Designers » D E » Oriental Woody « Groups

Ungaro Emanuel Ungaro for women

Ungaro Emanuel Ungaro for women
dislike

Ungaro by Emanuel Ungaro is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women. Ungaro was launched in 1977. Top notes are aldehydes, rose, coriander, orange blossom, jasmine, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are iris, turkish rose and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, cedar and cardamom.

Aldehydes Rose Coriander Orange Blossom Jasmine Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Poison Esprit de Parfum

Ungaro Fragrance Reviews

leslee.long.5
leslee.long.5

One might anticipate a tsunami of aldehydes with Ungaro but they surprise you with a light breeze, freshening and marrying notes together into beautiful accords.

This scent is so beautiful, my scent consuming skin likes to hide it from me, but it delights me nonetheless. Layering with some moisturizer gives it a boost for me.

The biggest surprise by far for me with this blind buy was the scent of the pineapple guava tree we had in our backyard as I grew up. She is still growing, blossoming and dropping her heavy load of fruit, which smells lightly sweet and aromatic, a tang of bergamot like citrus and pungent skins mixing with the juicy floral.

There is something unique in this fragrance which sets it apart, if not my perfect and ideal scent, it is one that seems to combine some of the best aspects of many loved categories and is different from the rest of my wardrobe.

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I like it, but now I just can't leave it alone.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Ungaro

Emanuel Ungaro

Aldehydes Rose Coriander Orange Blossom Jasmine Neroli
Bergamot Lemon

Iris Turkish Rose Lily of the Valley

Sandalwood Tonka Amber Patchouli Musk Vanilla Cedar Cardamom

Launched in 1977 by the Italian-French fashion house of Emanuel Ungaro, and formulated by an uncredited nose, this is an exquisite floral Oriental. It has been compared to Joop! for women, and Dior's Poison. It was ahead of it's time and looking forward to the 80's with their super charged scents. In today's world, this is an antiquated piece of perfumery but like a beautiful vintage Emanuel Ungaro fashion show evening gown it deserves to be studied, admired and even put behind glass in a museum. I have had the pleasure and honor of wearing it yesterday on my first day of Milan Fashion Week and will wear it today for Day 2. It exudes an Italian haute couture vibe. It's a violet or pink evening gown, boa, long full floor length gown, diamonds and tiaras. A womanly fragrance. It has a little bit of what would later turn out to be Emanuel Ungaro's Diva. So if you like those glamorous retro fashion fragrances, this will be an experience and an education as it was for me. Thank you to my girlfriend Claudia in Milan!

The opening is fabulously aldehydic and wondrously old fashioned. If you're familiar with aldehyde notes in perfume, you know what delirious zest and freshness it has. This freshness is also coming from the citrus notes: a sharp lemon, a delectable juicy bergamot and orange grove neroli and orange blossom. The citrus is just right, not too much not to faint. And never once does it come off as the unisex orange or citrus cologne for men type of smell. It's a sweet orange blossom as it begins. Then it plunges into the heart of sweet flowers. A rose is most assuredly in the heart. This is a powdery rose, similar to the powdery rose in Diva and with the additional 2nd note of Turkish and iris, you get a very lovely talc powder type of scent. Very powdery. A sweet jasmine is the only white floral note in the mix, but it's noticeable. There's a green lily of the valley as it begins to dissipate. The powder notes fade and the green floral scent of lily with leaves emerges. This smells like a warm sunny summer afternoon walking in an Italian villa's garden. The garden is a rose and jasmine garden. The femininity is never cloying. It's a mature scent for the confident and consciously feminine woman. Hats, dresses, gowns, make up, diamond jewelry. She is never seen in a pair of pants. She is the Italian President's wife, or perhaps in an older era, the 19th century, the Queen of Italy, the wife of Vittorio Emmanuel in a glittering tiara, fur stole or ermine, and a velvet gown. This is as sophisticated and as elegant as a grand dame of Italy can be. Ultimately, the way the fragrance wears in the first hour or so, is citrus-floral with green notes. Very traditional and classy, and very Italian. It has a sweet soapy powder boudoir fragrance air as well. It can be worn both in the day time and the evening but it's formal wear only. Smells like a million bucks.

As the fragrance begins to dry, the amber note which is the dominant base note, develops quickly. It's a soapy kind of amber, clean and glossy, like a gold bar of soap. Luxurious. Then I detected further green notes of herbal patchouli leaf, and woodsy notes of sandalwood. This sandal is absolutely gorgeous and provides the fragrance with an Oriental character but it never does transport you to the Far East. She is still a dignified European lady.

A cedar wood provides a pleasant woodsy smell and it later turns into a sweet vanilla. The scent is a little less complex than most 70's or 80's fragrances. There are not that many notes. Even Opium by Yves Saint Laurent has more notes. This is between being too boring and linear and excessive. It's a well balanced almost perfect classical fragrance. It's not a chypre as it lacks further woods and greens, but it's a beautiful floral Oriental with roses jasmines and patchouli-sandalwood. In the very final stage of it's performance, there is a warm musk. The musk is like pure skin on skin, or the scent of your own natural skin made warm by the sun. Smells like an amber sun tan lotion.

I can't tell you how much I am loving this fragrance. Ungaro lasts forever, all day and into the night. The aroma is absolutely beautiful and dreamy. I have received compliments on it and will enjoy wearing it all week. Fabulous.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

This smells like dark amber and neroli with a smokey wood background. It's warm, animalic and flowery. And the floral part of this fragrance smells like Senso. Overall it is magnificent! Love it!

Delila
Delila

Ungaro (vintage/dark amber) comes across as smooth, sweet and Amber-dominant, with great depth and a little complexity. It smells edible without being excessively gourmand. Vanilla lovers are likely to enjoy it.

Don't be fooled by Citrus being the primary accord listed here. You can see from the community's votes (above) that citrus is not even detectable in Ungaro by most people, me included.

At first I was unsure about Ungaro, but I very soon found myself craving it from time to time. Always a good sign!

It has punch and some sillage, but is short-lived on me - just a couple of hours and it's all gone. That works at some level though, because it's like snacking on something you crave and feeling satisfied by that until the next time. But for longer outings you may have to bring a mini with you.

juzme
juzme

This one was created loong before 1991.
I have a bottle from 1990 in blue and another one,completly different ,clearly v much older.
Same name ,different bottles with different content.
My guess is that it's only a typing mistake.Instead of 1977 it's more likely 1987.

perfumecritic
perfumecritic

Oops, this one was launched in 1991, not 1977. Diva was Ungaro's first fragrance launch, a huge success, and is still in production today.

...by the way: This is definitely a 90's perfume (beginning of the 90's, not 1977). The packaging of the vintage EdT I purchased now shows a signature and copyright by Emanuel Ungaro of 1991.

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

Great vintage perfume I am glad to have now in my wardrobe. Similar to JOOP! for women (1987)? Yes, slightly but JOOP! for women screams "Power Woman" while Ungaro is far more rounded and seductive. I am addicted...

junior halston
junior halston

It's hard to believe this scent came out in 1977 because for me it screams 1985. I can see a woman in a sharp cut big bold shoulder pad Claude Montana suit sporting this scent. You know with hair a mile high and large gold button earrings to boot.

Watch out she means business!

fetishforperfume
fetishforperfume

To me, this is as if Joop! and Poison had a baby and named it Ungaro...superb!

kl99
kl99

A lazy summer sunset.

The first time I tried it on my skin Ungaro was a rainy summer afternoon. I always associate this perfume at that time, and I wear it when it rains.
Unconsciously, perhaps because Ungaro placed the sun. Or maybe for that subtle melancholy that brings with it the fragrance.
That slight sadness and joy that brings summer rain.

I think that, yes, it is a cheerful scent but at times melancholic, romantic after all. At times it reminds me of Roma (Biagiotti) or Montana (Parfum de peau), and Senso of Ungaro.
Had he been born today would be called Sense Intense, probably, that would have a whole other formula with a vague memory of his predecessor.
Fats flowers at the start, a delicate amber, a thin sandalwood, little metal splinters, powdery base. smell like pink oleander blossoms, or white bindweed in the drydown.

Iris_it
Iris_it

This is another gem of the past ! One of the booziest openings I ever smelled , so rich and full it reaches the extreme limit of being too much but holds itself at one micro-millimeter from that limit . This is some kind near a "Stendhal syndrome" in a bottle : wear too much and will be surely overwhelmed by its beauty . Big oriental with such a lovely rose in the heart !

This begins with at least a nod to Chanel No. 5, but then goes in a more oriental direction. However, it never becomes anything like Opium or Obsession; the floral/aldehydic chypre type opening persists but is softened by the mild oriental base. As you might expect, it's rich and natural smelling, so long as the aldehydes don't bother you. The floral notes are obvious at first but then recede substantially, so that a guy could wear this if he likes "unisex" scents. Apparently, it's very difficult to find now, but I was fortunate to recently obtain a large bottle and can swap half ounce decants for those who can't find it anywhere else.

Galya

it's a fabulous ,strong as a red wine perfume! red rose,juicy lemon,hot spices,a lot of wood,it's a pity that now it's so rare perfume!
1 spplash is so potente and longlasting ,with a huge scent. i'w like to recommend it to all.

lapurrla

Now I wonder if Ungaro de Ungaro is better suited to the cold as I was shocked to find that I didn't like it so much when I used it last week (the end of Spring in the Southern Hemisphere). The votes above are all for winter so I guess that's my answer to the problem. Thought I was being fickle again! At least I don't feel desperate for a full bottle now. My new full miniature will be fine for some time as perfume is sending me broke.

lapurrla

What a beautiful perfume. I purchased a mini for mum but as it wasn't quite empty I tried it on. Fantastique oriental! Worth searching for. Lasts for hours and may I add that the base is warm and enticing. A pleasure to wear.

etmpewo

Try the German Amazon page (ending with .de instead of .com). Sometimes they still sell the original (to be seen by the picture of the original bottle). I did the same thing and I got the vintage! Not cheap, though...

etmpewo

One of the very few oriental fragrances I actually love. I smells rich and expensive.

queenkey
queenkey

I found this lovely fragrance in a bodycream at a Florida perfume shop some years ago and was stunned to know it was in a discounted area in the middle of the store. Yes, does remind you of Joop, but is more floral to me and mellow. The Jar of cream is a beautiful shell shaped lapidus blue and the bottom is frosted glass. And the it labeled "seduction du corps". Interesting!

nonnative
nonnative

Mh... not really my cup of tea. I expected a powerful fragrance and I found the power of this lasting only a couple of minutes. It's a classic of the 80s but not as long lasting as the scents of that time. Anyway I discovered how good were the fruity notes in that period. Round and sweet, not sugary as they are now!

Galya

E' molto-molto buono,sa un po' di Poison vintage. Un po' pesante e di lunga durata,ci vuole poco per creare la deliziosa scia intorno a se stessa.....

SensualBlissInFL
SensualBlissInFL

I sooo want this perfume back again. Afraid to buy on E-bay to only find out is a knock off at more than double of the price of its original. This scent is just fabulous, so much so that even men would stop me to ask me what perfume I was wearing. I have yet to find one that compares to it, sigh.... and I have many. This was my signature scent, the little left is reserved to very special occassions.

I soo agree, I was wanting the Ungaro original so much, but the Joop! really does it for me!!!

guest_tst
guest_tst

very upset ungaro d' ungaro was discontinued. the new relaunch is no way close. thanks for the joop tip.

guest_Miss Delicious
guest_Miss Delicious

*Ungaro by Ungaro* is absolutely very similar to the classic vintage JOOP! for women. Maybe Ungaro is a little less "aggressive" than JOOP!Femme. If you like discontinued UNGARO, don't worry - try JOOP! Femme (in the blue box). You will not be disappointed, believe me.

I used to want this in a large bottle so badly, until I got a mini and it reminded me VERY much of Joop! the original. Since I think Joop! is already a masterpiece, I decided to give up on the dream and enjoy my Joop!
:-)

Kterhark
Kterhark

Ooh, I was very, very lucky to get a sample of this from Turquise, who was way to generous. I"m dumbfounded why this was continued. I had no idea what the notes were when i put it on, but instantly thought "WOW!"

This is warm, slightly spicy, heavier scent that you just want to wrap yourself up in. I like it because it is smooth and not harsh (often aldehydes push things over the top).

the citrus opening is well-behaved, and hte florals make a respectful entrance. Nothing is guache or offensive here, it is just heavenly.

Bring it back!

lucertola
lucertola

Lovely fragrance which I am wearing nearly everyday since I was lucky to buy it. Discontinued long time ago and it is really hard to find. My interest started with small miniature which I loved. Very fresh impression with the first sniff, slowly changing into lovely warmth. It's not very 'spicy' and not too sweet, perfect for everyday use.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ungaro by Emanuel Ungaro. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ungaro by Emanuel Ungaro represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.