But now isn't the time.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Chanel No 5 L'Eau opens with plenty of orange, which sticks around instead of simply disappearing after the opening. The florals are light and not very distinctive and the luscious sandalwood is nowhere to be found. The aldehydes murmur instead of screech. Eventually, a light, powdery iris shows up and saves the show; the perfume starts making sense. The dry down isn’t a generic aquatic musk—it's that beautiful trademark iris.

CatherineB9
CatherineB9

I don't see much difference with Eau Premiere. But L'Eau does not have any longevity. It's a very toned down version of No 5, good for a young lady in her 20s...I think Les Exclusifs de Chanel has much more interesting fragrances!

floralfragrance
floralfragrance

I think that perfumes always have a message even if it wasn't intended. And not every message is for everyone. No 5 was a powerful fragrance that is fit for glamour and it represented the first 'I'm clean and sexy at the same time' message. This is its granddaughter, if Marilyn is no 5 this is Lily Rose. She's young, airy and pale. You can't expect her to have as much experience of the world as no 5. For me , it's undoubtedly chanel and very classy, especially when compared to the contemporary releases. She is not Marilyn, but she has the same blood and beauty, living in another world. Clean, fresh, crisp,elegant. In a way, it's a 'cool' fragrance. Not trying to seduce wit warmth. Just the beauty of heritage. It is what I expected from it to be.

no-fi
no-fi

A bright, refreshing citrus scent that bears very little relation to the original No 5. Its nearer relative would be Bleu de Chanel, but without the beguiling incense note. Mainstream, safe and ultimately forgettable.

If you want a lighter take on No 5, stick with Eau Premiere.

COSMICSCENTS

To me smells exactly as Eau Premiere.

jedimermaid
jedimermaid

I suppose I could understand why some people may really like this, but to me, it smells like someone wiped a metal pole down with baby wipes and let it dry in the dusty sun.
It let me down. Hopefully it will fare better on others.

Mirabele
Mirabele

I just got this as an unexpected present form my partner and i love it! He is not normally the type who gives lots of gifts, but this time he went on a splurge for me. I have no idea how he remembered the name, I have barely mentioned once that I dislike No5 but the new version was something I would consider. There are so many versions and so many similar bottles that I never expected him to remember the name and to pick the correct bottle and not least, to buy a scent that expensive. This is way out of my personal budget and I normally avoid testing expensive scents, just not to make too much trouble for myself in case I fall in love and want a bottle that is too expensive.
I just barely sniffed this one from a bottle in a story and decided I liked it, I am a bit reluctant to spray any Chanel at the stores, because they are often strong and long lasting and give me headaches. So you can imagine I was a bit afraid to test this when I got it as a gift, in case it would be strong and super long lasting, and I really hate having headaches.
There was no reason, it turns out. I sprayed it lightly next morning and what a pleasure. A lovely modern light citrus opening. I am not normally a fan of citrusy scents, because they are either too sweet or too aquatic or too sporty/energetic and I am not the type. This was a loveliest Chanel citrus but oh so soft. Later it settles into something that is vaguely reminiscent of No5 but in much more softer and much more modern version. I really love it. It is soft, delicate, happy scent. More suitable for summer but very versatile. This is not a special occasions scent, this is everyday scent. Very elegant at the same time. I found myself wanting to wear prettier clothes that day I wore it for the first time. I seldom feel impressed by any scent these days, after testing hundreds and experienced so much disappointments, I had given up hope of finding something that make me feel that good. This was the scent that made me inhale deeply and feel good about myself in my whole body.
Well I am not very familiar with No5, I have never owned it, only smelled from bottles in the stores, but I can say, it isn’t my taste. Many Chanels are very strong and long lasting and while I like some, I can not wear these, because they may give me migraines and headaches.
The reason this one gets many bad reviews here, I believe, it is because it is soft, tender and not long lasting. There are many members here who enjoy strong long lasting scents, and everything else gets not so much attention, but I recomend that you test yourself. The scent itself is very pretty, happy and modern. It is different from original No5 (not so sure about Premierre, not familiar well with that one) but if you like No5 and find it too strong, too soapy too much of anything, try this one. it is modern interpretation of classic. It is l’eau for god’s sake, it is supposed to be light. Definitely for soft scent lovers. World has enough strong perfumes. Finally a scent we can spray without worrying that it will be too heavy.
EDIT: i wore it non stop for a few days and can say, the longevity is really poor.

arwa hussein
arwa hussein

new old school together wow i just love it
it is really smell expensive and the dry down is just soft wow love it

AdeleEu
AdeleEu

I tried this one few times and it smells so bad on me! Like old, spoiled perfumes! My body chemistry makes scents much more sharp or even manly I would say and L'eau is definitely not working for me.

rushrocker
rushrocker

This is too overly citric and powdery-floral for me. It certainly has a more mature vibe to it. I imagine on a woman's skin it would smell far better.

xclairabellax
xclairabellax

No 5 L`eau is exactly what I have been waiting for......

I have pretty much the whole female range of chanel, my first love being coco mademoiselle which was my signature for years. Unfortunately it become too popular and copied.

As ive gotten older ive become more adventurous and more often choosing less safe options. However......the original No 5 is still too much for me and although I enjoy dabbing it on a scarf to smell around the house I never actually wear it.

Since Coco Noir ive been left wanting, Chance Eau Vive didnt inspire me unfortunately but...... finally!! A lighter fresher version of the classic that is the ultimate legend of fragrances!!

It was love at first sniff, and my wonderful partner has just bought it for me as a gift :D

Chanel have hit the nail on the head with this one, the perfect blend of No 5 for a younger woman who craves the sophistication and refined quality of a scent that only Chanel can deliver!

I feel chic and special wearing this, I feel classy and different from other women around me and like I would be remembered for my scent, surely my new signature......the one ive been waiting for all these years :D

ClaudiaA1
ClaudiaA1

Tested this one yesterday, without looking at the notes. I initially was under the impression that this would be a much lighter version of the original, but comparing them side by side, I feel they are almost completely different. While, for the first half an hour, they were quite similar, as in L'Eau seemed to be the drydown of the EDP, the rest of the 5 hours were just a blend of citrus for me. At the end, L'Eau started to remind me of other fragrances I have tried in the past, which just makes this one unimpressive. Don't get me wrong, it is perfect for the younger generation, as it is a lively, sparkly fragrance. Also, appropriate for school, as it is not overpowering at all.

freddinos
freddinos

Glorious opening. Beautiful, sparkly, familiar aldehydic burst with a fresh twist that makes it smell somehow 'new' yet old school and unmistakably chic.
Unfortunately this is where it all ends for me as it lasts for less than an hour. I used all my 2 ml carded sample in one go and an hour later there was no trace of a smell on me or my clothes/hair.
Chanel No 5 L'eau's current ad motto is 'You know me and you don't' but I guess they should update it to 'You smell me and you don't' - it truly underperforms in silage and longevity.

arrode
arrode

So, so nice. It opens very similar to Chanel No 5 with a blast of aldehydes that eventually dies down to a sweet floral. It seems light on my skin, but deceptively so because I keep getting whiffs of it now hours later. Lovely!

nightcutter
nightcutter

Not impressed. This is a thin, watery and lemony take on the original. It performs very badly too, I can't smell it after two hours.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

I hated the original No5, so I'm shocked to discover that I love this! Aldehydes are a tricky note for me so it's really special when they're done right for my skin. This scent is light, sparkling even. There's just a hint of citrus over sweet florals (notably ylang ylang). It's slightly soapy and smells clean, flirty, and girly while still being classy! I don't know how much I'd wear it in the winter but I may go get a bottle for the warmer months!
Props to the Chanel rep at Nordstrom--I went in to sniff Allure and she hit it out of the park by steering me toward this scent instead. I know that's not really relevant, but I love a sales rep that actually knows how to make a good recommendation.

Matt Abdul
Matt Abdul

I was so excited when I tried the sample of this. A new flankers under the same wings of one legendary perfume Chanel No.5.

It's extremely light to my opinion, it's good but not as good her Eau Premiere cousin.

I love it for its lightness but the drydown is a little bit disappointing for me. As we all know that powderiness & smooth creaminess is what makes the Eau Premiere popular.

But this instead of powderiness & creaminess. It's powderiness & sour. Powdery & smooth creamy notes is my favorite. But powdery & sour notes is just not something I would love.

So it is clearer for me now that, if I want to proceed with No.5 but with modern twist. It will be Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere definitely.

spinderella
spinderella

This is the first no.5 reincarnation I like. Chanel has taken the old lady out of the scent. I know the Original has an almost sacred status by parfumistas, but I can't stand the smell of it. The l'eau is light and airy, and on my skin it stays a long time. Close by the skin, fresh and not overwhelming. Just the way I like my perfumes. I am going to buy a huge bottle of it :-).

emilianods75
emilianods75

Nice, lovely, young but after 2 hours is completely gone!!! :(

Old Herbaceous
Old Herbaceous

I sprayed this on the inside of my elbow earlier today. It smelled very nice, light but recognizably an offspring of Chanel No. 5. Six hours later, my elbow still smells very nice and L'Eau is even more recognizably No. 5 in the drydown. My mother wore the original No. 5 and I associate that very strongly with her, so it's unlikely I would start wearing it. I myself have discovered and love No. 5 Eau Premiere. I do like L'Eau but I can see it appealing even more to one of my daughters, and I would love it on them. Three generations of Chanel No. 5 -- I think that's something to applaud.

Sweetfragrance
Sweetfragrance

Finally a no. 5 that I can enjoy, I tried and tried to like the original, and the premier but they were just too powdery for me to enjoy, this I enjoyed! My top want at the moment.

nathalie87
nathalie87

Ok... so we have no.5 wich has great staying power and sillage. And some of you are complaining about these two things in this fragrance, you also say that it is great that it has the no.5 base. Why do you buy this? Or even try it? It is called l'eau! Dosen't that ring a bell? ? Why don't you just wear no.5, the original? :-)

Deppaholic

I have of late been on a roller coaster with fragrance, not even caring who or which one it is, just that it would somehow work it's magic on me that day. I've been clinging to a few Guerlain and No 19. As I went to buy the new RED makeup collection at the Chanel counter, I saw the sample, and sprayed my wrist, um, nice....it was doing it's job for "me". I then sprayed with abandon, sorry shoppers around me :) No it doesn't smell exactly like 5, or 19, or anything. I loathe, anything fruity on me. This somehow matches something in my spirit. Which has been through a lot these past few years. I bought a fb, and I will agree, it doesn't last forever, what does, only those ones that I cannot wear anymore, or sadly have been miscombopuated. If that's a word :) Anyways, this is a good everyday scent, me, because I was using a Guerlain discontinued one, and worry every time I use it, that once it's gone, it's gone. So for Christmas I am asking for a bottle of this, and world peace. Happy sniffing and wonderful smelling. Give it a whirl if you can. I would strongly advise staying away from Chanel on Ebay. My daughter just said yes yes mom, that is you, that is how you smell. I said, I have a new fragrance on, she says, well, it's you :) I like it, it's different, and I am terribly bored with many other fragrances I have. Chanel never lets me down.

meow_83
meow_83

I'm a millennial (83 - early model) so my judgment may be clouded. I really like No 5 L'Eau! I tested it throughout a three-day weekend outdoors where my wardrobe consisted of a flannel shirt and jeans. L'Eau had me feeling as polished and sunny as possible when dressed like a lumberjack!

No 5 L'Eau starts with citrus as potent as freshly peeled orange and lemon skins, along with plenty of aldehydes. On my first wear, it stayed fresh for at least three hours before I caught a whiff of white flowers over a light musky base. L'Eau has just enough sillage that I can't call it a skin scent.

I wouldn't have guessed that L'Eau was a spinoff of No 5, and I don't think it matters. I'm glad to have a bright, citrusy Chanel available for those casual days when any Chanel with more oomph would seem out of place. Maybe this should have been marketed simply as Chanel L'Eau. I can see it functioning as the cologne of my Chanel range. I bet it's superb for layering!

Now...if you ask me...I think Chanel Chance Eau Tendre with its pink fruitiness was the perfume meant to lure in the millennials. I like it, but it's another perfume I'd grab on a more casual day. Unless trends are changing, I don't think something as airy as No 5 L'Eau will catch on with the under 25 crowd. Because it won't become ubiquitous, I want it more.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

Good God, no. What are they doing to Chanel? No one should pay for this watered down ghost-like scent. It dries down to something so generic and sad. I have a feeling this will be discontinued eventually. They're trying to lure the 16-25 year old's to buy Chanel perfume, but women with money (and better taste) tend to be 25-65--and older.

[email protected]
nellyrlight@aol.com

I tested it and it's divine..It will be my Christmas gift!

Nicole79

The Premier version it's so much better, more complex more Chanel !

Nicole79

Very very light amd weak watery version! Where is the sillage , the lasting power !? Gone after 2-3 hours☹

jolantuk
jolantuk

I own both versions of Eau Premiere (2007 and 2015)and I just cant simply imagine myself without it in the summer. And both is mine light, soft summer fragrances, but the staying power is excellent. This is even more lighter then mentioned above, more transparent - I cant barely smell it on myself after half an hour. It is not only lacks staying power, but they also didn`t left any character to it, so why do you need perfume without charizma?

mapache
mapache

Boy, am I glad I LOST the ebay auction of this one that I was bidding on....blind buy. I sniffed it in person today at Sephora.....MEH !!! If someone sprayed it on me with my eyes closed, then they told me it was CHANEL, I would say "ARE you serious, no way !!!. Generic is putting mildly. Now, I am not too keen on sniffing the Premiere version .....and I have read not so good reviews on BOY, the new one. Chanel, what are you trying to do???

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

Well it has the same vibe as the original, but missing that musty Civet note of the classic.

Biggest most notable thing.... it's a Blast of Grapefruit skins. On top of No.5, that's what to expect. More modernized for a newer generation i guess. Not quite as long lasting as their usual fare.
It's a lot safer now though, not as fusty powdery like some of you may remember.
The citrus is just too obvious.... Chanel didn't want No.5 to smell "like" anything at all. It was intentionally synthetic.

celebrity89
celebrity89

I prefer the original with it's muted softness. This has a hyper-floral note that Elizabeth Arden would put out.

iMaverick
iMaverick

A more luminous and transparent version of Eau Premiere to my nose, which continuously leaves me feeling or wondering if this is really No. 5 or NOT No. 5. I say it is a futile project to try and reinterpret the original and create a modern marvel. I say DON'T. Create a wonderful successor to No. 5 but don't reinterpret it to capture an audience that want in on No. 5's mystery. Either you love No. 5 or you don't...simple as that.

Here's a project for you, M. Polge. See if can work on the original's longevity.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

I've come a Looong way with chanel, baby. For a time recently I even went anti-No. 5 -- after years of devotion to the brand in general. Once I finally surrenedered and bought a bottle of both the edt and eau de parfum still wondered how I Really felt about No. 5. Was I a victim of the World's most enduring and best-selling fragrance hype? I bought literally hundreds of bottles of perfume to see just how far away from the chanel brand I could get and how long I could stay away from chanel.

Somehow, No. 5 L'Eau shattered all my resistance and answered all my questions. Maybe Jennifer Lopez helped? Bear with me a moment longer. JLO has a lot of scents which at first I found frustratingly light. It took months to appreciate and even smell her fragrances on me. When I did, however, a very powerful appreciation for a light skin scent really won me and took a place right alongside my "preferred" powerhouse, 80s collection.

No. 5 L'Eau immediately got me to have an A-HA moment with the various flankers. I felt here is the essence of No. 5, stripped down and bare.. unlike anything else I wear. No issue with longevity, etc .. instead my true love for this formula was revealed. Even ordered Eau Premiere now that it is clear my love for this scent isn't at all about the mad hype of sacred cow, icon status of No. 5 .. I just love it more than any other fragrance and can see myself layering them as well as wearing them all independently of each other.

L'Eau is great on its own and really made some other non-chanel fumes really shine when sprayed hours later.
The No. 5 L'Eau Is There .. even if my nose gets used to it. Chanel is an investment for sure. Finally the votes are all cast and chanel is back at the top of my perfume pyramid .. and it has precious little to do with any associated status. This is just the Rolls Royce of my favorite group, Floral Aldehydes.

Here is the spirit of No. 5 and even the notes matter nothing and not to me. I delight in the overall effect. Forgive me, but it may also help that I'm a guy. What? Well, one huge criticism of No. 5 is its popularity and some women feel it isn't unique to wear No. 5 anymore? No.5 on a guy? That is still rather uncommon. Hurrah!

snoopyQ
snoopyQ

I like Eau Premiere, this is very citrusy not as aldehydic and a little bland?
Not bad but I think Eau Premiere is better.

EDIT:
Smelled it today again and I have to admit, that it is very pleasant, young and joyful.
A little similar to Burrberry Body with this prominent citrus note in it.
Sillage and longevity are mediocre though.

emilia83
emilia83

I liked this a lot more than No. 5, which I really really want to like and just can't. I thought it was super floral at first, but once it had been on about an hour it started to smell kind of cough syrupy. Not a good scent for me, unfortunately.

LisaMari
LisaMari

Its lighter and sweeter than No5 and so much more wearable but it reminds me more of Boy than No5..
More feminine than Boy but also smells older.. its powdery and very classical, they all share the lemony powdery coolness but this one is the sweeter of the 3.

I was wearing it tonight, and my husband said it smelled like ivory soap, and in fact, it does, a bit...so I don't see the point of wearing a perfume my man doesn't like!!
The Chanel vibe on top of it isn't me, L' Eau is very nice, just realised it won't work for my taste...or my husband' s.

Perfumeaddict777
Perfumeaddict777

Oh my gosh! I love this but im so frustrated with the longevity. So disappointing. I smell it for about 15 minutes before it becomes so close to my skin i have to burry my nose into my arm and really search for it. Maybe it's just me. The scent though is amazing for the time it lasts. Right away i smell bright sweet oranges,lemon, clean aldehydes (this could make an aldeyde hater into a lover), lime ,neroli, ylang ylang, cedar wood and a hint of vanilla. So sophisticated, fresh and sparkling. I don't usually like fresh citrus perfumes and hardly ever like aldehydes but in this it's outstanding. I want this perfume in a stronger long lasting version, if it was it would be in my top ten favorites. Delicious, energizing, makes me feel happy and powerful and then it's gone without a trace.

sofiesu
sofiesu

I adore it but longevity is not great on my unfortunately. I love the original chanel no 5 too but this is much fresher, uplifting and better for everyday use. It starts with strong citrus and settles down to a soapy powdery scent similar to the original edt.

Shwets

I really like this and thought it would be a weaker version of eau premier. But its very similar just less sweeter. The most versatile fragrance ever! Love it.

Just wish it was stronger and more powerful in sillage!

Update - after 3 hours, this is half as strong as Eau Premier (2015) though neither have much sillage.

XSX
XSX

I love the fragrance and how well it delivers what it promises: a modern take on the classic. Crisp, sharp and classy, it has more prominent rose that the original but it's oh so lighter! On my skin, it is gone in two hours tops. Would love it if they amp it up a bit,; this composition with more staying power would be a hit. I wouldn't mind if they released a No 5 L'Eau Intense lol

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

In a world of bad reformulations, they did it. They made a great spin on a classic no.5. Its brighter and lighter but you still smell the No5 DNA. Its a great scent. I came in highly skeptical because of the COCO reformulation..cumin? loss of the opening peach note..really?! It was a sad disaster to the original. But No5 L'eau is worth checking out.

zoranna
zoranna

I have never liked Chanel No.5; it wasn't me. Imagine my suprise to find I adore Eau Premiere. Unfortunately I won't give a full review because it lasts just 15-30 minutes on my skin. It has that distinctive expensive Chanel accord without being cloyiing or heavy, but luminous and modern. Heartbreaking that I can't justify the expense when the longevity and sillage are non existent on me.

deviation
deviation

Starts off citrus and turns into mostly floral but there is fruity notes as well. Smells like a diluted version of other chanels but with no powder. Kinda reminds me of airport or department store smell. Made for younger audience and perfect for spring. But this is chanel and why are they competing with other fruity floral type of scent? How sad!

nebbe
nebbe

I would absolutely drain a bottle of this... so long as it were a gift. Not a great value, but lovely scent.
Fwiw, i love no 5 parfum, edt & eau premiere.

Quick update: am pleasantly surprised by the dry down's longevity! If i had a spare US$100 lying around...someday...

I was gifted a sample in the perfum-shop. This is not for me. Weak, watery, and faint. No Chanel-spirit in sight. I love no 5 Premiere. L'eau - nope.

jag fick ett prov i parfymaffären. Inget för mig. vag, vattnig och blek. Ingen Chanelanda i syne. Jag gillar no 5 Premiere men inte denna.

mamehaviolette
mamehaviolette

This is sooo nice! It is quite similar to the original, it smells like a watered down reformulation. It is quite light, musky and zesty. The aldehydes are still there, but sweetier and creamier. It doesn't smell like the most scents come out these last few years which are targeted to a younger audience, but I think it is so hip! It is a whole representation of the "pretty and pale" tumblr aesthetic. It is fresh, a modern interpretation of something vintage, light, powdery pale, linear and elegant.

Now the only thing that turns me off terribly is the price. 90 Euros for a 50ml bottle of a scent which is so soft and very probably not so long lasting :c it is way too much, I really can't afford it.

I have heard that the EDT of "Nonchalance" by Maurer & Wirtz is quite similar to Chanel No 5 EDT and there is also a cologne of the same scent. I do really hope the "Nonchalance" EDC smells similar to this gorgeous scent!

esteban747
esteban747

New and classic. Powdery yet light and citrus.
A fresh, clean scent with a touch of sweetness and musk.
I actually like it, and I'm a guy. Perhaps because the most obvious image that came to mind was Marilyn laying in bed wrapped in white pristine sheets smelling like this perfume.
It's ultra feminine, no way around, something in it makes it irresistible.

christianne1
christianne1

I am a huge No 5 fan and have a collection of new and vintage from different decades, parfum, EDP, EDT and cologne. I also have Premiere (and a back up bottle). And I absolutely can't wait to add this to my collection! I have no idea why people get so upset over a new fragrance smelling different from the original. I mean, isn't that the whole point? Some people like variety! And different doesn't mean "bad". This fragrance is far from bad, it's excellent and I'm utterly addicted to the scent already. It's light and bright...cheerful and is like happiness in a bottle! I have no idea why all the gloom and doom about this wonderful fragrance.

This flanker bashing is so old for me. Not everyone likes the same thing and flankers are very often the stepping stone to get people to try the classic version. And if they don't, that's fine also! Just because I like something, I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way. These companies are in business to please customers. If customers don't like L'eau, they will stop making it. But something tells me that won't happen anytime soon. It's a wonderful fragrance. No longevity issues for me either. I could still smell it on me this morning. I love it and will be buying the largest bottle they have! Even though I have 20 bottles of Chanel No 5 already. There is just something about this cloud of clean lemony unisex goodness that I can't get enough of. Thumbs up for me!

mshilov

Pale and flat, almost invisible: no color, no character, no longevity, just something reminding of #5 in highly diluted and diminished way. I wonder why those who like this type of watery fragrances would at all take an interest in #5? Beautiful #5 eau de toilette is already "l'eau", comparing to #5 parfum. And with the "modern approach" we just lose the very essence of this perfume. It's sad that Olivier Polge had to do this kind of job instead of making something what could be worthy of mademoiselle Chanel heritage.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

I'll make it short: all the worst taken out of Chanel 5, only diluted by 10 times.

OK, to be more specific: in Chanel 5 there are some great powdery and bitter aldehydic notes. Here only sweet aldehydes are left, mixed with sickening ylang-ylang and a delicate hint of sweet citrusses, all there things being completely watered down. Actually, this scent smells like an empty Chanel 5 bottle that was washed in some citrus-smelling dishwashing liquid.
On the contrary, Eau Premiere gets the best of Chanel 5! If the aim of L'Eau was to produce the opposite of Eau Premiere but equally delicate, then the aim has been achieved perfectly!

Sailor Pluto

I agree that n.5 body lotion is better than all the different iterations of the perfumes/eau de toilette.

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Tested it on Saturday.
I wasn't biased, I wanted to like it for SOME reason.
And- Ok, this is useless.

Eau Premiere (the first edition) was fine accomplishing that "silver" No5 feel, replacing the thicker "golden-juice" original.

But this. This is just too light, non existent on my skin after (half???) an hour, a whiff of No5 that smells more like an light watery body spray, a cologne inspired by it.

I can't say I detected any special notes making this interesting in a new way. Maybe the work of the perfumer is too subtle for my nose.

My personal favourite of the No5 line is the EDP-matching Body Lotion. Just the lotion, is the perfect skin scent. The EDP is not as pleasantly wearable for me. The EDT is different, too astringent, missing some tenderness. The Body Lotion ( worn instead of perfume)is very intense and just wonderful, the exact femminine No5 experience for me.

Ditta70
Ditta70

A Mrs. Slocombe would put it: Weak as water! Weak as water!

Pity, cause it is wonderful, but does not last at all. Gone in an hour.

szilvihorv
szilvihorv

I love the No.5 EDP and Eau Premiere, so I was hoping to love L'Eau too. It opens citrusy and aldehydic, and it's quite similar to my EDP made in 2015, but the dry down is to die for! Wonderful sweet, powdery scent, and I prefer it so much more than the other editions. I love sweet scents. But Chanel didn't let me enjoy it for more than an hour. Literally an hour after spraying it, it was almost gone from my skin. And tested it prepared, spayed generously on my wrist. I'm a it disappointed. I was prepared to buy it, but it's so weak it's not worth the price at all - and usually I'm not one to complain about weak performances. So sorry.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

" ... a light and fresh interpretation of the sophisticated original ..."

Translation: another timeless classic sacrificed on the altar of the 'Light and Fresh' Mediocrity.

Oh, the unbearable lightness of modern fragrances.

eyefortheshiny
eyefortheshiny

I was interested to try this out as I love Chanel fragrances, and alternate between Chanel No.5 for Autumn/Winter and Coco Mademoiselle for Spring/Summer. I grabbed a sample from the department store and after testing it for a few days, I am definitely going to add this to my rotation! Dare I say it, but I think I may like it even more than Coco Mademoiselle! I think that it was risky making changes to a classic, one that I love dearly, but I think they succeeded. L'Eau at first spray has traces of the classic, but after that there is no comparison at all, at least for me, and it develops into it's own fresh, pretty, light scent. If I was going to compare it, I'd say it's a mix between No.5 at first spray, No.19 and No.22 afterwards and L'Eau at dry down.

I'm not too sure if this fragrance will appeal to devoted No.5 fans, as to me, there aren't too many similarities. So I think if interested, you should approach this fragrance as a stand alone, and not go in judging it against No.5 as you may be disappointed.

I think this is a great fragrance for Spring/Summer, is not overpowering or cloying, but fresh, pretty and carefree. Definitely one I will be reaching for once I add it to my collection!

taboo2287
taboo2287

it was a blind buy, i was so excited but when i sprayed it i was so disappointed! smells exactly like eau premier, why chanel insist on disapointing their loyal customers??? longetivity is less than 2 hours! so not worth the money, ladies get eau premier (the old tall bottle) smells better and a better lasting and projection.

Empa
Empa

I bought it two weeks ago and Im totally in love. It is a soft, delicate and luxury scent. This new Chanel 5 works perfect on my skin - it stays intimate close. Smells like a warm and sexy décolletage :)

jellybeantree

This is very pretty at first spray and it does have the N°5 signature . Then in turns very fresh and citrusy . Then it disappears on my skin . ....... end of story . All the chance perfumes last much longer and also Eau premier .

Kmam
Kmam

I've sampled this twice now and, frankly, am a bit confused. It opens bright and typically fizzy and dries down smoothly to a pretty, slightly soapy powder.

And then, it vanishes completely to the point where I was getting colleagues to smell me to see if it was really gone or if I'd just lost my mind! The strangest thing for me is that this process takes about half an hour. Quite disappointing, I feel.

Edited to add: I was just reminded reading on Bois de Jasmin about musk anosmia - maybe that's my issue with it after the top notes go? But then one would think that at least some others would be able to smell it too.

shalimaraddict
shalimaraddict

This is a pretty scent that disappears on my skin after 30 minutes. This EDT is the same price as an EDP, why??

WildDove
WildDove

Chanel #5 L'eau is a light, clean, very soapy and transparent version of #5. Great office scent, yet very elegant. Paradoxically fleeting but can pleasantly surprise you again later. I get lovely hints of Chanel #22 in L'eau.

Germany

This is my favourite of all the number 5 's by far , I like the original and I adore premiere ,but I love L'eau for its AIRY Freshness , it's the cleanest and most contemporary of the 3 ,definitely the most modern #5 yet.
It still contains No 5 s Main floral piller, the May Rose, as polge explains but he made it fresher ,cleaner,sweeter and lighter , it's an invigorating scent , I am obsessed with it as one may tell hence my numerous comments and reviews. It is so versatile ,easy to wear , an old classic polished up ,brought up to date , back to life ,, ,what can a girl want more.
I find it suitable for the morning as it is fresh and light and clean , I love it in the afternoon as it is classic and elegant and not overpowering as it settles into a classy skin scent ,,, And I find it cozy and sexy at night !
The winning release of 2016 to me so far along with the much more potent JPG essence. Another masterpiece but more suited for special,occasions ,
L' l'eau as I mentioned is suited for every day. Finally a Chanel 5 version that can be worn any day everyday. That's what appeals to me.

Catnell
Catnell

I think I may be going crazy, but I was shocked at how powdery this Chanel is...which basically ruined it for me. Yet, no one else has commented on it and it's not listed in the description up above. I love the citrus and the overall scent, but the second I sprayed it on me, the powder went straight up my nose and caused me to sneeze, which is why I stay away from any fragrance that has a heavy dose of it. It also takes away from the young aspect in my opinion. If you like citrus and powder, I thought it was quite lovely and definitely evoked the original. Very disappointed that I can't wear it...

Update...so I am not going crazy, just read about seven Sephora reviews that mentioned how powdery this is...pheww. And I must agree about poor longevity and weak sillage. This basically turns into a skin scent almost immediately.

mendosita
mendosita

This is Chanel no 5 Eau Premiere watered down. Nothing more.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

This is very interesting when considered as a statement on what Chanel believes younger perfume buyers want. And it's quite well put together.
The opening is lemon aldehydes reminiscent of eau premiere but slightly less plush and complex. The middle section I can't really smell and indeed I thought it had vanished after thirty minutes but the base came back hours later and was still going strong in the morning.
And what a nice base it was! A woody, almost animalic musk which made me expect to find ambrette in the note pyramid. After that light, clean and sparkling opening, it's almost schizophrenic to have it end up so skanky.
The ending was completely unlike anything I've smelled from Chanel before. Other Chanel musks (Beige and Jersey) tend towards shampoo. This is in a completely different universe. One that I enjoy.
When I can think of an occasion where I want to smell clean and sparkling now and raunchy and musky in eight hours, I'll reach for it.

kstacy
kstacy

I think L'eau is so pretty. L'eau is very classy and so easy to wear. It reminds me of a person who always looks put together without trying to hard. It's sparkly and breezy. Love!!!

vagabondant
vagabondant

Gentle soap water? It's not unique....

dzingunyte
dzingunyte

Indeed you pay for a brand name. You can find so much cheaper scents like that for much less price tag. I noticed that NR.5 vibe in this. But after some 30 minutes it dissappeared. Pass this. Not worth to buy. At least for me.

To irisjetaime:
Disons que les grandes maisons comprennent que les grands classique ne sont pas pour tout le monde!? personnellement j' admire les grands classiques mais je n'aime pas les porter!? L' Eau a de la classe, c' est une version plus Lumineuse, plus comtemporaine, je trouve que la qualité Chanel est la, dans ce parfum!! Bien sûr il existe d' autres marques qui ont des parfums très charmants aussi!! Mais nous sommes en 2016 apres tout !!

tybee
tybee

Coco has been the only Chanel fragrance to appeal to me.That was before I tried No.5 L'eau.

Yesterday while shopping at my favorite fragrance counter, the store had flyers describing No 5 L'Eau, and I thought, "I'll give it a shot." I really wanted to like another Chanel fragrance.

No 5 L'Eau was a pleasant surprise. It is a light, citrus fragrance, and the lemon and orange come out right away. As it dried down, the musk and jasmine joined the mix. While the rose, aldehyde, and ylang-ylang provide the hint of a summer breeze to lift the weight of the mix. I never caught the cedar, and it was so pleasant, I kept sniffing my wrist. This scent lasted on me for 6 hours. This is a very enjoyable summer scent, and I will purchase it when it comes to my store.

Antares811
Antares811

This new EAU is very similar to Eau Premiere, a little less powdery, with aldehydes and a pronounced lemony note in the opening.
It's an elegant, feminine, gentle floral scent.
I like it but the problem is the poor staying power.
I'll try to layer it with Chanel N5 body lotion.

La DameDeNoir

Totally agree with Irisjetaime.

I do not like at all what the great Parisian maisons are becoming. Today, you can find better and more original fragances in some small, new brands. Besides, although some of the flankers are good, coherent, but intelligent twists on the original fragances, most of them (at less today) are truly irrelevant, and serve only to burnt out their orignals.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Pardonnez moi d'avoir la dent dure avec ces Maisons de couture mais je trouve qu'elle en deviennent ridicules de vouloir à tout prix nous faire des dérivés de leurs grands succés.
Je pense à YSL avec Opium, à Chanel avec son n° 5, à Dior avec son Miss Dior, à Gaultier avec son Classique (entre autres).
C'est bon ! On a toutes compris que leurs succès sont mérités avec leur chef d'oeuvre olfactif mais stop maintenant !! On voit qu'elles veulent trop tirer sur la corde du succès !! Leur appât du gain est vraiment flagrant !
Trop de créations tuent la création... J'ironise mais je trouve de plus en plus que les petites maison de parfums sont mille fois plus créatives que ces grosses sociétés (L'Oréal, LVMH ou Kering par ex.)à qui appartiennent ces marques de prestige telles que Dior, Chanel ou YSL !

A La Angel
A La Angel

I'm having a pretty bad fragrance year. Even my beloved Maison CHANEL has failed me. What is to become of me now?

The press brief for L'Eau carried promises of a rose-centric, 'millenial' take on No.5. I am a rose lover (and I am surprised that CHANEL actually doesn't do a proper rose scent yet) and a CHANEL lover, so my body was ready and my wallet was prepared!

As you can imagine, I am more than a little disappointed by what No.5 L'Eau turned out to be. The composition is more citrusy than Eau Premiere, in which I really love that gorgeous lemon sherbet vibe in the drydown. The citrusy accord in L'Eau is more sharp, almost astringent, in a way that makes it verge on sporty. SPORTY!!! As if Chance Eau Fraiche isn't enough of a travesty.

The performance is average for a CHANEL on my skin (they typically give me roughly 5 hours of longevity, with a decent arm's length sillage). As far as the reviews that say it is diluted, I actually think it is an *intentional* watery note. I don't mean watery like oceanic in the style of Cool Water, I mean that vaguely watery watermelon note that was EVERYWHERE in the 90s. L'Eau has that. How do I know? Because calone gives me a headache every time.

All in all, I think L'Eau is a veeeerrrrryyyy distant relative of Eau Premiere's, who herself is only related to the original No.5 by two or three generations. This fragrance would have fitted better with the Chance line, and that is probably why we don't really get along. Colour me disappointed.

Sparkly, light, gentle, truly charming citrus scent. It stole my heart in a split second. It's so well done! It reminds me of citrus Guerlain niche, expensive colognes. I mean similar high quality. What is different? There are aldehydes which can be smelled all the time, but they are really subtle, comparing to the classic Number 5.
People, please don't cry that 'it's diluted'. Actually, most of Number 5 line is overloaded with aldehydes and that is why I could not wear any of them. This one is the first that I can wear. I am so happy about that!
However, I don't understand why Chanel launches it now, in fall 2016. It's perfect spring scent!

Germany

I can't disagree with lily Rose Dep looking too young for a Chanel. You are In fact right ! She is 17 and they could have many other faces that may have looked classier and are a decade older. Good point !
About the actual smell of L'eau , I find it truly beautiful. Like a sheer citrusy water painting of the original. It's just so wonderful and if you spray 4 or more sprayes it does quite last , in a soft way. I love how musky it gets in the end , and it could be that some people can't smell those musks. I have a hard time myself. Anyways the beginning is incredible and I do smell lemon and citrus very strongly. The aldehydes make it classy and classic ! The middle ylang ylang adds floral sweetness and sexiness , and yes the end is faint but sooooooo amazing as I love ceder and musk for its creamy clean sexy combo !
Just my take. I get that everyone feels different and that's okay. Just don't like when people say nasty things about something that's rather quite nice and well put together.

Sailor Pluto

I had such high hopes for this one since it FINALLY HAS LEMON! Unfortunately, I did not smell any lemon in this!It is only strong Ylang-ylang and aldéhydes, not much else. Very similar to Eau Premiere (without the vanilla) and to n.5 EDP (without the rose)but has less longevity. If you have either, I find that this version is not different enough to bother buying. I am not sure I find this any "younger" than the other two.. the Ylang-ylang is kind of old-fashionned...

Well I never really look at the advertising regarding perfumes, sex sells, and Chanel isn't immune to that..but I get what you say....
Yet, Chanel L ' Eau isn't overpriced in my opinion,if you compare it to some niches who sell so so fragrances not worth it for over $200!? there is a definite quality there, and it is called L' Eau, it says it all!!
Premiere wasn't my cup of tea either..but it smells great!!
There need to be scents for every taste, I personnally can't stand No 5.

@Germany and Genny 17

We already have Chanel Nº 5 Eau Première, which is a lighter and more contemporary version of the classic Nº 5 (which, by the way, is not my cup of tea, but deserves certain respect, credits and merit, being one of the first modern perfumes. Sure, it smells dated today, specially for younger people, but think that in 1921 was just the contrary: a very modern and different perfume). And considering the poor sillage and longevity of this Chanel nº 5 L'Eau and the fact this is Chanel, and they are not going to ask precisely a low price for this, I find it outrageous.

Lily-Rose is certainly cute, but the advertising is almost as non-sensical as that absurd commercial of the Nº5 with Brad Pitt. And she looks too young, almost a little girl. I find worrying the current trend of many fashion houses of releasing their new items advertised by extremely young models, teenagers only, but nonetheless strongly sexualized.

Chanel understand we are in 2016, and Chanel no 5 belongs to another era,lEau Is fresh, bright, an easy to wear scent that hints at the masterpiece from the past, with a lighter touch!! L'Eau as the name implies, brings softness, lightness to an old classic...
I am glad Chanel caters to every taste out there,,
Like Germany says, don't dismiss a lighter version,just because it isn't like the original, this is a charming elegant scent..!! You don't have to like it, don't fall into the trap of bashing a younger easier to wear version!?

Martin.91
Martin.91

Smells nice but for me it's just like a little bit softer version of Eau Premiere. Very poor longetivity.

Germany

I must strongly disagree with la damme Denoir. The L'eau version of 5 is extremely well done ,yes a more gentle perfumes as the name L'eau suggests , it's not suppose to be potent but much more wearable as the original. Not everyone loves the strong original number 5. So for people that like the original somewhat but not fully because it's ,let's not kid ourselves ,somewhat dated. Yes iconic , but not for everyone !
The new 5 L'eau is more modern, contemporary and fresher version of the old one. Gives people a chance to enjoy Chanel 5 in a new way ,I applause new versions of older perfumes. , it is 2016 and not everyone wants to wear youth dew , Chanel # 5 or Opium. ,,,,to say people who like the new L'eau 5 have "a cash flash desires" or other name calling is not appropriate .

Anyway extremely well done for what it is suppose to be. And the musky ceder base is soft , yes , but utterly gorgeous ! I actually like that it's soft. And I don't think Lily Rose Dep is embarrassing but very pretty.

La DameDeNoir

Imagine a very diluted (very, very diluted) Chanel Nº 5 with the adition of some drops of Chanel Allure. This is exactly what this Chanel Nº 5 L'Eau is. Another banality aimed to posh milennials with cash and flashy desires. The lasting power and sillage are just a bad taste joke (what on hell is going on with Chanel perfumes? What they have done with Nº 19 has no name): An hour later there is almost no trace of the smell on the paper. The advertising with Lily-Rose Depp is also embarassing: I think that, very soon, Chanel (and other prestige houses) is going to advertise its products with babies.

Very overpriced. Very unremarkable. Very innecesary.

Not a fan of No 5, iconic fragrance known all over the world!! But I enjoy l' Eau..it starts of bright, with aldehydes, but not a slap in the face vintage, it is citrusy, usually I don't care for citrus, but in that case, it softens the aldehydes...overall, it is a real nice creation, and no, this isn't No5, this is l' Eau , so fresher, lighter, the floral notes are shy, I don't quite smell them too much..I had Eau Vive but this is more complex..I find it wearable, and pretty, classy and feminine, the base gets creamy, like a musk and suede combo, but the citrus isn't too far....good qualities for a woman ' s perfume !! It sits discreetly on the skin like a beautiful silk scarf. Would be perfect for all season wear too..
I like it...I don't think though it is one I totally love! It has a vintage vibe...but not oldish
And once again, it is a newer fresher version, not everybody can carry the original, so happy Chanel created a more wearable version !!
I expect some fans of the original to bash l' Eau!! As always!!

magda14012
magda14012

Being fond of several Chanel scents, I was interested in this version of legendary "5". I am afraid it does not have the Chanel vibe, in my opinion. Same case as the latest Chance Vive. It reminds me of 2016 Premiere at the beginning, however, it is flatter, less bubbly and shimmering. It stays close to the skin throughout the 3 hrs I got of a weak projection. Rather inoffensive, safe composition.

Germany

I am really happy with this new Chanel 5 , it's beautiful ,fresh, musky ,clean , elegant and perfect for everyday ,,, it's a like a fresher version of premier , like premier minus the vanilla and it also remind me a lot of 19 poudre without the sour drydown that I sometimes get from poudre. This is just perfect. Like s combo of premier and poudre with a really musky edge. Love the soft drydown and all the musks dancing around me.
Only complaint , it could be a little stronger.
A mixture of elegance and casualness.
Citrus beginning , sensual ylang ylang heart and amazing cedar musk base.
Even my husband , who is not a Chanel fan doesn't mind this one.
,,,also the bottle is very elegant. And the spray works in the continuous way as it does with poudre. Very well made !

MademoiselleMaya
MademoiselleMaya

Not great. Suffocating in summer, with a chemical, medicinal citrusy note that disqualifies the scent. Not much development either, it's just loosing strenght with time. It is similar to Premiere version, but whilst Premiere is a parfume - subtle, chic, refreshing, this one is a loud and cheap wannabe, and that is so not what I expect from Chanel.
This and the earliest Eau Vive share the straight from the lab heavy-handed and cheap quality that tells me that the son is nowhere near his father's league.

carolyn1
carolyn1

I was excited to try the new Chanel No.5 L'Eau at a Myer store in Perth recently but regret to say I wont be purchasing this fragrance. I will stick with my beloved EDT version as this is the best on my skin. The L'Eau version started off as Eau Premiere on me which I am not fond of and within a couple of hours had virtually disappeared off my skin to the point I had to do a sniff test to see if it was still there. I own 4 Chanel fragrances but this wont be another addition.

jmc66

I forgot to add to my comment below, I like the opening of L'eau more but the dry down of Premiere more.

jmc66

Okay, this perfume has me kind of lost. I just can't say I really felt the need for it. Premiere used to advertise itself the same way so I just don't know why they make two versions. I don't think this perfume belongs in the number five family. However I do enjoy this perfume. It opens with a very short lived amazing citrus scent. Unlike the other number fives you can detect individual notes in this one. I wish the citrus stayed longer on me I get it for 10-20 minutes max. It has the classic aldehyde opening that is also much shorter lived in this version. The final dry down is similar to the Premiere but even lighter and more fresh. However it reminds me even less of number five..The projection and lasting time on this is short as well. It has hints of number five but feels like a third Cousin. I do enjoy this though and did buy it. I think thus far i am liking it more than the Premiere, though if you have that one i don't think this is a must since the citrus doesn't even last.

Germany

Bought this today and absolutely love it. It starts with a citrus explosion that is very elegant and Chanel like , very contemporary version of the original. However you can detect Chanel 5 and premier ,it's a very well made flanker to the originals but it's definitely much more modern and wearable. Not that Chanel 5 and premiere aren't wearable , I like them both but I do believe L'eau is more of a crowed pleaser , more appealing to the young and to mainstream crowds yet still satisfying to a true number 5 lover on days they want to be NUDE so to say. The citrus is fresh and sparkly and very very pleasant. The middle base , ylang ylang is sensual and sexy to me ,then the base is ceder and musk which is a combo that I adore , it's in all the Narciso cubes and in some other favourite musky perfumes of mine. I was hoping for a touch more creaminess and a bit of a stronger base , sadly this beautiful perfume isn't very strong , or my nose can't smell the base very well.
I still love it though.
I need to update that you can smell some traces of it in the morning still. So it is long lasting , however not very strong. It's a delicate scent.

anajupiter
anajupiter

I would wear this to a business meeting or a brief conversation with someone I wanted to impress.

Similar to No 5 but with less depth, perfect for my age - mid twenties. It's beautiful. But after an hour it completely disappears. So sad! It was unreal.

Trying to make it out my wrist but I can't. Will follow a reviewer below and spray some on a shirt tomorrow to see if it will last a little longer.

invaderlark
invaderlark

I had a lovely SA at the Chanel counter at Macy's in Eugene spray some of this on a card for me. I was very grateful for her doing so because she says this fragrance won't be released until September 28th. I hate to say it but I don't like this at all. Based on spraying it on a card I can safely say that I do not like this version of No 5. I do not like the EdT formulation and this smells very similar to it, to my nose just stripped back. It's very lemon and ylang ylang heavy. It's funny, to me L'eau is a stripped down EdT and Premiere is like a stripped down EdP. I much prefer the EdP and Premiere due to it's vanilla, sandalwood, and jasmine. They're sweeter and richer. Perhaps I will change my mind when I spray it on the skin. As of now though I will stick to my 2015 Eau Premiere and Eau de Parfum.

Also can we talk about the sprayer?! So amazing! You can hold it down and it does a continuous mist! I love it! I sure hope these are the sprayers that will be on all Chanel perfumes because my god is it nice.

***UPDATE***
I hate this. I really do. I've tried it on multiple times with multiple wearings in different parts of the day and it does not work on my skin at all. I really dislike the opening and if you spray it on clothes then that's all you get. On the skin it doesn't do much, just lies there like it's bored. It develops into a musky citrus that smells like the base of a ton of other womens fragrances, but the one thing that makes this unique is that damn lemon. That horrid horrid lemon. It is what ruins the entire fragrance. It's bitter, sour, biting, and very synthetic. Annick Goutal knows how to do lemon and this is a piss poor example of lemon. Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage has a lemon note that I love! Along with Hanae Mori's HM edt and edp. This lemon however is like the off brand/gas station Lemonheads candy that expired in the 90's. It definitely isn't trying to replicate a natural lemon but a candied lemon and it is not for me. If this is the future of Chanel, along with the supposedly horrid reformulated EdP's of Les Exlusifs, then I want no part of it.

Mich03
Mich03

I love the initial spray. A nice citrus,not a harsh one which is something I always think when I read a perfume has citrus in it. Starts out stronger than I was expecting with a name like L'eau but quickly fades. Very quickly! Was so disappointed,BUT I have discovered(after a revisit)that it lasts much longer on clothing so will be adding this to my collection anyway.

Sherihan
Sherihan

It comes in 35ml bottle! So I purchase tow of that, and tow of the 100ml bottle. That's enough to express how I loved this smell. I'm a big fan of the classic versions, and this I found a great addition to that.

This is exactly made for me. I kind of have always liked the EDP version, but it's too strong for me to actually wear it. This one is just perfect, just what I need. It still is No 5 feel to it, but it's much lighter. It also is fruity, I can literally smell citrus in it.
I need it, I really really do.
A great one!

Shwets

Its like Eau Premiere but stripped to the even more basics. The vanilla and sweetness is significantly toned down.

Pleasant and nothing to get excited over. Very soft in sillage and light.

100mlEDT
100mlEDT

This new offering from Chanel has left me baffled. It could be the fact i am a devout champion of the original. For me the best part of this fragrance was the 3 seconds it smelt like the iconic No5. Don't get me wrong, it smells nice ! Fresh, polite, woody musky and very Chanel, but i really don't see a need for it. We already have Eau Premiere so why the need to lighten it up any further ? It opens with a familiar glimpse of the grand dame but soon takes a right hand turn into another direction that has its own feel and character. Why use No 5 fame ? Why not give it its own name and bottle. I think it should have been called 2.55 and tell the story of the bag and link in a story that pays homage to the original fragrance. Breeding a new idea. Something to be excited about, a new story. For me No 5 should smell like No5. It is what it is, why try to broaden its popularity by modernising it. Im a little cranky about it. I would recommend this fragrance, my mum would like it and i can see how it would be popular as it is quite simply lovely. I will add that the longevity is rather poor. On skin it lasted a measly 30 minutes. My jumper had some lovely dry down that made me return to my sample and spray it again. No5 L'Eau i like you and i kind of dislike you as well. I won't need a bottle.

hills by the sea
hills by the sea

I like it a lot - its like a lighter version of No. 5 EDP, but also with its own personality and character. Very well suited to summer, L'Eau also works as a round-the-year casual scent. You could easily wear it to the office too.

It opens bright with citrus notes and light aldehydes and then the ylang and neroli come in. I am not picking up much by way of rose, and I smell all the notes into the drydown - they get more blended with a very light musk.

Fresher and brighter than Eau Premiere, it has the quality of a soft chiffon scarf versus a heavier silk one. Sillage is moderate - people can smell it if they are next to you and longevity is about five hours on my skin. I am testing this from a small sample spray. I like it a lot - as much if not more than Eau Premiere. Definitely on my wish list!

flowerpwrz91
flowerpwrz91

I used to really like Chanel No 5 back in the day and have gone through a few bottles over the years, but have found myself avoiding it for the last couple of years, mainly because it reminds me of a Retirement home I used to visit. This place, unfortunately had an all pervading smell of air freshener, usually mixed with the smells of Chanel No 5/ Youth Dew/Obsession and other assorted 'classic' fragrances, that a lot of residents must have been using - liberally.
It's enough to put anybody off.
Well, Chanel No 5, in the form of L'eau seems to have broken well and truly free from those shackles. It's old lady image, in the form of L'eau, is no more.

It's still very much No 5 and has retained the richness that we all know and love, but smells more modern and less musty and dusty.

I tested No 5 Leau today and now I can't wait to get my hands on a bottle of this wonderful perfume.
Welcome back No. 5!
I've missed you.

Situationist88
Situationist88

As a huge fan of both Chanel No. 5 EDT and Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere, I was excited and eager to blind-purchase a bottle of Chanel No. 5 L'Eau upon it's release in September. However, I recently received three 2ml samples which has significantly cooled my interest in L'Eau. I went through the first 2ml sample in just over a day, as I constantly sprayed it in an attempt to experience something...anything... before it quickly fades. While it lasts, it reminds me very much of Chance Eau Tendre in the way that it's soft and clean and nice, if a little bit disappointing and "easy". I was hoping for just a little bit more character and personality in a flanker bearing the No. 5 name.

Kon-nos91

Nice, just nice. I promised I will try with no fear No.5, mostly the EDT that I have a past since I've tried it when I was around 8 years old, but again, I didn't even touch none of the them mentioned above.

L'eau? A lighter edition of the super sillage Chanel's master and famous perfume? Yes. I grabbed it immediately. L'eau and the idea of starting with something lighter got my heart. It's centimeters away to be called a granny-mature type of perfume. It's fresh, strong, luxurious and a statement.

Next time, on my skin although I am not a huge fan of those perfumes. Hope they will not discontinue it like other No.5's editions. Aldehydes, ylang-ylang, precious woods and a soft hug of Chanel's classic neroli, jasmin, rose, citrus combination. To end with, this perfume is exactly what the ad says: "You know me and you don't." You got immediately that it's Chanel's child, it reminds No.5 of course but at the same time it's something new, linear, safe and classy.

lilymorena
lilymorena

A fizzy explosion that reminds champagne, nice. This is a beautiful begining but it turns and fast in almost nothing. A skinscent, weak and watered version of Premiere. The notes are promissing but that's all. What a pity.

SolangeN
SolangeN

Tested this from a behind-the-counter advance bottle I asked about at the mall.

It was quite nice, right up until the bugspray musk set in.

It's the same musk Chanel bottom loaded into Chance Eau Tendre & Allure Homme Sport Cologne.

It wasn't as overwhelming as in the Allure Homme, but I only had a diffuse spritz on one wrist to gauge.

Before the musk, Eau lightens No. 5's dense ylang with an array of citrus, including neroli and orange that last to the drydown. I didn't get any rose, just that characteristic ylang, but citrified.

Thankfully, there's no vanilla or food. This is what I had hoped Eau Premiere would be, except for the musk.

leboblue
leboblue

The iconic Chanel No. 5 parfum I believe is as close as you can get to the idea of the original. Unfortunately, it is the one I compare all successors to. I'm sure there is some subconscious reason why the parfum and the body creme evoke a euphoric state of mind for me and the Eau Premiere and L'eau don't. I pick very carefully the occasions I wear the original as it has not yet overcome the association with "old lady" perfume even though Giselle is the face of Eau Premiere. I am so over fruity florals and sweet gormands and I look forward to a return to the classics. In the meantime I'll rely on an old bottle of No. 5 Sensual Elixir and L'eau. I've been wearing L'eau for 24 hours around No. 5's harshest critic (my daughter 34) and I've not gotten any feedback, good or bad, from her so I'm very happy with that. L'Eau can be generously applied and doesn't come across the least bit "old lady"!

Doing the happy dance!

See ZBear's description which is most accurate.

ZBear
ZBear

I'be been stalking L'Eau ever since I heard about its existence, and currently, Chanel.com has it online for limited pre-sale, so I ordered myself a bottle. It arrived last night, and I couldn't resist giving it a few sprays to test out. I am wearing it today for the first time.

L'Eau definitely has the No.5 signature (aldehylic rose), so if you don't like that, then I wouldn't blind buy this. I think of L'Eau as an "effervescent" No.5, similar to what Hermès Eau Claire is to Eau de Merveilles.

L'Eau opens on me with bright, cheery citrus notes, and here is where I pick up the lemon and the neroli. On me, the dry down where I pick up the rose, cedar, and white musk. The sillage is average - not a room filler, but someone sitting right next to you would be able to smell it. The longevity is decent, about 6 hours on me.

Compared to Eau Premiere, L'Eau is lighter and airier, without the warm vanilla notes that Premiere has. If I were to divide into seasons, I would say Premiere is more Fall/Winter, L'Eau is more Spring/Summer.

Overall, this is going to be a regular in my fragrance rotation, and I am happy with my purchase. Bravo, Monsieur Polge!

maen
maen

I had the opportunity to test new Chanel n 5 L'eau with time, was an incredible experience.
Really splendid, totally unexpected!.
It opens with a tenuous aldehydes combined with very Chanel's citrics. Develops into a powerful florals notes, elegant Jasmin and Rose takes a major role, with a extremely updated Ylang- Ylang.
Drydown like a musk cloud, delicate.
It has the backround of the original n 5, but beautifully modernized, feminine, long lasting.
The charm continues there!!.
As Chanel describes and I support, is not a water diluted N 5, instead completely a new fragrance, absolutely nowadays adapted, creamy fresh floral with all its magical aura.
Bottle is clear and brighter, perfect reflection of its inner...
Great nose!!, He had a very difficult challenge and far exceeded!!.

auroramaria
auroramaria

I love original EDP but I can't wait to try this sometimes you need something a it more subtle that smells good and that's it and l'Eau sounds lovely probably best suited for spring and summer

KeriB1982
KeriB1982

Was lucky enough to smell this one on the wrist of a Chanel makeup artist last week! Considerable less pushy and in your face as the traditional Chanel No.5. It's a white floral that, while nice, isn't exactly a game changer. Typical Chanel frag, nice, inoffensive, traditional.

nitschevo
nitschevo

I really like No. 5 and the Premiere version, will definitely try this one out as well. :)

mshilov

Well... If Eau Première already exists as an introduction to the world of No.5 for younger audience, then this is supposed to be Eau Avant-Première... for whom? Kids, teenagers? it's quite sad, that Dior's Poison Girl, etc. make Chanel marketing team enter "l'universe ridicule" instead of staying comfortabely in it's own 'poison-free' world of uncluttered luxury.

carpp79
carpp79

I read today about this new chanel n. 5. Not interested, actually. I'm about to buy n.5 eau premiere, which I already tested and I found really good.

greydove
greydove

But Chanel No. 5 EDP is already so weak, and this is cologne??! Its going to be non-existent!

COSMICSCENTS

A story needs to come with it since this is going to be a major major lunch for Chanel. No5 is a fragrance they haven't really touched except for the elixir and eau premiere but this is supposed to bring a younger crowd to the Chanel world.
I was wondering last night when this would start showing up since I read that they will start major advertisements in June. I am waiting for a masterpiece so we'll see. I can't wait to try it.