Designers » I-K » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

smoky
La Liturgie des Heures Jovoy Paris for women and men Pictures

«Liturgy of the Hours evokes the image of an old monastery where the scent of burning incense fills the air just like the chanting of daily prayers.» Francois Henin.

Top notes: fresh, green, cypress
Heart notes: incense, olibanum, cistus, myrrh
Base notes: musk

Perfumer – Jacques Flori (Robertet). La Liturgie des Heures was launched in 2011.

Green Notes Cypress

Pin Mystic

La Liturgie des Heures Fragrance Reviews

gtabasso
gtabasso

A very sweet church incense reminiscent of Lush Karma with lots of myrrh. The myrrh and cola note is dominant. I like it but love drier incense like Annick Goutal Flamboyant.

ehsankasiri

Sillage: 8/10
Creativity & Uniqueness: 9/10
Affordability: 6/10
-----------
Overall: 8/10

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

Thick, heavy church incense - frankincense and myrrh mixed with resinous pine. Sticky and sweet. Dries down to a warm, inviting soft amber. Beautiful but I don't know if I want to smell like a Christmas tree in a Catholic church.

Q80
Q80

This reminds me of a worm woody concert stage of 1800 era. That dark brown woody stage with velvet red curtains and a thick single golden stripe on the bottom of the curtains. An Indian stage or the "Moulin Rouge" stage when the Theme of India "Chamma Chamma" appeared in the movie.
Very incense spicy woody fragrance.

gedlive
gedlive

I recently discovered and purchased CdG Incense Avignon, I liked the churchy Incense but it was shallow with poor longevity. So I sampled La Liturgie, Full Incence, and purchased TF Sahara Noir allso.

Avignon and Full Incense had the most churchy Incense, Sahar Noir the least, being mostly a Labdanum scent. La Liturgie I would not even call an Incence fragrance as I would Full Incence and Avignon. La Liturgie is the safest frag of the four I mentioned. I would call it an aromatic woody with a strong Incence note. It is a very beutifull fragrance, lightly sweet almost a dried fruity tone.

God bless you. John 3:16

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is one of those scents that I adore but have to be in the mood to wear. When the mood is right it's simply perfect.
The scent of mass incense is something that has always brought me comfort, even since I've left Catholic school and religion behind me. Liturgie de Heures is where I finished my hunt for a Catholic mass incense scent. Avignon was great too, but has too much of a typical incense sticks vibe, whereas LdH comes off much more solemn. Cardinal has the warmth and glow of votive candles amidst the incense, but no tenacity.
Liturgie de Heures opens with chilly greens, crushed pine needles in the snow. It is a clean incense in that it has a kind of purity to it, this is Christmas mass in the dead quiet of a white winter. Naturally it is packed with frankincense and myrrh but the myrrh is never really sweet. The cypress, very present in the opening, dies down to a mild presence after the first hour or two.The mass incense of my childhood was a combination of resinous sweetness and fiery spice, smooth and pleasantly cloying, wrapping itself around your senses like a blanket. Liturgie de Heures does miss that. There is no fire and brimstone in this incense, just a quiet, persevering peacefulness. For these reasons it is wonderful. Just right for cool Decembers and for settling disquiet. It may be one of many incense scents, but it may just be just the right fit for another as it is for me.

ANNAFRYS
ANNAFRYS

its pretty and cheaper than Armani Bois....d Inscence...little similar..but cmon...why pay 280 if you can have nice blended myrrh for 180$...reminds me smell of old greek church in Israel...as well Polish churches in may....

Le_Coeur_Gothique
Le_Coeur_Gothique

Unique? Yes. Bizarre? Absolutely. Wearable? It depends. I'm using incense sticks for a couple of decades now, but I don't like incense fragrances very much. First of all I think there's a huge vagueness in defining what an incense note is, because there are literally hundreds of different "incense" scents out there. In Christianity "incense" is mainly associated with myrrh and olibanum, while in Buddhism it's associated with more exotic substances, like sandalwood and benzoin. Not to mention the multifariousnees of incense sticks, which come in virtually every scent imagined. And as is the case with anything coming in a great variety, our subjective point of view dictates that there are specimens to love and specimens to hate. But I take it that "incense" in perfumery usually means a church-like olfactory quality, cause churches and temples are usually the places where this kind of smell is more likely to be encountered. But despite the fact that an Eastern Orthodox church and a Buddhist temple smell nothing alike, I'll take it for granted that La Liturgie des Heures is an incense fragrance the way such an one is perceived by Christians. All the more that it displays myrrh and olibanum amongst its notes.

However, there's no way I'll follow the "Why would someone want to smell like this?" cliche. Just because! As Latin wisdom has put it centuries ago, "De gustibus non est disputandum." Because the one to whom this question is addressed, could very easily reverse it and ask the one who asks it the very same thing about her/his favourite fragrance. "Why would someone want to smell like a cupcake?". And to be perfectly honest, I never liked smelling like food, thus incense fragrances have a clear lead against gourmands in my book.

Now, if Avignon or Cardinal smells like Bernardo Gui's religious habit in "The Name of the Rose", then I imagine that La Liturgie des Heures is the way Adso's of Melk robes smelled like. Pious, yes, but not yet pious enough to have every hint of mirth exiled in the purgatorial fires. It's the difference between an old, cantankerous and cold-hearted bishop, probably disappointed that the world does not understand his "rightfulness" and a young and sanguine monk, who still thinks he can make a difference. This doesn't mean that La Liturgie des Heures is a joyous and playful fragrance. God forbid! It just means that this aspiring novice enjoys equally delving profoundly into the ancient manuscripts in the monastery and quaffing a couple of pints in the local tavern. Walking the dense coniferous forests surrounding both in the meantime, and taking a nap on the ground every once in a while.

Oh, and for these who expected a Sean Connery association to be included, this emblematic Scotsman will always be beyond genres and classifications, thus Guerlain's Jicky will always do the trick for him. Monkish or not.

Vahagn
Vahagn

I love to go to to the church and listen a liturgy. Of course, the smell of incense is associated for me with spiritual purification and elevation, with an inner calm and focus on thinking about "ethereal", etc. )))
In most cases the La Liturgie des Heures Jovoy Paris after a very short green-alcoholic beginning opens as ALMOST monoaromatic incense perfume.
But sometimes it seems to me the brown-green mixture of smells of incense and grated cypress leaves. I hear from far the smell of resin.
Verdict (IMHO): this perfume is for themselves, for peace, for the concentration of thought, but not to attract the attention of the opposite sex or simply to "smell good")))

tonileefiore
tonileefiore

Ugggghhhh...I do not want to go against the grain here. And I love my fellow Fragantica reviewers, I really do. I HATE going against the grain here. And I do not wish to offend all the Jovoy lovers. However, I must go along with the neutral and negative reviews on this one. Awful! And after my FOURTH Jovoy try...I'm done.

Perhaps my nostrils are cluttered with my last (latest) Jovoy (Psychedelique) try prior to La Liturgie but I am detecting AMBER...again! Amber, amber and more amber! C'mon Jovoy! Because of the quality ingredients evident in Jovoy fragrances AND the staying power (longevity), I REALLY want to love ONE of this house's fragrances; however, I'm done.

Well, if it's all "in my head," than it's all in my head; but I swear this fragrance opened with notes of sweet, sickly, cloying AMBER and if not, definitely some sickly sweet, granulated something...some sweet gourmand note, perhaps. Trying to push through the opening, I felt dizzy with confusing mixed notes of God knows what...incense, myrrh, smoke, berries, jam, jelly, fruit-cake. I don't get it. I literally felt nauseated and as if I was developing a colossal headache.

So strong, I begged for the hours to pass and for this fragrance to fade. Of course it did not. After several hours, I couldn't bear it anymore, so I had to scrub...and scrub and scrub and scrub.

And f course...like all Jovoy fragrances...I could not get this one off. Finally washed all clothing and took a shower.

I'm done trying Jovoy fragrances :0(

fanny
fanny

I've had relatives, living in the country -in the previous century- way, WAY up in the north (with names like auntie Angel, auntie Bear), whose cellar and sometimes even cupboards smelled like this: ancient books, dust, mothballs and more dust.
Interesting, if you like that kind of thing..., challenging for sure..., but to call it fresh???....... O__o

And this comes from yours truly, who thinks Ambre Sultan and Serge Noir are fresh perfumes.

I'll give it another try soon, but I wonder if I will ever be able to erase that stained black&white (or should I say: yellow&brown?) photograph from my memory, while wearing La Liturgie des Heures.

Edit: def. a relative of Myrrhe Ardente

Edit2: I do like it, but not your every day perfume, for sure...!

Lana148
Lana148

Green, balsamic incense. Myrrh really stands out.

Light and safe, easy to wear. One of the least challenging incense fragrances I've encountered.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

A fresher, more balsamic take on the "catholic" incense à la Avignon, with floral-woody notes and a fruity touch, and even an earthy-mossy side. Not as fascinating as CdG's milestones, but with a different personality, which is still a good feature. La Liturgie is close to Avignon but "moves the camera" on the outside of the Church-ish ambiance, like wandering in the garden of a Mediterranean abbey. The incense notes blend with a herbal-balsamic breeze; the mood is still much meditative, cozy and mellow, just fresher and more "natural", less hieratic, less severe, but also less experimental and "contemporary" speaking in terms of structure. This is more friendly, more aerial, more "safe" in a way. The drydown is a bit disappointing on my skin, as it turns into an unpleasant, sour rubbery note, but apart from that, it's an elegant and cozier alternative to other darker and "bolder" incense-based fragrances.

Wow! Love the opening of this fragrance straight up cypress and olibanum and you pretty much know what you're going to get for the remainder. Yes it's a gorgeous incense fragrance along the exact same lines as Heeley Cardinal, Montale Full Incense and CDG Avignon. If you like any of the aforementioned fragrances then this will float your boat too, luckily I have samples of all four and have tried them side by side to identify differences and there are some very subtle differences. I have to say I might be imagining it but find this a touch fresher and has a different opening too notes. LLDH is of extremely high quality. Non of these have huge lasting power on the skin but do very well on clothing(as most scents do) I found this one to be much the same.
I love it...but then again I love the others too!

alberto1964
alberto1964

In church during during the Easter blessing ..... only frankincense and myrrh everywhere. Strong but very original. Only for lovers of the genre.

virga
virga

From the bottle La Liturgie des Heures smells like a pure and bright, clean, almost aldehydic incense. On my skin it turns into sour and soapy monster with a slight hint of mild incense and green.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This is my first impression based on a carded sample. To my untrained nose, this is another Incense Avignon smell-a-like.

Roge'
Roge'

Peee-U...The opening reeks! Only God knows what's in those fancy shmancy green notes. The opening is like some sort of perfumed Mountain Dew. Minutes after, the miscellaneous green is exchanged with full blown cypress...Big time metamorphosis and still haven't reached the middle notes. OK...in the middle I'm getting smoke juxtaposed with the cypress. Green smoke if you may. Cypress and musk rounds this out. All in all, the fragrance gets better but never gets good. This is just a bold and unforgiving perfume. I double dare anyone to blind buy this scent.

rum
rum

Would I review a fragrance beginning with its name? Probably not very often!!
La Liturgie de Heures, "the Liturgy of the Hours", a term used to describe a specific service in Christianity is a superb name for a fragrance that is synonymous with old cathedral buildings or monasteries, incense-filled rooms and corridors, perhaps even that annual visit at Christmas.
This scent is beautifully crafted and being a Parfum is incredibly long lasting. It develops into a resinous incense, with a smoky vibe as you'd expect from Church-like incense. The box and glass bottle are enormous, making this a great idea for a gift!

nada
nada

I only wish this lovely natural smelling incense note would be stronger,and with better silage. It is linear scent, only natural incense, nothing else. And probably it would benefit from something else, like the notes that are listed above, but does not exist in the scent. Basically, it is aspiring to be something, but still needs growing.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Incense and more incense...

If you don't like incense, then walk away and read no further because inevitably you will not get or say anything positive about LLDH.

I love incense, and if you are an incense lover, I mean, the type of incense you'll smell at European Catholic cathedrals during Holy Week, LLDH will appeal to you. But let's face it, there are already many other incense fragrances of this type out there: Avignon, Heeley's Cardinal, Montale's Full Incense, etc. LLDH is just another take. So what's different in LLDH? For those with a fine nose or sensitive to this type of scent, there is a little layer of "greenness"/wet grass/pine in LLDH. It is faint but it is there. It gives LLDH just a little differentiating flavor and makes LLDH less stuffy (moister and fresher) than the other incense fragrances I mention. If you cannot pick "pine" or "herbal"/"grassy" scents sensitively as I do, you many not even notice any difference then (as my wife doesn't...she perceives no difference between LLDH and the other incense fragrances I submitted to her).

LLDH is a little softer and more wearable than Avignon and Montale's versions. It sits right between the softer Heeley's Cardinal(which I find wearable) and the stronger Avignon and Montale's Full Incense.

It's got average projection, but longevity for me is just a tad below the average mark. But this is quality fragrance nonetheless. In the dry down LLDH get a bit powdery (dry).

I love it just because I am totally biased in favor of incense...me an incense junkie...

9/10.

Kain
Kain

This was my least favorite from the 5 bottles that I've tested so I'm writing about it as the last one!
This fragrance opens up with domination note of incense which has a herbal and almost light powdery feeling and a little bit of spices in the background.
It's not sweet or heavy at all.
It's just mellow bitter resinous incensy smell with some spicy notes.
As time goes by I can detect some kind of dark and almost smoky smell in the background.
It's something like leather/tobacco or something like that. maybe it's myrrh.
I don't know but anyway it gives me a very light and transparent smoky aroma beside other notes.
Projection is average and longevity is around 3-5 hours which is not that bad.
A good and pleasant fragrance and I like it but you can do much better with your money and there are much better fragrances from the house.

این عطر بین 5 تا عطری که از این برند تست کردم کمتر توجهمو جلب کرد به همین خاطر توضیحاتشُ آخر از همه نوشتم
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی تلخ و ملایم بخور باز میشه که یه بوی تقریبا گیاهی و کمی پودری داره
رایحه ملایمی از ادویه جات و فلفل هم میشه حس کرد اما خیلی ضعیفن
با گذر زمان یه بوی خیلی ملایم و تلخ که حس تقریبا دودی داره به عطر اضافه میشه
یه بویی تقریبا شبیه به چرم یا تنباکو که خیلی ضعیفه و فقط یه ته بوی خیلی ملایم دودی به عطر میده
پخش بوش متوسطه و ماندگاریش هم حدود 3-5 ساعت
عطر خوب و خوشبویی هست و بوی تلخ و خنک ملایم و خیلی خوبی داره ولی با توجه به قیمتش انخاب های بهتر زیادی هست

malchoni
malchoni

Beautiful! But I wish it was more long-lasting...

deadidol
deadidol

This is predominantly cistus and myrrh, but seems to have a lot of frankincense in it as well. There are some green notes for sharpness and a musk base for depth. The end result is fairly liturgical incense that doesn’t really distinguish itself that much from the some of the CdG line or Sahara Noir. It’s nice, well-rendered, maybe a tad boozy, but if you already own a few incense fragrances, it’s somewhat superfluous.

It seems a number of people have linked this to Heeley’s Cardinal, but I’d disagree as that scent reads as slightly soapy whereas this is more authentic.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Delish! Very similar to Avignon but a little darker and more smoky with a really wonderful viscous note of port or dried fruit as a flourish toward the end. About an hour in it gets a bit Christmasy.

Slightly more expensive than Avignon and I'm not sure yet if it's worth it. Longevity would make all the difference; I can't seem to make anything stick these days.

Edit: Oh crumbs, something just isn't right with this despite how lovely it was when I first tried it. On the second go it seemed sweeter and a bit gingery (like ginger ale), and definitely quieter. I doubted it would last an hour, but it sure has and some disturbing sweet undertone just won't go away. I put my nose to my skin and all is well, but just going about my business, this drifting fuzzy quality is almost like a fluffy feeling in my throat. I sniff again, seems fine, but a few minutes of sitting here doing something else and that annoying hairy presence is lingering, hovering, loitering. It's like a lint-covered cough sweet from the bottom of a handbag. Gag.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Beautiful incense with green notes - as if you were in a small wooden church somewhere in the forest or some abbey surrounded by nature. Relaxing, mysterious, peaceful.

new friend
new friend

عطر ساعات القداس من شركة جوفوا باريس
أنا من عاشقي رائحة البخور بكل أشكاله وتوليفاته، وخاصة الأنواع الفاخرة والطبيعية المكونات.
وربما تكون بلدان جنوب شرق آسيا لها اليد العليا في هذا المجال ومن أشهرها الهند وأندونيسيا وماليزيا ولا يجب أن ننسى كوريا واليابان غير أن منتجات البلدين الأخيرين لا تصلان للشرق الأوسط بشكل تجاري منتظم.
عطرنا الليلة باريسي الصنع اسيوي النكهة ولكن بلمسات أوربية غامضة فاخرة.
قد يدعوك اسم العطر لحضور المراسم الجنائزية داخل أحد الكنائس الأوربية الأرستقراطية.
ولكنني أفضل أن يكون الزمان والمكان هو أحد الأمسيات الخريفية داخل الشرفة الملكية لقصر كاسيرتا الملكي الموجود في نابولي بجنوب ايطاليا والتي تطل على هذا الممر الملكي الذي تتوسطه الأحواض المائية الواسعة ويحيطه من الجانبين النباتات العشبية العطرية ثم الشجيرات فالأشجار المتداخلة الأغصان، يا له من مكان رائع.
تبا لتواضعي على هذا الاختيار.
هل يمكن أن تتخيل ماذا سيكون حالك عندما تمتزج داخل أنفك هذه الرائحة العشبية الخضراء التي يغلب عليها نبات السرو الإيطالي الرائع المميز والتي تأتيك من هذه الحديقة الملكية أمامك مع رائحة البخور الأسيوي الفاخر التي تتسرب من داخل أروقة وقاعات القصر الملكي من الداخل ليكونا خليطا نادر الوجود والتكرار.
والذي سرعان ما يتحول داخل أنفك إلى إشارات كهربائية وعصبية تصل إلى المخ عن طريق عصب الشم والذي يتصل بالجهاز العصبي المركزي.
أعتقد أن المردود العصبي للمخ لن يخرج عن شعور رائع بالنشوة المحاطة بهدوء يصل لدرجة السكينة.
ورويدا رويدا تزداد كثافة البخور المنطلق من الداخل حيث بدأت قطع اللبان المر العطري والصنوبري في الانصهار داخل المباخر الموزعة بدقة داخل أروقة وباحات القصر.
قد يمتد بك الوقت قبل أن تشعر ببرودة الجو من حولك لتلتقط معطفك الشتوي الذي سرعان ما يغمرك بالدفء مع لمسات ناعمة ورائحة مسكية مخملية تنطلق من بين طيات الفراء الفاخر.
العطر شتوي بامتياز، وشرقي بجدارة، وروحاني بكل ما تحمله هذه الكلمة من معان.
أعتقد أنه يشبه بدرجة كبيرة عطر وازمبا من بارفام دي امباير لوجود السرو الإيطالي الممتزج بالبخور في كليهما ولكنه يمتاز عليه بوجود هذه الرائحة العشبية الخضراء.
الافتتاحية: السرو الإيطالي + نوتة عشبية خضراء.
القلب: اللبان العطري + البخور + الراتنج
القاعدة: المسك
الغلبة العطرية للبخور واللبان العطري الذي يخفف من حدته قليلا وينقله لأجواء لا تخلو من الانتعاش والشعور بالحياة وجود السرو والنوتة العشبية الخضراء بشكل عام.
ثم تأتي في النهاية هذه اللمحات الناعمة البودرية المسكية الخافتة.
العطر كما هو مدون للرجال والنساء
يمكنك استخدامه في المناسبات الدينية وفي أمسيات الصيف اللطيفة خاصة في الأماكن المفتوحة، وبالطبع طوال فصل الشتاء، والخريف الذي أعتبره الفصل المثالي لهذا العطر.
الثبات والفوحان حدث ولا حرج.
وانصح بالتجربة المتأنية قبل الشراء

magic gingerbread
magic gingerbread

Quite beautyful incense and coniferous fragrance reminding me somewhat Hinoki by CdG. Especially at the beginning when I smell raw olibanum resin and balmy, cold and fresh cypress note. This stage is unfortunately of rather weak sillage. Drydown is much stronger in projection, but no suprise in that, it is pure labdanum and that's the way labdanum behaves - here it's slightly sour, thick and oily, kind of like in Norma Kamali's Incense. Nice, but I prefer olibanum stage.

The name "Liturgy of the hours" clearly suggests a churchy fragrance, but I don't see it that way. Most certainly I don't see any churchy association in corniferous olibanum note. However labdanum brings me some images of deep, old catacombs from the early age of christianity. Anyway, this is not catholic catherdal type of fragrance like Avignon or Cardinal.

Straight forward, white-smoky, liturgical frankincense with subtle coniferous notes. So bright and waxy to result almost aldehydic. Subtle, simple, close to the skin yet, somewhat, striking. Very nice.

Rating: 7.5/10

robdre
robdre

very dark, quiet, woody fragrance. I'm in a church, after midnight ad outside there is fog.
the tree are illuminated from the moonlight...

rfablarage
rfablarage

I bought this flavor(perfume) during my passage in bets in the new perfume shop Jovoy, I tested some big flavor(perfume) but that there transported me there where the description plans him(it)! I really travelled, the promise had! A feeling of presence without overflowing(brimming) strength! I am not enough affuté for descrire the various note olfactive present (I invite to make him(it) for the "noses" of the site!) but for those who likes(loves) the sparfums with a soul, an almost religious sense(direction), me I was then touched why not you?
French version:
j'ai acheté ce parfum lors de mon passage à Paris dans la nouvelle parfumerie Jovoy, j'ai testé plusieurs grand parfum mais celui là m'a transporté là où le descriptif le prévoit! j'ai vraiment voyagé, la promesse était tenue! Un sentiment de présence sans force débordante! je ne suis pas assez affuté pour descrire les différents notes olfactives présentes (j'invite à le faire aux "nez" du site!) mais pour ceux qui aime les parfums avec une âme, un sens quasi religieux, moi j'ai été touché alors pourquoi pas vous?