Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Samsara Eau de Toilette Guerlain for women

Samsara Eau de Toilette Guerlain for women
dislike

yellow floral

Samsara Eau de Toilette by Guerlain is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women. Samsara Eau de Toilette was launched in 1989. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain. Top notes are green notes, peach, ylang-ylang, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are iris, violet, orris, jasmine, rose and narcissus; base notes are iris, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, musk and vanilla.

Green Notes Peach Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Lemon

Tuscany Per Donna

Samsara Eau de Toilette Fragrance Reviews

Marie69
Marie69

Like the music, the 80´s was a BIG perfume decade and a GREAT perfume decade, perhaps the last one there will be with all the restrictions upon us.

Upon first whiff, I see the Tuscany comparison and there is a sharp feature to the opening. After a couple minutes, the sandalwood comes out, ohh yes and NICE sandalwood it is.

I think this must be what they call a floriental. A very nice hybrid between woody, smoky, spicy and florals. And for an 80´s perfume, this one is soft. Sweet but not too sweet.

Very nice.
Testing a mini vintage EDT, I think...no label.

SniffyLarue
SniffyLarue

This was my signature scent in the 90s when it came out. Loved Loved Loved it! I just recently bought the edt and I definitely noticed they reformuulated it. Now it is still awesome juice, but it's not as deep, intense and lasting as I remembered. I asked Ouch110 on YouTube about this and he suggested I get the Edp as it may be like the edt was back in the day so I'm going to order the Edp next.
With the edt, I'm enjoying having a heavy hand with it and overspraying like some perfume diva. It is a beautiful and sexy scent I will never tire of.

marycelia.vanderbilt
marycelia.vanderbilt

To be honest, I was apprehensive about buying this perfume - it was offered to me as a blind buy and I wasn't sure if I would like it, especially since I had never tried any Guerlain products before.

It turns out I shouldn't have worried.

I got this in the mail today. It honestly is amazing! It's a wonderful, subtle fragrance. It reminds me of something my mother would have worn - she was an immensely classy lady. Weirdly enough, it also reminds me of the perfume our church used to put on images of the dead Christ on Good friday. I love it! It makes me feel confident and happy.

muncierobson

Excellent article on 'raiders of the lost scent' about the history of this!

Vintage EDT performs better than current EDP. Current EDT gone within the hour.

Just ordered a vintage EDP and can't wait...

EDT green and powdery, EDP richer and more wood.

nebbe
nebbe

I mean, what can I say that hasn't been said? Being a big fan of sandalwood, jasmine and ylang ylang, how could I not like this perfume? The good news is that it works on my skin, otherwise I would be a disappointed lady.
It is true that every time I wear Samsara my husband (who is 14 years older than me) will comment that I smell like his favorite Grandma's perfume, and since she was a classy lady I always take it as a compliment.

auroramccandless
auroramccandless

I've worn Samsara Eau de Parfum for years starting in 1990. The Eau de Toilette is a good alternative and you get the same scent but with a softer projection. This is a fine date night fragrance and yes it will make a statement like wearing Dior Poison or Coco Eau de Parfum. Everything one loves about this scent is still here in the insides of the Eau de Toilette. Florals, amber, sandalwood & vanilla. The notes compliment each other and come together beautifully. This is and always will be a fantastic fragrance and a popular and beloved perfume from the house of Guerlain.

It smells of sweet licorice & vanilla.

Yes that's right licorice.

The orris root and iris flower are sharp, and this pairing is what gives Samsara a peppery or licorice type of scent. Doesn't anyone smell licorice? I would even go as far as to call it a gourmand fragrance. The sweet delicious licorice embraces vanilla, a subtle vanilla cream. At the same time this perfume tends to turn into a light powder. I don't detect any musk though there is something slightly musky and balsamic but as far as Oriental fragrances go, Samsara is definitely the most G rated and less intense than other Orientals including from the same house of Guerlain such as Shalimar.

I love the floral scents here. Samsara is redolent with iris, jasmine, rose and a hint of sweet peach. This fragrance is not very complex or multifaceted. On me it's linear and it's not throwing out too many notes like music. Instead it's a discreet fragrance of florals and vanilla. Finally a good amber is also present in the dry down.

Some of us have called it a collective make up scent, like when you put all your lipsticks, eye make up and powder into a handbag and it leaves behind THAT SMELL. It smells like fresh make up rather than dry make up however. Putting my nose to it that's how it comes off and during the first couple of minutes. When it's dry it's slightly musky but mostly sweet vanilla and amber, not to mention a sandalwood of such touching beauty. I was not familiar with sandalwood scents but I've discovered it in many Oriental perfumes. The sandalwood here is rather soft & even innocent. But make no mistake this is a mature grown woman's perfume.

The bottle! I love it! It's my favorite color a bold red color and the shape is rather unusual, artistic. What's it supposed to look like? A bottle of perfume oil from a Persian or Hindi royal household? A Buddhist monk's balsamic oil jar? With a name like Samsara one also braces one's self for a heavy Oriental with incense & a religious air but this is not what I'm getting nor anyone else gets from it. It's sexy, subtle, sweet and elegant. I don't think it's unisex. The powder is way too feminine.

A fragrance that has come a long way and continues to sell and well deserved in it's praises. So if you're wondering which to buy Samsara Parfum or Toilette you can go with both, but I gravitate toward the EDT because it doesn't last as long and is not as heavy as the Parfum. The Parfum has brought me headaches and my husband Scott does not like it and he sneezes around me as a joke to get me to stop wearing it.

But she is my perfume & I wear her for my pleasure.

Love Samsara

kapted
kapted

The last of the mighty Guerlain classics, although Idylle has a a place in my heart. The sandalwood is incredibly strong on opening, but dries down in 30 min to the most sensual vanilla/ylang-ylang/jasmine possible. In the dry down, there is a nod in familial belonging to Shalimar.

There is average sillage and limited longevity. In a way, I prefer that because it is an intensely personal scent and belongs to me. It is not one I wish to share with passers by. It is much too special. It is like sharing a precious, newly baked cinnamon scroll...just isn't supposed to happen!

This is NOT a tropical climate scent. It belongs to cooler climates. The sandlewood is creamy and the jasmine is crisp.

JoRa
JoRa

The most beautiful perfume ever created.

Ya'll Know I Adore Samsara, so here is a review for
Vintage 90s Samsara,
or,
The Smoothest Skin Scent Sandalwood Perfume Ever

Hey, skin scent can be a dirty (compound) word around here at Fragrantica. But 90s Samsara, yeah, in the boring yet eminently identifiable clear glass with red top bottles with tan liquid inside, that Samsara, she is the Queen of skin scents. When I wear 90s Samsara I believe in a signature perfume, because that's how she wears, she is Signature Material. She is like, "I turn your skin from that of a mere mortal into a God/dess, this is what you smell like, cream and wood and flowers and heat."

I think that the 90s EDT is the most demure of all the vintages, and wears closest to the skin. The progression is pretty fast: A bit of musk, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, and amber, that languidly moves into a base of PURE, UNADULTERATED, SANDALWOOD. That is the smooth, sexy, scent of the Gods here. The signature worthy, oh-I-just-smell-like-this-all-the-time base of sandalwood. That's how amazing it is. Not big, or loud, but just perfect. A perfect skin scent, that wears all day long.

I really love Samsara EDP, just as much as the EDT, but unlike the EDP, Samsara in Eau de Toilette is just not as loud, obnoxious, opaque and opulent as her concentrated older sister. She is simpler and better for it. I'm not talking about a difference in sillage or longevity, just personality. This is subtle, confident, mysterious, sexy, my skin is just this awesome kind of perfume. That's why I think Samsara is signature worthy, she never gets boring, or worse, obtrusive, you can just live with her awesomeness all day long.

My father is from India, and when I was young he brought me several sandalwood figurines, mostly of elephants, when he would go home and visit. I will never forget how smooth and substantial they felt, and how wonderful they smelled--getting to smell actual sandalwood I think is the reason that now, as a 40 year old woman, I love this perfume so much. This is the real deal, and either you've smelled it or you haven't. The scent of sandalwood is dynamic, multifaceted, and divine--no wonder it was used in religious ceremonies. In the meantime, I had an apartment fire so my precious sandalwood elephants are gone, and sandalwood is an endangered species (my father brought these presents to me in the 80s, prior to well deserved bans on sandalwood tree harvesting) so I will probably never again hold a piece of sandalwood in my hands, and rightly so, poaching the sandalwood trees in India now would be just as bad as shooting tiger for trophy. But I have several bottles of vintage Samsara EDT in my possession, and while the prices have gone up, they are still easily acquired.

So that's my review of 90s Samsara.

Mwalton
Mwalton

I dont think there is enough space to say how much I love this scent. Its wonderful & unique. Sensual but not so much that you only have to wear it for evenings out. The longevity is good and you will catch whiffs of yourself all day and think how amazing you smell. While the longevity is good the sillage doesn't beat you up either. Its moderate to soft. Enough that people smell you without you being offensively strong. Its creamy, woodsy, oriental & a little floral and just so good.

A La Angel
A La Angel

So beautiful I could cry.

Samsara is a gorgeous, gorgeous fragrance that does one of my favourite things: it manages to be sensual without ever being too risque. The sandalwood is smooth and refined, the amber is deep and warm, and the powderiness is Chanel No. 5 femme.

Typically, my sexy fragrances are super sexy, almost to the point of scandalousness (I'm looking at you, Black Orchid...) and my elegant fragrances are pristine to the point of sterility sometimes. I have my Marilyns and my Jackies. Shalimar is a Marilyn, Apres l'Ondee is a Jackie. Samsara happens to fall in the overlap. She is the mistress AND the wife. I am working my way through a sample and Samsara is already firmly on my to-purchase list.

Such a gorgeous beauty. It feels good to be raving about a fragrance - it's been a while!

muncierobson

EDIT just added a vintage bottle to my growing collecting of all things Samsara
At first dab I thought I'd be duped! The older formulations take much longer to develop.

I love how powdery and cooling the current EDT is but performance SUCKS.

The vintage smells more like current EDP (once it gets to the dry down).

It's gorgeous! Sandlewood, iris, spices, warm, comforting, sensual!

Performance is much better too!

I'm gonna look for vintage EDP in pursuit of the 'perfect' Samsara!

zyby
zyby

Sandalwood is one of my favorites, so it’s not surprising that I’m a big fan of SAMSARA. I have an older bottle of the EDT, manufactured in 2000 (batch code MC0NH). I also have the matching “liquid powder” manufactured in the same year (batch code ME0AJ). I’m not familiar with either earlier or later formulations and can’t compare them.

This is a lovely, fresh sandalwood scent with touches of iris, vanilla and rose. On me, it’s very smooth and a bit powdery. It’s not sweet or heavy. Sillage is moderate. At the moment, it’s been on for some 6 hours and still smells great. I can wear this anytime and for any occasion, but as it’s pricey I tend not to wear it as often as I’d like to.

beautifulchaos
beautifulchaos

As stated by others, the EDT formulation is sweet and spicy. The sandalwood is light in comparison to similar orientals. It also has great sillage and longevity. I didn't have to reapply all day. For me this is a fall or early spring scent. It might even work for winter, since at one point the spices reminded me of the ones used around the holidays. While Samsara has such high ratings, I need more time to form a thorough opinion of it.

The opening is amazing. I think I have a head cold coming on, so I couldn't absorb the full beauty. But it smelled so good. A little powdery (not incense powdery), a little spiciness (not peppery), and a touch of warm vanilla. The problem arises once the notes settle. Samsara seemed to contradict itself depending on where it was applied. On my chest the scent is totally different than the scent emanating from my wrist. The drydown on my wrist turned extremely sweet, much sweeter than I typically like. All I could smell was a piercingly sweet vanilla and tonka bean. However, underneath my shirt smelled lovely, with only a slight sweetness. I will wait a little while and retry this fragrance. My olfactory senses aren't at full capacity right now. I really want to like this...

Update: After another shot with this fragrance, I must mention this is still a very sweet oriental. However, since I can smell a little better today, there are more complex notes shining through. I detect strong iris, vanilla, and powder notes in the opening. A soft spiciness emerges a few minutes later. The sweet notes hold strong throughout. I catch whiffs of another flower, the ylang ylang and possibly jasmine. There is also a soft pungent note that I can't quite place.

Glad I didn't dismiss this EDT because of my first impression. The combination of notes still seem to make it sweeter than I usually like. But I believe it's wearable, especially in fall or winter. The strength of this formulation will definitely pierce the cool seasonal air. I did apply the scent in different locations than last time and it didn't transition to the unbearable sweetness as it did previously. I will probably put this in my rotation but only for occasional use. My collection consists of many other scents that work better with my body chemistry.

muncierobson

Perhaps someone in my past wore her, she is comforting rather than sexy (maybe it was a teacher or a friend's mum?). This is a real perfume! Absolutely gorgeous!

EDT gives soft sillage and gets to the drydown stage fairly quickly. I smell sandalwood, iris, hint of spice. Hard to describe without sounding cliched - warm, rich, opulent. Lasts a LONG time on clothes but a skin scent after only a few hours...

EDT feels fresh/cool initially and more powdery as it dries down in comparison to the warm and woody EDP.

Sandalwood appears in so many 'men's' scents I find it hard to view Samsara as feminine!

I cannot stop smelling myself! Lots of compliments too!

Itchy&Scratchy
Itchy&Scratchy

It was summer and i was a little girl, around 10. My posh aunt passed me a bunch of body lotion testers of this magic potion...really don't know what happened but surely felt in love so much that i've used them all in couple of days time!

Now. Imagine that the parfume might had been just launched or max 2-3 years back. So the sillage might have been quite nauseting for people around me. Or maybe not! Perfumes were so much bigger those days that samsara should ve been just fine.

I have a half bottle from '00 and a full one from even before, don't know the exact batch. I love it so much that i def want to buy an edp bottle just for comparison.

Last thing to add. I wore samsara for my wedding day!

AlexisJane
AlexisJane

I knew very well that this perfume wouldn't really work for me, but I tested it anyway out of curiosity.

Sandalwood is almost always a miss on me. It smells chemically and watery and thin, no matter I do to it. That being said, this one does not smell chemically, more medicinal than anything, oddly, but on my skin, it doesn't have much backbone. It's all the strange sandalwood, with tonka bean.

I'm not a huge fan of it on me, but I can see what there would be to like about the Samsara EDT. It's quite refreshing, the powdery nuances are pleasant, but there's little about it to recommend it to me as anything that really stands out. The sillage is moderate, but the longevity is excellent. There are people that I know that I can absolutely see enjoying this fragrance, but for me, I won't be adding it to my collection, just because I don't think it smells the best on me, with my chemistry.

Missmaassen
Missmaassen

this is one of my top 5 oriential fragrances. i have a love/hate relationship with guerlain but samsara holds a special place in my heart. i completely adore it, especially in the colder months. it just smells so good and captivating to me. i definitely recommend it and dont think people will be dissapointed. it is grown up but very sexy grown up. my boyfriend just loves this one so much and so do a lot of guys. it is very alluring, much doesnt need to be said about this one. just thank you guerlain.! x

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

This is a sweet and very perfumy Oriental fragrance, a tad on the mature side for me but not bad. It doesn't feel as Oriental as some of the other scents I've been exploring because it's too powdery and too floral as far as Orientals go. This starts with a distinct peach scent it's sweet and feminine peach but as if they had made a peach scented talc powder. The flowers in this scent are so pretty: rose, violet, iris, ylang, jasmine. The biggest floral note I could smell was violet/iris pairing. If you like those flowers this is heaven, a paradise of violets and iris flowers. It has rose but it's not as pronounced a rose as say Paris by Yves Saint Laurent or Tresor by Lancôme. This is definitely an iris and violet scent but it's beautifully layered with the other flowers as well. It has a base of vanilla that really stands out and sandalwood. It turns powdery like little clouds of powder that are all over you. It's long lasting and full bodied and feels very grown up. I don't get the connection with Hinduism, Samsara reincarnation or the Buddha nor do I think of it as an Oriental. It's just a beautiful peach powder with violets and irises. It's also got a licorice in it. Does no one smell licorice? It's totally licorice. Good thing I love licorice. This perfume is delicious intoxicating and sweet. I always get compliments on it.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Samsara EDT.

There isn't a note that's jarring to me or unlikable in this. Its comforting. Warm, unique and beautiful. I personally do not think its a big scent. This is not the orig. Edt. The original Samsara had an extremely dry sandalwood dry down that was pretty harsh. This one isn't, which I feel is an improvement.

This is one of the few guerlains I get along with. A must try.

soudenEast
soudenEast

Guerlain No.5
As someone down below has already pointed out Samsara EDT smells somewhat similar to Chanel No.5.

M.Golightly
M.Golightly

Samsara like a few distinct perfumes today is not for the faint hearted lady who prefers the light, sweet, breezy scent. This red bottled gem is meant for someone who is absolutely bold.

I say bold because primarily the fragrance industry today is currently dominated by fresh, sweet and often gourmand scents and the dense sandalwood base wrapped in Ylang- ylang/Jasmine cord of Samsara is not mainstream, which I personally think is very refreshing. Some say it is dated....I say it is a classic. To be honest I did not rush to buy this because I know time is essential when to pick and wear a particular fragrance especially like Samsara. You need to be confident when you want to wear Samsara because this is not a 'tutu' fragrance, this is red bold silk.

Some of the reviews says it is overwhelming. The only time this fragrance becomes overwhelming is when you spray too much. Samsara only needs to used sparingly- a spray on each side of the neck for me. 'She' doesnt need to be loud, her secret is her quiet allure. Hahaha! Here I go again getting carried away.

Lastly this fragrance does remind me of the Asia- where I come from. The sandalwood reminds me very much of incense burning and the floral offerings found everywhere in Bali. A sexy, exotic, bold fragrance best worn during cool days/nights.

mashuda
mashuda

I can't even.... if the edt is THAT strong and stomach churning.... what pray tell is the edp like? Based on the reviews I have given my 30ml bottle another chance, which BTW hasn't even.had a dent made in it because I find it too much... I want to see if I can smell these wonderful stages that everyone else is raving on about....but already I can feel my stomach turning. It really does hit you in the gut as a few ppl have said on here. Maybe my nose is too immature to understand this perfume. Whatever the case maybe, I will be sure to do an edit....

bronstein
bronstein

This one is excellent, perhaps one of the few truly heavy female fragrances left, at least on the mass market. The ultra femineity is overwhelming from first sniff onwards.

It's obvious that this one is an offspring of the 1980s, when heavy scents such as Opium and Obsession ruled. But at least in today's formulations the latter can't compete with this one in terms of sensuousness. This one is made for true women, and I would fall for the one wearing it.

*****

katemax
katemax

I agree with darlingnadine. I was looking forward to trying this but had the same reaction! serious dislike from me.

darlingnadine
darlingnadine

Vintage only:
Got a bottle off ebay and had high hopes for this. Unfortunately, this is not for me. The opening is extremely sharp and unpleasant. There is nothing sweet about this. Tried to let it sit for a while but couldn't take it anymore and tried to wash it off. This stuff is strong and would not come off! The QUALITY of this stuff is excellent. The scent itself, not so much. I don't find anything sexy about it and can't imagine men liking it. This is for someone much older.
Update: Gave my bottle to my mom who is over 60 and it is actually quite pleasant on her albeit extremely strong and overwhelming in small spaces. One spray is enough.

A complex, warm, old-fashioned, yellow floral type of scent.
I like that it's quite mild and light compared to other scents from this category. I can sense sandalwood, ylang-ylang, amber and vanilla the most.
I consider it elegant classic, a product of quality.
I think it's more suitable for winter and autumn. A mature scent, I'm not sure if I could wear it very often, if I had it.
I think sillage and longevity are great, it must have a good projection.

aspirina
aspirina

It is hard to describe such a beauty. It is very easy to understand why the adds of Samsara always have beautiful women wearing red silk. It feels soft and dreamy as silk, it is royal, it is rich. It is the smell of a woman that is exquisite, she knows what she is worth and others can also perceive it. The vintage sample I am wearing allows me to experiment the most amazing and opulent sandalwood, that is the most prominent note and fortunately the most long lasting, the richness of the Ylang Ylang, playing with Tonka and amber creates a cloud of luxury around me. Beautiful, just beautiful.
Thank you my dear Gypsy Parfumista, for the generous decant.

Sazmataz77
Sazmataz77

This is such an understated, sexy perfume. Sometimes, the ylang ylang really lingers on my skin and other times it becomes sandalwood, vanilla and musk. However it develops, I feel all woman. I like that it doesn't contain any spice, even though I am a fan of oriental scents, and lets the mellow sandalwood base do the talking. So creamy and delicious, a nice perfume for day or night.

davide2111
davide2111

Proumo opulento! Molto forte, quasi aggressivo ma per gli amanti del genere è una chicca. SE VI PIACE FAR SENTIRE A TUTTI COSA INDOSSATE SAMSARA FA' AL VOSTRO CASO! Sicuramente una fragranza anni 80-90 che non passa inosservata. Io avverto forte il sandalo, seguito a brevissima distanza dal muschio e dal bouquet di fiori nella quale liris e l'ylang ylang primeggiano infine, l'ambra lascia appiccicata la fragranza per oltre 24 ore!!!
Longevità 10/10
Sillage 9.5/10
Profumo 7/10

Rosymomma
Rosymomma

Vintage only-I wore this scent through most of the 90's. It was the first scent that I purchased for myself after just one whiff. I followed a woman through a dept. store while getting up the nerve to ask what she was wearing and after asking walked immediately to the perfume counter and purchased a small bottle. After about a month I was back at the perfume counter purchasing the set (powder, edt, edp). I did not know at the time that the note that drew me in was the sandalwood. I was a perfume/scent novice. Had to stop wearing it when preggers and nursing two children, so about five years or so. When I came back it smelled wrong, so I stopped wearing it. Then one day while looking at scents on ebay I discovered that there was something called "vintage." Oh my, was that what was wrong with my fav? They had changed it? With trepidation and hope I purchased a bottle of vintage still sealed in box. Hooray, Samsara does not appear to go over bad....it even ages well, if becoming a bit milder, it is still the same sandalwood heaven.

I still only purchase vintage Samsara, from ebay or etsy. I do not like the harshness of the reformulations, plus there is that sandalwood thing.....only the vintage has the creamy, almost vanilla ice cream sandalwood. The narcissus is very present, but not overwhelming. Vintage Sansara is one of the few scents where I can identify the narcissus, and yet, so many scents claim to have it. The melody of the EdP is the sandalwood, with the harmonies carried by the jasmine, narcissus, and powdery iris. If you listen quite closely, you will hear the guerlinade in the background. All this beautiful music will always make it a signature scent for me.

TillyWave

This is an old American literary reference, but has anyone else read Tennessee Williams? (I fell in love with his plays in high school.) Unfortunately I was not in the AP English class, but I read "A Streetcar Named Desire" anyway, and among many quotes are this one, by Stella, after she is asked by her sister Blanche, what is your husband like?

"Oh, you can't describe someone you're in love with!" she says, and leaves it at that.

Well I have been in love with Samsara for years, and while I've been steadily writing reviews for other perfumes, I don't think I've been able to review Samsara as of yet. It's because I love her. I mean, you can love a perfume, but I have serious love for this perfume. Among my 100+ bottles of perfumes I have 3 favorites (Aromatics Elixir, Prada Infusion d'Iris, and Samsara, if you want a reference) but Samsara is the one I'd take with me to a desert island, the moon, I would bring her along with me during the Zombie apocalypse, or rescue her among my cat, car keys, and pictures in the event of a house fire. If I had to have a signature perfume it would be Samsara.

The review part, what does she smell like? She smells opulent and dense. She smells a bit sweet, bittersweet. She is woody and floral. Samsara is saturated jasmine flowers. She smells red and warm, like opaque wine. Samsara is liquid smooth, except for the iris, which always adds a powdery texture. On the edges she smells like peach liquor, or a tang of bright ylang ylang on the top. And then there is the sandalwood. The vintage sandalwood is swoon worthy, the modern is the best Indian Sandalwood Facsimile that I've ever smelled (but that's because I cut my teeth on the modern Samsara, not the vintage.)

Samsara just smells like Samsara, and if there's a perfume that smells similar, it's because the perfumer is trying to imitate Jean Paul Guerlain's Samsara.

The notes? Really I don't know. I just know that Samsara works for me. I've never gotten tired of her, she is my woody floral/sandalwood jasmine gold standard, and if she were not in existence, my experience with perfume may be a lot different.

Just as aside, I love both the modern and vintage EDT, and one day if I can pick the notes apart, I will review them separately. If you're really going for sandalwood I recommend you get the vintage EDT over the EDP, as the EDT is all gorgeous sandalwood drydown. The EDP is even more loud and opulent than the EDT.

PPS--My mother in law also loves Samsara. Once when I was visiting her, I brought along Samsara to wear. After I left, and she was cleaning the guest room, she said she could smell beautiful perfume on the sheets. I guess when I was spraying it on some landed on the linens. Anyway I sent her a decant, which she promptly drained, and last time I saw her I saw she had gotten a 100 ml bottle of Samsara that was already half gone. When I am in their house now I can smell Samsara and it makes me so happy, and calm (the scent once it dries down is calming to me for some reason.) Anyway my MIL is 62, and her favorite perfumes used to be Obsession and Opium, both of which were horribly reformulated, and she stopped wearing perfume. But she loves Samsara in EDP, and I am happy that I got her into wearing perfume again, and my desert island perfume, at that.

If you've read this far, thank you. I will try to write a few more Samsara reviews in the future, as I have every possible vintage and concentration on my shelf anyway.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

SWEET SAMSARA

REVIEW OF THE EAU DE TOILETTE

The Eau De Parfum is full bodied and complex. In my review of the Parfum, I compared it to medicinal licorice root used in Ayurveda ancient Hindu medicine and to something spiritual like being in a Buddhist sangha of monks in the Himalayas, and to the ancient story of prince of India Siddhartha Gautama who became the Buddha. I'm not getting any of that from the eau de toilette I'm currently wearing. For an EDT it is very strong and you get the same strength as an EDP. With the Toilette I get more of the gourmand notes of tonka bean and vanilla. It's deliciously sweet. This comes at the end toward the drydown. In the Parfum the drydown was mostly sandalwood and amber, which make for a very good combination. The sandalwood especially set my imagination on fire because I love sandalwood as it's a classic ingredient in perfume. This one is just a lighter and sweeter version of the original Samsara. It opens up with a peach and the heart has a few flowers that stand out: rose, iris, violet. The jasmine is pretty tame and just seems to be harmonizing with the vanilla. This is a huge rose perfume to me. The rose is the strongest accord. The iris is equally as strong. The violet acts like yet another sweet character that blends perfectly with the vanilla. I would have to say that this is a floral-amber with a lot of vanilla. It's a nice perfume and there seems to be something more to it, something which really makes the rose, iris, violet and even the vanilla project, and at one point I could almost detect something fiery and smoky like incense. I know what incense in perfume is like so I know it wasnt that. It must have been musk. There is noticeable musk in both the toilette and parfum. I feel that musk is a big player here. It's not a leathery or dark musk. It might even be a white musk. It's like powder. This is a lovely perfume. I recently got my sister to wear it. We swapped and exchanged fragrances. I let her have Samsara Eau de Toilette and she's crazy about the vanilla. She let me have Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely which I haven't worn since it first came out. I'll be reviewing that soon. I have the Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely Liquid Satin which I really love more than the SJP parfum. Samsara is a real winner and it can be worn in the daytime, in the evening, anywhere, anytime, any season. It's a fragrance that should be in every woman's home. The toilette or parfum, either, are fantastic fragrances. This was probably the last really well-made fragrance by Guerlain. I'm afraid the newer stuff has become cheapened with too much gourmand garbage: tonka bean, cinnamon, vanilla. How much more vanilla do I need to have? And cinnamon? As in Toast Crunch? What am I supposed to do eat it? LOL

itstakenalready
itstakenalready

About ten years ago, I was shopping at the London duty free at Guerlain. I did not want to test too many fearing I might confuse my nose. I ended up choosing Mitsouko for myself, I loved it and never thought it smelled too strong or old, but it certainly was not something not many would choose in their teen years. I blindly bought Shalimar for my mother convinced after several reviews that she would love it, unfortunately she did not and neither did I. For some reason I did not even look at the red bottle of Samsara there which I regret. After several years now off late I wanted to get something by Guerlain again after getting fed up with all the generic vanilla and so called clean and young perfumes out there in the market. I came across Samsara and I had to get the largest bottle available, It smells like home away from home, it is soothing, relaxing and smells so familiar. I absolutely understand what a lot of reviewers are talking about here. I have not been able to wear perfume for several months now because of my pregnancy which makes everything smell wrong and sharp. Now, I am so glad my nose is getting back to normal and I can enjoy Wearing Samsara, it's so unique, it's an experience every woman should try.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

First of all I would like to thank Rouu (who is a top reviewer here and contributor as well ) and above all a wonderful friend of mine for her amazing gift of perfumes which I will review one by one .

My review is for a 2000 vintage one . This is a great warm brew for anyone who likes to try something oriental which is neither cloying nor agressive , but still has that unmistakingly oriental charm to it ..The openning is strong and has that old vibe thing , but then it settles to the most comforting creamy sandawood & floral I have ever come across , it wraps you with a warm , soft blanket , like a doting hug but still maintaining its elegance and sophistication , never giving up to being just "cozy" if you know what I mean .
Great and unique creation for sure and this comes from a person who isn't that devoted to Oriental taste, though is a Middle Eastern ..It's certainly an oriental scent but will appeal to lots of non-oriental persons .

Rose Arella Back
Rose Arella Back

Winter warmth in a bottle. Less is more even with the EDT. Very nice, done with a light hand.

snow_white
snow_white

Samsara has been quite the find for me. I usually go for more modern white florals, but have been searching for a warmer fall/winter perfume. I can't say that I enjoy the opening as much, but the drydown makes it worth the first few minutes or so. To me, the opening is strong and very classic, reminiscent of what I get from almost all chanels. It's a certain accord I can't quite describe, but it smells dated and slightly off-putting. But once this hits skin, some magic happens and the jasmine/sandalwood/vanilla really work together to make something that is mature but not aged, sophisticated but not painfully formal. I would not wear this every day, and it's not something I would spritz on while I'm lounging around in sweatpants at home. This perfume has an effect aside from just smelling nice, and it makes me feel more composed and ready. Back straight, head held higher and ready to brave the world. As some others have said, this one demands respect, and to me, manages to be sultry and comforting at the same time. If you are like me, and don't like the initial opening, at least give the drydown a try. And make sure to test on skin, I can't imagine paper doing this justice.

Edit: Just wanted to add that this scent and it's presentation remind me a bit of a Disney villain :3 In the best way possible!

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

A surge of indole and ylang, then jasmine, which I love, followed by creamy sandalwood. Then the delicious custardy Guerlain vanilla, which stays on & on, incredibly persistent. It is a beautiful scent, & gets a good reaction from people I meet; this is the one of the last Guerlains to try, and I've been missing out all this time! The sandalwood is very good, for synthetic (I've only smelled the real stuff in Bois des Iles) and the vanilla is reliably wonderful. Also a touch of banana, a touch of coconut, really an excellent warm-weather, even holiday, scent. The persistence of this scent - into the next day - makes it good value, as well as being one of the most calming and pleasing scents on the market. Definitely adding this to the rotation :)

loonad
loonad

winter is finally upon us here in Mauritius and i took this gem out for use to work today. needless to say that i had a great day at work and after work i even went to the beauty parlor for a much needed waxing session.even through all that hair pulling i was calm and serene because samsara was right by my side.
this perfume has amazing longevity even if the sillage is not enormous.i used 6 sprays in all in the morning at 7 am and now as i sit to write this review it is 7pm and i can still smell samsara on me.this is an elegant yet zen scent and i will keep purchasing this scent over and over again.i also own the edp and do not notice much of a difference between the two.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I think Samsara is a classic in all its forms - whatever folks may say about this earlier change in style from Guerlain!

Worn on a warm day, the Eau de Parfum might feel almost over-ripe it's true, its very sultry, but I think the EDT is ideal for those who prefer the woodier, soapier aspects, especially, I find, if worn just on the arms and neck.

The opening is always slightly weird (in fact for some reason it reminds me of floor polish) but give it half an hour and you have the creamy floral sandalwood with the tiniest hint of something that smells to me a bit like banana milkshake!

I think Samsara edt has one the loveliest dry-downs in perfumery; there's a tantalising soapy sweet smoothness of ylang that underlies the powdery sandalwood.

Sillage in edt is quite moderate if just sprayed lightly on arms, longevity very long - especially lingers on clothes

silsilg2
silsilg2

I use it since 1992. I love it . Both the edt as the edp . It is a unique , addictive , original perfume. It is sensual for a special night but can also become cheerful for an outing with friends . Always be one of my favorite perfumes, there is none like it . It has a large stele and a long life.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is the kind of scent that if I were to smell it on a woman, I would find her captivating, romantic, confident and sophisticated... Even if her hair were rain-mussed, she wore an oversized jacket and beaten Docs. It lends a certain charm and aura and I have long fancied it. It has the ability to make a girl a woman, and for that woman to become a panther.. Sleek, in control, and wildly gorgeous.

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

Knowing I was going to have a hellish day, I reached for this beauty out of my perfume wardrobe...........

Excellent choice, kept me calm, safe and in control whilst smelling exquisite.

Forget the anxiolytics, perfume is so much better not only for you but for others around you too!!!!!

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Where is the sandalwood? All I can smell are indolic ylang-ylang and jasmine on steroids! Flowers on the verge of putrefaction.

I smelled Samsara a long time ago, but it now has become extinct from the display of most guerlain beauty counters that carry countless flankers of la petite robe noire, insolence, idylle and Shalimar, but precious else. So I blind bought it, and because I remembered it as being a serious projection and sillage powerhouse, I opted for the edt. Wrong choice? Maybe the edp has more sandalwood that can counterbalance this indole orgy. I would love to compare, but certainly not through another blind buy.

I can appreciate that there is a certain beauty to it, but I mostly experience an involuntary nausea and gag reflex. This certainly seals the conclusion that ylang-ylang and I are not meant to be friends or even cross paths.

Smellyspice
Smellyspice

This perfume gives me the shivers, I find it so beautiful. Some people say that the sandalwood notes are synthetic and perhaps they are but in this case, ignorance is bliss because my untrained nose does not know the difference. Some people also say that it is loud, and possibly it is, but that also has to do with how much you spray on - even the loudest fragrances can be soft if you spritz just a little on. I just know that I find it exotic, alluring and timeless. There are so many fragrances out there that smell good to me, but the ones I ultimately love are ones like this that feel like they can elevate my daily experience from ordinary to extraordinary.

mogulka
mogulka

Another raving review:

this scent can stop wars, change mood, a real aphrodisiac, when I wear it it feels I am in bubble of bliss, and it radiates.
Yes, depends on skin/personality, I don't try to confess anyone who gets headaches from this or thinks it is an old fashioned potpourri - for me, anytime I open my enchanting bottle, it is a homecoming. <3

Nil3
Nil3

This is my second review. Even though my first one hit all the 'balloons policy' I feel like it needs one more message to be sent to the world of fragranticians .

Each perfume as you know gets an adjective or any definition for that matter. Whether it's simply sweet, toxic, lethal, naughty ,etc....

Samsara is Respect.

A perfume you can only bow to. With your head bent slightly down and your eyes closed, you ought to bow to this Masterpiece.

Men should raise their hats.

becuille
becuille

Samsara EDT was my first "grown up" fragrance. I was 16 and my boyfriend at the time went on holiday with his parents and brought me back a bottle of Samsara from the Duty Free shop at the airport. Up until then, I'd been wearing Charlie, Exclamation (remember that?) and whatever body spray my mum had bought for me that month. He handed me this and said "I hope you don't mind me picking for you, but it just smelled so nice".

I have no idea what happened to him, but my love for Samsara is still true.

I still love the EDT best as I find the EDP can be a little much for me. I'll need to hunt down a vintage bottle though because this has been reformulated and something has been lost. I don't know what it is, but there's an oomph to this that used to be present but isn't any more.

One of my favourite things about this is the peach. Peach is a lovely scent, but in perfumes, I find about 90% of the time, it ends up smelling cheap and sickly. Not so here. This peach is ripe, lush and rich.

The florals are beautifully blended and powdery throughout. The dry down is classic Guerlain, recognisable in an instant.

This has become dated for some and I can understand that. I used to proudly wear this during the day, whereas now I'd say it's much more suited to being a nighttime scent.

This is sort of oriental, but not spicy at all. However, if you're in a spicy perfume mood, this one still works. It's warm, sensual, bold and comforting all at once.

I just wish they hadn't reformulated!

Classic for a reason.

Samsara is one of my alltime favourites perfumes and it will probably be so forever. I generally go for EdP, but I owned all versions and the vintage ones are the best.
Samsara EdT in current formulation is still a little jewel, especially as you compare to many others, but it's not what it used to be at all.
It opens with a harsh off-putting greenish smell, similar to something rotten or gone bad. It must be the sandalwood replacer?
It stays so for 10 minutes and honestly I would have trashed it at this stage, but I waited... I know my Samsara.
Little by little, the blend recoils and starts re-shaping an original scent of Samsara, but lacking something that was there before.
In 20 minutes it becomes a beautiful perfume with an oriental aura but not spicy. It still has a deep floral heart full of ylang-ylang and the typical Baby Shampoo Johnson edge, then fades to a decently radiant sandalwood-vanilla drydown.
What strikes me about current EdT and also EdP is that no bottle smells like another. Sometimes it is a foul white-muske-y note, sometimes it is a fake peach...
It's still a good one, but what was vintage EdT?

I own a vintage bottle of EdT in clear glass... take all above and magnify all stages.
The initial offputting opening smells more like green leaves, ylang-ylang is not alone because there are luscious warm jasmine and a hint of rose plus iris powder and the sandalwood gave real radiance to the whole scent taking into a different level and into an almost maternal creaminess. Vanilla was not candle-like and heliotrope was romantic.

Now the current version(s) of EdT falls flat compared to the monster of radiance and creaminess.

614kristaaa
614kristaaa

I read and re-read about Samsara before deciding to buy a vintage EDT from the early 90's. I had recently had many unsuccessful blind buys, and I was crossing my fingers in anticipation of its arrival in the mail. When it arrived, I ripped into it, pulled off the cap, and practically inhaled the nozzle into my nostrils. In a state of euphoria, I said out loud, "Are you kidding me?" I was smitten. It's a true beauty. A lovely, beautiful, timeless creation. I haven't smelled any other version of Samsara, and I don't feel the longing to do so. It is definitely aldehyde-y, but it has the smoothest, creamiest scent. I can't pick out specific notes in this, because it blends together so seamlessly to create something wonderful.

grayspoole
grayspoole

Buying Samsara required a big leap of faith for me. After exploring many of the classic vintage chypres and green scents, I thought I should learn about the great oriental perfumes. But oriental = vanilla, and that note is usually a deal breaker for me. (Vintage Habanita EDT, I'm looking at you). But I am thoroughly enjoying my vintage Samsara EDT (clear bottle, red top, 1996 batch code). As other reviewers have noted, it is a warm, spicy comforting scent, but it is not at all cloying. There is a very brief aldehydic sharpness to the opening, but then the jasmine, iris, and other flowers begin to unfurl their petals. Soon, you get the endless rich sandalwood basenote, with tonka and just a tiny bit of vanilla. Some say there is real Mysore sandalwood in vintage Samsara, others say it was always synthetic. I'm not able to tell, and I don't really care. Whatever it is made of, the sandalwood note in this scent is beautiful, and I can understand why so many people love it.

Vicarious Reality
Vicarious Reality

Spicy, the main flavors are vanilla and cinnamon, a bit of balsam and maybe some woody wood
It is a tad simple and weak it seems, not too impressive, maybe i will get a EDP bottle to see clearer

scented2014
scented2014

Samsara is a very cosy perfume. long-lasting, noticable, with tons of powder featured with sandalwood.it doesn't smell oriental in it's common way because it doesn't have this spicy note that most orientals have. if you're into powdery fragrances, most probably it wll become a love.

cecfor
cecfor

edT manufactured 2011.
I got it rather cheap from an internetsite. Definately worth the money. I never smelled the original. This one starts off with a thankfully short lived dusty nose-irritating smell (I would say iris/orris root but they are not in the topnotes, so I don't know if I am right) and then goes in to a creamy woodiness. Pleasant to wear. Rather light. I guess the original was much deeper and better smelling as almost always, but this is a reformulation that at least has no bad smelling components to my nose and nothong harsh or bo-like. The longevity is good, about 6 hours but not much sillage. I am okay with that as long as nothng smells bad.

rossiniopera
rossiniopera

When I was a child, my mom went through all the big scents of the 80s and early 90s, one by one. Apparently she disliked most of them, or got tired of them while the bottle was still half full. Then she would give it to me and continue looking for something else. Needless to say, I had quite an impressive perfume collection by the time I reached high school!
However she must have liked Samsara, because I never got that one. I remember the deep red colour of the bottle on the bathroom shelf, and the mysterious, exotic name. I didn't remember the scent itself, but I bought it when I came across it last year (current edp). Gosh, this is good. Sandalwood and not-too-sweet vanilla, and a gorgeous combination of jasmine and narcissus (my favourite floral combination). Classy, feminine and timeless – not a typical 80s scent, really – but then again it's Guerlain, and their classic scents aren't really typical of anything but themselves...
I have since also bought a vintage edt (clear bottle), and that's the one I've been using, so I don't really remember how the current edp compares. I shall dig it out soon and find out. Vintage, however, is nothing but GORGEOUS.

Shivana
Shivana

Samara.... The whole reason I fell in love with perfume all those years ago. I was 18 years of age. My mother said that Samara was *too old* for me..

This is divinity in a bottle.

Warm, comforting, exotic, embracing, sexy, sensual, transporting...

The reformulations are similiar to the original, and still very beautiful. However, I can't help feel something is missing. Unfortunately, I no longer have any original to compare with.

To me, Samara is the definition of "perfume".

LetThereBeMe
LetThereBeMe

There's a bitter, woodiness in the opening that is almost off-putting. It might be the orris note my nose picks up on. But that stage passes quickly and what follows is an intoxicating, powdery, creaminess that has my nose glued to my wrist.

The sillage is not huge, on me, but the scent wraps itself around me in a comforting bubble. Divine!

There's something about this that reminds me of Chanel no. 5

Ditta70
Ditta70

This is a review of the old, '90s formula of the EDT.

Samsara is therapy in a bottle. It should be prescribed by doctors to patients with mild anxiety, panic disorders, depression, melancholia. To begin with, its beauty is breathtaking. Every time I spray it, it surprises me just HOW beautiful it is...the top notes are an enthusiastic embrace by a dear friend long not seen, exuberant, joyous, sprakling with citrussy loveliness. Soon the unique duo of sandalwood and jasmine unforlds and envelops the wearer into a most comforting, reassuring cloud of a fragrance. Wearing Samsara I feel that the world around me is round and smooth, it makes me warm hearted, kind, caring and all mellow inside. Samsara is a very elegant fragrance but without being haughty or difficult to approach. It embraces everyone and everything around it.

Sillage and longevity are amazing: one spray lasts all day, into the night and into next morning again. One spray on a cottonwool pad will fragrance a whole room easily!

Unfortunately the more recent formulations miss the original Mysore sandalwood oil, the ingredient responsible for the wonderful creaminess that made Samsara what it was. It is still a rather nice perfume, but boy, nothing compares to the old stuff! A thing of great beauty. Get it if you can!

possession83
possession83

Samsara changed my whole perception of scents. My first bottle I got as a gift in my early 20's and I instantly fell in love with this creamy, rich, elegant perfume. It's so potent and at the same time so soft. I love that loud opening with burst of bergamot, peach and ylang-ylang, and then beautiful jasmine. Base notes last forever, I can smell them in my hair even the next morning. This is not an everyday scent for me, I only wear it for special occasions and associate it with all the important and beautiful moments in my life.

Shwets

I have/had most versions of Samsara:

Edp (current red bottle/vintage clear glass gold top).

Edt (current red, pre-reformulated red bottle and clear bottle red top).

Parfum (new version).

The vintage clear bottle red top has the most amzing rich Mysore sandalwood scent ever which is so deep and intoxicating - not for the faint at heart! I have a few drops left and somehow still dont feel mature enough to wear it as it reminds me of an older lady fragrance. Neverthless i have reached to the end of the bottle as it is gorgeous, spiritual and temple like.

The current edt on the otherhand is also lovely but not the same. Its like comparing Marilyn Monroe with a present day modern actress.
This version also lasts long with the sandalwood not as deep but i find this wearable for me.

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

I had original Samsara years ago. The richest, most wonderful perfume in the world to me. All that Mysore Sandalwood. My but it was strong! Most people loved it but it was a bit antisocial for anyone that did not like it so I did not replace it several years ago when my last bottle ran out.
My first reaction on spraying EDT today in House of Fraser today was of disappointment and loss. Like seeing someone you thought was an old friend and then it turns out she is someone else, it was just her hair or her walk that was similar.
But as I sadly walked around the store I realised that here is a new friend! Yes she does have lovely hair and a sexy walk and also she is rather more adaptable and less of a show off than the old friend.
The sandalwood still dominates but much more lightly. Longevity is good. I kept thinking it was gone but it was just changing a little. It still is quite sexy and also somehow comforting. Just a perfect roundedness to the composition. It is warm, sweet and very natural smelling. So a credit to the expertise of Guerlain to have reformulated this jewel to be so nearly as good as the original even though it is a bit different.
I think it is safe to say that if you liked the original Samsara you will like the latest one. If you give her time and don't demand she be just as she was 20 years ago. Which of us is?

Chiaki8
Chiaki8

I have gone a little crazy these days, making numerous fragrance purchases and finding myself falling for fragrances from the Houses of Guerlain and Chanel. After reading all the rave reviews on Fragrantica and numerous fragrance blogs, I blind bought a bottle of Samsara EDT this morning. I didn't test it out until about half an hour ago. I wouldn't say I love it at first smell but I like it. It smells warm and beautiful, and it's definitely a scent made for colder days. Given that winter is fast approaching here in the South, I can foresee myself putting this perfume into pretty good use this wintery season. There's one thing I can say about this fragrance, it's definitely NOT an "old lady" scent (if there's any). I'm in my late twenties and I like it. It's classy.

Oops, I've posted this review twice (here and on Samsara EDP page) as I just realised that they've a page set up specifically for Samsara EDT. My bad.

beauty_girl
beauty_girl

Shwets: The reason there isnt any rewiews for this until now is because the edt version was not listed until now.

Shwets

Creamy smooth sandal and jasmine combo - nothing else is like it! Cannot believe there are hardly any reviews for the edt until thois month!

On me both the edt and edp last long with great sillage. I like them both and have always been complimented on Samsara. The edt appears to be powdery on me. With the edp the powder is less with more of the tonka appearing on my skin. Even if you spray both in a room - Samsara lingers like crazy for hours!

The body lotion is also very long lasting but strong so apply in small areas. I normally would wear lotion or perfume separately.

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I think this is one of the very few Guerlains that I struggle to love. I tried the EDT and found that it had very limited longevity (2 hours, tops), and minimal sillage. Maybe the EDP is different, but I found this quite a 'muddy' fragrance. Its very smooth, which I like-no harsh notes, no bitterness, no chemical or alcohol notes, but I found that the sandalwood was overpowering anything else. It suppresses all the other notes and only allows them through in very tantalising wisps. There is an exotic fruit note-not sweet at all, but rich and creamy, and then the jasmine, but on me this is tentative and understated, almost disappearing into the background, which isn't usual for jasmine on me. The dry down is flat and essentially one dimensional without the peppery warmth or rose I was hoping for. The vanilla is also very quiet (which I like, I personally find vanilla to be an overbearing big bear of a note). All in all, Samsara is exotic sandalwood, pleasant, but without the sense of exotic wonders and richness I was expecting. I'm going back to my beloved L'Heure Bleue.

nero77
nero77

Wow... definitely quite something to behold!

Probably one of the most sensual fragrances I have ever come across. It's almost as if every single sensual and tropical aroma was combined together in a single bottle!

This one is almost intoxicating from the start. For me, it's kind of a very grown-up mixture of rich, creamy white floral and dry, sheer-like Sandalwood, the overall result striking me as unmistakably feminine. Guerlain's perfumes are not always easy ones to like upon initial spray, you really need to give them time to fully appreciate their significance, and for me Samsara was no exception. The story goes that Jean-Paul Guerlain came up with this inspiration partly due to a woman he admired who only liked the notes of Rose, Jasmine and Sandalwood, and he decided to create a fragrance around these three very sensual notes. The result is incredible...

What I get upon initial spray is a very tropical-like, almost overripe fruit smell with a heavy dose of Ylang-Ylang which very much reminds me of banana. This is coupled with heady, indolic, almost fecal-like opulent Jasmine (one of my favourite notes in perfume), joined by a very fresh rose note, and all resting on a huge base of sheer, silky, creamy Sandalwood. This isn't a dry Sandalwood, like Tam Dao by Diptyque. This is a very creamy Sandalwood supported by the heavy white floral Jasmine and the creamy, banana-like Ylang-Ylang, giving a hint of an almost coconut-like vibe. The overall impression could also be a little soapy at immediate impression, but once you spend time with it you really get the full experience of a rich, tropical garden in bloom.

Because of the Jasmine/Ylang-Ylang combination, Samsara really gives me the impression of being almost in a tropical forest on a hot night, with the warm, heady aroma of sweet creamy coconut, green banana, Rose, and dry Sandalwood incense burning at a nearby Buddhist shrine. It really gives me one of the most exotic impressions I've ever smelt coming out of a bottle.

Speaking of the bottle, the Chinese-style red & gold finish really give it the impression of a precious urn filled with something valuable, or maybe even spiritual. It really highlights Guerlain's obsession with Asia (similar to the way the Shalimar bottle represented a clear fountain of water in the gardens of an Indian Palace), this one looks like it came out of a Buddhist Temple. I find that the bottle certainly fits the marketing really well...

I would say that this is very grown up, but not so strong or overpowering a scent, just very evocative and incredibly sensual. Wear it when you want to smell unlike anything else, just very feminine, sensual and exotic. Close your eyes and you just may find it transporting you to a faraway place, and a whole different experience. Personally I would find this incredibly sensual on a woman (as long as applied lightly as it can be strong in the opening).

A recommended must try... A special, exotic one from Guerlain.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Samsara Eau de Toilette fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Guerlain Samsara Eau de Toilette, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Samsara Eau de Toilette by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Samsara Eau de Toilette by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.