Designers » L » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Bois Farine L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men

Bois Farine L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men
dislike

Bois Farine L`Artisan Parfumeur for women and men Pictures

Bois Farine is the first fragrance from a series of the perfumer’s journey, created by the Artisan Jean-Claude Ellena in 2003. He made this fragrance in the memory of encounter with an unusual tree in the Reunion Island forest. This forest is known to be colorful with yellow wood, red wood, iron wood, milky wood…In this magical forest, the perfumer’s attention was drawn by the white aromatic tree, which exclusively grows on the island and is known for its enchanted strength. Its red blossom smells like flour. Bois Farine is unique aroma of the magical tree: rich floral, woody, powdery...

iris Sandalwood Musk Benzoin Jasmine Guaiac Wood Cedar Woody Notes Powdery Notes

La Fumee Classic

Bois Farine Fragrance Reviews

Cherry_Darling
Cherry_Darling

Definitely a unique smell - It smells savoury salty to me in a way, like a nutty salty cracker with seeds and slightly toasty. But a little sweet too like a bisquit. Perhaps an oaty bisquit, of the not very sweet kind.

seagreen55
seagreen55

By all, or at least most, accounts this read like a sure thing. The ingredients used read perfect enough, and I read most of the reviews here. When my order arrived (15mm sample spray), I was caught off guard with what I smelled. It was something I'd never smelled before, and I still can't explain what it was or reminded me of. It didn't agree with me at all so I had to return it. So disappointing (hope my review isn't revised or deleted). It's obviously a popular fragrance....just not for me.

polly golightly

quando ancora J.C. Ellena si muoveva su territori non radicalmente minimalisti, realizzava gioielli come questo. inusuale, fresco ma a suo modo gourmand, si tratta di un profumo polveroso (sic!) in cui le prime note ad effetto "carota" e mandorla si adagiano pian piano sull'iris (freddo e astratto) con sottotoni legnosi di sandalo. la descrizione non restituisce la meravigliosa sensazione di freschezza non banale inziale che vira, lentissimamente, su un fondo di benzoino. notevole!

holyhidden
holyhidden

Rich, floral, woody, powdery it truly is. It's lovely. Very unique for me. It's a beautiful, comforting and soft, delicate perfume - very unusual, and beautiful. It lasts quite well, about 8 hours, and is smooth and gentle, feminine, and elegant.

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

OMG ground up roasted peanut pencil shavings!! Very powdery feeling rather than dry, definitely a floral aspect (iris and a speck of jasmine) to it but nothing voluptuous or juicy- so interesting yet very comforting. It's a perfect balance of feminine and masculine that I really can't say either way. Most perfumes, I personally think, lean either way but this one really doesn't! The only thing sweet in this is the floral powdery aspect- so not sweet much at all. LOVELY!

weegee
weegee

Flour for sure! I'd call Bois Farine foody rather than gourmand since flour seems more pedestrian than gourmet. This isn't "bread baking in the oven"; no, it's yeasty bread dough in a bowl rising in a warm part of the kitchen.

I've only worn it once before going to bed and there wasn't a trace of it when I woke up so I can't speak to its longevity other than to say it was less than 8 hours. But what a warm, soothing, comforting scent to wear while reading a good book in bed -- a slow, smooth & happy trip to dreamland.

Haven't made up my mind about it but I applaud its uniqueness. Truly, I've never smelled a fragrance like it. All that said, no Floral Woody Musk has ever let me down so I'm guessing I'll really enjoy this when I wear it again during the day when I can experience its development. Hoping bread dough will morph into iris because that sounds like a fun olfactory journey.

shushkin
shushkin

What an interesting fragrance. It opens powdery with lots of sandalwood. Within 10 minutes the cool iris is very prominent and then there is more powder. My Grans lipsticks pop into my minds eye. It's definitely the old fashioned lipstick or face powder scent. Finally the sandalwood and the elemi come even more to the fore. The sandalwood is the last note to fadr.
It's definitely a skin scent but it hangs around for hours.

Carriewlin
Carriewlin

I read a ton of reviews and blind-bought this for a great price. This is a funny fragrance.

First wearing: Super-dry cedar sawdust and chalk that practically jumped up my nose, so strong I nearly sneezed. It softened quickly. Memorable, but not in a way I wanted to repeat.

Second wearing, the next day: Warm cabin, cedar floors, someone baking in the kitchen. Foody notes come and go quickly. Maybe a bare suggestion of flour or nuts? Bath powder and woodiness are pretty constant. Dry. No sawdust. Sniffed my arms nonstop for the next two hours. It got slightly sweet and softer over time. Cozy, a little industrial, makes me want to work with my hands. I'd wear this while working in my art studio.

Third wearing, day three: Leaving for vacation. Wore this as a comfort fragrance for my day of airport fun and flying. When it wore off, I missed it, and then I thought about it all week while I was away. I had samples of four different scents with me, and all were boring compared to this. Vacation was cold and windy. Bois Farine would have been a nice way to temper the weather.

I recently acquired Jour de Fete, and thought they might have some things in common. I saw a lot of references to almond and marzipan in descriptions of Bois Farine. To my nose, Bois Farine is dry wood, powder, and brief glimpses of foodiness. Jour de Fete is marzipan almondy-goodness. Neither are particularly sweet, but Jour de Fete is far more so than Bois Farine. Both are great for what they are, but are different enough that I figured it was worth sharing.

CeciliaLark
CeciliaLark

You could be one of the finest bakers to understand this fragrance. I like to spend my insomniatic mornings surrounded by grains, seeds, nuts, cacao nibs, sugar, honey, and spices. I have a special drawer wher I keep my best chocolates and a favorite baking sheet for toasting grains and nuts to bring out their eepest favors.
Bois Farine is those sweetened, toasted grains and nuts. Think ground almonds. Imagine being in this hot patisserie at 3AM, grinding your own almonds to make marzipan. You have secret spices you add to this marzipan to make it especially addictive, and you store the whole spices in a sandalwood box a lover brought to you decades ago: the carvings are filled in with pastry flour. The smell of bread baking and brioche dough rising surrounds you as well. And you are drinking a warm cup of chai, in memory of your travels with that lover when you were young. Slide your fingers through the almond meal you have made, is it fine enough? A few more pulses in the food processor and then you will add superfine sugar and let it pulse until the almonds and sugar come together, almost like a smooth dough. But just before that the spices you are blending in the stone mortar and pestle from Mexico—there's a hint of the purest Mexican vanilla nourishing the stone (both from a different lover; yes, another travel means another lover) and it gets added to feed the addiction and bring those hungering for more to your threshold.

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

Bois Farine as a scent is fairly linear and is just powder, powder, powder. It smells like chalk and flour but it also somehow conveys the tactile sensation of having baby powder covering your skin.

The thing that makes this fragrance difficult for me to wear is that it is extremely dry. It feels like having a mouthful of flour that has dried out the inside of your mouth and all you want is a glass of water to wash it down. The dry powderiness is just relentless and I would have enjoyed this fragrance much more if there were some sort of balance to it, maybe from orange blossom or amber or something.

I am so torn on this fragrance. On one hand, it is olfactory art that is very well executed and absolutely delivers on its theme. On the other hand, I find it to be semi-unpleasant to wear. For me, it will be a Secretions Magnifique-type scent that is fun as an art piece but is not something I would ever purchase or wear. But I still applaud Jean Claude Ellena for taking an idea and truly running with it.

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander

I smell mostly sandalwood and nuts with this one.It's pleasant, but I wouldn't wear it to work. Its a me-time fragrance for those who love the strange.I got this for £23 in TKMaxx. I think all L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances in the old style bottles are being sold-off cheap. The gold bottle caps look much more classy than the new ones.

2lipsinHolland
2lipsinHolland

It starts with a whiff of wet plaster or chalk, as in rain soaked plaster...then it dries a bit into marzipan, not marzipan rolled in sugar but marzipan rolled in flour. Slowly it moves into the iris and for me it finishes in a creamy sandalwood. This fragrance grew on me in a way that I did not expect. I thought it wasn't "strong" enough that it wasn't projecting far enough but then one day I was walking through the room where I hang my scarf and there was this delicious, sexy creamy sandalwood mixing in the air with that elegant iris of Bois Farine and I fell head over heels for it.

nickyt99
nickyt99

Smells like nothing but sweet playdough unfortunately.

Noirdenoir
Noirdenoir

Smells terrible on my skin. Reminds me about wet chalk or gypsum. Definitely not pleasant at all.

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

This smells so much like horchata, especially after a couple hours have passed. It's creamy without being nauseating, and the sweetness is a crisp, clean, understated sugar rather than anything cloying. It's quite unique and absolutely beautiful. Like perfect pastry, all the ingredients are perfectly measured, making the final product exquisite.

shalla.marie
shalla.marie

I get sweet almond milk and extreme powder. Not chemical smelling baby powder but warm comforting powder that kind of reminds me of cookie dough.

Every time I get a whiff of it , I feel happy and safe.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

stylenurse
stylenurse

L'artisan Bois Farine is a comfort scent meant for those damp 40ish degree days where the sky is dreary and it won't stop drizzling. It gives a feeling of pensiveness leaning toward melancholy. The constant dry powdery wood aroma smells like you've just opened a dusty old book without its binding. You sit on a window sill looking out at the damp dead trees as you exhale chilly air onto the fogged glass. It is truly a calming scent and lingers on for hours. It is an interesting oddity of a fragrance and happens to be one of my favorite iris scents. I've read that Bois Farine is inspired by a unique protected species of trees in far away places that are said to have mystical powers only making this fume even more intriguing to sniff.

thehanna
thehanna

a lighter, close to the skin scent. Powdery, creamy but almost too light and with poor longevity. Husband says he can't smell anything when I wear it.

jamiehammond1980

I really don't get this point where people can smell mould what I can smell is lots and lots of powder and almond I must say it is an acquired taste and I have to be in the mood to wear this fragrance and I'm surprised that more people don't find this to be a very powerful fragrance and 2 sprays on my skin lasts a good 8 to 9 hours and if I spray it on my clothes it last up to 12 hours. But as far as the smell of mould goes I think these people have obviously never smelt real mould but hey we are all entitled to our own opinion. 7 and a half out of 10 for me. X

cinnakitty
cinnakitty

What can I say? This opens, honestly, with mould. Then a quick blast of almond. Then vetiver.
I'm not enamoured. I didn't scrub it off though to.give it a fair chance and it did improve a bit. Later it smells like wood and almond milk.
It is not what I had in mind at all. 6 hours later it has become a smooth skin scent. It is bearable definitely but it just isn't anything I would have spent full price on. Like another poster it was 29.99 and mine is going back! Even if it had been 9.99 I don't think I would have cause to keep it.
I wanted a powdery baked goods type scent. I didn't get it.
I have been more wowed by the 3.50 Desperate Housewives I bought a few months ago.

mrsg34
mrsg34

This perfume for me started out with a nutmeg smell then I got the cedar before it settled into a powdery, cosmetic smell tinged with marzipan. It's pretty linear and delicate but very pretty. I got this on offer at tk maxx and at £29.99 I'm very pleased with it but wouldn't want to pay full price.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

This scent is very of powder balmy. Little here the iris , but a lot oils of car.
So it lies on me like that . Is not intensive but long lasts and after 2 hours torments me.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

The first few moments after spraying "Bois Farine" I was struck by how similar it was to "Coco Blanc" by House of Matriarch, which I had thought to be entirely unique and irreplaceable.

Their openings both share this bizarrely appealing accord of warm, fatty peanut butter mixed with cold, wet clay; Dense, smoky and earthy.
While Coco Blanc's development emphasises vanilla, Bois Farine moves in the direction of almond marzipan and an intensely powdery amber. Soft, cosy and sweet, with the vaguest hint of suede; It stays like this, fairly close to the skin for a few hours before crumbling away into gentle whisps of powder.

I'm really impressed, considering I got the bottle for a steal. I can see this being a frequent choice for the winter months. Perhaps the almond and iris make this a more feminine leaning scent, but it's a complement winner regardless.

Angeldaisy
Angeldaisy

Ormonde Woman spilt in an historic building undergoing its final dusty restorations...sawdust, concrete and plastering.

someone somewhere is sharpening a pencil, to mark where the electrics are to go.

sadly i don't get marzipan, nut or bread. not gourmand.

i do get a generous slug of iso e super dancing with heliotropin.
where's the benzoin and jasmine?
oh out pops the iris. and a musky musk thing, or is that the iso e fuzziness? wait...dough! not bread. some bitter almonds.

i don't know what else to say. light, soft and airy.

but i do love it!

an at-home comfort scent.
i say that - and reread this.
?
but then i recall my mum banging around a bit of dough on a daily basis. i spent a lot of time exploring property renovations and playing around trees and woodlands...so perhaps its a childhood thing for me.

edit: much as i love the smell of this, i wouldn't want to go out wearing it in public. a strictly at home comfort scent.

LeonieB
LeonieB

With all this talk of marzipan, Nutella and almond cookies I was expecting something tooth-rottingly gourmand, but to me the whole impression is of strange subtle woody dryness. With no accenting notes that either lift or anchor it, it is essentially a very unusual skin scent, but go easy on the spritzing, this is no weakling!

First spray reminds me of the middle section of Chanel no 19 - fresh pencil shavings. Aaahhh. Love it!
Swiftly followed by .... -flour? maybe, but more like wet plaster, or even cement.
Don't have to wait too long - 30 mins? - Nuts, yes, fresh almonds (not marzipan), something of bitter hazelnuts. A slightly medicinal note.
Then the Iris kicks emerges and HELLO?!! does nobody else get a great big faceful of that iris queen Chanel 28 La Pausa? Never thought I'd ever find that anywhere else!
Having obsessively sniffed that addictive, mysterious note for an hour or so, I find it has conceded to a mild sweetish wood (not that in-your-face exotic heavyweight that seems to close everything niche these days, something altogether more airy and elusive).
Truly original - you have to go to know!

canny1234
canny1234

Bois Farine is a very sensual woody non-sweet Sandalwood skin Scent after the deliciously evocative cookie dough/flour opening.Its the love child of Jour de Fête crossed with Tam Dao,whilst managing to be magnificently unique.Its strangely beautiful and addictive and full bottle worthy.Low Silage after the top Notes subside when it becomes a cedar and Sandalwood skin scent.

Rerik
Rerik

The powderist of all powder scents.
I get a heavy flour accord in the beginning. Then the flour gets slightly sweet, baby powder like.
Never tried something more powdery.
Great for all fans of luxurious and powdery scents.

jamiehammond1980

Oh my God this scent is heavenly there is no other fragrance on the market that comes close. Well Mr Ellen you have produced yet another master peice. To me it smells like a mixture of dough after its been left to rise and even though it's not in the notes listed I can smell powdered lavender all mixed together in a bag of crushed make up just lovely just wish it was more potent but I still love it and will see how it performs over the fall/winter period then will review again xx

empathyboy
empathyboy

L'Artisan perfumes always do the same thing to me. I read the notes and think I more or less know what to expect but then I spray it on my wrist and pull that face that says, "WTF!?"

I can't blame Bertrand Duchaufour for that because this particular fragrance is the work of Jean Claude Ellena. I love Jean Claude's work and own a lot of his perfumes made for Hermes. This is not a Hermes scent. Oh no it most certainly is not. It is almost as though JC wanted to show that he could do 'different' just as good as Bertrand, but then Bertrand didn't compose most of his masterpieces for L'Artisan until after this. I almost wish we could have gotten to appreciate more from JC working with this house before his move to exclusivity with Hermes.

I get a big fat blast of cedarwood at the start but can already detect something unsmelt in perfumery before (for me at least) and it is travelling at great speed to the front. It's the doughy note. I feel as though the Mr Stay Puft man from Ghostbusters is coming to take me up in a great big stay puft embrace and cuddle the preconceptions right out of me! (I think I've gotten Mr Stay Puft confused with the Pillsbury Dough Boy, this is not a marshmallow scent but rather a fresh dough one).

I guess there is Iris here somewhere but it is rather cleverly used to enhance the feel of powdery doughy something rather than dominate the show as it does in other fragrances. This is not a fragrance for those who are guided by their love of iris.

My partner said, "Wow, that's nice!" When I first sprayed it and he begged me to gift him the bottle. Then later on he wasn't quite so sure, and I think I know why; he is like a cat that needs time to get used to a brand-new visitor. And get used to it he will, because Mr Stay Puft (or the Pillsbury Dough Boy) is here to stay.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Perfume comfortable, dusty with a bit of "magic".... This is inspired by a tree, also known as 'white tree Magic', known to have magical able! It is a nice scent,light and heavy .. is very versatile! I like the sweet/dusty/woody here,there is an unusual combination of notes, but well done! The Iris has a strong presence here, even if it is not excessive. As evolution proceeds, develop woody notes of sandalwood, while other notes accompany the other in a harmony definitely nice and soft! The sillage is soft, but longevity is quite good (5-6 hours). Council to try it ..

Sillage: 5.5/10
Longevity: 6.5/10

Overall: 8/10

gelo999
gelo999

Bois Farine is a very special fragrance, but strange and particularly creative, since there is no market fragrance that smells like that.

Ellena is the magician of light, color and subtle and original notes as when you paint the watercolor technique.

It feels like a kind of pastry dough and nuts wrapped in a cocktail of woods where a chord sandalwood atalcado brings a subtle, dry, soft, soothing and comfortable trail as a cashmere sweater.

This semi sweet like a gourmand but becomes one.
The trail is moderate to mild and the average length, making it ideal for use during the day.

This excellent fragrance moved me for a moment to my childhood, reminding certain scents of my childhood in my grandmother's kitchen preparing cakes and biscuits.

Rating: 8.5

lovelyhazel
lovelyhazel

Tested sprayed. Very nice. Opens with lots of wood-type notes, and is also slightly "clean." Feels like a comforting skin scent. There's also powder, but not strong baby powder - more like tapioca flour.

pauroj
pauroj

i like this a lot , i don't wear it often because i need to feel in the mood for this , is basically dough , fresh dough baguette to be more specific with some peanut butter unsalted thrown in the mix, is interesting and is warm not cloying

ColdDiss
ColdDiss

Bois Farine is a great joke about powdery perfume... what could be more powdery than sawdust mixed with flour? The iris note slays me. I love this so much.

swoon
swoon

5 sprays on the pillow, I will sleep like a baby.
It's light but it lasts for more than 10 hours, surprisingly.
I get a lot of cedar from it on my skin. Even a bit smoky.

Silltrut77
Silltrut77

This is such a soothing, calm and soft fragrance. I often wear it when i go to bed or when i have had a shower and just want to spend the evening cuddeling up in the sofa watching tv. It's also a perfect scent for me to wear at work where i cant wear heavy fumes.
The main notes to me are almond (not even listed) and powder in a creamy, soft blend. I smell woody notes but they are very, very soft. I cant say that i detect any flowery notes. It's a gourmand for sure byt not at all sweet. My 2-year old daughter think i smell like the inside of a DVD disc cover when i wear it. She puts it funny but she do have a point :)
Usually i prefer rather heavy orientals or smokey fragrances but this comforting and unique scent, i cant live without. It will always have it's given place on my perfumeshelf.

deadidol
deadidol

Out of the gate, it’s a warm cedar interwoven with spices and a soft, nutty texture. But the pleasing welcome is really just there to introduce the two stars of the show: Iso E and heliotropin (an almond-smelling chemical). The resulting scent conjures the image of a plate of shortbread sitting next to a vase of flowers, but it’s all tad synthesized — in fact, it smells borderline severe to me. Ultimately, it sits somewhere between gourmand and floral that, despite being cozy at first, gets boring real fast. A relatively agreeable but uninspiring foody blend with L’Artisan’s signature piss-poor performance.

LiliShineOn
LiliShineOn

I just opened this and sprayed it. Not sure about the bread, I smell wood, older seasoned wood that has just been remilled. Powdery, yes. Not getting any floral. This is totally unique for me. I have never smelled anything similar.

Ok, getting the toasty bread smells now. Powder and flour. ore wood smells, but not the same kind of wood. I think it's sort of cedary and something I don't recognize. I wish I knew about this passion of mine!

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

A unique perfume, genuinely unusual without being at all strange.

The opening is yeasty and then sweet almond paste, like the dough for some sort of bun baked only on special occasions. It has a very faint cinnamon toast note, or maybe I should say cinnamon toast bread dough. In the dry down it's woody, sandalwood and sweet powder, a tiny bit salty. It's very present: it has surprising sillage and longevity for a scent that is essentially quite delicate.

A comfort scent.

june7rose
june7rose

Extraordinarily unique. Though it's billed as a gourmand, it's not sweet, it's like woody flour. It's quite unusual.

Neodymium
Neodymium

Smells to me like sweet uncooked dough. It is interesting, and not unpleasant, but not a perfume I ever need more than a sample of.

andabri
andabri

Smells just like wheat bread topped with sliced almonds that's a few days old, sitting in a wooden bread box. At times it smells like a peanut butter cookie, that doesn't have any sugar. This is not gourmand at all, despite smelling like these two things. It can give a comforting vibe, sort of how wood shavings or fresh hay is comforting. It's not warm, foody, sweet goodness, or anything like that. It's pretty dry, but at the same time, mellow. Personally not my cup of tea, but I do appreciate the mastery of it.

po
po

You know those confidence boosting statement perfumes that can stop others in their tracks for good or bad but will certainly get noticed. Truth be told I love some of them.

And then there is Bois Farine on the other side of the spectrum, delicate, polite and discreet.

The name is quite fitting actually; smells like flour, unsweetened pastry dough, nuts and the most tender woods imaginable. It doesn't really evolve, only becomes even more quiet with time so if you like the initial spray you'll probably like it till the end. Is it wearable? For me yes, yes, YES, but I often appreciate peculiar, quirky scents.

Keep in mind that it is truly a skin scent, won't project much no matter how many the sprays but it lasts, sometimes even until the next morning if applied generously.

I find it marvellous; such a homey, comforting and serene scent. The olfactory equivalent of a well fitting cream cashmere sweater; super soft, comfy and impossible not to enjoy wearing it.

polly golightly

accordo decisamente più complesso dei soliti minimalistici profumi di ellena. è un legnoso, polveroso con sentori di mandorla. in una prima fase sa di quella carota che ricorda chanel no.19 poudree, poi si assesta su un iris morbido. veramente notevole!

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

Very interesting and unusual fragrance. I love smelling this. But I used it as a room spray.

I never bake and very rarely cook, so my home tends to smell like either nothing, or briefly of the sillage from my own perfume that I selected for that day, or just freshly brewed coffee in the morning. I always sprayed BF everywhere before guests arrive at my home, so that it’d feel cozier for them.

I think some perfumes should be displayed and experienced in galleries, as works of art — not really as wearable fumes. Much like the difference between haute couture and pret-a-porter in fashion. Some creations are meant to manifest as incredible ideas, and feats of technical skill… For me, BF is like that.

I really wish I could pull this off on skin.

henri345que
henri345que

Another interesting creation from a maison that likes to go beyond and make fragrances that seems inspired in the real world but through an abstract way. Bois Farine is all about the wood and the peanut to me, and this combination, sugary, soft, doughy, makes me think of children`s parties here in Brazil. There`s a candy here, called Cajuzinho, that is made of peanut and decorated by a little cashew slice at top. The peanut dough of Cajuzinho is covered with icing sugar, and the smell that linger on your fingers after you eat one of these sweets is the same that Bois Farine has - a light, sugarish, peanut smell. Bois Farine goes on me after the peanut doughy smell on a light woody and resinous side, but what a fun opening this one has! It has a relaxed, innocent, happy smell to me, easy to wear and to enjoy.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

I remember the first time I read the notes for Bois Farine, I could hardly wait to get a bottle. I was convinced that I would love it immediately, but when it finally came in the mail and I sprayed it for the first time, I was a bit put off by the fact that all I smelled was almonds! Almond extract, almond lotion, almond hand soap, ALMONDS, ALMONDS, ALMONDS!! I'm not one to want to smell like almonds, atleast not entirely, so it got set aside for several months. There it sat. Sadly being reached around, getting no love.

Fast forward to yesterday: Sitting in the movie theatre I caught a whiff of what smelled like Bois Farine. It was very pleasant and calming and made me want to come home and put some of this almond Joy of a scent on. So, I did and this time around I wasn't underwhelmed like I was before, but rather pleased and very glad I hadn't given up on it. It's like a rich bakers dough infused with high quality almond extract that's been in the oven for half of the bake time. The dough is still raw but has been heated throughout, making me go, "ahhh" when I inhale. Bois Farine is totally unique of anything I've smelled in perfume form. It's definetly more creative and cleaver than what the notes give it credit for. I smell no iris, no sandalwood, jasmine and definetly no cedar. But in combination they create this interesting powdered almond floured dough rolled out on a wooden cutting board fragrance and its so odd! I still ask myself, where are the almonds?

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Delicious and comforting wood powder with regrettable longevity/silage.

BFis true to its name: wood flour. BF smells as if a combination of woods, almond, and iris has been dried and pulverized into a fine flour. This combo also gives me a peanut butter cookie vibe when sprayed. I can feel the "powdery note" mentioned by Fragrantica but it is quite transparent (it does not interfere with the other notes). It is there to give a powdery feeling (which the iris also has). There is a combination of woods here, but at first I cannot say one stands over the other. The almond and iris eventually tone down and then this delicious sandalwood scent becomes more apparent. It is warm, semi-sweet and balmy. This is the best part for me since I love sandalwood. The sandalwood stays until the end, as the more prominent wood scent.

On the downside BF goes skin very quickly. Within 30 minutes only I can smell it. After the 1 hour mark BF becomes less powdery and gives out a faint sandalwood scent. BF is pretty much history after the 4th hour on me.

In short, I madly love the smell of BF, but absolutely detest its longevity and silage. If you like the scent of a peanut/sandalwood confection mixed with a powdery smell of woods/sandalwood, and are looking for fragrance who won't stick to you for a long time, the BF is for you.

I personally own it. And even though I don't like its longevity, there are many occasions where I find that desirable. For example, I often wear it at night after a shower knowing that, comes morning time, I don't need to wash it off to wear my daytime fragrance.

wordsalad
wordsalad

I have an immediate visceral negative reaction when I put this on. Very weird experience for me - get it off!!
I have a nice sample (from Perfume House) - if anyone wants to trade for another L'Artisan sample.

deeanna
deeanna

A marvellous original subtility between sweet warming fragrances and the dryness of precious wood. I love love LOVE it !

Germany
Germany

Bois Farine , extremely different. It doesn't smell perfumy at all, it's very flat and all I smell is marzipan, ground up almonds , marzipan , some more powdered almonds , marzipan , and nothing else. Good thing I love almonds and marzipan even more so. But this is all it smells of to my nose, It's very linear as well it smells of marzipan first spritz and doesn't change. It's also extremely light airy and understated. No one would smell it on you unless someone hugs you , I have a hard time detecting it on myself and need a good 8 sprays to make I worth while. If you love this , get 100 ml , it's going fast .
Its a very warm comfort scent, its great for the days you want to just feel good and cozy. Like today and all weekend ,its suppose to rain, my bois Farrine will comfort me.
I do wonder how this smells in hot weather. I bet it would maybe bloom a little more?
Its a SKIN scent.

christianne1
christianne1

This is a very unique and comforting scent. It smells dry and woody but has a flour-like smell that is very pleasing. It isn't sweet though, it smells like clean white wood. Flour-y wood. Bois Farine means "wood flour" and that is exactly what it smells like. It doesn't smell like food much to me at all. It isn't that kind of flour. But there is a bit of warmness to it from the sandalwood. And there is a slightly nutty quality. The dry down is slightly sweeter and I feel like I smell a tiny bit of tonka although it isn't listed. My nose is pretty much missing anything floral in there. Bois Farine is very light and sheer, you could wear this heavily and it still would not be overwhelming. Great for anywhere in close quarters with others where you want your fragrance to be more discreet and polite.

LOLAISA
LOLAISA

Purchased today unsniffed, it was on discount -40% and no tester... Could not resist.

At first, woods, second - white dry flour with already added sugar and vanilla;

In 10 minutes I caught a sniff of :

Dusty desert rode, it starts raining, warm raindrops foaling on the dust...

Shame, no silage, no lasting power, as it is quiet unique, different from all I smelled before;

For some reason it is very comforting, the smell of the childhood...

I wore this a few years ago and liked it, especially the drydown, though it didn't seem to last long enough. The opening had a bit too much fennel for my tastes. Trying it again now, I find that there seems to be a use of aroma chemicals that is coming across as just that. After about an hour I had to wash it off, as it was really bothering me, like I was breathing in toxic fumes. So, I think my major "contribution" here is to advise people who are sensitive to some aroma chemicals to sample this before blind buying a bottle. I prefer the fennel treatment in The One Gentleman, by contrast. While I like the idea of Bois Farine, for me it's unbalanced at first and too "synthetic" later on.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

The opening of Bois Fariné definitely reminds me of some bread or cakes that I smelt before. I don't think it smells like peanut butter or nutella on me. I just can't put my finger on it! (What on earth is it? It's driving me crazy! Grrrrrr....... =A=)

After about 3 or 4 hours, the benzoin loses its power on the fragrance. The sandalwoods and other woodsy notes become more prominent. The scent also turns slightly sour on me. The powdery aspect is noticeable but not aggressive.

The sillage is soft but the scent stays solid along the wearing. The longevity is around 6 hours on me. Actually, Bois Fariné doesn't evoke much emotion to me. I'm attracted by the scent itself as it smells just so interesting and addictive. It definitely worths at least a try!

pravda48
pravda48

If anyone here has had the tasty hot Turkish beverage known as Salep... that's exactly what this smells like on my skin. Very realistic cinnamon (with the slight bitter it includes, but pleasantly so), something warm and reminiscent of milk, and the soft, comforting quality of powdered mountain orchid roots to thicken the drink. Serious cozy drink flashback! Lovely, but not fb worthy to me for the price. (I prefer more 'intriguing' scents vs cozy.)

meama
meama

88) Bois Farine tells the discovery by Jean-Claude Ellena of the "white scenting wood " a tree growing on L'île de la Réunion, with its red flowers exhaling a smell of flour. A scent that referring to hands kneading dough cake, without being food, and disgusting or trivial. Instead, it's a complex composition, impalpable, almost physical, which puts us water at the mouth, while being quite abstract.
The first effect is very winter fruit: almonds and toasted hazelnut, with a slightly bitter appearance. Coumarin gives a very powdery effect, tobacco, hay, dry and herbal. Then the "mealy" notes unfolds, powdery, almost mineral, like baby powder. And this is after a few moments that are emerging creamy woods, sandalwood and vetiver, to provide a darker dimension, slightly smoky, and a little whole grain effect, rye bread.
Bois Farine is a marvel of subtlety and creativity, shy and discreet sillage, but melts into the skin like a breath of cake prepared a Sunday in winter.

stacia79
stacia79

A gourmand that didn't mean to be a gourmand, as it does not fit the mold of being either fruity or candy smelling. The moment I sniffed a sample of this I aaahed loudly and knew that I had stumbled onto something quite special. Not a single food note to be found in here: Iris, musk, several different kinds of wood. However the combination creates a unique smell that I can only describe as raw flour or possibly ground hazelnuts. It's time to get in the kitchen and bake some fresh bread from scratch! It's a very dry aroma, light and elegant. Everything about it says class, composure and warmth. I imagine this being worn by a wealthy woman who chooses to clean her own house, and do all of her own cooking and gardening because it pleases her. I wish I had a sweater made out of this fragrance that I could wrap around me when the world became stressful. I would be back in my cozy childhood kitchen watching my dad bake homemade bread. What a nice find this was!

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

This is one of the strangest perfumes I have ever smelled. While I do have a small bottle, and it was a blind buy for me, I have to admit I am enjoying it fully.... I couldn't resist buying it because of the name ....not exactly feminine, it's has a very melancholic vibe to it that I believe makes it more appropriate for a woman than a man. I can definitely smell the raw peanuts in their shell in the beginning.... many people mentioned peanut butter... but that is made from roasted peanuts.... there is a cardboard kind of scent here... it's sweet, woody, powdery.... the scent becomes a little floral later, without losing the woody / sandalwood character.
It is transparent but it persists a fairly long time.
Even though I don't find it beautiful or sexy, it's additive.... somehow makes me think of moments from long ago, childhood.
I want to sniff it again and again. It lacks energy, freshness. It also lacks spice, life. I lacks sensuality too. But it has lots of emotional appeal. And this is why I love it!

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

*L'Artisan Parfumeur - Bois Farine

Here's a great criation of Sir Ellena!.

The opening evokes some of my memories around a famous peanut candy that we have here in Brazil called "cajuzinho", which is made of milk, sugar and peanuts. But also i can get cookies and somekind of herb biscuits too, ready from the oven...lol. Our olfactive memories are so crazy - i love it! I guess the sandalwood makes that kinda "gourmand" (not a usual goumand itself but a different one). Probably sandalwood, benzoin plus fennel seeds (sweet anise) make this stuff happens like that!

In a few minutes, i can feel dry woods on it, especially guaiac wood - which is sweeter and smokier than other woods.

Then, Iris here makes things go with a bit of charm and luxury, together with sandalwood, less strong right now, but making a powdery and creamy accord.

Its dry is basically white musc and faint woody notes. Simple as Ellena but also good enought!

So delicious! We have good projection (not annoying anyone around us) and also good longevity! Go ahead!

:D

antfarm
antfarm

When I first put this on, I definitely recognized the peanut butter aroma that other reviewers had mentioned. I enjoyed it and kind of hoped that it would have stayed longer. It smelled like breakfast at my father's house--peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on fresh bread with a cup of hot white tea.

The beginning stage that I adored so much quickly faded and what remained was a cinnamon/doughy fragrance similar to SL Rousse, but with less oomph. I like Bois Farine, but I wish the peanut butter and tea would have lasted for the entirety of the experience.

Smunky
Smunky

I have a sample of this tonight, and my first thought was ugh, the second was "I know that smell". And it came to me. It is the musty smell of damp clothes or rags that have been sitting in a pile somewhere for a few days, forgotten about. That's what this turns into on me, sadly. I was really excited to try this one, but it's actually the first perfume that made me feel ill. I can't pinpoint which note it is, but it's definitely not for me.

dhoakohime
dhoakohime

What an oddity of a perfume!! It is a very very soft blend of natural animalic (not in the greasy hairy way, just NOT the industrial chemical clean-laundry musk..more like the balls of musk out grannys used to put on the wardrobes between the clothes and sheets) musk and powdery "white" notes of someting like wet dough and wet plaster mixed together.

As it cooks into the skin it turns sweeter, veering more thowards a faint cooked dough or bread scent rather than the mineral plaster or clay touch. It doesen't however loose the mineral feel of the plaster even though it turns way softer and stays in the background. Also the jazmine and the iris start to show up, but very faintly as well, way in the background, making this scent rounder and giving it the delicate sweetness.

The woods also show up as the base, and they can be pretty noticeable, and the benzoin also adds some caramel like sweetness to the flowers.

I can aslo detect some spices but extremely faintly and just from whiff to whiff of scent or it could be one of the several woods this perfume has on its base.

It is a very interesting between sweetness (which often makes quite warm scents) and airy coldness.

It is very very soft and kind of airy. It is very conforting too...very cozy.

I'd say it is another category of femenine as it is not the typical flowery/sweet/fruity scent...it is almost angelic due to it's "whiteness" and softness, like little farine clouds.

My only complaint : extremely poor sillage and longevity. Extremely soft and faint..

It is going to be discuntinued very soon!!!, so if you like it you better grab 4-5 100ml bottles...it is soo faint that those that love it will use it like water...

I personally adore it

People on Russian perfume forums usually write that it smells like a dough. It has a lot of fans between fragrances by L'Artisan Parfumeur. As for me, I don't think so. I rather feel iris and musk. And I can't say that I like it.

tourmali45
tourmali45

This grew on me. When I first tried Bois Farine I was shocked to find that what I blind-bought was an unwearable weird stuff. I didn’t scrub it though, and was reconciled with it to some degree after day dragged on.
And then a month later I suddenly decided to try it again. What can I say – it was a success! I sprayed my wrist only once remembering past experience, but found that I keep rolling up the sleeve of my parka and my glove to sniff the wrist. It smells like powdered wood to me, luckily I don’t smell any peanut butter that I hate and a lot of reviewers get.

This is an odd scent, I can’t dissect it into notes like I always can. It’s so exotic for a perfume, that you just live it as an experience. Can’t say I detect iris as usually I don’t really like iris scents, and I don’t get jasmine at all, and not musk. I don’t rightfully know what I get except for some unusual wood – not your typical sedar, but I love how Bois Farine makes me feel. It’s comforting and has character, and staying power was super surprising for an L’Artisan – I sprayed once at 9 am, and could still smell it at 6 pm. I didn’t get much sillage, but I don’t strive to get it, I find that when a cloud comes into the room before the person, it’s an invasion into other people’s privacy, as all the people that use public transit can vouch for. So Bois Farine is a well-behaved little scent that lives with its master and lets live.

nancyknows
nancyknows

A truly unique fragrance that I just can't get out of my mind. I did get the peanut butter in the opening, but it wasn't unpleasant, it was comforting. Then the scent shifted to something like buttered rum, and then went all complex woody on me. At some point sweet black tea wafted in and out, and by the dry-down I was getting a gentle but distinct iris. IMO there's nothing "laide" about this; it's odd but beautiful.

Edited to add I had to buy a full bottle of this. It is soothing like having someone stroke your head when you have a fever.

jtd
jtd

I've been thinking about how I'd write about Bois Farine. It's novel, it's interesting in light of Ellena's other work. It's got a hefty dose of that jolie-laide thing that made whole eras (80s) and genres (fruity chypres) of perfumery interesting. Hell, I like it. It drives a herky-jerky line between starched and savory.

I wore it today to a basic life support re-certification class today. As it turns out, we had to demonstrate more than explain today. About 4 minutes into my first round of chest compressions, at the sweat point, I started to smell as if I'd been hiding peanut butter sandwiches under my arms. It was a 3 hour class. I don't think my classmates enjoyed the nouvelle-gourmande experience so much.

AveParfum
AveParfum

The scent bears a white powderiness similar to that of flour. It's odd in a good way. There is a very gourmand peanut nougat in the opening, but it only lasts a minute or two. The heart of the fragrance smells like a tea latte of smoky black tea with a few dried jasmine flowers, lots of steamed milk, and some powdered sugar. This is a sweet take on iris.

I love to burn palo santo, my absolute favorite wood, and I smell heaps of it in this perfume. Love it. Now I know where the smokiness comes from. I really didn't expect the guaiac note would be so true to the actual wood, but leave it to L'Artisan to craft a fragrance of such remarkable quality. It's my palo santo dream come true. It reminds me of the drydown of Theorema, where the palo santo is so good I didn't think I would ever smell it so good again.

It's not just a woody perfume. It certainly has the white powder that I expected with a name like "Farine." It's a similar powderiness to L'Eau D'Hiver minus the touch of green. Instead of green, Bois Farine is smoky and a tad floral. Both are warm, cozy, and comforting in cold weather.

Bois Farine is a definite winner from L'Artisan. Considering it's not a heavy perfume, sillage and projection are both awfully good with only one spray. One spray drifted up to my nose for several hours. I bought this without testing first--no regrets! This is one of the best woody-iris perfumes out there.

Sylfaelle
Sylfaelle

My ultimate snow scent ! I find it warming and comfy, as if I was under an igloo, protected from the sharpness of chill.

Joe1717
Joe1717

Very well balanced perfume. This new creation from L'artisan is a sweet but not cloying perfume. Sandal is very well mixed with flower notes,mand wood hold the whole equilibrium of this light and elegant fragance

ivy818
ivy818

I agree with previous reviewers that did not find this fragrance gourmand. Definitely woody + flour, and to me, absolutely amazing, comforting, gorgeous. The drydown is a beautiful creamy sandalwood that I can't wait for as well. LOVE!!!

persefoni
persefoni

A very calming, somehow extremely "familiar" scent... when i first smelled it, i was impressed. Now, 3 tests and some months later i still experience the same surprise of that 1st day!

It is to me the most "personal" scent i've ever tried. I'm sure if one wears it, people will not know if this is a perfume they're getting or a mixture of skin chemistry, smell of clean clothes and wonderful baking evidence...

An amazing perfume conception and execution! ..not its hefty price, however.. take it easy people and come to your senses !! ( when this happens, i'll buy 2 bottles ;)
PS: i just realised that here in Greece many perfumes (including this one), cost twice as much as they cost in other European countries.....

purrz11
purrz11

I'm so sad this didn't work for me. I wanted the peanutty, cozy, bread smell everyone elses reviews talk about. I smell like a cedar chest. No, a high end furniture store. I find nothing soft and cozy about this. It shouldn't be listed as unisex as Bois Farine is totally masculine. I guess hubby scored a new scent for himself!

Kamicha
Kamicha

I'm increasingly drawn to Bois Farine. Such a weird beauty, such an impressive lasting power for a soft scent.

For me Bois Farine is mostly woods with sandalwood dominating the accord, dry and pleasant nut aromas, a weird but nice flour impression smoothing things out and a fleeting, whisper-like floral note on top of it all. It gradually develops some gentle resinous/nutty sweetness - and has a dry (as opposite of moist) warm and comforting overall feel, like your old trustworthy cashmere sweater.

But breaking this scent to the parts does not really do justice to it. It's completely unique, I've never smelled anything quite like it.

Wearing Bois Farine is like falling in love with a friend. You know him, you've had such a great time with him - and suddenly you just understand how the things are for you two...

hermyonee
hermyonee

I love this one, usually I'm not a big JCE fan; it's warm, yet dry & not too sweet but still kinda spicy, it's powdery them gets creamy from sandalwood & cedar. At the beginning I feel more hazel nuts than peanuts, very dry almost grilled; I love it, but stragely most on warm & dry weather, not in winter, it's not sucha sweet -cozy fragrance for me! In winter I prefer Hypnotic poison or spiritueuse double vanille, or Kenzo Amour.
I also love Bois farine as a base, to miw with other perfumes, for ex. i first spray once BF then one more of Omnia Bulgari, or Safran Troublant from l'AP, or vanille noire YR, it matches perfectly and it makes them last longer! try it!!

For me, it begins quite sweet and anisic. After perhaps half an hour it gets dry, a little powdery, and a little woody. It's certainly unique; as others have said, it can give the impression of flour, peanuts, yeast etc. Without much applied I got good longevity and projection ("sillage"). It's a bit too simple for me, though I might revisit it once a year or so to see if my tastes change. Otherwise, it's good in every other way, though certainly a sample first fragrance.

fanny
fanny

The opening brings a pleasant odour: yeast and flour.
How extraordinarily.

Woody Floral Musk?
Maybe musk, mayby wood, yes after some time.
Floral..?
Maybe......, yes after 20 minutes a touch of iris.

I like it, sure, I think it is lovely.
Again, if only it were stronger I would buy a bottle:
BF is too weak for my taste.

Wispita
Wispita

When I wear this, I smell like Thai peanut sauce. Not just peanuts, but sweet and sour peanuts. How unpleasant.

Justyna
Justyna

Perfect at home, on lazy, cozy weekend mornings...
It's very intimate scent, more in mathernal than erotical sense, great for cuddles with kids (my little son adores Bois Farine and every time I use it he wants me to spray his little hand too). This scent makes me feel like "Big Mamma" without baking a cake, but I dont recommend it for going out. Alas, it fades in the air like a cloud of meal!

Singabera
Singabera

It's interesting perfume, it starts from the wet flour, in which already the cup of sugar was added, and some vanilla, it really so...
Then it changes - the base for me is quite almondy, sweet, very sweet.
It's a good experience or experiment but I will not wear it for sure.

RIVI1969
RIVI1969

I love it, is like if I had take a deep dive in cake dough... without being a sugar bomb as most gourmands are... ideal for Christmas season when a cozy perfume comes to hand!

kolciag
kolciag

I love Benzoin, and this is one of my favourite Benzoin perfumes :) In this scent it reminds me of nuts... I can say that I go nutty when i smell it, I love it. So worm, so nice, very strong and long lasting.

I use it all year long, but I use all my perfumes all year long :]

Grottola
Grottola

Okay, when I dabbed on Bois Farine and let it dry, I couldn't stop laughing. It seriously smells just like peanuts. Or, almond cookies of some sort. Not sweet like Marzipan, just straight up Planter's peanuts with some woods thrown in the mix. As it dries down I get more iris and woods towards the end but that peanut smell never leaves. It's not the kind of fragrance I'd wear, but Bois Farine is a reminder of how amazing fragrances are when it comes to conjuring up different smells or images. Good longevity and sillage; very unique and enjoyable.

greydove
greydove

I asked the SA at Bergdorff's for a dry, cool fragrance and he steered me to this. It is not dry, and it is not cool. Its one of those opaque woodsy, warm fragrances. Definitely bready, starchy almost, in its doughiness. I didn't read young and easy-going in this fragrance. I think people who like Fracas would like this fragrance due to the heavy, creaminess of it.

Unifex
Unifex

Oh dear. Farine is right. All I got was wet flour, wet flour and more wet flour. It reminded me of whenever my mother would make bread.

But not the nice bit, when it was baking. Oh no, just the bit when she was mixing the dough.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

To me it's a gourmand perfume. Also, a comforting smell. Warm, and not too sweet. The perfume keeps its balance and does not become cheesy and cheap. It begins with a peanut buttery tone along with pencil shavings- and it is this woody aroma that stops the sweetness from becoming overpowering. Towards the end I get more of the Iris and a bit of a powdery feeling. I think it's a magical perfume (like the tree it's made from), and everytime I feel a bit weird, I get comfort inside it. I would suggest it to those who dare... and maybe to an "experienced" nose.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

There’s lots of anise or fennel at first, along with a strange foody smell sort of like sweet potatoes fried in peanut oil, then quickly something more like bitter stone or mud than flour. I suppose that if I stretched my imagination the least little bit I could imagine a doughy smell, like flour and water paste. I also smell quite a bit of sandalwood at the base.

After a half hour the scent settles down into an odd, almost transparent, sandalwood decked out with fennel, a metallic iris, toasted almonds, honey, and meringue. It’s something like white nougat would smell if it had fennel seeds added to the almonds and was eaten after I had rubbed my hands with sandalwood scented oil. At this point I can’t stop sniffing my wrists to try and figure out exactly what’s going on.

Reading other reviews and lists of notes doesn’t give me any more insight than I got just by sniffing. It’s one of the most unusual perfumes that I’ve smelled for a long time. I was a little put off by the fried-food opening, which some reviewers have described as “peanuts”, but that lasted less than 10 minutes, probably more like 5. Once the fennel-nougat-sandalwood phase starts, it’s an enjoyable ride for a couple of hours, after which it pretty much dries down to a heliotropin scent, sometimes described as “Play-Doh”.

If you like offbeat perfumes, Bois Farine is a must-try but, as with all offbeat perfumes, sample before buying.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Bois Farine opens with a ground hazelnut aroma and you can instantly recognise the scent of wet flour, such as when you add water to finely ground white flour at at beginning of a recipe.

There is some blonde wood in here too, a table upon which to rest your eventual baked materpiece.

Soft and feminine, Bois Farine is also soothing and fluffy. This would be a great comfort fragrance for summer!

trax
trax

In the same street as Profumum-Acqua e Zucchero without the sugared berries and with amped up sugarcoated almonds. As opposed to Zucchero, Farine reminds me of perfume, not cottoncandy. I can detect the iris but just barely.
It is just a fith as sweet as Zucchero but still almost to sweet for me (though I have come to love them both)
More masculin than Zucchero towards the drydown due to a mix of almond/cedar/sugar which an hour into the drydown almost gives of a soft musky impression. Yep that's it, almond musk, if ever there was such a thing.
Some days it reads as pure almond essence on me, and I love it on those days too ;)

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I'm getting sandalwood and lipstick. I'm surprised there is no violet note listed, because that usually creates the "lipstick effect" for me.

I don't understand why this scent isn't working for me. I love benzoin, iris, and woody notes, but I am getting only sandalwood and lipstick from this fragrance.

Cereza
Cereza

At the beginning I got "nutellla" all over the place like elgab89 already mentioned, I found it really lovely, but then after a minute or even less it turns and smells like flour and on my skin there is nothing else and I just can't find it lovely, because on me...it is just flour. On my bf on the other hand is flour + nuts + powdery flowers, but even on him flour make too much appearance. Definitely can't imagine myself or my bf wearing this.

Migotka
Migotka

I have forgotten about this fragrance for a while. Today looking through my box with samples I though... well, why not. The day is nice and sunny, a touch of Bois Farine might brighten it up even more!

I am happy I reached for it, it was so worth reminding how magnificent of a perfume creation this is. Jean-Claude Ellena, you are a real master!

Bois farine at first brings this association to flour, if a fragrance had a texture, it would certainly be that of ground cereal. What follows is the most exquisite powdery and musky iris. Although there is a lot of various woody notes here, the whole fragrance does not strike me as articularly woody, the woods are so subtle and delicate, and blend in so nicely with the flowers that it is difficult to consider them apart. It does feel magical and warm, but at the same time familiar.

Definitely not my favorite L'Artisan (that would be Jour de Fete or Ambre Extreme) A floral musk, very powdery, sometimes verging on baby powder, which is something I really don't care for. There are woody resin notes that I really do like, but it's just a little too powdery for me. Sillage is never good, a problem with some of the L'Artisan scents. I'll pass.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

If you like this, but dislike the pricetag, you must try "Max Mara" by Max Mara, which is a über-sweetened version of "Bois Farine". Both perfumes are "Floral Woody Musk's". But the sugared "Max Mara" has a nicer price-tag to it. You simply must try this! You will get a lot of perfume for the money if you buy "Max Mara" (which is also one my signature-fragrances - love love love !!!).

Solvita
Solvita

A lot of nuts,very gourmand perfume

Sissi
Sissi

The Opening reminds of a white chocolate with almonds. very refined
and stately like a elegant white gown
going to a cotillion during the 1900's in the deep south this perfume is ideal for southren belles it's subtile ladylike and sweet like the legendary georgia trees this might be the perfume that blanche du bois wore.
it's a little to tame for Scarlet o' Hara And way to tame for blanche devereaux. this has a southren elegance to it.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Wow! What an original and comforting scent here!

Smell like flour with a touch clean bed with some dry old wood in it. Amazing! Again, L'Artisan downside is their longevity and sillage. One of the most original scent of all time!

edit: AMAZING!

4.5/5

Imagine a pile of white flour in the middle of a sawmill that processes dark wood trees into planks to be used to build stable and secure houses in the country that are havens from metropolitan madness. L'Artisan Parfumeur BOIS FARINE smells literally just like that.

I am not one to be seduced by names--I often take issue with them--so I do not believe that my experience of BOIS FARINE is being caused by my belief that this edt should smell, as advertised, like "woods of flour" or "flour forest" or "woody flour". And yet it does!

This is a comfort scent, to be sure. A warm woody unisex linear that imparts a sense of protection. The flour note (not listed, but somehow emergently created from other components...) manages to subliminally evoke the image of a big baking kitchen in which white flour abounds. Flour implies baking implies mother implies safety.

Yes, BOIS FARINE really is a warm, woody, flour-y comfort scent that would appeal to men and women alike. No need to chain your doors!

fpih
fpih

This is one of the most comforting fragrances I've ever smelled. Flour mixed with nut, starts sweet but that sweetness gradually disappears. In the end, it becomes dry and perhaps more masculine than feminine. I love the initial sweet, gourmand phase, but I adore the calm and clean scent in the drydown. I like wearing it before bed or in the morning, when I expect a stressful day in work. My kids always know when I'm wearing it and claim it reminds them of biscuits, a scent they obviously love. In fact, this, along with Hypnotic Poison, are the two perfumes they never fail to compliment on me. Lasting power is mediocre however, 4 to 6 hours max and it stays close to skin after the first hour. Despite that fact, I love this scent so much, I plan to always have a bottle in my wardrobe.

bronstein
bronstein

This is a strange perfume, as it reminds me of coulour and dye. I really enjoy the smell, but I wouldn't know where to wear it. It smells pleasently yet bizarrely as if I was painting a picture of oil on canvas.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Really impressive Bois Farine is. Somewhat tree-like, but some flour included. I didn't get Nutella, but I'll say it was pretty nutty. With flour. Something sweet here too- true, that it's very memorable and unique, also pleasant and somewhat easy. Magical forest? Yeah, but there isn't present any earthy note. I think now, what if they would include a soil note like in LL Amarena Whim? I guess Bois Farine would be a dark, enchanting magical forest.
Later scent develops in a little bit burnt nut smell and it's very gorgeous too.
Lasting power is good.

verity
verity

Nothing offensive about this, however I became bored of it very quickly preferring other more distinctive fragrances. It reminds me of fresh baked biscuits blended with pencil cases. Quite nice, cosy scent, but it doesnt smell 'perfumey' enough for me to wear it. I gave it away. Also the lasting power is weak, as with many of the L'Artisan.

mellybee
mellybee

I can easily imagine Bois Farine to be my everyday scent. It gives me a cozy, comforting feeling.

Opens up on a nutty note of freshly grounded hazelnut which I wish could last longer. The well blended duo of sandalwood and cedar takes center stage after the brightness of the top note vanishes: the smoky saldalwood tempers the sweetness of the cedar. Iris blossoms out in the finale.

I didn't find it gourmand at all. It suits both man and women. Sadly, the staying power is very weak.

cherryfairy
cherryfairy

My first L' Artisan Parfumeur scent.
It starts sweet on me- i agree with the peanut butter note,but sweeter,but then it turns into a woody heaven, like baking in wooden stoves outside, like my grandmother used to do when I was little, burning wood, cold air and the smell of baking bread.
I would not consider this fragrance gourmand exactly, more like woody with powder notes.
The staying power is also good,although I heard other about L'Artisan scents.

rebella
rebella

Bois Farine is as many have already written an unique fragrance. On me it start with a mouthwatering peanutbutter note, I like peanuts and have nothing against smelling like them. But ooooh, they don´t last. Not at all, they are only there for such a short time it is actually amazing I noticed them! After the lovely peanutbutter there come something very soft, pretty and gourmand kind of fragrance. But as I have noticed with some other L'Artisan the fragrance is much to weak on me! I can tell it smells really good, but I get mostly frustrated because I want it to smell more, stronger and longer!

It is so weak I can´t really judge what I smell, only knowing that whatever it is, it smells so good, smoth and lovely.

Why oh why are Bois Farine so shy on me? I only have a 1 ml sample, but even if I have a whole bottle I guess it would be empty very fast.

I should have loved it, if only I could have smelled it a tiny bit better.

Gemini
Gemini

Adorable! I just have a sample of it, but i hope i will have a big one too.
Best powdery fragrance i have ever smelled! Warm, creamy, it's like you wear a soft scarf on your neck. :)

Zhara
Zhara

An amazing and unique comfort scent - flour, sweet white flowers, sandalwood, and...flour??!?

Not necessarily gourmand - for who would eat raw flour? This isn't even the floury smell of fresh baked bread - no, no yeast here at all. Nothing toasted - this is fresh milled raw flour. Sugar? look somewhere else. This is a bakery, not a candy shop.

Ah, but certainly a comfort scent - the fresh start of a recipe, the beginning of a quiet afternoon busily baking. The fragrance of being productive and creative. When other scents give you the final product of cookies or cakes, this gives you the prelude, the launch, the mis en plas.

So rare for L'artisan to put out a fragrance that is so casual and comforting - this is a delightful piece. So sad that the cost takes it out out of reach, else it would be a staple of my scent wardrobe.

giny
giny

I got a 5 ml vial from a swap partner and with the first spritz I fell in love with Bois Farine. It’s unique and comfortable, warm and soft. This fragrance charmed me totally. My family find also very fine. (Usually they say nothing when I try a new fragrance or sometimes when I ask „how do you like my scent?” they say: „it’s Ok”.)
I don't get the peanut butter, Nutella or hazelnut top note as others; it smells on my skin like the scent of the fresh grain and fresh milled meal. It’s not powdery on me, not sweet, not fresh – it’s a perfect fragrance for me. It’s too expensive for me, but would be the owner of a whole bottle.

elgab89
elgab89

Very nice and comforting perfume. I don't know why, but it smells like Nutella on my skin.

jeca
jeca

Woody, powdery and gourmand, unusual, like woody flour. It is definitely for colder weather.

2007

I test it this week and still remember it, very memorable scent indeed.

themeglet
themeglet

Oh, sweet frozen bag of flour... You're not gourmand; you're cold air...and flour. Please don't ever be discontinued.

2007

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about L`Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about L`Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bois Farine by L`Artisan Parfumeur. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bois Farine by L`Artisan Parfumeur represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.