Designers » I-K » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

dislike

I have it: 715 I had it: 187 I want it: 464 My signature: 17

yellow floral
Original Musk Kiehl`s for women and men Pictures

Original Musk by Kiehl`s is a Floral Woody Musk fragrance for women and men. Original Musk was launched in 2004. Top notes are orange blossom and bergamot; middle notes are lily, neroli, ylang-ylang and rose; base notes are tonka bean, musk and patchouli.

Orange Blossom Bergamot

Lily Neroli Ylang-Ylang Rose

Tonka Bean Musk Patchouli

160th Anniversary Limited Edition Original Musk Oil
Muscs Koublai Khan

Original Musk Fragrance Reviews

timventura
timventura

When I was around 9 years old, I found a tiny glass vial of musk that somebody had given my mother and she'd forgotten about - it smelled so good! I'd hoped that this would be Kiehl's, but it's most definitely not.

I have the spray, and it's definitely a women's fragrance. It's WAY to flowery. Why add that to a Musk? The whole idea behind a musk is that it's supposed to be deep, entrancing, and sensual - then to dump cheap flowery scents on top of that just makes no sense whatsoever.

In any case, what I think what I probably smelled when I was a kid was either nitro-musk or maybe even real animal musk, and it added an entire dimension to the musky smell. It drew you in & was quite hypnotic.

The musk in Kieh's only superficially resembles that: maybe like comparing the flavor of grape bubble-yum to a real grape. So perhaps this is a musk for people who have never smelled real musk.

ZBear
ZBear

Based on the mixed reviews and some reviewers noting a urine stench, I was really scared to try Original Musk. However, knowing that it is the go-to scent of Julianne Moore and Charlize Theron, both women whose style I admire, I was thinking there is no way I can go wrong. (Plus, come on, Charlize can probably get boatloads of gratis J'adore as the spokesmodel, and she picks something as simple as Kiehl's?)

I had sprayed these a couple of times in the store, and also sniffed the nozzles of the bottles separately, and did get an animalic, urine tone, but today I decided to spray on the skin.

I only sprayed once on my wrist, and I instantly now get its appeal. OM on me is a very clean, almost soapy smell. Sort of smells like white floral soap with a musky undertone... very classic and simple, and quite nice. I don't think it would go well in dressy settings, but for weekends or low-key every day, OM is a good pick.

It seems to have good longevity, and, as others have noted, 1-2 sprays is sufficient. I will definitely be purchasing a full bottle to have in my wardrobe.

hyoid666
hyoid666

I am so happy I got this. Animalistic without the complications and storytelling of Bal a Versailles, this is straightforward, sexy and warm. This reminds me of Chanel 5, except better, cleaner and more refined. It’s got that classic sense of style to it, but it’s not dusty. The flowers come through to give it a youthful grin. 8/10

ruhi_
ruhi_

This juice has quality. Besides, longevity and projection is great, but this thing smells like a 70 years old man. I dont believe, somebody who is his 20-40's would wear this.

SundayMorning
SundayMorning

A huge musky butterfly right in the stomach.
I loved The Body Shops - white musk in the early '00s, and this kind of is that Times' five.
Stays long on clothes & body. A little goes the whole yard. A dirty, sticky & sweet cloud that is hard to hate, with that said, this is not for everyone. Imagening this in the hands of a teen who sprayes perfume like rain, is horrifying and something i hope to never see or smell.
A must for a heavy musker.

laurniko
laurniko

Obsessed with this and always will be. The fragrance that kicked off my lifetime love/lust affair with musks and animalics. For years this was the only fragrance I owned and the only one I ever cared to own. Simple, sexy, if I were to ever have a signature scent, it would be this and Egyptian Musk oil. It sparked my intense love of NR For Her, a fragrance I truly adore and would make my new signature, if I were to have one (which I have tried and cannot, for I am terribly flighty when it comes to perfume monogomy).

No real projection, stays close to the skin but is so intimate, so beautifully unisex and human, and lasts on clothes for days and days. I completely understand why this was known as a love potion in the early days of the century, and I firmly believe its the one that kicked off the musk frenzy we are in today.

TAP
TAP

An utterly beautiful, naturally animalic and physical, warm and cosy musk with just the right amount of subtle white flowers to make this a true delight to wear particularly during the cooler months of the year; not too dirty, not too clean; pleasant sillage and excellent longevity :)

gtabasso
gtabasso

This has a little floral in the top that quickly fades. It is a musky civet yum. This is the way all musk wish they smelled. I love it but it is a skin scent. I wish it had more projection like Roja Enslaved. This would be fabulous to boost the musk in other scents.

Contessa01
Contessa01

A nice addition to my collection. You can add a bit of musk to another fragrance to add a musky base or wear on its own. Great for men or women. I have the oil and the spray. Seems to have decent staying power, the spray more so

pauroj
pauroj

i want to like it , i really do
but .....hmmm ok i tried it today and all i can say is that it reminds me of a yoga studio after someone has burn some incense.

so sad

lovetribe

today I tried on the skin and the parfum is very oily ... and at some point gives me the feeling of white musk alissa ashley ... that I hate ...kiehl's has excellent performance, unfortunately, part of the floral and especially orange blossom comes after more than an hour ...
today left me less convinced of the previous review.

lovetribe

a magical timeless fragrance. the spray has more performance than oil !!!!!! 10/10 clean, classy, suitable for endless opportunities !!!!!!! the opening leaves a little 'speechless because you do not know which direction will the scent .... after not oppressive musk and good flowers !!!

mystica
mystica

I don't know how Kiehl's Musk smelt when it was truly "Original", but I've tried a recent version most probably reformulated.

It was a huge disappointment. The musk smells too synthetic and cloying for an hour maybe, and then the fragrance disappears from your skin.

Overall the composition smells artificial.

Fail.

zomkung
zomkung

I love this fragrance, it's so classy with unique musk.
This is not casual fragrance and I don't feel comfortable at all when wearing on regular days. Prefer this for dating and cuddling.

LiveJazz
LiveJazz

To those who find the EDT concentration too floral, I strongly recommend trying the oil version of Kiehl's Original Musk. I once owned the EDT spray and swapped it away because - you guessed it - it was too floral. The musk didn't seem to mesh with the strong, almost soapy flowers in the heart. I saw what the scent was aiming for: that interesting but difficult to execute juxtaposition of clean and dirty accords, a la Kouros. But instead of coming together to make something interesting, the notes seemed to be fighting each other in the EDT.

Fast forward a couple years. I read some reviews of the oil that indicated a less floral musk blend. So I picked up a .25oz vial of the oil, and sure enough, it was everything I hoped the EDT would be when I first bought it: that rich, attractive, interesting and almost savory musk note comes into focus here. It is incredibly attractive and versatile. The florals are still present, but they're definitely subservient to, and almost embedded in, the dominant musk. Like the other oils in this line, it has excellent longevity.

The oil version of Kiehl's Original Musk is outstanding, and the price is certainly right. $25 for the .25oz vial of oil, and $35 for the .5oz bottle. Both oil options will last as long as or longer than the 1.7oz EDT spray.

otterfaces
otterfaces

Blind bought the roll-on for myself. It smells AMAZING, but I found it to be a bit too masculine for myself, so I gave it to le husband. I love smelling it on him, so dreamy!

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

Bold, dirty, sensual but somehow refined, classy and clean all at the same time. It feels very vintage while still feeling relevent. With the prominent ylang ylang and animatic base, I can't help but be reminded of a masculine version of Chanel N°5.

It's got bolsterus, big flowers - sexy ylang ylang, pungent lilies, and fresh neroli - paired with a rich, comforting blanket of manly, gritty musk to kept the florals from feeling too feminine. Together the fresh florals and animalistic musk make this smell like a sexy, sweaty man holding a fragrant bouquet of flowers. The accord of tonka usually deters me because it usually makes me think of overly powdery and sweet, but here it just adds lovely warmth and a toasty richness.

This is totally the musk I've been searching for and I am totally in love. If you love musks, then this is a safe blind buy, especially for it's low price.

dogmeat
dogmeat

This is now my go-to scent, but initially I did not like it. When I would sample it, I found it heavy and pungent. But, there was something about it that made me go back and try it every time I saw a tester of it at the department store. I found myself liking it a bit more every time I sprayed my wrist with it. When I started walking around, after sampling it, with my wrist practically pasted to my nose, I decided to buy a bottle.

On me, this does not smell the same every time I wear it, even though I always spray it on clean skin. I always get the orange blossom, rose, and tonka, but sometimes this smells clean to me and other times a bit more indolic. Sometimes I get a bitter note, other times it is more sweet, but it always smells so good to me.

After it wears a while, I cannot smell it, but just when I think it is gone, someone usually gets right next to me and whispers, 'you smell good...what are you wearing?'

I haven't tried the oil. I only use the EDT. A small bottle lasts and lasts. I think it is suitable for any occasion or time of day. For me, this is an essential...love this stuff.

AveParfum
AveParfum

My review is for the oil.

This musk is for those who are seeking straight-up animalic musk with nothing else. That's all I smell from beginning to end. It is completely linear. No flowers, no balsams, no vanilla, no frills. The price is quite good for such a musk.

Words that come to mind: Feral and ripe--as in "ripe armpit." I try to keep it classy, so I hate to say this, I really, really do, but it makes me think of an ass crack. I just picture those times on the bus, in the park or wherever, when I have encountered a man who is really out of shape, looks unkempt, sitting down, and everyone walking by can see the top of his butt sticking out of his saggy pants.

I would group this musk into the super naughty category, right in there with its buddies Muscs Koublai Khan (more floral) and L'Air de Rien (sweeter). I'm also reminded of Coty's Wild Musk, which is also fairly straightforward in its current incarnation, but Kiehl's doesnt have the honey-like sweetness of Wild Musk.

I think this stuff is absolutely brilliant. Awesome perfume. It will smell fantastic on the right person. I personally could not get comfortable wearing it in public. I need the vanilla, the rose or whatever else to be able to pull off something like this, but if this works on you, enjoy it!

mhobba
mhobba

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that up until the point where I stepped into my local department store and came across this charmingly nondescript bottle of Kiehl's Original Musk, I was not a fan of overly musky fragrances. I believed I actually hated musk. I have choked on my mother's overenthusiastic applications of Chanel No. 5 more than once over the years and I believe the only cologne my father has ever worn is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. So you may be able to understand how my aversion to musk came to be. It was to my shock that after spraying this, what I smelt on my wrist was so beautiful to me. There was no sneezy, coughy aldehydes or sharp spices, there was only this creamy, velvety, indolic bouquet of white flowers woven so delicately into the most stunningly sensual fur like musk. Just a little dirty and mostly feminine, but this is just perfect in my mind.

xesib
xesib

I just came from Kiehl's. I read the amazing reviews and really wanted to smell it first before doing a blind purchase. I think I have finally learned my lesson. It was not love at first site but it felt so nostalgic. What I loved most was the drydown. It works perfectly with my skin and I love that I can detect some citrus. They say it's a simple fragrance, but to me it is very rich and sexy. Love it. This will be my next purchase.

Edit: Finally, received the 'Love Oil'. I like it, not love it. It smells dirty clean. I wonder if that does exist. Also, it smells very different when I spray it on my wrists (more oriental, I feel like I'm in a Middle Eastern market). On my neck, it smells as if I just took a shower and came out smelling more beautiful than ever. I like it how it plays with my memories. Definitely, a keeper.

toff.tiozon
toff.tiozon

What's fascinating about this fragrance, to me at least, are the contrasting perceptions of it - to some it smells laundry clean, and to others it smells a little kinky. To my nose, it is both at the same time.

Soapy-sharp yet lush and indolic, it kind of plays on the Chanel No 5 clean-dirty philosophy, and does it pretty well. I really enjoy the barnyard undercurrent this thing has going on beneath that layer of fizzy soapiness.

Sits fairly close to the skin, but lasts a very respectable amount of time, especially for an EDT.

Great by itself, or as a base for layering other scents.

Oh, and the bottle is a beauty.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - musky orange blossom with a ylang-ylang tinge.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I didn't get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 12hrs consistently.

NZFH
NZFH

Bought this because I wanted to add a true musk to my collection. For me, the jury is still out on this one.

Comes out of the bottle smelling like old flower petals marinating in a glass of warm stale beer the morning after a party, a 1970s party, probably. What a strong alcohol/floral hit!

But that only lasts about 60 seconds or so, it settles down quite quickly.

Then I'm left with a fairly pleasant musk and honey/beeswax smell, with an underlying piss note. The reviewer who mentioned "honeyed piss" - I can see where they're coming from. I don't find it unpleasant though.

I don't know if this smells sexy or not … just a bit strange to my nose. I might get used to it, or even like it. Time will tell!

UPDATE: I haven't touched this for a few weeks. It now smells quite different. The scent has evolved. Not sure if it's my skin chemistry or the fragrance has matured in the bottle. I think more likely the latter. Now I'm getting musk, musk, musk all the way as the dominant factor. Less alcohol and less florals. The floral notes are still there but it's like they have been subsumed within the musk. It's now smelling more coherent. Very sensual and warm. I can't detect the separate piss note anymore either!

Rode
Rode

This fragrance, both the perfume oil and the EDT, have been my basic go to scent for years. I wear other musks like Muscs Koublai Khan, Musc Nomade or Musc Tonkin at times, but Kiehl's is my safe bet, the days I don't want to think about what to wear. Recently I repurchased the perfume oil and I noticed the formulation has changed a tiny bit; the topnotes smell slightly sweeter and fruitier than before. Just the first 2 or 3 minutes. If I'm not mistaken, these topnotes smell slightly 'happier', and definitely a bit 'cheaper', or 'more mainstream'. The latter is a pity, as I thought it was very interesting that such a popular brand, with stores on every corner of the street in western cities, still had a perfume that smells so authentic, so interesting. Luckily, after a few minutes the middle notes appear, same as before, and also the drydown appears to be the same old, perhaps a bit less longetivity than before, but that is difficult to estimate as I'm so used to this perfume and it might be that I don't smell it when others do.

steve0580
steve0580

I've been a fan of musk since I was in my teens. One of my first fragrances was Jovan Musk for Men and that was in the 70s. As time went on, the musk went by the wayside and I started wearing Obsession for Men, almost exclusively, when it came out in the 80s.

It wasn't until about three years ago, when I decided to start expanding my fragrance collection, because I felt it would be nice to try something new. So, after spending thousands or maybe even tens of thousands on designer and niche fragrances, I decided that I'd like to add some musks into my collection.

The Coty and Jovan musks are without question, the best known musks to men - especially if you grew up in the 70s or early 80s. The sad thing is that the musks of now are not the same as the musks of then.

Whether through company buyout or reformulation, Jovan musk is only a shadow of itself, being some odd smelling, watered down version of what I remember. I've bought vintage Coty musk and vintage Jovan Musk Oil for Men (frosted 70s bottle) from Ebay and I must say that I like popular, vintage musks.

Having babbled all of that, I went to a Kiehl's boutique and sampled both the EDT and the Musk Oil concentrate.

Kiehl's Musk is very odd and the opening can be difficult to overcome. To me, it smelled like a super concentrated, vintage Jovan musk that had automotive grease and an obscure, mostly hidden floral note added to it. Needless to say, I was not impressed at the time and would go so far as to say that it stunk.

I've read some people say that it's synthetic and linear throughout the life of the fragrance but I didn't experience that at all. In fact, I found it to be just the opposite. I couldn't pick up anything synthetic smelling about it and it definitely does go through development phases - if it didn't, I wouldn't have bought it.

Interestingly, I sprayed the EDT on my right arm and used the Musk oil on my left and found there is a difference. It's a slight difference but there's still a difference. After about 15 minutes or so, I'd noticed very little change, although the oil seemed to be more rich and appealing, as might be expected.

Honestly, I was on the fence about buying it but thinking that it must get better and at least it did bear some kind of resemblance to the Jovan musk oil of my memory, however dirty and slight. So, I said screw it and just made the buy, going with the musk oil.

Luckily, it DOES start to change, although ever so slowly. Within a couple of hours, it went from stinky to more acceptable with the harsh opening backing off, while retaining the slightly oily musk and starting to expose the floral element more.

The rose comes through later and according to the person at the Kiehl's boutique, more of the ylang ylang comes out. Well, I don't know about the ylang ylang. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what ylang ylang smells like on its own. There is a floral element and there is rose but it's a "dirtied" and perhaps oily rose. Since there is another supporting floral element and since I can't pick out what the other element is, I'll assume that it's the ylang ylang.

As time goes on, more and more of the dirty floral element comes to the surface, as the musk and oil start to retract a bit and stay more to the background.

I'd call this a unisex fragrance but leaning more toward the more masculine side.

Overall, this is NOT like Jovan musk, as you might expect. Only the first few minutes of the super concentrated opening bore any hint of a resemblance - after that, it's a musk all its own.

As far as projection, three swipes of oil from my fingertip was all it took and it projects heavily in a closed space, such as a vehicle but in the open air, it's much closer to being a low projection, closer to the skin type of scent. I'd call longevity good at 6 hours +

Bottom line: Unique musk fragrance with a difficult opening. It will take time to develop, so don't make a snap judgement based on the first ten or fifteen minutes of wearing it. Sample both the EDT and the Musk Oil, as you may find them different.

**** Update ****

This has really grown on me and I find myself liking it more, each time I wear it. The greasy / oily effect on the floral musk, which I initially found to be a bit of a detraction has actually become something I enjoy. I've been so won over by the fragrance that I ordered the EDT and was later able to pick up a bottle of the 160th anniversary edition of the oil as well.

Additionally, where I thought this was a low projection fragrance, I've found that unbeknownst to me, it's very high projection. Apparently, I become anosmic to it.

After wearing it to work, someone commented on how strong it was. Seeing as how we set in an half open cube style setting, I was shocked by this. The guy just across from me said that he could definitely smell how strong it was and the guy diagonal from me thought it was strong too and that distance is blocked by my set of computer monitors, another few inches of space and then his monitors. Basically, from where I sit to his nose is about five to six feet away. He said "We always know when you're here!".

I apologized to them profusely and tried to wipe as much of it off of me as I could with some alcohol and paper towels and that seemed to help a bit through the night. I told them that I honestly wasn't aware that it was that strong, because I had to get up against my wrist to smell it. I explained that in the future, I would be more cognizant of the fragrances I wear to work and try to go extremely light with them. Additionally, I explained that they need to let me know when something I have on is too strong, because I become anosmic to it. It was a problem for them but either they decided to avoid what they might see as a potential conflict or they were simply being overly courteous to me.

Without trying to go to far off track, this is the problem when you allow fragrances at work. People may be bothered by them but not say anything, so the person who's wearing them assumes everything is just fine, even though that's not the case.

From now on, I'm going to reconsider not only which fragrances I wear but to make sure they're ultra light or simply go to a lightly scented body wash when I shower and leave it at that. At least that way, projection will be very limited and hopefully, just enough to where I can smell it and none of my coworkers will.

Last, I apologize that this review is so long. Long reviews are typically a pet peeve of mine. I know I've written a book here but I just started typing and kind of ended up with a mini novel.

mnmlizm
mnmlizm

Kiehl's Musk Oil or EdP version in the rollerball is a clutch buy. It opens up on my skin very heavy and woodsy. I could compare it to a Tom Ford's Private Blends openings very captivating with a strong presence, but it very much has that squeaky clean Prada powdery feeling over the course of an hour that really captivates my nose. It works perfect year-round for the SoCal environment nailing a near perfect unisex scent that men and women could share and not feel to dainty or rough on either spectrum. if you're a man and you love the smell of Egyptian Musk, but find it to be feminine this scent kicks it up a notch to take it out of that territory. As others have said there is a depth of sensuality, and for me it lasts almost all day. Great for casual wear or leisure lifestyle EdP is a bit closer and warmer, giving it a cozy nostalgic feeling. EdT is rather alcohol based, and smells a lot different than its counterpart. This is definitely a underrated steal and a hidden gem for a perfect day to day scent. It's got a Parisian flair for sure!

My personal combination to kick things up a notch is Yves Saint Laurent L'Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum! feeling' like a straight up Saint Laurent rock star, bohemian, tastefully grungy, but exuding effortless flair.

Malonet9189
Malonet9189

....this was not necessarily a blind buy as i had sampled this perfume before but fragrantica reviews made me buy it.lol
On me, this tends to stay quite linear; musky and powdery. Nothing dirty about it at all. However, I noticed that on the clothes that I am wearing, the scent tends to be quite floral...how interesting. I hope that this fragrance develops a little bit more in warmer temperatures because it is showing potential.

UPDATE: Ok, so I couldn't wait for summer to arrive so I tried combining the fragrance with some of my other perfumes and Kiehl's can create some gorgeous combos when paired with the right fragrance. My current winter obsession: Kiehl's Original Musk + Dior Homme Intense (reviewed the latter and it is a gender bender). This combination is divine!

nero77
nero77

Beautiful Musk...

I use this as my standard for Musk. I love the way it smells, I love the way it projects, I love the way it "blends" with my skin to bring a warm, musky, sexy vibe.

My favourite version is the musk oil, but the EdT is great too. I would recommend the oil for it's complexity. Extremely good value for money in my opinion.

I get the neroli, orange blossom, lilly and ylang-ylang. All wonderfully blended together, before the musk comes out. The musk does not strike me as "dirty" in any way. It's human and sensual, but it doesn't stink or put me off. Instead I would recommend this to those who love the smell of real-life musk in fragrances. This is an excellent choice for either a man or a woman, and would make a great layering choice too. Try it, in my opinion it's worth the money.

Ditta70
Ditta70

I love this stuff! On my skin it leans more to the clean musk side, it is slightly powdery, slightly dandified but irresistibly cosy and calming. This is my new go to scent when I don't want any drama, any complication, any vintage depth and complexity.

Perfect fragrance for bedtime (and yes, I think it can be very sexy in a cosy, familiar way), or for some lazy time at home on a rainy autumn day.

My only complaint is that pretty quickly it dries down to a quiet skin scent and needs reapplication several times during the day.

RJ Watson
RJ Watson

An inexpensive and cheerful musk. A little floral in the opening with the orange blossom and neroli, moving swiftly through the second act of rose and ylang before settling into a warm, cozy base with a cleaned-up patchouli, a vanilla-ish tonka bean and finally a musk that's at all at once clean and a just the slightest bit funky - but never crosses the line into skanky territory.

The edt projects more than the oil version, which tends to stay very close to the body. The edt somehow seems to last longer than the oil as well.

It's a very easy-to-like fragrance and for that reason, I tend to forget about it - crazy, huh?. Historically, it's consistently one of my more complimented scents - I just need to make it a point to reach for it more often.

Overall rating: 4/5
Sillage: Quiet - Doesn't violate my 3-foot Rule
Longevity: 3-4 sprays will last all day.

bfrasier68
bfrasier68

This is one of my day-to-day scents whether I'm working or it's the weekend. For me it's the perfect musk scent -- dressed up with just the right amount of floral and citrus to keep it interesting. But at it's core, it's a subtly sexy musk scent that sits close to the skin. To me, it says 'come closer' without any loud, obnoxious fanfare. In my opinion, that subtlety bottled as a fragrance is worth a lot. Whenever I want to boost the warm sexiness of it, I layer it with the musk essence oil.

walking44
walking44

Mmmm this smells exactly like honey to me. Natural with the comb still in it.

sophiealbarn
sophiealbarn

i just bought a small roller ball of this and i'm totally obsessed. i think the roller ball may be the way to go on this one because it stays close to the skin, isn't over powering, is very subtley sexy, and is this wonderful lingering surprise throughout the day. i am a woman and it is perfect for me, as i love warm rich musky masculine scents, but i also think this is what every man should wear! i would swoon over any man i smelled this on.

ThatMakesScents

Updated Review :

I reviewed this a few years ago and likened it to the old egyptian musks found on the streets of NYC.

Fast forward to today as I am wearing the EDT on one arm and the oil on the other.

The smell of both is rather similar while giving the edge to the oil because it is denser. However both have now strayed away from the egyptian musk vibe IMO and resemble the same SOAPY MUSK as in Jovan Musk for women sold at Walmart.

When I tried Jovan Musk for women a few weeks ago I got amazing sillage and longevity from it but I don't like soapy musk so I passed. The Kiehls is a tad richer but the smell is nearly identical. You decide what you want.

I do agree that the EDT is somewhat fleeting after the 2 hour mark.

The oil has not changed in smell and it has been on my skin for two hours already.

GrandmaGaga
GrandmaGaga

My husband has worn Jovan's Musk for Men cologne exclusively since we married in 1978. As the years have gone by, we have both noted that it has gotten progressively weaker; less longevity and sillage. I recently discovered Kiehl's Original Musk Oil. By decanting the ridiculously inexpensive Jovan's Musk (an EIGHT ounce bottle can be found for $25 or so!) and adding a small amount of KOMO to a spray bottle, shaking it up before each wearing, it replicates 70's vintage Jovan's Musk for Men and lasts on him 10+ hours, trailing an intoxicating soft sillage of 5-6 feet. Heaven in a bottle...

syed aqeel agha
syed aqeel agha

best one...

Sherrywijaya69
Sherrywijaya69

Smells great! And it is good for mixing with other smells,all i smell is warm fuzzy clean-dirty-ish musk and a bit of white floral,dries down into a your skin but better scent,very beautiful masterpiece by kiehl's,and very affordable too! Definitely buying this soon

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

On first spray it’s VERY indolic, almost shockingly so, these days. It’s not the more leathery indole of Shalimar, it’s a real, plain faecal note. That calms down though, and the blend becomes soft, sweet, with a pleasant florality to it. Much more accomplished than modern Body Shop musks or laundry-type scents. This is the standard old-fashioned sweet musk with rose and tonka, as found in many Middle Eastern attars, with no harshness or acridity. If a scent can seem both powdery and oil-smooth, this is that scent. Just give it 10 minutes to lose that first rush of civet! And it dries down beautifully :)

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

Something about Kiehl's Original Musk smells retro and classic to me. I really love it.

I love the simplicity of this fragrance. It's well-blended which makes it smell sophisticated, yet relaxed, which makes it appropriate to wear with jeans and a t-shirt. On my skin, this is quite heavenly: a little bit sweet and very musky, warm and not at all powdery; a very sensual skin scent. It's also soft and smooth-smelling: no jarring notes here, which makes it very calming and easy to wear. In addition, for people for whom patchouli is the enemy, I found no problems with it here.

The sillage (although beautiful) is soft and the fragrance does fade after an hour to a skin scent; longevity is about 4-5 hours. PS my cat licked my wrist where I had applied this perfume... I guess he enjoys it too :)

UPDATE: This became a little too aggressive on me, especially in the summer months. I prefer this one in the cold.

ColdDiss
ColdDiss

Kiehl's Musk is the type of fragrance that really needs skin to sing its song -- applied fresh out of the bottle or to a test strip, it smells pretty odd: soap and potpourri and alcohol and a slight tinge of something nasty. I do smell lilies and roses and something dusty or medicinal. That said, after its had a chance to settle down a bit, there's nothing like it. Mostly it becomes very, very smooth, the sort of smell that could theoretically be a perfect storm of a recent shower, freshly laundered clothes, and fantastic sex just before leaving the house.

This fragrance is worlds away from Muscs Kublai Khan, which supports a slightly urinous musk with a strange but appealing syrupy-sweet cumin-tonka deal. I don't think MKK is particularly antisocial in the first place, but Kiehl's is very much less so. When I wear it people tell me I smell like laundry.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Original Musk by Kiehl’s is a really nice soapy-indolic musk scent, rich and straightforward, with a palette of grey-dusty nuances on the base and a luscious, exotic touch of tonka: fairly “chypre-sque” to some extents, as it makes me think of the drydown of many classic (mostly feminine) scents – mostly for the juxtaposition of musk and flowers, and the overall feel of dusty, slightly moldy nostalgia. More soapy than animalic though, so personally I didn’t think of other heavier musk scents. Powerful yet not tacky, on the contrary much pleasant and even quite refined. I find it intense and compelling, fairly dark, much versatile if you are into musk-soapy blends – otherwise it may be soon exhausting given there’s not much else apart musk and some flowers. The evolution is there, though: still musky, but progressively dustier, drier, silkier, always pleasantly “retrò”. I am personally not a fan of musk and this type of scents, but this is really nice and clearly a quality fragrance, so well worthy a try if you’re into musk.

Every now and then I smell this one from testers even if I don't like it. i like some musk, but this one smells a little fecal to me.
I tried a drop of oil on the top of my wrist and it's still going after many hours and shower.
I sprayed a paper tissue with the EdT. Ok, today it was not so awful to my nose, but when I put it under my bf's nose he said: Repulsive!
Not a term that he usually use for my perfumes, not even when he doesn't appreciate them too much (often).
I insisted and told him: "What do you smell? people say it smells sexy!"
he said: I smell catpee or public toilette.
Ok, at least on the dislike shelf we are on the same boat.

LisaMari
LisaMari

To me its like a good almost pure musk but it leans more to the masculine side because the neroli gives it an edge that is almost cologne like

qatarkind
qatarkind

It's very beautiful musky scent I like the bottle design. It reminds me of Mad Madam by Juliette has a gun I know both are different but the opening is same as MM by JHAG . After one hours it stays near the skin.

MissOctober
MissOctober

This is the good stuff, right here. I'm a musk fan, and enjoy it in many incarnations.
The top notes are slightly sharp neroli, sweetened with orange blossoms and bergamot. The heart is only what I can call gilded lilies and rose. A fresh floral bouquet. The dry down of musk is animalistic, warm, furry and alive. I don't smell patchouli at all on me, it's all florals and rich musk.

secamel
secamel

I love squirrels so I have decided to smell like them. OK maybe I'm lying but this is delicious and squirrels only wish they smelt as good as this classical furry musk.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Without being flippant, this smells like a dried piss stain....

No joke. Tangy, musty, honeyed piss. If you're confident you can pull girls smelling as if you didn't shake off well enough at the urinal, then I salute you. You're braver than I.

SNOOPY
SNOOPY

Goes on super funky!
It changes,i cant pick out a single note.
I like it because it reminds me of the incense my grandmother would burn.
Can be offensive to some so i would not use in the office setting.
I dont know what genuine natural musk was like but if i had to guess this would be it.i am very surprised many are offended by it,at no stage does it bother me.
Good longevity.
Something for the discerning taste without those prices.
I used to get Egyptian musk insence and it smelled just like this drys down.
It is really incredible reading how different the descriptions of this are.

Sanskilainen
Sanskilainen

Totally wonderful musk. Fresh and clean, still elegant. But what a tragedy... my boyfriend hates it. He says it smells of mould. This only shows how subjective smells are. With sadness I quit using this favourite. But be sure - when he travels abroad I will be rolling in this scent!

The_MiBo
The_MiBo

A clean soapy musk which is also quite...sexy. On cold days I get just musk, warmer days the floral notes come out. Lovely

stacia79
stacia79

Like a hippie's armpit, this is the musk floating through the air of head shops, outdoor music festivals and organic farmer's markets. To me this smells a lot like a baby's scalp, that powder and sebum combination. You know how after spending time with your lover you can still catch traces of their skin scent on your skin and on your hair? That's how Kiehl's Original Musk feels to me. Almost too personal to be worn to work.

jureureuk
jureureuk

I blind buy this perfume few days ago. the first time I sprayed it.. urrgh what's this smell?? it smells like toilette for me -_-" but when I smell it on my wrists, it smells authentic and the drydown is lovely but not as I expected. this one is not for me... T_T

mlleghoul
mlleghoul

I do think this is the perfect musk; it hasn't got that lofty sneeze- inducing quality that I associate with egyptian musk, and it does have a that tiny edge of skankiness, and an underlying bittersweet something that keeps a scent that is mostly warm and clean from becoming bland and common. Kiehl's musk is exactly what I imagine 1974 to smell like. Astrology enthusiasts wearing embroidered caftans, attending endless Tupperware parties. Now, I wasn't born until two years after that, but I am fairly certain this is the scent that permeated my early years.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This scent really forced me to think about how I approach the musk genre as a whole. I'd consider it unisex because the florals are more of the perfumey type than the soapy type. Initially there isn't much beyond alcohol, which for me masks whatever top notes there may be. The very sweet musk and rose (?) come through after a few minutes, but I'm surprised how weak it seems this time...maybe because I sprayed directly into a small spot on my shirt? Before, I remember it being strong and insistent, with a honey-like sweetness which to me usually brings a cloying quality. One of the notes has a cool sharpness, which cuts through and helps a lot with that issue, but also I believe it's the dreaded note that always bothers me and makes me think of wintergreen. My main concerns: is it too feminine because of the heavy sweetness, or masculine enough because of the spices and soapiness? Is musk in general so clearly identified with decades past that it will seem dated, no matter how it is tweaked? I fear that the musk genre is unpopular now because today's consumers have the same problems with it as I do!

klmnop
klmnop

I'm surprised at the comments saying there's nothing soapy or laundry-musk about this, as I get a strong laundry musk scent from this. That being said, it's a good one, and it's one of my most flexible scents for layering. I wish my skin naturally smelled like this; very clean. I don't detect a hint of civet in it.

Millan78
Millan78

Tried it today in my local perfume shop.
This is wonderful, very cozy smell!
A must have for me for upcoming autumn :)
Reminds me of Musk oil no 6 by Gosh I wore in the early 90's!

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. It smells very similar to MKK minus the cumin note. Average projection and good longevity on my skin. This easily is the best bang for your bucks animalic musk out there IMO.

raw umber
raw umber

My goodness.. I tried the KOM oil many times but it wasn't until I wore it in the heat of mid summer that the orange blossom really bloomed. This might be my favorite orange blossom in any fragrance. Coupled with the fresh animalic musk, it takes on a honeyed simmering quality that is just perfectly balanced. Late afternoon sex with the windows open, smelling gorgeous blossoms floating in on the breeze. Such a relaxing natural scent. My boyfriend sniffed me and said, "Mmm... orange blossom honey!"
It's love.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

This is such a clean, smiling, uncomplicated musk. I have a sample in my collection of notes of something called "light musk," which is only barely useful as an example of what musk ought to smell like. Kiehl's Musk has the dark and heady quality musk ought to have, but it's saved from smelling like some hippie's idea of an adequate substitute for a shower by a companion note of bright white flower. Easy to wear, sexy without being overwhelming, long-lasting. Put it on when you don't want to think too hard about what to wear for your date.

kl99
kl99

Between a clean innocent and soapy orange blossom & honeysuckle baby powder or shampoo for babies, and a prostitute in fur after an unwashed night full of customers.

I like the contrast. The perfume is, as said, clean and soapy but also animal, beast, axilla.

I have a vial and I like enough to buy a bottle but I didn't do it because, even if a friend of mine said that it suit me well, I wonder if people could think if I have covered my smells with some chic deodorant!

A bit old fashioned and luckily very different from the cheap and over loved white musk.

I think I'll Have soon anyway..

georgiacharms
georgiacharms

It's a bit powdery when I first put it on, but as it mixes with my chemistry it's a lovely scent. It's clean, sharp and I've received compliments for it. I've got the oil and I find you only have to put the slightest dab on your neck and inner wrists and it's enough. Quality product that will last you a looooongg time.

emily7
emily7

What MKK is for rose, Kiehl's Original Musk is for orange blossom - compared with each other both represent splendid musk, but are more different than alike.
Original Musk opens with screaming indoles (orange blossom) and from there is getting less floral and more musky. The development itself is not as dramatic as the clean floral and dirty musky notes are interchanging, radiating from the skin. All ends in unison musky - more clean than dirty - soapiness (neroli). Good lasting power, medium sillage.

The way I see it Original Musk is daytime, clear, transparent and soapy white floral musk, while MKK is nightime sensual, dim, dirty, spicy-rose musk.
To each his own.

(EdT)

Animato
Animato

It feels like a very dirty, but sensual, beautiful and unattainable person is in the room with you. Let's just say that this perfume will not be worn greatly by me. It feels like I have stolen someone elses signature and try too pull it off with sure failure ahead.

This is a flower, earth and musk- fume with BIG sillage and longivety. Starts of like a relatively powdery and flowery musk scent, but will become alot more hot, humid, sweet and naked. And it will stay like that throughout the day.

As i said it is super sensual. And quite suitable for a classy and confident (and naked?) person. Someone with the class and bravery to walk around with this wonderful aroma around them among people. You WILL get noticed. ALL day. Thumbs up for Kheil's original musk. A must try!

fanny
fanny

A "Döppelganger" for Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier, which I like very much.

Musky and stinky, but still on this side of very wearable.
Muscs Koublai Khan has more of a biting, smouldering character, which I adore.
Very good, but since I already own both these Lutens perfumes, I doubt if I will ever need a full bottle of KOM.

Perfectly happy with the 10 ml decant I have.

mindphaser
mindphaser

strange. i was expecting a sexy stink bomb but it turned out quite mediocre. Kinda like an outdated, old lady musk gone bad plus bathroom detergent smell.. irrelevant and boring, not pleasant.. probably just me though

instantjim
instantjim

I recently obtained a sample of this fragrance as I had heard so much about it. It retails at $70 Australian for 50ml, so it is a fairly pricey prospect. Is it worth that much? In my opinion, no. There is no doubting that it is a strong animalic musk, but it is not good enough to warrant the price. Jovan musk for men can be bought for around $9 Aus for 88ml, or about 10 cents per mL. Kiehl's musk is therefore around $1.40 per mL, or 14 times the price of the Jovan. I actually prefer the Jovan, so this is a no brainer for me. The Jovan has a bit of a synthetic/plasticy flower smell to me, but that fades quickly and a well-balanced fragrance remains. The Kiehl's has quite a pungent opening but settles down to something not hugely different to Jovan. Both colognes last ages.

Mirabele
Mirabele

It opens masculine on me. It also smells musky, animalic and slightly soapy. It quiets down after some time but I still dislike this one strongly. Public restroom note is a prominent note to my nose here. longevity is about 4 hours on my skin, but it dries down to a soapy skin scent after a few hours.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

I debated with myself for almost two years about buying bottle of this fragrance. I was scared it was too animalic and dirty to wear too often. Well I caved in a bought this beauty in the EDT version though I am now also tempted to buy the oil too.

The Original Musk EDT starts out a little strong. Considering musk is in the name of this fragrance it is the prominent note here. The musk is slightly dirty and warm, definitely not a white musk here. However with in an hour on my skin this fragrance becomes a lot more floral on me. I get a lot ylang ylang which I have acquired the taste for. There is also some undertones of orange blossom and lily. To me this is great combination of white florals and musk, balanced and warm.

The only thing that I'm not too happy with is how quickly it becomes a soft skin scent. Which is a reason why I am now also interested in the oil. I think they would work well if they were layered. Hopefully a bit more of sillage. Otherwise I am glad I finally caved and bought this fragrance. Having it my possession and wearing it frequently allowed to realize it is not that I can rarely wear. Original musk is not as dirty as I thought when I first tried it out and is quite a bit more floral. If anything this most likely going to be one of my go to fragrances. <3

tamarababa
tamarababa

This is soapy and clean on me, but it's also very affordable and smells kind of expensive on me.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

So there's this quote--I can't quite recall where I read it--that comes to mind whenever I catch a whiff of KOM:

"In Paris, it's chic to walk around smelling freshly f***ed."

Nevermind Muscs Koublai Khan's barnyard or Musc Ravageur's pastry shop snoozefest--if you're looking for lazy morning-afters in a bottle, you've found it. Great stuff.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

smells like Jovan musk but Jovan is cheaper,lasts longer and smells better than this.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is as good, and less expensive, as the aldehyde Chanel No 5. Really. It is! Though I prefer this elixir, for it's far more intoxicating, intricate, for its layers.

It's clean, smooth, elegant, and decidedly feminine - though aimed at both sexes, I wouldn't recommend it to a man, if I was behind a Kiehl's counter, unless it transforms on a man's skin to something crisp.

What I find, is all the balsam and beauty in Jovan's White Musk and Chanel, amped up to a fine note, where a singular, sensual, musk should be.

It really is a just-showered smell, and the sort to ensure you feel nice all day long. The additions of natural oils like ylang add that girlish quality I like, and an earthy vibe. I think one of the best points to any GOOD fragrance is its ability to translate not only from setting to setting, but person to person, and this is definitely suitable for a variety of professions and personalities.

It expresses a happy, nurturing quality. It is warmer and creamier than L'Artisan Mure et Musc, but they are very different interpretations of musc. Mure is shy, summer, fruity, where as this is much sweeter, deeper, autumn.

It's strength is not overpowering, but the sillage is distinct. It melds with the skin which is what makes it inviting, memorable.

This is one that needs to be savoured, like any sensual pleasure.

Someone below described it as 'low-key' which I think highlights it well - I wouldn't term it so in stripping away its obvious class and prettiness, but low-key in that it isn't so textured that it is pretentious, clashing too many elements together. It's definitely got the humble, home-spun charm about it.

crescentsho
crescentsho

On my skin It becomes very dirty and animalic =(
so sad. It's nice on other people.

Ql7
Ql7

I have tried many scents over the years and have worn this more than any other. I am at the bus stop and an attractive 20 something man tells me "you smell awesome!" I am on the elevator in the City office building and the distinguished older man asks "what is that lovely fragrance?" This is one fabulous "smell-good!" I have never, ever found a scent that I love so much. And, I don't break the bank with this one. If you feel that you need to proceed cautiously, buy the body wash or body lotion. They are all delightful.

yidansheng
yidansheng

Caution: try to wear it before you buy.
When I smelt this from a friend of mine, I was so amazed by the crazy sillage and mysterious sensuality the aroma had created. Musky, floral rosy and opulent orange blossom, with a hint of violet dazzled the heavy musky back tone. It is classic, a bit old-fashioned, sexy in a geeky and awkwardly flaunty kind of way. Magnificent scent on specific people, definitely not made for everyone.

Robo
Robo

I was standing next to a famous man who is on one of the "hottest" shows on tv right now. I could not get over how this man smelled...it was unbelievable. My friend and I joked later about how that must be the smell of "ovaries dropping and money." I read later that this is what he wears. I bought it of course. On me it smells good (it smelled better on him) I am torn between loving it and feeling like I smell slightly of dirty panties. I may just give it to my husband. I think I love it more on others. I work with the public and am just so preoccupied with the dirty panty thing :)

marioslg3

From the first spray, the first time that came to my mind is YSL Kouros. indeed the similarities of the two are great. Kouros is stronger and wilder but if you close my eyes, i smell the same thing more or less. I was expecting it to be more animalic but will give it some time. It reminds older perfumes and there is no way this to be for woman. is a pure manly scent.
On me, the patchouli is strong and what i get, is only musk and patchouli. The floral notes give it some kick with regards to the sweetness as well.
Beyond Kouros, the other perfume tha comes to my mind is Givenchy Gentleman....patchouli and animalic notes.
So, this perfume reminds two iconic fragrances for men, how it can be for women as well?
I dont see the Kielh's musk's animalic nature that much. It reminds Kouros but only in the begining. When the civet/urine note from Kouros starting to come up, we are talking for a different aura. Animalic fragrance for me is Kouros, Dzing!, Amouage gold man (although the floral notes are strong), Yatagan, Ambrarem but not this one. This is a strong patchouli and musk but not in an animalic way.
If this is what or how MKK smells, i'm disappointed. Try Dzing! to see a real animalic fragrance, woderfully created...it is light unfortunately...if it wasn't, that would be no.1

marioslg3

Bought this blindly based on the reviews, animalic quality and that is similar to MKK....hopefully is not feminine or floral...i want it to be musky and dirty in a good way, like Dzing!

nezi
nezi

I just picked this up finally a few days ago, and I'm weirdly drawn into love! I first tested this at Nordstrom and thought it was a bit too strong (don't worry- it calms down). I waited, walked around, and then really liked it but my boyfriend said, "It's good but don't you think its too masculine for you?" I was instantly turned off.

Well I couldn't stop thinking about it and I finally bought it. I have been wearing it to bed for the past two nights after a warm shower and it is such a comforting scent. I don't think it smells like "skin" (well not mine at least). My skin smells powdery/clean, this is a bit dirtier. It is dirty and clean at the same time and is a well balanced musk that just draws you in. So warm, wet, and highly addictive. Animalic with a touch of white florals. I must say I would probably like this scent better on a man but it is great for my alone time of relaxation.

Great quality musk for a great price!

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Warm bodily musk, not the powdery soft kind.

jozemo
jozemo

The best man made musk cologne I have in my collection,enjoy using this scent in the fall and when I get intimate time with my lady,great to use after a shower,the effect on the skin is powerful and fresh.

If you like vintage Kouros but want something less spicy and more "civilized," you might want to sample this. However, there was something about it that felt a bit "sticky," meaning less natural and without the greatest note separation. I think I'll stick with vintage Kouros, but this isn't bad at all considering the prices of similar, niche scents.

candieland
candieland

I am very new to musks but someone close to me suggested I try this one out and I am sooo glad I did. I feel like once you start really getting into perfumes and see some of the price tags that go along with those scents, it can be easy to write something off when it does not come with a certain price tag as well...and to me that is completely wrong. KOM is a perfect example. The price tag is not always an indication of quality.

Like I said, I do not know a lot about musks so I can't get into how "clean" or "dirty" one is but I'll try to explain the best I can from my perspective. At first spray, I noticed that there is a very distinctive floral note. To me, this was a bit harsh but it does not take long for it to calm down. After a few minutes, the harshness melts away and KOM starts to really warm on my skin...it is so warm and inviting. I love wearing this one to bed because it literally feels like I am spraying on sheets as the scent wraps itself around me. It just makes me feel so relaxed. It's soo good, I find myself waking up in the middle of the night due to catching whiffs of this smooth, warm, sexy...did I say sexy, intoxicating aroma. It's strange but there is something so familiar about the scent but I can't put my finger on it but it instantly calms me. Too, there is something very sensual about it...very sensual.

I feel this can be worn year round, day or night but so far it has been a staple for me mainly before I slip into bed. I have the best dreams wearing this and it lasts for what seems like forever, even when applied with a light hand. I can still smell it on my skin after my morning shower. I can see why this one is unisex as I can see it working very well on a guy as well. I have not layered this one yet but I can see how this would be perfect to add that bit of "oomph." Even if you are not really a musk wearer, at least try it out. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Spikekuji
Spikekuji

I wanted to find a more mature musk, feeling that I had outgrown The Body Shop White Musk. This is grown-up, alright. Grown-up animal. The longer I wore it, the more animal it got and the more uncomfortable I was. Alas, the struggle continues.

merzeng
merzeng

یک عطر صابونی خوشبو و شاداب که نتهای اصلی آن مشک و نعنا هستند. ماندگاری زیاد و پخش بوی متوسطی دارد.

williamvargas
williamvargas

I finally picked some of this up off of ebay.. what the hell have I been waiting for? this is a delightful musk scent. I used to wear jovan in the late 70's and I always enjoyed the scent, I remember I used to work with this guy that tuned pianos I worked in the hifi tv department..everytime he would walk through you could smell it, I think must have literally held the bottle of jovan above his head and doused himself with it we all joked about it but we all thought he does smell good, but too much of a good thing? this scent is the right amount of a good thing. very safe and just a great smelling musk scent..if that is your cup of tea I think you could pay a lot more and not be any more content. this is a must for me now. so whenever I am in the mood for musk..two enthusiastic thumbs up. great value. not to say there are not some great smelling musks out there but you would have to pay a lot more for them. consider this one if you have the chance. hard to beat this for the money.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Love it, just because it was my Ex's signature perfume.

christianne1
christianne1

I honestly do not understand the reasoning for paying megabucks for some of the high end musks when this is on the market for a little over 40 bucks. Its fan-freaking-tastic and is a straight forward dirty musk...yet somehow "clean". How it does it I do not know but it does it. If you love musk - I mean MUSK - then you will love this.

Personally, once the dirty ones settle down they all end up smelling so similar to Kiehl's anyway that I just can't see any reason to spend 4 times the price or more for the others. Maybe I just don't have the refined nose that it takes to appreciate the others as I should but I swear I like this as much as ANY of the dirty musks on the market at any price. It isn't obscene dirty or anything scary like screaming animals mating in the woods or anything like that. I guess it is the "safest" of the straight forward musks that aren't afraid to be MUSK.

This ain't no white musk that is for certain so I want to clear that up now. So, if you are looking for "clean" as in Body Shop White Musk or Serge Lutens Clair...or Musc Bleu...or any of the soft, soapy ones on the market....you may be disappointed in this as it does sort of have a touch of dirty. So, be prepared for all out musk and nothing girly.

This is 100% a unisex fragrance. Classic musk that is perfect in my opinion.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Now THIS is a good musk! I well remember the musk-mania of the 1970's - a female friend of mine used to wear it heavily - and I always thought it smelled great. But for some reason I haven't smelled anything as good since until I smelled this stuff on paper.

I need to get a sample for a test wearing for a day. I don't have any musks in my collection of fragrances; I think this will be the one.

Worn on my wrist: Initial opinion confirmed - this is a great musk! Good longevity - and is only forty some odd bucks for a bottle.

Update: I got a sample to wear and it's as good as I thought it would be. A very pleasant, animalic-but-civilized musk. Nobody will think you've just tramped in from a week with the animals with this. The best on the market. The only downside is that my wife smells it and thinks it's soapy, or like an ingredient in a detergent. (They put musks in detergents sometimes, don't they?)

Sillage on me is that it's a skin scent, like just about everything else I've tried.

jht4060
jht4060

Kiehl's Original Musk is a lovely slightly floral musk with plenty of civet to keep it from smelling like laundry detergent. The notes are pretty much as given by Kiehl's. What amuses me and prompts me to write a review is Kiehl's backstory for Original Musk and the perfectly designed bottle to support the backstory. The bottle looks like it could have appeared in an 1800's barbershop, though if they made the glass more irregular it might work even better (of course the cap wouldn't have been plastic, but hey cut 'em some slack). The backstory is given right there on the front label to make sure you won't miss it, and it is a riot. Rediscovered "Love Oil" vat from the 1920s! I am sure it is complete hooey, but it makes me smile every time I spray it. Among other things, in the 1920s musk would have come from Musk Deer glands and civet would have come from African Civet glands. Now both are entirely synthetic. Perhaps Kiehl's decided to "rediscover" this after good cheap synthetics became available to replace the originals. More likely there never was an original. You gotta smile at marketing or it will make you cry.

Without forays into niche perfumes (Muscs Koublai Khan, Musc Ravageur, Musc Tonkin) I don't think you can find a better clean animalic musk. Madini Musk Gazelle (not listed on Fragrantica but easy to google) is an interesting alternative but it is much earthier and has no floral notes; it smells like Kiehl's without the flowers and with a ton of myrrh and a little frankincense added.

Phoenix1
Phoenix1

Got a small bottle of this today at the mall and I gotta say...I LOVE it! It's a soapy musk smell that to me doesnt smell dirty at all but rather clean...Most OTHER musks smell dirty and plain gross to me but this is one you can actually wear and like. The dude that was helping me said that the musk in the bottle is actually synthetic and mentioned it was one of the first synthetic musks ever marketed. But to me this musk smells fantastic as a synthetic. I've never smelled animal musks that were used back in the day, but I love this "fake" musk. Very clean, Fresh and invigorating. Longevity is amazing and projection is also incredible. It is an EDT and you think it might be weak but I recommend at the most 2 blasts. You can go overboard with this one so take it easy with the sprays. You dont need a lot and a little goes a long way...

4 out of 5 overall

gmstrack
gmstrack

This review is for the 1921 Musk oil (roller ball).

Kiehl’s Musk is one of my favorite, sensual, sunny-day fragrances. The opening is gorgeous and bursting with high quality floral notes (definitely orange blossom, rose, and lily) and citrus (bergamot). The musk component is dirty-clean and I swear that civet is in there. There is also a sweet aspect that seems to tie everything together—the civet, musk, and orange blossom coalesce to form honeyed, animalic bliss. You can just feel the warm, disco sunshine radiating from your skin! This fragrance pairs well with Brian Eno’s “Here come the warm jets”. Tenacity is average (for oil) and projection is close to the skin, making this appropriate for several settings.

4/5 highly recommended

ComfyCat
ComfyCat

Love on first sniff! Kiehl's Original Musk is effortlessly sexy, laid back and relaxed, no matter where and when you wear it. It works miracles on my skin, on initial spray it's a little bit harsh and dark, but only seconds and it starts to develop into the scent of warm skin, still moist after taking a hot shower, there's nothing soapy or laundry like, just plain and sexy glowing skin. The longer it's on my skin, the better it gets and one little spray lasts on me for ages.

ThatMakesScents

A nicely done soapy brown musk . There is a little more to it but it never gets too complex or rich. It slightly resembles an 80's egyptian musk but highly polished for the mass market....no "egyptian" vibe going on here.

I tried both the EDT and Oil and the EDT out lasted the oil on my skin. It is now 1 hr since I've been wearing them.

It's nice and for the price it's a great deal but it isn't pronounced enough for my tastes. I own better fragrances that have musk as an ingredient. That's all the musk I need for now.

danielresendem
danielresendem

The first it's scare, then you learn to like, and like more. So when you finish the bottle you'll miss that..

peroxidestarr
peroxidestarr

A beautiful, soft, powdery (if not even a little soapy) musk. I'm a musk junkie: smutty red musk, graceful white musk, golden skin must, etc... This is very clean, very understated, effortless, really. Not overpowering in any way.

To my nose, at least, it appears well blended - I mainly pick up, well, musk (!), some of the neroli, and a light floral edge - the orange blossom and lily? But these are again a faint whisper, lending the scent a classy, delicate element.

I only wish this scent would last a bit longer on me. I have both the spray and the perfume oil, so layering does help a bit should you have similar issues. Beyond that, this scent is a no brainer. It wont overwhelm, as it doesn't have to scream to be heard.

Mick_Trick
Mick_Trick

Sampled MKK didn't do anything for me (found it too floral, I must be anosmic to the Musk in MKK, because my wife says I smelt like 'dirty camel balls' when I had the sample on...), sampled Original Musk, fell in love... Just a really nice musk, long lasting on me, I get cosy musky wafts coming up over the hours. Just a really nice and comforting scent.

Don't ignore this just because it's not from some French haute perfumerie. Well worth sampling and good value, if you've got a Keihls nearby... Quality stuff.

jchaddad
jchaddad

on my skin it smells like Opium EDT for some reason, but then it drys down into a warm fuzzy scent (which doesn't last that long). I wish I could smell the white floral aspect more.

Eos
Eos

Review of the perfume oil:
Wonderful, soapy and simultaneously musky with an animalic opening. Aside from the musk, I get quite a lot of lily, ylang ylang and neroli. I smell no patchouli, tonka, or rose. This is a warm, thick fragrance that reminds me of musks from the 80's. Many will dislike it, but more will adore it. Its cleanish but doesn't fall into the current "shower fresh" trend.

Imadele
Imadele

Citrus aftershave .. Otherwise the slight clean musk was nice .. On whole fairly simple .. I was disappointed.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I tested this on my boyfriend's skin as I was already wearing scent and this just smells ridiculously good. Smooth, intoxicating musk, even with ylang ylang and piqued with a touch of white flowers, but more than anything this is just musk. It's a hint powdery as it dries down. This is the best example of a 'your skin but better' fragrance certainly. Can't say how it would smell on my skin yet, but I definitely recommend men give this a try. It's very easy and versatile and still smells fantastic.
Edit: On my skin this takes on a slightly different character and, typically for my skin, the musk is a little bit sharp for me. Still a great, soapy musk scent, but I prefer this for a man. I'll stick with Narciso Rodriguez for a musk for me.

angel6
angel6

I have the oil and just got my bottle of EDT and honestly believe smell almost identical to MKK, but without the cumin that gives that dirt underwear smell that everybody talks about. I have MKK, but seldonly reach for it, but I think Kiehl's is easy to wear. I know that is not PC to say this, but I miss the smell of the real musk, when I was about 17 year old I use to get coty musc when it was produce with the deer musc and it was divine.

app9
app9

Love it. It's THE perfume for me. I like the darkness of it on my skin. At the same time it smells like home. It just works for me. And the boys like it. (Meow.)

I have it as an oil, too.

Plus ++ the bottle is pretty pretty pretty!

mse-21
mse-21

Today I found the chance to try it both on card and on my skin. Well...it starts loud and in a 60ish way. The opening is very crowded but I could easily see musk and some florals, which come to prominence when it settles.

I found it not to be something that I'm interested in. So, given the hype that I saw here and there about this one, I asked a couple of girls about their ideas of the smell on the card. Reactions were the same at beginning they were shy to say anything but when I told them I'm just trying this and its not a favorite of mine they told me it smells 'granny-ish' and they don't think of it as a suitable choice for young men like me.

It didn't last on my skin that long, probably 2 hours or so. Longevity and projection are not good.

Sorry people for frustrating review from me! Overall it hardly gets 3 out of 10.

BTW, I guess a the description here needs a correction: it was launched in 1963 not 2004.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Beautiful. Goes on forever, getting better with each passing minute. I wear this on occasions where I'm not supposed to wear fragrance, since I'm never not actually wearing fragrance. When I wore only one thing this was it, and I would frequently find unfamiliar women purring under my armpit telling me I smelled good, or they would stop me and ask what it was. A true ladykiller. I don't think it's particularly animalic, just radiates a wonderful aura of natural cleanliness that is alternately soapy and incensey.

deliberateangel
deliberateangel

This is an odd one and I mean that in a good way. I bought this in the oil form and find the spray is different. The spray is better blended and less musky. The oil is strange in that in is a musk and goes between modern and old fashioned. The ylang ylang and orange blossom makes it seem old fashioned, almost Victorian and the musk is 1970's and dirty. It's very floral in a hot, humid way and very waxy, balmy and dirty at the same time. Bergamont usually amplifies and takes over a fragrance on my skin, but in this it doesn't and is hardly noticeable. It's nice and I bought a bottle but not my favorite. I did get a few compliments from women who liked this scent, they both said they had bad asthma and this smelled nice and didn't set it off (both asked where to buy).

Ejlgsp71
Ejlgsp71

I have the oil, which I much prefer for its warmth and lower sillage...keeps close to the skin, stays warm and inviting. Always gets good comments.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

The body knows this scent. It is clean, it is dirty, and it is home to the nose. It can be soapy, lineny, clean, rugged, dirty, and bodily. The nose doesn't distinguish. It keeps guessing, roving, and enjoying the familiarity of the body's scent.

puddley
puddley

Dirty, sexy, filth..
This juice is pure musk, in that a spray feels almost like you've been secreted on by something/one. I smell very little of the other notes as the musk is so strong that it overpowers any citric or floral notes. The musk is both animalic and powdery and has the feel of a long gone off vintage Geurlain.
On it's own, to me, it's quite nasty, however.. It's a marvelous mixer. So far I've decanted my generous sample into teeny vials and mixed in essential oils. Paired with Lavender and Petitgrain it has become a little thing of wonder, as it benefits from sharp citric and herbal notes to lift it skanky depths.
I would certainly recommend it for those who enjoy playing with frags and harbour fantasies of becoming a perfumer (oh if only..).

hollycat

This is the scent I reach for as an everyday staple. KOM is like those really super comfy jeans you love to wear and they still make your butt look good.

Its not just a musk scent imo. It has many layers to it, believe it or not. It starts out harsh with what I pick up on as aldehydelic and sharp and a bit dirty at first. But as it drys the patchouli becomes a very prominant note, which makes this scent earthy and sort of hippyish. Then the musk starts to get more prominent as it becomes one with your skin chemistry and makes your skin smell very sensual with a hint a powder. I dont get the naughty stuff that people speak of. Its actually very tame on me. Not much on sillage either. Its rather intimate on me.

I have both the EDT and the oil. I use them together. I adore the oil, a dab behind my ears and neck and its just pure sexy skin. The oil is creamier than the EDT and doesnt have that sharp, aldehyde note in the top notes as with the EDT. I do detect a floral component, but its so hard to tell what florals Im smelling. If I search real hard I can smell the rose note. But I wouldnt know the rose was there if I didnt know it was one of the notes.

Love this perfume. I adore the bottle too, it brings me back to the days of old fashioned apothecaries. When life was simpler, and you knew all the local shop owners who didnt know me because I wasnt born yet.

mzfiguer
mzfiguer

earthy. sexy. long-lasting. can be either casual or more formal. gets you compliments. unisex.

vulpinitribe
vulpinitribe

I was making out with THE cutest guy wearing this scent.
So so so mesmerizing!

Ok, I admit searching throughout his bathroom to find the perfume the morning after… (Creep).

Later on I tried it on myself at the store, worked great too,
I really love the flowery, soft, musky going on.
It's such a clean and fresh SENSUAL feel to it.

I could see myself wear it at work with a chiffon blouse, or on a picnic with friends and some great wine.

Also I think I'm going to call that guy back..

hbomb9410
hbomb9410

I tried this on yesterday and it smelled like straight patchouli. Like a cheap patchouli oil you'd buy in a head shop. I couldn't wait to get home and wash it off. Even with soap I couldn't get it all off, but what remained was that lovely musk everyone's raving about. I wish they made a version of this without the patchouli.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

This really smells....amazing. This is just based on a sample from Nordstrom.

I'm not much on musk as a perfume. Back in the day (I'm so dating myself) My sister was on a very big Jovan Musk kick. I HATED that stuff. I was very young (like single digit young) so I think for some scents it just takes time to appreciate.

This on the other hand smells great. My partner isn't much of a fan but he did come around as it dried down.

The Initial spray its quite dirty and I can see where he was coming from in some of his initial assessment, though I wouldn't have said it was poodle butt! To me it smells like warm after vigorous activity skin. The drydown though...wow. So so nice. On me it gets cleaner as it dries down.

The musk is still front and center, but as it dries down, a very distinct soapyness from the rose appears on my skin. Why rose does this with some perfumes its odd but it does. I definitely get sweetness of the bergamont and tonka. There's a small amount of sweet to this, but its not overboard.

As it dries down it becomes much more of a morning funk musk. still clean but just that touch of morning funk.

I used 1 spray and being it was humid (I didn't want to do more than that) so probably not the best testing day for it, but I have to admit, I do love how it smells. I think it left one hell of a scent trail! So doesn't take a lot to get the effect you want!

I certainly see this for me being full bottle worthy because its really just that good. Hate to say it but the Frederic Malle Musc Raventur is not as good as this on my skin. FM Musc goes into a sweet territory I do not like, this one thankfully, doesn't do that.

This particular musc I can see layered with a super spicy perfume like Diptyque Eau Lente. That would be so yummy.

Its an absolute beauty, and a long lasting one as well...one I certainly don't mind spending the money on. (I already ordered a bottle...lol)

Karen.M.OShaughnessy
Karen.M.OShaughnessy

Ordered this from the NYC store years ago; liked it a lot but ended up giving it to my daughter. I liked it better than Jovan Musk.

Guest_Kharnak
Guest_Kharnak

indeed Unisex. MUCH cleaner and soapy than i expected. It reminds me of a lot of powdery Egyptian Musk oils out there, but this one is a little more classy and well blended. Very strong and diffusive. I don't sense much florals in this, except for the very very top opening. Then it's really just pure sweet Powdery Musk. This is no way a body odor type frag, i never smelled anyone who smelled like this.
*chuckle* This is NOT dirty.. and take it from me, i would know.
It's more of a very clean freshly showered body with lots of baby powder.. on a thick patch of black chest hair of course.
I notice a lot of Russian scents are VERY heady and potent, which i like. I think it's meant to project better in dry cold air.
But i LOVE this. I'll save for special occasions. This is absolutely Delicious. This is one thing i'd love to get a full size bottle of.
If it had more Rose, it would be an incredible Diva fragrance

le mouchoir de monsieur
le mouchoir de monsieur

You simply must take your brown leather cowboy hat off to Kiehl's for having the raw nerve, independent spirit, and plain audacity to re-launch something so dated as this in such a grandiose way: The bottle is superbly done, the atomizer is perfection, releasing the requisite micro-mini molecular dusting that's in order for a composition of this character, as, character, it has: One is blinded by the light as soon as it goes on--and fairly stoned on the vibe all day, and the best part is still hours and hours away: The mellow night time afterglow that lingers on and on is about as sexy as any perfume could ever hope to be, and there it is: The secret. To kill 'em in the evening, spray it on in the morning. The stale dry down is the main event, for a more mesmerizing end point you will never encounter. Very truly, an oil of love--and, as is the case with love, one wants, quite literally, to lick it up. Conceptually, it's hippie oil--in reality--it's a masterpiece of balance: Neither masculine, nor feminine, nor ambiguous, it just smells good: Smells even better without a shower. Two days unbathed, still works; a beautiful thing. You have just had a marathon session of love making, 4-5-6 hours--you're covered in your lover's DNA, and BAM: one spritz is all you need and randoms will be stopping you on your way home asking what you're wearing. You're on a road trip--you're just perversely toying with the idea of perhaps not showering for a week: it's your friend. A true "skin perfume" that makes the most of your own glandular excretions. Definitely not for the delicate wan flowers out there who "gross out" at the idea of planting soft, wet kisses on the top someone's bare foot. Funky nose snubbing warriors who walk on the wild side--drink--smoke--love a good make out session in a dark alley--eager divers into dirty, spotty sheets--wise crackin' hooligans who can kiss their way into anyone's heart, male or female: here's your scent. Don't expect love at first whiff--but be patient--this is the kind of thing that makes the finest, most revered masterpieces of perfumery seem stuffy by comparison. KOM, ironically, is very French in its total disregard for conformity: It wants to confuse people, and does: Definitely meriting of the word "Original." All the others mentioned, Allyssa Ashley, Jovan, etc--like comparing chalk and cheese. This may be forty bucks an once--but it's fine stuff. This may be synthetic, but it's effective. You are as exquisite as a full blown English rose in the height of summer--you are as dangerous as a renegade libertine with pockets full of drugs and maybe a weapon well concealed somewhere in your stash--you are ready to leave your conquest breathless, covered in sweat, and begging for more. All the while, you are a perfect gentleman, a well bred woman of means. You're none of these things and you defy description: You need a "third box" in the "sex" column. You're your own creation. You are Kiehl's Original Musk. You're insecure and you're not really sure you're all that and you need to try really hard to prove you've got genitals? That's when you spend for Serge Lutens and his MKK. You're aspirational and you love walking around with that Barney's bag? Bust out your Musc Ravageur. You're real and you don't care who notices, you just know what you want and go for it? You are Kiehl's Original Musk: Very possibly the only American Fragrance that would cause the French to become jealous. They won't admit it--and guess what? You don't care: You're too busy having a roaring good time. Spray it once--if you dare--and you'll know you're there.

cinsot
cinsot

A herbaceous musk with its roots planted firmly in rich moist soil. This thing is alive.

My favourite musk surpassing the cleaner lines in my collection.

Kiehl's Original fearlessly meshes boisterous neroli blooms with shrill rose petals, a feat I weaken at the knees for.

This is not a lightsome musk to my nose.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

It's a warm, musky (of course) scent....I have both the oil and the cologne. When at home, I keep it light and use only the cologne, as I layered it with the body wash & the lotion. It gives you a comfy, lay back feeling. When going out, I add the oil to make a statement. You must really love musk, to experiment with this one.

johngreenink
johngreenink

Tried this for the first time today, and it's fantastic. It's a strong but creamy, luscious kind of musk that has a very long trail. A very sensuous scent, not smelling at all artificial or contrived, deep and luxurious. I'm not a fan of musk scents, so I was prepared to find this bland, but I really love it.

I also detect just a hint of vanilla in here - it may be from the tonka bean/ benzoin (which has it's own hint of vanilla) but it's decidedly not gourmand.

You can get this for under US $45.00 and it smells as though it's much more expensive. Highly recommended.

I tried it again and again from testers and everytime it smells dirty, so unclean to my nose! I got used to it but I cannot wear it now.
It probably changes a lot according to skin chemistry. On me it and from the bottle I smell an almost fecal edge like public toilets not really strong like other skanky scents but it's there and it makes me feel too conscious about myself when I have it on. This happened with old oil in the brown bottle and with modern EdT.
I hear so many good reviews about this one and everytime I wonder if I have a bizarre nose!
"Love Oil" is a great marketing call and indeed many people think it is a sexy perfume.
It's very long lasting, if you like it it's a plus.
For reference I like NR EdT which is very musky but not skanky and I don't like Muscs Koublai Khan for same reasons even if that's a much better made skank!
I suppose you need to like the kind to appreciate all of them.

Aubynik
Aubynik

It smells too clean! My skin pulls out much more floral than musk. I simply find that this isn't dark enough for my liking as I like musk when I'm feeling femme fatal-ish and super sexy. You know, something to go along with the mood...NOT florals.

But...this might be good for somebody interested in trying musk as this is a pretty simple and plesant.

The poor men Muscs Koublai Kahn. Much more simpler, linear and surely more approachable than the Lutens (which in this case means less animalic and less compelling) but still one of the best bang for the buck when it comes to dark muscs. Great longevity but poor sillage. Good.

melia
melia

The first musk fragrance I actually really like! I tested it in a Kiehl's shop in Paris, without expecting anything too much. But I was pleasantly surprised. It had something interesting that kept me sniffing, and then I understood why it's said that musk is a 'sexy' note. I know this is a good one to layer too with other fumes to give it more dept and a bit 'oomph'. Nice job Kiehl's!

Bandit
Bandit

This is a very beautiful musk scent. If you are into musk, especially the bold ones, you have to try this one. Y-o-u h-a-v-e t-o. DO IT.

I don't like it on me, had it for a while and let it go, after never wearing it.

I think, that a male would smell tremendous with it, although I like the genderbending, too. It is very perfumery, though, every male should be aware of that.

jtd
jtd

I think this musk is bought mostly by Kiehl’s shoppers and not so much the perfume hobbyists. Too bad, because this stuff is wonderful. I have 3 musk-based fragrances: Serge Lutens’ Muscs Koublai Khan, Annick Goutal’s Musc Nomade, and Kiehl’s Original Musk Blend No 1 (edt.) I love them all. The Kiehl’s is a nice balance of skin-funk, florals and that sweetness of musk that seems fruity but isn’t. And while MKK is clearly the rawest of the bunch, Kiehl’s is the most skin-like in that it actually smells like your lover’s scalp.

A caveat. I don’t get much ‘dirty’ from most musk fragrances. I could be anosmic to that aspect of musk, or more likely I could just have a different chain of associations than some others do. Many musks have a bodily smell, but it’s largely clean. Not antiseptic. A clean body has a smell. Actually it has a bunch. But musk carries a skin sweetness that has none of the dirty, salty or acidic that I associate with old sweat or uncleanliness. Kiehl’s has more of this body aspect than either of the others to me. And it speaks to that simple intimacy of being physically close to somebody. This is not the scent for people who wear perfume as a masking fragrance.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Does anyone remember getting their Dad's can of shaving cream, spraying a wobbling dollop into your palm, and then CLAPPING your hands? Do you remember that scent?

Well, it smells a lot like that to me.

Lately, several perfumes have been reminding me of men's shaving foam, or men's hair gel (circa 1960s). I don't know why this is...

Anyway, this one's no exception.

The reviewers who note how "clean" it smells, are right: it does smell clean, in a "goat's-milk-soap" sorta way. I'm glad I sampled it.

Anissa
Anissa

This is the most horrible smell on my skin ever!!!Smells like cat urine.This really doesn`t work with my body chemistry.I waited 3 hours that this would change on my skin,but nothing happened. Very strong cat p smell. :(

spoombung
spoombung

I've owned this for nearly a year and although I like it a little bit I can't really enthuse about it too much. It never seems to be sufficiently interesting or captivating enough on it's own and I find the natural temptation is to layer something else with it.

Like most musks it's smell can sometimes mysteriously disappear then reappear again hours later but the problem I have with it is I don't find the middle and top notes particularly interesting: in fact they're a bit boring - hence the temptation to layer something else with it.

I find a fragrance like Muscs Koublai Khan (which it is sometimes compared to) works much better because of it's complexity, structure and attention to elements other than the musk. The Kiehl's follows a slightly crude and ultimately unsatisfactory mono theme in comparison.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

It smells dated like something hippies used in the swinging sixties. lol......It's not bad but I cannot wear it. Peace man.

kdlehr
kdlehr

got this one this week and at first thought Oh nice another barbers scent hey man there is so much more to it a beautiful patchouli with some citrus and delicate floral tones a little feminine perhaps but just right for a gentlemen about town.
I love it now. It has a calming effect on me, i feel fresh and clean and love to use it after a stint in the gym.
Just a lovely well balanced fragrance that gets me noted everywhere I go in a positive way and easy on the wallet too. what more could you want.

update:
from all the different perfumes I was wearing in the last 2 month this one is the only one where I got several positive comments . Nice one I need another bottle

Grottola
Grottola

I have the Eau de Toilette.

Kiehl's Musk is the best musk I've tried so far. Warm, rich, smooth, and bearing a hint of sexual animalism. The musk in it is probably synthetic, for the most part, now but it still retains the main purpose of musk in a fragrance - fleshy warmth.

pureblonde
pureblonde

I had been looking forward to testing this one and finally received my sample today.
The opening for me smells straight up like floral soap though nothing unpleasant.
Eventually the musk becomes more prominent while the floral notes meld in to the background and slowly fade away. The ending drydown is very much musky and warm and I have to say, this is probably the best part for me.
Overall, this is a lovely clean smelling fragrance that stays close to the skin. Perfect for work or days when you want to smell nice but not necessarily like perfume.
I will certainly finish my sample and by then will know whether to purchase a full bottle. Perhaps come summer I will be desiring for something just like this.

2whit2quit
2whit2quit

I had a sample vial of this perfume. I didn't care for it so I gave the sample to a coworker. One day several after that, I smelled this really beautiful yet masculine fragrance...It was the sample I had given away, and I was in love. I almost immediately went out and purchased my own full sized bottle! I have never smelled anything so great. Every note, every layer perfectly blended to create my absolute favorite perfume. If I only could pick one..this is it! I have changed "musk haters" mind's after smelling how beautifully this melts into the skin and smells pleasantly different on everyone. I spray it on the back of my neck before bed and by the time I wake up, the musk has settled into this powdery and very clean smell that captures your senses all over again. I truly cannot say enough good things about this fragrance. mmmmm mm.

Akahina
Akahina

Review for the Original Musk Oil:

Nice an musky with a bit of sweetness to it, maybe a little bit like an old barbershop. A really beautiful and I believe close to the skin scent.

Today I went out and tried Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan on one arm and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan in the other trying to decide which I liked better. Later I went to the Kiehl's store in my city to try this oil. I was surprised to find that this Musk Oil is very, very similar to Muscs Koublai Khan! So similar that it was a no brainer to buy the 7ml roll on bottle of this. And even better they were having a sale today (15% off and profits going to AIDS research).

If you like a nice sweet musk, just buy this. You can't go wrong here.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

Update: I really love it now. At first I thought it was just too too lacking in complexity to be really good; I didn't discover any complexity I'd missed before, just that it is wonderful anyway. Clean and fresh and easy to wear...after the initial extreme raunchiness wears off. Some things just really work and are impossible not to love and this is one. Great for work and other places where you don't want to smell too strong. It actually does have a lot of elements that never make themselves known individually: when I smell the inside of the box there's definitely a faint rose.

It's incredibly hard to take at first but becomes clean-smelling and nice pretty quickly. Reminds me a lot of the old Houbigant musk that my aunt used to wear in the 70s which was inexpensive and really pleasant.

possumke
possumke

Just got my bottle today, and I am thrilled to bits.
I think this is one of the best musks out there. Yes it is very strong at first, and as some have said before me; "A little funky..." to start with, but the dry down is indeed gorgeous. I love orange blossom, and here I think it saves the musk from becoming too "dirty" or leaning too much to the masculine side. I find it is a warm and comforting scent. However I think it looks "odd" in my perfume collection, and I believe they should consider re-packaging this beauty into a nicer bottle, I don't really like all the writing all over it which makes it look cheaper than it should.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

A very clean, almost soapy musk on me. It's very angelic, and I was looking for a slightly more animalic musk, but it's pleasant and very long lasting. I think I'd prefer this as a body lotion than fragrance.

hapa
hapa

I have had this in the edt spray and the oil and find the latter preferable. There is something about the spray that is never right: it is cooler and lacks the depth of the oil. The oil is a fabulous warm, sexy musk and NOT dirty like the Tom Ford Urban Musk one. This is sexy but way more subtle. The neroli, ylang ylang and orange blossom make this musk so damn inviting but not floral and girly. It is the most perfect musk. (I never smell the patchouli, which is what makes it so perfect!)

cloyd42
cloyd42

No attempt to sissify or hide the musk in this juice which is a pleasant change from many so-called musk perfumes. This opens with orange blossom and musk right away. After half an hour I get a lot of rose and patchouli but no lily. After another half hour it reverts to musk-neroli-orange blossom, which I'm enjoying right now.

The vibe here is definitely a bit grungy, a lot sexy. If this was really originally made in the 1920's I suspect even someone who liked Tabac Blond would have paused for a minute. Red velvet and garter belts. If you're mischievous this would be a fun scent to wear on your last day of work somewhere.

Sillage: 4-5 feet, you'll get noticed on the subway
Durability: 3 hours so far
Fabulosity: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Price to value ratio: reasonable

LuzForm
LuzForm

After reading a review that Original Musk is a cheaper alternative to Musc Bleu, I decided to head to the Kiehl's store to acquire a sample. Since they didn't give them out, I sprayed a lot all over me to see if it will work on me. I have to say, the top notes come off dirtier or spicier than Musc Bleu and I wasn't too excited so I didn't buy it. But in the dry down, this wonderful clean scent lingers and it is divine. It's not soapy; musk still remains, but it manages to smell fresh. Now, I wish I bought it!

EDIT: I finally purchased this, and wearing it now. It is so fresh and I'm completely happy with this purchase.

oyster_horace
oyster_horace

strong and harsh opening that smells like a toilet.... or a wet dog........

but after an hour
the dry down is the cleanest scent i've ever smelled

it's fresh and simultaneously warm
musky and powdery(actually not that powdery)
a BEAUTIFUL skin scent

i wonder if the oil is nicer, as i believe it would go straight to the clean musky dry down

the best time to wear it is definitely spring, the moist moderate air would soften the top

sofiii
sofiii

Kiehls Original Musk(EDT) is an instant love of mine. It starts with the inky musk and ylang ylang scent, which is drizzling gorgeous; it is like a polite, but ultra seductive, beautiful and intelligent mistress. It is my wonderful inky musk dry down Holy Grail (If you love the dry down of Jeanne Lanvin by Lanvin, Original Musk is all the Jeanne Lanvin dry down on me, but with a slightly more inky-ness).

The scent is quite linear, with the ylang ylang gets more tamed, and the whole scent blends more and more comfortably onto your skin.

I can see myself wearing it any time during the year, in fact, now it's 26+ degrees summer here, and I'm having Original Musk on; it doesn't smell cloying or headache-inducing at all, somewhat the ink-y smell is quite multi-faced.

Apply with a light hand in summer, two sprays will be enough.

Highly recommond to anyone who's looking for a nice, clean musk scnet.

MeganElizabeth
MeganElizabeth

love this...it lasts forever on me!! It starts out really strong at first, but dries down to an amazing sexy musk.

Plus, I originally bought this in Vancouver on a business trip, so now, whenever I wear it, I'm reminded of Vancouver in the spring.

Hmm... There are so many ingredients but I only smell musk. Plain old musk but a really nice one. It's a little sweet with greasy and earthy patchouli. It smells like Egyptian Musk actually but Kiehls is more expensive. If anyone wanna knows how musk smells, try this and you will see. For me, it's not something I would want anymore. Kiehls essential oil might be a better choice.

@Melancholy Child. I agree with ya. The oil is actually better. I smelled it, but I didn't get to try it. :(

merilu59
merilu59

hai ragione ha poca persistenza

marinadina
marinadina

Veryyyy nice musk,, shame it lasts about ten min-if that- on my skin!!!!

This is possibly one of the most delicious musks I've ever tried. Forget Narciso Rodriguez for Her, Kiehl's simplistic musk takes the cake.

Opening quite feminine and fragile on the skin, Kiehl's Original Musk is a mixture of soapy powder and delicate florals, with only a subtle spiciness underneath it all.

It's sexy in a very clean and crisp sense. I imagine it to be something you'd wear while curled up near a fire on a warm rug next to your lover who whispers sweet love poems into your ear. To put it in basic terms, Original Musk is sexy in a strict, conservative way, that tends to be more romantic than wild or exotic.

There's something somewhat animalistic about musk despite its clean and soapy feel. It blends perfectly with your own natural chemistry, making it very personal and inoffensive. I find it in some ways, highly addictive.

I can be anosmic to musk at times, however in the case of this fragrance, I was able to smell it throughout the duration it stayed on my skin, which was well over six hours.

I'm a little dubious to see this fragrance listed as a unisex fragrance, simply because it's so feminine and subtly sweet on my skin. However I won't rule a man wearing this out of my mind completely, because I haven't had the chance to smell this on a man's skin just yet.

BethAshley
BethAshley

Very clean, wearable musk. For me this is a laid back, casual fragrance. On my skin I can smell the rose on the dry down.

I tried it at the same time as Kiehl's Gardenia oil and it was a pretty combination. I think this EDT is ideal for layering and lots of different combos would work.

hollycat

I have to agree with cinsot about this scent. Very sexy. But that could be because Im very biased towards musks. And on me this is all musk. No florals that I can detect. I think this is a scent that people will think is your natural smell, because it becomes a skin scent that meshes with your chemistry in a non-perfumey way. A great scent for intimacy.

Cherub573
Cherub573

My review is for the perfume OIL (purchased in 2002), not the edt spray. The oil smells "smoother" to my nose, and I prefer the more subtle way it radiates off my skin.

This is the only fragrance with patchouli I have ever really enjoyed. It's warm, earthy, and very musky. I think it's very well blended in that all the notes synchronize well to create a distinct smell. It does seem to have a "dirty" facet, but patchouli always adds a "dirt and sweat" vibe to my nose, which is why I usually avoid it. This perfume blends well on my skin though, and I often got compliments from both men and women. I consider it a casual scent for cooler days, not for dressing up. Tenacious fragrance, lasting 8+ hours on me.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Knowing that this resurrected (and probably reformulated?) oddity seems to have a cult following, I had to sample it. I was surprised to find that it does not start out musky at all, but rather bright, citrusy and spicy, with sort of an old-fashioned "after shave" feel. When I put it on I felt like a Norman Rockwell kid who's just been to the barber. It does eventually dry down to reveal the musk, but it's a smooth, domesticated, farm-raised musk rather than a wild animal musk. This is one of those few scents that I think would smell better on a man than a woman.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

I have forever loved this one. Since the 70's when my Grandfather took me to the New York Athletic Club and they had a small Kiehls shop in the lobby. I fell in love with all their products, but my love remains only with Original Musk now. I gave it to my daughter's father to wear and absolutely loved its warmth on him. What a sensual fragrance. I would love to own a bottle of this someday when his memory is significanty further away...

Ducktail
Ducktail

It smells clean from start to finish. It's my go-to, all-season (I'm in So.Cal.), any occasion favorite. Calms and gives me confidence when nervous, re-assures me on iffy days, uplifts when I got the blues and always puts me to bed with a smile and the feeling of serenity. Love it, L-O-V-E it! Oh and everyone who smells it on me loves it too! So lucky I found this one.

marinadinatata
marinadinatata

After spraying half a bottle, i could smell it a little bit on me for about ten min,, then,,,eau de rien!!!!Am i the only one complaining about not staying power of it???

Rita @leftcoastnose
Rita @leftcoastnose

A super oldie that’s also a super goodie.

KOMO just…smells…good. Low-key, easy to wear, easy to enjoy. Kiehl’s calls it the “fragrance of love.” I think it smells straight up like simple beeswax—not too sweet, and despite the name, not “musky” or funky. This is my baseline test: if a person doesn’t like KOMO, they do not like scent, and I feel sorry for them.

Ladymom59
Ladymom59

I have no words to talk about how I like this fragrance...It smell is clean and soft, still warm. My husband loves it and every time I wear it I have a lot of compliments.
A dream you can smell!

guest_efikillkiss
guest_efikillkiss

A watery scent, it's like aromatic rain. It reminds me of a rainy day, when all the wet leaves or flowers of season evoke their aromas. It's refreshing and subtle with surprising longevity on the skin. It can be worn all day, but i think is more appropriate for day time. A well made fragrance. Even for kids. The watery accord maybe is caused by the neroli. Nice. 11-10-09

poppy_vanderbilt
poppy_vanderbilt

I had heard this was one of Nicole Kidmans favorite fragrances and that she likes to blend it with a vanilla perfume oil...not that it matters but just a little gossip...anyways...when i first smelled this i thought it was ok a very straight forward musky patchouli smell to me(i am not a patchouli girl)...after a few months of trying it a few more times i found myself really drawn to its earthy sophistication...so i started using it as a room spray and men and women compliment the smell in my house all the time..i prefer to wear a sweeter more lush type musk scent like the musk scent in Philosophy's inner grace...

curtis.w
curtis.w

I was first drawn in to Kiehl's by their facial products and remember rushing to get to one of their shops to test this EDT right when it came out. I sniffed it in the store, liked it well enough, and bought it immediately. I wasn't blown away at first; it was just a simple, clean scent without a whole lot going on, but it has since grown on me quite a bit. It's my girlfriend's favorite scent on me, and it's not hard to see why. It comes across as very clean, at least to me, (I don't get the extreme dirtiness some people talk about, I go to Eau Sauvage when I want a little dirt) but at the same time, it is very, very sensual. The scent is very well blended, so it took some time getting acquainted with it before being able to pick out any of the notes apart from the musk. The opening feels a bit synthetic, but that feel goes away shortly after application and you get a lovely yet fairly masculine and sensual bouquet of flowers (I get mostly orange blossom and lily at the start, though the rose begins to seep in from the beginning) tinged with citrus from the bergamot. The musk, of course, is there too but begins to stand out more once the citrus and flowers fade a bit. I get a bit of vanilla from the tonka bean, and I can pick out the patchouli from time to time, but, like I said before, it's so well-blended that it's hard to find all the notes all the time, but, in the end, it's probably better not to overthink it and just enjoy the scent (which, by the way, is also available in a body wash, which is also great). This relatively inexpensive musk ($40 for 1.7 oz.) holds its own against the more expensive niche varieties and has a place in every wardrobe: it's simple, classic, and goes with everything (it's perfect for layering). Definitely worth a sniff.

Yes, that's true, you will get noticed and not in a good way! I hope it smells better than it does on my skin. On me it smells fecal and dirty! My nose says so. It's nauseating. I think it smells floral and musky on a few people, not the majority.

guynspfld
guynspfld

Original Musk is one of my favorites. I will say it is not for everyone, but you will get noticed if you do wear it. The patchouli is prominent, but not a cheap, head shop oil. One, rather, that smells of expensive and exudes class. As with all Kiehl's products the utmost attention has been paid to make it a first-class product. By the way it doesn't cost a fortune!!!! TRY IT!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Kiehl`s Original Musk fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Kiehl`s Original Musk, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Original Musk by Kiehl`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Original Musk by Kiehl`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.

beauty at ebay