Designers » F-H » Aromatic Green « Groups

Halston 1-12 Halston for men

Halston 1-12 Halston for men
dislike

Halston 1-12 Halston for men Pictures

Halston 1-12 by Halston is a Aromatic Green fragrance for men. Halston 1-12 was launched in 1976. Top notes are green notes, mandarin orange, galbanum, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, juniper berries, lavender, jasmine and pine tree needles; base notes are labdanum, tonka bean, amber, musk, oakmoss, vanilla and cedar.

Green Notes Mandarin Orange Galbanum Basil Bergamot Lemon

Halston 1-12 Fragrance Reviews

jpgaud61
jpgaud61

Ahhh, Halston's 1-12.
1-12 & Z-14 have been major players in my scent collection since 1977. 1-12 wears on me very well; like a worn-in pair of Levis and Sperry leather topsiders. I find 1-12, like Yatagan & Eau Sauvage, to be some of my all-time favorite casual fragrances for daily wear. I've never been much of a Polo/Nautica man; and in today's unisex, scent-du-jour, designer/niche environment, Halston's 1-12 & Z-14 have always resonated with my olfactory sensibilities & tastes.

For an economical fragrance, 1-12 delivers a very good return in terms of its pleasant, masculine scent, projection, and longevity. 1-12's application yields that comfortably familiar burst of clean, green freshness right out of the bottle with Oakmoss, Juniper, and Basil, accompanied with citrusy, Lemon/Orange freshness.

The flowery notes of Lavender & Jasmine debut in about 10 minutes. After about 30 minutes, the Cedar & Tonka begin emerging and homogenizing with the rest of the notes for that great masculine essence that stays through 1-12's lightly sexy dry down. 1-12 is a distinctively 70's scent that's inviting, comfortable, pleasant, and still relevant today; in my opinion.

My favorite part of 1-12 is the finish with Amber, wood notes,Tonka, and Musk. Not many men wear 1-12 & Z-14 today, which is just fine with me; all the more for me to wear. Longevity is very good at 6 hours with projection for a solid 3 hours before settling to a skin scent.

Sillage is quite good; the scent trail is subtle, soft, and very pleasant; the way a good male fragrance should be. 1-12 is an excellent, versatile, green-woody chypre that bridges casual to dressy. 1-12 can be worn day or night, and in any season.

It's reassuring to know that many of these scents from decades ago are still in production today. I still reach for Z-14 & 1-12's iconic pinch bottles a few times a month.

guyakaguy
guyakaguy

This is a fragrance I've had for about 5 years and I originally purchased due to the notes being extremely intriguing and the plethora of glowing reviews.

That being said, this fragrance, in my opinion, is a bipolar cross-dressing mess. It has some EXCELLENT masculine qualities, the kind of stuff that makes epic classic über-macho fragrances, which reach an almost Irish Spring soap-like quality. However, just as you reach the peak of enjoyment, 1-12 slips on its Velcro shoes, thigh-high stockings, an ankle-length skirt, and a battered men's cardigan and flaunts its dated feminine qualities.

The notes (according to me):
On initial application it smells a lot like Aqua Velva; it has a citrusy/lavender soapy freshness that has a pronounced woody and mossy sub-base with a hint of classic manly floral that carries you through the first two to three hours, culminating at its take on the epitome of classic woody soapy manliness at about the two hour mark. Nothing green about it in the least. Over those first few hours it maintains an almost "classic aftershave" scent-strength that is as inoffensive as most classic drugstore aftershaves. At about the three hour mark it begins to morph into what I'd describe as its schizo split and develops a sweet vanillic/amber with feminine floral musky-ness, that loses almost all semblance of having been a men's fragrance when applied, dropping it's fresh woody soapy manliness and radiating its noxious old-time floral/moss/sweet musk feminine rebirth over the next 4-6 hours, initially increasing in strength before it dies down.

This one is tricky because I do enjoy the first 2-3 hours of it, but my chemistry and nose (and the noses of others) can't abide the femininity of its ultimate dry-down. It does last 6-10+ hours so it gets high marks in longevity, and it does project decently (eventually), but the ingredients don't work well with my body. I perceive it as more of an androgynous scent leaning more toward the feminine side, but it may be different for you. I've also heard that it was discontinued years ago, but the quantity on hand and price at online retailers, as well as B&Ms, would suggest otherwise.

It's worth a try and for the price it's hard to go wrong, but there are so many others in the price-range, and many others even less expensive, that exponentially exceed 1-12's quality and value.

sir reeksalot
sir reeksalot

i like it.it is soapy but starts off with citrus.opens almost like gray flannel and starts to dry down similar to jaguar for men.very nice.

richmilton
richmilton

My wife loves this but I don't. She don't wear men's fragrances, she prefers more feminine notes, and I agree more lady like scents works best with her classy and feminine nature. I'll wear 1-12 for my wife, she enjoys it that much.

newxr
newxr

This may sound odd but the opening reminds me of an Avon perfume my mother used - Topaze.

It starts soft but the dry down is denser and more masculine. I think this is one of the best multi-purpose day/night frags

CodyJr
CodyJr

It grew on me. I hated the opening but the dry is worth the wait.
Definately Unisex but on the masculine side

WildDove
WildDove

Z-14 Lite. Another classic green chypre in the 1970s style. If you like green, herbaceous, oakmossy, leathery chypres, this is a must-try and a great buy today.

beauty_girl
beauty_girl

Smells exactly like Bandit, i like!

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

I love this wonderfull soapy, smooth floral fragrance. Every time I smell it I always think of the later release of Benetton Colours for Men.
Halston 1-12 is one of my favorites.

fsulka
fsulka

This is very soapy and clean smelling on my skin. It is pleasant. However, I asked my wife to smell the back of my hand. Her thoughts: "Old man smell. Hasn't that been around forever?" I said, "Launched in the 70's but still popular in the fragrance community." She glanced at me with the "do whatever you want" look. Halston 1-12 doesn't work with my wife. This is OK. I have fragrances that I wear for her and those that I wear for me (far more fall into this second category).

Expense: I bought a larger bottle at Gordman's for I believe $7.99.

House Comparison: I prefer Z-14 over 1-12 but both are nice.

shamus1
shamus1

It's always comforting to know that there are companies still making stuff like this. Halston 1-12 smells so unlike anything that's been newly released in the past 40 years or so, seriously. It's a retro scent, very 70s.

I find it intensely green and floral. I don't smell any spicy, woody or leather notes in it. To my nose, 1-12 smells like flowers, grass, crushed green flower stems, oakmoss and a little amber to smooth everything out. If you love green chypres like Chanel Pour Monsieur, you might love this, even though the two scents are different.

Just as suitable for a woman as a man, 1-12 takes guts to wear nowadays. You definitely will not find a lot of other guys out there wearing this.

My rating: 8.5/10

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

If there was two fragrance which encapsulated this era would be Z-12 and Brut, a drugstore version of what a man should smell like. The price that you could buy this fragrance for does injustice of its bold rich aroma from oakmoss and spicy notes. After this juice settles I almost smell either cloves and or leather with a hint of woodsy aroma. A real attractive heavier base notes of lavender and juniper berries...still oakmoss with pine present.
Both Amber, labdanum and carnation gives this juice a lively warm vib to balance the spicy/woodsy aroma
Longevity and Silage is very well lasting over 8hrs with one spray.
Finally,
Like a lot of the older fragrance including this juice, if you took it out of its original bottle and put it into a high end posh bottle this fragrance would now be a nieche fragrance today! Perception of what we like or not shouldn't have to be about the name on the outside. The only thing that you should be concerned about is whether you like or not. I like it because it's quality and it lasting and fading away after a couple of hours. A real attractive masculine aroma.
3 ⭐⭐⭐.....7/10

Both Amber, labdanum and.
carnation gives this juice a lively warm vib to balance the spicy/woodsy aroma
Longevity and Silage is very well lasting over 8hrs with one spray.
Finally,
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐.....10/10

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

Green, peppery, and earthy. Not bad if you like old school green fragrances. This is probably what I would have expected Jaguar for Men to smell like.

Performance of the current formulation is ultra weak. I doused myself and barely got a couple hours. Ended up prying off the atomizer and using it as a splash on aftershave.

vonMises

This is a green masterpiece. I don't care much for greens, for the most part, but this is excellent and ridiculously affordable. A must buy if there is one.

xanthus_69
xanthus_69

I got this one as part of a set consisting of mini-bittle collectibles. I didnt so much like the scent because i think it seems perfect to be worn by more mature men with style and character. I decided to just give this one to my uncle and he loved the scent.

peteradio
peteradio

If you are between 20-25 Do not wear this thing. It's not very pleasant.

cjas9298
cjas9298

I wore Halston 1-12 daily throughout the spring 2014 and I spent an embarrassing amount of time smelling my arm. It’s dry, rich and resinous and very green. I read cannabis, bergamot, lemon, chamomile, galbanum, basil and anise; a pine and floral heart of violet, carnation, jasmine, rose and lily of the valley with cedar, rum and orange; and, a resinous finish of moss, labdanum, tonka, musk and vanilla. It's virile and beautiful--my signature scent.

Loewengel
Loewengel

I can recognize the smell of Halston Z-14 anywhere. Very distinctive, but today I had my first time with 1-12 and I bought it because it was very affordable, plus with a 20% off. Deal! Very 70s. That's the way men used to smell when I was going to elementary school back then. A blast from the past. Very strong fragrance, green and woody, yet warm to leave you breathless: masculinity at its prime that I can't wait to wear when the right occasion comes up.

Br'eauDeCologne
Br'eauDeCologne

Soapy/barbershop? Yes. Weak? No. I used to wear this starting in the 90s, off and on. Decided to revisit it. The bottle I received late last year smells like what I personally remember from 20 years ago. Still lasts. Great bargain.

My friend is a trendy, with-it kind of lady (and I'm the opposite; an average blue-collar guy). I was surprised that she STAYED on my neck when I wore this "old man" 70s scent for the first time around her. She was shocked when I told her what it was. Kinda funny when you think about it.

I can't speak to what EA has done to other scents, nor can I speak to the original 1976 formulation of 1-12. What I can speak to is this inexpensive 1-12 of today. It's a gem. Love it. As others have said try before you buy ... but this is a winner in my book.

Le_Coeur_Gothique
Le_Coeur_Gothique

My best friend since high school has become unintentionally the cause of both one of the best and one of the worst moments in my perfume life. Here's why...
During the '80s he moved to London to study optometry. When I saw him again some six moths later, I was blown away by the fragrance he was wearing.
"Gee man! This is absolutely breathtaking! What on earth is it?"
"These are exactly the words I used the other day."
he replied. "It's Halston 1-12."
As it turned out, he had encountered a fellow student wearing it, and he was as flabbergasted too.
And when he showed me its gorgeous bottle, I was about 95% sure that this was going to be the one.
Cause 1-12 was everything I could wish for.
Green, earthy, warm, absolutely heady and overly masculine. All in all a stunning fragrance in a bottle so beautiful that I couldn't get enough of handling it.
Oh, and girls loved it.
What else could a twentysomething ask for?
And so, 1-12 became a staple in our perfume wardrobe for a few years, until for some reason we couldn't find it anymore. And thus it was gone but not forgotten.
...
A couple of months ago my friend dropped by my house for an afternoon coffee, as he does regularly. Only this time he had something special in his pockets. Two brand new 125ml bottles of 1-12 having been just delivered to him. One of them was a gift for me. Excited beyond words, we made our coffee and sat on the couch in full anticipation, ready to enter the memory lane, with the two bottles about to serve as our time machine. We sprayed our wrists and waited for the miracle. It never happened. We stood in silence exchanging long stares. What we were sniffing was a ghost, a pale remnant of an once mighty presence. As if the bottles contained 25ml of the 1-12 we remembered, with the remaining 100ml being water. But even the quality of the fragrance seemed to have been dramatically changed for the worse. If 1-12 was to be considered a scale, what we were sniffing would hardly reach 3, and even reaching that low would have it panting. We gradually turned from disappointed to angry. It was such a letdown, that for a couple of minutes my friend tried to convince us that it was Z-14 the one we remembered and not 1-12. But then I reminded him of the little debate we had back in the days, about whether its name was 1-12 or I-12, and thus stopped him from flogging this long dead horse and gave his remaining futile hopes a coup de grâce. To say that we nearly mourned as if someone had died that evening, would not be an overstatement. Cause something had died indeed. Wows, originality, forwardness and balls. Along with a piece of our past. And this kind of loss is always a great one, no matter how often it's suffered.
So all I can do after this fiasco, is to stay true to my perfume guerilla tactics and try to spare you the frustration by shouting it from the rooftops. "Good people of the '80s, don't let this swindler fool you! Go for the vintage splash!"
...
I guess I owe a huge thanks to the "luminaries" running Elizabeth Arden, Inc. for being so full of inspiration and love about perfumes. Great work guys, please do keep doing it. Oh, and if you feel like sinking some other vessel of our memories with all hands, please go ahead and sink it. After all who needs memories when cash is flowing, right?

Karma-Shave
Karma-Shave

I had this and can fully understand why people like it, but for anyone thinking of buying it should not blind buy, try it first. It's a very strong nauseating soapy scent that gave me a headache whenever I used it.

In the end I gave it to a friend who can use it with enjoyment and no problems of headaches, so try before you buy.

camposg
camposg

one of the greats. It smells a little dated now, maybe its the current formulation but damn this stuff was good. A workhorse

Labaloo
Labaloo

Very-classic, aromatic fougère with oakmoss/tonka/lavender/citrus blend... and a complex set of green/herbal and woodsy modifiers- absolutely beautiful. I have the vintage with loads of oakmoss- have never smelt the new reformulation, but this one is a treasure in my collection, and supply is still good out there against demand as not enough people know about this fragrance and should, in my opinion.

hadrian
hadrian

It was with some hesitations that I recently blindly bought H1-12.
Its incredible price was an strong alibi - also, the fact that I still appreciate its brother HZ-14.
And now, I 'm tempted to say that H1-12 is, somehow, better than Z-14! It's unpretentious, it's definitely virile and it's pretty much unrecognizable by the crowd.
It is surely dated, yes - but in the classic sense of the word.
In my humble & honest opinion, 1-12 it's a gem. A must-have for any honourable colector. And nothing less than that. The price vs. quality ratio it's unbelievable.
A deserved 8,7/10.

Cire
Cire

Indeed, a true green fragrance. Very masculine, piney and it stands it's time, changing according to temperature too, leaving you wondering if you've worn Ea De Grey Flannel - Geoffrey Beene. I sprayed one on each hand and I'll tell you what, 1-12 just about kicks EDGF in lasting & projection, a close encounter I'd say.

Very good stuff & uncommon which gives the stand out factor. The bottle is unique too, gives the today's brands an uncontested run in appearance.

8/10 (Y)

PastelMoon
PastelMoon

Deep retro biting bitter green scent that would smell cold, sophisticated and rather frigid on a woman. I wore it with confidence and loved it. Dries down to a smooth clean woodsy scent.
Good for mixing with other scents as well, for example i mix it with Body by Victoria with positive results.
I truly love this perfume - it's uplifting like cold rain in a smoggy city and despite bearing a certain coldness, it could work in every season.

roll4fun
roll4fun

This was my first ever blind online purchase, and a very good one at that. Aroma is a blend of good soapy old-school barber aftershave mixed in with a bit of Polo Sport, maybe a touch of CK Obsession. All good.

I'd rate projection as being moderately strong, endurance being 6 hours plus easily. I,ve been complimented already on H1-12. I'd also tried out Z-14 at a drugstore- that came on too strong for my tastes. I would gladly buy another Halston 1-12 when this one runs out.

ohyousooners
ohyousooners

Like walking through a magical pine forest!

I love this stuff. It smells great. It's approachable. It's never offensive. Everyone likes it. It can be worn anywhere. It can be worn in any season. It can be worn at any occasion.

At $8 for 4.2 ounces, 1-12 is a huge BEST BUY. I cannot think of a better combination of low price and high quality. Sure, you may find cheaper, but you will not find better quality at this price point.

While it's been around a while, it's a timeless classic. 1-12 has also survived the reformulations better than it's big brother Z-14.

Get a bottle while it's still around.

No, you can't have my back-up bottle! =)

missan

@Bigsly, I have an old 1-12 that is made in the U.K.
I like it very much, very high quality.

redman24
redman24

bought this scent just recently and i get a nice powdery chocolate vanilla type vibe to it, i live in a tropical climate and this shit lasts for a long time and has a very cool yummy like vibe to it, it does smell somewhat vintage with the powdery effect but its nice and how many persons of generations past are still around to decipher 1-12 as against the other superb colognes, i'm in my thirties so this was created when i was born, so for a cologne this old to smell this good reformulation or not, its has to be a masterpiece hands down

I tried a new version a while back and thought it was too soapy and fairly weak (so I swapped it off); later I tried the newest formulation, which doesn't list any oakmoss or tree moss on the box (by EA Fragrances). How can you keep calling this one 1-12 without any moss notes? Call it 0-12 for goodness sake!

Fortunately, before sampling the newest version, I obtained a bottle of the original one made by Halston (I believe there was also a French Fragrances formulation, as I know there was with Z-14 at one time). This is a well-balanced green chypre with just a little lavender soapiness that doesn't last very long. Unlike some chypres of the 70s, however, this does not have any sharp/harsh qualities, as it is softened up by a bunch of notes, including florals. Eventually, it's not too far from the drydown of vintage Bijan for Men (as with that one, there is a nice, light wood note). I really was surprised by how rich and complex the vintage is, particularly in light of reviews, such as ones that talk about how it feels incomplete. This is clearly more "complete" than most if not all of the great 70s chypres! If you like the idea of a more complex and smoother green chypre than some of those old ones, sample the vintage version of this one.

who?me?
who?me?

Bought this blind for my husband and although we both like the initial attack as well as dry-down, it just didn't suit his skin. In an effort to salvage the purchase, I layered it with some tea rose that I had been using as room freshener and really liked the pungent mess which resulted. Yes, I'm THAT person who clears the room and the older I get, the worse it gets. For me, it smells good alone as well as a base for a floral (maybe one not as strong as all out rose) if you find yourself unable to discard it.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Received as a Christmas present!

I had a chance to smell it months ago on a paper strip at a specialty perfume store at a mall. I liked it - upon spraying, I immediately detected oakmoss (I looked at the box and confirmed that, yes, oakmoss was listed as an ingredient) and quickly jotted down a review note that this is one I had to revisit. When I got home I put it into my amazon.com Wish List. And Santa brought it!

I think my wife may have paid $10 for it, but it's just as likely she paid somewhat less. But, anyway, this stuff is very inexpensive.

I am very sorry to say, however, that the code on my bottle indicates that my juice was manufactured in October 2013 - and no oakmoss is listed on the box. Not even treemoss (which is the oakmoss substitute on 1-12's stablemate Z-14). The dreaded reformulation; I am guessing that the people at EA are in fear of the bureaucratic control freaks at IFRA, who seem hellbent on making oakmoss Perfumery Public Enemy Number One.

So - what's Halston 1-12 smell like nowadays? Hard to tell, really. It's an exceptionally light fougere of indistinct green notes. It's even lighter than a Jo Malone scent. I sprayed my skin and my tee shirt with about ten (!) sprays; a half hour later I can barely smell it. It might possibly make a room scent. It's a perfume for guys who hate perfumes. Look at the box... if it doesn't list oakmoss DON'T BOTHER. It's gutless.

So, FAIL. Thanks a lot for ruining another fine scent, EA. Here's another one you can avoid, perfumistas and perfumistos. My advice (and this is getting tiresome): Look for a vintage box with oakmoss listed.

Well - if there's is one truth I have personally observed over and over again, it's "You get what you pay for."

--------

Update: I traded this and some other stuff I didn't care for for about 60 ml of vintage Antaeus. NOW we're talkin'!

vonMises

A friendly fragrance. At the price it goes for, it is worth it just to hold the wonderful bottle. It is green, fragrant, and unpretentious. Excellent.

instantjim

I saw this for $10 so bought 3 bottles to get as gifts. I already have a bottle but decided to keep one as a back up and also to compare them as I read I had been reformulated.

It has, without a question been reformulated. The result is a lot thinner, weaker, less 'gutsy fragrance'. The boxes look similar except for the fact that evernia prunastri (oakmoss) and evernia furfuracia (tree moss) are not listed as ingredients on the new box. Also, Benzophenone 2 ( a UV absorber) is not on the new box, while butylmethoxydibenzoylmethane, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, ethyl salicylate are new ingredients listed. The first two are something to do with absorbing UV (they are used in sunscreens) and the ethyl salicylate smells like wintergreen. It seems that the Benzophenone 2 was removed as it is not approved for use in US sunscreens as it is a possible hormone disruptor.

I am not a chemist, but what I can say is the reformulation is only a shade of the previous version. I would give the old version 8/10, but the new version 6/10.

fuggerone
fuggerone

got vintage bottles....-on the same league with Grey Flannel, a classic!

Some have claimed this was reformulated badly and I don't know what version I have but I obtained the sample a few years ago. When I first tried it, I thought the opening was too rough, though at the time my sensitivity was high (and I wasn't nearly as good at detecting notes). The opening lasts perhaps 45 minutes with a few sprays to the chest. After that everything comes together and stays that way for several hours. It's a nice blend, with green, "soapy," woody, etc. elements that are mild. I like it but there's no "wow factor" for me, and after a while I begin to think of other fragrances I would rather wear that are not too distant from this one, whether that be Lauder for Men, Tsar, or even Krizia Uomo. The drydown of the new Grey Flannel may be the most similar to 1-12's drydown that I've come across, though definitely not identical (and if you really like GF I don't see why you would want 1-12). If you are looking for a scent that dries down to a mild soapy/green with complexity, this may be the way to go, though note separation isn't very good (there is no "blob effect," thankfully).

UPDATE: Apparently, the latest reformulation contains no moss of any kind, and it strikes me as a slightly spicy bubble bath smell. If that's what you want it will likely satisfy you.

Linden
Linden

1-12 opens clean, cool-soapy and green. The resinous, slightly bitter galbanum combines with citruses (I'm pretty sure I get some lime here) and basil creating subtle smoky undertones further heightened by the juniper which follows. As the heart develops, carnation and soft evergreen notes enter; the scent becomes more elegant. This is my fave moment, which lasts quite a few hours before finally drying to a warmer amber oriented base with a hint of cedar. I see a slight resemblence to GB Grey Flannel, but only briefly-up top, I get more of a Paco Rabanne feeling overall. Great, fresh, masculine classic-charming not overbearing.
EDIT: Had the opportunity to try a pre-EA bottle and must say the current formula is a bit cleaner and fresher, especially during the opening-softer aldehydes. The drydown on my skin in identical, and I find it actually lasts much longer, although I'm not sure hold old the FF bottle I tried was, but I'm thinking mid 90's.

mark.anderson
mark.anderson

Had this now for about 6 months. I bought it together with Z14. This fragrance has really won me over. The opening is spicy and crisp with the pine needle and Cedar..... feels good going on..... an hour later the dry down is smooth and warm.... with a reassuring musk, juniper and citrus combo becoming more pronounced. 1 12 radiates "MAN". I really enjoy this.... more now than Z14. This is underrated and in my humble opinion, best Halston out there. I have had many compliments too. At $20, its outstanding value and deserves more attention.

rootbeerlord
rootbeerlord

Great green spicy scent, I got my bottle for 13 dollrs for 4.2 ounces. very strong but to me that's good, means it lasts longer. This thing is going to last me forever

christa.self.5
christa.self.5

This is very very very very very strong. One spray and the entire upstairs of my house smells of Halston. My father has been wearing it for years and will wear nothing else. A big scent definitely suits a big man.

fresh_scents
fresh_scents

I'm in a vintage fragrance mode at the moment and have been scouring the shelves of discount retailers at least twice a week. Apparently there are some fragrance heads in my area that have beat me to items I desire add to my collection. There should be a law that prohibits other fragrance heads from either shopping or living within a 5 mile radius of my home. I only wish.

I picked up Halston 1-12 today on a $9.99 blind buy. This vintage fragrance is a projection monster before and after the dry down, but I like it. Halston 1-12 is a fragrance that requires a strong personality and is suitable for the cold weather months.

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

update ; better start to read from the bottom and then upwards....

it's ok but not as good as his brother Z14...
the opening isn't really my thing, after a few minutes it gets better (soapy/green scent) but with this kind of juice i would definitely prefer a edt like quorum...

UPDATE :

bit of a grower for me...it's a nice fresh spring misty morning kinda smell...get out of bed...jeans and T...then step outside...little shiver...then the spring sun shines on you and just the slightest breeze gives you a whif of 1-12....that kinda thing....

8,5/10

UPDATE :

it IS a grower....i now love the opening...mmm getting better all the time....love it !

RobbieX
RobbieX

A really masculine woody/spicy fragrance. Lasting power and sillage is great. Loads of character. In my opinion, Z14 is the better scent. 1-14 is old school but a nice fragrance.

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

Thanks to EA(Elizabeth Arden) Fragrances, Halston
1-12 is STILL around. It's a classic and smells phenomenally good. I like it more with every wearing. I don't have memories of what it formerly was, but this newer re-release is worth every penny and a whole lot more.

1-12 fits well into the Aromatic Green group. Fresh spicy, green, mossy and woody are very apppropriate descriptions. I would also add clean and vibrant to the mix.

More expensive fragrances in my collection don't have near the lasting power of this one. I like that I don't ever smell it on anyone else as well.

I wear it day or night in any season although it's probably best suited to Spring and Summer day use. It's pretty versatile. If you haven't tried it you might be missing out.

I think I'm going to stock up on 1-12 while it's still available.

gabriel.acosta
gabriel.acosta

To me it smells like a green pine, spicy and a little fresh, it has classic and strong smell, i dont like this, i like the modern fragance, this smell like a old vintage man.

krmarich
krmarich

I have decided to revisit 1-12 & Z-14 in the vintage formulas. They are reasonably priced and considering how good they were, worth the chase. The 1970s produced high quality affordable designer offerings that were sold at your local grocery and elsewhere!

I am going off of my memory for 1-12. I had lots of them with it! It was the introvert bohemian country cousin who liked quiet summer hikes. Z-14 was more of an extrovert city boy who liked late nights at Studio 54. They seemed a lot alike-not to mention their way too cool sister-Halston for women!

I never knew the notes. That was the mystery of the my early days of fragrance. I just knew they were good stuff. I believe I had them both by 1978! Wow, was it that long ago? Carefree days, indeed.

I was in middle school at the time. My hair was feathered. I was too young to shave. Superman the movie was in theatres(I wore 1-12 for my first showing)! The music chart was thriving-I had so many vinyl records-ELO-Out of the Blue. I was reading The Shining in paperback-1st printing. I wore 1-12 & Z-14 alternately to our local roller skating rink...teenage wasteland? Not with Halston! Middle America was paradise.

I credit them for my love of oakmoss to this day. I had no clue what that mysterious green herb was.

I hope that puts these classics into perspective. Dated? Yes-they are from a time when life held so much promise. I am sure you readers over 40 will agree. They are really part of our cultural history and need to be restored, if at least in my vintage collection.

Update-7/14/2012 My vintage original arrived today and my nose did a double take. I remembered this from 30 years ago. How much time had passed since my nose had last detected this wonderwork? It was a strange and foreign as I dabbed my first few drops. Then came the dramatic heart that I could never forget! Complex and comfortable. Oh, how I love this!

purplesun
purplesun

I just cant believe my nose. Halston was a genius to be sure, and if they had kept Z-14 the way it was, oakmoss and all, it would have remained just as potently wonderful as 1-12. One way or the other, both fragrances are a must for anyone who cares about perfume.
Update: I feel like crying, when I put this on, sorry to be so sentimental. Where are the contemporary fragrances that have just a fraction of the integrity of Halston 1-12? And I don't mean your Frederic Malle or Serge Lutens that nobody can really afford. (Sob)

stinkerweed
stinkerweed

I liked Halston Z14. Unfortunately, Halston 1-12 dries down to a very chemical smell. On me, it smelled like camphor and bug repellant. If you're in the woods and congested, maybe the thing - otherwise, not so much. ;)

ericrico
ericrico

Fresh, clean, invigorating classic scent - nice blast of citrus, moss, floral notes in the middle with pine that settles down some over time, but always maintains poise. Great reviews by Gypsy Parfumista (as always), santino (unique analogy) & karlovonamesti (you have very good reviews that I follow)...the key here is not to focus on the price tag. If someone blindly smells this, they will know that quality is in the juice - period. I, personally, love Aromatic Green scents (and fougeres). Once you look at the price tag, you lose a sense of what this fragrance offers. But, this is true with most anything people buy - they think a higher price tag means better quality. Not always the case. This is truly a great composition that has stood the test of time. Does it smell dated? Of course it does, but only to a degree as fresh & green is not "dated" - it smells like something from a previous generation, but in a good way. Anyone wearing this today is confident, understands scent and would prefer not to smell like anybody else. My overall rating is a solid 7.5+/10 and a recommendation to blind buy. Wear this and be confident. A scent for a man who is self-assured.

**Update** - a credit to krmarich, who inspired me to get both 1-12 and Z-14 in Vintage bottles. I acquired Z-14 first in After Shave format, as I wanted to enjoy the vintage smell - but at a volume of comfort in today's world. Outstanding.

I have always had a personal love of 1-12 and remember smelling it years ago. My initial review above was of a recent reformulation with an atomizer. Exceptionally green, pine-infused and clean - wonderful & fresh. However, when I got a 4oz Splash bottle (true vintage) of 1-12 in a bit tattered, older box - I knew I was opening something special. And, I indeed was...! The reference to glorious oakmoss that Krmarich mentions is so wonderfully in use here. This is nostalgic and something you will NOT find today. While still retaining a wonderful, clean, green and a lightly soapy vibe (in a great way) - the 4oz of juice is centered around wonderful oakmoss. Not dank or musty...but natural, earthy and warm. As much as I would like to think Halston 1-12 is a bright green and fresh scent (as in today's formulation), it is actually one of smooth and lathery, moss-drenched goodness in Vintage. Wow!

It would be interesting to layer a nice splash of the Vintage Cologne to get the rich bed of oakmoss and then let the fresh and zesty green notes and spices (with light florals) sparkle on top with current formulation. I may try that someday. For now, I am content revisiting the days gone by all to themselves. This is what 1-12 was MEANT to smell like - a little dated? Sure...but, that is the beauty! You know you are wearing something that will never be created again. Today's bottle, while very good, is missing the key ingredient that made it so good, oakmoss. Vintage rating: 8.5/10! Wonderful. Cheers, krmarich...and a sincere sense of gratitude.

jtd
jtd

1-12 is proof of two truisms in perfumery: 1) fragrance doesn’t need to be expensive to be good, 2) men’s fragrance = (women’s fragrance – the more interesting parts) x 0.75. Forget the fact that Halton’s 1-12 preceded Balmain’s Ivoire by 4 or so years. As a notion, an exercise, take Ivoire. Walk it back, strip it down, and you’ll have 1-12. Ivoire is a definitive soapy white/green floral with an oddly edgy creaminess and a drydown arc of days. 1-12 isn’t as dense as Ivoire, but it is green and musky with a pinch of sharpness as well.

Their shared characteristic is green soapiness with a bite. Well, actually, for you dog people, where Ivoire has a bit of a terrier’s bite, 1-12, more a bird dog, has a soft mouth. Ivoire’s bite is an extremely peppery carnation that fits perfectly with its dense white/green floral sensibility. 1-12’s sharpness is a mild dose of moss and gives 1-12 its light green chypre quality.

1-12 comes only in edc concentration and after a strong opening, doesn’t have great endurance or projection, but because of its chypre drydown remains comfortable and coherent.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

1-12 opens with a blast of galbanum and lemon. Eventually the heart wells with pine, spicy carnation, lavender, vetiver, cinnamon, basil, coriander, and a touch of tonka. This is a wonderful chypre, straddling the line between leathery and fresh. A must try for any fan of greens, and perfect for autumn and winter.

missan

I love this, very elegant citrus, pine and moss. Found a bottle from about -85, don´t know how it compares to the present.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

Bought a 4.2 bottle at TJ Maxx for $5! It is similar to Z14 but more subdued, especially in the dry down. The lavender is more pronounced than Z14. Very nice.

Grottola
Grottola

Much like Grey Flannel, Halston 1-12 gives me the same trouble that Grey Flannel does - too much violet leaf. I tend to have problems with violet leaf-dominant fragrances (see also: Fahrenheit and Ocean Wet Wood), and in 1-12 it's no exception. The violet combines with oakmoss/green notes to smell overbearing and slightly putrid, like grass stains and mashed potatoes. Weird comparison, huh?

Granted, the green notes are a little more pleasant than Grey Flannel, but still, I can't find much difference between the two. Thankfully, 1-12 usually goes for $10 or less at discounters and isn't overpriced in any way.

santino
santino

This is a story of two brothers. One of them is very charming, rugged, mainstream and acceptable. The other guy is artistic, misunderstood, rebel and understated. You know this story of I-12 and Z-14 reminds me of one of the most famous siblings in the world. Vincent Van Gogh And Theo. My father is a fanatic of painting, so in my childhood, he would read the book Letters to Theo to me instead of fairytales! And as I began to wear Z 14 and I 12 on regular basis, I naturally associated them to the famous Dutch brothers.
I happen to love both of them. My only complain is that glory of Z-14 has over shadowed his elegant brother. Now being in my late 20s, I understand that this would take beating by current generation who cares to smell "fresh" rather than masculine. Can there be any cologne more fresh smelling than Halston I-12? Well atleast not to me. To describe this fragrance, I would just say imagine a fragrance that has essence of Halston Z-14 and Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel. Yeah I know many are frowning now! But thats okay. I will take pleasure in knowing that since this scent is so misunderstood, I wont easily run into a guy wearing this

I swapped for a decant of this and sampled it three times over the courser of about five months. I don't understand the appeal of it at all. It seems so weak, with just a somewhat soapy/green quality that I find irritating. Perhaps I just don't like this combination of notes. If you think you want a soapy/green fragrance, why not give this one a try, since it's so inexpensive? You can always spray more than usual. I'm more of a Z-14 person. I prefer ones like Quorum or Polo to 1-12. I think the young guys of today much prefer aquatic or fresh/sports fragrances to soapy/green ones, especially for casual situations or school/office/job, but it may be good for a young guy who has to attend a formal event. I would not be at all surprised if I sampled a reformulated version that is a pale reflection of the original.

UPDATE:

I tried a new version a while back ad thought it was too soapy and fairly weak. then I tried the newest formulation, which doesn't list any oakmoss or tree moss on the box (by EA Fragrances). How can you keep calling this one 1-12 without any moss notes? Call it 0-12 for goodness sake!

Fortunately, before sampling the newest version, I obtained a bottle of the original one made by Halston (I believe there was also a French Fragrances formulation, as I know there was with Z-14 at one time). This is a well-balanced green chypre with just a little lavender soapiness that doesn't last very long. Unlike some chypres of the 70s, however, this does not have the sharp/harsh qualities of those, as it is softened up by a bunch of notes, including florals. Eventually, it's not too far from the drydown of vintage Bijan for Men. I really was surprised by how rich and complex the vintage is, particularly in light of reviews, such as ones that talk about how it feels incomplete. This is clearly more "complete" than most if not all of the great 70s chypres! If you like the idea of a more complex and smoother green chypre than some of those old ones, sample the vintage version of this one.

Bought a 4.2 oz bottle of this at one of the discount stores for 7.99 when I heard it had been discontinued. I really like all of Halston's men's scents (Z being the only one I've never smelled)and this one is no exception...

This is a classic men's scent in every sense of the word. Having been launched in 1976, you would expect it to smell dated (Canoe, Brut, etc...) but this one is fresh and clean. A very citric green resinous opening is created by the lemon, bergamot and mandarin. Add to this the power of galbanum and freezing mint and it is quite biting and aromatic. As this begins to settle the the greens continue with pine and juniper rising in an almost vapory way that is not entirely unpleasant, due to those ever popular male seventies florals of lavender, carnation and jasmine (woody, dry and sweet). The drydown on this continues in a powerful way, but is more subtle than the top or heart. The resinous smell of labdanum and amber is offset by the woodiness of cedar and the soapiness of vetiver. The warmth of tonka beans and smooth vanilla mellow it, as does the oakmoss and musk gives it just a hint of natural attractiveness.

Sillage: great
Longevity: very good
Overall: 3.75/5

I've heard that Halston could not make up his mind between Z-14 and 1-12, so he decided to release them both. The names came from the numbers on the test batches from the Noses involved. Pretty shrewd on his part, I think. There are times when Z-14 the leather-heavy manly 'evil twin' to this is more apropos and times when this very clean, green powerhouse is more applicable.

This is very aromatic and may not be for everyone, but I think it is worth trying out, and is very classic...

instantjim

I bought this blind so that I could have both Halston Z-14 and Halston 1-12. It is a high quality fragrance, though I don't like it as much as its brother.

After an opening which smells similar to Z-14 (at least for 30 seconds) it settles into a soapy fragrance which has a touch of sharpness. It is much less animalistic than Z-14 and in fact is rather clean-smelling.

The middlenotes are dominated by jasmine which is supported by the rich, diverse array of basenotes.

It lasts about half as long as the Z-14 on my skin.

It is winter at the moment in Australia and I think come Springtime this will be a great fragrance to wear. The one advantage it has over Z-14 is that it will suit a wider range of temperatures.

jetstar
jetstar

in the 70's when it was time to stop stealing my dads Pierre Cardin and search out a smell of my own in a sea of fragrances i stumbled across this gem. i didn't just like it i loved it. it smelled like..me I've never thought about its composition never could pick out the notes , though Ive always thought it did have a cedar thing going on that was always buried in the ? orangy floral bite of spiciness that engulfs and envelops as it opens around you, many many girls have complimented on my 'smell' over the years and still do, always loved that!,its half the reason for wearing it the other half is though I've searched and found a few great guy scents over the years i have never found one that works as well on ME and my chemistry it smelled great young and unique and still holds it own and I'm glad i don't have to pay $80 a bottle for it these days now you can get about 4 for that nowadays wow what a difference, i do like i am king some similar qualities and so does my wife but as a replacement...hmmm hard to change after 30 years.. still if one came along and blew me away like this did oh so many years ago maybe, this scent also blends so well with the smell of a good leather jacket in the 80's i dumped a bottle on my new motorcycle jacket and it was a whole new level of awesomeness! the new juice is still great a little sharper and spicier than the original the liquid is now green instead of purple like that makes a difference, but i could still bath in it,seriously, ok enough rambling but its hard to stop when its love :) 1/12 forever!

Aristo
Aristo

Masterpiece among chypre fragrances!

ScottyVizz
ScottyVizz

70's powerhouse scent that's actually a tad sophisticated. Not bad

nikornplay
nikornplay

strong and macho .very unique scent .feel warm and power.Also it stay long and change smell depend on climate and sweaty or not.
classic bottle in my cabinet.

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

Fond memories of 1-12 & Z-14. My first adult job in 1978 (right out of high school) was at a Hudson's dept. store and I purchased both of them. I used to wear both at the same time. I haven't smelled or worn this fragrance since the mid '90s, but remember it as a nice masculine scent, esp. mixed together.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Halston Halston 1-12 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Halston Halston 1-12, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Halston 1-12 by Halston. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Halston 1-12 by Halston represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.