Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

Aromatics in Black Clinique for women

Aromatics in Black Clinique for women
dislike

Aromatics in Black Clinique for women Pictures Aromatics in Black Clinique for women Pictures

Aromatics in Black is a 2015 update of Clinique's legendary fragrance, Aromatics Elixir from 1971. Intoxicating top notes of plum leaf, pink grapefruit and Italian bergamot extend a tempting invitation.An exotic bouquet of osmanthus and neroli opens to reveal sensual jasmine sambac, delicate and powerful.Base notes of vetiver and tonka bean entwine with precious myrrh.

Top Notes: Plum Leaf Accord, Pink Grapefruit and Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Osmanthus, Jasmine and Neroli.

Base Notes: Myrrh, Vetiver and Tonka Beans.

Available as a 50 and 100 ml EDP.

Plum Tree Pink Grapefruit Bergamot

Jasmine Osmanthus Neroli

Myrhh Vetiver Tonka Bean

Bottega Veneta Essence Aromatique
Hypnotic Poison Diable Rouge

Aromatics in Black Fragrance Reviews

LadeeGee1958
LadeeGee1958

This scent reminds me of Dior's Hypnotic Poison. I love it.

emyalda
emyalda

Where's the myrrh?
At first spray this smells like a crushed leaf mixed with plum juice.
The green dies down a little and I smell some jasmine too but that's about it.
Overall I found it fresh and sweet

rumyana.zlateva.3
rumyana.zlateva.3

Nice and comforting fragrance. This is my everyday version of Dior Addict.

Mercuria
Mercuria

I was looking for something warm and spicy, and the salesgirl suggested this one. At first it reminded me of Youth Dew which is one of my favourites. However, after a while the fragrance settled down and became itself. It's not unpleasant, with a predominant slightly sharp top note that reminds me of cloves more than anything, but I don't see myself buying this one any time soon.

chnhjn
chnhjn

Almost got this for my girlfriend - it was between Feerie and this, and Feerie won. But that's not to say this is a poor scent - it's far from that! The opening is fruity and plummy and gives a slight plasticky vibe that's bearable. But give it about 5 minutes, and the dense myrrh has but well and truly taken over. It remains that way, slightly medicinal, slightly sweet, for the longest time ever, until it takes its leave in the drydown, with the vetiver taking over. It never truly leaves, though, as it hangs on till the last traces of perceptible scent. So addictive. The bottle, too, is a work of art. Best appreciated in cold weather, but try it when it gets hot if you dare.

MBB1111
MBB1111

I have been wearing this for a week now and LOVE it. Reviews, here and elsewhere, have given lukewarm accolades to this one, and I'm bewildered. Perhaps it is because I am a sucker for warm, resinous scents, so there is bias here.

Black opens with a quick burst of a thick plummy-fruity note that is quite enjoyable. This passes after about 5 minutes when the spice and resin warms up and surfaces. The duration of the scent is a well-balanced, slightly sweet, slightly powdery blend of flower and balsamic notes. I like Clinique's Aromatics Elixir and Estee's Youth Dew but find them too powerful for me to wear, but Aromatics Black wears like I wish the others did. I even ventured 2 sprays in the crook of each elbow and wore it to work. My trusted co-worker could not pick up on it in our shared cubicle space, but later, she commented, "Something smells good." I had just walked by, so I'd like to think it was me :)

Projection: within your personal bubble with 2 sprays
Longevity: 7+ hours with nice wafts
Wear: for the woman who doesn't always want to smell like flowers or likes a bit of complexity to her scent

icysdn
icysdn

im sure the others described it a lot better than i would, but take my advice: layer this one with Oriflame's Power Women Edt and the longevity and sillage will be doubled in a gentle way. Power gonna soften the Aromatics in Black in a way making it possible to wear it in daytime and at an office environment for example; and in turn, Aromatics in Black will turn Power edt into something actually useful lol. these two complements each other perfectly in my opinion. the content is similar anyways;)

iamoir
iamoir

A soft balsamic perfume with full on jasmine, osmanthus and neroli on top of myrrh.

If for some reason Aromatics Elixir is too...difficult to handle, you can try the Aromatics in Black and the Aromatics in White flanker. I find that they both are quite similar in terms of intensity, both balsamic but different scents. Aromatics in Black Cherry though is not lighter than Aromatics Elixir at all, so beware; test before.

Opens disgustingly,unbearable to the nose. But be patient. It softens as time passes and becomes a full on jasmine-neroli with quite a prominent vetiver. Tonka does not add any serious sweetness, it is just enough. Myrrh is not overwhelming, so anyone who would want to wear a myrrh perfume and is hesitant because most of them are heavy, give Aromatics in Black a shot. Slightly green and sour.

Once it fully develops and settles on the skin, it's a rather soothing, mysterious, hypnotising and a wrist cracker perfume, mainly because of the jasmine-neroli combination, fleshy at times. Strong, oily and sensual. Doesn't remind me anything from the contemporary creations but it doesn't mean that it's an old type of perfume.

In the drydown you will basically have wafts of a safe meaty jasmine, an enchanting myrrh and hints of a detergent neroli. The overall blend is very balanced though. Lasted up to six hours on skin; a fair time in my opinion. Sillage is arm's length. The more it warms up on the skin the better it will project.

A yes from me.

MossyBerry
MossyBerry

For my first few hours of wearing after a blind buy, I think mapache's questions were right. I am finding it tame and pleasant. I say test first if you are expecting a bombshell.

La DameDeNoir
La DameDeNoir

Dark, majestic, poisonous, magnificent, decadent nocturnal! A true witch potion! Something that Maleficent (the original Maleficent, that is, not the thing they made with Angelina Jolie) could have worn. I love it! Much more daring and coherent that most of the fragances released today with much more noise. A hypnotic elixir of narcotic flowers (being osmanthus the most prominent to my nose), bitter herbs (I am pretty sure there is some galbanum among their ingredients) and dark resins, with hints of leather, smoke and asphalt. A real black perfume, truly goth in soul.

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

This is attractive.
Not dark.
Not similar to Aromatics Elixir at all.
Not sweet or spicy.
It is a clean floral that reminded me (too much) of Calvin Klein's Truth.
Or even Estee Lauder's Pleasures Intense.
Yes, a touch of Alien is ther too somehow.
So, it's all good, but not original.
GREAT bottle ha.

Lucyana
Lucyana

To me, this has a slightly resemblance with Alien. Maybe from the sweet jasmin note. It's Nice but i dont't love IT.

taboo2287
taboo2287

wow, clinique hit the jackpot with this one! love from the first sniff and compliments from everyone whenever i am wearing it ;)

Bee-young-ka
Bee-young-ka

why didn't anybody tell me about this Myrrh gem?

you will be mine.

if you like Sensuous Noir you'll like this.

both are expensive but IMO worth the money.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

This is the first Clinique perfume I own that I considered worthy of my money . I actually bought it full price and taxes from The Bay. The opening notes sold me the perfume, they are simply gorgeous . The myrth is just stunning here, I cannot really smell bergamot or anything citrusy, it's just fruits and myrth and osmathus. A stunner! The middle phase isn't as good as the beginning, there is a resemblance to Black Opium and others in that family. Finally, after some hours, the scent settles into a clean tonka, woody vanilla, nothing smokey according to my nose.
Overall it is fairly complex and with a gorgeous opening. It feels somewhat oriental , elegant and opulent. It isn't me, because I prefer simpler scents, more nature inspired , but I appreciate the effort someone ( who is the nose ?) put here to create a beautiful offering .
Edit: I never wore it. I was smitten in the store but once at home I somehow neve grabbed it. A big and new bottle is available for swap, be warned, it is very heavy !!! Most likely, if you don't have a night life, and I don't, you'll not have a chance to wear it. Very gorgeous but bombastic.

Tovah
Tovah

Possibly Nicolas Beaulieu?

CaliPop
CaliPop

Who is the nose?

arrowdk
arrowdk

This perfume was a pleasant surprise.
I bought it for the lovely top and middle notes, especially the osmanthus.
I was expecting that it would last maybe 3 to 4 hours.
Well, at 6 hours I could still smell it, and this morning, after more than 18 hours I could still detect the myrrh note on my arm (with maybe a touch of vanilla). I am quite thrilled with that because it turns out that I am a myrrh fan. of course, at this point I could only sense it very close to the skin, but still, I did not expect the longevity.
This is going to be a great scent for fall through early spring.

Added on June 24, 2016:
I tried layering this over Aromatics Elixir. One spray of AE, followed by one spray of Aromatics in Black. I think it is great. Tomes down the harsher components of AE, but lengthens wear. To my nose it is a seamless mix.

d'odora
d'odora

I will still stand by the original (have just ordered the edt and hope it is somewhat toned down to make it a little more acceptable and likeable) I had high hopes for this one as the exotic black bottle and name suggests. The opening note is gorgeous, what is that amazing scent, is it the osmanthus? However this wonderful scent fades off and what is left is an almost plasticky dolly hair chemical smell. Not that I don't like that scent, I used to bury my nose in my dolls' hairs but I don't want to smell like this. I sprayed some on my hair and right now I feel like a walking doll. I'm afraid it's a return to shop for me.

Fluffyandpuffy
Fluffyandpuffy

Ends up smelling like Dior Addict for sure. It is nice sweet fruity floral. I really love the white version. This one does not smell dark, more of a deep pink or purple. Although it could if they tweak the ingredients alittle towards the neighborhood of Tom Fords Black Orchid. This ones too powdery and sweet to be "black".

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

Fragrantica has been a life saver for me through rough times I love this site and thank you Swap buddie for this fragrance.

What a change from the original Aromatics Elixir. Also a huge difference from Aromatics in white. I adore all three I have had the original for many years. White is a gorgeous patchouli and Black is a gorgeous warm and fuzzy comfort scent. When I sprayed it at first I could not pinpoint the scent it reminded me of. Then I read some of the reviews below and I do agree it smells a lot like Dior Addict. Not a dupe but it's got the same vibe. A very comfortable relaxing and sexy fragrance.

Roses58
Roses58

Have owned and loved the original Aromatics Elixer for years. Have now bought Aromatics White - lovely and now Aromatics Black and it is my current favourite.
Cannot list all the fragrances as my nose is not that experienced or clever. I just know that when I spray this beautiful little black potion onto my pulse points, quite liberally is the secret, I come away wearing the baby sister to Elixer - but she is playful, floral, sweet, happy and has people asking - wow what is that fragrance????
I am bewitched - she is a beauty, just needed to learn how to wear her ❤️❤️❤️

shushkin
shushkin

I really had no idea of what to expect of this fragrance as comments have been so diverse. It is very nice and an easy to wear fragrance. I love the osmanthus fragrance and there is plenty of it here. Nice combination of fruit and a strong jasmine note act to bolster the normally fleeting osmanthus note. Theyve really cracked it. I do get the myrhh and it does a fine job of extending the longevity. It grounds the fragrance with its non sweet smokiness. Sans myrhh might have lead to a cloying and over sweet creation. I am baffled by the "black" title. Its not black at all. Maybe the myrhh is supposed to be the "black" element?! Its not a weak or overly strong fragrance. I totally agree about it being aromatic. There is something very verdant about it as well which I will put down to the vetiver. I feel as if I have just walked into one of Kew Gardens greenhouses and hit with the smell of various aromatic foliage and fragrant tropical flowers. Id feel happiest wearing this on a summers evening. Moderate sillage and good longevity. A thumbs up from me.

ewanhoozarmy
ewanhoozarmy

Really like this. Drydown smells very similar to that of Lacoste Sensuelle to me.

Rene007
Rene007

very light green perfume , smaell like fresh coriander for me with a hint of somthing sweet,
not reflect the black bottle at all

i will pass this one

LizzieDee
LizzieDee

This really reminds me of Dior Addict - similar softness, very similar composition and impact.

gillbert
gillbert

by far, one of the best perfume from Clinique. deep, rich sweet, creamy, flowery and bit smoky. it elegance,sexy,sophisticated and professional.

i can say, smell like tiramisu ice cream cake which i do love. perfect for formal dinner, meeting, office-work and valentine day. it last 6-7hours.

Clinique comes out with another level of fragrance which is i have to appreciate their effort. smoky glass is created definitely protecting the liquid from the sun. clever-good job.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

The two Aromatics flankers, white and black are both fantastic. The Black offering is beautiful, appropriately named, the beginning is ultra fruity, blackcurrant and berries, but as it dries down I get the Myrhh and Vetiver. The bottle itself is beautiful, such high quality.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

After a fruity opening, on my skin this fragrance morphs into sweetness - not cloying, but headache inducing for me. As it develops, I am left with a very light powdery scent with a hint of spices. Won't work for me.

monamonib

This very elegant perfume one spray stay long for me its deep dark plum thick amber and its powder idont knew but it reminde with loulou casharil

DMS162002
DMS162002

Fruit and licorice. This does not feel like a "black" scent at all. In fact it is quite delicate--not at all the powerful scent I was imagining. Still, I find myself liking it. It smells vaguely like Hypnotic Poison on my skin and has decent projection and sillage. This is not going to win any awards for originality but is likely to inspire compliments, especially in the softened, skin-close drydown phase.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

I'm afraid I didn't like this very much at all. It's fruitiness overpowers and the plum is very dominant. It was just a faint purply smelling fuzz after an hour and then it disappeared.

Pepsidoodle
Pepsidoodle

I loved the smell in the bottle, but on my skin it is quickly reduced to powder. Yuk

mirianacellier
mirianacellier

It's like a soft black cashmere sweater... Love it! Although Clinique isn't a brand which outshines with its perfumes, I have to say that both Black and White aromatics are very successful.

StarlaDear
StarlaDear

Maybe it should be called AE Blush, rather than Black.

majagk
majagk

this could go so much more black, dark, yet, it didn't.
it is black soft, if there is category like that.
those notes on harrods site look so much intriguing in theory, i just wish they
had a little more courage to go stronger, after all we all know what kind of monster is original AE...
well, it still is elegant, and not old-lady like, and quite classy and stylish scent.
but being tauer's fan, oooow what could he do with that....

kvan
kvan

I've worn this three times now. I cannot for the life of me smell myrrh or osmanthus, or even vetiver. So weird. On me I get a top note of greenish tart fruit, then a scratchy screechy jasmine (I'm picky about jasmine notes, though, so might be over-sensitive here) alongside woody vanilla. It dries down to woody vanilla, and after 4 hours is gone from my skin. Not smoky, not resinous, not rich, hmmmm.

The texture and intensity of this is totally different from AE White and of course from original AE. This is light and meek. It smells fairly modern to me, but is not innovative nor is it working hard to charm me.

Germany
Germany

I like this a lot. Bought it the other day at the local Clinique counter ! It's warm , resinous and sweet,,,it's a soft creamy and very likeable. I prefer it to the white as the black one is just more oriental and warm . It has a soapy smell to it like a fruity soapy smell.
The white also smells like soap , but more rosy and sharper in my option.
Both are nice , have to go back soon and test white again but for now loving the black !
The black bottle is sleek, simple and beautiful !
I like genny17 s review!

Great scent!! It goes on smokey but light, like it isn't dark at all, or dry, or too strong...I was worried it would smell masculine, it doesn't l there is a lightness and mild sweetness in the top a fruitiness, then the heart gets floral, balsamic, and a bit smoky.. There is a certain soapiness about it, but nicely tempered with the Jasmine..but subtle before all.lthis isn't a powerhouse scent, this is rather stylish, classy, but not oldish..feminine, and very refined!!!
Great creation!!

muskymoi
muskymoi

Very green and plummy at the top. You'd think it would be a gross fruity floral mess but it's quite interesting. It's almost repellant and attractive simultaneously. I don't think this is girly at all. It may confuse the youngsters actually: "What? A sexy grandma? What's that? No. Does not compute..."

The green is gone within moments of spraying and then it's just a simple creamy floral with a meek resemblance to black orchid (very meek). Jasmine is not very pronounced, but it's there. Another creamy floral for my library of fragrance. Like I needed another one, but the heart wants what it wants. No regrets but I fear it may bore me eventually.

Jomoves
Jomoves

Is already available in Sydney, Australia. First up, the bottle looks great - nice and heavy with a rose gold sprayer. Feels dark and expensive. Unfortunately, the juice is nothing special at first, but does become a bit special after a couple of hours.

Begins with a very sweet, soapy/powdery black cherry scent. At this point I would say it smells very mich like an "exotic" shampoo. It then calms down and the powdery notes start to take over and it takes on sweet incense vibe. Nothing special, the only thing that sets it apart is the powdery notes that are normally associated with old school fragrances.

After a couple of hours it becomes a low key, almost masculine fruity/musky scent that hangs around for quite a long time.

To sum up, this is like a training fragrance for younger perfume fans who want to try something darker but aren't quite ready to give up on their celebrity fruity scents just yet.

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

@mapache actually it could be quite "black"! the vetiver and myrrh in the base sounds great, & if they are dominant could turn this to a modern day "poison", a dark incensy fruitiness and some jasmine heart:)

JoMurf.com
JoMurf.com

Notes listed on Harrods site

Top notes: Bergamot, wild black cherry, white pepper

Middle notes: Jasmine sambac, rose, galbanum

Base notes: Labdanum, cashmeran, amber

mapache
mapache

Sounds very interesting !!
Would love to give it a test.
But why "black" ??? IMO...does not warrant the name black due to the notes....???

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Clinique Aromatics in Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Clinique Aromatics in Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Aromatics in Black by Clinique. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Aromatics in Black by Clinique represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.