Designers » D E » Leather « Groups

1776 Elsha for men
dislike

leather
smoky

1776 by Elsha is a Leather fragrance for men. The fragrance features leather, oakmoss, woody notes, iris, resin and incense.

Leather Oakmoss Woody Notes iris Resin Incense

Elsha

1776 Fragrance Reviews

davidmichael44
davidmichael44

Love it.......

KJS88
KJS88

A while back, memories of this cologne were giving me such pangs of nostalgia, I just had to seek out a new bottle, and with the help of a very kind and patient Fragrantican in the good ol' U S of A, I was able to obtain a giant 8.4 oz jug of the stuff.

I posted a review a few months ago on the basis of what I'd remembered of it from about 10 years ago, as well as the the 2 or 3 ml remnants of a 4 oz bottle that belonged to an American friend who left it with me in Australia a short while back. My opinions of this fragrance have changed on the back of unmistakable reformulation.

A previous reviewer places this in a fairly loose family of rather classically "American" fragrances. I won't argue with that, and here's why:

Elsha as it was a few years ago was richer, deeper and stronger than it is now. It still smells fundamentally the same, but it has been stripped of any birch tar in its formula, the honeyed spice has been de-honeyed, the leather that made it "Russian Leather," as it was formerly labeled, edited out. The opoponax is still there, but it too has been toned down (this note gave it a Guerlainish quality, reminiscent of the Shalimar Eau de Cologne still sold on the North American market).

Its like smelling Old Spice made by Shulton, then smelling Old Spice made by P&G; Stetson 20 years ago, versus Stetson now; PS Fine Cologne 25 years ago and PS Fine Cologne now. Its not what I'd call a mess, but it lacks the golden glow, richness, and depth it once had.

Its not a complete disaster. I'm very happy to have it, and I might even seek out another bottle one day simply because it makes a nice after shave. But, as is said of so many other great American classics, its just not the same.

ReHan
ReHan

its a subtle cologne that lasts not for quite longer,
has barbershop vibe and smells like most of the aftershave colognes in the market,comes in heavenly big bottle for long year use.
best after taking a shower on a warm sunny day,it gives a soothing effect.
manzoor

MichelVaillant
MichelVaillant

A very "American" fragrance. I would group this with Stetson Original, Mary Kay Tamerisk, and perhaps even with Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne. They are not smell-alikes, necessarily, but they all evoke a quintessentially old-school American feeling, like a meeting among founding fathers, or a visit to a barbershop in the old west. 1776 would be the best of the bunch among those; it is quite good.

williamvargas
williamvargas

a nice surprise for me , blind bought a bottle based on a couple of member's trusted reviews. so glad I jumped on it.. price point very reasonable.. just a refreshing soft leather oriented fragrance. I get a soapy type resinous warm fragrance.. my bottle is a large splash, I applied a very large amount in my palms and splashed over my face and neck after shaving., used it the way you would an aftershave.. I did put some into a small 10 mil atomizer that I had left over. gave myself a couple of spritzes on my tee shirt. funny how something like this comes along and puts a smile on my face.. my thanks to many that have talked about this. This is a winner!..This is such a nice masculine fragrance and is a pleasure to wear this. my thanks to Wes who has mentioned this much earlier and to Cytherian. I value their input on fragrances and so glad I paid attention. I am a fan..

cytherian
cytherian

This is nice. I quite like it. Very pleasant semi-sweet leathery fragrance. It comes in a terribly cheap looking bottle. Even the label is a primitive adhesive sticker, with a metallic finish that comes off when some of the fragrance runs down over it. You'd never think that a decent fragrance would be inside such a bottle. Nevertheless, it's a very good one, almost bordering on gourmand without being too sweet. And that's all I'm going to say about it. Join the Elsha club (buy it at Sampter's), but keep the chatter in hushed tones so that the price doesn't go up, OK? ;-)

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I found this one in the men's store in my university's bookstore; it's the only fragrance they sell! $20 a bottle! My friend's grandfather wore this so I bought him a bottle. I'm told it's something of a favorite among a certain class of men in Utah...

It's a nice, creamy leather scent - same as it always was, apparently. It compares favorably, I think, with Chanel's Cuir de Russie (which I find too floral) and Hermes' Bel Ami - that's how good this is. What's more, it lasts a lot longer. It is absolutely not one of those reformulated into nothingness scents. On my wrist I can spray it and seven hours later it's still there - this is rare for me. It's built with good, old-fashioned longevity.

I agree with the reviewer who stated that Elsha 1776 decanted into an expensive bottle with fancier labeling, etc. would make a great showing.

I have decanted some from the splash bottle into an atomizer - it goes on better that way.

The only con: It gets unbearably soapy after a few hours in summer heat. So this is definitely not a warm weather scent. Cold weather only - fall and winter. Maybe sweat spoils it? I don't know. But it wears MUCH better when it's cold.

---

Update: This is really a marvelous winter fragrance. (It's been an unusually cold winter.) The more I use it, the happier I am with it. Longevity is old school great, and in cold weather it smells just delightful.

calyx93
calyx93

Love this scent - so glad it's been added to the database.

Simply a beautiful leather with cinnamon and birch for a nice warm glow - and the last post is right. This, in a more posh bottle, would easily be believed as an expensive niche fragrance - and niche it is ... just not the cost.

I decant mine into a quality atomizer and find it applies better that way - although splashing it on is great too!

fstrw7
fstrw7

This is a yummy, creamy leather or Russian leather according to some reviewers.
Painfully dirt cheap but not the juice itself. If one were to empty a bottle of this in a upscale or niche bottle you wouldn't be unhappy. The bottle itself is utilitarian and is a splash bottle.
Either sex can wear this but men may be more comfortable with it.
If one likes leather fragrances this is as close to a blind buy happy as one can get.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Elsha 1776 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Elsha 1776, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify 1776 by Elsha. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of 1776 by Elsha represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.