Designers » I-K » Chypre Floral « Groups

Jean-Louis Scherrer Jean-Louis Scherrer for women

Jean-Louis Scherrer Jean-Louis Scherrer for women
dislike

Jean-Louis Scherrer Jean-Louis Scherrer for women Pictures

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer is a chypre floral fragrance for women. Jean-Louis Scherrer was launched in 1979. Top notes are aldehydes, green notes, violet, cassia and hyacinth; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, gardenia, orris root, jasmine and rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, civet, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver and cedar.

Aldehydes Green Notes Violet Cassia Hiacynth

Christie

Jean-Louis Scherrer Fragrance Reviews

Tamango
Tamango

Ce parfum, trop méconnu et difficile à trouver, est un des grands chypres de la parfumerie française. Les deux versions EDT et EDP sont deux propsitions différentes. La version EDT se fait plus légère, plus,douce alors que l'EDP est un poids lourds en terme de tenue et de sillage. Tout dépend donc de l'effet recherché. J'invite toutes celles et tous ceux un ne le connaîtraient pas à,courir tester ce fabuleux premier opus de la marque Jean-Louis Scherrer. Une tuerie !!!

zyby
zyby

I’d been regretting that I didn’t purchase a lifetime supply of vintage JEAN-LOUIS SCHERRER back-ups, but I can let go of that now, because the reformulation has stayed true to the spirit of the original. I recently purchased a new bottle (edt) and am hoarding the last drops in my vintage one.

This is such a lovely green fragrance. As compared to the vintage, the current version of the edt is perhaps just slightly less rich overall and is a tad sharper initially, but it mellows with dry-down. The green notes are dominant throughout, but there are many nuances here that present themselves over the course of many, many hours. When I wear this, the fragrance seems to cycle between moments of perfume-y smoothness and other moments when I can detect certain individual notes: rose, sandalwood, powder, jasmine and subtle spiciness. It’s not sweet or overly floral. Sillage is on the upper end of moderate and this is a fragrance that I can wear at any time and for any occasion. In my opinion, this is a must-have for “green” enthusiasts.

lilymorena
lilymorena

After reading the reviews I decided to blind buy the Edp. Unfortunately it doesn't match my skin. I have a 50 edp bottle in box min 1 test to swap in Europe.

Hisbeloved
Hisbeloved

I just got the sample.. this smells just like boucheron to me. Lovely scents.. but not my style.

Black_Swan
Black_Swan

If you try this one and think you don't like it because of it's sharpness, try it in warm weather. As with these classic fragrances, they are built to be stronger. One spray is all you need, and give it a chance to dry down. It is so much more glorious in warmer weather. Something slightly sweeter comes through to make it the freshest and loveliest green gem - like a breath of fresh clean meadow air. It reminds me of Chanel Cristalle EDT, which I tried very hard to like but just didn't - it remained dark, dank, and sour on me, and never seemed to warm and meld into my skin like this one does. The sun came out with this one on me. Such a little hidden, timeless gem. If you are a fan of green, this is a must.

Rectification :
I have corrected a wrong info in my review.The twin bro of the edt is the vintage ,v expensive SIKKIM extrait !

luminousblack
luminousblack

YES YES YES!!!!!! A MASTERPIECE!!!!!! It's beautiful!!!!!! I could cry with the beauty of it!!!!! Glorious glorious GLORIOUS!!!!

mapache
mapache

Just read all the positive reviews. The TRUTH has been written/spoken. This is one of the BEST scents I have ever owned. I won't go on about the notes..ect....Everyone has said all that and more.
A true..........MASTERPIECE.
Reform or vintage form....still BOTH...awesome.
I lean more towards the EDT. But, I will soon buy the EDP, just to have it !!!! I first tried this in the early 80's when it came to the USA. I bought a bottle "on first sniff". Then as life changes...sometimes you forget about certain things....and you return to them.
I stopped at a perfume shop about 1 month ago..saw the JLS bottle....and told the SA, I will take one EDT...LARGE size please.
She replied, "We don't have a tester for you to try"
I replied...."NO need to try it, thank you, I am re-visiting an old friend".

pearlheart
pearlheart

It's the most gorgeous perfume! All the reviews are so good, and everyone has said all there is to say! It's fantastic! Oh my beautiful Jean-Louis Scherrer - you are adorable!!!!! I adore you and love you totally!!!!
It's so classically perfect! Such a dream of a perfume! Heavenly, wonderful! It's so good! I love it! I don't know what to say! It's the most wonderful oakmoss (I have the vintage bottle!), and vetiver dry-down! I adore that! (I can't stop putting exclamation marks!!) It is, as one reviewer said, 'heartbreakingly beautiful'. It's the most womanly, elegant, classy, green and feminine perfume I've ever smelt. And the compliments I get!!! God, it's more than I've ever had, with any perfume. It's magnificent. Truly the most beautiful, feminine fragrance!!!! Glorious!
Magnifique!!!!

theuntrainednose
theuntrainednose

Ladylike, sophisticated yet approachable.

Very well-balanced, wearable, office-appropriate if you use it sparingly, but with the impression of warm human, it can be understatedly sexy if in the right context.

Like a very good pine/cedar/oakmoss/floral fine old-style soap on a clean, warm, happy, serene woman. Vaguely powdery, almost sleepy and yet energized in a very serene way. Makes me wish to be that woman, serene, confident, in the moment, here and now.

I like how it smells. I love how it makes me feel.

I own a sample and may want to buy it in the future.

To-retest. A good candidate in my search for a serene fragrance.

empressevie
empressevie

Absolute, heavenly delight. I stumbled across this by chance and boy, am I glad I did. Blind bought two bottles based on your reviews; thanks so much for such spot on truths.

Tillywave and others have nailed it; this is a cross between so many of those aldehydic, floral greens that I love and bring back those bolder times, but which always let me down somewhere in the dry down or longevity stakes. It is very reminiscent of Estee Lauder Private Collection, Dioressence, Chanel #19, Alliage, Ma Griffe and Fidji (so hard to find) but has something more robust and lingeringly sweet to offer. It also has the aura of Eau du Soir.

But..at a fraction of the price, and with something a little extra.

This is my new daytime statement fume. I'm loving it!

Just ordered three more bottles. So sick of missing out because a perfume has been discontinued.

If those are perfumes that make your heart sing and your spirits soar - try this. It is a masterpiece.

All the best!

TillyWave

Queen of the Green (EDT, current formulation)

Some green chypres are dark and moody, but JLS is bright and cheerful, bursting with springtime flowers and yes, greenery.

At some point or another I can smell almost every green note that exists: Fresh mown lawns, pine needles, moss, galbanum, tree sap, grasses, you name it. This perfume is green from top to bottom, the rest of the notes are just there to put an accent on the GREEN. It falls somewhere between Chanel No 19 and Estee Lauder's Private Collection.

But here's the thing--it's better than both of those perfumes. Along with the multitude of green notes there are also wonderful florals, a lot of white flowers, a hyacinth that seems to get stronger the longer you have it on, and in the dry down, slightly red/spicy carnations pop out.

By the drydown it does get a little darker and woodier, the oakmoss seems more dominant, along with a heaping dose of vetiver. The florals have quieted down considerably, but there remains a lingering floral sweetness that compliments the basenotes.

JLS could never be some assertive, "bitchy" fragrance (whatever those are, for some reason green perfumes get tarred with the bitch brush) but really makes me feel happy and hopeful, as this is pure springtime in a bottle.

Initially JLS wears strongly, for about an hour there is some serious sillage going on. After that, it calms down and only those close to you will be able to detect it. It's an EDT so lasts about 4 to 6 hours total.

This is for the newest formulation of JLS, I also have vintage EDT as well, and while it smells different than the older stuff--which may simply be caused by the aging--the new bottles smell wonderful and are very worthwhile! Also, can I say this--Fragrancenet's ebay store has 100 ml bottles of this for like $22. Which is a hell of a deal, especially compared to how much Chanel No 19 costs.

lucia.lawson
lucia.lawson

Scherrer is a green blast from the past!

As for my own past in the years between 1979 and 1981 I was wearing this fragrance and alternating it with Magie Noire, Aliage & Ivoire de Balmain.

To me this fragrance is in the same category of chypre perfume but it has a classier and sedate respectability to it like Chanel No. 19, Vent Vert, Ivoire de Balmain and even Chanel Gardenia or Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia.

If the thought of an aldehyde green floral aroma of leaves, oak, moss, gardenia, jasmine, and woods excites your nostrils, this is akin to an olfactory orgasm.

I have mentioned quite a few well known chypres but when it comes down to it I would say that this smells mostly like VENT VERT by Balmain.

Like VV, Scherrer is fresh, perfumy, aromatic, crisp, and bright, as opposed to the melancholy autumn that is Ivoire de Balmain & Magie Noire.

So this then is definitely a happy fragrance.

As it opens, I sense that it strikes one as a soap scent like IRISH SPRING the classic soap.

But I like that. It has a freshness coming from the aldehydes which then turn green with chemically formulated notes that remind you of bushes and groves. It's a natural spring aroma of flowers & woods.

Lacking in fruits, it makes up for it in flowers.

The violet, hyacinth, jasmine, carnation and gardenia are the flowers that come forth through the chemicals.

It has a diminutive cassia scent which keeps it sweet but only for a moment as this turns into an autumnal and outdoorsy wildflower scent, not a bouquet of flowers or flowers in domestic vases.

For me the whole thing begins to gravitate toward smelling of a green carnation and a white gardenia.

The white floral notes of jasmine, tuberose & white rose are soapy but turn into a gardenia with greenery all around her.

It still smells like when you're OUTDOORS, OUTSIDE and you catch whiffs of flowers.

As perhaps the most enthusiastic of chypre fanatics, this is a paradise of scents and notes, coming together so beautifully in perfect harmony.

I always felt that this fragrance deserved an award. If applied liberally the perfume becomes a typically heavy green floral that most likely would cause offense to nearby noses.

The first time I sprayed her liberally on me a colleague of mine remarked "What did you use to put that thing on a fire extinguisher?".

I never listen to comments like that!

But if you want to be safe, wear this fragrance sparsely & apply moderately.

The fragrance develops and finishes off as a no nonsense hardcore chypre with fallen moss from oak trees, layers and layers of moss. It also smells of cedar wood and sandalwood.

The woodsy notes are the true charm of this scent.

The flowers are one thing but those woods, especially that cedar scent, is most beautiful. It reminds me of cottages and wooden huts in deep forests that have nothing inside them but wood.

An enchantment of greenery.

I wear this perfume now in the autumn months between September and November.

Fall does not last as long as I'd like it to in the UK and the winter chills come early.

This scent is not warm enough for me in colder weather.

Because it's fresh and even a bit cold, it's perfect for late summer and through the autumn months.

As it's so woodsy, it's also a unisex fragrance and gentlemen you too can benefit from this great aroma.

I hope my fragrance review has been useful.

karmascent
karmascent

This was a blind buy of the EDP (I suspect it's the most recent version: it's packaged under the "SA Designer Parfums, LTD" and the label on the front of the bottle ONLY says "Jean-Louis Scherrer Paris" and "Eau de Parfum").

The very first spray transported me back to the 60's (which predates the fragrance), triggering a fragrance memory of my mother's Revlon Aquamarine. No, they don't smell identical, but something in the first whiff promises the same magical "ride". It evolves over the course of a few hours and is quite magical on me. It started off sharply, but alluringly green (not the synthetic screechy green of want-to-be chypres) followed by a sweet, yet spicy almost herbal component with violet leaves unfolding. Next it was almost identical to Mitsouko on me (yet not as bold). Then there was a comforting, sweet mossy phase. The drydown was delectable: a sugared green spiciness that lasted until the next morning.

I am completely infatuated with this fragrance -- why oh why did it take me this many years to discover it?

Emcia
Emcia

This stuff is incredible. I received my bottle of the EDT in a lovely swap in late spring/early summer. I was immediately drawn to it but detected a weird peanut note in the opening that was very off-putting. Now, a couple of months later, I'm in another city and another climate, and the summer heat is stifling. J-LS is the stuff of dreams in this weather. The peanuts have vanished and with one cautious spray I get gorgeous spicy florals, green from start to finish. Then I got bolder, and went for two sprays. Now I get the aldehydes, underlaid with a gorgeous canopy of moss. I've been searching for a chic chypre that works on me (Cristalle EDT, Heeley Chypre 21, Mitsouko EDP, even Aromatics Elixr) and this is it. I don't feel like I'm wearing a loud 80s perfume. It feels modern, like it would complement a minimalistic wardrobe and just a dash of makeup.

Smucci
Smucci

Almost displaced Chanel 19 for me. It's as if Chanel 19 and Chanel 5 merged. Green with animalic dry down. I have all the concentrations of the vintage and they are all wonderful. Vintage EDP is hard to find though. It's definitely a big girl scent, for authoritative women with important jobs to do with other people counting on them.

juzme

On me, the edt is v similar to old SIKKIM extrait (the 60 ml cilinder,amber colour ,which sells at a high price).
Quite heavy,strong perfume ,even in edt .
Not for everyone.
Don't recall the edp.Will have to check again on it.
A beauty for the right personality.
Btw ,old edt and new one are same ,even if the colour or the sticker on the bottle does have some differences.
No idea how old mine are,but I have different colour and sticker bottles and they smell all the same.
Guess this brand won't compromise with quality ,nore will put their name to shame like some other guys do.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Scherrer

By Jean Louis Scherrer

Aldehydes Green Notes Violet Cassia Hyacinth

Carnation Tuberose Gardenia Orris Root Jasmine Rose

Sandalwood Amber Musk Civet Oak Moss Vanilla Vetiver Cedar

This fragrance is a definite 1970's green is good scent. It evokes those natural earthy tones, avocado green, orange, and floral print dresses from the era. Released in 1979, it seems to evoke a classic chypre and to my nose this would be Pierre Balmain's Vent Vert. This is a fresh and natural aroma of flowers and oak moss. It is old school and mature but I do know a good perfume when I smell one. This is lovely.

The opening is aldehydes and a violet-hyacinth pairing to die for. Immediately there is also a green note with the scent of shrubs and fall leaves. There's plenty of white flowers in it: gardenia, jasmine, tuberose and a carnation and rose that could also be white in color. It's a tad like soap and at the same time smells like room spray from the 70's. My mother said this reminds her of a spray she used to have back in her old home on Long Island. Scherrer is a sophisticated floral. It can smell comforting and soothing and it's perfect for spring and autumn.

The dry down is moss and vetiver on me, with little flashes of vanilla and musk. It's not unisex because of those aldehydes and flowers but it does have a potency and maturity that anyone of any gender or age can appreciate as a well made fragrance.

I'm loving it.

Eugirlsniffs
Eugirlsniffs

Another signature scent material! Absolutely amazing. Cool, green, fresh. Way better than Cristalle or Chanel 19. This is unique although reminds me of Cristalle a lot. I've recently discovered Scherrer and after finding Indian night truly fabulous, I needed to get this one too. Well, Scherrer does not disappoint. This is THE PERFECT scent for summer or spring.

Ferminadaza
Ferminadaza

Vintage bottle, EDT from the early 1980s purchased from a little ol' lady from Pasadena who only wore it to church on Sundays. ;-)

It's 1980. You're a beautiful woman in the kitchen of a beautiful house on a brisk early spring morning. Your lover is in the bedroom still soundly asleep. You met them last night and now you've woken early and your chopping greenery for an omelette. Your naked fresh from the shower. As you slice through a fresh bell pepper, a damp dew filled morning breeze moves through the open window causing you to shiver. You reach for the mink that you wore home from the disco last night (what happened to your dress?). The morning is young, you are beautiful and alive and desired and every possibility lies before you....If there's a cure for this, you don't want it.

Ice peppery green mist, warm sensual skin, french milled soap, lush animal fur, and the herbal clean yet musky scent of a 1970s shampoo. Oakmoss in full effect.

Longevity will take you through the entire 1980s and the sillage will wake your lover long before the french roast.

Not an absolute fave, but certainly would be considered niche quality in comparison to today's market.

Fonna2
Fonna2

Spritzed a little dab of this one at a friend's friend's bathroom.
Come on people,..... I know you do it, too. How could anyone resist a whole mirrorful of perfumes without testing at least one!!

I still smell this 12 hours later, and that's even after taking a shower. Sinks right into your skin.
Goes on very green, definitely a chypre, strong.... a true woman's perfume.
A definite astringent oak moss is in there.
I couldn't make out all the notes, otherwise I would be smelling my wrist throughout the evening, looking odd.

It goes on dirty, and dries down to none other than.....a sweet Dial soap. Not bad in my opinion.

I do like it, but I can see people loving this.

ellina1984
ellina1984

I have tested the recent edp formulation and here's my review:

The top notes are, for lack of a more fitting word, gorgeous. Green, ice cold, sharp. I smell galbanum and oakmoss right off the bat. This stage is very reminiscent of Chanel no. 19 edt, Estee Lauder Private Collection and Aliage - you get it.

As it warms, it starts to become soapy, like a luxurious green soap. Flowers whisper in the background - at this stage I get a hint (a hint, really) of rose and hyacinth. Nothing sweet. This is dry, slightly powdery even. By the time this has dried, the green notes have dissipated. Hyacinth dominates the drydown together with a very earthy orris root. The drydown bears and uncanny resemblance to the drydown of Chanel Cristalle edt.

Many mentioned Aromatics Elixir, and I have to admit AE did spring to mind at some point during testing this. But AE has a certain "vinegariness" to it. JLS is lacks that. Instead, it is smoother, especially as it progresses.

If you love green florals and chypres, be sure to try this. It is a scent that would make most young people frown, I think. But if you appreciate vintages, it would be a shame to miss out on this one.

TaleOfTheRose
TaleOfTheRose

Vintage edp review.

Some spring perfumes are delicate and romantic. Some leave you cold while some others give you a feel of melancholy. This is a joyous green perfume that celebrates new growth. Perfect for spring or any time you need a mood lifter.

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

Uau! Há tanta coisa de Jean-Louis Scherrer para mulheres para amar! Pergunto-me por que esta fragrância nunca se tornou popular aqui na América?

Detecto neste perfume muitas notas individuais que eu amo de outros perfumes clássicos: os Aldeídos assabonetados de Chanel No. 5, as Flores de L'air du Temps, o "verde" de Ma Griffe, e o dry down animalesco de Musgo de Cabochard. No entanto, tudo isso combina perfeitamente em uma composição elegante que é totalmente distinta dessas outras fragrâncias que listei.

A presença de sua durabilidade é incrível, também. Borrifei às 8:00 AM e já se passa mais do que 12 horas, e ainda continua forte. (Eu tenho o Eau de Parfum.)

Eu tenho três frascos de amostra de tamanho generoso para usar, mas este é definitivamente digno de uma garrafa, especialmente por estar disponível aqui nos EUA, e a preços excelentes!

Ele um grande like do marido também. Para mim isso não é um requisito para ter um perfume ou não, mas é bom quando encontro algo que ele tanto gosta. :-)

cecyben
cecyben

Absolutely unique, rich, woody, and dark fragrance: A treasure ! I love it ! Perfect for cold days and totally unisex. Excellent longevity and sillage !

miss honeysuckle
miss honeysuckle

Spring in a bottle!

This fresh green goodie reminds me of jolly bird chirp in february, greeting the morning sun and all blossom buds in the garden.

I enjoy!!

Pimpernell
Pimpernell

Amazing scent. At first I did not like it but decided not to wash it off. After an hour it developed in to one of the most wonderful, interesting fragrance I have tried in years. I am very happy to have the large bottle since this may become my new signature fragrance.

Hildegerd
Hildegerd

Adore it. Cold and green that gets heaten up by the skin and make a statement.

gazelle
gazelle

I've loved chypre fragrances since my young adult years when the oakmoss note was an unknown ingredient but an addictive attraction in perfumes. I happily discovered a bottle of Scherrer at a perfume counter, at of all places, a flea market. It was instant love. I want some, no MORE vintage backup bottles than I have years left in which to enjoy them. I have bottles of Mitsouko, Aromatics Elixir, Ivoire, Replique, Maroc, a dab of Coty CHYPRE 80's, Cristalle. What is an elderly Fragrantican to do? Use them up as fast as possible, right?

The green notes are not so green that I can smell flowers. But the oakmoss blooms with my chemistry. I can't stop sniffing the small cloud of scent that surrounds me. The price is so reasonable for vintage on ebay. So what if it is a beauty from the 80's. I'm vintage. I can only wish for more years while I swoon my way through what I have and what yet I might discover.

Thank you Fragrantica, only here can I express myself with those who understand my joy or giddiness. So glad I found you.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

A very beautiful unisex green aromatic perfume, very close to Aromatics Elixir to my view. I once wore it in the office when one of my colleagues asked who was wearing her favourite perfume which was AE. Not as strong as AE and clings better on clothes than on skin (mind you, I bought the EDT, and have ordered 2 EDP so I will be able to check the differences and post an update later).
Scherrer is the perfume to get noticed and to stand out of the Lady Millions-Mademoiselle-Pinky-Fruity vulgar synthetic high street types that smell cheap and of sweat after a few hours. Scherrer is nowhere to be found in the high street, only on the Internet, and wearing Scherrer means being proud of having lived in the late 70s when disco fever was at its peak. If you wear it you either are a middle-aged gay man like me, or a femme fatale like Joan Collins, Farah Fawcett or Debby Harry so in other words in your 60s but classy enough to look 50! It is also a beautiful reminiscent of those bomb blasts like AE and to a certain extend Giorgio Bervely Hills Yellow. Yes it's in your face but subtly not aggressively as if to say that oldies are goldies.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

One word: Perfection!!!!Signature Fragrance Material. I just can't imagine too many scents as interesting as this-meaning I could wear it to the point where I would easily burn thru my 1.7 oz. bottle. My better judgement told me I best buy two bottles-and I am so happy I did!!

The more I wear Scherrer, the more I want to wear Scherrer!! Only green scents seem to have the effect of both stimulating and relaxing my senses. Only they can revive for me those beautiful early memories of walking through the piney Massachusetts woods with my mother. She would connect landmarks on the trail of moss and pine cones to fascinating legends of witches, bears and Indian princesses who had quietly inhabited the land for ages. The smell of trees and weeds and moss, which I would encounter walking through fields and pine forests next to my home would weave through the fabric of these memories.

These is this crisp, plant sap accord that Scherrer shares with Patou's 1000. I simply lust after it. I am not sure what this beautiful aroma is, orris maybe?? I shall have to investigate and report my finding:))

Although I am simply crazy about Orientals and florals; nothing soothes my spirit and draws my memory like the ones that evoke where I came from and where I will one day return.

PDC
PDC

I've got JLS for quiet some time now and although I do like it, it's not a love because for me it's just a little too much in the green department. Recently I added a Fidji (Guy Laroche) to my collection and it immediately reminded me of JLS.

Today I wore them side by side, watching the listed notes as time passed by, it all fell into place. Fidji goes softer just a bit earlier than JLS does. JLS stays stronger on the greens where Fidji opens the door for soft spices which work very well with the Galbanum.

I don't get much flowers (from either of them - apart from hyacinth in the opening) so I'm pretty sure it will be brilliant on a summers day.

Sillage is good, others will get whiffs and longevity is excellent. I'm happy with both of them.

enigmaticessence
enigmaticessence

Having only smelled a new sample of this, I believe the vintage must be out of this world! I'm in love, only as I have been with few fragrances.

This is chypre to my nose. The smoke predominates over the greenness of a sunny spring day. On my skin it is somewhat a combination of Halston Halston Classic and Estee Lauder's Azuree Pure. I do not know why Halston comes to mind, but there is a verdant, oily, earthiness underneath the smoky veil.

When compared to some of my favorite classics with a similar theme, the notes are not too surprising. But somehow they cannot begin to evoke the overall aura. I struggle to find perfumes that stay earthy on my chemistry, but here greenness is secondary to the amazing warmth of aromatic, mysterious smoke.

Excellent sillage and lasting power. My only regret is that there isn't one more favorites bar on my personal page to add this as yet another mad contender for Signature.

Iris_it

I have just read the review below by Maodo and once again I realize how our perceptions of the same fragrance can be different .

I love the original formula of JLS ( it is in my top 5 fragrances ) but I cannot stand the development of Eau du Soir after the first couple of minutes , and in Summer it is not wearable ( Eau du Soir , 2012 bottle ) .

JLS is a tough green chypre whose elegance comes from another world and touches lightly the ground only when the resinous drop of sweetness appears in the drydown . I find Eau du Soir a bit trashy , compared with vintage JLS . My bottle of Eau du Soir was ( I swapped it ) quite recent and maybe its formula has been changed for the worse . What I'm sure of is that current reformulated Scherrer is not worth smelling anymore .
The vintage one is a must have for green sugar-free chypre lovers .

Maodo
Maodo

I recently got a vintage sample. JLS is georgious. I must say that the first stage of old fashioned soapy-ness is not my favorite. But the green, woody and mossy fragrance that show up do evoluate in a great way and do remind me of a forest. The drydown is fantastic if you love woody and mossy tunes.

JLS is a masterpiece. Very unique and outspoken. I don't know any perfume that smells like JLS. It's easy to say that it's classic, and it is, but it is more than that: I find it a timeless gem.

Edit: if you like JLS, try Eau du Soir from Sisley. A masterpiece as well, also mossy mossy mossy, but more floral.

amelie

I smell it on my wrist, timeless green aldehyde! Back in the 80s, it was a classy ladylike perfume with a wide aura. Complex and uncompromising... and as beautiful as it was. Not easy to wear, just a drop or two is enough.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I can easily tell you what this fragrance isn't: pink, fruity, powdery, grandma, flirty or sweet and girly. This perfume is serious, sexy, mysterious beyond belief and fascinating to me. I have a small vintage bottle of the perfume and have never smelled anything like it. It,s green but in the vein of a lush rain forest floor after the sun has set but it,s still warm and steamy. It's the least cloying of any perfume made in the last 30 years that I've ever smelled. I think a very small amount goes a long way. I put a small dab on each wrist so I can smell it during the day.
i also think it is without a gender. Definitely pne of the most interesting perumes being made.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Perfection, classy lasting chypre, vintage gem stone found accidently.Love it. Thanks for a great swap Barb.

Iris_it

Old version Jean Louis Scherrer has really been butchered by its reformulation . Do not even smell the current version because you would maybe lose interest in this green beauty .
I am very lucky as I was gifted the old version , make the difference , love it !

Lily2911
Lily2911

I am a big Chypre devotee, I have all the classics like Mitsouko, Chanel 19, YSL Rive Gauche, Paloma Picasso, Ivoire, Jolie Madame but Jean Louis Sherrer is the star. It is a special fragrance for me, It is the perfume I wore when I met my love of my life and he was litterarly smittered and completely hypnotised by this perfume. It symbolised the start of an amazing & unique love life and although I received many beautiful perfumes from him, he still talks about this perfume as epitome of beauty and class. Unfortunately, the actual versions are such a pale ressemblance of the glorious perfume of the 90's and it really breaks my heart that my 2 favourite chypres, Jean Louis and Mitsouko are completely "revamped" or "cloned" into some synthetic fragrances, all the depth and poetry is gone. I did some search on ebay today and it is even on ebay almost impossible to find the vintage version of Jean Louis, it is sad to see that such beauties are fading away and that the real passionate perfume lover as mysefl can only cherish some inforgettable souvenirs of one of the most fragrances ever, immortalised by memories which will not fade away, even if I feverishly try to find some substitutes, but such beauties cannot be substituted.

Jean Louis is a hidden jewel, no big perfume house is doing a massive commercial campaign, the bottle is always hidden somewhere on the shelf and most of the younger generation of sales people have difficulties to even know what it is, looking at you as if you are from Mars. I just bought a bottle, not to wear it on me because if feels like betrayal but just as a souvenir so that I can sniff it from time to time for just the sake of nostalgia.

Still hopeful that some genius can reproduce such pieces of arts again...

stormyla
stormyla

Back in the early 80's I had a friend whose mother and boyfriend always gave her the latest and greatest fragrance every year. Unbeknownst to them she graciously gifted me with any of the scents she disliked. This is how I became acquainted with JL Scherrer and also with JL Scherrer 2.

JLS was a fragrance of which I proudly and lovingly used 3 or 4 bottles. I loved that it was an obscure scent as I've always hated smelling like everyone else. This was indeed a magnificent chypre with a sharp edge. I received many compliments on it. It was a very long lasting scent, 10+ hours with a very nice sillage, but it was not a sillage monster.

It was a very green fragrance with beautiful floral accords. It was so different from the extremely popular orientals of the era and was quite memorable. This was definitely a dressy fragrance which I wore daily as I was usually always "dressed up" in that era. This is a fragrance for a confident person and could be overwhelming if used too generously.

I have no experience with any reformulations and can only attest that the vintage fragrance is a thing of rare beauty!

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

This review is for the vintage EdP (well, I suppose they are all vintage now), thanks to the very kind passionata :)

A proper, serious and substantial chypre in the old style. This is a formal fragrance, nothing in the least fruity, sweet or girlish about it.

Longevity is marvellous and it develops beautifully. At first there is green and a shy floral presence, but softly. Even here at the beginning though, the presence of the basenotes makes iteself felt. I think there is patchouli here, though it is not listed - but it has that "forest floor" effect, perhaps also pine as has been suggested.

I absolutely adore fragrances like these. It's hard to imagine anything so classy, rich and serious being made today.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

I have two small bottles of "vintage" Jean Louis Scherrer parfum, a short hexagonal one with round white knob-cap, and a tall hexagonal bottle with black screw cap. They are quite different in color, one being much deeper gold---almost brownish. They smell very similar overall, but with perhaps a bit more depth to the darker colored one; that one has a richer, stronger oakmoss component to it. I don't know if the lighter, less deep version was exposed to light/heat, perhaps, or is simply a later formulation. In either case, though, it's a fine perfume. It's a lovely chypre, sophisticated and earthy together. An initial scent of aldehydes and oakmoss mellows into a woody, green scent as the vetiver and iris root kicks in, along with a fairly delicate floral melange. The oakmoss continues present throughout, becoming richer. I notice first a hyacinth, but as time passes more of a white flowers note comes into play. Rose doesn't register to me, unless it's as a subtle underlining of the jasmine-tuberose notes. Wait a little longer, and a fine cedar is evident along with sandalwood. Finally, a restrained civet and/or a soupcon of musk can be detected as the base notes really get humming. In the darker, presumably older, version, these notes are more harmoniously enfolded into the oakmoss and floral and vetiver; there is a slight brashness to the animal notes in the lighter version. I still like that version, but it definitely has a thinner, more astringent quality than the darker incarnation.

Sillage is moderate, at least as dabbed on; might be better if sprayed. It lasts quite well, though. (Again, the darker variant seems more enduring.)

Overall, a really beautiful scent that reminds me of diamonds scattered across a polished mahogany table. Full-bottle worthy, and wearable at any time or occasion. A fine chypre that harks back to the glory days of that category.

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

I got a mini edp and a bottle of edt. This is probably one of the most fantastic additions to my perfume wardrobe. Absolutely stunning green chypre, cool, not bitchy but classic and elegant. I am loving it and it's going to be my signature during the spring.

calyx93
calyx93

Scored a small flacon of the vintage extrait in a lot of other perfumes for about $20. Wow - what a beautiful, green, fresh chypre. It reminds me very much of vintage Irisia by Creed and opens similarly with a very natural hyacinth, aldehyde and orris underscored by a gentle breeze of white florals - the oakmoss apparent from the start. Is smells very natural - nothing synthetic about this - the white florals in the heart and the drydown with carnations, civet, sandalwood, vetiver and musk is so smooth and seamless - the green freshness stays with it until the end.

Will certainly be seeking out more of the extrait for sure!

trisha33
trisha33

I started wearing JLS before it hit the popular market. I remember going into a small perfume store with my best friend, who knew what she wanted, and asking the owner what fragrances were new. He told me that Scherrer by Jean Louis Scherrer was so new that it hadn't even hit the market yet. He had a sample and let me try it. I bought a bottle and have never worn any other fragrance since. I am not someone who fishes for compliments; if I'm happy with something, that's what matters to me. But I can tell you that I am complimented on JLS just about every time I wear it. My only complaint it that it seems to be making a comeback because the price has skyrocketed! I used to be able to buy it for $38.00!!! And that wasn't so many years ago! But I love it enough that when my current bottle (3.3 oz EDT) is close to empty, I'll shop for the best price and buy it again. LOVE MY SCHERRER!

TillyWave

Jean-Louis Scherrer is basically the child born of Aromatics Elixir and Aliage, with the emphasis on fresh green notes, earthy soil, moss, and forest air. Dark, dense, bitter, but sweet like crushed leaves in autumn. Beautiful, natural, earthy, they don't make 'em like this anymore.
(Vintage EDT bottle.)

soonflower
soonflower

I own an EDT bottle and it has great lasting power on my skin. Generally I see that all chypre fragrances (those who have oakmoss, civet, cedar and vetiver) stick to my skin and I can fell them all day long.
This one isn't an exeption.
It's very green, don't get any sweet notes.
I like it the most after an hour or so...it's absolutely divine then - warm and animal-mossy.
Does remind me Cabochard EDP drydown a lot.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

This is perfume on a mission. I'm not exactly sure why that phrase keeps coming to mind, but seems to fit. This is one I can sniff and huff and sniff and "ahhhh" each time. It lost the sillage after about 4 hours, which is standard for me, but it did linger as skin scent. I have the edt, may have to find some edp... Very herbal, the cedar keeps it from feeling really "green" to me. It reminds me of vintage Herbalessence actually.

judyk
judyk

The bad news is that the top notes in my recently acquired edp mini have spoiled, making wrist sniffing a definite no-no for about the first two hours.

The good news is that the middle notes are still sound and the sillage is excellent, casting captivating wafts of elegant, almost arrogant, bitter green florals. Once the offending top notes have evaporated away the wrist scent is a fresh, citrusy green with sweet amber.

Even with the limitations of my sample it's still a stunning fragrance and I may have to splash out on a new, fresh bottle.

ETA 18Sep12: I have another mini - the top notes are again a bit iffy but not as bad as the first one. Still an amazing perfume.

Ouch!
Ouch!

oooh gosh, another one that's not for me. The right person? Yes...but me? no. I have recently tried Nikki De Saint Phalle and this is pretty similar to me. A massive classic feeling. The oakmoss and green notes are huge here and this just really isn't my taste. I'm so grateful to the person that sent me it to try though JB78. I am on a mission to find a mystery perfume that was very green smelling.

This unfortuntely isn't it either. :(

This turns quite sharp after a while on me which is also a sign that it's not for me.

I find perfumes like this really hard to describe as my nose isn't used to them. They take me back in time to the 80's in a whirlwind of scent.

Other people will appreciate this more but this just isn't my style.

amelie

That is classy! Was always elegant, refined, for a lady. Aldehydes are powerful. Smells expensive. All the notes are well balanced and form a perfect whole, nothing stands out. Scherrer is a good house, can't do anything bad, they simply know how to make a good perfume. Yet it's difficult to get it.
It is hard to compare Scherrer with perfumes that are made today. A masterpiece.

artsyrn
artsyrn

I like this, but it is not me. For the Chypre and green catagory , it doesn't scream headache like most do....and this is one to appreciate as sophisticated expensive smelling... my tastes in fragrance run a bit softer, sweeter, more powdery. Wearing this makes me feel like I'm playing dress up in a pencil skirt and sky high heels. Not a bad thing.

id
id

aldehydes, oakmoss and vetiver. Green, woody, soapy and I like such composition a lot. Perfect for lovers of such kind of perfume. It is totally chypre (but there is no sharpness which makes me dislike some fragrances) on my skin, not floral. Highly recommended for everyone at least to test.

jtd
jtd

(I have the edp)

Some very strong scents suggest wearing with restraint if not caution. Not Scherrer. This is the kind of heavy, bruiser of a green chypre that I just want to drench myself in. It is powerful and unashamed and urges me be likewise.

Sometimes my mind remembers Scherrer as almost pure oakmoss. But then I put it on again and the galbanum jumps up in front of me and the floral heart just shouts at me. This baby is loud but beautifully blended, with bitter fruity tartness (bergamot, mandarin?) and dark, spicy dry florals.

Scherrer is that uncommon, but thrilling reminder that seduction doesn’t always take place sotto voce, or catch you against your better judgement. Scherrer calls to you with full-throated come-ons and wants you to feel the enticement. Scherrer is more pick-up than courtship, more tryst than date.

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

A stunning early 80's Chypre/white floral and at a time when perfume had backbone, a rich heady cocktail of galbanum, oakmoss, hyacinth, violette, jasmine & orris. The pure parfum was incredibly beautiful, a deep gold & emerald hued juice with similarities to the original formulation of Chanel 19. The amalgam of the dark green notes, orris and indolic white jasmine/tuberose/gardenia resulted in a rare, almost metallic edge to the crisp verdant dry down. This effect can be experienced in other now discontinued classic perfumes such as Paco Rabanne's 'Calandre' & 'Metal' including the original 'Ma Griffe' by Carven. Sadly Jean Louis Scherrer is just one of many now lost to the ether never to pass this way again, I imagine many factors come into play with these discontinued greats, between IFRA regulations and the ever increasing cost of raw materials the chances for re-formulation are sadly very slim ! My very first acquisition of JLS was 1 fluid ounce in pure parfum, OH, how I coveted that flacon of brassy green and gold juice for so many years while alternating with the edt. & my other great love Rive Gauche, but that's another story :)
Those were the good ol' days my friends!

passionata20
passionata20

Let me start by saying that i do not like green perfumes. But if every chypre would smell like this one i wouldn´t mind to wear them at all.
It is very intense and woody-green fragrance that is for a classy lady. Firt outburst can scare you off, like it did happen with me, but then i began enjoying it. When the first reaction to "skankiness" is gone in minutes the flowers are beautiful. Then the woody drydown comes at the end and it is bewitching.
It reminded me of "Mystere" by Rochas, but this one is much more better to me, more feminine. It also has some similarities with Clinique´s "Aromatics elixir" but waaay more better and softer i think. At least i can wear this one and "elixir" just turns me completly off.
I have tried the EDT version and i can clearly imagine that the EDP or pure perfume would be much better and softer.
Classic in one word.

isabel1
isabel1

Can anyone tell me who makes this clearly reformulated version of JLS? I have worn it for 20 years and was disappointed beyond words when I realised that i could no longer get it. Now I find that I can - on E-Bay, via Kuwait, but the scent is not quite the same. It's very pleasant but not unforgettable in the way that it was. If Scherrer Parfums is still in operation, who runs it - I thought that Scherrer had closed down in 2009. Any information about this greatly appreciated, thanks.

Kterhark
Kterhark

You can’t sniff JLS without getting slapped in the face by the 80s glory note. My mind took it a step further and added a soundtrack: the Dallas theme song, season 3. JLS shouldn’t be introduced without it; this is Sue Ellen’s signature scent, no questions asked.

But my, what a big girl scent this is. My version is vintage, but I’m not sure of the year. I immediately detected the green notes (hyacinth), and a luscious, full bosomed base. I can’t imagine wearing this scent for fun. This must be worn with a purpose. Preferably one that comes with high heels, a short skirt, a tight fitting top and a top shelf martini. I will be setting this sample aside for those nights when I’m heading to the City for cocktails and a show. It’s just loud enough to get you noticed, and just refined enough to keep the other patrons guessing what you’re up to.

Good stuff, but like the show, the earlier versions are better.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Thanks to kittykati, I have a generous sample of this perfume. I am immediately struck by the white flowers. There is a powdery-ness to it, similar to other classic aldehydes -- but not as dry, much "brighter". It does remind me of a lovely bar of soap -- maybe goat's milk soap. I'm not getting green on my skin -- just long-lasting florals. And (I know I shouldn't read reviews before I do my own, but...) Calyx is spot on: yes, there is something Aromatics Elixir about it, but quieter.

Strong -- a little dab'll do ya!

floriana
floriana

Verry sharp, green and prickly opening.
Latter, could smell chypre accords, but just a little.
Unusual combination of flowers, I would say tuberose and gardenia on a green way, mixed with cedar and oakmoss.
Glamorous and memorable.
Striking, for person with interest personality.

Cereza
Cereza

This is a MUST for classy woman. Very, very nice. Opens soapy and little bit sharp (do soap tend to be sharp?). Settles down to a wonderful florar, with great silage and at the drydown the civet hits so seductive and animalistic. I don't think that I could wear this perfume in public, but it's on my list to gift mom, it could be a perfect one for such a strong, mature woman.

guest_Miss Delicious
guest_Miss Delicious

One word: REFINED

michelle goldsmith1
michelle goldsmith1

I have been personally wearing this one for about a year now and it always gets noticed in a nice way. I used to wear it when I was much younger and it always got the same reaction.Hard to get in this Aus but well worth the search.

I do not see the pine note here, but it is in here for sure! GREAT perfume!

Yamba1
Yamba1

I first tried this wonderful fragrance as a sample in Singapore in 1981. I was enroute to Sri Lanka and wore this complex and intoxiating fragrance during the trip. JLS was the perfect scent to wear whilst sipping coktails on a balmy evening. Since then, I have never been without this manificent perfume, and I know I will always receive compliments each time I wear it. Great sillage and lasting power around 6-8hrs. Hard to find in Australia so you can be assured this will attract attention. Although first worn as a late teen, this perfume will grow with you. Definitely a must have!

imoore
imoore

I personally prefer this perfume to the Scherrer II.
A bit soapy drydown, and very fress.
For summer it is a great choice for over 35. I wish I discoverd it before I purchased Donna Trussardi, since goes much better with my skintype.

Alguien me puede informar donde adquirir el agua de perfume de Jean Louis Scherrer, ya que me dicen que la han retirado aquí en Barcelona.

Yesterday I finally received my big bottle of this!!!
Heaven on earth!!

One of the nicest green fragrances ever made in my opinion.

Flora55
Flora55

I love this one madly - it's my favorite green Chypre of all time and I have adored it for many years. I just found a bottle of the vintage EDT in excellent condition, and it still makes me swoon! It is equally suitable for very grown-up ladies and femmes fatale - and even better if you happen to be both! :-)

An old style aldehydic black tie with fruit components. Nice, but a little too fruity for my taste and more formal than I usually go for.

CaraMia
CaraMia

I have the older version which is full of oakmoss and a bottle of the tree moss newer version.

Both bottles are green lush and lovely, but the vintage stuff is breathtakingly beautiful (heartbreakingly if you are a big oakmoss fan and rue the new trend toward less moss). It is a work of art, a rare jewel and a tribute to women, a lioness of a scent.

The new version is not nearly as predatory but is still a gorgeous green floral.

Enchant
Enchant

I don't think my nose is as good as other people's, but I'll review it anyway lol. I did a review yesterday on Fleur de Rocaille saying it smelled a little like Downy Fabric Softener. My husband agreed, so I guess it wasn't just me.

Anyway, this one reminds me of Irish Spring soap scent. I didn't want to write this, but this is what I think of when I smell it. I love it though, and I'm happy I found it thanks to this site.

Ivoire
Ivoire

One of my absolute favourites (I wouldn't want to live in a world where this - and my other favourite fragrances - didn't exist). It's pure joy: the happy laughter of a dynamic, urban, very pretty young woman whose life is full of warmth and success. (Obviously, this is a highly personal impression - but then, perfume is all about personal impressions.;))

I think it's one of the greatest UNDERRATED fragrances of all times,

Well, ladies... so much the better for us who do know it and love it! ;)

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Wow! There is so much to love in Jean-Louis Scherrer for Women! I wonder why this fragrance never became popular here in America?

I detect in this scent many individual notes I love from other classic perfumes: the soapy aldehydes of Chanel No. 5, the flowers of L'air du Temps, the "green" of Ma Griffe, the animal-moss drydown of Cabochard. Yet it all blends beautifully into an elegant composition that is totally distinct from those other fragrances I just listed.

The persistence on this one is amazing, too. I dabbed some on at 8:00 AM and it is more than 12 hours later, still going strong. (I have the Eau de Parfum.)

I have three generous-sized sample vials to use up, but this one is definitely full-bottle-worthy, especially since it is available here in the US at great prices!

Got a big thumbs-up from the Husband as well. That's not a requirement for me to like a perfume or not, but it's nice when I can find something we both enjoy. :-)

Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn

I own EDP and love it! It is amazingly long lasting. Those green notes make it suitable for any time of the year. I should add that this is the only fragrance I own which was complemented by a stranger.