Designers » C » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Chanel No 5 Parfum Chanel for women
dislike

I have it: 601 I had it: 149 I want it: 186 My signature: 29

aldehydic
Chanel No 5 Parfum Chanel for women Pictures Chanel No 5 Parfum Chanel for women Pictures

The legendary Chanel No 5, which was created by Ernest Beaux in 1921 for Coco Chanel, was originally launched in three concentrations: Parfum, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Cologne. Chanel No. 5 perfume edition in perfume extract concentration, available in bottles of 7.5 ml.

Chanel N°5 is the first perfume in the floral-aldehyde group and the first by the quantity of aldehydes in its composition (another legend says that the Ernest Beaux's assistant overdosed the aldehydes in the composition by mistake). The top notes are composed of aldehydes, bergamot, lemon, neroli and ylang-ylang, the heart of jasmine, rose, lily of the valley and iris, while the base is created of vetiver, sandalwood, vanilla, amber and patchouli.

Aldehydes Neroli Lemon Bergamot Ylang-Ylang

Jasmine iris Orris Root Rose Lily-of-the-Valley

Vetiver Musk Sandalwood Patchouli Moss Amber Vanilla Civet

Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere (2015)
Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette
Chanel N°5
Chanel No 5 Eau de Cologne
Chanel N°5 Eau Premiere

Chanel No 5 Parfum Fragrance Reviews

perfummm
perfummm

Does anyone know, is the "parfum" simply the larger size of the extrait? I've tried the eau de toilette and the eau de parfum, but not the parfum. Both of the ones I've tried only lasted an hour on my skin which was quite upsetting. I'm hoping that the parfum and the extrait will be different. Thanks in advance!

Owlsova72
Owlsova72

My God! I am taking back every word I said in any review about No 5! OMG! Whatever I tested before was wrong it was the ugliest thing that has nothing to do with No 5! I have Premire and love it dearly so I decided to get pure perfume. I got vintage tiny pure perfume from eBay for laughable price and I thought I died and went to heaven! I applied a dab on my rist and went shopping. Initial wired stage was like 5 min. And then it was out of this world. Powedery, creamy, sweet, ferry-like light, but persistent and very present from just one dab of left wrist. It took over whatever I was wearing and only No 5 was present. It is so long lasting that it stayed on after 2 showers in pm and am. There is NOTHING HARSH OR LOUD! I do t know what I was smelling before but pure perfume is something. It is not for hot weather though. And be aware it will smell differently on different people. It smells different on my skin than from the bottle. No 5 fans and Dear No 5, I am so sorry I ever said anything negative about you! Please accept in Chanel No 5 fun club.

LuvTea
LuvTea

My all time love! I love Chanel No 5. The words that come to mind when I think of my experience wearing No 5 are: soft, elegant, feminine, gentle, quiet, happy, clean, refined, beautiful.

kitfresco
kitfresco

If the artworks of Raqib Shaw had a smell, they would smell of no. 5 parfum. Winged lions, gold, money, religious iconography, pillars, gazebos, cherubs, bible stories and mythical creatures out of a colourful story book is what comes to mind when I wear this one. I imagine the Garden of Eden smelling like this; all of the most beautiful flowers, trees, animals and mountains, heightened in scent, colour and size by their supernatural and divine nature. It's timeless, androgynous, and otherworldly.

Chebly
Chebly

This is my signature perfume and have been wearing it for all my adult life. I dip my toes and try others ( even like some of them ) but this is the one I always come back to, my kids smell it and it reminds them of mum and likewise as my own mum wore it. What can I say? It's pure class in a bottle and it makes me feel I can take on the world when I'm wearing it. You only have to smell it once to be hooked, no wonder it stands the test of time. Just like the perfume, the glass decanter it comes in is classy, elegant and understated, this beauty needs no bells and whistles.

che.bly
che.bly

Estela B
Estela B

I have a big bottle since many many years, not really my style so I use it very rarely. Quality is very good, longevity, packaging, etc. But I recognize it is a true classic, from time to time it fits perfectly an occasion.

pozimhoff
pozimhoff

Chanel no 5 has been in my life for over fifty years. I grew up in a shop where my father sold fine fragrance etc...and I have always loved no 5. I'd say that in it's extrait form, no 5 is one of the least changed fragrances I have ever come across. Pure class,style, self confidence and love of life and beauty in a bottle. I do find a huge variance among it's various forms EDT, EDP etc... but I'm sort of happy with the elixer sensuale.

MrsTefee
MrsTefee

This parfum is my love (and my husband's favorite!). I purchased this in the 1oz size summer '16 and wore it just about every night that summer..I adore it. People say no.5 is a cold weather scent but I have to disagree. At least for the pure parfum, its amazing in the summer evenings. This version stays extremely close to the skin making it the perfect skin scent...although of course its still amazing in the dead of winter, for some reason I gravitate towards it more in the summer/fall months. Its been hard for me to wear my EDP and eau premier versions now because I spoiled myself with the pure parfum and there really just isnt anything like it! Its well worth it!!

Love this so much!

Layla54
Layla54

Old version or new version, Chanel No. 5 is elegant and vivacious and that's that! However, I would like to question the use of the term 'old lady', not just for these reviews but throughout the website; how incredibly ageist you are all being. Old can be beautiful: elegant and sophisticated, like the best vintage perfumes. Don't fall for the endless marketing of youth culture,because it's really all about money. If you are a woman, then embrace the certainty that you will be old one day and do your best not to hate what you will become. (And, by the way, I'm not old myself.)

theconnoisseur87
theconnoisseur87

don't buy it please just don't .

i'm a lawyer , chanel I can sue you for this .

my vintage chanel n 5 parfum extrait is empty right now , so I said I will buy the biggest bottle of the extrait 30 ml , ohhhhhhhh yes not the 7,5 or 15 ml , it's the 30 ml people , and it costs 325 dollar .

my sister arrived now from London , picked her form the airport , went home less than an hour ======= and she gave me the 30 ml bottle of no 5 extrait de parfum .
woooooow i'm happy , opened the bottle and what ???????

what is this ?????? really ohhhhhhh no no no .

this is not chanel no 5 i'm sure , don't tell me that i'm new to this parfum noooooooooo , I have all the extrait of this perfume from 70s 80s 90s and even 40s yes , and I have vintage edp , edt .

and guess what I've been testing the new reformulation on the edp and edt for that past 3 whole years .

but this the new extrait is just you know baby Johnson lotions ??? or maybe powder yes yes it's exactly than same no more or less .

Facts :

chanel claims that no 5 extrait de parfum contains 1000 jasmine from grasse , and 12 may rose also from grasse .

now I know exactly what grasse jasmine smells like I went there 3 years and let me tell you it's glorious like no jasmine on this earth not even the jasmine sambac which is green and indole , grasse jasmine is fresh , airy , heaven ,Strawberry jam like when you smell its absolute .

and I know exactly what may rose smells like .

for the vintage chanel no 5 extrait de parfum : the parfum opens with fresh bergamote , neroli , rosewood and aldehyde .

heart notes : grasse jasmine , may rose , ylang ylang , iris .

base notes : sandalwood , musk , civet , amber ,oak moss , vetiver .

the vintage extrait is a work of art , very poetic , mysterious , warm , enigmatic , really the best of the best quality . warm blamy the flowers are there but it's hard to pick any of them yes you can feel than 1000 grasse jasmine and may rose and the iris but no one stands out just amazing .

the new extrait notes :

powder and aldehyde I swear nooooooo flowers not even the jasmine chanel you said that a 30 ml contains a 1000 jasmine from grasse I don't get ittttttttttt what a lie shame on you .

no rose not even a cheap one , no iris no sandalwood not even a synthetic one , no vetiver no ylang ylang noooooooooooooooooooothing .

it's just baby powder and aldehyde , no top notes no heart notes no base at all .

one more thing : sillage is zero I swear , longevity ?????? you wanna know ? it's 20 mins that's it .

bye chanel no 5 extrait de parfum you used to be the best of the best RIP .

please test before you buy .

mine is from London Harrods 6th floor , the perfume salon 30 ml costs 325 dollar painful .

ohhh and the batch code its 0501 , it's Aguste 2016 yup brand new juice .

chanel you changed a lot ((((to the worst )) .

daniellecatherine
daniellecatherine

I did not think I was a Chanel No 5 girl. As a teen, I had a sample vial and did not care for it which saddened me as I assumed this meant I wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate a classic French perfume.

Fast forward (so fast!) to my early 40's and a sudden need for pearls and Chanel No 5 as a badge or reward of sorts for having reached 'middle age' ;).

Until recently I had not realized there was a difference between the concentrations. So I tried them all. I realize now that the sample I held in the 80's was the EdP. EdP and I still don't get along well until the dry down which is lovely. EdT was 'better' but still not quite there.

But Extrait? No 5 Extrait is pure and true love! I love it so much. I love it in vintage (deeper, dirtier) and I love it in its current formulation (more floral to my nose, way less dirty, same creamy dry down but a bit less deep). I tend to layer the two as I think the top notes on my vintage burned off a bit where the new one truly soars, but I love the mid and base of vintage more than the new.

The dry down is so creamy and woodsy in the most beautiful, soft, sexy way. The notes blend together so well it's hard to pick them out, it is a complex fragrance and it morphs so much from opening to dry down, it's a pleasure to wear and sniff throughout the day.

I do tend to avoid being around people for the first 30 minutes of wear due to the aldehydes but my own nose is never unhappy. I wasn't sure about sillage or longevity - to me, it seemed that after 4-6 hours I couldn't smell much but last night I walked into a girlfriend's house and was greeted with,'Mmmmmmm, you smell so good! What are you wearing today?' This was at least 6 hours after I applied so I guess my nose had become immune. Good job, No 5! Edit: I should add that I applied from a mini spray bottle into which I had decanted the parfum. This may have effected sillage?

On a side note, I also got my hands on a bottle of vintage No 5 EdC and I would say it is the formulation I love best after the extrait. It is less floral, more creamy woods and I can see why Marilyn Monroe would choose to wear it to bed - softly sexy, comforting.

I AM a Chanel No 5 girl! At long last.

pinktoe

I can't even begin to describe how happy this fragrance makes me. I'm the happy and delighted owner of a 7,5ml bottle of pure parfum and let me tell you I'm in love! I don't know anything about reformulation or vintage, all I know is what's inside my little gem of a bottle. And what comes out of it fulfills all my perfume lover's expectations.
After all these years being delighted by perfume I've come to understand what I like and what I don't like to smell on my skin. I like powder, I like softness and round edges, I like being cuddled in a soft warm cloud of perfume, and that's exactly what I get from n° 5. That's how it performs on my skin and I love it.
In my experience the pure parfum smells fresher upon first application than the EDP, much like the EDT does, but it dries down softer and sweeter than the other two. It's very much a skin scent mostly due to the way it's applied on skin (my bottle has a glass stopper and it's intended to be dabbed). Spraying fragrances allows more projection, dabbing makes it a more personal and sexy experience, shared only by those who come within your personal space.
If you ever get the chance to try this on your skin, give it a whirl, it may surprise you.

TitanicRose
TitanicRose

Pure parfum.....fragrance of the Gods ! Manna of the Heavens ! Better than drugs ! That is what i exclaimed upon breaking the black seal and unstoppering the perfume.
A little background.in my early teens,my posh friend advised me that Chanel no 5 was the ultimate smell.my dad was going to America,and he brought back the edc,for us 3 ladies in the family to use communally,which i had a 14 year old Marilyn Monroe fantasy about.i felt like a starlet when i wore it.
I went on a French exchange,and my wonderful host family gave me an edp minature,so that i could be like Marilyn in bed,with my blonde hair.
My younger years signature perfume was established ! Because of intermittent going in and out of luck,i was Chanel no 5 less for many years,altho i have recently finished a 100ml edp that a gentleman bought me for Christmas 3 years ago.so i rushed out with my Christmas money this Christmas to buy myself the pure parfum.
I actually videoed my grand unboxing and first impression,so my initial "olifactory climaxing" is now immortalized on facebook.
It is that golden blend of sherbety aldehyde and Grasse jasmine heads that seduce me.
As i said......better than drugs

lada1947
lada1947

Wearing this today, as I have done regularly, although not daily, for more years than I dare to count. At night I wear the EDT (call me Marilyn...) and this morning I woke craving the perfume extract. Mine is the reformulated version. I have gone through numerous bottles of what is now the vintage version, but didn't ever stockpile them. (Not a Fragrantica reader then, nor a perfumista. Merely someone who wore and loved No 5.)

I still love No 5, in all iterations. This, the extract, is still my favourite of all of them, although the EDT comes a close second. Yes, she no longer roars. I miss the roar, but I love the quieter voice too. She still lasts all day with one spritz, and smells as beautiful at drydown as at first spray. I feel that it is almost easier to pick out the individual notes now, than it was in the past. I get some of the more subtle nuances that were simply overcome by the fierce blast.

No 5 simply makes me happy. She completes me.

fyre92

GET A VINTAGE VERSION. The current parfum has no real civet and is watered down like every other Chanel perfume nowadays besides Coco mad. This is the exception to the low sillage rule for extraits. This can really be extremely loud and in your face and i love it. AGAIN... GET A VINTAGE VERSION.

Miss Shali
Miss Shali

I tried it and found it boring, linear or just not for me, it was too sweet I don't know, thank goodness I could test it first, I wanted to know what all the rage was about,but didn't impress me at all I like Cristalle or no 19 better.

jmc66
jmc66

The price on this guy is to high. The pure parfum 1oz is $325 (2016) they have smaller sizes as well. This is the ORIGINAL version ( as much as it can be with the countless reformulations it's undergone due to new laws, cost - etc). This is the version that's most like what Coco would have smelled. The eau de parfum spray came out in the 80's and is actually quite different that the pure perfume. I feel like many people are unaware of this. It is impossible to find testers of this version in the stores. This one is much lighter and closer to the skin than the EDP and much less heavy. I so much prefer the dry down on this one. It's much fresher ( as much as it can be) I just find this one so much more interesting and better formulated. They claim the flowers on this one are sourced from different regions than the EDP, and it's more "precious". If you can, spring for this one over all the others.

mandyrose
mandyrose

May I ask if anyone knows why the Chanel No.5 cream cleanser for shower seems to be unavailable in main stores like Debenhams-House Fraser and Harrods? All the other bath and shower products are still on websites. I wonder if it is a deliberate removal to encourage the purchase of the oval soap for shower use. I bought this soap,along with the other bath range and it smelled of plain soap and had nothing in common with the other products.I have never had the square soap and wonder too,if those bars,which were being sold prior to new oval bars,had a better scent? I am suspecting they may want to use up stock of the oval soap. Does anyone here know a sales assistant from Chanel,who may know? Thank you x

marinatatti
marinatatti

To my skin and nose this is the worst perfume ever! I don't even like it on other people! I sometimes believe that it does not suit anyone and people keep buying it just because it is chanel no 5

Mercurial Muzz
Mercurial Muzz

May have been good once. Years ago. But Lanvin's Arpege still tops it in terms of aldehydes. Most over-rated perfume ever.

Neosmiaphyte
Neosmiaphyte

After the cloud of aldehydes finally dies down a few hours into wear, it briefly gets sweetly powdery in a way that reminds me of Estee Lauder Youth Dew. This stage quickly fades, and the rest of the wear is a dry, starchy, powdery, slightly white floral finish before it fades into nothing.

kristin126
kristin126

This is such a classy, beautiful, iconic fragrance. Unfortunately it doesn't work on me. My body chemistry just turns it into a sour floral mess. But on many women it smells amazing. If you like this and it works on you, go for it, it is pure elegance.

ElectricBlue
ElectricBlue

My mothers favourite. It smells great on her, but it never got my attention smelling it from the bottle or tester. I guess that's good, 'cause otherwise we all had the same signature parfum :)

globus pallidus
globus pallidus

This is a wonderful perfume. My own issues with the brand and its popularity kept me from testing it more than half-heartedly and acknowledging its beauty. Until now.
I also happen to have the rare luck of not having relatives or friends who wear it. No. 5, here I come!

On concentrations: the EDT and I didn't get along. It feels very thin, a bit stale. The EDP is great, but gets a little weird in the late drydown. Not sure how I feel about that yet. The extract, however… is a work of art. It has a pleasantly cosmetic vibe akin to Chanel's own Misia and, to me, a bit of Nahema with less rose. The drydown is orris heaven. I'm in love.

Edit: actually, scratch that. No. 5 is glorious in any concentration (or rendition).

fyre92

Wearing a vintage from 1988 in the spray bottle form and omg this is every bit of everyone's favorite aspects of Chanel no 5. This is much sweeter and more floral than any other incarnation. Most beautiful version.

Milesofsky
Milesofsky

Oh, how I wish I could have smelled the original version of Chanel No. 5. People have raved about this fragrance for years, so I felt obliged to take my nose to the store and experience it for myself. When you have the opportunity to experience an icon, you don't miss it. Sadly, there must be something lost in translation. Could the reformulation have affected it that much?! The whole composition was a sad mess on my skin.

I am admittedly not a huge fan of most aldehydes, but I respect them for what they can do in the right proportions. (Chloe? Beautiful.) However, my skin could not shake an underlying aroma of gasoline that lingered the entire time I wore No. 5. There was an additional bitterness that was reminiscent of citrus peel, but really hard to pin down. I chalked it up to bad chemistry, but that still didn't explain the absence of florals. I have known people who practically bath in this fragrance and smell phenomenal. Is my chemistry that out of whack or is the new formula drastically altered?

On a positive note, No. 5 works overtime... and then some! The scent clung to my skin for nearly 12 hours, 2 showers, and an outdoor hike. The longevity is just unbelievable. To add to the list of compliments, this fragrance has that remarkable Chanel sillage that makes people turn around in their chairs. The scent effortlessly flows around you and let's everyone know, "Hey, I'm here." Classic.

I wish this would have worked out, but there is always a chance that I can snag a sample of the original. Perhaps that might be what makes the difference. Until then...

Sillage: 10/10

Not a review.
Piscean Blue.
I think that you may not fully understand how this site works. When people complain about your reviews is not due to zealous perfume patrol, as you may seem to think. But because it keeps popping up on the New Reviews list. You see, when you enter Fragrantica through the News section there is a green lettering column to your left, at the bottom of said column and just before the new additions column you find the New Reviews button, when you press it, all new reviews display, that's how we all see your reviews in all different iterations of N°5. And it's annoying, not because we are protective of this particular perfume, but because you insult the rest of us and that's simply not cool. Chill dude.

FarStar
FarStar

Piscean-blue:
I don't like Chanel No5 either, I really really don't, and I don't understand it either, but I'm also really tired of seeing your identical comments about it everytime I refresh. Perfume is a subjective issue and everyone has a right to like or dislike whatever they want.
Chill dude ...

Konga5000
Konga5000

Sampled this at Macy's......kinda frightening ...... I wonder WHO the audience for this is? Strangely synthetic as well. Just weird to me that the "mother" of all fragrances smelled so........... gaudy.
Musk + Civet = nasal train-wreck !

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Chanel No.5 Parfum..

Im going to tackle the elephant in the room first. This is not a "old lady" scent or any other vintage scent is for that matter....

Its a properly constructed french perfume. I think because of the current sea of sugar bowl, gourmand, and fruitchouli modern madness, we have people not understanding the fact that these types in her genre was composed of heavier ingredients with musk, civet, indolic jasmine, and aldeydes in a style that is foreign to them. Its called using a multitude of quality ingredients.

Its a proper floral aldehyde perfume that is elegance and class. Just because it may or may not appeal to your nose does not make it "old lady"

Classic Chypres and Orientals fall into this category as well. Its a category, just like the current candy fruit-chouli is. Its a category. We as perfume enthusiasts need to respect all categories...even ones we do not gravitate to. Now with that elephant dispatched...

Chanel No.5 hasnt changed all that much. The older versions are heavier with more gravitas with civet,musk notes, oakmoss, amber , vanilla in the base. Complexity and quality to create a whole more than the sum of its parts. The great scents tend to all have this characteristic.

The current No.5 is a lighter version of the classic scent. You still smell the aldehydes, roses and jasmine.. its DNA is there..just with less body and voluptuousness. (due to the IFRA regulations) It is a standard barer and something that has withstood the test of time. It is a photo snapshot of its era.

Its still elegantly beautiful.

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

I wore the hell out of No. 5 as it was officially my first grown up perfume but I don't care for it now. I'm not sure what it is. I try so many different fragrances and you know how it is, you find one that you love because it seems to love you right back. I only wear fragrances that suit me, my body, my blonde hair, my moods, and the clothes I wear. No. 5 I wore when I used to impersonate Marilyn Monroe more often that it was about the only work I did. Used to have a website offering my professional services as a Marilyn Monroe singer. No. 5 became famous before Marilyn wore it (she would not have worn it herself had it not already been famous) but she helped to popularize the fragrance when she told the world in an interview that she wore it to bed. I don't think it's suited to bed. It's definitely a showy evening cologne. It starts off with aldehydes and citrus which are signature Chanel openings. There's a hint of neroli and verbena even. Then I smell roses roses roses and ylangylang, and some jasmine. I don't know if the list of notes is correct. The jasmine is a bit indolic and more dirty because of the musk and civet which is totally there toward the end. The muskiness is what turns me off to the fragrance. I think this frag would smell better without it. But it's really not that bad. It's just that some people don't like it because it's more chemical and more heavy than other Chanels especially the newer ones which have been perfected to wear as a subtle softer skin scent. No. 5 comes from the days when women doused themselves with perfume and smelled more of musk and woods than of soft flowers and vanilla. I also do agree that all the Chanel No. 5s smell rather mature and like you have to be a certain age to wear them - like over 30 That doesn't mean its an old lady perfume though. It just means you have to have a sophisticated and more refined taste in fragrance and it also means you have to have tons of experience wearing many different perfumes so that you have known what all the notes in this one wears like on your skin: citrus, florals, musk. A lot of other fragrances do contain the citrus floral musk accords so it shouldn't be hard for a girl ages 20 to 26 to eventually graduate into wearing Chanel No. 5, even if she starts by wearing Mademoiselle Allure Beige Coco Eau de Toilette, Noir, etc. The scent is classic, strangely beautiful and yes sexy but I don't like to wear this too often. In fact I haven't worn it in years. I keep only one bottle in my house and it will be a while before its finished. This fragrance is overrated and beloved but with good reason. It seems to be the perfume that most people think of when they say the word "perfume". It's a dictionary definition of a perfume. It's not for everyone, but it has it's merits. It's an old friend that comes to see me and wants to spend the night with me. And I let her.

ShellyB
ShellyB

Do you not have anything better to do Piscean-Blue?? Grow up and get a life.

learnincurve
learnincurve

You know it's really hard to find out what the reformulated versions actually smell like with all this in-fighting. It does look odd from an outsider that there are so many positive reviews when the votes at the top are divided. Thumbs up and down should be for quality of review not if you disagree with it or not.

If the modern reformulation is different, does anyone know of a scent that smells similar or has the essence of how it used to be?

AngelinaIlieva
AngelinaIlieva

Dear Piscean-Blue,
I have had many bottles of Chanel No 5 over the years and I used EDT daily, EDP nightly and Perfume on special occasions. They were all divine on me. Honestly. Gorgeous. I swear on my grandmother’s grave. Superb.
But this is not honesty we are speaking about here. It’s behavior and manners. Your provocative behavior and poor manners. Why are you going to all pages, of all variations of No 5, insulting its admirers? You are a troll.

mongibella
mongibella

About reformulations: it is a fact.
The bottle of this pure parfum I had ten years ago had much more prominent civet and musk notes, more sharp and animalic.
The bottle from 2015 is much softer, I almost don't get any civet at all, and jasmine is more obvious.
I really start to think that also a year, a country of production plays a role in minor differences: like one lady mentioned in her earlier comment here.
Probably it is impossible to recreate a scent, especially with natural ingredients, 100% same everywhere?
Personally I think it is fine, but I understand it can be frustraiting also.

LillyBunnyBoo
LillyBunnyBoo

Starting to understand why I loathe this perfume as well as Obsession. Just realized that civet literally smells like human poop on me...and guess what one of the notes in both Chanel No. 5 and Obsession is? Yep. CIVET. No wonder I want to toss my cookies when I come within five feet of either "scent." *shudder*

sukisiamese
sukisiamese

I have other fragrances that I wear, but this is my favorite. I will add that I only wear Chanel No 5 bottled from France. I noticed a striking difference from bottling in NY. EDP is also your best best.

Anyone else notice this bottling difference? Most casual users won't notice it, but those of us who wear this amazing fragrance can tell this difference in quality. The bath oil made no difference for me, as did the bath powder. As a matter of fact, the bath oil is amazing.

Jurisprude
Jurisprude

For 10 years I felt upset my chemistry doesn't combine with any of the Chanel Perfumes. But here you were Chanel No 5 Parfum....hidden in plain sight. It opens strongly like most Oriental perfumes and then it transforms into this huge white floral. Classy. Beautiful. Strong. All that I want.
This perfume tells me a story of this confident woman who achieves all her dreams. She may have children of her own. Or maybe not. But she's an amazing person on her own right. She may be a business woman. She may be an academic. She could even be both. And her personality is now strong enough...that true classics like this appeals to her. I'm that woman. And now I too can have my Chanel Perfume!! So happy! :)

Marissaluvsscents
Marissaluvsscents

Of course it's my Moms signature but now that I'M a mama I am craving that classy, womanly, nuzzle up to, gorgeous scent and this IS it! Smells different on me than my mom so that's good. Just have a sample, can't wait to buy. I hear it mixes well with patchouli oil or Lolita Lempicka original. This cheap musk oil I have (Oriental Musk) smells sooooo close to it (just not as sweet and more linear) but has that powdery dry down. So for now I will wear that to get my Chanel fix!

nordhaul
nordhaul

sO easy to wear if she's for you.
If she argues with your essence
move on. Stop trying. ...Peace...

emmahlou
emmahlou

Elegant but SO hard to pull off. My mother has worn this for YEARS and it's always been so heavy and harsh on her. I always thought, surely, this perfume can't smell THAT bad, if it does theres a million people who are obsessing over nothing but burnt industrial glue remnants.

I'm yet to find someone who can pull this off and have the perfume develop into the beauty it's meant to be.

endge
endge

Well, at last the time came for me to add my two knuts about this truly prettiest of them all. I thought I'd never be able to say this and kind of accepted the fact that I am probably dense cause I don't get what all the fuss is about. It was annoying and disappointing because over many years I really wanted to like Nº5 and never did. Turns out my problem was EDT and EDP. The first feels to me too sour and chemical, the second too thick and cloying and both are quickly gone on my skin. The Parfum is just perfect. A perfect soft, warm, glowing blend of citrus, ylang, rose and... and can't really tell what. It projects about half a meter and lasts on my skin for over 12 h. I am so happy I forked out for this beauty in a fit of recklessness. It is perfect for any occasion, grand or casual. It is such comfort and elegance that I even ask myself why would I ever want to wear any other sent?

Timeisart
Timeisart

If ever there were a place to start for a perfume junkie to get their first hit, this was it for me. At 13 I found a tiny, half-full bottle at an antique store and smelled it for the very first time. I convinced my mother to buy it for me and it quickly became my signature scent. As I was becoming obsessed with the art deco era, it was a perfect fit - incidentally, I still am, and it still is. A total classic, through and through. I had a friend once who told me that it "just smells like old lady" but I have to chalk that up to an association with older women who have probably been wearing it for decades, and for good reason: it's timeless. To me, it embodies the spirit of its age - something modern and sensual, in brash opposition to the one dimensional 'good girl' fragrances that preceded it.

My partner gifted me a bottle of the pure parfum for Valentine's Day this year, and I absolutely love it in comparison with the EDT and EDP. It seems nothing less than necessary to experience it in its most pure, unadulterated form.

shushkin
shushkin

Well, I must confess I hadnt tried this since my teens. I remember really hating it then. It was only by chance that I tried it again and you know I had at least warmed to it a bit this time. Even more so when I discovered that by spraying ETRO heliotrope over it I created my own F Malle Iris Poudre dupe. I love Iris Poudre but its longevity on me is pants. I love that Chanel No 5 has a bit of muscle as I now can wear my "Iris Poudre" dupe and it will last all day!
Yes, there is a ton of aldehydes at first but they fade quickly and then it warms up a bit and is more floral/powdery. Its very refreshing and now I like it. Well, its tonnes better than hate!

Crystals On My Converse
Crystals On My Converse

For me this is a real 'Marmite' scent you either love it or hate it! I love it, reminds me of my mum as she used to wear it but I can understand why people find it overpowering!

Edee
Edee

The idea that Chanel No 5 is an old ladies scent is ridiculous. Remember those same scents that some of you wear today will be called old ladies scents by young ladies that are being doused with, and trained to love, whatever is the flavor thirty years from now. In the 20s, all the way until today, some very attractive and well put together young women rocked this scent and the world. Scent is not about time. It is something mystical and even emotional. It is about how the fragrance makes you feel when you see it, smell it and wear it. Drop the 'old ladies' mantra that some of you are dropping about fragrances. One day some young thing, will be saying the same comment about the fragrances you wear. Face it, you will get older. And it doesn't mean the life you lived, the people you loved or the fragrances you rocked will be any less meaningful or less enjoyed. Chanel No 5 stands for class, good taste and intellect today, just as it did yesterday.

armacoonsum
armacoonsum

I'll not say that this one is "for old ladies"... not at all. I am envious of anyone, of any age, who can pull it off. Who wouldn't want to waft about the elegant air of old Hollywood? What I will say, is that *on me*, No. 5 causes me to waft about the melancholy air of old assisted living home. It really, really does... there is no mistaking it, and I have tried and tried.

beatrix75
beatrix75

Who said this is for old ladies?
My daughter is only 16 but She loves this fabulous expensive smell #5

gfp
gfp

yesterday i found it in my drawer. it was hidden there for far more than a decade. i did not like it back then so i just put it there i forgot all about it. yesterday we were heading to an important party. in my search for a proper jewllery to fit my dress i bumped into the long forgotten bottle. i thought i will give it a try. it was fabulous .my husband liked it and my sister in law who came along asked me what was i wearing since it was so good. well even though i do not think we sould mark perfumes as if made for young or mature or old - i do think that aging had to do with me starting to love, all of a sudden, this perfume. the way i do not think i will offer this scent for my 15 years old daughter is the way i do not use her 'funny' perfumes (i am 52). age has a great part with preferences in perfumes. that is a thing you cannot deny. this perfume is mature and elegant one (day or night use - it depends...).it is meant for real ladies over 40.

Crzanto
Crzanto

Does anyone knows if this had suffer a reformulation? I'll very thankful if anyone knows.

DAL123
DAL123

I purchased a vintage sealed bottle of this on ebay and am thrilled to have it. Mine is an early 80's bottle and it is in fantastic condition. On me this is a powdery floral musk. Fairly strong but not overwhelming. Chanel no 5 is iconic and the vintage juice, in my opinion, is so much more than the current version. The vintage is full and beautful and confident. The newer ones do not give me those same impressions. Absolutely love this!!

ilyn1208
ilyn1208

this one smells almost identical to johnson's baby lotion..the pink one...

ladyarizel
ladyarizel

Who said this is for old ladies? I'm on early 20s but I love this!

Nataja
Nataja

LoriAlyse83
That was so touching and beautifully written. I know exactly how you feel. I have to admit as I read your comment I teared up...10/10 Perfect!

Hilda0414
Hilda0414

I had the EDT gifted to me as a young woman and couldn't understand the hype. Gave it away. But later tried the EDP and I have loved it since. But my peculiarity, now as a 61 year old woman...I wear it with black. Only black. Today a long sleeve black t shirt with jeans and a short black leather jacket. Any season. After all it is a classic and quite season less, not so?

janeofdoe
janeofdoe

I am so proud. as of today, I am a proud owner of a vintage Eau De parfum chanel no.5 !!!! Oh it is pure femininity in a bottle. ....I love it so much! I wish my skin wouldn't eat the scent....even at the chanel counter, the only place this scent stays on and going strong, is my clothes. Can't even wash this beautiful scent out of a tshirt! But one sneeze, and the scent falls off of me. Lol! Oh I so wish this would stay on me like coco....guess that will be my next voyage. ...vintage coco. For now, I'll just enjoy this scent before bed....but still....proud owner of a vintage bottle. I'm keeping it on the side of my bed tonight and drowning in it.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Pas poudré du tout sur ma peau mais un sublime bouquet de fleurs capiteuses accentué par l'aldéhyde C11.
Le jasmin règne en Maitre ! Mais aussi la bergamote, l'ylang-ylang et cette magnifique rose de mai ainsi que d'autres comme l'iris, le santal, la civette....
Ce qui me fascine c'est cette frontière entre les notes rendue floue grâce aux aldéhydes.
Mon Dieu que j'adore ce parfum qui me fait dire "Oui je suis vivante ! Oui je respire ! Oui j'aime..."

Merci Mademoiselle....

[email protected]
jlp8707@gmail.com

There's a reason that #5 is the worldwide best seller. Classic, sweet, but clean. Long-lasting, but not too obtrusive. Not my favorite, but my go-to when nothing else really sparks for me.

Henriette
Henriette

I have already submitted a few reviews for Chanel N°5 and, frankly, writing something new after a century of words about this scent, is a hard task.
But I wish to add a thought, prompted by reading so many times Chanel N°5 smells of old lady: please look at Marilyn, look at her and please do tell if honestly she embodies the spirit of Chanel N°5 - section "Old Lady".

I can name another few ladies who wear Chanel N°5 and are as beautiful, sexy, charming as Marilyn, but I am sure anyone else can do that as well.

mikasaackerman
mikasaackerman

Keyword: Elegant

Ahh, a classic. My all time favorite perfume ever. I can say that this deserves every bit of fame and recognition it has gotten. It is subtle yet elegant. The smell is very fresh and clean with a distinct aroma to it. Reminds me of baby powder but also of flowers. Imitated but never exactly like it, other fragrances only wish they could be this eternal. I like to wear mine on special occasions or when I want to feel elegant. Class is defined by this perfume, and wearing something that lasts a while and make people turn their heads for the right reasons, is why someone would go for this perfume. If you like sweet smells, this isnt it.

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

I love my Chanel but can anyone tell me why the Chanel no 5 Brooke's in particular display the word Paris on some bottles but not on others.

It's either
Chanel
Paris

Or
Chanel

Why the difference?

Cocochanel4ever

Recently I bought bottle of vintage pure parfum and on a bottom of the bottle says HP and Chanel bottle made in France. Then I'm reading one site and it says HP bottle manufacturer never made bottles for Chanel. The smell is long lasting and great, but I want to be 100% sure it's authentic. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate.

Heavensent3
Heavensent3

My Mother's fav. perfume! and of course one of mine too!

victoria.mei1992
victoria.mei1992

I remember, maybe 4 years ago I tested it. At first it was laike nail polish smell, but after it started to be just nice. I think, it would be good blind buy, especially for the gift.

windhill
windhill

I don't want to bash another review here as I knew each person has their own taste and opinions. But when I see some review that said No5 or Poison smelled really cheap and what expensive smell to them is an ordinary shampoo or artificial fruit juice made me cringe

Is No5 smell old lady? Maybe, but well Im in early 20's. And I love this to death. Chanel no5 has a uniqueness like no others. I smelled jasmine and rose very clearly in Parfum version. As I find edp was really good, Parfum is real majestic one. The opening of Parfum version remind me of A La Nuit by Serge Lutens, A sparkling and clear 'real jasmine' But way more complex. Citrusy aldehydic added a fizzy, fresh qualities in no5. I don't think its heavy at all. It may too soapy, powdery and a bit too jasmin-ey but its really subtle and cause less headache than some gourmand perfume in the market.

I'd agreed with review below. If I like it. I'll enjoy it. No5 doesn't meant to be for older people. Its just an old-fashion from the old time which anybody can appreciated and wear it like dressing in vintage styles or enjoying roaring twenties music.

I can appreciated any kind of perfume. But if I have to choose perfume to put on my own self. I'd choose to smell like a classy people from the classic era. And radiating this classic scent from the classic world.

Cocochanel4ever

To Amacasfer: I'm 31 and I love this parfum! Dear, it doesn't say anywhere on a bottle or box to what age group it belongs. Do I have to wait until 80 to enjoy it?

Englishrose77
Englishrose77

Gorgeous, gorgeous perfume. I buy the vintage extrait, and it's worth every penny. It's warm, soft, creamy and utterly beautiful. The pure perfume is my favorite. Years ago, when I was in college, I fell in love with the Chanel no 5 milk bath in the beautiful white porcelain bottles. I still crave the luscious warm fragrant milky suds from that wonderful product. Had I known it would be discontinued, I would have stockpiled it. Pure sophistication and loveliness .

grayspoole
grayspoole

Just believe the hype. I waited a long time to try vintage No. 5 extrait. There are so many diverse opinions of No. 5 out there that I couldn't tell if I would like it or not. Finally, I decided to see for myself and landed a sealed bottle of extrait from the 1950's-60's. And guess what? vintage No. 5 is a great and beautifully crafted scent. Rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine, and orris are interwoven with unctuous musks, a restrained civet note, and a touch of powdery aldehydes. All of the notes are true and clear. The similarity to vintage L'Aimant is unmistakeable, but No.5 retains a soapy freshness, even 10 hours into its drydown, while L'Aimant is all warm peach skin.

andreaszabo
andreaszabo

I have never really liked No. 5, always smelling the animalic, raunchy notes on me. My Mother had saved a bottle she was given as a gift from 1972. She's not a perfume person luckily for me. I decided to give it a try. It was still in it's two boxes with the black rope around the crystal stopper. I felt like an archeologist about to enter a pyramid passage.

Immediately mellow and not too sweet, ylang ylang and jasmine with a little edge. Hours later it's a warm gentle musky prettiness, but not a delicate one, a strong, capable womans one. The genteel woman, the woman with an iron hand in a velvet glove. Rich warm sandalwood inside delicate purple rose petals. It's warm, spicy and round, but not heavy handed. Restrained, delicious.
I didn't think I'd like this, but I do. It's enigmatic, rich and classy, the classy you can't buy, the kind you're born with, whether you're wearing an old big shirt, or a long sleeved, floor length black sheath with scooped back and a ton of pearls, No. 5 wafts delicately through paint or cigarette smoke.

This is timeless elegance. From now on I'm going to keep some on hand always as a reminder of how deeply beautiful these older fumes can be.

alice.livings
alice.livings

For a fragrance so famous, this is nothing like what I expected. On my skin, straight up, there was an overwhelming burst of soapy aldehydes with layers of bergamot and very dry lemon. With time other notes floated in, with hints of musk and vetiver, but it remained dry to the point of being arid, while retaining that peculiar soapy tone. Finally, after wandering through this desert for what felt like an eternity, there was a softening with the musk and sandalwood coming into their own, supported by a low key rose and the slightest hint of civet. The drydown is instantly recognisable, and it almost comes as a surprise to find something so familiar at the end of such an odd journey. They certainly don’t make them like this any more.

Cocochanel4ever

I always wanted to write the review for Chanel 5 parfum but never had time for it. Well, finally I'm ready. Very first time I tried Chanel 5 pure parfum I disliked it a lot. It was so strong like a punch to my nose. Back 10 years ago I wore light fragrances, fruity and floral. I was sure Chanel 5 is not for me. Fast forwarding to last year, I tried Chanel 5 in edt and I loved it but it wasnt long lasting. I re visited parfum again and here we go- fall in love with it! It's such intoxicating fragrance, I can't stop smelling my wrists when I wear it. I wear it 24/7, very first thing I do in morning- I apply parfum after shower, and when I go to bed, again apply some. Few days ago I bought Chanel 5 velvet body cream and combine it with pure parfum, this way parfum stays on skin much longer and smells stronger. I started to collect Chanel 5 extraits from different years. The oldest I have is from 40s, but unfortunately I cannot wear it due to the prominent leathery note it in it. My favorite one is from 70-80s. I bought one 5 years ago but it is very similar to Chanel edp which I don't really like that much (sorry Mr Polges, but fixing whats not broken isn't great idea, I love your COCO). So my advise for people who don't get Chanel 5- try different years and different concentrations, because they all differ. And another thing- if you want to try vintage extrait, try ebay. If it's sealed and seller has 100% feedbacks then you will get authentic stuff. I had good luck even with opened bottles unless seller has 100 percent positive feedback. If nowadays version doesn't work for you then look for vintage. Good day to all Chanel 5 lovers!

Nyssa Ainley
Nyssa Ainley

I probably sprayed this too thickly as it has gone a bit soapy in my nose and mouth and it has never done that before. I have worn it twice before.

What can I say about this classic ageless lady?

The spicy accords must come from the aldehydes. Definitely citrusy in a way that makes one feel clean and fresh. I sprayed this from a sample as I felt bleurgh and dipped into my sample pot. This was chosen. Yes it made me feel better.

It is rather potent and therefore not for those who like delicate, fresh scents. This Lady demands attention, surely the most Diva-ish scents there is.

I can see her laughing inside at all the young pretenders to her throne like Flowerbomb and Dolce and Gabbana's The One Desire (both of which I love!) Sitting with her long elegant legs crossed, as she turns and watches the younger fragrances dance and play in the air. Wearing a long glittering gown with her arms wrapped in a silver mink shawl. Delicate fingers carressing a long cigerette holder, smiling coyly as she raises the long dark ebony wand to her lips, taking a little inhale she sits back comfortably assured that, though she is 6 years off being a hundred she will never be topped.

Quietly, she sits and smokes, claps when its appropriate and enjoys the show knowing SHE was worn by Duchesses, Actresses, and even women in a quiet village house who just wants a touch of elegance in their most ordinary lives.

Chanel, my Lady, you truly are the fragrance of a century!

Claire Marine
Claire Marine

i tried chanel no 05 couple days a go. But it didnt long last on my skin =(
i like the smell, but it is not long last on my skin. any idea?

LisaMari
LisaMari

Ugh, its giving me a headache, I washed it off but can still smell it!
Its like powdered aspirin - very dry, sharp, bitter and soapy.

Your.Mademoiselle
Your.Mademoiselle

Hi. I do always visit this certain page and read a lot of reviews about this legendary, iconic, sophisticated and very classic perfume of chanel. I read a lot of reviews saying that it is for the older people and not suitable for the younger audience. Well, i can say that somehow chanel no.5 is not really for young people. This perfume is full of class and only few can handle the elegance of the smell.

How did i know?

I tried it myself. I am only 20 yo now and looking for a fragrance that fits for me. I have been always a fan of freah smelling perfs like the dolce and gabbana light blue and eclat d arpege which are very suitable for an outgoingperson like me. But when i sprayed and tried this chanel no.5, all of the people who will pass at my side will always say that i smelled like a lady with a class. Actually at first i dont like the smell because i think its and old perfume and should be used by old people. But comes the 2nd and 3rd day, well i can say that i love chanel no.5.

If you have doubts in trying this perfume, test it. Again, only few young people can appreciate the smell of it.

Cookiefan
Cookiefan

When I smell Chanel no.5 Parfum, I see a lady wearing a soft, delicate cashmere sweater sitting by the fire place. There is an inner peace and happiness living within her but she keeps it so close to herself like a secret and expresses it with a hint of a modest smile. She is warm and beautiful and has no intention to be alluring, except the irony is that men are inevitably enticed by her natural charm. To me, a Chanel 5 lady is genuine and personable. Who can resist her? The only thing about her is that....she is very expensive.

From the Chanel no. 5 collection I think the Parfum is the best. It's not the same as the EDP and the EP. I really think the P is softer and more rounded than the others. EP, to me, is second best.

andronicos
andronicos

Finally, an article for the most iconic perfume in history! I'm waiting to read reviews from those who have try it!

Kiku
Kiku

Chanel No 5 has been called, "at great advertising campaign for a mediocre perfume". "Mediocre" may be a tad strong. No 5 is soft, elegant, and feminine. It is subtle and says, "class". But, no, it is not very distinctive. It's hard to describe because nothing in it stands out. It is bland and perhaps this blandness is what makes it great. It does not offend. It is suitable for every occasion, time of year, time of day. It is safe, it is a "go to". Every woman should have it.

Sherihan
Sherihan

And I'm pleased to be the second to write a review on my 5. I own some from all concentrations, p/edp/edt and one vintage edc. My favs are edt and p. I adore the first notes of soapy/clean freshness. The edp is more vanillic and earthy, but edt and p are more clean and sandalic.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

I am pleased to be the first to write a review for Chanel No. 5 Parfum! Today, I just received my 1/3 oz bottle of vintage '70s "Perfume". It is too early for me to describe it, as I've just applied it. But I can say, thus far, it is all I've hoped for.

Elegance personified.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Chanel No 5 Parfum fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Chanel Chanel No 5 Parfum, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chanel No 5 Parfum by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chanel No 5 Parfum by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.