Designers » M » Chypre Fruity « Groups

Plum Mary Greenwell for women
dislike

tuberose
Plum Mary Greenwell for women Pictures

Make-up artist Mary Greenwell introduced her first perfume Plum in autumn 2010. The perfume was created by Francois Robert as a modern chypre.

Top notes: peach, bergamot, lemon, plum and black currant. Heart: gardenia, tuberose, orange blossom, rose and jasmine. Base: sandalwood, oak moss, patchouli, amber and white musk.

It is available as 50 and 100 ml EDP.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Peach Black Currant Plum

Jasmine African Orange flower Gardenia Tuberose Rose

Musk Sandalwood Patchouli oak moss Amber

Jil Sander No 4

Plum Fragrance Reviews

fuzzybutt59
fuzzybutt59

Loving Decodawn's reveiw.I have the EDP & it is amazing.I know all four of the Mary Greenwell frags.and would say they are all very Unisex.
Plum explodes on your skin with a blast of pink peppercorn & Mirabelle plum.
Don't be fooled though as it evolves into a very sensual woody semi-floriental.
Very long lasting,the longevity (on me) about 10 hours.Clings to clothing,pillows etc.
Very similar to the very precious Balahe by Leonard but not quite as deep.
If you see this discounted (Fragrance Shop) - £28.5o for 100ml) buy it.

LeonieB
LeonieB

Bought an Ebay sample having read list of "modern Classics". Hmmmmm......

A pleasant, generic fruity floral. For those of us of a certain age, I am transported to 1990s Selfridges, heaving with power-flower hits like Kenzo and Ysatis. Not subtle or complex, not a classic. Bit boring actually.

But... i like that you young things are trying this out rather than sticking with the ads. Keep going......!

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

This one was a total scrubber for me-I bought a carded sample to test, and used only the tiniest smidge of it. I don't get any plum or fruit at all, its overwhelmingly white floral. I found it harsh and bitter, almost to the extent of being painful to my nose. It gave me a headache because the tuberose and jasmine was so intense and overpowering. To me this was quite dated, not old fashioned, but dated like a 1980s powerbomb fragrance.

shushkin
shushkin

Huh! I have Jill Sander no 4 and this is no where near as strong as the glorious and wonderful JS no 4. Its definitely a sweet plummy and white floral mix. There is lots of patchouli and some zing from the bergamot. Weak as ditch water. Not impressed

rachinbrooklyn
rachinbrooklyn

I have only been wearing it for a few days, but it definitely grew on me. This is definitely a VERY ladylike scent, and I mean that in the way that it is almost grandmother-ish, but for a very chic grandmother -- just those layers of stewed fruit and white florals and musk always put me in the headspace of an older, worldlier woman who has been some places and done some things. That's what this scent reminds me of -- and that's not a bad thing! But it is not very youthful, if that's what you are after. The plum note hits you right away but I find that it is the first to fade -- what you are left with is some sweet fruit, some amber underneath (not quite oud, but something smoky and woodsy), and a lot of florals rounding it out. I truly like it, and will wear it often, but it's not quite the chypre it claims to be.

That all said, I'm finding myself drawn to it a lot. And the bottle is simply gorgeous -- weighty and solid and really feels like a jewel on your vanity.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This is a plum being gang-banged by a parade of jasmine and tuberose. Very heady, staunch white florals almost suffocated me in the opening, after which I was overcome by patchouli, another note which I never appreciate having prominence.

For me this was a definite no go. Too loud and uptight. The tuberose gives it that 'Chairwoman of the Tea & Scones Committee" vibe.

It's extremely dense and heavy too, so if you do like the composition, I would exercise a bit of care with the nozzle.

Another thing that's extremely dense and heavy, is the cap. I don't quite understand the designer's logic in making it weigh so much, but I guess you could use it as a paper-weight when the juice has run out.

becuille
becuille

This one just isn't for me. I love plum, but I don't detect it at all here. The name seems a bit (a big bit) of a misnomer considering the sheer heady volume of white florals going on here.

It doesn't feel like a fragrance that's been created with consideration. By that I mean, the florals are a kind of hodgepodge mix that don't seem to have been treated in a way that allows them to compliment each other. They're just kind of... dumped there?

I've said it several times in reviews here, but jasmine doesn't work well on my skin in most cases. I'm also not the biggest fan of tuberose. So not wanting to leave a purely negative review on something that may just be down to my body chemistry, I had my mother try this as she wears both jasmine and tuberose beautifully. Her first words were "Where's the plum?" Her next words were "Oh god, this smells like something I'd have worn in the 70s before I knew any better!"

I'm sorry this review is so negative, but I just can't find anything positive to say about this one. There's just too much going on and none of it is plum.

Scentmad
Scentmad

Bought this on a recommendation. I'm not as enthralled as the person who recommended it to me, just OK. On my skin it's nohing special, a little old fashioned and not as plummy as I had hoped. Meh.

trueblue19
trueblue19

Not bad but nothing special. The fruity phase is fresh and mouthwatering, I get both the sweetness and sourness, a real plum in 3D. Then there comes the shy tuberose but as I prefer bold tuberose this is not impressive. Soon it falls into a soapy gardenia scent, not annoying but boring, sort of granny's cold creamish, which lasts to the end with a bit added powdery and earthy notes. Another easily forgotten ok scent.

Why in heaven's name is Mary Greenwell PLUM called "PLUM"? I donned this potion on this eve of Christmas eve expecting to smell like a Christmas cake, and instead I am drowning in white petals! If there is a plum in here somewhere, it has been smothered to death by jasmine, gardenia, tuberose, orange blossom, and rose--well, those were the flowers I immediately identified--and, yes: unbelievably, they are all present and accounted for, here at perfume concentration!

Run for the hills, anyone prone to white flower headaches! I am not, but even I am finding this to be an unexpectedly heady mix. The opening of this composition is as floral as a floral perfume can possible get. I am truly baffled by its name. Why? White floral lovers might walk right by, while those looking for gourmand plum--or any plum, for that matter--may actually be horrified.

Well, that's enough ranting about the name. As a member of the class of big, fat, white floral perfumes to which it belongs, PLUM is good. There is a bit more of a detectable fruitiness by the drydown, but I could and would never have identified this as plum. To me, the very light trace of fruit smells closer to peach. But that's just a detail next to the true demeanor of this seriously floral perfume with 1980s sillage.

-----------------------
Addendum:

Gardenia ended up winning the battle of the white flowers, and after a couple of hours the pitch was simply too high for me, so I had to take a bath.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

I got a purse spray of this from my good friend Sue. It makes a nice, cosy winter scent. I cannot see any resemblence to Jill Sander 4 though (that was an absolute scrubber on me). It is at this point in time though I cannot feel irriated when I read reviews with the word 'masterpiece' or the like in it: ugh, I hate hyperbolic reviews. It's nice, but it AIN'T a classic masterpiece.

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

PLUM is everything I'm looking for in a perfume. It deserves its name as it starts and continues with a delicious juicy plum note only to be deepened and enriched by well-blended white florals. I honestly had low expectations for this due to the recent negative reviews. But NO! This is just beautiful beyond words. I almost feel drunk when I smell this on my skin! Highly recommended for plum lovers who can also tame those big white florals. 10 out of 10! LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!!!

Farida Haque
Farida Haque

PLUM ..... It's a bit of an anticlimax after reading hyperbolic reviews. Fairly ordinary, definitely overpriced. Doesn't come close to being 'timeless' or a 'classic'. All the notes are very much there, but thrown together like a vapid attempt at creating a masterpiece. The hefty bottle is quite remarkable tho. But it's the perfume I was after. If you're lusting after chypres and standout quality, go for the Diors and Guerlains. Theres something about trends that's a bit unpalatable. Every perfume house and their aunts are churning out fruity/ woody/ exotic elixirs. But alas, very few have come up to my expectations. My favorites are the Frederic Malle line. Check em out. As for Plum, it qualifies as the Lemon on my shelf! I blush at falling victim, yet again, to clever marketing.

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

The top note of plum, though so fleeting, is very true. The rest of the fragrance is well done, blended and smooth. It does remind me of other fragrances that I already have, so it could be some time before I spring for a bottle. But very classy in its genre.

Kterhark
Kterhark

So, my samples from Lucky scent arrived today (5), and I tested them blindly to see what came to mind before marketing influence set in. Here are my thoughts with Plum: 'white floral, not high end, muddled formula'.

OK, now that I"m wearing it, and I know all the hoopla behind the creator, what do I think of it now...

I think this will get lost in the crowd. Its a nice enough formula, and I can picture those who might wear it, but really this is a fruity floral thats been done before. I don't think anyone would mistake this for a chypre.

I can't say that its stinky, but with my scent profile those white notes get pretty frightening, and they amplify over time so beware. There is some sense of base notes that try to come through, but they are either too small a percentage of the composition or too low in quality to make any difference.

Alright, not my favorite from the lot.

saoirse.cassidy
saoirse.cassidy

A seductive, deeply nuanced perfume that floats gently on the skin and leaves a bubble of femininty and seductiveness without the overpowering musk or overly sweet notes that dominate the current market.

It is a timeless fragrance, I as a 20 year old have shared it with my sister and we both love it as a sophisticated night time scent. It can be worn during the day but it exudes the luxury of a silk ballgown and is more suited to formal affairs.

My only dislike? The price. It is expensive, yes, but that is mainly due to the bottle sizes. As someone used to getting a 30ml bottle of perfume it is quite a jump to a 50ml or 100ml of a luxury perfume. But keep an eye out on ebay for a bargain, but don't expect it for less than 30-40 pounds.

lovealotbare
lovealotbare

It has been a good many years since I have graced my nose over a fragrance and said " omg a modern classic" This is how a REAL perfume smells and I was pleasantly supprised to find it away from the niche perfume counter As I rarely can afford them... in fact its in a chain department store! (UK)
Now that i am a " grown up married lady" I have been trying to find classic smells in "grown up" bottles.
My all time signiture is now Boudoir. But one can't wear Boudoir every day... its too naughty. My previous signiture include Classic JPG, parfam or eau de parfam, Ysatis (original formula) and even original Lolita Lempicka.
And Fracas is my v. special occasion
one as it was chosen for my wedding... we both wore tuberose and orange blossom based scent.
#With all this in mind, I'm suprised Plum graded as Chypre. not sure I've ever bought a chypre?
I would have put it as fruity / spicey. It has a hint of classic poison, which I could never wear ( made me sick! literally, as doeas l'heure blue and i love it so!))
You can smell fruity ( not the 'everywhere cheap type) sparkling top notes, a more elegant less sharp fruity, and a warmer sweeter plum jam in the middle and then its kind of flashes a bit green but thankfully for me that doesn't last. I'm then left with a nuzzling sweet ever so slight ickle bit chypre on the back of the nose.... a little like fiji on my aunties scarf.... kind of just there.
I understand the whole madame rochas, not sure if you were talking original formular caleche, which is what i'd call a REAL chypre. This is just a disinct much more wearable as is much more modern.
Finnaly a sophisticated perfume for someone under 45!

Decodawn
Decodawn

Mary Greenwell is an Icon and Make up Artist to Princess Diana and a wealth of beautiful models and celebrities. Her first fragrance Plum is a gorgeous fragrance created by 4th generation perfumer Francois Robert. The fragrance is currently sold exclusively from House of Fraser stores and is a very high end product, the bottle is amazing a beautiful heavy cut glass bottle with a 22ct gold plated round heavy lid, the packaging is beautifully presented in a bright pink box with apple green lining. The 'Plum' collection consists of Purse Spray - £25.00, scented candle - £36.00, 50ml edp - £60.00 Solid fragrance in a beautiful gold oval perfect to adorn any ladies dressing table and finally the 100ml bottle of edp at £90.00. A must for any lover of fine fragrances, a wonderful Christmas gift. The fragrance is just heavenly and it reminds me very much of Madam Rochas and Caleche by Hermes which I found quite extraordinary as I found out by complete accident by googling that Guy Robert was the creator of these fragrances and he is the Father of Francois Robert. A perfect gift for any lady who adores chypres, one of my all time favourite fragrances has to be Mitsouko by Guerlain and also I have worn for more years than I care to remember No 5 by Chanel. If you love a classic chypre (pronounced sheepray) then I am positive that you will love 'Plum' as Mary Greenwell says herself her fragrance is "Exotic, intoxicating and sensual, Plum is simple, timeless and age irrelative" Mary grew up in England and has many happy memories of the English countyside and the smell of the soil in the ground. Enjoy!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Mary Greenwell Plum fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Mary Greenwell Plum, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Plum by Mary Greenwell. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Plum by Mary Greenwell represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.