Designers » M » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Barry Lyndon Maria Candida Gentile for women and men
dislike

herbal
leather
Barry Lyndon Maria Candida Gentile for women and men Pictures Barry Lyndon Maria Candida Gentile for women and men Pictures

Barry Lyndon by Maria Candida Gentile is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for women and men. Barry Lyndon was launched in 2010. The nose behind this fragrance is Maria Candida Gentile. Top notes are green notes and grass; middle notes are artemisia, heather and arnica; base notes are vetiver, vanille and leather.

Green Notes Grass

Artemisia heather Arnica

Vetiver Vanille Leather

Barry Lyndon Fragrance Reviews

dana_sandu_pro
dana_sandu_pro

This is, like most MCGs, a very tight composition (not much to add, not much to subtract without changing it entirely), so let's give Caesar what belongs to Caesar- no matter if you like it or not, respect is due to talent.

I own 6 of her creations, and for all of them I detect some notes that I don't see listed or talked about on their respective pages... in this case, it's an odd green banana accord. I'm not sure what births it, but it's there, made sweeter by chamomile. Many talk about a feeling of warm, live suede or steamed spices (as in wet, soft, warm)- I think this is where it's coming from. I mean, rub banana on a rock and that'll make it fleshy!

Sillage is very low, projection is also low (10in or so), but put it on this afternoon and it'll be there in the morning when you wake up.

Not my favorite, but impeccable, high-quality, and conjurer-of-memories-you-didn't-know-you-had.

polly golightly
polly golightly

meraviglioso accordo, ispirato da una precisa scena del film Barry Lyndon in cui il protagonista cavalca nella campagna inglese, umida, rorida e aromatica. il profumo si apre con un'esplosione originalissima di note verdi, artemisia, vetiver ed erba. quindi l'assestamento su una vaniglia appena percettibile che ammorbidisce la nota di fondo di cuoio discreto. a me, che pure ho difficoltà ad indossare fragranze che sanno di giubba di pelle, piace moltissimo. assolutamente unisex, perfetto con qualunque clima. insomma un nuovo straordinario classico.

girasolina
girasolina

I came across this scent full of desire.
I thought the smell of London that I love and I know, but this seems to Dubai. If only it had been the original I could also appreciate. Inside this mess there are ten drops of Oud Reminescence (which, for the honor of truth, does not contain oud), half a drop of resin that chases Duro by Nasomatto and countless other fragrances of this chemical family. Now I know why lying on the shelf since the day of his birth.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

An interesting and well composed fragrance in light of what the perfumer tried to achieve. It is green with realistic grassy notes, leather, and medicinal heavy anise notes in the opening. When the heather and other herbal notes came in the scent improves but it needs a heavy dose of natural lavender. I did not like it until I tried to wash it off with some natural lavender soap. The mix of the heavy lavender with this fragrance resulted in something really beautiful. My conclusion, unless you just love bitter, earthy and medicinal scents, layer it with a good lavender or avoid it altogether.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Spectacular opening, romantic and lively like an impressionist painting. Top-quality lavender and vetiver, great soft artemisia notes, on a warm and cozy but still delicate and subtle amber-vanillic base. Really bright and crisp. Fresh citrus-peppery notes with just a feel of mentholated earthy liquorice, blended with a spicy-camphor accord, both subtle and aerial. Then a great, vibrant, dense leather note emerges - quite a unique leather note, really "alive" and soft, peculiar and seldom. Sadly it does not last much long. On the drydown, it is in fact so delicate it's almost absent. The drydown tends more on the balsamic and dried-flowers side, with something close to Mitsouko, and again a persistent camphor note (which to be honest gets a bit boring after a while). Then after a while, a twist again, the leather note comes over again with a vanillic aroma. Great persistence. A tiny couple of "no" in an otherwise gorgeous scent!

ana_clo
ana_clo

I found Maria Candida Gentile perfumes by chance in a small shop on my way home tonight. Out of the tree I tried from this line Barry Lyndon caught my attention and nose.

It is a joyful combination where the leather - if it is present at all - plays very well the hyde and seek game. It opened in a fresh minty way developing into a delicate vanilla sheer balsam that sparkles with almost medicinal herbs, it must be the heather and arnica. To me, it is surprisingly uplifting. It stays rather close to the skin once the top notes evaporate which makes it fell comfortable.

I find it quite strange that people put it next to Bvlgari Black, to my nose there is no similarity whatsoever.

Karenin
Karenin

As I consider Stanley Kubrick´s “Barry Lyndon” to be nothing short of a masterpiece, I was very curious to try a scent that was inspired by this film, or, more specifically, by one of its scenes (Barry´s horse ride through the English countryside). I´m relieved to say Maria Candida Gentile´s fragrance does deliver. From the very first moment, the scent feels outdoorsy thanks to green and grass notes. Shortly after that, leather makes its entrance. The note is beautifully rendered. Even though it dominates the heart, it never becomes overwhelming. It evokes the smell of Barry´s saddle mixed with, I dare say, the smell his four-legged vehicle. A few moments later, the leather note becomes a little softer, blending with vanilla. The leather-vanilla combination is my favourite stage in the development of this perfume.

Whenever I wear it, “Barry Lyndon” manages to put me in a contemplative mood. I know the adjective “sophisticated” is brutally overused when it comes to describing fragrances, but Candida Gentile´s creation is a perfect embodiment of this characteristic. It´s also an intimate perfume and an ideal companion for a quiet evening in when I pour myself a glass of wine, open a good book, or just let the ideas in my head run riot. A marvellous fragrance from an incredibly talented perfumer!

Stanley Kubrick's film Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece. How is Maria Candida Gentile's perfume? Well, it smells good, no doubt about that. It reminds me quite a lot of Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris. Vanilla leather with some vetiver and herbs. I'd say that the presentation of the leather is less pronounced than in Midnight in Paris, so this might be a good choice for someone who was bothered by it in the Van Cleef & Arpels version.

In fact, I'd say that there is a continuum of this sort of fragrance, beginning at the extreme end with Bvlgari Black, which I myself find unwearable. Next in line is Midnight in Paris, and at the other terminus of refinement and subtlety would lie Barry Lyndon. I like this composition and believe that anyone who appreciates either Bvlgari Black or Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris would enjoy Barry Lyndon as well.

cloyd42
cloyd42

I had no hopes for this at all--a perfume named after one of my favorite books about a total scoundrel. I expected something vaguely green and shamrocky but, by god, she nailed it. This opens cool and green--almost minty. In a few minutes the balsam and heather come up--very classic and very well done. Then the surprise that makes this so good: a note that alternates between tar and something quite bitter. The only word I can think of for the note is "insolent". The note never goes away but it does move toward the background leaving leather, green notes and balsam in the foreground with just enough vetiver to make it a bit salty. As I said before a beautifully built classic fougere but with a twist that makes it memorable. Not a scent for beginners but well worth knowing. My only complaint--for an EdP it has a rather short life.

Sillage: conversational, 2-3 feet
Duration: 1-3 hours
Fabulosity: excellent port wine
Value to price: reasonable

42gr
42gr

Liberal sprays.

Top note balsam resin, high pitched tone, antiseptic, very pleasant desirable.

Within 5 minutes, heart appears. A surprise creosote and tar (the opinion of two people). Sharp contrast. Clever use of an offset scent. Not unpleasant. Lasts maybe another 5 minutes.

Base note now appears about 10 to 15 minutes after the first sprays. Gentile, sweet musk like quality, linear.

The top and heart notes linger within a 1 to 2 foot radius.
Base note hugs pretty much close to the skin.

Top and Heart took perhaps 15 minutes at most to unfold.
Base note lingers for about 8 hours.

Short longevity is probably being reported due to low sillage
(it gets harder to detect that the scent is still there).

Repeated the exercise, same results.

Summary
Masterful use of scent pallet. 4.7 /5
Top and middle notes unfold very quickly
Sillage is poor, particularly on base note. 2/5
Unisex

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

Ok, here's my take on this masterpiece.
First of all, take a look at or bring back to your memory the scene in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon when he rides away to a new life, with 20 guineas in his pocket, at the beginning of the movie. He's full of dreams and ambitions, and he wants to bite life's ass. Sorry for my use of words. :)
MCG has captured that scene. It's a moment that we all have experienced at least once in our lives, that magic minute when you leave every burden behind you and move to a new direction, counting only on yourself.
In order to make it justice, I'll try to describe this perfume from two different points of view. Here's the notes: you can smell the aromatic plants of the country Barry's riding in, the saddle of the horse (smell carefully and you'll see that it's not the smell of a pair of gloves or a new purse, it's a real saddle), the horse itself. And then you'll smell the powder of the courts of his future.
Second take: the emotions. Barry Lyndon will give you the feel of an early morning full of promises. Your new life is ahead of you, and it'll be great. All your expectations, no matter how great, will be your reality of tomorrow. All you have is yourself, and you're going to find out that you're capable of much, much more than everyone, including yourself, expected.
I don't know how MCG could convey so much in a fragrance, but she did. Hats off. Now please let me smell it again, and think about my life and expectations. How many perfumes make you do this?

Postumo
Postumo

Good fragrance, but i feel its drydown too similar to Chanel Egoiste (not a bad thing, of course)

guido2663
guido2663

Not the most original frag you can find but absolutly not badly performed and definitely completely different fron Farhrenheit. Yes, it's an elite or niche frag few people are aware of it: minimum 3+Gentile+ 16 people voting it+ all the shop assistants etc.
Write about a product you like if you like something!

goateepg
goateepg

to be loved, brings you the insight, it is perhaps a bit 'sad, but the mere fact that produces tiny shocks deep in the self ... is a great scent. It was created with visceral love, like all creatures of Maria Candida ... and feels!!

daniela3
daniela3

Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful Barry Lyndon! Also a good news in a grey world: even nowadays there are still creators whose talent and ability produce emotions on us when we are so lucky to come across their works! I read somewhere (I'm sorry not to be very precise!) that M.C. Gentile while inventing "her" Barry Lyndon took inspiration from the film more than the novel itself. So she was visualizing the hero - in a moment of the plot - while he was trying to escape, riding through the English countryside. I can see more than this.... Sometimes descriptive fragrances could sound like descriptive music: just student's home-works more or less predictable; more or less precise more or less unuseful and really boring, no doubt! This fragrance - for me - is a sort of concentration of "dusty" light in a bottle. The "Nose" can handle with a light hand different "heavy" substances (for instance the leather here used is more similar to saddle leather than to glove one) BUT keeping always in mind the sense of measure. Not too much of... not too little of. Every element seems to go hand in hand with the other. The result - according to my skin is an immersion in reach notes (as usual, much more than those indicated in the piramid above!) recreating a rarefact atmosphere.
Probably I'm changing too much or... getting older: I've never got crazy for aromatic or fougere fragrances all my life, up to now! Longevity is also very good, discreet silllage: it as an elegant frag. after all! I've tried B. L., this morning but perhaps it is better not for the too cold season but for fall and spring.
p.s. One hour ago, I sprayed it on 2 my male friends: even better than on me.
If polygamy weren't forbidden (in my country) I would ask their hands instantly!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Maria Candida Gentile Barry Lyndon fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Maria Candida Gentile Barry Lyndon, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Barry Lyndon by Maria Candida Gentile. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Barry Lyndon by Maria Candida Gentile represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.