Designers » I-K » Oriental Floral « Groups

Oliban Keiko Mecheri for women and men
dislike

smoky
tobacco

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. Oliban was launched in 2004. The fragrance features virginia cedar, incense, olibanum, tobacco, rose, palisander rosewood, tonka bean and ambergris.

Virginia Cedar Incense Olibanum Tobacco Rose Palisander Rosewood Tonka Bean Ambergris

Oliban Fragrance Reviews

dmetzger
dmetzger

Rose and tobacco are some of my favorite notes and I thought I would love this, after several wears: I just can't.

First off, when it is applied, on my skin it smells skanky and fecal with a hint of air freshener...a "lovely" recently used bathroom aroma of "shitrus" if you will.

It takes a good 30 minutes for the true scent to develop where the rose peeks out at all. When it does, it is not a light tea rose or a spicy-sweet masculine rose like Amouage's Lyric Man, but rather a deep dark damp black baccarra rose that is beautiful, but has a mildewed tobacco note hovering there that is the complete antithesis of Herod by Parfums De Marly or the syrupy rich note from Tom Ford's Tobacco Oud. This still has a hint of the fecal and medicinal that doesn't agree with me.

That dark black rose scent makes me weak in the knees in real life but here it falls just shy of "multi-bottle purchasing" worthy because of that dark musty soiled note hovering not like Terre De Hermes but like a weird bathroom attendant at a members only club, that stand in the bathroom as you do your business and offers you a spritz of cologne on your way out, muttering "good show" in praise of your bowel movement...and expecting a $5 bill for being your own fan section.

It's weird and not in a good way like Amouage's Fate Man. It's a 10% less oudy or musty, and more sweet pipe tobacco reformulation away from being a masterpiece. What a shame.

Scent: 4/10 as is. Reformulate with less poo and more pipe tobacco and it would be a 9/10 for me on my skin-and multi-bottle worthy.

Longevity: 7/10 easily gets 8 hours total, half of which is a skin scent at hugging range.

Projection: 7/10 for the first 30 minutes and then drops to a 4/10 from hour 1-2.5, then a 2/10 afterwards.

Sillage: 9/10 for the first 30 minutes. Huge train. After that it drops sharply to a 5/10 and after hour 3 it's gone.

Would I buy a full bottle: sadly no. Make a new blend with this kind of performance, and less aroma-de-dueces and I would buy bottles in dueces.

hadassa
hadassa

Fantastic masculine/unisex woody and smoky rose.

Warm, balanced, and attractive smell. Yum. Very smooth, soft, without any sharp edges. Perfect composition, simple but right to the point.

The rose isn't obvious here, anyone can pull it off. Soft insence, woods (slightly sandalwood-y), a touch of tonka (for a warm fluffy feel), a touch of slightly salty ambergris.

There's a considerable amount of cedarwood, which creates a masculine edge, however, Oliban might bloom on women's skin as well.

I'd love if my significant other would wear it as his evening perfume. It's irresistible

aistionnelle
aistionnelle

Oliban as the name tells is a kind of incense. But there is much more : sweetness of honey, rose and incense undertones. Underneath the first notes we can smell woody accents (cedre and first of all Brazilian rosewood) and some tobacco swirl .For me they are rather tobacco leaves ,dried in warm, late summer wind.
The scent represents sweetness of honey, richness and majesty of rose as well as coolness of incense. Main accent is created by intersection of white smoke accompanying church rituals and depth of rose and woodsy tones. Sometimes it`s not very easy to put some borders between them and it` s not the thing .Keiko Mecheri, Japanese painter not for the first time proves that in a perfumery world nothing is obvious .Oliban is a bit dirty scent, very sensual, with clear body element. A bit animal in its nature. All is changing, with the head evolving from rose and incense, through domination of tobacco and honey sweetness in the heart it goes towards woody –vanilla and smoky base. Balsamic and mesmerizing beauty!There is light and shadow .Warmth and coolness.
Oliban is somewhat close to Lutens` Chergui, but not so sweet, placed somewhere between Kingdom and YSL`s Nu sensuality.There is also something common with Avignon (CDG).On the other side we can find some light from Rock Crystal and smokes covered with orange flowers and myrrh known from Olibanum by Profvmvm.
Moderate sillage, some hours of longevity. Also a bottle, dark –made of violet glass attracts our attention.
Rose and honey incense, perfectly, softly finished.

TillyWave
TillyWave

In contrast to the notes listed, this is a very light perfume. I didn't get much out of it when I wore it in colder weather, but in the warm summer temperatures, when my skin is heated up, it works a lot better.

The rose here is really fruity and only slightly waxy. It's not a deep smouldering rose at all. The tobacco aspect is light--maybe a hint of fresh, cold, aromatic pipe tobacco. The incense and woods are well blended and wear pretty lightly too.

Now for the Olibanum--I only detect it after I've had it on my skin for over an hour, it is a deep grounding base note. It's one of those things that stop you--What smells so good? So resinous and a little sweet--oh it's me, it's my perfume. So it's not a super obvious, churchy frankincense note, but it anchors all the other notes down.

Don't shoot me but I find a lot in common with Chanel Coco Noir--the sweet rose, incense, olibanum, and woody notes working nicely together with nothing wearing too loud at all. If you want a subtle rose, tobacco, and resin/wood perfume this is beautiful.

agentj
agentj

I ordered a decant on the internet, and it's nice. I really liked the initial spritz, but it's been on for about ten minutes and it went from love to "meh" in that time. I don't think it's supposed to smell like pure olibanum, but more of an impression of it. I don't get any of the bright notes people have mentioned, just more of a dusty rose at this point. Tonka is my favorite note, so I was hoping for some of that, but no. I think I would like it better on a man, it leans masculine on me.

Update: after a couple of hours this goes kind of "old lady" on me...so it's become a definite no. Glad I got to try it because it was on my want list at one point.

alberto1964
alberto1964

Perfume relatively new but already a classic for the undoubted originality of giving the olibanum a touch of prestigious importance. Great.

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

Where is the olibanum??

This to me smells like a feminine version of Chanel Allure Homme Sport Extreme. Lemony, bright, sweet with a touch of blond tobacco leaves in the background, hints of rose and a lot of tonka.

Not bad, but the name is definitely misleading.

I burn frankincense resins at home and i have more than 10 frankincense based scents in my collection because it's my favorite note. And i can say that i can't even detect the slightest hint of that note in this perfume.

I can understand that the perfumer tried to do something original with the blend, trying not to make it smell similar to other Olibanum centered scents. But when you try too much, you begin to steer away from the main theme in my opinion.

The scent is pleasant but i expected something centered around frankincense, hence the name!

Guest_theperfumedveil
Guest_theperfumedveil

Another sample, another disappointment. This smells nothing like olibanum. It is blond woods and honey. Very boring.

archivist
archivist

This is a divine potion - it's the perfect incense for me, and I think I've tried most of them at least once (and most of those quite a few times). Sahara Noir is the ultimate mass incense, pure and simple - great for reminiscing about distant cathedrals, but not super wearable. Avignon is a louder cousin of Sahara Noir. Messe de Minuit is too lemony for me, but I like its warmth. Mitzah is a glory, but after a few hours it dries down to a fairly strong cat pee note on me (civet?) and it distresses me to think it was there all along, and perhaps painfully so for nearby people who may be sensitive to that note. I could go on and on with my incense test notes! But then one day there was Oliban - in the daytime it is fresh and airy, very feminine with amber and rose and the incense wafting around it like a halo. The opening is brisk and bright, the drydown is well-balanced, and if I apply it before bed, I always wake up with the most delicious ambery incense wafting from my sleep-warm skin.

roseombre
roseombre

An air of paper. Smells like the avoid plus a spoon of dark woods. Diluition of cuir cordoba.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Is this supposed to be just pure Olibanum (frankincense)? At first I'm surprised how floral and yet not super-feminine it is, almost like a spiced Gendarme scent. I really like the combination of spices, but then if this is just a single note, that means I like frankincense, and have liked it all along as part of my "just right" spice / resin mix. The middle is a bit too rootbeery for me after the florals fade, but also has an intriguing orange peel aspect that redeems it. As I smell the basenotes on the fingers I used to open the vial, it seems so familiar. It reminds me more of Santa Fe for Men than anything else (very sweet spiced wood), but most of my spicy wood scents obviously owe a lot of their character to this stuff. By itself, it's quiet and delicate, but I'm still not sure I'd call it feminine because it's too pointed for that. I also don't know what to make of it in terms of treating it like a soliflore or a composition. Fairly nice though.

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

A spectacular cult worthy composition. A sweet yet natural smelling rose blended in the most superb fashion with frankincense, slightly smokey ceder, honey, sweet tabacco, and rosewood while the tonka and amber seem to sit in the back and keep everything in order. I must sample the rest of this line.

Back up bottle worthy! An absolute must have for female and male incense fanatics alike.
Keiko Mecheri deserves a standing ovation for this masterpiece!

Longevity 7/10
Sillage 7/10

AveParfum
AveParfum

Nice take on frankincense--not what I expected at all. There is this waxy scent, like the thick air of candles burning in church, and it wafts all the way up from my forearm to my nose. Sillage is big. But the waxy and slightly smoky scent is mixed with honey and velvety red roses, making this perfume quite sweet and aromatic in comparison to other frankincentric (a word I think I made up) perfumes I have encountered. The effect is heavy and thick, like a black hooded cloak, a night-time perfume with a similar mood/ambiance to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. I really like this one!

SadassaUlna
SadassaUlna

Keiko Mecheri's Oliban is so perfect to me, I wish I could pen an ode to profess my love. Oliban is a point on a line between SL Ambre Sultan and TF Plum Japonais, and yet it is so much more.
Oliban skips the indolic butt-crack note of Ambre Sultan which is sometimes a little too edgy. And while the incense of Plum Japonais can veer toward smoked rubber tires - not necessarily a bad thing - the namesake olibanum in Mecheri's masterpiece is rich and alluring.
This is true love for me.

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

Smoky and dry like freshly ground coffee, not charcoal. Clear as a bell and crisp in feeling with a steady and fairly linear dry down. I never tire of this.

kabelaced
kabelaced

To me, this smells just like Feminité du Bois. Woody and a little smoky and a little warm. Nearly androgynous. But a scent to be worn when you want to feel commanding and confident.

opsy10
opsy10

nice and long lasting on my dry skin. first spray wasnt too great but dry down fastastic. dry down similar to michael kors men

antfarm
antfarm

I'm unable to really describe what this smells like, as every time I put my nose to my wrist and take a whiff, I start coughing. Maybe it's a classic case of incense overload. Not a bad rendition, really, but too literal to be appealing.

velb95
velb95

This is the first time when I don't like the 50% of fragrance notes (cedar, amber, rose), but I LOVE the final composition. It's really great perfume: mysterious, long lasting and attractive.

If you like frankincense but you're not into "church-y" kind of fragrances, Oliban is a fantastic option. The incense here is very similar to the one in both Eldo's Like This and Divine's L'Homme Sage. It's definitely remarkable and playing a main role but it's so well blended with all the other elements to never give the idea of a midnight mass or a gothic cathedral. Oliban opens incredibly beautiful and catchy with pungent resinous notes enriched by a slight peppery vibe. Rose, amber and tobacco make their appearance adding depth and some sweetness. An intrigant composition that despite its name, offers much more than simply incense. Warm, consistent and extremely charming. My only complain, if I can call it so, is that while the drydown is absolutely comfortable and pleasant, is still nowhere close to the outstanding and intoxicating opening. Quality stuff, anyway!

Rating: 7.5-8/10

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Oliban opens with a warm, peppery note typical of olibanum--not the sticky, smoky incense that some might expect. Cedar infuses to deliver a dry, camphorous clarity, bonding with olibanum to create a wonderful, clean, sweet woody accord.

I don't pick up a lot of tobacco, but a little smoky, honeyed hay. The rose in this composition is velvety and waxy which contributes to the soapy, spiced drydown.

Exotic and unusual with a light, balmy and piquant personality that I find appealing. Oliban is my third encounter with Keiko Mecheri which so far is consistently compelling.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I’m a sucker for anything with incense in it, regardless of its setting. Put incense together with the sensual, soft, rosy, plummy, honeyed woody base that Keiko Mecheri uses and the result is magic, at least for a little while.

Oliban starts off with a strong, almost smoky olibanum, aka frankincense, accompanied by a sweet plum note. The first half hour had me convinced that I need a large decant of this perfume. As the drydown progresses, the scent starts to stick close to the skin. The incense notes fuse into the whole so that it becomes a skin scent in the best possible sense of the term. Somehow, many of Keiko Mecheri’s perfumes have a drydown that is exactly the way I would like my skin to smell - velvety soft suede, dewy rose petals, Japanese plums, musk that hovers just between clean and animalic, and just a touch of incense. This drydown phase lasts for a few hours, but at the end it transforms into a dry, soapy note, the dregs of the tobacco accord, and what I could swear is sandalwood.

The sillage is moderate in the beginning and low toward the end. The whole progression from start to finish takes about 5-7 hours. I do like this perfume, but I would like it better if the opening lasted longer and if the drydown at the end were not so stark. I'll stick with my sample for now.

merilu59
merilu59

Gli amanti orientali dovrebbero definitivamente dare a OLIBAN una grande annusata! Ciò è finora il mio favorito della raccolta

"Olibanum" is another name for frankincense, and Keiko Mecheri OLIBAN is a seductive frankincense perfume. Not that there was any need to go out on a fact-finding mission to be able to report that incense is by far the central note of OLIBAN...

Tobacco and rose mingle playfully with the deep amber smokiness, but this perfume is mostly about incense embellished. Upon application, I thought that this was going to be one of a handful of pretty good incense compositions (two of which I already own). However, OLIBAN becomes deeper and more ambery as it dries down, offering a much more sensual and addictive elixir in the end.

Oriental lovers should definitely give OLIBAN a big sniff! This is my favorite so far of the Keiko Mecheri collection, the perfumes of which I'm finding use notes of extremely high quality. It is also quite clear that this house (unlike some unnamed niche houses...) takes sillage and longevity seriously--as well they should! I heartily recommend OLIBAN to men and women alike for wintertime wear.

Aalia
Aalia

I'd like to say this is an Oriental Spicy, because that's where itś at in this scent, lots of long lasting kick.
I really like the tobacco here, itś herbal and spicy. The amber is creamy and resinous at the same time. I can't accurately describe the notes because of the linear construction, and because the whole composition all together is just fantastic. Definetely a nice linear. This IS a great scent, but, it lacks something for me. It lacks a bit more depth, a bit more fullness. It stops making my mind swirl with awe...after about...hhhmmm....a half an hour. It really loses it's charm and force after a short while. It is however longer lasting than a Serge Lutens scent or an Annick Goutal scent. The longevity was 3 to 5 hours. It softened quite a bit at 3 hours but lasted a good 5 hours, and I could smell it in the shower washing away the next morning, and even that smelled good! Also, the sillage is excellent after application for one hour. It reminds me of a stronger and drier, simpler Coco Chanel and a much better Kenzo Power (minus the typical aftershave / masculine notes).

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

This reminds me of Nu by Yves Saint Laurent, but softer.
It smells quite like you would expect it to based upon the notes. A nice tabacco-rose-amber scent. A bit smoky, a touch dry, and almost mysterious.