Designers » C » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

Matin Calin Comptoir Sud Pacifique for women

Matin Calin Comptoir Sud Pacifique for women
dislike

milky

Matin Calin by Comptoir Sud Pacifique is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women. The fragrance features sandalwood, sugar, vanilla and milk.

Sandalwood Sugar Vanilla Milk

Lalao

Matin Calin Fragrance Reviews

fighter
fighter

Milky sweet fragrance which kind of evokes breakfast memories. Basically it's just milk and sugar.

I can see why some people connect this to breast milk or powdery baby milk as well...

However this fragrance is so light that after 5 minutes It barely can be detected on my skin. If I wouldn't buy it in a serious perfume shop I would think somebody would have tricked me watering it down.

I recommend to try it on your skin before purchasing it, better if you sample it in a vial otherwise you can get extremely disappointed.

Kohla1
Kohla1

What the heck? How can this even be considered perfume? There is hardly any scent and what is there smells for about 10 seconds. I get the lightest sugary scent. My skin does eat perfume though but this is the worst I have ever come across and I have tested over 800 perfumes in total. I am putting my bottle up for swap or sale in the US or 10 ml decants.
If you want this scent but stronger and actually detectable try Ava Luxe Milk

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Lasts for 5 minutes and then it's gone... Too bad, as it is heavenly for 5 minutes . Condensed sweetened warm milk, indeed bringing back toddler memories . Calm and delicious .... I suppose they discontinued it not because it was a bad scent but because it has quite possibly the weakest lasting power and silage I've ever encountered l too bad, it had potential to be amazing .

Musume
Musume

Matin Calin is a Proust madeleine to me, it instantly takes me back to my grandma's kitchen where she's making some delicious dulce de leche or I'm enjoying a toast with condensed milk after school. When the weather is cold and life is rough, Matin Calin never fails to comfort me and make me feel safe and warm. I love sweet milky scents and MC is my favorite one. Sillage is soft but longevity is pretty good on me.

dsty
dsty

When I got offered a little decant of Matin Calin in a swap, I decided to try it despite having my doubts. Sure, the note list looked promisingly gourmand, but so did all the other Comptoirs I've tried before and I've had trouble with most of them just because they're a little TOO gourmand for my taste: too sweet, too powerful, too straightforwardly edible. Still, it couldn't hurt to try, because the couple of ones that did work for me are among the best comfort scents I know. Luckily, after some hard going at first, this one falls in that last category as well!

The first couple of times I tried Matin Calin I thought this was the worst one yet. It's so incredibly sweet and milky, and so very strong especially at first, that it made me slightly queasy. Even worse, one time I also got that dreaded "celery" smell that I'd only read about in others' descriptions of gourmands, but had never experienced before.
So I was all set to write a dismissive review and pass my little decant on, but something happened when I tried it again this morning. Maybe it's because I'm used to it now, or maybe a lazy weekend morning is really the only time this is suited for, as the name suggests, but I suddenly found myself liking it a lot. Instead of bringing to mind (slightly spoiled) milk with sugar, which I definitely don't want to smell like, I was now reminded of Petit Beurre-cookies, as someone else has mentioned. It really smells exactly like those beloved childhood favourites: still sugary sweet, sure, but more buttery than milky, and with a pleasantly burned or rather toasted or caramellised edge to it. Lovely and a trip down memory lane for sure!

I'd still never set a foot outside of my apartment wearing this: except maybe for a visit to a kindergarten or nursery, I really don't see any suitable occasions for grownups or even teenagers to wear this. But I'm definitely keeping my little decant now, for some sweet comforting morning nostalgia when it's needed.

LisaMari
LisaMari

Apparently Matin Calin means morning hug, which is appropriate as I find this has an aroma of hot buttered toast with hints of suedey vanilla, chocolate and something dry, sweet and brittle like those hazelnut wafers you get in coffee shops. In the drydown I get tiny hints of hot milk, but with that burnt toasty notes through out. nice but very faint on my skin and even on my clothes and longevity not great either ;(

karolagd
karolagd

Milky, warm very sweet scents. This fragrance make me smile if I feel it in the air but I can't use it on my skin unfortunately...
I have this one 100 ml in my collection but I can exchange it with someone who like it :-)

Singabera
Singabera

First notes are real sgushenka, as already said below) Sweet-sweet sticky milk boiled with sugar.
Then it becomes more interesting - less sweet, a thin hint of sour note, which gives sandalwood. Im not sure if I will wear it, bought it just for fun.

NicoleET88
NicoleET88

I had my eye on this for many years. I wanted to try it but there was never an opportunity for me to do so. Well, thanks to the wide and wonderful world of swapping, I finally got my hands on a sample. And all I can say is, I'm glad I never went for a blind buy of this fragrance.
It's not that it's offensive, because it isn't. Not at all. It's a pleasant little scent, but it's not something I would choose to smell like...and I am definitely a gourmand lover. Vanilla, cake, cookies, chocolate, cream, I'm all about all of it. But this reminds me, very strongly, of a bowl of hot maple and brown sugar oatmeal. After that initial syrup scent dissipates, this is nothing more than a mug of warm milk. I don't want to smell like milk. I guess I thought I did, but I was wrong.

You know what the trouble is? I nursed my son for 2 years and this perfume calls to mind sleepy baby breath.

Salotka
Salotka

I Neeeeed this! I wear a few CSP fragrances and would love to buy this one but I can't find it online anywhere. Has it been discontinued? Anyone who has recently bought it, could you tell me where from?? Thanks!!

jadejoann4
jadejoann4

It is my bedtime scent. It smells IDENTICAL to evaporated milk with sugar, egg and vanilla. It smells just like FLAN. Its so milky and sweet. The most comforting scent ever. GREAT dupe is Lait Sucre from Pittsburge soap works..EXACTLY THE SAME/

christianne1
christianne1

To make it pretty simple, this smells exactly like the top of a Creme Brulee tastes (and smells) to me.

This is sweet, sweet, SWEET and makes me woozy. It is like I had a sticky sweet dessert that ran down under my chin and didn't bother to wipe it off. It doesn't smell bad, it is just abundantly sweet and food-like or like a vanilla flavored alcoholic beverage. I know a lot of people love the sweet vanilla type scents but I am not one of them.

But I freaking LOVE these bottles! I give the packaging glowing reviews for the practicality and uniqueness. But Matin Calin and almost the entire CSP line is not for me due to the overabundance of sugar and vanilla.

tiger1962
tiger1962

Another good one from this company but this one does not last at all. The scent reminds of crème brulee (burnt sugar, burnt milk, burnt caramel) but since I am a lover of foodie scents this makes me happy. I love the scent. I just wished it lasted. It's light - not heavy at all.

Imadele
Imadele

I liked this but it was unfortunatey extremely weak and short lived .. I would need to use a lot to enjoy !!

chchristyen
chchristyen

Matin Calin ... For me, it was love at first sniff.

I received this in a sample vial (thank you kunihime), and it had thoughtfully been chosen for me based on looking at my wardrobe and what notes I might like. I am so grateful for that.

Oh... when I close my eyes and smell this... it is like I am at home on a cold and rainy day, wearing sweats and and draped in a fuzzy blanket, holding a steaming mug of milk - in which my mother adds a generous spoonful of condensed milk, and gives the simple concoction a good stir - I take a deep whiff of it..... and that is the smell of Matin Calin. Comfort and loving warmth in a bottle. I wanted to lick my wrist, it smelled so mouthwateringly delicious. This was my initial impression, just from dabbing my wrists. I knew I had to have the full bottle.

My friend bought me the bottle for me after hearing me talk about what a comfort it was to me and how much I loved it - I have my own bottle --- and here is what I think about spraying it on myself versus dabbing:

A word of caution to anybody who buys a full bottle of this after sampling it from the vial - In my opinion it is best to hold the bottle a good arms length away from your body when you spray it on you, in order to get the best-smelling results. Too close to your skin and what you get initially is a buttered-toast smell, with the toast slightly burnt and still warm. (Not bad either, in my opinion!) From the vial the burnt smell is not noticeable because it is only a small amount that you are applying on yourself versus the concentrated spray that comes from the bottle. Otherwise, this is absolutely wonderful. Although not pragmatic for everyday wear, (unless you want to always smell like a mug of sweet milk) Matin Calin is truly wonderful, and a great comfort scent to have.

Majja67
Majja67

Interesting how different people experience this "scent"! Got mine today, not at al what i expected i must say! I cant feel any milk, sugar or vanilla notes at all, its only i big blast of...faint sandalwood! I have had real genuine sandalwood oil so i know what that smells like, this is the same (maybe synthetic??) only a tiny bit sweetnes to the scent, thats al i get from this bottle! Well i like sandalwood, thats not it but i expected milky sweet vanilla, hmm.... Lasting power is not great, a couple of hour and its so week so i doubt anyone can notice this scent if not smelling directly on your wrist!
Well maybe its just my nose, will try again some other day! Warmer weather might suit it better?!

freddinos
freddinos

I am a big admirer of Comptoir Sud Pacifique, not always because their scents are what I thought they would be, but because of their packaging, concept, descriptions and attitude towards exotic. Matin Calin was a blind purchase. I found the sandalwood to be definitely there, along with milk but not cream or butter, mind you. The milk note in matin calin is almost skimmed, without the rich aromas of cream, with a definite raw, organic sourness that reminds me of milk that's just about to turn sour. This sourness is balanced quite nicely by vanilla sugar. Yes, it doesn't last long, but as the time passes and the top notes settle it becomes more soothing and comforting, like the mug of very hot milk you hold between your hands and under your nose just before you go to bed at night. Not my favorite CSP but I like the idea of owning it, might even be good for layering underneath other gourmands

Edit: two days after my initial trial, I have to come back and say I love it! The sourness is ever so slight and the sandalwood and milk form a divine concoction. Just like a milk bath and shampoo I used a few years back that got discontinued... Don't care, I have my matin Calin now!

kankri
kankri

Wow, this definitely smells like hot sweet milk with a lot of sugar. It radiates a sense of warmth and comfort for me. I can see the sugar, I can almost taste it. After a few minutes, though, it has changed quite a lot. Someone else mentioned that this smelled burnt on them - and I get that. There is a warm, toasty note here, but it doesn't smell bad to me. To me it smells like creme brulee, or sweet buttered bread.

I really love this, even though it's pretty straight forward and not all that unique. It's very very comfortable and sweet. I will be buying this.

thapoy
thapoy

Only 2 hours on my skin. I would like scent more long lasting.

justicecrow88
justicecrow88

To me Matin Calin smells like sugared milk and a light realistic vanilla with some vitamins sprinkled in it.I love sweet and creamy scents when they do not smell artificial or chemical,this is very natural.i love the smell but i hate the staying power.my skin drinks this up in a few minutes.(sigh*)i would give this scent an 8 and the staying power a 2. p.s.I must admit i prefer Demeter condensed milk and it is cheaper.

Turtledove
Turtledove

I was a little afraid after reading a couple of the reviews, but I don't get baby formula smell, or even much of a milk smell at all, but rather a delicious crême brulée, like crunchy carmelized sugar and cream. And it smells toasty-buttery too, not just sweet, it's the first caramel I've really liked. I love it! So cozy and cuddly!

Update: The lasting power could be better. I still love it though.

Aureliev
Aureliev

Ce parfum est vraiment régressif!!! C'est l'odeur des biscuits "petit beurre", une odeur de lait chaud et de caramel. Un parfum chaud, et sucré. Hummmmmmm!!!!

Eyla
Eyla

a friend of mine had this fragrance and she wanted to get rid of it because she got bored with it. as I am a fan of milk in fragrances, I was determined to inherit Marin Calin (and I got infatuated by it's notes).
boy, am I glad I got to test it first because the promise of vanillary milk on my skin turned to milk that spent far too long on an overheated stove - it smelled like overtly sweetened milk that got burned!
it wasn't just my impression, I had second opinions on this (and it was not rancid, on my friend it smelled lovely - creamy, full fat milk boiled with Bourboun vanilla).
this is just another tragic story how a (blind) love towards some fragrance can be ruined by mismatch in body chemistry but still.. so sad, so true...

my advice: do try before you buy!

Carnelian
Carnelian

Yes! I get the smell of pineapple first on, too, so it's not just me. Then it goes to a sweet vanilla and something that makes this smell a little like coffee (I think it's the sandalwood.) As I sniff my morning latte, there are definite similarities.

This is really, really light and gentle. I am wearing a sample of it, and have used up the whole thing today to even smell it past an hour - literally poured the whole sample on. I have never had to do that with a sample before to get a lasting whiff.

Occasionally, a generic sweet, warm and creamy vanilla smell will waft up, but overall it just has very little potency. I like it, but it's just not worth the cost.

elm0505
elm0505

It's a warm and cozy scent that lingers very close to your skin. I like it because it reminds me of butterscotch or dulce de leche. I can feel milky and sugary notes with a slight pinch of salt.
The only drawback is it's nearly non-existant lasting power.

mmsmlzgud546

that is exactly what I was afraid to put in my review. Smells like breastmilk to me too. :(

Smells like sweetened, steamed milk. I liked it for a comfort scent until a friend told me that it smelled like she did when she was breast-feeding. That turned me off pretty quick. Somehow that doesn't seem sexy to me.

mmsmlzgud546

I was so excited to get this one. It sounded so delicious. Well.. I will have 2 bottles to trade because on me it smells like dried baby formula. It had amazing lasting power though.. I see why some would love the rich, creamy tones. It was probably the sandalwood that rubbed me the wrong way.

rebella
rebella

This one I can´t hardly smell at all, but when I let my youngest daughter borrow just a little I smelled it, but only on her. Quite weird, but it seems like my skin suck it all up at once... All thats left after fem minutes are a weak smell of sweet milk. On my daughter it smell good tough, like dulce de leche, some cookies and very creamy.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

Usually, I'm a pretty big fan of CSPs. To me Matin Calin smells like the milk that's left over in your cereal bowl after you've ate the cereal out of it. On my skin Matin Calin doesn't evolve at all, it stays linear from start to the quick finish. The lasting power is just horrible on my skin; 5 minutes if I'm lucky. I will stick to my beloved Vanille Peach!

jeca
jeca

Hot sweet milk, dreams from childhood. I suppose every Russian can say that this smells like sgushenka (milk with sugar)

2007

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Comptoir Sud Pacifique Matin Calin fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Comptoir Sud Pacifique Matin Calin, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Matin Calin by Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Matin Calin by Comptoir Sud Pacifique represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.