Designers » I-K » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Lime Basil & Mandarin Jo Malone London for women and men
dislike

I have it: 561 I had it: 173 I want it: 227 My signature: 14

herbal
Lime Basil & Mandarin Jo Malone London for women and men Pictures Lime Basil & Mandarin Jo Malone London for women and men Pictures Lime Basil & Mandarin Jo Malone London for women and men Pictures

Lime Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone London is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Lime Basil & Mandarin was launched in 1999. The nose behind this fragrance is Jo Malone. Top notes are lime, mandarin orange and bergamot; middle notes are basil, lilac, iris and thyme; base notes are patchouli and vetiver.

Lime Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Nouveau Bowery

Lime Basil & Mandarin Fragrance Reviews

tatonnement
tatonnement

Another JM scent that disagrees with me. This, to my nose is really, really bad. Dirty, cheap, old man cologne bought at the dollarstore bad. I was hoping this would be unisex and realistic but unfortunately, it is very spicy and stale smelling. But most importantly, cheap, synthetic and sour.

Not sure if I got a bad sample or what, but I cannot stand it and I love the scent of lime, basil and mandarin. When I cut into a lime, I feel like I can bathe in the scent. But this has no fresh lime. More like $1 lime bathroom cleaner mixed with stanky sweat (which might the basil interpretation for basil does sort of smell stanky). Might be better on someone else.

Michelle12345678
Michelle12345678

I don't know what to think about this. I love citrus, and the citrus-basil combination here is gorgeous. I hate patchouli, but this scent has a subtle, pleasant patchouli undertone. One of the few perfumes with patchouli I like.

What people are saying when they compare it to a mojito or a vodka tonic is accurate.

And I can understand also the people who say negative things like 'It smells like cleaner.' So this is a conundrum.

It's definitely not girly, but a woman can wear this. Or a man.

It has a good breathe-down.

I just don't know. I like it, I'm just not sure if I love it. Rak hates it.

laurniko
laurniko

My sister in law gave this to me at Christmas bc she tried it and said it smelled like a "dirty sweaty old man", to which I said "lay it on me" because I LOVE dirty, stinky patchouli/musky/manly hippie fragrances. It's pretty strong out of the bottle but I REALLY love it. This is totally unisex, and if I could get my husband to wear it - he doesn't wear cologne - I'd probably never let him leave the house because it's just pure sex. I find the name of this to be a misnomer - I don't smell basil, lime, OR mandarin. Just patchouli and a zingy, fresh and vaguely citrus smell. It's not overtly masculine or musty, but it does have a sharp, almost aftershave tang to it.Maybe the sharpness is the basil. I can't tell, but I LOVE IT! And I'm not sure what I'll do when this bottle is gone because it's a bit out of my price range so if anybody knows a similar scent that is more affordable I'd love to go buy it so I can make this last!

rakan1985

80% day / 20% night fragrance
citrus scent

ElleNell
ElleNell

The secret with this one is not to spray too much or else it will become very masculine and sickly. Def can be used as a unisex perfume for both men and women but in saying that I feel it is more popular amongst women. On the scent it's self all I can say is it's very classic, clean distinct scent. Sort of fresh out of the bath or shower type feel/scent. Personally I wouldn't really wear it for a romantic date I would wear it more so meeting friends for lunch or to work. I feel this would suit any women who likes a classic sense of style- effortless and miminalist.

Rawan_dashti
Rawan_dashti

i am not a huge fan of citrus scents, so when i first smelled this it was.. ok.. interesting.. but not me.
i prefer stronger scents with amber/oud/musk/sandalwood in them and some white florals. so naturally i bought a bottle of velvet rose and our also by jo malone and the sales assistant gave me a sample of this as it is their signature scent.
when i tried this a few times from the sample i started to appreciate this cologne. i like how my body warms up the Mandarin into something really nice and i agree that the basil makes this fragrance really interesting and not your average citrus.
i am getting a full bottle of this next. it would be amazing in the morning on its own or paired with something else.

Moh92
Moh92

Smells just like Tang Orange Drink Mix

GainsbourgFan
GainsbourgFan

Love the zest & zip of this one. The basil really shines through and makes this 'special', and by using lime instead of lemon or orange as the main citrus I feel it doesn't smell nearly as 'sweet' or candy like, which some citruses can be a bit more candy than true fruit or zest. It does remind me of a mixed drink, but not the kind with a little paper umbrella, more like a short drink with crushed basil, orange bitters, and a twist of lime.

This is brisk & almost bracing to me, perfect for summer days or evenings. In terms of citrus fragrances, this one has a bit more lasting power than the average -- I tend to be able to smell it on myself after about 3 or 4 hours without much change.

It doesn't transform at all, it just trails off in strength and intensity as the day goes on.

BWLee
BWLee

I don't know how my skin chemistry works with this one, but on my skin, it smells kinda like lamb broth. A big pass.

Of all the Jo Malone scents I have tried, Lime, Basil and Mandarin is definitely one of my favourites. Due to its freshness, I would only tend to wear this fragrance during Spring and Summer. It has a happy citrus vibe that instaneously boosts my mood.

This fragrance is all about the mandarin accord. If I were to crush the fruit in my hand and then inhale the juicy aromas, I imagine it would smell very much like this fragrance. I would like to layer Lime, Basil and Mandarin with a woods based scent one day to see what the result could be. This cologne could add a crisp and energizing aspect to a somewhat bland scent.

Like most Jo Malone fragrances, the longevity isn't all that great unfortunately. To continue feeling refreshed on a hot Summer's day you would need to have a top up handy in your handbag.

The drydown incorporates the subtlest hint of white florals, so not to detract from the fun and zesty citrus notes. Admittedly whilst Lime, Basil and Mandarin is fairly one dimensional, the lack of complexity doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I only wish Jo Malone didn't have one of the heftier price tags for colognes in our current market. I might love her fragrances, but the price compared to the overall longevity just doesn't add up for me.

ss_summer
ss_summer

Im really on the fence about this one. I don't think it'll ever be a favorite but there are aspects of it I dont mind. Funnily enough I can't really smell much of any of the lime, basil or mandarin. It smells a teeny bit citrusy but I definitely echo the other reviews saying it smells dry/dusty, thats really something I pick up and I don't like that aspect of it. But on the other edge of that dustiness, is almost like a chlorine type of smell? I don't know if thats just me but it ends up almost smelling like after I finished swimming at a pool and then spent the rest of the day outdoors. Which sounds like an amazing scent, but the dustiness just is strong enough to make it slightly too masculine and ruins what had the potential to be a really beautiful summer scent!

Renata tang
Renata tang

Received a 9 ml sample. Smells nice, maybe I will buy it, but it's not on my priority list.

Melted
Melted

I thought it was time I ventured into the world of Jo Malone and so I tried this out. Very strong and zesty to begin with but it soon calms down and the mandarin and basil come through.

Really pleased to have this in my collection. I can see why so many people say it leans towards masculine, which being a guy myself is obviously not a problem. Not the cheapest fragrance, but well worth checking out.

Casamir
Casamir

Beautiful - very much in the same vein as a typical eau de cologne.
For me mandarin takes the lead, with lime as backing vocals and lilac singing along in the audience.

Anacrusis
Anacrusis

Lime, Basil and Mandarin may just be the holy grail of unisex fragrances for men.

It smells like tradition in the best possible way.

It is so nice!

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Familiar, comfortable, clean and fresh. Leans masculine but not too much. Liking it in cooler weather rather than in the summer (surprisingly). Has a fresh confidence to it that knows what it wants. It's not wishy washy. Anyone can wear it, everyone should try it.

nordhaul
nordhaul

First Impression: Smells like a DUDE!

Maybe it has to be layered, or given a
bit of time to unfold? Will update L8R

A few minutes in... smells FRESH, &
I am definitely experiencing the depth
in this as described by other reviewers.
Getting to love this one. sO fresh zesty
yet strangely wearable. As extremely
fresh and zesty as it is it doesn't reach
that point of being aQuatic. ...Peace..

A half hour in or so. Smells fantastic.
I hate aQuatic perfumes because to
me they smell cheap, and remind me
of someone who swims at a chlorine
infested swimming pool at the YMCA.
Cheap and TRYING to be all oceany
but comes across as that off-putting
imagery I just illustrated for you there.

Not this. Has all the benefits as if it
were an aquatic perfume but due to
the warmth and depth has a classy
aspect to it. Who knew that fresh zesty
perfumes can be worn by fashionistic
types and not be underwhelmed by it?
Can be unisex I guess but dudes don't
need expensive perfumes, Old Spice
across the board, I say. ...Peace...

walking44
walking44

Now this is the type of citrus I do like. A very natural, dry, dusty, lime. I agree with the reviewer below; it does have a warmth too it. Its hot but not from cinnamon. Must be the patchouli. This smells like a lime baking in the sun on a bed of patch.

Crystals On My Converse
Crystals On My Converse

I got a small 1.5ml sample of this when I purchased another cologne and I have to say I do quite like it. It's zesty and fresh but warm and deep at the same time. The citrusy notes definitely hit me first. It did go a little masculine on my skin but I kinda like that :)

chanelnumerocinq
chanelnumerocinq

No matter how hard I try to focus on how fresh this fragrance is, or how stunningly natural the notes smell- all I smell is a really delicious taco. I wish I was kidding. The basil smells like pico de gallo. The vetiver smells of grainy texture that reminds me of tortillas. And who doesn’t like lime on their tacos? It’s fresh, long-lasting, and well-made but I find it unwearable. It gives me the giggles.

Piscean-Blue
Piscean-Blue

Very, very nice. But not for the hundred buck plus price tag. There are far batter selections you can buy for that kind of money. It is a very refreshing scent though! And I must admit, it does last.

cbluestar27
cbluestar27

I love Jo Malone - and I love this smell. But, it turns masculine on my skin. My daughter even said I smelled like my grandfather the last time I wore it. I gave it to my 18 year old son and he rocks it.

Oudy
Oudy

Brilliant, bright and medicinal...but also dry and dusty... Their is something addictive about this perfume. Mouthwatering almost. It's hard to put my finger on. I bought it for my fiancé, but find myself spraying it on my chest before bed oftentimes. It has a meditative quality to it. I don't care for most of Jo Malones fragrances. I mean they are ok, but for the price you pay, one would expect a bit of wow. This one is wow for me. I'm smelling it as I write this....it seems so familiar...like a snatch of pop song that goes around and around in your head until you think your going to go mad with it...

Scent...9/10 for me...it has that undefinable "something" that for me is loads better than individual notes.
Projection...5/10...quite mild, perfect for bedtime or summer lawn parties. The smell mixes well with fruit salad and a mojito
Fortitude...6/10...to bad it isn't a bit more dense

To my nose it's one of a kind...highly recommended

Whit
Whit

Special thanks to dannysmom for the sample! :)

I honestly didn't think I would like this. The notes aren't ones I usually go gaga over, but it works in this one. Refreshing, herbal and masculine. I don't know how Jo Malone makes all these combos work, but she does! On my skin, the lime is very noticeable followed closely by the basil, much like it is in the perfume pyramid. I don't get much mandarin at all, but I do get nuances of bergamot intermingled with the lime and basil. This one is strangely addictive, I must say! If you like herbal perfumes/colognes, so give this one a try. I will say it does have a bit of an aftershave quality about it, but I think that's what keeps me sniffing it. I'll have to edit later for longevity and sillage.

Btw, I'm a HUGE an of JM's Amber & Lavender if that gives any frame of reference.

Housebliss
Housebliss

I think the reason for this one getting so many dislikes from women (based on voting here) is because it's stated to be unisex, but it smells more like a traditional cologne for men. You can see that in the comment section as well.

I also think that many of the women who dislike this were more disappointed in it being so masculine rather than not liking how it smells. I might be wrong though.

I really like it. It does smell like lime, basil and mandarine and the notes work really well together. It lasts over 12 hours on my skin. Sillage seems to be soft/moderate. I'd like to add that after several hours it actually ends up smelling like a sweet vetiver reminiscent of Guerlain Vetiver.

Clean, fresh and manly.

jrhmakeupartistry
jrhmakeupartistry

OMG.... I love this creation. Like it or not, there is just such an honesty about the notes of this cologne: Nothing uncomplicated, fresh and juicy with a lovely lush green flow to it. It's one of those colognes that you either like or you just don't. I'd bathe in this stuff if I could. Whenever I wear it, my husband always sneaks up behind me and bites me because he says it smells so darn edible on me, and I'm okay with that. :)

Scentmad
Scentmad

Bright, sweet, herbaceous and citrus. This is a fragrance I resisted for a while as it seemed to be a little popular and I didn't want to smell "generic". I know, precious much!

Anyway, I succumbed after I fell in love with a small sample - on my skin it starts out with a refreshing blast of sweet lime and then the basil and mandarin surface - this is followed by a lovely light musky note that rounds the whole perfume to perfection.

It's absolutely gorgeous all year round (IMHO) although it sings at it's (rather wonderful) best on hot days.

Great silage and good staying power for a JM. Love it!

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

The opening of Lime Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone reminded me a bit of L’homme de Grès; that similar sort of really pungent, decidedly “virile”, kind of old-school and really bitter lime-green note supported by a woody, somber, almost chypre (in a really subtle way) base. At first the mandarin is not really there and neither is basil to my nose, but in a matter of minutes the bitter and fresh “head of the head notes” vanishes off and the fragrance starts to warm on skin – at that point you surely get a slightly sweeter, more aromatic-floral blend which seems comprising also something like neroli. Still no basil to my nose, weirdly enough I get thyme and sage more clearly; overall, basically a sort of aromatic green fougère centered on lime-orange with a subtle and to me, quite masculine woody-herbal-musky base smelling quite dark, slightly waxy and also slightly camphorous. And kind of “humid” too.

Also, I think I clearly get here the sort of aftershave vibe I get from many British fragrances based on classic structures (like those countless “West Indian Limes” colognes by Truefitt & Hill, Taylors of Old Bond Street and similar “gentleman’s grooming” brands) – although it may be just pure suggestion. Surely anyway something way less fresh than one may assume by reading the name. Overall, in my opinion Lime Basil & Mandarin isn’t bad at all, almost quite good actually; the only negative thing for me is that I get a whiff of something annoyingly and persistently synthetic that somehow “ruins the magic”. For me, citrus-green scents – more than others – need to be as much natural as possible to smell pleasant, fulfilling and compelling, to avoid smelling like floor detergents or cheap soaps. This doesn’t really make it for me, at least not entirely; it smells decently good, but I feel it would have been way better if part of the efforts was also financial - I mean in raising the budget and picking better materials. Still quite nice overall, just don’t expect something neither fresh nor particularly solid or refined.

6,5/10

sukanya.oa
sukanya.oa

First time,i wear it. I smell fresh and bitter in the top note.after that this fragrance was surround about me.

charleybea
charleybea

Certainly not the typical fragrances I'm drawn to, but it's really unique. It is more on the masculine side, but still suitable for women. I wear this a lot in the winter months.

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

Like flecks of basil scented with orange essence oil. I can almost imagine it sprinkled on top of cod fillets to make a good summer evening dinner on the patio.

Not an unpleasant scent and probably works great with seafood but I personally would choose Guerlain's AA mandarine basilic if I want to smell basil.

lexi.malevolent
lexi.malevolent

I love the combination of basil and mandarin. I thought it sounded terrible when I first heard of it, but after smelling a scented candle of a friend's, I'm in love. It was the first Jo Malone scent I tried, and I think the lime adds a nice layer to it. I'm not really a great fan of citrus, so I think basil is a great scent to pair with it.

Hellokt
Hellokt

too manly and basil herby
i smell like a dusty goat in the bushes....baaaahhhh!

stacey_nay
stacey_nay

I'm totally in love with this perfume. It reminds me of being by the seaside in a Mediterranean (not tropical) location, on a sunny but cool day. I get lots of super fresh lime, mandarin, and basil - but somehow it doesn't smell like a cocktail, but rather like a kitchen garden. It's not a listed note, but I also get delicious sea salt, as if the garden was at the edge of a sea cliff with the spray misting the air. I find the sillage is moderate and it is long-lasting on my skin. Love.

Medea12
Medea12

Jo Malone has quality fragrances made with a combination of natural and some synthetic oils. I support JM because of the use of natural oils in their line. This cologne smells dynamic and energetic to me and gives out a sense of power and elegance at the same time.

mml12321
mml12321

Come back to this year after year, just a wonderful crisp scent which alway wakes me up.

julso22
julso22

lovely citrus! i can see why this is the known fragrance of jo malone
smells light and fresh - a wonderful spring/summer scent that lasts all day
people usually ask me what im wearing when i wear this- and i almost dont want to tell them :P

sofiebgoode
sofiebgoode

beautiful and magic in hot weather. it keeps spinning around and showing you its different facets.

layer-magic: LBM goes extremely well with Chloé EDP

Arkira M.
Arkira M.

For me, this is citrus spicy masculine scent than unisex. If you are feminine but wanna try this one coz its name sound light, green & citrus, please go out to JML counter to test, dont blind buy or you will disappoint.

richdaniels
richdaniels

What I find interesting about this house, comparing Malone's Grapefruit to this Lime Basil & Mandarin, is that her nose expertly blends these frags with the pre-ripe green element still intact.

This is an interesting experience. Both of them are gentle and short-lived. But LBM sprayed on my shirt keeps its zesty Lime-Patchouli accords better, while contact to the skin opens the subtle florals.

The opening is sweet and green (though it's the yellow, undisturbed type of ripeness. A very natural and emerging scent; not a fully ripe, freshly-sliced lime or mandarin.

I expected to smell the juiciness and fruitiness of opening the inside citrus, but Malone's take captures the green zippiness you experience walking through the fruit trees and smelling their zesty rinds.

The smell is unisex, but I can't help but yearn for more thyme and patchouli to strengthen it up. This sits close to the body in the first ten minutes, but is an intriguing personal scent to enjoy by yourself. I can imagine wearing it for a walk through the historic parts of your city, or during a luxurious late lunch at a cafe.

SILLAGE: 1/5 weak, but your own nose will pick it up for 3-4 hours

UNIQUENESS: 2/5 Light citrus, floral accords without being overtly feminine: nice work

DESIGN: 3/5 simple, elegant.

PRICE: 3/5 (Medium/High Price for the product) The very intimate, light projection is not made to impress but to gave the wearer a lasting lime/bergamot companion.

VERSATILITY: 1/5 Twenty/Thirty-something's will likely get bored with this, but an intelligent person in their late-Thirties or Forties will wear this as a subtle statement of elegance. It's so weak, I'd only wear it at home or at the farmer's market.

PRO: Natural ingredients for a natural, light zesty experience.

CONS: Weak sillage, not the sweet juicy frag I expected, and the medium/higher retail price (but you can find it on eBay).

It is a high-quality frag, but I don't recommended it for people in their twenties.

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I really disliked this-on me it smelled like a a sour, slightly rancid old man, or synthetic room deodoriser sprayed to cover up bad BO and cat pee. I didn't get lime or mandarin, it was all herby and bitter to my nose and masculine without a hint of sweetness. I love how this smells on others but on me it reacted badly with my chemistry.

a very nice, uplifting scent, good for summer and good for men, too. In spite of being a Woody-floral type, I enjoy some very citrus&herbal cologne sometimes. This one from Jo Malone is very beautiful in the opening. It smells natural like pure plants, a little bitter, just right to wake up you head without being damn bracing. Not a sport cologne at all!
Not strong on mamdarine, lime and herbs are dominant.
Unfortunately it becomes a little musty and synthetical on my skin after a while. For that fresh summery effect (without the lime) I go for Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic, sweeter.

antfarm
antfarm

I tried this in the body cream. I must say--the Jo Malone body creams are more heavily scented than the colognes!

Unfortunately, I didn't find this scent wearable. It smells like Barbasol shaving cream, so I will probably give the sample to my boyfriend.

It's not a bad smell, just not as unisex, fresh, herbal, uplifting, and citrussy as I had imagined. It is heavily spicy, fougere-ish, and completely masculine. It reminds me of a solemn barber shop full of men with handlebar moustaches.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This is a very pleasant scent; fresh, clean, and citrusy. I could see it being refreshing in the summer especially. In some ways it reminds me of a vodka and tonic with a slice of lime! It's sweet but not overly so, not too sharp, not candied. The basil grounds the fragrance. It's not overly special; you probably won't be stopped on the street by people dying to know what you're wearing, but it is certainly very nice. It's very kitchen-y.

Gedvile

This is my signature scent, my love at first sight/sniff. I once smelled it on a very stylish man in London, and it smelled great too. I'm surprised by all the negative reviews, but happy at the same time knowing I won't smell it on every corner.

Shenandoah
Shenandoah

I love citrus, and I love basil, so this one should have been a home run for me. Instead, it is pure bathroom cleaner from start to finish. I've tried it several times over the years, and each time, I find myself desperately trying to scrub it off inside of the first hour.

raw umber
raw umber

I have owned about 20 samples of Lime Basil and Mandarine over the years, but for some reason, never decided to own a fb. It always seemed to have its wires crossed. I liked it well enough, but found it to be extremely aggressive, and I never seemed to be able to get a clear read on it. Now that I know there's a hefty helping of patchouli weighing in against the sharpness of the lime, it all makes sense! Sherapop's analysis was spot on.

If you think of this one as a lime-patchouli scent, it is quite wonderful, and unquestionably unisex. Longevity is average, projection is great,and it is very memorable. Never smelled anything like it before, and would make a great signature any time of year.

Edit 4/15:
I ended up buying a small bottle of it when I ran out of my samples because I missed its unique scent. It's very brisk and refreshing for spring, while maintaining a depth that lasts due to patchouli, vetiver, iris, and lime peel. Beautiful.

meow1900
meow1900

This smells like an old man. I don't smell the mandarin at all. It smells kinda sour to me and a bit like old spice. Yuck!

Englishrose77
Englishrose77

I love Jo Malone scents, and wear several myself (Red Roses, Verbenas of Provence, English Pear & Freesia, Wild Bluebell, and Grapefruit ).So it was natural that I would try Lime Basil and Mandarin , which, like Grapefruit, is labeled "unisex". It's a wonderful scent, but definitely too masculine and strong for me. I love it, though, -especially on the RIGHT man. Great scent.:)

dmaw
dmaw

Very similar to Lancome Aroma Tonic. Very citrusy. It does stay with you. Go easy.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Sounded like an interesting composition and I wanted to try it out.
Fresh crisp citrus and herbs on a tester strip. Once I apply it to my skin, it changes for worse. It becomes overly perfumey and synthetic, and something here smells on the cheap side. Not the first case of trying citrus and herbal Jo Malone scents, and each time I find it poorly done. It's nauseating with time.
I like herbal scents but this one failed me.

The opening of Jo Malone Lime, Basil & Mandarin smacks unmistakeably of Gandini Lime and Basil, and also reminds me a bit of Bond no 9 Central Park. A very bright, sharp, strong lime-green experience is yours in the first minutes. What happens next is a progression to a drydown incredibly similar to Bond no 9 Nouveau Bowery, which features a big blast of patchouli along with lily. In this Jo Malone creation, the florals appear to be different (lilac and iris), but the effect is very similar.

Credit for having first hit upon this unique combination of scents appears to go to Jo Malone, since Lime, Basil & Mandarin was launched way back in 1991! It smells very nice to me, and my only quibble is with the name, since the mandarin is really not at all detectable to my nose amidst all of the strong greens and lime and patchouli and flowers. I'd have called this appealing fragrance Lime, Basil & Patchouli, but even that would leave out the complex vetiver-floral facet of this pleasing composition. The longevity better than usual for a Jo Malone cologne, but not as good as that of Nouveau Bowery, which is a serious patchouli powerhouse.

christianne1
christianne1

I have a love/hate relationship with Lime, Basil and Mandarin. It was love at first sniff. I wore it all the time. I frolicked, I was happy, I was in love. I ran up to everyone I met, proud to introduce them to the new love in my life. Then like any old married couple, one day I got a whiff and realized I just couldn't stomach it any more. (Thank goodness I didn't have to watch it chew.) So, off to the Ebay box it went.

Then when the time came to list my old friend, I gave it one last sniff goodbye then I was like...wait a minute! I still like you! I was not ready to let go. I wanted to give it another try.

So, we danced and snuggled a few more times....then back to the box he went. No matter what I do, he starts getting on my nerves and I just feel we should part ways. It just wasn't meant to be.

A fellow friend and perfume lover said she had been wanting to try some Jo Malone so I told her that I had one she could have. I went back to the box to retrieve my old faithful LBM and decided to take one more sniff for the road just to make sure I had made the right decision.

And yet again, I couldn't do it.

What is this? We do not even have children together. Not even a shared bank account to have to split 50/50. LBM does not pay for my health insurance or help pad my retirement account. It just sits there. Doing nothing. It rarely goes anywhere with me and when it does it kinda gets on my nerves and I wish it had stayed home. But for some reason, God bless it....I still love it.

Lime, Basil and Mandarin, I have come to the conclusion that it may be a roller coaster with you and you may never be the ONE...but I am happy to be stuck with you.

Just lovely!
Summery, light, citrusy.
The Lime and mardarin hits you first then as it matures on my skin I get a slightly earthy but refreshing note from the basil and a fresh zesty aftertouch.
Amazing!

Angelinapink
Angelinapink

It is unusually hot here in England at the moment, and I wanted a perfume to cool and refresh. What better than Lime Basil Mandarin. Fresh-yes. Cooling-yes.
The perfect easy to wear perfume for a hot summer's day. Ok I know the sillage isn't great, but I am not looking for something to overpower. Today I don't want to make a statement, I just want to be refreshed.
I don't wear it often, but there are times when it just seems like the right choice.
The first spritz is of a hit of lime, like a fabulous fresh mojito. So uplifting! So clean! So fresh!
It is true that men or women can wear this fragrance, it works equally well for both sexes.
Why don't I wear it more often?
Because I have so many other perfumes that I love even more.
But sometimes, it just has to be LBM.

Roge'
Roge'

Story Time: I was walking through Wal-Mart and passed by this woman going in the opposite direction. Not realizing that she turned around while making a bee line towards me, I continue to stroll. Unbeknownst to me, she tried to get my attention verbally with a series of, "Excuse me, sir"! After realizing that i was indeed the target for the clamor, i slowed my stride. The young woman was full of glee and stopped at nothing to ask what perfume i was wearing. With a look of confusion, i gathered my thoughts while reflecting on which fragrance sample was used for this outing. Her greatest cheers have been realized. It was indeed the work of Lime Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone. Without hesitation, she apologized in advance by saying: "I don't mean to offend but you smell edible". Wholeheartedly, i laughed and even gave her a high 5 for the compliment.

I felt inspired to write about my experience because i see a few negative reviews. For those that never tried this fragrance, hopefully my adventure will add perspective.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

GROSS, and I'm a citrus lover.

I tested this on my skin and something very disturbing projected from my skin. I swore I almost threw up. Fortunately it was a very light fragrance so before I could scrub it off it was long gone.

-----------------------------------------
(updated) Today I went perfume shopping with my friend. He also tried LBM on his skin and the same thing happened to him. He had to go to the bathroom to rinse it off his arm.

ranchorita
ranchorita

This smells slightly less barnyard than Mystere by Rochas(which I love), but there are definite similarities. Worth checking out a sample if you are missing the original Mystere, in my opinion. I purchased a sample of this for Le Boyfriend, but I may nick it and keep it for my own. Maybe I'll wait until he buys a FB! Fresh and aromatic, but not too fruity.

Zelda
Zelda

I got a sample 5ml of this today free with another purchase it certainly lives up to its name could smell lime immediately very zingy and little while later mandarin which was nice but it's well into dry down now and I guess I'm smelling basil very herby strong and I have an unmercifully headache least I didn't buy it defo not for me but exactly what it says on the tin!

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Does smell a tad like its Hermes friend...That being said is a nice citrus vetyver. Crisp, clean spring/summer type. Notes smell more "natural" than Hermes tho IMO.

justbeQ
justbeQ

Citrusy, bright, crisp, green, herbal, clean, refreshing, fresh, effervescent, light, uplifting, natural, cool, zesty, spring-like, breezy. Add some tonic water and a splash of rum and I think I could drink this stuff.

A bright opening of fresh cut lime trailing very closely to fresh cut basil. Then I detect the mandarin and bergamot which round the lime out nicely. The iris brings a slight scratchiness to the mix and the vetiver adds a smidge of a dry weight to it. The vetiver and iris mesh really well dirtying it up a bit which makes it slightly more masculine. I get a drive-by of spiciness from the caraway. Literally, I smell it and it is gone with the wind. But, mostly you get happy lime and basil.

I absolutely love this stuff and I could keep my nose to my arm all day sniffing away. And no question that it is totally unisex.

sf2explus
sf2explus

First impression (not a full review)
I get a very nice fresh burst of citruss and herbs and it's very natural smelling, very nicely done here.
I get more lime and bergamott than mandarin in the opening of the scent. the basil is what gives it the greeness. there is also a very soft floral note that is coming from the background which is smooth and a little sweet with a hints of powderiness, once the scent settles which takes about 20 mins, the floral introduces itself. I think the lilac is giving it the sweet quality while the irish is giving it the hint of powedery smell. I really like it. it does not overlap the lime just smoothens it all out to give it more of a traditional vibe. I would say this is as unnisex as it gets and anyone can wear it.

lets wear this for the next 6 months i will see what it truly is by that time.

Edit:
i have not worn this for 6 months however the fragrance lasts an easy 6-8 hours and that is very good for a cologne. I am impressed.

Scent 9/10

tterekhova
tterekhova

This perfume is great combination of very unique sweetness and citrusy scent.
Very distinct and very long lasting. I know that my sis likes it and wears it all the time, so when I miss her being 10K km away from me, I sprinkle it & feel her presence. Weird, ah?

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

It's nice and light, citrusy and summery. A good formulation.

My wife sometimes likes it and is sometimes indifferent to it, so there's no sales pressure from that corner!

But, no, it's not for me.

Update: On a second wearing on a summer's day, yeah, it is. I like it better on a second wearing than I did on a first. Probably the best of the Jo Malone's I've tried.

Mila Pulina
Mila Pulina

It is not love but we can get friends; the opening is a little bit harsh - in fact it is an unisex cologne but for me it is a little bit too masculine.

My attempts to find a crispy and juicy lime scent in it are failed. Not my cup of tea(

Mangotea
Mangotea

I've had this for a couple of years. Was recommended by my sister who only wears Jo Malone fragrances, the only perfumes my brother in law can stand(!). This is an everyday kind of perfume, if you are into citrusy. My body chemistry works well with citrus notes, so I like it. Although it is so subtle on me that I forget Im wearing any perfume, people have complimented me, mostly girls though. Men, boyfriend tends not to even notice it. The best compliment I've gotten from wearing this is "you smell like a mojito!" This wAs meant as a compliment :-). This is a nice but forgettable fragrance. Easy to forget in the mist of yummier, more engaginging smells, frangrances with more personality. However, in the same way that it is forgetable it is easy to go back to. Those days that u just dont know what to wear but you want something elegant and more on the neutral side this is it. This perfume is the fragrance equivalent of wearing preppy, smalish pearl studs. Not much personality but you can never go wrong with those no matter what the ocassion. Boring but reliable.

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

Starts beautifully with a citrussy notes. Later a strong grassy note develops. I love green perfumes, but this is "offensive" to my olfactory system. I am assuming this is basil. It looks more like cilantro to me. The vetyver hides behind, shy... I would not have anything against vetyver being more prominent. Or a layer of cedar. The basil and caraway linger, in a one dimensional fashion... I am not too tickled by it. It may be one of those unisex perfumes that is more masculine than unisex. I am not sure I would adore this on my husband either.

Blue_Lady_Jane
Blue_Lady_Jane

I love my citruses and bought a phial to try. It's pleasant but there is some plastic smelling undertone to it... Actually an interesting plastic!!! There must have been a toy I played with as a child circa 1972 that had this plastic smell!
For my Citrus fix I will stick with the more authentic Aqua Allegorias Pamplune & Mandarine Basilic and my lifelong love Eau de Rochas.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Smells like something from Thai cuisine - lime, basil, strong peppery notes, I can somehow smell some fish. Compared to Jo Malone's Grapefruit this one is a masterpiece - it has some fantasy put into making this perfume, some intrigue even. Totally wearable for me, despite a strange concoction of smells I listed before. Pity that it's so short-lived as all Malone's line.

OTA Mom
OTA Mom

Very pleased with this one. Not flowery, not overly fruity, not feminine--the basil is a perfect counterpoint for the citruses and adds an unusual brisk freshness. It is a She-Who-is-in-Control fragrance, perfect for my work environment. This is the first time I have tried a patchoulli-containing scent that I liked. Perfectly unisex.

SusanNJ74
SusanNJ74

I HAVE it, but I don't wear it. Like many others on here, I've tried to like her line of colognes after reading into the hype, but they just aren't for me. I think this one is going for resale, even though I've found it to be the most tolerable of her scents, so far, that I've tried.

prot.srimekhanond
prot.srimekhanond

smell like dish washer

Hayven
Hayven

I find this to lean towards the male population, probably because the bergamot is prominent. The drydown is definitely vetiver with some patchouli. Maybe there's something out there to layer it to make it with to work on a woman, but it doesn't work on me.

honeydays
honeydays

I'm really surprised by all the positive reviews. This absolutely smells like bathroom cleaner. I am certain that I clean the toilet with something that smells exactly like this. Unbearable.

katemcq
katemcq

This one could be great, but it goes too far in several ways, as the other reviews suggest. It has a bit of that zingy, earthy smell of fermented citrus in it which I find compelling and different, but impossible to wear. I wish it could smell like contented limes in the shade, not limes beaten up by some angst-ridden basil and left to rot in the sun. I do think men might be able to make this scent work, but even so, the first couple hours are rough. Hours later (8 or more) you can smell some of the woody notes, but something too tangy still clings.

I disagree that all Jo Malone fragrances smell the same. Orange Blossom is a winner (especially layered) and I love Grapefruit, which has a tiny bit in common with Lime Basil and Mandarin.

Peachply
Peachply

I can't stand these scents, I hate to be negative but to me her line smells like air frenshner, all of it.

If you are interested in this type of scent I would try something by Hermes; Un Jardin Sur le Nils for a clean fresh uplifting scent.

MoKa
MoKa

Dick Turpin Esq - loved your review, that's hilarious! And what a relief that at least one other person has a reaction to this that's similar to mine. I'm amazed that so many people think it smells clean - to me it has a rank, oily smell and reminds me of older men who splash on too much spicy cologne and don't take enough showers. And that's just in the bottle!
I did put some on to give it a chance, but had to scrub it off; it started making me feel ill. I'm disappointed - I love the smell of real limes, real basil and real mandarines, but this doesn't smell fresh or clean in any way to me.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I think that this is one of the best known from the Jo Malone line and I'm not surprised. I do not like aromatic or citrus scents, but this one is a definite winner, it's not just a hum drum, beachy citrus.
This opens so bright, makes me think instantly of sunshine. I get a tang of the lime and bergamot in the opening but then floods in the basil and mandarin and on me the mandarin really shines and smooths out the sharpness of the spice and citrus. Basil I find has quite a deep resonant scent and this fades wonderfully as the fragrance wears down. This just becomes softer, it's fairly linear, but this doesn't bother me. I find this very unisex. Reminds me a bit of O de Lancome, but this one is more well rounded with warmth of the mandarin, whereas O de Lancome is more dry.
To me this is great any time of year, but I like it in winter because it reminds me of spiced oranges.

jtd
jtd

I only smelled this for the first time recently. It has such a pretty opening and it seems like it might simply be a long-lasting take on the eau de cologne. The heart turns out to be fairly short-lived, but the basenotes, while quiet, are quite durable. The base hints at vetiver, patchouli and iris, having a dry, dusty feel. It seems a bit like dried citrus rind, the perfect ending to the citrus-dominant start.

chyprefan
chyprefan

It screeched away for hours on me. As a lover of all things clean & green I really tried hard to like this, but couldn't. The word I keep coming to when thinking of it is screech.Gave it to a female friend and it smelled great on her.Sang a soft fresh tune.
On me it yelled itself hoarse.

Grottola
Grottola

Lime Basil & Mandarin is a hale, clean fragrance that is just about as good as it gets when it comes to lime scents. Straight up lime and basil, together in harmony. It lasts maybe 4 to 5 hours on me, tops, but most definitely lasts longer when layered with the bath products. If you want a nuclear-powered, albeit fruitier, version of this, try Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9.

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

The Malone line is best suited for the warmer months I find.

Love the citrus, so this works for me. Best for warmer months. Gives you lift if you are in so in need.

I do find this leans more for men. Blend it w/ Pomegranate and it brings out the femme.

Like most of the Malone line, this is a clean, soft and fairly linear scent.

The Malone titles are right on the money. There is no buyer beware. You get what it says it is.

Sillage and longevity are above average (for Malone).

sablebombe
sablebombe

I make a wonderful crayfish and mango salad and it smells exactly like this cologne!

Eos
Eos

I tried this today and found it very pleasant. It opens with sparkling citrus, dominated by the lime note. The heart is still citrus-y but with basil and other herbal notes, I smell mint and coriander both of which are unlisted. This scent dries down quickly, and suddenly it turns from citrus-aromatic to something chypre-esque.

Sillage: light to moderate
Longevity: 3 hours
This is truly unisex. It's almost as if someone created an inferior summer flanker of Jean Couturier's Coriandre with less attitude, longevity and sillage.

HazelMae
HazelMae

I find the mandarin in this to be absolutely radiant, and the lime-basil keeps things grounded.

For about 15 minutes on a muggy day, this makes me feel like I'm a gigantic Thai yum tofu salad, but that moment passes.

I can see how a lot of people wouldn't like the overt basil, but I find it lends a lot of depth and interest. This cologne has a lot more longevity than the average Jo Malone, on me about 3-4 hours, with a sort of afterglow even after the basic scent is no longer distinguishable.

I bought the small bottle and will eventually be replenishing it with the large version.

Gillie
Gillie

This really is one of those colognes for people who don't want to be caught wearing cologne: i.e. people who have been chopping basil and slicing limes, and then sniff their fingers, glad that a bit of natural scent remains. My daughter's young school friends love it, as it is subtle and "natural."

I can see that it would be a good masculine, especially for men who are a bit shy about perfumes.

On me, no longevity: it is gone in an instant. I suspect the fruit and herbs scent from a chopping board might even last longer.

If you really want fresh herbs and citrus, I would go for the Guerlain Aqua Allegorias such as Pamplelune, Herba Fresca or Mandarine Basilic.

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

Very masculine to me. Used to like this...Now I just smell cannabis. Strange.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Recieved a sample of this this morning, which I really appreciate. My mate seems to get these things somehow.
I have two opinions:
By itself; Not a fan, so much citrus makes me a li'l sick. I rate citrus fragrances below zero. Its exactly what it says it is.

Mixed; YES! This is awesome for taking a fragrance you dont like at all (maybe its too musky or offensive or just dull) and turning it into something completely different. Steer clear of already disliked fragrances that are so disliked via overload of citrus, for obvious reasons, such as YSL live Jazz, Burberry Sport and the Beat, Kenneth Cole Black.
Also steer clear of clean, aqua fragrances like Lanvin le'homme sport, Nautica Voyage, Cool water and Echo.

i would recommend mixing Jo Malones together, but NOT Pomegranate Noir, thats just an insult lol.

Opposites attract

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I had previously received a small sample of Lime Basil and Mandarin and found it pleasant but a bit masculine on my skin. It functioned similarly to a traditional Eau de Cologne, with lots of citrus and herbs. I already had other Eau de Cologne scents I like better, and with Lime Basil and Mandarin having Jo Malone's typical lack of longevity, I dismissed this one as nice but nothing special.

Got a 9 ml bottle as a surprise in a swap and decided to have my husband try it this time. Wow! This one works much better on him. It's straddles the fence between an Eau de Cologne and a chypre on his skin. The patchouli and vetiver basenotes linger for hours, softened with a bit of spice. After reading the other reviews on here, looks like I'm not alone in pitching this one to the guys, though there is certainly no reason for the ladies to avoid it if the notes look interesting to you. If it works with your chemistry, it's pretty darn good!

birdbrain45
birdbrain45

I like, but do not love this scent. My husband likes it on me as he hates anything that smells like the 'souq'. We spent years in Saudi and he cannot abide anything spicy. This is fresh and zingy but does not last long. The only JM scent I have found that has any staying power is the Vintage Gardenia, which he also does not like (I wear it when he goes away as I love it!) LBM is kind of a no-brainer for me - when I need something simple. I think this is good for either sex.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I have a friend who's signature scent this is. I must say, I don't like it on her or me. I think it's maybe because she's a heavy smoker and uses it to smell 'fresh' - I've always found that if you smoke you are better off wearing 'dirtier' scents or it does smell like you've doused detergent over yourself. The person who wears this needs to be outdoorsy and healthy, or a man.

Migotka
Migotka

So I was going for a walk with my dog the other day.
As I was walking down the stairs I passed my neighbour, and the whole staircase smelled of his perfume. "Wow, this guy smelled quite nice"- thought I.

A few minutes later, I passed a guy also walking his dog. "Hmhmh, that must be a pupular one, this guy smells of the same cologne as my neighbour"- I noted to myself.

It wasn't till a bit later on when I realised that I kept on smelling this masculine cologne-type smell around me even when no men (or, as a matter of fact- no one else except for my dog) were around. And then I remembered that the very same morning I sprayed a bit of Jo Malone fragrance on my neck.

So when I came back to the flat I took my sample, sprayed it on my wrist, and yes, this was the somewhat harsh, manly cologne I mistakenly took for someone else's perfume. The combination of lime and vetyver is simply great- calming and revitalising at the same time.

The only negative side of it is, as in the case of Jo Malone's other fragrances, the (non)longetivity. Those must be one of the shortest living fragrances out there, and the hight price does not really make them worth buying... I am really surprised how fast the head notes are disappearing, leaving the somewhat less remarkable background stay on for just a tiny longer.

That being said, my mum loves it and it is the only perfume she uses since she tried a sample I left on the table. On her it lasts forever!

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

“Duty Nurse to Ward 3 – Repeat – Duty Nurse to Ward 3”. The tinny words blared from the hospital inter-com just as Nurse Sinclair came on shift. She whizzed down the mottled orange colour linoleum corridor in her ugly rubber soled hospital shoes in the direction of Ward 3.

When she entered the ward, she suddenly saw that Mr Cartwright, the patient who was to have his varicose veins cut out of his legs, was lurched over the side of his bed and had been ill over the linoleum floor.

Nurse Sinclair was in such a rush that she only narrowly averted slipping into the bilious green vomit.

Tenderly wiping Mr Cartwight’s mouth, she mopped his brow and made him comfortable. “Looks like the tropical fruit salad of lime and mandarin didn’t agree with you Mr Cartwright” she said while taking industrial strength detergent and pouring it over the citrus smelling sick.

She expertly mixed the citrus sick with the extra strength cleaning product so it could be wiped up with disposable hand towels.

Her head began to ache: “Uggghh” she thought to herself, “this reminds me of Jo Malone’s noxious scent of Lime Basil and Mandarin!” and with that she dropped to the floor and proceeded to be sick herself.

wprofumo
wprofumo

I wore this for a while when I could not obtain Eau de Rochas. It's like EdR, but just not as complex or long-lasting. It's beautifully fresh and summer-morning-ish, but on me it's gone in a flash. Perhaps if you applied the body lotion first and the cologne on top, it would last a little longer.

Cereza
Cereza

Oh my god. This is amazing. The lime is very natural and fresh. It opens like a lime bomb for the first minutes, then settles to lovely heart part, where there is something smokey and somehow seductive, but still very fresh present. The sillage is very, very good and I really would like to get my hands on this beauty as this could be awesome in hot weather.

muobsession
muobsession

I was hoping for the fresh spicy scent of lime basil with a sharp hit of citrus zest. It starts out green and beautiful, like Eau d'Hadrian, but fades fast into a decidedly male drydown on me. Not for me.

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

I like the beginning of this -- juicy clementines! Then, oh something happens, and the clementines are getting buried under something that does smell quite like basil. Somehow I thought it would be a good combination, but it really isn't. Instead, what this mixture does, is represent a pretty true cilantro smell. That seems to be the only cilantro fragrance I'll ever need...

mocha43
mocha43

To me, this is a true unisex scent. I really enjoy the lime, basil, and mandarin notes. Then with dry down, the lilac and vetiver, and iris comes into play. I find it fresh and enjoyable.

njdeb
njdeb

I was standing in line to get coffee today, caught a whiff of this scent and thought "Wow, that guy next to me smells good!." Then I realized the smell was coming from ME and the Lime Mandarine & Basil sample I was testing out. Suffice to say, this strikes me as a masculine scent, and a great one at that. It is a fresh scent, as you would expect from a citrus aromatic, but with an unexpected depth and complexity. Guys, you should try this one out.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

Fresh, sparkling clean. Perfect for when I want to reach for something light during these breezy spring mornings. I am addicted to this smell. I first purchased it at the Jo Malone boutique in the flatiron in nyc many years ago. My boyfriend at the time said it reminded him of the goth girls he had a crush on in high school! I found this a cute little nod of approval. When we broke-up, he asked for the bottle! Anyway, smelling it now...all I can think of is how much I'd love to share this frangrance with the special man in my life because I think it would smell outrageous on a man!

panda2010
panda2010

I have loved this perfume for years now and miss it when I don't wear it. It is addictive and uplifting yet sexy too - citrussy without being sharp and the mandarin and basil counteract the lime. Just the most gorgeous smell

sublimedoll
sublimedoll

I really love this smell; however, I only selected that I like it becuase I agree w/fragrancefiend that it is very masculine. I'm going to give it to my husband...I'm sure I will LOVE it on him!

chance25
chance25

I really don't like how this smells on me. This is from a females perspective, it may work w/ a man's chemistry better. But, it smells very harsh and peppery on me. I was doing some light yoga while wearing this, and I got this yucky sour b.o. odor from it. I only like to do reviews if a perfume strikes me one way or the other and this one definetly left an impression.

fragrancefiend
fragrancefiend

This fragrance, like many of the Jo Malone scents, is extremely clean and fresh smelling. In the case of Lime Basil and Mandarin, I like it better in the soap. The lime is dominant and the smell is more masculine - reminds me of an English aftershave my dad wore. Even when combined with Jo Malone's lovely Orange Blossom, it still seems too manly. It is a very popular scent though; one of the top sellers for Nordstrom in that line.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jo Malone London Lime Basil & Mandarin fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Jo Malone London Lime Basil & Mandarin, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Lime Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone London. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Lime Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone London represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.