Designers » I-K » Aromatic « Groups

Wood Sage & Sea Salt Jo Malone London for women and men
dislike

marine
salty
Wood Sage & Sea Salt Jo Malone London for women and men Pictures Wood Sage & Sea Salt Jo Malone London for women and men Pictures Wood Sage & Sea Salt Jo Malone London for women and men Pictures Wood Sage & Sea Salt Jo Malone London for women and men Pictures

Jo Malone is launching the new Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne which arrives on the market in September 2014 accompanied with perfumed body care collection. The fragrance will be offered worldwide in the most important perfumeries as well as in duty free shops.

Composition of the new fragrance, just like its name suggests, is composed of ambrette seed, sea salt and sage, along with red algae and grapefruit. ‘This fragrance is different for me’ – says Christine Nagel, perfumer of the composition. She adds: ‘Sea air is mixed with salty and mineral texture of sand and stones. As the scent of driftwood it has natural and fresh sophistication. A complex combination of wood and sea is in its essence. It provides the feeling of freedom and natural spirit.’

Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne was created with the intention to evoke the feeling of pleasure, freedom and escape into nature, inspired by the unique character and quality of British beach. With the aim to reflect the whole idea, photos of the advertising campaign were taken in Northumberland by the British fashion photographer Tim Walker. Assortment of the collection Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt includes flacons of 30 and 100ml Cologne, 250ml Body & Hand Wash, 175ml Body Crème and 200g Home Candle.

Recommendation of Jo Malone brand: the new fragrance goes perfectly and can be mixed with Lime Basil & Mandarin or Nectarine Blossom & Honey eau de cologne.

Ambrette (Musk Mallow) Sea Salt Sage Seaweed Grapefruit

Burberry Sport for Women

Wood Sage & Sea Salt Fragrance Reviews

chinook
chinook

My first impression is that it's slightly sweet, and warm like snuggled up in a woolen coat. Then it gets warmer and fuzzier, like the feeling when you open a closet where all the neatly folded beach towels are stored, or when the dryer is just done, and you open it up, and find all your towels warm and perfectly dry. Then I can kind of feel the sea in a distance. I feel like if I close my eyes I can almost hear the waves. This scent is about dreaming of a beach vacation in winter.

joe70062
joe70062

This perfume reminds me of Thierry Mugler Cologne. I own a bottle of that cologne, and was able to do a side by side. The Jo Malone is not as strong, but it's very similar. It's light, a little citrusy but not like lemons. Strange to think citrus but not lemon. I can detect the slightest of salt. Not a bad perfume overall. Clean and soft. Try before you buy, that's for sure.

CeliaD
CeliaD

This is a very lovely , inoffensive every day fragrance and ,contrary to what a lot of people have said on here, it lasts a long time on me . I am wearing it now having sprayed it about 4 hours ago and it's still smelling strong. My skin usually absorbs perfumes very quickly so it's always good to find one that stays on me, especially one this lovely.
This perfume is quite similar to light blue ( which really is a silage monster) but it's not quite so sharp and a bit softer. I'm also reminded of EL pleasures, but can't think why. I do not pick up any salt or sage but get more of a citrus ozone type of vibe from it. To me it is definitely a summery scent.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

I don't know what people see in most of the fragrances, either. The bottles are so nice, the scents sound good, and the brand has this chic English rose persona. I'm not one to shy away from a high price perfume, but not a watered down cologne that's gone in less than an hour.

skyelightfetish
skyelightfetish

Jo Malone is the Boden of fragrance, isn't it? This is the best of the few I have tested so far and I can imagine (maybe) wearing it now and then, if someone gave me a bottle.

But I can't imagine paying the money they charge for this.

I never understood the hype and cult surrounding Jo Malone, and having tested several of the frags I still don't (the Boden idea was just a joke), but there we go.

raw umber
raw umber

On both me and my fiancé, this dries down to peachy dryer sheets. And it happens quickly. There's no sage, no seaside breeze, nothing of the sort. This does not match its name at all. The opening is slightly salty and ambiguous, but in no time at all, a sweet soft peachy base takes over. It's another reminder that Jo Malone's newer additions have largely lost direction and indeed meet the expectations of those who complain that Jo Malone is generic and overpriced. I wish the integrity of the older creations from this house carried over into the new. Don't get me wrong, it's not that Wood Sage & Sea Salt is bad, it's just that it should have been great, memorable, true to the scents of nature... and it's not.

cedar_lea
cedar_lea

I had the hardest time figuring out what to say about this one, but reviews are one of the way that I keep track of my sample testing so review I must.

In general I really like it. I love the salt. It does go a little floral but it doesn't scream lily of the valley trying to be a little aquatic. It's more of a violet herbal flower -- Like the sage is supposed to be a sage flower. It's mostly breezy salt with a breath of something interesting, sometimes green and every so often there's something more coconuty.

I tested in cool morning moving into warm (for here -- so 64F) afternoon and I got more three hours of scent but less than 5. Typically that's a dealbreaker for me. I don't even reapply makeup. But I do love that it's a perfect beach scent for my Oregon Coast weather, where if it reaches 80F everyone complains about the heat and you never go to the beach without a sweatshirt.

cutetrang
cutetrang

EDIT:
- the longevity is still awful!!
+ + + but I am loving this now for super hot and humid weather or when I am in a stuffy club with horrible /no AC. Freshened up my perfume in a club last weekend with stuffy air and my friends gave me so many compliments for smelling so nice, fresh and pleasant although the air was awful.
- Great for that but still think it is overpriced.
----

Guess the Nordic-sea-loving me thought it would be a good spontaneous purchase at the Helsinki airport...but i wish I sampled this properly because the longevity is almost zero with my skin. It is very scratchy woody but nicely sea salty. Just smells like slightly burnt wood and as if someone threw fresh sea salt in your face..
Sillage is also rather low. I could imagine it being nice, if you were about to take a swim in the ocean/sea. Not so musky on me. I regret that I purchased it at all but especially that I got myself a big bottle. Jo Malone's longevity is horrible! Waste of money and totally overhyped brand.

AgarwaeN
AgarwaeN

Absolutely love it! I tried this one on my friend's suggestion and unexpectedly in love with it. Usually, I wear fruity or floral perfume and never interested in wood or salty scents but this one is just...it!

This one reminded me of Tenerife in March or something like it, it smells like a beach but still have some cool in it, not a beach day during hot summer. Too bad that it doesn't have the longevity, actually, most of Jo Malone's lack longevity. I live near the tropical line and it's like 30 degree everyday even in winter, it fades pretty fast.

nordhaul

Underwhelming sweat smelling stench interesting but uninterested

ss_summer
ss_summer

I was persuaded to buy this reading all the reviews here that give such lovely imagery of chilly British seasides. But I really am disappointed in this one. I don't smell any part of the description. No beachiness, no aquatic, no sage. Really what I get here is a earthy whiff of mens cologne mixed with a plain scented Febreze or Glade air freshener, with maybe a bit of salt somewhere underneath. To me it really is a total blend of those two things. I'm trying really hard to find an appreciation for it (or another Jo Malone I can combine it with to make it nicer) but so far the best I can do is mildly enjoy it as a room/linen spray. Its one of those scents that make more sense for that or a candle, and less for wearing on your skin. I know Jo Malone has many 'unisex' fragrances but Im finding the ones labelled as unisex mostly means its just masculine. (not saying women can't or shouldn't wear masculine scents if they like them, just my idea of unisex wouldn't smell like a typical men's cologne).

minag
minag

I recently went through a horrid sinus infection that made every scent unbearable. Nauseating. Nose itching. Unpleasant. But there was one exception - Wood Sage and Sea Salt. Wood Sage and Sea Salt was my fragrant savior! It's soft, salty, dry, and cold but somehow manages to remain snuggly. I love it! It is definitely reminiscent of salty ocean spray in autumn, of a walk along a cold beach, right after an autumn storm. I lived near a beach in Japan and would frequently go for runs and walks along
the beach during my time there. This brings me back to those runs during the cold months.Oddly enough, it also reminds me of the scent of my mother's skin when I was a child. It's so comforting.

I find it to be quite linear, but I don't see that as a bad thing because this scent is just so gorgeous that I don't want to have it fall apart at any point. Sometimes, I just don't want to have any surprises over the course of the day.

It actually lasts a lot longer than I would expect a "cologne" to last (about 6-8 hours) and projects moderately for at least half that time (about 3-4 hours) prior to settling to a skin scent. But keep in mind, my skin is never dry and it tends to hold onto smells.

This is a beautiful beach scent. If I could choose one autumn fragrance, this would be it, but I feel it would work very well at any time of year and in any day-wear situation.

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

YouSmells
YouSmells

I've tried about a half dozen JM's at this point. I am an over 40 male reviewer very open to unisex frags.

I tried this one today because someone mentioned another scent that it was comparable to, so I had to get my nose on it asap.

I can sum up JM like this:

If I pick up the scent of half the ones I've tried via sillage/passing, I will notice it and find it to be a rather pleasant scent.

If I pursue it much further, and sniff it repeatedly, they will without exception come across as sharp, scratchy, and very synthetic.

That somewhat common background note that I think many of us get that can quickly lead to a headache, that I personally describe as something like a metallic chemical vibe. I think it is this very aromachemical that in turn actually appeals to large numbers of people, hence its usage...but that can negatively affect others.

I'm in that latter category. I know within one second of sniffing anything if that compound is present.

I was relieved to hear I am not the only one who experiences this effect with this line. The "room freshener" etc effect and someone on youtube mentioning the "aromachemical" label for the line.

I want to like this line. Was even reading the book she recently released.

But there is that sort of "JM DNA" chemical that is a part of every scent I've tried from the brand/house, that gives it that undertone of sharp synthetic.

I do wonder if the projection/etc is on the short side deliberately due to the aromachemical effect; perhaps if it did have serious longevity/projection, people on the whole would be experiencing what I do much more readily.

Just a theory.

The concepts are great with the line; minimal and interesting notes, the idea of experimental layering, and I really like a solid half the ones I've tried, but with the above limitation so much a part of the experience that I can't pursue the brand and expect to find anything I'd be happy with.

(sigh)

I will however do a review on another in the line and give it the best review I can muster, as the best I've smelled of JM, and that I could tolerate in my car on a test strip for several days (and basically enjoy).

So as to not have to leave only a negative view on the brand.

I'm not hating at all tho, understand, I am just explaining exactly what I get from this line. Some added venting due to frustration in *wanting* to like the line.

P.S. The first time I ever heard of this brand a bunch of years back, I assumed it was "Joe Malone." I used to know a Joe Malone growing up. The neighborhood thought his father was connected with both the Irish and Italian mafias, but no one ever knew for sure. So I always assumed by default that Jo Malone was some dude in Brooklyn/Queens who sold his fragrances via shady and extremely pushy/threatening salesmen on street corners to gain his current customer base and fans.

I was way off.

g2bhapi26
g2bhapi26

Salty, herbal perfection... that's all you need to know about this fragrance. I love it so much. This fragrance just evokes salty, beach air on a cold day and herbal woods. I imagine being alone, on a cliff over the ocean, and there is a forest nearby. Or, you are on a beach that is surrounded by woods, and it's a cold day. In order to hide from the wind you are sitting at the edge of woods wrapped in a blanket and looking out on the beach. I bought this in Dublin at Jo Malone counter, when studying abroad in Ireland. It reminds me of my time in Ireland.

Hamzah Mumtaz
Hamzah Mumtaz

Simply the best beachy scent I'm loving it

SuzeP
SuzeP

This is the best. Scent. Ever.
Smells so salty in the best possible way. Transports you to the ocean on a crisp fresh day.
Perfect for someone who wants a scent that doesn't smell like you're wearing perfume but like you actually were at the beach all day and smell divine. I have a friend who loves very powerful perfumes and she still wants this scent so I honestly think this scent is so addictive and makes you sit up and take notice. Sound too good to be true? It is. This perfume has the worst longevity ever!! Yet, I know that when my bottle runs out I will have to buy another!! Madness!!

If you've complained to anyone working the Jo Malone counter,
they will suggest layering with the wood sage and sea salt body creme. They suggest you spend more money to make the scent that you've already paid (a lot) for so that it will last as long as their other scents do without any layering of other products.

Unfortunately this is exactly what you have to do. I tried layering over their body creme and the scent went from a longevity of one to two hours, to lasting hours and hours. I even noted the projection was increased as well.

So, if you are a prisoner to this scent like I am, fork over yet more money and you'll be happy.

Michelle12345678
Michelle12345678

This is amazing. Salty and herbal with a slightly sweet undertone. I really like it.

However, it is ephemeral and fleeting.

In my opinion, comparing it to Light Blue is insulting. Also, it's better than Tom Ford Costa Azzurra because it lacks lavender. I hate lavender.

Updates to come.

Nazl.Nazl
Nazl.Nazl

The first Jo Malone perfume I bought. Love the sea salt smell which mellows down into an almost crisp linen fragrance.not quite like Dolce Gabana Light blue which is more green and heavy scent and not quite airy and crisp as one of my favorite Laura Mercier perfume.
Longetivity is almost zero in humid tropical country. I may end up using this cologne to freshen up the washroom.

miasav
miasav

This is more 'overcast British beach' than 'sunny Sydney beach' and that's exactly why it's wonderful. Picture walking along the stormy rugged coastline in Autumn with your jeans rolled up and a warm woollen jumper against the bracing wind. It's a beautiful thing and my husband and I both enjoy wearing it. The only letdown is longevity, it just doesn't last on either of us (2 hours if you are lucky) so for the steep price it's really disappointing.

cherimaefacebook
cherimaefacebook

I adore this scent on others... my boyfriend and his 19 year old daughter also love it. I purchased a bottle for myself but found it too overwhelming on my own skin so the 19 yr old got it as a gift. My boyfriend purchased me the body lotion and that suits me better.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is the most exquisite lovely little scent! It's soft, inoffensive and very well blended. I am taken to an old Victorian B&B by the sea, a room so soft and comforting with delicate tiny flowers on the walls and bedspread in blush pink, a lot of pearls adorning a beautiful old vanity and sea air wistfully rustling delicate lace curtains, mingling with the smell of old face powders and creams in a ladies boudoir...

This is just a soft beautiful salty feminine leaning fragrance I fell for upon first sniff...I thank the lovely Jo Malone rep that brought it to my attention...just simply beautiful
This will be a Summer staple...

snoopyQ
snoopyQ

The concept of this is nothing new.

Smells a lot like Hermes Un Jarin en Mediterranee and Belanciaga Rosabotanica.

All are EXTREMELY SIMILAR SMELLING. In fact I dare you .... can you tell these scents apart?

Herbal, aromatic and I find extremely pleasant.

The big question is: Is it Worth the Money? Since longevity and sillage are VERY MEDIOCRE.

Black_Swan
Black_Swan

This is very beachy, but not a sunny summer beach. This is a cloudy, briskly breezy, cool beach you wear your sweater to. Gorgeous, versatile, easy to wear, but disappointing longevity. I love this so much, and I wish it would last all day - but I will thoroughly enjoy it during the time I have with it.

MaryushaMTL
MaryushaMTL

Almost bought this one but it's a good thing I decided to test it out on my wrists before making the commitment. After 1 hr I could barely smell it on my wrists (and I gave 2 sprits on each). Yes it does have the D&G Light Blue vibe to it, and it reminded me of another perfume I tried before (don't remember which one) and therefore this made this scent non special for me. When you enter a Jo Malone store you expect to come out with something unique, different and this scent just kind of smelt familiar. The smell in itself is lovely, light, fresh, airy, reminds me a bit of those sea salt hair sprays. But for the price tag you would at least expect something that will last on your skin for more than 1 hr!

Alexfish
Alexfish

Reminds so much dolce & gabbana light blue... was expecting something more then just one more light blue but with higher $$$

jjonrofl
jjonrofl

Instant favorite for me, with reservations. Words to describe this scent are... sweet, comforting, uplifting, well balanced, relaxed.

It's not too woody, not too sweet, not too citrusy... just a balanced unisex fragrance. The sea salt unifies the notes and creates something unique and very pleasing.

I haven't been able to find a similar scent to it. Why would I want to find another scent if I like this one? Well...longevity is 3 hrs max for me, spraying one liberal spray on wrist, chest, inside elbow, and two sprays directly on shirt. After 3 hrs, the scent is almost totally gone (no random whiffs) though I can still smell it on my wrist if I get close up.

I've only ever had samples of WS&SS and each time I've gone through the sample with 2 applications. Perhaps I'm not used to the concentration of Jo Malone scents, but it's disappointing considering how good WS&SS smells when first sprayed and in the first 30 minutes of wearing.

I don't mind doing touch-ups, but I'd imagine this could easily use 3-4 sprays throughout the day to maintain/bring back the scent.

If anyone has a recommendation on something similar but with better staying power, send me a message. However, when I've looked through reviews or googled it, most recommended fragrances smell like the "idea" of marine/ocean smell, as opposed to the warm, sweet, unique, RELAXING smell of WS&SS.

I am willing to work with it though, and for now, this is my favorite smell. I went to the Jo Malone counter at Nordstrom and the lady gave me a scent-pairing recommendation of this fragrance with Lime Basil & Mandarin and she sprayed 4 huge sprays of each scent, on each wrist... so maybe that's the application standard they have for these light scents...

Side note... I disliked this scent mixed with Lime Basil & Mandarin, but really enjoyed the pairing of WS&SS with Oud & Bergamot. Really enjoy Oud & Bergamot as a cold weather scent.

Thanks for reading!

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

Starts with a blast of sea salt then dries right down to a fresh and clean accord. Generally it smells "good", simple and clean. Boarders a bit on laundry detergent and for a second it reminded me of lavender Downy. Then I realized its the sage Im getting which is greener and more herbal than lavender. I agree its light as air and it floats away fairly quickly which is a bummer considering the price tag. This is more of a cologne than an EDT. But the bigger crime is that it doesn't smell all that sophisticated or expensive. If this smelled like some toiletries at a nice hotel you might think "wow this smells good!" but as a high end department store fragrance thats well over a Benjamin, your enthusiasm would not be the same. I like this, but ultimately, its a pass.

Neckromancer
Neckromancer

This is my new favorite! But I never would have guessed the notes. This does not smell herbal like Guerlain's Mandarine Basillic or typically aquatic like Davidoff's Cool Water. There's a bit of a salty tinge, but it's nothing like the salt in fragrances like Olympea or Womanity. To me it smells a bit like warm boardwalk wood... sweet and slightly salty (however, the scent is not dry like wood usually is). There's no seaweed here, and the grapefruit isn't sharp or bitter. The sage only comes in the drydown, and it's very light. I was actually shocked by how sweet this scent is. It's very sweet, and I smell something fruity (peach?) candy-like in there, perhaps it's the muskmallow. I love it so much. How unique! It's an inoffensive scent that's suitable for most occasions...unless you're going to the opera or something. I think it's more feminine than masculine, but if I smelled this on a man, I'd be very inclined to follow him around.
Edit: In the drydown I'm starting to emit a beautiful clean sea spray. I'm so in love. Mmm, and now I'm getting a slight sunscreen accord...so sexy, like sunkissed human skin!!

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

This perfume smells like the East Coast Surfing Championships I used to go and watch! Sitting in the sand dunes among all the different sea grasses, salt breeze with the faintest hint of sun tan lotion from the skin of other watchers further away. It's an herbal salty accord that is lovely to wear!

JOANNA PAPAMICHAIL
JOANNA PAPAMICHAIL

This perfume reminds me of.. Jour d'Ete Roberto Capucci for men.It is very soft on my skin.
fresh unisex fragrance, but very soft..

pipsqueak
pipsqueak

Smells like some sort of horrible cheap aftershave to me. Awful. I couldn't get rid of the smell from my wrist despite washing. Eurgh.

scott.lauze
scott.lauze

Lovely scent, dreadful longevity. It's gone in 1-2 hours. And, unfortunately, on the warm days when it would make the most sense to wear this, it evaporates even faster. If one is really hankering for salt spray, algae, and freshness, try Sel Marin by Heeley or Aqua di Sale by Profumum. These both last forever and just a touch goes a long way.

assemblyize
assemblyize

I keep coming back to this scent by Jo Malone, as I do many other from her.

I don't get a hot, humid beach with this one, I get a cold morning by the coast, with waves racing towards the shore. At the first crash of frothy white against jutting cliffs, a salty citrus bursts forth, filling the air with a quick sharpness. As the waves slowly retreat, a soft comforting musk envelopes, a tinge of a floral breeze breaks through. As the distant sun continues its rise, a warm herbaceous sage settles amongst the driftwood washed ashore. The scent lingers close as the sea calms once again.

This scent has a very low projection, which I find perfect for the workplace. Fortunately, I don't face the problem many others here seem to, as I can still smell the scent on my skin up to 8 hours later.

I have noticed that towards the very end of this scents dry-down, I find a closeness to the dry-down of Clairborne Sport -- perhaps it's most akin to a fresh, sweet musky sage.

Shwets
Shwets

Very sea and salt like!
Quite a simple refreshing sea like aquatic fragrance with minimal sillage.

Not me but it was well liked by my colleague at work. Though she also complained of the sillage and longevity.

Eganda
Eganda

One of Jo Malone´s bestselling scent! It has a very fresh aquatic vibe to it! I can smell the sea salt and the musk! It is freah & fruity and combines well with other scents, especially Florals ! I love it!

samuelgustav
samuelgustav

Lovely fresh unisex fragrance, very soft yet it has caracter, but very very poor performance. Still I like it a lot for the summer when i just want to wear something soft, clean, easy going and refreshing.

But is it worth the price? Well... it has indeed very good quality, so yes and no, depending what are your needs.

monbonbon

Already commented but wanted to add:

I ended up buying the 100ml bottle of this and I'm in love. Very sadly, the longevity is brutal- I love wearing this on warm summer days, feels so good, but it fades within an hour :-(
I noticed the silliage and longevity are much better on cooler, damp rainy days- funny because the whole theme of this scent seems to be dampness and cooler darker weather...

I love how this scent could handle both types of weather and vibe. Will try putting a moisturizer on underneath for better longevity.

<3 my new signature scent

Christie-Jack
Christie-Jack

Just FANTASTIC, fresh, carries well, does not alter as it dries down.

BUY IT,,,,

monbonbon

I love this smell! I was at the Jo Malone counter and when I first smelled this, I found it weird.... The sales lady told me it's a best seller. I ended up buying the Earl Grey and Cucumber that day, and received a sample of this smell.

I tried on this scent, and again was unsure of what to think of it at first, but it sure was interesting... Truly smells like sea salt... The rest I'm not sure of how to describe... As a whole, this scent is easy to wear, natural, unique, interesting, and quite present. I've worn it in rainy grey weather, at which time it reminded me of a dark ocean side, deep blue waves thrashing near the lush green shore. Now I'm wearing it in a bright sunny day, and it's reminding me of a walk through the green house, and a drive on the nature filled countryside on a warm summer day :) beautiful, fresh, comforting... Moist woodsy and sweet enough that it's not odd.

I can't wait, I'm definitely going back tomorrow to buy a 100ml bottle of this amazingness.

soili
soili

I once read on some discussion board that Jo Malone perfumes smell like posh air fresheners and now I can't shake that off. They kinda really do. Like what you'd expect a fancy hotel to smell like, not a person.

Still, I love Wood Sage and Sea Salt. It smells more like some kind of green wild berries to me, something you'd find in a forest and know that you shouldn't eat it.

Longevity is really poor, but I make it last by applying some unscented mineral oil (from Ikea, made to use on kitchen cutting boards) on my skin before spraying.

Xango
Xango

This is a perfectly decent, well-behaved scent and very safe; a perfume you'd wear to work or the grocery store or visiting your mom.

I get more of the sea air and sage-y zing at the opening spritz, which I love (living in the hellish desert and all). Once it dries down and has time to settle, it turns into a gentle citrus-y, vaguely salty floral with a hint of the sage from before. Doesn't overwhelm, doesn't creep into others' personal space, and - sadly - doesn't have great staying power on me, either.

In short - I like it. It's neutral, but has a little pizzazz from the salt.

saphire51

My aunt first told me about Jo Malone fragrances a month ago. I finally got over to Nordstrom's and got several samples. I have absolutely fallen in love with Wood Sage and Sea Salt. It is truly unique. When I wear it, I think of ocean air, driftwood, sea spray, sea shells and that wonderful smell that is always in the air. I also got Wild bluebells and Tuberose intense. I LOVE them all. I love their lightness and freshness. They are not overwhelming. I only wish her fragrances lasted longer. Needless to say, I have now become a big fan of Jo Malone!

Ewalk81
Ewalk81

So I stopped by the Jo Malone boutique in Grand Central Station last week and picked up a travel size of this scent to see if I would enjoy it. I must say that I am. Once I run out of this, I will definitely buy a larger bottle.

saphire51

My Aunt recently sent me a sample of this. It is an interesting scent. I like the light and airy part of it. Unfortunately, it is a bit sweeter than I would like. My guess is that the ambrette is what I am smelling. I also get a "beachy vibe from it as well. It reminds ma a little of Aqua di Gio and/or Sicily(without the spice). This one could definitely grow on me. Of the Jo Malone scents I've tried though, Tuberose Angelica is definitely my favorite!

I wanted to say I have had my bottle for a while, and I think the smell has turned a bit, it smells very smoky to me now, more masculine, and has lost the freshness it initially had..
I have had several Malone scents turn fast ...too bad...! So be careful where you keep the bottle!!

JeffB
JeffB

I really like this fragrance. Not overly complex, not very strong either but really, really nice. Very calming scent. When you think of this, don't think about a tropical beach, instead think about a beach in a cooler climate with more distinct seasons. Imagine walking on a trail to the beach in the morning, it's just starting to get warm and you can smell the vegetation starting to warm up, the grasses, and the sea oats. If you have been to the NC Outer Banks, you probably know what I mean. Very good stuff.

julia.lennox
julia.lennox

Since I like woody and salty scents I was definitely intrigued by this attempt to blend both - although a bit wary. It starts quite salty on my skin and then it turns into a lemony-woody scent. I liked it at first and I bought a 30 ml bottle and the body cream, but I am getting tired of it. The main main problem is that the perfume is not long-lasting and the body cream scent turns definitely citrusy on the skin. Disappointing.

hailiek
hailiek

One of the nicest summer day-time perfumes ever. I bought this in Scotland to purposely remind me of the beautiful Fife coastline. "Wood Sage and Sea Salt" does give the impression of a beach. This beach is not the hot, languid French Riviera, or some Southern Californian beach in summer; it is a slightly chilly, breathtaking British beach complete with crashing waves and a cloudy sky. Like with all the Jo Malones, the name gives you the notes: there is salt, there is a floral woodiness blended to make a lovely, if slightly weak, fragrance. Sillage is decent, longevity not great but the 1 oz bottle lasts longer than one would think and think and is portable enough to carry around for a touch up.

mona84
mona84

This perfume will always remind me of when I was sent by my office to Bangkok for a week in 2015, for a training exercise that I was reluctant to participate in. Once there, however, I had the opportunity of a lifetime to rub shoulders with my colleagues from further afield, especially from Geneva, Nairobi, and Amman. It was an experience I will always cherish as it made visible the professional objectives I had envisioned for myself, having previously floundered in an uncertain sea. I saw then what I could become, given time and experience.

Although I wore my beloved Jour d'Hermes the whole time, I was introduced to this fragrance whilst browsing the duty free at the airport together with a colleague (whom I later bonded with over the delayed flight home to Kuala Lumpur). The scent of this perfume, the taste of dark chocolate-orange Belgian confectioneries (which we splurged on in a vain effort to make a dent in our generous daily subsistence allowance), and the words of Sartre (which my colleague gave me to read on the plane as we waited out a third failed take off) will always remind me of this time of infinite possibilities and idealism.

lavignia
lavignia

The citrusy note in the opening is very refreshing and uplifting. There is definitely something green in there that works really well with the saltiness of this scent. While this gives off a "beachy vibe," it does not necessarily spell "tropical" not even "summery." This is a very quiet walk by the shore where green grasses and/or trees (definitely not coconut trees) are present without the tropical fruits --- very serene and relaxing with the cool sea breeze. The ad very much captures what this fragrance is all about.

Projection is initially good (literally, upon less than an hour of spraying on) but short-lived. Let's not talk about longevity too.

Kinosan
Kinosan

I enjoyed it when I sampled it a while back, it has the salt and sage elements, but I think the powdery floral musk was a bit overdone which made it a bit unbalanced.

vsan
vsan

Basic soap

feels like after shower
Pleasant

Yes - Unbelievable but this is actually a formidable
Perfume of which I can actually smell the sea salt!!
It's awesome mixed with others, but nice alone too
when you're in the mood to think of the beach. It's
snowy Winter here and I'm enjoying this. Not to be
worn as a signature or anything like that but a nice
thing to spray yourself with from time to time when
doing work online, laundry, or whatever. ...Peace...

rchae94
rchae94

The Jo Malone line is a very appealing and unique bunch of scents that are very simple, but just mesh and compliment each note so well. My first bottle is the Wood Sage & Sea Salt -- and honestly, I thought it was going to be an overhyped product. Instead, I was met with a wonderful fragrance that is very fresh, non-intrusive, and an aroma that is not too strong. I get a feeling of nostalgia when I smell it, because it reminds me of the seashore. Like many people, the lasting power is not the greatest. However, this can be reduced by spraying on your clothes as opposed to your skin. Overall, a wonderful fragrance for someone who is looking into a more unique boutique, and is willing to pay an extra purely for the pleasure of owning a bottle of this wonderful brand.

katemcq
katemcq

It's neutral, clean, and creamy. It's a mingling of masculine aftershave with soap. I I find the character is somewhat impersonal but it seems from the other reviews that if you know what the west coast smells like, this will resonate with you.

acollin892
acollin892

Such an outstanding fragrance!! Truly wonderful but the longevity is terrible. It's a shame, but I truly adore this fragrance.. Highly recommended for the smell, but certainly not for the longevity.

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

I bought a bottle of this in June while visiting NOLA because it was already so hot and humid there and I needed something cool and refreshing to beat the heat. I also splurged on a jar of the body cream which is deliciousness in a jar! I happen to live on the Central Coast of California and I agree with the others who said it smells like this place! I have almost finished a small bottle and I can easily say it's my favorite JM. It's more woody and salty on me, and layered with the cream lasts a long time. This perfume is sublime for hot days but also wonderful for dreary cool days too. I love it!

thenewhat
thenewhat

I had heard a lot of glowing reviews on Wood Sage and Sea Salt, and it sounded so enticing that I had to get my nose to a Jo Malone counter.

The opening top notes of ambrette and sage mixed with the salty fruitiness of grapefruit were fantastic and I loved the overall cozy, wonderful, musky, comforting smell! I wanted to buy it then and there! BUT I needed to know how it would develop throughout the day.

And I won't be purchasing this.

That wonderful musky scent died down rather quickly, and I was extremely disappointed to find I was left with salty grapefruit. Salt and sour citrus and the tiniest amount of musk to round it out...that's it.

This scent is suitable for those who want a light, airy, salty skin, summer's-day-by-the-beach fragrance. It's non-offensive, sparkling and pretty, and I can understand why the woman at the counter told me it was a best-seller. I still quite like Wood Sage and Sea Salt, but I just wanted more out of those opening notes.

the big totoro
the big totoro

See I get the same thing as Monie70. It smells like walking on the central California coastline. I spend a lot of time in Cambria and this is what it smells like. The wild sages growing on the cliffs mixed with salty sea air. This takes me there every time I wear it! This is, hands down, my favorite Jo Malone ever. Absolutely breathtaking! It's a must try for every one.

kbot
kbot

My biggest disappointment with this perfume was how long it lasted on me. One of those that I'd need to keep reapplying, spraying on clothes, etc. That said, I loved the woody, airy quality and want my whole house, clothes, car, and basically life to smell like this-ha! Another reviewer commented that this might almost be better as a home fragrance and I agree. There is a hint of fresh linen/laundry to it that makes me think it would make an amazing detergent/fabric softener. It is cozy in an unexpected way--like sitting around a beach bonfire towards the end of summer when it's getting a bit chilly in the evenings.

Crystals On My Converse
Crystals On My Converse

I only got this recently and I am quickly becoming addicted to it! Smells to me like a late autumnal walk along the coast but where you can smell the woods too along with the salty sea air! Too bad I don't live near the coast!

Only complaint is the price point - 100ml is £85 GBP - ouch....!

cologneblanche
cologneblanche

It's nice, and I own a bottle. To me it's quite a musky ambrette based salty scent, that's reminiscent of the beach. It's like Jo Malone's take on 'Cool Water' or 'Aqua Di Gio'. I guess most people would find this inoffensive and agreeable like the aforementioned oceanic scents. Unfortunately longevity is a huge let down. I'm not sure why the duration and sillage of this scent is so light. Given it's luxury price point, it's quite disappointing.

Monie70
Monie70

@hippiegirl "This smells like the California coast and its eucalyptus groves and sweet something else along Hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo up to Big Sur"

This most certainly does smell of the coastal air! I knew this was familiar but could not put my finger on why I know this scent. I am a native of SoCal and spent many, many hours burning up PCH/Hwy 1 to Santa Barbara and Pismo Beach. This smell reminds me of the ride up and more so mid-morning right before the marine layer burned off, leading into a glorious day of sun and fun!

I am in the Southeast (GA) and this JM scent is a fav of mine because of the salty sea smell - it reminds me of home!

A way I get it to last longer is to make sure I spritz my hair - the serum I use to protect my hair from the humidity and/or cold here some how holds the scent, that and wearing an unscented body oil.

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

A better twin of Bal d'Afrique by Byredo??? Wonderful scent.

hippie girl
hippie girl

This smells like the California coast and its eucalyptus groves and sweet something else along Hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo up to Big Sur. The smell of the air gets me high. Just sweet air. I wish it lasted longer.

WildDove
WildDove

Wood, Sage & Sea Salt is clean, slightly herbaceous, breezy, clean laundry, linen closet, fresh-cut wood, light musk, fresh dirt. Contemporary, dry, minimalism. Casual, laid-back, office-friendly. Rural California on a summer afternoon or evening. The rush of lovely air when walking through the door of a high-end department store. Could Wood, Sage & Sea Salt be Jo Malone's answer to Molecule 01?

Snicole82
Snicole82

This is so bland, it makes me want to cry. It smells like plain scented water. That's the only way to describe it. It's not a unique smell. It's not a bad smell. It smells as if I had some typical perfume on, went and jumped in the water at the beach and the perfume was starting to wash off. The only distinct note that I get is the original rush of salt. Then from there,it's scented water.

I can say, it's office safe and that's for sure.

JaiTee
JaiTee

WS&SS is a really pretty perfume that reminds me of soap bubbles and lazy days.

This scent feels happy and breezy and feminine. On my skin, there's a touch of florals in this combination of notes.

It's fairly linear and only lasts a couple hours on skin. The trick is to spray on clothing for better longevity.

TrailerTrashPrincess
TrailerTrashPrincess

i dislike being at the beach. i don't like beachy smells. i tried this fully expecting it to be awful.

it isn't.

the first five minutes were amazing. it smelled expensive, feminine, and gloriously different.

after that? cedar. or pencil shavings. way too woodsy. might make a nice home fragrance, instead of perfume.

tinaelisa
tinaelisa

This one might be nice paired with Womanity eau pour elles! This one as a base (salty muskiness) and eau pour elles on top (fruity saltiness). Gonna try that! :D

HeatherStarr2424
HeatherStarr2424

This is so different from anything I usually like, but I love it! It's very marine and salty on me at first, but then the musky scent comes in and that's what lingers. But it's not an "old" or "dirty" musk, this one's as clean as it gets. How you think your hair and clothes would smell after a day yachting in the Mediterranean. Carefree and fresh, and perfect for a vacation scent. Or an everyday summer scent, really; I personally don't think this is a cold weather scent. I can see how this could sway masculine, but I think it's definitely more feminine.

walking44
walking44

Smells very oriental and incense like. A little sour and candy like. Kinda smells like laundry detergent..And sour patch kids, orange juice.

pauroj
pauroj

love it for the longest time i have been on a quest for the perfect surfer girl kind of scent , i think i am close with wood sage and sea salt , thou it doesn't remind me of the beach exactly is really fresh and nice i will repurchase this one , very unique scent

ivanserbolin
ivanserbolin

Here it is, Sea Salt. Tom Ford Costa Azzurra & Jo Malone Wood Sage&Sea Salt. One idea one Big Boss. New trend or just Estee Lauder, trying to get market from different sides? Anyway both fragrances are definitely worth to experience. If TF Costa is just a good fragrance with pointing on woods and especially driftwood, Jo Malone has succeeded to recreate true authentic Sea atmosphere. The very first spray takes you to the beach of some abundand with myriad greens and florals coast where warm sparkling sea water splashes onto your face, covering you with its endless beauty. Few moments after you make your full of freedom deep breath and here your lungs are filling up with invigoratingly fresh coastal air where after exhaling you are able to feel the scent of mineralized sea salt which cater all your nature and unwinds you from routine. Where are you now? Well..mentally, is somewhere on a heaven but, physically, still on earth.
Scent touches myself to the very roots of my being. Great reverence to Jo Malone.

Scentmad
Scentmad

Pretty, woody, sagey, salty and gone in a flash. Nice but far too weak for my nose to really rock my world.

This just doesn't have the ooooomph I like in my frags.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

A very pleasant beachy scent. I wasn't a fan of the initial blast, but the drydown was quite nice. The only problem: strength. I can tell just from a paper strip that this stuff won't last on my skin at all.

For me, the king of sea scents is Outremer's Oceane and Backpacker's Cologne Big Sur, but this one could take third place.

C'mon, Jo - up the concentration!

---------------------------

A wearing:

It's ephemeral and timid in the usual Jo Malone style. Like some perfumer dipped a piece of wood into a mildly salty alcohol solution and called it a perfume. No silage to speak of. Little longevity.

I like it, sort of, but it's just sort of not there on me. Yes... I can see why some might call it boring. Given the above and the Jo Malone price point, I won't be buying a bottle of this.

I'm not a fan of the House of Jo Malone, as you can see, and this one doesn't convert me any.

I see there's grapefruit listed as one of the notes. At least it's not that obnoxious, weird synthetic that gets used nowadays in place of a more convincing grapefruit note.

Sage? I don't get that at all. Sage is a note that never fails to invoke in me memories of the California coast and I don't detect that in this. The Sage King is Backpacker's Cologne Big Sur.

landshark321
landshark321

This is the first cologne by Ja Malone that I've worn (I tried a cologne intense, Velvet Rose & Oud), and the projection and overall strength of Wood Sage & Sea Salt are already noticeably different within an hour of spraying---so limited, in fact, that I'm reasonably sure it will be gone within a few hours, though I'll update if I'm wrong.

It's a pleasant summer scent, with, apart from its named ingredients, musk and something sweet, perhaps citrus. And perhaps its lightness means that it will perform better in the summer, as I'm testing it out in the winter, though I feel the winter test is a better baseline for performance. It is a very agreeable scent, not likely to offend, but not particularly daring as an aquatic or woody scent. Nonetheless I could certainly see this being a summer staple for either gender because it is unoffensive, and a harmonious mix of salt, wood, and hits of spiciness and sweetness. It leans slightly toward Tom Ford's Costa Azzurra on scent, but of course not strength.

If the strength weren't such an issue, I might have higher regard for this fragrance, but even though named a cologne, it is still too weak to consider buying, especially at its price points (30ml for $60, 100ml for $120). The cologne intense I tried at least seemed to offer some bang for some bucks.

6 out of 10

daithi
daithi

The concept of "Wood Sage & Sea Salt" is beautiful: an olfactive recreation of the salty and aromatic smells of the coasts of Britain. I was waiting for this fragrance hoping for an original release by Jo Malone and attracted by the idea of an atmospheric, introspective perfume.

When I tried the perfume for the first time I was totally disappointed. I tried it twice. And the second trial confirmed my first impressions.

It's a boring and completely uninspired perfume. A soft and generic mess of something fruity (citrus?), something slightly aromatic (sage?) and a musky drydown. It smells like cheap shampoo and a little bit like an "eau de cologne" concentration of Light Blue by D&G.

If you want to smell a good interpretation of the smell of the coast and the sea, go for the masterpiece Heeley's "Sel Marin" or "Aqua Motu" by Comptoir Sud Pacifique.

Aleccsei
Aleccsei

WONDERFUL SEA BREEZE
_______________________________________________________

A few days after it came on the market, I had the lucky chance to try out Jo Malone's 'Wood Sage and Sea Salt'.
I was blown away by the first seconds of this wonderful scent on my skin. It takes you to a far away ocean shore, where there is only one thing around you: salt water.

The most convincing and, in my opinion, the strongest note here is the seaweed. However, for some reason, I also smell fig somewhere in there.

I tried it today once more, and the lasting power is very good.

Overall:
Opinion: I'm in love with it - 10/10.
Longetivity: good (for a cologne) - 8/10
Sillage: medium - 6/10

All in all: 9 (biast) out of 10 points.

vanillablossom
vanillablossom

beautiful, classy, inviting... I was lucky enough to FIND a sample of this and its only the second Jo Malone scent I have liked. And when I say like I mean love, in fact. Its lasts an acceptable length of time.

brettashley
brettashley

Easy to wear, but I really should have loved this more - wood sage? Sea salt? Waifish girl frolicking by windswept dunes? A scent devoted to the beach, but off-season, when the water feels absolutely frigid and you don't know why you drove out there, only you absolutely needed to be near the ocean? Definitely up my alley, and I was so, so ready to love this.

But I don't love it. I like it fine. It doesn't have enough of the salty grittiness that actually going to a beach evokes for me. This is lovely and light and airy and fresh, and mostly a sheer, ozonic grapefruit. I can put it on without thinking about it. But it doesn't have the fullness, the saltiness, the deep and dark and dirty mystery of the ocean - doesn't even hint at it - and that's why this doesn't quite do it for me. I'll use up my bottle, but the next time I'm in Jo Malone, I'll just get a second bottle of Blackberry and Bay instead (my first JM love, and still the one I love most. Been meaning to get another bottle, but I always get distracted by the new releases in JM, and that's how I end up with Wood Sage and not a second bottle of B&B). And for my hit of salty marine air, so thick you can taste it, I'd rather go with Thierry Mugler's Womanity. (Yes, I'm one of those people. The Womanity-loving crowd, crazy neo-futuristic bottle and all. Sorry I'm not sorry.)

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

This is sweet citrus and woody in the beginning with a marine element slightly reminiscent of Light Blue or Elemis EDP. I love Wood Sage and Sea Salt as a day scent for cooler weather. It's not heavy at all and stays quite close to the skin. It layers really really well with JM Vanilla and Anise which is a great combo for evening too.

Leximackenzie
Leximackenzie

A light and fresh, easily wearable scent. On my skin, the citrus is crisp and prominent (yet not overpowering) but is later pared back by the sage and salt as time progresses. A clever little blend of notes that brings sophisticated simplicity. It typically lasts around 4-5 hours so I would suggest that, if you plan to wear this all day, you keep a bottle in your bag. The smaller 30ml bottle size is perfect to carry around, as well as being easier on the wallet.

Yes this is arguably a "beachy" scent but completely wearable all year round. The sea salt creates a cloud of fresh sea air, rather than a typical Summertime scent for me. The negative comments on its launch during September are vacuous, but that is my opinion.

Scentsofwellbeing
Scentsofwellbeing

This reminds me a lot of Bvlgari Man or Brooklyn by Bond 9. It has that sea salt, grapefruit, woodsy and musky vibe that has a clean and "Gritty" scent.

It smells slightly citrusy and tangy and first, but then morphs into a dusty smell of sawdust or "Wood chips", I wouldn't be surprised if there is Vetiver in this scent.

Overall a pretty good woodsy-salt-citrus scent, but the Bulgari Man has better longevity, sillage, and of course for the money...

SueLidstone
SueLidstone

I am from Newfoundland, a small island off the coast of Canada, where the sea air is pure, fresh, and crisp. This perfume captures that scent perfectly! It is ethereal, light and ozonic and embodies the fresh dewy scent of sea air and fresh cut flowers. I don't get much of the muskiness from this scent, but I do detect the citrus, which gives it it's freshness. I love how beautiful, clean, and crisp this perfume is, with just the perfect hint of floral and citrus. It is a captivating scent!

iko4177
iko4177

..no shit..it's a bit closer to scuderia ferrari....

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Somehow I find this very similar to "Lime, Basil & Mandarin". The tone and crisp sharpness are almost identical.

"Wood, Sage & Sea Salt" smells drier and less green than L,B&M, because of the peppery sage, but the citrus and seaweed give it the same uplifting, breezy clarity. The salt smells more mineral-like than aquatic.

I find this very wearable, and like most Jo Malone scents, totally unisex, but leaning more toward masculine.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

Doesn't smell like its name at all - mildly fruity (the grapefruit?), tangy, but nothing like the sea or the beach, and I live next to one so I know how a UK beach smells. And this is not it. There is no seaweed smell in it, that I can detect. However if you like fruit/citrus colognes with a tang, this is for you. Reminds me slightly of Elnett. Not my choice, but interesting.

spcmiller
spcmiller

I picked up a sample of this at Nordstrom today and the second I sprayed it on it reminded me of (I sh*t you not) Spicebomb Eau Fraiche. Of course this is a watered down, less committal version, but that's honestly the first thing that popped in my head when I put it on my wrist. Longevity is VERY unimpressive, giving me at most an hour or two. I do like it very much, I just wish there was a way to make it last longer than the duration of a movie.

I'd give it a 6/10 at most, and the deduction is mostly for the longevity.

qatarkind
qatarkind

This is very beautiful, simple, soapy, clean, and different kind of cologne.
I tested it on paper and I can smell it even after 12 hours.

edda88
edda88

I'm either anosmic to an ingredient in this frag, or the sample I got from Nordstrom had lost some of its potency or something, because it absolutely disappears on me within about 20-30 seconds.

I'm familiar with Jo Malone and I know to expect "cologne" level longevity, so I'm not anticipating something strong or lingering at all. In fact, one of my favorite scents is Blackberry & Bay by JM and that doesn't last very long. I was looking forward to a saltwater-y diaphanous woody composition with this one, and the descriptions/reviews here all sounded lovely.

The first time I tested this, I sprayed a few times. Maybe 3-5 vial sprays. I could smell almost nothing. Then a different time, I tried a few more sprays. Got some hairspray at first and then a little salt. This time, I practically bathed in it and finally, only on my inner elbows, was able to ascertain some salty wood and extremely faint citrus. Which was nice, pleasant enough, but then it did its disappearing act. AGAIN. Where is this alleged musk and sage and seaweed? I live near the ocean where coastal sage scrub is abundant, and would recognize it in a heartbeat. Such an odd experience.

Disclaimer: sometimes my skin does soak up fragrance pretty quickly, but nothing has ever come close to this. Not even CLOSE. So, I'd suggest testing this one first, rather than blind-buying. Wish it had been a success for me because I love the idea!

Steleale
Steleale

Very lovely fragrance, perfect for summer, but I don't get any salt or sea shore, to my nose it's floral and citruses (probably cause I am used to Acqua Di Sale, where salt and seaweeds are more prominent).
Nice advertising photos...make me dream...

Elenkina
Elenkina

Love woody notes in it. I mix it with blackburry and bay and it smells heavenly!!!

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is a pretty smell, but the kind of fragrance that isn't as fleshed out as it could have been. Not worth the money to be sure. If you want this, and cheaper, Armani Diamonds is just as good, if not better, with suggestive notes that are more full bodied.

Rie60
Rie60

Love this- it will be my new signature---as soon as it comes in the mail. Has the same salty quality as violet eyes-fresh and aquatic freshness that I'm plotzing over

Fragaria
Fragaria

I love the scents I've smelled from Jo Malone. The prices are far too high for a cologne...for me. I do love the packaging also. I'm glad they aren't easily accessible for me. The temptation would be too much...but if I ever get RICH! :-)

angelayio
angelayio

I tested it without a lot of expectation. I was mesmerized by it. It is a savory, sweet scent, with depth even though it is light. The dry down is soapy clean extremely refreshing. I believe more feminine than masculine especially when the top notes calm down. For the moment my favorite Jo Malone, and I love lots of scents from this brand. Not to mention how much I love the idea behind the perfume, the autumn British seashore.This fall I can't wear anything else.Excellent!!!

SexyJasmine
SexyJasmine

I feel so bad because the reviews speak so highly of this fragrance but I just don't like it :(
I was gonna blind buy it because the reviews were so positive however I had a sample from a previous Jo Malone purchase so I decided to give it a test run just to be sure. The initial blast was salty, sweet and quite nice but by the 3rd or 4th hour it morphed into a scent that reminded me of bathroom cleanser. I am so bummed.

sofiebgoode
sofiebgoode

it's been a long time since i've been so in love with a fragrance. this is now on my HG shelf.

Germany
Germany

Musky , salty and SWEET ! With a fresh citrusy opening. A feeling of TF Portofino In a way but this being a little sweeter and almost gourmand , TF is more amber with citrus and this is more musky with citrus. I like this a lot. Its addictive bc of the musk and salt. Almost like a salty skin by the beach. So to me this is a nice weather fragrance, summery. I will not get it for now as there are better choices and scents for the cold winter coming. But I will keep this in mind for the spring and summer , very aromatic !

archivist
archivist

I have been dying to smell this (I love salt in perfume), and was thrilled to find it as an extra in a swap box! I don't get as much refreshing saltwater ("marine" is not the same thing as melony "aquatic" at all) out of this as I do Un Jardin Sur le Nil, which is one of my very favorite summer perfumes. That said, this perfume is a reminder that beaches aren't just for summer, as seaside residents know (but tourists forget). This is an autumnal beach. The sage evokes the smell of driftwood fires, which are salty and herbaceous with smoking algae and seaweed. It is a dry, cool, serene scent. The sage does seem a bit much initially, but the perfume quickly finds its balance on the skin. It's still a little too fougere-y for me personally, but it is a lovely scent. I would love to smell this on a man (masculine skin would certainly amplify the best notes in this perfume), though it is definitely unisex. No longevity on my skin, but that is my sad fate with respect to all the Jo Malones.

Madame Fragrance
Madame Fragrance

A wonderful, refreshing fragrance! Love it! Several compliments the first day I wore it!!
Also, longevity is not always a good thing! You don't want to knock people out with a fragrance!!

Medea12

Adore it! This can be worn in summer too and I love the light scent and the short longevity. This verifies its mostly natural oils composition.
Remember ladies...the more it lasts the more synthetic it is!... Your health is more important!

lady_baskerville
lady_baskerville

I'm usually a sweet/oriental person, but I do LOVE woody fragrances, so I was intrigued by Wood Sage & Sea Salt.

After getting a free sample in the post, I have to say that I'm hooked. I love the saltiness of it- it really does smell like fresh sea air on a crisp day at the British seaside.

In my opinion, it completely makes sense to release it in autumn, because this to me is a cool fragrance, if a clean one. It makes me think of a windswept beach in winter.

The downside is the longevity and sillage - it sits very close to the skin and doesn't stick around for very long. After a couple of hours, I could only smell the faintest trace if I pressed my nose right to my wrist. I'm undecided if I will buy this or not, but I do love it.

andabri
andabri

This scent is so beautiful. It's like combining the scent of smelling spring rain off of a citrus tree with the smell of beach air. BUT, not a beach in the summer... a cold, crisp (but not windy) beach.

This is literally a cold weather beach scent. Mind-boggling for me... but amazing nonetheless.

This literally smells like clean driftwood, salty, watery air. A hint of pepper and a dash of citrus. The sage is really herbacous, but again, clean... it almost has this sweetness that makes it smell reminiscent of fresh lavender blossoms. On dry down the ambrette really comes into play, this light, sweet, musky scent that really compliments the fresh, airy salty, herbal tone.

This is definitely a unisex scent. I can imagine myself enjoying smelling it on a man as much as I enjoy smelling it on myself. I have labeled this in my head as "incredibly hot, super sexy man smell". You know when an incredibly-hot-it's-almost-unbelievable person of the opposite sex emits a smell that is almost certainly made of pheromones and magic and is incredibly addicting? Yeah, for me, it's like that.

UGH. I can't even describe how much I like this fragrance. I wasn't expecting to because I'm eh... sage and iffy on ambrette, but I definitely plan on procuring a bottle of this.

almarie
almarie

I just received a catalog from Saks Fifth Aven and there was a sample of this in that catalog. I adore this scent!!!! I am shocked at how much I actually love this! I will definitely have to save up and purchase this at some point in the future because this is gorg!

jelizani
jelizani

I absolutely love this scent. It's fresh without being soapy - think invigorating. It reminds me so much of walking along the ocean in the fall - that crisp, sharp salty air and fireplaces lingering in the background. Makes me long for that briny sea spray!

Aspendina
Aspendina

Heaven is that you? Gosh this smells so dang good. I gotta have it.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Wood Sage and Sea Salt opens with a strong grapefruit note with nice greens and sage in the background. The salt becomes more prominent as the scent develops, but I would say that there is really not that much development to the scent. The only thing that really changes is the prominence of the ambrette as the scent evolves. To my nose, the ambrette ruins the scent. It brings a sweet musky note to what should be an aromatic fragrance. It takes away from what I was hoping would be an herbaceous, salty green fragrance.

I really detest ambrette so that completely destroys the scent for me. If you like ambrette, then you may like this fragrance, but even if I liked ambrette, the fragrance is unbalanced in the drydown and loses so much of the beauty that it could have had if the sage and some wood notes had been more prominent. It smells more like an overripe grapefruit than anything else to me. This is a definite test before you buy fragrance.

This is a wonderful fresh breezy scent!! It has a sweet freshness that smells sooo good..It disappeared from my wrist in less than 20 mn though...I didn't get a sea salt note, it is a fresh light scent, I can hardly distinguish any notes, although I do smell the sage the most..this is a delicate aromatic scent, not about the beach or the sea so much. More like looking at the ocean on a windy day. more for women than men, it is real pretty!!
I expected more at first, and in the end I find it so attractive I bough it..
nothing to do with Womanity in my opinion.

tubereuse
tubereuse

Sample test - two spritzes in store. Fresh breezy sea air. Definitely salty & woody. This is very nice and very JM. Light and wears close to the skin. Perfect for the office or public transit. Others have already mentioned that it’s not a summer beachy type of a smell & i concur!

sapphira07
sapphira07

I like this a lot even though it does not fall under my usual floral/fruity/chypre style. The top notes are very strong, it is quite peppery on my skin until it evaporates off - and rather quickly which is kindve a bummer because it becomes a very personal scent hovering oh so close to the skin, but I wanted others to enjoy the uniqueness of this fragrance lol. Oh well, the dry down is beautiful, very salty, woodsy and reminiscent of a cold beach in the late fall or early winter. It lasts on my skin about 3-4hrs, and on clothes a little longer - but rather faintly. I justified a 1oz bottle because Saks had a sale that took $50 off my total order so it was almost free. Even though I enjoy the scent I dont think it is worth the price point, especially since I did not get the body creme - which I think is necessary for the full effects of this scent. Lovely, but just not enough projection or longevity on my skin.

redolent_one
redolent_one

I've never bought anything from Jo Malone for some reason. This is my first purchase in the form of body cream. I was also given some samples of the cologne.

It smells very lovely, light, fresh and clean yet warm & outdoorsy. It is not a typical perfumed body cream which can often times be too much fragrance.

The actual smell of this juice is very, very much like Womanity. Since I have a bottle of Womanity still, I can compare. It is like Womanity Lite. I have an idea that the marketing, name & color of Womanity put people off (myself included) but the juice itself was nice. I think the juice was ahead of its time and that is why we're seeing it duplicated this many years later under a different name, etc.

I do smell a slight something different in Wood, Sage & Sea Salt which is likely the addition of sage.

Anyway, I recommend it for fragrance lovers. Longevity is weak-moderate and sillage is light-moderate.

Lovely.

blueviolet
blueviolet

I shouldn't like this, I don't like amber or salt in perfumes. So reluctantly I put this on expecting a scrub coming on. I like it. What?
It's beautiful and I swear I can smell lavender?
It smells nothing like womanity which I detest.

meece
meece

I am a Jo Malone addict, so I had to get this. My signature fragrance was lime basil and mandarin, but that may be about to change.
This fragrance I can see being unisex as it is a very "clean" scent.
It is reminiscent of an English beach, but not Summer. Release time is perfect - its autumn (fall) where all the scents of the seaside are whipped up by the change of seasons. Just imagine a windswept beach, jeans and jumper, walking amongst the sand dunes, threat of rain in the distance.

Begins very sweet, but quickly you get driftwood and sea spray, then sage last. Does complement Lime Basil and Mandarin.

I love this.

simbeast
simbeast

wood sage and sea salt wears close to the skin, it is musky and definitely salty, with a sweetly woody finish. despite having marine qualities, there's a coldness here that makes this a good fall scent, and in my opinion it treads slightly more on the feminine side of unisex. i wouldn't mind a bottle of this, but a part of me wonders if the low projection is worth the jo malone prices.

i guess next time i will try blending it with nectarine blossom and honey like the blurb suggests, although the saltiness really makes me want to blend it with something that has a strong raspberry note.

casandracox
casandracox

I ordered a small bottle of this online and just received it. At first spray it smelled a little hairsprayish to me but I decided to be patient. The dry down was amazing. It smells very wood and cinnamon. I'm not getting anything beachy but then again I've never been to the British coast. I think it's one of the Jo Malone fragrances that stands on it's own.

doowee.teja
doowee.teja

I was so excited about this fragrance! And now its out, i am a little dissapointed.
It smells like D&G light blue and passpor love. for those who already know, but haven't buy or own light blue /passpor love, can buy this wood sage and sea salt!
The top note is exactly the same, and become softer later on.
Why waste 120$?! You can get passpor love for $20 online!
Don't believe me, go to dept store and compare before decide to buy! Always" try sample before you buy!
I love Jo malone alot, don't get me wrong! But the new one isn't worth to buy, coz other brands are cheaper and smell exactly the same :)

Medea12

Brits....what would they know from summer..?
That's they're launching it in September!

dannysmom
dannysmom

I was lucky enough to get to sample this at a Jo Malone boutique this weekend. The sa's had a tester in the back room. It seemed odd to me that a beachy scent would be released in fall, but now I know why. This is not a summer beach scent. It makes me think of autumn and cooler weather. It's mostly a woody scent on me, with very little sea salt in the beginning. If you've smelled Kiehl's vanilla and cedarwood, this is slightly similar. It's warm and a good scent for cosy days and evenings. Maybe a beach at night with a bonfire? Haha.

Anyway, I want it!!

rafickw
rafickw

for a fragrance aimed towards the beach,nature and the sea, why in the world would you release it by September?!!!!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jo Malone London Wood Sage & Sea Salt fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Jo Malone London Wood Sage & Sea Salt, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone London. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone London represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.