Designers » M » Floral Fruity Gourmand « Groups

Funfair Evening Maison Martin Margiela for women
dislike

caramel
Funfair Evening Maison Martin Margiela for women Pictures

The house of Martin Margiela is launching a brand new collection of fragrances called Replica, as an addition to the Replica fashion line. The collection of fragrances consists of three perfumes for women named Flower Market, Beach Walk and Funfair Evening. Each of them triggers a characteristic memory and is accompanied with a cotton label describing its provenance.

Perfumers who were invited to participate in creation of the new collection are Jacques Cavallier and Marie Salamagne. Funfair Evening is composed of apple, star anise and a marshmallow along with caramel and orange blossom.

The fragrances are poured into classical, simple bottles similar to those in apothecaries, while their outer carton is illustrated with a photograph reflecting the topic of each of the fragrances.

All three perfumes will be available starting from the end of June 2012, as 100 ml eau de toilette.

Petitgrain Apple Pear Star Anise Neroli

Moroccan Rose Tuberose Orange Blossom

Ambroxan White Musk Tahitian Vanilla Caramel

Falling in Love

Funfair Evening Fragrance Reviews

jillian.brown
jillian.brown

As one who has been to the Santa Monica pier many times, I was a little disappointed that Funfair did not have any marine notes. I also wish the white florals were more prominent, as star jasmine is everywhere in the area in spring and into early summer, and it's quite potent. I also wish there was a hint of tobacco, since fairs often smell like cigarette smoke and kettle corn.

Yet I don't dislike this fragrance. It's a good subtle gourmand, light enough for warm days. The price is pretty hefty for what it is. Try not to pay full price for this one.

Also, don't combine it with Beach Walk like I did. Blech.

mrsg34
mrsg34

This takes alot of stick but to me it is actually reminiscent of walking around the fair that came to town once a year as a kid. The sweet smell of toffee apples, candy floss, I sense some anis, caramel and marsh mellows, wafts of delights you would buy on your way home after riding the dodger and waltzer! The lightness of it makes me feel I'm back on that field, at that fair and to me thats priceless.

cookiedoughmonster
cookiedoughmonster

I was so hoping for a caramel apple marshmallow with this! Alas on my skin all I get is an initial spray of Good and Plentys, followed by Smarties, finally drying down to a gentle floral musk. It's all very nicely done (licorice *never* smells good on me, but this one does!) and authentically yummy smelling, no chemical blast or platic for example. It's just not caramel apple.

Wysteria
Wysteria

I see this one gets a lot of negative reviews which proves to me how different a fragrance performs on each person.
This starts off green on me. It must be the petitgrain and orange blossom. I also get a fresh juicy fruit note (green apple).
Soon it will turn sweeter when the gourmand notes show up. I can clearly smell the marshmallow and caramel notes along with the anise. I really like anise in perfumes, in this one it's very subtle though. This fragrance is never just sweet or gourmand on me. The green and fresh notes stay with me almost until the end.
In the end it's sweet and a little bit musky & powdery with some anise.
I'm not a big fan of gourmands but I like this one because it's not just a gourmand. I don't know if I'll ever buy a large bottle but I'll be happy with a decant.
It's also a very joyful perfume to me and it's quite translucent if you get what I mean. It's never thick or cloying. Give it a try.

Germany
Germany

While candy isn't my thing to eat , i emensly enjoy liquerish and the taste of fennel seeds covered in candy , and this is exactly what funfair evening reminds me of. Anis seeds covered in a sugary shell of candy. Followed by caramel , marsmellows and candied apples. Very much a gourmand fragrance , gorgeous for cooler days but also very suitable in the hot summer. To me this a a great, easy to wear versatile fragrance. Easier to pull of than angel or prada Canada , although prada candy is pretty easy to wear .
I like how the Replica line smells quite natural. He must use very goood ingredients in his fragrances. I love that each fragrance takes us to places and memories , that they smell like things we love and enjoy rather than the smell of perfume. There is a time and a place and a mood for each.
I like a hefty perfume to go out at night or to dinner. But the Replicas are a great choice for just hanging out , inoffensive and cozy , not very dressy nor classy. Just good fun or delicious aromas that are quite addictive.

Love the presentation of the bottles. The apothecary style is well suited for this line. However a lid would be nice for traveling.

DracheMitch
DracheMitch

L'Oréal basically has 5 or 6 perfumes and then tweaks them slightly and re-releases them across their brands. Funfair Evening is basically Yves Saint Laurent Manifesto, which I LOVE and constantly receive compliments on. It is surprising how many Fragrantica users don't understand the Relica range. They're designed to be a complete experience, not a traditional fragrance. The top notes of anise and apple do not last. It is there to add to the entirety of the carnival vibe. When it settles, you get warm vanilla and amber with a touch of orange blossom. I have a full bottle of Manifesto but I still bought this. ADORE

KisaSlater
KisaSlater

Got this today and was super excited...until I sprayed it. Was hoping for a sugary sweet smell but instead was hit with a strong floral smell I'd imagine my grandmother wearing when I was little. Disappointed. *sigh*

Neckromancer
Neckromancer

I love this. If you're looking for a cotton candy fragrance that is still pleasant and inoffensive for the most part, you have to try this. I smell cotton candy with sweet tarts and fruit. The perfume does not smell cheap like most sweet fragrances. It is a bit overpriced though. I don't smell anise, thank God.

Miss Precious Orchid
Miss Precious Orchid

If this is sweet I would like to see what you would make of Jessica Simpson Fancy?All I get is acetone mixed with star anise flavoring. Definate srubber for me.

Mamegoma
Mamegoma

I tried this on my skin in the store today and it smells exactly like Loverdose from Diesel. The star anise gives off that same liquorice scent that you either love or hate.

The initial burst is just a little bit stronger in this one but the drydown is exactly the same as LD. Too bad, I heard good things about Funfair!

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

I had high hopes for Funfair Evening as I love gourmand fragrances. However, upon spraying the fragrance, along with the cotton candy, a synthetic, volatile note also bursts out, which makes the scent very sharp and artificial in an unappealing way. This synthetic nuance does wear off, and the fragrance dries down to a soft caramel and orange blossom, nice, comforting, but not something unprecedented in the gourmand genre. On the test strip, the anise and orange blossom together, actually give out an intriguing 'dirty' edge, but unfortunately, it's entirely lost on my skin.

The sillage is moderate at first, and drops to soft after about 1 hour. The longevity is around 6 hours. I don't entirely dislike Funfair Evening, but I'm not impressed, either. I think there're other more fun or more sophisticated gourmand fragrances with similar combination of notes, and I wouldn't particularly recommend this fragrance.

Lovely36
Lovely36

Based on a sample from Sephora, the candy floss (marshmallow, star anise, caramel combo) was too realistic for me. A dip in pink or blue spun sugar without sophistication. Was there a bit of popcorn in there too? It was wearable but it wasn't expensive perfume (which it should be with that price tag). This scent is exactly what it claims to be: a replica of a funfair. It didn't, however, make me smell or feel yummy. It's an after-the-fair linger rather than an enticement. By comparison, D&G's Pour Femme is marshmallow done right. Similar but feminine and sexy.

[email protected]
nickypoo26@hotmail.com

I tried this at Sephora. It smells like the candy floss stand, but does not remind me of a Fair Ground. It turned to a very light skin scent after about one hour, very hot and humid today so that is probably why. On the whole it is a pleasant scent but not FBW for me.

Now, if you added diesel fumes, warm grease from the rides and fried onions that would bring back sooooo many fond memories.

lala-jaenner
lala-jaenner

Against all other reviews here I must say I liked it a lot, didn't buy it only because it was too expensive and with too little staying power.

The reason I like it is simple - it lives up its name: it really gave me the feeling of a funfair evening, romantic and melancholic at the same time. It's a nice evening, you are happy in that moment but there's also a slightly sad feeling because you know it's going to be over soon. Have you ever felt like this?

So, as Replica is the point of this collection, I say this perfume does it well. If it's good perfumery or not, I think it depends on the point of view. It's not a masterpiece for its notes or staying power but it smells and feels like it's supposed to.

Tiwalii
Tiwalii

This scent has a rather bad reputation. Not many are positive towards it. I can sort of understand why. It has a very sweet and intense smell. Luckily for me my skin handles sweetness very well. I kind of like this one.

Funfair Eveneing is a concoction of sweet candy notes like marshmallow, caramel, cotton candy, candied apple and candied violets (I believe the candied violet note is a result of the combination of orange blossom and star anise, because it is not listed as a note). An intense, playful and fun gourmand that makes you feel like you are in a candy shop - or at a Funfair at Santa Monica Pier in 1994 (which is the inspiration for this scent).

It has a slight musky vibe, although musk is not listed amongst the ingredients. This might also be the combination of orange blossom and star anise, or maybe orange blossom and marshmallow. I lean towards the latter. It reminds me a bit about the musk note in BodyShops White Musk Libertine by Leona Lewis. Also a very sweet gourmand with candy notes.

I think Funfair Evening would work well as a playful, yet cozy and relaxed summer evening fragrance. Can't wait for the weather to become warmer.

The only downside, for me, is that the scent doesn't last that long. It has great sillage when it's there, but it's almost all gone after about 4 hours. Just a faint whiff of red apple is left.

Disneypluis
Disneypluis

Something's wrong with me. Or perhaps with my bottle of Funfair Evening. I've been reading all these comments about it smelling like cotton candy and marshmallow. Well, I do not smell it at all. AT ALL. I find it very hard to describe what I smell. It does smell synthetic, and the drydown does smell a little bit sweet. But I do not recognise anything in it. I've been thinking there's two versions of this perfume. I bought mine in France at a rather "niche" store. I'm sorry I bought it...

heybritney
heybritney

I can understand why people might not like it, it's got a very, very sweet opening, smelling exactly like old school cotton candy. What makes the scent unique, to me, is just after that sweet opening, the scent sort of flawlessly glides into the white floral scent. I love it. Somedays the white floral seems stronger to me, and other days the cotton candy scent seems stronger, if it really bothers you I might layer with another white floral perfume, but this scent is delicious and wonderful. What makes this work for me is that I don't detect chocolate or vanilla or caramel or any of those other sweet gourmand smells, just straight up cotton candy, and it doesn't last long before the floral kicks in and stays (though the floral always ends up smelling sweet and friendly).

Carroll1546
Carroll1546

This perfume is like a high school girl sneaking her first cigarette. It smells sweet, almost like cotton candy, but with a slight smoky, almost tobacco-like smell to it. Very interesting perfume Reminds me of Escada Magnetism. The dry-down definitely smells better than the initial scent.

ellenm22
ellenm22

An absoultely horrfic scent. It reminds me of burnt popcorn and smells cheap and synthetic. Not what I was expecting from one of my favorite designers!

june7rose
june7rose

I've written so many bad reviews lately, I feel like I have to leave a good one! I just love the idea of smelling like the Santa Monica Pier in 1994. This is a fun gourmand. I don't like it $125, but I like it.

Don't really understand the hate. It's not the most exciting scent, but I wouldn't call any of Maison Martin Margiela's scents "exciting". Beach Walk smells like Bobbi Brown Beach, Jazz Club is a simple, boozy leather and the original resembles Mugler Cologne.. all nice, but not a one of them "challenging" or "unique".
Funfair Evening is a pleasant, fluffy gourmand. I like star anise so this one is a winner for me, despite my usual dislike of gourmand scents. No burning plastic or eye searing vanilla to be found.
The marshmallow note actually smells like marshmallow instead of just a generic powdery sweetness. The caramel isn't sticky or overwhelming.
I'm not in a rush to own it, but if I ever find myself feeling the urge to own something gourmand, I will most likely turn to this scent.

Fmcandy
Fmcandy

The ruin of a brand. Margiela used to be outstanding, in everything. This collection is a shame. Even massive brands can make it better. I smelled them alllllll. Crap.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

A pleasant gourmand but without any unpleasant musky notes it's no surprise it doesn't last very long. Lovely, cloud-like, cotton-candy powderiness. Little sillage.

wbp
wbp

terrible to my nose...sweet but in the bad way... cheap plastick smell! sorry!

LaDomna
LaDomna

To me this smells of marshmallow and cotton candy, which is nice and a bit quirky (in a good way) but I wish there was more happening in this scent... It is just so very simple, so boring...

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

I was given a sample , as I tried it in a store, and like it on a papaer. When I came home and decided to try it: nothing special. Can not destinguish any good element for me. Nah...
P.S. What is distinctive is somewhat "plasticky", i like that note.
p.s. I saw the perfumeurs, who was noses in this perfume, strange thing, i like most of their treasures, to name a few Chic (Herrera), boudoir (Westwood)

Trvevil
Trvevil

Saw these, remembered that they're new, but I didn't remember if I wanted to test any, so I picked Funfair Evening. The bottle is so gorgeous and amazing, I liked the sprayer very much xD

The scent is nice too. But... Too common. I did expect something sweet, but high end with some niche quality olfactory experience. Nah... Marshies! This note is very strong and pairs up with good caramel note. The caramel note is soft and makes me suspect it is a real food flavoring here xD As I smelled and enjoyed it, I've got instant idea, that I smelled this somewhere... where? I thought, maybe similar to Loverdose? Uhm... Not quite, maybe just same direction. Then, maybe Royal Desire? Um.. yes quite that. Marshmallow, that one has it too. And it is as yummy, and much much cheaper. Maybe it doesn't have that lasting power, but I'd chose Royal Desire over this one. It's nice but there are many other caramels and vanillas with great quality and not overpriced. Doesn't trigger anything either :3

auroramaria
auroramaria

yes this is really terrible, the drydown is similar to Kenzo Amour but Amour is much better quality,MMM came out with a lovely floral a few years ago but these Replica smell cheap and common

A gourmandic "eau" which is able to be both trendy and obsolete at the same time and in a very bad way. Cheap crap.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Maison Martin Margiela Funfair Evening fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Maison Martin Margiela Funfair Evening, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Funfair Evening by Maison Martin Margiela. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Funfair Evening by Maison Martin Margiela represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.