Designers » D E » Woody Spicy « Groups

Javanese Patchouli Ermenegildo Zegna for men

Javanese Patchouli Ermenegildo Zegna for men
dislike

Javanese Patchouli Ermenegildo Zegna for men Pictures Javanese Patchouli Ermenegildo Zegna for men Pictures Javanese Patchouli Ermenegildo Zegna for men Pictures

Ermenegildo Zegna is launching a new collection of men’s fragrances - Essenze by Ermenegildo Zegna in collaboration with Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. The collection is expected on the market in December 2012.

Five new fragrances embody values of the company - passion, commitment, vision. The fragrances are: Italian Bergamot, Sicilian Mandarin, Javanese Patchouli, Indonesian Oud and Florentine Iris. The designer was inspired by his luxurious high-end men’s Ermenegildo Zegna Couture Collection and hopes it will put forward the house’s name in the world of fragrances.

Perfumers who worked on perfumes of the new collection are: Pierre Negrin, Frank Voelkl, Harry Fremont and Jacques Cavallier. All fragrances have one ingredient in common: Calabrian bergamot, but have very different compositions. An interesting fact is that Zegna owns the bergamot harvest used in this collection.

Javanese Patchouli includes woody notes of patchouli, as well as bergamot, pink pepper, tonka bean and cedar wood.

The fragrances will be available in 124 ml (4.2 oz) flacons. Each fragrance and its flacon have a different color, to mark the central ingredient of the fragrance.

Patchouli Calabrian bergamot Pink Pepper Cedar Tonka Bean

Javanese Patchouli Fragrance Reviews

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

What a joke! From the note listed you would NEVER, EVER be able to guess right how Javanese Patchouli smells like. And let me tell you, this beauty smells like a sweet, sweet dream.

Or a luxury department store.

The biggest surprise is that Javanese Patchouli has a naturally sweetened aroma. It is sweet! But not in a gourmand-y way. The sweetness reminds me of the nectar of neroli, slightly flora and honeyed, but not animalic or cloying. The patchouli is more on the woody side likely due to the cedar note. The end result is a clean, clear, and smokey patchouli composition. Very elegant.

As the perfume dries down the tonka note gets pushed forward, and you have a sweet, herbal woody base that lingers for hours. No earthiness here at all. Overall the scent lasts for 12 hours on paper strip, which is usually around 6-7 on me.

It's quite unfortunate this line is promoted as men's EDT. I know at least 2 (this and Indianian Oud) that are totally unisex and would sell so well in the female market. As for me? I really don't mind getting a bottle.

FedEx
FedEx

Not a bad stuff but nothing so exceptional or extraordinary. Tipical for designer frags it opens geourgeos in attempt to catch your attention. Unfortunately it shifts almost immediately to very simple patchouli fragrance. Yes, it sounds natural but lack any character and presence. It stays extremely linear after the first few minutes (which sometime is not bad) but in this case I am really bored. Sits close to the skin and after 2 hours is barely noticeable. For sure doesn't deserve such a high price tag. You can find much better patchouli based frags on the market.

amde8766
amde8766

True meaning of masterpiece!

DBF85
DBF85

Even though this perfume is for men, I am going to purchase one for myself.

Absolutely amazing.. the perfect amount of patchouli that should be in a perfume.

ralopa
ralopa

Not just grows on me, but gets me addicted in. It's definately a masterpiece!

I invariably cannot help myself to sniff my wrist like taking some sorts of drugs. Oh, yes, it is more addicted than drugs. LOL.

The best part is a fantastic patchouli-cedar combo. I didn't notice that at first, before many many times wearing and detailed comparisons with other patchouli frags, which is really owesome, and very unique among dozens of patchoulis on the market.

The only flaw I need to point out is that the longevity of 6-9 hrs is not long enough to enjoy.

Rating: 9.5/10.

Bapi
Bapi

Myra, the fragrances are different as you know, so are the longevity of each one. This one in my opinion has an hour's longevity more than the Iris Florentine. Both are supreme releases. Good luck.

appleorchard
appleorchard

I agree with christmas comparisons. It smells christmas tree and patchouli. Sweet, warm, yet clean. Absolutely amazing.

RBZ
RBZ

Smells pretty much just like Brutus, perhaps more sophisticated and classier. Overpriced though very good. Apparently they use "natural ingredients" per my conversation with SA at bloomies.
Solid 9/10

gillbert
gillbert

This is one of the professional patchouli fragrance. Perfectly blended. Combination of bergamot and pink pepper make it fresh & light spicy. Tonka bean and cedar wood absolutely well balance to produce sweet and warm vibe. This perfume is high-end level. Perfectly clean fresh, sweet and warm. I love wearing it for work. Very easy to wear and pleasant. I give it 8.5/10

Aleccsei
Aleccsei

CLEAN DIRT _______________________________________________________

2 weeks after I had the great fortune to discover 'FLORENTINE IRIS', today I discovered This magnificent fragrance.

It starts with an explosion of fresh and clean patchouli. I had expected for the patchouli to be dirty and sweet/dark, but Zegna surprised me with this, because it is very fresh and very clean (probably because of the combination of bergamot and pepper).

In the dry-down I got a lot of flowers. I don't know how, but 30 minutes afterwards, all I could smell was a very feminine bouquet. I fell in love with it.

Longetivity: - 7/10
Sillage: - 7/10

All in all: 10 out of 10 points - It feels unique.

myra83
myra83

hello guys... i need your help.. actualy i was confiouse with this one and iris florantis. can u guys help me which one the most longevity btween this two from zegna line .ned your help

walking44
walking44

This is absolutely amazing! Smells like Christmas. Warm sweet and spicy. Like a men's version of angel without the gourmand.

If you don't expect a straight-forward head-shop classic patchouli a-la Reminiscence / Les Nereides, if you're not looking for a dry and dark patch-centered composition along the line of Sombre Negra / Mink or for the challenging roughness of Mazzolari Lui and Farmacia SS Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano, this Zegna might fit your bill.

A polished take on the main theme which opens with a zesty citrus while immediately uncovering a slightly camphorous patchouli note. The main player here is devoided of any of its challenging facets while still somehow mantaining some of its inherent earthy quality. The whole fragrance is supported by a designer-inspired woody-tonka base that makes it both quite safe and very easy to like. When it comes to *polished* takes on this note, I still prefer stuff more complex comps such as Coromandel but give this a chance as it's indeed pretty solid.

Pros: Solid, easy to like, versatile.
Cons: Simple and overpriced.

FORTEZZA
FORTEZZA

This is probably my favorite patchouli dominant scent, that being said I don't like patchouli enough to warrant this full bottle worthy but it's nice for sure.

gfbl
gfbl

send pm if you have a bottle for sale or email at [email protected]

klaaon
klaaon

When I first sampled the Zegna's Esseze line, the standout was Indonesian Oud (with the perfect balance of medicinal Oud and deep rose, which was unique yet smells professional enough for work). However, it was undeniable that there was quality ingredients and perfumery mastery within the entire range.

I am glad I returned to smelling the range many times over and Javanese Patchouli finally revealed its magic. It's front and centre patchouli, yet it has been miraculously refined (unlike the more often found hippie quotient it exudes). Must try for even those who are not partial to Patchouli, as well as Patchouli lovers just to undestand how this wild note can be beautifully manipulated.

Jay T
Jay T

Vétiver d'Haïti saute sur ma peau, Javanese Patchouli mais se trouve tout simplement là. Il finit par senti comme la saleté, dans le bon facon, mais ne réalise pas assez pour justifier le prix.

jesseo11
jesseo11

Very earthy, spicy and natural smelling fragrance. I also find it quite fresh. Reminds me of being out in the woods, stepping outside in the morning and taking in all the smells of the wet grass, the water and the forest around me. Great scent and longevity, average projection but definitely the kind of scent that will hang in the air behind you. Not something I would wear every day though and that makes the price hard to justify.

hwangjinseok
hwangjinseok

Just one simple sentence. This just represents an image of a rich and successful man with style.

bartoagung
bartoagung

im a javanese, this hould be my scent then.. :) love it!

braindead83
braindead83

in the Zegna store I smelled this a few times and the first impression i received is a very distinct similarity to Coromandel by Chanel, which I have and love.

If i were to have a personal sample of this fragrance to experience I would be able to provide a more detailed and in depth review.

Still, it is enjoyable, but the resemblance is too close for me.

Saeidreza
Saeidreza

Little sweet, oriantal, smells like Coromandel by Chanel. Nice!

lovescully
lovescully

While I've never been to the island of Java, I imagine that this is what an Indonesian forest floor might smell like; dark, earthy, woody & musky. Zegna's Javanese Patchouli is a very distinctive, slightly sweet and solid representation of the core ingredient of patchouli. At first I detect the patchouli straight up, quickly followed by a sweetness that I'll asume is the pink pepper and tonka. Like Zegna's Indonesian Oud this is a fairly linear scent that doesn't develop too much from first spray to dry down. Right through its whole life (of about 8 - 10 hours) I can clearly detect the patchouli.

Although Zegna's marketing would have you believe that each of the Essenze collection is built on or contains Calabrian bergamot (from Zegna's own plantation would you believe!), I cannot detect any citrus whatsoever in this composition. Not that it detracts from the wonderful smell; it's just my observation. In contrast, all the other Essenze line (which i have now extensively tested) do contain some citrus notes; including Indonesian Oud which does have a very fleeting representation in the top notes.

I don't have a great deal of patchouli heavy fragrances in my collection, but if I was asked to liken this to anything else, it would have to be Luten's and Sheldrake's Borneo 1834. Like 'Borneo' the presence of patchouli is front and centre, however Borneo has a sort of camphorous quality that I don't detect here. Of course Borneo also has cacao, which Zegna's latest does not.

The only other fragrances I am familiar with by Frank Voelkl are his RSVP & Signature scents for Kenneth Cole. As much as I like those two quite a bit, this is a definite step up as far as quality goes.

Overall, while this is not as perfect a 5 star fragrance as I find Indonesian Oud to be (mainly due to its lack of versatility), this Javanese Patchouli is a very solid and delightfully earthy addition to Zegna's new Essenze line up. 4 and half stars.

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

I tried the lab sample of this fragrance.it is warm spicy with very clean patchouli note.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ermenegildo Zegna Javanese Patchouli fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Ermenegildo Zegna Javanese Patchouli, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Javanese Patchouli by Ermenegildo Zegna. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Javanese Patchouli by Ermenegildo Zegna represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.