Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Habit Rouge Dress Code Guerlain for men

Habit Rouge Dress Code Guerlain for men
dislike

Habit Rouge Dress Code Guerlain for men Pictures Habit Rouge Dress Code Guerlain for men Pictures

Habit Rouge Dress Code by Guerlain is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. This is a new fragrance. Habit Rouge Dress Code was launched in 2015. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser. Top notes are bergamot, neroli and rose; middle note is spices; base notes are woodsy notes, leather, tonka bean, praline and vanilla.

Bergamot Neroli Rose

Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne

Habit Rouge Dress Code Fragrance Reviews

Madrona
Madrona

Mostly getting bergamot and leather on my skin. No praline, maybe a bit of rose, not a lot of spices either. Somehow salty, reminds me a bit of L'Ambre des Merveilles actually. Different from what I expected!

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

An elegant gourmand? Perhaps as it is not over the top and Tonka is not front and center. It's more of a gourmand for gentlemen. For those that like sweet scents that are discreet. The opening reminds me of the original and that's why a few people may say that it's dated but as many have mentioned, the dry down is heavenly. The woody notes which I assume is oak blended with the leather keep this from becoming a typical gourmand. This can easliy be anyone's signature even if you dress formal most of the time. Longevity is between 6-8 hours and sillage is moderate the 2 times that I have sampled it.

Yowzer-Pei
Yowzer-Pei

It is quite rare for me to reach an immediate decision to want a full bottle from the first spray of a sample. HR Dress Code is one such fragrance. Unfortunately I will have to decide whether to get one from the Paris boutique as Aussie retailers do not have it available.

The tweaking of the HR formula to include the oft-mentioned praline note brings this classic straight into the modern era. Where some may label HR's smell as 'dated', Dress Code is very wearable while still faithfully paying respectful homage to the character of its forebear.

Its opening with the wonderful blend of citrus and praline (which I couldn't stop myself sniffing) is something to behold. The dry-down shows very strong links to the one I enjoy in HR. Those who like sweet gourmand-ish scents should get a sniff and enjoy this perfume now that Guerlain is bringing it back, hopefully never to make it a limited edition again.

I find the projection moderate and longevity is very decent. I get 6+ hours on this one. Being a sweet scent, it won't be for serious settings like a sombre office but what the heck... it is such a great scent it s a shame to not wear it.

I imagine making a classic new again isn't something that is easy to do but Guerlain did a great job with this one. Well done indeed. This scent is a 9.5/10 in my book. It's a pity there isn't a Guerlain boutique in Oz as ordering from France is expensive.

Perfumato
Perfumato

My dear ,
Do you love Habit Rouge EDP?
Do you love rose based fragrances?
Are you a fan of chocolaty / caramelized fragrances?

If you answered by yes for the 3 questions listed above
Then do your self a favor and sniff HR dress code !!

The chocolaty roses gorgeousness in a bottle , which still maintain lots of grandpa traits and features.

This by far the only HR flanker that suites the 21st century.

Bombarding performance in term of longevity and sillage

A recent fave for me.

ptilda
ptilda

I would literally commit crimes to obtain this.

That is all.

perfumesamplesanddecants
perfumesamplesanddecants

a great flanker from Guerlain Habit Rouge...one of our absolute favorite flankers ever.

JEDI 2.0
JEDI 2.0

I received a 30ml decant of this in a lot purchase, quite some time ago.

Right away, I was unimpressed with the opening of it, dismissing it as "dated" and just put it aside. Haven't touched it in months, and only check-sprayed it that one time.

A couple days ago, my wife and I were messing around and we sprayed each other with cologne samples; she hit me with Scent of Peace For Her, and i hit her with this. ...funny thing is, about half an hour later later I was AMAZED by how she smelled. So i wore it myself the next day.

Previous reviewer bigbz is spot-on; wait for the drydown! It's a truly elegant fragrance if you're patient with it. To me, it starts out smelling like a rose scented bodywash or hand soap, but gets sweeter as time goes by and it really works! Classic, not "dated". If you enjoy tipping your brim to the old-school once in a while, this is worth it!

I'll give this 7.5 out of 10, not the type of cologne I would wear very much but i probably dismissed this as a 5 or less initially.

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

Dress Code is a trendy variation of Habit Rouge. Retaining the gentleman in pink qualities of the EdT, capturing the less flirty stoutness of the wooded EdP, and the intense shadows of the Parfum, Dress Code plays on these facets by making the discrete gourmand undertones of marshmallow, lemonade, and vanilla plainly overt – with lashings of chocolate, caramel, and praline that blends well within the original framework. The patchouli is truly in its element with the simple addition of chocolate to recreate the popular accord of natural pairings. There is no hint of citrus or Cologne Imperiale for that matter, but instead a leather of immense tightness without the accentuated counterpoint of acidulous citrus or overly delicate flowers. Instead, jasmine’s etherealness is used as a buffer, and a surprising addition of ginger adds freshness, bite, and is a sturdy compliment to the moreish chocolate notes.

I can’t help but compare the EdT and Dress Code on two separate blotters, and notice how the EdT seems to ring like a well-balanced symphony, and Dress Code being a respectful solo act with its own tricks and charm. It is (and was) only natural to push the gourmand nature of Habit Rouge [eventually], especially adding a venerable note of warm tonka bean and bitter almond – which is indeed popular at the moment. But, I will confess openly that I don’t like the post-modern take on gourmands; Habit Rouge EdT being an example of a classical gourmand.

…And if one hankers for the Parfum, Dress Code is almost as good! 3/5

This is gorgeous. The best sweet-powdery perfume to my nose, although that's an uncommon category for men.

I could have easily given this a rating of "perfect", if it had less Tonka. Yes, it's manly by all means.

I'm interested in comparing this to (Valentino Uomo Intense Valentino for men) which I couldn't smell yet.

Xierandgrea
Xierandgrea

Citric and chemical. Gourmand. Not for me.

bigbz
bigbz

The opening of D.C. was not to my liking at all....old school and dated citrus blast with some soapy rose smell in there too.

BUT....wait for the drydown. Because that's when the magic happens and it's to die for! The most sweet and delicious praline note I've ever smelt. I'm a big time gourmand fan, and this is really lovely and so well done. Good longevity too.

smellavision
smellavision

Opening with the very distintive rather harsh and masculine character of the original Habit Rouge, this scent could confuse most people as being "just another Habit Rouge in a different bottle" - but be warned, it's not.
Pretty soon the sweeter praline and vanilla-like background (which seems to have somehow replaced the leathery agarwood of former versions, incredibly well executed) comes a-sneaking, leaving you with a wonderful gourmand-ish scent that still has the powdery citrus rosy barbershop dryness of the original lingering, but is much more contemporary and generally acceptable in 2016.

Quite frankly - and I could be very far from the truth here - to me this smells like msr. Wasser took some notes from the original, some notes from L'homme Ideal, a hint of LIDGE, shook them up and out came this wonderful creamy sweetish leathery delight.

A word of advice though, not for everyone so try before you buy.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Lots of citrus straight out of the gate with a sweet chocolate praline and vanilla notes. Its a very gourmand take on Habit Rouge with lots of tonka and sweet notes.

Much later on the sweet spicy woodsy notes come to the forefront.

All in all a nice fragrance but just not to my taste.

Kentington
Kentington

I can't add much to Colin Maillard's excellent review below, except to say that Dress Code reminds me of the previous EDT formulation. If you compare a bottle of 80's era Habit Rouge EDT to a current bottle of EDT, one of the things you'll notice immediately is the 80's style musks. They give a dirtier (not sweaty-dirty but actually DUSTY) vibe to the edt, an overall darker feel. Dress Code doesn't duplicate this in any way - the praline notes and the unique leather accord are quite recognizably different - but the overall effect of the fragrance is very similar. Additionally, Dress Code's EDP concentration has similar staying power to the old EDT that the current EDT does not have.

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

I had been wanting to try this new Habit Rouge flanker for a while because I really appreciate the original classic Habit Rouge.. I finally was able to get my hands on a sample of this Habit Rouge flanker.. Dress Code opens up very citrusy and very floral with notes of bergamot, neroli, and rose.. The neroli and the rose are very prominent and give Dress Code a very powdery floral vibe very much like the original Habit Rouge.. Once Dress Code begins to warms up a bit a sweet powdery accord made up of praline, vanilla, and tonka add a very nice delicate sweetness to the fragrance.. Mild touches of spice are also noticeable and add their touch to the fragrance.. As Dress Code begins to dry down a very nice leather note meshes with the praline accord which in turn creates a beautiful sweet leathery drydown.. Habit Rouge Dress Code is basically a modern take on the classic Habit Rouge with a slight gourmand touch.. Elements of the classic Habit Rouge that may feel dated are gone, nevertheless Dress Code is still more of a mature fragrance.. The praline accord is very nice, it is blended perfectly and it never gets to sweet.. Dress Code lasts a while on the skin, projects very well, and leaves a nice trail behind you.. Habit Rouge in all its forms is a very different and unique fragrance.. It is not for everyone, and it may even take some getting use to but one can not deny the quality and beauty of Habit Rouge, and the same is true with Dress Code.. It is a shame that Dress Code is just a limited edition flanker because it is in my opinion the best Habit Rouge flanker out of the lot..

celilove
celilove

Aunque Habit Rouge es un perfume de hombre yo soy fanatica a el, sobre todo al Clasico y tambien me gusta todo lo que venga de Guerlain, veremos que pasa y esto suena como que a algo nuevo, renovador, espero me guste igual para sentirlo en el.

meama
meama

Indeed, a better version (yes, it's) than the original. The same identity but everything seems at a better place, without the discordances we understand better the composition as an all. Almond-rose-leather and an accentuation on the vanilla who give it even more a Guerlain identity. (and a bit more of femininity also, and that's really great)
Very beautiful...even outstanding of mastery.

Tomfinx
Tomfinx

I am disappointed. This perfume smells like a lemon soap cake. It is a very chemical smell, burning in the nose. I recommend you if you can not try it, do not buy it.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

By far the best novelty of 2015 for me, even if the year hasn’t ended yet. I must start by saying that I am not crazy for classic Habit Rouge; I really respect and appreciate it, but I like it really mildly – for no specific reasons, it just never completely “clicked” for me. Dress Code instead, I fell in love with it from the very first sniff, and I wouldn’t know where to start with to motivate why. It smells at once really complex, really quality, completely new for me yet robustly rooted into the classic heritage at the same time (starting from Habit Rouge itself), and just tremendously good. Basically, I think Dress Code may basically and inaccurately be described as a sort of remarkably inspired blend which brilliantly mixes Habit Rouge, the Guerlain Homme line (notably Intense), several classic French masterworks like Mouchoir de Monsieur or Monsieur de Givenchy, an apparently unrelated contemporary designer vein (mostly for a subtle and sharp smoky-woody base layer) and a tiny bit of vintage Hermès Bel Ami too, especially the way leather gets a floral-sweet treatment there. There’s some echoes of Tom Ford Noir too for me, which was however a clear tribute to Guerlain’s classics, so here we are again. There’s a lot going on here, and yet it is all so well blended it’s really hard (and eventually pointless) to “read” it.

Anyway, shortly Dress Code opens with a fresh and soapy bergamot-rose-barbershop accord with some quality vanilla, a sprinkle of mild brownish spices (cloves and nutmeg above all, as a distant whiff of a classic Bay Rum) and a dry, sort of incense-infused leather woody base, all tinged with a really peculiar and quite prominent sort of really sophisticated dusty powdery-gourmand feel of what I think Guerlain calls “praline” here – which is basically a gentle cascade of delightful vanillic powder with a truly clever sort of spicy and “toasted” aftertaste, perfectly keeping the “autumnal” feel of Habit Rouge and balancing the sweetness. I expected something more cloying, while this sweet accord is really subtle and mannered, and yet decidedly there.

At first, Dress Code is quite uplifting, even fresh and well more Oriental than classic Habit Rouge, also pleasantly “barbershop-clean”, showing some slight boozy nuances as well – hence my reference to Guerlain Homme Intense; that same sort of distinguished woody-herbal booziness is partially here too (and actually, with a hint of 2003 Gucci pour Homme’s incense woodiness as well) just evolving then under a completely different light. A darker, more luscious, dirtier and, say, “ambiguously sweeter” light – where the ambiguity lies in the Frenchies’ tradermark fondness for sweetness and dirtiness . The evolution is truly dynamic and shimmering, and is in fact all about a descent into a dandy’s closet; powder, nondescript sweet dust, dead flowers, a whiff of salty antique woods (maybe vetiver), luxury leather (true luxury: tanned, rich, comforting, really smooth but sharp – paired with spices, floral notes and a hint of sweetness, here’s why I mentioned vintage Bel Ami). The freshness goes almost entirely away soon except for a hint of citrus, leather becomes earthier and saltier, a gust of warm wind spreads the dirty, spicy, sweet powder all over. And still, Dress Code remains inexplicably gentle, distinguished and almost weightless. This scent is quite all about that - sweet but dark, innocently powdery and dirty at once, mature and really sophisticated yet sort of light and youthful, comprising a whole timelapse over Guerlain’s history in a whiff. It’s quite hard for me to describe this fragrance and its evolution properly, as lots of nuances and notes smell really new to me (better say, the way they are presented and how they evolve); but well, you can just expect a brilliant, refined, cozy combination of classic and contemporary bearing a lot of echoes of stuff you know (more or less the names I mentioned so far), and yet smelling like nothing else. The evolution is really great, and the performance is really fine – this scent is quite more discreet than it may seem from the composition, but it’s not ephemeral at all.

I think Wasser did a truly remarkable job in bringing Guerlain’s DNA and specifically Habit Rouge autumnal formal and “dirty” elegance under a completely new light – not a “designer” light, not a “niche” light, just really new and out of boundaries and definitions, as if he almost tried to get rid of any formal training and just compose “out of the box” to create something quality and new yet solidly rooted into the past, avoiding any cliché. And he surely succeeded for me. Superb.

the_badger
the_badger

Good job Mr. Wasser, I like this one a lot. It morphs and shapes-shifts and certain notes stand out depending on temperature and skin. Very Guerlain, very French. The only con? Longevity. 2-3 hours with good projection, then it's skin scent, but what a marvelous skin scent! Anyone else getting patchouli?

The opening can be quite strong, gave me an insta headache the first time I wore it. With every wearing, the intensity and duration of the headache seem to decrease, my olfactory system must be adapting to whatever olfacto chemical this thing has, it has happened to me before with other perfumes as well. But the fact that it goes away doesn't mean it's not strong anymore, others around you will still be hit by it. I walked passed my mom this morning and she said the whiff of it gave her nausea! Just a whiff! At about 2 meters distance!

coltranedreams
coltranedreams

at the parfumerie earlier to buy myself specifically dior's parfum for men; then the lady made me try this scent. and told me to just wear it and wait... i changed my mind and bought this instead!

i love habit rouge dress code!

garville
garville

I spent an hour at the big Buy Paris "Duty Free Shop" at CDG airport yesterday and after testing other EDT and EDP for men, I bought this one because I like the smell and I am a fan of Guerlain.

Tassio12
Tassio12

Finished up my sample today... third wearing. This is an absolutely gorgeous scent.

It has an oddly harsh opening (and that is VERY relative term in this instance) before five minutes in when the magic starts revealing itself.

I get the praline, vanilla, and Tonka. This is Guerlain through and through.

One thing I am getting throughout the whole dry down (I'm 5 hours in right now and it is still projecting beautifully at arms length) is rose! yes, this is still Habit Rouge, and the DNA of the original is strong! I think the voting is skewed. The rose is VERY present throughout the drydown, but it NEVER takes center stage.

This is an example of what Guerlain can do outside of their exclusive lines. The quality is on par with LIDG and LIDGE (they are NOT similar... just of similar quality).

9/10 for me, and definitely FB worthy.

Edit 10-16-15: I normally don't react so quickly, but after smelling this on my shirt collar this morning, this has to be a top 5 scent for me. It is just so beautiful.

Edit 2-25-16: Still love this. It is very sweet, probably not an everyday scent. I would not blind buy this, but a huge love for me. I absolutely love the way this smells on my clothes the next day. Utterly amazing.

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

Better than the original. And I didn't think that was possible.

texaspete
texaspete

Anyone know if this will be available in the UK? I've asked at a few Guerlain counters and everyone I spoken to doesn't even have any knowledge of the product.

Hoxx
Hoxx

God, what a wonderful scent this one is. In my book, this is an updated version of the original Habit Rouge, and that in itself says a lot.

The opening has a prominent neroli presence instead of lemon from the original, but is quite ethereal and it steps away quickly, giving way to a wonderful spicy heart mixed with traces of flowers, vanilla, tonka and something gourmandish - praline, I guess. The base is driven by a mild, creamy vanilla(the stage that resembles the original the most) and is well nuanced with a pinch of tonka.

One thing to clarify - this is not nearly a gourmand. It is fabulously mannered, in a typical Guerlain fashion, to take everything nice from all the categories it could've possibly fit into, but not to belong in any particular category.

When it's about secondary characteristics, longevity and projection of HR Dress Code are in an upper echelon of today's designer scents. The warmth and dusty sweetness of this scent fits the upcoming season(s) to a T. For what it's worth, I find this undoubtedly unisex, as the vast majority of Guerlains.

Aside from its price, which is soooo justified but is still too much for my modest budget, I see no weakness in this new Guerlain creation. A wonderful, wonderful fragrance and a worthy successor of a well-renowned name.

9,75/10

adrian.meeks.35
adrian.meeks.35

This is really, really different from the other Habit Rouge. This pushes the Guerlain line of fragrances forward and more into the new age of smell. Its really that good and different. I put this up their with LIDGE Intense as far as the WoW factor! Blind Buy if you must!!!

Fais
Fais

This is a really great fragrance!!!

They have beaten the strong scent that emerges at the top and it is more sweater i would say.

It is really a great perfume!

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

I tried it and had to wash it off immediately, Sweet lollipop cloying disgusting fragrance what a disaster from Guerlain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Excuse my previous harsh review. This time I did a full body spray and in fact it is sensual and comforting. Perfect for cold weather. The rose note is very prominent in the dry down and stays close to the skin. Doesn't smell like Dior Homme but has a similar vibe, warm and sensual.

TootsFrag
TootsFrag

Got my bottle this past Monday from Guerlain Toronto Boutique during their super duper sale over the weekend. They had just gotten in their shipment. Jamie took care of me. Thanks Jamie. I love it. It is still very HR but a bit more spicy, woody and some LIDGE thrown in. I like HR but this is better!

Update after a week: Wow. I am really really digging this scent. This semi gourmandspicywoodsy base note just kicks ass and is a great addition to HR.