Designers » M » Oriental Floral « Groups

Baccarat Rouge 540 Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men

Baccarat Rouge 540 Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men
dislike

Baccarat Rouge 540 Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men Pictures Baccarat Rouge 540 Maison Francis Kurkdjian for women and men Pictures

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Baccarat Rouge 540 was launched in 2015. The nose behind this fragrance is Francis Kurkdjian. Top notes are jasmine and saffron; middle note is amberwood; base notes are fir resin and cedar.

Jasmine Saffron

Amberwood

Fir Resin Cedar

Rouge 540

Baccarat Rouge 540 Fragrance Reviews

fillifelle
fillifelle

I always think of MFK as the marmite of the perfume industry. It is some serious acquired taste! I have a generous sample of Baccarat Rouge 540 and the first few wears are just weird. Oh But does it GROW on you. I now regard this fragrance as one of the most iconic, bizarre, and addictive among the niche world. One common thread among the reviews here is that BR540 is very difficult to describe. How true! Saffron is strong and there's a bitter, palate-numbing aspect, I'm guessing amberwood and fir resin. I'd describe it as a funky erotic sort of candy. A mature adult candy.

The last time I wore BR540 was a year ago and I can remember exactly the outfit I wore because of the perfume. I had sprayed some on my black lacy bra and put on a flowery summer dress over it. Forget edible panties and bra! Forget body chocolate! Spray on some Baccarat Rouge and you're ready to rumble.

Lilmary310
Lilmary310

This is the most unique (and most expensive) perfume in my collection. It is, without a doubt, my favorite perfume. However, men seem to hate it and that basically just breaks my tint little Bacarrat Rouge loving heart. I think the saffron is too much for them lol

I don't wear on date nights or if I expect close encounters as it's not a fragrance for everyone but I wear when out with girlfriends and for myself at home, and incessantly sniff myself :)

esteban.vihaio
esteban.vihaio

I have found the equivalent for this one in my hometown in Istanbul;

The company is called Atelier Rebul, which is unfortunately not listed on Fragrantica. They exist since more than 100 years and have beatiful creations. Check their website for more....

Their perfume "No. 94" - which is their house number of the very first store, opened in 1895 - is VERY close to Baccarat Rouge. It is listed as a women's perfume on the website, but I bought and find it quite unisex... very sexy stuff!!!

It is as potent as Baccarat and costs only a fragment of it...
I do not know if they ship abroad, but if you are over here, you can try it on any of their stores and thank me later :))))

LadyIva

This is my second review of Baccarat Rouge 540; I'm happy to report that this fragrance has really grown on me. When I first tested it, during the winter, I found it to be too heavy on the sweet, boozy, honeyed saffron, and I was also bothered by a distinctive burnt sugar note. But now that I'm wearing it in warmer weather, it has opened up to reveal other nuances, including the salty-sweet warm amber (very similar to Grand Soir), and a cool resinous note. Moreover, it lasts 12+ hours and projects fantastically, without ever turning obtrusive. I have received compliments from total strangers in the street, at shops, at work etc. Now that I have almost used up my 2ml sample, I have added this fragrance to my small wish list and realised that I'm slowly turning into a true MFK fangirl because, in addition to the two MFKs that I already own (Grand Soir and Oud Satin Mood), I'm now lusting after Baccarat Rouge 540, Oud Silk Mood, Petit Matin and Absolue Pour Le Soir. All in their time. ;-)

bailão
bailão

I'm really fascinated to this fragrance. It is a "love at first sniffed" event, indeed. The idea that BR540 transmits is incredibly amazing! In therms of aroma I get a sweet amber with woods, jasmine and saffron, but that said maybe you can think that the perfume itself is simple, but it's definitely not. It's an exquisite, well rounded and absolutely gorgeous fragrance, and whenever I throw it on I feel an unexplainable coziness. I'm so in love with baccarat rouge 540! Big thumbs up for this masterpiece.

Yet on time, good and solid longevity with a good sillage.

Edit: The girl that sits next to me in my office complimented me telling that I was smelling pretty good, and that my cologne had a sort of "cotton candy" vibe, lol! I was with BR540!

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

The synthetic ambergris provides a light diaphanous breeze of mineral aquatic air. Jasmine and saffron float along this sea breeze. Hints of fir like a forest meeting the ocean joins with citrus and a sweetness of amber. Crystallic yet substantial. Personally too light for me, but it is a beauty to appreciate and try for yourself to expand your knowledge with fragrances. Clever, classy and lithe

lemale83
lemale83

My new favorite. I don't know how to describe the smell of Baccarat Rouge 540 by MFK. I can't detect any special notes seperatly, but I get some sugary (in a good way), woody and salty vibe, very unique. I think it's well blended.

Performance is beast mode. This is some serious stuff, in hot climate it last almost like 15+ hours with great projection, I'm not kidding. I can remember I wore this around 7am before go to work one day, then I went to gym around 9pm, when I start to do my sprint I could smell it like I just wore it, it's amazing. I'm not sure how does it perform in cool climate, but in tropical countires it make wonders.

It was lables as unisex, but I think it's more suitable for guys b'coz of the woodiness. Price is bit steep for a 75ml, but it's worth for performance itself.

jigginssean
jigginssean

The initial blast of this caught me by surprise and was like a train smacking into me at full force. You can tell straight away that this is some extremely powerful juice. The smell is like nothing else i have ever laid my nose on and is quite strange, giving me a vibe of a steel works in a candy fantasy world. Although this juice is definitely not for me and i am thankful i only got a sample, i can respect that this juice has absolutely incredible lasting power and projection. It projects as far as an erupting supervolcano and lasts as long as a main sequence star. I do not like it very much but that is just my personal taste, however, for those that do like it, you are getting your moneys worth- 1 spray is more than enough to leave you set for the next few days!

sarasouzan33
sarasouzan33

one of my best perfumes

hedward
hedward

- Orange latex -

Where do I start. Baccarat Rouge 540 is pure insanity. It wasn't a true love at first sniff but once I had spent a moment smelling it from the card and on my arm I fell completely head over heels. The scent is simply undescribable and the unique aura it radiates sparked an obsessive greed in me - so I bought a bottle. Is it worth? So worth I'm thinking of selling some of my collection in order to buy more of BR540.

Like said, the scent is extremely hard to describe but I'll try my best. The structure is linear and very low-frequency but simultaneously it's airy and transparent. Very avant garde. Topnotes are orange, sage and a hint of honey. The orange stays all the way to the drydown where a mixture of burnt sugar and abstract woods is revealed. Now the interesting part: I smell latex, the true smell of natural rubber and not the smokey rubber tire that's in Bvlgari Black. Some reviews have also mentioned this quality but using terms such as "dentist gloves" and "medical bandages". THIS is exactly the reason why I'm hooked - the composition on one hand is sweet and romantic but on the other hand has a medicinal natural latex quality which makes it so contradictory. Never have I smelt anything even closely similar to this. One could argue BR540 being very synthetic because it does posses a megadose of ethyl maltol and salty ambroxan but I personally value the artistic outcome over the materials.

A quick summary: burnt sugar on natural latex topped with a slice of orange. Longevity is monstrous, projection average. Do not blind buy BR540 but definitely sample it because it's truly out of this world. Much love, thank you MFK!!

Soundtrack: Simian Mobile Disco - Your Love Ain't Fair

DBF85
DBF85

I made a mistake.
Bought this perfume without testing and took a leap of faith.

This is TOO SWEET for my preference. Smells like sticky sweet pineapple syrup poured on my skin.
If sweet scent is your thing, I highly recommend this perfume. Very long stay power.

I tried to break the sweetness with Gucci Intense Oud but this perfume overtook it without lifting a finger!!!

Monster Power, but not my cup of tea.

shawna_j_davis
shawna_j_davis

I absolutely loved this perfume when I first tried it at the perfume counter. It had a nice pleasant fragrance, but I can't even remember what it smelled like because 2 hours later it had dried down to a horrible scent. It must have been the fir resin I was smelling, but I could not wash it off quick enough. I washed my arm with soap and water and later took a shower, but I could still smell the faint scent of the resin. I am just glad that I didn't shell out $300 for this perfume which I would have ended up hating.

artsyrn
artsyrn

I am not even going to try to describe this glorious perfume beyond what has been laid out for us to ponder, other then that I agree it is both luminous and dense. I travelled a few hours down to Miami to sniff exclusive fragrances, hard to find in my area. My fellow perfumista and I must have sniffed and sampled over a hundred. This beauty is just so unique and really captivated me immediately. I can tell you that on my skin this divine scent stayed they same, very complex, sheer but strong, apllied around four in the afternoon and remained until I showered after my yoga class the following afternoon! I looked up other scents this genius perfumer has made and noted that one of my go to fragrances is also his doing, My Burberry. I am not surprised. Baccarat just might have been made with the Gods in mind, My Burberry for us mortals. ( I am not just talking about the price here!☺)

Sar_stormborn
Sar_stormborn

This is a lovely fragrance, I really do like it but it really reminds me of Abercrombie Fierce with a touch of sweetness. At this price point, that is just crazy. Pleasant but too expensive to be reminded of that store each time.

gedlive
gedlive

Francis K has tried blending rich Oriental notes, Amber wood, and blend them with florals. A great idea that was best done with a bench mark classic Givenchy Insense.
I think Duchaufour has done it best with a modern day fragrance D'Italie, D'Italie.

On the decant card from MFK it says mineral facets of Ambergris and woody tones. What is a mineral scent? I think I smell what they are talking about, something smells watery, that makes the fragrance light and sheer in a unique aquatic way...
Hard to describe. It is one of the most unique fragrances of the 10 MFK frags I have tried.
That is the best thing about it, the uniqueness. A nice cedar note with floral and spicy nuances.

This fragrance has one of the lightest projection of the 250+ frags I have reviewed.
So it was worth a sniff, but no wow factor here.
It is a light Oriental fragrance, it reminds me of Fortis fragrance, or a D'Italie fragrance for it's interesting quality notes and blending, but very light sillage.

God bless. John 3:16

guilhermefalcai
guilhermefalcai

A perfume, a word: Headache. Super strong, I can't support the resin note present here. Sorry Francis, I tried.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

While the corresponding video of Baccarat Rouge 540 on the MFK website is decidedly soulful and romantic, the scent itself fails to captivate me. The closest it might come to dense, luminous, and rich is caramelized brown sugar.

While this is not a super heavy sweetness, it saunters into gourmand with barely a hint of saltiness. I don't detect flowers; and there is some resin, culminating into caramel sweetness with a hint of wood and a puff of spice, but only a hint as to take the caramel sweetness off its edge -- barely detectable. Baccarat Rouge 540 is smooth and comforting none-the-less and not loud like a syrupy designer scent.

The official olfactory description from MFK is jasmine, saffron, cedar wood, ambergris. Perplexing considering the note pyramid, or maybe it's just my nose that isn't detecting the notes that intrigue me.

This is simple:

If you love Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone, you will love this.

Period.

I cannot recommend this more. It's brilliant.

LadyIva

This is a rather unusual fragrance. If I did my research correctly, three years ago Francis Kurkdjian created a very exclusive (and crazy expensive) limited edition fragrance Rouge 540 for the jewellers Baccarat, and the following year he recycled (pardon my French; reinterpreted) the same idea for his own commercial release MFK Baccarat Rouge 540. Now, I have no idea whether the 'new' fragrance is similar to the original; the listed notes are different, but that doesn't have to mean anything.
So, what does the MFK one smell like? Weirdly, the first note that hits me is burnt sugar! Then it quickly evolves into a bittersweet, honeyed, almost boozy saffron, with hints of jasmine and some earthy-woody offshoots. The honey-like aspect of saffron actually reminds me of Burberry Weekend for women, however Kurkdjian's scent is much more intensive. In the final analysis, Baccarat Rouge 540 is too sticky sweet for my liking.

zephyr1973
zephyr1973

Ugh. This is just not good. I have much respect for MFK, and as a general rule, enjoy his creations, but this is not one for the shelf.

The opening is a blast (and I mean that with all that word contains) of saffron and some rotting fruit. Yes, rotting. It is likely a brown banana. There are fruit flies and I sense decayed sweetness. This is beyond banana bread - this is for the trash bin.

The opening also contains something far below, which I keep trying to figure out, but it's a pitchy note that I cannot identify. It doesn't work here.

The structure falls apart for me and seems to just move amoeba-like for the remainder of the experience, which is really strange for an MFK. It went sorta flat - and I never did find the ambergris nor the jasmine, two notes I adore. I keep smelling something extremely fruity and so sweet, it turns my stomach.

I am now off to scrub my wrists. Yes, it is that bad - at least for me.

spirit966
spirit966

The value of Baccarat Rouge 540 depends on whether one values the "raw ingredients" or "the artistry" involved.

I personally think that this is a super sophisticated and unique fragrance. Very well done.

Artistic interpretation:
Beautiful shimmering fragrance that smells like the reflection of glass or metal. Can feel both cooling or warming sensation depending on the whiff you get. It is both transparent and dense at the same time.

Wow, Francis Kurkdjian managed to bottle the smell and sensation of crystals. Amazing!

Technical interpretation:
Sweet woody amber with citrus (tangerine)overlay that is cotton candy-like. Stays sweet through out. Not the worth price because of the synthetics involved.

Tiwalii
Tiwalii

Hmm, this is a strange one. I'm not sure I really understand this perfume.

When I spray it on it seems strong, but after a second or two it's like the scent totally disappears from my skin. For about 10-15 minutes I can't smell a thing. Then it slowley starts to appear again, and it grows into a rather strong smell that still sits quite close to the skin, if that makes any sense.

Initially the scent reminds me of hairspray. It softens into a more floral smell, jasmine. But it's a very rough, woody jasmine. A masculine jasmine, in a way. (EDIT: And the drydown is a super loud and intensely masculine cedar - so, yeah. One of the more masculine scents I've smelled in a while.)

Baccarat Rouge comes across as an intensely brown smell, to my nose. And it gives me the same feeling as sandpaper does. Flat, brown and with a roughness to it. It feels like I can polish something with this scent. Like I could smooth out rough edges with it. And yet the scent has a certain softness as well.

I see people speak of candy and sweetness, but I can't detect any candy like notes or much sweetness in this scent at all. It's a very dry, woody smell to my nose. Very foresty. No candy shop in sight.

Very complex scent filled with contrasts. I don't think I like it, but I'm a bit intrigued by it. It puzzles me.

Starts strong, disappears completely, before it slowly emerges again, grows rather strong and then dries down to a skin scent. It's like the scent can't make up its mind on my skin. Longevity is 6-7 hours on me.

mimi88
mimi88

at first sweet, later gets woody, starting to remind the smell of sterile medical bandages and iodine. While being totaly candy sweet and feminine in the begining, has some masculine vibe in the drydown. I like it overall

Cologniano_D
Cologniano_D

I love it. Doesn't get the love it deserves. Some say it's too sweet or too feminine. I can name a lot more fragrances men wear, that come across way too Feminine.
The floral aspect in minimal. I get more wood. So I would say it's an oriental Woody. Well done by Mr. Kurkdjian.

Contessa01
Contessa01

This is lovely! It reminds me of jasmine rouge by tom ford. Someone else said it but it really does smell 'burgandy' if that makes sense. I could see that this is unisex. But overall more feminine. I'd love to have it.

topdogrwd
topdogrwd

Before smelling and Reviews : Wow

After smelling B540 : lol

richmilton
richmilton

This hits all the *negatives* I find in a fragrance...

1. Feminine (not unisex... this juice is old lady!)
2. Over-priced ($200+ for this is ridiculous)
3. Hyped up reviews (obvious lot of shills)
4. Not unique... Smells like several female perfumes
5. Rose. That ends it there... to much rose for my taste

In fairness, it's a decent scent for a mature woman. But nothing special. But the hyped-up reviews here and on Youtube about this being "heaven in a bottle" is just laughable. All in all, there are far better perfumes out there for women (yes I believe this is a lady's scent) at much less money.

illahuasca
illahuasca

I'm dead. This perfume killed me. The comparisons to wood and crushed hard candies are apt, but Baccarat Rouge is also SO MUCH MORE than that. It defies explanation, but I would say that the woody note has a damp, moldy feel to it. Sound unappealing? IT WORKS.

Just buy it. Francis Kurkdjian, I wanna have your babies Dx

Amber_Fetich
Amber_Fetich

Best sillage and longevity.

It can fill any place with its sillage within seconds

Very sweet and great perfume!!!!!!

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - salted candy musk.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I did get noticed, it garners compliments.

Longevity - I get 12hrs consistently.

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A very sweet, candy-like fragrance which is mostly feminine, which has good projection for 5 hours....

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0 - 4 hours - 2.5 foot projection. This comes out subtle yet strong. It has high projection yet it is such a soft, fragile, sweet fragrance which is mostly feminine and it gave me a mental image of sugary milk. IMHO this does however not have a defined character and it lacks identity, there is nothing distinctive about it...lacks a point

4 hours - 5 hours. 1.5 foot projection. Mostly linear with subtle changes. You get lovely candied sillage trails

5 hours - 8 hours. 3 inch projection. Projection seemed to die after 5 hours .Linear smell

8 hours - 14 hours. Close to skin, skin scent now

Very expensive and IMHO there is better out there for the money

Good

myjebo2012
myjebo2012

It is a well blended parfum. Very gorgeous and I think this might be my go to or often wear. Its so richly delicious and expensive. I like Maison Francis line about 4 years ago I love the others APOM and Luminere very good fragrances.

greg1187
greg1187

This smells like glass candy floss.

I can't see a guy pulling it off convincingly.

dperson
dperson

If you have the money to spend then go for it. I think of wealth whenever I smell this. It is very classy but has a casual laid back feeling to it. If I become rich then this will be my every day scent for around the house because I want my house to smell like this. This is hands down the longest lasting scent I have ever tried. The projection sucks but it does linger. If rubies had a scent then this is what a crystal clear river filled with rubies on a winter day would smell like.

MysticRose
MysticRose

Baccarat Rouge has intrigued me from day one because I could not, for the life of me fathom what was in it. My thirst for this refined and fragrant juice was (and still is) driving me insane and I'd often go to bed at night debating whether it was full bottle worthy or not. I recently went to the Maison Francis Kurkdjian store in Paris where I was equipped with enough samples to see me through the rest of the year {merci} and amongst them was the object of my desire.

The fragrance emits a radiant glow that is reminiscent of crushed rubies and burnt sugar. As anti-climactic as this may sound, Baccarat Rouge is simply a nice, well-structured fragrance. Despite smelling good, it just doesn't last long enough on my skin. I don't mind reapplying fragrances but she is far too weak on me to justify a full bottle. Damn you body chemistry :'(

ZBear
ZBear

I'm a big fan of Mr. Kurkdjian's perfume work, however, being a non-committal fragrance lover, cannot bring myself to dropping the cash on a full bottle of his Maison fragrances.

Rouge 540 is an intriguing fragrance. Not too spicy, not too woodsy, not too sweet. On me, the saffron note projects the most, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It almost lends a food note to it, which is not how I usually prefer to smell.

Fortunately, the cedar stays quietly in the background (I have such trouble with cedar based perfumes), and the amber and jasmine blend together harmoniously, adding a warm and sophisticated touch.

In short, a very pleasant perfume, and one that I would recommend to those who like Byredo's Gypsy Water and fragrances along the same vein.

Moderate sillage, excellent longevity, and high price tag. Will definitely consider a full bottle if I come into extra money!

tatonnement
tatonnement

I have this on right now and...

A blooming forest towards the end of spring when the temperatures start to rise but not yet to uncomfortable levels. The wind is warm and somewhat strong, bringing in a breeze of fir and cedar trees with soft, delicate florals. Then the overwhelming scent of candied caramel apples starts to waft up and you realize you're standing on discarded carnival treats from a week before. The apples have now rotted and the caramel has melted into the ripe fruity flesh creating a sticky sweet odor. Despite the decay, the scent is quite pleasant and also has a hint of freshly spun cotton candy.

Not bad. As with majority of MFK fumes, this one has powerful longevity and smells of quality. I quite like it despite it being so sticky sweet.

UPDATE: Wearing this 5 days in a row I have now decided this is a big love. This is a fume that definitely grows on you if you sit on the fence when first smelling it. I view this as a casual fragrance, one I'd wear everyday because it's light and sweet. Therefore, the only thing I cannot justify is the pricetag.

The reviewer beneath is right about the Molecule 1 performance vibe... after a while you can no longer smell it but everyone and their grandmother will. I find this fume not interfering with my allergies and does not induce any headaches.

DHIguy99
DHIguy99

I've been wearing through a few samples and found myself loving this. At first I was questioning the performance on this scent. The more I wear this I get a Molecule 01 performance vibe. After a little bit you cannot smell it but the the sillage is just nuts. This is a beautiful fragrance and totally unisex. The opening is sweetness and woods. The sweetness takes over in the opening and then dies down into more of a woody scent. This is pretty linear fragrance. It lasts on my skin about 8-12 hours. It screams class and just smells so expensive. Very versatile as well and 2-3 sprays will do you just fine. I decided to buy a full bottle. The most expensive purchase I've made on a fragrance to date but it is well worth it.

Hintsweetscents
Hintsweetscents

I had high hopes on this fragrance based on the reviews I read about it. I was hoping that it would have that candy and toffee apple smell I read about. Unfortunately it just smells like a faint sugary smell mixed with salt...

The smell isn't "horrible", it is just meh. The longevity is pretty good, about 6-8hours +, however it sits really close to the skin and you may only be able to smell it at an arms reach distance, but not even that.

Edit:

After trying the smell again after a few days, it has grown on me. Where before I only smelt sea salt with light scents of sugar. I now get a sugary candy floss/light toffee apple smell with a bit of salt smell but it adds to the fragrance. I would now say the smell is good and better than meh. I guess you have to give it time to grow on you.

gregk
gregk

I got a decent sample size of this from MFK. There were a few people who mentioned crushed candy or rubies in their reviews, which was something that set my expectations, and I think they were dead on. It comes off as having a fruitiness that a hard candy would have, one of those non-descript flavors that you can only say tastes 'red'. It is warm and bright the whole way through, lasts for hours, and projects like crazy. Imo it is easily unisex without leaning in either direction. I was noticed and got a compliment from a female friend of mine. My male friend on the other hand simply said "rocking the cologne hard tonight". Ah well :) I think I will continue to use this for nights out at times where I might have gone with something like Original Santal before.

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

A very faint "I don't know what i should be" skin scent.

Should i be woody? Yes but please let me be very faint.
Should i be floral? Yes but please let me be very faint.
Should i smell like Fir resins? Yes but please let them be very faint.
Should i be sweet? Yes but please, make sure it's faint.

What a rip off.

This literally smells like sugared water, yes literally, yes the real actual sugared water they give you when your blood sugar is low or when you feel you're going to faint.

To be fair, the top notes smell of something: Yarn pink candies for girls.

Later on, I detect some ambery fir resins and woods along with the masterfully blended sugared water!

Tom Ford Vert D'encens is 10000000000000 times better.

Thank God for sampling.

kisnatek
kisnatek

This is not oriental, it´s a floral woody fragrance. Lots of lovely, long lasting wood notes, fresh and radiant, with a little soft flower note playing in the background. One little jasmine violin. Love it!

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

"Baccarat Rouge" is a warm, sensual, enveloping, sticky-sweet scent, that evokes the smell of melted Gummie Bears and crushed Jolly Ranchers rubbed into dry cedar bark. The saffron provides a leathery nuance, while a layer of peppery fir gives a rugged, fuzzy, plush texture beneath the syrupy resin notes and glittery jasmine.

It's rich, strong and very persistent, lasting up to 9 hours on my skin. Despite the sweetness, I did not find it cloying or nauseating. There's a muskiness to it that smells like an intimate hug. Very sexy and sophisticated.

One downside, I suppose, is that I have smelled many women wearing very similarly musky, sweet scents which were most definitely NOT in the price range of "Baccarat Rouge", so if uniqueness is something you're after it might not be worth the money.

Mojan
Mojan

Testing this beauty yesterday, I got so hypnotized that felt no other choice but to hand my card over to the SA and receive a bottle of this.
This is the most expensive fragrance I've ever bought and I'm still debating myself: To be or not to be (worth that high price tag).
I don't think I would find the answer though, Hamlet didn't either. LOL!
Anyways, I'm so glad I have it in my collection now and how it appeared almost magically in my hands. And I do enjoy walking in my fantasy garden of evergreen woods, where the fir and cedar trees bloom sweet saffron jasmines.

amirali0072000
amirali0072000

Bacarat rough
One word, nostalgic!
Beautiful ,sweet ,woody fruity and resinous smell.
The combination of its notes makes an fruity affect; like a raw mango.
Totally comforting.lasts a lot.
Good staff.

babypoison
babypoison

woody and sweet but too light for my taste.

EmmaSmells
EmmaSmells

I bow-down to the originality of this conceptual fragrance. Maison Francis Kurkdjian has captured the abstract and almost inconceivable olfactoral nuance of molten glass and luxury crystal in 'Baccarat Rouge 540'. The number 540 indicates the temperature needed to achieved the red colour of Baccarat crystal.

To me it smells like crushed red rubies, Himalayan sodium chloride, a whisper of pink candyfloss and a touch of dried minty toothpaste. Maybe this is what fairies wings might smell like - delicate, magical and transparent? It reminds me of the mineral residue which remains on your sun-kissed skin after swimming in the sea and being on the beach - usually a smell that you strive to wash off, not smell like. It's creation is impressive but I don't wish to smell like this.

Today my boyfriend declined to kiss me goodbye. When I questioned him as to why he replied; "I don't like your perfume".

'Interesting' is not always sexy nor pretty.

matty64

My deluxe sample lasts for over 24 hours. Unforgettable!

Buysblind
Buysblind

Baccarat Rouge seems almost too simple at first. You get a light whiff of something sweet--a vague cotton candy note over a nondescript synthetic woods, and an odd off-note that smells strangely like glue and...that's it. It seems unfinished. Incomplete and empty. Flat. But then you wear it again a couple more times and suddenly it opens itself up to you. The sweetness becomes addicting, bolder and harder to label. It's not like cotton candy at all really. The woodiness holding it together develops a fuzzy texture and you notice its tenaciousness on your skin and that its deeper than you first perceived. The fir resin becomes the star of the show, presenting something more in line with the sweet sap of a pine tree than an artificial candy. Beneath it there is a warm, alluring nuttiness that permeates the scent. It jumps out even more on fabric causing your shirt to smell wonderful. It blends with the sweet and I'm reminded of Boston Baked Beans.The next time you wear Baccarat Rouge the jasmine shows up, adding a new dimension to the opening, a pretty touch of florals to help balance the sweet woody aroma that dominates. Suddenly, the fragrance is not as simple as you'd first thought. This is an addictive smell that gets better and better the more you wear it. It's a compliment magnet. I haven't met one person who dislikes it on me and in fact I've received positive comments from complete strangers (which almost never happens to me). It seems to genuinely make people happy and draw them in. When you wear this, you'll catch wafts of it throughout the day, and you'll think "mmmm...something smells really good," and at first you might not even realize it's you. The same happened to me when I began wearing Amyris Homme. But then you realize that indeed, the smell is coming from you, and more specifically, from Baccarat Rouge. Then you're hooked. It's been chided for being cloying and overly-sweet and synthetic, but I actually find the composition to be on the subtle side. It's no shrinking violet but it's not loud in any way, and it's not obnoxious. Its different aspects reveal themselves patiently, everything's not upfront and in your face. Sample this, to see if it has the same effect on you, but be sure to wear it at least two times. I recommend three. Baccarat Rouge is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. It's a pleasure to wear and it seems to be received remarkably well. Thumbs up!

ularewolf
ularewolf

I'm sorry to people who like this, but this is the most banal, unimaginative, biggest cash grab of the century from a fragrance. This literally smells like some pool water with sugary candyfloss thrown in.

This fragrance must be the most synthetic, volatile garbage ever produced, and I sadly do not know how MFK came to make this and even more crazy, how Baccarat managed to say, "This is the perfect fragrance for us!"

I don't think I've ever been so frustrated with a fragrance, I am trying to see the hype around this and there is nothing there, just utter disappointment.

Try it for yourself, but in the end I think you can best spend your money elsewhere, or if you want a fragrance like this, go to one of the knock-off fragrance stores and go buy one of those and get ripped off there; At least you won't lose $300 from one bottle.

M. Shehryar
M. Shehryar

very linear but sensual and sexy in an elegant way. candy vibe turn your personality like caring and loving one with dynamic qualities. overall it is sign board of rich and soft aspects one can possess in real life. of course it is masterpiece, worth of each penny yet needs some fine tuning by the perfumer like slight touch of some dark base note and some bright spiciness etc....longevity is excellent, silage is gentle, quality is rich....I just love it....

Crushed rubies.

Got about 4 compliments today. Even had to write the name down for someone. I felt so sexy.

A must-have.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I get the salty mineral vibe some one here mention, but overall its a light slightly sweet woody floral. Its very transparent and doesn't linger or project much. It's sophisticated and refine, which is a plus, its just too soft and evasive for my taste. I really can't say anything bad about it but I can't heap too much praise on it either. Ill just close by saying: its really nice. B+

LLB_addict
LLB_addict

I fell in love at first whiff. This is now my 2nd most expensive bottle I own lol I am quite shocked at the notes. So much wood and both cedar and jasmin can get wonky with my chemistry. But WOW! It is like this fragrance was made just for ME.

seannyboy01
seannyboy01

Dead winter definitely smells of a hypothetical crushed ruby. Even though I don't that that would smell at all. So piercing and if it projects for you which it does me it becomes obnoxious and nose piercing. Un wearable for me and the scent I'll rate as a 3/10 for me. Performance 10/10 in longevity and within its projection range is potent only projects in around an elbows length for me but it never quits in that range. Way too strong for this kind of smell.

Sezyvex
Sezyvex

This one has me mesmerised for some odd reason. I cannot make out what it is yet it has this strange allure.

The first time I tried it on skin and on a blotter, the smell transferred onto the sleeve of my sweater and it just wouldn't leave even after I had washed it. I smelled the blotter every day for 2 weeks. The 3rd week I had my bottle so had to let go of the blotter! haha!

I still do not understand what this is but I do get something medicinal like others have mentioned. It did hit me that it could be saffron because if a more than few sprigs fall into my food accidentally, the food is a bit bitter and bold in it's smell and flavour.

There's a sweetness in this which is a bit bitter too... I have a memory from my childhood school days spent in Kashmir in a third world country. There used to be many stalls that people had wheeled in to make some money off the children's parents when they came to pick them up after school. It was like a mini circus with all these people displaying their skills of blowing balloons, creating on the spot ice sickles, making up fruit salads, popping fresh popcorn etc to lure in greedy children like me lol!

There also used to be a confectionery stall that made fresh candy floss in a large steel pot (Maybe fire burning underneath it to produce heat!) by adding coloured sugar and stirring it vigorously and then gathering the straw-like fine coloured particles onto a stick!! It used to be amazing!!! The aroma that came from that process somehow takes me back there to that stall, that strange bitter, resinous, somewhat burnt sugar taste and smell, that was very enjoyable at the time and that thing is very evocative of BC540 to me. The candy-floss in the West is totally different in taste and smell. It's light and cotton like but the one I am talking about is dense!

So all in all, the longevity for me is stellar and silage is remarkable to say the least and I found it for an excellent price so I am not going to complain because there is just no reason for it :D

Gileshowe
Gileshowe

This smells so distinctly like other people ie people who aren't me, particularly hot guys who do sports and wear tank tops on the tube and for two minutes they break your heart unwittingly sharing the intimate scent of their cleanliness; the combination of their grooming products,laundry soaps, and virility combine into a very compelling and totally addictive scent bubble which is perfectly improved upon by this scent. This cimposition is so far removed from my own personality and tastes (I like opulent and complicated rather than fresh and polite) but I find myself very drawn to this and even blushing around it, as if I caught myself in the mirror with someone else's face. It's cold, metallic, sporty, ozonic/aquatic, without much soul or personality,and with a clear mainstream commercial sensibility but a much higher quality somehow. At first I smelled an overdose of ambroxan and fond it very boring, but returning to it I find myself catching it on the wind and finding it very appealing and distracting. Another reviewer described it as mall-like and I think thats because it does have a similar style as the A&F scent they pump into their store. It is also papery like a reprographics office, manufactured-smelling like a shop full of new shoes, and a little like dew collecting on skyscrapers and city streets. This is a fantastic daytime fragrance for a fit and sporty self-assured male and nothing about it would give anyone the hint that he was in any way eccentric, vain, or out of the ordinary aside from smelling contemporary and uncommonly appealing. It smells like the cool kid, basically. The one who got cable before everyone else and had the best shoes and got pulled out of school to go to disneyland during termtime and was great at sports and ubiquitously popular. If you want to be that kid grown up, you wear this.

YouSmells
YouSmells

This is a "First Impression," I'll follow up later after more dry-down and another test:

At this point, it goes in my "YouTube-Duped Again" closet, for which I'm developing a long and embarrassing chain of once-tricked twice the fools.

I've finally learned that I MUST stop listening to any youtube reviewer who is under 30 years of age. They do not have wide enough experience with scents no matter how many they have, so they're not aware of older scents that are being repeated today.

This is one such example.

I am not slamming it out right, but I'm disappointed. This is being touted as "THE" lady-killer. It AIN'T. It is VERY candy. It smells...kid you not...EXACTLY like one of our local malls. One of these malls is permeated with the smells of their foodie vendors, most of which are low-quality junk food.

"Low quality junk food"...I guess that was kinda redundant.

I regret to say it is also our grungiest mall, and one frequented only if forced to. They are in fact as we speak converting it into an outlet mall due to the lack of traffic.

Maybe the lack of traffic is because it smells like Baccarat Rouge 540.

It's a "cute" scent, but so candy and sweet as to be quite immature. I could see perhaps layering it with a select frag or two, but not at this price level. It should be priced at one third its current cost. It's easily designer quality, (yes that was a slam) and no-way more than that.

I'm absolutely open to unisex, but this is pretty girlie. Not getting much floral, just getting a lot of Disney World gift shop, perhaps a must-have for my 8 year old niece.

More later.

RBZ
RBZ

This is a sweet fragrance and it is amazing. Cedar and amberwood produce a caramelized sugar feel that is kind of gourmand. Sugar is what I mostly get out of this but in the best way, not overly sweet or cloying. It has a creamy and woody feel to it and turns more woody as it dries down on my skin. I typically avoid anything with jasmine as I find it too feminine but it is very shortlived here and could actually be what keeps this fragrance away from cloying territory. Notes are very well blended, smell natural and of high quality, producing a very relaxing aroma that smells rich and expensive. Can be worn year round, except very hot summer days, both formal and casual in my opinion. Performance is beast mode. Longevity is beast mode. Silage is beast mode. Very very well blended and very high quality ingredients. 8/10

Edit: 9/10 and climbing.

jtd
jtd

Kurkdjian excels at creating well turned-out perfumes. Smooth, seamless perfumes with lovely olfactory shapes and pleasant profiles. Of course, he also makes Cologne and Absolue pour le Soir, two of the dirtiest roses available, so he’s not limited to olfactory pleasantry. Still, most of the Maison Francis Kurkdjian perfumes have a mannered quality. Where various perfume lines promise Arabian fantasy or minimalism or narrative, MFK offers the comfort of normalcy. Only better. MFK gives us the mainstream, but with a perfection that negates the inherent dullness found in middle of the road.

Take the Amyrises. They are luxe versions of what you might find on the department store fragrance counters at any given moment—they are designed to be. They might not draw your attention at a distance, but up close the fit looks just too good to be off-the-rack. They balance a prim detachment with a wink to let you know that there’s more here than just an idealized designer perfume.

Baccarat shares the refined, muted quality of the Amyrises but not their designer style. It is more abstract and uncluttered. The polish, the precious-metal glow that many of Kurkdjian’s perfumes have is there, but the shape is less conventional. It riffs on a mainstream sensibility, but less so than the Amyrises.

The opening of the perfume matches the the nearly-fruity scent of fir to a juicy orange but cuts the sweetness with a mineral edge. The saltiness and a cotton-candy note circle each other, yet Baccarat 540 skips the lingering caramel predictability of the current run of praline perfumes. The specific notes seem to recede over time as large olfactory images come into focus. A marine/ambergris shape gives a balanced, synthetic profile to the heartnotes. The sweet/nutty pairing holds together through the drydown giving a cozy coherence from top to bottom.

Unusual? Yes.

Edgy? Not in the least.

Interesting? Try it and see.

samuelgustav
samuelgustav

This is indeed, very intriguing scent, very unique. In store they sprayed it on the paper and my reaction was "this is indeed very unique, kinda strange, but addictive as hell, I put the paper on my pocket and went home.

Now, the piece of paper is sitting near me, and I started to get waffs of something gorgeous, it was from this, the dry-down, wow, just wow! so addictive!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Aha!

Now I see why the reviews differ so much, this has more changes and facets within five minutes than the Scottish weather where I live!

It's clever because it's multi-faceted, like crystal. Also, the beginning is bright, sparkling orange/sweet amber, like fire. Then it becomes like burnt sugar - more smoky, before quite quickly settling into a clean, clear herbacious floral with a salty hint of ambergris. So, the smoke of molten glass in fire I suppose, followed by the clear, cooled crystal.

I've watched several glasmakers in action, slightly different from crystal maybe, but it's beautiful to watch and if you're moulding it you have to be super quick and dextrous before the molten glass cools.

Baccarat Rouge is odd, quite unique in drydown with the herbal clean aspect - sage does go really well with salty ambergris though.

On first spray I'm reminded of Eau des Merveilles (woody/salty/orange)Then as it becomes smoky, like caramelised sugar, it reminds me a bit of Attar Al Kaaba by Al Haramain. There's a medicinal quality too that's similar to Al Kaaba (in this perfume sage maybe?) but that stage changes within minutes to this clear, herbal scent that still has wiffs of burnt salty sugar. The floral aspect is subtle.

Pretty unusual overall (though not all out weird, like some of, say, Luten's more 'out there' offerings!). Francis Kurkdjian is a true artist with all these notes and effects, he could equally have have produced a linear perfume that stays the same start to finish, with entirely different textures and effects, so to me the mercurial, changeable character of Baccarat Rouge 540 seems to be an artistic expression of the making of crystal itself.

Ooooh how conceptual and arty! I'm enjoying it though, I find this creativity uplifting.

It's a classy scent too, the sugariness calms in dry down, and it's definitely unisex. I can smell the sage and it makes me think of those witchy dried sage stick bundles you light to 'clear' your home.

The sage and salty/sweet ambergris remain most, to my nose, in dry down. Sillage moderate, longevity about five hours on my skin

shushkin
shushkin

Very nice but is it worth the hefty price tag? I love the sweet resin and wood notes. The ambergris adds a marine saltiness which I really like. Its almost savory. Its at this stage that it does remind of Elixir des Merveilles Hermes. You might be forgiven to think that will be it but no, gradually the flowers make their presence known. It stays gorgeous through outs timeline. If I could justify spending a wod of cash on a fragrance then I would wear it on cool days. Moderate sillage but it seems to last forever! It is indeed perfectly unisex. Very cosy and moreish.

drakecito
drakecito

Very light and very sweet.
It's like a son of "declaration" (less spicier) and "Allure Homme" but with an extra added sugar.

Sillage soft (weak) with good longevity.

Nice (maybe) but too expensive (overrated).

A big pass for me.

Arsenal Till I Die
Arsenal Till I Die

Acqua e Zucchero light. If you can even call it that seeing as there both nearly as sweet as each other.

I don't get the Feirce or Legend comparison but our noses are different and different scents trigger different memories and associations and what this does smell EXTREMELY similar to is Profumum Roma's Acqua E Zucchero. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 it's nice stuff but if you don't like very sweet fragrances, steer clear. It has a touch less of that burnt sugar vibe compared to AeZ but none the less very sweet like fairy floss, cotton candy etc. You might as well fork out for the profumum Roma if you like baccarat as you'd get more juice and maybe a touch better staying power even though it's no slouch in that department. I had my sister smell Zucherro not long ago and she immediately said fairy floss, today i let her smell baccarat and she said the exact same thing and thought I showed her the same fragrance so make of that what you will. Id say I prefer the MFK as it seems a touch more smoothed out and as I said before, has slightly less of that burnt sugar vibe. If those two smell alike then surely pink sugar comes into the picture as well?

shravanevana
shravanevana

Wow, just wow...this is the gold standard of Masterpieces for me! Smells like the amalgamation of thousand red rubies crushed together! LOVE! :D

marianico
marianico

I'm interesting, but If this is like A&F Fierce, I think that it'll be a big dislike for me...

More than 200$ for something like Fierce (well, more than 20$...)
It's a joke??

lilymorena
lilymorena

Judging from the notes and the price I would never order a sample of this one, but I got a sample to test. Odd scent pure masculine or for a strong sport woman. I smell no flowers but a green wood note that stays all the way through. It is not the green of leaves but the green of wood and trees. It is different and not the thing I usually smell but if I could compare it to another scent then Chanel Cristalle is the first what come to my mind.

jacobbonilla
jacobbonilla

Interesting that this reminds people of AF fierce. Cartier Declaration reminds me of a grown man's Fierce, and this MFK reminds me of Declaration with amber added. Very classy.

Guinea54
Guinea54

These reviews seem all over the place. Some saying fir and balsam, some saying sweet cotton candy, others saying woody jasmine or ambergris. After reading through these reviews, I don't have an iota of what this smells like. But you know what, for this absurd price, I think I will pass.

@muzzbait
I wouldn't go to "fierce" direction on neither the quality nor the creation idea. "fierce" is just a powered up liquid that causes headaches. But Baccarat Rouge has something stingy and sort of evil, and once Doran gray came to my mind, "romanza" by masque appeared and I found out that both have similarities and quite big similarities specially when Baccarat cools down, and I guess it's the narcissus flower.

muzzbait
muzzbait

Q80: I'm in the same boat as you! Something sharp...stinging...can't put words to it...
it reminds me of 'fierce' by abercrombie and fitch. i know people will hate me and disagree with me on that, but it's that loud, rubbery musk smell that haunts me. it's brutal. it's certainly unique, but just doesn't sit on me well...

Q80

There is something stinging or something that makes my nose feels heavy and stuffed full when i sniff this fragrance somehow! something balsamic, gluey, and sharp (sharp most probably is the saffron), but the feels is like a gluey cedar with some fern, fir, and some agarwood! as the jasmines show up later on with it's softness touch.

Quite interesting as well but not that unique, and i can't deny that it is quite captivating as it captivated me already. Also 22 hours on a blotter and still going on strong, & steady.

Oh yes, now i know where did i smell this, it has something similar with Romanza by Masque! i guess it's the dark bright double face which is presented by the narcissus flower.

summer_88
summer_88

I am in LOVE with this fragrance. I was walking around John Lewis in London and could smell something amazing... I followed the scent until I came to this bottle, sprayed it on a card and have kept it in my bedroom every since. It has led me to discover that I am completely infatuated with amber! There's something about it, sweet but not overly and then the slight muskiness it has.

So the sprayed card I have, STILL has the scent on it 2 months later. I went into Liberty today to try again but on my skin. I do love it but it didn't last as long as I had expected. I was hoping to get a sample to take away and try before I invest in a £150 bottle of perfume but sadly the assistant wasn't very forthcoming. Anyway, stunning scent. Truly haunting, it has been on my mind since the day I found it. I don't think I have ever come across something this beautiful, it's on another level.

I WILL get a bottle...

Liquidasset77
Liquidasset77

Update: This drives woman crazy!!
This fragrance is one that truly relies on the wearers chemistry. I've worn this several times testing in several different environments and what I've come to see is on me its a masculine scent that captures the essence of sweet ripe blood oranges and saffron infused Amber accords. It blurs the line no further than one would say of le Male ( and by association Amouage Reflection Man), Tom Ford's Noir extreme or even the fruity sweetness of PR's one million and even the new Ultra Male. This is a genuinely good fragrance for dates and close encounters situation due to the moderate projection but great silage. Also it stays on skin 12+ hrs forming comfortable yet intimate bubble for the wearer and his companion. Is it worth $300? That's up to you. I will say this I own and have tested and smelled worse at a comparable price point.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Beautiful Baccarat Rouge 540 refined and sophisticated perfume,stands out. The opening is not my favorite part, is in the drydown that the fusion happens the magic of crystal. Every note it intersects perfectly with the other, creating a very interesting scent....ambergris is considerable and fantastic. The sillage is good, longevity is enormous,lasts all day. I have no other words to say... this is a Masterpiece!.

Sillage: 8./10
Longevity: 9.5/10

Overall: 10./10

fuggerone
fuggerone

love at first sniff huge duration and very good sillage, pure classines bottled..unisex!

elena.kurlaviciute
elena.kurlaviciute

It's definitely interesting. And the scent stays on my skin for the whole day!

Stella-Maris2
Stella-Maris2

Somewhat fruity and sweet to my nose, despite the Perfume Pyramid notes listed above. Lovely, bright, clean. Around $300 CDN for a 70 ml bottle--high end of my price range, but truly lovely enough to consider.

Laurelien

Regarding price for those of you who live in the UK, it is a lot cheaper if you get it directly from MFK's own website, as it's priced in euros, and the pound is strong at the moment. So £195 is more like £150, saving a good 45 on liberty/john lewis or wherever. Plus, their online shop is good. Ive ordered samples online. I also called their boutique in Paris regarding a discontinued product, and they were so nice (and spoke English! I was all ready with google translate, then froze up, and the sales assistant was so helpful), I paid on the phone. I hope this helps.

curvealert
curvealert

This is a very beautiful, well-made scent with epic lasting power. The amber is sweet, creamy and gorgeous, and well supported by the masculine notes. It's also £195 a bottle. My suggestion for those who naturally balk at such prices is to check out Hermes L'Ambre des Merveilles. It's fairly similar and just as lovely.

mrsg34
mrsg34

This is so intriguing, first blast I honestly thought this would be a dislike but after a few minutes the burnt syrup blast is gone and the perfume morphs into the most unusual, beautiful scent. I like heavy hitters normally but this is transparent yet you are constantly aware of its presence. I've never experienced a scent quite like it and can't really put into words what it actually smells of! I smell the cedar note and a light, soft jasmine which suits me fine as I dislike jasmine as a heavy, indolic interpretation. It's melancholic and I think I have genuinely stumbled on a little masterpiece, it's expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I need to explore this house in more depth as Baccarat Rouge 540 is not your run of the mill offering and I do hope the rest of the collection is of a similar vain.

Marli1973
Marli1973

It is definitely on my wanting list!
Great staying power!
I just know when I have to have a full bottle!
Gorgeous! beautiful!

Kolchan
Kolchan

I've been wearing this scent for 2 days now and I must say as soon I sprayed it on it reminded me straight away of Eau des Mervellies by Hermes. Similar cedar-pine-resin theme in both fragrances, but in my opinion Hermes has done a better job.

Baccarat Rouge stays quite linear on my skin, it's very fresh woodsy smell that has almost metalic or glass aspect to it. Jasmin here is nonindolic and it's berely detectable, which is a good thing for me personally.

It's a decent offering on the market nowadays, however I don't find it too unique. The fragrance was supposed to evoke a feeling of the fragility of Baccarat crystals. I do get that, but unfortunately it's not my cup of tea.

kousuisei
kousuisei

Very 'transparent' scent that comes and go during the day. Very very long lasting. It is one of the first scents I actually got someone running after me to ask what I was wearing. The smell is very fresh and sweet, but not cloying. Only one spray per wrist is sufficient, any more than that and it will be too intense.

BlackVanilla
BlackVanilla

Love this scent! the sweet notes carry out all day and I like the lingering smell - worth it to me

rnasim
rnasim

Most perfumes smell good only at the beginning, at opening, when you just spritz it, first 30 minutes. In 1-3 hours, after complete dry down, most fragrances don't really smell anything interesting.

Baccarat Rouge 540 is constructed the other way around - opening is full of caramel and burnt sugar but in 40 - 60 minutes this perfume changes by 180 degree. It unhides exciting aromatic jasmine with hints of cedar and citrus. Its turns from treacly syrupy into refreshing floral fragrance and remains so for many many hours. Fantastic creation, I love it and so do people around me.

Martin94
Martin94

I tried this today. This is gorgeous. I can't describe what I smell, but it's sweat but not too much. I really wanted to buy this, but the shop assisstant told me that this is too feminin. So I kind of don't know what to do now.

Lipglossjunkee
Lipglossjunkee

I recently purchased a generous decant of Ciel de Gum, and the wonderful seller included a carded sample of this beauty. It immediately became full bottle worthy and I had a gorgeous bottle on it's way to me within an hour of trying it.
Quality ingredients, interesting notes, expert blending, and gorgeous presentation. The Fir Resin and Cedar are very prominent in the opening on me (I always get the basenotes first on fragrances, not sure why). The saffron and amberwood lend a sweetness--almost a berry quality to it. This is fresh + sweet + a tiny bit masculine, without being too much of any of those things. Some people get Christmasy, and I definitely can see why--it's crisp and feels outdoorsy. But I can't wait to wear this one in the cool Spring air and see how it performs. Definitely full bottle worthy, even at the price they are asking!
I'm very very excited to explore more MFK scents as the 2 I've tried have really gotten me hooked.

Exenidi
Exenidi

I have recently started exploring MFK, and I really love the latest 2 creations Amyris and this one. What a great combination of ingredients in both cases!!! full bottle worthy - great light BUT unforgettable fragrances. Nothing that could possibly make you feel sick, no dust, no overpowering oud, office safe .... Cinderella frags:-) what I mean - amongst the rich jealous of thier market success others - these one stand out in their simplicity and elegance ..

Maric86
Maric86

I just recently came across MFK and was curious about his creations, so I blind bought Baccarat Rouge 540 a week ago. The ingredients sounded promising and delicious, a combination I ve never seen before.
But what a serious let down.
First of all it smells the same from the moment you apply until hours later, there is absolutely NO change or even a different smelling drydown.
To me it smells like candy floss all the way and not the good kind! Even if I like sweet fragrances, this one is plain and simple boring and I agree with others about the ridiculous price tag!
In conclusion this may be a scent for women over 50 IF the want to smell as if they stuck their head in a cotton candy machine.

Katie Kaboom
Katie Kaboom

While I'm more of a Creed fan, there's something amazing about this one! Well played MFK......well played!

Laurelien

Another top-notch perfume from MFK. This one is definitely less feminine than the likes of amyris and feminine pluriel, though not masculine, but very interesting and pretty unique. It has the air of MFK, in the sense that there is something about it that is a signature, all of the line, though each different, have a similarity that you know that FK is the nose behind them. I really wanted to try this because I adored the saffron in Oud, but find Oud a bit overpowering, if lovely. The projection was pretty good, rated moderate. I was wearing a long sleeve jumper, and it still wafted up at me all day.

It does sparkle though not overpowering like aqua universalis forte, the top notes were very sweet on me. To hear 'woody floral' in this forum, you wouldnt know it on me, my husband said I smelled like candy floss.. But he liked it. I loved wearing it, sniffing wrists all day. The saffron never came through as in Oud, but I did get a hint of floral jasmine, though I think the blend of it and the saffron and ambergris just came across as an interesting mix that didn't smell floral or spicy or woody. I tend to wear powdery florals well, so if you're like me, You'll like this, it was fresh and clear, like crystal, no real season to mind, not day or night. Just crisp. No fruit/vanilla at all, but felt a little gourmand due to sweetness. I did not get any resin or cedar wood at all, but I think it's there in the blend, they just don't manage to overpower anything... on paper you can smell a hint of fresh wood, but again, it's so subtley blended, you never smell it and think of wood. I think my cotton candy smell gets the caramelized essence from the resin/cedar, but the jasmine and saffron lift it to being sweet, with the ambergris adding the wow factor.. Dry down has lasted ages on me, where most perfumes do not last on me at all. I sprayed it on forearm yesterday around noon, and had it pretty strong all day, into the night, then I'm still getting hints of it today at noon, so ... yum! This page doesn't list ambergris as a base note, though you'll find it listed as a main note on the MFK website. I'm new to notes but agree with Matty64 about the base note dry down being a gorgeous crisp salty mineral powder. In my mind, its fresh crisp bedlinen in a beachhouse. Which is unusual for dry down, normally most are very earthy or woody, I'm not used to having such a crisp, bright dry down.

I've been trying to decide whether to get a la rose or amyris, but now I've got another contender to decide between... this far outlasts the first two, though. This is unusual enough, I think it will make its way to being many's signature scent. Gosh darn it, MFK, I want them all!

claudia0219
claudia0219

I love this fragrance, it works on my skin....I have to say I do not get much Jasmine which is fine with me since I am not really a Jasmine lover. But this on me is not an in your face fragrance, there is something airy and clean about it, I get a lovely fresh woodiness with the fir balsam and cedar, the jasmine mingles quietly in the background. Its warm yet has a coolness to it. I find this unique and lovely.

HUEbris
HUEbris

It smells like Fir+resin. Not fir resin.

muskymoi
muskymoi

You know.....it's a woody floral. And woody florals are a dime a dozen in the saturated world of fragrance. How many woody florals does a person need before you even start to feel like your whole collection is one redundant mortgage payment? Well, I'd easily get rid of all my other woody florals for this one produced by the genius of FK. He is the nexus of modern and vintage perfumery. He adopts both into his craft and I feel privileged to have his creations. Look, it's not revolutionary, but it's pretty and it's special, so it's pretty special to me. Very full bottle worthy as are my other faves from this house, oud satin mood, APOM pour homme, ciel de gum, and Absolue pour le soir. All masterpieces imho.

Calvini
Calvini

Yes, the smell is very Christmas-y for some reason; I picture the exact color on the bottle (burgundy) when I smell this..
Surprisingly masculine in the dry down (I swear there are elements of oakmoss) considering the pretty opening.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I have already reviewed the original release in the original Baccarat crystal bottle.

To me it is a masterpiece and I would consider it the ultimate Christmas scent. This is what Mariah Carey should be wearing when performing in Aspen or Madison Square Garden or wherever else she spoils us with her Classic Christmas Extravaganzas (Live Reindeer Renditions included!).

It is a pity this launch came after Christmas, so now it will be heavily pushed for Valentine's. It is just not cold enough here in London at moment to warrant this being worn.
I will definitely buy a bottle ahead of 2016's Yuletide season.

10/10 MASTERPIECE of abstract perfumery.

jhitt793
jhitt793

I was fortunate enough to first encounter 'Baccarat Rouge 540' while vacationing in New York City in the summer of 2015. Walking down Madison Avenue in July's stifling heat, I came across the beautiful Baccarat boutique and sought refuge in its air conditioned milieu. Gleaming crystal pieces adorned the storefront, sparkling in the afternoon sunlight and enticing passersby to stop and take a closer gaze. Despite all the amazing glassworks around me, my sights immediately fell upon the 'Baccarat Rouge 540' bottle on display, its heart of precious amber liquid calling out for me to experience. With the help of a gracious sales associate, I was suddenly able to deeply inhale the scent of this precious creation which I had been so longing to meet. The attraction was immediate, and well worth the wait. Instantly I was transfixed by the delicate opening scent of citrus peels with blood orange being most prominent. There was an effervescent effect present, as if a champagne cork had just been released. Included hedione (a synthetic jasmine-like note) helps to further add to the scintillating quality of the composition. I felt there was a sugary development as the scent transformed on my skin. It drew visions of artfully spun sugar works, which themselves resemble edible crystalline confections. Later one is embraced with earthy nuances of saffron, while ambergris provides a flinty minerality.

'Baccarat Rouge 540' is one of Mr. Kurkdjian's most transcendent works to date. Its an abstract vision into the world of crystal making. The fragrance is airy and transparent in tone, symbolizing the fragility of its subject matter while paradoxically still maintaining an enduring denseness. As an "eau de parfum" its sillage and longevity are both above average. Each time I've worn the composition I've received numerous compliments from complete strangers all inquiring as to what mesmerizing scent I'm wearing. I feel both men and women can enjoy use of this fragrance, though its jasmine-floral notes and slightly sweet accord can sway somewhat more feminine. Thus far I have only worn 'Baccarat Rouge 540' during the current cold temperatures of January, though I look forward to utilizing it this summer. I feel the summer's heat will only further amplify its ethereal beauty, lifting the lead notes off the skin. As much as I would like to adequately describe 'Baccarat Rouge 540', certain elements of its architecture elude me. Thus, Maison Francis Kurkdjian's newest offering must be experienced first hand, as the enigmatic artistry of this impressionistic masterpiece defies all vocabulary.

Read my complete review at my personal blog:
Fragranceemergency.blogspot.com

matty64

I received a very nice complimentary sample from a MFK rep. @ Neiman Marcus last week and ambergris & jasmine are definitely the two main players in this perfume. Very beautiful, mature fragrance, imho. Also, I saw this on pre-order @ NM website for $300.00. I believe it was a 2.4 ounce bottle. Edit, longevity is way over 12 hours on my skin, sillage is 3-4 feet without being too cloying. Edit to the edit, if you love the ambergris base note in a vast majority of Creed fragrances, then you will love this perfume because it's all about the ambergris. To my nose ambergris is a powdery, salty, mineral note(s). Maybe someone else can offer an opinion. Matty

rossyegio5
rossyegio5

Gelsomini, resina e legno di cedro cristallizzati dalla galaverna.
Sento una forte nota di cotone bianco, dolce e antica.
Il gelsomino è freddo e silente, trasparente come vetro di Baccarat (nome non casuale...).
Muschi da paesaggio islandese, dai contorni nitidi.
Profumo delicatissimo, candido, diafano, invernale.
Per me Absolue pour le Soir rimane capolavoro di forza e sensualità...
Mi ricorda vagamente i nordici muschi di Cynefin RBR.
Sorry.

La DameDeNoir
La DameDeNoir

Even presented in a plain bottle, I find this stuff seriously overpriced.

The notes sound genericaly fashionable and boring.

Today, niche perfumery is beginning to have the same troubles and flaws that the conventional one, but with prices multiplied by seven.

matty64

I'm so happy that MFK decided to make an alternative production of this fragrance because I wouldn't have been able to afford a $4000 baccarat bottle. Thank you, MFK!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.