Designers » D E » Oriental Woody « Groups

Fat Electrician Etat Libre d`Orange for men

Fat Electrician Etat Libre d`Orange for men
dislike

Fat Electrician Etat Libre d`Orange for men Pictures Fat Electrician Etat Libre d`Orange for men Pictures

Fat Electrician was presented in 2009 by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu. The fragrance is based on vetiver notes with light, metallic nuances of olive leaves, creamy touch of vanilla, opoponax and myrrh in base notes of the perfume. The fragrance is available as 50ml edp.

His beauty would have been his greatest asset. One imagines he was raised in the big air of Texas, his soft skin scrubbed by ears of wheat, his eyelashes curled by grappling with grace against a blinding sun. A Steve McQueen lost on city asphalt. A fisherman without a line, he was made to be hooked by others, to believe in his fate without knowing it, to wreak havoc and forget it over time. Youth for women-of-a-certain-age, stock for late-night parties, a partner to accompany the wealthy of Palm Peach on nature walks, his splendor is consumed in the service of others. Now, a Fat Electrician in New Jersey, his talent depleted in his sexual decline. To celebrate this beauty which cannot be recaptured, a splendid vetiver is required - an ode to bygone eroticism. Antoine Maisondieu has willed him white, metallic, silver like the ancestral green of olive leaves. But also sweet, demure, addictive like a chestnut cream – vanilla bean, opoponax and myrrh in the bottom notes. Intensely concentrated, resinous, flawlessly unrefined, it conveys a sensuality of contradiction. Because all beauty carries within itself the knowledge that it will not last.

vetyver Oive Leaf Opoponax Myrhh Vanille Marron glace Whipped cream

Black Vetiver
Woody Mood
Behind the Rain
Paradis Perdu

Fat Electrician Fragrance Reviews

pgs
pgs

To me this is exactly-undeniably- how an old church in a small Italian town smells like.

Which means tons of myrrh.

I fail to see what an electrician might be doing there, but I'm proud of being a sinner and will never wear this.

Betsywoolbright
Betsywoolbright

Victoria Regia, Etat Libre D'orange exists to titillate and to offend. If you're offended, they're probably glad, and they probably believe they're doing their job well.
Sorry for my bluntness.

corkscrewcurly
corkscrewcurly

@Victoria Regia

If a review is given a lot of "thumbs-down" by Fragrantica members, it disappears from the perfume's page - that this may happen is stated clearly at the bottom of the reviews.

Your comments are not being deleted by Fragrantica moderators - they are still on your personal profile; your reviews are being given the thumbs-down by other users and are disappearing from the perfume page for this reason.

castel66
castel66

Vetiveryl Acetate and vanillin in a perfect blend. Daring for the name, the juice is otherwise classy and complimented. One of my favorites.

BloomPerfumeryLondon
BloomPerfumeryLondon

Fat electrician features a complex Haitian vetiver heart. The versatility of this material is really brought out in this perfume. Its' slightly popcorn/ edible side comes out with the use of vanilla and olive leaf as well as the very unusual cream of chestnut accord. Some say this is a definite masculine perfume, however I strongly disagree, it is very much unisex especially as it is more subtle than other vetiver fragrances.

BloomPerfume
BloomPerfume

Fat Electrician is a celebration of the glory of vetiver (or a ‘semi-modern vetiver’ as the brand themselves choose to call it). It’s a concoction of sweet, dark and resinous materials that uses specific ingredients to highlight the different aspects of the (frankly divine) Haitian vetiver heart. In doing so Etat Libre d’Orange have turned the humble root into something all creamy and warm.

The inclusion of vanilla and precious resins like opoponax and myrrh bolster the fragrance’s plummy, caramel undertone whilst the chestnut cream and olive leaf facets manage to perfectly accentuate the core ingredient’s sultry nuttiness.

Tremere
Tremere

Terre d'Hermes for your twenties.

fuggerone
fuggerone

phat vetiver, spicy and creamy..one of the best vetivers around, just...whoa!

mendwillie
mendwillie

Wow, that's so good, vetiver blend, but that does not turn green or aromatic which makes me love even more, that fragrance becomes creamy with the beautiful oriental and mystical mix of myrrh and opoponax, which miraculous and delicious evolution I totally love all the ingredients.

I evaluate this:
Smell: 9.5/10
Projection: 7.5/10

shanester35
shanester35

A sweet, yet sturdy, vetiver. One of my favorite notes gets a a creamy makeover that is such a pleasant companion, whether it's day or night. I do love that salty note that others have mentioned. It gives it a little punch, like a bit a Maldon salt on top of a pastry balanced between sweet and savory. Caramel with a hint of rosemary. And it lingers beautifully.

Madrona
Madrona

Interesting take on vetiver. I haven't smelled a lot of vetiver, but I like Encre Noire, so I can put my finger on which note it is. Flanked by green and balsamic notes, it makes for a quite musty fragrance. I can't say that I find it particularly sweet. I have no idea when I would wear this, nor can I put my finger on what it smells like, but I certainly don't hate it.

DrageMan
DrageMan

It's ok. Smells a bit like old-school gym mats. I own it, wear it rarely. On me the performance is very underwhelming, especially at the price point.

Johnnyhelvete
Johnnyhelvete

I was so excited to try this. Then very dissapointed when I did.
To me, it smells almost identical to Versace blue jeans.
And that is like less than half the price of fat electrician.
It's not bad. It's Just identical.

Glorypea
Glorypea

"Semi-Modern Vetiver" is a really nice, accurate descriptor for this one - far more descriptive than the actual name! If you like vetiver - and I do - this is a must-try. I haven't smelled many fragrances that manage to do a really nice, appealing vetiver but this one does. Vetiver can be so heavy and overwhelming but this one preserves the best of the scent while taking the edge off with the vanilla and sweet fruits. Pretty good longevity, more sillage than I typically like - but on the other hand, I got more compliments on this at work than any other fragrance I've worn so far.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

I don't know whose butt crack some reviewers here are claiming to smell in Fat Electrician but if it happens to be that of an elegant female please introduce her to me because I'll smell that crack all day long. I get a smokey, nutty and sweet vetiver from it. Very enjoyable, sweet and just pleasant. People love it on me. About 5-6 hours in my skin. Delicious vetiver. I think people have been staring at FE's butt crack graphic for too long.

johngreenink
johngreenink

This is indeed an unexpected vetiver. It seems to shift between two vibes: dark and creamy. On it's dark side there is a slightly medicinal / plastic quality, but I can also attribute this to that unusual note of olive leaves. Then the creamy note seems to come from the sweet chestnuts and vanilla. To my nose there is a lot of vanilla in this scent. I've never smelled a perfume that combined patchouli and vanilla before so it's a first for me. It's much more wearable than I'd expected at first, I'm definitely enjoying the process as it evolves on the skin.

Kogitsune
Kogitsune

Slightly smoky and sweet chestnut cream. On my wrist, it stayed close to the skin. Gourmand and a little dark.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

oh wow, i wasn't sure WHAT to make of this scent but i am loving it. vetiver is hit or miss for me but this is a definite hit. i get a vanilla-y whipped cream vetiver at first then in comes the chestnut adding a nice nuttiness to the scent. the resins are in the background supporting but this is mostly nutty vetiver. i cannot wait to try this again in winter, i'm sure it'll be stellar.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

Whoah!! Opens with something amazingly like the beautiful, grassy smell of fresh tatami mats! There's something green and leafy in there, too, presumably the olive leaf. Raw and very naturalistic. As it dries down it's reminiscent of rubber and the ozone smell of burning wires. Reminds me a bit of Black (Bvlgari), one of my all time favorites, but greener, earthier, woodier, and less vanillic. The rubber note is also much more subtle - it's more of a suggestion than a prominent note, with the green and woody notes more in the foreground. In the deep dry-down it develops a note that's delightfully similar to the smell of Japanese books! It's a very distinctive incense-y, grassy smell and I absolutely adore it! Between the fresh tatami in the opening and the Japanese book smell, this one of the most "Asian" fragrances I've encountered. Another to add to my "To Buy" list from a house that's rapidly becoming one of my favorites!

diedofennui
diedofennui

A soft skin scent. No hint of unclean body despite the dramatic claims to the contrary. Warm sun-kissed vetiver over a pillow of whipped cream. A surprisingly natural juxtaposition. The top notes held a slight burned rubber scent for me in the first 30 mins, very faint. Now it is a sweet warm woodiness that reminds me of early summer walks in the countryside as the ground begins to heat beneath the sun with a melting vanilla ice cream cone in hand. Innocent, comforting, entirely pleasurable.

Beantoes
Beantoes

This is wonderful! It's a Herby green smokey scent with a veil of sweetness floating around behind it. Longevity is awesome, lasting over 8 hours. I like it on me, but I love it on the husband. It doesn't smell dirty at all, nor is it a fresh type of green smell. It's comforting and intriguing. Can't stop sniffing.

houstcs
houstcs

Fat electrician, more like fat pot head. Smellz like a handful of fresh budz, the crystalized expensive buds.

Jassar
Jassar

I cannot get enough of this scent. It is earthy, resinous, dry, sweet, green and sexy at the same time. The vetiver and resins are mixed to perfection. I look like an idiot sniffing my arm all day.

Danadoo
Danadoo

When I read reviews of this, it's like I'm smelling a completely different fragrance from everybody else! I do not get ANY of the "sweaty, dirty body odors" that others are noticing! All i get is smoky incense..it smells like a church!

shushkin
shushkin

I have been sent a sample of this from a fellow perfume addict and its definitely a new love. Yes, there is a big bang of vetiver but the marron glace and myrrh really compliment vetiver beautifully. My first impression was that it reminded me so much of the smell of crushed mrytle leaves. The result is very woody, spicey and a touch sweet but not overly so. Im so glad that I dont get anything animalic. I dont think the Etat Libre choice of perfume name does it any favours for what is actually a very lovely fragrance. I was wary myself of trying it and have only done so when sent a sample. Its a perfectly unisex and casual, easy to wear fragrance.

Le parfum c'est chic
Le parfum c'est chic

Une amie m'a récemment offert un coffret d'échantillons de Etat libre d'Orange. Ce coffret m'a permis de découvrir ce parfum au nom si peu invitant...A ma grande surprise ce parfum boisé est tout simplement sublime. Après Jasmin et cigarettes et Rien c'est mon troisième coup de coeur de cette maison pas banale. Je le porte avec plaisir mais ne dévoilerai pas son nom...

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

I get a strong cannabis opening, this fades to a herbal smell. Then it sinks into the trouser area, and the buttcrack is indeed revealed.
It smells of faint sweat and disappointment. It is a kind of sad smell, I would not want to smell like this.
Someone spilled their herb jars onto sweaty pants then cried and their tears mingled.
Could be called Emo Electrician. I am going to cry now.

arrode
arrode

I really enjoyed both the concept and the creative writing that went behind the creation of this fragrance. Now, would I feel confident telling anyone that I'm wearing something called "Fat Electrician"? I don't know. Either way, Fat Electrician opens nutty, ever so slightly sweet, metallic, spicy, and reminds me of the smell of a home improvement shop. Be warned, this is a strong vetiver! Maybe I get the image of a home improvement shop because this is called Fat Electrician, but it really does have a masculine handyman kind of smell. I eventually had to scrub this off my skin because the home improvement shop smell grew stronger and stronger as it wore and it started to give me a headache, so I'd have to say this is not to my taste, but it's different and for that, I give it props.

Dinkum
Dinkum

Yep, here is the BO, butt crack and the whole shebang. Sounds good, no? Sounds rather revolting, but this is actually a VERY WEARABLE potion, IMO.

There is something strangely intimate and cozy about this one. Dirty, ALMOST sweaty, smelly, but still in a very good way.

The "dirtiest" vetiver I have yet encounterered. Not elegant at all.

Intimate. Feels like I´ve been hugged by a big friendly giant. And I love it.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

The Eau de Parfum of L'occitane's Eau de Baux, yet sharing only a note in common. I was perplexed at how they even dried down similar. Eau de Baux however, has more of what people describe as the B.O. effect. I don't mind it, as I don't perceive it that way. Cartier Declaration however, has accomplished capturing that essence. I like to think of it as herbal-spicy, whereas fragrances like Spicebomb will deliver a more synthetic spicy aroma.

Immediately to my nose it's a bright start quite crowd pleasing, certainly I liked it!
The odd mixture of elements which is a signature of this houses slightly wacky but innovative creations. That juxtaposition of slightly green, almost aldehydic opening which settled to a kind of vetiver but with a developing vanilla behind, shouldn't work but just does.
The first thing I noticed as it settled was the resinous nature and real quality at that, myrrh and opoponax creating a hint of a medicinal vibe but then mixing well with a creamy and nutty gourmand element.
I'd describe the top notes as 'foreground' because just as you've zoomed into the heart of the picture, the main theme of resinous vanilla, it forces you to step back slightly and reveals something sharper (nearly metallic) green and fresher from the beginning. Sure it's a bit weird (didn't you expect that?) but very interesting as it develops.

This like many Etat Libre d'Orange fragrances just works! Fat electrician is to me yet more three dimensional perfume very well executed.

Much like some of their others I've given a rave review but I'm still unsure whether I'd want to wear them on a regular basis...such an odd thing...the focus being a chaotic nature which is obviously a huge contradiction...that's Etat Libre d'Orange for me.
I appreciate the artistry but could I live with it? Possibly not.

msmonochrome
msmonochrome

This opened up sour and sweaty with a slight metallic tinge, and for the first 10-15 minutes, I thought my liking my previous tests of this scent might have been multiple bouts of temporary insanity.

However, the obligatory ELDO merry prankster moment doesn't last long, and this warms up as it dries down into a sharp modern take on classic ideas....dry vetiver, a touch of resin, a slightly smoky myrrh, and a tiny touch of vanilla that here reads more earthy bean than sweet dessert.

Sillage is mild, as is projection.

The day I chose to wear this was a busy day of errands, and every so often I would catch a whiff and stop to wonder what smelled so good, only to realize it was the new scent I was wearing.

Fat Electrician isn't much at first glance, but the more time you spend with him, it gets a lot easier to see that he was quite handsome in his day.

infernofromoccultdiary
infernofromoccultdiary

It is acceptable as a perfume for used cars.
On body is boring. And insignificant.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

Vetiver is a favorite note of mine and I can't say I've smelled any vetiver-dominant frags that remind me of this. Totally unique while still being wearable (in that perfect sweet-spot that ELDO nails on occasion). It opens up smelling like a man who applied a vetiver cologne 7 hours ago, and has since spent the day working. Not hard manual labor as there is nothing overtly cuminy or sweaty in that sense, but perhaps something that required a good bit of bending over, so there was just a slight, damp, clammy, sour sweatiness forming in the creases of his body. Its quiet enough to not be unpleasant in the least bit and it successfully conjures up an image of a dad.

Now that I think about it, Fat Electrician is a very fitting name for this! It opens up devoid of sweetness but slowly and surely a warm, slightly nutty candy note becomes prominent and the sour soft-sweat of the opening recedes. The majority of the scent's life is this sweet dirty vetiver with the occasional reminder of the opening's pleasant damp love handles. Reading this on paper makes it sound absolutely disgusting but it's so incredibly accessible and enjoyable. The contrasts are wholly new to me but I cant shake the familiarity of this, I'm almost positive I've met a man who smelled like this in my childhood. It should be noted that this doesn't smell like I thought it would after reading the notes, I pick up no oppoponax, bay, or myrrhe but I suppose those could be contributing to the worn-sweaty vibe. Good stuff, this. 8/10

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

As a vetiver lover I have tried all kinds of vetivers, dry, dirty, sweet, bitter, etc. In my opinion Fat Electrician is a dirty vetiver. As a matter of fact all I can smell here is vetiver and myrhh. There is nothing sweet in Fat Electrician. If you are a true vetiver lover this one is definitely for you. Etat Libre d'Orange brought out the true vetiver in Fat Electrician.

Pathfindeer
Pathfindeer

Fat electrician finally we meet... Honestly if someone smelled like this I would hug him even if I was in danger of dying from electrocution. Don't get me wrong, this isn't your everyday everytime every occasion type of scent, although with the right personality I could imagine that happening as well. What do I get out of this? I wont make a fuss about it but what seems to dominate on my skin is a creamy but earthy on the same time due to vetiver marron glace! If I had to simplify everything down that would be the conclusion I would end up with. If your a bit on the sweet side, yet want it to be more of a masculine type of scent instead of smelling like candy-candy this would be a great choice.

Every perfume acts differently on each person, but this perfume performance seems to vary a great deal. Sample it before you embrace it or reject it, but certainly spend some time with it before you befriend it or cast it away. Pardon my english, it aint my mother tongue.

My rating considering the sillage,longetivity and smell... Shockingly a 8.5/10

Works like a charm and in fact it is a copliment gatherer

psebi101
psebi101

Starts with a nutty and smoky vetiver with a dusty sweet touch. I get something fruity also, but that passes after the first half hour. Going into the dry-down, this will be dry and smoky, with vanilla and vetiver. It is a take on the rooty and not grassy vetiver and definitely not a pure vetiver fragrance, as it is placed all the time in the background. The emphasized note is the opoponax. And I guess I understand the whipped cream note they list. I like it, find it very pleasing.
It sits close to the skin and has ok longevity.

Projection: 5/10

black_orchid
black_orchid

I wore it yesterday and I couldn't understand where is the sweet things in that. Do you thing this is sweet vetiver? Fat Electrian not beautiful perfume in my opion. Yes! I agree it is interesting but aslo weird! It is love or hate but I can't decide whose side am I on? I don't know! I just know that it is not beautiful.

Vexel
Vexel

Fat Electrician is, to me, an interesting fragrance in the sense that the impressions of individual testers seem to vary wildly. Reading some of these reviews the thought that we must be talking about entirely different fragrances tickles the back of my mind. Apparently skin chemistry plays a major role in how this fragrance evolves. Perhaps I have just such a perfect match of chemistry but this one of the few takes on vetiver that I truly love, let alone like.

When first applied it has an extremely fleeting buttery overtone not unlike theater popcorn. Thankfully that aspect fades very quickly into the background to provide a richness to the fragrance that I consider to be one of its hallmarks. If you nose-squint you might interpret this as the olive leaf accord after it settles though it's more of a faint olive oil in my opinion. At this juncture vetiver takes over as the star of the show and remains that way for the life of the fragrance. FE is not, however, out of tricks by any means.

Soon after application a sweetness starts to become apparent that ELdO suggests as "chestnut creme". Eh, that'll do but I'm thinking that it's merely a by-product of three other notes, namely the vetiver, opoponax, and vanilla. Opoponax, or "sweet myrrh", has a pretty characteristic smell that I'm typically not too enthused over but here it's worked with some black magic as with the vetiver and it somehow just clicks and works, fantastically at that.

About the same time the sweetness emerges something begins to give off a spiced facet that reminds me more of nutmeg than anything else. Eventually, a faint smokiness is detectable in the background that recalls Comme des Garcons' Blue Encens or Jaisalmer.

Projection is moderate but I get excellent longevity.

All in all it's a refreshingly different take on vetiver with distinct oriental tones and perhaps even some gourmand nature peeking through. A strong recommendation from me to those of you who consider yourself unimpressed by vetiver on the whole. Just make sure that you give it a minute or two to air out past the 'whole lotsa' butter popcorn' phase before making a snap judgement.

Edit: I'd previously mentioned I didn't get much of an actual vanilla. After some time of wearing this it's become easy to pick out a very obvious wave of vanilla when I first spray it.

megrim
megrim

This is a tough one for me to review.

I'll start by stating straight out that I adore it. It's one of the most compelling frags I've smelled in years. One of those rare beasts that I just constantly want MORE of.

F.E. opens with a beguiling, odd, fresh dirtiness. I know that makes no sense, but neither does a lot of this frag. The opening is almost like lemon, without the lemon part. There's vague acidity, some sweetness, a nutty/creamy element from the cream and chestnuts. Whilst the vetiver underscores the whole shebang, I wouldn't actually call it the star. Rather it plays out as a solid background for the other, weirder, notes to dance and play across.
There's a definite metallic, copper wire thing going on that from time to time borders on body odor, this isn't as unpleasant as it sounds. Rather I find it compelling, and dare I say it, sexy as fuck!

All in all, I think Fat Electrician is one of those bizarre scents that borders on the insane, even the revolting - but just manages the perfect balance of extremes to make it a wonderful experience. The dry, dirty vetiver with fresh, green olive. The resinous myrrh and lemony-harsh opoponax balanced with sugared chestnuts and whipped cream. A delicate balance that if one ingredient was even slightly increased or decreased would've been a disaster.

Sillage is surprisingly good, upper end of moderate/lower end of heavy. Longevity is moderate to long lasting depending on the weather. It wilts a bit in hot, dry Australian summer conditions but with 100mL bottles at very reasonable prices this is by no means a deal breaker for me.

Enjoy on sunny, brisk spring days with beer and friends.

big70tom
big70tom

By far my facvorite Vetiver. Longest lasting vetiver i have found. Unique take on it, and something i love to wear.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Dark and dry. This reminds me of ESP by Dior and Prada Amber Intense. All have a dry melanchony tone to them. Dirty rather than clean vetiver scents. Nice for cooler weather but not really my type. Longevity is over 8 hours with average silage. I am surprised that folks get vanilla, hazelnut and amber? I don't pick up on any of these notes.

tbean
tbean

I get a strange sensation that I've never had before with a fragrance: this actually smells like a person wearing a perfume, not a perfume itself. It's like it has already blended with someone's own skin smell, not my own :)

I actually get the picture of the electrician: he has worked hard because I get a light salty/sour (sweaty?) vibe. He is friendly, accessible with the sweet, creamy vanilla/nutty smell and he is wearing an old fashion vetiver based cologne.

weird but strangely addictive, a must try!

jtd

I can feel the woody amber with my nose, and there is an acetone, shellac, sour plastic quality that I smell as the volatility of the note pulls it away from me.

And then I don’t really smell anything.

Great name, perplexing olfactory experience. It comes and goes in 5 minutes. A discrete, tidy performance that leaves me in a chin-scratching state.

I feel like I should applaud.

icingsugar
icingsugar

I don't get the reviews which say this smells dirty or anything like the "fat electrician" as depicted in the picture/story. The concept is, after all, about the nostalgia of youth...not about the electrician as he is now. If you want overheating circuit wires, Lush's THE BUG is the fragrance for you.

This however is an extremely dry hazelnut fragrance. So dry in fact it brings to mind a carpenters workshop, all that wood. There is a little sweetness and at times you get hints of creamyness which is then stamped back down by that dry hazelnut scent. I find this (and I'm a girl) very pleasant, very wearable.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Another homo-erotic scent: So funny! The irony! OMG! First image that came to my mind sniffing this is exactly what it says on the tin: a heavy set sweaty electrician bending down while checking the wires and revealing the ass crack. EXACTLY THAT!

In terms of olfactory story-telling, or shall we say "picture-telling" a MASTERPIECE, but a pleasant smell it ain't!

Yes the basis is vetiver, which can be sometimes a lil' dirty but to me I love vetiver when it is earthy, yet green and fresh. This one however is plain filthy: perhaps together with olive wood and myrhh....it is just a dusty, dirty, muddy affair.

And yes there is also undeniably the smell of warm metal wires...sadly the spark does not ignite me!

It's a definite "no" from me. Unless you are into chubby, sweaty, workmen....or wanna smell like one........."no comment"!

10 points for making it smell like what it says on the bottle. 0 points for olfactory aesthetics.

Q80
Q80

this one smells like vanilla sublime with whip cream on a vanilla scoop ice cream ..... then broke the spell with an orange citrus notes.
i've always believe that orange breaks up any flavor and conquer if it ever been mixed with anything but citrus unless mixed up with chocolate.
on this perfume the mixture of orange & vanilla gives the impact of sensing the metallic note which leads to approving it is the smell of an electrician. kind of harsh but dreamy in the same time.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This is a bit cursory...testing the very end of a manufacturer sample vial. It opens weak with just a little vanilla, and smells remarkably similar to vanilla extract. Only after a few minutes does the vetiver begin to appear, but it's very subtle. This begins the slow transition to a somewhat greener scent than the topnotes suggested, but also heralds further weakening. It's almost as weak as the vague traces I got from their Secretions Magnifiques...I'm anosmic to the really nasty note there, and I almost wonder if I'm anosmic to some notes in FE too. I start to pick up a bit of cinnamon in the base, but that's about the end of the story. It's nice enough, but still rather plasticky.

For practical purposes, there's nothing this could do for me that L'Occitane's vetiver hasn't already done at a low price. I really like the vanilla/vetiver combination and I need to find more examples of it (Vetyver Haiti or the Hermessence?), but already FE is way more synthetic-smelling than the L'Occitane. Or if you're more interested in the cinnamon/vanilla combo, there's a whole laundry list of spicy orientals that do the trick better.

pravda48
pravda48

It really is "ELDO does Comme Des Garcons". This smells a lot as I remember their Black smelling (the one w/ the heart face bottle). Peppery vetiver is the #1 thing I get, plus an unusual, smooth, oily creamy undertone. Very fun combo and it has an interesting 'texture' to it.

Worth a try if you'd like your vetiver with a twist of something... different, as ELDO is apt to do. So so glad the picture doesn't come on the label though! ;)

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Fat Electrician is my idea of a cozy comforting scent. Perfect for stormy nights and snowy days, nestling on the couch with a good book and a cup of tea. It's deep and rich, but never too sweet, there's always an ever so slightly bitter quality from the myrrh.
The chestnuts are very prominent on my skin and in combination with the smoky vetiver they create the most gorgeous, warm, soft scent. The chestnuts almost create a foody scent, but not quite, the vetiver is there to ground them. Later in the development of Fat Electrician the vetiver becomes drier, more grassy and woody, and the chestnuts disappear.I don't know what opoponax smells like in its pure form, so I can't say I recognize it here, but there might be something more than vetiver going on. A slightly resinous qualtiy, some almost smokey sharpness. The vetiver becomes greener towards the end of the life of the fragrance. What a great development!
I don't really know why Fragrantica lists this perfume as masculin. The story is about a man, sure, but so is the story for Eloge du Traître, and that's listed as unisex. This is easily unisex too.
By the way, I accidentily layered this with Je suis un Homme, and boy, do they make a great combination!
I want this, and I do hope that one day someone would ask me what I'm wearing.

gottfried
gottfried

Don't let the name fool you, very wearable scent.

Don't know why some have said it didn't last long, very long lasting on me.

Here's the story of my first sampling of Fat Electrician sprayed it on didn't think much of it, didn't even expect to like it much, about a hour later I get a whiff of it from under my shirt WHOA beautiful strong smokey, woodsy, vetiver scent maybe a little dirty. delicious. And the dry down will stay right around that smell albeit closer to the skin, 5-6 hours later.

ninjaove
ninjaove

Makes me want to put up a shelf, renovate something,go to the hardware store/wood store, drill a hole or any thing. somehow I got a going to the hardware-store with my dad when I am five years old feeling when i first smelled this. I even once were it to a hardware store and i feelt like i got better service from wearing this scent :) It smells like a honest, simple, great guy. Down to earth, not flashy or show-offy pick up artist or braging buizniz man or rich brat smell, just good old nice. It's still sexy, don't worry. acculy ELDO's story about this scent is not far off. ABout smell: it's kind of sweet and dry, REALLY dry (like sigrun from "riktigparfym" said: like stnading in a indian field pulling up vetivier roots by hand in the sun in the middle off summer.) sweet warming and dry and great and comforting.

jtd

And then I don’t really smell anything.

I feel like I should applaud.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

Started promising like encre noir but ended up like warm paper from the photocopier. All this within the hour it lasted. Ridiculous when you think most etat libre scents last up to 12 hours normally. Maybe some else will have better luck so at least give it a sample

kfleumer
kfleumer

I'm so happy I've got a boyfriend. And that he has his birthday next week so I can give him this devine smelling potion. From start to finish F.E. keeps you mesmerized. A meandering close harmony song: shifting but so together. The drydown is to die for. Try it!

Buster
Buster

Smells like a freshly pulled Champagne Cork.

Na0
Na0

What to say... Don't hesitate ! Go for it, now !

That's the greatest vetiver scent I ever smelled ! I mean, green as the vetiver should be, but so warm, so lovely and sweet ! The Marron Glacé is absolutely fabulous and give it a gourmand background !

And then, myrrh and opoponax give it a little sharp side, but not agressive ! Resinous and spicy !

So you have a very earthy scent, mature, masculine... But thanks to the spices and the marron, it has a lovely sweety gourmand background.

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

A sweet opening of anise...

So fast the vetiver appears, earthy as it is...

But Myrhh gives a resinous accent here, bittersweet though.

I can get some Artemisia on the begining too - without any alcoholic note of Absinthe but an herbal accord.

I would say it is a different vetiver scent.

A friend of mine remember me we can get few similarities to Comme des Garçons 2 Man.

al.to
al.to

A good scent, one of the most wearable of ELdo range.
VEtiver plus sweet things and a touch of vegetal leafts,
But what kind of vetiver?after a long list of test trying my choice is vetiver bourbon(like Miller Harris' vetiver).
A damp deep brown moldy fusty vetiver very manly;
Neverless with the other ingredients it became very easy to wear a little salty and melancholy,in the mood with the theme of the scent.."fat electrician"
a scent to use with jeans never formal never exigent

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

I've been testing this on my husband. It's a sensory journey into the past for me. It's the smell of our TV burning Christmas day 1979. Nothing quite portrays that electrical burning, soldering smell with black smoke. It's the smell of my Dad making things in the garage. He wasn't a fat electrician, he was a slightly cuddly electronic engineer. It made me cry.. quite amazing. It's not something to be worn.. it's my childhood bottled for posterity.

audoire
audoire

I find this very similar to Vetiver Tonka, but it's about half the price and far more fun when people ask what you're wearing.

Guest_Kharnak
Guest_Kharnak

An eye opener. Something sour at first, like Pepperoni, orange, plastic, savory like Pizza, Pizza dough. But then becomes very pleasant with a Sweet powdery Vanilla. Green, something green like cellophane over vegetables at market, Celery, Parsley. Smells like the City, at night. Walking past a grocery store closing up. the Dry down is far more acceptable with the sweet powdery vanilla.
Never quite loses that cellophane, un-Airconditioned Vegetable stand Accord.

Helsinki
Helsinki

Fat E is the saltiest, strangest vetiver scent I've come across. . . And what else could you expect from "Dennis the Menace" of the perfume world, ELdO.

The picture of electrician's ass is fragrance advertising at its most efficient, at least for me:
Whenever I hear "Fat Electrician", like a Pavlov's dog, I cannot avoid thinking a big, round, fat ass. And yes, Fat E does have the "sweat" note. Don't sweat it. Just try it.

stephan
stephan

I smell vetyver and opoponax, and a little vanilla. Sometimes I smell Cent Wafers?!?
I think it's a great vetyver, not as cloying/disgusting as Rocky Mountain and longer lasting than Guerlain or Encre Noir.
Unfortunately, the opoponax is just a little too much for me.
I can smell it all day long but my coworkers don't notice that much.

ETA: now I smell the same opoponax than in Shalimar!

Grottola
Grottola

Myrrh and vetiver. Or, clove and vetiver is what I'm getting. I guess the myrrh smells like cloves. And, that's about it. Clovey myrrh and vetiver with the slightest drop of vanilla.

Fat Electrician isn't bad, but I find it watery and lacking. I get the "electrician" out of this one more than I do anything "fat".

This is what I call a different take on vetiver. A solid interpretation that is able to emerge in this crowded territory. A fine mixture of opoponax and vetiver laying on a slightly sweet vanilla base and enriched by hints of incense and resinous elements throughout. Easy to wear yet distinctive, simple yet perfectly refined. A perfect everyday's fragrance and one of the best releases in the Eldo's range. Great if you're looking for a modern masculine but you want to avoid the clean-laundered synthetic-citrus loaded with woody maber.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

Smells exactly like self-tanning-cream!! Salt air, sea, the scent of burning sun, +45 celsius, an over-crowded mad beach by the meditarranean sea, in late july. Synthetic plastic Self-tanning-cream and sweat, sunburnt red bodys... AND myrrh !! Perfume made as an piece of art, so strange - made ugly-beautiful.

I get a lot of bittersweet vetiver from this fragrance. Mixing with myrrh, and it gives me an impression of cedar but not very strong. The overall scent is very nice woody. It's clean, modern, and manly, but not too over the top. The vanilla is a quiet one here and not exactly what I call "sweet". Sadly, at the price tag of $80, I have to swallow my urge and walk away. (T~T)

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Starts out natural and herbal smelling like celery-apple juice. The combination of vetiver, myrrh and vanilla is unusual, providing a scent that’s greenish, herbal, and sweet all at the same time. It’s nice enough in its own way, reminding me of some all-natural compositions that I’ve smelled, but it only lasts a couple of hours before fading away to nothing. It’s an oddly named fragrance, especially given its mild herbal-earthy character. I really don’t get it.

mosesdleon
mosesdleon

This is a grubby, sweaty vetiver with a slightly metallic rubbery start. I didn't enjoy the scent when I first tried it, but it's growing on me as it dries down. Smells like someone attractive who hasn't washed recently enough. Faintly sordid and naughty.

batabidd
batabidd

"Fat electrician" opens with a dry yet sweet vetiver, and then a synthetic metallic-sour sweet accord.
The vetiver note in the juice can be calificated as disturbing, not disgusting though, extremely arid, manipulated in an industrial way.
Highly fake, but retro-ike in another hand.

The fragrance develops with the same concentrated aura, sometimes resinous, salty, ( but not aquatic or marine) and raw.
The scent juxtaposes the dry, sweet-sour undertones of the manipulated vetiver with the most sweeter, balsamic smokiness representation of opoponax and myrrh and changes from silver to green, then salty and then deep sweet.

"Fat electrician" dances between the natural and the synthetic, but is a wll blended perfume, and even it is quite linear, it has a distinctive character: an arid, salty green presence that I love to bits.

rebella
rebella

This is another strange but still wearable perfume from ELO. The vetiver starts off very bitter, earthy and even rusty. Strong, heady and like a bush of vetiver with roots and soil...

Hiding under the vetiver I detect a buttery note, I guees it´s the electrician that has been buried alive under the vetiver plants! :)

Anyway the "fat" note isn´t really disturbing, only making the scent more interesting as if it wouldn´t be interesting enough without, cause Fat Electrician is a quite different take on vetiver.

A refined play with light and darkness, a perfume making illusions on your skin... is it edgy, dark and bitter or smoth, sweet and gourmand? Actually both, like the best of both kinds, normally hard to combined notes.

A must try if you´re in to vetiver. Longlasting with good sillage. In my opinion suitable for both men and women.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Etat Libre d`Orange Fat Electrician fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Etat Libre d`Orange Fat Electrician, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d`Orange. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d`Orange represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.