Designers » F-H » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Equipage Geranium Hermes for men

Equipage Geranium Hermes for men
dislike

Equipage Geranium Hermes for men Pictures

As a part of the Collection Les Classiques, Hermes launches a new interpretation of the classic masculine fragrance Equipage, created by Guy Robert in 1970. Perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena s developed the new edition Equipage Geranium, available from fall 2015.

This manly and aromatic fragrance contains spicy accords and geranium, invigorating flavor between rose and mint. Sandalwood brings elegant and sensual side to the composition.

Available as 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

Geranium Spices Sandalwood

Equipage

Equipage Geranium Fragrance Reviews

frag2017
frag2017

Hermes Equipage Geranium was a surprise for me. The name didn’t suggest that I would like it, but after trying it on my arm and taking away a test card, I ended up going straight back to purchase a full bottle.

I can understand why so many people love this one.

After the initial sharpness on spraying, what I get is a fresh, somewhat soapy scent with more than a slight hint of mint. There is a green undercurrent that matches up with the natural geranium that I remember.

Overall, this comes across to me as a refined and sophisticated fragrance that is some distance away from the generic mens fragrances that are so common these days.

Equipage Geranium helps to reinforce Hermes good reputation for classic and classy fragrances at the upper end of the fragrance market.

I think this one is suitable for any occasion, as it’s light and retains its freshness throughout. I detect sandalwood on dry down. While very much reminiscent of classic men’s fragrances, It’s not an overtly masculine fragrance to my nose but any floral notes compliment the fragrance.

Longevity is moderate, though it remains as a subtle and pleasing fragrance towards the end.

I’m not familiar with the original, so I cannot offer a comparison. However, I opted for this one over the current Equipage when testing.

farang
farang

Love it! It starts with a nice blend of aromatic herbs and fresh spiciness and dries down to an aromatic floral-spicy-moss like base. It is so well blended that it can be difficult to separate the notes. Not that I mind, since well blended is a positive feature in my book.

The dry down seems to contain a dose of oakmoss and perhaps a dash of civet. It is unapologetic masculine - make no mistake about it as this is no unisex fragrance. I find it rather sexy - for the grown up man.

I cannot compare it with the regular Equipage since I don't know that fragrance well enough, though this fragrance is excellent and one of Hermes' best, in my opinion. It projects quite well and has a rather good duration, perhaps 6-7 hours on my skin.

puresmell
puresmell

This is very, very nice!

The notes geranium, spices and sandalwood are a pretty good description of what is most prominent in this scent. It is a refined neo-classic that has both the old school vibe and a modern and fresh refinement.

Compared to the current reformulation of Equipage the spices are fresher and possibly even better blended. The mossy drydown is replaced with a really gorgeous sandalwood. I want to have both but for most people I think the new Equipage Geranium is the way to go.

This and Tom Ford Italian Cypress are probably my favourite retro juices.

George K.
George K.

Equipage Geranium is part of Les Classiques of Hermes collection,created my Jean Claude Ellena.A new lighter edition than classic Equipage in 1970's with geranium which makes it brighter,clove smells like chocolate with a hint of rose-mint.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

A wonderful fragrance. I love it! Thanks Hermes for creating such a great unique fragrances among todays boring designer stuff. This is a great companion to the exciting regular Equipage. A more fresh version perfect for spring and summer.

Jrmcquill
Jrmcquill

Soapy, minty geranium opens this new twist on a classic. I am fortunate enough to own a vintage bottle of Equipage, and I like how this modernizes and freshens the original, without losing it’s class. My mother always had my old man plant geranium baskets for the house, and I liken this opening to more of the leaves of the plant. This then evolves to show light rose, rosewood, a soft sandalwood, and I even get powdered leather late in the wearing. I still like the vintage original more…for now. This is a well made addition to the name. Thumbs up!

gedlive
gedlive

This is quite close to vintage Equipage. I have the first two formulations of vintage Equipage, and this one smells more like the second formulation, with the brown plastic around the top of the bottle. It has more cinnamon and spice in the opening as the second formulation. Then in the mid, the spices die down and you get something very close to original heart accord of vintage Equipage; a slightly sour minty Geranium, Rosewood, pine, moss, and Lilly of the valley. It seems to replicate the smell of wet leather saddles and sadle soap. Hense the equestrian theme.

It's a pretty close homage to original Equipage, a little shallower and more spicy. But quite good, if I couldn't get vintage Equipage, I may get Geranium Equipage. J-C Ellena said he loved Equipage vintage and tried to discover it 1000 times. I think he just about nailed it here.

It doesn't seem to have more Geranium than the original. Geranium is one of the main heart notes of the original. You could say the original Equipage is a Geranium dominant fragrance.

So this is realy nothing different than a good reformulation of the original. Maybe closer to Vintage Equipage than the present formulation, which I have not tried.
So if you love original Equipage as I do, and can buy it at a reasonable price on E-bay, don't bother getting this, nothing new really. I gave vintage Equipage a 10/10 rating and think it is the best fougere of the past 50 years. Masterpiece !

Update: As I did a side by side comparison, (Equipage Geranium vs vintage Equipage) the Geranium note that I remembered is such an essential part of the vintage heart accord, is highlighted and brought forth in the new "Equipage Geranium", love it. I can use my vintage bottles more freely now that I have found a fully acceptable replacement to the vintage.

I am growing in Hermes fragrances and appreciation for the house, as Colin Mailard has said about Hermes, they are putting out great fragrances for men and not at over the top niche prices. I appreciate J-C Ellena, and how he is taking classics like Bel Ami and Equipage and adding or highlighting an aspect.

Equipage Geranium -

Rating: 9.25/10

God bless you. John 3:16

jhitt793
jhitt793

'Equipage Géranium' opens with a bright hesperidic accord which seems bolstered by bergamot. Its tartness is mirrored with transparent aldehydes and a amalgam of spices (cardamom, nutmeg and clary sage perhaps?). The spicy citrus opening is heavenly, as it invigorates the senses with its extreme freshness. Next a gentle geranium note is perceptible in the heart of the composition. Its facets of mint and rose are amplified. Here I gathered a sense of cleanliness, as it reminded me of a finely milled French soap. Geranium's herbal and vegetal tones are indeed a perfect match to the aromatic opening. After drying down on the skin, the scent transforms again as an indolent sandalwood note dominates. With its rounded and creamy qualities, sandalwood imbues a rich and comforting sensation. Hints of both vetiver and oak moss are perceptible, wrapping the fragrance in a musky base.

I really enjoyed this re-interpretation of the classic 'Equipage'. As I am not overly familiar with the original fragrance, I will abstain from doing a side by side comparison but can note that I view 'Equipage Géranium' to be a somewhat lighter/fresher version of its older brother. The composition is unabashedly masculine and carries all the expected characteristics of an aromatic fougère. I was enthralled by the beautiful transitions the scent goes through after applying to the skin, as it is indeed quite mesmerizing. As an "eau de toilette" concentration, the fragrance's sillage and projection are above average while longevity seems only average. Some younger men may find this scent too mature, as it definitely denotes a mature sophistication. 'Equipage Géranium' seems suitable for year round wearing, but is perhaps most splendid in the transitional months of spring and autumn.

Read my complete review at my personal blog
Fragranceemergency.blogspot.com

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Among the most prominent designer brands, Hermès is currently probably the only one which is still able to deliver solid products on a consistent basis, at least for the masculine/unisex side – good, sometimes great, decently boring in the worst cases. This new addition to their classic series confirms that commitment to respect customers’ taste and intelligence. Equipage Geranium is in fact, briefly put, a very solid fragrance. It pays all respects to Equipage’s heritage, cleverly reworking its bone structure by giving it a sharper, colder, more floral yet somehow drier shape – shortly, a fresher, more contemporary look. And also a sort of more transparent, edgy texture. I must say that globally it is very similar to Equipage, even almost too much, and you easily get it since the very opening. “Equipage in spring”, so to speak: all that timeless, distinguished, smoky herbal-woody refinement tinged with a shade of cold, yet cozy an breezy geranium and a sprinkle of spices, topped with a really enjoyable citric accord – citrus was there in Equipage too, here it seems a bit stronger and more persistent. The evolution is equally enjoyable, the scent – which turns out to be quite more long-lasting and bolder than you may assume – gets drier, a bit darker and woodier as a base blend of bitter mossy woods (vetiver mostly) and, I think, some cloves-leather accord gets a more prominent position, with even a touch of grey, slightly powdery smoke arising and giving some dusty, refined warmth to the blend. Still a sharp herbal blend, just a bit moodier and more somber. Oddly enough, as we’re talking about two opposite types of fragrances, the emerging of a general sense of dusty-sweet warmth brings in a really distant echo of the very drydown of Tiffany for Men, too.

Coming to the main feature and the “raison d’etre” of this flanker – the geranium – I am sadly not familiar enough with it, so I can not comment on the specific note extensively. Never been a fan of it, actually. But it seems, well, really good to me here. It smells crisp, tolerably acrid, even slightly fruity and powdery while remaining bracingly sharp and minty. And it shows some evolution, which is often a sign of quality of materials – it doesn’t simply decrease its presence, but it changes and evolves, getting unexpectedly warmer and more “powdery-floral” before leaving the stage to the mossier-woodier drydown, with sandalwood and salty vetiver as nearly-main notes – both quite thin, but fulfilling and solid.

So overall, you surely get the “Equipage” first, and only then, the subtle, brighter floral-spicy variations. In other words, don’t expect a geranium-based scent; rather a subtle, elegantly executed spicy geranium-based variation on Equipage. Whether you care for or know Equipage already, the final result is an extremely pleasant, refined “old school” fragrance with a palpable “vintage” feel (the mossiness, the virile and restrained dryness, the austere herbal-woody structure with that nondescript sort of citric-metallic feel so many classic masculine scents had, and so on – several classic names come to mind, from Monsieur Carven to, obviously, vintage Equipage itself) and a more contemporary tangy accord of spicy-grassy notes. Quite a mature, “over-30” discreet fragrance fitting like a bespoke glove, lasting longer than I expected and projecting just perfectly. Maybe just a tad too close to Equipage to make sense for Equipage fans, but... well done, Hermès.

7,5-8/10

AntonAnton
AntonAnton

For me, this is like the old Equipage with an airy, dry and lush floral opening, but settles down to the smooth, assured and confident Equipage I know. This geranium and rose floral arrangement is actually traceable throughout and doesn't obscure the original Equipage DNA, instead bringing a freshness to the whole fragrance.

This fragrance bears obvious resemblance to its predecessor, but also nods it head to its older cousin Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955). It is just as timeless and classic and an be worn anywhere.

This is a lasting fragrance but discreet enough to appeal to the class, elegance and taste a true gent simply has. I'd not hesitate to put Acqua di Parma Essenza, both of Mark Birley's men's fragrances, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Richard James Saville Row and Givenchy Vetyver into this category of men's fragrance - calm and quiet but wielding a formidable masculine strength.

kl99
kl99

I love geranium and geranium rose accord.
And I love Equipage on others.. on me is too much "here we are my father!"
So in this version I hope.
Yes I hope in a classic no dated... would be good a modern classic also.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Equipage Geranium fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Hermes Equipage Geranium, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Equipage Geranium by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Equipage Geranium by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.