Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Ambre Eternel Guerlain for women and men
dislike

leather
Ambre Eternel Guerlain for women and men Videos
Ambre Eternel Guerlain for women and men Pictures Ambre Eternel Guerlain for women and men Pictures Ambre Eternel Guerlain for women and men Pictures

In January 2016 Guerlain expands their collection LES ABSOLUS D'ORIENT and introduces the second edition in dark purple color with golden color details, inspired by the magic of the East. GUERLAIN AMBRE ETERNEL was created as "subtle interaction of delicateness and heat, a fragrances intertwining with secrets of the East". Composition of the fragrance is woody-oriental and aimed at men and women.

Perfumer Thierry Wasser created the new fragrance AMBRE ETERNEL out of notes of real ambergris and incense, adding spicy aromas of cardamom and coriander, surrounded with woody dry notes and masculine leather. As contrast to intense masculine notes in the base Wasser selects orange blossom providing delicate floral shades to the perfume. Juiciness and intoxicating scents originate from peach and ylang-ylang, which, along with orange blossom, create the heart of the composition.

The second fragrance of the collection GUERLAIN Les Absolus d'Orient Ambre Eternel is available as 125ml Eau de Parfum.

Cardamom Coriander Cinnamon Ambergris

Tuxedo

Ambre Eternel Fragrance Reviews

DR521
DR521

Mitsouko Amber. Guerlain Tribute Amber. This is a floral oriental, not a straight amber perfume.

Ambre Eternel is a frame carefully filled in with thoughtful elements that reference the past.

It starts out with exotic peach and ylang and orange blossom swirling in a heady mix with spice and a woody amber. As its cloud settles it feels like a riff on vintage Mitsouko, which had a spicy cinnamon note in the late 70s/early 80s especially in the parfum de toilette form. The peach and orange blossom form the heart (there are moments when I smell L'heure Bleue) supported by the very pretty amber accord that suggests gold flickering in darkness. It lasts all day, leaves a great sillage for at least the first few hours of wearing, and projects increasingly closely but very prettily thereafter.

This is probably skin chemistry dependent, as it appeared differently on the strip than on my skin. On the paper strip I got a lot of medicinal wood almost overwhelming the florals and some camphoraceous elements that never appeared on skin. On skin it was an elegant, mysterious and warm oriental that compelled me to purchase a bottle. Easily one of the best fragrances in the Saks Fifth Avenue of its type.

Dark-X
Dark-X

Powdery ambergris with a spicy edge. Not as unique as I hoped.

This came up in a conversation with another perfume lover while talking about Estee Lauder's Amber Mystique. He said Ambre Eternel is even better. Nope, I disagree. I prefer Amber Mystique.

Still, Ambre Eternal is a good ambergris fragrance if you are in the market for ambergris.

Old Herbaceous
Old Herbaceous

Tried this on paper in a European airport this week, so my experience does not reflect scent on skin. To me, this is much more masculine than feminine. It has a strong, assertive opening, which I didn't love. I didn't hate it, but it was too much for me. I never really got the floral notes or the peach in the middle, although I did pick up a resemblance to Mitsouko, so my nose must have sensed them. However, as Ambre Gris dried down, it became this softer, gentler combination of leather and woodiness with ylang-ylang underneath and a bit of cardamom. I think I would love this on my husband, especially if he smelled like this in the morning after applying it at night! I really think this must be tested on skin, as it has a warmth, even on paper, that is begging to be smelled on a living being.

ptigerlily16
ptigerlily16

Have loved the first hour of this, very intense and lovely- but now, just like arteditors said, there is this camphory, eucalyptus thing coming out that is quite literally making my nose burn! I've read (Kafkaesque) that the synthetics were way overdone on this one. I'll wait and see what happens for the rest of this. It has such a warm peach note, at least at first, and this beautiful darkness underneath, that I'm tempted to layer vintage Mitsouko on top just to see what happens.

orpailleur
orpailleur

Incredible power and intensity but still smooth !
But don't try to taste a great bottle of Burgundy or Bordeaux while wearing this parfume: you won't be able to smell its nose.
I'm afraid this one will not be in store for long, as ambre gris is very hard to find on the market for producers and about as expensive as gold per unit of weight. I secured 500 cc in 2 bee bottles in Paris boutiques (not available anywhere else in France).
Never had an ambre gris flagrance like this - a true masterpiece ! To be used only once or twice a week to keep its irresistible magnetism.

nataroma
nataroma

It had been quite a while looking for this smell.It's very nice and elegant.when tried first time it seemed a bit strange but gradully I started to like it.As it stays more on the skin the frgrance changes,it looks as if I have worn different perfumes.At first it is more feminine and as it dries down it seems more masculine.I love all the notes in it.It was worth buying it!

DBF85
DBF85

Walked into the store to smell it .. sniff sniff .. suddenly I'm at the cashier passing my visa card.

This never happens to me. This perfume is a forever top 5.

Magical smell that keeps me in a happy place. Oh Guerlain .. you did it again!

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

First impression is almost like gramma's lipstick, sweet, chalky and powdery. Then the leather kicks in and it becomes dry and soft and masculine. I really like this once I got past the initial spray. It reminds me of Donna Karen Unleaded for Men back in 90's. Its not an in your face fragrance, but a soft evasive whisper, which is way sexier in my book, but I do wish it packed a little more punch. But, a guy on a first date would probably score with this on.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

At the start I get a fresh ambergris and incense that quickly becomes spicy. At this stage the scent smells medicinal like you are in a hospital waiting for the doctor. Underneath this there is something foody trying to peak out under the medicinal spicy ambergris.

After a while I can smell the leather and woods but over that there is this warm sweetness mixing in with the ambergris. It smells like some sweet desert that is cooking and just slightly becoming burnt. So if you can imagine a sweet leathery salty ambergris that is spicy and medicinal, and imagine that concoction been heated then that is this fragrance.

I have to say it's quite exotic but just not my cup of tea.

This is so unbearably leathery and woody, I just can't stand it!
Smells like something old. I know it's supposed to be super classy and mysterious, but I can't enjoy it.

star127
star127

The smells like hyper realistic burnt bakelite...one hour later like sweet burnt bakelite...

Mugler_Lover
Mugler_Lover

I cannot wait to try this in the cooler months. Right niw it is 90+ degrees out and this smells awesome but heavily cloying. I think it will be perfection when the temps fall. I was gifted a sample and fell in love. HAD to have it!

gtabasso
gtabasso

a very nice creamy amber, not the best or my fave but lovely; long lasting and dries down to a little sandalwood and hint of leather

Rerik
Rerik

Guerlain`s Ambre Eternel is a really addicting smell.
Leather mixed with Ambregris makes the smell animalic and dirty. I get the intepretation of something burnt.
Staying Power and projection are good.

the_badger
the_badger

The opening reminded me of Profumum Roma's Fiori di Ambra, that dusty, narcotic type of amber who some refer to as "mothball". But soon all that will settle down to the familiar base found in Santal Royal, with the leather taking the main role. Later in the drydown the stinky side of ambergris starts revealing itself, but for most of the time you'd just smell like an old furniture (in a good way).

Definitely a scent for an older man/woman but it was a nice experience.

arteditors
arteditors

I was lucky to have sampled this one at a guerlain counter. I am a big fan of the guerlain house so any testing of their perfumes is a must and an opportunity since their line is limited in Cyprus. At first when I sprayed it there was a medicinal smell coming which didn't sit with me very well.

There is this note coming through that really put me off. I sensed a lot of powder and a lot of iris with vanilla, the guerlinade as some know it. I loved the guerlinade it came out beautifully but it struggles as this is a perfume marketed to both women and men so there is a duality and confrontation between the masculine and feminine notes. I accidentally smelled it after 15 minutes and that medicinal scent choked me and I started coughing. I suffer from asthma and I almost never choke on a perfume. I was disappointed as the composition is beautiful yet something didn't sit very very at all for me. This medicinal smell has been described as sweat, musty. It might be animalic officially, yet animalic perfumes sit alright with me, like jicky and chanel no5.

I wanted to like it. all the orris, vanilla, powder, sweetness was heaven but the note made me think no. As i was driving back home I kept smelling it and I as I had started to like it, I thought hm I should buy it as it started to sit well. Dust, powder a beautiful guerlinade, more guerlain dna than it's older sibling santal royal which I definitely prefer and own. After a bit the medicinal evaporating smell was back, I thought no, not buying it.

If I would wear it? If it were a present yes I would, however I would not pay for it. I would spray it in a very open air room and I would avoid sniffing me from a short distance. I appreciate its craftsmanship and all the work that has been done to produce this, I respect it. If it hadn't been for that medicinal or specific animalic smell... you would have been mine and gladly pay for you ambre eternel.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

From a sample provided by a kind fragrance friend... This is really quite captivating! At first, I thought there was too much leather for my taste, but as the scent evolved, I discovered it is just right. Ambre Eternel sure does have a nice bit of ambergris, and it is sensual and draws you 'into' the scent. I notice Iris/Orris along with the Ylang-Ylang and Neroli, and these notes appear after a few minutes on the skin. Semi-sweet and a little dusty/powdery.

This is not (as I had feared) an overwhelming, powerful Arabic type of fragrance geared more to men. I'm enjoying my sample very much, and will think about a FB for late Summer and Autumn. I suppose skin chemistry really plays a role in how this develops, and sampling is surely the first step.

Very, very nice fragrance!

kristinare
kristinare

Love this fragrance. The amount of leather is just right and the ambery dry down simply to die for. I find it very similar to Ambre Eccentrico. The Armani fragrance is more focused on oud, where Ambre Eternel on peach.
I am disappointed by the longevity and projection. For such a rich scent the juice is pretty weak.
It does not cost a fortune, but still too much for a scent that does not last longer than 5h. I did expect similar performance to Santal Royal.

korro25
korro25

Very very very similar to Dior's Cuir Cannage. If Cuir Cannage is an old lady's leather bag, Ambre Eternal is the leather bag of a younger woman.. Its like the lighter and cleaner version of Cuir Cannage, with less longetivity and weaker sillage..

Calvini
Calvini

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I really REALLY like this.. I've always thought Guerlain's strong suits were gourmands and florals; to me they just don't [usually] do western orientals justice (aside from the vintage stuff).
This opens VERY dusty (in a woody powdery way, so I agree with the comment below about iris & violet being used), as if the ingredients they used had been sitting around for a hundred years (really suits the name ETERNAL), almost the same feeling I got when I first tried Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche, but MUCH more pleasant :)
Then the dust goes away and a sweet (fruity?) gooey "goodness" leaks out and eventually envelopes the whole scent.
I can't say it's leather or ambergris (I've never smelled an actual one, but I'd imagine this is not it); all I know is that it's oriental, ambery, and yuuumy!

theladymay
theladymay

This is obviously a quality fragrance and I imagine it will be popular with many. I'm glad I didn't buy a full bottle blind though, because it just smells awful on me - like dirty leather. I've never been able to wear strong leather perfumes and this would lead the pack for turning horrible on me quickly and staying that way for the life of the scent. The second time I tried it proved to be at least as bad as the first and I had to scrub it off after several hours. Good longevity.

iMaverick
iMaverick

A review of my first impressions from a bottle I snagged off eBay at lower than retail (YAY!):

The opening is rather big. I immediately get the impression of sweet and warm amber radiating forth with fruity, floral and vanillic notes that round the scent off in the beginning. For a short while, I start to get the impression of gourmand notes coming forth, just as a dry aspect of amber starts entering the scene. The gourmand impression I get is that of Japanese tea cookies for some reason. The scent definitely made me crave for some.

The next phase was rather dramatic. I got the impression of the tension created by the warm amber and the dry hot aspect of amber, like that of incense wafting out of a censer. My head was transported to a beautiful space of gilded metal work and sheer silken drapery bathed in red and gold lights, and a large beautiful censer on an ornate pedestal in the center of the room. The leather notes create an aura, and ambience around the scent. At this point, the scent is not so big, but settles to a warm-dry amber with a glow coming forth from ylang-ylang and orange blossom.

The ambergris is the surprise towards the end of the development. In the beginning you wish for it, wondering where it is, and it's hard to pinpoint the ambergris, that salty musky ambery notes that make me wanna say "yeah, that's it there! That's ambergris." But it comes forth at the end, surprisingly musky and sensual and very animalic. The drydown is leathery, ambery, powdery and smoky.

The scent is undoubtedly unique. Very arftully done. I get the overall impression of a very powdery amber. Very balanced between the masculine and feminine. It definitely has the style of Guerlain, but don't go thinking that it'll rival the complex iconic scents from the turn of the 20th century. You'll never smell something like that again unless you're willing to find a perfumer to devote literally years to create it. Guerlain and many perfume houses have now gone simpler because most people don't seem to care or is easily bored and wish for something new all too soon. Let's also not forget the budget constraints on creation and manufacture. I was expecting a little more luxe coming from a collection line, but the box was pretty plain and the bottle looked cheap, a strange shade of purple with a cheap looking tassel with a decal label slapped on it. Even the Shalimar treatments look better than that. The importance is in the creation of the juice I suppose.

nakedcity
nakedcity

Back in the good old days, Guerlain+Amber=Bliss. Apparently that equation is no longer true, thanks to Wasser who is not my favorite nose by a country mile. I'm so mad at what he and Guerlain are creating nowadays, that should have been enough to save me the heartache of hoping against hope that this could be the amber to end all ambers. I don't mean to offend anyone who likes this, maybe I'm spoiled by older Guerlains, but this scent is not what should be marketed as high art at higher prices; this, simply put, smells like human sweat on recycled cardboard. Give me a break!

qatarkind
qatarkind

I tested today in Qatar its leathery Ambry guerlind. I don't know why it reminds me of Jicky

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Brand new in the leading London department store:
Very plummy-peachy (and somewhat screechy), leathery, spicy, orange blossom nectar on the back drop of this animalic leather amberigis.

It is intense, it is pungent, juicy at first and boy, this is a siren!!

The damson, aubergine, maroon, burgundy colour conjures up similarities with B9 by Bond #9, Aromatics Elixir Black, Tom Ford Plum Japonaise, both the bottle colour as well as the juice.

While it's darker older sibling, Royal Santal, is somewhat more wearable (for men), this one to me is definitely more feminine and just a bit too sickly sweet in the first few hours.

The dry down however is super nice and definitely worth waiting for (and rather manly).

I am confused on this one and cannot make up my mind yet on whether I like it or not. I have to try it once more but I can definitely say I prefer Royal Santal as a creation.

7/10 my very first impression based on a wrist spritz sample (and I am being generous). But overall, yet another solid effort and undoubtedly it will sell in the bucket loads to the Arabs. Score!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Oud is not listed, but dominates in composition, what else on background is unclear due to oud dominants. Masculine men fragrance, average longevity, strong silage at the beginning.

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

Not Amber. Ambre Gris :)

mikemuscles21
mikemuscles21

It's so funny this is coming out now. I was shopping around for something possibly like this yesterday.

I loved the previous Santal from Guerlain. Excited to try this one next.